PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Politics

Pages : 1 [2]

Boots
07-10-2018, 08:09 AM
From what I've read at various media outlets, Greyhound asked the federal government for money, but the government said no. So the cancellation of service in all but 2 provinces is actually Trudeau's fault.

botley
07-10-2018, 10:06 AM
From what I've read at various media outlets, Greyhound asked the federal government for money, but the government said no. So the cancellation of service in all but 2 provinces is actually Trudeau's fault.
I read the report this morning from the Canadian Press. That's terrible news for Northern communities, particularly those in remote locations and in poverty. Greyhound Canada are citing "a 41 per cent decline in ridership since 2010 [caused by] persistent competition from subsidized national and inter-regional passenger transportation services, the growth of new low-cost airlines, regulatory constraints and the continued growth of car ownership" as reason for their pullout, along with increasing costs... and I'm pretty sure that's a trend which started long before Trudeau took office. But yeah, it would be real nice if the federal government (and provincial ones) ended subsidies for car ownership and airlines (GAS AND AIRFARE IS TOO FUCKING CHEAP). Oh, and uphold their promise to stop subsidizing fossil fuels entirely. Not holding my breath, though...

thelastdisciple
07-12-2018, 01:41 AM
Hard to imagine Greyhound no longer offering services for so many provinces now. I used them a couple times, once with my folks on a house hunting trip to go from Petawawa, ON to Calgary, AB back in 2002 and then again to get from Calgary to Vancouver, B.C. in 2008 when i went to visit my great grandmother for her 100th birthday.

I remember hearing about that gruesome murder of Tim McLean on a Greyhound bus going from Edmonton, AB to Winnipeg, MB where he was stabbed, beheaded and cannibalized by Vince Li. Even though it was an isolated incident and not something that would be a common occurrence on a bus-line, I bet ridership trended downward A LOT after that.

botley
07-25-2018, 08:45 AM
I'm really finding it hard to keep my head above the fray with all the bullshit flying around. There was a mass shooting down the street, right by one of the restaurants where I ate with my family the night before, and there are dead kids and everybody's lost their fucking minds in the insane amount of racist xenophobic fascist rhetorical responses to it. I don't know what to write, except that the grief and anger and disappointment of this year has just... been... exhausting.

theimage13
07-25-2018, 11:26 AM
I'm really finding it hard to keep my head above the fray with all the bullshit flying around. There was a mass shooting down the street, right by one of the restaurants where I ate with my family the night before, and there are dead kids and everybody's lost their fucking minds in the insane amount of racist xenophobic fascist rhetorical responses to it. I don't know what to write, except that the grief and anger and disappointment of this year has just... been... exhausting.

Welcome to how it feels to live a couple hundred miles south :(

I hope, for the sake of your entire country, that cooler heads prevail.

botley
08-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Canada’s Border Services Agency is doing DNA tests to deport refugees.

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/wjkxmy/canada-is-using-ancestry-dna-websites-to-help-it-deport-people

I would encourage all Canadians to support this petition: https://digitalrightsnow.ca

M1ke
08-10-2018, 11:15 AM
He's got some weird new tactics for shutting down criticism, including accusing the opposition of making bomb threats in response to questions about basic income and instructing staffers to clap over questions during news conferences so that nobody can hear what questions are actually being asked.

What a farce.

M1ke
08-23-2018, 11:46 AM
A sort-of-silver-lining that came along with the announcement of the snitch line, high schoolers will still be taught the 2015 sex-ed curriculum.

Sadly, elementary schools are being told not to, and Doug Ford wants you to report any teachers who are going above and beyond in helping their children so that they can be punished, but at least the high schools have been spared for now.

botley
09-14-2018, 03:19 AM
https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-business/bills/parliament-42/session-1/bill-31

"Notwithstanding the Charter of Rights and Freedoms"

Douglas Robert Ford is a tyrant who should be fired into the Sun.

M1ke
09-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Anyone here see a silver lining to Maxime Bernier's new People's Party?

He's trying to be a populist, and if he's good at it, he'll probably attract the far-right. If he can take the far-right crazy's away from the PC's, that'll be good for everyone.

The PC's have only done well because they're the only right-wing party in Canada. Typically, the Liberals do well partly because of strategic voting to stop the PC's.

If the PC's and the People's Party split the right-wing vote, then left-wing strategic voting becomes unnecessary.

If it's unnecessary, we'll likely see more minority governments, and more compromise between multiple parties. Which could be good for everyone. Might start to move our conversations back towards discussions and debate of ideas and away from one side shouting insults at the opposing side.

I could be being far too optimistic though. His party may be dead in the water, or it just might not go that way.

M1ke
09-20-2018, 12:51 PM
OK, I give up. I am quickly becoming convinced that the general population is just too fucking stupid for democracy to work.

I was standing in line at the store, listening to an old man rant to his friend in front of me.

He believes Trudeau needs to be removed. He noticed he hasn't won any small prizes on scratch tickets for a while, and he says that's because the government has been taking them away. He says that they only have the 50k and 75k prizes now, but he doesn't play for the big prizes, he only plays for the small wins. And the government is taking the small wins away from the little guys like him, and giving to the big guys who are trying to win the big prizes.

And that's how the liberals are ruining this country. By stopping this guy from winning small prizes on a scratch ticket.

Fucking hell I'm done. I'm so done with listening to people talk about politics. Forget free speech, let's just muzzle all the stupid people.

MrLobster
10-17-2018, 06:51 AM
https://twitter.com/KellyCanuckTO/status/1052431434907029504

tremolo
10-18-2018, 08:01 AM
https://twitter.com/KellyCanuckTO/status/1052431434907029504

Very funny!

So, what’s the testing gonna be like? A few months ago I read that the way the test operates, in order to get a negative reading (not high), you couldn’t smoke for 3 days before driving. Was that even real?

MrLobster
10-18-2018, 10:57 AM
So, what’s the testing gonna be like? A few months ago I read that the way the test operates, in order to get a negative reading (not high), you couldn’t smoke for 3 days before driving. Was that even real?

The device that th RCMP are testing is... flawed. Other police services across the country aren't buying in to it (but some are). The biggest problem is that it detects THC (and lasting up to 6hours, it does nothing for impairment (and ingestion does not equal impairment).

botley
11-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Ontario's ruling "Progressive Conservatives" (terms clearly no longer applicable in any sense) have decided they want to ban (https://globalnews.ca/news/4673240/ontario-pc-recognize-gender-identity/) "the teaching and promotion of gender identity theory" from schools. Our public curriculum may be in tatters, but we are NOT going to go backwards. You cannot erase or censor non-binary and trans people anymore. We will not stand for it.

snaapz
11-19-2018, 09:07 AM
^My kids do not have an ounce of racism, stereotypes, or prejudice thoughts. But once we start teaching "Ok classroom, today we will discuss being gay and why it's not nice to tease gays and why you need to be accepting of their odd behavior" --- OMG thats so true, up until today I never even thought of it that way.

Now my kid is having racist, stereotype, or prejudice thoughts.

But in a strange way I also want to protect my kids from the idea of being gay... I don't want him, at the age of 4 or 6 or 8 to be influenced to think that kissing other boys is totally cool. If he naturally turns out to be gay then thats totally fine.... but I dont want him to be exposed to it. Does that make sense?

M1ke
11-19-2018, 02:34 PM
^My kids do not have an ounce of racism, stereotypes, or prejudice thoughts. But once we start teaching "Ok classroom, today we will discuss being gay and why it's not nice to tease gays and why you need to be accepting of their odd behavior" --- OMG thats so true, up until today I never even thought of it that way.

But in a strange way I also want to protect my kids from the idea of being gay... I don't want him, at the age of 4 or 6 or 8 to be influenced to think that kissing other boys is totally cool. If he naturally turns out to be gay then thats totally fine.... but I dont want him to be exposed to it. Does that make sense?

No, that does not make sense.

Your kid may not have a prejudiced thought, but other kids will hear prejudices they've picked up at home and expose your kids to it. It's the responsibility of educators to teach what's proper and counteract the effects that ignorance has on a community.

And boys kissing boys is totally cool. Consent is cool. Forcing relationships to be heterosexual is not.

thelastdisciple
11-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Who you are or are not attracted to is something deeply inherent and personal, you don't just get convinced by outside factors to be one way or another.

Thinking your child is just going to be exposed to homosexuality and be convinced of it as if they've been brainwashed or programmed is the wrong way to think about it.

snaapz
11-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Knowledge is power, I say the more we know and understand the more we can evolve and be a better society.

MrLobster
11-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Knowledge is power, I say the more we know and understand the more we can evolve and be a better society.

I've started wearing my "Ignorance Breeds Fear" button again.

M1ke
11-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Looks like Ford is backing down on this one:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-gender-identity-1.4911524

thelastdisciple
11-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Big protest going down in Calgary, Alberta during Trudeau's visit.

They're all mad because of their precious oil industry is on life support.

