PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana

Pages : [1] 2

laci
12-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Probably my all time favourite band. I really don't know what to say. All the three albums they put out and other great stuff like Incesticide are always on my iPod. I've been collecting Nirvana stuff on vinyl too, so I'm always open for trade / sale.

This year I bought the remastered Nevermind and Live at the Paramount Blu-ray, both are amazing, so you should check them out if you like this band!

Share your thoughts please.

Jinsai
12-05-2011, 05:19 AM
The new remaster of nevermind is inferior to the original digital release. In so many ways.

laci
12-05-2011, 05:21 AM
The new remaster of nevermind is inferior to the original digital release. In so many ways.

The 2009 ORG remaster is way better, of course.

Jinsai
12-05-2011, 05:26 AM
I'm comparing to my original cd copy from when I was a kid. 92 or so? This new brickwalled master has no balls. I don't know about a 2009 master, but sometimes they need to leave "classic" and "perfect" alone IMO

laci
12-05-2011, 05:29 AM
^
Yeah, I get it. Most of the remasters have this problem nowadays. The 4x12" black vinyl version of the new remaster is better, btw.

Jinsai
12-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Yeah. I'd like to hear it. It's on the top of my Xmas lists

laci
12-05-2011, 05:36 AM
^
Put the Paramount BD on the list too if you don't have it, it's killer! :)

Amaro
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I think I hate Nirvana.

Halo Infinity
01-04-2012, 05:32 PM
I actually find myself liking all three albums. I can't really decide on a favorite one.

laci
01-05-2012, 07:10 AM
I actually find myself liking all three albums. I can't really decide on a favorite one.
It really isn't easy, I know. After listening all three albums in a row: I think the mood and sound of In Utero is the best. It still sounds fresh. Well, it's Albini. :)

frankie teardrop
01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
i could do without hearing the entire first half of nevermind ever again, but in utero is the true gem of the catalog. hardly listen, but never tire.

richardp
01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
The Paramount blu-ray is all kinds of fucked up. Wide reports have steady popped up since it's release last year about it being insanely out of sync. I bought it day-1 and lost my receipt, which sucks because it's absolutely unwatchable.

Conan The Barbarian
01-05-2012, 11:58 AM
My blue ray is fine

richardp
01-05-2012, 10:33 PM
My blue ray is fine

Did you buy it when it was a Best Buy exclusive? Google it. It's a very very widely reported problem.

xmd 5a
01-06-2012, 09:29 AM
In Utero is my favourite, but over the years I think I've spun Incesticide the most. Love their completely off-the-wall-batshit stuff.

thevoid99
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
In Utero is also my favorite. I just love the rawness of the performance and Steve Albini's production for that record.

richardp
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
In Utero is definitely Nirvana's best album, and sadly in a couple of years when it gets it's 20th anniversary, it won't be nearly as big of a deal as the Neveremind re-release. In Utero also doesn't even need a remaster either. Albini made that album sound PERFECT.

emptydesk
01-07-2012, 02:45 AM
Definitely more Bob Weston than Albini on IN UTERO.

More of a BLEACH and INCESTICIDE fan, IN UTERO has too much smacked out filler. "Milk It", "Tourettes" and the execrable "Rape Me" make it so I can't listen to the entire album in one go without skipping tracks, unlike all their other releases.

Halo Infinity
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
It really isn't easy, I know. After listening all three albums in a row: I think the mood and sound of In Utero is the best. It still sounds fresh. Well, it's Albini. :)
Now that you've mentioned it, I think that most of my favorites are actually on In Utero. I loved that album, but Bleach is also great too. It also depends on my mood as usual. I also like Nevermind for being the catchiest of the three.

allegro
01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Me, neither.

laci
01-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Today in 1992 Nirvana performed at the NBC Studios for Saturday Night Live. On the same day Nevermind went #1 on the chart knocking Michael Jackson’s “Dangerous” off the top spot. Everything started to change. Exactly 20 years ago.

Space Suicide
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Today in 1992 Nirvana performed at the NBC Studios for Saturday Night Live. On the same day Nevermind went #1 on the chart knocking Michael Jackson’s “Dangerous” off the top spot. Everything started to change. Exactly 20 years ago.

Yes but it didn't last long really...2 years after your event markers then it was over.

I have a love/hate relationship with Nirvana. Sometimes I think they are brilliant but most of the time I find them grossly overrated and my least favorite of the group they are usually slumped into (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains..etc) as far as my frequency of listening and fandom. Though I must say I own and love my 20th anniversary edition Bleach. My favorite. I like handfuls of songs from their other albums but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of all they have.

I don't think they'd be considered as popular and 'influential' as they are now if Kurt hadn't committed suicide. But that's just me.

allegro
01-11-2012, 10:30 PM
^^ Out of curiosity, were you around (and old enough to be fully aware of the general hair metal music crap scene) when Nevermind came out? And the impact it had? The HUGE impact it had?

At the time, I thought Nirvana was sent by Jesus to save rock.

Seriously, even MTV completely changed. The video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit," with the cheerleaders with hairy armpits and all that? It was, like, HOLY FUCK, TOTO, WE AIN'T IN WHITE SNAKE KANSAS, ANYMORE.

I mean, really, THIS in 1992, unless you were there, you cannot possibly imagine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-r9tuPrZK4&ob=av3e

Kurt was fucking brilliant. If you have any doubts, read his journals. It's one of my favorite books.

theruiner
01-12-2012, 12:32 AM
It's really nice to see some unabashed Nirvana love.

I can't say I listen to them nearly as much as I did growing up (they were definitely one of my absolute favorite bands back then), but I do still consider myself a fan. In Utero has always been my favorite*. Nevermind is still a great, great album, but I think In Utero is far superior.

I will say, though, that the unplugged album has always bored me to tears. Every once in awhile I'll dust it off and give it another shot, but I've never really been able to get into it.

I will never forget putting Nevermind in the stereo after buying it and hearing the opening riff for "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I mean, I had heard that song before certainly, but I was just sort of finding my way in music and developing my own taste and had never really sat down and listened to it before, you know what I mean? So I very excitedly bought that album (I remember having to search for it, because for some reason our local Best Buy didn't have it...this was in 96 or so) and went home and popped it in and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Every once in awhile, even though I've heard that song a million times and it's not even close to being my favorite Nirvana track, I'll throw that album on and that riff will still give me chills. It may be overplayed, but it is a fucking incredible song.

*=I still haven't heard "Bleach," though. I know, I know. I know. *dodges flying tomatoes* I'll probably end up making a blind buy one of these days.

frankie teardrop
01-12-2012, 10:01 AM
the group they are usually slumped into (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains..etc)

i know they were all part of the same town and therefore, lumped in together as part of the grunge movement, but i've always personally felt that bands like nirvana and smashing pumpkins were far too diverse and eclectic to really fit that mold. nirvana came off to me more like a modern, vital punk band despite having the same sludgy, heavy edge from time to time.

i'm not trying to separate them from the movement, but perhaps trying to shed some light on your (lack of?) interest.

NotoriousTIMP
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
After reading this thread I think I might dust off my Nirvana CDs and load them on the iPhone. It's been ages since I last listened to any of their tunes (except for when I went to the EMP here in Seattle and got the chance to see a bunch of cool Nirvana stuff)

Funny story: when I was in 5th or 6th grade I asked my mom to buy me the CD with the guy/kid on the cover in a pool (I didn't know the band's name back then) and when I came home I found the CD sitting on my kitchen table. I quickly ran up to my room and popped it in only to be like "what the heck is this!?" - my mom bought me Off the Deep End by Weird Al. (-_-)

Tapatapa?

PooPooMeowChow
01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
"Negative Creep" comes on the radio yesterday.
my friend - "I cant imagine making this song and thinking it was good."
me - "You know who this is?"
friend - "no"
me - "it's Nirvana, from their first album"
Friend - "wow, they got way better."

I always liked Bleach and felt it fit with the other albums. How do you guys like it?

frankie teardrop
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
bleach is the only record of theirs that more or less fits the original grunge sound (i mean the original seattle/alternative mish-mosh as opposed to the media's overhyped take on the genre), while cobain explored more pop and experimental influences for the follow-ups. rough and tumble...hit and miss, but enough great stuff to make for an enjoyable listen. 'blew' and 'school' are favorites.

allegro
01-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I love all of Bleach. And Nevermind.

