PDA

View Full Version : Concerts you attended in 2014

GulDukat
12-17-2014, 04:05 AM
I went to very few shows this year, compared to last year.

Luscious Jackson
Tori Amos
The Cult
NIN/Soundgarden

All good shows, with NIN-SG being my favorite.

pwing47
12-17-2014, 09:31 AM
My goal for 2014 was to hit 50 shows. Success!

Made it to 53 shows this year and saw 112 bands in 10 states. Probably the only year I'll ever be able to make it to this many great shows! I've been keeping a list throughout the year. Here are some of my highlights:

* = rail / front row

Nine Inch Nails (x7) (5 states; row 3 at Red Rocks; row 3 at filmed TX show)
Soundgarden (x7)
Queens of the Stone Age (x5) (4 states, 1 festival; all 5 front and center) *
Dream Theater (x2) (met band; signed vinyl; fistpounded John Petrucci) *
Primus (x2) (both with Danny Carey of Tool) *
Smashing Pumpkins (on my birthday; with Stoermer and Wilk; six live debuts) *
A Perfect Circle (x2) (Cinquanta; Maynard's 50th in LA)
Puscifer (x2)
Failure (x3) *
TV on the Radio (Riot Fest Denver; live debut of "Happy Idiot") *
Kasabian (2nd row; 1 of 9 US shows)
Foals (3rd row at Sasquatch festival)
Dum Dum Girls (x3) (met band; got setlist in London; got it signed in WI) *
Filter (Richard Patrick posted my show pics) *
Crosses (†††) (played entire discography; fistpounded Chino Moreno) *
OutKast *
Weezer (played entire Blue Album)
The Cure
Spoon *
Cage the Elephant
Clutch
Dandy Warhols *
Surfer Blood (met band) *
We Are Scientists
Social Distortion (Riot Fest Denver) *
Foster the People *
Bastille
Portugal. The Man *
Imagine Dragons (free stadium show; front row for non-sponsors)
Atmosphere
tUnE-yArDs (x2) *
Violent Femmes (x2)
Gary Numan (x2) (taped JBTV show in Chicago) *
Toadies (played full Rubberneck album) *
Days of the New (original lineup; first show in 19 years) *
Tantric *
Ghost
Deafheaven
Brody Dalle *
HAIM *
Manchester Orchestra *
Grouplove *
Eels (got a hug from singer "E" during show) *
alt-J *
Sevendust ("acoustic" show) *
Raveonettes (1 of 8 US shows) *
Cold War Kids *
Airborne Toxic Event (met singer; signed setlist) *
Naked and Famous (x2) *
Dillinger Escape Plan
Cold Cave
Ziggy Marley
Kongos *
Cloud Cult (x2) *
De La Soul
Gogol Bordello (Riot Fest Denver) *
Kid Cudi *
Big Black Delta *
Dropkick Murphys
City and Colour
Descendents (played full Milo Goes to College album)
Infected Mushroom *
M.I.A.
The National
Elbow *
Rise Against
TacocaT (met band)
Dodos
Tyler, the Creator

fillow
12-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I live in the ass of Europe and didn't travel this year, so not much

Depeche Mode
A Storm of Light // Bossk // Tesa // Vanity // MGR
Kasabian // Guano Apes (festival)
Maybeshewill
Mono

+ some Russian bands you most likely don't know about:
Dolphin
Kirpichi

valiantsteed
12-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I really wanted to cut back my concert dollars this year as I've just been way too indulgent the last few years.

I justified seeing the NIN/Soundgarden show, QOTSA, and TV on the Radio twice. There might have been one or two more but I can't recall right now. I know I had tickets to Crosses but had to cancel at the last minute unfortunately.

frankie teardrop
12-17-2014, 10:10 AM
didn't see as many shows as i usually do in a year... starting to find the process exhausting. here's what i did catch though (minus any local gigs or friend's bands):

chris & cosey/carter tutti
kraftwerk
godflesh
loop
agalloch
NIN/soundgarden x2
tori amos x2
front 242
fleetwood mac
be forest
low/slowdive
tiger lillies
smashing pumpkins

looking forward to in 2015:
his name is alive
the church x2
swervedriver
ride

decadent
12-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Quality over quantity this year:

dredg
Cult of Luna / God Seed (drove 200 km to Holland to see them and the parking ticket was more expensive than the concert)
Nine Inch Nails / Cold Cave (Berlin, 2nd row, with all my friends from my home town, just great)
Placebo
Death from above 1979 / Greys (driving there, for a long time we had a car with a plate number 1979 in front of us. If thats not coincidence I don`t know what is)
SoiL / American Head Charge / hed(pe) (teenage-nu-metal-dreams, check)
Chevelle / Black Map
Lamb / The Ramona Flowers (I was blown away by Lamb, Lou Rhodes is a goddess. Out of this world. Got a signed CD)

virushopper
12-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Failure - Saw them 5 times this year.
A Perfect Circle - Twice at Maynard's Party
Puscifer - Twice at Maynard's Party
Queens of the Stone Age - Final show of the tour
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Ghost B.C.
Deafheaven - Saw them twice this year.
Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden - Saw it 3 times.
Ariel Pink - Final show of the year for me.
Tool

WorzelG
12-17-2014, 10:38 AM
I've had a run of really slow gig years.
This year I saw NIN 3 times in May, Human League in December and I was supposed to see Culture Club / Boy George last weekend but it was cancelled. And that's it

tfang
12-17-2014, 07:14 PM
NIN/Soundgarden x3

Gary Numnan

Tori Amos

Echo and the Bunnymen

Dandy Warhols

Tobacco

Liv Warfield

Kraftwerk

Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger

The Faint

The Cure (enroute right now)

Rubeninphoenix
12-17-2014, 07:53 PM
NIN

QOTSA

Fleetwood Mac

Swykk
12-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Nine Inch Nails
Slowdive
The Birthday Massacre

Calla lily
12-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Collective Soul, Ed Kowalczyk
Kiss and Def Leppard (took my 12 year old son to this)
Filter, Helmet and Local H
Linkin Park, Thirty Seconds To Mars, AFI
Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden
The Offspring, Bad Religion, Pennywise, Stiff Little Fingers
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Steve Winwood
Fuel
Puddle of Mudd

ManBurning
12-18-2014, 03:31 PM
I didn't see much this year either...

Skinny Puppy x2 (2 different tours February and December)
NIN/SG
Pemberton Festival (NIN, Soundgarden, Snoop Dogg, Fucked Up, TV on the Radio, Deadmau5, RL Grime, Sloan, etc...)
Trust
Tom Petty

And... I think that's it.

Bought tickets to the NIN/SG show in Toronto and didn't show up for it as plans changed when they announced the west coast dates later. (probably one of the worst purchases of the year).

wizfan
12-18-2014, 03:33 PM
I went to a festival here in Greece and saw Son Lux, Lee "Scratch" Perry, The Bug + Flowdan, Swans and Simian Mobile Disco. Loved every second of it.

richardp
12-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Top five for me, out of the 20 or so shows I saw this year, were:

1. Pitchfork Fest (highlights being Slowdive, Tune Yards, St. Vincent, and Kendrick Lamar)
2. Arcade Fire w/ Tune Yards
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
4. Justin Timberlake

And a tie for fifth place with:
5. Jack White
5. Gary Numan w/ Big Black Delta

Al_Hunter
12-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Nine Inch Nails
Mastodon
The Knife
Gary Numan
Tesseract
UK Tech Fest [my interest in this scene is dying, the lineup for next years festival looks pretty dull to me]

These were pretty much my highlights, I can't recall seeing anyone else which is weird, I'm sure I must have done but can't recall.

hologram parade
12-19-2014, 03:47 PM
QOTSA (front row, met band, got set list and 2 albums signed)
Chelsea Wolfe (front row, met band, got album signed and hand written set list)
NMH (met band, got album signed, front row, got jeffs setlist and they bought me hot choc while i waited in line all day because it was below freezing. great people!)
Elf Power (front row)
DARKSIDE (front row, met band and got a album signed)
High Water (front row and met band (him)
Agnes Obel (met band and got 2 albums and setlist signed)
The Knife (front row, met band and got album signed)

blackholesun
12-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Only made it to 3 shows this year, besides shows I played on or friend's bands. My first year since 2009 that I haven't been to at least a dozen.

Russian Circles, KEN Mode, Helms Alee
Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby
American Football, The Dodos

I want to make it out to more next year.

jessamineny
12-19-2014, 05:05 PM
NMH (met band, got album signed, front row, got jeffs setlist and they bought me hot choc while i waited in line all day because it was below freezing. great people!)
Elf Power (front row)
DARKSIDE (front row, met band and got a album signed)
High Water (front row and met band (him)
Agnes Obel (met band and got 2 albums and setlist signed)
The Knife (front row, met band and got album signed)

Do you just camp out at the buses after the shows, or are you that charming and/or hot? :D

pwing47
12-19-2014, 05:29 PM

Do you just camp out at the buses after the shows, or are you that charming and/or hot? :D

I met him in line at the QotSA show and he's definitely a cool dude! Haha, somehow this guy is basically just a pro at meeting band members, getting stuff signed, and just being awesome in general I guess.

