PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Politics

Pages : [1] 2 3

icecream
08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Hey, let's give this a shot! What do other Canadians/anyone else think are important issues regarding the country domestically and overseas?

Election 2015 hype has already started. I don't want to get drawn into the horse race media thing but it will be interesting to see which way Quebec goes in the next election. Can the NDP keep it? Will Trudeau charm his home province, or will the legacy of his dad's role in the 1982 constitution talks be too fresh in people's memory? Can Elizabeth May and Bruce Hyer keep their seats? How will the Bloc do this time around?

One year is a long time in politics. I'm excited to see how it will turn out because it's likely the Conservatives will either be out of office or at least a minority government. That case could lead to a NDP/Liberal collation government, with possible Green and Bloc support. It seems like the parties are already in campaign mode. All the leaflets in the mail and the leaders doing their respective publicity events.

And everyone's favorite: Rob Ford. Turns out he showed up drunk to the football games and practices he coached, was verbally abusive to the players, and at one point made the team roll around in goose shit. What a nice guy.

botley
08-28-2014, 12:51 PM
David Soknacki for Toronto mayor, Elizabeth May for PM. That's it.

icecream
08-28-2014, 01:01 PM
I don't know much about the Toronto mayor race. How is Soknacki doing in the polls?

Deepvoid
08-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Yes 2015 is coming soon enough.

Quebec mainly voted for Layton and not the NDP per say. I know a bunch of people who voted NDP and when questioned about their program, no one knew what the NPD really stood for.
To be quite honest, I'm still not sure what the NDP is all about on the federal level. They seem to switch stance according to public opinion.

I am not sure if Trudeau will be able to charm Quebecers, his father was not a popular figure with most Quebecers. If Trudeau wants the vote, he needs to do it by convincing Quebec that their only way to get rid of the Conservatives is to vote Liberal. That the votes from Quebec will bring them over the Torries but it won't cut it if they vote NDP. That's the strategy he needs to adopt.

Latest polls in Quebec have both the Liberals and the NDP at 34%, Bloc is at 17% and Torries are trailing at 12%.

I absolutely hate the Torries' foreign policies. We used to be a nation that was focus on peace missions and open dialogues. Not the case anymore.
I completely disagree with Bill C-10.
I disagree with the way the Torries are passing legislation through Omnibus bill, which I believe is unconstitutional.
How many times did the Supreme Court reversed decisions made by Harper and its party? Too many.
Time to go buh-bye as far as I am concerned.

Problem is that I just don't think Trudeau is ready to be PM. Can you imagine Trudeau and Putin talking about Ukraine? I can't.

icecream
08-28-2014, 01:26 PM
To be quite honest, I'm still not sure what the NDP is all about on the federal level. They seem to switch stance according to public opinion.

I am not sure if Trudeau will be able to charm Quebecers, his father was not a popular figure with most Quebecers. If Trudeau wants the vote, he needs to do it by convincing Quebec that their only way to get rid of the Conservatives is to vote Liberal.

I absolutely hate the Torries' foreign policies. We used to be a nation that was focus on peace missions and open dialogues. Not the case anymore.
I completely disagree with Bill C-10.
I disagree with the way the Torries are passing legislation through Omnibus bill, which I believe is unconstitutional.
How many times did the Supreme Court reversed decisions made by Harper and its party? Too many.
Time to go buh-bye as far as I am concerned.

Problem is that I just don't think Trudeau is ready to be PM. Can you imagine Trudeau and Putin talking about Ukraine? I can't.
You are right, the NDP seems to change the party stance according to public opinion. They seem overly desperate to hold the next government, which sends me red flags. It's also why so many have crossed the floor or now sit as independents. They really need a solid platform for a few elections to get trust. Otherwise it is another spot where the Conservatives can attack with their endless attack ads.

I think, not being from Quebec so my thought might be really stupid, that Trudeau has the best chance of winning in Quebec. It's true his father is unpopular there but he could easily say that, realistically, the NDP won't win this next election. Voting for him will lead to a Liberal government because it seems like the rest of Canada will go that way. While if the NDP win Quebec again, it could be a Conservative minority government.

It's really fucking pathetic that we have a government passing massive bills that receive little to no debate in the House. Only to have major parts of it amended because they are unconstitutional. Really, only 39.6 percent of the voters supported the Conservatives. It seems backwards that gives them a majority to do whatever they want. Not that I have a problem with having a conservative party. You need all sides represented in a healthy democracy. Just that this one is so corrupt and morally bankrupt, it's absurd. Play by the rules and I'm ok with them.

Trudeau does seem a little immature or naive at times. Like removing all senators from the Liberal caucus. It doesn't do anything, total publicity stunt because the senate is so unpopular right now. As for him dealing with the Ukraine, I don't really see anyone dealing with it. The whole situation is crazy. I like Mulcair the best out of the major leaders. Just don't think the NDP have a chance coming up.

icecream
08-28-2014, 01:39 PM
And here is a demeaning article from the local paper about the mayoral race in Victoria. Bachelor Canada contestant is running in our election. I'll vote for her just because.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/bachelor-canada-contestant-eyes-victoria-mayor-s-chair-1.1332053

botley
08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't know much about the Toronto mayor race. How is Soknacki doing in the polls?
You mean those fundamentally flawed & biased surveys where they set up robots to call landlines and ask people misleading questions when their guard is up? I don't know what relevancy that has; they're always wrong. Soknacki is having a great week with tons of donations and volunteers flocking to his campaign. He has lots of high-profile mayoral debates coming up, which he will continue to win because he's the only one articulating real policies of value. His AMA on Reddit this week was a triumph. Twitter loves him. Will this translate to a win? I don't know, the election is still two months away. Sure hope so.

Deepvoid
08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
I think, not being from Quebec so my thought might be really stupid, that Trudeau has the best chance of winning in Quebec. It's true his father is unpopular there but he could easily say that, realistically, the NDP won't win this next election. Voting for him will lead to a Liberal government because it seems like the rest of Canada will go that way. While if the NDP win Quebec again, it could be a Conservative minority government.

I think it's exactly how it's gonna play out. If Quebec goes NDP, Torries will have a minority government. If we go Liberals, it will surely put them on top of the Torries.
I believe the Liberals need a strong turnout in Quebec in order to form the next government.

Ukraine was just one example. I just don't see Trudeau mingling with the big boys just yet.

icecream
08-28-2014, 03:04 PM
You mean those fundamentally flawed & biased surveys where they set up robots to call landlines and ask people misleading questions when their guard is up? I don't know what relevancy that has; they're always wrong. Soknacki is having a great week with tons of donations and volunteers flocking to his campaign. He has lots of high-profile mayoral debates coming up, which he will continue to win because he's the only one articulating real policies of value. His AMA on Reddit this week was a triumph. Twitter loves him. Will this translate to a win? I don't know, the election is still two months away. Sure hope so.
Yeah, those things that had the NDP to win B.C and Wild Rose to win in Alberta!
That was a stupid question :p

icecream
08-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Ukraine was just one example. I just don't see Trudeau mingling with the big boys just yet.
Yeah, I get what you mean. He doesn't seem mature enough quite yet. But, he did grow up in politics so he could surprise us.

botley
08-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Yeah, those things that had the NDP to win B.C and Wild Rose to win in Alberta!
That was a stupid question :p
I have nothing against the polling firms that are upfront about their sampling methodologies, consistently work to improve them, and don't misrepresent their findings as anything other than a guess based on limited data... but they're not the ones who do these widespread opinion polls. Our news media have been particularly gullible lately about reporting these without bothering to question their validity, and base their election narratives on fairytales as a result.

icecream
08-28-2014, 03:46 PM
I have nothing against the polling firms that are upfront about their sampling methodologies, consistently work to improve them, and don't misrepresent their findings as anything other than a guess based on limited data... but they're not the ones who do these widespread opinion polls. Our news media have been particularly gullible lately about reporting these without bothering to question their validity, and base their election narratives on fairytales as a result.
I read this article a while back about how the media presents polling. I think it was in CJPS but I can't remember the name. If I find it I'll post it, if you are interested.

botley
08-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Please do!

botley
08-29-2014, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I get what you mean. He doesn't seem mature enough quite yet. But, he did grow up in politics so he could surprise us.
Immaturity? Pure incompetency is how the arch-conservative commenters (avowedly small-c but really big-C cheerleading blowhards-for-hire like Michael Coren (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/09/trudeau-not-ready-for-prime-time#.U-fZPpmnZjQ.twitter)) are spinning it. I'm not surprised Justin Trudeau learned all the manipulative glad-handing from his father, yet inherited none of the wit for doggedly uncompromising rebuffs to attacks like this. He's already been torn to shreds in the conservative-leaning old guard of his dad's party by his unfathomably stupid move to pull his Liberal party entirely out of the Senate.

Deepvoid
08-29-2014, 07:45 AM
This one is making the rounds. He's getting a lot of heat from every political party.
NFA is obviously ecstatic about that picture; claiming it's a small step towards whatever the fuck their goal is.

Mackay said it was to support the military. What a dufus. That lady to his right with the fake glasses and nose is member of the NFA.

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/canada/2014/08/27/justice_minister_peter_mackay_poses_in_progun_tshi rt/peter_mackay_gun_sweater.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jp g

icecream
08-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Immaturity? Pure incompetency is how the arch-conservative commenters (avowedly small-c but really big-C cheerleading blowhards-for-hire like Michael Coren (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/09/trudeau-not-ready-for-prime-time#.U-fZPpmnZjQ.twitter)) are spinning it. I'm not surprised Justin Trudeau learned all the manipulative glad-handing from his father, yet inherited none of the wit for doggedly uncompromising rebuffs to attacks like this. He's already been torn to shreds in the conservative-leaning old guard of his dad's party by his unfathomably stupid move to pull his Liberal party entirely out of the Senate.
The whole ladies night with Justin Trudeau was really fucking weird in my opinion. I think it was at that event where he said he really admired China. Of course, in context what he said made sense, but it just gives the Conservative Party more stuff to fire his way come election time. He seems to speak before he thinks a lot of the time. He has gotten better at it, but there is still room for improvement.

icecream
08-30-2014, 03:30 PM
This one is making the rounds. He's getting a lot of heat from every political party.
NFA is obviously ecstatic about that picture; claiming it's a small step towards whatever the fuck their goal is.

Mackay said it was to support the military. What a dufus. That lady to his right with the fake glasses and nose is member of the NFA.

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/canada/2014/08/27/justice_minister_peter_mackay_poses_in_progun_tshi rt/peter_mackay_gun_sweater.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jp g
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2014/08/20140829-071910.html

If you can even stand Sun News, they wrote a really shitty article about it.

Deepvoid
08-30-2014, 04:08 PM
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2014/08/20140829-071910.html

If you can even stand Sun News, they wrote a really shitty article about it.

To answer your question, no I can't stand the Sun. National Post is another that I can barely deal with. A bit too far right for me.
Nation Post always been on board the Quebec bashing train too.

icecream
09-01-2014, 02:04 AM
Please do!
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8649090&fileId=S0008423912000327

There is the article and title. I'm sure you can find a version that doesn't cost 30$.

Deepvoid
09-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Harper has just announced that he is sending boots to the ground in Iraq. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-military-advisers-join-fight-against-isis-in-iraq-1.2755841)

thelastdisciple
09-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Where do you guys go usually to get your daily dose of Canadian politics? I'd like a new place to peruse that's well balanced, reasonable and legit. What would you recommend?

Deepvoid
09-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Where do you guys go usually to get your daily dose of Canadian politics? I'd like a new place to peruse that's well balanced, reasonable and legit. What would you recommend?

Good question. I'm getting it from various newsite like CBC, La Presse (French), Huffington Post.
I glance at the National Post just for shits and giggles but they are definitely not well balanced.
I'm looking for other alternatives as well.

mfte
09-05-2014, 01:58 PM
As much as I would love Socknacki to be Mayor I dont think will be able to get the votes.

