PDA

View Full Version : Filter

Totally
12-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Love reading anything Pig says..

http://www.sfbayareaconcerts.com/2011/11/interview-with-richard-patrick-of.html?m=1

thefragile_jake
02-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Apparently there's a new record coming out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurney_and_the_Burning_Books

I stopped seriously listening and caring about these guys about the time I became a junior in high school, but I've always liked to keep an eye on what Dick does just because of his old ties to Trent and everything.

I did hear maybe a song or two off that last record three years ago. Didn't sound like it was music for me anymore. Is anyone still a big fan of these guys?....or just Richard in general?

RJK
02-26-2013, 06:39 AM
I saw them play a show in New York last year and they were solid. I will check out the new record for the simple fact that Jonny and Jeff from Ashes Divide are playing on it.

aggroculture
02-28-2013, 02:08 AM
Short Bus was awesome. Still is.
Title of Record was cool too: not as raw, but huge sounding instead.
Amalgamut kind of passed under the radar, but has some good songs in retrospect.
Anthems for the Damned was horrible: a bunch of syrupy, overproduced U2-isms.
I saw a video for The Trouble with Angels, and it was so bad I decided to pass.
Oh, and Army of Anyone was horrible too.
So let's say my faith in any new Filter material being good is pretty slim.

kdrcraig
02-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Yeah I like the first three albums a lot but Anthems was terrible. I went and saw them on that tour and enjoyed it because they only played like 2 songs from that and then a bunch of songs I wanted to hear. It was a good show and I was glad to get to see them once but I haven't bothered with anything they've done since.

spiralout
03-18-2013, 07:58 PM
http://loudwire.com/filter-new-album-the-sun-comes-out-tonight-june/

New album news. I'm looking forward to this album even more after hearing the new song.

Deepvoid
03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
I personally thought Trouble was amazing, especially coming out after two mediocre records.
This song isn't bad at all.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Trouble was a masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. There's not a song on it I don't like. Even the b-sides on the deluxe edition are great. ("Plume?" Uuuggghhh. So good.)

New song's alright, but I think it'll have to grow on me, just like "The Inevitable Relapse" did. I think I'll like the direction the new album's taking.

seasonsinthesky
03-18-2013, 10:15 PM
another example of Richard Patrick attempting to stay relevant by attacking the latest trends in pop music — not saying whether he's successful or not, or whether or not i like it, but i found the best songs on The Trouble With Angels were those that totally ignored trends and stuck to what Filter does best ("Clouds," say, or "No Re-Entry"). i'm looking forward to those songs on the new record too.

"We Hate..." has a really great bridge, though. that's grade A songwriting, kids!

Deepvoid
03-19-2013, 09:12 AM
"We Hate..." has a really great bridge, though. that's grade A songwriting, kids!

Considering this is not a Mozart thread...

thefragile_jake
03-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Listened to the song and the first thing it made me think of was random Linkin Park songs I've been sadly subjected to over the years and that made me laugh. Once I got over that, I realized what I posted earlier in the thread and that Richard just doesn't write music that appeals to me anymore really.

...then I sat myself down, motherfucker.

seasonsinthesky
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Considering this is not a Mozart thread...

Mozart wrote very few songs (about 30some of his many, many attributed works), but if he were around now, he might've shared my comment after knowing the state of pop music for the last several decades!

the bridge is the key to all great songs. it's the "next level" in songwriting. you don't need an awesome bridge for a good song, but you do for a great song. it's just... part of what we know of the pop music canon.

Deepvoid
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd rather have a kick ass chorus than a great bridge.

Still, we're talking about Filter here, so I don't care if it's grade A songwriting. If it rocks, if it's catchy in some sort of way, it's good in my book.

BrokenSpiral
03-29-2013, 12:30 PM
trent_reznor: My old friend richardpatrick brought his upcoming Filter record by my studio and we managed to blow up my new speakers with it.
trent_reznor: He is back in action and the record sounded great (before the speakers blew!) You can get a sample here: http://t.co/WYqQw0yJLl
trent_reznor: I forgot how funny that dude is.

thefragile_jake
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
I saw that today too, kind of random....

fillow
03-29-2013, 02:53 PM
I like how ETS engine treated BrokenSpiral's post

richardp
03-30-2013, 12:27 AM
God, I WISH I was Trent's old friend and was hanging out at his house listening to the new Filter album, even though I don't like Filter. It's nice to tell myself that Trent forgets how funny I am, though.

onthewall2983
03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Weren't they on the outs for a long time?

ZeroSum
04-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Last time I saw Filter as a headliner (also saw them open for Bush and Chevelle in '11) Richard name dropped Trent and Nine Inch Nails a few times. It was my understanding that Richard and Trent hated each other, but Richard referred to Trent as a friend and was very respectful about it. Before they played "Hey Man, Nice Shot" he talked about how he wanted the song to be a NIN song, but when Trent wouldn't allow it he decided to form Filter and it became a big hit, etc etc. He definitely seemed like he had bit of a chip on his shoulder about how no one really seems to give a shit about Filter anymore, but wanted to seem cool because he was brave enough to leave a band as huge and respected as NIN to do his own thing. Kept saying stuff about how Filter has always been an "underdog" band. I thought it was pretty funny, but it came off a lot less douchey than it could have because the band fucking tore it up. Excellent setlist, and Rich sounded awesome live. Really knows how to get the audience involved.

I'm actually seeing them next Thursday, and I'm pretty excited. I'm not a huge Filter fan, but Title of Record is a genuinely awesome, under appreciated record, and all of their other albums have some moments of greatness. Trouble with Angels was really solid too. I don't like either of the songs we have heard from the new one, unfortunately- "We Hate It" has an awesome bridge, but lacks just about everything else, and "What Do You Say" sounds kinda generic and has atrocious lyrics, even for Filter. But Trent's endorsement makes me hopeful that the rest of the album has stuff of merit. Hopefully I'll get to hear some of it next week! I'll let you guys know how it is. I'm also seeing HTDA that weekend, too, so seeing Trent and Rich back to back like that is pretty cool.... makes me want to look up old PHM tour stuff.

seasonsinthesky
04-10-2013, 08:13 PM
pretty much agree with everything you said, ZeroSum. RP is basically an enormous douche, with or without alcohol. thankfully, he's less douchey when he has good musicians around to spice up his music and let him scream something relevant instead of, say, filling up his public Facebook with gun control crap when his wife gets yelled at for their bumper sticker — at least he's got liberal opinions to be a douche about, i guess...