That's crazy how many other bands you managed to meet this year -- nice work!

dlb
12-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Got to see about 25 shows this year and a lot of bands (not counting friend's bands and locals)... Quite a good year actually with lots of surprises and bands I wouldn't have seen if it weren't for new friends I made this year. Not so many of my favorite bands though but NIN at least. My highlights were:

NIN 2x (Berlin and London)
Death from Above 1979
the National
Doomriders & Beastmilk
Triggerfinger
Steel Panther
...and you will know us by the Trail of Dead
Rival Sons
Augustines
and yes, Scooter for the fuck of it! :D

Other bands I've seen this year:
John Garcia
Einstürzende Neubauten
King Buzzo
FM Belfast
Monster Magnet
Archie Bronson Outfit
Warpaint
Gary Clark Jr
Red Fang
Whomadewho
Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft
Slut

frankie teardrop
12-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft

nice. how were d.a.f. in this day and age?

thelastdisciple
12-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Gary Numan and Metric.

That's it, that's all.

dlb
12-21-2014, 04:41 PM
nice. how were d.a.f. in this day and age?

well, that night was special. As someone who liked their last album (fuck, 2003, was it?) a lot the show was definitely enjoyable as they pretty much stayed true to that sound. On the other hand one might argue that they are past their date of expiry. The show was a lot of fun though and the atmosphere was quite unique. It may not have been a musical revelation, but I really felt inspired after seeing those two guys getting the crowd going and producing a lot of sound with barely any equippement on stage. Of course they played all of their hits but altered some of them to fit the mood up to the point were you could call them a remix.

it may not be their prime anymore and also their fans have gotten older but I enjoyed it a lot and would definitely go and see them again if I can. Not my typical style of music but a very cool show to witness! ;)

Exocet
12-21-2014, 05:30 PM
I saw Kate Bush in September, her first shows since 1979. She did something very different, was like a theatre production. Felt very lucky to have witnessed her.

But best gig was...Jesus and Mary Chain peforming Psychocandy was just amazing. If you like the band, you will know that with their history its like two different bands the early years they were very extreme, noisy violent, riots at their shows, and had immense influence on Trent Reznor NIN just about every guitar band since. Then they mellowed out turned into a different band. Lost a lot of fans. They were something very different. Seen them before and they were okish, but these psychocandy shows were like watching a different band. It was fucking exhillarating, so loud almost violent gig people going nuts. it was like this version of the band had not played live since 1986. They are in their 50s now, but you would never know it hearing them live. just awesome.

frankie teardrop
12-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I saw Kate Bush in September, her first shows since 1979. She did something very different, was like a theatre production. Felt very lucky to have witnessed her.

But best gig was...Jesus and Mary Chain peforming Psychocandy was just amazing. If you like the band, you will know that with their history its like two different bands the early years they were very extreme, noisy violent, riots at their shows, and had immense influence on Trent Reznor NIN just about every guitar band since. Then they mellowed out turned into a different band. Lost a lot of fans. They were something very different. Seen them before and they were okish, but these psychocandy shows were like watching a different band. It was fucking exhillarating, so loud almost violent gig people going nuts. it was like this version of the band had not played live since 1986. They are in their 50s now, but you would never know it hearing them live. just awesome.

very jealous of that kate bush show. and very happy to hear about the mary chain gig... i saw them on their first go around since reuniting and it was one of the biggest disappointments i've ever seen. there was no energy, no sense of urgency, and a lot of general malaise despite a great setlist. they were pretty awful and probably the worst show i've seen by a band i love. VERY happy to hear this, it makes me want to see them again if they ever make it back to the states, especially if they take this tour overseas. darklands is actually my preferred mary chain record, but i would kill to see this incarnation of the band...

Exocet
12-21-2014, 09:52 PM
very jealous of that kate bush show. and very happy to hear about the mary chain gig... i saw them on their first go around since reuniting and it was one of the biggest disappointments i've ever seen. there was no energy, no sense of urgency, and a lot of general malaise despite a great setlist. they were pretty awful and probably the worst show i've seen by a band i love. VERY happy to hear this, it makes me want to see them again if they ever make it back to the states, especially if they take this tour overseas. darklands is actually my preferred mary chain record, but i would kill to see this incarnation of the band...

