PDA

View Full Version : [Music] The Guitar Thread

elevenism
12-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Do you play guitar?
And what sort do you own?

both of my parents play, so i started early, at seven years old. i'm 35, so that's 28 years.

i'm not as good as i should be, but i'll go out on a limb and say that i'm PRETTY fucking good.

I just got this acoustic electric fender gc140. it's got a DEEP cutaway, and i swear to god the neck feels like an electric.

but it's LOUD.

So do you play? How long have you been playing? What's your favorite guitar etc etc yam yam yam...

Vertigo
12-24-2015, 03:58 PM
I've been playing with varying intensity for 5 years (am now 30), and I'll go out on a limb and say that I suck like an opened dropship bay airlock on a Colonial Marine transport ship. I'm still learning new techniques, and have negligible ability to hold a song in my head (not that I try particularly hard - I'm usually either playing basic stuff in guitar class or reading note prompts in Rocksmith), and am currently trying to get my head around music theory.

I have two guitars, one electric and one classical. Electric guitar's a white Squier Strat with Deluxe parts, it's got decent sustain and power for a budget guitar, but the sixth string buzzes easily.
Classical guitar is cheap too, but it's just lovely - an absolutely beautiful, clear, melodious sound that carries well, with lots of low-frequency. Even my amateurish fumblings sound godlike on it. Only downside is that the frets above 12 are on the body, so are barely usable. It's an Aria AK 200, and I'd recommend it without hesitation.

:edit for pics:

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/LordVertigo/Forum%20stuff/squier_zpsauiwdnlc.jpg http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/LordVertigo/Forum%20stuff/aria_zpswbjfriuq.jpg

elevenism
12-25-2015, 05:06 AM
Those are pretty guitars, @Vertigo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=628)

and i doubt you suck, if you are taking lessons and learning music theory.
if you keep that up, there's nothing to stop you from becoming phenomenal.

Conan The Barbarian
12-25-2015, 07:05 AM
Been playing since about 16 years old. Self taught. Now I'm no Steve vai, but I consider myself pretty good. I'm more of a songwriter and rythym player than a flashy lead. But I can pull of some tricks.

My first and main guitar is a Jackson ps-4 performer with Seymour Duncan blackouts i had installed from hears ago. Tuned to standard c#. My second guitar is an ibanez art 300 with that nifty scale looking finish. That one is tuned to standard D currently. I run those through a Laney LV300 amp with a Marshall 4x12 cab.

As far effects go, I really only have two stompboxes, a boss metal zone. And a digitech overdrive. But ever since I was young I was a budget player so processors were my thing. I have my rp1000 handling my effects while the Laney handles the rest of the work load.

I record stuff but for my pleasure only. Used to play live but those days are over. I still play, but being a family man these days I wish I would play more.

Alexandros
12-25-2015, 07:28 AM
So, I've been thinking of trying to learn to play the electric guitar. I am 32 years old and have no previous experience with music theory or instruments whatsoever. Anyone has any advice on the whole process? Or maybe can suggest some useful online sources?

wizfan
12-25-2015, 07:47 AM
So, I've been thinking of trying to learn to play the electric guitar. I am 32 years old and have no previous experience with music theory or instruments whatsoever. Anyone has any advice on the whole process? Or maybe can suggest some useful online sources?

Look for Paul Gilbert's Ibanez videos, they were very helpful to me.

Conan The Barbarian
12-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Be patient, start out slow. Practice technique and discipline.

You gotta have heart and want it. Because you can pull off tricks to get the girls, or boys, but your song writing will be shit.

And have fun lol.

Edit: also learn the ins and outs of your guitar. To me its part of the fun and also important because if there is a problem you will be able to pin point the problem and fix it yourself.

elevenism
12-26-2015, 03:06 AM

i would like to add that believe it or not, if you have rhythm, you will be able to play some simple songs in a couple of months. but like Conan The Barbarian said, you have to WANT it.

i've taught a couple of people how to play.

the first thing i suggest learning are chords. and find a song you like that uses a few simple chords. then work your ass off for 8-12 weeks, and you will be thrilled to find yourself able to play it! i would go so far as to say that it's not as hard as everybody thinks it is.

also, in this day and age, i would think that it would be helpful to get a curriculum. go to the guitar store and get a comprehensive book for beginners that comes with a CD, DVD, or even a computer program.

another great help would be finding a friend who plays and is willing to teach you.