PDA

View Full Version : Constantine

Space Suicide
10-13-2014, 06:32 PM
No, not the shitty Keanu Reeves movie. The new NBC tv series that debuts October 24th! I am so eagerly awaiting it.

http://geek-prime.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Constantine-TV-show.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY

Microwave Jellyfish
10-13-2014, 07:00 PM
The pilot leaked a few months ago, if you can't wait till the 24th, although the actual aired version supposed to have a changed ending - the introduced female lead won't stay for the season, they will bring in Zed (graffiti girl from the Delano issues) as the co-star instead.

Speaking as a Hellblazer fan, it was alright. Nobody should expect a true, gritty adaptation on network TV these days - John can't smoke onscreen (he sort of does, and him being a smoker is established, but eh), swearing and gore is limited as well - and I do have my share of complaints, as both the writing and pacing could have been better, and with the addition of that "wild card" angel sidekick, Chas is once again totally re-invented, hardly resembling his comic book counterpart, but.

Matt Ryan nails the Constantine from the pages, the important back-story is there (the movie had an undeniable influence on the show when it comes to motivations, but the primary thing that makes JC tick s the Newcastle incident), the references to the Vertigo/DC universe are cool, most of the humor worked, and all in all it was decent ep, left me wanting more. I'll be watching.

october_midnight
10-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah the pilot was obviously better than the movie but still ok at best. Promising though.

Exocet
10-13-2014, 08:04 PM
One of the very best comics of all time, i know a lot of people who love this character but are skeptical of any adaptation, some of this looks good, i like the man playing John. seems odd they dont show him smoking his powerful addictions/alcoholism are quite a big theme in the comic. Hope they take risks, he was very complex explore his bisexuality, explore his evil side, hope they dont skirt over too much. It can go either way. They have very good material to work with.

kdrcraig
10-14-2014, 06:27 AM
I think I'm one of the few people on the planet that liked the movie so I'll probably love this show. Never read the comic

eversonpoe
10-14-2014, 08:51 AM
I think I'm one of the few people on the planet that liked the movie so I'll probably love this show. Never read the comic

no, i loved the movie! i realize it has its faults, but it has some golden moments, too. tilda swinton as gabriel? fuck yes. peter stormare as lucifer? FUCK YES. gavin rossdale? um...no thanks...

anyway, my friend Mac, who is a big fan of the comic, is really excited for the show, so that gives me hope.

Deepvoid
10-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Never read the comic. Barely remember the movie but the preview I saw for the show looked amazing.
Finally something to challenge Supernatural.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I happened to really like the movie. It has it's flaws, and I thin Keanu Reeves isn't as bad as an actor as people say but it has it's moments. Really intrigued by the show however.

orestes
10-15-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm disappointed they're erasing Constantine's bisexuality but I'll watch the pilot at least.

eversonpoe
10-15-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm disappointed they're erasing almost every character ever's bisexuality but I'll watch the pilot at least.

seriously, this is a thing that happens A LOT. and i don't get it.

Microwave Jellyfish
10-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Feel free to facepalm this, but I honestly think all the complaints related to the issue in this case are seriously blown out of proportion. As far as the source material goes, John's bi-sexuality is practically non-existent; it has been referred to two times during the 20 years/300 issues of Hellblazer. Hardly a defining character trait, and not once a real plot point.

Lately it has become incredibly trendy to have a feelgood bitching session about it, but if you're familiar with Constantine, this is not something that should bother you in the slightest. Fans generally don't give a crap.

On the other hand, turning Chas into a yank (with supernatural abilities) again...

orestes
10-15-2014, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't say his sexuality is nonexistent in the comics. There are a few issues where you see him getting out of bed with a man and Constantine has mentioned boyfriends in the past. It may not be important to you but representation matters.

orestes
10-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Is it bad that I can predict all the beats in the pilot episode?