If I was pressed to name the least favorite, it'd be In Utero.

edit: re above post: I don't think you can get any more 'pop' than "About A Girl."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpMt_YqVbhw

allegro
01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
p.s. After recently chatting with a 20-something law clerk who I considered fairly knowledgeable about various music and finding that he'd never seen Cameron Crowe's "Singles" -- I highly recommend it, for, um, I'm not sure why but I've seen it about 900 times. Not that Nirvana appears in it, but, well, you know.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUeHyaAMOxA

Um, here's what Nirvana thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSb-qw9hxdM&feature=related

frankie teardrop
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
yeah yeah, but 'about a girl' is the one pop anomaly on that record. always reminded me of the cure's 'm,' too.

singles was good fun. the dating ads crack my shit up.

xmd 5a
01-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I haven't heard Bleach in so long. I think I kind of dismissed it because it wasn't as catchy as Nevermind, as interesting as In Utero or oddball as Incesticide. I'll have to track down a copy and give it another go I think.

BRoswell
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I love all three albums for different reasons. Although Nevermind and In Utero are closer in terms of style, there's definitely a separation of ideas there that makes them both unique and yet linked at the same time.

It's a shame that Cobain felt he had to end it, but having read his suicide note, I can understand why. Music seemed to be all he had, and his enjoyment of it had left him. If that's all you've got and it's gone, then I can see why you would rather die than go on living a lie. I think it would have been great had the band decided to abandon the grunge/rock scene and continue in the direction that their Unplugged performance showed. Perhaps if Cobain had thought it was worth it in the end, Nirvana would still be with us today. Who knows what could have been...

PooPooMeowChow
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Fuck those guys are funny.

Alice in Chains is by far my favorite Grunge band.
Any one for Grunge thread?

Halo Infinity
01-12-2012, 11:59 PM
*=I still haven't heard "Bleach," though. I know, I know. I know. *dodges flying tomatoes* I'll probably end up making a blind buy one of these days.
Not a problem dude. If you loved Nevermind, along with your love for Smells Like Teen Spirit, Bleach will most likely satisfy you, or more depending on what you're looking for. Then again, I'm one of those people that don't think you can go wrong with all three albums. Aside from that, I hope you like Bleach. I definitely liked it the instant I heard Blew for the first time.

And on a very small note, I noticed that In Bloom has finally grew on me. I used to always skip that song whenever I was listening to Nevermind.

think i'm a fire engine
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Alice in Chains is by far my favorite Grunge band.
Any one for Grunge thread?

I wouldn't call AiC grunge. If you start a grunge thread, you'll just get a bunch of people arguing about what grunge is and isn't and what bands are good. Go post in the AiC thread, or start a "early-90s Seattle scene" thread.

Space Suicide
02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/429459_325677077468222_186916048010993_887211_1132 929437_n.jpg

botley
01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
I thought this was pretty brilliant: "secret memo" (http://www.collapseboard.com/blogs/wallace-wylie/secret-memo-regarding-nirvanas-in-utero-reissue-leaked/) on In Utero 20th anniversary reissue (not real but amazing satire).

kas23
01-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I thought this was pretty brilliant: "secret memo" (http://www.collapseboard.com/blogs/wallace-wylie/secret-memo-regarding-nirvanas-in-utero-reissue-leaked/) on In Utero 20th anniversary reissue (not real but amazing satire).

While I agree with the premise that people only want to read and hear things they already know, that "memo" reads like someone in high school wrote it.

botley
01-07-2013, 07:14 PM
...you think the real record industry cartel leaders are exercising more intelligence than that? If you were satirizing something or someone, would you over- or under-estimate their intelligence in a satirical portrayal?

Highly Psychological
01-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Nirvana are just one of those bands that have been overexposed. They were fucking brilliant but Kurt Cobain's legend became this tool to sell magazines that certain publications to this day still rely heavily upon him. I see his face on the front cover of music magazines in 2012 and i just feel there is no need for this any more. Its been too much for too long. Every area of his life to an insane degree has been documented. I ended up disliking him reading his journals, the whole thing just seemed like it was romanticizing a very sick mentally ill guy.

To me they were just a really good influential band that were around for a few years in the early 90s then ended. It must be an American thing, Nirvana were never this catalyst in the UK. It seems that in the U.S Nirvana were THE thing that introduced Alternative rock to the mainstream. Over here it was never really like that. Hair Metal was never ever ever cool and didnt get much airplay. Bands like The Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cult, New Order, U2, Stone Roses, Echo and the Bunnymen, The The, Cocteau Twins, The Cure etc had been top of the charts throughout the 1980s. Even The Pixies who were American were Number 1 here but were totally obscure in the U,S. It seemed much more segregated in the U.S. Until Nirvana it almost seems there was no room for anything like that.
But listening to Nevermind its impossible to think of that record not being huge. I love it. If you ignore the whole epic legacy and weight of all that and just play it it's a brilliant record i love the production. Although i know a lot of people say it sounds dated. My favorite track is Come as You Are...serious beautiful gloomy masterpiece that track. Love the video too.
Best Nirvana track of all time in my opinion Scentless Apprentice... Hear the Big Black influence in that.
Also love Dive, Anyserysm, Son of a Gun, and Silver.

InvitingmeAway
08-20-2013, 03:24 AM
Just got the 20th anniversary edition of Bleach. Really cool, nice booklet and live show!!

BRoswell
08-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Surprised no one has brought up the new In Utero release:

Disc One:
1. "Serve The Servants" (Albini mix/original release)
2. "Scentless Apprentice" (Albini mix/original release)
3. "Heart-Shaped Box" (Litt mix/original release)
4. "Rape Me" (Albini mix/original release)
5. "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle" (Albini mix/original release)
6. "Dumb" (Albini mix/original release)
7. "Very Ape" (Albini mix/original release)
8. "Milk It" (Albini mix/original release)
9. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Albini mix/original release)
10. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Albini mix/original release)
11. "tourette's" (Albini mix/original release)
12. "All Apologies" (Litt mix/original release)
13. "Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip" (ex-U.S. bonus track)
14. "Marigold" (B-side b/w "Heart Shaped Box)
15. "Moist Vagina" (B-side b/w "All Apologies")
16. "Sappy"
17. "I Hate Myself And Want To Die"
18. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Litt mix)
19. "Heart-Shaped Box" (Albini mix/unreleased)
20. "All Apologies" (Albini mix/unreleased)

Disc Two:
1. "Serve The Servants" (2013 mix)
2. "Scentless Apprentice" (2013 mix)
3. "Heart-Shaped Box" (2013 mix)
4. "Rape Me" (2013 mix)
5. "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle" (2013 mix)
6. "Dumb" (2013 mix)
7. "Very Ape" (2013 mix)
8. "Milk It" (2013 mix)
9. "Pennyroyal Tea" (2013 mix)
10. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (2013 mix)
11. "tourette's" (2013 mix)
12. "All Apologies (2013 mix)
13. "Scentless Apprentice" (Rio demo)
14. "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle" (Laundry Room demo)
15. "Dumb" (Word Of Mouth demo)
16. "Very Ape" (Rio demo)
17. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Word Of Mouth demo)
18. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Word Of Mouth demo)
19. "tourette's" (Word Of Mouth demo)
20. "Marigold" (Upland Studios demo)
21. "All Apologies" (Music Source demo)
22. "Forgotten Tune" (Rehearsal)
23. "Jam" (Word Of Mouth demo)

Disc Three: (Live and Loud: Live at Pier 48, Seattle, WA - 12/13/93)
1. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter"
2. "Drain You"
3. "Breed"
4. "Serve The Servants"
5. "Rape Me"
6. "Sliver"
7. "Pennyroyal Tea"
8. "Scentless Apprentice"
9. "All Apologies"
10. "Heart-Shaped Box"
11. "Blew"
12. "The Man Who Sold The World"
13. "School"
14. "Come As You Are"
15. "Lithium"
16. "About a Girl"
17. "Endless, Nameless"

Disc Four: (DVD - Live & Loud: Live at Pier 48, Seattle, WA - 12/13/93)
1. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter"
2. "Drain You"
3. "Breed"
4. "Serve The Servants"
5. "Rape Me"
6. "Sliver"
7. "Pennyroyal Tea"
8. "Scentless Apprentice"
9. "All Apologies"
10. "Heart-Shaped Box"
11. "Blew"
12. "The Man Who Sold The World"
13. "School"
14. "Come As You Are"
15. "Lithium"
16. "About a Girl"
17. "Endless, Nameless"

