PDA

View Full Version : Witcher III

Jinsai
05-21-2015, 11:13 PM
It's basically Red Dead Redemption with swords, set in a sort of Westeros-type environment. I'm liking it a lot so far... great graphics, generally great voice acting, engrossing world...

Some things are bothering me though. The combat is apparently a significant upgrade from the previous games (I can't really speak for it though since I never played them), but this still isn't quite cutting it for me. In general, I've had better success just avoiding the lock-on option because it is really poorly implemented, and toggling between mobs is really a disaster. Maybe I shouldn't be playing it on the highest difficulty, and maybe I need to get better at parrying. I don't know, but my battle strategy is usually consisting of casting shield and then rolling in, slashing, and then rolling out. If I get hit, I cast shield again... and so far, that's worked on everything, including the first boss.

Progression in this game is also incredibly slow. Again, this might be because I'm playing it on the highest difficulty, but I feel like I'm about 15 hours in and my character is still level 4. I've done fourteen side quests, and I've gotten through the first main story segment of the game... still, enemies you kill seem to give you hardly any exp points, and nothing gives you money. Every mission I'm doing is suggesting that I be a much higher level than I am. It's kind of strange.

Also, what the hell is up with the character controls in general? He sort of moves like a tank, and this will get you in a lot of situations where you'll be tapping the controller to try to maneuver your character into place so you can loot a corpse or scavenge for herbs. You can be standing RIGHT ON the thing, and the "loot" prompt will not appear. So then you tap down a bit, and you can see the prompt at the corner of the screen, but you can't activate it until you swing the camera down so you can actually see the word "loot" clearly printed on the screen. Who thought that was a good idea?

I'm liking it, despite the slow pace. The quests are all different enough to avoid feeling overly repetitive. I'm wondering if the game's actual length is pretty short, so they included all this padding to stall progression.

Mantra
05-23-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm off work for two weeks, and I got this for free when I bought a new graphics card, so I've basically been been doing nothing but playing the shit out of this game. I haven't loved a game this much in years (probably not since Skyrim actually, which makes sense I guess). Love the atmosphere, the music, the interesting twists and storylines.

Also, this is literally the greatest weather system in the entire history of video games. It's just incredible how dynamic and life-like it is. I love how you can see the dark clouds on the horizon and know that a big storm is coming, or how you can actually watch shadows moving across the landscape as the clouds pass by overhead. I could do nothing but stand on a hillside and watch the weather change.

Progression in this game is also incredibly slow. Again, this might be because I'm playing it on the highest difficulty, but I feel like I'm about 15 hours in and my character is still level 4. I've done fourteen side quests, and I've gotten through the first main story segment of the game... still, enemies you kill seem to give you hardly any exp points, and nothing gives you money. Every mission I'm doing is suggesting that I be a much higher level than I am. It's kind of strange.

Yeah, same for me. I've been playing almost nonstop for about 3 days and I just barely got to level 5 last night. Everything I hear says that this is a massive game (I think over 250 hours of content, with the main quest being 100 hours, or something like that), so I figure I'm in no rush and that I'll just get there when I get there. But yeah, it's weird when I see some quest with a level 34 suggestion, cause I think "When the fuck is that gonna be, several months from now?" I actually like it though. It never feels like "Come on, hurry and level up so I can get past these boring early quests and get to the good stuff." It would be annoying if you ever felt "stuck" or if the game got repetitive, but I think the slow pace is justified by the fact that every moment of this game feels great.

Space Suicide
05-23-2015, 10:08 PM
I bought the game and have only beaten the Griffin and that one Wraith at the well as far as contracts/monsters go.

I'm in Velen otherwise.

Mantra
05-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Out of curiosity, what's everyone putting their ability points into?

I've been focusing on the magic sign stuff, but I'm barely at level 6 so it still hasn't made too much of a difference in the way I play yet. I put 3 points into the Axii sign so that it would unlock the extra dialogue options, but I've only found one instance of that being used so far (although in all fairness, I'm probably only like 2% of the way through the game).