ZeroSum
04-20-2013, 05:58 PM
The Colorado Springs show was pretty solid... First show of this little mini tour they are doing before the Summerland Tour of washed up 90s alt rock bands. The Black Sheep is a bit of a dive, and it wasn't very full, but the band had lots of energy. Dick always seems so pissed off and on edge live, but he always performs well. Definitely was the case this time, though he was a little less vocal than the other time I saw them headline. Setlist was definitely focused on their heavier songs. All the obvious singles were played, and sounded great in the live setting. "Under" and "Dose" were the highlights. They really tore those up, and extended them. They also played the two new songs we have heard so far, and they were good live. Dick kept apologizing for fucking them up, but I thought they sounded great. I think "What Do You Say" is pretty fucking bad honestly, but it was fun live. Band closed with "So I Quit" which broke down into a mini-cover of War Pigs... which was fucking sweet. Oh, and Jeff Friedl is a fucking awesome drummer. Sweet show for 20 bucks, It's always interesting to see what Dick is up to, but this band seems super small time now... It seems like they have an identity crisis in a way, like they aren't really sure who they should try and appeal to. They seem to cater to this trashy, generic hard rock crowd but I think they have a little more depth than that. It's weird to think that this was a band that has two platinum records in their past with the way they are now. Not meaning to shit talk, I enjoyed the show and will give the new record a fair share of spins I'm sure, but it's just a weird situation.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
It seems like they have an identity crisis in a way, like they aren't really sure who they should try and appeal to. They seem to cater to this trashy, generic hard rock crowd but I think they have a little more depth than that. It's weird to think that this was a band that has two platinum records in their past with the way they are now. Not meaning to shit talk, I enjoyed the show and will give the new record a fair share of spins I'm sure, but it's just a weird situation.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I really enjoyed The Trouble with Angels, and with this new album....I dunno. The two songs we've heard so far seem kind of shallow and insecure, like they're trying more to fit in than to evolve. I'll reserve judgement for when the album's out, but I'm less impressed than I have been so far.

Their live shows ARE pretty fun, though, and Richard's a cool dude. I think he just needs a little bit of inspiration to push him into some new territory. But who knows, we might even get that on the new record after all.

ZeroSum
04-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I mean, the fact that Trent gave the new album his praises is the only thing really giving me hope for the new record right now. You're very right about the new songs seeming shallow and insecure... Once again, they were enjoyable live, but a lot that was because 1. The band gave them a lot of extra energy and excitement, and 2. I was hammered. As actual songs, they're very unimpressive. No real depth whatsoever- Just some loud, driving riffs that don't really distinguish them as Filter, and some of the worst lyrics Rich has written by far (Saying a lot since Filter almost always sucks lyrically, and extra disappointing because Trouble seemed to offer at least a slight step forward for him in that area). The only thing I REALLY like about the two songs is the bridge in "We Hate It"... and I guess the "Sit yourself down sit yourself down mother fucker" part is enjoyable in a funny way. Either way, I could see those being the worst two songs on the album and the rest being as good as Trouble. I suppose time will tell.

Presideo
05-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Their new album leaked - haven't downloaded it yet because that song "What Do You Say" was atrocious and I'm afraid the rest will be just as bad...

ZeroSum
05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Just finished my second listen- it's not all that bad. A bit of a let down after The Trouble With Angels, which I thought was incredibly solid, but still a good one. What Do You Say is pretty bad, but it's probably the worst track here. Towards the middle, a couple of the songs seem like faceless radio friendly hard-rockers, but when Richard makes his presence felt, the album is usually pretty good. I'd probably give it around a 3/5- it's worth a spin.

Oh, and the title track is fucking sweet. I just about puked when I heard the auto tune at the beginning, but its over after about 3 seconds and the rest of the track is pretty impressive.

Max Leo
05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
I think "The Trouble With Angels" was better.

This new one has a few good tunes, but I just don't understand why every track is filled with so many "ooohhh, woooohhh, ooooohhh, woooohhhh" or stuff like that. I can understand a few "yyyyeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh" here and there, but I find a little annoying the abuse of all those "woh, oh, ooohh..... wowooohhhooohhh...." in so many songs, wtf.

I know Trent does these things sometimes too, and I don't mind it ("Into The Void"), but I don't know, I find it kind of ridiculous how much it's done on this album. The same goes for the autotune (or vocoder, or whatever it is) unnecessary abuse in some tracks.

I like "What Do You Say" though (and I'll probably like the whole album better after a few more listens).

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-28-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm hoping I like it more after a few listens...So far, I'm not really sure if I like it. Nothing's grabbed me yet, and I'm up to "This Finger's For You." Maybe I need to be in the right mood at the right time, but so far, this definitely isn't living up to The Trouble with Angels. I like the the title track, though.

The album isn't terrible, but I don't know if it's for me yet.

Deepvoid
05-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Just finished my first listen. "Trouble" was better but this is still a solid effort. I think it's less subtle. More straight forward in your face hard rock.

scotty79
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
This is much better than I was expecting, surprise is my favourite track after first listen

pukkelpop
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
just heard Filter plays Pukkelpop along with NIN, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Deftones, The XX, Crystal Castles, Neil Young,....

NINisamazing
06-15-2013, 11:21 PM
I was a huge fan of filter for the first 2 albums. I thought the 3rd album was good, but nothing compared to short bus and tor. Since 08, they have been sort of bland. Nothing really sticks out to me anymore, all of their records sorta blend together in my memory. I just listened to the new record, its ok. Also, did he really use auto tune in 'Watch the sun come out tonight"?

Kodiak33
06-15-2013, 11:44 PM
I actually liked " The Trouble With Angels" more than "Amalgamut" now. "Title" was such a classic alt rock album, it's hard to beat. I would pay a ton of money to see that played front to back.

Dragoro
07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Ever watch Patrick's twitter feed? Guys got about as much brains as a box of rocks.

Dragoro
07-03-2013, 07:39 AM
First album was good, went to shit after that.

seasonsinthesky
07-03-2013, 10:57 AM
did no one ever show you how to edit a post? or tell you double posting takes as much brains as a box of rocks?

GulDukat
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
New single is "Surprise."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBwRJo-3XwM

Love that song and think it's a great choice.

Kodiak33
10-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Going to see them next Friday. Title of Record is still one of my favorite albums ever.

Toadflax
11-05-2013, 12:30 PM
For those of you who haven't heard, a few of us started a Nine Inch Nails podcast recently. Just five episodes in, we were able to bag an interview with Richard Patrick, who talked with us for over an hour about the early days of Nine Inch Nails, the present days of Filter, and plenty of shenanigans in between. Subscribe on iTunes (https://itun.es/i6FS9j2) or check out our main site (http://www.underneathitall.org), and enjoy!

