PDA

View Full Version : [We don't like] Death Grips

bobbie solo
10-03-2012, 12:51 AM
i think this is utter trash. i don't believe them about leaking shit. they are overhyped, noisy garbage that isn't the least bit shocking or creative. they also fucked over their fans a few months back by cancelling show at the last minute w/barely an explanation.

Highly Psychological
11-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I hope Epic sues them. I think they acted like total dicks. They signed the contract. I hate that type of attitude this band has, have their heads so far up their asses.

I dont think many people are that impressed.

Jinsai
11-14-2013, 11:44 PM
I guess I just don't get it.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-30-2014, 10:16 PM
They still don't fit in the "90s Nostalgia" tour.

NotoriousTIMP
06-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Well, I know when I'll be grabbing a beer and garlic fries.......

kel
06-30-2014, 11:48 PM
just terrible.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
YAY!!! Now maybe someone who actually fits the bill will be on the NIN/Soundgarden tour!

richardp
07-02-2014, 06:08 PM
they cancelled two shows i tried to see them at. great records but fucktards of human beings.

Naw dude, not fucktards. Death Grips was never a "Band" but rather an art instillation. Their ability to cancel shows, I feel, was genuinely PART of the music. It was PART of that band's image. They just didn't give a fuck. Live shows are about promotion, they didn't give a shit. Death Grips was my #1 band I wanted to see at Pitchfork, but I can't help but smile over the cancelation. What's a more Death Grips way of performing at Pitchfork at 3 in the afternoon than to just not play.

This news is sad for sure, there'll never be another Death Grips LP. But they'll live on in infamy no doubt.

Jinsai
07-02-2014, 06:14 PM
so, their reason for breaking up, and throwing away an opportunity to play in front of a ton of people who might discover their music, is that they're currently so awesome they're sure it's not worth it to keep going...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/52036695.jpg

InnerLondon Skywave
07-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Naw dude, not fucktards. Death Grips was never a "Band" but rather an art instillation. Their ability to cancel shows, I feel, was genuinely PART of the music. It was PART of that band's image.

Cancelling shows was part of their Art? ok lol.....

Big Black did this too many years ago, just when Songs about Fucking was about to come out they split after just 3 years. no one understood why.

Jinsai
07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Naw dude, not fucktards. Death Grips was never a "Band" but rather an art instillation. Their ability to cancel shows, I feel, was genuinely PART of the music. It was PART of that band's image.

Calculated gestures that desperately demonstrate how little you give a fuck are transparent bullshit.

They just didn't give a fuck.

So punk... really though? The "I don't give a fuck" sentiment is only cool when you don't really mean it. There's nothing interesting about a musician authentically saying "I don't care."

Live shows are about promotion
Live shows are a LOT more than just promotion... well, if you give a fuck they are.

What's next? is it going to be a hallmark of someone who's a big music fan if their attitude is "actually, I don't really give a fuck about music."

nobies
07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
so, their reason for breaking up, and throwing away an opportunity to play in front of a ton of people who might discover their music, is that they're currently so awesome they're sure it's not worth it to keep going...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/52036695.jpg

Countless amounts of bands have broken up for this reason. Don't be a buffoon.

Jinsai
07-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Countless amounts of bands have broken up for this reason. Don't be a buffoon.

breaking up because you're so sure you're at your most awesome (a couple years in) is a lame reason. I don't care how many bands have articulated the same bullshit.

nobies
07-02-2014, 06:42 PM
breaking up because you're so sure you're at your most awesome (a couple years in) is a lame reason. I don't care how many bands have articulated the same bullshit.
I really think you're reading into this the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with wanting to go out at a time you feel the most personally accomplished with your work.

Swykk
07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
That right there? The single most hipster thing I've seen. Do you write for Pitchfork?

Sarah K
07-02-2014, 06:49 PM
They have apparently never listened to their own music.

Maury
07-02-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm going to assume richardp's post is sarcastic because no real human being would say that and mean it.

Jinsai
07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
really though... they're about as punk as a family bubble bath.

Sarah K
07-02-2014, 06:57 PM
That was seriously the worst post I've ever read on ETS.

TheyCallMeDrug
07-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Naw dude, not fucktards. Death Grips was never a "Band" but rather an art instillation. Their ability to cancel shows, I feel, was genuinely PART of the music. It was PART of that band's image. They just didn't give a fuck.

they can "not give a fuck" all they want, but when genuine fans start losing hard earned money and time over trying to supporting whatever they fuck you want to call them thats fucked up.

And yes, they are fucktards through and through. because of them ticketmaster has collected over $40 in ticket fees from me with no concert or refund to make up for it. you waste my money = I now think you're a fucking retard.

Swykk
07-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Pander? Are you fucking serious? It's not that they didn't appeal to me. Sure, they're not good but lots of bands don't appeal to me. It's the unprofessional history this band has. It's the trying too hard. And honestly, their fans to an extent too, all come across as annoying.
Wow! They don't give a fuck! That's soooooo rad AND different!

That's exactly how I define "hipster"--no passion; just empty gestures and posturing. That and a ridiculous fashion show.

Swykk
07-02-2014, 07:10 PM
But they truly don't give a fuck, right? Which is it?

I see you cut out the "pandering" bullshit. Smart move.

Sarah K
07-02-2014, 07:10 PM
But have you *listened* to those "albums"? :/

KingDeathMachine
07-02-2014, 07:12 PM
"we are now at our best and so Death Grips is over." Yeah, that's not completely fucking pretentious. The 15 year old me thinks quitting at your height and canceling the tour is really cool and interesting. The 30 year old me who's been weaned on Ticketmaster and Platinum chart toppers thinks this is some gimmicky, unprofessional hipster bullshit.

