PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts...have you seen one?

elevenism
10-29-2014, 05:28 AM
People are going to facepalm me here, i know, but i don't care.
I believe in ghosts, and i've seen 'em, goddamnit.

I can't say for certainty what they are. One of the ghosts seems to only be able to do one thing...walk from the hallway back towards my bedroom. This part of the house was built as a place for my great grandfather to spend his final days and die, so i think it's him. But i don't think that it's sentient. I think, rather, that it's some sort of anomaly in the space-time continuum...a memory of the house, if you will. I have no doubt in my mind that the ghost phenomenon will be explained one day, that physical evidence will come to light and "ghosts" will make perfect sense, be they wandering spirits, glitches in temporal perception, or visions of alternate dimensions.

I have seen this particular "ghost" at least 25 or 30 times.

I have several other ghost stories...i believe that i must be "sensitive" to them. I will share more if you share yours.

I KNOW some of you have seen ghosts.
People will laugh at this, but fuck 'em. I'm saying that in advance.

So if you have REALLY seen a ghost, tell the tale!

Happy Halloween, ETS.

eversonpoe
10-29-2014, 08:42 AM
i think ghosts are simply remnants of energy left behind after people die. we're all made of energy and it has to go somewhere (and it sure as shit isn't "heaven"). i think that when we die and our energy isn't properly dispersed among the rest of the universe, it can remain concentrated in one place. thus: ghosts.

allegro
10-29-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm totally addicted to "Long Island Medium" (Theresa Caputo) and "Angels Among Us" (Rosie Cepero). I've read Theresa Caputo's Book, "There's More to Life Than This." Rosie Cepero, in particular, has a very compelling talent. I don't believe in what we call "ghosts" but, instead, "spirits" or the energy of our former souls or lives that were on this earth or realm or plane of existence? Some of it is scary, for sure; Theresa Caputo has an "agreement" with "spirit" that she will communicate messages ONLY if they are not negative and that no "bad" spirit comes through; the good spirits "protect" her. It evidently has not always been a good "gift" for her; she is plagued with anxiety, these spirits follower her friggin' everywhere, it never lets up.

Edit: my dentist HATES this woman, thinks she is TOTALLY full of shit, lol. I admit that it is just fun to watch and maybe wishful thinking that these people with lost loved ones get "closure."

I personally saw what could possibly be a "spirit" once; not a great experience, a bright light, a longish tall apparition near my bed in the middle of the night not long after my grandfather died, I never hope to see or experience anything like it again, no thanks.

henryeatscereal
10-29-2014, 02:30 PM
My grandmother claimed she talked to the ghost of my grandfather many times at night, i never saw him but i wanted to in a way (and didn't wanted to in another way...), not surprised she said that they were together for almost 60 years...

Ryan
10-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Yes, I have seen Tool's recent output since 2005.

Timinator
10-29-2014, 11:44 PM
<rain on ghost parade>
I have never seen a ghost. I'm certain they don't exist. Here's why:

There's nothing in our understanding of science that hints at a possibility, let alone likelihood, of ghosts. However, science does show that we make mistakes (http://www.csicop.org/si/show/eyewitness_to_the_paranormal_the_experimental_psyc hology_of_the_unexplained/). Human sensory input is remarkably fallible. We often see, hear, and feel things incorrectly, or sense things that aren't there. Most of us create complete, believable reality simulations in our brain every night.

The persistent existence of humans is something that many of us, as humans, would desperately want to be true. Psychology is strong (http://scienceblogs.com/mixingmemory/2007/02/28/ghosts/).

Given the number of people that exist and have ever lived, ghost sightings are extremely rare.

There is, therefore, already a complete explanation for why people think they see ghosts, and no explanation for why they might be real. Occam's Razor.
</rain on ghost parade>

elevenism
10-30-2014, 02:17 AM
i think that what eversonpoe said is a possibility.

But i'm also really attracted to the idea of interdimensional "bleedthrough."

I'm going to out myself on having done something really stupid to make a point, Timinator .

Back in 06 or so i got spun on ice for a little while, and i had a couple of episodes of amphetimine psychosis where i saw...i mean SAW...things that weren't there....not out of the corner of my eye...saw them and walked around them 360 degrees...hell, had conversations with people who weren't there.

So yes, the brain is AMAZINGLY powerful and human perception is INSANELY fallable. Those episodes scared the ever living shit out of me in terms of what's there and what isn't, what's REAL and what isn't, and caused me to always question.

I've also had such extensive experience with various kinds of entities, however, and know others who have had the same experiences, to know that there is SOMETHING there.

Hell, Michio Kaku says that there are invisible time travelers all around us and he's one of the best minds we've got. (i kind of doubt that, but still ;) )

When you get right down to it, we know very little of the nature of our consciousness, the nature of reality, who WE are, what ANYTHING is...
there are still massive, basic mysteries that we just don't think about from day to day.