DVD Extras:
18. "Very Ape" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
19. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
20. "Rape Me" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
21. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
22. "Heart-Shaped Box" (Original Music Video and Director’s Cut)
23. "Rape Me" (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" – Paris, France)
24. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" – Paris, France)
25. "Drain You" (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" – Paris, France)
26. "Serve The Servants" (Live on “Tunnel” – Rome, Italy)
27. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Live in Munich, Germany)
28. "My Best Friend's Girl" (Live in Munich, Germany)
29. "Drain You" (Live in Munich, Germany)

laci
09-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Has anybody already heard the new editions of IN UTERO?
I've just downloaded the Super Deluxe Edition (will buy it later for sure) and the 2013 mixes are fantastic. Good work Mr. Albini and Nirvana mates.

xmd 5a
09-23-2013, 06:01 AM
I got the 2CD version yesterday. I gave disc one a spin for a bit of a nostalgia trip, but I haven't tried the second disc yet. Albini owns so I'm looking forward to it!

laci
09-23-2013, 06:04 AM
I thought today is the release day, but no surprises, I saw Hesitation Marks CDs and Deluxe Editions in Milan in August 28. :)

aggroculture
09-24-2013, 05:06 AM
http://m.spin.com/articles/nirvana’s-in-utero-20th-anniversary-box-set/

I gravitate towards the Deluxe 2-cd, but this makes me curious about the Live and Loud DVD. But $125 is more than I can afford these days.

RJK
09-24-2013, 07:36 AM
http://m.spin.com/articles/nirvana’s-in-utero-20th-anniversary-box-set/

I gravitate towards the Deluxe 2-cd, but this makes me curious about the Live and Loud DVD. But $125 is more than I can afford these days.

The Live and Loud DVD is available separately.

qotsa_1992
09-24-2013, 10:54 AM
some of the new mixes of the song are weird. like the whole really random guitar stuff in all apologies kinda sounds weird in the new mix but the others sound pretty good

thevoid99
09-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I'm listening to the new mix of the album right now. There's stuff about it that's a bit off like the solo in "Serve the Servants" seems a bit more polished as I missed hearing the feedback squeals and such.

Conan The Barbarian
09-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I'm listening to the new mix of the album right now. There's stuff about it that's a bit off like the solo in "Serve the Servants" seems a bit more polished as I missed hearing the feedback squeals and such.

I would go as far as saying it is a different solo than what was originally intended. I do say this is a different way to experience this album. I am enjoying this one, even more than I did with the Nevermind SE.

Space Suicide
09-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Might have to be an asshole and download these to see if it warrants a purchase. I bought the deluxe re-issue of Bleach a few years back and I wonder if this is anything similar.

klyrish
09-24-2013, 07:11 PM
I would go as far as saying it is a different solo than what was originally intended. I do say this is a different way to experience this album. I am enjoying this one, even more than I did with the Nevermind SE.
I noticed the same thing and was taken aback. With the reissue of Ten, the new mix sounded incredible and there were parts of songs that I'd never heard before due to being previously drown in an ocean of reverb, but with In Utero, it was clear this was different. So I looked for reviews and came across the Pitchfork review which had this to say:

This exploratory ethos also informs In Utero’s new 2013 mix, overseen by Albini with input from Novoselic, Grohl, and Smear. Strangely enough, the revamp was inspired by another rock icon who died at 27: Novoselic recently revealed (http://exclaim.ca/News/krist_novoselic_steve_albini_discuss_nirvanas_in_u tero_reissue) the idea came to him after hearing a gussied-up Doors compilation that emphasized certain, previously unnoticed sonic details. Albini, however, has offered a more pragmatic rationale: In Utero’s quick gestation period meant some mixing decisions were made off-the-cuff, resulting in various instrumental parts, alternate guitar solos, and harmony lines being left out. As he told podcaster Vish Khanna (http://vishkhanna.com/2013/08/16/ep-24-steve-albini/), his intention was not to replace the 1993 mix, but to simply take a snapshot of the same songs “from a different angle.” The new version is in fact more textured and nuanced, but not at the expense of the album's bone-dry, brutalizing crunch. Most of its touch-ups are tastefully unobtrusive and illuminating, like the unearthed cello lines creeping behind the chorus of “Serve the Servants” that bring a greater sense of melancholy to the fore, or the screeching strings and slowly decaying fadeout of “All Apologies” that lend a more palpable degree of finality to the proceedings. But there are times where the listening experience is reduced to a parlor game of spotting what’s been added and what’s been omitted: On the upside, “Scentless Apprentice” now sounds like it’s being screamed into a toilet, pushing the song to exciting new levels of gnarliness, but excising the cello parts that are so integral to “Dumb” is, well, kinda dumb.So it's not only an alternate mix, but also somewhat of an alternate version of the album. I also love the new intro to Very Ape. And somehow, "All Apologies" is even MORE haunting.

Full review: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18517-nirvana-in-utero-20th-anniversary-edition/

I love it. I absolutely LOVE this new version. This has long been one of my favorite albums of all time (easily in the top 3) and this new version makes me appreciate and love it even more. To date, I've never heard an album that sounds as heavy, dark and raw as In Utero. Albini's original mixing/mastering is a work a genius.

DF118
10-13-2013, 11:09 PM
The 2013 mix of In Utero is Godly.

Conan The Barbarian
10-14-2013, 05:26 PM
I agree and disagree.

I think its interesting, but I get pissed when Radio Friendly Unit Shifter gets cut at the end.

koz-ivan
10-15-2013, 08:50 AM
on one hand i want to say "sweet merciful fuck, they are still milking the nirvana cash cow?"

otoh the in utero packages look like they tried to provide some nice content, with the new mixes, inclusion of all (most?) of the b-sides, the demo tracks, and the live material to round out the package.

allegro
11-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Weird, I don't remember ever having read this RS interview, before (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kurt-cobain-the-rolling-stone-interview-19940127).

Even weirder, I was AT THIS SHOW!!

A shirtless, disheveled Kurt Cobain pauses on the backstage stairway leading to Nirvana's dressing room at the Aragon Ballroom, in Chicago, offers a visitor a sip of his après-gig tea and says in a drop-deadpan voice, "I'm really glad you could make it for the shittiest show on the tour."

He's right. Tonight's concert – Nirvana's second of two nights at the Aragon, only a week into the band's first U.S. tour in two years – is a real stinker. The venue's cavernous sound turns even corrosive torpedoes like "Breed" and "Territorial Pissings" into riff pudding, and Cobain is bedeviled all night by guitar – and vocal – monitor problems. There are moments of prickly brilliance: Cobain's sandpaper howl cutting through the Aragon's canyonlike echo in the tense, explosive chorus of "Heart–Shaped Box"; a short, stunning "Sliver" with torrid power strumming by guest touring guitarist Pat Smear (ex-Germs). But there is no "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and when the house lights go up, so does a loud chorus of boos.

screwdriver
11-30-2013, 11:19 AM
on one hand i want to say "sweet merciful fuck, they are still milking the nirvana cash cow?"

otoh the in utero packages look like they tried to provide some nice content, with the new mixes, inclusion of all (most?) of the b-sides, the demo tracks, and the live material to round out the package.

kids today don't give a fuck about nirvana

and all is right with the world.

45rpm
12-01-2013, 06:19 PM
The 20th Anniversary Edition of In Utero is pretty fucking great and Live & Loud was a great show. Nice to have that on DVD finally with all of those bonus performances.

Jinsai
12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
finally sat down and listened to the "2013 Mix" Record Store Day version of In Utero. It sounds good, but can someone tell me what the story is behind this and what/who was involved in making it the "2013 mix," because it shies away from Albini's choices.

In general, "kids today" don't give a fuck about any band that was making music before 2010.

BRoswell
12-01-2013, 08:38 PM
It sounds good, but can someone tell me what the story is behind this and what/who was involved in making it the "2013 mix," because it shies away from Albini's choices.

Albini was actually behind the new mix.

Jinsai
12-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Albini was actually behind the new mix.

THAT is incredibly interesting

rampface
12-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Yes Albini remixed the album with Krist and I think Dave was there also but not sure. Krist said in some interview that it was done to hear the record "from another angle" or something. I can't remember the exact quote. It's an interesting listen but solidifies the original mix as the definitive version in my opinion. Which is ironic considering the history of this record and the label having issues with the raw sound back in '93 and even Kurt being dissatisfied with a couple tracks and remixing them with Scott Litt. Seems they made all the right choices in the end. In Utero is easily my favorite Nirvana record.