He is by far the most reasonable but he doesnt stand out in the way that Tory or Chow or the fat man do.

Plus you have to consider the voting majority lives outside Toronto in the burbs and no one that Ive talked to out there even has his on their radar.

botley
09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
As much as I would love Socknacki to be Mayor I dont think will be able to get the votes.

He is by far the most reasonable but he doesnt stand out in the way that Tory or Chow or the fat man do.

Plus you have to consider the voting majority lives outside Toronto in the burbs and no one that Ive talked to out there even has his on their radar.
We're working on it (I'm a volunteer leader for his campaign); don't write him off just yet. If you'd like to see him be mayor please consider making a donation to www.soknacki2014.com — every little bit helps!

mfte
09-05-2014, 03:43 PM
We're working on it (I'm a volunteer leader for his campaign); don't write him off just yet. If you'd like to see him be mayor please consider making a donation to www.soknacki2014.com (http://www.soknacki2014.com) — every little bit helps!

OK. I just pledged some cash.

What Soknacki needs to win over the blue collars is a Canadian icon who can speak to them in a language that they understand.

What's Ed the Sock doing these days?

There are many reasons why this would be perfect.

icecream
09-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Harper has just announced that he is sending boots to the ground in Iraq. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-military-advisers-join-fight-against-isis-in-iraq-1.2755841)
Ugh, 30 days will turn into six months and that will be three years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-kerry-isis-obama-destroy-coalition-2014-9

icecream
09-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Everything will have a bias. I just get mine from lots of sources. CBC, the local papers are good enough. Sometimes I'll check out Sun News (conservative) and Rabble (left wing) just to see what they are up to. Vice Canada actually has some really interesting articles on a regular basis.

botley
09-05-2014, 06:10 PM
OK. I just pledged some cash.

What Soknacki needs to win over the blue collars is a Canadian icon who can speak to them in a language that they understand.

What's Ed the Sock doing these days?

There are many reasons why this would be perfect.
Thanks for the donation! That's a great idea, I just reached out to him on Twitter.

mfte
09-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Sarah Thompsons dropped out of the mayoral race. I don't know how she ever hoped to win. Now or back in 2010.

icecream
09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lost-franklin-expedition-ship-found-in-the-arctic-1.2760311

One of the Franklin ships was found. We can all go back to not giving a shit. I guess it's kinda cool but Harper has a creepy obsession with it. If only he cared that much for important things like Aboriginal issues...

'"The Inuit have said for generations that one of their hunters saw a ship in that part of the passage, abandoned and ended up wrecking…. It's exactly where this guy said it was."'

And that wasn't the first place they looked? WTF could have saved six years of searching.

mfte
09-09-2014, 03:50 PM
1.) Not sure why this is news
2.) Not sure why this article mentions twice that Mike Tyson is a convicted the rapist.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/09/mayor-ford-meeting-mike-tyson-at-city-hall/

mfte
09-09-2014, 07:54 PM
1.) Not sure why this is news
2.) Not sure why this article mentions twice that Mike Tyson is a convicted the rapist.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/09/mayor-ford-meeting-mike-tyson-at-city-hall/

shut up.

Well so much for this dream. Soknacki dropping out

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/09/david-soknacki-to-drop-out-of-mayors-race/

botley
09-10-2014, 12:37 AM
My thoughts here (http://botley.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/toronto-now-is-the-time-to-pay-attention/).

icecream
09-11-2014, 10:17 PM
My thoughts here (http://botley.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/toronto-now-is-the-time-to-pay-attention/).
With Ford having a tumor and possibly having to drop out of the race, would it be possible for Soknacki to jump back in the race? I don't really know the rules surrounding that.

botley
09-11-2014, 11:04 PM
No, his decision was final. I was in the room when he announced he would drop out and he made that quite clear.

icecream
09-11-2014, 11:48 PM
No, his decision was final. I was in the room when he announced he would drop out and he made that quite clear.
That's too bad. I know absolutely nothing about the Toronto mayor thing other than it's Ford v.s non-Ford. Say, if Ford drops out and a big chunk of the electorate has to choose between the other candidates, who do you think has the best chance in winning? Kinda big question, just wondering and you are probably the closest source to Toronto I have lol

mfte
09-12-2014, 12:04 PM
That's too bad. I know absolutely nothing about the Toronto mayor thing other than it's Ford v.s non-Ford. Say, if Ford drops out and a big chunk of the electorate has to choose between the other candidates, who do you think has the best chance in winning? Kinda big question, just wondering and you are probably the closest source to Toronto I have lol

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/12/rob-ford-withdraws-from-mayoral-race/

Well Ford is out. Not sure if that means that Doug Ford can't jump in, although that thug doesnt have the charisma of his little brother.

Now it's between Tory and Chow.... that's like choosing if Id rather drink crab juice or puddle water.

icecream
09-12-2014, 12:10 PM
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/12/rob-ford-withdraws-from-mayoral-race/

Well Ford is out. Not sure if that means that Doug Ford can't jump in, although that thug doesnt have the charisma of his little brother.

Now it's between Tory and Chow.... that's like choosing if Id rather drink crab juice or puddle water.
Wow, that's crazy how much the election has changed in just a few days. I can't stand Ford as a person but hope he fights the tumor.

Deepvoid
09-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Doug is in fact jumping in.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/toronto2014election/2014/09/12/rob_ford_withdraws_replaced_on_mayor_ballot_by_dou g.html

icecream
09-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Is Doug as popular as Rob with Ford Nation?

mfte
09-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Is Doug as popular as Rob with Ford Nation?

This is to be seen but as I said before, Doug doesn't have the likability or charisma that his brother has... you know when it comes to "the people" and returning phone calls or whatever he says he does. Personally I don't think he stands much of a chance. Then again no one thought Rob stood a chance last election.

botley
09-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Rob's nephew Mikey has withdrawn his nomination for Ward 2 councillor so that Rob can still run for his old seat on council. It's a desperate, cynical move. I'm excited to not have this awful man as our Mayor after Oct. 27, but we're not rid of him just yet.

Meanwhile, the plan in Ottawa is to turn our country into "a compliant resource colony" of Chinese jurisdiction (http://t.co/5tUyIVxPsp).

mfte
09-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Meanwhile, the plan in Ottawa is to turn our country into "a compliant resource colony" of Chinese jurisdiction (http://t.co/5tUyIVxPsp).

Had to sell Canada's energy off to someone. I mean it's not like Obama wants to deal with us.

icecream
09-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Had to sell Canada's energy off to someone. I mean it's not like Obama wants to deal with us.
It's not the fact they are selling the energy, but the way the federal gov has gone about doing so.

Thoooough, I would argue selling the energy in the first place is unethical. Fuck the oil sands.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-china-investment-treaty-to-come-into-force-oct-1-1.2764075
More on the treaty

botley
09-12-2014, 04:21 PM
We are locked into this deal now for the next THIRTY-ONE YEARS. Never mind that it's still being challenged in court by our First Nations leaders; now that it's ratified China owns our asses. Forget due process, forget democracy. Think anyone will even care enough to vote out the Harper Conservatives?

thelastdisciple
09-12-2014, 07:22 PM
We might as well just become part of China at this point, burn our Canadian flags and put up Chinese ones... ugh.

icecream
09-12-2014, 08:22 PM
I'll only be fifty two when it expires...

Deepvoid
09-13-2014, 11:25 AM
The FIPA treaty with China is pretty bad indeed. Problem is that a majority of votes are low-informed voters and are probably unaware of what's going on with this because it doesn't affect their day-to-day routine.

icecream
09-13-2014, 12:16 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/how-doug-ford-s-political-skills-and-baggage-will-affect-his-mayoral-candidacy-1.2764918

Don't know how useful this is for people living in Toronto, but as someone who knows very little about Doug Ford it was pretty interesting.

Deepvoid
09-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Rob Ford diagnosed with "rare" malignant tumor in abdomen. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/rob-ford-health/article20639605/)

Given his general physical condition (drugs, alcohol), I don't know how much of a fight he can put up.
Best of luck to him and his family.

icecream
09-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Rob Ford diagnosed with "rare" malignant tumor in abdomen. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/rob-ford-health/article20639605/)

Given his general physical condition (drugs, alcohol), I don't know how much of a fight he can put up.
Best of luck to him and his family.
Either he lives or hes doesn't. Either way, this right wing populist attitude seems to be growing in Canadian politics.

With the NDP trying to bring out the 15$ an hour for a federal minimum wage, I hope that brings more people to the social democratic side of politics. So what, I lean to the left, to the point of falling over to my left side. People in B.C, and I assume the rest of Canada, deserve more than what's provided. Canadian social services have fallen way behind what would be American or another nation. I want to go full Nordic.

Deepvoid
09-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Either he lives or hes doesn't. Either way, this right wing populist attitude seems to be growing in Canadian politics.

With the NDP trying to bring out the 15$ an hour for a federal minimum wage, I hope that brings more people to the social democratic side of politics. So what, I lean to the left, to the point of falling over to my left side. People in B.C, and I assume the rest of Canada, deserve more than what's provided. Canadian social services have fallen way behind what would be American or another nation. I want to go full Nordic.

It's all part of the Torries strategy.
- Cut in every social programs on the federal to a point where services are lacking everywhere.
- Announce a budget surplus
- Run you next elections on lowering taxes for the middle class

As far as I am concerned, it's not how you should run a country but that's just me. I've always been leaning left from the center.

botley
09-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Fiscally conservative policy is fine by me. I just wish the PMO wasn't operating by diktat and usurping Parliament's rights.

Deepvoid
09-18-2014, 10:03 AM
There's a difference between being fiscally responsible and butchering services provided by the government to achieve same goal. Budget surplus can be obtained by increasing revenues and cutting expenses. You can balance both nicely.
Just take the cuts made in CBC/Radio-Canada which led to over 650 people losing their jobs. In fact, the Torries have butchered CBC/Radio-Canada to a point where some are questioning it's existence in the near future.
Like I said, it's too easy to cut everything and then promise a tax cut just before the elections.

botley
09-18-2014, 11:41 AM
To be fair, the CBC was becoming increasingly irrelevant in many departments. I would mourn completely losing it, particularly the excellent radio news and current events programming, but now that Sportsnet owns broadcast rights to NHL hockey, they are struggling to find other ways of staying on peoples' radar.

Far worse, under the banner of "butchering services" that are actually prudent to keep, is this government's treatment of environmental research programs, especially the abhorrent practice of muzzling government-funded scientists from speaking to the media about their work.

icecream
09-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Far worse, under the banner of "butchering services" that are actually prudent to keep, is this government's treatment of environmental research programs, especially the abhorrent practice of muzzling government-funded scientists from speaking to the media about their work.

Shit like this really pisses me off: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lesslie-askin-71-shocked-to-be-deemed-a-kinder-morgan-terror-threat-1.2769777

Can't be anti-pipeline anymore without the risk of being deemed a terror threat. It's almost worse here than in the States.

botley
09-20-2014, 09:17 AM
More on the devastating FIPA ratification from Elizabeth May.

https://soundcloud.com/cbcvictoria/elizabeth-may-is-raising-the

botley
09-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Downtown Toronto as a ward bloc will vote for Olivia Chow as Mayor on Oct. 27, that is my "gee I wonder how'd he figure that out" prediction. Unfortunately, I have no idea if their votes count for anything against the polling numbers still making headlines in Ford-landia (when I last heard, Chow's numbers had tanked in Scarborough, whereas Ford Nation is relatively unswayed by Tory's capable glad-handing), but I'm calling it on her behalf for the most "downtown" of us, in terms of Ward locations pretty much everywhere from below St. Clair West village -- which is not a Disaster, but a little city in itself, just needing a little help with its growing pains into some possible future upgrades with the nearby new Crosstown LRT line creating development.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that although it may look all Olivia Red on the map downtown after election day, it's still Ford Blue out the 'burbs and they have the numbers to beat us. So, Ford More Years? Or maybe Doug Ford'll behave well and poll high enough to split the support of Tory, who's currently leading, maybe even enough to sink them both below Olivia (who can't sink much lower before actually bleeding out diehards into the Tory camp). So this will be a nailbiter.