GulDukat
01-02-2014, 02:32 AM
I've seen Filter twice, in '11 opening up for Bush and in '13 when they opened up for STP. Great band to see live. RP is a great frontman, period. I loved The Sun Comes Out Tonight. To me the last album sounds like classic Filter but with some modern flourishes and it didn't sound like they were trying too hard. I see why some say that it has a "nu-metal" feel and I can understand that. I thought that some of the more pop-leaning songs like "Surprise" and "It's my Time" were highlights. Some of the lyrics, i.e. "sit down motherfucker" may seem sophomoric, but I'll give them a pass.

seasonsinthesky
01-03-2014, 01:07 PM
i quite like the title track and "What Do You Say" and "Surprise," but the rest is pretty samey and attempting to make anthems out of meh. (still better than the Anthems album, though...)

nothing will quite measure up to Title of Record for me anyway. that one's too steeped.

aggroculture
01-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Gotta say I am impressed by the new album. It's their best since Amalgamut.
I recently bought The Trouble with Angels and have given it a shot, but it's annoying.

draven
02-16-2014, 10:15 PM
there is a live filter q&a happening on tuesday feb 18th @ 16:30 aest if anyone here is interested in participating
http://www.soundwavefestival.com/in-the-ring/filter

perceptionnexus
02-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Solaris 2014: Interesting take. Greg on verse vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoMDGGeUgDk

Halo Infinity
11-13-2014, 12:20 PM
I hope this method of taking it to another thread is encouraged. I thought I'd do it once more, since this post will be about Filter.

people stopped paying attention to Filter in 1996.

Didn't Title of Record actually do well? I never really got into Filter, nor do I follow them as of right now, but I can still recall Title of Record being a success.

GulDukat
11-13-2014, 12:33 PM
I hope this method of taking it to another thread is encouraged. I thought I'd do it once more, since this post will be about Filter.

Didn't Title of Record actually do well? I never really got into Filter, nor do I follow them as of right now, but I can still recall Title of Record being a success.
Yup, with "Take a Picture" being one of their most well-known songs. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock into when "people" start or stop paying attention to Filter or any other band. The general public is pretty fickle--enjoy what YOU like. Filter has a pretty solid body-of-work and are pretty awesome live.

ZeroSum
11-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Yep... I'll see these guys every time they come around my neck of the woods. Their tour with Helmet and Local H last summer was great. Richard may be a bit of a douche bag (runs his mouth on stage, goes on half-baked political rants in which he stoops to the level of rednecks of the audience he wants to debate with, and wears filter shirts while performing... etc.) but he brings tons and tons of energy to the stage and never phones in a performance. I always get drunk, sing along, and mosh my face off. It's an amazing time. I've their two most recent albums signed by the band, too. They don't really have a bad album in their discography- Soldiers of Misfortune or whatever was a tad insipid, and this recent one a bit over produced and generic, but I still jam them pretty frequently. As far as straight up modern rock goes, these guys are as good as anybody.

pwing47
11-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Yup, with "Take a Picture" being one of their most well-known songs. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock into when "people" start or stop paying attention to Filter or any other band. The general public is pretty fickle--enjoy what YOU like. Filter has a pretty solid body-of-work and are pretty awesome live.

Well said. Yeah, Take a Picture is actually one of my least fav songs by them, even tho it was pretty popular.

I've always been a pretty casual Filter fan, but have always quite enjoyed them. Saw them live for the first time this summer at a really tiny venue, and was so close that you could barely take a picture (no pun intended) of the band. (This close (http://imgur.com/a/6wWvn), actually.)

Richard is kinda talkative, but seems pretty down to earth and connected to his fans. He got a little too rowdy during the encore and accidentally dropped the mic into the crowd, so I had to literally pick it up and hand it back to him, haha. I sent him a couple of my pics via Facebook, and he was cool enough to post them, PMed me back, thanked me for the pics, and even remembered me as the "mic guy." :)

ViN
07-17-2015, 01:08 AM
So I actually got to go see Filter for free tonight at a local dive bar, they were actually really good live. I was expecting them to suck live, but I also haven't ever seen footage of them live since Richard Patrick got sober a real long time ago. Sobriety suits him pretty well because they were good. I had no idea they had Danerys from Game of Thrones on bass either. They did a mix of new and old stuff, they did Jurassitol which was surprising. I was supposed to go see Raekwon and Ghostface Killah tonight, but I didn't have the funds, so my buddy got me into the Filter show in town for free instead. Pretty cool, then afterwards me and my friend met Richard, said good show and what not. Good time.

GulDukat
07-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Saw them a few times and they rocked. New single isn't bad.

Mantra
07-17-2015, 11:03 PM
I had no idea they had Danerys from Game of Thrones on bass either.

wait a minute... what?

ViN
07-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Not the actual actress but the girl playing bass looked a lot like her. Same bleached white hair style.

fillow
01-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Jeez, did he did ever do anything without namedropping Trent or NIN?

GulDukat
01-20-2016, 05:43 AM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6844181/filter-take-me-to-heaven-premiere-crazy-eyes-album-interview

New Filter Crazy Eyes is out 4/8. You can listen to the new song "Take me to Heaven" in the link. Not bad. Sounds more like old-school Filter, but more organic. Looking forward to the new disc.

ETA, Rex beat me to it.

ZeroSum
01-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Song is okay, I don't think I'll listen to it again until we have the full thing.

Rich is a dumb guy. His lyrics are almost always terrible. The Trouble With Angels is about the least cringeworthy he's been lyrically.

Very mixed feelings about this band. I would almost call them a guilty pleasure, but I've seen them live so many times and really do love a large number of their songs. I suppose its the type of situation where I'm a fan, but I totally get why someone would think Filter is an awful band... Whereas, if someone thought NIN was really awful, I'd probably spend hours trying to convince them otherwise.

Mutilated
01-21-2016, 06:12 AM
This new song is boring ass, generic radio rock. Nothing industrial or experimental about it whatsoever. Rich is full of shit.

GulDukat
01-21-2016, 09:48 AM
This new song is boring ass, generic radio rock. Nothing industrial or experimental about it whatsoever. Rich is full of shit.
It's not amazing, not terrible either. It's decent, imho.

Mutilated
01-21-2016, 10:06 AM
He has said that this song is the tamest on the album, the most radio friendly track by far. So I'm still gonna give the album a chance, but expectations are medium to low.

GulDukat
01-21-2016, 10:58 AM
I really enjoyed Filter's last two albums, so I have high hopes for this one.

Deepvoid
01-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Just listened to the new single after reading this new interview in which he said it was less guitar driven, more electronics and industrial.
Disappointing. Pretty generic and boring.

thelastdisciple
01-22-2016, 07:34 PM
I almost hate to feel less enthused about Richard's latest Filter music as he always seems so stoked about what he creates and genuinely believes in it. I WANT to like it but a lot of it's been so.......middle of the road is putting it nicely, definitely hit and miss, more of the latter. He needs to start collaborating with other artists i think, do a new project. Shake things up. Perhaps it'd make things less bland.. i dunno I'm not an expert. I'll keep my ear out for the full record though, always want to give things the benefit of doubt if the first single isn't anything exciting.

Mutilated
01-23-2016, 05:48 AM
Just listened to the new single after reading this new interview in which he said it was less guitar driven, more electronics and industrial.
Disappointing. Pretty generic and boring.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. Rich's definition of less guitar driven: writes something on a keyboard and says, fuck man, this would sound awesome on a guitar.

GulDukat
02-27-2016, 06:50 AM
"Mother E"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J24Mlk1nwVE

miss k bee
02-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Not keen on Take Me to Heaven, but Mother E..yes!!!

neorev
02-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Take Me To Heaven is pretty good... EXCEPT for that chorus ugh

But Mother E... holy shit! Love it!