Wretchedest
05-26-2015, 03:42 AM
I hate the controls, i hate the crafting, system, but i still am enjoying this game. I like the vibe and the stories.

Ended up setting to easy in hopes of bypassing those things.

Mantra
05-26-2015, 10:36 PM
http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/26239284380155330/DC47578EB2F3B032A954813EDA72FC3D42D1B51C/

Jinsai
05-26-2015, 11:33 PM
http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/26239284380155330/DC47578EB2F3B032A954813EDA72FC3D42D1B51C/

Does the tether ball eventually wind up and "score?"

Clownboat
05-30-2015, 10:51 AM
This is probably the best open world game I've played to date. When a game is "open world" it usually means the player gets to romp around in a giant game world at the cost of some depth and focus, but this game gives you a huge world to explore and yet somehow has the quality of any super polished linear game. It's got the world of Red Dead Redemption, the writing of The Last of Us, the themes of Game of Thrones, and it has the attention to detail of all three. It's fucking superb.

Space Suicide
06-01-2015, 04:01 PM
I haven't played too much due to time and the sheer size and length and time involved....however, is it sad I find dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne's combat easier than this game's? I literally die in just about every boss encounter several times. I find the combat clunky as hell, its not very seamless as I had hoped.

Mantra
06-04-2015, 04:12 PM
I haven't played too much due to time and the sheer size and length and time involved....however, is it sad I find dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne's combat easier than this game's? I literally die in just about every boss encounter several times. I find the combat clunky as hell, its not very seamless as I had hoped.

Are you fighting bosses way higher than your level? Because I've tried that and I feel like it's pretty much impossible. I can sometimes pull it off if they're about 4 or 5 levels higher me, but anything beyond that, forget it. It doesn't matter how many oils, potions, bombs, or quen shields I try to prepare. If the boss is like 14 levels higher than me, I'm always gonna get killed with just one hit from them. Even if I try to dodge and roll for the whole fight, one tiny slip up and it's all over. And given that their difficulty level requires me to attack them like 700 times in order to win, there's just no way for me to go that long without getting hit. I think the game is meant to be structured like that, where you're forced to walk away from fights and come come back later when you're stronger.

Space Suicide
06-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Are you fighting bosses way higher than your level? Because I've tried that and I feel like it's pretty much impossible. I can sometimes pull it off if they're about 4 or 5 levels higher me, but anything beyond that, forget it. It doesn't matter how many oils, potions, bombs, or quen shields I try to prepare. If the boss is like 14 levels higher than me, I'm always gonna get killed with just one hit from them. Even if I try to dodge and roll for the whole fight, one tiny slip up and it's all over. And given that their difficulty level requires me to attack them like 700 times in order to win, there's just no way for me to go that long without getting hit. I think the game is meant to be structured like that, where you're forced to walk away from fights and come come back later when you're stronger.

It was the Wandering in the Dark boss in the cave. I was the correct level so yeah, I just sucked it up.

DF118
07-10-2015, 11:51 AM
"Gwent? ANYONE FOR A GAME OF GWENT? GWEEEEEEEENT?"

They run from me in terror in towns for I am a Gwent playing madman.

Space Suicide
08-13-2015, 03:35 PM
After ignoring this game since launch due to Arkham Knight, MKX and other things I have decided to play it full throttle and beat it before Gears of War and MGSV.

I waited too long to play this. That's all I can say.

On a sad note, I did the Ugly Baby Quest and found Jennifer super pissed. I was like why? I looked at the mission that failed due to me not doing it....I watched bad consequences of it after I started it. Needless to say, it was super heart wrenching. I decided to stay and romance Yennefer over Triss. I guess I shouldn't have kissed Triss at the Masquerade haha...

This is awful though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Jp3aNcW3Q

What'd everybody else do?

october_midnight
03-21-2022, 11:50 AM
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1505949557372375050

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-26-2022, 11:59 AM
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1585307793195552768?t=Lors6bnoL0vJIHfgHVhvfw&s=19