PDA

View Full Version : The Parenting Thread

bgalbraith
01-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Even Trent has kids now. Share experiences or ask questions of fellow parents.

Also, I'll leave this here:

http://phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd022013s.gif

bgalbraith
01-15-2015, 10:01 AM
I'm not all together unconvinced that becoming a parent induces Stockholm Syndrome. That said, having children is the best. For all the things you give up you get some pretty great things in return. I have (at the time of writing) an almost 3-year old son and 1-year old daughter.

aggroculture
01-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Dunno if these threads overlap: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3608-Family-and-Kids-The-Thread

Ryan
01-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Oops I didn't know you made this one and bumped the other one. Which should we make as the main one?

aggroculture
01-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Mine is more inclusive in that it's also for people to talk about other family members not just kids
It's also older and more populated /pulling rank:)

Ryan
01-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Even Trent has kids now. Share experiences or ask questions of fellow parents.

Also, I'll leave this here:

http://phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd022013s.gif

At 5 months, my daughter Jolie has brought nothing but joy! Literally the most perfect baby.

For example, at night, she can be as awake as awake can be. All I need to do is put her in a swaddle, she giggles, I put her in her cot and turn on her little rotating dial above that plays the tune of a nursery rhyme, turn out the lights and leave a mini jellyfish on that spins, rotates, lights up and changes colours, and she literally falls asleep within 2 to 3 minutes. Never a single hassle and sleeps through the whole night, waking up at about 8am ready to be fed. Compared to me as a child, as my folks tell me, we have it extremely lucky with Jolie.

In public she rarely cries and is always smiling. I'm bragging now... :-)

She just had her second lot of immunisations and handled it incredibly well.

aggroculture
01-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Sometimes I don't understand people online.

Anyway, can mods perhaps merge these two threads? (I don't know how to call mods to action - sorry if I am doing it wrong)

Or do we want to keep them separate and have a "family and kids" thread and a "parenting" thread? I seem to recall a mod recently saying that threads should be allowed to rise and fall of their own accord.

Ryan
01-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Sometimes I don't understand people online.

Anyway, can mods perhaps merge these two threads? (I don't know how to call mods to action - sorry if I am doing it wrong)

Or do we want to keep them separate and have a "family and kids" thread and a "parenting" thread? I seem to recall a mod recently saying that threads should be allowed to rise and fall of their own accord.

What don't you understand about people online in this case?

If there is a problem they can be merged, problem solved in a second. What are you on about?

aggroculture
01-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Nothing, I'm just being petty and overly sensitive. I'll stop now.

That's interesting though, I think agree with the graph: I find there's a ton of aggravation that comes with parenting, but the joy makes it all worth it.

Ryan
01-16-2015, 12:49 AM
Nothing, I'm just being petty and overly sensitive. I'll stop now.

That's interesting though, I think agree with the graph: I find there's a ton of aggravation that comes with parenting, but the joy makes it all worth it.

It surely does. Coming from someone who adamantly told their parents they would never have grand kids and that I would never get married to this... I wouldn't have it any other way!

"Don't knock it til you try it."

Dra508
01-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Literally the most perfect baby.
You know they say that girls are a joy as baby and hell as teens. Boys are the opposite. You know they being the entire world of old wives. ;)

DigitalChaos
01-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Kids also normalize a lot of things. They are kind of like bootcamp for life. All the things that used to be difficult to handle at work or in personal life are so trivial in comparison now. I actually think being heavily involved in the first year of caring for a newborn has made me quite a bit better at handling drama and firedrills at my work.

Dra508
01-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Kids also normalize a lot of things. They are kind of like bootcamp for life. All the things that used to be difficult to handle at work or in personal life are so trivial in comparison now. I actually think being heavily involved in the first year of caring for a newborn has made me quite a bit better at handling drama and firedrills at my work.
That's called not sweating the small stuff. Kids level set you as to what's really important to freak out on and what isn't. Namaste.

DigitalChaos
01-16-2015, 02:16 PM
That's called not sweating the small stuff. Kids level set you as to what's really important to freak out on and what isn't. Namaste.
Yup! Though, "small" is all relative to one's experience in life. Prior to kids, those things were the biggest I had experienced. And when you really think about it, how crazy is it that raising kids is one of the more difficult things in modern life for many people? Life is pretty good if that's the case...

Ryan
01-16-2015, 05:37 PM

Precisely.
@DigitalChaos (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=598) - I agree completely. Your whole world of concerns are instantaneously shifted into your son or daughter. It's a great counteraction to anxiety if you have it like I do, which is much better now.

Ryan
01-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Omg she said "Dada," her first word today! And I recorded it on video!

bgalbraith
01-17-2015, 01:25 PM
My daughter just learned to say 'no' and pretty much responds with that to any question posed to her now. It's adorable (for now ;))

halloween
01-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Working in child care with 2 year olds has allowed me to see hints into what parenting can be like. Honestly, I found myself feeling that one day I wouldn't want to be paid to act this way and get to do with for real with my own child. Although the only time I'm going to be put in a room with 17 toddlers and 5 of them screaming and crying for 7 hours, is if I'M PAID FOR IT. The tips I get is incredible and I feel those parents truly respect me for what I'm putting up with.

Lew
01-26-2015, 10:01 AM
caregiving. does that fit here?
we have a friend of the family living with us. multiple health concerns. amputation.
love this man, and his attitude toward life, but just reeling right now because his stump is fully healed and he is ready for his prosthetic and rehab, and his other leg is starting. looks like he is going to lose the big toe...which is how the last amputation progressed.
so i am crying upstairs, i can't face his courage with tears.
oh this is ridiculous.

bgalbraith
02-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Today I was momentarily surprised to find I didn't have to take a wall socket protector out to plug in my phone.. in my office.

sweeterthan
02-25-2015, 12:26 PM
I have two children: 8 months and two years old. They're sharing a room and they wake each other up all the time. My husband has insisted that the two year old goes to preschool. So we've been sick every other week since September. I really miss sleeping 8 hours consecutively. Zzzzz

Ryan
03-18-2015, 07:08 PM
My 7 month old daughter keeps saying dadada all the time and my fiancé keeps getting her to try and say mama but she won't do it. Every time it happens I'm reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl8TiKkVrcs

Melancholygrl78
04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
As a teacher who has worked with Pre-K all the way up to seniors, this is what I have found to be so true.

"Students who are loved at home come to school to learn, and students who aren't, come to school to be loved." ~Nicholas A. Ferroni

I wish I had big enough arms to hug them all, loud enough whisper to encourage them all, and enough of a perception and intuition to distinguish who is who. It is obvious in the classroom but there are so many here that I have not had the privilege to talk to yet. I already knew this and through the day it is easy to lose sight of. I feel sad now. :(