PDA

View Full Version : The Dillinger Escape Plan (Kill posers)

Pages : [1] 2 3

keysersoze
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
They just finished a tour with Mastodon and are going to start working on a new album (top Option Paralisys?...mmm)

What else can I say about this incredible/crazy band?
Every album is a different BEAST.
If by any chance you haven't listen to them...DO IT
It'll be better than to post a wikibio.

The Dillinger Escape Plan ruined all the other bands for me.

bobbie solo
12-07-2011, 01:49 AM
i LOVE seeing this band with people who have never seen them before.

Space Suicide
12-07-2011, 06:07 AM
I just listened to Miss Machine yesterday, contemplated about making this thread and didn't. You beat me to it and did instead.

keysersoze
12-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Funny, I was just listening to Miss MAchine

I love the part in Sunshine...were Greg screams..DESTROYER!!!!
Incredible band.
So much in every album, sometimes too much.

I agree with what was posted before, people don't know what the fuck happened when the saw/listened to DEP

Piko
12-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Amazing band! Option Paralysis might have actually became my favorite since it's release.

Rossva
12-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Huge DEP fan ever since i first discovered em when they first supported System of a Down - can't remember when that was - long time ago now, 2002-ish?

Probably second favourite band of all time; cool guys as well.

the duder
04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
DEP and NIN are tied in a dead heat for my favorite band of all time. Been a fan since a hallmate introduced me to them my freshman year in 2001. I've seen them 5 times now and have got to say they are the best live act I've ever seen, second to NIN (of course), M83 and Mastodon.

Anyway, anyone seen/heard guitarist Jeff Tuttle's side project, Old Gods? He fronts the band, and I really dig it. According to his FB page, I think they are releasing an official EP or LP shortly. Check it out here (http://oldgods.bandcamp.com/).

Very excited to hear Greg's collaborations as well as Ben's with Giraffe Tongue Orchestra (which is comprised of Ben, Brett Hinds of Mastodon, Eric Avery bass, duh, and Thomas Pridgen formerly of the Mars Volta on drums).

aggroculture
04-24-2012, 02:40 PM
DEP are pretty awesome, but they've yet to match or better Miss Machine.

And while you're at it you can edit that thread title: DEP deserve better than that.

Gray Grimez
04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Hmmm hard to tell whether i prefer option paralysis or miss machine, listened to the latter much more, but the first sounds better when i listen to it now.

also.

DESTROYER, THERE'LL BE ANOTHER JUST LIKE YOU!

mfte
04-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Ire Works reminds me of With Teeth... when i first heard it i thought "what the hell happened to this band. this isnt that great" luckily Option Paralysis (much like Year Zero) followed and restored my faith.

Good NEighbour is one hell of a Jam and that one song near the end that has the Guns n Roses Piano breakdown is delicious.

I do miss them doing covers and realy Dillingerfying them.

Check out their renditions of GunsnRoses My Michelle and Black Sabbath's Paranoid. Theyre gems.

Funny story... The first time I saw them live was betwen Irony is a dead scene and Miss Machine at the Opera House in Toronto. Greg was going nuts climbing shit and jumping into the audience. There was a huge pit and people were loosing their minds. I was standing back drinking a beer and watching everything. There was a guy in front of me arms crossed that really seemed to be getting excited by the whole scene. He caught my attention because for about 15 minutes he looked like he was trying to contain a culdron of emotion, hugging himself, rocking back and forth, eyes darting all over.... So half way into the set he finally gets the stones to run full speed into the pit. He charged in there like he was braveheart of something. Within 10 seconds i see a shoe launch out out of the audience and fly from one side of the venue to the other. Another 10 seconds later I see the same guy limp out of the pit with one shoe on, go back to his original place infont of me, arms crossed watching the show.

someone should post the video of greg running on top of the audience at the begining of sugar coated sour. That clip pretty much sums up that band.

keysersoze
08-17-2012, 09:41 AM
From the DEP Facebook:

"Jeff Tuttle has been a valuable member of The Dillinger Escape Plan since the beginning of the Ire Works cycle. He started his time with us in mid 2006 in a period of turmoil, and his positivity and team player mentality, his enthusiasm, and his fire onstage, will always be appreciated and will never be forgotten. That being said, for now, as you will read, his future with us is uncertain, but wha... tever the future holds for our relationship with him, we love him and wish him well and success as a brother who has gone into battle with us for six years, and we hope he enjoys and finds creative fulfillment in film school and his future endeavors. Check out his other bands, and read his official statement below.

-The Dillinger Escape Plan"

"To the fans of Dillinger, and to the multitude of people I’ve met, kicked, guitar-smashed, face riffed, or otherwise touched, I’m writing this to formally announce that as of today I will be taking my departure from The Dillinger Escape Plan. The years I’ve spent with this band have been some of the greatest in my life. I’ve seen and done so many things I never thought possible and I will forever be grateful to these memories and to the band that made them possible. I’d like to thank everyone who has given me support and encouragement along the way and to express all the gratitude that fills my bones. Dillinger is a beast that cannot be contained and I have no doubts that the band will continue on the road of destruction. I wish them nothing but the best in the years to come.
Music is in my blood and I will continue making it with Old Gods and my solo effort, Malo Konjche. I will also be taking the opportunity to study film and film production in the fall; something I’ve been deeply passionate about for many years.
Life may lead me back to the Dillinger fold in the future, but for now I’ve decided to pursue these creative paths. The past six years have been amazing and I’m lucky to have made it out alive. I’ll never forget the time we shared on stage… the scars won’t let me.

-Jeff "

aggroculture
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
DEP is Ben Weinman, with Greg Puciato. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

ManOfAtom
08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
yeah, jeff never played on the records did he? i mean, ace live and that, but it shouldn't make any real difference to the tunes.

eversonpoe
08-17-2012, 07:02 PM
do they still have that really young drummer that joined the band for option paralysis? he was fucking amazing live, too.

keysersoze
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Great song I love Ire Works...(it doesn't look like rehersal at all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7slo5Hcs4M

fortheloveofgod
02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN will release One of Us is the Killer in May.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/Philsuperhero/dep_cover_01_zps5d697a9a.jpg

The trailblazing band, whose creative energy and unwavering artistic commitment has reverberated through underground subculture and in tastemaker circles alike since the late 1990s, return with renewed passion and unrivaled skill with their fifth full-length album.

One of Us is the Killer is set to be released through the band's own Party Smasher Inc., in partnership with Sumerian Records (Animals As Leaders, The Faceless, Periphery) in North America. Party Smasher's partnership with BMG covers the rest of the world, including licensing deals with Grind House (Helmet, Cancer Bats, Funeral For A Friend) for Japan and Remote Control (Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, MIA) in Australia.

The new Dillinger Escape Plan album was recorded in Southern California with longtime producer Steve Evetts (Glassjaw, The Cure, Suicide Silence), with additional production at guitarist/co-founder Ben Weinman's studio. Mastering will be handled by Tom Baker (Deftones, Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys).

The album represents a new holistic pinnacle of the band's constantly evolving and engaging dynamics. The band will launch worldwide tours in 2013, beginning with a handful of headlining dates that have just been released.

Dillinger's mind-bending meld of metal, rock, experimental ambience and melody first reared its head with a 6 track EP on hardcore indie Now Or Never Records, quickly followed by Under the Running Board on Relapse. The band earned a reputation as a fearless act on the live stage, committing their minds, bodies and spirits to the exhibition and visceral release of performance and often brutalizing stages, gear and themselves along the way. Calculating Infinity became the gold standard for the emerging "math-core"/"math-metal" movement, earning a place in author Martin Popoff's "Top 500 Heavy Metal Albums of All Time." Kerrang! included the album in the "100 Best Rock Albums of All Time" and presented the band with their Spirit of Independence Award.

Mike Patton invited the band out on tour with Mr. Bungle, which eventually resulted in the collaborative EP on Epitaph Records, Irony is a Dead Scene. Miss Machine blew the doors open further, cementing the band's legacy around the world with jaw-dropping performances at festivals and all over the road. It also began the creative partnership between Weinman (one of Spin Magazine's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time, AP's 10 Best Guitar Slingers and Guitar World's Top 25 Cult Guitarists) and vocalist Greg Puciato, whose uncompromising stage presence and versatile vocal ability knows no boundaries. Revolver Magazine included him on their list of the Greatest Metal Frontmen Of All Time.

Ire Works saw the band making their national television debut on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, as well as multiple international tours, which included a stop at the Soundwave Festival where Nine Inch Nails invited them on-stage to perform "Wish." The band's collaborative nature persists, with members of Dillinger collaborating both on-stage and off with members of System Of A Down, Mastodon, Jane's Addiction, Deftones, Kimbra, Wyclef Jean, Puscifer, Mars Volta and Devin Townsend, among others, in addition to Weinman's work scoring films and more.

Option Paralysis was the first official release through Party Smasher Inc., with distribution through Season Of Mist. Revolver Magazine awarded them a Golden Gods award as "Best Underground Band," even as VH1's Metal Evolution declared them "the world's most dangerous band."

One of Us is the Killer finds Weinman, Puciato, longtime bassist Liam Wilson and drummer Billy Rymer in top form, emphasizing Dillinger Escape Plan's fierce independence, staunch individualism and loyalty to their unique vision which has long followed them on-stage and off.

This new era in The Dillinger Escape Plan begins now. In the coming weeks, look for more information surrounding the album and tours. Party Smasher Inc. will be home to innovative releases from Dillinger, associated projects and other band curated work in the coming years.

Upcoming The Dillinger Escape Plan Live Appearances:

April 20 Worcester, MA @ Palladium - New England Metal & Hardcore Festival w/ Opeth, etc.
April 26 Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
April 27 Brooklyn, NY @ TBA
May 2 Los Angeles, CA @ Nokia Live - Golden Gods Awards w/ Metallica, Anthrax, etc.
May 8 Chicago @ Reggies
May 19 San Francisco @ DNA Lounge
May 20 Anaheim @ Chain Reaction
July 5 Roskilde (Denmark) w/ Sigor Ros, Animal Collective, etc.
July 6 Metaltown (Sweden) w/ Slipknot, Motorhead, Clutch, etc.