No, actually, 15 year old me is pissed too. I love these guys but FUCK these guys.

Canceling shows is part of the music - LOL the fuck? Is this real life? Heroin addicted living on the edge of suicide Trent manned up and did two years of touring. Cobain thought he reached his height too...AND SHOT HIS HEAD OFF. That's how a man quits, dummy. Reach down, find your nutsack, and do the thing. Or kill yourself. Don't write letters on paper towels and post on Facebook you lame shits.

nobies
07-02-2014, 07:15 PM
"Hipster" is just a stick to beat people with. Its a meaningless word.

Jinsai
07-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Alright, substitute with "disingenuous, vapid, self-absorbed, ironic navel-gazing dumbfuckery" instead.

KingDeathMachine
07-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Denying the existence of hipsters is the surest sign that you are one. It's a thing, dude. Admit it, own it, embrace it, and take your beatings proper.

Kid Charlemagne
07-02-2014, 07:37 PM

You obviously don't read any of RhettButler's posts.

I can't say that I'm not surprised. I'm pretty bummed, mostly because I was looking forward to seeing them the most on the NINSG tour, and they were going to be at Fun Fun Fun Fest in November. Oh and looking at Twitter, Trent's just as pissed off.

Jinsai
07-02-2014, 08:01 PM
RIP. It was one hell of a ride.

Yeah, it was kind of like It's a Small World.

october_midnight
07-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it was kind of like It's a Small World.

Dude your posts in here are gold. Solid. Fucking gold. Yeah they really didn't care.... 'Fuuuuck man, we're so punk. We're writing our break up note on some shitty napkin. That proves we don't give two fucks about anythno no man....make sure you can see the whole thing in the picture. Well....well, fuck, turn your iPhone sideways. Try that.'

Fuck this garbage and LOL to all the suckers that bought in to it.

Sarah K
07-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Trent bought into it. :(

Space Suicide
07-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Is it just me or is everything related to this band as far as live performances go a massive, useless shitstorm?

I never liked this group. I liked one song due to the beats (The Fever) but overall felt this group was extremely overrated. I'm not surprised by this declaration of resignation. Joke really.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
07-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Naw dude, not fucktards. Death Grips was never a "Band" but rather an art instillation. Their ability to cancel shows, I feel, was genuinely PART of the music. It was PART of that band's image. They just didn't give a fuck. Live shows are about promotion, they didn't give a shit. Death Grips was my #1 band I wanted to see at Pitchfork, but I can't help but smile over the cancelation. What's a more Death Grips way of performing at Pitchfork at 3 in the afternoon than to just not play.

I suppose you wouldn't mind if they shit in your mouth either just as long as they called it art? Come on man, no matter how hard you try and excuse this it is not art to cancel shows. It might be "art" but certainly not true ART! By your logic Axl Rose isn't an asshole either! I love GNR too but musicians who disrespect their fans suck!

nobies
07-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Don't get the wrong idea. I wasn't defending what these guys did. It was a dickish move and as a huge fan of both DG and NIN, I'm beyond bummed out. I'm just going through those mourning phases.

Why now, guys?

Why now.....

Amaro
07-02-2014, 11:41 PM
LOLOLOLOLllll

Ryan
07-03-2014, 12:00 AM
This is what Isis did and it pissed me off.

Leviathant
07-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Dudes always seemed to have trouble handling upgrades in exposure, they just never cop to this weakness until after they commit. Maybe it was edgy a few years ago, but at this stage in their career it's foolish and wasting the time of literally anyone who has anything to do with them - whether you're buying their albums or booking their shows.

I tried multiple times to find something in their music I could latch on to, and concluded that if I were hitting any shows on this tour, I had no reason to get there early.

lloyd_dhr
07-03-2014, 05:26 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrnGwakIEAALvFF.jpg:large

UnjollyIrishman
07-03-2014, 05:28 AM
Big Black did this too many years ago, just when Songs about Fucking was about to come out they split after just 3 years. no one understood why.
Big Black didn't break up because they thought that they were too good tho, they broke up because they all got jobs and they couldn't get time off to tour for what little money they made.

staleincense
07-03-2014, 05:50 AM
...and I don't even know why I bothered to wander into this thread after taking a hiatus from ETS for God knows how long.

Leviathant
07-03-2014, 09:14 AM
...and I don't even know why I bothered to wander into this thread after taking a hiatus from ETS for God knows how long.

You might want to get that checked out, because you're also posting in threads without actually contributing to them ;)

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
07-03-2014, 01:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ThkW1EA.jpg
Look how much I don't care. I was too broke for a napkin so I made use of USED TP!

kel
07-03-2014, 02:51 PM
that's way gross.

fuck this "band."

nobies
07-03-2014, 03:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ThkW1EA.jpg
Look how much I don't care. I was too broke for a napkin so I made use of USED TP!

Yawn. Nice shit, bro.

Sarah K
07-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Irony...

richardp
07-03-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm going to assume richardp's post is sarcastic because no real human being would say that and mean it.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/richardpepper/iboNUvTGDXOEA1.gif

staleincense
07-04-2014, 03:04 AM
You might want to get that checked out, because you're also posting in threads without actually contributing to them ;)

flying grey poop

thefragile_jake
07-04-2014, 10:45 AM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/richardpepper/iboNUvTGDXOEA1.gif

Bale is so fuckin' noided.

implanted_microchip
07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
The least they could do if they had any real sense of appreciation or respect for fans would be to ride out the tour, give it a farewell type effort, and then hang it up; signing onto a tour with two other major bands and allowing fans to buy tickets, only to back out mere weeks before the tour simply on the basis of, "Man, we're just TOO great!," is amazingly selfish and childish. Are they offering any type of refund deal for people who were buying just for DG? As far as I know they aren't, which just lifts it up to a whole other level of shit.

