PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to break my own music collecting rules.

ZRFTS
05-07-2015, 02:39 AM
All of my music doesn't go past 2009; I changed that so I could listen to Nine Inch Nail's "Hesitation Marks" and give my comparison the fairness it needs. Besides, I heard the unique mellow take (compared to all other NIN albums) will make this an interesting listen.

You guys are music experts, I'm not. (just a guy retelling my dads opinions.) List albums from any musical genre/era here and give a short description on why I should listen to it. (what mood it has, what ethnicity it haves, what makes it good essential music?)

I'm not going to leave any reviews/criticism, I'm just looking to broaden my musical horizons since the way I've been doing things are outdated.

WorzelG
05-07-2015, 05:46 AM
A really good way of doing this would be to look at the A-Z genres thread that is stuck at the top of the forum, it has a list of best of / music recommendations threads listed by year that starts at 2011

I've linked it here http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2579-A-Z-of-Genres-Styles-Catch-Alls-Miscellaneous-etc

ZRFTS
05-07-2015, 07:22 AM
A really good way of doing this would be to look at the A-Z genres thread that is stuck at the top of the forum, it has a list of best of / music recommendations threads listed by year that starts at 2011

I've linked it here http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2579-A-Z-of-Genres-Styles-Catch-Alls-Miscellaneous-etc

Cool. Didn't know that existed; thanks for recommending it to me.

implanted_microchip
05-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Are you asking specifically for post-2009 material to check out?

eversonpoe
05-07-2015, 09:22 AM
All of my music doesn't go past 2009

what made you decide to stop listening to new music 6 years ago?

richardp
05-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Yeah seriously, you haven't listened to anything post 2009? Were you in jail or something? This is super odd to me. I mean, there are hella post 2009 albums to listen to that are worthy, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why you haven't listened to music in 6 years.

blackholesun
05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
The stigma that all music past a certain point of time is not worth listening to is bullshit and needs to end.

WorzelG
05-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Interesting article on the subject.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627853/Most-Americans-stop-listening-to-new-music-by-age-33.html

Jinsai
05-07-2015, 01:53 PM
It just seems like such an arbitrary date to cut off from... I'm just authentically baffled by the rationale here. It's one thing to say "I haven't liked anything I've heard since 2009," it's something else to choose to block out all music made after a certain point. Did you lose a bet or something?

Interesting article on the subject.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627853/Most-Americans-stop-listening-to-new-music-by-age-33.html

ugh... well, I'm glad that isn't true for me, but what a depressing thing to read. It's like reading a study that finds that everyone in your age bracket has basically given up on life and has begun the process of waiting for all this shit to be over.

ZRFTS
05-07-2015, 02:14 PM
what made you decide to stop listening to new music 6 years ago?

Wanted to listen to more old music to gain respect for the music I was listening to now; I guess I got swamped with so many albums that it affected my decision. No offense to the new artists; I just wanted to beef up my music collection. I've got a couple of 2010 releases in there; the rest of the years are coming soon. I guess by focusing too much on the past I got lost in it and forgot the future/present.

frankie teardrop
05-07-2015, 02:27 PM
well, that's a slippery slope. there's been plenty of worthwhile new music out there to enjoy, but i always feel like people don't mine the past enough. for every new band that pitchfork hypes, there are 20 older, more obscure bands that not only did it 20 years ago, but MUCH better.

there are exceptions to this, and i'm certainly not adverse to listening to new music, but there's just as much fault in ignoring the past, IMO.

the way to approach it, is of course, to keep digging and hunting and discovering- both new and old music. if you love something, find out what influenced it. find out what else lives in that world. new & old, no reason to stick with the same collection for years on end.

Jinsai
05-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Wanted to listen to more old music to gain respect for the music I was listening to now; I guess I got swamped with so many albums that it affected my decision. No offense to the new artists; I just wanted to beef up my music collection. I've got a couple of 2010 releases in there; the rest of the years are coming soon. I guess by focusing too much on the past I got lost in it and forgot the future/present.

Why not do both? Listen to classic albums while you try to find new stuff at the same time. It's easy to find classic albums to listen to. People have already done all the heavy lifting for you there.

I hear what Frankie Teardrop is saying, and I'm always going through old overlooked stuff... but I think cutting yourself off from any genre or era of music is a strange thing to do.

frankie teardrop
05-07-2015, 03:13 PM

ps- thanks for the reminder to update this. should be current!

GibbonBlack
05-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Sopor Aeternus - Mitternacht from last year was pretty good. Sad, but good.

WorzelG
05-08-2015, 06:17 AM
I know exactly what you mean, there was a thread somewhere that was 'list the best album from every year since you were born' and it made me think that a lot of years in my life I probably only listened to a few albums so there's no way I could make a sweeping assertion that x was the best album of that year when it was possibly the ONLY album I listened to all the way through. Once I started work in an office it wasn't the done thing to sit there with an iPod / or Sony Walkman and listen to music so there's not much more time in the day. It's easy to keep up if you're a DJ or work in music, but otherwise unless there's a radio in your workplace it's tricky. Even if you go to a pub or club they don't necessarily play NEW music, there's usually some bias