ManOfAtom
12-02-2013, 07:00 AM
This is a good interview with Albini about the whole reissue project: http://vishkhanna.com/2013/08/16/ep-24-steve-albini/

But yeah, the idea behind this new mix was to use parts and ideas left behind on the original mix, so alt. takes and stuff. It's not a new definitive mix (that's still the original version), it's just a different take on what could have been.

cahernandez
12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
^^ Out of curiosity, were you around (and old enough to be fully aware of the general hair metal music crap scene) when Nevermind came out? And the impact it had? The HUGE impact it had?

At the time, I thought Nirvana was sent by Jesus to save rock.

Seriously, even MTV completely changed. The video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit," with the cheerleaders with hairy armpits and all that? It was, like, HOLY FUCK, TOTO, WE AIN'T IN WHITE SNAKE KANSAS, ANYMORE.

I mean, really, THIS in 1992, unless you were there, you cannot possibly imagine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-r9tuPrZK4&ob=av3e

Kurt was fucking brilliant. If you have any doubts, read his journals. It's one of my favorite books.

Hey allegro, I remember when the book came out but it didn't catch my interest, but your comment makes me want to read it. Care to elaborate more on the book?

BrokenSpiral
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
They are up for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year right? Wonder what they do as far as performance. Dave Krist and pat come out and jam alone? Guest singer?

laci
02-27-2014, 04:35 AM
I'm sure the singer will be PJ Harvey. At least Dave would like her to sing Milk It.

In other news: in April we'll get a Pennyroyal Tea 7" single for RSD2014. A single that only exists officially on CD (in very limited quantities) now finally get a vinyl release, hell yeah!

fillow
02-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Paul McCartney.
Or, what if Dave himself will sing and Chad Channing play drums?

mfte
02-27-2014, 07:47 AM
The All Apologies demo on this release has such a different vibe.

GulDukat
02-27-2014, 07:58 AM

That's just not true. Nirvana and Kurt Cobain are arguably as relevant today as they were in 1994. They've been frozen in amber.

screwdriver
02-27-2014, 10:33 AM
That's just not true. Nirvana and Kurt Cobain are arguably as relevant today as they were in 1994. They've been frozen in amber.

That's just not true.

its all good, dude
I just don't see it
the whole grunge thing has been exposed as the incredibly vapid, shallow thing it was

mfte
02-27-2014, 02:47 PM
its all good, dude
I just don't see it
the whole grunge thing has been exposed as the incredibly vapid, shallow thing it was

I wouldn't say that it was was grunge that was vapid and shallow. Any "Scene" or "sound" that blows up on a mass marketing shopping mall scale is fated to become a vapid shallow thing.

Mantra
02-27-2014, 03:19 PM
I think Nirvana's one of those weird groups where they transcend the same genre they define. They're the most obvious go-to example of grunge, and yet there are tons of people who listen to them and don't know/care at all about the larger genre, because the band has just become way, way bigger than that. (See also: massive attack vs. triphop; nine inch nails vs. industrial, etc).

Halo Infinity
02-27-2014, 04:10 PM
So from the looks of it, especially in the Controversial Music Opinions Thread, it seems like a lot of people on ETS also love In Utero. Bleach has also grown on me a lot, but I'll still admit that it's sometimes hard for me choose in between each album. However, there also seem to be exceptions with Nirvana fans that also prefer Incesticide the most.

neorev
02-27-2014, 06:31 PM
For me, In Utero is one of the greatest rock albums... forget grunge... Rock.
The best production ever on a rock record, like you are in the room with the band.
So raw and present.

GulDukat
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
The best production ever on a rock record, like you are in the room with the band.
So raw and present.
Well said.

Of their three albums, it's really a toss-up between Nevermind and In Utero. Bleach is great too, but Cobain had yet to reach his full potential.

neorev
02-28-2014, 03:24 PM
I gotta agree... I think Nirvana was only at the beginning. If Kurt Cobain was still alive, I think we would have gotten a much more matured body of work as they went along. I think the MTV Unplugged concert showed that they were still growing and rediscovering themselves. I heard how Kurt wanted to do a more acoustic/less noisy type of album. It's a shame... yes, they did deliver four great albums (coming from a fan of the big 4: Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide, & In Utero)... but I think we only had just scratched the service of who Kurt Cobain was and what Nirvana could have become. I imagined a follow up to In Utero would have been drastically different and would have divided fans just as In Utero did with fans expecting another Nevermind album.

In Utero may be my favorite album... but my favorite track from them actually comes from Incesticide... and I believe this track shows they can be much, much more than some noisy screaming makes no sense grunge group... and that song is AERO ZEPPELIN

Find it funny that in this video's description, uploader wrote "Grunge Forever!" since this song is far, far, far, far, far, farfarfarfar, far from being a grunge track.

AERO ZEPPELIN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3laafsayBxE

oh man! for a song from back in '92, gotta love the quick double pedals in this one before double pedals became the norm in rock, especially metal.
actually according from Wiki's info... this track is from an '88 studio demo tape with Dale Crover on drums and produced by Jack Endino who produced Bleach with them.

cahernandez
04-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Did anyone see this:
http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=45996

and this:
http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=46042
?

october_midnight
04-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Yes. It was on Pitchfork and other sites this morning.

r_k_f
04-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Kudos to Grohl for giving props to the former drummers of the band, unlike the Hall......

laci
04-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Kim Gordon is 61 and she was totally sexy and did a great job on Aneurysm.

xmd 5a
04-15-2014, 06:32 AM
From what I've seen on YouTube all of the singers did a great job, but Kim Gordon's performance was really something else. She's still got it in spades.

allegro
06-02-2014, 07:58 PM
From what I've seen on YouTube all of the singers did a great job, but Kim Gordon's performance was really something else. She's still got it in spades.

HBO is showing the 2014 Hall of Fame induction ceremony and I missed most of it and happened to come in halfway through Joan Jett singing Smells Like Teen Spirit (which I thought was great, btw) but, yeah, Kim totally killed this, hilariously.

I DVRd the 6/3 10 pm broadcast.

Jesus Christ, Dave is such a great fucking drummer.

thevoid99
06-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I saw some of the induction ceremony. I'm glad Dave thanked the other drummers who came before him as it was acknowledgement of their contributions as Chad Channing deserves to be inducted. I didn't see Kim Gordon sing but I did see Joan Jett, St. Vincent, and Lorde as they were really damn good.

GulDukat
06-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I saw some of the induction ceremony. I'm glad Dave thanked the other drummers who came before him as it was acknowledgement of their contributions as Chad Channing deserves to be inducted. I didn't see Kim Gordon sing but I did see Joan Jett, St. Vincent, and Lorde as they were really damn good.

Channing should have been inducted. The Rock N' Roll HOF is kind of arbitrary with regard to which band members are inducted. For example, with the RHCP, why was Josh Klinghoffer inducted, even though he's only been with them for a few years and only played on one (forgettable) album, yet Dave Navarro was not inducted? (and he actually had a hit album with the band).

allegro
06-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Channing should have been inducted. The Rock N' Roll HOF is kind of arbitrary with regard to which band members are inducted. For example, with the RHCP, why was Josh Klinghoffer inducted, even though he's only been with them for a few years and only played on one (forgettable) album, yet Dave Navarro was not inducted? (and he actually had a hit album with the band).

Every fucking member of the Dead were inducted. Yet two current members of Kiss weren't inducted.

Really, the HoF is a joke. It's not like the baseball HoF or anything like that. It's not an honor, it's just a bunch of suits bringing in a bunch of cash at a shitty museum that's like a giant Hard Rock Cafe. HOWEVER, I watched it for the performance.

My husband commented that Kurt would've thought this was all really stupid, and he's probably right.

Kurt's daughter didn't bother showing up.

(neither did Johnny Rotten when the Sex Pistols were inducted).

thevoid99
06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Actually, none of the Sex Pistols showed up when they got inducted. It just goes to show how much of a joke the ceremony is.

Yeah, Kurt wouldn't have done it and he wouldn't even bother wear a tux.

allegro
06-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Actually, none of the Sex Pistols showed up when they got inducted. It just goes to show how much of a joke the ceremony is.