I was really getting into them recently, too, and now I'm just incredibly glad I didn't throw any money at them aside from concert tickets that they'll now probably get nothing from. I'm honestly quite surprised that there are quite a few people who all seem to view this as "cool" or "art," because if being a douchebag is art then there are a whole lot of artists in the world.

WorzelG
07-04-2014, 11:06 AM
The least they could do if they had any real sense of appreciation or respect for fans would be to ride out the tour, give it a farewell type effort, and then hang it up; signing onto a tour with two other major bands and allowing fans to buy tickets, only to back out mere weeks before the tour simply on the basis of, "Man, we're just TOO great!," is amazingly selfish and childish. Are they offering any type of refund deal for people who were buying just for DG? As far as I know they aren't, which just lifts it up to a whole other level of shit.

I was really getting into them recently, too, and now I'm just incredibly glad I didn't throw any money at them aside from concert tickets that they'll now probably get nothing from. I'm honestly quite surprised that there are quite a few people who all seem to view this as "cool" or "art," because if being a douchebag is art then there are a whole lot of artists in the world.
Seriously though, given their history which their fans would know, anyone who paid $100 JUST for Death Grips in that amphitheatre setting surely is too stupid to be a fan of theirs and I would have thought that DG fans would pride themselves on their intelligence. Reading fan reaction on twitter over death grips, there's a lot of superiority complexes going on

NotoriousTIMP
07-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Maybe we'll just get lucky and NIN/SG will just have longer sets

staleincense
07-04-2014, 10:56 PM
'The Money Store' is one of the best LPs of the 2000's but it doesn't excuse their shit attitude about the shows.
2010s, you mean?

imail724
07-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Maybe we'll just get lucky and NIN/SG will just have longer sets
99.999999% chance this will not be the case.

Jinsai
07-06-2014, 02:02 AM
99.999999% chance this will not be the case.

Uhhhhhh, that probably depends on the venue actually, and whether or not they have a curfew.

I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl show (no brainer since it's practically a two minute walk from my apartment), and to be honest I'm hoping they don't nab a new opener. When I saw Nick Cave play there, he had Cat Power and Spiritualized open. Despite the fact that both openers had relatively quick sets, Nick Cave only managed to squeeze in about 45 minutes before he had to shut off for the curfew.

Considering that Soundgarden and NIN are basically co-headlining this thing, no opening act would actually probably allow them both to put in longer sets, at least at the Hollywood Bowl.

Kid Charlemagne
07-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Uhhhhhh, that probably depends on the venue actually, and whether or not they have a curfew.

I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl show (no brainer since it's practically a two minute walk from my apartment), and to be honest I'm hoping they don't nab a new opener. When I saw Nick Cave play there, he had Cat Power and Spiritualized open. Despite the fact that both openers had relatively quick sets, Nick Cave only managed to squeeze in about 45 minutes before he had to shut off for the curfew.

Considering that Soundgarden and NIN are basically co-headlining this thing, no opening act would actually probably allow them both to put in longer sets, at least at the Hollywood Bowl.

Do they let you bring in your own alcohol to the Hollywood Bowl? Or did they ever do that?

Jinsai
07-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Do they let you bring in your own alcohol to the Hollywood Bowl? Or did they ever do that?

Depends on the show... for classical and jazz they are cool with it. For this? Probably not.

Charmingly Miserable
07-09-2014, 11:25 PM
If anyone's wanting to snatch up some Death Grips LPs before they are LONG out of print and the price gouging starts:

No Love Deep Web:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/death-grips-no-love-deep-web-vinyl-records.shtml

Dude, that's a way cheap price. I think I paid somewhere around $35 for my copy and I went looking for it everywhere because it sold like hot cakes right when it was released. I am proud to say that I have both NLDW on cd and vinyl. thefragile_jake Jump on that shit before you can't find it anywhere.

I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl show
I'll be there too. I should park at your place! lol

Jinsai
07-10-2014, 02:06 AM
I should park at your place! lol

bbq pre-party?

Charmingly Miserable
07-10-2014, 02:07 AM
bbq pre-party?

I'm so down!

Aladdinsanity
07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QOUqS1B.png?1

implanted_microchip
12-16-2014, 07:22 PM
If this is true (http://www.stereogum.com/1725250/did-death-grips-just-announce-a-tour/news/), this is bullshit. It just means that they "broke up" to get out of touring with NIN/SG.

Their entire breaking up after fans already bought tickets to see them deal and then along the way saying "but buy our next album" was already some of the biggest bullshit I've seen any band pull all year, I wouldn't be all too surprised. I liked their music but they're one of the only bands I've thoroughly quit listening to because of how awful they were towards their entire fanbase. I'm sure if they come back a ton of the more hipster "they're such quality art and you just don't get it" Pitchfork-loving fans will defend it as some grand artistic statement that "we're just not ready for" but it'll be nothing but a petty way to keep getting attention and money and cashing in on the fact that they've developed a fanbase that defends pretty much anything they do.

Space Suicide
12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't give this group a second glance at the shit they pulled regarding the last "tour."