Aladdinsanity
11-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Can y'all take back Gavin McInnes's non-chin having ass? plzkthx

aggroculture
11-22-2018, 11:31 PM
Only if we can beat his ass

bobbie solo
11-23-2018, 03:18 AM
Only if we can beat his ass

according to his "logic", this might be what he wants. He thinks fighting is cool.

aggroculture
11-23-2018, 09:38 AM
he can dish it out but he can't take it
got put on a FBI list, steps down immediately like the coward he is

people like him should remember the saying "live by the sword, die by the sword"
you put that energy into the world, it's going to come bite you
Heather Heyer's blood is on his hands too, Proud Boys were at Charlottesville: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/proud-boys

tremolo
11-26-2018, 07:18 AM
So today they’re supposed to make a decision re. Back to work legislation to stop the Canada Post rotating atrike that has been going on for a month or so.

What are your views on this?

snaapz
11-26-2018, 12:06 PM
^ I have a few views.

1) I am surprised that CUPW would slap their biggest clients in the face at the most crucial time of the year. Amazon, Wal-Mart, EBay.... all pay the bills. Canada Post parcel segment is earning revenue and that's thanks to online vendors. Parcel delivery is saving Canada Post. So why would CUPW pick now, the most crucial time of the year for Amazon. Amazon has likely lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions in loss due to people saying "Wal Mart it is this year due to the strike"

What a terrible way to treat your biggest clients, and not to mention the risk of Amazon saying "you know, CUPW has been on strike over 20 or 30 times since the late 60's; and they threaten strike every year... Amazon cannot operate like this, we need to find a new carrier. So long Canada Post.

2) I cannot believe what we have become. "Canada Post has ruined Christmas". I won't even rant about how shitty of a society we are becoming and how Christmas has lost all meaning.

3) Once and for all I think the Gov. should NOT force CUPW back to work... let them figure it out once and for all, even if it takes years. Canada Post knows they can sit back, offer nothing substantial, and wait for gov to force CUPW back to work. Harper didn't even hesitate (wait 4+ weeks) he did it like 1 week into the strike. Let them strike it out once and for all. Vendors will find new carrier and new contracts.

SEE.... RIGHT NOW IF I WAS the owner of 'Intelcom Express' I would be offering Amazon a big new contract, I would hire 500 new drivers and build my company to become Amazons dependablecarrier, who will not threaten to strike every year.

4) Most importantly what a disgrace, forcing workers back to work. This strike has to do with many things, one major issue is carriers health and safety. The GOV is saying parcel delivery is more important than your safety.

5th) I freaking hate unions. Hire a lawyer, not a crappy union leader who hasn't done much. Or don't apply for a job you hate. You walk letters and parcels door to door, winter sucks, its part of the job.

botley
11-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Another view (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10217481422764581&id=1146338027).

M1ke
11-26-2018, 11:06 PM
I was really confused by some of what I was hearing on the news about the delays. My girlfriend is talking that she won't order anything online for Christmas because she's pretty sure it won't be delivered before then. But, I ordered some things from amazon on the 19th, they shipped on the 20th and were delivered on the 21st, and that was with just whatever the free shipping non-prime default they gave was. It was delivered faster than promised.

Also, the company I work for receives daily Canada Post shipments from our head office. There were a few times when we received things a day later than expected, but the delays haven't been substantial at all.

It looks like the back-to-work legislation has passed. I don't support that, and I'm not a fan of the government ending a strike unless there is an urgent, essential need, and I'm just not seeing the urgency in this.

snaapz
11-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Canada Post has been delivering my mail every 2 days or so. All Amazon packages are handed to me by Intelcom Express, who will likely benefit from CUPWs strike.

1.5 weeks ago (in the midst of the strike) I ordered 3 gift cards from Great Wolf Lodge (Niagara Falls); 3 days later the envelope was in my London (ON) mailbox; delivered by Canada Post. Fast!

Tabris
11-28-2018, 08:56 AM
I've ordered piles of shit from around the world since the strike started.

Pretty much everything has come just as speedy as normal. There have been a few times things were a bit late due to the strike, but it was utterly negligible. Maybe a day or two.

I feel like a lot of the complaints are for the sake of being dramatic. Which is basically everything ever lately, so wtf ever anyways.

snaapz
11-29-2018, 12:03 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/4704304/canada-post-union-civil-disobedience/

November 27, 2018 5:51 pm

"Delivery backlogs to continue as Canada Post union calls for ‘civil disobedience’"

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) is warning officials to expect “non-violent civil disobedience”

---------------------------

I get the crusade... they want change... but they are pissing off both Canadians and a lot of high stake clients (Amazon, Ebay, Walmart) - CUPW is inflicting irreversible damage and loss of clients to UPS and other carriers.

Why don't CUPWs just quit and get a job with UPS, FedEX, Canpar.........

M1ke
11-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Why don't CUPWs just quit and get a job with UPS, FedEX, Canpar.........

Workers rights aren't protected by people quitting their jobs.

snaapz
11-29-2018, 03:01 PM
What rights? They make it sound like there is no job security, no pay equality (welcome to earth), insufficient funds for H&S, poor pay, and shitty working conditions.

botley
11-29-2018, 03:40 PM
What rights? They make it sound like there is no job security, no pay equality (welcome to earth), insufficient funds for H&S, poor pay, and shitty working conditions.
Well, yeah. In many cases (particularly rural areas where Canada Post is just about the ONLY game in town), they are facing those. And the Crown corporation controlling those things wants to claw even more of this stuff away from them. Wouldn't you stand up with your fellow workers and say "um, no, actually, I'd like those things" if you had the chance to win them back? Would you not also be royally pissed if the government THAT YOU ALSO PAY TAXES TO FUND passed legislation saying "shut up and take what we give you"? PARTICULARLY if that government had campaigned on a platform of ending planned layoffs to your workforce?

Myself, I'd be pretty pissed off. And I'd want a piece of those $100 million dollars (give-or-take) in annual net profits, which the Crown corporation literally earned on my back.

snaapz
11-29-2018, 04:01 PM
I do think the GOV should have, once and for all, not stepped in and let this play out; but really... whats the outcome.... Six months pass and the GOV would have to bail out CP because they would not be generating the multi millions necessary to sustain, run, and operate a business.

But on the other hand like you say, small towns where CP is the only option... it's not fair to the citizens who depend on mail/parcel delivery. We may end up with smaller businesses in the red who cannot ship out their orders or afford to use UPS.

Man I dono... I really don't. There are 100's of pros and cons. I'm on the fence.

1. Screw you CUPW get back to work, break your back, don't spend time with your family (work over time), deliver these parcels. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/health-safety/reports/statistical-2014.html?fbclid=IwAR1GD9OGiNv81XU3pwkO8-BhWHj9C1JxgBZGXu5QopIjY9DxPi49wiw0Ioo

2. Screw you Canada, kids who wont get gifts, people waiting on cheques/money, entrepreneurs.... We are CUPW we do get paid over time, we have benefits and a lot at our disposal. But we want more and we will screw everyone over until we get more ; not open to any other methods of negotiation anymore.

M1ke
11-29-2018, 06:39 PM
I really do think you're exaggerating the issues.

What we're looking at is the possibility of small delays being exaggerated. At least that's what I believe.

I think the biggest victims in this would be the online retailers. They'd be victims of the exaggerated problem impacting public perception about whether or not they'd receive their Christmas gifts on time.

In reality, the amount of time that an actual delay was created was small. But it's been exaggerated enough to stop people from buying online.

I think they should have let the strike continue. Let the workers fight for their rights.

snaapz
11-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Not exaggerating. POST leads disabling injury rates, and they are being forced, by law, back to work with no resolution.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/health-safety/reports/statistical-2014.html?fbclid=IwAR1GD9OGiNv81XU3pwkO8-BhWHj9C1JxgBZGXu5QopIjY9DxPi49wiw0Ioo

Chart 1.4 Disabling injury incidence rate (DIIR), by federal jurisdiction industry sector, 2014

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/canada/employment-social-development/migration/images/assets/portfolio/docs/en/reports/health_safety/chart_1_4.JPG

M1ke
11-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear, it's the delays in the mail delivery that I think were being exaggerated, not the injury rates.

It was the part about kids not getting gifts, and people waiting on cheques that I was responding to. It almost sounded like you were saying that CUPW was screwing the entire country to get what they want, when I think they were mildly inconveniencing people.

thelastdisciple
11-30-2018, 11:44 PM
Anyone see this meme going around on Facebook? I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/47060038_982459338606151_2840115234071379968_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=0bdc6b3c5f4d77fa388fe951baceb791&oe=5C71D109

thelastdisciple
02-07-2019, 09:53 PM
Don't mean to double post, what's all this about SNC-Lavalin and the PM? botley are you up on this at all?

M1ke
02-08-2019, 06:49 AM
Don't mean to double post, what's all this about SNC-Lavalin and the PM? @botley (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) are you up on this at all?

Most of the time when I hear about controversy with our PM, I just assume that conservatives are still just mad that he exists and has nice hair.

botley
02-08-2019, 09:16 AM
I think there's possibly slightly more to it than that, but in this case howls from the Conservative Party about justice being disserved are pretty rich. Weren't a few of their former appointees under criminal investigation? How soon we forget (https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-downplays-concern-over-former-spy-committee-head-1.1316042). Harper had cabinet ministers land in prison, and his PM office staffers too... Senate appointees breaking rules and leaving politics in disgrace. Painting themselves as vanguards of righteousness is LAUGHABLE, MAN. HA.

