PDA

View Full Version : The Xbox Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Space Suicide
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/xbox/1/0/b/5/xbox360logo1.jpg

Playstation and PSN has one so why not Xbox? I have both systems yet tend to play my 360 more.

Anywho, anyone get the new Dashboard and Update yet?

I have, it's just awful to look at. I can't stand it.

johnbron
12-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Really? I've had it for a while now since I got in on the "Whatever the fuck it was that got me in early" thing. I dig the new look/arrangement of things. The Cloud storage is good stuff too.

Goldfoot
12-07-2011, 02:39 AM
The new layout reminds me of the PS3 in that all the categories are horizontal across the top and you scroll through them. I like how it kicked me out of an online MW3 match to make me update. It's not like I wanted to finish a game I started.

Hula
12-07-2011, 03:29 AM
I've never seen the PS3 dash but this update smacks a little too much of Microsoft's tendency to bundle everything in Windows into categories to make everything 'slicker' only to destroy a huge chunk of usability in the process—I'd rather have a folder full of three dozen icons than one with only eight in it that I have to decipher to figure out how to get to device drivers (control panel, I'm looking at you!). Granted, it'll no doubt be easier to navigate once I've had the chance to play around with it a bit but it doesn't flow quite as intuitively as the last overhaul did. We'll see.

At any rate, I was dorkily excited about Facebook integration when they sent the last email out so I can't really complain, can I?

danebraddy
12-07-2011, 04:01 AM
I've never seen the PS3 dash but this update smacks a little too much of Microsoft's tendency to bundle everything in Windows into categories to make everything 'slicker' only to destroy a huge chunk of usability in the process

That is what they were going for. Windows Phone 7 looks like this and Windows 8 does too, so I guess we have to get used to it.
I have a WP7 device (wanted to see what it was like) you do get used to it - I'm looking forward for the new Xbox Companion app to be available for my phone - it will allow my to control my Xbox with it...apparently.

RE: The Metro interface, I've learned to respect it - it keeps the interface clean - I do wish there was a bit 'more' under the hood - especially in Windows 8 - it feels like a tacky add on...

Goldfoot
12-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I've never seen the PS3 dash but this update smacks a little too much of Microsoft's tendency to bundle everything in Windows into categories to make everything 'slicker' only to destroy a huge chunk of usability in the process—I'd rather have a folder full of three dozen icons than one with only eight in it that I have to decipher to figure out how to get to device drivers (control panel, I'm looking at you!). Granted, it'll no doubt be easier to navigate once I've had the chance to play around with it a bit but it doesn't flow quite as intuitively as the last overhaul did. We'll see.

At least they now made the game the default option when the machine starts up. Before they had that fucking Spotlight thing and you were forced to scroll up just to play the game in your system. I know it wasn't a huge problem, but the Xbox is a gaming system first, and a multimedia system second. The main focus should be on playing a game. Saving your game to the cloud should prove to be nice, though.

At any rate, I was dorkily excited about Facebook integration when they sent the last email out so I can't really complain, can I?

There was actually Facebook on there before, though I'm sure it has been redesigned in a big way. When I saw it before, which was right after it launched, it was very limited. I believe the interface was dodgy as well. I never used it, but my friend did briefly. Twitter had an app too, but I never used that either. There is really no need for me to do either of those on my Xbox when I have a computer and Android, plus I don't have a chat pad. If you could take screen shots and post them to Facebook or Twitter, then I might use it. The only games I've played that allowed screenshots to be taken in game are Black Ops and MW3. I'm not even sure if you can share them through social media, though. I only remember seeing the option to share with others who have the game.

The Reason Being
12-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I've only had a 360 for about 6 months, and yesterday my little brother decides to pick it up and drop it. Now the disc drive is sort of stuck somewhere between open and closed, damn thing won't budge! I was totally up for Rayman Origins aswell, that game looks amazing on a good HD tv. Well, it was nice knowing you Xbox.

darktemplar007
12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I hated the old dashboard, and am very happy to have something new.

sentient02970
12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
My disc tray has resisted opening for the past month. All of the "fixes" seem ridiculous (use a paper clip to force it open, break apart the drive and create an insulated washer-device..etc). It'll open but I need to continually spam the open button until it does so. I'm just whining...thanks for listening.

Hula
12-07-2011, 12:18 PM
At least they now made the game the default option when the machine starts up. Before they had that fucking Spotlight thing and you were forced to scroll up just to play the game in your system. I know it wasn't a huge problem, but the Xbox is a gaming system first, and a multimedia system second. The main focus should be on playing a game.

Actually, this is a good point. Today, I keep noticing that I try to scroll to get to the game out of habit when the system boots up only to realise it's already highlighted—it makes a lot more sense this way.

There was actually Facebook on there before

I knew that much but I was under the impression that the new layer of integration would function the way that defunct Xbox Gamercard app on Facebook did—posting your achievements to your wall as you unlock them, posting which games you're playing, etc. I haven't been able to get it to do this so far and while it's not a big deal if I can't (it's about as useful a function as the music tracker on Pidgin, which was also a pain in the butt to configure), if it turns out that this is a gold-only feature (on top of the Facebook app on your Xbox and the Cloud function), I'll not be best pleased. At the moment it doesn't make much sense to go gold if you're not a multiplayer gamer and while the Cloud storage might be enough to eventually convince me to pay for membership, the ability to posts achievements to Facebook isn't really something that I'd dream of paying for.

/mini-rant

Anyway, I'm used to the interface to a certain extent now and I don't hate it. It's still taking me a while to figure out where to go for certain features but the categories are, for the most part, logical.

Goldfoot
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I knew that much but I was under the impression that the new layer of integration would function the way that defunct Xbox Gamercard app on Facebook did—posting your achievements to your wall as you unlock them, posting which games you're playing, etc. I haven't been able to get it to do this so far and while it's not a big deal if I can't (it's about as useful a function as the music tracker on Pidgin, which was also a pain in the butt to configure)

I don't care about posting my achievements to Facebook. It's already bad enough that the achievement system has altered the way I play games. I completely know what you mean about Pidgin, as I have gone through that same thing more than once.

if it turns out that this is a gold-only feature (on top of the Facebook app on your Xbox and the Cloud function), I'll not be best pleased. At the moment it doesn't make much sense to go gold if you're not a multiplayer gamer and while the Cloud storage might be enough to eventually convince me to pay for membership, the ability to posts achievements to Facebook isn't really something that I'd dream of paying for.

I didn't look into that because I'm not sure I'm going to use the feature. If I plan on recovering my gamertag at someone's place I may do that. Hell, I may end up doing it anyway just to take advantage of the feature. It depends on if it also saves locally. I don't want trust Microsoft's servers enough to have that be my only save. It would be a nice backup, or a way to transfer to another system, but not something I would use exclusively. As for paying for Gold, it's a no-brainer for me since I really enjoy playing multiplayer games, but it also has the added benefit of Netflix. I don't think that is available to Silver members. Also, even though I rarely use it, the Last.fm application is nice to have.

Anyway, I'm used to the interface to a certain extent now and I don't hate it. It's still taking me a while to figure out where to go for certain features but the categories are, for the most part, logical.

I only used it a little bit and my first impression isn't a very good one. I'm not one to get mad at things I can't control, like this, so I'll be fine with it but I have at least one issue so far. Before you scrolled up and down to go between categories and then horizontal to choose in those categories. This is essentially the same idea as the PS3, just rotated, and it worked pretty well. My only issue was defaulting to the fucking Spotlight instead of My Xbox. Now, however, they've rotated it so the category is chosen at the top, but rather then scroll up and down like on the PS3, you just get a few things to choose from. If you scroll to the right when you are on the last thing in the category, it takes you to the next category, rather than taking you to another page of icons in the current category. There might be some logic behind this, but I don't like it.

Hula
12-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Anybody else get that email from Micro$oft about the free Gold trial this weekend? lololol

Kamelion
12-16-2011, 10:50 AM
100% xboxer here. Only got around to looking at the new dashboard today (while watching AVOTT, heh). They have changed it. We fear change. Oh well.

Hula
12-24-2011, 03:25 PM
I just now noticed that they changed the 'game details' button on the Xbox dash to X instead of Y; Y is now 'eject'. How does it make sense to change the button that people have learnt to use to install games to eject them instead? Gah. I hate it when services change tiny details for absolutely no reason. It's going to make about 0.0001% difference in my Xbox experience in the long run, but it's annoying nonetheless.

ANYWAY. Bought Brink for 3 quid at the Game sale yesterday as I've heard it's worth about that much, but I still wanted to give it a shot. From what I can tell thus far, it's basically Team Fortress 2 only with better graphics and a ~serious plot~. Like, there's even a red and a blue team. And you have to defend control points. Eh.

Space Suicide
12-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I just now noticed that they changed the 'game details' button on the Xbox dash to X instead of Y; Y is now 'eject'. How does it make sense to change the button that people have learnt to use to install games to eject them instead? Gah. I hate it when services change tiny details for absolutely no reason. It's going to make about 0.0001% difference in my Xbox experience in the long run, but it's annoying nonetheless.

ANYWAY. Bought Brink for 3 quid at the Game sale yesterday as I've heard it's worth about that much, but I still wanted to give it a shot. From what I can tell thus far, it's basically Team Fortress 2 only with better graphics and a ~serious plot~. Like, there's even a red and a blue team. And you have to defend control points. Eh.

That confused and made me a slight irritated as well. I have only really had my Xbox a year and I knew the button setups like the back of my hand. That was a bone thrown in the gear. Also, I hate that when you click the guide button on the controller and wanna turn the game off it's called Xbox Home no longer Dashboard. WTF?

Brink is ok, I borrowed it from a friend in June, gave it back to him and now I have it again since he had no room for it after he moved. I lack motivation to play.

Space Suicide
03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
If true, this is absolute bullshit. Hard to believe and I don't but always the possibility...

http://www.gamesta.com/rumor-xbox-720-wont-have-disc-drive/

Hula
03-09-2012, 03:43 PM
If true, this is absolute bullshit. Hard to believe and I don't but always the possibility...

http://www.gamesta.com/rumor-xbox-720-wont-have-disc-drive/

I think what developers are failing to factor into things with their newfound digital obsession is the fact that a lot of people don't have superfast broadband and are still to this day having their download limits capped. I know I'd probably buy a quarter of the games I do now if I had to download them all; waiting three hours on a shitty connection for a download is a little more hassle than going to the store and buying a copy which is physically yours.

sentient02970
03-09-2012, 03:52 PM
I have to agree that not having the disc is going to suck. But I really have to say that places like Gamestop which seem to whore out resales like crazy is what helped push this.

frankie teardrop
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
yeah, this would be a disaster.

edit: i'm all for the resale market. if they kill the resale market, it would be wise to lower the price of games to compensate, as i'm sure games people are uncertain about/aren't so great will fail completely.

PooPooMeowChow
03-17-2012, 04:21 PM
I got a new slim for xmas and it has already froze more times than my two previous xbox's. Whether it's over heating or just cant handle the game. If I had know Slim meant sacrificing functionality I would have invested in real Xbox.

Also kinda annoyed I've 1000/1000 a few games but they don't show up in that list because they include DLC achievs too. greasy

Space Suicide
03-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I got a new slim for xmas and it has already froze more times than my two previous xbox's. Whether it's over heating or just cant handle the game. If I had know Slim meant sacrificing functionality I would have invested in real Xbox.

Also kinda annoyed I've 1000/1000 a few games but they don't show up in that list because they include DLC achievs too. greasy

I own one of the first line slim consoles. Only game that freezes on mine occasionally is Gears of War 3 and that's because the game does it, not the console. I've had no game freezes whatsoever aside from Gears 3 and both Fallout games (also the games themselves).

PooPooMeowChow
03-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Mine has frozen many times playing Battlefield 3 and Dead Island. Both are installed on my HD. I can totally understand it being the games but I can't help but feel like the Slim is some how to blame. oh well

Conan The Barbarian
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Your gamerscore along with many others glitched. They put a fix out already.

PooPooMeowChow
03-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I meant if you go to your achievements on the dashboard(or what ever it's called now), there's a panel for games you have 100% achievements. In order to get 100% achievements you have to buy which ever DLC has achievements. I think you should get 100% for getting all base game achievements.