First Filter album since Title Of Record that I'm interested to hear.
I'm liking the production.

GulDukat
02-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Not sure if I like the screaming, kind of Linkin Park-esque.

Mutilated
02-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Mother E is really solid. Super stuff.

Mutilated
02-29-2016, 03:45 AM
Yeah so I caved and pre-ordered Crazy Eyes. If there's one more song like Mother E, then its worth the price of admission.

tricil
03-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Holy shit the new songs Mother E, and Nothing in my Hands kick ass!

tricil
03-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Nothing in my hands:

Filter - Nothing In My Hands [Audio] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qoa3zDza4w)

armogi
03-12-2016, 07:28 PM
yes, that's 2 interesting songs out of 3 so far, i can't imagine filter and richie being relevant today but I might be wrong!

seasonsinthesky
03-12-2016, 08:26 PM
And in typical RP fashion, he linked it on a doom metal FB group in his promo frenzy. I'm sure it really appealed to the Candlemass fans.

GulDukat
03-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Nothing in my hands:

Filter - Nothing In My Hands [Audio] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qoa3zDza4w)
Best of the three, imho.

scotty79
04-05-2016, 02:38 PM
new album has leaked, very small file size and is a 128kbps rip, think i'll wait for a better one to become available before listening

ZeroSum
04-05-2016, 04:21 PM
The leak you're talking about sounds really good, Scotty. I gave it a whirl and, while I'm not an audiophile, I'd say it sounds exactly like it's supposed to. Better than the Deftones leak from a few days ago, at the very least.

I'm only five songs in, but... this seems really, really strong. A hell of a lot better than their last album already. All of the singles sound better in the context of the album, especially Take Me to Heaven, which I wasn't super keen on the first few times I listened. Mother E and Nothing in my Hands are two of the best songs Rich has ever put out, no matter how you slice it. I'll probably stop by for a track-by-track review later after I listen a few more times.

scotty79
04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Cool, will download it later and give it a whirl at some point, got a busy few days coming up but that's another story [emoji6]

armogi
04-05-2016, 05:27 PM
this record is quite amazing actually, some really catchy stuff in there, I guess Rich did it this time, job well done.

ZeroSum
04-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Damn right he did it. I'm pretty floored by this album. It's probably the best in the entire Filter catalog- like, we'll see how it holds up, but the only one that might be better is Title of Record, which is a classic, but I love the entire dark, emotional gestalt of this album. ToR has awesome melodies and songwriting, but it drags a bit because it lacks variety. On Crazy Eyes, every song seems to shine in a different way, however slightly. Incredible stuff. Rich seems very, very alive here.

Mother E: 5/5
The Filter song I've always wanted but never thought I would get.

Nothing in my Hand: 5/5
The entire last minute has a brilliant duality; it's perhaps the clearest display of Rich's NIN roots, but not in a way that it feels like he's in Trent's shadow.

Pride Flag: 4/5
Not sure about the chorus yet, and the lyrics are unnecessarily rhyme-y, but the verses make me want to kick someone's ass. All in all, as a Filter song that seems like its supposed to be a political statement in 2016, it invigorates me much more than it has any right to.

City of Blinding Riots: 4/5
What stands out at this point, to me, is how every song has a very different style. This holds true for pretty much the whole album, too. City of Blinding Riots makes me think of sleek cars racing around at night. The electronics feel capable of some sort of "crossover" appeal. A cool song, if not necessarily my favorite.

Take me to Heaven: 3.5/5
In the context of the album, this one just screams, "HEY! Make me the single, dammit!" When I first heard this track, I feared it would be representative of the direction of the album as a whole, but it really isn't. It's an energetic burst with a melody that sounds the most like what Filter has been doing for the past few albums, but I see hints of the craziness of the other tracks lurking within this one now. I kinda wanna make it a 4, but we'll see. Better than that godawful "What Do You Say?" single from the last album

Welcome to the Suck: 4.5/5
More like welcome to the awesome, AM I RITE?? Kinda doomy with a great performance from Richard. Falls somewhere between an epic, emotional track and a slow segue that transitions between two sides of the album. Tracks like this are USUALLY filler, just cool little interludes, but this one is better than that.

Head of Fire: 4.5/5
Feels like the whole "modern RAWK" thing they went for last time actually done right.

Tremors: 4/5
Punky industrial with a really cool bridge.

Kid Blue From the Short Bus, Drunk Bunk: 5/5
First off, what's up with this title? Definitely references the answering machine messages from "Spent", you'll see why. It references Short Bus in clever ways that are more than just "hey, remember this awesome old album?" I was going to give it a 4, but the last minute (everything after the "jesus christ" line) fucking slays harder than anything I've heard all year. Rich, keep this fucking drummer around for once, K?

Your Bullets: 3.5/5
More standard modern RAWK, but not quite as convincing as Head of Fire. If I had to drop a track from the album, I'd probably pick this one. It's the least interesting, I guess, and the least crucial to the album's flow. But then we'd lose how Rich sings "meaningless", so it can stay.

Under the Tongue: 5/5
Essentially an instrumental and jammy as fuck. Seriously, who is on the sticks here? Awesome. Sounds like a neat little jam they might do live more than it does a super crafted studio track in some regards... I love it, especially as a way to wind the album down.

(Can't She See) Head of Fire Pt. 2: 5/5
Seriously??? This is ethereal as fuck. Filter shouldn't be making me feel things like this. Rich really DOES have the potential to write an awesome film score.

In short, I am shocked by this album. I am a pretty big Filter fan, largely because I love Rich's musical attitude and think he's a hell of a front man. It is stunning that their music feels this relevant in 2016. Like, I would say it is the most relevant they have ever felt, artistically. Not only is this going to be one of the best rock albums of 2016, it's going to be one of the best albums of 2016. This better get some fucking credit on a year end list or three. Richard deserves it. I've been super critical of him in the past, but he really, actually, truly delivered on all the promises for once. Really awesome to be a fan of this band right now.

Khrz
04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
The leak you're talking about sounds really good, Scotty. I gave it a whirl and, while I'm not an audiophile, I'd say it sounds exactly like it's supposed to.

I hope not, or that we're not talking about the same leak, because there's a whole lot of clipping in there, and it really lacks dynamic.

Deepvoid
04-06-2016, 07:49 PM
There's 320kbps out there.

Mother E is insanely good.
Can't wait to hear the rest!

perceptionnexus
04-06-2016, 08:05 PM
So the consensus is pretty good for Crazy Eyes? I've only heard one of the singles, I think Mother E, which wasn't too bad. I was following Filter pretty heavily from Short Bus through The Amalgamut, but I haven't really dug much of their stuff from Anthems of the Damned onward.

I was thinking about just picking the cd up at best buy on friday while i'm grabbing the new deftones album as they're both on sale for under $10.

spiralout
04-06-2016, 09:12 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7325411/filter-new-album-crazy-eyes-listen-exclusive

Crazy Eyes streaming in full. I'm torn.....I really want to listen to this now but I also want to wait until my vinyl copy comes in. Regardless, I'm glad to hear positive reviews so far.