A slightly less worrying race, but one no less interesting, is shaping up against TDSB trustee Sheila Ward. Her embarrassing discretionary spending antics spilled all over the headlines last week and she never responded to my e-mail about that $2,000 the Toronto Star reported she spent on her assistant's training program for website-building tools that are supposedly open-sourced. Public schools are being squeezed out of the downtown core because of this loony bin that is the education file. The various education boards are the third-biggest item (second to the transit and police files) that the city's voters supposedly control. Yet you can't raise kids down here anymore, unless you're rich, because the public schools are in rotting, collapsing buildings sitting atop very valuable public land. Chris Moise, endorsed by Kristin Wong-Tam for an area encompassing both her ward and my ward's councillor's, is running against the incumbant Ward (http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2014/09/18/wannabe_tdsb_trustees_sign_pledge_to_behave_respec t_tax_dollars.html). It's a huge bell-weather race, and I hope people wake up to it.

icecream
10-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Would it be best if the greater Toronto region were split? Downtown having its own mayor and council while the suburbs do their own thing?

The Greens were the only party to vote against C-41 today.

Deepvoid
10-04-2014, 09:27 AM
So we're officially at war. We're sending 6 CF-18 for 6 months (for now). No boots on the ground (for now).
Harper wouldn't tell the costs of the mission.
Thank god we can fill this huge military gap left by other nations with our high-tech top of the line CF-18.

I still think this isn't our war to fight but whatever. I guess we need to help cleanup other people's mess.
Never thought I'd say that but I miss Chrétien. Made the right decision back in 2003 not to get involved.

icecream
10-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I agree. Destroying the IS will just make another mess a few years down the road.

icecream
10-16-2014, 11:55 AM
http://rabble.ca/news/2014/10/olivia-chow-can-win-torontos-mayoral-race?utm_content=buffer90952&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
botley

Article about Tory's record regarding women. Don't know how you feel about Rabble though

botley
10-16-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm not a big fan of either Tory or Chow. They were my third and second choices, respectively, before Sok dropped out. I like Chow's policies better, but she's spineless and doesn't follow through with enough passion or advocate with enough persuasion to accomplish what she says she'll do. At the end of the day, our city council holds the cards, the mayor is just the loudest voice among them. If you want the city to hire more women, vote for a female councillor.

icecream
10-17-2014, 06:36 PM
So we're officially at war. We're sending 6 CF-18 for 6 months (for now). No boots on the ground (for now).
Harper wouldn't tell the costs of the mission.
Thank god we can fill this huge military gap left by other nations with our high-tech top of the line CF-18.

I still think this isn't our war to fight but whatever. I guess we need to help cleanup other people's mess.
Never thought I'd say that but I miss Chrétien. Made the right decision back in 2003 not to get involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/canada-s-combat-mission-in-iraq-could-last-beyond-6-months-1.2803575

So the mission could last longer than six months but the gov would have to authorize it.

Deepvoid
10-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Soldier shot at War Memorial and shooting at Parliament Hill. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parliament-hill-attacked-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-in-ottawa-1.2808710)

Unconfirmed reports state that the suspect has been shot and killed.

On a related note:

Editorial by Glenn Greenwald following the incident in St-Jean yesterday. (https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/22/canada-proclaiming-war-12-years-shocked-someone-attacked-soldiers/)

snaapz
10-22-2014, 12:21 PM
http://rabble.ca/news/2014/10/olivia-chow-can-win-torontos-mayoral-race?utm_content=buffer90952&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
@botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469)

Article about Tory's record regarding women. Don't know how you feel about Rabble though

"He was president and CEO of Rogers from 1995 to 2003 and on their board since 2009. Rogers has never been known as a good employer of women..."

I have been working for Rogers for 8 years (cable, in an office, I work directly with male and female co workers, mgt and directors) and I can confirm that the above comment is absolute & complete rubbish. Rogers is very diverse and offers equal opportunity to everyone. Gender, and ethnic background, is not an issue here.

Lew
10-22-2014, 01:03 PM
canada has become a very poorly drawn caricature.

Canuckle
10-22-2014, 01:47 PM
... and how did your edit add clarity to your statement?

icecream
10-22-2014, 07:12 PM
"He was president and CEO of Rogers from 1995 to 2003 and on their board since 2009. Rogers has never been known as a good employer of women..."

I have been working for Rogers for 8 years (cable, in an office, I work directly with male and female co workers, mgt and directors) and I can confirm that the above comment is absolute & complete rubbish. Rogers is very diverse and offers equal opportunity to everyone. Gender, and ethnic background, is not an issue here.

Women in higher positions might be what the author is talking about. Not saying I doubt you one bit. How is diversity higher up in the company?

And yesterday and today have been fucked. Apparently there are other suspects related to the shooting on the lose in Ottawa.

onthewall2983
10-22-2014, 08:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVDHLfwngvE

allegro
10-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Oh, man, that made me tear up, that singing.

marodi
10-22-2014, 09:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVDHLfwngvE

Very nice gesture; very much appreciated up here.

Dra508
10-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Really nice gesture. Most hockey fans who go to games in the US know the words without the karaoke prompting. It's by far a better song than ours and always played before the games.

botley
10-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Oh, man, that made me tear up, that singing.
If you have tears, prepare to shed them now. Undoubtedly this is the saddest report (http://ow.ly/DfG0Z) I've seen on this whole episode.

EDIT: okay, never mind, I just saw this (https://twitter.com/sladurantaye/status/525264341168185345/photo/1). I'm out of tears.

allegro
10-23-2014, 08:27 PM
If you have tears, prepare to shed them now. Undoubtedly this is the saddest report (http://ow.ly/DfG0Z) I've seen on this whole episode.

EDIT: okay, never mind, I just saw this (https://twitter.com/sladurantaye/status/525264341168185345/photo/1). I'm out of tears.

Oh, God, me too :-(

botley
10-23-2014, 10:42 PM
The voice of reason spoke eloquently in Parliament (http://elizabethmaymp.ca/speech-shooting-on-parliament-hill) today, and in this clip before the press.
(http://youtu.be/re2TMcIZUdE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re2TMcIZUdE

miss k bee
10-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Heartbreaking!

mfte
10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/23/canada-security-parliament-attack-powers-toughen

Deepvoid
10-28-2014, 12:50 PM
John Tory began his victory speech results in a flurry of insults on Twitter.
Minds were blown...

"why is john tory speaking french is this an oral exam?"

"Hey John Tory. This is a municipal election. French is not required."

"Anyone know the strategy behind John Tory starting his victory speech with French?"

Of course people tend to forget that Canada has two official languages.
Anyhow, is this guy any good? I haven't followed the race closely this time around. More conservative or liberal?

mfte
10-28-2014, 03:29 PM
John Tory began his victory speech results in a flurry of insults on Twitter.
Minds were blown...

"why is john tory speaking french is this an oral exam?"

"Hey John Tory. This is a municipal election. French is not required."

"Anyone know the strategy behind John Tory starting his victory speech with French?"

Of course people tend to forget that Canada has two official languages.
Anyhow, is this guy any good? I haven't followed the race closely this time around. More conservative or liberal?

He is more conservative (historically speaking) than liberal but has spoken about supporting some more left leaning initiatives like revitalizing city parks, funding social housing (not much evidence that he is doing anything new apart from pledging funding that the city already committed to), arts&culture, expanding bike lanes in the city, environment (proposed to create some kind of city advisory board) but most of these initiatives have not been backed up in terms of how/who is going to pay for it. He has mentioned the need for reform in police services but his 2003 mayoral platform included hiring more cops, outlawing pan handling and giving them more access to dna samples... but 2003 had less attention on the topic of cops needlessly killing people.

The one thing that he has been pretty vague about is the possible expansion of the island airport. I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen especially since the plan to create a reliable rail system to shuttle to and from Pearson.

It is to be seen what is going to happen with him at the helm but a lot of people in this city would have voted for an inanimate carbon rod if it meant getting the Ford's out of the big seat.

botley
10-28-2014, 03:57 PM
His transit plan is moronic, but you're right, Ford's was worse.

mfte
10-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Any one been following at all the newest Ford Clan member to get into politics? Michael "mikey" Ford?

I don't know too much about him apart the fact that he is young.

The reason I mention him is because he reminds me of Chaz Bono. I think that he might be one of those XXY double chromosome males.

Deepvoid
01-27-2015, 02:45 PM
I just realized I'm posting more in the US political thread than the Canadian one.
I don't want to let this thread die.

We're having our share of interesting stories too. Starting with the federal budget being pushed back.
After announcing a surplus, every signs are now pointing to a small deficit. It's sad that our economy relies so much on oil.
Oh well, I guess Harper is gonna have to find some new arguments to seduce the electoral vote come October. The game has changed.

Deepvoid
02-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Historical decision by the SCC who ruled that the ban on doctor assisted suicide is unconstitutional. (http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/06/supreme-court-of-canada-strikes-down-ban-on-doctor-assisted-suicide/)

Deepvoid
02-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Harper set the table with Bill C-51.
Government directives have been issued and we're seeing the first result.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/anti-petroleum-movement-a-growing-security-threat-to-canada-rcmp-say/article23019252/

"The RCMP has labelled the “anti-petroleum” movement as a growing and violent threat to Canada’s security".

With the anti-terrorist bill, environmentalist will now be watched and monitored because RCMP has labeled them as a threat to national security.
How long until Unions are put on that list?

This is some scary stuff. RCMP following government's lines on the enemy of the day.

Lew
02-22-2015, 04:38 PM
well, not about canadian politics per se...but he is canadian and i think his blog is fabulous.

https://marknesop.wordpress.com/

and this one, too...

http://vineyardsaker.blogspot.ca/

interesting reads, both of them.

Deepvoid
02-23-2015, 04:12 AM
I've been thinking about starting a blog too. Not just about politics though. Still going through ideas.

I'll give those two a read for sur.

Deepvoid
03-13-2015, 01:10 PM
The stupidest comment of the week goes to a Canadian politician. In fact, he's the Saguenay Lac St-Jean mayor in Quebec.

During a radio interview, he said the following about the citizen of his town.
"People are working like niggers"
"Oh sorry, I should not have said that"
'What I meant is, you know, black people work harder. They get paid less and they work really hard. That's what I meant".

Yes it sounds as bad is it is.

Lew
03-13-2015, 02:19 PM
https://marknesop.wordpress.com/2015/03/12/oh-lord-please-dont-let-me-be-misunderstood/#more-3307

ahahahahahahahahahahaha. i just died laughing, then resurrected myself for a read through the comments. died laughing again.
i do love that blog so.

botley
03-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Spring is here. Time to get out and March against the attack on civil liberties that is Bill C-51.

http://we.leadnow.ca/stopc51

Deepvoid
03-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Spring is here. Time to get out and March against the attack on civil liberties that is Bill C-51.

http://we.leadnow.ca/stopc51

Students in Quebec a preparing themselves for another major strike this spring. Not against C-51 but against the Liberals' austerity measures and againt the exploitation of hydrocarbon.

