05 Astro-Creep 2000 - White Zombie
06 Elastica - Elastica
07 Southpaw Grammar - Morrissey
08 Mellon Collie... - Smashing Pumpkins
09 The Bends - Radiohead
10 Infernal Love - Therapy?

GulDukat
07-14-2015, 10:18 AM
How could I forget Garbage's self titled?

LaneSax
07-14-2015, 10:34 AM
1. Oasis - (What's the story) Morning Glory?
2. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
3. Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains
4. Garbage - Garbage
5. Blur - The Great Escape
6. Skid Row - sUBHUMAN rACE
7. RHCP - One Hot Minute
8. Deftones - Adrenaline
9. Alanis Morissette -Jagged Little Pill
10. White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000

Exocet
07-14-2015, 10:42 AM
I loved 1995. It was a great year for music. More of a singles type year, than an album type year. There was loads of great music about.

1..Goldie..Timeless
2..Radiohead..The Bends
3..Leftfield..Leftism
4..Slowdive.. Pygmallion
5..Boards of Canada..Twoism
6..Low..Long Division
7..Elastica..Elastica
8..Bjork..Post
9..Oasis..Whats the Story Morning Glory
10..Tricky.. Maxinquaye

blackholesun
07-14-2015, 12:05 PM
1. Swans - The Great Annihilator
2. Red House Painters - Ocean Beach
3. Low - Long Division
4. Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
5. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
6. Autechre - Tri repetae
7. Pavement - Wowee Zowee
8. Rachel's - Handwriting
9. Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
10. Labradford - A Stable Reference

thevoid99
07-14-2015, 02:29 PM
1. PJ Harvey-To Bring You My Love
2. Bjork-Post
3. Radiohead-The Bends
4. Pulp-Different Class
5. Slowdive-Pygmalion
6. Garbage-S/T
7. Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
8. Tricky-Maxinquaye
9. Oasis-(What's the Story) Morning Glory?
10. Elastica-S/T

Man, that was a good year in albums. A lot of those records still hold up.

frankie teardrop
07-14-2015, 02:51 PM
1. david bowie- 1. outside
2. garbage- s/t
3. scott walker- tilt
4. slowdive- pygmalion
5. smashing pumpkins- mellon collie and the infinite sadness
6. swans- the great annihilator
7. pj harvey- to bring you my love
8. leftfield- leftism
9. the verve- a northern soul
10. autechre- tri repetae

Deepvoid
07-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Here's my top 10. I was in the peak of my NIN/Manson phase. Posters everyone in my room, school locker room etc .. It was all about NIN/Manson. The rest of my catalog was mostly punkrock and some alt. rock stuff.

1. Nine Inch Nails - Further Down The Spiral
2. Marilyn Manson - Smells Llike Children
3. Filter - Short Bus
4. Green Day - Insomniac
5. NOFX - I Heard They Suck Live!
6. Local H - Ham Fisted
7. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
8. Our Lady Peace - Naveed
9. Deftones - Adrenaline
10. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness

I could have easily done a Top 30.
From Chemical Brothers, Aphex Twin to Silverchair, 311, Better Than Ezra, Garbage passing by Blink-182, AFI, MXPX, Millencolin & Pennywise.
I've danced so many slows to "These Days" from Bon Jovi. What about Alanis Morissette. Still a killer album as far as I am concerned.
I could have put White Zombie, No Doubt, Radiohead in that mix too.

Holy shit!! I never realized how many significant (for me at least) albums were released 1995. That's insane!

Sorry about the edited post but I had to add a comment.

Noticing some albums are showing up on a lot of lists. This gives you an idea of the quality of the music being released during those years compared to today.
More importantly, those records have passed the test of time.
I literally still have 9 out of the 10 albums I listed on my phone. Sorry NOFX ...

Add most of the artists out of my top 10 to my phone too. I can barely discovery a couple new artists per year. I always go back to the mid to late nineties.

ManBurning
07-14-2015, 03:29 PM
1995, without a doubt, is one of the best years in music! So many fantastic albums!
I remember this being a hard year to pick a "BEST" album for in that "in your lifetime, the best album per year" thread we did a while ago.