So i don't think that it's so easy to write ghosts off, whatever the fuck they are.

allegro
10-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Tim can write off anything, cause he's no fun lol.

elevenism
10-30-2014, 10:19 AM
This house, the house my grandfather built, is so insanely haunted.
When my parents first brought my brother and i here as children, we felt it so intensely that we wanted to sleep outside...no shit.

Over the years there have been countless phenomena, from smells to drops in temperature to objects moving by themselves.
I've seen SO many "spirits" here. An old ets friend, mica, helped me to get over the fear.
Now the whole thing is insanely interesting to me. Through her guidance, i've even managed to get a pretty chilling evp.

The creepiest thing is when two people hear... and especially see...the same thing.
For instance, my wife noticed me staring into the bathroom the other day with a concerned look on my face. She asked me what it was and i said nothing. (a shadow of a person had appeared on the bathroom door.)

She then said "is it a shadow of a man on the door? i've been seeing it on and off for about three weeks."

I know they're there...what i DON'T know is what they are. I certainly hope that we aren't sentient and earthbound in any sort of afterlife that may exist.

As far as the afterlife goes, i believe that it's not that bad, whatever it is. I do believe in a creator and i don't believe in eternal torment.

I could talk all day about this stuff, especially this time of year, but i will write a dissertation instead of a post. :)

allegro
10-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Have you tried smudging (http://www.nativeamericanresearch.org/smudging.html)?

marodi
10-30-2014, 11:44 AM
I've seen relatives after they had died. For 2 1/2 years, back in the 80s, we experienced in our home a lot of poltergeist-like activity. It scared the living shit out of me. Almost 30 years later, I still have nightmares about it.

It doesn't upset me if people don't believe me when I tell them what I've seen; it's their absolute right after all. And I don't need them to believe me either: I know what I've been through. Most of it doesn't have a rational explanation. And I'm a very rational person.

DF118
10-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I saw a ghost, recently.

Actually, it was giant, man-sized spider.

But then I realized that @Timinator (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=258) is right, because ghosts and monsters don't exist.

Boy, did I feel like a moronic, superstitious simpleton then!

People build an interpretation of the world around them- it's not the world around them though. It can't be, because we have to translate that world into something we can process biologically. So if someone is challenged by a psychological blind spot, they construct, to fill in the gaps.

Fairly recently, I had very little sleep for around a week straight (partly because of work, partly because of fairly cathartic partying in-between self destructive bouts of work). When I eventually started to shut down and fall asleep- I became convinced I saw a man-sized spider climbing along the ceiling, coming to eat me.

While very frightening, I was in fact, so tired I was tripping balls.

Take a pinch of mass hysteria, a slice of the human brain being one pattern-matching machine, a spoonful of instinctive, evolutionarily advantageous fear of what may-or-may not be hiding under the bed (otherwise known as "mortal fear of death")... and you have ghosts.

See also: believing in God.

Edit: and Confirmation Bias.

allegro
10-30-2014, 05:10 PM
YOU have OBVIOUSLY never played with a ouija board, dude. Or, better yet, hand-made ouija made of an upside-down wine glass on a table (glass is a better "conductor," allegedly). I've done it, will NEVER do THAT again, no thanks.

(Also, you're no fun, pttttthht)

tony.parente
10-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Passionate naysayer checking in, representing the opposite side.

Pillfred
10-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Once when i was a kid i saw something head towards the basement of my grandmas house at the bottom of some steps that lead out to the garage door from inside. This was midlle of the day just after i had gotten home from school maybe 4 p.m. I can't say for sure if this is when going down there started scaring the shit out of me or before i just remember never liking to be down there alone. Even at 16 when i was back there for my sisters wedding i went down there middle of the day again and it still creeped me out. It was around that time i was talking with my sister and some of her friends trading ghost stories and i mentioned this and she told me that she had seen the same thing before as she used to sleep down there. I had initially thought she was perhaps fucking with me but she swears she wasn't. I even asked my mom about it once and she said one time she saw the same sort of smokey like figure one night herself. That would be the one time i think i have seen a ghost.

Now after having done a fair bit of acid, pushing my limits sleep wise etc i could see how perhaps it could have been my mind playing tricks on me. I still think it was a legitimate thing, maybe not a ghost per se but something. One minute i was tinkering with my toys, i look over and boom. Too counter the cold rationality of Tim and other science minded individuals, while i don't outright disagree i presume that train of logic is based generally on a western scientific idea of nature and physics. There are, and certainly have been many other cultures who very much believe in such things. Some of that could be discounted by western science but if perception is reality than too many peoples and cultures ghosts and things of this nature have been and I'm sure still are a very real occurrence and a definite part of their daily lives.