Space Suicide
03-17-2012, 08:20 PM
I meant if you go to your achievements on the dashboard(or what ever it's called now), there's a panel for games you have 100% achievements. In order to get 100% achievements you have to buy which ever DLC has achievements. I think you should get 100% for getting all base game achievements.

It's always been like that. The add-on DLC achievements raises the completion percentage. Always has, always will.

sentient02970
04-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Next Xbox will have a 16 core cpu. (http://www.oxmonline.com/rumor-next-xbox-will-have-16-core-cpu)

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Does anyone else think this is a terrible idea?

Microsoft announces $99 360/Kinect bundle, but requires a 2-year Xbox Live Gold contract for $15 a month. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/07/microsoft-announces-99-xbox-360-with-subscription?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social[/URL)

$15 a month for 2 years is $360 (lololo), meaning in total, you're paying a little over $460 bucks for this bundle

Regular Xbox 360/Kinect bundle on Amazon.com = $280
Two years of Xbox Live Gold = $5 a month, or $120
Total = $400

You're still getting screwed out of $60 with this bundle!

Conan The Barbarian
05-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Yea, I dont understan who would be dumb enough to pull that off. I mean even the less fortunate kids are able to get gaming systems. I dont even know what the hell is the point to this.

october_midnight
05-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah man....first time I saw it on Twitter I thought 'there has to be some insane catch'. Pretty damn bunk...

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Exactly. And I can see the whole "paying less now and making payments over time" thing, because that's basically what drives a good portion of our economy - but this is a game console, not a car. I would think it'd be better to just buy everything at regular cost, then buy a couple games with the extra $60, which you'll inevitably have to spend on games anyway.

(For the record, I don't have a 360, but I was waiting to see what this bundle was all about. Now I'm definitely not going to bother with it. Black Friday, it is!)

Space Suicide
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
My Xbox 360 was $299.99 and it has 250 GB. I have gotten two 1 Year Gold Subscriptions since owning it.

300 + 60 + 50 (got it on sale) = $410.00

So yeah, it's a scam haha.

Space Suicide
11-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Evidently I've been an Xbox LIVE Ambassador since July ad didn't even know it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdni0qXeOW1qb1rzvo1_1280.png

ManBurning
12-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Woo-hoo, Retro City Rampage FINALLY Hits XBLA marketplace on Jan 2nd! Great way to kick off 2013! Been dying to play this game for a very, very long time!
Followed the development of the game for nearly a year and was jealous when PS3 owners got a taste of it's awesomeness this past fall. But it's gonna be awesometacular next wednesday stealing turtle vans and playing "Virtural 3D Meat boy" lol.

kdrcraig
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Quick question, I think I know the answer but I'm still getting used to using all the Xbox features. I bought a 32GB flash drive because I'm running out of space, mainly because of Borderlands 2 and all the add-ons. I can just plug in the drive, it will format, then I can copy all my BL2 files over to it (DLCs, installed game, saves, etc.) and delete them off of my HDD and then just select the flash drive when the game starts up and it will be good to go right? Just want to make sure I'm doing it right before I go deleting crap.

october_midnight
02-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Xbox Event .com regiestered. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-event-website-spotted-6404366)

April's the word...

Space Suicide
02-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Xbox Event .com regiestered. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-event-website-spotted-6404366)

April's the word...

But of course. Time to really become outdated now with this obvious new console announcement too.

Jinsai
02-23-2013, 01:27 AM
and of course they're going to announce... right before E3? Why?

PooPooMeowChow
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
I hope MS plan to explain the basic properties of the new Xbox at some kind of event, then you don't have to do over it all at E3 and can spend more time on games and features than a reveal. I Hope

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-23-2013, 01:08 PM
and of course they're going to announce... right before E3? Why?

I'm guessing from what it says in this article and many others that Sony kind of rustled Microsoft's feathers a little bit.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/microsoft-may-launch-xbox-720-in-april-report-says-50010502/

liquidcalm
02-23-2013, 01:41 PM
sounds more like they are going to at least announce it.. the article says it may actually release.. but then the last console that did that was the Saturn and that didn't go down too well...

Wretchedest
02-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Hm... this should be really interesting. Im already sold on the PS4 as my next gen option, especially if this xbox has the rumored always on issue.

Kf thoserumors are true than the xbox is out of the question for me, but if they arent, and microsoft cam show off some nice exclusives, like Halo 5 or Crackdown 3.... i might consider it down the line.

ibanez33
02-24-2013, 03:56 AM
I don't really have high hopes for the next Xbox console. If it really blows me away, I'll go for it, but for the time being I'm pretty much set on getting a PC for my next gaming system.

ibanez33
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Skyrim is actually one of the main reasons I've been looking into a PC instead of a console, actually. It's great on Xbox but the PC mods (especially the graphics) are fucking unreal: http://imgur.com/a/rLT2G#0 (last image is NSFW)

Hula
02-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Since becoming a PS3 owner this Christmas I'm kind of surprised I haven't become a Sony fanboy again. I was all over it when I played Heavy Rain (and the psone and PS2 were my main consoles growing up), and there are certain aspects I really like about it, but the trophy system is laughable (if only because it takes about a minute to sync if you want to read about the ones you've unlocked) and the main menu interface is far from user-friendly. I don't know if I've been on the Xbox so long that there's no going back to Sony, but eh. I guess I find it hard to see why anybody would pick the PlayStation over the Xbox. On paper, sure; the system sounds better and it does work out way fricking cheaper in the long run. It's just when it boils down to exclusives, community, interface... I feel like the 360 is the better system.

Of course, it doesn't really help Sony's case that they announced the PS4 scarcely months after I finally got my hands on a PS3. The irony of it is that I got the 12GB console under the impression there weren't that many Sony-exclusive games I wanted to buy and...well, as it turns out there probably won't be very many games released before the launch of the PS4 that are Sony-exclusive anyway.

Space Suicide
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Since becoming a PS3 owner this Christmas I'm kind of surprised I haven't become a Sony fanboy again. I was all over it when I played Heavy Rain (and the psone and PS2 were my main consoles growing up), and there are certain aspects I really like about it, but the trophy system is laughable (if only because it takes about a minute to sync if you want to read about the ones you've unlocked) and the main menu interface is far from user-friendly. I don't know if I've been on the Xbox so long that there's no going back to Sony, but eh. I guess I find it hard to see why anybody would pick the PlayStation over the Xbox. On paper, sure; the system sounds better and it does work out way fricking cheaper in the long run. It's just when it boils down to exclusives, community, interface... I feel like the 360 is the better system.

Of course, it doesn't really help Sony's case that they announced the PS4 scarcely months after I finally got my hands on a PS3. The irony of it is that I got the 12GB console under the impression there weren't that many Sony-exclusive games I wanted to buy and...well, as it turns out there probably won't be very many games released before the launch of the PS4 that are Sony-exclusive anyway.

Both PS3 and Xbox 360 have their flaws and wins but PS3's messaging, parties, friend system and trophies are a joke compared the Xbox 360's take on them. No contest.

october_midnight
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Not really news per se, but I'm talking with my friend at EA here in Burnaby that does voice work on FB chat as I type this and he's saying that the new Xbox is "99% confirmed" to release in 2013. I know it's not really a shocker, but he'd know. Also he's already working with builds of the new consoles (remember he's not biased, he works for a developer, not SONY or Microsoft) and he says that it's pretty much gonna put the PS4 to straight shame in terms of graphics, social aspects, etc. etc.

Copy/paste:
I know it's vague, but if you could say the new graphics, etc. are 5x better than the 360, or 3x, etc. what number would you use?

hard to say, it's early. obv nobody has been able to fully utilize the console since it's so new, it'll only get better with time, new engines, yada yada

Just pick a number lol

now? 3x at least. more than just graphics though...the stuff they have planned for us (EA) anyways is pretty crazy in terms of the built-in kinect yada yada i'm more excited for other stuff than just the graphic jump.

Yeah for sure. We should discuss it more tomorrow night at dinner at EXP lol.

for sure

october_midnight
04-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Microsoft is announcing the new Xbox on May 21st at 10am PT. Then 19 days later at E3 their full launch lineup.

Kodiak33
04-25-2013, 11:43 AM
There's a good thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547072

Looks like November 2013 release.

Piko
04-25-2013, 10:03 PM
I just want a price... More than likely will be cheaper (hopefully) than PS4. That's going to be the dealbreaker most likely.

october_midnight
05-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Apparently confirmed that Xbox Infinity will indeed be the new console's official title. Could be a bogus rumor though.

Looks like the fall's gonna consist of buying a few new games, then the new console, then the next-gen versions of said games.

Tums206_BFY
05-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Well the Xbox announcement is abouts to begin shortly....I feel like I know already most of what they will announce but its cool that the time has finally come. Even though I thought the PS3 as a system was overall a lot better than Xbox360....Im excited for both.

Space Suicide
05-21-2013, 12:04 PM
I already know the new Xbox is going to focus more on smart TV interaction and entertainment aspects rather than games. Meh. Regardless, I am watching it live on Spike TV.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Xbox One huh? Kinda cool...

Space Suicide
05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Xbox One is going to have to have more than fancy gadgetry, show highly glorified laziness (yes, laziness) and multitasking apps (I never use) to tempt me to want to get it for anything other than games I’d want that are Xbox franchises.

This new console is centered on nothing but innovation for Kinect junk and watching TV. Yawn.

Controller looks awesome.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 12:27 PM
this is a disaster so far. Sony made their reveal almost entirely about games. this conference is entirely about features I don't care about or want.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Whereas both companies are focusing on what seems like non-existent problems (i.e. 'now you can check your NBA fantasy standings while watching live tv!')...it is important to remember that this isn't just a game console war, SONY and Microsoft are trying to bring the war to entertainment.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 12:34 PM
I feel like Sony had the good sense to relegate that shit to the side though. I do not give a fuck about live television this is 2013. I have no intention of getting cable.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
True, and you won't have to. I always just feel that shit like this is a bonus for me personally. I'll still but it at launch because I know the games themselves will be worth it. That I can slowly start to use even some of this shit is gravy lol.

Space Suicide
05-21-2013, 12:42 PM
I'll buy this console eventually, doubt I'll even have a snowball's chance at launch to get it. I'm sure it'll have a super inflated price.

Essentially this is just a graphics upgrade for me. Developers will make new games to use new outlets aka this next generation. Nothing more. If PS4 and Xbox One didn't exist, I'd be happy with just keeping my 360 and PS3 to play and buy new games on. I enjoy graphics and gameplay on them to the fullest now.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
If the games are good, and it's not online only, i'l probably get it. But PS4 is an obvious choice When I look at things. Halo 5 would have to be pretty stellar to sway me.

This conference is just wierd. They're busting out all the jocks, sports games, and TV people and gaming s REALLY taking a back seat. I'm not sure this will be well received.

Space Suicide
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
If the games are good, and it's not online only, i'l probably get it. But PS4 is an obvious choice When I look at things. Halo 5 would have to be pretty stellar to sway me.

This conference is just wierd. They're busting out all the jocks, sports games, and TV people and gaming s REALLY taking a back seat. I'm not sure this will be well received.

Pretty much. Only thing that really interested me as a fan was Forza 5. Quantum Break did nothing for me and EA Sports game don't interest me. I don't touch any apps regularly on my Xbox besides Netflix and Vudu.

Of course they show Call of Duty rubbish since it's a major selling point. Meh.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm more excited to see what they're going to show at E3.

Conan The Barbarian
05-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Ain't gonna lie, cod looks pretty. But bf4 Wil be out for the one.

I'm excited.

liquidcalm
05-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Well that whole thing obviously wasn't aimed at me.

Piko
05-21-2013, 01:27 PM
It's looking like I'm getting a PS4 first. What it really comes down to are the launch titles and price. So far ps4 has them on launch titles.

What I really want is Alan Wake 2. Doubtful, but that would be the dealbreaker.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 01:29 PM
I also think it's cute that both SONY and Microsoft think a ton of people still watch scheduled TV. I couldn't even tell you the last time my wife and I sat down, at 9pm, for _______. Weird how they're trying to still kinda utilize that, I will freely admit.