Not sure if it's going to be as massive as in 2012.

botley
03-13-2015, 08:20 PM
If anyone in Toronto comes out to the march tomorrow, maybe I'll see you there! Meet at Nathan Phillips Square, high noon.

icecream
03-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Wish I could be back home to protest this horrible assault on civil liberties in Canada. Catching up on the news here it's unbelievable what the Harper gov. is trying to accomplish.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/topstories/stephen-harper-dumb-to-say-niqab-is-anti-women-charles-taylor-says-1.3013427

Also, Charles Taylor is a badass

mfte
05-07-2015, 09:17 AM
well well well well welly welly well

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-c-51-passes-in-house-of-commons-1.3064235

botley
05-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Vote the bastards out in October. Send a clear fucking message.

icecream
05-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Hopefully the NDP can use the Liberal's support of the bill against them in the next election.

botley
05-09-2015, 11:26 AM
And more importantly against the Conservatives.

Lew
07-07-2015, 12:04 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/86726

ahahahahaha..fabulous....i want one of those shirts just for the irony...

Deepvoid
07-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Bank of Canada slashed the benchmark interest rate to 0.5%
Dollar plunged to 77.54 US cents.

I guess we can thank Harper for sticking all of his eggs in the Alberta oil sands.
Weak dollar would technically mean increase in exports but with an abysmal manufacturing sector, exports have decreased and imports have increased.
I don't like the look of this...

**Edit**

TD is the first major bank to announce a cut of 0.1% of their prime rate.
In other words, since the Bank of Canada cut the benchmark rate by 0.5% since January, the banks only cut their prime rate by 0.25% (.15% in January and now .10%).
Once again, the big banks cashing in over the consumers. This is so frustrating because we can't do anything about it.

botley
07-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Yes we can. Vote Harper out this year.

NDP/Green coalition FTW

Deepvoid
07-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Yes we can. Vote Harper out this year.

NDP/Green coalition FTW

I think the NDP will win but not with a majority.
It could be very interesting. Green only had one seat in 2011. he Bloc, with their their new/old leader back, could add to their 4 seats.
NDP could have a minority government with the balance of the power going to a Green/Bloc coalition, which are at their core, left-leaning parties.

We'll see, what happens. The worst would obviously be another majority for the Conservatives. However, a NPD minority with Cons/Liberals majority opposition wouldn't be so much better. NPD would have to constantly compromise to avoid being overthrown.

botley
07-20-2015, 11:28 AM
I think the NDP will win but not with a majority.
It could be very interesting. Green only had one seat in 2011.
That is true, but they have since added an MP in Ontario with Bruce Hyer crossing the aisle in Thunder Bay to join the Green caucus and there are lots of good prospects to add more in Ontario and more in BC.

The Bloc, with their their new/old leader back, could add to their 4 seats.
He is not doing well anymore in the Québec polls (http://t.co/d0CQ0d2uPV). I doubt they will be in much better shape while the race increasingly becomes Conservative vs. NDP.

Deepvoid
07-20-2015, 11:45 AM
That is true, but they have since added an MP in Ontario with Bruce Hyer crossing the aisle in Thunder Bay to join the Green caucus and there are lots of good prospects to add more in Ontario and more in BC.

He is not doing well anymore in the Québec polls (http://t.co/d0CQ0d2uPV). I doubt they will be in much better shape while the race increasingly becomes Conservative vs. NDP.

Yeah, that's why it's going to be very interesting. Since NDP and Conservatives are neck a neck, every seat will matter. You never who may hold that 1 seat that can shift the power.
We'll know soon enough. Looks like Harper may trigger the elections on August 18.

icecream
07-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Hopefully this is the end of Harper's time as PM. Canadians aren't stupid enough to give the Conservatives another go, I hope.

It will be interesting if the Greens can keep their seats and if May is included in the leaders debate.

botley
08-02-2015, 02:29 PM
May reacts to the official writ drop: "we are ready (http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2672931475/)".

Timinator
08-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Although I'm a Canadian citizen I can no longer vote in elections (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/long-term-expats-don-t-have-right-to-vote-in-federal-elections-court-rules-1.3160110).

marodi
08-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Although I'm a Canadian citizen I can no longer vote in elections (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/long-term-expats-don-t-have-right-to-vote-in-federal-elections-court-rules-1.3160110).

Well that just sucks.

Is the election campaign over yet?

Deepvoid
08-03-2015, 09:27 PM
New poll has the NDP leading at 38%.
Cons are at 28% while the Libs are trailing at 25%.
Bloc has 5% and the Green Party has 3%.
http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/canada/2015/08/03/ndp-surges-past-conservatives-liberals-in-latest-poll.html

Timinator
08-04-2015, 01:25 AM
An outside view of the upcoming Canadian election. (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/03/canada-election-parliament-stephen-harper)

botley
08-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Not looking good for Prime Minister Harper (http://bit.Ly/natobssh5), if the Conservatives squeak through with a minority of seats in a hung Parliament.

Don't let the door hit your ass (http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com//news/canada/canadian-politics/stephen-harpers-breaking-point-staff-talked-seething-pm-down-from-a-full-on-assault-on-supreme-court-new-book-says), Stephen.

Timinator
08-05-2015, 11:06 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/tdickin/nick.jpg

Deepvoid
08-06-2015, 01:48 PM
^ OK this is hilarious. I posted that on my facebook!

It's a shame that Duceppe isn't taking part of the debate. He has always been a great debater.
Oh well, I'll be watching the GOP freakshow anyways so .

Sarah K
08-06-2015, 03:32 PM
I dunno who the fuck Norm is or what is job is, really. But he's the best Twitter politician that I've ever seen.

icecream
08-07-2015, 04:39 PM
I dunno who the fuck Norm is or what is job is, really. But he's the best Twitter politician that I've ever seen.

Norm who?

Anyway, did anyone watch the debate last night? I think Tredeau and May (when they let her speak) did excellent. The NDP making the childcare thing a central issue might hurt them. We are about to go into a recession, most people might find that excessive at the moment.

seasonsinthesky
08-07-2015, 06:22 PM
It was a weird, weird, weird shitshow. Awkward as hell. All of them.

Harper fumbled and "let me be clear"'d his way through approximately 1 repetitive talking point, May aggressively headbutted to achieve... nothing, Trudeau was green as hell the entire time, and Mulcair was either a deer caught in the headlights or a serial killer. I was freaked either way.

I found it pretty clear Mulcair killed it compared to the other three, but I see this comment being made about every other candidate too. Ridiculous. Next round will be much better.

Sarah K
08-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Norm Kelly. He's some sort of politician in Toronto.

Timinator
08-07-2015, 10:57 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/tdickin/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1439005961961.jpg

botley
08-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Next round will be much better.

There is no next round. That's it for all four of them debating in English.

Deepvoid
08-08-2015, 10:04 AM
There is no next round. That's it for all four of them debating in English.
Which is a shame because that debate was way too early on. It was subpar in terms of content.

I thought it was interesting that Quebec's independance was a hot topic despite the fact that Duceppe wasn't even there.
Anyways, Harper has never been a good debater and that hurdle is out of the way.

I think we have a weak crop of leaders. As much as I despise Harper, I don't think Trudeau is much better. At the very least, I don't think he's ready to be PM.
As for Mulcair, I have reserves and not quite sure what he stands for. I think he's a populist. Catering to Quebec with his support of the 50%+1. Told Alberta he was pretty much in favor of more pipelines.
I don't know if I trust the guy.

botley
08-08-2015, 01:27 PM
So vote Green, what's the problem?

Deepvoid
08-08-2015, 02:14 PM
In case I've never stated my position in the past, I'm 100% for Quebec's independance and will be voting BQ.

The above was simply my rant on the lack of enthusiasm I have for our next government, whatever it may be.

marodi
08-09-2015, 12:55 PM
In case I've never stated my position in the past, I'm 100% for Quebec's independance and will be voting BQ.

The above was simply my rant on the lack of enthusiasm I have for our next government, whatever it may be.

Idem.

In other news: This woman's obituary is asking Canadians to vote out Harper (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/29/mary-catherine-finn-obituary-harper-cbc_n_7897858.html)

Mrs Mary Catherine Finn passed away on July 19, in Toronto. She was 72. Rest in peace, Mrs Finn; we will do our best to honor your will.

botley
08-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Elizabeth May has outlined her conditional support (http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11280151&hootPostID=a1ab51172e0e3c8a0a33567ba819c561) for a minority government formed by NDP or Liberals, but not a coalition with Green cabinet members. Good call, Ms. May!

Deepvoid
08-25-2015, 05:12 PM
New Nanos Research poll (http://www.nanosresearch.com/library/polls/Nanos%20Ballot%202015-08-21E.pdf):

30.1% Conservative
29.9% Liberals
29.1% NPD
5.2% Green
4.7% BQ

Is this going to be a photo finish or what?

botley
08-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Deepvoid — it's still August. The election is still more than seven weeks away and so much could happen. It really is anyone's guess at this point what party (or parties) will form government.

Deepvoid
08-28-2015, 01:21 PM
@Deepvoid (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=676) — it's still August. The election is still more than seven weeks away and so much could happen. It really is anyone's guess at this point what party (or parties) will form government.

True. We still have a long way to go.

icecream
08-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know if the Conservatives are still polling well in the praries?

Deepvoid
08-31-2015, 07:58 PM
It's interesting to see Trudeau calling for a deficit in order to stimulate the economy while the NDP is aiming for a balanced budget.
Looks like the parties have some sort of identity crisis.

The NDP looks like it's moving a lot more to the center-right supporting the East Energy pipeline (http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/ndp-energy-minister-wants-to-help-get-energy-east-pipeline-built), balancing the budget and the recent firing of two candidates (http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/thomas-mulcair-is-cracking-down-on-pro-palestinian-sentiment-in-the-ndp) who were pro-Palestinian. On the other hand, their national daycare program, the minimum wage increase (not sure if it's pledged) are clearly left-leaning promises.

I think Mulcair can hurt his party if he keeps playing both side of the fence.

Conservatives are leading in Saskatchewan (tight race) but have strong leads in Alberta and Manitoba.

botley
09-09-2015, 08:22 AM
I think this is a pretty good overall assessment (http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/historic-election) of where we're going to be at come October 20th. Check out that podcast and go back and listen to their archives (Canadaland Commons, and the O.G. Canadaland) as well, if you haven't already.

icecream
09-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I think this is a pretty good overall assessment (http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/historic-election) of where we're going to be at come October 20th. Check out that podcast and go back and listen to their archives (Canadaland Commons, and the O.G. Canadaland) as well, if you haven't already.
Gave it a listen to at work today, great podcast. Have to catch up on the others as well.

As it stands, it's impossible to tell what our next government will be. The only prediction I'm willing to make is Harper will not be our next prime minister. Even if the Conservatives get enough for a minority, I'm willing to bet the other parties will do something to keep the Conservatives from holding government.

icecream
09-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Lego haaaaaair! Harper's got Lego hair. But seriously, I thought the Republican debates last night had lots of interruptions.

botley
09-29-2015, 09:27 AM
The Conservatives still have strong prospects to win at least a minority, with 20 days left to go.

Gee I wonder why (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/more-canadians-are-65-and-over-than-under-age-14-statscan-says-1.3248295)

icecream
10-01-2015, 03:01 PM
The Conservatives still have strong prospects to win at least a minority, with 20 days left to go.

Gee I wonder why (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/more-canadians-are-65-and-over-than-under-age-14-statscan-says-1.3248295)

No surprise. When most young couples have to choose between home ownership or starting a family, of course the birthrate will drop like that.