Louie_Cypher
10-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Ouija board story: A few years back we were set to host a Halloween dinner party. I decided to do Ouija board place-mats. I got the first one done and showed it to my S.O. at the time. She dropped it like it shocked her on the dinning room table and said, "That's too whitchy".
We had these glass vases with polished black stones in the bottom kind of like these http://www.cb2.com/black-river-stones/f4540 When she tossed the place-mat one of the vases broke and the stones went spilling across the table, even though the place-mat never touched the vase. Here is the freaky part some of the stones landed on the Ouija board, The letters and numbers TVC15 and Goodbye, just then guess what plays on the random playlist, David Bowie's TCV15. Well the place-mats were scrapped and although not due to this incident our relationship went downhill from there. As the old saying goes "Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball"
-Louie

butter_hole
10-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Theresa Caputo
WHAT is UP with her HAIR

http://www.theresacaputo.com/photos/

is a complete lack of gravity considered supernatural?

allegro
10-30-2014, 06:50 PM
She uses so much hair spray, she probably has permanent lung damage.

Timinator
10-30-2014, 10:54 PM
We're all made of energy and it has to go somewhere (and it sure as shit isn't "heaven").i think that what @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) said is a possibility.It's true that the matter and energy we're made of is conserved. The matter lies there in the ground, and the energy is dissipated as heat. This is quite clear and has been proven and measured many times. Appealing to some other mystical "energy" just moves the make-believe pseudo-science line from ghosts to some other made-up thing.

But i'm also really attracted to the idea of interdimensional "bleedthrough."Do you see the wording and reasoning you just used there? This is really the crux of the problem. You're attracted to these ideas. They appeal to you. You want them to be true.

I've also had such extensive experience with various kinds of entities, however, and know others who have had the same experiences, to know that there is SOMETHING there.No, you haven't. You admitted that people can easily fool themselves. Just because you have a high frequency of fooling yourself doesn't prove anything. The fact is that the vast majority of people never see anything like ghosts. That's the frequency you should be looking at.

When you get right down to it, we know very little of the nature of our consciousness, the nature of reality, who WE are, what ANYTHING is...
there are still massive, basic mysteries that we just don't think about from day to day.We know more than you think. And there ARE lots of people - qualified people - looking into these mysteries every day. It astounds me when we happily leave material science or electronics or mechanical engineering to the pros but somehow feel that we're entitled to a professional-level opinion on cognitive science.

See also: believing in God.
Edit: and Confirmation Bias.Hear hear.

cold rationality of TimI actually get really pissed off when I see people refer to rationality as "cold". If saving millions of babies from lethal diseases, the Enlightenment, and the internet are cold, then I'm fucking frosty, baby.

western scientific idea of nature and physicsWe're not living in the 1800s anymore. Japan (http://cordis.europa.eu/news/rcn/122215_en.html), China (http://en.itar-tass.com/non-political/757452), India (http://www.outlookindia.com/news/article/Future-of-Science-Lies-in-India-China-Nobel-Laureate/865957), Indonesia (http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/news/indonesia-needs-world-class-rd-new-minister/), Turkey (http://www.worldbulletin.net/news/146708/turkish-girls-science-awards-spark-debate): the whole world increasingly believes in and utilises modern (not western) science. To think otherwise is perpetuating cultural myths and "noble savage" stereotypes.

if perception is realityIt ain't. See above.

Tim can write off anything, cause he's no fun lol.Someone misses me.

Ryan
10-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Life = death, and we may or may not do something interesting in between. The end.

elevenism
10-30-2014, 11:52 PM
It doesn't upset me if people don't believe me when I tell them what I've seen; it's their absolute right after all. And I don't need them to believe me either: I know what I've been through. Most of it doesn't have a rational explanation. And I'm a very rational person.

well said. i wish we had a LOVE button.

hell, i didn't want this thread to turn into an argument. but i kind of knew it would. oh well :)
@Timinator (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=258) , just out of curiosity, do you believe in the multiverse theory?
Theoretical physics opens the door for all KINDS of shit.

That's the last of it though. I'm not arguing. There are those of us, like @marodi (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=125) and myself, who have experienced paranormal things that fucked with us so badly that we might not want to even bring them up.

My family once found ourselves on some utterly terrifying, call the exorcist level shit...for about a month.
People like us can't be dissuaded.

Like i said, i'm really not sure WHAT these beings are...i just know that they are there.

Space Suicide
10-30-2014, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't say I believe in ghosts 100% but there is compelling photographic and video evidence that can prove as such.

As for my own experiences, I don't know it's so much as a ghost as it is a sense or acknowledgement of something being there when you're all alone. You know, that feeling you're being watched or there's a presence in the room? I've felt that several times in my life, none truly terrifying me to my wits end but lots of awkward situations when I feel as if I'm with someone and there's no one there. I've been alone 100% every time I've felt such a thing...it's powerful stuff. I believe in matter and energy never truly disappearing after someone has died either.

DF118
10-31-2014, 01:07 AM
well said. i wish we had a LOVE button.

hell, i didn't want this thread to turn into an argument. but i kind of knew it would. oh well :)
@Timinator (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=258) , just out of curiosity, do you believe in the multiverse theory?