1. Rammstein - Herzeleid
2. KMFDM - NIHIL
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie...
4. Rancid - And out come the wolves
5. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
6. Fear Factory - Demanufacture
7. Deftones - Adrenaline
8. White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000
9. Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
10. Green Day - Insomniac

Jinsai
07-14-2015, 03:41 PM
1. Autechre - Tri Repetae
2. David Bowie - Outside
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
4. Aphex Twin - I Care Because You do
5. Pavement - Wowee Zowee
6. Bjork - Post
7. Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
8. Fugazi - Red Medicine
9. Oval - 94 Diskont
10. 2Pac - Me Against the World

but since most of that list has been named already, and since 1995 was an awesome year for music, I'd want to include:

Yoshinori Sunahara - Crossover
Swans - The Great Annihilator
Hallucinogen - Twisted
Radiohead - The Bends
Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes
Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura
Luna - Penthouse
Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
Wilco - AM
Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime
Superchunk - Here's Where the Strings Come In
KMFDM - Nihil
Elliott Smith - self titled
Scott Walker - Tilt
Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
Mr Bungle - Disco Volante
Deftones - Adrenaline

BRoswell
07-14-2015, 03:54 PM
...I Care Because You Do-Aphex Twin
Twoism-Boards Of Canada
Outside-David Bowie
Long Division-Low
Further Down The Spiral-Nine Inch Nails
The Bends-Radiohead
Pygmalion-Slowdive
The Great Annihilator-Swans
Exit Planet Dust-The Chemical Brothers
Astro Creep 2000-White Zombie

elevenism
07-14-2015, 05:21 PM
I'll play.

1. Bowie-Outsdide
2. Old 97-s Wreck Your Life
3. Tricky-Maxinequay
4. Pearl Jam-Vitalogy
5. The Prodigy-Music for the Jilted Generation
6.Primus- Tales From the Punchbowl
7. Tupac Shakur-Me Against the World
8.Michael Jackson-HIStory
9. Oasis-Morning Glory
10. Boards of Canada-Twoism

Damn, Deepvoid , i had the opposite problem. Most of my favorite bands released one in 93 and one in 96 or something along those lines.
I had a hard time with this. Portishead, Broadcast, Baxter, Live, The Fugees, Type O Negative, The Breeders, Primus, PFP/Jane's Addiction, Too; etc etc etc...
Some of the stuff i thought i was listening to when i was fifteen actually didn't come out until 2000 or so. Or, it came out when i was in middle school and i was still listening to it.

Some of you guys have good taste. Bowie's Outside is pretty much my favorite album of all time. Maxinequay is up there. Goldie is the shit too.

All of mine i was actually in to back then, except for BOC. They are one of my very favorite bands, but i actually didn't get in to them until i was a little older, which is why they are at number ten. I was 15 and in love with the world. It was a fun time in my life.

Mantra
07-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Mellon Collie, Maxinquaye, Liquid Swords and I Care Because You Do.

That's basically all I'd salvage, the rest is just whatever to me. These days I'm all about getting to the essentials of life.

Edit: Actually this thread inspired me to listen to Long Division for the first time in years, and yeah, this is actually a fucking good album, damn.

GulDukat
07-14-2015, 05:58 PM
I'll play.

1. Bowie-Outsdide
2. Old 97-s Wreck Your Life
3. Tricky-Maxinequay
4. Pearl Jam-Vitalogy
6.Primus- Tales From the Punchbowl
7. Tupac Shakur-Me Against the World
8.Michael Jackson-HIStory
9. Oasis-Morning Glory
10. Boards of Canada-Twoism

Damn, @Deepvoid (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=676) , i had the opposite problem. Most of my favorite bands released one in 93 and one in 96 or something along those lines.
I had a hard time with this. Portishead, Broadcast, Baxter, Live, The Fugees, Type O Negative, The Breeders, Primus, PFP/Jane's Addiction, Too; etc etc etc...
Some of the stuff i thought i was listening to when i was fifteen actually didn't come out until 2000 or so. Or, it came out when i was in middle school and i was still listening to it.

Some of you guys have good taste. Bowie's Outside is pretty much my favorite album of all time. Maxinequay is up there. Goldie is the shit too.

All of mine i was actually in to back then, except for BOC. They are one of my very favorite bands, but i actually didn't get in to them until i was a little older, which is why they are at number ten. I was 15 and in love with the world. It was a fun time in my life.
Sorry to be a dick, but Vitalogy came out in 1994.