Tums206_BFY
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Well not surprised they went with the whole entertainment thingy, it has been know for a while that it was their main selling point along with the whole Kinect 2.0. I wish they would have shown a few more games or talked more about the gaming aspect but that is what E3 is for.

Despite both conferences having a different selling point (Sony- The Gamer, Xbox- Entertainment as a whole) it is no doubt expected for both to focus on both aspects it's just they went about it different. E3 should be good.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 02:05 PM
I also think it's cute that both SONY and Microsoft think a ton of people still watch scheduled TV. I couldn't even tell you the last time my wife and I sat down, at 9pm, for _______. Weird how they're trying to still kinda utilize that, I will freely admit.

The real irony is that THEY killed it. And now parading around its jizzim ridden corpse offering up sloppy seconds.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 02:11 PM
LOL truedat. Also, Microsoft: 'We probably didn't show as many games as we should have, but will at E3." (http://www.oxm.co.uk/54419/microsoft-xbox-one-reveal-probably-didnt-show-as-many-games-as-we-should-have/)

nemesiswontdie
05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
D-D-D-D-D-DEAL BREAKER!
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 02:22 PM
It's actually not for me since I buy almost all my games new and rarely trade games away, but of course......what the fuck, Microsoft.

staleincense
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
OK, so are there any actual reasons to buy it at this point in time or...? Because I can think of a ton of reasons NOT to buy it.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Destiny, Watch_Dogs, other amazing games....plus it'll be awesome.

Also, clarification on the pre-owned thing. Article. (http://www.oxm.co.uk/54430/xbox-one-games-are-locked-to-xbox-live-accounts-but-theres-no-pre-owned-block/)

Once you sell the game on, you can deactivate the install on your own HDD and thus wipe it clean so to speak, so when you sell the disc to a friend or on Craigslist, they can go ahead and proceed as if they bought it. If I'm understanding that correctly, there's still a glaring issue.

1. I sell you a game on Craigslist.
2. 'Oh yeah don't worry, I deactivated the install, you're free to go and download it on your own account.'
3. Never see me again...and I lied.

update: Microsoft has officially told Wired magazine 'We have a plan for used games...stay tuned.'

Piko
05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I wonder if you can delete the installs later and not have to worry about anything. I'd imagjne they take up a lot of space.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
LOL truedat. Also, Microsoft: 'We probably didn't show as many games as we should have, but will at E3." (http://www.oxm.co.uk/54419/microsoft-xbox-one-reveal-probably-didnt-show-as-many-games-as-we-should-have/)

Wow, its a bad sign when theyre forced to admit that....

thelastdisciple
05-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Hmm i dunno about this new Xbox... can't say I'm too impressed yet.

I'm probably in the minority then but i still watch a handful of shows at their scheduled times, there's just a certain authenticity or something and a rush of adrenaline/excitement to watching it live and since i have time zone channels knowing that i get to catch some of the first airings is cool.... i mean yeah you can't zip through the commercials and all that but during those i always find it fun to converse about shows and things that happened with other folks on the net and in different communities and before i know it the show is back on, it just makes it more of an event. You'd be surprised how many other folks i know that still do similar things.

Space Suicide
05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
I try to, usually do and love buying games new but sometime I buy used when I am short on cash or not totally into the title like others. I do find the used game combating is escalating to new highs and lows. Just one more way for publishers to cash in on it more and more and more.

EA did away with the online pass last week. Now I see why they did, they're not stupid. They did away with it to gain good guy points but now due to a new system they're not losing anyways. They'll still be getting a second revenue cut.

I am on the fence with this new Xbox and this entire upcoming generation as well. As long as my friends stay on 360 and games are still being made for it regularly for another year or two (they can't honestly think everyone is going to transition in a finger snap's time) I'll stay with the current generation. I won't be heartbroken.

staleincense
05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Destiny, Watch_Dogs, other amazing games....plus it'll be awesome.

Also, clarification on the pre-owned thing. Article. (http://www.oxm.co.uk/54430/xbox-one-games-are-locked-to-xbox-live-accounts-but-theres-no-pre-owned-block/)

Once you sell the game on, you can deactivate the install on your own HDD and thus wipe it clean so to speak, so when you sell the disc to a friend or on Craigslist, they can go ahead and proceed as if they bought it. If I'm understanding that correctly, there's still a glaring issue.

1. I sell you a game on Craigslist.
2. 'Oh yeah don't worry, I deactivated the install, you're free to go and download it on your own account.'
3. Never see me again...and I lied.

update: Microsoft has officially told Wired magazine 'We have a plan for used games...stay tuned.'
Destiny and Watch Dogs aren't even exclusives, so they don't really sway me at all. Either way, I have lost a lot of intrest in gaming as of late, so I doubt I'll be getting any next-gen consoles. I was going to buy a gamingPC, but I'd likely just buy a bunch of games and barely even play them, so yeah.

october_midnight
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I hear ya, I still love gaming like a motherfucker but have like half the time for it I used to...I'm more curious to see how Canadian providers will sync up with it as opposed to American ones.

Conan The Barbarian
05-21-2013, 04:28 PM
D-D-D-D-D-DEAL BREAKER!
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

I don't have a problem with that as long as the developers get a cut if not all of the fees proceeds.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Its fascinating that all 3 gaming companies are missing the real conversation that needs to be had with their demographic. Each has there own strategy: engage gamers, engage families, or dominate the living room. But im hearing the same thing from everybody: "Im not sure i would upgrade even if i could, why do i need new hardware at all?"

for me the answer is easy: i just do. But the bulk of gamers actually seem totally unconvinced. Definitely in part because current games already look nice amd current consoles already provides these social services being waved around. My two year old TV has many of the features of XBox One..

But some of this, ironically, is because console makers spent a lot of time convincing us that the current hardware is good enough. The majority of desirable games that we can currently see on the next Gen, are available on current gen systems. We cant even tell the difference just yet. I cant believe im saying this, but Nintendo might just have an edge next week when they reveal SSB4 and other new stuff. Once they start having something you cant gwt else where a $250 nintendo might seem enticing...

sentient02970
05-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Exactly. The problem they are having is none of them are really NEXT gen as best I can see. They are more like Current Gen revision 2.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Although keep in mind that games on THIS generation didnt start seeming like an improvement until a year or two in. The blurry space in between is a natural part of the cycle. Even games from three years ago are blown away by tomb raider and dead space 3.

Jinsai
05-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Aaaaand it turns out that the Xbox One does in fact require an internet connection (http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109)

It's not "always on," but must be connected to the net at least once a day. While this isn't going to really screw with most people in any real way, it still is annoying.

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
it's the used game thing that hurts.

Games are always installed to the system. and for one to be used on another account a "fee must be payed"

The fee? MSRP

to me, the thing is DoA

xmd 5a
05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
My main issue with it is that there is no guarantee that all the TV/movie content will be available here in Australia. We tend to get royally screwed over when it comes to that kind of thing. So I'll be left with an expensive box that does not much. :/

Reckon I'll just get a decent computer and use Steam for the coming generation. May pick up a WiiU for my daughter when she becomes old enough to play games.

slave2thewage
05-21-2013, 08:09 PM
I think I'm gonna hang back for a year or two and then decide.

Piko
05-21-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm not that impressed... I'm sure it'll have games, eventually. PS4 seems like the best bet this gen. Microsoft just alienated not only their consumers but their middlemen. It's obvious they want to go digital, but had to have that disc drive to please the investors. Personally, the used games part really sucks, but it doesn't affect me much. I don't really buy used games. I either buy them on launch, or I buy it for cheap off amazon a few months later when the price drops. It really sucks for those who let friends borrow games. They pretty much shit all over that.

And it needs an internet connection about as much as current gen consoles do. You buy a game with an online pass, you need to be online for that. In this case, all of the games on the console have codes... Other than validating, you don't really need to be online. But, most people are going to be anyway.

bgalbraith
05-21-2013, 09:49 PM
XBOX One reveal show edited down into 1.5 minutes: http://kotaku.com/the-entire-xbox-one-reveal-summed-up-in-1-5-hilarious-509197649

Piko
05-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Angry review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0&feature=share&list=FL4Ztwuv7-wpmAXtVvz3up1w

Wretchedest
05-21-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm not that impressed... I'm sure it'll have games, eventually. PS4 seems like the best bet this gen. Microsoft just alienated not only their consumers but their middlemen. It's obvious they want to go digital, but had to have that disc drive to please the investors. Personally, the used games part really sucks, but it doesn't affect me much. I don't really buy used games. I either buy them on launch, or I buy it for cheap off amazon a few months later when the price drops. It really sucks for those who let friends borrow games. They pretty much shit all over that.

And it needs an internet connection about as much as current gen consoles do. You buy a game with an online pass, you need to be online for that. In this case, all of the games on the console have codes... Other than validating, you don't really need to be online. But, most people are going to be anyway.

It said it needs to connect every 24 hours. Like if you haven't used it in two days and turn it back on and for soem reason don't have a connection, no game for you. That's more than current gen consoles.

and I realize that much of the games between both consoles will be the same, but Microsofts presentation shows that it undervalues the medium of gaming. Whenever game companies come around with celebrities and film directors and stuff I've always seen it as trying to use the popularity of film or music to validate their game. When they bust out Steven Spielberg or the guy who wrote Traffic and say "Look, movie people" it says "Games are lower than movies, so we brought in some movie people to help with that."

Fwiw I think spielberg sucks at both.

Sony in the mean time brought in some game artists. People who are famous because of the games they made, people who have ideas about games and move them forward. Nobody was complaining after that one. There were some lukewarm responses, but I felt like it was a positive response overall. They understood who buys games and who takes the time out of there day to watch a two hour press conference. Microsoft simply did not.

Piko
05-21-2013, 10:38 PM
I think the main issue with the console is the fact that they've taken freedom and choices away from the user. Buy our console, and our games, but you can't let anyone else use it. You don't always have to be online, but you do (how they worded it). What's next? The kinect will follow your movements and start making suggestions? A tv actually does that. How about instead of Xbox One, we call it Xbox 1984.

ManBurning
05-21-2013, 11:36 PM
I will definatly be passing on this console, I have no reason to get it. The amount of retail games I actually buy a year is like 1, I think I have a grand total of 5 360 "retail" games, i'm more of an XBLA (Live Arcade) guy. I love Indie developers developing games like Super Meat Boy, Retro City Rampage, Castle Crashers, Battleblock theare, Scott Pilgrim VS the world etc. My XBLA collection consists of close to 40 titles. Coincidently, I bought my 360 for a XBLA game, lol.

So, as long as they don't disable the XBLA functionality on the 360, I see no reason to upgrade to an expensive, motion controlled, modern piece of equipment to play 8 and 16 bit games, haha.

I have no interest in motion controls, Kinect, watching TV or checking sports highlights while watching a movie. I tuned into the reveal and turned it off after 15 minutes. I wasn't the target audience for the reveal.

So, i'll see how things pan out between this and the PS4. I completley skipped over the PS3's lfiespan as the games never interested me, this might actually make me jump back to PS4 in the event that I *NEED* to upgrade to a new console to continue to play indie and arcade games.

liquidcalm
05-22-2013, 02:07 AM
While I'm pretty much gonna get a PS4, and wait n see with the xbox, the amount of things Sony hasn't yet said (how the ps4 deals with used games, cost, content validation online) is still a bit un-nerving. What I think will happen is that they will leave all those things up to the developer/publisher. In fact I probably read that somewhere... but no matter what, if the Xbox is making people pay a fee to play a used game (fuck you game rental services!) to keep publishers onboard with the PS4, they pretty much have to offer that as a solution too.

dogsipod
05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
looking at the most of the specs the cost of the units should be fairly similar. i think sony will want to avoid the large price gap they had last time. the thing that worried me the most was the implied requirement of the kinect unit. what happens if i unplug it? what if it is broken? read an article where a dude was asking these questions and the PR guy straight up said we aren't talking about that at this time. if nothing happens i don't see what MS gains by hiding it.