I remember going to a by election debate a few years ago there was this batshit crazy Christian Heritage candidate. Every question, no matter the topic, he would bring around to "native"Canadians (not aboriginal) having more kids.

botley
10-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Canucks! Don't forget to VOTE YOUR ASS OFF in the advance polls this weekend or on the 19th. #VoteOrDieMotherfucker

Deepvoid
10-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Canucks! Don't forget to VOTE YOUR ASS OFF in the advance polls this weekend or on the 19th. #VoteOrDieMotherfucker

Will be exercising my right to vote on the 19th.
Should be a fun election night. Very tight race.
I think Trudeau may end up with a minority government. Conservatives will end up being the opposition party but won't be able to form a coalition to overthrow the Liberals.

icecream
10-15-2015, 12:31 PM
I was surprised to hear that there were long lineups at the advanced polls. Took me about two minutes when I went on Sunday.

botley
10-17-2015, 01:58 PM
I was surprised to hear that there were long lineups at the advanced polls. Took me about two minutes when I went on Sunday.
Lineup was about 20 minutes for me on Monday. Here's my voting selfie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/botley/f9a94ec4-7cbc-4f76-bdae-794bf2c9c6af_zps20egom1n.jpg

icecream
10-18-2015, 03:36 AM
Lineup was about 20 minutes for me on Monday. Here's my voting selfie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/botley/f9a94ec4-7cbc-4f76-bdae-794bf2c9c6af_zps20egom1n.jpg

Raaaaaad! I didn't bother taking one haha. It was pretty cool, all the volunteers made me feel loved because I was young. Double checked I marked the right box because the Green candidate was right under the conservative one.

Shadaloo
10-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Also went Advanced. Wait time was roughly half an hour.

Today's the day...

M1ke
10-19-2015, 12:02 PM
I voted.

My riding is very typically conservative though. The last time it was even close as in 2004.

Well. keep my fingers crossed anyways.

EDIT: Went in at about 10am, was only about 4 people in line in front of me.

Deepvoid
10-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Voted. Went at around 1:30pm. No one in front of me. Was in and out in 1 minute.

ManBurning
10-19-2015, 02:58 PM
I voted in the advanced polls on The Sunday before Thanksgiving. Was also in and out in about 2 minutes. Nobody was in front of me.

marodi
10-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Voted.

It was a smooth sailing for me too.

Timinator
10-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Sort your shit out, Canada. I may come back one day.

Deepvoid
10-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Liberals are sweeping the Atlantic provinces. It's a red tsunami.

Edit 1: Liberals have won the elections.

icecream
10-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Yes!!!!! No more Harper. Now I'll have to see how my riding goes.

Deepvoid
10-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Still no announcement on minority or majority.

Edit: majority it is.

Timinator
10-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Thank you.

icecream
10-20-2015, 12:15 AM
Wish it wasn't a majority situation. Would like to see the Liberals, NDP and Green work together. And it would have been nice for the Greens to pick up a few here on the island.

botley
10-20-2015, 06:24 AM
Agreed. While I'm no fan of the Liberals (their voting for Bill C-51 was an utter disgrace, and they'd better be prepared to scrap huge portions of it, if not repeal completely), at the very least we are sending more women and Indigenous people to the House of Commons.

mfte
10-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Everyone is so thrilled to have Harper out.... so now that a school teacher/ college drop out is PM things are going to get interesting. Luckily they have a majority gov't so hopefully he gets to surrounds him self with some smart people.

icecream
10-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Going to be interesting for the next few years. I wonder how much of the campaign promises the Liberals will follow through with now they have a large majority. I don't expect them to be as progressive as the campaign was but it's a lot better than what we had before. Also, several prominent MPs from both the Conservatives and NDP lost their seats. I wonder who will rise up now in those parties.

Trudeau has two degrees. I don't think that constitutes as a college dropout. Also, I'd rather have more politicians from other walks of life, (school teacher) than more fucking lawyers.

ManBurning
10-20-2015, 03:26 PM
While not an ideal choice to lead, I think the main mission was to get Stephen Harper the fuck out of there and into retirement. I'd say we did what we set out to accomplish. Now that he's out of the political spectrum, we just need to get through 4 years of Trudeau and then we can vote in the Government we actually wanted this election.

mfte
10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
What I am saying is that he has very little experience in what appears to be anything. He taught French and Math for a few years, tried to go to engineering school and dropped out. I wish him all the best.

Timinator
10-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Harper had to go. The rest of the world was noticing the mean-spiritedness and dictatorial style. People were talking.

And that was foolish. Canada's economic performance during (I won't say under) a Conservative government has remained very good. Canadians enjoy some of the highest quality of life in the world. Harper could have coasted, but instead he decided to pick fights on weird issues like the niqab.

So partly this is so long Harper. It's partly just "throw the bums out", which happens eventually no matter what because the population gets bored.

I expect there will be a small adjustment back towards a kinder, gentler Canada, and things will go on much as they have done.

icecream
10-21-2015, 01:18 AM
I think the Liberals will do a good job. My only concern is we haven't seen how they will govern, yet they have been trusted with a majority. The NDP were pretty spineless this time around. As a progressive, it's kinda weird to support the Liberal party on more issues than the NDP. Aside from the Liberal support of C-51, most of their platform I could agree with. I think the NDP's potential budget as the governing party would have been brutal for it to have been balanced, as promised. I supported the NDP before but I didn't leave the NDP, the NDP left me so I supported and voted Green this election.

As for Trudeau, he has been born and raised in politics. No one else could be better suited for the job. Mulcaire went from a centre-right provincial politician to becoming the leader of the centre-left party federally. That isn't right, it shouldn't be that surprising the traditional choice of Canadian voters won as opposed to a party that hasn't held government with a leader many would view untrustworthy.

And in response to Canada's economy under the Conservatives. Canada was able to get through the great recession mostly in part to previous governments regulations. Those long term cycles in the economy aren't because of the current governing party. Macroeconomics takes places over years. To say it was because of the Conservatives is inherently wrong. Canada's economy was able to be relatively stable because of policy we had in place from years past.

When talking about Trudeau, I'm not trying to come across as I know everything about him and a huge supporter. I had my doubts and bought into the campaign against him as being inexperienced and not worthy. I even have a post or two here earlier about that. But reading more about him and seeing how he ran this campaign has really changed my mind about him.

allegro
10-21-2015, 08:53 AM
It's SO weird seeing another Trudeau as PM. I grew up during the first one, and my Mom is totally fascinated by this, glued to the TV; "LOOK! That's Pierre's son!!"

botley
10-21-2015, 09:38 AM
I remember seeing him give the eulogy on live TV at his father's funeral (http://www.cbc.ca/player/Digital+Archives/Politics/Prime+Ministers/Pierre+Trudeau/ID/2566877548/) in 2000, and thinking "someday soon he may follow in his father's footsteps". Well, here we are!

Anyway, Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau is his wife and she is also amazing:

https://www.facebook.com/CTVNews/videos/1000724256636167/

Lew
10-21-2015, 11:20 AM
i voted green, as i always do. am glad emay kept her seat but was royally bummed that she was it. if the libs put proportional representation into play, the greens will surge in the next election.
may he dump c51 and tpp.
may he be real and true about his promises to first nations.

and: BYE HARPER. BYE BYE BYE.

woo hoo.

marodi
10-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Glad to see Harper gone but for some of us Québécois, Justin Trudeau's father was the Antichrist. Still, the guy deserve a chance and I'm willing to give it to him.

allegro
10-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Glad to see Harper gone but for some of us Québécois, Justin Trudeau's father was the Antichrist. Still, the guy deserve a chance and I'm willing to give it to him.

It was a different time; I still have mental images of Margaret at Studio 54 with Andy Warhol.

marodi
10-21-2015, 03:30 PM
It was a different time; I still have mental images of Margaret at Studio 54 with Andy Warhol.

It was indeed. However our strong disliking of PET started early (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis) and things went downhill from there.

The province of Québec's motto is Je me souviens (I remember). And we do remember.

M1ke
10-22-2015, 11:34 AM
I have mixed feeling about the result.

I was torn between voting liberal or ndp this time around, and would have been exceedingly happy with either one of them forming a minority government.

With a minority one leader could have easily kept the other in check a bit. I'm a little worried that Tredeau may go a little too far with things in a majority, buy I guess we'll have 4 years of watching to see what he does.

Either way though, glad to be rid of Harper. This is undoubtedly a step in the right direction.

Timinator
10-22-2015, 03:03 PM
You might be interested to read this (http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-politics-margaret-trudeau-neil-macdonald-1.3282894).

allegro
10-22-2015, 03:29 PM
You might be interested to read this (http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-politics-margaret-trudeau-neil-macdonald-1.3282894).

Wow, that's interesting. I guess we liked her way more than you guys did. We thought she was hot. And a lot of NYC was / is just like her and accepted her.

She came to NYC to find freedom, and what better place to find it? (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20067568,00.html)

icecream
10-23-2015, 01:14 AM

Very good article. Are you a Canadian living in Australia?

Timinator
10-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Very good article. Are you a Canadian living in Australia?
That I am.

Dra508
10-25-2015, 10:34 AM
I was in Toronto the day after elections and you never would have known there was one. Down here, the losers would still be shedding tears.

botley
10-27-2015, 11:42 AM
I was in Toronto the day after elections and you never would have known there was one. Down here, the losers would still be shedding tears.
Hmm. Well, the 'losers' (if you want to call the incumbent Conservative governing party that... although they still came in second place, and are consequently back to Official Opposition status) didn't ever have much support in downtown Toronto. But, seeing as all four national parties ran candidates in Toronto, and only one of those parties swept every seat in the whole city, there were a lot of disappointed NDP and Green supporters here too. But they're probably more relieved on balance that the Conservatives are out of power, and hoping that Trudeau might keep his promise to reform our electoral system to make it easier for us also-rans to win better representation in Parliament.

botley
10-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Prof. Bothwell, of my alma mater Trinity College, lays out his analysis of the election (http://thevarsity.ca/2015/10/26/if-trudeau-is-wise/) from a historical perspective. Great Tolkien reference.

mfte
01-04-2016, 09:18 AM
I only found out about this last week though the council decision happened over a year ago.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/06/10/toronto_forges_ahead_with_sanctuary_city_plan.html

Toronto has been deemed a Sanctuary City? And the point of this is to offer municipal services to illegals without the fear that they will be reported to immigration? Apparently a number of US cities have adopted this stance which to me sounds a little insane... as a tax payer at least.

Deepvoid
03-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Ex-Minister and now journalist Jean Lapierre along with his wife, sister, two brothers and aunt died in a plane crash in route to his father's funeral at Iles-De-La-Madelaine.

Such a tragedy.

Lew
04-01-2016, 03:06 PM
https://marknesop.wordpress.com/2016/03/25/having-failed-to-achieve-any-of-its-goals-in-crimea-the-west-resorts-to-lying/#more-3737

i hope nobody minds me posting these here...he is canadian, and i believe what he shares is important to canadians...however, if folks feel it should be elsewhere...please do let me know.

i really enjoy the comments on his blogs, too. illuminating.

Deepvoid
05-31-2016, 02:49 PM
Looks like they are gonna change our national anthem for a more "gender neutral".
The lyrics "in all thy sons command" would be replaced by "in all of us command."

Yeah ... we've reached that point.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberal-mp-mauril-belanger-pushes-for-change-in-anthem-wording-1.2924235

mfte
05-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Looks like they are gonna change our national anthem for a more "gender neutral".
The lyrics "in all thy sons command" would be replaced by "in all of us command."

Yeah ... we've reached that point.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberal-mp-mauril-belanger-pushes-for-change-in-anthem-wording-1.2924235

Part of the reasoning being that this dude is gonna die soon and he really wants to live to see his bill passed through.

In other news. No more Pride Week... we now have Pride Month. Good for you Premier Wynne. Now people are talking about this and not the fact how many cuts you made to Ontario healthcare. Mexico and Chile are the only 2 developed nation that have less hospital beds than ON.