Leviathant
12-16-2014, 07:55 PM
What promoter in their right mind would book this band?

implanted_microchip
12-17-2014, 02:02 AM
LOLOL y'all just STILL don't get it.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/richardpepper/POZSsmZ_zpstt8ixxmk.gif Isn't that the exact kind of response I just said DG fans would give? It's like DG fans think they are just so much smarter than everyone else and no one else "gets it." No, pretty sure I "get it," it's just bullshit. It's your choice if you like a band with zero respect for their paying fans, but really, stop acting like anyone who thinks it's shitty of them to do what they do "doesn't get it." Try being someone who spent their money and time to see them only to get an empty stage or bought tickets to the NIN/SG tour just for them and then tell me all about how great they are.

WorzelG
12-17-2014, 03:39 AM
?..or bought tickets to the NIN/SG tour just for them and then tell me all about how great they are.
Anyone who bought tickets to see the NIN/SG thing JUST for Death Grips is a tool who deserves to lose their money. But otherwise I completely agree. Maybe the promoters will have to get special 'Death Grips' insurance. richardp - why don't you explain to us unartistic folk why we just don't get it instead of giving us silly memes - or is trolling on the Internet actually part of their artistic aesthetic?

WorzelG
12-17-2014, 01:29 PM
You're so wrapped up in money. It's just paper. So what. You're complaining about imaginary currency being used to chain a couple of human beings to a stage and make them perform for your satisfaction. That's what you don't get. It is possible to just enjoy music as sound and not all of the marketing, pimping of the art. You are complaining about the product and not what it does. If anyone thinks they are above and somehow separated it's you and those who agree with you. You pride yourself as someone who "doesn't get it". Pot here's kettle. If you don't like what they do with sound that is completely fine and understandable. But please spare us your selfish need to prop yourself up as a hero against the tide. Rebel without a cause.
So why don't Death Grips just play impromptu shows when they feel like it and crowd source the audience? Anyway as long as you live in the city where they are playing and are just going to the show after work I don't think cancellations matter that much as long as you can get a refund, I've had a few gig cancellations in London that just lead to a night in the pub.

But here's the worlds smallest violin for death grips being forced to perform for people's satisfaction, don't fucking tour then, nobody's forcing them to

Leviathant
12-17-2014, 03:18 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/OblongHonoredElk.gif

I'm arting this thread. Some of you get that.

rampface
12-17-2014, 11:53 PM
The point is to shatter your own perceptions as well. Would I be pissed if I showed up to a Death Grips show only to see a suicide email and people destroying a drumset? Yea... until I realized that was the show. Doing all this creates a mystique around each performance, something missing from artists today who jump into a perfectly oiled machine and ride the wave.

Also, what other band on this forum agitated someone enough to divide opinions into separate opinions. This is some old school mind-racism type shit luzlzz. Why come into a thread and share your point of view if you are not prepared to defend it? What good does it do to circle jerk about your thoughts with nothing to oppose or consider you to question your stance? That's not thinking.

Anyways I do not intend to enjoy Jenny Death!

Jinsai
12-18-2014, 12:36 AM
The point is to shatter your own perceptions as well.

oh no, please don't shatter my fragile perceptions...

This is some old school mind-racism type shit luzlzz.

What the fuck?

october_midnight
12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
They're terrible because they've been put on a pedestal by elitist hipsters who could have Death Grips actually shit on their faces and they'd scream 'IT'S ART, MANNNNN.....'

The only part that bothers me is that Death Grips are obviously smart people knowing that they'd be doing it...and they're aware of it. They know their fans will still drool like lemmings. Bands get to this point and they fucking well know that they're in that sweet spot and can actually do no wrong to their fans. Nobody with a brain hates on Death Grips because it's shit 'music', it's because it's actually not really that groundbreaking, but the Pitchfork crowd is basically showing off the worst of the cliche.

"We could actually cancel this tour, not show up, piss some fans off, waste their time and bum them out...and pass it off as part of this giant artistic endeavor! Yeah let's do it. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ART, MANNNN..." Immediately followed by two groups of people, group one saying 'Well fuck, these guys can eat the dick.' and group two saying 'FUCK MAN, YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.'

Leviathant
12-18-2014, 09:25 AM
This is some old school mind-racism type shit luzlzz.

At this point you're barely stringing together cohesive sentences.

Why come into a thread and share your point of view if you are not prepared to defend it? What good does it do to circle jerk about your thoughts with nothing to oppose or consider you to question your stance? That's not thinking.

You do realize that the thread was split out because other Death Grips fans were upset about people posting in the Death Grips thread who didn't like Death Grips. If you want to complain about circle jerking... well, thanks to the efforts of your fellow Death Grips fans (who get it) you now have a place to go where you can go talk about how cool it is to be ignored. I was getting flack because people wanted to talk about how great the band was without having to hear the negativity coming from people who think the band isn't great.

Oh hang on, are you mind-fucking me with your edgy art and I'm not getting it?

Canuckle
12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
So just because someone tells you it's 'art', after you've paid for something else, means it's all hunky-dory?

God damn, the government needs to learn 'Death Grips' secret right away! Baaaaaaaaaaaa

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rooPPLtK9pg/hqdefault.jpg

october_midnight
12-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Seriously, lol. The excuse of 'I don't care about the people in the band being shitbags, I just dig the music, mannnn...' is all fine and good, but don't get salty when the other side of the crowd may be a bit turned off by the exact same thing. Elitist Pitchfork sheeple can like whatever they like, just don't be pissed when confronted with logical dismissal of shit music made by shitty people.

tony.parente
12-18-2014, 12:16 PM
This was unexpected. This is some manson thread player hating level douchebaggary.

october_midnight
12-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Aww yeah you know it boyee.

slave2thewage
12-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I don't really have an opinion on these guys, except that I think it was really fucking rude to do that breakup/tour cancellation the way they did.

tony.parente
12-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't really have an opinion on these guys, except that I think it was really fucking rude to do that breakup/tour cancellation the way they did.

