PDA

View Full Version : Citizenfour documentary about Edward Snowden by Laura Poitras

slurfius
02-10-2015, 02:10 PM
The entire soundtrack of this movie is composed of pieces of NIN Ghosts I-IV. I have a hunch Trent is really happy about that.

DigitalChaos
02-10-2015, 05:15 PM
I posted that in NIN Spotting because I figured Trent wasn't directly involved with it. But I would be curious to hear his (or anyone with the group's) opinion on it.

Jinsai
02-11-2015, 10:46 AM
I'd be curious too... it's kind of an unfortunate side effect of the creative commons license on Ghosts though... you're starting to see this material get used everywhere, and many times I don't think it's because it necessarily really fits, but because it's more like "hey, we don't have to pay for a soundtrack."

sheepdean
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM
I'd be curious too... it's kind of an unfortunate side effect of the creative commons license on Ghosts though... you're starting to see this material get used everywhere, and many times I don't think it's because it necessarily really fits, but because it's more like "hey, we don't have to pay for a soundtrack."
They do have to pay if they make profit from it - student films get it for free, professional documentaries don't.

eversonpoe
02-11-2015, 02:25 PM

They do have to pay if they make profit from it - student films get it for free, professional documentaries don't.

yeah, that's why i publish all of my stuff as Creative Commons, Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-Alike.

DigitalChaos
02-13-2015, 02:58 PM
woooo KONY2012!!!

slurfius
02-16-2015, 10:18 AM
While I certainly hope they are paying something for the soundtrack as it is a commercial release albeit a limited one. I thought it was a good fit and helped to build the tension of the film. Edward Snowden might be the best example of a government employee biting the hand that feeds in my lifetime. That is more what I was referring to.