Exocet
07-14-2015, 06:22 PM

This came out in 94 too.

reading some of the post my mind boggles how i forgot some of my favourite albums Chemical Brothers..Exit Planet Dust and Aphex Twins..I Care Because You Do..and Autechres Tri Repeate

Was this the year Grunge died? I think Grunge fans had a hard time in this year... i mostly remember it was the year of Britpop Oasis/Blur chart battles and when TripHop really took off. .

Deepvoid
07-14-2015, 06:24 PM
elevenism The 90s was a golden era for alternative rock. I miss it so much. Being 14 was fun.

GulDukat
07-14-2015, 07:43 PM
This came out in 94 too.

reading some of the post my mind boggles how i forgot some of my favourite albums Chemical Brothers..Exit Planet Dust and Aphex Twins..I Care Because You Do..and Autechres Tri Repeate

Was this the year Grunge died? I think Grunge fans had a hard time in this year... i mostly remember it was the year of Britpop Oasis/Blur chart battles and when TripHop really took off. .

Here is how I break-up the 1990's. At least for rock.

1990-mid 1991- Cock-rock, i.e., Poison, Warrant, etc.
1991-1994- grunge, i.e., the big 4
1995- 1998- post-grunge, i.e., Silverchair, Bush
1998-2001 nu-metal, i.e, Limp Dogshit, Korn

Not 100 percent acurate, as you have bands like the Pumpkins and NIN who weren't grunge and around the whole decade. And then where does Brit pop and other sub rock genres fit in?

elevenism
07-14-2015, 07:46 PM
oh, goddamnit Exocet and RhettButler .

lolz.

You aren't being dicks at all by laying facts on me. It's all to the good, you are just speaking the truth. Some website told me that they came out in 95.

ok...then throw in FSOL-ISDN and...i don't fucking know...Trace by Son Volt, Above by Mad Season...

and OH SHIT! I'm looking at a list of records that came out in 95 I didn't realize that E.1999 Eternal by Bone Thugs and Harmony came out that year. That one would actually be a 2 or 3 for me...one of my favorite records of all time. I don't know if you guys got into it, but i LOVE that shit.

GulDukat
07-14-2015, 07:50 PM
oh, goddamnit @Exocet (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4836) and @RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) .

lolz.

You aren't being dicks at all by laying facts on me. It's all to the good, you are just speaking the truth. Some website told me that they came out in 95.

ok...then throw in FSOL-ISDN and...i don't fucking know...Trace by Son Volt, Above by Mad Season...

and OH SHIT! I'm looking at a list of records that came out in 95 I didn't realize that E.1999 Eternal by Bone Thugs and Harmony came out that year. That one would actually be a 2 or 3 for me...one of my favorite records of all time. I don't know if you guys got into it, but i LOVE that shit.
Vitalogy came out in late 1994, so it's kind of arbitrary. If it came out six weeks later it would count as a 1995 release. If Van Halen's Balance was released a month earlier, it would count as a 1994 release.

elevenism
07-14-2015, 07:51 PM
And yes, @Exocet (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4836) , i think that it WAS the year grunge fell off.

Everyone was scrambling to be/sign the next big thing. For one thing, that was about the time the term "electronica" was coined. You had bands like prodigy, the chemical brothers, and moby starting to pick up steam.

Then you had the alt-country thing. There were bands like Whiskeytown, and for instance, my friend philip's band, the old 97's. They were expected to be the "next big thing." They got signed to Elektra records. They got sent out on Lollapalooza. And then, it didn't work and they were dropped.

GulDukat
07-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Speaking of 1995 albums, I fucking love Jagged Little Pill. It's upbeat, ernest, well-written, zeitgeistey and is the perfect time capsule of the mid 1990's.

elevenism
07-14-2015, 08:04 PM
RhettButler , her voice drives me nuts but i can respect what you're saying.

I liked the Jewel album.
Rather than being a sign of the times, i found that one to be rather timeless.