Truth. I haaaattte the deathgrips but I try not to belittle them in the thread specifically for the fans. Oh well, at least the tour got the DEP out of their cancelation.

Canuckle
12-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Truth. I haaaattte the deathgrips but I try not to belittle them in the thread specifically for the fans. Oh well, at least the tour got the DEP out of their cancelation.

It does not appear anyone in this thread in the past 24 hours is belittling their music. Different strokes for different folks and all.

The debate appears to be more around whether Death Grips' behaviour is legitimately some form of 'art', or if it's just immature antics that manifest themselves as an inability to hold commitments or provide paying customers with what they expect to receive when they fork over their hard earned cash.

october_midnight
12-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Well said. Different strokes for different folks for sure. Canuckle's right, nobody here cares if _____ likes Death Grips. We're more intrigued with the difference between the society and fanbase of music today and how it was, say...15 years ago (yeah I'm one of those 'cranky old' people). Before we had music and knowledge and news in a millisecond and the ability for anyone to blabber shitty rhymes over senseless shit noise...and had to actually sit through it (people have always made shitty songs, and shitty paintings and shitty shit but it was somewhere else quietly that I didn't have to slog through on a daily basis...see: YouTube comments, social media comments, etc. etc. etc.), if something was shit...we called it shit. Music is like painting. Yeah anyone can build a brick wall, that doesn't make it 'art'. It has to be done well. Opinions are like assholes sure, but this 'band' has to be just lapping up the Pitchfork twenty-somethings that would buy their fuckin' socks if they drew smiley faces on them.

Death Grips is smart enough to know that we live now in a time where 'Hey, we can make shit, pass it off as fuckin' genius, and there are enough voices that will be heard on the internet to defend the rest of the world calling our shit shit. They'll defend it to the fuckin' grave!' They KNOW it. That's what fuckin' sucks about it. I'll say it again, Death Grips could actually make a song called 'You're A Fucking Moron if You Like This. Our Fans Are Idiots.' and (oh so very DIY) write the lyrics on a fuckin' napkin and all that edgy, you just don't get ithorseshit, and the amount of people defending it would be staggering.

implanted_microchip
12-18-2014, 02:55 PM
A big thing that a lot of DG fans seem to dismiss is money and paying for their shows and getting some borderline bullshit performance art type "statement" thing. Okay, fine, if they want to make some big sweeping statement that's fine and dandy and all that jazz, but really, acting like money is "just pieces of paper" is the attitude that only young preteens with parents who buy them everything and people with unusually large amounts of disposable income seem to say. For your average person those pieces of paper are the result of hours upon hours of shit work that they don't enjoy, and when they use those pieces of paper for things other than, oh, say, food, housing, gasoline, electricity, etc., they usually want them to go towards things they know they're going to enjoy and give them a great time. If I had spent "just pieces of paper" to see Death Grips live, you know what I would have wanted from that? For them to be there, live, and to perform their music, live, and to put on an actual concert, live. Not give me a fake suicide note on a wall and a drum kit and play their music I've already heard over the sound system and not even bother showing up. You may call that "breaking the expectations of art," I call that "being an asshole who is taking money from people after selling them a product that promised entirely different effects and not giving a shit how many people's hard earned money and time you've wasted."

A lot of people don't get to see the dozens of concerts a lot of people on this board do. A lot of people don't go to festivals, and don't travel constantly to see bands. And if you don't live in a major city or near a venue, going to see pretty much any band is taking several hours out of your free time. Some people work quite a bit and have families, husbands, wives, kids, priorities in life that they have to attend to first and foremost. For them to go see a concert is a big investment. I don't even have to worry about those things and still was only able to see 2 this year between money and travel expenses.

And acting like "Well, you should know by now" is a ridiculous excuse. What about all the people who didn't know that dealt with that shit? What about people who aren't on forums all the time and don't regularly browse the internet? We get into this bubble of thought that everyone researches and looks into these things the same ways we do, but a lot don't. And, when it was announced they were on the NIN/SG tour, I remember so many fans saying how insane their live shows are and how great of a time it'll be to see them, blah blah blah. So what, why didn't any of them know by then? Hm?

If they want to sell lazy bullshit as "art" that's fine, and musically I actually thought they had some cool stuff, albeit nothing that would change my life or blew me away, but to treat "live" shows like such flexible and "negotiable" engagements is just childish and disrespectful to every single fan who buys a ticket to see them. And it's funny to me, because so many artists get shit on for even the smallest of dismissals towards fans; Billy Corgan has spent years now making extravagant box sets of SP albums and done tons of surprise acoustic shows and VIP meet & greets with extra songs and lengthy live shows with awesome visuals and people still jump his shit for even hinting at the fact that he has less of a fanbase now than he did in 1995 and that less people are supportive of him, claiming he's so ungrateful and not acknowledging efforts of fans. But Death Grips announce entire tours, offer the tickets online, let fans buy them, and just show up when they feel like it. You see, the fact that they've actually played live shows proves that it's not some "big artistic moment" when they don't, it's proof that when they feel like it they'll do the same thing other bands do, they'll still perform, and when they don't it's sheer fucking laziness and disrespect. It's saying "Hey, we know you have your money, let's see how shitty we can be to you and you still like it." If anything, that's the "big thing we don't get." That they're seeing just how far they can go exploiting fans and selling you gimmicky little RSD vinyl packages and album covers of their dicks and selling you "live shows" with no band and still have the rabidly defensive and loyal fanbase that they do.