Clownboat
05-22-2013, 03:50 PM
The Xbox One announcement was a lot like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlulSyBI2aY

thelastdisciple
05-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Here comes Alpha Omega Sin to save the day in saying just about everything else i have to say on the matter of the new Xbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKm94T0jfzQ

Iran_Ed
05-22-2013, 06:39 PM
After the PS4 announcement I said it felt like I'd gotten too old for games.
After this one I realize it's not me.
The gaming landscape has changed, and it seems those of us who only play games on our systems are being left behind. The actual gamers.
It's a no to this, fleeting interest in a PS4, and a maybe to Nintendo.

Space Suicide
05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
I still think Angry Joe said it best in his. I love his reviews.

Piko
05-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Friend of mine is trying to convince me to build a pc. Seriously starting to consider it. Might be cheaper, or about the same price.

screwdriver
05-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Here comes Alpha Omega Sin to save the day in saying just about everything else i have to say on the matter of the new Xbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKm94T0jfzQ

I like that his definition of a "stock plummet" is a .23% drop (as reflected in his screen shot).

Piko
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
To be fair, though. A loss is a loss. Far from plummeting though. Same goes for Gamestop as well.

screwdriver
05-22-2013, 09:24 PM
To be fair, though. A loss is a loss. Far from plummeting though. Same goes for Gamestop as well.

a .23% loss is, to be honest, a rounding error

I think people (not you, but definitely the guy in the video) don't really understand what the stock price has to do with anything, or what anything has to do with the stock price

sentient02970
05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
From what I'm seeing I'm feeling a bit relieved that I'm not foaming at the mouth to jump in and buy one at release. I'd be better off saving my $$. My 360 was given to me by Microsoft for working on its processor. That's what got me into console gaming and kind of kept me there. But this doesn't seem like enough of a real upgrade to feel like I need it right away.

Piko
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I'll probably end up buying one, eventually. I'm in no rush though. Probably gonna wait for a price drop or two before I even really consider it. Granted, there's still E3 that could maybe change a mind or two (unlikely). And Microsoft could end up ditching the idea before release date if they catch enough bad press.

Vertigo
05-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Friend of mine is trying to convince me to build a pc. Seriously starting to consider it. Might be cheaper, or about the same price.

If you're really into gaming, I seriously think you should.

As you mention, the cost factor isn't necessarily in play anymore, versus the new consoles at least. A computer can do anything a console can - you can even set it up in your lounge and play from your couch using the TV as a monitor, if you'd prefer.
You also have the ability to play without discs thanks to Steam, toggle between playing games and browsing the web with a quick Alt+Tab, access to any control method you'd like (personally I think mouse+keyboard is by far the best way to control a shooter, but to each their own), better-looking games, a virtually endless back catalogue, have the functionality to tweak your game's graphics and various settings, and most importantly, you can install (or even create) mods to expand and improve the game to your liking. If you buy Skyrim on a console then you're just getting a fraction of the experience, there are 15,700 mods for it on Steam Workshop alone.
And games tend to be cheaper on the PC.

Kodiak33
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I built a new PC two years ago for about $1100 total. I have a 6950 Radeon that runs everything close to max at 1080P without AA. I've loved it, and I only really need to upgrade my video card probably next year. I hook it up to the TV to play Dolphin (Wii emulator) with my gf, and play NBA 2K13 and others with friends using wireless 360 controllers.

Piko
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
If you're really into gaming, I seriously think you should.

As you mention, the cost factor isn't necessarily in play anymore, versus the new consoles at least. A computer can do anything a console can - you can even set it up in your lounge and play from your couch using the TV as a monitor, if you'd prefer.
You also have the ability to play without discs thanks to Steam, toggle between playing games and browsing the web with a quick Alt+Tab, access to any control method you'd like (personally I think mouse+keyboard is by far the best way to control a shooter, but to each their own), better-looking games, a virtually endless back catalogue, have the functionality to tweak your game's graphics and various settings, and most importantly, you can install (or even create) mods to expand and improve the game to your liking. If you buy Skyrim on a console then you're just getting a fraction of the experience, there are 15,700 mods for it on Steam Workshop alone.
And games tend to be cheaper on the PC.

I'm considering (if I do it) to hook it up to the tv so I can play on it like a console. My skepticism comes in with a mouse and keyboard. Especially when I'm not setting up on a desk.

Kodiak33
05-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Hey Piko,

Buy one of these (or something similar). http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-Entertainment-Wireless-Keyboard-TouchPad/dp/B003UE52ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369333311&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+mini+keyboard

Plus with Steam's Big Picture Mode, it makes it a little easier to navigate on a TV. I just use one of the small Bluetooth Keyboard/Mice combos, and Windows 8 which has a Start Screen that's large and you can set it up with game links on the front.

october_midnight
05-23-2013, 03:21 PM
I can't believe this article...I just....

Microsoft apparently filed a patent to, I shit you not, use the Kinect to monitor people for the MPAA. (http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa)

Summary: "...a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers..."

Piko
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
That will never happen. Not while our civil rights still exists.

Vertigo
05-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Hah, I just read that after listening to Rage Against The Machine for the first time in years. Seems Microsoft's hoping to be Big Brother.

It does depend on the concept that downloaded media is licenced to you rather than owned by you, a subject that is currently extremely controversial, but the fact they'd even want to propose this is deeply unsettling.

RJK
05-23-2013, 04:56 PM
My question is do the MPAA and Microsoft think that too many viewers in one room is a problem? One more reason to pirate movies.

Conan The Barbarian
05-23-2013, 05:43 PM
I can't believe this article...I just....

Microsoft apparently filed a patent to, I shit you not, use the Kinect to monitor people for the MPAA. (http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa)

Summary: "...a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers..."

That's fucking bullshit.

thelastdisciple
05-23-2013, 06:22 PM
"Its just a patent, giving more options to content providers. It doesn't mean anything yet... and its hardly like you couldn't block some of the kinect's view. Seriously people, less over-reacting."

I don't really give a shit, it's the fact that they WANT to do it, that's just not fucking right. Whether it ends up being a thing in reality or not.

Frozen Beach
05-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Christ. All I want is to play Remedy's new game Quantum Break, and maybe even Alan Wake 2 if they actually make it. It's like microsoft are purposely doing things to keep people from purchasing their console.

Piko
05-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Xbox One will probably be the most pirated console of the next gen consoles...

Space Suicide
05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm calling the Xbox One a launch failure. Predicted and anticipated sales on their end and people actually buying it will be an utter failure.

I love how their ambition is so goddamn high with Kinect, TV, Sports Apps and other random bullshit from a titled device that did nothing but play video games a little over 10 years ago. They want innovation to show how advanced they are over Sony and Nintendo. If this is their definition of innovation and the best console they can make, they can keep it. It really will just be a glorified PC wannabe with the case of discs, licensing and multitasking.

Won't see any of you in the 8th generation of gaming anytime soon, I'll stick with my PS3 and my 360 until they get absolutely no more support.

poinoup
05-23-2013, 08:22 PM
TV! TV! TV! TV! TV! SPORTS! SPORTS! CALL OF DUTY!!! TV!

Ex-Vikings punter Cheis Kwule: "They should have called it Xbox Pi, "because it's the third one and saying you don't own the games you bought is quite irrational."

And this sums it up a lot better than I ever could have: http://gameological.com/2013/02/more-more-morehow-do-you-like-it/

Space Suicide
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
I think this new series of consoles are trying to be the meet-all-end-all type of devices they can be. I like a few of the extras on both systems but really, I just want a fucking box that spins a disc and relays information to my TV screen so the controller in my hand can command my on screen two arms and a gun what to do.

Jinsai
05-23-2013, 08:52 PM
yep... they want to make all-in-one devices that do everything... except play the previous generation's games. At least the Wii U got that part (mostly) right.

I care a lot more about backwards compatibility than having the system operate as a voice activated remote control for my TV. Also, it's looking like the new Xbox is also going to be region locked, so that's another check in the negative category for me.

Conan The Barbarian
05-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Both systems will be gaming consoles. All that other stuff is extra. Seriously, if you don't like the idea of having your gaming console do more than just one thing, get a Wii u.

Piko
05-23-2013, 09:19 PM
I could really care less about the extra stuff. I want a console to play games, that's it. I have a computer, cable, and a console. Whole thing is overkill when you have an input button on your tv remote. Who cares though? If you want to make things even more simpler than they likely already are, then you'll probably fall in love with the new console. I have a dvr, so the tv dynamic won't affect me the slightest. The only problem I have is their take on DRM, and lack of freedom to the user. That's it.

"Buy our console, it's great, it has a 500gb HDD that you can't upgrade, and you have to install all of your games. We'll let you know...eventually...if you can delete games to make space later and not pay a fee... Eventually...".

You'd think after the shitstorm they put themselves in, they'd be pretty quick to try talking their way out of it. Nope! Not Microsoft. PR disaster, and they're as quiet as a mouse. Either very confident in what they're showing at E3, or just completely stupid.

And what would they gain by watching people? I think the last thing they would want to do is watch some guy at home tugging one out.

Kodiak33
05-23-2013, 10:18 PM
If things continue to go the way they are going, hackers are going to work extra hard to get the Xbone open.

Piko
05-23-2013, 10:53 PM
And they seem to be forgetting how and why PSN was hacked and taken out of commission.

Conan The Barbarian
05-23-2013, 10:56 PM
I thought the installs go to the cloud?

Jinsai
05-23-2013, 11:23 PM
I thought the installs go to the cloud?

No, I just think they're validated online. It wouldn't really make sense to install the bulk of a game to the cloud. They wouldn't need to "install" it... it would already be there if you were playing it from a streaming source.

october_midnight
05-24-2013, 08:56 AM
New updates and articles:

"Kinect 2.0 is a game changer." (http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-core-gamers-incredibly-important-for-xbox-one-6408857)

What the official game box art will look like. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-box-art-confirmed-6408854)

And lastly, the most interesting one: Xbox One's apparent system for used games. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-preorder-plan-revealed-6408850)

In summary, you trade a game in to GameStop (or another retailer who has agreed to integrate Microsoft's Azure tech in to their own system). Once traded in, the store immediately contacts Microsoft who clears the data files from your account (as has been previously discussed) and registers the game as re-sold. Then it's a fresh game for the next buyer. This is why the Xbox One has to connect with the servers online every 24 hours.

Piko
05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
I just don't care that much about the Kinect. A cool idea that was poorly executed. None of the Kinect games seemed appealing to me. Probably awesome for a five year old. Not a 30 year old. Plus, i'd probably feel like a weirdo. Someone in another room could hear me talking and think "is he talking to himself?", when I'm actually telling it what to do. Maybe I'm old fashioned. I've been at it since the Atari and NES days. Plus, I run around like a lunatic for my day job. Last thing I would ever want to do when I get home from that chaos is to continue moving around like a lunatic.

Whatever happened to going home, laying down, and playing a game?

Conan The Barbarian
05-24-2013, 09:14 AM
So Sony is sort of going the same route yet Xbox is still the bad guy.

Seems like the legion of doom pulled a fast one on all of us.

But like I said, as long as the devs get a piece of that action, I'm fine with it

MAD
05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I could really care less about the extra stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Back to the topic, X1 is crap. At least in EU. No Netflix for example. No NFL.

I mean, seriously? All I ask is a nice console for games with some extras. So far so good. But the bad part is no support for previous generation of games. Required internet access and 5GB RAM is not that much at all. (3GB is reserved for the 3 OSs). The Kinect is and will remain nothing but a gimmick unless hacked. Constant camera and sound recording in my living room? No thanks.

There are a lot of other smaller issues. If they say that the X1 controller will not work on PC, they're fucked up big time.

X1 is one step closer to Fahrenheit 451 and that's cool until you realize it isn't.

Space Suicide
05-24-2013, 12:51 PM
So if the game data files are erased and null after you sell it in and the game is considered new to another console why even bother with an install? What is the fucking point?

staleincense
05-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Has anyone else seen this? (http://www.oxm.co.uk/54712/microsoft-aiming-for-100-million-xbox-360s-sold-and-one-billion-next-gen-consoles/) I mean, not only do Microsoft not give a shit about their players, they are also completely deluded! (and yes, I'm aware it's saying 1 billion next-gen consoles overall, it's still ridiculous).

nemesiswontdie
05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Figured it'd be appropriate to post this.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/nemesiswontdie2/823_zps7141ed27.gif (http://s357.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie2/media/823_zps7141ed27.gif.html)

theburningreptile
05-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Microsoft dun goof'd. I use to love Microsoft but this is just sad. I'm sticking with Sony and Nintendo. R.I.P. XBOX ONE.