Lew
08-19-2016, 12:14 PM
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2016/08/19/how-gord-downie-and-the-tragically-hip-forged-a-relationship-with-our-30-million-hearts-vinay-menon.html

ironically, i feel this belongs in this thread.
xxxooo

Lew
08-22-2016, 02:03 PM
just wanted to say thank you to the almost 12 million canuckles vibing across the country saturday night. canada was closed for business and open for loving.
that was a rare event, y'all. :) <3
love to those outside canada, too. thanks for bumping souls!

botley
08-23-2016, 07:40 AM
I was in an Airbnb cabin on the coast of Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula (twenty minutes' drive away from anything resembling a store or public place of business) and streamed the whole thing on my iPad. No cell service, but good enough broadband to watch the concert! An amazing moment, and no one will be able to explain it to non-Canadians.

At first I was embarrassed for the surface-level boosterism of Gord's statements about the Prime Minister, but on a deeper level I'm glad he drew attention to the issue of Aboriginal and Northern Affairs — no fucking way can Trudeau renege on his promises this time. He's made a pact with a dying hero to all of us in the white mainstream Canadian culture, to honour his word and establish a real relationship with the First Nations.

allegro
08-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Fwiw, there are a lot of Americans who loved the Hip and feel sad for Gord and you Canadians, we were with you :-(

We loved that Toronto Police tweet that Canada was closed. So bittersweet.

botley
08-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Figured you'd be wise to their immense legacy. Always will consider you an honourary Canuck!

Lew
09-01-2016, 11:10 AM
allegro xxxooo glad and not surprised you were with us!!! botley shout out to first nations TWICE!!! And holding baby Trudeau to it...beautiful. Have you ever attended a sunrise ceremony on reserve? I try to rotate Scugog and curve lake and am aiming for attending curve lake in a few weeks.

botley
09-01-2016, 11:38 AM
I haven't attended one, no, it's been a while since I've visited a reserve but I'm lucky to work for an arts organization in Toronto that values and respects Indigenous peoples and makes it part of our mandate to be respectful and welcoming to them. That's definitely not a given, even in today's more liberal climate; there are lots of promise-breakers out there.

thelastdisciple
10-20-2016, 09:59 PM
So... who likes pre-paying for their electricity?

http://cherylgallant.com/2016/10/11/report-from-parliament-oct16/

cashpiles (closed)
10-29-2016, 07:25 PM
looks like a certain University of Toronto professor and non-gender-binary people are at odds with each other. The non-gender-binaries want to the right to be addressed by a pronoun of their choosing, and if not, the person failing to do so will be charged with a hate crime. The professor says this takes away our free speech, since the government will literally be forcing people to use certain language.

mfte
10-31-2016, 06:50 PM
looks like a certain University of Toronto professor and non-gender-binary people are at odds with each other. The non-gender-binaries want to the right to be addressed by a pronoun of their choosing, and if not, the person failing to do so will be charged with a hate crime. The professor says this takes away our free speech, since the government will literally be forcing people to use certain language.

good talk here. guy tends to go off on tangents. from what i understand, which isnt much, he might be exaggerating the supposed terror of the bil c16 amendment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE

icecream
12-24-2016, 02:15 AM
I don't get what the issue is, I wanted to honestly watch the whole thing to give his P.O.V a shot but I can't. If someone wants to be addressed as she/he/them etc... then call them by such. The guy says some discrimination in some instances is fair, what else needs to be said? WTF does Marxism and Soviet history have to do with identity politics? He's just a bitter dick who doesn't want to call a transwomen/men "her/him" or whatever they might identify as. He isn't a brave free speech crusader, just an old bigot who still think Communists are the monsters under your bed.

mfte
12-28-2016, 09:37 AM
His fears of Stalinist like revisionism and labour camps seem a lot pre emptive. I think that the bulk of the concern is that the Bill C16 is vague at best. No one is sure how charges of criminality
may or may not be applied in the future. As far as I am aware this is the first legislation dealing with language that people "have" to use versus language that is prohibited. So at best it's something that's good
and gurantees basic rights to a minority, at worst it might cause infringment on free speech. No one knows because the proposed bill is unclear.

Deepvoid
01-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Kevin O'Leary is our Canadian version of Donald Trump.
He doesn't speak a word in French and decided to officially announced his candidature today, a date after the PCC French debate.
What a coward. Chicken O'Leary.

Lew
01-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Kevin O'Leary is our Canadian version of Donald Trump.
He doesn't speak a word in French and decided to officially announced his candidature today, a date after the PCC French debate.
What a coward. Chicken O'Leary.

kevin o'leary wishes he had half the charm and intelligence of drumpf. (sarcasm)

(shudder) he is a chicken, and i wish the sky would LITERALLY fall on his head.
not looking forward to the probability of following the leader-next-door, but i am not feeling a whole lot of faith in our fellow canadians.
sad, man. very sad.
hell, not feeling much faith in humans, period, these days.

Lew
02-08-2017, 12:54 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/electoral-reform-petition-online-1.3969098

ye fellow canucks...please sign and share if you are so inclined.
thank you.

mfte
02-08-2017, 03:05 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/electoral-reform-petition-online-1.3969098

ye fellow canucks...please sign and share if you are so inclined.
thank you.

Are you not worried that this reform might be detrimental to the well being of Canada? Nothing will get done and coalitions will need to be formed to enact and move legislation. It could take the government 5 years to agree on something because of political discourse. This could also put fringe extreme parties into power.

botley
02-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Are you not worried that this reform might be detrimental to the well being of Canada? Nothing will get done and coalitions will need to be formed to enact and move legislation. It could take the government 5 years to agree on something because of political discourse. This could also put fringe extreme parties into power.
Not in the slightest. Consensus builds good policy.

Lew
02-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Not in the slightest. Consensus builds good policy.

agreed.
i am not comfortable, in any area of life, with the majority of power resting in the hands of one group.
i would very much like to see proportional representation in place here.
yes, the shift will be a shit show, but too bad....it is worth it in the long run. (imo)

Lew
02-09-2017, 12:37 PM

to
my way of thinking this only highlights the need for canadians to be engaged...to demand not only representation but to demand maturity in the people being paid to run our country...

politicians seem to find coalitions/consensus to be scary...look what harper did when the makings of a coalition was staring him in the face...he shut that shit down pronto.
yes, guaranteed, that political discourse (deliberate, likely) will need to addressed...hell, i anticipate deliberate b.s. to try to kill the shift and to maintain a "gee, folks, see what happens if you try to FORCE adults into comprimise" so that we can continue to bounce back and forth between a liberal and conservative majority...because THAT is what best suits career politicians.

and as to fringe parties getting power: ok. if that is the will of the people, so be it. truthfully part of me welcomes the idea, simply to get things MOVING.
proportional representation hasn't caused goverments anywhere else to implode, seems to be working fine...so why not?

i remember voting for proportional representation in the referendum. i remember thinking "fuck me. this will never fly simply because people are so fucking terrified of change." plus, elections canada did a shitastic job of defining clearly what it actually meant. i had a huge number of friends and family who were voting no because they simply didn't understand what it meant.

i, personally, am gratified by the noise canadians are making over this...even if JUST to hold trudeau to his platform promises. we let politicians away with far too much. this engagement is surprising and most welcome, from my perspective.

mfte
03-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Nanny state and Prime Minister Selfie back at it

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/joe-oliver-drunk-on-spending-the-liberal-governments-too-addled-to-see-the-idiocy-of-raising-capital-gains-taxes

Deepvoid
03-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Nanny state and Prime Minister Selfie back at it

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/joe-oliver-drunk-on-spending-the-liberal-governments-too-addled-to-see-the-idiocy-of-raising-capital-gains-taxes

That would be a brutal increase. A friend of mine is about a year away of selling his first plex. Tough luck.

Deepvoid
04-13-2017, 12:12 PM
It's official. Canadian government has introduce bills legalizing recreational marijuana. (http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/liberals-introduce-long-awaited-bills-to-legalize-marijuana-by-july-2018)

When I was a teenager, I always wondered if I would ever witness pot being legal. I guess I will.
I haven't smoked in years but for sure, I'll go through the experience of buying some in complete legality just for the fun of it.

M1ke
04-14-2017, 09:44 PM
It's official. Canadian government has introduce bills legalizing recreational marijuana. (http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/liberals-introduce-long-awaited-bills-to-legalize-marijuana-by-july-2018)

When I was a teenager, I always wondered if I would ever witness pot being legal. I guess I will.
I haven't smoked in years but for sure, I'll go through the experience of buying some in complete legality just for the fun of it.

It'll be strange to be able to buy it legally. And we'll start to get some fairly consistent quality too. Stuff you buy from random people could be awesome or great (and everyone always said that theirs was the best, even if it wasn't).

I mean, it's not like it's been a big deal since high school was over, it's easy to get, and there's almost no enforcement about it, but it'll be strange to see it for sale in stores. I've got a friend who works in vice, and even he said that if you get caught with a bit of pot, 9 times out of 10 they'll just take it away and give you a lecture.

Probably be restricted to the LCBO, but I've heard shoppers drug mart wants to get in on the distribution game too. I haven't had the desire to smoke pot in quite a long time, but everyone I've talked to always said the medicinal plants were way more potent, and the legalisation could very easily lead to higher quality, so maybe I'll give it another go once it's legal.

Deepvoid
04-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Trump slaps 20% tariff on Canadian softwood lumber. (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-to-slap-20-tariff-on-canadian-softwood-lumber-imports-2017-04-24?link=sfmw_fb)

During 2014, 60 companies in Canada exported 58.4 terawatthours (TWh) of electricity into the United States, making up 1.6% of U.S. electricity retail sales.
Trudeau needs to hit back hard. No more cheap water and electricity to the US.

sick among the pure
04-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Trump slaps 20% tariff on Canadian softwood lumber. (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-to-slap-20-tariff-on-canadian-softwood-lumber-imports-2017-04-24?link=sfmw_fb)

During 2014, 60 companies in Canada exported 58.4 terawatthours (TWh) of electricity into the United States, making up 1.6% of U.S. electricity retail sales.
Trudeau needs to hit back hard. No more cheap water and electricity to the US.

As an American living basically at the border, I want to personally apologize for how this shit is affecting you. I have many friends in the Toronto/Hamilton area who are looking at not coming down at all in the next 4 years just to avoid the additional problems going on at the border, and now there's this.

Please, PLEASE call this shit out and hit back against it. Canada is, I would say, our biggest ally and we need you guys to smack us back into shape.

Deepvoid
04-26-2017, 06:02 AM
As an American living basically at the border, I want to personally apologize for how this shit is affecting you. I have many friends in the Toronto/Hamilton area who are looking at not coming down at all in the next 4 years just to avoid the additional problems going on at the border, and now there's this.

Please, PLEASE call this shit out and hit back against it. Canada is, I would say, our biggest ally and we need you guys to smack us back into shape.

We know it's temporary.
To be honest, I don't think you will see retaliation just yet. We know he's gunning for our dairy farmers next.
Problem is that if you hit back, you just don't know how the Trump administration is gonna react. Trump is a loose canon.
Trump is trying to renegotiate NAFTA piece by piece. This is the mistake Trudeau can't make. It's better to scrap the whole thing and negotiate a new trade deal from scratch.

Louie_Cypher
04-26-2017, 07:08 AM
trump stating trade war with Canada where will USC's go now? new Zealand? i suppose, American's to lazy to actually learn another language, or culture, I guess i better stock up on maple syrup
-Louie

M1ke
04-29-2017, 07:46 PM
trump stating trade war with Canada where will USC's go now? new Zealand? i suppose, American's to lazy to actually learn another language, or culture, I guess i better stock up on maple syrup
-Louie

Can you please try to type proper sentances? Most of the time I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Louie_Cypher
04-30-2017, 11:20 AM
sorry about that I'll try and be more concise next time
-Louie

mfte
08-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Canadian revisionism

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/john-ivison-even-john-a-macdonald-isnt-safe-from-a-foolish-revisionism-that-never-ends

botley
08-24-2017, 08:54 PM
^ That whole article is nonsense. "Conceptions of history", my ass!

mfte
08-30-2017, 07:58 AM
^ That whole article is nonsense. "Conceptions of history", my ass!