Yeah, Kurt wouldn't have done it and he wouldn't even bother wear a tux.
True, I meant to say all of the Sex Pistols, and Johhny faxed a hilarious note!! The whole thing is stupid. Mostly the "Hall" ugh really stupid.

List of No Shows (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/a-history-of-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-no-shows-20120412)

richardp
06-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Seeing Kim Gordon thrash her way through Aneurysm on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reunion was not only probably the most punk thing that will happen all year, but also makes me think that a full length Nirvana album fronted by her would actually be a pretty cool thing were that to ever even be a thing. Annie Clark also did a really good job. Can't wait to see that whole secret Bar show get released. Now I'm oozing with anticipation to hear Kim Gordon do Moist Vagina.

barkhammer
06-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Seeing Kim Gordon thrash her way through Aneurysm on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reunion was not only probably the most punk thing that will happen all year, but also makes me think that a full length Nirvana album fronted by her would actually be a pretty cool thing were that to ever even be a thing. Annie Clark also did a really good job. Can't wait to see that whole secret Bar show get released. Now I'm oozing with anticipation to hear Kim Gordon do Moist Vagina.

In the meantime...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VcU7MG-Lk

richardp
06-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Had no idea that existed. Phenomenal.

gorast
06-03-2014, 02:20 AM
Easily the best thing about the HoF is the way it facilitates interesting performances. That's really all I watched it for - particularly seeing Bruce and the E Street Band play with David Sancious and Vini Lopez again. What a moment.

Nirvana's performances were great, too. I think Lorde was probably my favorite, with St. Vincent right behind her.

neorev
06-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I thought Kim Gordon was the worst of the four performances... I found it to be terrible and ruined the song. To each their own.

allegro
06-03-2014, 09:48 AM
I think Lorde was probably my favorite
I kept waiting for Lorde to uncoil herself. Does she have muscular dystrophy or something?

I thought Kim Gordon was the worst of the four performances... I found it to be terrible and ruined the song. To each their own.
Pretty sure Kurt would have loved it.

richardp
06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Pretty sure Kurt would have loved it.

I remember reading that either Dave or Kris also stated how overwhelmed they were with Kim Gordon's performance and that Kurt would have been head over heels for it. Not that the other ladies weren't great, but Gordon was the only one who "got it". She didn't just stand there are play. She threw herself entirely into it.

allegro
06-03-2014, 02:48 PM
I remember reading that either Dave or Kris also stated how overwhelmed they were with Kim Gordon's performance and that Kurt would have been head over heels for it. Not that the other ladies weren't great, but Gordon was the only one who "got it". She didn't just stand there are play. She threw herself entirely into it.

This is a great article about their '91 tour (http://www.spin.com/articles/inside-sonic-youth-and-nirvanas-epic-1991-tour/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTRqwTqqKxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fl0I-NmOTpw

NotoriousTIMP
01-27-2015, 02:14 AM
So I have a friend visiting from Japan who is a HUGE Nirvana fan and today we made our way out to Aberdeen, WA so we could take the following photos....enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/7B61FE35-A6BB-4A7C-AC48-9EA5D31A0276_zpsraunqtj7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/7B61FE35-A6BB-4A7C-AC48-9EA5D31A0276_zpsraunqtj7.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/BEECA96E-2468-43CF-B1AD-24243B095A7B_zpsinfckgts.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/BEECA96E-2468-43CF-B1AD-24243B095A7B_zpsinfckgts.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/2525C7EE-705E-4B1D-A966-5540EAA96DDD_zpslcfcqxeh.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/2525C7EE-705E-4B1D-A966-5540EAA96DDD_zpslcfcqxeh.jpg.html)

Kurt's childhood home. It's currently valued at around $64,000 and the owners who bought it in 2002 want $500,000 for it. I guess it still has writing on the walls in Kurt's old room and comes with a few original pieces of furniture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/E1F92A52-A3E5-400E-8E3C-C9BE33636508_zpswz0zwe9v.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/E1F92A52-A3E5-400E-8E3C-C9BE33636508_zpswz0zwe9v.jpg.html)

Then two blocks over at Riverfront Park there is a small memorial in his honor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/5D512C26-41BD-433A-835F-15AB27F287C3_zpsazfhwhwn.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/5D512C26-41BD-433A-835F-15AB27F287C3_zpsazfhwhwn.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/37B2B037-E7AF-47B0-963C-56C830D0F8F2_zpsighomhxg.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/37B2B037-E7AF-47B0-963C-56C830D0F8F2_zpsighomhxg.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/AEACA7F1-DD22-42DC-B01E-069510FF3E56_zpsgohhwpfb.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/AEACA7F1-DD22-42DC-B01E-069510FF3E56_zpsgohhwpfb.jpg.html)

NotoriousTIMP
01-27-2015, 02:15 AM
Front:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/5E07B4D0-B2E1-4D24-B39E-878A715A750A_zpsdwhinv1v.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/5E07B4D0-B2E1-4D24-B39E-878A715A750A_zpsdwhinv1v.jpg.html)

Back:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/70DB93D3-2AF0-49DA-B855-D9C1D48746FD_zpsqto553zw.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/70DB93D3-2AF0-49DA-B855-D9C1D48746FD_zpsqto553zw.jpg.html)

Under the bridge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/A43FA4F8-5949-4B7D-93AD-3759FAFAF5C1_zpsvbgu98l5.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/A43FA4F8-5949-4B7D-93AD-3759FAFAF5C1_zpsvbgu98l5.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/2C786840-EFC6-4F2D-A213-FE63BCBB0B04_zpsgbceyc6w.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/2C786840-EFC6-4F2D-A213-FE63BCBB0B04_zpsgbceyc6w.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/6E3498C1-5E8B-4E25-BE4F-3AE80B9AC42F_zps6eqcqkn8.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/6E3498C1-5E8B-4E25-BE4F-3AE80B9AC42F_zps6eqcqkn8.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/C52C97CB-7E47-447C-8EB3-CAC3BBEB4B2F_zpstuwfup7f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/C52C97CB-7E47-447C-8EB3-CAC3BBEB4B2F_zpstuwfup7f.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/8BF0E5F7-4EDD-4A0F-9886-B01F2FAE3333_zpsovuspyk9.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/8BF0E5F7-4EDD-4A0F-9886-B01F2FAE3333_zpsovuspyk9.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/1000DF9C-824E-429E-915D-72903C48C4AB_zps7vq9pjib.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/1000DF9C-824E-429E-915D-72903C48C4AB_zps7vq9pjib.jpg.html)

^^^
Welcome to the muddy banks of the Wishkah.....I was seriously taken back by this experience and had to fight back tears since I never even once thought I would ever step foot here. Like the sign says a few photos up, this was the bridge that Kurt would frequent as a teen and write poems/thoughts/scribble drawings that some would later go on to become Nirvana related. If you ever find yourself in Washington, please take the time to drive down here. It's about an 2 hours south of Seattle. The only thing I can't stress enough is to keep to yourself and don't talk to the locals in the neighborhood. I managed to speak to a local Nirvana fan who told me that the people in the neighborhood around Kurt's house and the park are mostly druggies who try their hardest to take advantage of fans when they come by (ie. aggressively ask for $$$).

Sutekh
01-27-2015, 04:46 AM
Interesting stuff! I had no idea they made such a big deal out of it. Makes you realise how much a part of the establishment all the stuff from that era is now (I mean that in a good way)

Jinsai
01-27-2015, 05:40 AM
Nirvana was one of the first rock groups I liked, but that's a terrible way to memorialize them, in a generally horrific way. Fuck that. That's the most tone-deaf memorialization I've ever seen.

Are we saying this is a good thing?! Please tell me I'm misunderstanding.

PS/EDIT: I'm not saying anything about you or your friend from Japan... just, is this park a real thing?

NotoriousTIMP
01-27-2015, 05:41 AM
These memorials were done by fans with permission from the city, how is that a bad thing?

You truly have a bleak outlook on everything, don't you?

Jinsai
01-27-2015, 05:45 AM
These memorials were done by fans with permission from the city, how is that a bad thing?

You truly have a bleak outlook on everything, don't you?

No, I have a bleak outlook on misappropriations of people's sentiments in the name of casual gestures along the lines of "yay, I'm being a cultural momentary thing"

WorzelG
01-27-2015, 05:55 AM
One of the quotes on that memorial thing "I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not' - is that some kind of irony? People appropriating him and pretending they knew him, it's actually quite disturbing, particularly when the ridiculous levels of fame possibly contributed to him killing himself. Imagine how stifling that level of impossible love / adoration was? How could he possibly have lived up to it?