Piko
05-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Sad part is, over 250,000 are already lined up to pre order. It shouldn't be, but it'll probably end up breaking even... I think they gave PS4 the win, but, I don't think it's going to hurt Microsoft too much as in terms of profit. Some (alot) games are spineless... They can talk a big game, but at the end of the day will cave (quickly) when a new Halo (or whatever) is about to drop.

Is this post acceptable to you, grammar nazi?

Jinsai
05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
So Sony is sort of going the same route yet Xbox is still the bad guy.

Sony got trashed for their weaker selling points at their unveiling. How are they "going the same route" though?

Sony hasn't outlined a plan to restrict and control the used market. They didn't spend the majority of their showcase talking about how the PS4 would make an awesome TV remote. They didn't specifically gear their show towards sports fanatics. They didn't brag about how they were purchasing exclusive DLC to Call of Duty. They actually showed exclusive games that weren't just CG movies. They demonstrated an awareness of markets outside the US beyond showing a two second clip of Hideo Kojima. Their system won't require you to go online once a day in order for it to continue functioning, and it won't require you to have a camera pointed at you while you use it. In addition to that, Sony hasn't expressed an interest in working with the MPAA to use that camera as a means to spy on you. Also, at least Sony's unveiling show wasn't the most boring bullshit I've ever watched.

There's a lot of things that Sony was justifiably bashed for, but Microsoft just redefined dropping the ball. In addition, they screwed up this bad after Sony went first and gave them a couple months to get their response right. I'm sure they'll somewhat make up for it at E3, but it's hard to spin this as anything but a disaster for them.

liquidcalm
05-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Sony hasn't outlined a plan to restrict and control the used market.

What worries me is that all the used game stuff, the camera see the number of people in the room and licensing accordingly etc.. its all stuff publishers want. Yeah, Sony hasn't said what is going on on the ps4 (and their showing was much better in the 'we want gamers to unite and share and enjoy games!' message.. which is kinda what you want in a games console), but if publishers want this kind of restrictions on their content, even the PS3 can lock content to be online only, I'm sure the ps4 has settings built in to do it.

Sony would be smart to say that in theory the PS4 can have any used game etc. and bounce the actual implementation to the publisher to them look like the bad guys

Hula
05-25-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm hating the whole 'casual gamer vs hardcore gamer' rhetoric that's been going on around the new console in other parts of the internet. People throw the word 'casual' around to refer to people who use their Xbox for Netflix or Call of Duty sessions but aren't ~real gaymerz~. To me, casual gamers are people like my mother who used to play Tomb Raider once a week when she wanted to de-stress. The kind of gamer 'casual' refers to these days is pretty obsessive. It's 'plays a shitton of CoD and Fifa but not much else' versus 'plays a shitton of different games in a variety of genres', which I guess is a 'true' hardcore gamer. The fact is, Microsoft aren't catering to the true casual gamers, the one who pick up the controller from time to time to continue their adventure. They're catering to the lazy dumbfuck jerks who populate matchmaking in CoD and call everyone of a lower level a faggot.

Ugh.

I get what people are saying about picking a different console if this doesn't appeal to you, but when Sony and Microsoft are supposedly the pinnacle of console graphics and computing power... Well, it's like, do we have to pay through the nose for a billion features that just clog the system and essentially turn it into an expensive paperweight just to make the most of cutting-edge gaming technology? Why can't they just release a goddamn games console that is amazing and makes you genuinely excited to play games and release a separate media box to plug into said console if they're so desperate about selling it to people who want TV and Skype linked into their gaming experience? If you've got to draw people in with bells and whistles that have absolutely no bearing on console gaming, you're not selling a very good games console, are you?

I'm glad developers are planning on continuing to support the 360 for the time being. All of these 'features' both Sony and Microsoft have been blathering on about sound more like dealbreakers to me.

Signed,
Sort-of-hardcore gamer who can't afford your stupid console anyway so what do you care

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-26-2013, 11:06 PM
This made me laugh. Way to get their shit on lockdown. At least the dude's got a chance at sitting on a nice fat check from Microsoft after the whole thing blows over.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/26/microsoft-files-complaint-to-acquire-xbox-one-websites

Piko
05-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Just saw that it's region locked. With every update they give about it, it seems like it's another reason for them to tell that "one other thing" that we CAN'T do on their console. Like, they're intentionally trying to make that list get as big as possible. Doesn't bother me any, but if they were smart, I'd probably stop putting out that kind of info.

Are they intentionally trying to be the downer of next gen gaming?

october_midnight
05-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Some details about the new Kinect 2.0 (http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/xbox-reveal-the-eyes-ears-and-brain-of-the-all-new-kinect)

Pretty cool stuff, I actually dig it.

thelastdisciple
06-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Rumors are that the new Xbox might set people back about $900........

Unless you've got an amazing income good luck on hoping to afford any games after that if there aren't any bundled with the system.

Conan The Barbarian
06-01-2013, 12:57 AM
That's after currency conversion. The system will be at 499. No way they will have a system at that price.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

october_midnight
06-01-2013, 01:41 PM
That, combined with the head of GameStop saying he's already been told what both consoles will start off at. While he said he wasn't allowed yet to give prices (obviously), they were both 'around or even a little less' than the starting prices of the PS3 and 360.

Jinsai
06-01-2013, 03:40 PM
That, combined with the head of GameStop saying he's already been told what both consoles will start off at. While he said he wasn't allowed yet to give prices (obviously), they were both 'around or even a little less' than the starting prices of the PS3 and 360.

I will be shocked if they don't price match each other, and there's no way that it's going to be anywhere near 900 dollars. I'd guess they'll be at around 450 to 500.

october_midnight
06-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah me too. As money hungry as most companies most likely are, the day a console drops with a nine bill price tag...the internet would chew them up in a heartbeat lol.

october_midnight
06-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Microsoft just gave a press conference to clear some shit up, first...

It's official, the Xbox One will need to connect online once every 24 hours. (http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-needs-to-connect-to-the-internet-every-24-hour-511751949?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

And the weird one...and I do mean weird. Even though Microsoft has finally confirmed that used games will not have a 'fee' and that it's still 'up to the developer' (really, which dev would say 'no too bad! no trading!')....the big thing announced is...

Each game can only be sold/traded to another person once ...and that person has to have been on your friends list for at least 30 days. (http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-games-can-only-be-given-to-one-person-ever-511754913?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Though I assume SONY will have something similar to match it...still. What. In the actual fuck.

Conan The Barbarian
06-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I admit, that borrow gaming policy is still unclear. But at least you don't have to pay a fee.

Second, the always try to connect thing is a bit dumb, but the features require an internet connection. Hell, the Xbox 360 is shit offline, plus I'm sure everyone willing to buy it won't have a problem with being online.

Wretchedest
06-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Hm.... it's really Sony's move now.... do they just cut the fuckers head off or pull him up off the ground and join forces?

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
I feel for Xbox fans at this point. I'm worried something like this will be happening with Sony...

http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

Piko
06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Hopefully sony doesn't do this. My main gripe about having to check in. What if your connection is crapping out on you? You're screwed and locked out of your console. I'm always online anyway, but there's always the "what if".

And the lending policy is kinda weird. You're only able to lend out a game once, then never again? Hmmm.

Conan The Barbarian
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
I think Sony won't follow the online check in routine. But I think the game policy might be.

Wretchedest
06-06-2013, 07:48 PM
The used game policy is the lesser of the two evils IMHO. I rarely play used/shared games, have no intention of selling my library, etc.

BUt my internet connection can be dodgy sometimes.

Well, actually both DO limit the extent to which we own something we paid money for. It's hard to say. I'm sure more people will be affected by the used games policy than will be affected by the online thing.

Piko
06-06-2013, 07:48 PM
If Sony doesn't fall in line with Microsoft, they'll be ahead. Online checkpoints are a terrible idea, and that's going to screw them. Hopefully Sony doesn't follow.

Jinsai
06-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Though I assume SONY will have something similar to match it...still. What. In the actual fuck.

If Sony is smart, they'll say "fuck that shit" as loudly as possible.

Also, what developer (aka publisher) is going to say "no trading" if it's left up to an executive decision? A lot (most) of them. Expect to see most publishers hold restrictions on sales for about a year after the release of a title.

Space Suicide
06-07-2013, 01:01 AM
The more details that come out, the more it seems to me like they're making up this shit on a whim and winging it with what features and restrictions it will have.

Hula
06-07-2013, 04:15 AM
And the weird one...and I do mean weird. Even though Microsoft has finally confirmed that used games will not have a 'fee' and that it's still 'up to the developer' (really, which dev would say 'no too bad! no trading!')....the big thing announced is...

Each game can only be sold/traded to another person once ...and that person has to have been on your friends list for at least 30 days. (http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-games-can-only-be-given-to-one-person-ever-511754913?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

................................what? No really what. Because it seems like every time Microsoft announce something they think they're reassuring us or putting our worries to rest, but in reality they're just confusing and worrying us even more.

If they can't keep the loyal 360 fans interested, how the hell do they think they're going to attract new consumers? All of this cloak-and-daggers 'We're going to clarify what we told you last week with something even more ambiguous and then we're going to say we can't announce anything further at this time' shit just makes me wonder if they have a console at all or if they're just putting out all of the ideas they knew would annoy fans to see which ones will be less repugnant. Spoiler alert, Microsoft: everything you've announced is shit. It's really only the people who have an Xbox right now mostly to watch Netflix who are in any way interested by your new media cen... er, console.

Kodiak33
06-07-2013, 07:20 AM
The problem I see with their business plan is that they will certainly regress on their customer base. They will definitely make more money because they will get more money from more unites, but they need to expand their base. I don't see how more people are going to buy into this over the 360, but maybe I'm giving people too much credit. I'll just have to wait and see what Sony does, and see how the prices are next year for games.

I might be a PC Gamer only again like I was in the late 90s. Steam is great because games are cheaper new (usually) and they have a ton of sales. iOS games are cheap (usually) and you don't really have to worry about reselling them because they are so cheap. Console games are not cheap, especially if you cannot rent them beforehand to see if you really like them or not.

Conan The Barbarian
06-07-2013, 09:49 AM
To be honest, its a cool idea that trading your games with friends. I can instantly get a game without paying minus trading a game with a friend. Beats the hassle of going to GameStop and paying a pretty shitty price for a used game that is in a very used condition.

I can understand this way is not for everyone.

Again though its not entirely clear. Once I lend a game, can I have the license back without hassle?

Also, how restricted is that family plan idea? I'm thinking me and couple of friends are going to be on the same family account that way we can share the games we buy. Pretty neat idea if it goes the way I'm hoping it does.

In the minority, but I'm digging the new Xbox.

october_midnight
06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
So am I. To be honest, I was talking with my friend about it...about how SONY's PS4 conference was 'disappointing' and people saying the Xbox One's "fizzled". I think we've officially hit the point where the vocal minority has won. That's it...today's gamer is so self-entitled (not talking about anyone here AT ALL) with such a shit attention span that it is officially impossible to please them. Think about it. Ten years ago a new console would've been awesome! Now people just can't wait to jump on Microsoft's Facebook posts, or on to Reddit, or wherever...and just slag the shit out of anything.

It's so fucking depressing.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-07-2013, 10:10 AM
In other news, got a thousand dollars and want a cool thing?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1360501894/darkmatter-xbox-laptop-and-diy-kit

Wretchedest
06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
So am I. To be honest, I was talking with my friend about it...about how SONY's PS4 conference was 'disappointing' and people saying the Xbox One's "fizzled". I think we've officially hit the point where the vocal minority has won. That's it...today's gamer is so self-entitled (not talking about anyone here AT ALL) with such a shit attention span that it is officially impossible to please them. Think about it. Ten years ago a new console would've been awesome! Now people just can't wait to jump on Microsoft's Facebook posts, or on to Reddit, or wherever...and just slag the shit out of anything.