Except that said shit that can often be tested, reproduced and measured. We know that quantum entanglement happens, because we can observe its effects. From this, we can interpret with some degree of correctness what's going on based on evidence- (waveform function being that evidence in this case). Hence we can build a testable model of reality. Which was how the many worlds interpretation was born.

Making up a scientific theory because you fancy it is absolutely the last thing you should ever do, because it leads to total bullshit.

elevenism
10-31-2014, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't say I believe in ghosts 100% but there is compelling photographic and video evidence that can prove as such.

As for my own experiences, I don't know it's so much as a ghost as it is a sense or acknowledgement of something being there when you're all alone. You know, that feeling you're being watched or there's a presence in the room? I've felt that several times in my life, none truly terrifying me to my wits end but lots of awkward situations when I feel as if I'm with someone and there's no one there. I've been alone 100% every time I've felt such a thing...it's powerful stuff. I believe in matter and energy never truly disappearing after someone has died either.

the matter DAMN sure doesn't...worm food and such, you know? Plant fertilizer.
But the energy, that for me is the big question.

I worked as a cna taking care of people in nursing homes (and hospitals, albeit less frequently,) and have been around lots and lots of death.
Once, i became fairly close to a youngish black woman who was having a VERY rough go of it dying from cancer. But her spirit and dignity were SO powerful.
Of course, one morning she died. Word hadn't got back to the kitchen so they sent her a breakfast tray. You've seen those carts on which you can roll trays, right?

Well, i was passing her room, i was thinking "i better give xxxxxx her tray," and then thinking "no more trays, she's gone," with some sadness.

Right at that moment, the tray shot, and i mean SHOT...out of the cart. It didn't just fall off. I and the cart were standing still. The tray ejected with fucking FORCE and slid halfway down the hall.

This made me wonder if our energy can hang around for a little while perhaps...especially if we are conscious of the energy leaving the body, you know? And if it was her, i wonder if she was playful? Angry? Or god forbid, confused?
@Space Suicide (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=532) , can you turn me on to some of this "compelling evidence?"
I never know where to look for photos that are supposed to be real.

Edit: Ryan , but "ghosts" could be SO many things other than earthbound human spirits. I feel quite certain that as certain parts of theoretical physics become tangible, we will have a PHYSICAL explanation for many "supernatural" phenomena.
I don't believe in the supernatural exactly. It's all natural! There are just things that are still outside our realm of understanding.
For science to advance, we HAVE to be able to accept the impossible.

butter_hole
10-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Life = death, and we may or may not do something interesting in between. The end.
But is death............................................. ........................................ really the end?

allegro
10-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Someone misses me.

Except that said shit that can often be tested, reproduced and measured.

http://i.imgur.com/iHVPqYN.jpg

tony.parente
10-31-2014, 11:38 PM
Haha allegro can that PLEASE be your default reaction to stuff like this?

Also to stay on topic there has never been any legitimate proof without a shadow of a doubt proving ghosts or spirits exist, until there is scientific evidence I will always see the idea as fictional.

allegro
11-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Haha allegro can that PLEASE be your default reaction to stuff like this?

Also to stay on topic there has never been any legitimate proof without a shadow of a doubt proving ghosts or spirits exist, until there is scientific evidence I will always see the idea as fictional.

No, the TOPIC is: "have you seen a ghost?"

(if answer = "no" = skip this thread)

NOT the topic: refute the existence of ghosts (aka "trolling").

Another example:

Title of thread: "This Thread Is For Cat Lovers"

Trolling: "Cats suck." "I do not believe in cats." "Dogs rule."

tony.parente
11-01-2014, 12:46 AM
No, the TOPIC is: "have you seen a ghost?"

(if answer = "no" = skip this thread)

I answered the question, and I submitted my reasoning to why I feel as though they don't exist. I didn't insult or bash anyone who felt otherwise.

Timinator
11-01-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm not going to argue, because we don't agree on valid premises. I've said my piece. Return to your spoooooky thread.

If we were to argue, though, I would suggest that you not try to convince me using physics, whether theoretical or practical.

hobochic
11-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Hallucinations... have you had one?

slave2thewage
11-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Shut up and tell me ghost stories pls.

I saw my grandfather when he died. I was in Spain at the time. That was... odd.

marodi
11-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Shut up and tell me ghost stories pls.

I saw my grandfather when he died. I was in Spain at the time. That was... odd.

How about a poltergeist story from the days when my family dealt with one?

One day, I was sitting at the kitchen table, facing the stove. On the stove was a cast iron skillet; the kind you can bash someone's head in with. I saw the skillet lift off the stove (a good 6 inches) and fall back on it. It made one hell of a noise.

I still count myself lucky not having it thrown at me.

kel
01-06-2015, 04:00 PM
this may or may not be relevant in this thread, but ...