Space Suicide
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I just seen this on Facebook and was about to post. Finally! It's been too long since Option Paralysis.

keysersoze
02-19-2013, 05:47 AM
Oh Fucking YES!...can't wait.
(May is too long)

fortheloveofgod
02-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Hoping for a single something March or April. Love the art work

dlb
02-19-2013, 07:42 AM
I really need to see these guys live this year. Couldn't catch a single OP show so if the album is any good it will be a blast for me! I like the artwork, too. Plain, simple and leading away from the madness that is lying beneath. :)

fortheloveofgod
02-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Been three long years since seeing these guys live. Can wait for tour dates.

the duder
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
First run of tour dates = announced.
4/20/2013 Worcester, MA - New England Metal Fest
4/22/2013 Lancaster, PA - Chameleon Club
4/23/2013 Albany, NY - Upstate Concert Hall
4/24/2013 Buffalo NY - Town Ballroom
4/25/2013 Pittsburgh, PA - Altar Bar
4/26/2013 Philadelphia PA - Union Transfer
4/27/2013 Brooklyn, NY - Converse Rubber Tracks @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
4/28/2013 New Haven, CT - Toads Place
4/30/2013 Columbus, OH - A&R Bar
5/2/2013 Los Angeles CA - GOLDEN GODS/NOKIA THEATER
5/4/2013 Newport, KY - Southgate House
5/5/2013 Grand Rapids, MI - The Intersection
5/7/2013 Indianapolis, IN - Emerson Theater
5/8/201 Chicago, IL - Reggies
5/9/2013 Des Moines, IA - Wooly's
5/10/2013 Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
5/11/2013 St. Louis, MO - The Firebird
5/12/2013 Lawrence, KS - The Granada
5/14/2013 Boulder, CO - Fox Theatre
5/16/2013 Boise, ID - Knitting Factory
5/17/2013 Reno, NV - Knitting Factory
5/18/2013 Sacramento, CA - Ace of Spades
5/19/2013 San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
5/20/2013 Anaheim, CA - Chain Reaction
5/22/2013 Albuquerque, NM - Launch Pad
5/23/2013 El Paso, TX - Tricky Falls
5/24/2013 Austin, TX - Mohawk
5/25/2013 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jacks
5/26/2013 Birmingham, AL - Zydeco
5/28/2013 Columbia, SC - New Brookland Tavern
5/29/2013 Charlotte, NC - Amos' South End
5/30/2013 Carrboro NC - Cat's Cradle
5/31/2013 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
6/1/2013 Richmond, VA - Kingdom
6/8/2013 Detroit, MI - Orion Festival
6/30/2013 Dessel, Belgium - Graspop
7/5/2013 Roskilde, Denmark - Roskilde Festival
7/6/2013 Gothenburg, Sweden - Metaltown Festival

Also, for those of you who have never experienced a DEP show, here's Greg (vox/jungle gym) on why you should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvlBNNVByH0

thefragile_jake
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Oh my god, they're playing the Firebird in St. Louis. That club is pretty small, it's going to be fuckin' crazy.

Clownboat
02-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Seeing them twice in one month. Don't let me complain much about the broken leg I'm sure I'll be getting. :)

eversonpoe
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
new single up on iTunes called "prancer"

Sutekh
03-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I didn't like this band when I heard them in 2002, but I'm a moron now so God knows how shit my judgement was back then - where is the best place to start with this lot?

Space Suicide
03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
I didn't like this band when I heard them in 2002, but I'm a moron now so God knows how shit my judgement was back then - where is the best place to start with this lot?

Miss Machine, Greg Puciato's first album is a good place to start.

I personally feel you could also try Ire Works out for your first go. I love that freaking album.

eversonpoe
03-11-2013, 05:16 PM

it really depends on what else you like. i, personally, love the EP they did with Mike Patton, Irony Is A Dead Scene. it's got three amazing originals and a cover of Come To Daddy that almost shames the original.

the first album they put out after that (with their new and still in-the-band-now vocalist Greg Puciato), Miss Machine, is relatively accessible compared to the rest of their stuff, and actually has one or two songs that sound a lot like nods to NIN.

so i'd say check out Miss Machine first, then the EP with Mike Patton, and then Ire Works, Option Paralysis, and then go for their first album, Calculating Infinity. i don't really like Dimitri, their original vocalist (especially in comparison to Greg), but some of their early stuff is still pretty great.

also, if you get a chance to see them live (they're about to go on a huge tour), see them. they're amazing. the last time i saw them, their new drummer, Billy Rymer, was only 17, and my head almost exploded from how good he is.

Space Suicide
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
new single up on iTunes called "prancer"

Tomorrow or today? I just checked and shit can't be found.

Clownboat
03-11-2013, 06:56 PM
It'll be up tomorrow but here's a radio rip: Dillinger Escape plan - Prancer soundcloud.comPrancer - The Dillinger Escape Plan One Of Us Is The Killer (2013) No copyright infringement intended, just want everyone to experience this. (https://soundcloud.com/leemann123/dillinger-escape-plan-prancer)

Space Suicide
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
It'll be up tomorrow but here's a radio rip: Dillinger Escape plan - Prancer soundcloud.comPrancer - The Dillinger Escape Plan One Of Us Is The Killer (2013) No copyright infringement intended, just want everyone to experience this. (https://soundcloud.com/leemann123/dillinger-escape-plan-prancer)

Thanks and fucking hell I love this song.

eversonpoe
03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
just listening to the sample on iTunes at the moment. pretty fucking awesome.

it's amazing how often they can use similar sounding little breakdowns and i NEVER get sick of them. seriously. i love this band.

Clownboat
03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Full track w/ lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vPMKObsjA&feature=player_embedded

This is fucking good. Holy crap, they blew it out of the stadium with this track.

dlb
03-12-2013, 02:24 PM
I like it, but it reminds me too much of 43% burnt though. And I guess this one is not the new single but rather a promo piece?

mfte
03-12-2013, 03:21 PM
awesome song. sounds like something from option paralysis. I read that with this album they really spent effort writing each part instead of "letting the songs write themselves" which im looking forward to.

Space Suicide
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I love this new song. I just downloaded it from iTunes.

50 Volt Phantom
03-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest, I'm sure the album will be good overall though.

fortheloveofgod
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I feel same way. No doubt the album will be awesome as a whole. Feel like bands are purposely not putting out there best songs as single now a days.

richardp
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm really digging that 2XLP set, that looks as if one disc is tan with black splatters and the other either white or clear with black splatters. Wish they let you preorder JUST the vinyl. I could care less about getting a poster with it.

the duder
03-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Pretty awesome statement on their Facebook page regarding "BAND BATTLES":
"Hey everyone. So it seems there are a lot of these things going on, and now we are unwittingly part of one. You know, these band "contests" where they put one band against another in some sort of "cage match" as if musical expression is an olympic sport? Well yeah. We don't really care about "beating" other bands and saying HEY OUR ART IS BETTER THAN YOURS! WE NEED EGO VALIDATION! VOTE FOR US IN THIS POLL! So in order to keep us from advancing to another "round" or just to help us to make a statement against reducing art to sport just for the sake of driving web traffic...can you please go vote AGAINST us in this poll, to make sure we lose? Thanks.

http://loudwire.com/as-i-lay-dying-vs-the-dillinger-escape-plan-death-match/"

Pretty rad.

dlb
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Only 2 German dates so far, I sincerely hope they will add a few more since Düsseldorf and Hannover are not exactly the places I imagine the where the place to be is actually at. :P

Oh, and slowly but steadily I'm enjoying the new track more and more, while I still hope for the definite bomb to drop very soon!

the duder
03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Holy fuck. Is it May 14 yet?? This sounds amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNXFrH1PePY

*Edit:* Those cheeky bastards pulled the preview. Quick reaction: holy fuck.

More nuanced reaction: this sounds like the best bits of every album put together in the best possible way. That six minutes of madness was akin to the scene where Neo finally "saw" the Matrix; it all flowed through him and he was master of his domain. One of Us Is The Killer, although we were only given :30 second snippets, sounds perfect. There were no outliers. With past releases, each track sounded great but there were some "tough downshifts", so to speak, that disrupted the flow of the album. Tracks like Milk Lizard or Gold Teeth on a Bum, which I love on their own, kind of felt out of place. It was still Dillinger, but something didn't seem right. With this album, it all makes sense.

Space Suicide
03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Ugh too soon for a sampler that I am going to lust over.

Nirvana23
03-31-2013, 02:00 AM
The sampler has me even more fucking pumped for this album then Prancer did! Some of these snippets sound just fantastic!

Soma
04-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Got my vinyl pre-ordered, I can't wait to see that splatter in my hands! :D Kinda glad the sampler got taken down, now I just have to fight the urge when and if they post it again!

the duder
04-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Ordered the CD + Tank bundle. If all goes well, I'll get it when I get my license and car back...that being said, I feel that this will not be leaving my car's CD player for a long, LONG time.

Clownboat
04-23-2013, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeBFEanVsp4

"When I Lost My Bet"

Dude, this is some Calculating Infinity type shit. This is nuts.

richardp
04-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Shit is UNREAL how good this is.

dlb
04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
I think I like this, but the problem with DEP is that I have to be in the mood for them, which I am clearly not right now. I hope by the time the album comes out I am in the right mindset for this.

A concert on the other hand could pull me on their side in no time! :)

Space Suicide
04-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I need this album now please. I like the new track.

eversonpoe
04-23-2013, 04:18 PM
i think that was better than anything on calculating infinity, though it is a bit more in the style of that album than their more recent stuff.

also, that was simultaneously the most disgusting and beautiful music video i've possibly ever seen.

the duder
04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
I cannot wait to see these guys tomorrow night

**edit: holy shit was that show good! A few people with me on the rail were bummed the Faceless dropped off of the tour, but oh well. Royal Thunder was great...almost a Black Mountain vibe to em. Dillinger sounded as tight as I've ever heard them, which could be due to the fact this is just their fourth show of the tour. Greg came over to our group on almost every song and planted the mic in our faces numerous times. Also, the new songs are incredible live. Opened with Prancer and put When I Lost My Bet (which was SICK) about 2/3 into the set.

Clownboat
04-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Nice! I'm catching them on the 10th in Madison. I can't wait.

I've listened to When I Lost My Bet at least eight times today. I don't watch the video since it detracts from the music so much—I simply play the music in the background. I can't get over how good it is, I think it's some of their best work yet.

the duder
04-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Fuck yeah. Both Prancer and WILMB are light years beyond anything off of Option Paralysis, but sound like they'd fit on Calculating.

That being said, from the teaser, I was not expecting WILMB to sound like it does. Makes me even more excited to hear the rest of the album. I feel Crossburner is going to explode heads.

the duder
04-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Two new tracks (http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/04/30/nothings-funny-to-the-dillinger-escape-plan/) - One of Us is the Killer and Nothing's Funny.
Really feeling the groove of the title track; Greg's range has always been unreal and holy shit does this track showcase it. Nothing's Funny - preceded by a great interview with Ben and Greg - is about as mainstream as they've gone but has bits and bobs of distinct DEP throughout. The breakdown + chorus with falsetto + tinkling piano = fucking win.

theSplinter04
04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm hoping the title track is the worst song on the album

Reznor2112
05-01-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm hoping the title track is the worst song on the album

I actually dig the title track...nice little change of pace

kel
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
got free tix to the boise show. i find them confusing and (mostly) unlistenable, but i'm hoping the live show will change my mind.

the duder
05-03-2013, 07:53 AM
chump: I am excited to hear your take after seeing them live.