M1ke
02-08-2019, 10:07 AM
I've just read this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/singh-snc-lavalin-trudeau-1.5011029

It's got a bit of background.

If I understand the article correctly, I can put this much together:

Facts
????- At some point (although it's unclear when), SNC-Lavalin has donated to the Liberal party, and it appears some of those donations may have been illegal.
2015- The RCMP charges SNC-Lavalin with bribery and corruption surrounding some business dealings in Libya. SNC-Lavalin begins lobbying for an amendment to the criminal code to allow for negotiating a "remediation agreement" instead of a normal criminal prosecution. These remediation agreements are standard in the USA and in the UK.
2018- Trudeau's office includes the amendment in their new budget making the remediation agreements a possibility.
Oct2018 - The director of public prosecutions indicates she believes that a "remediation agreement" would be inappropriate in this case. Sometime shortly afterwards, the former attorney general was moved from her job in what many consider a demotion.

Allegations
It's alleged that the Prime Ministers office was pressuring the attorney general to convince the director of public prosecutions to pursue a remediation agreement in this case, and that she was shuffled out of her position for refusing to do so.

Editorial
I've always found the liberals to be kind of average....not great, but not terrible. This kind of fits with that. The amendment to the law isn't anything crazy, but it's benefit to a corporation VS it's benefit to the country are very debatable. SNC-Lavalin is a major employer in Quebec, having them not hamstrung with a criminal charge over their wrongdoing could be beneficial for the economy, but also, we're letting them off easy for their crimes.

It's a pretty right-wing thing to do, and I'm not crazy about it, but it doesn't scream corruption to me. It screams Conservatives calling out the Liberals for doing what the Conservatives do regularly.

I support an ethics investigation into this, but I wouldn't go voting for the conservatives on account of it either.

botley
02-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Yeah, until there's an investigation all we have vis-a-vis Trudeau's PMO instructing/pressuring the former AG is hearsay. Which the Conservatives have no problem spinning into outrage and (hypocritical) indignation.

thelastdisciple
02-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Hmmm.

botley
02-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Throw her under the bus all you want, Trudeau, she's not going anywhere. A group of academics have responded to the way she was treated this week as all too "familiar to many women (https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/opinion-academics-jody-wilson-raybould-1.5017398)" and, one can surmise, particularly to women of colour. Another truly embarrassing spectacle from Ottawa's political meat grinder.

snaapz
03-05-2019, 09:23 AM
I do not follow politics very closely, I generally vote conservative, but I am disheartened at how things turned out for our PM Justin... I had high hopes.

I feel like he had good intentions and wanted to shift Canada and the world to be a more accepting and equal way of living for everyone, while opening our doors to people and families in need when racist and prejudice Canadians were yelling and spitting at him to not allow immigration.

But he just doesn't seem fit for the job, he never answers questions, he appears to be more of a sheep in a lions world, and most importantly he isn't focusing on Canada enough.

Oh and plus all this SNC political stuff.

Also, not sure why but I don't like Sheer.

I'm not sure what to do at the next vote....

mfte
03-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Also, not sure why but I don't like Sheer.

Let's start with the fact that he has the personality of a potato.

botley
03-07-2019, 11:25 PM
^ There's also that minor "absolutely no plan to deal with climate change" factor, but hey, who cares about that?

[PMJT] just doesn't seem fit for the job, he never answers questions, he appears to be more of a sheep in a lions world, and most importantly he isn't focusing on Canada enough.
This is slightly vague, can you clarify what you mean?

I'm no big fan of Trudeau, to me he is a stuffed shirt just like Harper was and, while slightly better than the Conservatives', many of the Liberal Party policies and attitudes are unpalatable to me.

Politics is not able to deliver on the promises it makes (how could it?) but we have to choose the best option for the time and situation we are in. I think the Conservative stance on getting SNC its deferred prosecution agreement would be "of course of fucking course", right? BECAUSE MUH JERRRBS. Also this shit they were doing in Libya was happening under Conservative rule.

It's so deeply ironic that an Indigenous woman is at the centre of so much controversy around this obscure tradition we inherited from British Westminster parliamentary rules (where the Minister of Justice is both part of the ruling party's cabinet and also, as Attorney General, supposedly making judicial decisions above the fray of party politics). She deserves kudos for sticking to those principles but... like, who actually fucking cared about that before her story leaked to the Globe & Mail? It's just a turned into a media dunking contest now on JT.

MrLobster
03-08-2019, 01:20 AM
My biggest problem with the fed Liberals is that were voted in with optimism for being different than the past... but they quickly, seemingly, became the old Liberal party. And that won't do.

thelastdisciple
03-18-2019, 11:26 PM
What do you guys consider some of the least biased sources for political news in Canada?

Do we have a Politico equivalent?

MrLobster
03-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Anything not owned by Post Media.

mfte
03-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Anything not owned by Post Media.

I like the Post. Sure they like to shit on the Liberals but I find their reporting to be pretty centrist for the most part.
The most biased they get are those opinion pieces by Conrad Black... but those pretty much read like satire.

bobbie solo
03-19-2019, 04:43 PM
What do you guys consider some of the least biased sources for political news in Canada?

Do we have a Politico equivalent?

Politico is VERY biased. Establishment to the hilt.

MrLobster
03-19-2019, 07:24 PM
I like the Post. Sure they like to shit on the Liberals but I find their reporting to be pretty centrist for the most part.
The most biased they get are those opinion pieces by Conrad Black... but those pretty much read like satire.

Their editorial boards, at least in Calgary (owning both the Herald and Sun), are lough out loud joke.

Like this example (https://twitter.com/maxfawcett/status/1107832212437659648) wherein one of them is telling us about their new friend...

thelastdisciple
03-19-2019, 09:31 PM
Politico is VERY biased. Establishment to the hilt.
Damn it, well this list lied to me! https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/center/

��

botley
03-20-2019, 09:34 AM
The Conservative Party of Canada is a bunch of actual crybabies. They were literally yelling over the budget speech in the House of Commons. Unbelievable. This whole thing is broken. I'm disheartened beyond words. We're slowly flushing everything down the toilet.

thelastdisciple
03-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Not looking forward to the upcoming federal election whatsoever.

theimage13
03-30-2019, 07:57 PM
The Conservative Party of Canada is a bunch of actual crybabies. They were literally yelling over the budget speech in the House of Commons. Unbelievable. This whole thing is broken. I'm disheartened beyond words. We're slowly flushing everything down the toilet.

If it makes you feel any better....it could always be worse.

https://cached.imagescaler.hbpl.co.uk/resize/scaleWidth/614/cached.offlinehbpl.hbpl.co.uk/news/ORP/DonaldTrump-201803270305019451-20180604093311705.jpg

botley
03-30-2019, 08:37 PM
If it makes you feel any better....it could always be worse.

It's going to be worse, that is exactly my point. The PCs of Ontario, UCP of Alberta, and CPC nationally are the Northern equivalents of the Republican party (complete with ties to white nationalists, climate deniers, and anti-choice fundamentalists) and it looks like they will have a lock on, respectively: the most populated province, the most prosperous, and the very country itself shortly.

theimage13
03-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Woof. Well, I guess I'm sort of glad my partner has kept me from moving there?

thelastdisciple
04-24-2019, 07:40 AM
Fucking hell, how many more provinces are going PC?

botley
04-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Fucking hell, how many more provinces are going PC?
There are two more general elections before the federal one, Newfoundland & Labrador and Northwest Territories, but I don't foresee them flipping to PC (NWT doesn't use a party system in their legislature, for one thing). It's sad because the Prince Edward Island Greens were so close to forming government, but it looks like as usual the centre-left parties split their vote... and the referendum to change from FPTP to MMPR voting also failed again. So heartbreaking, especially since one of their candidates and his young son drowned by accident right on the eve of the election...

M1ke
04-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Here in Ontario, are tax dollars are now paying for PC party campaign ads.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/government-mandated-carbon-tax-stickers-planned-for-ontario-gas-pumps

I've also heard a few radio ads that were paid for by the province of Ontario.

Democracy is dead.

thelastdisciple
04-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Here in Ontario, are tax dollars are now paying for PC party campaign ads.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/government-mandated-carbon-tax-stickers-planned-for-ontario-gas-pumps

I've also heard a few radio ads that were paid for by the province of Ontario.

Democracy is dead.
Ford even wants the gas stations that don't comply with using the dumb stickers to be fined. That's fucking ridiculous!

botley
05-07-2019, 01:14 PM
In better news, Paul Manly won the by-election in B.C. (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nanaimo-ladysmith-byelection-1.5125549), becoming the second Green Party of Canada MP to be elected there (though not the second to sit in its caucus, as others have crossed the floor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_politicians_who_have_crossed_the_ floor) to join in the past).

M1ke
05-26-2019, 08:21 AM
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/amp/entry/dad-threatened-doug-ford-voicemail_ca_5ce85fe4e4b0512156f17718/

So......uh..............