... a couple years ago my husband and i drove down to salt lake to see mgmt. the show was great, went and had a couple drinks after, then headed to the hotel monaco to crash.

now, let me preface this by saying that *ahem* we're not into kink, my husband and i. so imagine my utter confusion when i woke up with my belt wound around my neck, buckled and everything. and it was tight, too. i immediately woke him up in a big WTF kind of way. he had no clue as to how i woke up like that.

so, no, didn't "see" anything, but there's no logical explanation ...

The_Prowler
01-07-2015, 11:25 AM
I haven't seen an actual specter, but I have seen and heard some weird shit in my life.

The_Prowler
01-07-2015, 11:37 AM

... a couple years ago my husband and i drove down to salt lake to see mgmt. the show was great, went and had a couple drinks after, then headed to the hotel monaco to crash.

now, let me preface this by saying that *ahem* we're not into kink, my husband and i. so imagine my utter confusion when i woke up with my belt wound around my neck, buckled and everything. and it was tight, too. i immediately woke him up in a big WTF kind of way. he had no clue as to how i woke up like that.

I had a similar experience one night around seven or eight years ago. I went to bed (alone) completely fine, but when I woke up in the morning, my wrists were covered in scratches and cuts and dried blood. They weren't too deep, though; they looked worse than they were. But I had no idea where they came from and I still can't explain it. The only sharp object anywhere near my bed was a single, capped syringe for my insulin that would snap before actually causing a scratch. My bedside table didn't even have sharp corners and my arms couldn't reach the metal bed frame when I was laying down, and nothing within reach had any rough texture that could scratch your skin. So, yeah, no real world ideas as to how exactly it could have happened.
I still have one small scar on my right wrist from that night, too.

Edo
01-07-2015, 02:57 PM
I had a similar experience one night around seven or eight years ago. I went to bed (alone) completely fine, but when I woke up in the morning, my wrists were covered in scratches and cuts and dried blood.

when i woke up with my belt wound around my neck, buckled and everything. and it was tight, too. i immediately woke him up in a big WTF kind of way. he had no clue as to how i woke up like that.

Maybe you guys had been sleepwalking? I know, it's hard to believe, if you don't usually do that. But it's still one way to explain it, unless you're 100% sure it's not possible.

kel
01-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Maybe you guys had been sleepwalking? I know, it's hard to believe, if you don't usually do that. But it's still one way to explain it, unless you're 100% sure it's not possible.
i do sleepwalk, actually, but i have no coordination whatsoever and typically wake up as soon as i walk into a wall or stub my toe.

it was beyond bizarre and i'm as skeptical as they come. i dunno.

Ryan
01-07-2015, 05:57 PM
i do sleepwalk, actually, but i have no coordination whatsoever and typically wake up as soon as i walk into a wall or stub my toe.

it was beyond bizarre and i'm as skeptical as they come. i dunno.

Maybe be it was your subconscious telling you that you should actually try that shit out.

Jinsai
01-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Were either of you super wasted? I mean, that can happen, you go to a concert, you get fucked up, you wake up with a belt fastened around your neck...

r_k_f
01-07-2015, 06:24 PM
My daughter creeped my wife and myself out one time. We were leaving my in-laws one foggy night and were parked in the street. I put my hi-beams on to emphasize just how foggy it was, it was pretty crazy.. Right before we were about to pull away my daughter (4-5 at the time) said "that lady's wearing a pretty dress"... We were like "huh"? She said "right there in front of the car, a pretty dress from the olden days".. My wife said "Drive"..
Creeped me out.. She never mentioned it again..

allegro
01-07-2015, 06:29 PM
My daughter creeped my wife and myself out one time. We were leaving my in-laws one foggy night and were parked in the street. I put my hi-beams on to emphasize just how foggy it was, it was pretty crazy.. Right before we were about to pull away my daughter (4-5 at the time) said "that lady's wearing a pretty dress"... We were like "huh"? She said "right there in front of the car, a pretty dress from the olden days".. My wife said "Drive"..
Creeped me out.. She never mentioned it again..
Ohhhhhhhh WIN that is AWESOME.

Jinsai
01-07-2015, 07:48 PM
man, I love ghost stories and the concept of haunted houses. I'm not sure why, but it's my favorite sub-genre of horror.

Still, not sure if I believe in any of it, and I only saw something once that freaked me out. I was closing up in the karaoke bar I worked at, and I went into the kitchen to shut all the lights out. I felt this weird rush of wind, suddenly felt really cold, and... I think it was just my eyes adjusting to the light... but I saw this shadowy figure rush through the room. Scared the living shit out of me.

I told the other co-worker about it, and he said that he had seen stuff in the kitchen, and that it freaked him out. Apparently, a bunch of people were afraid of the kitchen for odd reasons. I thought they were fucking with me. Then, one of the co-workers told me about this photo taken of some customers singing on the karaoke stage, and they came back to share it, because there was this ghostly figure standing behind them.