Kid Charlemagne
07-14-2015, 08:07 PM
1. Wowee Zowee- Pavement/Different Class- Pulp
2. To Bring You My Love- PJ Harvey
3. Do You Want More?!- The Roots
4. I Should CoCo- Supergrass
5. Alien Lanes- Guided by Voices
6. Pygmalion- Slowdive
7. Mirrorball-Neil Young
8. Elliott Smith- Elliott Smith
9. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx- Raekwon
10. Washing Machine- Sonic Youth

GulDukat
07-14-2015, 09:21 PM
@RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) , her voice drives me nuts but i can respect what you're saying.

I liked the Jewel album.
Rather than being a sign of the times, i found that one to be rather timeless.
I hear you, but at least that's her, no auto-tunes. Her attitude and spirit makes up for her vocal limitations, imho.

perceptionnexus
07-14-2015, 09:34 PM
A personal experiment-

Top ten of 1995- in 1995 (13 years old):

1. Hum- You'd Prefer An Astronaut
2. Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie
3. Filter- Short Bus
4. Babes In Toyland- Nemesisters
5. Elastica- S/T
6. Foo Fighters- S/T
7. Silverchair- Frogstomp
8. Green Day- Insomniac
9. Sponge- Rotting Pinata
10. Tripping Daisy- I Am an Elastic Firecracker

Top 10 of 1995- in 2015 (33 years old)
1. Hum- You'd Prefer An Astronaut
2. Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie
3. Prick- S/T
4. David Bowie- Outside
5. Blinker The Star- A Bourgeois Kitten
6. Medicine- Her Highness
7. Filter- Short Bus
8. White Zombie- Astro Creep 2000
9. Far- Tin Cans With Strings To You
10. KMFDM- Nihil

allegro
07-14-2015, 09:39 PM
* Pulp - "Different Class"
* PJ Harvey - "To Bring You My Love"
* D'Angelo - "Brown Sugar"
* Nine Inch Nails - "Further Down the Spiral"

1995 was a boring year for me.

frankie teardrop
07-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Vitalogy came out in late 1994, so it's kind of arbitrary. If it came out six weeks later it would count as a 1995 release. If Van Halen's Balance was released a month earlier, it would count as a 1994 release.

and if i had wheels i'd be a wagon!

...in all fairness, there's often a UK/US delay, and sometimes the press cycles for an album extend into the next year, so i can see where some recounts may get confusing, but gotta go by that hard release date.

kinda bummed i forgot about blur's the great escape on my list. i like it even more now than i did back then.

Here is how I break-up the 1990's. At least for rock.

1990-mid 1991- Cock-rock, i.e., Poison, Warrant, etc.
1991-1994- grunge, i.e., the big 4
1995- 1998- post-grunge, i.e., Silverchair, Bush
1998-2001 nu-metal, i.e, Limp Dogshit, Korn

Not 100 percent acurate, as you have bands like the Pumpkins and NIN who weren't grunge and around the whole decade. And then where does Brit pop and other sub rock genres fit in?

1990-1993 - peak of shoegaze
1993-1997 - rise and fall of britpop
1998 - the year all the guitar bands got on the electronica trend and proclaimed "rock is dead" to mostly varied results

elevenism
07-14-2015, 10:39 PM
there were records like Throwing Copper by Live that didn't get POPULAR until 95, but came out in 94.

But frankie teardrop is right...gotta go by hard release dates, especially if we fancy ourselves to be seriously into music.

Ryan
07-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Rammstein - Herzeleid

and whatever else was good that year, someone else add the other 9 for me

elevenism
07-14-2015, 10:46 PM
BTW, @Kid Charlemagne (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=92) , i THOUGHT about putting the Neil Young record and the Sonic Youth record into my top ten, as well as Springsteen's "The Ghost of Tom Joad." ( i really loved that one because i was really getting into steinbeck, and springsteen did The Grapes of Wrath justice by recording some of the tracks solo and acoustic at his house, with lyrics exploring the ruffer things about life at the time.)
They just didn't quite make my top ten.

I know you didn't mention the springsteen record. I was just thinking about the ones i ALMOST included.

ManBurning
07-15-2015, 03:11 AM
Rammstein - Herzeleid

and whatever else was good that year, someone else add the other 9 for me

Will do.

I'll just copy and paste my list here for Ryan.