So, it would appear our premier is auditioning for a role in the godfather.

botley
05-26-2019, 09:09 AM
I mean, at this point, with ALL of the history that we've seen uncovered, he has gone beyond casting. We gave him the part.

Anyway, as I predicted, the PCs didn't take Newfoundland & Labrador in the provincial election there. It was pretty funny to watch their leader totally melt down (https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/n-l-tory-calls-his-combative-election-night-speech-unfortunate-1.4433120) over the result, though. Fucking crybaby. Also, how delicious is it when the difference between a minority and majority government is the votes of five fucking people in one district of Labrador?

botley
09-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Oh, I was wrong, there was another general election just now in Manitoba. Hmm, could be because it was entirely lost in the shuffle over the summer? Partly because their Premier called a surprise early election this year... maybe to deliberately depress turnout numbers (https://globalnews.ca/news/5891320/voter-turnout-manitoba-provincial-election-2019/)? Anyway, looks like his PCs are holding on to their majority in the provincial Legislative Assembly there, too.

BTW, those gas station sticker thingys in Ontario are going just fine (https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9575801-hamilton-retailer-sent-mandatory-ontario-gas-pump-stickers-even-though-he-doesn-t-sell-gas/), thanks everybody.

M1ke
09-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Welcome to the election season.

Let's just hope the conservatives don't win. Come on Maxime Bernier, divide that right!

thelastdisciple
09-12-2019, 12:42 AM
https://i.imgur.com/aaSpj6D.jpg

Found on Ontario subreddit, haha take that Doug Ford you fuckin' stooge!

botley
09-12-2019, 09:13 AM
I just remove them, whenever I see them. Straight into the garbage can. Really want to start putting Extinction Rebellion stickers — or maybe these ones (https://teespring.com/new-water-is-life-waterislife?pid=401) — in their place.

Boots
09-13-2019, 08:27 AM
What kind of asshole skips a leadership debate? Pothead Trudeau was just avoiding having to talk about SNC Lavalin. His arrogance and smugness will be his downfall. I can't vote because of technical reasons involving my riding, but if I could then I definitely wouldn't vote Liberal.

botley
09-13-2019, 09:02 AM
^ I mean, the other three elected leaders (AND the moderator, for that matter) took the opportunity last night to dunk on him repeatedly for all sorts of other issues besides the SNC scandal, and dear reader: it ruled.

I can't vote because of technical reasons involving my riding
Please explain?

bobbie solo
09-13-2019, 03:48 PM
^ I mean, the other three elected leaders (AND the moderator, for that matter) took the opportunity last night to dunk on him repeatedly for all sorts of other issues besides the SNC scandal, and dear reader: it ruled.

Please explain?

you will never get an answer. Better to ignore this weird anti-semite anyway.

MrLobster
09-18-2019, 08:04 PM
https://twitter.com/DeidreLOlsen/status/1174470922327248896

This may swing the election... the question is, which way will it swing it....

M1ke
09-18-2019, 09:22 PM
https://twitter.com/DeidreLOlsen/status/1174470922327248896

This may swing the election... the question is, which way will it swing it....

It's most certainly a bad thing, and he is taking ownership of it and apologizing for it. He's not making excuses either for himself which is good I think.

It's definitely a bad moment, and something that we shouldn't see in a prime minister. But, I still think I'd rather have him than Sheer, and (sadly) Singh doens't stand a chance. He won't be PM unless he leaves the NDP, the NDP is not going to hold government without a major shift in the country.

thelastdisciple
09-18-2019, 10:08 PM
Here's his statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHOS9ZGrmaI

thelastdisciple
09-19-2019, 08:14 AM
Jesus fucking christ. A third instance of Trudeau and a racist act?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/justin-trudeau-brownface-video/

M1ke
09-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Jesus fucking christ. A third instance of Trudeau and a racist act?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/justin-trudeau-brownface-video/

If we weren't in the middle of an election, I'd say it was time for him to step down, but him stepping down right now probably ensures a PC victory, and I really don't want that to happen.

FFS, here's hoping the liberals still win the election, but that he steps down or is forced out shortly after.

mfte
09-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Trudeau just gave the election to Sheer. Between SNC, groping and now this he is done. I wonder how this will affect the local minister ridings.

If I was Sheer I'd be worried that the Liberals make Jodie Wilson-Raybould the interim leader.

M1ke
09-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Trudeau just gave the election to Sheer. Between SNC, groping and now this he is done. I wonder how this will affect the local minister ridings.

If I was Sheer I'd be worried that the Liberals make Jodie Wilson-Raybould the interim leader.

Normally, I vote Liberal, although I prefer the NDP. My riding always goes conservative, and it's not usually close either, but the Liberals always come in second, so normally I plug my nose, close my eyes and cast the Liberal vote in the hopes that I'll be surprised and the conservatives don't win.

But this is just embarrassing at this point. Trudeau is not the person I want representing our country on the international stage any more. He's had some gaffes, but if we elect him after this, it'd feel embarrassing to say that we knew this about him, and he was still the one we picked to lead us. Sure, he's learned, and he's taking ownership and he's apologized unequivocally, but our prime minister should be the best of us. This is not the best of us.

If the liberals said right now that they'd be finding new leadership after the election regardless of outcome, then I would still vote for them. Otherwise I'm going to have to sit down and look at the platforms of the NDP and the Greens to figure out which of those two to cast my vote for. Probably the NDP over the Greens, but I'll at least look at the platforms before I make my decision.

My riding is going to go conservative no matter what anyways though, so it really doesn't matter I guess.....

Balthier
09-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Why do I have the feeling that these virtue-signaling people are the ones with the darkest (no pun intended) past? I sure don't want these people telling me how to live my life.

M1ke
09-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Why do I have the feeling that these virtue-signaling people are the ones with the darkest (no pun intended) past? I sure don't want these people telling me how to live my life.

It's not really clear what you're talking about here.

Who are the "virtue-signaling people" and when are they telling you how to live your life?

marodi
09-19-2019, 01:05 PM
In case any of you ladies and gents are interested in your friendly French speaking Québécois opinion on the brown faced Trudeau matter, I will say that we think it's indeed disgusting but we've been saying that he is a fucking idiot (and the son of the Antichrist) since the last election. Then, we'll roll our eyes and shrug.

We're busier keeping watch on that even stupider and potentially more dangerous Trump 2.0 wannabe called Maxime Bernier, aka Mad Max. I'm praying that my fellow Beaucerons compatriots will oust him for good.

Jinsai
09-19-2019, 01:50 PM
we all know donning blackface or any sort of throwback to minstrel theater is crazy racist... except it wasn't always called out for how crazy it was, and then there's pretty recent versions of it that were excused for it; like Tropic Thunder... because that was the joke. Except.. a single photo of Robert Downey Jr in blackface could be spun as something insanely racist without the movie... and even then, you could say it's still racist.

I don't know. At least he's owning it, apologizing, admitting he did something wrong, isn't trying to distract from the accusation... and Trudeau has never struck me as a really "racist sort of person" in general. Maybe he is. I don't know. Everybody fucks up though, and this was 18 years ago, back before we all decided Prince Harry was the greatest, super great guy, and forgot all about that time he showed up to a party dressed as Hitler with his buddy in a klan hat or some shit.

edit: The more I'm reading about this, the weirder it gets...

bobbie solo
09-19-2019, 03:32 PM
It's not really clear what you're talking about here.

Who are the "virtue-signaling people" and when are they telling you how to live your life?

Right wing troll with 5 total posts trying to incite bullshit. Ignore and hope he disappears.

thelastdisciple
09-19-2019, 04:25 PM
We're busier keeping watch on that even stupider and potentially more dangerous Trump 2.0 wannabe called Maxime Bernier, aka Mad Max. I'm praying that my fellow Beaucerons compatriots will oust him for good.
Hope you guys oust that shithead you have for a premier, that assault on religious freedoms and mainly those who wear turbans, niqaabs, hijabs etc. is disgusting! I'm all for separation of church and state but this the wrong way to go about it.

Similarly Doug Ford and Jason Kenney need to get gone as well.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

botley
09-22-2019, 07:15 AM
I don't know what this is going to do for Trudeau's electoral chances, the Liberal track record is decidedly mixed and this may well be the tipping point towards yet another Conservative government (ugh)... I was surprised that traditional media outlets pretty quickly started to print intelligent responses like this one (https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/justin-trudeau-and-the-antiracism-trap/) instead of hand-wringing and outrage for weeks on end. What has Andrew Scheer ever done for anti-racism? (Spoiler: nothing, zilch, nada, with over twenty years in politics)

Jinsai
09-22-2019, 05:02 PM
I dunno... I guess I just have shell shock from Trump being whatever he is... I'm used to our supreme leader being a raging proud racist that is actively encouraging racists... It seems like Trudeau doesn't want to court racists. That's good. It feels weird to see the "Conservative party" capitalizing on this, but, again, this is from a perspective from down here, where I'm thinking about fleeing from.

botley
09-22-2019, 05:06 PM
Look, as I said earlier in the thread, come October we may have the equivalent of a Republican supermajority up here in the legislative houses, so maybe flee somewhere else? The Moon?