The_Prowler
01-07-2015, 10:10 PM
It's always a possibility, but I've never sleepwalked before. I've never heard of anyone with no history of it doing it once and then never doing it again.

Jinsai
01-07-2015, 10:12 PM
It's always a possibility, but I've never sleepwalked before. I've never heard of anyone with no history of it doing it once and then never doing it again.

I've only sleepwalked once in my life. I blame the meds I was on.

elevenism
01-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Jinsai , it's not so hard for me to believe in.
and it MAY not even be supernatural...it may have something to do with the nature of time and/or space, you know?
i think that's more likely, in fact, than disembodied spirits.

that's damn sure my favorite genre of horror movie too btw.

The_Prowler
01-08-2015, 12:34 AM
I've only sleepwalked once in my life. I blame the meds I was on.
Only meds I've ever been on is insulin.

And like I said, I've seen some weird shit over the years. Doors unlocking, things moving, hearing distinct voices when no one else was around, lights in the sky that definitely weren't a plane or helicopter...

kel
01-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Were either of you super wasted? I mean, that can happen, you go to a concert, you get fucked up, you wake up with a belt fastened around your neck...
not at all. two or three drinks maybe (and in salt lake city where alcohol levels in cocktails are scaled back).

The_Prowler
01-20-2015, 09:41 AM
I saw the ghost of Gloria Gaynor last night. At first I was afraid; I was petrified.

theimage13
01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
I haven't seen one.

I did see 14, 19, and 21 in Worcester, though.

I'll see myself out now.

botley
01-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Not to crap on this old thread, but I just read through it (giving big ups to you skeptics) and I thought I'd weigh in.

Personally, I have had some weird personal experiences involving flashback-like hallucinations, déjà vu and the like. I have even had the vivid sensory experience (on sleep deprivation and edible hash oil) of my third eye opening and perceiving the inner workings of my body and mind as they occurred with utter clarity. I have had some limited experience with the ability to manipulate dreams lucidly.

I also work as a stagehand in old theatres across the city, which I've heard described as being among the most haunted places you can possibly go. Hell, we don't EVER leave a stage entirely dark when no one is there, and to avoid this we always set up a "ghost light" at the end of the day. Sure, it's primarily a safety precaution so no one bumps into things or falls, but c'mon.

ALL THAT SAID — I still have never seen a spectral presence that manifested itself visually, human or otherwise. Sure, weird shit goes wrong with equipment, and people routinely blame "the ghost", and I shrug and accept it. Whatever you want to believe is fine by me, as long as it doesn't impact my daily business.

What am I missing? Like Mulder, I want to believe. But believing is seeing and I ain't seen shit.

Sutekh
01-26-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't believe in ghosts, but one time I was brushing my teeth when I was about 7, and I saw a totally black silhouette of a humanoid figure walk behind me (i was looking in the mirror), and when I noticed it, it turned to face me. it was totally black and blurred around the edges. I turned around and there was nothing there

Now I don't believe in Ghosts as in spirits of dead people, simply because there's been so many people who've lived and died over the years, that you'd think they'd be absolutely everywhere and pretty much everyone would have seen one at some point, or one would have appeared at some event where thousands of people were in attendance. But nope. Also why no insect or animal ghosts? And why do they stay anchored to the planet - the Earth moves through space really quickly, are they anchored to the planet or something? Why do we never see them in space. Also no real film or photo proof at all, and given everyone has a cameraphone now, you'd think somebody would have something. To me this points to it being in the mind

So yeah, I do believe people can randomly see humanoid figures and as yet we don't really know why, as I've seen one myself, but they're probably not supernatural. I would be willing to believe they were time travellers or aliens using some kind of cloaking device before I believed they were the spirits of the dead

allegro
01-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Ghosts are supposedly spirits that haven't "crossed over" to the next plane of existence because they don't know they are dead, won't accept it or are drawn or kept here by some tragic circumstance. Once they cross over, they wait to be reincarnated back to this plane in a new life or, if their soul is fully developed, they stay on the other plane (moksha or nirvana). Animals are on the other side, and I do remember hearing stories of lost animal ghosts looking for their owners. We don't all "see" because we aren't all perceptive to that sense, or the spirit simply doesn't want us to see. People who are very perceptive say it's a cross between a gift and a curse and that spirits are, in fact, everywhere.

Also, there are lots and lots of photos of spirits. But proving that's what they are is the hard part.

Sutekh
01-27-2015, 06:43 AM
yeah but again, given how many billions of people have died, it's odd how so few of them reach ghost status. I mean there's been plenty of tragic circumstances... in fact I'm not so sure anyone had a particularly nice life up until about 2000 ish years ago, lol

allegro
01-27-2015, 07:04 AM
But they're basically the same people, recycled. Not ALL tragic circumstance people stay. Most go to be with their loved ones. And they come back as babies, as a new life, recycled. You're probably 50 people in one, at least. It's more efficient that way. And this planet is big enough for billions of living humans, why wouldn't it be big enough for a billion invisible tragic spirits? Just sayin'. Supposedly, though, spirits really don't WANT to permanently hang around here as spirits. It's not desirable. That'd get really fucking old. But, they're temporarily (relatively speaking) drawn to a specific geographic location due to that past life or they're "lost" and need help crossing over.