Khrz
04-07-2016, 05:12 AM
There's 320kbps out there.

Mother E is insanely good.
Can't wait to hear the rest!

All I found was an upscaled 320. But what I heard is indeed promising !

So the consensus is pretty good for Crazy Eyes?

Honestly, it's old-school industrial rock, think Pitchshifter/Gravity Kills when it comes to production. Lots of sounds all around, heavy guitars and Patrick yelling. Which works, for once ! It's nothing revolutionary, and in my opinion Title of Record was actually a step further from that style, putting the emphasis on the Rock part and letting go of the busy electronic tropes.

It's good, if not really creative. If you're hoping for Richard Patrick to actually invent something, he does not. But somehow he found a way to revive the 90ies without sounding cheesy. I like it, for the same reasons I liked the last Rob Zombie, and like I wish I could like KMFDM again. It's not challenging, but it's fun ! And it's been a while since Filter was any fun for me, so... Win ?

Mutilated
04-08-2016, 03:29 AM
Maybe this album will gel with me more over time, but initial first impressions aren't fantastic. The opening 2 tracks are great though, especially Mother E (the track that made me pre-order). But Mother E is by far the best song on the album and the most industrial sounding. Crazy Eyes has a ton of live drumming which really detracts from the industrial sound of the record. There's tons of guitars on it, where's the keyboard driven songs?! Calling this an industrial record, or Neu Industrial as Rich is marketing as, is really wishful thinking. It doesn't go far enough, Rich is a rocker, not a rivethead.

GulDukat
04-08-2016, 04:06 AM
All I found was an upscaled 320. But what I heard is indeed promising !

Honestly, it's old-school industrial rock, think Pitchshifter/Gravity Kills when it comes to production. Lots of sounds all around, heavy guitars and Patrick yelling. Which works, for once ! It's nothing revolutionary, and in my opinion Title of Record was actually a step further from that style, putting the emphasis on the Rock part and letting go of the busy electronic tropes.

It's good, if not really creative. If you're hoping for Richard Patrick to actually invent something, he does not. But somehow he found a way to revive the 90ies without sounding cheesy. I like it, for the same reasons I liked the last Rob Zombie, and like I wish I could like KMFDM again. It's not challenging, but it's fun ! And it's been a while since Filter was any fun for me, so... Win ?
RP seems to go back and forth from wanting to evolve, i.e., Soldiers of Fortune, The Sun Comes Out Tonight, and wanting to return to the sound of early Filter, i.e., The Trouble With Angels and Crazy Eyes.

GulDukat
04-08-2016, 09:40 PM
New album fucking smokes. First impimpression.

ManBurning
04-08-2016, 11:42 PM
I'm checking out Filter with Orgy live next weekend. I'll admit, I'm more so in it for Orgy, but I gave the new Filter record a spin, and it's pretty good. Probably one of their better records.

spiral94
04-09-2016, 08:23 AM
renholder sighting on this album

perceptionnexus
04-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Listened to it yesterday, save for "Mother E" and "Under The Tongue", which are damn good tracks, the rest will probably end up as background music in my ears while i'm at the gym. It's a decent Filter album but nothing more, like you guys said.

I got excited after hearing "Mother E" as the first track, I was hoping this album would just be really raw sounding, simple and stripped down. Just cool guitar riffs and a drum machine. Not quite the case. Still ok for Filter, though.

scotty79
04-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Finally got round to listening to this, way better than I was expecting and other than the chorus for take me to heaven i really struggled to find anything with the whole album i didn't enjoy

Khrz
04-09-2016, 01:48 PM

THANK YOU goddamn it's been bugging me from the beginning and I couldn't put my finger on it. Now that I think of it, even my subconscious has been poking me with thoughts like "you know what would be good right now? New APC album, that's right!"

armogi
04-09-2016, 07:24 PM

which tracks?

neorev
04-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Nothing In My Hands sounds very Gravity Kills to me. I liked Gravity Kills debut self titled release along with the follow up Perversion, but kinda lost interest in them. But this new Filter album is pretty damn good.

GulDukat
04-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Any slower-ish songs on this record in the vein of Goddamn Me, The Only Way Is The Wrong Way, Miss Blue or Surprise?

My vinyl copy should be here Tuesday. I've only heard TMTH back when it was first released..
Final track, head of fire, 2.

spiral94
04-10-2016, 07:22 AM
which tracks?

just one

"The City of Blinding Riots"

tricil
04-11-2016, 09:28 AM
What's the vibe of that one song Kid Blue on the Short Bus, or whatever it's called? Any good, or goofy like the title would suggest?

That track is another scorcher! Really the whole album slays

spiralout
04-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Finally got some time with this album. I would have to say it is probably Filter's best since TOR. Every song is great in their own way. I'm really glad Richard didn't feel the need to add a song in the vein of Take a Picture or Surprise. As mentioned above he closest it gets to that is with Head of Fire pt2, even then its style is closer to songs like Thanks Bro.

Great stuff....current faves are Pride Flag, Welcome to the Suck, Mother E and Nothing in my Hands.

neorev
04-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Finally got some time with this album. I would have to say it is probably Filter's best since TOR.

Yes! Exactly how I feel.

Rubeninphoenix
04-11-2016, 11:55 PM
I most definitely have to agree with those of you who've said this is the best Filter album since TOR but the question is, is this better than TOR? Could this be the 2nd best Filter album? I personally can't really decide.

ManBurning
04-12-2016, 12:21 AM
I'm really glad Richard didn't feel the need to add a song in the vein of Take a Picture or Surprise. As mentioned above he closest it gets to that is with Head of Fire pt2, even then its style is closer to songs like Thanks Bro.

I think the closest he gets to "Take a Picture" on this album is "Take me to Heaven", but it's not totally pop overload with "Heaven" as it is with "Picture". Hell, "Picture" is so goddamn out of place on it's respective album, that it almost ruins the flow of that record. This record though, has a fantastic flow and "Heaven", while still a little poppy, still has a little bit of a dark undertone. I think that's thanks to the guitars on it.

Either way, it's probably the first Filter record I can say I have managed to get through front to back with not hating any songs. Good job.

Looking forward to seeing some if this stuff live on Saturday.

Uraki14
04-12-2016, 02:37 AM
I was hoping for a bit more out of this album, but it is still pretty decent compared to the last few. Totally agreed with the earlier comment of it being good gym music.

seasonsinthesky
04-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Hell, "Picture" is so goddamn out of place on it's respective album, that it almost ruins the flow of that record.

No way. "Miss Blue," at a minimum, is right there with it – and I'd argue that's the one out of place, not TAP, which has a bridge perfectly fitting the rest of the album. "The Best Things" is also right up in the same pop style, just not in a ballad form.

Edit: Also, re: Crazy Eyes – happy to hear the return of "The TOR/Almagamut" chords in Kid Blue/Your Bullets etc.