Jinsai
09-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Look, as I said earlier in the thread, come October we may have the equivalent of a Republican supermajority up here in the legislative houses, so maybe flee somewhere else? The Moon?

Europe is still (super tentatively) an option I guess... though it doesn't feel great.

Everything feels fucked right now.

MrLobster
10-05-2019, 06:55 PM
https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1180498740035162113

No, seriously... what?

botley
10-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Diet Trumpism™?

botley
10-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Advance polls are open, people. Go do it. I voted NDP — our local candidate is amazing!

M1ke
10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/niagara-s-religious-right-aims-to-make-abortion-an-election-issue-1.5321029

My hometown is dumb. Also, remember not to vote for the conservatives!

Demogorgon
10-16-2019, 06:13 PM
https://www.usertesting.com/my_dashboard/available_tests4

My hometown is dumb. Also, remember not to vote for the conservatives!

i'm not sure that you posted the right link here.

M1ke
10-16-2019, 06:28 PM
i'm not sure that you posted the right link here.

Whoops, you're right. Fixed it now.

M1ke
10-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Credit where credit is due, Sheer stopped them from chanting it, but shame where shame is due that the conservatives clearly only win by inciting anger and fear where it doesn't belong:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6056190/conservative-rally-trudeau-scheer-lock-him-up-chant/

botley
10-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Looks to me like Trudeau has now definitely lost his majority but he will remain PM — which I am fine wine with (EDIT: LOL, I may be drunk already?), particularly given an encouraging early result from Fredericton electing the first Green Party MP in Atlantic Canada! — but I don't foresee a decisive win for anybody tonight. The Bloc Quebecois are putting very solid numbers on the leaderboard, which is taking votes away from the other parties. HUNG PARLIAMENT, BITCHES

M1ke
10-21-2019, 11:08 PM
I like that it looks like Liberals + NDP is going to be enough to move over the 170 mark if they work together.

That might be one of the best outcomes I could have hoped for.

M1ke
11-11-2019, 06:23 PM
I'm not really sure if this counts as politics or not, but they finally fired Don Cherry.

Long overdue if you ask me, but surprised to see it actually happen.

chuckrh
11-11-2019, 08:06 PM
I'm not really sure if this counts as politics or not, but they finally fired Don Cherry.

Long overdue if you ask me, but surprised to see it actually happen.

I live in seattle & we get hockey night in canada. always enjoyed coaches corner but coach is pretty old. in his prime he could've gone up against charles barkeley!

cdm
11-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Good riddance. He’s always been a xenophobic dog whistle nightmare.

snaapz
11-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Fired on Veterans day for standing up for veterans. People are such flakes these days. Wear a fucking poppy and stand silent for 2 minutes ONCE A YEAR. Never forget.

t's becoming increasingly evident that if you're white then you cannot speak freely, even if it is the truth. I love everyone... but it's true that I see almost no "immigrants" wearing poppies. Many muslims refuse to wear a poppy because they believe WWI was detrimental to the muslim community and supportive of the jewish community etc... their words not mine.

M1ke
11-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Fired on Veterans day for standing up for veterans. People are such flakes these days. Wear a fucking poppy and stand silent for 2 minutes ONCE A YEAR. Never forget.

t's becoming increasingly evident that if you're white then you cannot speak freely, even if it is the truth. I love everyone... but it's true that I see almost no "immigrants" wearing poppies. Many muslims refuse to wear a poppy because they believe WWI was detrimental to the muslim community and supportive of the jewish community etc... their words not mine.

Don Cherry has a long history of racist, sexist and xenophobic comments. This latest anti-immigrant rant was not the first occasion, and it's pretty surprising it's taken this long for him to get booted.

It's fine to support our veterans and to encourage people to buy and wear a poppy. He specifically centered out immigrants as "you people" not wearing poppies.

He was not fired for standing up for veterans, he was fired for falsely centering out immigrants as not supporting veterans.

I agree that we should all be standing up for our veterans, and doing more to support them, and I think there is an interesting conversation to be had around why fewer and fewer people are buying poppies. Don put the blame for that issue on immigrants. That's called xenophobia. He should have been taken off the air years ago.

cdm
11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Immigrant or not, it's none of your business how someone else "supports the troops", nor is it Cherry's. Want to buy a poppy and wear it? Fine, buy a poppy and wear it. Ever consider that maybe some people buy poppies and don't wear it because they don't need the social validation of their donation? Or that there are other ways to "support the troops" besides buying a poppy? Or maybe there are other causes they chose to donate money to?

Besides how do you know who is an immigrant? Are they wearing a sign? Do they have a name tag? Of course this is rhetorical. I already know the answer.

snaapz
11-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Where I live it's clear who is an immigrant based on their wardrobe and accent. Why can't I say that? I welcome diversity, I love culture and I have made the effortless effort to bond with my friends and learn some spanish, arabic, tamil and even some czech. When I attended college (Fanshawe) I befriended several middle eastern friends and often went to their place to study, nicest friends I've had!

My current community.

https://lfpress.com/2015/02/08/community-centre-to-be-living-expression-of-islam/wcm/3a565e46-9938-bde5-e572-b3c865ec7c95

My 3 year old son attends Little Sprouts twice a week in this area, it's a general community center.

http://lcc.on.ca/family-support-programs/early-child-and-family-centre

A large majority of the instructors and other enrolled kids/parents are immigrants, they often speak Arabic and many of the posters and art is english and arabic (even though we are supposed to exercise english and french here).

My family and I go to the mall across the street each Saturday for lunch. I see a lot of people wearing poppies, I have noticed that none of the muslim women, men, or children, wear a poppy.

My now 5 year old son was raised in Markham, which feels like 90% Chinese population but officially they say 50%. I LOVED IT THERE and I loved the culture. Again my son was enrolled in little sprouts where it was him in an english program with some Chinese influence.

I would shop at TNT grocery store and I can tell who was and who was not born in Canada.

There are many white russian and jewish immigrants too, and I can identify them as well.

How am I racist for observing that?

As for the poppy debate, it's true. Our veterans deserve to never be forgotten and deserve respect by all Canadian citizens.

cdm
11-12-2019, 12:54 PM
If all that is true, and I'm in no position to say that it isn't, then what's wrong with some empathy? What's wrong with acknowledging phrases like "those people" and "you people" are coded specifically to make others feel less than? The purpose is derogatory. How would such a phrase make one of your immigrant friends feel if it were directed at them?

As Eskimo said, this isn't about poppies and it's not about "white[s]...speaking freely". It's about giving a shit about other people and how words (yours, mine, and Don Cherry's) have an effect.

M1ke
11-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Asked:

How am I racist for observing that?

Answered:

Where I live it's clear who is an immigrant based on their wardrobe and accent.

MrLobster
11-12-2019, 01:00 PM
Fired on Veterans day for standing up for veterans.

No, he was fired for not apologizing for being racist. If you can't understand that, I'm not sure we can have a productive conversation. But let's ask the question, aside from saying shitty thing about people, what actual work has he done to support veterans? Any free tickets to any local Legions? Or donated funds to charity? Or lobbied politicians for better treatment of veterans?

People are such flakes these days.

Yeah, like people who get upset at racists being fired...

t's becoming increasingly evident that if you're white then you cannot speak freely, even if it is the truth.

Ha ha ha, no. People can still say the same shit they've always said just now they are being help accountable. Something long over due.

I love everyone... but it's true that I see almost no "immigrants" wearing poppies.

Everyone not indigenous is an immigrant to Canada. So, when people say shit like "immigrants" (and seemingly mean just "brown people"), it's very easy to call them racists... because they are.

Many muslims refuse to wear a poppy because they believe WWI was detrimental to the muslim community and supportive of the jewish community etc... their words not mine.

Got a source for that? Because a lot of Muslims did fight in WW1, as British soliders. Like, 885,000 of them (according the British Legion).

snaapz
11-12-2019, 01:08 PM
That is absolutely not racist.

Saying "that black person will probably steal something" or "whites are all are all lazy meth-heads" or "I hate black people" IS RACIST.

Saying "I hate christians" or "I hate Germans" or "I hate Africans" IS NOT RACIST!!!! ITS RELIGIOUS & ETHNIC DISCRIMINATION

Saying "that black guy has a thick Jamaican accent" IS NOT RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying "That woman is in a full Niqāb, she's likely an immigrant" IS NOT RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!

M1ke
11-12-2019, 01:20 PM
You are wrong, snaapz.

snaapz
11-12-2019, 01:28 PM
I didn't want this to turn into such a debate, but religion and race are not the same thing. Don cherry has honored every recently fallen Canadian soldier on coaches corner and has flown overseas to visit troops.

People are very confused on what racism is, what prejudices are, what stereotyping is, and what discrimination is. There are a lot of "white" muslims and "brown" christians. Like seriously why is it so hard for people to understand this? Ironically I think most people are racist for thinking all muslims are brown; which I myself know not to be true but many of you are arguing that all muslims are brown, therefore to say muslims refuse to wear a poppy is equal to saying brown people refuse to wear a poppy.