The fact that DG fans don't say "Yeah, we see why people wouldn't like any of that, and that's fair, but we don't mind as much and still really love their music" is one thing. That's an adult and reasonable attitude. But to be chanting "Y'all still just don't get it" and "this is racism" and "it's art man" is the kind of thing the hipster kids I sat with in high school one year would say about any little Pitchfork darling they found themselves enamored with in between spins of Neutral Milk Hotel. And acting like they're "above money" is a pretty amazing thing to say considering they still charge for their shows, they still sell their albums on vinyl, they still sell shirts and merch like any other band on the planet, and they still are willing to take every dollar you sink into the "let's pretend to break up on pieces of toilet paper and act superior to everyone" fund.

october_midnight
12-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Last paragraph sums it up perfectly. That break up note on the napkin nearly had me in tears laughing. It was soooooo edgy. 'Make sure it's framed perfectly. Oh wait...damn iPhone camera...how do you get the flash offno wait...i got it....ok hold it steady. Fuck man this shit is tight.'

GTFO

richardp
12-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Seriously, lol. The excuse of 'I don't care about the people in the band being shitbags, I just dig the music, mannnn...' is all fine and good, but don't get salty when the other side of the crowd may be a bit turned off by the exact same thing. Elitist Pitchfork sheeple can like whatever they like, just don't be pissed when confronted with logical dismissal of shit music made by shitty people.

Your logic would make sense if it wasnt so one sided. None of the Death Grips fans care that you don't like them, part of being a fan of theirs is hearing the confused "...wait you like this?!" response from everyone we know. It's the fact that you guys can't act like adults about and simply see that there are people who like and understand something you don't. Instead you all immedaitely resort to juvenile name calling and berating fans of the band for claiming to understand something that you don't. There was never once a civil debate in that original thread. Just immature name calling, leading to immature trolling (which I'm obviously guilty of) which lead to a moderator completely disrespectfully abusing his power because he doesn't like a band.

But since the mods were unable to act like adults over a fucking musical project now there are three entirely unneeded threads over a band. Because once again, people who don't like this music aren't mature enough to just leave it alone and not go in there.

Leviathant
12-18-2014, 04:30 PM
But since the mods were unable to act like adults over a fucking musical project now there are three entirely unneeded threads over a band. Because once again, people who don't like this music aren't mature enough to just leave it alone and not go in there.

Oh richard. Are you going to tell me you're an art project yet? I'm going to do a little mash-up based off your Reports & Suggestions post.

Here's a thought, why dont you and the "OMG I JUST

get

DEATH GRIPZZZ" people NOT come into the

[we don't like]

Death Grips thread and let us stupid pitchfork hipster retards

complain about

the band in there by ourselves.

Now please leave this thread and go back to the Death Grips circle jerk thread where you can talk about how much you like them without having to hear other people talk about how much they don't like them.

implanted_microchip
12-18-2014, 04:37 PM
simply see that there are people who . . . understand something you don't.

That's the biggest issue I think anyone has here honestly. This entire past page has dealt with this attitude. It's this sense of "We the fans of DG understand more than you do, we get more than you do," as if not liking = not understanding. That's not how it works. Plenty of people "understand" it, they just don't think it's even remotely impressive or special to be understanding. When you say that it gives off an amazing air of superiority, as if you're somehow really special for liking a band because you "understand" it unlike the rest of us. That's the real problem. So far I've not really seen anyone claiming they're anything they're not, meanwhile you're linking random googley eye gifs of MC Ride like it means something. You don't come across as someone who simply likes something and is respectful of the fact that others don't, you come across as someone who is childishly defending something by accusing any detractors of being "out of the loop" or "missing the point" when, in reality, a bunch of angry shouting over repetitive drum tracks and fucking over paying fans doesn't appeal to a lot of people (big shock, I know).

And I don't think you're meaning to come across that way at all, I don't think most people do, I'm just hoping you can see what I mean about how it reads. It just has this air of "I know things and can see real art unlike the rest of you," and I don't think that's how you intend to come across at all, but it's how this entire thread is feeling.

Space Suicide
12-18-2014, 05:38 PM
but this 'band' has to be just lapping up the Pitchfork twenty-somethings that would buy their fuckin' socks if they drew smiley faces on them.

I always still love your descriptions of some things. They're out of the box.

For the record: I do "get it" (and the idea surrounding it as a statement) but I still think it's a disrespectful, lame thing to do when you're a legitimate band who sells tickets. I think the you don't get it line is a weak argument.

Kid Charlemagne
12-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Fucking hell Levi, if you're going to enforce your strict rules, shouldn't you follow them? All you've done is take the bait from Rich and come across as a bigger asshole than you think he is. This isn't even the first time you've done something like this. In your opinion, if it doesn't amuse you, it's wrong for the board and you can tailor it to your own needs regardless of it's the right thing to do or not. You did it to me in the Manson and Controversial Opinions thread, and now you're doing the same thing to Rich in these unnecessary threads that for whatever reason are split up.

The whole object to a message board are to express opinions, some are good, some bad, some you agree with, some no, that's fine, but you've blown this up into a shitstorm because of what looks to be a personal vendetta against one person (Rich). This is between the two of you guys, and I understand that, but I've fallen victim to your abuse of power before and now you're doing the same exact thing to another person on the guise of you not liking the band or anyone who dares to defend the band. Congratulations Levi, you've become as pretentious, insufferable, and embarrassing as Death Grips.