It's so fucking depressing.i dont think thats entirely the case... i think that maybe since thebgaming generation has aged theyre treating these pur hases with more scrutiny. We have nore things to pay for and maybe well look for any reason not to want this thing that can cripple us financially.

But im still excited. If the PS4 isnt as draconian itll be pretty awesome. Look how greatThe Last Of Us looks. Games tet to advance more than that now. Thats nuts!. And when you think about how far gaming really came in the last generation, youll notice gameplay has made a significant leap. Maybeitll make another one.

Piko
06-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Wonder how the family list will work. Will you be able to edit it later? Or, are you stuck with the ten you choose. It doesn't help one that they're being so cryptic about it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Posted by a buddy on Facebook. Microsoft is allegedly fighting the good fight!

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-positive-reddit-comments-2013-6

Space Suicide
06-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Posted by a buddy on Facebook. Microsoft is allegedly fighting the good fight!

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-positive-reddit-comments-2013-6

If true, that's just pathetic.

Vertigo
06-08-2013, 03:41 AM
They've also allegedly bribed some publishers not to show PS4 games at E3. (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Paying-Third-Party-Publishers-to-Not-Show-PS4-Games-at-E3-2013-Report-359264.shtml)

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Starting July 1st and ongoing until the end of the console's cycle, all Microsoft Live Gold members will receive 2 free game downloads per month, for full games (they gave AC II and Halo 3 as examples). Not bad!

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 11:55 AM
RYSE: Son of Rome looks siiiiiiiiick.

Killer Instinct LOLLLLLLLLLL. "ULLLLLTRA COOOOMMMMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo oo!!!"

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 12:30 PM
FINALLY getting rid of MS Points and moving to real currency later this year.

Also, Dead Rising 3 looks fucking. rad.

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Hey Killer Instinct is a thing! Its like, reason Number 2 to get Xbox 1

thelastdisciple
06-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I am disappointed that Dead Rising is now exclusive to Xbox......

It came out on PS3 before, what the fuck gives? ughhhh...

Space Suicide
06-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Killer Instinct has me roped in but the gameplay looked a bit...odd. It looked like an exact reskin of the NES version. Still a favorite fighting game of mine.

Dead Rising 3 looks good as well.

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm sold on this console on these games alone. Looks like I'm gonna hold off on Watch_Dogs, etc. to get them on next-gen. Pumped.

thelastdisciple
06-10-2013, 12:50 PM
In this new generation can we get away from quick time events interrupting gameplay? Ryse Son of Rome looks damn good but why can't they go for fluid combat more like the Batman Arkham games.

Tums206_BFY
06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
$499 in the US in November (21 other markets worldwide as well)

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Gonna reserve mine today...woot!

Space Suicide
06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
I am disappointed that Dead Rising is now exclusive to Xbox......

It came out on PS3 before, what the fuck gives? ughhhh...

First Dead Rising game was Xbox 360 only. Dead Rising 2 and Off The Record were released on PS3 for some reason.

$499.99 is a semi-decent price but I am unsure what the future holds for me now.

thelastdisciple
06-10-2013, 01:09 PM
First Dead Rising game was Xbox 360 only. Dead Rising 2 and Off The Record were released on PS3 for some reason.
Talk about creating inconsistency.

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Still not sold ill hold out until im shitting money or until some ultra deluxe Halo 5 Xbox One comes out.... that seems likely.

Conan The Barbarian
06-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Can you reserve the console today?

thelastdisciple
06-10-2013, 01:20 PM
I see the feminists are on this like flies on shit....

OMG NO FEMALE CHARACTERS!

Space Suicide
06-10-2013, 01:27 PM

When we get female characters we have tits and ass and that is unacceptable. CANNOT WIN!

Looking over it now, despite my initial discontent, I think I very well might set a goal to get the Xbox One on launch of the month after if I can.

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 01:35 PM
That was fast. For weeks all ive seen is hate for this thing and in just two simple hours people are down to buy one? Although Space and October always seemed open to it, I guess. Patiently waiting for Sony's word on the more controversial end of things.

Conan The Barbarian
06-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Because people are quick to judge. I have been on board since they announced it because it seemed like a cool system.

Can't wait to hear more about Xbox live.

Piko
06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Wonder how xbox live will work as well. Are they going to continue the free games after launch for gold members? Seems like they're teasing the idea of PlayStation plus.

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare looks amaaaaazing. Third person co-op shooter based on PvZ? Yes please.

Gameplay video. (http://kotaku.com/yes-plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-looks-like-a-cr-512377714?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Space Suicide
06-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Because people are quick to judge. I have been on board since they announced it because it seemed like a cool system.

Can't wait to hear more about Xbox live.

I really dislike a lot of what Xbox One is doing but why on earth is everyone putting that PS4 on the pedastal it doesn't deserve? Both systems had their pros and cons and will continue to do so in the next generation.

I'm more inclined about the Xbox One over the PS4. I own 360 and PS3 so I'm not a blind fanboy who bashes and praises one over another.

Piko
06-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Sony hasn't even taken the stage yet... I'm judging based on launch titles at this point. Sony has them beat on that imo. I think by the time Halo comes out, I'll cave and buy one. But in all honesty, they're not so different from one another, aside from exclusives.

Space Suicide
06-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Sony hasn't even taken the stage yet... I'm judging based on launch titles at this point. Sony has them beat on that imo. I think by the time Halo comes out, I'll cave and buy one. But in all honesty, they're not so different from one another, aside from exclusives.

Basically all it comes down to. I look at articles and such everywhere and all I see is bashing of Xbox One and the praise for PS4. Not even over the titles, just stupid ass shit. Every comment I read is illiterate, ignorant, whiny or just plain dumb. The resounding hatred for Xbox One I don't get. I was thrown off by the initial announcement, overhype of entertainment crap and some practices they are going to put into effect but I never truly despised it or wrote it off. These people are writing it off immediately for no reason because they think that PS4 is going to be any different. I guarantee everything Xbox One is doing will be along the same lines with what PS4 will enact.

Conan The Barbarian
06-10-2013, 04:53 PM
To be honest, some of us here including my self will own both.

This sensless internet bitch fest has gotten so annoying since the consoles have been revealed.

Jinsai
06-10-2013, 05:18 PM
These people are writing it off immediately for no reason because they think that PS4 is going to be any different. I guarantee everything Xbox One is doing will be along the same lines with what PS4 will enact.

If Sony comes out and basically says that they're doing all the same stuff that people are bashing Microsoft for doing, they are THE stupidest company in the world.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
If Sony confirms that they're doing the same thing, then I'll be one of the first people to shun the PS4, too. But so far, there's no real evidence to say they'll go one way or the other, so as it stands right now, the PS4 is looking better in just about every way to me. Isn't the Playstation conference tonight anyway? We'll know by then. Just a matter of time.

I can see myself picking up one of the new 360s, though. Maybe I'll just have a 360 and PS3 for a while, pick up the PS4 next holiday, and then maaaybe the Xbox One after a couple years, if it's proven it's worth the money by then.

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Just got back from puttin' $50 down on an Xbox One...had to bite the bullet lol.

Piko
06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Is $50 the minimum you can throw in?

Conan The Barbarian
06-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Just got back from puttin' $50 down on an Xbox One...had to bite the bullet lol.

Wait, where? The GameStop near me wanted 100 so I have to wait till Friday.

Frozen Beach
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
When we get female characters we have tits and ass and that is unacceptable. CANNOT WIN!

Someone should make a game that sexualizes men, and then make the females badass just to shut up these tumblr "feminist" imbeciles.

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Wait, where? The GameStop near me wanted 100 so I have to wait till Friday.

BestBuy. The EB near me (Canadian side of GameStop) told me they were 'only getting 50 consoles in at launch' and that I had to be there when the store opened tomorrow as today after the conference there was an influx of people going in to ask the same thing. Screw that, went to BestBuy, they had a big display with cards, grab one, take it to the counter and pay. Easy. I didn't know EB/GS wanted $100 either, so maybe it's a good thing haha.

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 07:33 PM
no display for ps4?

Piko
06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
If Sony confirms that they're doing the same thing, then I'll be one of the first people to shun the PS4, too. But so far, there's no real evidence to say they'll go one way or the other, so as it stands right now, the PS4 is looking better in just about every way to me. Isn't the Playstation conference tonight anyway? We'll know by then. Just a matter of time.

I can see myself picking up one of the new 360s, though. Maybe I'll just have a 360 and PS3 for a while, pick up the PS4 next holiday, and then maaaybe the Xbox One after a couple years, if it's proven it's worth the money by then.

To be fair, though, Microsoft made it seem like it was more of a Publisher/Developer thing that Microsoft. Also, I think PS4 will have DRM as well. What i'm curious about (if they indeed do it) is whether or not they'll go the same route as Microsoft. The whole, "check in, or lock out" thing is a jab to some people, and a bit over the top and excessive. So, if Sony does DRM as well, will they go the same route, or will they actually try to compromise with the consumers instead of the whole "tough shit" mentality we're getting from Microsoft.

october_midnight
06-10-2013, 08:50 PM
no display for ps4?

Yep it was there, same deposit amount required.

nemesiswontdie
06-11-2013, 04:01 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/killer-instinct-is-a-fun-free-to-play-xbox-one-launch-game

Was pretty jealous that KI is X1 exclusive. Then got really jelly when I read that it's FREE (wait for it) on X1.

By free, they mean that you get ONE CHARACTER or free. The other characters? You gotta buy em.

Jinsai
06-11-2013, 04:53 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/killer-instinct-is-a-fun-free-to-play-xbox-one-launch-game

Was pretty jealous that KI is X1 exclusive. Then got really jelly when I read that it's FREE (wait for it) on X1.

By free, they mean that you get ONE CHARACTER or free. The other characters? You gotta buy em.

...and then I looked into it further, and found that the original studio and team have nothing to do with the new Killer Instinct game, and that instead it's been handed over to Double Helix Games, creators of stuff like Battleship: The Movie The Game

xmd 5a
06-11-2013, 06:25 AM
I'll probably be going PS4 based on price alone (it was the deciding factor for me going 360 this generation).

It's a pretty valid complaint. The rabid misogynist, anti-feminist backlash has made me extremely reluctant to call myself a "gamer" nowadays. I actually find it hilarious that so many people are whining abot games being subjected to the same critical analysis and discussion in terms of gender, race, etc that films, books and music have for decades yet want games to be considered an "artform". Can't have it both ways, aresholes.

liquidcalm
06-11-2013, 07:28 AM
I'll probably be going PS4 based on price alone (it was the deciding factor for me going 360 this generation).

It's a pretty valid complaint. The rabid misogynist, anti-feminist backlash has made me extremely reluctant to call myself a "gamer" nowadays. I actually find it hilarious that so many people are whining abot games being subjected to the same critical analysis and discussion in terms of gender, race, etc that films, books and music have for decades yet want games to be considered an "artform". Can't have it both ways, aresholes.

Totally agree. It's pretty hard to be told that a lot of what you enjoy is massively biased to one gender, and that this is wrong, but the entitled, crumb spitting response is completely ridiculous and at times.

thelastdisciple
06-11-2013, 07:54 AM
I just find the instant knee-jerk complaints from all sides completely annoying valid or not whether it's ageist, sexist, mothers against violence or whatever the fuck it is I'm tired of hearing about it

It's like can nothing be sacred just for one day? leave your logic at the door for a minute. I know I'm not innocent either in this regard but seems like a hard thing to ask, a fantasy basically. Everyone is going to bitch about something that's just how we're programmed.... hell I'm bitching about the bitching.

At least there's a new Mirror's Edge coming.