Immigration isn't just about race, I am free to stereotype that I will likely never see a white hindu immigrate from Jamaica to Canada with a thick Australian accent and dreadlocks. I will likely see a brother with a good taste in clothes and music with a wicked Jamaican accent and if he is religious then its likely Christianity. That's not racist.

Got a source for that? Because a lot of Muslims did fight in WW1, as British soliders. Like, 885,000 of them (according the British Legion).

Yes I am well aware that the entire world was at war. Here are some snippets, google the rest on your own and discover there is some conflict within the Islamic community with honoring our veterans. In the end Muslims, wonderful people, will support and help anyone in need, but are free to not wear a poppy.

Firstly, the defeat and eventual dismantling of the Ottoman Empire marked the end of a unified Islamic global power who could protect the lives and honour of the Muslims, and history has shown how the Muslim lands have suffered from this lack of leadership.
Secondly, the victorious Allied powers introduced new policies into the Muslim lands, amongst them the infamous Sykes-Picot treaty which inspired the destructive division of Islamic land leading to the unstable modern Middle East and all the problems which have originated from it. The Balfour Declaration, which proposed the idea of a Zionist state in Palestine, also emerged in this time – and we have seen the resulting decades of violence and war that has torn this blessed land apart. Such policies could only be introduced because of the destruction of the Ottoman State at the hands of the Allied powers. In short, the First World War stands out as the direct cause of so many of the devastating problems that we see destroying Muslim lands and lives today. I cannot bring myself to celebrate the “victory” which caused these disasters.
Another reason I am unwilling to support the poppy appeal is the institution of the Armed Forces. The British Army is hardly a golden standard of moral integrity, and there are many examples to demonstrate this. Today, the illegality of the Iraq war (according to UN regulations) is well recognised, as are the atrocities committed by British soldiers during the conflict, not least the systematic brutal torture of Iraqi citizens in British military bases.

mfte
11-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Everyone not indigenous is an immigrant to Canada. .

Can you clarify this?
When you say indigenous do you mean first nations?

M1ke
11-12-2019, 02:37 PM
You're wrong snappz, and on my ignore list now.

botley
11-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Can you clarify this?
When you say indigenous do you mean first nations?
Those indigenous to Canada would include all aboriginal peoples of the First Nations, but also the Métis, and the Inuit.

When MrLobster says everyone else is an "immigrant", that very broadly extends the term to include anyone settling on the land today who isn't within those groups. It's fair to say also that people here who are descended from the African diaspora brought to North America during the transatlantic slave trade are in a separate category, as they are not a settler (at least not by choice). Colonialism is as much a part of Canadian history as our participation in wars.

Anyhow, making prejudiced assumptions about the circumstances under which people (as in the phrase "you people") arrived here, or what symbols they choose to or choose not to display... that's bigotry. Whether it's prejudiced on the basis of race, colour, creed, whatever... it's still bigotry. Stereotype an entire group, and you are behaving as a bigot.

mfte
11-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Those indigenous to Canada would include all aboriginal peoples of the First Nations, but also the Métis, and the Inuit.

When @MrLobster (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5512) says everyone else is an "immigrant", that very broadly extends the term to include anyone settling on the land today who isn't within those groups.

So some who is a 5th generation Canadian is considered an immigrant? That makes no sense in regards to the dictionary definition of the term. I came here when I was a kid. My family and I are immigrants. Surely there is a difference between us and some who's family has been here for generations no?

For the record I am happy to see Cherry go and am surprised that it has taken this long. His anti-intellectualism, bigotry, boorish celebration of violence and divisive rhetoric expired a long time ago.

botley
11-12-2019, 07:23 PM
So some who is a 5th generation Canadian is considered an immigrant? That makes no sense in regards to the dictionary definition of the term. I came here when I was a kid. My family and I are immigrants. Surely there is a difference between us and some who's family has been here for generations no?
Yeah, I would say there is a big difference. I'd never deny that, nor would I self-identify as an immigrant. I'm a settler Canadian. My mom's French ancestors were here before Confederation. But the insistence on other-ing "immigrant" vs. "old stock" Canadians is usually just code for bigotry, and these distinctions are rarely as simple as people assume. It's too convenient to say "don't attack new immigrants, because we are ALL immigrants" in a touchy-feely way, and I'll reiterate that I felt it's too broad to use the word that way. Just say "don't be a bigot"!

MrLobster
12-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Oh Scheer....

HA HA

mfte
12-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Oh Scheer....

HA HA

There should be a criminal investigation into if he actually stole the money.

mfte
02-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Broadcasting report constitutes a stunning overreach
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-the-crtc-report-constitutes-a-stunning-unjustified-power-grab/

thelastdisciple
02-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Oh just great an actual FCC is exactly what we need. :mad:

botley
02-03-2020, 10:34 AM
I'm reserving my outrage until we actually see the legislation that is tabled based on these recommendations (hopefully it does take some of the better ones and turn them into good measures to halt the CBC's slow erosion). In a minority parliament, there won't be much sweeping change without a plurality of MPs and Senators behind it.

thelastdisciple
02-21-2020, 11:17 PM
What has everyone's thoughts been on the Wet'suwet'en B.C. pipeline protests?

botley
02-24-2020, 12:03 PM
What has everyone's thoughts been on the Wet'suwet'en B.C. pipeline protests?

Basically this (https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157706391595861&id=540370860&set=a.10157552144390861).

marodi
02-24-2020, 03:32 PM
I'm 100% with the Wet'suwet'en.

I'd like to remind you that I am a Québécoise, my family has been here for 380 years so we were part of those first to steal land from the First Nations and to commit genocide by sending them clothes and fabrics contaminated with smallpox.

We have a lot to atone for.

mfte
02-26-2020, 06:47 PM
a breakdown of who's who

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wetsuweten-whos-who-guide-1.5471898

Another take on things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyijky2Ea9c

Aladdinsanity
02-27-2020, 06:54 PM
I can't speak for other minorities, but you'll always find someone within indigenous communities who'll lick the boot and tell colonizers what they want to hear.

mfte
02-28-2020, 08:25 PM
I am no fan of corporatism but is it not shortsighted to label any opposing voice from this community as an "uncle tom" ?

In response to thelastdisciple's original question. This situation is a good example of this administration's failure at their supposed commitment to reconciliation.

Aladdinsanity
02-28-2020, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't use that specific term because I'm not black, but there are voices being used to delegitimize legitimate grievances. Most people in general (especially the marginalized) don't want to be appear to rock the boat -- doing so will compromise one's safety. Oppressors always leverage that safety against the marginalized and will often divide and conquer by lifting up the voices of those who wish for safety over sovereignty. Having only a choice between safety or sovereignty is the dilemma perpetually given to us by colonizers.

botley
03-06-2020, 12:58 AM

M1ke
04-03-2020, 07:05 PM
I don't like Doug Ford's politics. I didn't vote for him, and I won't vote for him next time either.

But that said, he's doing a pretty good job handling this pandemic. He's not perfect, but he's doing pretty damn well here. Way better than I expected him to.

Just wanted to say that. The man deserves some props for how he's handling this right now.

Prime Minister Trudeau is doing great too. Again, not perfect, but he's doing really well with it too.

And I'm exceptionally thankful that they're working together right now.

EDIT: Also, Andrew Sheer can suck my fucking cock. Can we get that assclown the hell out of here now?

thelastdisciple
04-04-2020, 09:30 PM
It's kind of crazy because before this pandemic hit Ford gov was going to or had cut public health funding?

Definitely not the time for that now (if ever)!

botley
04-10-2020, 01:00 AM
He definitely did cut health funding (https://t.co/nFdGi5KBaw), under false pretenses too. He promised to "end hallway medicine" (how's that going btw?) ...but because he talks in a reassuring tone and looks like a regular white dude in a suit, he's somehow a statesman? I don't buy it.

https://twitter.com/terrorsuspect/status/1246476314846072836

M1ke
05-13-2020, 12:57 PM
Is anyone else worried that an American militia might come to "liberate" us?

They're broke, armed and about to get a hell of a lot sicker. We've got free health care and (by comparison) are doing really well.

The current agreements on keeping the border closed are set to expire soon, and Trudeau is talking about stepping up screening, which makes me think the border is probably not going to be staying closed for long.

Anyone else worried? Or is it just me?

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like we've got another month at least.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-us-border-expected-to-stay-closed-to-non-essential-travel-to/

thelastdisciple
07-12-2020, 02:43 AM
So Trudeau and WE Charity.

We're getting another election soon, aren't we?

*sigh*

M1ke
07-13-2020, 10:21 AM
So Trudeau and WE Charity.

We're getting another election soon, aren't we?

*sigh*

Minority governments usually don't last as long as Majority ones. I'm not sure about how soon we're going to get a new election anytime soon, but I support Trudeau stepping aside and allowing Crystia Freeland to act as Prime Minister during an ethics investigation as the opposition is calling for.