Here's some great tweets (http://storify.com/sbiernacki/people-complaining-about-the-dillinger-escape-plan#publicize)after their performance at Golden Gods last night. Fucking priceless.

*Edit: silly formatting put the video in the middle of that sentence. Here's video of last night's show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtqlklZowyc

eversonpoe
05-03-2013, 08:14 AM
got free tix to the boise show. i find them confusing and (mostly) unlistenable, but i'm hoping the live show will change my mind.

that's how i felt when my guitar teacher first showed me them at the age of 14. two weeks later, i was hooked.

Space Suicide
05-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Pretty good performance but Greg needs a haircut. I'm not digging whatever he's going for with his hair.

LOL facepalmed.

Clownboat
05-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Who cares what the band looks like? This ain't the NIN section bro

Space Suicide
05-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Who cares what the band looks like? This ain't the NIN section bro

Well no shit but still, I'm just used to seeing him with extremely short, if even there, hair.

Reznor2112
05-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Better quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VUI0AHPRM&feature=youtu.be

Greg FUCKED his head up on that bass drum... haha

Piko
05-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Better quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VUI0AHPRM&feature=youtu.be

Greg FUCKED his head up on that bass drum... haha

Behind The Wheel with Chino was amazing. Good stuff. Greg's a champ after fucking the back of his head up.

Nirvana23
05-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Saw them perform last night at the Southgate House in Newport,Ky and it was fantastic, absolutely brutal. Lost my glasses in the first 30 seconds of them playing but worth every second of it. Also arrived at the right time as I was able to meet Greg outside the venue, was really cool and down to earth, great guy.

dlb
05-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Thought that performance was quite unwatchable although behind the wheel with Chino went incredibly well. Anyway, I just gave the album preview a listen and holy fuck: I am SO in the mood for this band, that record can't come out soon enough! This could be their best since Miss Machine IMHO.

And I really hope for a gig around here as I couldn't go last time and the time before was just nuts. One of the best concerts I've been to...

eversonpoe
05-06-2013, 08:28 AM
i don't think i've ever heard chino sing in such a low register...it's weird but i like it.

dlb
05-08-2013, 03:55 AM
drip drip drip ;)

Clownboat
05-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Just came over here to post that. God I love days where I wake up early.

Piko
05-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Been a few hours. No first impressions? Come on, guys! Help keep me at bay until I get home.

dlb
05-08-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm quite surprised that it is actually not following a calculating infinity path which is not a bad thing IMHO. the songs are catchier, but certainly not easy on the ears and personally I think this is Greg at his peak! The album pretty much incorporates everything they have done and as I imagined judging from the preview.

Clownboat
05-08-2013, 09:26 AM
It's really dense. There's a lot to chew on here.

First off, there's pretty much no filler! There aren't any super off-putting tracks for me—even the couple of mainstream tracks fit really well into the record. There aren't any long-winded build-up songs, no standout bullshit tracks... This is the opposite of Ire Works. On the other hand, it's fucking complex. We're talking Calculating Infinity meets "Room Full of Eyes" or something, and there's a constant forward momentum. The band doesn't really coddle you or comfort you or let you warm up to the tracks. There's a good bit of catchiness, but if you're not familiar with the band's stuff, you might wish there was a centerpiece song like "Widower" to cling to (there's not). They throw some curveballs at you, but they aren't entire tracks or anything.

Only kind of filler in there is "CH 375 268 277 ARS" which is literally the preview sample for about two and a half minutes. Not much to it.

I think the biggest takeaway for me is how clear everything is. Liam's bass has never been this audible, and it gives me a huge new appreciation for the rhythm section. Liam and Billy absolutely own this record. Even in the most chaotic moments, there's always a groovy, brawny lifeline to cling to. It's fucking deliciously good shit, man.

"Prancer" is a pretty good overall guide of what the album sounds like, really. Like I said, there's a lot to chew on.

I think they've perfected their formula here. It's their best album.

Reznor2112
05-08-2013, 09:49 AM
It is literally taking brute force to not download this. This will be the first album in years that I will wait for my preordered physical copy to come in

There is an exclusive version on BestBuy.com for $7.99 with 2 bonus tracks and an exclusive cover.

richardp
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah I think I'm going to wait for my LP to arrive to listen to it for the first time. Sounds like it's going to be a great album!

Space Suicide
05-08-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm going to keep it simple: this album is a destroyer. I love it already. Hard to top Option Paralysis and this might actually trump it.

Don't know why but I am in love with Hero of the Soviet Union.

dlb
05-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Clownboat is spot on! While it is catchy here and there, the album totally destroys ire works and even option pralysis and is their strongest effort since miss machine IMHO.

Only weak track: nothing's funny. The rest (especially the title track, when I lost my bet, crossburner and understanding decay) ist just perfect!

Merriweather
05-08-2013, 01:27 PM
It is literally taking brute force to not download this. This will be the first album in years that I will wait for my preordered physical copy to come in

There is an exclusive version on BestBuy.com for $7.99 with 2 bonus tracks and an exclusive cover.

I really hate the multiple versions for different retailers trend. I suppose they'll eventually do some kind of ultimate edition like they did for Option Paralysis.

Clownboat
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
I really hate the multiple versions for different retailers trend. I suppose they'll eventually do some kind of ultimate edition like they did for Option Paralysis.
Don't fret, one's a remix of the title track and the other is a demo of Nothing's Funny (iirc)

eversonpoe
05-08-2013, 02:05 PM
i have the crazy option paralysis box set and, while it's cool, the vinyl/CD combo disc is literally unplayable in any of the disc drives i own (i also bought the standard CD that's in packaging which is insanely difficult to fold back up properly), and the rest of the stuff in the box isn't really that cool...i don't wear beanies, i don't need a luggage tag, i don't really want to hang a DEP flag in my apartment, and i install TVs and other A/V equipment for a living, so i'm never going to use the thing that'll turn off any/every TV. the box itself is freakin' awesome, though.

i think i'm going to go with vinyl for the new album, even though i don't own any dillinger vinyl. i've just stopped wanting to buy CDs at all...

thevoid99
05-08-2013, 03:07 PM
At 192 kps bitrate.... no... I want higher quality.

eversonpoe
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
they finally have an option available (http://www.merchconnectioninc.com/collections/dillinger-1-escape-plan-sumerian-records-1/products/dillinger-escape-plan-one-of-us-is-the-killer-lp) that isn't a stupid bundle! and it's only $18 for just the double LP, $5 shipping, and $1 tax. pretty good deal.

the duder
05-10-2013, 05:34 PM
My tank + cd arrived today and, after one listen, I concur with Clownboat. This is one meaty mudder fugger - lots to digest, and it does seem to be all killer, no filler. There is really no time to catch your breath, except for maybe on the title track. Greg's performance on this is a huge standout, as is the rhythm section (as previously mentioned). I feel this album takes what I liked about a lot of their more accessible tracks (Milk Lizard, Good Neighbor, etc) and spreads it throughout the album vs. having that essence encapsulated in one song - if that makes ANY sense haha.

Gonna give it a few more spins over the weekend and see what more I can pull from this. As of first listen, it's hard to fault, and totally makes me re-think my adoration of Option Paralysis as my favorite DEP album.

fortheloveofgod
05-11-2013, 07:21 AM
....and I am hooked on Dillinger again. What a great album. All the best parts of previous songs for a new album. Production is great. Can hear all parts clearly.

Reznor2112
05-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Is there actual video of the Reading 2002 incident?

pigpen
05-11-2013, 07:00 PM
One of us... is my new favorite DEP record. it's sooo huge and just keeps my attention like nothing they've released before.

Magtig
05-12-2013, 03:41 PM
This album is so deliciously violent. I don't really give a fuck about metal or aggressive music anymore. It often comes off as people who like WoW and D&D trying look tough; not that there's anything wrong with those games, it just gives me a cheesy over-compensating vibe. This band and a couple others like Helms Alee are a few of the last holdouts, and it's because they don't make metal. They make art.

Kid Charlemagne
05-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Anybody looking for a high quality stream of it, Pitchfork's got you covered. My first impression is that I like this a lot more than OP which I thought was overrated to begin with. So fucking aggressive and so much heart on this.

Space Suicide
05-12-2013, 04:25 PM
So I think the title track, The Hero of the Soviet Union and Crossburner will be on my Summer soundtrack.

the duder
05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Understanding Decay, Paranoia Shields and Crossburner are my current top 3. Hero of the Soviet Union is right up there, too.

richardp
05-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Man, definitely their best since Miss Machine. This thing is a banger.

Nirvana23
05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
This album is fucking brutal! Absolutely brilliant.

mfte
05-15-2013, 08:36 AM
This is wonderful.

The production is so clear, you can really hear the bass grooving with the drums.

Since Miss Machine there has always been a song that I skip but this album does not have that song.

I bet Chris Pennie feels like a dumb ass.

eversonpoe
05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I bet Chris Pennie feels like a dumb ass.

didn't he leave the band to join Coheed & Cambria, and then later leave that band? what's he even doing now?

the duder
05-15-2013, 09:59 AM
From my understanding it was to join C&C, as well as creative tension/stress with Ben.

thevoid99
05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I've heard it a few days ago. Fuck, it's intense. That's a fucking great band.

mfte
05-15-2013, 03:06 PM
This person doesnt like it very much

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/499111-review-dillinger-escape-plan-one-of-us-is-the-killer

eversonpoe
05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
This person doesnt like it very much

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/499111-review-dillinger-escape-plan-one-of-us-is-the-killer

that whole review felt really lazy to me.

Space Suicide
05-15-2013, 06:20 PM
that whole review felt really lazy to me.

I'm all to hear and read negative reviews but this one is...questionable. Especially:

Most of my let down with One Of Us Is The Killer is how desperately random it sounds. “Understanding Decay” is standard DEP work with some annoying electronics shoehorned into it. “Paranoia Shields” flips back to DEP’s interpretation of Faith No More, while “Magic I Held You” is more general and directionless chaos. I love chaotic records but not when they exist without a point. “Magic I Held You” sounds like the band recorded their parts in different rooms, unable to hear what the other was doing. Great. You can play. Is there a song in there somewhere?

50 Volt Phantom
05-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Good album, right now I like it more than Ire Works and Option Paralysis, but I don't think it surpasses Miss Machine, and certainly not Calculating. That said, there's some very cool stuff on this album, some new textures and sounds, which is a welcome inclusion.