Ruined
06-11-2013, 08:19 AM
It's like can nothing be sacred just for one day? leave your logic at the door for a minute. It's odd that you imply that we should not take this serious, or speak up about it (the sexism, price issues, DRM issues), yet, also use the term "sacred." Uh, yesterday was basically a day of marketplace competition, played out before our eyes; you know, two major companies rolling out their respective products? So, yeah, people are going to compare, scrutinize, make their voices heard and point out flaws. Regardless of which side one is on, to bury your head in the sand (though your right) does not mean others can't judge both companies and make their concerns known. As for "knee-jerk complaints," many of the flaws regarding DRM issues and price were issues about which we have been hearing over the last few months. So, people had already decided they did not want the DRM restrictions and even petitioned the respective companies, voicing their concerns. Microsoft chose to ignore it, and consumers are letting them hear about it (as they should).

thelastdisciple
06-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Uh, yesterday was basically a day of marketplace competition, played out before our eyes; you know, two major companies rolling out their respective products? So, yeah, people are going to compare, scrutinize, make their voices heard and point out flaws.
No fucking kidding, i can't believe i didn't think of this before...... did i not just say it would be fantasy otherwise?

It's odd that you imply that we should not take this serious, or speak up about it (the sexism, price issues, DRM issues), yet, also use the term "sacred."

Also there's this saying: let sleeping dogs lie.

Ruined
06-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Also there's this saying: let sleeping dogs lie. There's also a term, "discussion thread." So, what, we have a thread and don't actually post our respective thoughts? You criticize others for voicing their opinion and then basically, exclaim, "Silence! I have spoken!" So anyway, the general consensus (from consumers and analysts) is that the Xbox One has an uphill battle (with its pricing and DRM issues). I'm sure Xbox users will remain Xbox users and PS users will remain PS users; however, the neutral will either stay PC gamers or lean toward the PS4 based on price, used games, etc.

liquidcalm
06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
No fucking kidding, i can't believe i didn't think of this before...... did i not just say it would be fantasy otherwise?

Also there's this saying: let sleeping dogs lie.
i think these dogs are awake and barking at each other...

and if we don't speak out on what we think is right and wrong around big issues such as gender, equality etc and ask the difficult questions, then we are never going to address them.

thelastdisciple
06-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Well at the end of it all maybe i should've just followed my own advice because clearly i opened some can of worms......

I probably should have known acknowledging such a precious issue would start to ruffle some feathers.

Sure discuss whatever you want to believe in of course this is a "discussion forum", speak up, voice your opinions and all that jazz i encourage it...... I'm just expressing how i was seeing things from the outside looking in and just hoping that for some point in time we could let bygones be bygones and share in the wealth of awesome things that have been happening instead of focusing on all these other avenues... it gets exhausting sometimes with everything having to be so politically correct all the time, i don't need Grandma to hold my hand while i walk across the road.

I'm getting off topic now but back to Xbox One, I'm just not too impressed and don't feel good about supporting any of Microsoft's business practices with it.

Yeah there are some incredible games announced and at the end of the day that's what you'd want but there are just too many hurdles now put in place around what I'd actually LIKE to enjoy about the console.

Wretchedest
06-12-2013, 12:19 AM
I have to say, Titanfall looks so fucking kickass!

ibanez33
06-12-2013, 02:18 AM
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, and it's called the Xbox 360"

"So stick with the 360, that's your message?"

"Well...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g

Well done, Microsoft.

Conan The Barbarian
06-12-2013, 05:44 AM
That man will not last at his position.

Jinsai
06-12-2013, 05:51 AM
That man will not last at his position.
Maybe not, but what should he have said in response? I really can't think of a good way to answer that question, and that's part of the problem.

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Looks like they're finally starting to officially make statements.

The knee-jerk reaction online was 'kind of expected' (http://www.oxm.co.uk/56219/xbox-ones-trade-in-policies-would-be-easier-to-understand-without-discs-admits-microsoft/). They want the Xbox One to possibly be 'the last console you'll ever buy'. (http://www.oxm.co.uk/56206/features/the-hot-topic-is-xbox-one-the-last-console-youll-ever-buy/)

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Also interesting to note, that the quick once-every-24-hours connection can be done through your cellphone too in case your net connection is down for whatever reason.

Jinsai
06-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Looks like they're finally starting to officially make statements.

The knee-jerk reaction online was 'kind of expected'. They want the Xbox One to possibly be 'the last console you'll ever buy'.

Maybe they should have just gone digital only then, and admitted that the new Microsoft console is basically a pc... With one of the big differences being the pay-to-play online precedent. You can argue pros and cons for that, much as you always could argue that pc gaming is the way to go and has been all along. Either way, all of this is moving away from a gaming console in the traditional sense.

I don't believe the argument that this move is going to drive down game prices significantly or that we'll start seeing console sales similar to steam. If that were the case, wouldn't we already be seeing a huge divide between retail physical copies and their digital counterparts? Instead it seems that if you keep an eye on physical sales, you can get it cheaper than the direct download. Also, I don't get how this family plan is going to benefit publishers. That seems more like one sale of a game turns out to wind up "in the hands" of nine other people who otherwise might have bought their own copies.

Part of the sales model for steam works because it's practically a parallel economy to the console market, and there's little crossover business. The negative reaction to Microsoft adopting the strategies of the pc market isn't causing a "knee jerk" reaction, and people don't misunderstand what they're trying to do. A lot of people prefer gaming on a console instead of a pc, and they have legitimate reasons for that.

Hula
06-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Also interesting to note, that the quick once-every-24-hours connection can be done through your cellphone too in case your net connection is down for whatever reason.

Oooh, really? One point for Microsoft! At least I could always nip down to McDonald's and use the wifi there if I wound up without internet for months again like last year.

Although... If it's possible to check in on your phone, why have they made it a feature to have to connect every 24 hours at all? I assumed when I first heard about it that it had something to do with keeping data updated to the cloud or whatever but if checking in on your phone is sufficient, it seems more like they're just making you have to connect regularly for the hell of it.

Jinsai
06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Oooh, really? One point for Microsoft! At least I could always nip down to McDonald's and use the wifi there if I wound up without internet for months again like last year.

Although... If it's possible to check in on your phone, why have they made it a feature to have to connect every 24 hours at all? I assumed when I first heard about it that it had something to do with keeping data updated to the cloud or whatever but if checking in on your phone is sufficient, it seems more like they're just making you have to connect regularly for the hell of it.

I'm assuming it means that there will actually be a way to pair your smartphone with your console, and that it will then use your phone's 3G/4G connection to bring the console online for a moment so it can "validate" with Microsoft's servers. Of course, none of this will prevent Microsoft's servers from being hacked and taken down in the event of a security breach. Before anyone claims that it just can't happen to Microsoft's video game division, consider that hackers have broken through the Pentagon's security in the past.

Not even Steam does something like this sort of "check up on you" bullshit, and I'd expect it's going to be done away with in the future via a firmware update.

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
The article I got the smartphone stuff from. (http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_24-hour_check-in_using_mobile_phone_uses_kilobytes_of_data_says_ harrison.html)

Wretchedest
06-12-2013, 04:46 PM
It seems like the one thing xvox has done right, other than land the Titan Fall exclusive, is somehow make it appear as though they are the only console that does non game things.

I keep reading "but XB1 does all these cool other things. " yes, so does ps4 they both do all kind of video streaming and wacky other bullshit. The ps3 and 360 currently do most of those things too. Its a falsehood, but it seems to be all the ground they have left to stand on.

Hula
06-12-2013, 05:33 PM
The article I got the smartphone stuff from. (http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_24-hour_check-in_using_mobile_phone_uses_kilobytes_of_data_says_ harrison.html)

'"We do recognise there will be these very rare edge cases where for whatever reason your internet is down," said Harrison. "In my experience internet downtime lasts for seconds or minutes.'

Um, yeah. He should come to Ireland sometime. Thirty houses eating up the same bandwidth? Lotsa downtime. Also the phone thing is only useful if you have a data plan which, again, is a bit of a novelty here unless you're raking in dough. Sigh.

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 05:42 PM
The phone check-ins will be kilobytes at the most they've said. I'm just sitting back watching the internet working itself up in to a frenzy (as anyone with half a brain knows is what happens pretty much daily) over shit that won't be an issue soon. Like I've said, if Twitter and Facebook were what they are now back for this gen's consoles...people would've collectively shit their pants then too. People were so...SO pissed when the PS3 was more...then a few months later nobody gave a shit. Once both these consoles are out, the exact same thing will happen. Changes will be made, kinks worked out.

If someone can afford high speed internet but can't get a valuable and proficient service where they are, the rage should be pointed at the provider. Microsoft is playing long-term and people fear change. The day-one $60 disc model is crumbling.

Hula
06-12-2013, 06:07 PM
The problem is, it's not the ISP's fault that gamers will be unable to reliably connect to the Xbox servers when needed, it's Microsoft's for making it a necessity. The fact of the matter is, a lot of countries (read: not North America) don't have reliable internet. Some people don't have internet access at all. Shock revelation: some of those people are gamers. And, as I've mentioned here and elsewhere, there are times when people just don't have access to the internet, for example when I moved house and had to wade through a metric fuckton of bullshit with my landlord trying to get it set up, leaving me without broadband for around a month. That time would have been even more irritating had I not been able to play the 360 as it was about the only thing I could do in that time, and it kept me sane.

If someone can afford high speed internet, they probably have a proficient service. If you're in a country where broadband only became a common thing about a year or two ago, you're fucked because there just isn't the infrastructure and even when there is, you're probably being charged through the nose for it because it's still considered a luxury. Again, read: not North America. I'm paying for a pretty okay package right now but it's the cheapest I can get without seeing my connection suffer and it's still more than I can afford right now. I genuinely won't be surprised if I have to give up the internet by November if I want to be able to afford living away from home (yay for making less than people on unemployment benefit!). Part of what will influence my decision on which console to go with will be whether or not I think I'll even be able to use it should I have to sacrifice my broadband.

It's just shit because I love the Xbox 360 and I think Microsoft are this pretty cool, dorky company and even having tried the PS3, I still prefer the 360. The problem is Microsoft are alienating a lot of people and the people who aren't affected by the issues are like 'Well get the fuck over it, it's not a big deal.' Good for whoever has the luxury of reliable internet / being able to afford brand new games at full retail price / blah blah blah but they're not the segment that is going to be adversely affected by this.

I'm really, really glad they're not phasing out the 360 with the release of the new console. There's a part of me that wonders if they anticipated people not bothering to go next-gen in favour of hanging onto the 360 as long as new releases come out on it, but then I know enough people will rush out to buy the Brand New Thing that it probably won't be an issue anyway. It just feels counter-intuitive for them to be telling us this is God's gift to gaming and multimedia with one breath and with the next telling us not to throw away our 360s just yet.

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 06:12 PM
It just feels counter-intuitive for them to be telling us this is God's gift to gaming and multimedia with one breath and with the next telling us not to throw away our 360s just yet.

Couldn't you also view this as their way of acknowledging these people that have internet issues and saying 'Yeah it's a shitty deal, but we wanna make sure we let you know that you still have an option to play new games for at least a few years still, and we hope you stick with the 360.'?? Seems like there's still two sides to view the 360 bit as...1) counter-intuitive, or 2) acknowledgement of something that can't be side-stepped so at least there's this, kinda deal.

thelastdisciple
06-12-2013, 06:17 PM
It may be slowing down and on a constant state of decline but physical media will still stick around for quite a long time to come yet and i doubt the Xbox One has the future in check that far down the line, record shops have been closing and your typical music selection at Best Buy has been scaled back but look at music CDs... we've had access to MP3s and digital marketplaces for 15 years now (mp3.com was even a thing in 1997 don't forget) and they're still being made and so far people are still buying 'em. A Nielsen/Billboard sales report from 2012 even still quotes physical media as the dominant format, i am almost positive that this has a similar reflection on disc-based gaming despite the price difference.

Plus if they're so bent digital content, why not put in a bigger hard drive? it isn't that much for a terabyte these days....

Hula
06-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Definitely a positive way of looking at it, but it seems like every bit of official news we get on the matter is all very rushed and 'Oh, you caught me out there!' It's really great that they'll still be supporting the 360, but it's like what is there to make me want the Xbox One when I do find myself in a situation where it's advantageous to buy one? They're essentially saying it's cool, we can make do with the 360 for now - we're not missing out...which makes me wonder why bother? If that's not what they're saying, then what they are saying is tough luck if we don't have internet, sucks to be us, there's always the 360...which makes me not want to buy the console on principle.