NotoriousTIMP
01-27-2015, 09:49 PM
One of the quotes on that memorial thing "I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not' - is that some kind of irony? People appropriating him and pretending they knew him, it's actually quite disturbing, particularly when the ridiculous levels of fame possibly contributed to him killing himself. Imagine how stifling that level of impossible love / adoration was? How could he possibly have lived up to it?

And the rest of Hollywood and the music industry are not in the same boat? Jesus Christ guys, I was sharing an experience that I personally felt was moving and you both came in to shit on my parade.

mfte
01-27-2015, 10:52 PM
And the rest of Hollywood and the music industry are not in the same boat? Jesus Christ guys, I was sharing an experience that I personally felt was moving and you both came in to shit on my parade.

I thought it was nice.

WorzelG
01-28-2015, 01:47 AM
Yeah, sorry, that was uncalled for

Jinsai
01-28-2015, 02:57 AM
I thought it was nice.

Some people thought it was nice.

Jinsai
01-28-2015, 03:18 AM

I don't want to shit on your parade. I don't want to interrupt your happiness in any way.

I was offering an opinion on the park, and the nature of the way they were representing the legacy of Kurt Cobain. I'm not the keeper of his legacy. I just didn't like it, so I said so.

I'm glad you guys had fun, and I didn't want or intend to piss in your cheerios. I earnestly apologize for being overly aggressive in any way about this. I just don't think any of the represented gestures of what Kurt "was about" in that park really sum it up in a way that means anything either. It's all just lame noise, and it plays into something that matters to me.

mfte
01-28-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm glad you guys had fun, and I didn't want or intend to piss in your cheerios. I earnestly apologize for being overly aggressive in any way about this. I just don't think any of the represented gestures of what Kurt "was about" in that park really sum it up in a way that means anything either. It's all just lame noise, and it plays into something that matters to me.

You mean to tell me that you thought the Kurt Air Guitar "statue" didn't impress you?

Something like Kurt's Gun Store would have been more apt I think.

Jinsai
01-28-2015, 07:35 PM
You mean to tell me that you thought the Kurt Air Guitar "statue" didn't impress you?

That really bummed me out... right up there with the boardwalk dollar-sketch portrait and the lyrics from Something in the Way, including "yeah ah mmmmmmm."

Also, if you're going to reduce Kurt Cobain to an inspiration dorm poster, let's go for the weightier stuff. "Don't take drugs, they will **** you up" and "I'd rather be hated for who I am than be something I'm not" aren't cutting it for me. How about "I have a request for our fans. If you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us - leave us the fuck alone! Don't come to our shows and don't buy our records." When Nirvana blew up, they took over the mainstream audience of a genre previously dominated by macho bro bullshit, homophobia, and misogyny. To print that in your liner notes at the time was a huge "fuck you" to the people who needed to be told to fuck off. Maybe it's predictable and even passé now, but back then it was part of what set Nirvana apart and made Kurt an important voice outside of the music. That was a big part of who Kurt Cobain was though. He was cynical, harsh, and openly critical of stupid bullshit.

The problem here is the quotes are grouped together in a way that makes the band's music seem like they had more in common with Gordon Lightfoot and Depak Chopra than Sonic Youth. By looking at this "art" you'd think Cobain didn't make pissed-off sounding music. This entirely sidesteps the aggression, anger, and sadness, and goes straight for the hippy motivational-speaker side of Kurt.

It's like those John Lennon posters, with the self portrait and a quote from Imagine like "Imagine all the people living for today." Yeah, there's John Lennon in a box. Lets frame it and put it next to a sculpture of a giant hand making a peace sign.

It's about as deep as Fred Durst's tattoo. It's the version of Kurt Cobain that was used to market Doc Martins. It's the likeness featured in Guitar Hero 5.

Sutekh
01-28-2015, 08:05 PM
I agree Jinsai, it's corny. But also I think it's kind of awesome that someone like kurt has corny freshman bob marley poster type things made of him... IMO he's in a pantheon that includes sonic youth, butthole surfers, big black etc and I still find it hilarious and heartening that the mainstream loves somebody that weird - clumsy crass tributes and all

Nirvana punking an unruly buenos aires audience - apparently kurt took their abuse of the opening act as sexist, and as such this is a proper bizarre set full of windups. I believe it's the only airing that the opening track ever got. This is a pro shot video, and it's good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG3J-LHKzAo

somethingelse
01-28-2015, 09:51 PM
That was very sweet of you, (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/17-NotoriousTIMP)@NotoriousTIMP. I bet your friend would have really enjoyed the experience. I would love to get the opportunity to visit that area of the U.S. some day, it's on my list.
Nirvana will always have that special place in my heart, in all of our hearts. Personally, I carry a photo of Kurt in my wallet. Was he a loved one, no. Did I even know him, no, but that is my way of remembrance. It's easy to feel protective over something that means so much.

richardp
01-28-2015, 11:55 PM
That Buenos Ares set is fantastic. I legit LOL'd anytime they kicked into Teen Spirit only to immediately derail it.

Arcspiral
03-20-2015, 11:25 AM
I finally picked up the In Utero 2013 mix on vinyl. Holy shit, it's incredible. There are so many different little subtle nuances that I haven't picked up on in the 20 some odd years I've been listening to the album. Really interesting to hear what In Utero was *supposed* to sound like.

SarahConnor
03-20-2015, 11:36 AM
I didn't realize Aberdeen was filled with so much Cobain kitsch. Thanks for the photos!

mfte
05-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Speaking of the divide of public opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=357&v=tpRMUT0-mPA

MicheaelElizabeth
05-03-2015, 12:21 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/02/kurt-cobain-album_n_7195962.html

It sounds like Morgen is compiling the best unheard demos and noodlings. I'm ecstatic about this.

armogi
05-03-2015, 12:39 AM
yeah, i'm a little scared about this actually, sounds like they will release a bunch of boombox acoustic unfinished demos or covers, similar to some of the stuff on WTO, not quite sure it is necessary but I hope I'm wrong, I would love to hear some reel new music from him but I am not sure it exists really at this point.

richardp
05-05-2015, 12:24 AM
What'd everyone think of Montage Of Heck? I felt like the immensely long wait for a form of documentation about Kurt Cobain that was as perfect & beautiful as Montage Of Heck was beyond worth it. Being only a year away from the age that Kurt was when he died, it was fascinating to see how the first Idol I ever had lived his life, compared to my own. What he accomplished; what I haven't, and Vice Versa. You grow up and aspire to live like your idols, and seeing that in a different perspective is wild.

armogi
05-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I was actually a little disappointed myself, I guess I had too high hopes for it and it didn't live up to that. The first half was ok, I did enjoy the insight into his youth and art, and some of it is in the journals. It was a shame though, the movie kept flashing a lot of notes and scraps so fast it was impossible to really look at things, but then again his art should probably not be looked at through a movie, these are papers and sketches so we'll have to wait for inevitable kurt cobain touring expo sometime in the future. The animations were nice, it was a smart way to bring to life his motionless art. The songs were carefully chosen too and they help glue the story.

But based on the reviews they apparently had access to such a wealth of material and for me the end result feels light in that regard, it gets quite uneventfull especially when courtney comes into the picture, these home movies were somewhat cute but they didnt achieve anything really, except flashing love's boobs, did we really need to see that? and her interviews were just horrendus, she just looks like a mess, as she always has, rehashing the same old BS we've read and heard before, the junkies' story. And the story about the "retarded girl", did they really have to include that??? This was really not flattering, it was nice to have him tell the story but to me the story didn't really need to be told.

And the music... ok, we got a few more demos, some are probably on WTLO, Live at Reading... again, with such a supposedly wealth of material, why not include more gems???

I don't know, since this was done with the approval of so and so, I had high hopes, I guess I should just stick to the music, it's all about the music anyways. Let's see the soundtrack now, it will probably be sliver 2, the best of the best of the box we released 10 years ago.

Tums206_BFY
05-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Yeah I liked it thought it was very well done and it really was a montage of things in the form of writing, art, video and music that occurred in the life of Kurt Cobain. I wonder how much footage was not used and how much was taken away from the final cut of the film that would be really interesting to know. Liked it overall, I don't think there was too much in there that was shocking and revealing and some footage they used has been around for a while but the home video stuff was pretty cool to see and the recreations were well done. Definitely worth watching!