TheBang
10-05-2018, 06:39 PM
I don't really follow Filter on social media, so I hadn't realized that Brian Liesegang was back with Rich Patrick in the studio since the beginning of this year. Now they've got a new album, reBus, coming out. If you like exclusives and signed stuff, they've started a PledgeMusic here (though several have already sold out):

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/filter-rebus

Otherwise, if you just want a regular CD or vinyl, it should be available cheaper in normal stores once the album is released.

I like the sound of the first song sample there, "Thoughts and Prayers", already.

klyrish
10-05-2018, 07:06 PM
That sounds better than I expected but those prices are insane.

GulDukat
10-05-2018, 10:07 PM
That sounds better than I expected but those prices are insane.I'll buy the CD via amazon once it's available. Always good to have new Filter.

fillow
10-06-2018, 03:19 AM
That title though...

renton44
10-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Hey, does anyone know any of the details about the Vinyl reissue of Short Bus due out on 11/2? Just curious because it just appeared as a pre-order on Amazon and other places. I had no idea it was getting a re-issue.

Did some more digging, there is going to be a white vinyl (indie exclusive), and "vinyl mastering by George Horn and Anne-Marie Suenram at Fantasy Studios and is pressed at Memphis Record Pressing."

Mutilated
10-11-2018, 10:17 AM
That title though...

Looks like the plan is to change it, with input perhaps from fans (pledgers).

Toadflax
11-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Just got tickets to see Title of Record in its entirety next Wednesday! I remember wanting to see Filter way back in '95 or so and not getting to go. Since then, though I've seen Richard sing with The Crystal Method, do an acoustic set at a benefit concert, and have even met him briefly, I have yet to actually see a Filter show. Looking forward to it. :)

GulDukat
06-15-2020, 10:22 PM
New Filter, "Thoughts and Prayers" is out this Thursday, 6/18, 11:00 AM est.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGma9q_Z1U&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0c ww5TyuST_DcIM7jRgJX-q9uDskF7an4CMzq_nGe4jSYl6xZYAi7NHR0

GulDukat
06-18-2020, 01:52 PM
New song is out--thoughts?

Cookster426
06-18-2020, 02:33 PM
New song is out--thoughts?

Meh. Liked the sound of it. Reminds me of The Amalgamut, which was their last best album, but I'm not digging the chorus.

wight rabbit
06-18-2020, 02:59 PM
Was there not a lot of effort put into that mix? It sounded lifeless on my studio monitors.

GulDukat
06-18-2020, 03:10 PM
Kind of reminds me of what's on Crazy Eyes, which I really liked. Not amazing, but a solid Filter song.

bobbie solo
06-19-2020, 02:32 AM
Much better than anyone would expect from Patrick in 2020.

Lyrics & singing are the worst parts expectedly.

Tom
06-19-2020, 03:42 AM
Fine track. Better without the video.

thefragile_jake
06-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Oof. That was laughably bad. Not only is the track mixed like shit, the chorus veers off into almost butt rock territory with the vocal melody there.

I'm having Ministry's "99 Percenters" flashbacks with how low budget the video is and how "hey remember us? we're making a statement too lol" the message is in the midst of some pretty generic alt-metal.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
06-19-2020, 11:20 AM
Richard made some comment on the Filter fb page about how Brian Liesegang is "a mess" and "can't handle things like he used to"......If he is hinting that Brian has a substance abuse problem on a Filter fb forum for everyone to read, that is a pretty low blow considering Richards past

DVYDRNS
06-20-2020, 11:51 AM
garbage. im sick of the has beens trying to remain relevant.

also. if you dont have the budget for a video. dont put a video out.

GulDukat
06-20-2020, 12:06 PM
I like the song even more after a second listen. The mix didn't seem great at first, but maybe it will sound better on disc instead of youtube.

06-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Filter still has a fanbase much like NIN does. Both are fairly niche. .

Idk about that. NIN is still a pretty big time band and can still headline festivals and headline an arena tour. Trent Reznor's name still carries major weight, whether its with NIN or score work....Filter at this point are one step away from playing Joes's Crab Shack in Tulsa....In the grand scheme of things, NIN is regarded as one of the most significant bands to come out of the 90s alongside bands like Nirvana, Radiohead, etc......Filter are basically considered one hit wonders from the mid 90s alternative nation boom and sit alongside Silverchair and Mark McGrath in the 'whatever happened to them' category....Richards politics aside, could they even headline a tour at this point?

GulDukat
06-20-2020, 07:22 PM
Then ignore them? Filter still has a fanbase much like NIN does. Both are fairly niche. The song's quality may be questionable but it is actually culturally relevant right now. At least the guy is trying to make a statement.I never understood why an artist being "relevant" was important. You like something or you don't, who gives a shit if it's deemed "relevant."

muad'nin
06-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Idk about that. NIN is still a pretty big time band and can still headline festivals and headline an arena tour. Trent Reznor's name still carries major weight, whether its with NIN or score work....Filter at this point are one step away from playing Joes's Crab Shack in Tulsa....In the grand scheme of things, NIN is regarded as one of the most significant bands to come out of the 90s alongside bands like Nirvana, Radiohead, etc......Filter are basically considered one hit wonders from the mid 90s alternative nation boom and sit alongside Silverchair and Mark McGrath in the 'whatever happened to them' category....Richards politics aside, could they even headline a tour at this point?

I disagree, to an extent. Here in Australia, the band aren’t really considered one hit wonders. They had moderate success with “Hey Man, Nice Shot”, but attained further pop cultural capital upon the release of “Take a Picture”, which was supported both on radio and video. Likewise “...Trip Like I Do”, “Welcome to the Fold” and to a lesser degree, “The Best Things”. All of this is to say that the Joe’s Crab Shack example wouldn’t translate to audiences over here.

Certainly in Australia the band wouldn’t sit On the same level as Mark McGrath/Sugar Ray.

And while I wouldn’t quite feel the same as many of my country-folk, if Silverchair reformed they would pull a bigger crowd here than any NIN tour past or present. It would be reported on mainstream news outlets, I’ve no question.

Jinsai
06-20-2020, 08:52 PM
well the video is really bad yeah... I don't know, I am not listening on a good system, but it seems like generic dated industrial rock.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
06-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Filter is still around? My Dad listened to them in the yesteryears and they were always just background music to me. This sounds messy and hard on the ears.

thefragile_jake
06-21-2020, 12:07 AM

I think the answer to that question is no. Didn't they have some Title of Record tour planned last year that they dropped all the dates for and said because of his "busy schedule and other work" that it was a no go? Horse shit. The tour didn't sell because the current state of the brand of Filter is best suited for playing the "Wayback Wednesday" festivals of your local hard rock / alternative station.