Presideo
05-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Not my favorite album from them, but it's still pretty great. 'Miss Machine' remains their opus, with 'Ire Works' and 'Option Paralysis' quietly adding some pop and arena rock elements to their formula. 'One of Us...' seems to highlight the best their previous works, while still retaining some originality - gotta respect a band willing to evolve their sound after every new release.

Can't wait to see them live in a couple weeks!

Piko
05-16-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm liking the new album. But, if I were to compare to Miss Machine and Option Paralysis, it wouldn't come close. It's a great album though. Just not their best.

Reznor2112
05-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Goddammit this album is too fucking good.

Crossburner is one epic motherfucker. That part at 1:53 when Greg sings "Turn your boat around you stowaway" with the pounding drums is fucking amazing.

Just the sole fact that they kept the sound of Greg throwing his headphones in the booth at the end of the song just paints a perfect picture of him recording the vocals for this song.

Favorite tracks:
Crossburner
One of Us is the Killer
Paranoid Shields (brutal fucking lyrics)
Nothing's Funny
Understanding Decay

Least favorite is Prancer by far. Never liked it when it was a single and just don't like how it fits into the record as a whole.

Granted, I do like Greg's more accessible vocals (my favorite songs are Farewell Mona Lisa, Black Bubblegum, Widower, Milk Lizard etc...) but this really is an amazing album and is tied with OP for me for best DEP album.

Merriweather
05-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I like the album a lot, but I do have to agree with the review posted earlier in the thread. There always seem to be songs on a DEP album that rely too much on noodling guitars and manic drum pounding. The stuff that's structured a bit more is better to me.

Miss Machine is still their best.

Reznor2112
05-25-2013, 12:09 PM
I can't stop listening to this album. Such good gym music.

Sad to see that they are only playing Prancer and When I Lost My Bet

They haven't debuted any of the new songs besides those.

Big Fat Matt
05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Haven't listened to the new album yet, but being a big fan of both Jeff Tuttle and Chris Pennie along with the music they've made (especially in the Detroit punk scene) im really surprised i didn't give DEP a listen earlier. Great stuff. Its like The Armed and Deftones had a fucked up baby. Love it.

imail724
05-26-2013, 04:46 PM
That title track. Hot damn!

ryanmcfly
05-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Crossburner is one of the best tracks I have heard in a very long time.

eversonpoe
05-30-2013, 03:27 PM
just got my vinyl in the mail...along with a second package with the vinyl & a CD...but i only actually got charged for the one vinyl. definitely confused...

anyway, if anyone wants a sealed copy of the vinyl, it's yours if you pay for the shipping.

edit: nevermind, i found the invoice in the box and it was supposed to go to some girl in new york, so i'll be sending it to her.

richardp
05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Solid motherfucker, you are.

keysersoze
05-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Strange thing that each DEP album comes in the perfect timming in my life
And this is no exception.
I needed this shit, my "DEP fix".
Funny how you can connect with some kind of music.
These guys keep me going.
The album is amazing, first album I've bought in 3 years.

eversonpoe
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
holy shit, the clarity/frequency range/dynamics on this vinyl are incredible. i mean, really.

also, it's a really, really good album. i think i might like it more than option paralysis (although widower is still my favourite song of theirs).

Presideo
05-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Saw them live the other day - they played in a small dive bar with horrible acoustics, but still managed to put together a lively performance! Strangely, only one or two songs from the new album made the setlist. Plenty of songs off Option Paralysis were played, though!

richardp
05-31-2013, 09:20 PM
holy shit, the clarity/frequency range/dynamics on this vinyl are incredible. i mean, really.

also, it's a really, really good album. i think i might like it more than option paralysis (although widower is still my favourite song of theirs).

Really? Mine sounds pretty shitty and completely muffled. I wasn't expecting it to sound great so I wasn't disappointed, but it's definitely not demo worthy material, in my opinion.

Space Suicide
05-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Can someone be as so kind to send a download to the remix of the title track? I've scoured ages for it and never have found it. I guess I should've bought the Best Buy version instead of going the Amazon.com route.

Merriweather
06-01-2013, 12:04 AM
The international iTunes stores also have an extended version of the title track as a bonus song.

eversonpoe
06-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Really? Mine sounds pretty shitty and completely muffled. I wasn't expecting it to sound great so I wasn't disappointed, but it's definitely not demo worthy material, in my opinion.

that's too bad...mine really, honestly, sounds fantastic. maybe you got a poorly pressed one?

richardp
06-01-2013, 06:44 PM
that's too bad...mine really, honestly, sounds fantastic. maybe you got a poorly pressed one?

Which version did you get? Did you get the silk-screened covered bunch? Maybe the ones with splatter weren't pressed as well as the solid ones?

eversonpoe
06-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Which version did you get? Did you get the silk-screened covered bunch? Maybe the ones with splatter weren't pressed as well as the solid ones?

mine is white with black splatter. :: shrug ::

imail724
06-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Is there anywhere to hear Greg's versions of 43% Burnt that landed him the job as lead vocalist?

theSplinter04
06-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Westboro Baptist Church comments on TDEP album (http://www.killyourstereo.com/news/17598/westboro-baptist-church-comments-on-tdep-album/)

mfte
06-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Is there anywhere to hear Greg's versions of 43% Burnt that landed him the job as lead vocalist?

Not that i have ever heard of. For a while the instrumental was floating around the internet.

Space Suicide
06-08-2013, 01:02 AM
This is very amusing, it is to me anyways. (http://www.metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/the-westboro-baptist-church-are-not-fans-of-the-dillinger-escape-plan-either)

Space Suicide
06-27-2013, 12:54 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/06/21/one-of-us-is-the-original/

Wha?

Reznor2112
07-07-2013, 08:57 AM
One of Us is the Killer (Official Music Video) fucking brilliant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FKM3eZTO8

Space Suicide
07-07-2013, 08:58 AM
This, I like.

eversonpoe
07-16-2013, 01:22 PM
well, i tried to contact the girl whose stuff they shipped me (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/366-The-Dillinger-Escape-Plan-(Kill-posers)?p=89128#post89128), as well as trying to contact the distributor, and i never heard back from either one of them, so i still have that extra copy of the album on sealed vinyl (i'm keeping the CD, at this point). anyone who wants the vinyl can have it for free (just shoot me a few bucks for shipping).

i was going to make you answer a trivia question but i can't think of any good ones...so tell me why you love Dillinger Escape Plan, and why you love vinyl. first person to give me a great answer gets it.

eversonpoe
07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
well, i tried to contact the girl whose stuff they shipped me (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/366-The-Dillinger-Escape-Plan-(Kill-posers)?p=89128#post89128), as well as trying to contact the distributor, and i never heard back from either one of them, so i still have that extra copy of the album on sealed vinyl (i'm keeping the CD, at this point). anyone who wants the vinyl can have it for free (just shoot me a few bucks for shipping).

i was going to make you answer a trivia question but i can't think of any good ones...so tell me why you love Dillinger Escape Plan, and why you love vinyl. first person to give me a great answer gets it.

and it goes to space suicide! :D

bobbie solo
08-01-2013, 11:45 PM
yea it's been done before by others, but this is so friggin cool. They are just at 110% out there every night.

http://youtu.be/Z-fjZIMhrlc

eversonpoe
08-02-2013, 12:10 PM
holy fucking shit.

Space Suicide
08-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Very nice and also:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/073906353813df659bbdde35ecbf44d7/tumblr_mqigwi8H2n1qb1rzvo1_1280.jpg

eversonpoe
08-02-2013, 03:32 PM
did you spin it yet? like i said before, mine sounds PRISTINE and i'm assuming the one i sent you came from the same batch.

Space Suicide
08-02-2013, 06:14 PM
did you spin it yet? like i said before, mine sounds PRISTINE and i'm assuming the one i sent you came from the same batch.

Ah, I wish. Have yet to get the chance to sit down and do so.

Reznor2112
08-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Old, but i just found this and if you are bored...a very funny interview to read Lots of NIN questions

http://lambgoat.com/features/interviews/71/Dillinger-Escape-Plan-interview

cahernandez
08-20-2013, 02:52 PM
I went to see DEP last night in Seattle. Holy cow. I was elbowed during the moshpit, have a bruise in my nose and one in my eyebrow. Not super bad (didn't bleed a lot) but after I got out of the mosh pit I was standing next to a security guy and he saw me bleeding and said: "dude, are you alright" and I said "yeah" and he said "you should go to the bathroom to check yourself" and I said "No, it's ok, I'll be ok" and then he said "if you don't go to the bathroom to check yourself I'll have to escort you out" (or something to that effect) so I went and washed my face then came back.

Today I feel like Edward Norton’s character in Fight Club, where he’s sitting in the office (I work in an engineering company), with proper office clothes and all beaten up after a night at the Fight Club (and I have a meeting with the client in a couple of hours). It’s interesting the reactions I get from coworkers when I explain what happened last night.

But Dillinger Escape Plan was AMAZING…so much energy. They played Crossburner, it was intense! I can't imagine what their promoter goes through every night with these guys/animals, DEP's promoter is a tiny young lady, she must be made of steel!

Space Suicide
10-01-2013, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4YQlZXrzXo&feature=youtu.be

cahernandez
12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Excellent interview with Ben and Greg. According to Ben, he almost died during a show in Aberdeen some nights ago! Were any of you at that concert?

http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/The-Dillinger-Escape-Plan-interview/18163/

Soma
01-21-2014, 08:40 PM
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/Nautical_Dusk/DEPTrashTalktour_zps4ccd92c2.jpg

october_midnight
01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Shit yes hitting up that Vancity show fo sho.

eversonpoe
01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
they have some very affordable VIP ticket packages (http://new.soundrink.com/front/tour/dillinger-escape-plan) that come with a flag, a poster, a laminate, & a mystery cassette single.

http://new.soundrink.com/image/admat/dep-ad2.jpg

Reznor2112
03-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Got around to listening to the Spylacopa EP that Greg did vocals on. This being said, I am excited but worried about this...
http://loudwire.com/killer-be-killed-release-date-cover-art-track-listing-debut-album/

As I can't STAND Max from Sepultura. I really hope only Greg does the vocals.

mfte
03-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Got around to listening to the Spylacopa EP that Greg did vocals on. This being said, I am excited but worried about this...
http://loudwire.com/killer-be-killed-release-date-cover-art-track-listing-debut-album/

As I can't STAND Max from Sepultura. I really hope only Greg does the vocals.

Killer be Killed is pretty crappy from the little that I have heard.

