PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to gaming

Ryan
01-10-2015, 06:02 PM
So, in many ways in our relationship, my fiancée is the man and I am the woman. In this particular case it's with video games. I used to be an avid gamer as a kid (Master System, Mega Drive II and N64), but after the N64 I kind of fell off the radar and stopped gaming, apart from replaying the older ones I had and loved like Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Streets of Rage, etc.

Anyway, all these years later, the mother of my child is an avid gamer and finally has drawn me back into it! We have a PS3 and recently bought Injustice (I've been kicking her ass; getting my knack back, but she's been having her revenge on me recently), Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9 and I just preordered Mortal Kombat X yesterday (can't wait for that, as I grew up on Mortal Kombat on the Mega Drive in the 90s and just made a seperate thread about it in this section here (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3665-Mortal-Kombat-X)).

Anyway, the purpose of this thread (apart from giving some background on my gaming history) is to ask what games would you recommend we get next? We also have Grand Theft Auto 5 and a few others.

Space Suicide
01-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Well the easiest question to ask you is: what genre?

Ryan
01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Well the easiest question to ask you is: what genre?

We just agreed that the more violent the better, haha. Fighting or first person shooters are welcome.

Space Suicide
01-10-2015, 06:21 PM
We just agreed that the more violent the better, haha. Fighting or first person shooters are welcome.

Well considering you only have playstation you're halved by choices. However I'd say:

Dead Space series (favorite horror series from 7th gen)
Mass Effect series (sci-fi third person shooter RPG)
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Killzone series
Resistance series
Uncharted series (excellent third person platformer/shooter)
Max Payne 3

Hmmm, all that's coming to mind you can do on PS3 for the moment.

Ryan
01-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Well considering you only have playstation you're halved by choices. However I'd say:

Dead Space series (favorite horror series from 7th gen)
Mass Effect series (sic-fi third person shooter RPG)
Killzone series
Resistance series
Uncharted series (excellent third person platformer/shooter)
Max Payne 3

Hmmm, all that's coming to mind you can do on PS3 for the moment.

Thanks for that. We will probably upgrade to a newer system soon since she's gotten me addicted...

Space Suicide
01-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks for that. We will probably upgrade to a newer system soon since she's gotten me addicted...

I'd suggest it if you're inclined to but if you want a huge catalog I'd say just stick with PS3 and buy an Xbox 360: best of both worlds.

Vertigo
01-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Or a PC. Hard to beat a multi-decade back catalogue, and it's the best platform for shooters.

Wretchedest
01-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I would disagree that you're hurting for choices.

The Last of Us
Ni No Kuni

Both great exclusives. I'd say Mass Effect and Bioshock are the two defining series of the previous generation. If you have a playstation Infamous 1 and 2 also introduce a cool concept that gained some steam recently. Dead Space, just the first one.

Lots of cool indie games too, Journey, Hotline Miami, Braid, Mark of the Ninja, the Walking Dead, on pc or tablet theres FTL.

green
01-10-2015, 08:46 PM
^ Yeah, BioShock is an amazing game, with one of the best story lines ever. Andrew Ryan.. what a guy!

thelastdisciple
01-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Retro City Rampage, a must if you love 80s/90s gaming and movie pop culture.

It's basically Grand Theft Auto if it were made for the NES plus tons of the gaming tropes and style from that era. So good.

liquidcalm
01-11-2015, 03:22 AM
You say you like fighting games yet no-one has mentioned Street Fighter 4 in any of its incarnations? For shame! SF4 is well worth picking up. Not that I'm a huge fighting fan, but tis good. If you are into the classics, the Street Fighter 2 HD remaster is also worth a look.

If you are into more old school style gaming, there are plenty of arcade shooters etc on the online stores: Geometry Wars 3, Super StarDust HD, Dead Nation spring to mind.

Theres also lots of other indies titles, personally I think every PS3 should have Shatter installed by default.

Ryan
01-11-2015, 06:24 AM

The Last of Us
Ni No Kuni

Both great exclusives. I'd say Mass Effect and Bioshock are the two defining series of the previous generation. If you have a playstation Infamous 1 and 2 also introduce a cool concept that gained some steam recently. Dead Space, just the first one.

Lots of cool indie games too, Journey, Hotline Miami, Braid, Mark of the Ninja, the Walking Dead, on pc or tablet theres FTL.

Good to know we aren't hurting for choices!

green
01-11-2015, 07:33 AM
Check this out Ryan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnpbT5sS3I

Millionaire
01-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Get Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Flush a couple years of your life down the toilet. Best on PC, though.

For straight-up action, Vanquish is one of the best I've played.

Space Suicide
01-11-2015, 10:14 AM

The Last of Us
Ni No Kuni

I just meant his exclusive game selections are halved. Having both consoles opens doors to both console's exclusives and more games to play. everyone wants that. :p

Sallos
01-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Get Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Flush a couple years of your life down the toilet. Best on PC, though.

For straight-up action, Vanquish is one of the best I've played.

Skip Fallout 3 and go straight to New Vegas, if you're an original Fallout fan.
And while we're at it fuck Bethesda.

Space Suicide
01-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Ryan Heads up, PSN is running a 20th anniversary sale right now with crazy deals and there is a total of 92 games on sale from PSX, PS2 and PS3. Get on it.

green
01-13-2015, 11:42 PM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) Heads up, PSN is running a 20th anniversary sale right now with crazy deals and there is a total of 92 games on sale from PSX, PS2 and PS3. Get on it.
Speaking of 20th, how cool is that console? Doesn't match anything in my game room, but still.