Kid Charlemagne
12-18-2014, 06:59 PM
I think the you don't get it line is a weak argument.
I get where you're coming from, but on the other side, the argument of "this is hipster bullshit bought into by hipsters and it sucks and the guys who make it suck", rather than say I hate Death Grips because they rip off ________ and their music sounds like _________, the only thing people rag on them for is being shitty people pulling publicity stunts. I mean, for fuck sake this is a NIN board and Trent is one of the biggest assholes this industry has seen.

slave2thewage
12-18-2014, 07:08 PM
But will the "Death Grips are art" people also defend Lady Gaga?

Krazy
12-18-2014, 07:12 PM
I truly think this "band"'s music fucking sucks, but got a serious question. What type of audience, meaning attendance numbers, would they expect in a large to medium market?...

Trent is one of the biggest assholes this industry has seen.

Ehh, probably some of its fan boy in me but do elaborate. Yeah he's opened up his mouth here and there but who hasn't put foot in mouth when ones been around and popular for 20+ years? Also one of the artists who treats his fans fairly (if not well above average)...

rampface
12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
This is the silliest shit I've read all day. Do you hear yourselves? You're bitter and bickering about a fucking website. Fighting for the right to enjoy hating your job to acquire money that keeps you a slave to necessities like rats fighting for cheese. Arguing about your conservative, borderline nazi definition of what does and does not constitute "art". Getting so worked up about it that you make an effort and waste your time on the planet splitting opinions on a message board. C'mon guys! It is not that serious. Isn't "I don't like their music" enough? That's the only logical excuse to hate this band (seeing as how they have yet to commit a serious crime). You are spending waaaaaay too much of your life dwelling on your hatred for a fucking musical group. Unless all of you in this thread are between the ages of 10-15, there's really no excuse.

marodi
12-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Is Death Grip the Shia LaBeouf of music? Because many people didn't "get" his #IAMSORRY performance in an art gallery last February nor did they "get" his one hour silent Skype interview with a journalist. I certainly don't see the point of the silent interview but I think he deserves mad props for the #IAMSORRY thing during which, according to him, he was raped by a woman. Now that's pushing the Method actor thing to the extreme. Or maybe he has some mental issues; I don't know.

Anyway, I don't "get" what Death Grip calls music. To me, it's noise. But if someone else thinks it's the greatest music ever written in the history of ever and ever, it's fine with me; to each their own.

What makes them shitty is the disrespect to their fanbase. It may be part of their "art" but it's still shitty. That and the "you just don't get it" snobbish attitude of some of their fans. I guess the "getting it" has become the new "true fan" delusion.

cahernandez
12-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Your logic would make sense if it wasnt so one sided. None of the Death Grips fans care that you don't like them, part of being a fan of theirs is hearing the confused "...wait you like this?!" response from everyone we know.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like what a stereotypical Tool fan would say (and for the record, I like Tool).

I'll give you my story: when the DG/SG/NIN tour was announced, I got excited because I'd heard about Death Grips before, but only the name on websites, not a specific song. I'm an "older" music fan and I don't do streaming music at all, I generally shell out cash for CDs (and now vinyl) so because of this it generally takes me longer to discover a new band. Nowadays, I discover new music when I see an opener for a band I like, that's how I typically get hooked to new artists (less frequently I take suggestions from friends, or from this board). So, when Death Grips was announced as the SG/NIN opener, I got excited an started checking out some of their songs on YouTube. The fact that Zach Hill is involved also got me curious about these dudes. To be honest, I wasn't super thrilled with the songs I saw on YT (but I didn't think they were bad, either, just alright). However, some of you folks raved about their incredible live shows, so that kept me looking forward to the tour.

And then they cancelled. That's the shittiest thing I've seen any music band do, given the circumstance and context. TR was absolutely right to call out their bullshit on twitter. I obviously didn't only buy the ticket for DG, but I had seen SG and NIN before, so when they announced DG on the bill, the "I may buy a ticket for the show" changed to a "I'm definitely buying tickets for this". Compared to DG, Tool is a magnificent band towards their fans!

After the cancellation, I lost all interest I had on Death Grips. I'm not saying their music sucks, I actually gave their music a chance (and I would probably enjoy something like the Money Store -didn't buy it, don't see the point of giving that type of band cash-), but after the cancellation, they did definitely lose a fan, and I'm sure I was not the only one that tuned out after that.

On the bright side, I got the Dillinger Escape Plan instead, and for the record, I think DEP stole the show from NIN and SG. DEP>>>DG.

ViN
12-18-2014, 08:52 PM
I saw them live in June of 2013 when I worked at the venue they performed at for that tour, this was before the CD player and suicide note bullshit that happened. They were awesome at that show but no Zack Hill and I had hung around the green room with them before it. They did not act like their image suggested, MC Ride ordered a kale salad and I told them I really liked The Money Store and Exmilitary, which were good. Everything since then has been awful and trollish, and the dick album and Government Plates were so bad I didn't even care that they kept putting out new ones or even broke up. So I did like Death Grips. Also, their crowd was mostly metalhead looking dudes and stoners, not really a bunch of hipsters at that one even if they get hyped up by those sort of websites.

rampface
12-18-2014, 09:06 PM
^ thank you! A truthful post. No bullshit. This just proves that none of you know what you're talking about. You assume.

Canuckle
12-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Hey DG fans, you have your own thread.