BUT in Dillinger news... there is a new song

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/03/25/theres-one-way-get-dillinger-escape-plans-new-song-happiness-smile/

the duder
03-25-2014, 11:18 AM
But Dillinger Escape Plan was AMAZING…so much energy. They played Crossburner, it was intense! I can't imagine what their promoter goes through every night with these guys/animals, DEP's promoter is a tiny young lady, she must be made of steel!
I believe the manager is either the wife or girlfriend of Liam Wilson, the bassist.

Reznor2112
03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Killer be Killed is pretty crappy from the little that I have heard.

WHAAAAA????/

Im fuckin digging this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJE_V3QACRk

richardp
03-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Man, that sounds like garbage. I would have expected better from the people in that band. Instead it just sounds like pure uninspired Butt Rock bullshit that will probably get played on modern rock radio stations.

Reznor2112
03-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Man, that sounds like garbage. I would have expected better from the people in that band. Instead it just sounds like pure uninspired Butt Rock bullshit that will probably get played on modern rock radio stations.

I promise I am not trying to come off as a douche, but what kind of sound were you expecting from this band. I disagree that is sounds like "butt rock" but I knew I didn't want to sound like Dillinger, or Mastadon as it would be a copy cat. I really am curious as to what you were hoping the sound to be.

cahernandez
03-26-2014, 03:18 PM
I promise I am not trying to come off as a douche, but what kind of sound were you expecting from this band. I disagree that is sounds like "butt rock" but I knew I didn't want to sound like Dillinger, or Mastadon as it would be a copy cat. I really am curious as to what you were hoping the sound to be.

The guitars sound too generic, like "radio-friendly heavy metal". I'd put the onus on Max Cavalera. His stuff was great with Sepultura, but Soulfly and the Max Cavalera Conspirancy are not that interesting, musically speaking. Whereas in Sepultura there were very good contributors (Andreas Kisser, his brother and Paulo Jr.) Max solo does not have the same punch. His style transpired a lot to this project, for some reason. The bass lines are solid, but they are buried in the mix.

Reznor2112
03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
The guitars sound too generic, like "radio-friendly heavy metal". I'd put the onus on Max Cavalera. His stuff was great with Sepultura, but Soulfly and the Max Cavalera Conspirancy are not that interesting, musically speaking. Whereas in Sepultura there were very good contributors (Andreas Kisser, his brother and Paulo Jr.) Max solo does not have the same punch. His style transpired a lot to this project, for some reason.

I can respect that. I'm just a Puciato fan boy and will listen to anything he does.

In other news, according to a Revolver interview, Greg is doing another side project with Josh Eustis (Telefon Tel Aviv, Puscifer, NIN) called The Black Queen with a release slated for later this year.

cahernandez
03-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I can respect that. I'm just a Puciato fan boy and will listen to anything he does.

In other news, according to a Revolver interview, Greg is doing another side project with Josh Eustis (Telefon Tel Aviv, Puscifer, NIN) called The Black Queen with a release slated for later this year.

I understand, I am a Puciato fan boy too! I have a lot more expectations for The Black Queen. And I really wanted to like Killer be Killed, but it didn't really do anything for me.

I don't know if you have a ticket for the upcoming DEP tour, but if you do, I'd highly recommend you to show up early for Retox. They are awesome, I saw them open up for Tomahawk last year, I'd call it "modern day Black Flag". The singer looked genuinely PISSED OFF throughout the whole show and said something along the lines of "I hope something of what we did caught your attention". I looked around and the audience looked stunned. A very confrontational band, true punk rock. I recognized their bass player on my way, he was standing by the merch table, I said to him "awesome show" and he shook my hand. Cool guy. Listen to their album YPLL, you won't regret it.

richardp
03-27-2014, 02:09 AM
The guitars sound too generic, like "radio-friendly heavy metal". I'd put the onus on Max Cavalera. His stuff was great with Sepultura, but Soulfly and the Max Cavalera Conspirancy are not that interesting, musically speaking. Whereas in Sepultura there were very good contributors (Andreas Kisser, his brother and Paulo Jr.) Max solo does not have the same punch. His style transpired a lot to this project, for some reason. The bass lines are solid, but they are buried in the mix.

Exactly. When you've got a guy from Mars Volta and a guy from DEP together, I'd expect some interesting math-y stuff with a bit of a groove from Max and Troy. But, yeah, instead it's just generic radio friendly butt rock with random break downs thrown in the middle of it. I guess this just proves that, truly, the best musicians from all four of those bands are not in this band.

Reznor2112
03-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Exactly. When you've got a guy from Mars Volta and a guy from DEP together, I'd expect some interesting math-y stuff with a bit of a groove from Max and Troy. But, yeah, instead it's just generic radio friendly butt rock with random break downs thrown in the middle of it. I guess this just proves that, truly, the best musicians from all four of those bands are not in this band.

I could understand this IF, the "guy from DEP" was Ben, but its Greg.

richardp
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
I could understand this IF, the "guy from DEP" was Ben, but its Greg.

Greg still plays a crucial role in their song-writing, though.

the duder
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Greg still plays a crucial role in their song-writing, though.

In song writing - lyrically - Greg handles about everything (minus Parasitic Twins, which I think Jeff Tuttle wrote or co-wrote).

Everything else = Ben, then Billy. Having devoured almost every interview spoken or written, this was actually a huge point of contention and a cause for a lot of tension and a major theme the last album. I kind of inferred that Ben wanted more input from Greg, but Greg's M.O. has, and is, to let Ben do the musical lifting and then try to encapsule what he feels come out as lyrics as he listens to the songs' instrumentals.

Regardless, I think I'm going to either hit up the Philly or Baltimore shows next weekend. Thanks for the heads' up on Retox as well. Very interested in checking them out!

ziltoid
04-03-2014, 02:36 PM
New Song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BfS3XbVqg#t=14
Wish the bass didn't sound muddled and everything was a bit clearer but, it is an awesome song.
Does this mean they are working on a new album?

Reznor2112
04-04-2014, 08:40 AM
New Song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BfS3XbVqg#t=14
Wish the bass didn't sound muddled and everything was a bit clearer but, it is an awesome song.
Does this mean they are working on a new album?

Nope. This is the new LE 7"/Cassette ONLY single that is being sold at the upcoming shows.

the duder
04-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Just got in from the Philly show.
HOLY. FUCK.

If you can see this show, it is a must. All 4 bands on the bill crushed it.

Reznor2112
04-08-2014, 01:14 PM
DEP are RE-RELEASING "One Of Us Is The Killer" with multiple bonus tracks, new covers and demos according to Greg:

http://www.theprp.com/2014/03/28/news/greg-puciato-says-ex-torche-guitarist-guests-on-killer-be-killed-the-dillinger-escape-plan-to-re-release-latest-album/

Space Suicide
04-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I HATE when bands do this shit.

Merriweather
04-08-2014, 11:37 PM
They kind of did this with Option Paralysis too.

Annoying, but as long as I can download the extras without having to buy the whole album again I can live with it.

eversonpoe
04-09-2014, 08:18 AM
They kind of did this with Option Paralysis too.

Annoying, but as long as I can download the extras without having to buy the whole album again I can live with it.

wait, they did? i thought they just released multiple formats when it came out originally. the standard CD (in frustrating packaging, which i own), the box set (in awesome packaging, which i own), and a couple vinyl variants...

Reznor2112
04-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I HATE when bands do this shit.

So I'm assuming you WONT be buying The Fragile re-issue?

Sorry haha had to.

Ive always liked re-issues. No one is making you buy it. I like have different versions of physical CDs and with this being my favorite DEP album, this will def be a day one buy.

wait, they did? i thought they just released multiple formats when it came out originally. the standard CD (in frustrating packaging, which i own), the box set (in awesome packaging, which i own), and a couple vinyl variants…

Thats what they did, OP didn't get a re-issue. Just multiple releases.

SIDE NOTE: Has anyone gotten the Happiness LE single from these shows, if so any chance of getting a HQ vinyl rip of the single and the One Of Us Is The Killer (Jam Instrumental)???

Merriweather
04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
wait, they did? i thought they just released multiple formats when it came out originally. the standard CD (in frustrating packaging, which i own), the box set (in awesome packaging, which i own), and a couple vinyl variants...

They put out the "Paralyzing Edition" that had the CD exclusive bonus track, the Japanese bonus track, the Itunes exclusive Demo, and the Amazon exclusive demo tacked on the end of the album.

It was missing the vinyl exclusive remixes though.

Space Suicide
04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
So I'm assuming you WONT be buying The Fragile re-issue?

Sorry haha had to.

Ive always liked re-issues. No one is making you buy it. I like have different versions of physical CDs and with this being my favorite DEP album, this will def be a day one buy.

That's a different case. The album is over 10 years old and features more than just a few songs thrown in. Anniversary re-issues are a different case. This DEP album isn't even a year old yet but there's a confirmed re-issue, that makes it less appealing and acceptable. I would much rather they just release the new shit as an EP rather than the same shit I bought last year entirely plus a few more to it.

I'll buy this One of Us is the Killer re-issue but if I had known about this, I would've rather had never bought the original release and just bought this instead.

Reznor2112
04-10-2014, 08:39 AM
That's a different case. The album is over 10 years old and features more than just a few songs thrown in. Anniversary re-issues are a different case. This DEP album isn't even a year old yet but there's a confirmed re-issue, that makes it less appealing and acceptable. I would much rather they just release the new shit as an EP rather than the same shit I bought last year entirely plus a few more to it.

I'll buy this One of Us is the Killer re-issue but if I had known about this, I would've rather had never bought the original release and just bought this instead.

Hahaha Nah, I getcha. I was just giving you a hard time. I just like having multiple copies of my favorite albums, so getting unreleased music from those sessions is exciting for me. But I understand that it can be annoying to have to buy an album all over again for a few songs, but I guarantee the new tracks will be online after the release.

Archive_Reports
04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUP9E5jJrr4#t=31

Reznor2112
04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
DEAR GOD!! That song though...

I really hope it ends up on the OOUITK re-issue. Or has a digital release.

Also, it looks as though the band MAY be releasing a live DVD which I'm assuming will also be directed by Mitch Massie (HIJAS, OOUITK, WILMB director)

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=101804

eversonpoe
04-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Blackbookpress1984 was awesome enough to pick up a copy of the 7" for me at the chicago show last night, and it's pink! thanks, kyle!!!

Reznor2112
04-13-2014, 11:16 AM
@blackbookpress1984 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=583) was awesome enough to pick up a copy of the 7" for me at the chicago show last night, and it's pink! Thanks, kyle!!!

lucky!!!!!!

cahernandez
04-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Hey guys I'm going to the Vancouver show this Friday, if someone wants me to grab a 7" for you PM me. Hey the duder, how was Trash Talk?