1. Rammstein - Herzeleid
2. KMFDM - NIHIL
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie...
4. Rancid - And out come the wolves
5. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
6. Fear Factory - Demanufacture
7. Deftones - Adrenaline
8. White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000
9. Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
10. Green Day - Insomniac

Buuut.....

3. Prick- S/T

If that's true, i'm kicking Green Day off my #10 spot. I only put it there because I couldn't find a 10th album I cared about enough. But Prick - S/T is a FANTASTIC record deserving a spot on a "top 10 for 1995 list" hands down.

emptydesk
07-15-2015, 12:00 PM
God, ALIEN LANES is so beautiful.

The Doctor
07-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Okay, so here's the deal. My music taste has changed some from 1995 until now and there's so much that just wasn't on my radar as a freshman in high school. So for fun, how about my top 1995 records from how I felt back then vs. how I feel now in retrospect:

Then:
1. Oasis - What's The Story
2. Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
3. Van Halen - Balance
4. Faith No More - KFAD
5. 311 - 311
6. Foo Fighters - S/t
7. Poe - Hello
8. Radiohead - Bends
9. Rancid - Out Come The Wolves
10. Our Lady Peace - Naveed

Now:
1. Radiohead - The Bends
2. Bjork - Post
3. Elliott Smith - s/t
4. Oasis - What's The Story
5. FNM - KFAD
6. Blur - Great Escape
7. Pulp - Different Class
8. Whiskeytown - Faithless Street
9. 311 - 311
10. Tricky - Maxinquaye

Crap! I forgot Bowie's Outside! Let's call it tied for 10th....

Kid Charlemagne
07-15-2015, 12:28 PM
BTW, @Kid Charlemagne (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=92) , i THOUGHT about putting the Neil Young record and the Sonic Youth record into my top ten, as well as Springsteen's "The Ghost of Tom Joad." ( i really loved that one because i was really getting into steinbeck, and springsteen did The Grapes of Wrath justice by recording some of the tracks solo and acoustic at his house, with lyrics exploring the ruffer things about life at the time.)
They just didn't quite make my top ten.

I know you didn't mention the springsteen record. I was just thinking about the ones i ALMOST included.

I seriously could've done a top 20 and Springsteen should've been on there. That album in my opinion is his last great record and is probably his darkest. I'm going to have to listen to it at work this afternoon because it really is fantastic.

elevenism
07-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Prick - S/T is a FANTASTIC record deserving a spot on a "top 10 for 1995 list" hands down.

Oh, goddamnit.

I want prick in my top 10 too. I loved that record as well.

I fucking give up.

elevenism
07-15-2015, 12:59 PM
And @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) , here are your top 9

2. Drinking Songs for Homosexual Australians-Compilation
3. Def Leppard Greatest Hits
4. R Kelly
5. Hootie and the Blowfish
6. Bryan Adams
7. FireHouse
8. Bon Jovi
9. Mariah Carey

;) :D

GulDukat
07-15-2015, 05:17 PM
And @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) , here are your top 9

2. Drinking Songs for Homosexual Australians-Compilation
3. Def Leppard Greatest Hits
4. R Kelly
5. Hootie and the Blowfish
6. Bryan Adams
7. FireHouse
8. Bon Jovi
9. Mariah Carey

;) :D

I'm no Bon Jovi fan, but I give them credit for being able to weather the grunge era and remain relevant into the mid 90's and beyond. Hootie always sucked, but I guess their singer is a big Country star now.

Kunstmord
07-15-2015, 05:23 PM
In no particular order (bold denotes albums I really love):
1. Faith No More – King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime
2. Swans – The Great Annihilator
3. Morphine – Yes
4. Kyuss – And The Circus Leaves Town (one of the best albums I've heard in my life)
5. King Crimson – Thrak
6. Scott Walker – Tilt (one of the best albums I've heard in my life)
7. Aphex Twin – I Care Because You Do
8. White Zombie – Astro-Creep: 2000
9. Smashing Pumpkins – Mellon Collie
10. PJ Harvey – To Bring You My Love

Albums from 1995 that I've heard and can't stand:
Radiohead – The Bends, Quicksand – Manic Compression

elevenism
07-15-2015, 07:37 PM
RhettButler , we can all laugh at Hootie, but that record went platinum SIXTEEN times.
not bad for a college party act.

But yeah, they did suck.

