PDA

View Full Version : Quicksand / Rival Schools

cicada
11-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Couldn't find a thread on here, so here it is....

This is an old band that, personally, I only discovered in the last 12 months.
I actually can't believe that I missed them when these releases were current, United By Fate is such a cool record, but I guess just one of those bands that slipped through the cracks for me.

Any fans? Thoughts? Haters? Proponents of meh?

perceptionnexus
11-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Ah yes, Rival Schools. I saw them at a local legion hall-type building soon after United By Fate came out back in late 2001. They were opening for Dashboard Confessional, and I remember the show was probably about 4 months before Dashboard were being played on MTV. I wasn't at all into Dashboard, but out of boredom I went along with some friends who were pretty into them. There were like 100 people there, max. Didn't know much about Rival Schools at time, but they kicked complete ass and stole the show. I bought the CD that very night and basically wore it out that winter. Damn good memories. I haven't listened to their subsequent output very closely, but am kinda tempted to now that I'm thinking about them again. Seriously, they were amazing that night.

A couple years later, I saw the guitar player Ian's other band Cardia opening for Year of The Rabbit. I thought they were just as good as Rival Schools, was kinda disappointed that they didn't do anything after their debut album.

Shadaloo
11-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Never heard of 'em, but anybody who names themselves after a classic Capcom fighter can't be bad. That game ate a lot of my tokens.

jmtd
12-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Used for Glue, great tune. I found the CD single in a charity shop in the last year or so.

cicada
12-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Rival Schools are great. United By Fate is an underground classic.

The lead singer used to be -- and now is again -- in a 90s band called Quicksand before Rival Schools. They released two albums, both excellent. Definitely track down and give those a go if you're digging the RS stuff

Cool thx, the only thing I can find on Google Music is a 4 track self titled thing. Ill peep the underground channels and dig them up though.

Ah yes, Rival Schools. I saw them at a local legion hall-type building soon after United By Fate came out back in late 2001. They were opening for Dashboard Confessional, and I remember the show was probably about 4 months before Dashboard were being played on MTV. I wasn't at all into Dashboard, but out of boredom I went along with some friends who were pretty into them. There were like 100 people there, max. Didn't know much about Rival Schools at time, but they kicked complete ass and stole the show. I bought the CD that very night and basically wore it out that winter. Damn good memories. I haven't listened to their subsequent output very closely, but am kinda tempted to now that I'm thinking about them again. Seriously, they were amazing that night.

A couple years later, I saw the guitar player Ian's other band Cardia opening for Year of The Rabbit. I thought they were just as good as Rival Schools, was kinda disappointed that they didn't do anything after their debut album.

That show sounds amazing. I would def check out their other releases, Pedals and Found are both great IMO. Am listening to Cardia riggght.... now.

Good to see there are some fans here, United By Fate is such a killer album.

ZeroSum
12-02-2015, 01:01 AM
LOOOVE Walter. Such a classic underground figure. His voice is absolutely iconic to me, there's nothing quite like it.

I am a pretty diehard Quicksand fan. Such a cool band. They should have been massive. I was lucky enough to see them a few years ago when they went on tour and they kicked all sorts of ass. I had just gotten cheated on around that time and my buddy surprised me with tickets to cheer me up. Perfect medicine. I honestly don't remember being sad about my ex at any point after that.

Can't say I've listened to Rival Schools as much, though I will maintain that United by Fate is a killer album. There are a few songs on it that blow me away every time I listen to it. Pedals and Found were nice surprises, but I can't say I've gone back to them too frequently. I love when Walter is being loud as hell. Thus, Quicksand is tough to turn away from...

cicada
12-02-2015, 07:00 PM
but they grow on you immensely once you spend enough time with their music.

Yeah agree with this 100%

On Walter, it's interesting he was involved with so many bands and side projects, but never seemed able to nail one thing down for an extended period to really flesh it out to its end.

bobbie solo
06-27-2021, 03:17 AM
is this the closest thing to a Walter/Quicksand thread we have? That's sad.

anyway...new Quicksand record out soon! Fall Tour! New song, and its great (duh):

https://youtu.be/p8yGlK8cZek

cdm
06-28-2021, 10:25 AM
REALLY looking forward to this album but I don't think I'm ready to pack into the Stone Pony just yet.

bobbie solo
06-28-2021, 04:47 PM
I'll be at that Pony show. The Bowery show is on my bday and too close to Halloween.

cdm
06-29-2021, 07:44 AM
I'll be at that Pony show. The Bowery show is on my bday and too close to Halloween.

We'll see how things look in Oct, I suppose.

cdm
08-11-2021, 09:12 AM
Two more days until the digital drops! Man, this release really snuck up on me.

armogi
08-13-2021, 03:49 PM
distant populations is awesome, wow
its' possibly better than interiors even, great great band.

cdm
08-14-2021, 07:28 AM
Colossus and Rodan are the standout tracks for me after one listen. EMDR sounds early Tool-esque. I love how their sound has evolved.

https://youtu.be/gOSWyHYmc44

richardp
08-15-2021, 01:16 AM
Man I've listened to this album 6 times today and just keep on coming back to it. It's short but the pacing is perfect. The mixing is top notch, and Sergio is BOOMIN'. Each song has really memorable and extremely catchy hooks. This album fucking RULES.

caca
08-15-2021, 02:00 PM
Really digging this album. I see they're going to be in Phoenix in October. This might just be my first show since late 2019.