Think so? I always found articles and opinion pieces from the Post to be mostly even keeled and centrist.

How about this one?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/murray-sinclair-tributes-1.4266983

botley
08-30-2017, 08:39 AM
How about this one?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/murray-sinclair-tributes-1.4266983
Huge respect for Senator Sinclair. That article is a tiny excerpt from a sound-bite in a much longer interview (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/08/29/sen-murray-sinclair-honour-indigenous-heroes-instead-of-debating-john-a-macdonald_a_23189684/), however. He said that we should be adding Indigenous peoples' names and history to our monuments and public buildings, which I completely agree with and support as an initiative to bring more awareness of their history. There's an event venue at a building where I used to work downtown, which is now named for Tom Longboat (a.k.a. Cowagee, in the Onondaga language), whose story is incredibly moving. He literally ran away to freedom from a residential school. I probably would never have found out about him or taken the time to research the history of Indigenous sports in Canada if they hadn't done that naming for him.

tremolo
08-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Huge respect for Senator Sinclair. That article is a tiny excerpt from a sound-bite in a much longer interview (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/08/29/sen-murray-sinclair-honour-indigenous-heroes-instead-of-debating-john-a-macdonald_a_23189684/), however. He said that we should be adding Indigenous peoples' names and history to our monuments and public buildings, which I completely agree with and support as an initiative to bring more awareness of their history. There's an event venue at a building where I used to work downtown, which is now named for Tom Longboat (a.k.a. Cowagee, in the Onondaga language), whose story is incredibly moving. He literally ran away to freedom from a residential school. I probably would never have found out about him or taken the time to research the history of Indigenous sports in Canada if they hadn't done that naming for him.

I find the whole thing to be absurd.

I work in a public institution, and every time there is an event, they start with someone aknowledging we are in the land of.... (name of a tribe) and how grateful we are for it... you know, the whole PC bs, and everyone feels so good about it... how progressive! Aknowledging First Nations...

... but that's the easy way. It requires zero effort, it doesn't make a difference, it doesn't improve anyone's lives, it doesn't change anything. The hypocrisy behind it blows my mind.

I don't have a solution for the conflict, I think it's damaged beyond repair.

botley
08-31-2017, 12:09 PM
I find the whole thing to be absurd.

I work in a public institution, and every time there is an event, they start with someone aknowledging we are in the land of.... (name of a tribe) and how grateful we are for it... you know, the whole PC bs, and everyone feels so good about it... how progressive! Aknowledging First Nations...

... but that's the easy way. It requires zero effort, it doesn't make a difference, it doesn't improve anyone's lives, it doesn't change anything. The hypocrisy behind it blows my mind.

I don't have a solution for the conflict, I think it's damaged beyond repair.
If it's done with respect instead of by rote, it DOES make a difference. Any land acknowledgement should be an opportunity to re-frame our current role in history as one of stewardship, not ownership. Sure, that alone does nothing to actually improve the lot of people living with the lasting impact of genocide and ongoing racist policy. But we have to be AWARE of that history and its ongoing impact today, right?

But yeah, I agree to an extent in that most settler institutions do the bare minimum to make themselves feel good and then think that's enough.

tremolo
08-31-2017, 12:20 PM
If it's done with respect instead of by rote, it DOES make a difference. Any land acknowledgement should be an opportunity to re-frame our current role in history as one of stewardship, not ownership. Sure, that alone does nothing to actually improve the lot of people living with the lasting impact of genocide and ongoing racist policy. But we have to be AWARE of that history and its ongoing impact today, right?

But yeah, I agree to an extent in that most settler institutions do the bare minimum to make themselves feel good and then think that's enough.

I think it's too much of a middle finger... we aknowledge you, bit those pipelines... sorry honey, still happening.

We are dettached from it, it doesn't affect our day to day lives, but for those living it every day it must be very upsetting and frustrating.

I hope it leads to greater change and an improvement in policies, but I'm not expecting much.

Hurray for women though, Trudeau is all for feminism.

botley
08-31-2017, 12:32 PM
But there has definitely been an imbalance at work, at all levels; that's what the root problem is: settlers putting themselves at the centre of every conversation, every decision, without thinking of the impact it has on people who lived here for thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of years. You have to start by listening to and acknowledging those people FIRST and then respect their traditions and history. They voted for Trudeau's Liberals in droves, with the expectation that this would lead to change in attitude and governance. I'm still hopeful although it has been very slow. The limp reception for the Canada 150th celebrations gave me hope that most of us are ready to leave behind the pomp and bullshit for something better.

mfte
09-07-2017, 08:20 AM
I personally don't think that Trudeau's leadership is going to do anything. The inquest into the missing and murdered indigenous women became of mess rather quickly. He just split the Indigenous and Northern affairs into 2 departments as if a larger government bureaucracy is going to tackle the issues at hand. I will give him some credit for planning to finally get rid of the Indian Act and get Ottawa out of the centre of every decision... but we have to wait and see how that goes.

I do agree with you. There are many serious problems that are facing this population but I feel that things like changing names of schools and siccing the government on a star trek fan with a vanity license plate has got more to do with virtue signalling than getting to the roots of said problems.

botley
09-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Politics IS virtue signaling. They are one and the same thing.

mfte
09-07-2017, 11:19 AM
I think virtue signaling is a part of politics and an even larger part of being political but surely there is more to governing a state than that.

M1ke
09-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Conservatives are trying to convince people that new legislation to prevent income sprinkling is going to kill small businesses.

I live in a riding that elected a homophobic teenager to our provincial parliament, and the stupid is already starting to leak out.

Politics are depressing, but at least we're not Americans.

M1ke
04-19-2018, 06:23 AM
Sadly, I think this buffon is going to be our next premier:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-election-doug-ford-minimum-wage-income-tax-1.4623450

tremolo
04-19-2018, 09:07 AM
The problem is there is no viable alternative.

We have that bully/clown Ford with a load of populist crap that a lot of Ontarians will go for, and we have the current populist cunt that screwed us all over with her brilliant hydro crap that will end up costing us more. Accountability? That is a foreign concept in modern politics.

Wynne has been a disaster, and the sad thing is that the alternative is just as bad.

It’s dangerous when these are the alternatives to run the province, it’s just a sympthom of how the civil dimension of our society is just gone.

We’re screwed.

botley
04-24-2018, 06:32 AM
^ Literally every time someone says this I picture Andrea Horwath jumping up and down in a dimly-lit corner, saying "UH — HELLLOOO?? OVER HERE!! VIABLE ALTERNATIVE, POLLING JUST BELOW THE INCUMBANT PREMIER, AHEM!"

mfte
04-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Ford getting the vote instead of Christine Elliot was a big shocker. The joke I tell myself is that at least now he won't run for Mayor.
I see no real viable alternative either.... or that the only viable alternative is not voting.
As stated before Wynn is a disaster, Doug Ford has 100% of the idiocy and 0% of the charm his brother had while the NDP want to spend their way into oblivion while Ontario holds the world's largest sub-sovereign debt.

I see Ford becoming the Premier.... unless Liberals and NDP form a coalition. Can that even be done? Not sure if I have ever heard of that happening in past elections.
June is a few months away. I suppose many things can happen.

tremolo
04-25-2018, 01:18 PM
^ Literally every time someone says this I picture Andrea Horvath jumping up and down in a corner saying "UH HELLLOOO?? OVER HERE!! VIABLE ALTERNATIVE POLLING JUST BELOW THE INCUMBANT PREMIER, AHEM!"

If only candyland was real...

mfte
04-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Trudeau is such a dope. How and why the Canadian government would think it's a good idea to fund activists who oppose the very thing they are trying to build makes so little sense. Since when does teh govt fund activist groups?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-scheer-dogwood-summer-job-analysis-wherry-1.4635344

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/trudeau-defends-summer-jobs-grant-to-anti-pipeline-activists-on-free-speech-grounds

"We will not remove funding from advocacy organizations because we as a government happen to disagree with them," Trudeau said.

This hyprocrisy would be hilarious if it wasn't so mind boggling.

M1ke
04-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Trudeau is such a dope. How and why the Canadian government would think it's a good idea to fund activists who oppose the very thing they are trying to build makes so little sense. Since when does teh govt fund activist groups?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-scheer-dogwood-summer-job-analysis-wherry-1.4635344

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/trudeau-defends-summer-jobs-grant-to-anti-pipeline-activists-on-free-speech-grounds

"We will not remove funding from advocacy organizations because we as a government happen to disagree with them," Trudeau said.

This hyprocrisy would be hilarious if it wasn't so mind boggling.

This is a funny thing to read.

I live in an area where our conservative MP is trying to whip everyone into a frenzy, stating that Trudeau is stifling freedom of religion, because the summer jobs program makes applicants agree that they won't use the funding to advocate or support anything that goes against the charter of rights and freedoms, which includes a womens right to choose.

The conservatives in my area are saying that this is religious persecution of Christians because most churches are anti-abortion.

It's just funny to me, that the conservatives are lashing out at him for rejecting applications because they want to use the funding to support anti-abortion groups, while he's simultaneously getting criticism here for allowing the funds to be used for something that the government is in opposition to, but isn't a charter issue.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

EDIT: Evidence: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/religious-leaders-call-on-trudeau-to-reverse-funding-policy-for-summer-jobs-program/article37737390/

Next time my daughter goes to youth group, I'll see if the letter that my MP has had posted in the church is still up. If it is, I'll post a snapshot of it here. He somehow integrates the payment made to Omar Khadir in there, it'd be hilarious if it weren't obvious that the people in my community fall for this crap.

mfte
04-26-2018, 10:22 PM
But you're making the assumption that all "churches" would use funding for anti-abortion groups. I am definitely not for graphic anti abortion pamphlets or discriminatory hiring policies based on someone's sexual preference etc... but I feel there could have been a better way to prevent funding going to organizations that did promote those things that did not include what some people view as discrimination when it comes to the diversity of their beliefs. So when this anti pipe line activism funding headline came up it felt somewhat hypocritical. Is that not reasonable? I will admit that I do have my own personal bias against Trudeau as well.

M1ke
04-27-2018, 06:46 AM
But you're making the assumption that all "churches" would use funding for anti-abortion groups. I am definitely not for graphic anti abortion pamphlets or discriminatory hiring policies based on someone's sexual preference etc... but I feel there could have been a better way to prevent funding going to organizations that did promote those things that did not include what some people view as discrimination when it comes to the diversity of their beliefs. So when this anti pipe line activism funding headline came up it felt somewhat hypocritical. Is that not reasonable? I will admit that I do have my own personal bias against Trudeau as well.

I'm not making any assumptions. The conservative MP's are accusing him of religious discrimination because of this attestation:

http://www.michaelwhite.ca/capture.jpg

The liberals say that churches can agree to this: http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/government-clarifies-core-mandate-in-canada-summer-jobs-grant-but-attestation-remains-unchanged

Conservatives are stating that this attestation combined with the fact that the liberal government settled with Khadr proves that Trudeau loves Muslims and hates Christians, it's not my assumption at all, it's what the MP is my area is arguing.

I have mixed feelings about how Trudeau is leading our country, but the amount of hate he gets is disproportionate to his mistakes. There really is nothing he can do that he wouldn't be accused of being the most awful man in the world over.

botley
04-28-2018, 06:26 AM
NDP want to spend their way into oblivion while Ontario holds the world's largest sub-sovereign debt.
Unlike the Ontario Liberals and Progressive Conservatives, the Ontario NDP have fully costed their platform and they project running surpluses on their budget. They are therefore the only ones whose policies would NOT run up the debt. The PCs had a platform that made sense financially, but Doug Ford scrapped it by killing their plan to put carbon tax revenues into Ontario services. Idiotic, really, because carbon pricing is coming whether he wants it or not.