BRoswell
05-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Montage Of Heck was excellent, but god, it was so unnerving to watch. There's this uneasy tension to the whole thing, even though you know the outcome. Great documentary, but I'm not sure I can ever watch it again.

And the story about the "retarded girl", did they really have to include that??? This was really not flattering...

It's not supposed to be flattering. Kurt wasn't a saint, and I think the documentary goes a long way towards showing that. It may not put him in a good light, but it's honest.

aggroculture
06-29-2015, 09:40 PM
This record is some powerful shit: haunting, eerie, and beautiful. Shows what an amazing songwriter Kurt was - from a different angle.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ru0ymzZXL.jpg
I think they played some in Montage of Heck - which I got halfway through.

koz-ivan
06-30-2015, 09:04 AM
i thought the montage documentary was a fairly successful piece, there wasn't a whole lot of brand new info that would really surprise fans who remember most of that stuff happening, otoh it's a great intro (compilation of info) into kurt / nirvana for someone who is only recently picking up the band, or who will discover nirvana in the future.

GulDukat
06-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Time to give Nevermind another listen. Because of all the discussions around their legacy, movies, books, etc., it's easy to overlook one key point, that album is fucking awesome.

allegro
06-30-2015, 11:27 AM
And the story about the "retarded girl", did they really have to include that???
The Melvins' Buzz Ozborne says that story, and 90% of the movie, is bullshit (http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/buzz-osborne-the-melvins-talks/).

I got to see Kurt in creepy home movies, and Courtney nude, which, for me, was akin to staring into the sun.

LOL LOL LOL

God bless Buzz Osborne.

From Dear Guitar Hero (http://www.guitarworld.com/dear-guitar-hero-buzz-osborne-melvins-discusses-aluminum-guitars-tools-adam-jones-and-growing-kurt-cobain):

I’ve heard stories that Kurt Cobain used to roadie for the Melvins when you were first starting out in Washington. Is that true, and when did you first meet Kurt? — Miles Hunter Ray

I knew Kurt since he was in little league. We lived in a very small town and we went to school together, even though he was a few years younger than me. What originally attracted me to him was his dark sense of humor. We were kindred spirits. We’d sit in art class and he’d draw perfect representations of the art teacher being killed. We’d laugh our asses off. People don’t really understand that he was a funny motherfucker. He was not just some down, dour drug addict. Nobody laughed more than Kurt, and we had great times together.

I always think it’s funny that people say he roadied for us. Look at him! He couldn’t lift himself out of bed. You think he could roadie for someone? But we all hung out a lot. [Nirvana bassist] Krist Novoselic drove for us for a while. But roadie? We didn’t have a roadie. I didn’t even know what a roadie was until 1990. In order to hire someone to roadie you have to be making money. The first time we made money was in 1988, and that was $200. If we would go to Seattle and play a show and make $160, maybe we’d all go buy everyone a burrito. That’s it. There was no money.

And people also say Kurt tried out for the Melvins. Yeah, right. I’ve never had tryouts for this band, ever. I can’t imagine doing that. We all jammed and played together back then. It was hopeless and stupid and horrific and mind numbing. There are happy memories, but in the end it’s a tragedy. I can’t rewrite history in such a way that makes me feel good about it. Honestly, I wish Kurt would have never become famous and was still alive. I don’t give a fucking shit about any of that [success]. If that hastened his death, it’s the worst thing that could have happened.

neorev
07-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Forget Montage Of Heck...

This documentary film fucking blew my mind...
http://soakedinbleachthemovie.com/

Available on demand for only $6
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/soakedinbleach/127608901

But holy shit!
The facts, evidence, and recordings tell a whole other story.

armogi
08-03-2015, 06:41 PM
looks like the internet has given us a pretty present today, 14 demos have leaked today, some good raw stuff too. Nothing new or groundbreaking but damn it's good to have anything new from the mighty nirvana.

Conan The Barbarian
08-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Hints to where I can find them?

fortysixand2
08-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Hints to where I can find them?
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/14-unreleased-nirvana-demos-surface-online-listen/

armogi
08-04-2015, 11:42 AM
more stuff is coming out, it is apparently linked to a youtube user, he uploaded 4 more demos + the complete fecal matter it seems, it's now approx. 1 hour!!!

there is a torrent going on kat with the 14 tracks too, not sure if any of these have been leaked before, this is pretty cool anyhow.

Conan The Barbarian
08-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Is it the same user?

armogi
08-04-2015, 01:03 PM
there are 2 users, the first batch of 14 from one and then the new stuff from another.
Damn that fecal matter tape is surreal!!!! i can't believe it has surfaced, this is huge.

neorev
08-04-2015, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXlMwWTOYs

MicheaelElizabeth
08-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know what all has been leaked? The videos have been taken down.

neorev
08-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know what all has been leaked? The videos have been taken down.

the link @fortysixand2 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=722) posted tells you everything, which tracks leaked.

and here...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nirvana/comments/3fl1c6/here_are_all_the_recently_surfaced_nirvana_songs/

links in the comments to download in MP3 & FLAC

MicheaelElizabeth
08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
the link @fortysixand2 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=722) posted tells you everything, which tracks leaked.

and here...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nirvana/comments/3fl1c6/here_are_all_the_recently_surfaced_nirvana_songs/

links in the comments to download in MP3 & FLACThanks so much.

MicheaelElizabeth
08-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Here's everything that has leaked, according to Reddit.

20 Songs + Complete Fecal Matter Demo
https://www.sendspace.com/file/9k33qw

Soundboard recording of 07/03/92 Madrid
http://we.tl/yRvSKy6l1a

armogi
08-05-2015, 12:07 AM
The flac are on zomb too, it may be the original source even. The madrid sbd was leaked in the reddit comments it seems, it showed up on youtube later. Its almost like a terrorist action, lets leak some nirvana all over the net, bits by bits!

laci
09-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Listened to the 2013 re-mix of In Utero today again. I kinda like it, but I really hated it when it came out 2 years ago.

richardp
10-07-2015, 10:52 AM
http://cdn.pitchfork.com/news/61473/62982a97.JPG

01 The Yodel Song
02 Been a Son (Early Demo)
03 What More Can I Say
04 1988 Capitol Lake Jam Commercial
05 The Happy Guitar
06 Montage of Kurt
07 Beans
08 Burn the Rain
09 Clean Up Before She Comes (Early Demo)
10 Reverb Experiment
11 Montage of Kurt II
12 Rehash
13 You Can’t Change Me/Burn My Britches/Something in the Way (Early Demo)
14 Scoff (Early Demo)
15 Aberdeen
16 Bright Smile
17 Underground Celebritism
18 Retreat
19 Desire
20 And I Love Her
21 Sea Monkeys
22 Sappy (Early Demo)
23 Letters to Frances
24 Scream
25 Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle (Demo)
26 Kurt Ambiance
27 She Only Lies
28 Kurt Audio Collage
29 Poison's Gone
30 Rhesus Monkey
31 Do Re Mi (Medley)

armogi
10-07-2015, 02:35 PM
http://cdn.pitchfork.com/news/61473/62982a97.JPG

01 The Yodel Song
02 Been a Son (Early Demo)
03 What More Can I Say
04 1988 Capitol Lake Jam Commercial
05 The Happy Guitar
06 Montage of Kurt
07 Beans
08 Burn the Rain
09 Clean Up Before She Comes (Early Demo)
10 Reverb Experiment
11 Montage of Kurt II
12 Rehash
13 You Can’t Change Me/Burn My Britches/Something in the Way (Early Demo)
14 Scoff (Early Demo)
15 Aberdeen
16 Bright Smile
17 Underground Celebritism
18 Retreat
19 Desire
20 And I Love Her
21 Sea Monkeys
22 Sappy (Early Demo)
23 Letters to Frances
24 Scream
25 Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle (Demo)
26 Kurt Ambiance
27 She Only Lies
28 Kurt Audio Collage
29 Poison's Gone
30 Rhesus Monkey
31 Do Re Mi (Medley)

i wonder how many of these will really be new and not already available in some bootleg form.

BRoswell
10-07-2015, 04:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si7Kdxf8CkA

richardp
10-07-2015, 11:53 PM
i wonder how many of these will really be new and not already available in some bootleg form.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all. It seems like the director went out of his way to really dig through everything and find great obscure stuff. Plus a lot of this is also apparently spoken word, comedy bits, and other random things. It's not all music.