A little bit of a tangent, but in regards to the idea of relevancy ... I think it's a matter of either mainstream relevancy and artistic relevancy. Nine Inch Nails is pretty generational with the name still carrying a lot of weight to it in terms of fans who grew up from all the way from the Pretty Hate Machine era, discovered them during the post-Fragile hiatus (me) and also got into the group from Trent's scoring work. There's so many different points in time of Trent's career. Like @Helpmeiaminhell (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5551) said, the band still goes out and headlines major festivals and sells out tours while ALSO releasing some of his most creative and experimental music to date. When you're just in autopilot and putting out a dated sound, it becomes stale and lacking (what I perceive as) artistic relevancy. Look at Swans' 2012-2014 material. Was that playing on any local radio station? Hell no, but they had such momentum upon their return upon the last decade.

You can tell when listening to Bad Witch that he's challenging himself as opposed to settling for the comfort zone at times which is all you envision when you hear shit like this new Filter. Maybe it's just personal preference, but I'd rather go into a new album not knowing what to expect that the same old formula. Much like Radiohead, Trent always had his eyes on what was next. Sure, maybe it didn't work for you in some cases (Year Zero for me), but at least I went in with high anticipation for getting a new experience.

ZeroSum
06-22-2020, 01:51 AM
I have a bit of a soft spot for Filter. Short Bus has pretty weak songwriting on the whole, but the record *sounds* fantastic. It's so visceral and gritty, a total gut punch despite the songs not being so great. You get the feeling that Richard doesn't quite know what he's doing, but that he's doing it with a great amount of intention. There's something scrappy about his approach- he doesn't have a great mind, the talent and tools aren't really there, but he forced his way up into the music world in the 90s and managed to make a career of his passion. Title of Record is a big change of pace from Short Bus; it puts songwriting first and it feels like they're taking their opportunity to be in the limelight very seriously. Title of Record comes across as kind of shallow and thin compared to other big alt rock releases from around that same time, but it's an enjoyable record nonetheless, just short of being a classic, imo. Filter could have stopped there and we'd probably look back on them really fondly as some kind of NIN-spinoff sort of thing...

Since then, the band went further and further down that serious songwriter path. I feel like the music kept getting a little too serious, to the point that they were trying to be some kind of nu-metal U2 on Anthems for the Damned, which came across just as dumb and knuckle-dragging as it sounds. I really thought the band was done at this time, but the next record, The Trouble With Angels, was honestly pretty tremendous. I think Rich got sober between these records? Not sure, but that album did a pretty good job of recapturing and combining what made their first two releases stand out. I pretend The Sun Comes Out Tonight doesn't exist, most of the time (cheesy butt rock to the extreme) but I love Crazy Eyes. That album is riddled with flaws, his voice kinda sounds like shit, but it's such an aggressive, who gives a fuck kind of record. Does it sound embarrassing? Yeah, in some contexts. But Filter adds a pretty unique edge to mainstream rock when Richard steps into the underdog role. And when you consider that Filter's style of music is most in line with mainstream radio rock, and how overwhelmingly conservative that fanbase is... it's kind of hard not to appreciate how in-your-face Richard can be about the progressive themes in his music. Yeah, the dude sucks at writing lyrics, but he's committed to his ideals. He's lost fans over the last few years by willfully being this underdog within that scene. It's scrappy, and it makes for interesting music. He's barking and spitting in the face of a fairly right-wing fanbase and I appreciate that kind of confrontational disposition. For a lot of people, it's really fucking obvious that rock and punk are about breaking convention, about challenging the system and traditions, but for some, it's just cool guitars and shit. Richard is forcing those sorts of people in his fanbase to confront that, and I think that's good. I think it's something that's needed; it's something that keeps him from being lumped in with seether or nickelback or whoever else is still doing that mainstream rock schtick.

I'm not crazy about the new song, but I appreciate the intent I feel is behind it. Some people need to hear this type of shit, and they need it to be dumbed down and in their face. Look at the recent NIN trilogy: was a great examination of what it means and what it feels like to exist in and question our current reality; that sort of questioning of reality has been a central theme of Trent's music since With Teeth, and he's slowly gotten headier and headier and more abstract with this questioning with every release. But so many people dismiss the trilogy for being too experimental, too strange, too challenging. I honestly think it went over a lot of people's heads. As somebody who broke out of really sheltered, conservative thought at a somewhat late age, I have to say that music like what Richard is making right now is pretty goddamn useful. Now, do I get much from listening to it these days? Nah, not really. But I'm glad it's out there.

Also, Filter is not even close to NIN in terms of relevance or popularity, are you kidding me? I can't believe someone is even asking that question...

GulDukat
06-22-2020, 09:20 AM
I think that Filter have a really solid body-of-work, and they're pretty versatile--they can write something really aggressive like HMNS and "Thoughts and Prayers," and also real melodic, Beatle-esque stuff like "Take a Picture" and "Surprise." If anything, I think that Filter are underrated and Patrick is an underappreciated singer/songwriter/frontman. I've seen Filter a few times and they were always friggin' awesome. I saw them when they opened up for Bush/Chevelle in 2011 and Stone Temple Pilots in 2013, and both times Filter were at least as good as the main act (better than Chevelle).

One of my favorite concert memories is when Richard Patrick joined the Chester Bennington-fronted Stone Temple Pilots on stage in 2013 for "Piece of Pie."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDKxmkpooo

That's from another show, but was just like that in Boston. Saw them headline a club in Cambridge MA in 2016 and it was a killer show. I'd love to see them again.

neorev
06-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Filter peaked with Title Of Record

thelastdisciple
10-29-2020, 02:43 AM
I actually liked Thoughts and Prayers and I'm digging this trajectory with Murica.

https://youtu.be/mq15Ul2T_8c

GulDukat
10-29-2020, 10:29 AM
I actually liked Thoughts and Prayers and I'm digging this trajectory with Murica.

https://youtu.be/mq15Ul2T_8c
Subtlety isn't exactly Patrick's thing.

I like both songs. Seems like he's going in the same direction that he went with with Crazy Eyes. Looking forward to hearing the new album.

roolfdriht
12-06-2020, 09:44 PM
I backed the reBus PledgeMusic campaign back in 2018 for some modest amount (probably $30 for a signed copy), so I wasn’t terribly put out at having to write that off when PM went under last year.

Needless to say, I was not expecting a random call that I sent to voicemail this evening to result in...a minute and a half voicemail from Richard himself apologizing for the debacle, two years after the fact. Seems he’s calling everyone who pledged, so credit to him for dedicating what I presume is not an insignificant amount of time for some in-the-weeds PR work.

I may call him back tomorrow (at his invitation!) just to say a quick hello/no hard feelings if I can convince myself I won’t end up mumbling incoherently...

Cookster426
12-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Filter peaked with Title Of Record

They did. Am I the only one who also enjoyed The Amalgamut? That was a great record to listen to during my angry depressed High School years.

GulDukat
12-07-2020, 11:25 AM
Wasn't super into The Amalgamut and Anthems for the Damned, but I really liked their more recent albums.

ickyvicky
12-08-2020, 10:20 AM
I like Amalgamut. I think I saw them on tour for that album. Irving Plaza in NYC.

wight rabbit
12-08-2020, 02:03 PM
I backed the reBus PledgeMusic campaign back in 2018 for some modest amount (probably $30 for a signed copy), so I wasn’t terribly put out at having to write that off when PM went under last year.