How come those who 'Don't Like' Death Grips can understand and follow this simple split but you can't, or do I just 'not get' the English language?

tony.parente
12-19-2014, 10:15 AM
We should have a "we don't like x" thread for every band in this section.

october_midnight
12-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Fighting for the right to enjoy hating your job to acquire money that keeps you a slave to necessities like rats fighting for cheese. Arguing about your conservative, borderline nazi definition of what does and does not constitute "art".

LOL shit cracked me up. That's so deep mannnnnnn.....

Canuckle
12-19-2014, 10:30 AM

As opposed to hating your job to acquire money to drop on a limited run RSD press of the latest Death grips album... that had a DEATH license plate in it. Nice gimmick, such 'art'.

Krazy
12-19-2014, 11:19 AM
We should have a "we don't like x" thread for every band in this section.

In theory I love this idea.

In reality I would never get shit done at work.

tony.parente
12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
In theory I love this idea.

In reality I would never get shit done at work.
Thread number 1: "we don't like nine inch nails"

rampface
12-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Basic concept. Sorry that you think that's deep.

october_midnight
12-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Nah the concept was basic enough...just the overuse of polysyllabic words to try to give it this edgy, holier-than-thou vibe to it was jokes.

'Fighting for the right to enjoy hating to acquire money that keeps you a slave'? LOL, ok. I call it hating shitty music, but if you wanna keep that thesaurus handy, give 'er.

rampface
12-19-2014, 01:43 PM
You're implying that I need a thesaurus instead of my brain. Maybe because you're projecting your own insecurities... and I'm the dumb one...

O K A Y . . .. ...

And you have yet to say anything about the music. All you've written about are gimmicks and show cancellations. Have you even listened to their music? Or do you just read Pitchfork news and secretly hate yourself for it?

richardp
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
As opposed to hating your job to acquire money to drop on a limited run RSD press of the latest Death grips album... that had a DEATH license plate in it. Nice gimmick, such 'art'.

As opposed to when Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross included a replica razor blade USB necklace with a release. Nic gimmick, such 'art'.

eversonpoe
12-19-2014, 01:50 PM
here, i'll say something about the music as someone who hasn't yet posted in any of the death grips threads:

the music is ok. it's not terrible, it's not great. it's inspired by / derivative of the direction saul & trent were heading with niggy tardust, mixed with a heavy dose of nihilism.
my biggest problem is that the lyrics don't just come across as nihilistic, by often misogynistic, and that makes me incredibly uncomfortable.
then, when you combine all of that with how they act (in general and especially toward their fans), it makes a good recipe for distaste.
if you don't want to play live shows, don't play live shows. just make music and call it a day.

eversonpoe
12-19-2014, 01:51 PM
As opposed to when Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross included a replica razor blade USB necklace with a release. Nic gimmick, such 'art'.

except that it's a functional thing (USB drive with high-quality audio) that's related to the film. so...yeah, it makes a lot more sense.

october_midnight
12-19-2014, 01:55 PM
You're implying that I need a thesaurus instead of my brain. Maybe because you're projecting your own insecurities... and I'm the dumb one...

O K A Y . . .. ...

And you have yet to say anything about the music. All you've written about are gimmicks and show cancellations. Have you even listened to their music? Or do you just read Pitchfork news and secretly hate yourself for it?

Dude, I despise myself. You have no idea. Never called you dumb, at least I don't think I did. May have to go back and read my posts earlier. And I have listened to their music, and it's awful. But like I've said before, I know why people buy in to it...it's nothing new.

Oh and yeah, I read Pitchfork all the time. And the hatred for myself is so secret, you have no idea.

richardp
12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
except that it's a functional thing (USB drive with high-quality audio) that's related to the film. so...yeah, it makes a lot more sense.

except that the liscence plate is related to the album cover art. So... yeah, it makes just as much sense.

Swykk
12-19-2014, 02:34 PM
It's the fact that you guys can't act like adults about and simply see that there are people who like and understand something you don't.

There it is. When he's not posting pointless GIF only responses (please hit the "Report" button when you see this nonsense), it's empty pretentious shit like this. "You just wouldn't get it."
Stay out of the thread if we don't like it? Discussion is a staple that's encouraged on message boards. You have trouble making credible stances and get angry when they're picked apart. Leviathant crafted your own special thread. Enjoy!

Canuckle
12-19-2014, 02:53 PM
except that the liscence plate is related to the album cover art. So... yeah, it makes just as much sense.

It does! Both cases are exactly the same. Both artists delivered what they promised a paying customer. However, you completely missed my point in relation to rampface's incoherent rambling about how we are all sheep to 'the man'; and Death Grips fans are not.

Death Grips are not above simple consumerism, so people need to stop acting like they are. They charge you for merch, music (sometimes), shows, and nifty little gimmicks. Simply stating you are a 'sound and and vision exhibition' does not mean you are above the laws of the unspoken consumer/seller contract when you turn around and sell albums and tickets to concerts.

If you went to a restaurant and a server delivered you a meal you did not order (no less a meal that you have no idea if you will like), and gave you the simple explanation that the chef was feeling 'artistic'; would you accept this as reasonable practice?

r_z
12-19-2014, 03:12 PM
you guys...

Kid Charlemagne
12-19-2014, 04:02 PM
I've drifted away from October Midnight recently and I disagree with him about Death Grips, but your comment about secretly hating yourself made me lose it at work. You're winning this thread.

rampface
12-19-2014, 04:20 PM
All music must sound "new" to be correct. Also, you must buy into it. Sound appreciation is irrelevant.

Niggy Tardust is the only rap record in existence with distorted industrial beats. Atari Teenage Riot is a fictional band. etc.

Khrz
12-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Man, I really wish I had some sort of opinion on the subject, because I sure feel like I'm missing out...