I like 2 songs by bon jovi: The "Cowboy" one, and the "Livin on a Prayer" one.

GulDukat
07-15-2015, 08:10 PM
@RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) , we can all laugh at Hootie, but that record went platinum SIXTEEN times.
not bad for a college party act.

But yeah, they did suck.

I like 2 songs by bon jovi: The "Cowboy" one, and the "Livin on a Prayer" one.
It's pretty amazing that Hootie sold THAT many albums. Their music is so, so bland, and that baritone voice over it...

I never liked Bon Jovi, I see them as a watered-down Van Springsteen, but their older work was okay, newer material is downright terrible.

seasonsinthesky
07-15-2015, 10:12 PM
No ranking:
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie
Rammstein - Herzeleid
David Bowie - Outside
Deftones - Adrenaline
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
Kyuss - ...And the Circus Leaves Town
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Strapping Young Lad - Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing
The Gathering - Mandylion
Anathema - Pentecost III
The Tea Party - The Edges of Twilight
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

Maybe I went over. Good year. I like The Bends, it's just not a top pick.

GulDukat
07-15-2015, 10:54 PM
Honorable mentions, My Brother the Cow by Mudhoney and Slash's Snakepit.

koz-ivan
07-17-2015, 04:28 AM
Bowie - 1. Outside
KMFDM – Nihl
Moby – everything is wrong
Tricky – Maxinquaye
Project Pitchfork – Alpha Omega
VNV Nation – Advance & Follow
Prick
Nitzer Ebb – Big Hit
Bleak – Vane.
Paradise Lost – Draconian Times

--

1995 seems like a really odd year, there were easily 5+ albums that would have made this list, but upon further review were either 94, or 96 releases. alas.

Twiggy
07-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Alice In Chain's - Self Titled final album is an absolute classic for me.

Twiggy

Substance242
07-18-2015, 02:09 PM
Open Easytag, 3315 files, sort by year, 1995...

Only Braveheart soundtrack (RIP James) and Further Down The Spiral (and some local stuff).

Good albums ended by 1994, and starged again in 1997 for me.

GulDukat
07-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Alice In Chain's - Self Titled final album is an absolute classic for me.

Twiggy

I feel that's a somewhat underrated album. I will never understand the lukewarm reviews Mad Season's Above recieved. Such a good album.

Twiggy
07-20-2015, 10:04 AM
I feel that's a somewhat underrated album. I will never understand the lukewarm reviews Mad Season's Above recieved. Such a good album.

I love the Mad Season album as well ;)

GulDukat
07-20-2015, 06:08 PM
I love the Mad Season album as well ;)
I can't wait for the new live album with Chris Cornell filling in for Layne.

xmd 5a
07-22-2015, 08:10 AM
1. Slowdive - Pygmalion / Half String - Eclipse * Oval * Hue (tie)
2. Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do / Bjork - Post (tie)
3. For Against - Mason's California Lunchroom / Sleater-Kinney - Sleater-Kinney (tie)
4. The Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
5. Unwound - The Future of What
6. Leftfield - Leftism
7. Scott Walker - Tilt
8. Tricky - Maxinquaye
9. Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
10. Spiritualized - Pure Phase

Jinsai
07-27-2015, 02:23 AM
relevant article I just stumbled upon about landmark electronic albums released in 1995 (http://www.mixmag.net/feature/20-years-on-album-piece/31)

Reminded me of a few that I missed.

GulDukat
09-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Kind of super excited about the Jagged Little Pill reissue. There is an entire CD of bonus songs from that era that were not on the proper album.

kel
09-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Kind of super excited about the Jagged Little Pill reissue. There is an entire CD of bonus songs from that era that were not on the proper album.

yes. so many music snobs have discredited that record. it was a headphones experience for me as a teen.

Patrick_Nicholas
09-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Okay. This one is kinda hard for me, as I kinda forgot that most of these were from '95 until after I went into this thread.