These recent 2014 Psychocandy shows are noise gigs, emphasis on the art of noise. Thats what blew me away here. And its what sent the audience ( a mix of middle aged men, and younger generation) crazy everyone was behaving like they were on methamphetemine in the audience. Crazy lol. They played tracks like Upside Down, Living End, Taste the Floor, In a Hole at full blast. i hate bands that turn up the volume to try and be hardcore, and act like they are being all arty, to cover up their average songs, but when its done right its phenomenal.
It was My Bloody Valentine like loud here. I always prefered the Mary Chains songs to them, so the effect was an even better experience

When i saw them back in 2007 they were a subdued rock n roll band, everyone just stood there acting cool, nothing wrong with that, but..there was no volume at the shows. It was rather quiet. And the shows felt rather irrelevant and whatever. These shows felt vital, they had a new sound system with them.
i was skeptical prior to gig, i usually hate it when old bands fail to live up to past glories at reformation shows, but this was one of those where it was just amazing. A must see if they tour the states!

hologram parade
12-22-2014, 10:56 AM
I met him in line at the QotSA show and he's definitely a cool dude! Haha, somehow this guy is basically just a pro at meeting band members, getting stuff signed, and just being awesome in general I guess.

That's crazy how many other bands you managed to meet this year -- nice work!

i have terrible anxiety and showing up to a venue very early and getting used to my surroundings came instinctually. i buy tickets to bands i love very much but become too anxious to go. unused tickets for health, daniel rossen, beach house, grizzly bear etc etc so when i actually am brave enough to go in the real outside world with 1000s of people in a city somewhere in the midwest i really try to make the most of it. concerts are by far the most social thing i do. i learned quickly that nervously showing up early led to meeting some cool musicians, and getting to spend time with like minded, interesting and awesome people while waiting in line for shows (like the guy above). 2014 was the busiest music year for me to date with the amount of show i went to and music purchased.

pwing47
12-22-2014, 02:49 PM
i have terrible anxiety and showing up to a venue very early and getting used to my surroundings came instinctually. i buy tickets to bands i love very much but become too anxious to go. unused tickets for health, daniel rossen, beach house, grizzly bear etc etc so when i actually am brave enough to go in the real outside world with 1000s of people in a city somewhere in the midwest i really try to make the most of it. concerts are by far the most social thing i do. i learned quickly that nervously showing up early led to meeting some cool musicians, and getting to spend time with like minded, interesting and awesome people while waiting in line for shows (like the guy above). 2014 was the busiest music year for me to date with the amount of show i went to and music purchased.

I tend to get very anxious in new environments/big crowds/big cities, too. I learned this year that heavy showgoing has started to strip away that part of my brain, I think; not sure if it's just being around cool ppl all the time, forcing myself to be exposed to new and strange places, etc, or what.

Anyway, my point is that I totally feel you and I've noticed that the people toward the front of the line tend to be the smartest/coolest/most interesting/the ones really worth talking to (I betthat would be the majority of the NIN crowd on this forum, especially in a NIN line). In 50+ shows this year, it's almost always been the case; just a weird pattern I picked up on. But yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

Hopefully we'll get to rock out together at a show again sometime soon. It's really fun meeting ETSers, especially at non-NIN shows.

pwing47
12-22-2014, 06:29 PM
NIN
QOTSA
Fleetwood Mac

This pretty much sounds like a flawless year of showgoing.

Gary Numan and Metric.
That's it, that's all.

This pretty much sounds like a flawless year of showgoing.

Charmingly Miserable
12-22-2014, 07:03 PM
NIN/SG (2x)
Run the Jewels
I also caught a bit of fka Twigs at a Coachella pool party

RTJ has to be by far in the top 3 favorite concerts ever.

allegro
12-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Besides the CSO, we cut way back this year as crowded concerts now mostly make me want to punch people.

James Taylor at Ravinia (yawn)
Crosby Stills and Nash at Ravinia (yawn)
Billy Corgan at Ravinia
King Crimson at the Vic
Ahmad Jamal at the Symphony Center
Garth Brooks at the Allstate Arena

Of all of them, Garth Brooks was most fun.

icecream
12-30-2014, 01:46 AM
Spent most of my extra cash to go to Pemberton. It was totally worth it though. Saw NIN/SG, Frank Ocean, St. Vincent, Cage the Elephant, Best Coast, Flaming Lips, Outkast, Modest Mouse, Chance the Rapper and Dan Deacon. Also Jack White at a different event. Jack White and St. Vincent would have to be the top, both very different but breathtaking shows. Frank Ocean had a really chill vibe to his show, everyone in the crowd felt in harmony. It was cool to finally see NIN's 2013 festival show .
Went into Cage the Elephant not really knowing who they were and ended up blown away. This was my second Flaming Lips show and they only played 3 or so songs that they played the first time I saw them. It was also really cool to see Outkast, who I thought I'd never see.

elevenism
01-01-2015, 07:37 AM
@icecream (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3915) , i saw outkast twice, back when they didn't hate each other and it wasn't painfully obvious that andre didn't want to be there.