And finally, here's an interview with Ben Weinman and Justin Pearson (Retox), really good: http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/the_dillinger_escape_plan_and_retox_tour_interview

the duder
04-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Hey guys I'm going to the Vancouver show this Friday, if someone wants me to grab a 7" for you PM me. Hey @the duder (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=416) , how was Trash Talk?

And finally, here's an interview with Ben Weinman and Justin Pearson (Retox), really good: http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/the_dillinger_escape_plan_and_retox_tour_interview

Oh man...Trash Talk were a lot of fun! Their singer (name escapes me and too lazy to Google) was a fucking riot - at one point he stopped and made everyone tuck their shirts in so we all looked more "formal". I kept goading him to tuck his shirt back in about 2/3 of the way through their set. Very solid band and they had a pretty strong crowd following. As for stage presence, think near DEP intensity but more of a "Jackass crew" (like Bam Margera & crew) vibe, if that makes sense.

Also, I got to meet Billy Rymer who was beyond cool (and I was beyond speechless) as The Shining were about to start. Told him I was stoked and a big fan, and he asked me if I'd seen any of the other bands. I said no, and he just shook his head, smiled and pointed at the stage and The Shining were coming on and walked to the back of the venue with James Love to watch some of the other bands. I also got to meet Justin Pearson of Retox after the show in the lobby of the venue. He didn't say much, nor did I, but it was cool enough to shake the dude's hand and tell him I appreciated his work.

ryanmcfly
04-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Can't wait to see them in dallas on May 1st!

edit: I love Happiness is a Smile, I just wish I had lyrics. On the Killer Be Killed note, I dig the songs, but I wish Greg sang more.

eversonpoe
04-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey guys I'm going to the Vancouver show this Friday, if someone wants me to grab a 7" for you PM me. Hey @the duder (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=416) , how was Trash Talk?

ok, now i'm even more pissed i didn't go when they were here. i had NO IDEA justin pearson was in retox...i'm a HUGE locust fan. god damnit.

Reznor2112
04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Ok, the video description says that this is an Option Paralysis bonus track, though I have yet to find a version of OP that has this as a bonus track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cC0r8xaCJE

As far as I knew, OP only had:

Heat Deaf Melted Grill
Chuck McChip
Farewell, Mona Lisa (Demo)
Endless Endings (Demo)
Parasitic Twins (Instrumental)

am I missing something?

Space Suicide
04-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Never heard this remix until today, right now.

Never knew of it being an OP bonus track either. Only stuff I knew of is what you have listed.

Weird.

cahernandez
04-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Can't wait to see them in dallas on May 1st!

edit: I love Happiness is a Smile, I just wish I had lyrics. On the Killer Be Killed note, I dig the songs, but I wish Greg sang more.

The lyrics show up in the "About" portion in the YouTube page of the video.

Merriweather
04-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Ok, the video description says that this is an Option Paralysis bonus track, though I have yet to find a version of OP that has this as a bonus track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cC0r8xaCJE

As far as I knew, OP only had:

Heat Deaf Melted Grill
Chuck McChip
Farewell, Mona Lisa (Demo)
Endless Endings (Demo)
Parasitic Twins (Instrumental)

am I missing something?

I believe it was part of a batch of downloadable songs that buyers of the OP vinyl received.

dlb
04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
god damn, happiness is a smile might really be one of my most favorite songs by them. I liked one of us is the killer, but this blows the roof off for me!

Reznor2112
04-16-2014, 08:12 AM
A lot of people hate the drums in the song but I think it sounds fucking beast. That opening bass kick gives me goosebumps.

50 Volt Phantom
04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
god damn, happiness is a smile might really be one of my most favorite songs by them. I liked one of us is the killer, but this blows the roof off for me!
Really? I think it's just okay, nothing to write home about. I'd still go see these guys live but they've been on a downward slope musically for awhile, this song just continues the trend.

Reznor2112
04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Really? I think it's just okay, nothing to write home about. I'd still go see these guys live but they've been on a downward slope musically for awhile, this song just continues the trend.

I respect your opinion but these guys are far from a downward slope. They are erring better with ever record they put out.

cahernandez
04-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Ben discusses injuries in this interview, I have to admit that I did laugh out loud while reading his answer “that’s it. I’m dead!”: http://digboston.com/boston-music-concerts/2014/04/interview-the-dillinger-escape-plans-ben-weinman/

Mañana Vancouver :)

Make sure you watch the "Crazy Moments Compilation" video in that interview. I think Señor @billpulsipher (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2774) is following the wrong band, if he wants to see a band with crazy antics ala NIN circa 1994 he should be following DEP now!

dlb
04-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Dillinger is a whole up and down for me. I wouldn't say that they are actually getting better with every record but there is definitely something in their sound that keeps progressing. I have the feeling that they are getting more content and self aware with every release they put out and it seems that they're writing their stuff more effortlessly over the time while remaining a very high production standard.

I usually dislike half of the songs on their records and that hasn't changed but the songs I do like keep getting better and better.

Reznor2112
04-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Mañana Vancouver :)

http://cdn.newadnetwork.com/sites/prod/files/uploads/barbarap/GIF/new_girl_dance.gif

cahernandez
04-19-2014, 11:05 PM
One of the hardest bands for me to photograph is Dillinger Escape Plan, in part because of the strobes they use, which makes it super hard for my "enhanced" point and shoot to focus its lens (the strobe makes the lens go crazy, getting a sharp picture is hard). Granted, this is one of the best aspects for me of the DEP light show. Simple, yet super effective. The stage is not super illuminated, so instead you see the shadows of these beasts moving around the stage, it's like guerrilla punk rock. The other complicated thing about shooting the DEP is that you either have to be far away from the stage, or get closer and risk losing the camera. For the last two songs I went into the moshpit, did a bit of moshing but also took a few photos and I was scared to hell of losing my camera by getting hit by a mosher (luckily this didn't happen). One of Us is the Killer was an easy song for picture-taking, due to the lack of strobe lights (for the most part). I got to kind of high five Greg and Ben, during one of their multiple stage dives.

They played Come to Daddy (which I wasn't expecting) and a song of them that I admittedly hadn't heard, "The Mullet Burden" (note to self: check out "Under the Running Board"), and Happiness is a Smile, which works really well live, specially the ending. And I got a question for you all: I may come across as an old guy now, but I don't understand why audio engineers feel the need of pumping the volume to its max level at the tiny clubs. Why? Can someone that knows about audio mixing in concerts explain me this? It's annoying when your ears start to hurt at a concert, but the biggest issue I have is when the music is so loud that you can't discern instruments. The Rickshaw (where the show was) had a relatively good mix for DEP, but it was pretty bad for Retox, I could only hear cymbals and screaming, not a lot of bass. I did wear ear plugs at various points during the evening, but mostly did not wear them because I don't like the muffled sound I get from wearing earplugs.

Here are some of the photos I took last night:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3815/13943872503_0d3a31204c_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7298/13939641564_d0b7030224_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/13920712152_4789fbacaf_c.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2936/13943870353_280df31507_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5519/13920710672_7e5ba8fae4_c.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3690/13920706752_99eabb1e6f_c.jpg

50 Volt Phantom
04-20-2014, 12:29 AM
A Dillinger fan that has never heard "The Mullet Burden?" Facepalm.

cahernandez
04-20-2014, 10:58 PM
For some reason one of my photos ended up on their FB: https://www.facebook.com/dillingerescapeplan/photos/a.86758756348.101623.6900581348/10152445203276349/?type=1&theater

:) I don't know who did it but I'm happy about it.

Reznor2112
04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
For some reason one of my photos ended up on their FB: https://www.facebook.com/dillingerescapeplan/photos/a.86758756348.101623.6900581348/10152445203276349/?type=1&theater

:) I don't know who did it but I'm happy about it.

And their instagram… NICE!

Sent PM

cahernandez
04-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Some further thoughts about the evening: Shining was really good. I did not know a single thing about them before the show, but I was so moved after their set that I bought the live CD+DVD they were selling. It's like bebop jazz meets metal music...the live album is aptly titled "Live Blackjazz". They were reaaally well dressed, stylish black shirts and pants and then at the end they said that they were from Norway (which makes sense, Scandinavians have a very good sense of fashion).

DEP show was hectic, like I said in my previous post I stayed in the back for most of the show, like 80% of it, I was trying to enjoy the music, but for the last two songs I went into the moshpit, hooooly crap. You know that you don't typically smell yourself unless you smell really bad? Well, that happened to me after that show, I was walking to the skytrain station to get to the place where I was staying at, and goddamn I smelled myself and it was other people's ass and armpit smell impregnated in my clothes, because of all the pushing and shoving during those last two songs! I jumped into the bus (the skytrain was not running because of Good Friday) and I found the only empty seat next to these two cute young girls, poor souls, I could register the disgust in their faces when my smelly carcass sat next to to them HA HA.

James Love seemed to be more into the show than last time I saw him with DEP (in Seattle last year, he was barely moving during that particular show). He's a good guy but I miss Jeff Tuttle.

The show was good, they closed with Sunshine the Werewolf, it's always a blast to scream with the crowd DESTROOOYER in unison. During this song Greg said something along the line of "Don't be shy", I think he was instigating the crowd to get on the stage before the "Destroyer" line, not a lot of people did. I did notice someone filming the show with a nice looking camera, DEP mentioned on their Facebook that they are filming this set of shows. Which is good, because the other official live footage I've seen of them (in the DVD included in the Miss Machine Japanese version) is not that great. If it comes out looking like the "Happiness is a Smile" video I'll be happy (no pun intended).

The music that was played right before and after the DEP set was really good. I was standing in front of the mixing board, and I felt like asking the engineer about the playlist, but did not bother...It was really chill electronic music, I know this is very nondescript. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a hold of that playlist? I was thinking of asking in the DEP FB page.

DEP merch was not that interesting, black and white shirts...I do remember seeing a really cool shirt during the 2010 tour with Animal as Leaders, this one, but in white:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/byMAAMXQlgtS5FWs/$_35.JPG
I regret not buying it, I've searched online but haven't found it. The merch table also had an Option Paralysis booklet that I hadn't seen before.

mfte
04-22-2014, 02:15 PM
I do miss Tuttle. Perfect for that band live. He was the Ying to Ben's Wang.

virushopper
04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
I can't wait to see them this Thursday. cahernandez thanks for the heads up on the shirts! I was hoping to see the red logo shirt available but whatever.

Reznor2112
04-22-2014, 04:43 PM
I did notice someone filming the show with a nice looking camera, DEP mentioned on their Facebook that they are filming this set of shows. Which is good, because the other official live footage I've seen of them (in the DVD included in the Miss Machine Japanese version) is not that great. If it comes out looking like the "Happiness is a Smile" video I'll be happy (no pun intended).