bobbie solo
08-15-2021, 04:32 PM
Brodsky from Cave-In/Mutoid Man is playing 2nd guitar in that Colossus live video. A man can dream that he will actually be manning 2nd guitar on the tour that starts up soon. And if not, I hope they have someone playing backup to Walter. Last time I saw them as a 3 piece out on tour with GJ you could def. feel it missing.

cdm
08-16-2021, 09:22 AM
In case anyone is interested in a Pedals reissue: https://www.srcvinyl.com/rival-schools-pedals-180-gram-translucent-red-lp.html?utm_source=remarkety&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Rival%20Schools%2C%20Garbage&utm_content=&_rmId=wBplAw3JYASlZ0kOpzOOf7rjjxpBQqtdEdew50dL

otnavuskire
08-16-2021, 11:28 AM
Doesn't Brodsky already have enough bands already between Cave In, Mutoid Man, and Old Man Gloom? Dude's a machine.

bobbie solo
08-18-2021, 02:29 AM
Narrow Head is opening the Quicksand tour! Excellent band, with some def. post-hardcore & various 90's alt influences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty8ut7dly5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG6MaNseiYk

cdm
08-31-2021, 10:21 AM
It's official:

CTPjemCjxl9

cdm
09-24-2021, 08:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Go-cmC52c

This is so good. Yesterday I found out my new neighbor is going to this show and has an extra but I can't bring myself to go when my son is in school and isn't vaccinated yet. I'm bummed I'm going to miss this.

bobbie solo
09-25-2021, 03:39 AM
excited for this Wednesday down the shore!

cdm
08-05-2022, 11:19 AM
Rival Schools - United By Fate getting a deluxe vinyl treatment on 8/8/22 >> https://rivalschoolsnyc.com/Deluxe

armogi
08-05-2022, 12:08 PM
Rival Schools - United By Fate getting a deluxe vinyl treatment on 8/8/22 >> https://rivalschoolsnyc.com/Deluxe

interesting tracklist, it doesn't seem to include all the songs from that era's singles but it does include some unreleased stuff too, very curious! I hope for a digital release too....

cdm
08-05-2022, 12:24 PM
interesting tracklist, it doesn't seem to include all the songs from that era's singles but it does include some unreleased stuff too, very curious! I hope for a digital release too....

Yeah, you're right. I don't think I've heard anything on Side D. Unless they're reworked / retitled WFC songs.

bobbie solo
08-06-2022, 03:28 AM
https://bravewords.com/medias-static/images/news/2022/clutchnatour622.jpeg

https://c.tenor.com/ODYmqSQPPhsAAAAd/no-sir-i-dont-like-it.gif

But...I do get it.

cdm
08-08-2022, 09:37 AM
$100 for the 2LP deluxe...that's salty.

cdm
08-31-2022, 10:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvpX7s0Bao

Apparently a leftover track from the Distant Populations sessions. Unsure if this will be part of a forthcoming album. For now, just a single "Exclusively on cassette at shows" <eyeroll>

Fucking love it, especially that bass.

cdm
05-18-2023, 07:15 AM
excited for this Wednesday down the shore!

You checking out any of the Rival Schools shows this weekend? I saw them last night in Garwood. Sounded great with the original lineup, played United By Fate in full.

bobbie solo
05-30-2023, 01:30 AM
You checking out any of the Rival Schools shows this weekend? I saw them last night in Garwood. Sounded great with the original lineup, played United By Fate in full.

I could not make that show sadly. I had No Pressure/Koyo/Fleshwater the next night, then Superheaven/Cloakroom the night after that. Too many showssss.

I bet we'll see more Rival Schools shows later this year. Sucks though, b/c Crossroads is a perfect venue. Gonna try and make the Braid & Snapcase shows in July.

Side note: I caught Narrow Head a week ago at Mercury Lounge. They had opened a Quicksand tour a few years ago & that's when I got into them. They finish their set & everyone is shuffling back out of the venue...and who do I see? Walter. He's talking in hushed tones but also demonstrably one of the guitarists for NH. Seemed like he was giving him pointers. He had a grin on his face, so it was def. a good interaction. So awesome to see...Walter is just that dude. Literal legend of the scene, yet comes out on a Monday to support one of his openers that are more than half his age.

cdm
05-31-2023, 10:54 AM
I could not make that show sadly. I had No Pressure/Koyo/Fleshwater the next night, then Superheaven/Cloakroom the night after that. Too many showssss.

I bet we'll see more Rival Schools shows later this year. Sucks though, b/c Crossroads is a perfect venue. Gonna try and make the Braid & Snapcase shows in July.

Side note: I caught Narrow Head a week ago at Mercury Lounge. They had opened a Quicksand tour a few years ago & that's when I got into them. They finish their set & everyone is shuffling back out of the venue...and who do I see? Walter. He's talking in hushed tones but also demonstrably one of the guitarists for NH. Seemed like he was giving him pointers. He had a grin on his face, so it was def. a good interaction. So awesome to see...Walter is just that dude. Literal legend of the scene, yet comes out on a Monday to support one of his openers that are more than half his age.

Walter is just so incredibly nice. Elder statesman but doesn't take himself too seriously. I said hello / thanks after the set and asked if he'd bring Quicksand back to Crossroads and he replied with an "oh yeah".

cdm
06-20-2023, 09:13 AM
Yoooooooooo!

Cttv2PzNQu2