Spirits also can be people who have crossed over but who come back to visit or deliver a message to loved ones. Temporarily, of course.

Edit: this is, of course, not believed by everyone, and I don't always believe it, either, I go back-and-forth, but skepticism is for another thread, not this one.

theimage13
01-27-2015, 06:22 PM
I've had experiences that have made me seriously consider the possibility that someone who had passed was trying to communicate with me and mine. Don't really want to get into it though, as it's based around a passing that I don't really like to think about.

But in general, my thoughts on ghosts is "eh, who knows?" Our best and brightest minds will happily tell you that we still don't know the first thing about so much of the universe. So frankly, I don't find it completely unrealistic to believe that there could be something to ghosts. But I also won't tell you that I absolutely believe they exist.

I think that the unknown - in general - is full of fascinating stories, and quite often, I don't care if they turn out to be true or not.

GulDukat
03-15-2015, 06:28 PM
http://www.answers.com/article/1278342/woman-claims-mysterious-ghost-baby-photobombed-family-picture?paramt=1&param4=fb-us-de-money-hl&param1=everydaylife&param2=44690101&param5=10151977046566186&param6=44750501

Interesting.

ThinkIcouldburn
03-26-2015, 07:37 PM
There's an abandoned hospital for the mentally and physically disabled a couple miles away which I actively photograph and explore. If anywhere on earth is haunted, this place is. Only had one experience there which still has me confused. Was taking long exposure photographs on a snowy day and one of the photos looked like this. (http://www.pixoto.com/images-photography/buildings-and-architecture/other-interior/haunted-library-4873501244653568) It was a six second exposure, I took about 20 photos in that room and only one of them had something like this going on. I've never seen snow look like that, and it's falling from a hole in the roof and running about twenty feet from the hole to behind me.
First time I walked through there is a large metal door in the basement of the building I was in which caught the wind just right and slammed. At that time I took it as a "It's time to leave" message.
Feel free to take a look through other photos of that location on my website (shameless self promotion). (http://alfred-hess.com)

elevenism
04-01-2015, 06:10 PM
something has been fucking with me for the past three days.
i really, REALLY hope it goes away.

AvelineCyborg
04-01-2015, 06:49 PM
I've got a good story. I'm copying and pasting from facebook. This would have been really good to post for St. Patrick's Day but oh well. This happened on a full moon which can cause "extra activity" shall we say. :p I went with my family to a local Irish pub called Donovan's for dinner. We were getting ready to go but I had to go to the restroom first. After I get out of the stall I begin to approach the sink and something caught my eye. I back up and see what I think is a young girl hiding under the sink. Suddenly she says very firmly, "I'm fine!" in a surprisingly grownup sounding voice. Feeling put off I quickly wash my hands and get out of the restroom. I tell all my family what happened and my uncle then flags down our waitress telling her what I saw. She goes in there to check finding only my aunt who was in there about the same time I was washing her hands. Our waitress comes back to our table and says that she found no one under the sink. She then asks for my version of the events and I tell her and she remarks that "Oh you must have seen one of our leprechauns". Earlier I had read the restaurant's story in their menu and it mentioned something about them having having their own supposed personal leprechauns. What did I see? A leprechaun? A ghost? I don't know and I'm a bit freaked out honestly. I'll have you know that I was only under the influence of a pint of Guinness so take this as you will.

elevenism
04-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Feel free to take a look through other photos of that location on my website (shameless self promotion). (http://alfred-hess.com)

man i love your photos!

elevenism
05-02-2015, 04:41 AM
okay so this shit has happened to me more than once in my life and this is the latest episode.

the other night, i was talking to my mom. i was getting ready to walk down the hall into the living room and towards the other part of the house where my bedroom is (one hall leads off ht kitchen/iving room to my mom's shit, the other hall leads to ours.)
Okay. so as soon as i shut the door, i hear synth notes BLASTING, coming from the living room. i have a little sequencer and an amp in the living room. ive never plugged the sequencer into the amp, but that's what it sounded like...someone playing synth notes. It was very deliberate, and very loud.

No musical equipment was plugged in. my wife was in the other part of the house which is WAY the fuck on the other side, AND asleep without the tv on. No tv or radio was on, and even if it was, the only thing in my house capable of making a noise that loud is my line 6 amp (in the living room.)

SO. As usual, i'm a little scared, and for TWO reasons. One is the obvious, that SOMETHING supernatural is going on. The other (and if you have ever been confronted by true high strangeness like this, i imagine you'll know what i mean) is that i am questioning my sanity.
I tried to tell my mom about it but she barely paid attention, she thinks that i'm a "sensitive" and that only i can see and hear these things and probably secretly just thinks that i am fucking nuts.