Mitch Massie has indeed said that he has been with the band filming for a "future release" Plus, I was in contacts with Sumerian Records last summer about directing a live DVD/Blu-ray for DEP. In the end, it was turned down because the band did not want to film those sets of shows and I guess they had this up their sleeves.

cahernandez
04-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Hey virushopper, you can buy that shirt here: http://www.merchconnectioninc.com/products/dillinger-escape-plan-logo-shirt

Unless you're talking about this one: http://www.backstreetmerch.com/official_dillinger-escape-plan_prd_flag_dep39.html

Reznor2112
04-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey @virushopper (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=404), you can buy that shirt here: http://www.merchconnectioninc.com/products/dillinger-escape-plan-logo-shirt

Just FYI, this shirt comes LONG and after a wash, begins to twist. maybe it was just mine though.

Also, anyone ever heard these pre-Dillinger Greg Puciato songs? Im digging em. There are 3 of them in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iFZP6O8sFE

eversonpoe
04-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Also, anyone ever heard these pre-Dillinger Greg Puciato songs? Im digging em. There are 3 of them in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iFZP6O8sFE

wow, that is very mike patton-y, vocal-wise (for the most part). and the music is like mr. bungle mixed with slipknot. i kind of love this. and i'm not ashamed of it.

virushopper
04-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Hey @virushopper (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=404) , you can buy that shirt here: http://www.merchconnectioninc.com/products/dillinger-escape-plan-logo-shirt

Unless you're talking about this one: http://www.backstreetmerch.com/official_dillinger-escape-plan_prd_flag_dep39.html

I was hoping to avoid shipping and all that but if this is my only choice then sure.

Just FYI, this shirt comes LONG and after a wash, begins to twist. maybe it was just mine though.
Good to know man! Thanks!

imail724
04-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Is this an official video or just a really well done fan-vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lZ5hxlpww

burninglard
04-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Saw the show in Chico, DEP was amazing as always.
I was happy to hear "Come To Daddy" finally.
It was crazy to only have 200 people at the show, they had to move the show to a smaller venue down the street. But the pit was fucking crazy, and it was only like 4,5 rows deep. LOL
Side Note: Retox are a bunch of piece of shit losers. The drummer is a bitch, he spit on a fan for being loud. The fan wasn't being rude or anything, plus they didn't give a fuck to be there at all. The rest of the band wasn't any better, if you fucking hate life so much or hate playing music then don't do it anymore. It is not like they are making any money with it anyway.

Reznor2112
04-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Is this an official video or just a really well done fan-vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lZ5hxlpww

Yes it is indeed the official music video directed by Mitch Massie using footage from their "upcoming live dvd" directed by mitch massie. Some fan I guess posted this to their YouTube account.

The official DEP youtube page is ChuckBillyTotemPoll

virushopper
04-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Saw them yesterday night in LA, wow! I don't know how these guys do it night after night but they just do. @cahernandez (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=446) surprisingly enough they had the shirt I want at the merch booth. And yes burninglardRetox is garbage. I saw them giving shit to some fans outside of the venue.

cahernandez
04-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Saw them yesterday night in LA, wow! I don't know how these guys do it night after night but they just do. @cahernandez (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=446) surprisingly enough they had the shirt I want at the merch booth. And yes @burninglard (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1041)Retox is garbage. I saw them giving shit to some fans outside of the venue.

Very nice. The show I attended was in Canada, and it's not unheard of that bands going to Canada either charge more for their merch because of customs fees, or even don't bother to bring some merch across the border. Re Retox: I like their music, but I can see other people having a gripe with them. I think they are trying (maybe too hard and unnecessarily) to be an antagonistic band ala Black Flag. When I saw them open for Tomahawk in Seattle last year (or was it two years ago?) I saw Justin spit on the face of one fan, but the fan was happy about this, for some reason. Mr. Pearson looked genuinely pissed off in both shows, he scared me a little bit. During that Seattle show Justin just stormed off at the end of the show, jumped into the audience and went to the back of the venue, just disappeared. I got to shake the bass player's hand at the end of the night as I was leaving, he was standing by the merch booth and I recognized him, told him "awesome show" and he nodded.

I'd recommend you watch the documentary they did for the release of their YPLL record, it's fairly interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH9MeHK3hEw

It has interviews with some artists I respect, including Buzz Osborne. That documentary kinda portrays them as starving, pissed off artists that ruined their life because of their choice of being in a punk band. They discuss the difficulty of dedicating their lives to punk, from working lackluster part-time jobs to the gruelling aspects of life on the road sans fame and fortune. But again, I think they're trying too hard to be Black Flag in this respect, when the 80's SoCal punk scene is long gone.

For spitting on fans and other "antagonizing your audience" antics, I HIGHLY suggest you guys reading "Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag". It's an AMAZING read. It kind of makes me wonder how it was like to watch punk shows back in the 80's, with skinheads being at shows and police oppression against punk rockers/punk shows. An era where a band's (or a fan's) physical integrity at a show was not always assured. A time where the best bands in the underground starved (literally) from lack of money (and I'm sure some of them still do, but to a lesser extent). Watching live perfrormances of Retox, DEP or Gallows (a British punk band that I saw in 2009 "opening" for a Henry Rollins spoken word performance show), it kinda makes me think that's how concerts in that scene used to be back in the 80's.

(A little bit off topic: the "Get in the Van" book right now is motivating me to leave a relatively high-paying, but menial job, and start my own company, do something that I'm really passionate about. Right now I'm thinking about starting a vertical farming operation, and distribute produce in a CSA-type way. But that's just a "maybe" at this point. The start of that book talks about Henry leaving his good-paying job at an ice cream store in the DC area, to become part of Black Flag).

Reznor2112
04-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Does anyone happen to know the exact b-side on the Happiness vinyl.

Discogs lists it as "Hero of the soviet Union (instrumental)" and "When I lost my bet (instrumental)" but Ive seen on multiple websites stating that the b-side is a "lengthy One of Us is the Killer" jam session...

Are the b-sides different for the clear vs. pink vinyl?

ryanmcfly
05-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Just got back from the show tonight, made it on stage during sunshine the werewolf. Holy shit. Can't feel anything.

cahernandez
05-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Hey @ryanmcfly (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=232), you're talked about (indirectly) in the following article. My favorite quote from it: "If you get the chance to see one live metal band before you die, please ensure it's the Dillinger Escape Plan. Every other metal band is but a pale imitation."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/05/dillinger_escape_plan_is_still.php

ryanmcfly
05-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Hey @ryanmcfly (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=232), you're talked about (indirectly) in the following article. My favorite quote from it: "If you get the chance to see one live metal band before you die, please ensure it's the Dillinger Escape Plan. Every other metal band is but a pale imitation."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/05/dillinger_escape_plan_is_still.php

It was a fucking blast. My first thought though when I got up there was "how the fuck am I supposed to get off the stage?" I never stage dived before.

eversonpoe
05-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Does anyone happen to know the exact b-side on the Happiness vinyl.

Discogs lists it as "Hero of the soviet Union (instrumental)" and "When I lost my bet (instrumental)" but Ive seen on multiple websites stating that the b-side is a "lengthy One of Us is the Killer" jam session...

Are the b-sides different for the clear vs. pink vinyl?

i have the pink vinyl, which has the two instrumental tracks on side b. i'm listening to it right now and they're definitely early/alternate mixes, though, besides being instrumental. both of them sound REALLY raw (but really good).

i also still can't seem to figure out what time signature "how i lost my bet" is in, and it's driving me crazy. my brain just can't seem to count properly when i listen to it.

Reznor2112
05-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Free 10 hour live stream of Ben and Steve Evetts in the studio today only.

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/studio-pass-w-steve-evetts-ben-weinman

Leviathant
05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Free 10 hour live stream of Ben and Steve Evetts in the studio today only.

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/studio-pass-w-steve-evetts-ben-weinman

This is pretty great, thanks!

the duder
06-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Awesome interview with Liam Wilson & Kip Winger. http://music.thetalkhouse.com/talks/liam-wilson-the-dillinger-escape-plan-talks-with-kip-winger-winger-for-the-talkhouse-podcast/

Reznor2112
06-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Just going to go ahead and call this & lock it in:

I am betting…the new One Of Us is the Killer (Deluxe Edition)will consist of:

Disc 1
-Original Tracks
-Some new tracks incl. "Happiness is a Smile" and maybe a few Demos

Disc 2 (DVD)
-Live Concert directed by Mitch Massie
-When I lost my bet, OOUITK, Happiness, (New Pending) music videos directed by MM

Reznor2112
06-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Quick question: Does anyone happen to have one of the limited edition Dillinger Escape Plan "One Of Us is the Killer" vinyl variants that they would be willing to part with?

http://www.discogs.com/Dillinger-Escape-Plan-One-Of-Us-Is-The-Killer/release/4590117

or

http://www.discogs.com/Dillinger-Escape-Plan-One-Of-Us-Is-The-Killer/release/4590124

Reznor2112
07-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Today:

www.PartySmasherInc.com (http://www.partysmasherinc.com)

Ben's record label officially launches their website today.

(as of 9:32am CST, the site is still not up so it may be that way until later this afternoon.)

eversonpoe
07-16-2014, 08:57 AM
this (http://www.partysmasherinc.com/mike-patton-vs-ben-weinman-our-responsibility) little sit-down between ben & mike patton is GREAT.

cahernandez
07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I just bought a pair of these socks: http://www.cuipo.org/dillingerescapeplan

$15 and Cuipo uses some of that money for their rainforest protection efforts. They've followed a model similar to that of the Patagonia dudes, who have bought land in the actual Patagonia region to protect it.

I think those are some killer socks (plus some of the ones I'm wearing have holes in them! So I need to replace a few).

cahernandez
07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
From the DEP FB: So we start playing amphitheaters on August 2nd with NIN and Soundgarden, but because we've got issues, a giant air conditioned amphitheater doesn't seem like the right way to start a tour. We've gotta get our hands dirty and draw a little blood first in a sweatbox of sardined crazy people (nobody sane listens to us). So with that being said...if you live near NYC and wanna end this Thursday night covered in some combination of sweat, blood, spit, and probably spilled alcohol...then this one's for you:

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/646621?utm_medium=api

DEP for five bucks. I love these guys.

Reznor2112
08-01-2014, 05:15 PM
The full set from the $5 Brooklyn show:

http://www.theprp.com/2014/08/01/news/live-footage-available-of-the-dillinger-escape-plans-set-in-brooklyn-ny-last-night/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kdDFgzj4zRU
Greg is fucking insane during Sunshine.

kel
08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
some one please point me in the direction of something accessible from this band.