No particular order:

Opeth - Orchid
Ulver - Bergtatt
Death - Symbolic
Strapping Young Lad - Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
King Crimson - Thrak
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Morbid Angel - Domination

r_z
09-27-2015, 03:04 PM
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do
David Bowie - Outside
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
Tricky - Maxinquaye
The Amps - Pacer
V.A. - Batman Forever
Cypress Hill - Temples Of Boom
Prick - Prick

botley
09-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Quirky year. A transitional one, for sure, but for me this was about a very particular set of CDs:

1. Prick - Prick (no matter how many times I hear it, I'll never get bored of this absolutely beautiful & essential record)
2. Gary Numan - Dark Light (yeah, it's a live album... fuck you, it's still awesome)
3. Aphex Twin - Ventolin (+Remixes) double EP (I still have the digipak with both editions on one disc and the UK version with two separate CDs, still dig 'em both even more than ...I Care Because You Do)
4. Boards of Canada - Twoism ("Seeya Later", baby! Plus I can look at that cover art for hours)
5. Autechre - Tri Repetae (maybe ranks a little higher, if you include the bonus CD that Nothing Records' re-release had with the two EPs)
6. The Rolling Stones - Stripped (a better "Like a Rolling Stone" than Dylan's, a better "Little Baby" than Howlin' Wolf, better versions of their own old stuff — the Stones KICKED ASS in 1995)
7. King Crimson - THRAK (cannot wait for the box set)
8. Radiohead - High & Dry / Planet Telex EP (http://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-High-Dry-Planet-Telex/release/1616768) (specifically that European CD single, with "Killer Cars" and "Maquiladora" as the B-sides... I like the rest of The Bends, but I've burned out on it a little, and for me those four tracks epitomize that period of Radiohead)
9. 2Pac - Me Against the World (is tha shit)
10. Moloko - Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (<3 u Rτisμn)

Dr Channard
09-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Someone needs to call the awesomest pick of the thread so far. I’m on it. The awesomest pick so far,

V.A. - Batman Forever

Hell yes!

botley
09-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Ba da daaaaa da da daaaaa da, naaaaa naaaaa na nah... BATMAN!

Fun fact I just learned: the lead single "Fun for Me" from my number 10 album later appeared in Schumacher's Batman & Robin. BACK TO BACK MASTERPIECES.

r_z
09-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Are you being ironic? :D

Because that soundtrack got legimate bangerz, yo.

botley
09-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Are you being ironic? :D

Because that soundtrack got legimate bangerz, yo.
What, B&R or BF? I will accede on the latter, not so sure on the former.

Jon
09-29-2015, 11:20 AM

The Smashing Pumpkins - The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning
Underworld - Moaner (full 11 minute version; 4 minutes longer than the album version)

That's enough for me, really.

r_z
09-29-2015, 12:11 PM

BF, of course.

I didn't care too much for B&R, although I got a soft spot for that R. Kelly song, tbh. Let's save that for the inevitable '97 Thread tho.

frankie teardrop
09-30-2015, 01:39 AM
b&r had moloko & those smashing pumpkins songs... bf however had pj harvey, mazzy star, a cracking tune from nick cave & the badseeds, the last truly good U2 song, and more where that came from. that all said, my favorite batman soundtrack song is easily siouxsie & the banshees' 'face to face.'

cicada
11-05-2015, 10:54 PM
FWIW, obviously my list now is different to what it would've been at the end of 1995. Lots of stuff I didn't discover until a few years after. Was a pretty good year though.

Pumpkins – Melloncollie
Fear Factory – Demanufacture
Alanis - Jagged Little Pill
Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime
Cypress Hill - Temples Of Boom
Silverchair- Frogstomp
Gza liquid swords
Radiohead – Bends
2Pac - Me Against the World
Elliott Smith - self titled

seasonsinthesky
11-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Per Metal Detektor:
http://i.imgur.com/2tQ9meC.jpg

Anyone who says 1995 was a shitty year for music is stupid.

Shadaloo
11-06-2015, 03:53 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins - MCIS
David Bowie - 1. Outside
KMFDM - Nihil
Alice In Chains - Self-Titled
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
White Zombie - Astro-Creep 2000
NIN - Further Down The Spiral
Rammstein - Herzeleid
Sister Machine Gun - Burn
The motherfucking Mortal Kombat soundtrack

People have said 1995 was a bad year?

These people?

They are pod people and you should do away with them.

GulDukat
11-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Picked up the Jagged Little Pill boxset and am enjoying that. Great trip down memory lane. Demos and concert are a lot of fun.