But...the next night, i left her part of the house at about the same time. And she comes in my room all freaked out and said "tyler, did you play some synth notes in the living room REALLY loud right after you left my room?"

SHE FUCKING HEARD IT TOO.

now i'm not saying that this is the spirit of a dead person. in fact, i think it might be interdimensional. i just bought a cord to plug the synth into the amp a few days ago. what if, in a near dimension, i AM playing the synth, and there is a tiny little rip in the fabric between the dimensions, but enough for the sound to get out?

That's my theory.

If i told you people a fucking quarter of the shit that happens to me, you would all just think i'm crazy. hell, i would just think i was crazy too except for the things that are also experienced by people around me.

my wife and mother think it's ME, that I attract attention from "ghosts" or extra dimensional beings. I think it's mostly this house myself. i think that i DO have a little bit of enhanced perception...i used to exercise the shit out of it learning lucid dreaming and (what felt like) astral projection. i worked on this shit for years and now i think that i can probably perceive more things than most people.

but this fucking house. it's SOMETHING. there is SOMETHING here. it's been in the family since the 60s so of course a couple of people have died here. then there was my grandpa's VERY mysterious death which wasn't here but he's the one who had the house built. So maybe it's ghosts.
But i think that there is a tiny interdimensional vortex here.

I will say this. The first time my brother and i came here and had to spend the night (we were like 5 and 3,) we were both so terrified that we asked to be allowed to sleep OUTSIDE. we could fucking FEEL it.

and since moving in here 3 years ago i've had no fewer than 100 paranormal encounters. i don't know WHAT the fuck it is. i don't even know if i believe in ghosts in the traditional sense, but it's fucking something.

I'm rambling. There is one more thing i wanted to mention. THis "phantom music" phenomenon is not new. It's happened to me 7 or 8 times in my life. The first time i was about 11 and the rhodes piano in the next room was playing full fucking blast...except i was home by myself and the piano wasn't on.

Deepvoid
09-17-2016, 11:22 AM
I've been invited to participate in a paranormal investigation by an established ghost hunting team in Montreal.

This is gonna be my first time and I'm super excited.
We'll be investigating an old anglican church (http://www.quebec.anglican.org/Front%20page/Parishes%20congregations/St%20Francis%20Deanery/Compton.htm) built in the late 1880.
We'll also be investigatin a school, which I presumed is abandoned. Will let you how it went.

Deepvoid
09-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Super exhausted. Got home at 4 this morning.
The team I was with was super nice. They mostly focus on the history of the locations, which was super interesting.

Our first stop was the church. We didn't get any conclusive real-time evidence. There were the few instances of flash lights turning on and off by themselves. However, those weren't necessarily on cue and not combined with any other hits on a second device for confirmation. One thing is for sure, that church was creepy as shit. It was in poor conditions. The basement was filled with rubbles and pretty much looked like it was coming from the Blair Witch movie.

We moved to a closed school. Wasn't abandoned but it's been closed for 5 years now. That place was freaking huge. It was so neat to have such a huge building to ourselves. We got a small tour by the head of security who actually lives there right now. Guy was super nice and told us amazing first-hand accounts of some pretty creepy shit happening.
Unfortunately, it was getting late and with so many rooms to investigate, we could only focus on a few hot spots. I know the team will be going back soon and sleep there.
At the end of the night, the school was dead silent. We got absolutely nothing on any devices. No temperature fluctation, no pressure changes or EMF hits. No unexplained knocks or things bumping. The absolute silence was actually scarier.

We'll see if they caught anything on audio after they review all the data but I don't think that school was haunted. Still an amazing location though.

Overall, while I didn't witness anything paranormal, I still had an awesome time with some very nice people.

elevenism
10-05-2016, 06:59 AM
i hope to see the ghost of my kitty cat soon.

I wrote HE WILL RISE AGAIN on the inside of his little coffin box, and he was a black cat, and the 31st is just around the corner :P

dedevoce
03-11-2019, 04:19 PM
I didn't see this, but I think it still counts.

Last week, my cat Solomon died suddenly. For the last 10 years his mate has been my other kitty Sara. They were constantly playing and cuddling together like in this pic (Sol is the fluffy one) (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4cfuQg8Xu/). Since his death Sara has been mostly quiet and depressed, laying on the floor where they used to lay together. A couple of times, I've heard Solomon's sad yowl coming from the area right next to her. She's reacted too, lifting her head and looking around. :(:(

bRoot
03-24-2019, 06:22 AM
We must not talk about them spooky ghosts!

The topic doesn't have a body to stand on!

Good vibes and happy 'spirits' OP.

elevenism
03-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Bump bump.

Now that I'm a little older, I ALWAYS assume paranormal things that I see are in my head.

I now have a seizure disorder that causes me to see/hear/smell/think all kinds of weird shit. So, unless there's another witness, I figure it's just me these days (unfortunately.)