Space Suicide
08-01-2014, 08:32 PM
some one please point me in the direction of something accessible from this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zew6hGsFNXQ

eversonpoe
08-02-2014, 09:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FKM3eZTO8

Atu
08-02-2014, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXVBeEuwLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEYLlDThZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-GbyvP5aFo

I think Ire Works as a whole is the best if you want to fall in love with DEP.

cahernandez
08-02-2014, 09:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRV0zvSnvo

eversonpoe
08-04-2014, 09:03 AM

oh, and we can't forget this!

the closest they got to sounding like NIN before covering wish or being touring mates with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kLkh9iDXHQ

Reznor2112
08-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Some pro-shot Live 2014 stuff:

http://youtu.be/_2ctO3OWiU0

virushopper
08-13-2014, 04:15 PM
^That is one dead crowd.

imail724
08-14-2014, 07:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXVBeEuwLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEYLlDThZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-GbyvP5aFo

I think Ire Works as a whole is the best if you want to fall in love with DEP.
This is what got me into them, along with Baby's First Coffin, because it was on the Underworld Soundtrack.
But yeah, One Of Us Is The Killer, the song, would be a perfect place to start.

Conan The Barbarian
08-14-2014, 10:52 AM
http://youtu.be/IfibXumTB5w

The warm up st vitus bar show.

Reznor2112
08-14-2014, 04:29 PM
The warm up st vitus bar show.

Check post #215 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/366-The-Dillinger-Escape-Plan-(Kill-posers)?p=203455#post203455) on this page for the full set.

kel
08-16-2014, 11:21 AM
greg's hot in a bro kinda way.

eversonpoe
08-17-2014, 12:18 PM

yeah, he's kinda sexy but he also kinda looks like a guy who would have beaten the shit out of me in high school, so i'm conflicted. i love his voice, though, so you can't go wrong there.

kel
08-17-2014, 12:19 PM
yeah, he's kinda sexy but he also kinda looks like a guy who would have beaten the shit out of me in high school, so i'm conflicted. i love his voice, though, so you can't go wrong there.
exactly. and i hate myself for that.

but i'd totally hit it.

Reznor2112
08-18-2014, 09:29 AM

Hahaha in a non homo way, Ive got a man crush on that dude. Totally went out and tracked down his boots that he wears and paid $300 for them at Diesel. haha The fucker dresses well.

cahernandez
08-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Who was DEP's rhythm guitar player during the NIN/SG tour? Did James Love get a haircut? Or was it someone else? If it was James Love, then he seemed a lot more into it than in previous DEP shows I've seen!

implanted_microchip
08-19-2014, 04:24 PM
So I'm pretty much a brand new fan, with some of you all helping point me in the right directions when I started to get into them after they were announced for NIN as the opener at the shows I was catching. Having seen them now, they're absolutely shooting up as a favorite of mine. I'm wondering, what's their touring schedule usually like? I really want to see them in a more "proper" setting than an amphitheatre (they killed both FL dates, but it seemed like the wrong way to see them), and am wondering when the next most likely time would be for them to do a solo tour.

Airbornefeline
08-19-2014, 04:29 PM
So I'm pretty much a brand new fan, with some of you all helping point me in the right directions when I started to get into them after they were announced for NIN as the opener at the shows I was catching. Having seen them now, they're absolutely shooting up as a favorite of mine. I'm wondering, what's their touring schedule usually like? I really want to see them in a more "proper" setting than an amphitheatre (they killed both FL dates, but it seemed like the wrong way to see them), and am wondering when the next most likely time would be for them to do a solo tour.
They've been touring almost non-stop since around the time OOUITK came out so I bet they're gonna take some time off and hopefully start working on a new album. I don't think they're gonna tour again until sometime in 2015, in support of a new album most likely.

Reznor2112
08-20-2014, 09:14 AM
They've been touring almost non-stop since around the time OOUITK came out so I bet they're gonna take some time off and hopefully start working on a new album. I don't think they're gonna tour again until sometime in 2015, in support of a new album most likely.

Yeah agreed.

Ben posted a "teaser" to twitter stating: "Tour is over, now what?"

I see the Deluxe edition of OOUITK coming out, along with Mitch Massie's Live DVD coming out (if its not with the DE cd)

THEN, hopefully, Greg will finish up work with Josh Eustis on the Black Queen project, release it.

Greg may do a small tour (i.e.. NYC & LA) with Killer be Killed…that will give Ben some alone time to write new music, Greg will come in for vocals.

Pre-album release tour.

Release.

Post-Release Tour. (2016?)

That's 2015 y'all!

Oh and @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) …. there aint NOTHIN wrong with liking how another man dresses haha

eversonpoe
08-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh and @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) …. there aint NOTHIN wrong with liking how another man dresses haha

i was facepalming the "no homo" part.

unless you said you wanted to fuck him, i don't think any of us thought there was anything gay about it ;p

the duder
08-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Yeah agreed.

Ben posted a "teaser" to twitter stating: "Tour is over, now what?"

I see the Deluxe edition of OOUITK coming out, along with Mitch Massie's Live DVD coming out (if its not with the DE cd)

THEN, hopefully, Greg will finish up work with Josh Eustis on the Black Queen project, release it.

Greg may do a small tour (i.e.. NYC & LA) with Killer be Killed…that will give Ben some alone time to write new music, Greg will come in for vocals.

Pre-album release tour.

Release.

Post-Release Tour. (2016?)

That's 2015 y'all!

I think I read that Ben was going to head into the studio with the rest of G.T.O. (Hinds, Avery, Theodore) to get some stuff laid down. Would be perfect time for Greg to hammer out the rest of Black Queen - which I am beyond stoked on, as I am in the "non-sexual man crush on Greg" camp.

As for side projects, Billy's side project - No Machine - is putting out some stuff of late as well. Worth checking out at iamnomachine.com

Lastly - this just surfaced on their Facebook page as part of the Cons project. Not sure how I feel about it just yet. https://soundcloud.com/conversemusic/the-dillinger-escape-plan-x-jarren-benton-rage

50 Volt Phantom
08-26-2014, 07:27 PM
It's just further proof of their downward spiral.

eversonpoe
08-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Lastly - this just surfaced on their Facebook page as part of the Cons project. Not sure how I feel about it just yet. https://soundcloud.com/conversemusic/the-dillinger-escape-plan-x-jarren-benton-rage

it's a LOT better than i expected it to be. the music is definitely not as chaotic (no tempo/meter changes, doesn't get nearly as loud as usual) but it's still good, and this guy can at least rap really well. it's mostly just weird to hear them play in 4/4 for an entire song.

Reznor2112
08-28-2014, 11:19 AM
It's just further proof of their downward spiral.

Not sure how one song signifies a "downward spiral". They aren't in a downward spiral. Their stuff gets better with each album. Unless you are just a Calculating Infinity fanboy.

50 Volt Phantom
08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
I do love Calculating, but the reality of the situation is that they haven't put out a truly great album since Miss Machine. The quality has never been as high, and in hindsight Chris Pennie leaving was simply an indication of that direction. To say their albums have actually gotten better is laughable.

Airbornefeline
08-28-2014, 07:51 PM
One of us is the killer is their best album IMO, Calculating their worst. I think they are getting better with each album.

ryanmcfly
08-28-2014, 08:00 PM
One of us is the killer is their best album IMO, Calculating their worst. I think they are getting better with each album.

100% agreed

50 Volt Phantom
08-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Haha, wow, to each their own, but as a fan who remembers the long wait for Miss Machine back in the day I won't be budging on my opinion. That new one off song they released a month or two ago is the shittiest and most bland thing they've ever released, this new collab track is outright awful as well.

Space Suicide
08-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Call me weird but my favorite album was and still is Ire Works.

50 Volt Phantom
08-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Ire Works has aged better than the last two definitely, I actually think Option Paralysis is their worst at the moment.

Airbornefeline
08-28-2014, 11:03 PM
I almost forgot about Option Paralysis. I'd have to put that one down just above Calculating Infinity. The only songs I really like off OP are Farewell, Mona Lisa and Chinese Whispers. Now that I think of it Miss Machine is a great fucking album and it's probably my favorite at the moment. Overall my rankings ATM would be Calculating, Option Paralysis, Ire Works, One of Us Is The Killer, and Miss Machine at 1st. Ire Works, Killer, and Miss Machine are constantly swapping out for my favorite album spot but right now I'd have to say Miss Machine is my favorite. This kinda contradicts my "they're just getting better with every album" statement but y'know whatever I thought about it and changed my mind.

Reznor2112
08-29-2014, 09:16 AM
I do love Calculating, but the reality of the situation is that they haven't put out a truly great album since Miss Machine. The quality has never been as high, and in hindsight Chris Pennie leaving was simply an indication of that direction. To say their albums have actually gotten better is laughable.

I am not putting down your opinion. Everyone is entitled. I am just shocked to hear you say that. I think the production quality has been better on each progressing album. i.e. Ire Works<O.P. O.P.<OOUITK

As far as songwriting, a lot of people threw out OOUITK because it sounded "too clean" or "commercial". Yet, I still see some NIN fans who TRIED to listen to Prancer or When I lost My Bet and still couldn't get into it.

Yes the title track is a modern hard rock song, but so was Black Bubblegum and to go to Miss Machine…Unretrofied is in that group. Phone Home was an early warning that Ire Works was going to be in their future.

I actually praise the band for not sounding the same on every record. They take a chance and don't give a shit if fans like it or not. Which is what real art is about.

With that said, I can understand your love for C.I. but it is hard for me to comprehend your saying an old drummer is the reason the band sucks now. Which they don't.

50 Volt Phantom
08-29-2014, 05:35 PM
I don't think they suck outright, and I enjoy tracks from all of their albums, even the more commercial sounding ones, I just haven't enjoyed an album in its entirety since Ire Works. Production on One Of Us was much better than some of the others where everything was slightly muddy. Option Paralysis had some weird rehash moments that were slightly jarring and I thought that that album was amongst the worst production wise. Ya I love Calculating but I love Miss Machine just as much for different reasons.

I would still go see them live, I'm just glad I got to see them way back in the day before the surgeries and the wear and tear set in, back when Greg was blowing fire into the crowd and swinging a flaming bat around and Ben was throwing broken guitars into the crowd. You can't perform that way forever, I know as much, I just don't see them releasing an album at this point that I will love as a whole. Losing Chris Pennie is still a pretty big thing to me though, they haven't truly been able to replace him.

ryanmcfly
08-29-2014, 08:57 PM
One of Us is the Killer and Option Paralysis were the only two that I've enjoyed all the way through. Ire Works and Miss Machine are still great though. I can't get into Calculating Infinity.

50 Volt Phantom
08-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Out of curiosity what was the first Dillinger album you listened to?