Honestly, I've had a hard time supporting Trudeau since the whole blackface scandal, and I've been very impressed with everything I've heard about Crystia Freeland. I far prefer Liberal policies to Conservative policies, but Trudeau himself has taken a lot of steps that have damaged my view of him individually. I would feel far better with Crystia Freeland as our PM right now.

botley
08-24-2020, 02:48 AM
Congratulations to Erin O'Toole on losing the next election.

botley
10-05-2020, 03:32 PM
Fuck yeah Annamie Paul! GO DONATE TO HER BY-ELECTION CAMPAIGN, SHE COULD WIN BILL MORNEAU'S OLD SEAT IN THREE WEEKS.

https://youtu.be/KTaytsd1DBg

MrLobster
01-22-2021, 12:20 AM
*laughs at Kenney*

Stupid, corrupt, lying, loser.

marodi
01-22-2021, 02:25 PM
Can I be the next governor general of Canada? I speak the French and the English and I think the queen is a sweet old grandma. That's enough qualification, isn't it?

mfte
04-16-2021, 04:49 PM
Tight lock down measures for Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/latest-ontario-modelling-1.5990518

Police have expanded authority to pull over cars, and people for questioning. This is necessary but will also send the conspiracy minded / gov't overreach crowd over the edge.

botley
04-16-2021, 06:03 PM
No, granting Police even more power is not a necessary measure.

thelastdisciple
04-16-2021, 09:21 PM
Tight lock down measures for Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/latest-ontario-modelling-1.5990518

Police have expanded authority to pull over cars, and people for questioning. This is necessary but will also send the conspiracy minded / gov't overreach crowd over the edge.

Oh yeah, you can bet that Rebel news shithead Ezra Levant will be just milking the hell out of this.

botley
04-16-2021, 09:35 PM
Every single person on my social media, right or left leaning, is upset with the Premier for this utter travesty.

*ghost of Doug Ford Sr.* "THE WRONG KID DIED."

botley
04-17-2021, 09:25 AM
Scientists hate it (https://globalnews.ca/news/7765156/ontario-covid-19-restrictions-ford-david-fisman/amp/). Even the fucking Police hate it:

M1ke
04-17-2021, 04:23 PM
I dunno...we did need more enforcement, but not like this. The way this is set up, all it does is give the police more freedom to hassle visible minorities.

What we really needed was to have more enforcement around the mask mandates. Instead of allowing people who fake a medical condition to enter a store without one, force them to wait outside. Stores will already happily bring your items to the curb for you and shop for you, but these assholes refuse that option when it's presented to them. Some police backup with this would be useful, but that's not what we got.

We need enforcement of distancing, masking and keeping non-essentials home in factories, warehouses and offices. That's not a police matter, that's a workplace inspection issue.

We need to actually start ticketing everyone who shows up at an anti-mask/anti-lockdown/anti-vaccine protest. That's something the police can do, but I don't think this accomplishes this.

There are other things that are needed too, beyond enforcement, like mandatory paid sick days, but we didn't get that.

botley
04-17-2021, 08:35 PM
There are other things that are needed too, beyond enforcement, like mandatory paid sick days, but we didn't get that.
Yeah. We didn't get much of anything from Ford that would actually help make the crisis less bad. At any time at all. In the last thirteen months.

Ford has backed down and cancelled (https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2021/04/17/ontarians-waking-up-to-tough-new-pandemic-restrictions-2/?fbclid=IwAR0NO3xwrfepaTGaHcfFceR-G6A-Uf6nADuHO3FeFF0jN-DLffOjbng61f0#.YHtuLehKg2xhttps://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2021/04/17/ontarians-waking-up-to-tough-new-pandemic-restrictions-2/%23.YHtuLehKg2x) the provincial order re: Police carding any passing citizen they please on penalty of a $750 fine, after a near-universal rebuke (https://mobile.twitter.com/jpags/status/1383434690481188880) for yet another one of his outrageous, arrogant, ill-considered policies that would harm people and waste precious time — while our hospital wards are literally overflowing with people getting sick and dying — as a result of his government and their idiotic prevarications.

NDP, Liberal, Green — a fucking performing cat circus would have done a better job running the province than this clown show in Queen's Park right now.

ManBurning
04-18-2021, 06:46 PM
a fucking performing cat circus

I would love to see a circus of cats in a political position of power. Damn...
I know who I'm voting for next election!

botley
04-19-2021, 04:47 PM
Don't just take my word for it (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/18/ontario-covid-lockdown-doug-ford-canada/).

mfte
04-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Ford popularity plummets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-ford-polls-1.5996751

Ford doesn't know how use a computer.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/2021/04/21/doug-ford-in-seclusion-at-his-late-mothers-etobicoke-home-after-aide-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

cdm
04-22-2021, 01:41 PM
Ford popularity plummets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-ford-polls-1.5996751

And that's before today's presser stunt...wow.

botley
04-22-2021, 03:42 PM
And that's before today's presser stunt...wow.

Fuckin' crocodile tears. I liked the journalist that basically asked "why are you crying, is it because you failed so hard?"

MrLobster
05-24-2021, 11:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jyh8EkP4hU

botley
05-25-2021, 01:35 PM
^ Great analysis, thanks for posting.

mfte
06-01-2021, 09:55 AM
A mass grave of 215 children found near a Residential School in British Columbia. No real response from the Federal Government. I wonder what Trudeau's plan will be. As much as he likes to throw around "reconciliation" the gov't seems to pump effort into research and reports that do not go anywhere. Around Canada's 150th celebrations a lot of people were throwing around the sentiment of "150 years of genocide". I thought that calling it that seemed like a bit much but the discovery of a mass grave at one of the hundreds of Residential Schools is making me feel otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tk-eml%C3%BAps-te-secw%C3%A9pemc-215-children-former-kamloops-indian-residential-school-1.6043778

marodi
06-01-2021, 04:37 PM
A mass grave of 215 children found near a Residential School in British Columbia. No real response from the Federal Government. I wonder what Trudeau's plan will be. As much as he likes to throw around "reconciliation" the gov't seems to pump effort into research and reports that do not go anywhere. Around Canada's 150th celebrations a lot of people were throwing around the sentiment of "150 years of genocide". I thought that calling it that seemed like a bit much but the discovery of a mass grave at one of the hundreds of Residential Schools is making me feel otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tk-eml%C3%BAps-te-secw%C3%A9pemc-215-children-former-kamloops-indian-residential-school-1.6043778

I cringe everytime I read Canada's 150th. I know what it means and what it stands for but it's still making me cringe. And 150 of genocide is making me cringe too, big time.

My family has been here for 385 years now. So yeah, I cringe. And while I don't know if any of my ancestors were involved in the so-called "Indian Wars", I have been taught how the French sent clothes and blackets that they knew had belong to people who have had smallpox to the First Nations. I have been taught that we stole their lands. I have been taught that we tried very hard to assimilate them by having them send their children to Catholic School. So 150 years of genocide? Make that 400 + years.

I know that and I am deeply, deeply ashamed by it. And I am not afraid to call it "genocide".

And I was not surprise at all by that discovery. Wait until we discover the other mass graves.

poinoup
06-04-2021, 11:48 PM
After seeing Kenney's response to the Sky Palace shindig, I will now say that I do everything with "reasonable effort."

MrLobster
07-07-2021, 06:30 PM
https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1412884294905782277

botley
07-07-2021, 08:03 PM
^ OMG pwnd

MrLobster
07-20-2021, 05:22 AM
https://twitter.com/TristanPEJ/status/1417120184037515268

thelastdisciple
07-31-2021, 07:11 AM

Important thread on what the Canadian gov is proposing for harmful content online.

Here also is a direct link to the framework
https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/harmful-online-content/technical-paper.html

botley
08-12-2021, 02:19 PM
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-to-call-federal-election-for-sept-20-kicking-off-this-sunday-reuters-sources-1.5544491

And there it is. Trudeau appears to be asking the GG on Sunday to call a snap election for Sep. 20th. Personally, I think this is a bad move. The Liberal calculation is that they only stand to gain from the other parties' disarray... yeah, maybe, but that doesn't mean you need to drag us all to the fucking polling stations when we just entered a fourth wave.

A podcast I like called The Backbench described this as Machiavellian and... yep, it is. Even MPs in Trudeau's own cabinet who won their seats in 2015 for the first time will literally be running to save their own pensions. If he'd held off even for an extra month, they'd be safe to collect those after the six-year mark.

MrLobster
08-17-2021, 11:37 AM
https://twitter.com/Corporal_Dan83/status/1427494258244825094

Can you believe that he's younger than Trudeau?

M1ke
09-01-2021, 02:42 PM
So we're now less than 3 months away from the election, and I'm trying to get involved in a better way than I have in the past this time. In the past, I've argued my position on the internet, and discussed with family and friends, but that's been the extent of it.

This year I volunteered to help out with Trecia McLennon (https://treciamclennon.ndp.ca/)'s campaign. I did some door knocking on Saturday, delivered some signs on Monday, and I'll be making phone calls for her tonight too.