Eh. I find myself getting entirely too jaded over all of this because I don't want to hate what they're doing with the Xbone, but I do. If anything, this just seems like the best time to give the competitor a proper trial while they're offering something that Microsoft aren't. That seems to be the crux of it right now - apathy, rather than any strong inclination one way or the other. Sure there are those who claim to hate Microsoft right now but they'll probably come crawling back the second some big thing happens in the Sony camp. I think that was what Space Suicide was getting at about band wagons - it's not so much band wagons, though, as sensationalism. People are freaking out because yeah, it's a scary, shifting time in gaming right now. The problem is Microsoft are selling us a pretty damn raw deal and Sony are just sitting back and smirking to themselves as they do the opposite of everything Microsoft do.

twilight explosion
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I honestly can't wait to see the bitching from people when their kinects break and they can't play their cable box one. I'll be sitting in my room laughing with my ps4.

Piko
06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Would really suck if Live got hacked like what happened to PSN. Of course, i'm stating the worst case scenario here. But, if Live was taken down for an extended period of time, everyone would be locked out? Cool that they want to fully embrace cloud tech and so on. But don't force it on someone. Options are nice. Plus, a lot of people like to reference steam. Problem is, that the live marketplace doesn't lower it's prices. You can buy a new copy of a game for 20 bucks off amazon, but the digital version of it on live could still be 60 bucks... I don't see it being cost effective for anyone.

october_midnight
06-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Would really suck if Live got hacked like what happened to PSN. Of course, i'm stating the worst case scenario here. But, if Live was taken down for an extended period of time, everyone would be locked out?

Something tells me they've already thought of a scenario like this, among countless others...

Jinsai
06-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Something tells me they've already thought of a scenario like this, among countless others...

Something tells me there's a lot of things they haven't thought of. In the wake of the backlash to their 24-hour check-in policy, they're now scrambling to find a workaround that will let people in the military be exempt... which I'm sure will wind up being something similar to offline software authentication.

Still though, isn't the Kinect kind of essential for basic operation of the system? After all, it's required for it to work.

Wretchedest
06-14-2013, 12:53 AM
actually, all grief aside, the mandatory kinect thing seems baffling and insane to me. Why did they decide that Kinect MUST be a part of this thing? it raises costs, complicates things... I don't get.

Do they get extra PRISM points or something?

*edit*
Holy shit! I have not thought about the repurcussions of a mandatory kinect system getting hacked PSN style. Crazy!

Jinsai
06-14-2013, 02:54 AM
actually, all grief aside, the mandatory kinect thing seems baffling and insane to me. Why did they decide that Kinect MUST be a part of this thing? it raises costs, complicates things... I don't get.

Besides some more cynical considerations, I'm sure the reason they require it is so that the technology will be considered "available" to everyone who owns the console. Obviously, the original model for this is the runaway success of the Wii. I'm sure there's also some consideration that the Sony Move didn't do as well as it would have if every PS3 owner was given one with the system, and maybe there's even a point there with the fact that fewer PS3 users are on headsets compared to 360 players... which I'd say is actually frequently a blessing, but anyway...

I'm sure the idea is that they're hoping publishers will feel more comfortable developing with Kinect in mind if everyone on the X One has a kinect, and they can rest assured that it's plugged in and working, because if not, their system doesn't work. If a peripheral is not forced upon the consumer, the adoption rate is always a disappointment, and the support for it rarely flies. See the Sega CD, the 32X, the Sony Move, the Super Scope, the N64DD, that stupid dual joystick controller for the Dreamcast, that stupid LCD screen thing that plugged into the Dreamcast controller, the ram expansion card for the Saturn, any light gun...

The Kinect was a success, especially at first when people were wowed by a five second glance at Best Buy, but in the long run it turned out to be a disappointment. Unless you like dancing games. People might not be as eager to upgrade to the new version, so...

october_midnight
06-14-2013, 08:13 AM
And you won't have to. It's not mandatory for most games (unless you actually BUY the exercise ones, etc.). For things like Dead Rising 3, it's optional...but fucking cool. Wanna distract zombies to lure them away from something? Yell at your tv....that's fucking cool. And they've already also said the 'always watching you' can be turned off at your leisure.

That's what's baffling me...everyone's talking about these worst case, what-if scenarios that'll probably never ever occur. Yes, I get the military one..that's a misstep and MS shit the bed if they didn't plan for those people. I think MS realized that in the long run (which is what any console 'war' ends up being) it'll be cheaper to switch to digital distribution. It's no secret that GameStop (or EB for us hoser Canadians) has stated that the used game market has consistently declined throughout the years. My guess is that MS sets up some kind of market online to trade games where prices (or points rather...it IS Microsoft) can be gathered or bought to exchange used games..something like older games or less popular games are worth less points. Like I've said, they're just sitting back and weathering this childish social media horseshit.

Microsoft (and I can guarantee you, Sony as well) is probably LOL'ing at these exception scenarios being tossed about ('what if I'm on a submarine!' says the kid in his mom's basement, from his tablet, next to his PS3...) Microsoft realizes what most of us do too (even though it's 2013 and with social media the way it is, everything ever released on shelves is torn apart like a steak by hungry wolves)...that 99% of these boxes will be sitting in people's living rooms near their tv, connected online. 'I have to check in every 24 hours or I can't play? BUT WHAT IF I LEAVE ON VACATION FOR A WEEK?' 'It checks in the second you return and fire it up...problem solved.' Everyone's overreacting to shit because that's what people do today. Go to the new Gears of War's FB page. They post something about 'Buy this new shirt in our online store!' and self-entitled idiots post endlessly on how 'better GoW3 was than this piece of shit'. Why do you think MS hasn't 'scrambled' and released a statement? Why hasn't EPIC games posted on FB saying 'Guys we did our best! We're proud of Judgment and love that some still play GoW3!' ??? Because they know....everyone's overreacting. That's what people do today.

Kodiak33
06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Would really suck if Live got hacked like what happened to PSN. Of course, i'm stating the worst case scenario here. But, if Live was taken down for an extended period of time, everyone would be locked out? Cool that they want to fully embrace cloud tech and so on. But don't force it on someone. Options are nice. Plus, a lot of people like to reference steam. Problem is, that the live marketplace doesn't lower it's prices. You can buy a new copy of a game for 20 bucks off amazon, but the digital version of it on live could still be 60 bucks... I don't see it being cost effective for anyone.

Yes, the Steam comparisons are dumb. You have multiple sources where you can get Steam keys from, the competition is fantastic therefore prices go lower, and you can play games offline with Steam. This will not happen with the Xbone because Microsoft etc. will control the market themselves.

twilight explosion
06-15-2013, 01:46 AM
the kinect is mandatory for the cable box one to even function dude

also http://levelsave.com/banned-xbox-one-users-lose-all-of-their-games/

Conan The Barbarian
06-15-2013, 05:58 AM
It just has to be connected to the system, you don't have to have it turned on. Although its sort of listening for voice commands.

twilight explosion
06-15-2013, 09:04 AM
so it's always on

Piko
06-15-2013, 10:19 AM
It's a standby mode. Pretty sure PS4 has it too.

Hula
06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
The PS4 doesn't have a mandatory camera that you can't disconnect, that's the difference here - I'm pretty sure the optional Eye Toy won't be in standby mode if you can physically unplug it from the console. It wouldn't be an issue if there were a way of actually switching off the Kinect but it seems like it's always going to be enabled in some capacity.

Kodiak33
06-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Now MS is saying you can share your game library with ten people, does not have to be "family". This is really interesting, I just can't see how publishers will agree to this. Maybe they will not allow "sharing" for their games? This is huge if its true.

henryeatscereal
06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Dont care joining to all the "X-box haters", i just found this hilarious!

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7548017920/hCFD7AD57/

Piko
06-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Despite the stupid, over the top restrictions, and if they really feel the need to watch me yank my knob, or expect me to watch tv instead of the dvr I have beside it, it'll definitely be a cool enough console, game-wise. I just hope they don't go all overboard with kinect integration like PS3 did with sixaxis. And despite the flaws, it does have awesome exclusives. I won't be buying it this year, but I eventually will.

Rabbit
06-18-2013, 12:41 AM
The X1 is pushing cloud gaming forward. PS4 is just last gen ecosystem with updated graphics.

Wait and see. Wait and see.

Jinsai
06-18-2013, 12:46 AM
The X1 is pushing cloud gaming forward. PS4 is just last gen ecosystem with updated graphics.

Yeah, it's not like Sony acquired the game streaming company Gaikai or anything.

Both systems are getting into cloud gaming and streaming. I don't need to "wait and see" anything to realize that Microsoft could shit on your doorstep and you'd find some reason to thank them for it.

Rabbit
06-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Yeah, it's not like Sony acquired the game streaming company Gaikai or anything.

Both systems are getting into cloud gaming and streaming. I don't need to "wait and see" anything to realize that Microsoft could shit on your doorstep and you'd find some reason to thank them for it.

And I don't have to assume you've always been a Sony fan. Last gen PS3 uber fanboy? Probably. You were also probably in the camp being fooled by typical Sony smoke and mirrors during the PS3 launch eh? How'd that turn out for you? Predictions were met? probably not, 360 cruised.

I see the same thing happening here. Sony has always been behind online, and they continue to show they are behind an entire generation. Both consoles will get the multiplat games and the Xbox versions will continue to dominate. Yes, Sony will have some nice exclusives but this time less than before.

What about extra peripherals? Sonys "move" failed, what else do they have? That camera? Sure. ok. Will it sell? nah. Kinect will continue to improve and the X1 online will continue to offer a lot more. So, some eager over zealous gamers will blow up the internet and claim the PS the winner before the generation starts, the media and gaming press follow a la Fox news... nothing new here.

The more I talk to actual developers the more I see what the X1 is doing that's going to blow the doors off the PS4. You can cry about it but it's going to happen.. will you be man enough to admit it once it happens though? nah, you'll just claim the PS4 is better for 'you'

Microsoft hasn't shit on anyones doorstep, yet. The gen hasn't started. The policies need ironing out, and they're working on it. Lets see what happens before you consider Microsoft in bed with the NSA and EA sports shall we?

Jinsai
06-18-2013, 12:58 AM
And I don't have to assume you've always been a Sony fan. Last gen PS3 uber fanboy? Probably. You were also probably in the camp being fooled by typical Sony smoke and mirrors during the PS3 launch eh? How'd that turn out for you? Predictions were met? probably not, 360 cruised.

There's some 360 games i've liked a lot. I'm not like you. I played Mass Effect on 360 when it was an exclusive, and Shadow Complex is one of my favorite games. I'm not a hardcore Sony fan. Fuck them, they're assholes. But they make the video game console that I prefer and the one I'm intending to buy at some point.

Your allegiance to the Xbox is kind of insane. Are you ten?

And yeah, I was satisfied with the PS3, considering that Uncharted 2 was probably my favorite game of the last generation.

nemesiswontdie
06-18-2013, 01:19 AM

Uh, I'm pretty sure that the 360 didn't cruise at launch. Everyone was getting RROD's shortly after launch. PS3 might have had some fuck ups at launch, but so did the 360.

Rabbit
06-18-2013, 01:32 AM
There's some 360 games i've liked a lot. I'm not like you. I played Mass Effect on 360 when it was an exclusive, and Shadow Complex is one of my favorite games.

Your allegiance to the Xbox is kind of insane. Are you ten?

How do you know what i'm like? And what allegiance are you talking about? i'm just going by what i have read and heard from some serious high end developers. People are going off the deep end with E3 and I'm just saying I am putting my cards on the other side. That's all i'm doing here.

If i were "ten" i would be crying about all the things people are crying about from E3. "ten" year olds need to realize the market is changing, gaming is changing, it's behind other industries in terms of how content is delivered, shared, priced, etc. What Microsoft is doing is not new to other segments of the tech industry.

If i were "ten" i would still be hoping that i can buy used games all the time for dirt cheap while stiffing the actual developers. If I were "ten" i'd never had stopped complaining how closed the 360 was compared to the xbox 1 where i could hack games and never buy a single piece of content, meanwhile going online and ruining the experience for a majority of other gamers that actually spend money on their games.

Come on. You have to try and be better than this.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that the 360 didn't cruise at launch. Everyone was getting RROD's shortly after launch. PS3 might have had some fuck ups at launch, but so did the 360.

No doubt.