I see Ford becoming the Premier.... unless Liberals and NDP form a coalition. Can that even be done? Not sure if I have ever heard of that happening in past elections.
June is a few months away. I suppose many things can happen.
It hasn't happened in Ontario since the 1980s, but with all the weirdness of this election cycle including new electoral riding boundaries... yeah, many things can happen.

Horwath is now polling AHEAD of the incumbant (https://globalnews.ca/news/4173596/andrea-horwath-doug-ford-election-poll/) in popularity. If left-leaning Ontarians want to stop Ford (and let's face it, that has to be our first priority): I say vote NDP.

Because even if he forms government with a minority of seats, Ford can do less damage than he could with a majority.

M1ke
04-28-2018, 07:00 AM
Unlike the Ontario Liberals and Progressive Conservatives, the Ontario NDP have fully costed their platform and they project running surpluses on their budget. They are therefore the only ones whose policies would NOT run up the debt.

Have you got a news source that shows these projections and has done some analysis on the accuracy of their budget by any chance? It would be helpful for me.

I've very rarely gotten more involved in politics than posting things on social media and talking to friends and family, but I'm going to try and step it up somehow this cycle. I've started printing some of the posters from notdoug.com and I'll probably be making a call to my local NDP rep to try and see what volunteering might look like.

botley
04-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Yes, the media release is here (https://www.ontariondp.ca/news/horwath-lays-out-vision-healthier-more-affordable-life-all), and the whole platform (https://www.ontariondp.ca/platform.pdf) (PDF), with ways to donate and get involved linked on that website.

M1ke
04-30-2018, 12:46 PM
The people in my area were huge on that whole "Farmers Feed Families" movement that was big a few years ago. They might not want to hear this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/04/30/doug-ford-assured-developers-he-plans-to-open-up-greenbelt-to-housing-development.html

M1ke
05-24-2018, 02:04 PM
Haha, the idiot who became the PC Leader on a promise to clean up the party and take it back from corrupt "elites" just got caught buying votes for the candidates he liked.

I guess we really can't trust the rich to police themselves. Who'd of thought that?

botley
05-30-2018, 06:04 AM
If only candyland was real...
Momentum continues to swing in the NDP's favour — their polling numbers keep going up, while the other parties' stay stagnant (https://www.macleans.ca/politics/the-macleans-pollara-ontario-election-poll-the-ndp-lead-keeps-growing/)— but whether they form government or simply win enough seats to stop a PC majority is largely dependant on how big voter turnout will be.

Here is a fabulous essay this independent journalist made with a bunch of great reasons (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156255939368913&id=514593912&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10156255939368913%3Atl_obji d.10156255939368913%3Athrowback_story_fbid.1015625 5939368913%3Athid.514593912%3A306061129499414%3A2% 3A0%3A1527836399%3A6823258931307959027&__tn__=-R) (FB link, sorry) why having Doug Ford as our Premier would be truly disastrous for the province. You should all go vote your asses off (and tell all your friends to, as well) so he doesn't win.

M1ke
05-30-2018, 07:37 AM
I keep hearing that the PC's have 2 advantages, 1 is in voter turnout and the other is in the geographic distribution of where their voters come from. The popular vote is neck and neck, but they're saying the NDP needs around a 3% lead in order to actually be able to take this.

I'm encouraged, I've been talking to a lot of people who are typically conservative and learning that they won't be voting that way this time. A very firm conservative that I was talking to this weekend said "I grew up in Rexdale, and it was common knowledge that if you wanted the best drugs you talked to the Fords. We can't let a drug dealer run our province". Looking around at the signs in my area (Niagara West-Glanbrook), which typically votes overwhelmingly conservative, I've seen a lot of orange signs. Not as many as blue, but a lot more than I'm used to seeing.

I've heard more talk about this election than I have past elections too.

A lot of the people I've been talking to have said that they think the key to the NDP winning is to convert more Liberals, but honestly I think at this point we've probably taken as much support from typically Liberal voters as we can, anyone still with them is probably not going to have their minds changed. I see opportunity in talking to Conservatives and reminding them of the fact that Doug Ford was the architect of what Rob Ford did during his time as mayor of Toronto. Remind them of the time he claimed that people were racist against Rob for being an alcoholic. Remind them of the fact that Doug is/was a drug dealer (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/). Remind them of the fact that Doug was Rob's most staunch defender, and routinely lied to hide his brothers drug use. Remind them of the fact that he has very little experience in government. Remind them of the fact that he is an elite (he's both born rich, and born into a successfully well-connected political family) despite rallying against them.

Doug is incapable of admitting that he might be wrong, and it's important for our leaders to do that, because they're all human and they will all make mistakes. I don't want a leader who's going to double-down on a mistake when they're running the province.

The PCs are those most likely to vote, but I don't think that they're as firm in who they'll support this time around as they would have been under literally anyone else.

botley
05-30-2018, 09:56 AM
^^ Yes — agreed with all of that, absolutely!

Here is another great takedown of the PCs (http://www.torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/parkin-almost-everywhere-conservatives-have-become-the-party-of-fiscal-recklessness) (and this is from a columnist in a conservative-leaning newspaper, the Toronto Sun). Ontario NDP are looking like the party of integrity.

mfte
06-05-2018, 01:02 PM
^^ Yes — agreed with all of that, absolutely!

Here is another great takedown of the PCs (http://www.torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/parkin-almost-everywhere-conservatives-have-become-the-party-of-fiscal-recklessness) (and this is from a columnist in a conservative-leaning newspaper, the Toronto Sun). Ontario NDP are looking like the party of integrity.

You know it's dire when The Sun is criticizing the PC party and Ford especially.

botley
06-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Oof, not a good day for Doug Ford (https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/06/04/rob-fords-widow-sues-doug-ford-alleging-he-has-deprived-them-of-millions.html). Sadly, I don't think this news will budge his base's support for him at all.

thelastdisciple
06-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Rural folks are pretty much locked in to vote PC in my area, they haven't given up on this John Yakabuski guy since he took the reigns from a Liberal in 2003.

I'm in the Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke electoral district, it's only been around since 1999.

M1ke
06-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Yeah, the polls are coming in too close for me to think he isn't going to win.

I was talking to people on facebook (I know, big mistake) who were arguing that you can't vote for the NDP, because the Liberals have arranged a trade if the NDP wins, and that they would trade Kathleen Wynne to the NDP and she would still be our premier.

I'm not even kidding. You can't make this shit up, but these die-hard PC supports believe it.

M1ke
06-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Well, here's a positive sign:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/advance-voting-ontario-1.4692174

Let's hope this trend continues and we get a high turn-out tomorrow.

thelastdisciple
06-07-2018, 08:15 PM
For fuck sakes Ontario!

M1ke
06-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Fuck.

thelastdisciple
06-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Highest voter turnout since 1999 as well which makes this feel even worse, with having so many more voters and not a god damn difference was made.

theimage13
06-08-2018, 06:02 AM
Well shit, my Plan B just flew out the window.

Deepvoid
06-19-2018, 08:41 PM
We just legalized weed!

botley
06-20-2018, 01:14 PM
We just legalized weed!
Why is every headline on every news story about this accompanied by a stock photo of some bearded white dude smoking a GIANT novelty-sized blunt? When the legislation comes into effect, are we going to give clemency to people convicted of cannabis related offences? You know, the ones who look less like that (short answer: no; because Canada is racist as fuck).

mfte
06-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Why is every headline on every news story about this accompanied by a stock photo of some bearded white dude smoking a GIANT novelty-sized blunt? When the legislation comes into effect, are we going to give clemency to people convicted of cannabis related offences? You know, the ones who look less like that (short answer: no; because Canada is racist as fuck).

You and your wild accusations. Canada is racist. The nurses are stealing my money.
All the stock photos I have seen so far have mostly been of green plants.

botley
06-20-2018, 01:45 PM
You and your wild accusations. Canada is racist. The nurses are stealing my money.
Uh, maybe you have me confused with someone else? I have nurses in my family...

Incarceration rates for drug offenders bespeak a HORRIBLY racist system that needs redress.

As for pot imagery, just about every major newspaper has photos on file from "pot march" demonstrators and the one image they inevitably recycle whenever the legalization debate comes up is the one I alluded to; current articles from the Star and the Globe and the Post are all using it.

mfte
06-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Fair enough but do you seriously think there is correlation between using a photo of some white dude stoner and perceived racist attitudes in the justice system?

botley
07-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Fair enough but do you seriously think there is correlation between using a photo of some white dude stoner and perceived racist attitudes in the justice system?
Yes. I do. The debate is (as usual) framed around primarily being of concern to white people, and how new legislation will be 'mainstreaming stoner culture', such as it is. What we're actually facing is a possible increase in charges for cannabis-related offences, which you can bet will predominantly target Black and Indigenous people. But we're too busy talking about the white protesters, not the people who this legislation really is going to affect.

For possessing anything over the legally limited amount of cannabis (which is 30g for non-medical use), or for growing/selling/transporting/ingesting it 'improperly', however Provincial jurisdiction dictates, we're investing the Police with a whole bunch of new powers to search homes and seize property without a warrant. Wonder which neighbourhoods they'll decide 'urgently' need to be searched by surprise? Oh, and if you're wondering, a prior criminal conviction record will still fuck your life up forever. Also, the new federal sentencing rules for people convicted under these incoming cannabis laws are harsher than they were before.

mfte
07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Yes. I do. The debate is (as usual) framed around primarily being of concern to white people, and how new legislation will be 'mainstreaming stoner culture', such as it is. What we're actually facing is a possible increase in charges for cannabis-related offences, which you can bet will predominantly target Black and Indigenous people. But we're too busy talking about the white protesters, not the people who this legislation really is going to affect.

For possessing anything over the legally limited amount of cannabis (which is 30g for non-medical use), or for growing/selling/transporting/ingesting it 'improperly', however Provincial jurisdiction dictates, we're investing the Police with a whole bunch of new powers to search homes and seize property without a warrant. Wonder which neighbourhoods they'll decide 'urgently' need to be searched by surprise? Oh, and if you're wondering, a prior criminal conviction record will still fuck your life up forever. Also, the new federal sentencing rules for people convicted under these incoming cannabis laws are harsher than they were before.

Where can I read about the provincial jurisdiction that grants the police these new powers? Is it possible (for the public) to pull data on these things in the future to see if this indeed unfolds as you suggest?

botley
07-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Where can I read about the provincial jurisdiction that grants the police these new powers? Is it possible (for the public) to pull data on these things in the future to see if this indeed unfolds as you suggest?
Interpretation from province to province will be up in the air until October when the Act comes into force (you can read the final version of the Federal bill here (http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/C-45/royal-assent)). Warrantless searches happen when the authorities determine there are certain 'urgent' situations (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Procedure_and_Practice/Search_and_Seizure/Warrantless_Searches/Exigent_Circumstances) in play, and I'm hearing from lawyers that the Act will add more potential interpretations to this list that the Police can use in order to erode limits on their search and seizure powers.

As for who is keeping tabs on these numbers of arrests and so forth, well, there are a number of studies (http://policerecordhub.ca), but not a lot of robust demographic data compiled in a way that makes it easy to see who is targeted. However, like I said, it's probably not going to be in neighbourhoods like Rosedale and Outremont where they'll be flexing their muscle for warrantless searches. Organizations like the CCLA exist (https://ccla.org/focus-areas/policing-and-public-safety/privacy-search-and-seizure-warrants/) to advocate for civil liberties in the face of these changes, and their work led to me discovering more about this legislation's potential impact. So, basically I'd recommend giving them a look.