I kinda suspect we're going to end up with a Liberal government again, but my old ways were really not doing anything, and I'd really like to figure out how to be effective in helping out the candidates that I'd actually like to see win.

thelastdisciple
09-01-2021, 03:31 PM
My riding is the one with the MP making the news lately, our very own Marjorie Taylor Green "Cheryl Gallant". *puke*

She needs to gooooooooo but this area will all but make her a shoe-in. EDIT: FYI she's been our MP since fucking 2000.

bobbie solo
09-04-2021, 04:27 AM
https://youtu.be/3Gepjvs8S60?t=3811

Great, detailed overview of the upcoming snap election and Canadian politics in general (helpful as an American) here. Starting at 1:03:30 with a Canadian leftist/politics junkie, Lance from The Serfs. No idea why this would be age restricted.

marodi
09-04-2021, 04:18 PM
https://twitter.com/Timothy58154191/status/1433643942189453312?s=20

And then that happened. I love it. This deaf, Indigenous man is a hero in my book.

MrLobster
09-07-2021, 01:23 AM
https://twitter.com/JohnMeadows/status/1434878070062817284

MrLobster
09-12-2021, 05:46 PM
https://twitter.com/nscafe/status/1437165422885761031

Advanced polling is on until tomorrow; take advantage of less people being around and at the very least, remember to vote!

botley
09-12-2021, 10:31 PM
I voted too! By mail-in ballot, which I'd never done before. But it was easy and you can apply to do so by Sep. 14th (that's this Tuesday) on Elections Canada's website!

thelastdisciple
09-13-2021, 12:11 AM
My polling station is across the street from me and in the past it's been pretty smooth getting in and getting out, so I'll just wait for the 20th.

That last debate was pretty dreadful though wasn't it? oooph

Also the thought of PPC gaining any ground is disturbing.

M1ke
09-13-2021, 06:59 AM
I did the mail-in ballot this year as well. Be careful if you're doing it though, from what I've been told, if you misspell the candidates name, they'll reject the ballot.

botley
09-13-2021, 09:26 AM
I did the mail-in ballot this year as well. Be careful if you're doing it though, from what I've been told, if you misspell the candidates name, they'll reject the ballot.
Yes, this is the case for any special ballot/write-in situation. I double checked the official list to make sure my candidate's name was right. She seems lovely (a Green Party candidate, btw, just in case anyone's curious if I still vote Green — yes, and despite the naysayers, I think it's still important to vote your conscience).

Greens and PPC may only get one seat each, but I can't help but feel some of the 'extra wacky' Green supporters went over to Bernier's anti-vaxxer tent. Sigh.

MrLobster
09-14-2021, 11:26 PM
https://twitter.com/AbigailBimman/status/1437940752575778820

thelastdisciple
09-15-2021, 05:20 AM
I found the MP candidate debate for my riding, first time I've ever actually seen one although i wouldn't really call it a debate. It's just a Q&A with no back and forth between the candidates.

Anyway, at the end of the day I think it'll be Jodie Primeau of the NDP for my vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuapW5xSwsk

mfte
09-15-2021, 12:41 PM
Whooooops!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-election-2021/two-ndp-candidates-resign-after-social-media-posts-cause-backlash-1.5586163 (https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-election-2021/two-ndp-candidates-resign-after-social-media-posts-cause-backlash-1.5586163)

allegro
09-18-2021, 12:04 AM
https://twitter.com/ohmsb/status/1438853428743184384?s=21

thelastdisciple
09-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Incredible article about the far-right shit storm that's been brewing in Canada.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/09/19/analysis/shocking-anti-vaccine-protests-plagued-canadas-election-spawned-resurgent-far

(https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/09/19/analysis/shocking-anti-vaccine-protests-plagued-canadas-election-spawned-resurgent-far)EDIT: Just got back from voting, my polling station took a little longer than previous times but not much, i was in and out in 10-15 minutes vs. maybe 5 minutes in the past?

Also I saw this coming lol

Green Party candidate withdraws in Ottawa Valley riding

(https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/michael-lariviere-green-party-renfrew-nipissing-pembroke-1.6182180)@botley

see above ^ glad i didn't waste my vote on our former Green candidate.

botley
09-20-2021, 05:25 PM
On the bright side, the Greens have only ejected 50% as many candidates as the NDP have for making antisemitic comments...

Oh well, happy Voting Day everyone!

marodi
09-20-2021, 10:31 PM
Bloody fucking hell! What the actual fucking fuck.

botley
09-20-2021, 10:33 PM
Well, the CBC is now projecting that Trudeau won his unnecessarily-called early election. Looks like (so far) the Liberal Party is holding on to their seats in parliament. Could be a stable-enough plurality to stand for a few more years, or a majority to hang on for four. Too early to predict, but in ridings like my current one that were neck-and-neck in the polls, things are trending red.

Looks like the Greens are leading right now in Kitchener Centre, and Elizabeth May's riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands.

UPDATE: No party will have a majority. Maybe a slight change in the parties' seat counts compared to before the election, but not a significant one. Remind me why tf we did this again.

marodi
09-20-2021, 11:24 PM
But good news! Maxime "I'm an idiot" Bernier has lost!

I will drink to that.

botley
09-20-2021, 11:54 PM
But good news! Maxime "I'm an idiot" Bernier has lost!

I will drink to that.
And his idiot followers voted for garbage candidates in enough numbers around most of Ontario to hold the Conservatives at bay (though not in Peterborough-Kawartha, where they defeated the Liberal cabinet Minister Maryam Monsef).

M1ke
09-21-2021, 12:30 AM
And his idiot followers voted for garbage candidates in enough numbers around most of Ontario to hold the Conservatives at bay (though not in Peterborough-Kawartha, where they defeated the Liberal cabinet Minister Maryam Monsef).

My riding is one of those. The liberal is ahead by fewer votes than the pandemic party took from the conservative.

poinoup
09-21-2021, 01:34 AM
All blue Alberta! Here's to our MP criticizing the Libs at every turn, but never countering with their stance.

And now we return to obliviousness.

“I was certainly hoping for a different result,” Motz said Monday evening. “I think Justin Trudeau should take a hike personally and step away from what he is trying to do to ruin this country. I’m actually surprised and disgusted at the results I’m seeing down east.”

This is a grown man...

thelastdisciple
09-21-2021, 07:01 AM
Cheryl Gallant holds onto her seat.

We need fucking term limits.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

M1ke
09-21-2021, 01:20 PM
https://scontent.fyto3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/242596703_10165847758565061_2380087127394756199_n. jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AJ3ljPfb64sAX92g9x-&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto3-1.fna&oh=66bf7ae098d357161ffeb4e8e9f432c7&oe=614E2627

marodi
09-21-2021, 03:44 PM
So 600 million of our money was spent to end back exactly where we were. All because Woke Justin thought he had bough enough people with all the Covid relief money he sent left and right to get a majority.

Awesome!

poinoup
09-21-2021, 05:14 PM
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Also: Hi, marodi! It's been too long.

botley
09-21-2021, 07:54 PM
A joke from my friend's friend: "what is the difference between the PPC and a toilet? A toilet has a seat!"

MrLobster
10-07-2021, 12:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzwdXo0vWcc

botley
10-13-2021, 09:17 PM
I loved — loved — this interview (https://breachmedia.ca/the-stormy-future-of-canadian-liberalism/). It gave me hope that someone smarter than I am who understands way more than I do shares my analysis of where we are.

elevenism
10-15-2021, 07:25 AM
I loved — loved — this interview (https://breachmedia.ca/the-stormy-future-of-canadian-liberalism/). It gave me hope that someone smarter than I am who understands way more than I do shares my analysis of where we are.
If these US Republican voting laws stand, expect to see me and my wife in the next few years, claiming political asylum.
We actually already tried to head that way in 2013, but I wasn't allowed in due to a DWI.

Please vote for someone who will accept asylum seekers.

poinoup
10-16-2021, 01:26 PM
Our municipal election is Monday. It's been a good old boys club since I can remember. Well... outside of the time they were more panicked about where Playboys were on shelves in stores. They did bylaw readings about it!

Our mayor made sure to continunally add in that he's a conservative... in a town loaded with them. Dude is getting back in easily...

Then the mayor can celebrate at another bar and get caught for another DUI... where they merely take him home safely because it would look bad on the city.

*Looks at the Fords in Ontario*

thelastdisciple
10-16-2021, 10:43 PM
Our municipal election is Monday. It's been a good old boys club since I can remember. Well... outside of the time they were more panicked about where Playboys were on shelves in stores. They did bylaw readings about it!

Our mayor made sure to continunally add in that he's a conservative... in a town loaded with them. Dude is getting back in easily...

Then the mayor can celebrate at another bar and get caught for another DUI... where they merely take him home safely because it would look bad on the city.

*Looks at the Fords in Ontario*

I'll be paying attention to the election in Calgary from Ontario so i can laugh at Kevin J Jerkwad barely registering as a blip on the radar.

EDIT: LOL and also.... get fucked Pawlowski!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCCAVooVkAAwoZV?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCCAVonVUAYiOTr?format=jpg&name=large

MrLobster
10-19-2021, 12:25 AM
yay for Gondek!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-municipal-election-results-2021-1.6215720

MrLobster
10-19-2021, 12:52 AM
I'll be paying attention to the election in Calgary from Ontario so i can laugh at Kevin J Jerkwad barely registering as a blip on the radar.

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1450295784033841154

poinoup
10-19-2021, 01:50 PM
I wish The Hat had a ward system in place, but alas.

mfte
11-25-2021, 09:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yvh6rvCnI