What the fuck happened to outkast?
Andre has admitted that the tour was a cash grab. (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/andre-3000-felt-sellout-outkast-reunion-tour-article-1.2034805)

I was SO FUCKING EXCITED when i heard about the tour. I thought they were back, we were in for a new album...the whole nine yards. but when i watched them at coachella, i could tell something was wrong. The long solo portions of the the show, and just the whole vibe of the thing.

It's a damn crying shame for the greatest hip hop act of all time.

This is one of those things where you should have been born earlier.
You would have fucking LOVED seeing Kast in 98.

Don't get me wrong, man, i would have LOVED to have seen a show on this tour.

I went to zero concerts in 2014. In fact, i haven't been to a fucking show since like 2011.
I've PLAYED shows.

icecream
01-01-2015, 10:22 AM
@icecream (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3915) , i saw outkast twice, back when they didn't hate each other and it wasn't painfully obvious that andre didn't want to be there.

What the fuck happened to outkast?
Andre has admitted that the tour was a cash grab. (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/andre-3000-felt-sellout-outkast-reunion-tour-article-1.2034805)

I was SO FUCKING EXCITED when i heard about the tour. I thought they were back, we were in for a new album...the whole nine yards. but when i watched them at coachella, i could tell something was wrong. The long solo portions of the the show, and just the whole vibe of the thing.

It's a damn crying shame for the greatest hip hop act of all time.

This is one of those things where you should have been born earlier.
You would have fucking LOVED seeing Kast in 98.

Don't get me wrong, man, i would have LOVED to have seen a show on this tour.

I went to zero concerts in 2014. In fact, i haven't been to a fucking show since like 2011.
I've PLAYED shows.
Seeing them back in the day would have been awesome.

I didn't watch the Coachella stream but I heard it was bad/ people weren't happy. But I think as the tour went on they must have gained some chemistry again because the one I went to was a lot of fun. Yes, they did have the 3 song or so solo segment each. But, they were playing stuff off the last album which was essentially two solo albums sold together to max sales. Andre wore a tag at the concert that said, "sold" so he was obviously in it for the money as he has said many times but it didn't ruin the show for me. Both sides win, younger fans who weren't even or just being born when Outkast was starting out got to see them and the group made a shit load of money.

I think from the start they said it wasn't a reunion and there won't be more albums. Just a one off global tour for the 20th anniversary.

I didn't see much this year either...
Skinny Puppy x2 (2 different tours February and December)

Was one of those with Youth Code?

ManBurning
01-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Was one of those with Youth Code?

Yes and No... Youth Code wasn't allowed to cross the boarder into Canada. So, they were supposed to be on the bill, but couldn't make it.
It was Haujobb, Front Line Assembly and Skinny Puppy.

icecream
01-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Yes and No... Youth Code wasn't allowed to cross the boarder into Canada. So, they were supposed to be on the bill, but couldn't make it.
It was Haujobb, Front Line Assembly and Skinny Puppy.
That's too bad. They are one of my favorite newer acts. Now I don't feel as bad for not being able to make it. I wonder what the reason was? Setlistfm shows they played in Toronto on that tour.

ManBurning
01-01-2015, 11:08 PM
That's too bad. They are one of my favorite newer acts. Now I don't feel as bad for not being able to make it. I wonder what the reason was? Setlistfm shows they played in Toronto on that tour.

Boarder security on the west coast having a bad day? I donno... But it's interesting, because when Youth Code was announced as an opening act, a lot of the comments were like "But they aren't allowed into Canada, yet you have 3 Canadian dates... who's going to open in their place" which really made me question, "why are they now allowed in Canada" hmm... Couldn't find anything about it. But you're right, they were able to cross in the East for Toronto and Montreal, but were denied west. Very interesting...

icecream
01-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Boarder security on the west coast having a bad day?
Checked their FB page and they said something along those lines. My guess would be minor criminal record and it's up to the individual guard to decide if they get in. I really have no idea about how that shit works though.