Needless to say, I was not expecting a random call that I sent to voicemail this evening to result in...a minute and a half voicemail from Richard himself apologizing for the debacle, two years after the fact. Seems he’s calling everyone who pledged, so credit to him for dedicating what I presume is not an insignificant amount of time for some in-the-weeds PR work.

I may call him back tomorrow (at his invitation!) just to say a quick hello/no hard feelings if I can convince myself I won’t end up mumbling incoherently...

WOW! That is really cool of him to do! I'm glad there are still artists out there that care.

03-21-2021, 03:31 AM
Watching some shitty Lifetime movie called "kidnapped from the beach" and I see Richard Patrick did the score....Thats a hell of a gig for ol Richard...Trent is scoring Oscar nominated films and Richard is scoring Lifetime movies starring the girl from The OC......

thelastdisciple
03-21-2021, 05:04 AM
Richard is scoring Lifetime movies starring the girl from The OC......
Work is work but damn, when those are the type of film projects reaching out for your talents.... Eeeesh.

Also given how vocal Richard has been politically, especially against Trump... i wonder how he feels being involved with anything that had some MAGA fanatics onboard.

Unless he doesn't know or just doesn't really care. After all i guess if you need the cash, being picky doesn't make much sense especially when you're tapped for a Lifetime movie lol

henryeatscereal
03-21-2021, 03:26 PM
They did. Am I the only one who also enjoyed The Amalgamut? That was a great record to listen to during my angry depressed High School years.
"The Amalgamut" is a good album, but it falls short between "Title..." and "Short Bus", that's why it's not as appreciated, but i still listen to it...

think i'm a fire engine
03-22-2021, 08:45 AM
I'm kind of surprised at all the bashing. Of course Filter aren't on par with Nine Inch Nails in terms of influence and popularity. NIN is in the 99.99999% percentile of bands when it comes to that.

Filter is still getting talked about here even though their best record came out 20 years ago. That record had some jams though. They've released some decent stuff since, and it's damn hard to last 20 years in the music industry no matter who you are.

neorev
03-22-2021, 07:04 PM
Title Of Record is my favorite. Short Bus is not bad. The rest are hit or miss. Crazy Eyes was the best thing he has done since ToR.

thefragile_jake
08-18-2022, 02:46 PM
https://youtu.be/0HedKo9Uo7k

Didn't realize they were playing county fairs lately.

DVYDRNS
08-18-2022, 03:49 PM
talk about a fall from... grace? no thats not the right word...

armogi
08-18-2022, 06:51 PM
lol, looks like their official website is down too, wtf.

however this lead me to the discovery of another band named filter, from japan, might be more interesting... https://www.filterofficial.com/

GulDukat
08-18-2022, 07:41 PM
https://youtu.be/0HedKo9Uo7k

Didn't realize they were playing county fairs lately.

Machine Gun Kelly is playing arenas, so what?

They sound good.

Khrz
08-19-2022, 06:13 AM
Filter is still getting talked about here even though their best record came out 20 years ago.

Honestly, they're talked about here because of Richard Patrick's involvement with NIN, more than anything. Close second comes the fact that indeed they keep making records.
Concerning the "bashing", hell, read around and take a peek at some other music threads, they get off easy ; Worst case Richard gets made fun of for mentioning Reznor again, or something akin to "huh, they're still doing stuff ? Amazing.".

Filter is one of those bands in my Kuiper belt of music ; still part of the system, but whatever happens there doesn't really affect me even though I'll check it out from time to time. It's like KMFDM. It's been there a long time ago so it still somewhat exists, and if they release something interesting I'll give it a go. And I'm not mad when, predictably, it's not really that interesting. Comparing them to NIN is like comparing Muse to Radiohead, or Korn to Deftones ; nobody's doing that, not since 1999.

Edit : reading this post again, it sounds quite condescending, I'm sorry for that. What I meant to say is : in my opinion, Filter has had more lukewarm releases than actual bangers. Due to various reasons here, this is a band that elicits reactions ranging between cautious enthusiasm and amused disinterest. I've seen music threads where things were a lot more tense, which makes me nitpick the term "bashing". As far as I'm concerned, even their best records aren't quite vital. Title of Record used to be in heavy rotation back then, but whenever I decide to revisit 20+ years old albums, this isn't it.
With that said, I'm not looking down on anyone who enjoys their discography, just trying to put things in perspective, in all subjectivity obviously.

GulDukat
08-23-2022, 12:03 PM
Last few Filter albums were really good, IMHO, with Crazy Eyes being one of their best.

laur.a
08-30-2022, 04:33 AM
I've been collecting Filter stuff for a long time now. There are ups and downs in their discography. For example I love The Trouble With Angels, but The Sun Comes Out Tonight is really boring... Crazy Eyes belongs to the better ones IMHO.

GulDukat
07-11-2023, 01:36 PM
Filter's new album, The Algorithm, is out 8/25.

New single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0SMq2DypU0

Khrz
07-11-2023, 03:50 PM
Well, at least the clip is just as inspired and original as the track ? It's refreshing, like waking up in my bedroom in 1991 feeling very cross at the world and mom and dad.

Edit : I just realized I already have been a bit of a prick about them like 5 posts above, in a more articulate manner. This edit as a testament that indulging in a bit of gratuitous dickishness is still sinning.

ZeroSum
08-27-2023, 11:32 AM
Thoughts on The Algorithm, now that we have it in full??

I think it's a pretty strong record. I'm not a fan of the last two songs (wtf was Richard thinking with that cringey ass chorus on Command Z?!) but everything else is at least good, and there are a handful of songs that are among their best work. Their longevity is really surprising -- Short Bus is almost 30!

Title of Record > Crazy Eyes > Short Bus > The Trouble with Angels > The Algorithm > The Amalgamut > The Sun Comes Out Tonight > Anthems for the Damned

caca
08-27-2023, 03:55 PM
I've only given the new album one listen so far, but I dug most of it, and will definitely listen to it again this week.

Cookster426
08-28-2023, 07:02 AM
Listened to it a few times this past weekend. Very good. So much better than Crazy Eyes imo. Title of Record, Short Bus, and The Amalgamut are still my three favorites from them.

Denton
09-17-2023, 06:32 PM
The Algorithm for me is a much better than expected Filter record. It’s been a long 7 years since my least favourite Crazy Eyes came out, so expectations weren’t high for this one. Took two or three listens to get into this album.

Summer Child is a highlight, it was originally supposed to be a new song for Army of Anyone.

https://youtu.be/repj9GPd8YI?si=p3IRjDifuBgPKaHo

GulDukat
10-09-2023, 09:25 PM
Gave the new album a spin for the first time tonight, it's great. "Obliteration" has a touch of Year Zero-era NIN, IMHO.