BRoswell
10-08-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty sure most, if not all. It seems like the director went out of his way to really dig through everything and find great obscure stuff. Plus a lot of this is also apparently spoken word, comedy bits, and other random things. It's not all music.

"Beans" and "Clean Up Before She Comes" were both on "With The Lights Out".

Prettybrokenspiral
10-08-2015, 08:26 PM
This whole MOH rollout is fucking ludicrous. An obvious cash-in on the Cobain legacy when the only way to grab the deluxe CD -- which most everyone will want because the vinyl margin is small -- is to pay $150 for a boxset that offers little else worthwhile to the entire experience. A jigsaw puzzle? A bookmark? Whoopty doo

And since it's a collection of song scraps and bedroom demos, it's obviously geared towards the hardcore Nirvana enthusiast. Who, in their right mind, is going to settle for a measly 13-track collection when there's twice as more available elsewhere? Just unbelievable greed here on UMG's part. I'm definitely hoping they're dumb enough to include a download coupon with the vinyl deluxe edition so I can upload this shit to the internetz FREE TO ALL, FUCK YOU.

neorev
10-09-2015, 07:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si7Kdxf8CkA

This was released already as well.

BRoswell
10-09-2015, 11:00 AM
This was released already as well.

Yeah, it was. Totally forgot. This is definitely better quality than what's out there though.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Isn't it ironic how the director guy was bragging about how he was given access to Kurt's archive, and found hundreds of hours of unreleased Cobain recordings, and yet the MOH companion album still contains stuff that has been circulating for well over a decade?

Oh the lolz. I wonder how badly they'll brickwall master these home demos, after the horrendous job they did with the Nevermind boombox demos and the home demos on WTLO. It takes a special kind of money hunger to brickwall master demos made on a boombox, that's for sure.

armogi
10-10-2015, 03:19 PM
I think it is safe to say we should'nt expect much from this release, it's an obvious cash grab of "sounds" that were never meant for the general public and the mastering will most likely be screwed up but somehow I can't wait to hear these, I am still a sucker for anything cobain/nirvana. It's amazing how much he left behind and how much more he could have created. If only Layne Staley had also left as much as Cobain.

MicheaelElizabeth
11-15-2015, 01:23 AM
Now that the new Montage of Heck music is out, what do you nerds think about it?

armogi
11-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Now that the new Montage of Heck music is out, what do you nerds think about it?

Well, there are a few interesting things on there and a lot of filler that probably didnt need to be made public. I am sure there are more "songs" in demo form on those tapes so it could have been more interesting, as far as music goes of course. Then again music was probably not the goal here so it is what it is.

neorev
11-15-2015, 11:47 AM

Pointless, a waste, material that wasn't meant for the public. This is home noodlings, most don't really sound that great. Half the time he's not really even singing for real. As an artists, I'd be pissed of this shit got out and my label was charging people out the ass for it.

And that's coming from a huge, longtime fan.

Also, Montage Of Hack documentary sucked as well... I honestly didn't feel like I learned anything, no new incite into Kurt. Another waste.
You want a good documentary? Watched Soaked In Bleach. That was a great doc and a real eye opener. You'll actually learn something from it.
But this? Record label bullshit raping the band's fans some more along with a pretentious "hack" director and his Montage Of Crap.

Prettybrokenspiral
11-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Pointless, a waste, material that wasn't meant for the public. This is home noodlings, most don't really sound that great. Half the time he's not really even singing for real. As an artists, I'd be pissed of this shit got out and my label was charging people out the ass for it.

And that's coming from a huge, longtime fan.

Also, Montage Of Hack documentary sucked as well... I honestly didn't feel like I learned anything, no new incite into Kurt. Another waste.
You want a good documentary? Watched Soaked In Bleach. That was a great doc and a real eye opener. You'll actually learn something from it.
But this? Record label bullshit raping the band's fans some more along with a pretentious "hack" director and his Montage Of Crap.

This, times ten.

I'll go as far as saying the documentary was worthwhile and added to Cobain's legacy on the merits that it gave access to his personal files. How you feel about that is dependent on the individual.

But this companion album is complete and utter horseshit. I was listening to it on Apple Music yesterday, thinking to myself "what purpose does this serve?". Did I really need home recordings of Kurt farting, burping, mumbling incoherently and recording amplifier feedback? Most of the songs on this thing are just 30-second snippets of unnecessary wank that Cobain is probably rolling over in his grave about, knowing it's out there for the world to hear.

Brett Morgan talked this album up, like he'd found some lost Cobain holy grail. What this is is the holy grail of corporate exploitation. I cannot believe that Frances would allow this project to see the light of day, much less help with its creation. She has completely and utterly failed her father in death with this, if you ask me.

neorev
11-15-2015, 04:08 PM
This, times ten.

I'll go as far as saying the documentary was worthwhile and added to Cobain's legacy on the merits that it gave access to his personal files. How you feel about that is dependent on the individual.

But this companion album is complete and utter horseshit. I was listening to it on Apple Music yesterday, thinking to myself "what purpose does this serve?". Did I really need home recordings of Kurt farting, burping, mumbling incoherently and recording amplifier feedback? Most of the songs on this thing are just 30-second snippets of unnecessary wank that Cobain is probably rolling over in his grave about, knowing it's out there for the world to hear.

Brett Morgan talked this album up, like he'd found some lost Cobain holy grail. What this is is the holy grail of corporate exploitation. I cannot believe that Frances would allow this project to see the light of day, much less help with its creation. She has completely and utterly failed her father in death with this, if you ask me.

Does Frances not really like her father?
Maybe she wants to ruin his legacy with this crap release or she's pissed off at him and figures she can milk his followers some more who think he's a legend.
Kurt's followers seem to have gotten more out of Kurt than Frances got out of him as a father figure.

As for documentary, they just really hyped it up like it's some huge revelation in his life... when it was mostly just cartoons and doodles.
There was nothing new learned from it, nothing I have not already heard about him.

I feel Soaked In Bleach shows a completely other side... most of Kurt's friends said he wasn't depressed at all and that his lyrics were more jokes than serious.
I don't trust Kurt's mother at all, she abandoned Kurt and is now milking his death.
I felt Soaked In Bleach was mind blowing... you'll hear things that make you go "WTF?!?!?"

Prettybrokenspiral
11-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Does Frances not really like her father?
Maybe she wants to ruin his legacy with this crap release or she's pissed off at him and figures she can milk his followers some more who think he's a legend.
Kurt's followers seem to have gotten more out of Kurt than Frances got out of him as a father figure.

Rolling Stone just did a sizeable feature on her earlier this year, about how she's on a crusade to set the record straight about her father's legacy or some-such.

And this is how she honors him...endorsing this complete crap. She is virtually clueless to what her father's legacy entails.

cicada
11-16-2015, 06:02 PM
The doco was OK in parts, if a little bloated, but this album is rubbish. It's not even an album, just notes and experiments, the same kind that millions of muso's would have all over the world.

As a fan, it's vaguely interesting to hear his ideas in a very early form, but that's about it. I cant imagine anyone listening to these more than once. The fact that someone has tried to package these up to make some money from longtime die-hards is pretty shameful.

That said, I think the comments in this thread condemning Frances for her part in this are pretty harsh. This is a kid who is undoubtedly fucked up as a result of absent/inadequate parents and intense media attention, who will probably struggle with her lot for the rest of her life. I don't really lay any blame at her feet for this. Brett Morgen on the other hand is a wanker.

Prettybrokenspiral
11-16-2015, 09:43 PM
The doco was OK in parts, if a little bloated, but this album is rubbish. It's not even an album, just notes and experiments, the same kind that millions of muso's would have all over the world.

As a fan, it's vaguely interesting to hear his ideas in a very early form, but that's about it. I cant imagine anyone listening to these more than once. The fact that someone has tried to package these up to make some money from longtime die-hards is pretty shameful.

That said, I think the comments in this thread condemning Frances for her part in this are pretty harsh. This is a kid who is undoubtedly fucked up as a result of absent/inadequate parents and intense media attention, who will probably struggle with her lot for the rest of her life. I don't really lay any blame at her feet for this. Brett Morgen on the other hand is a wanker.

She authorised the entire project. Pretty much gave Morgan free reign to her father's archives. She knew exactly what she was doing.

Frances is no dummy. She's actually quite smart, when you get right down to it. Having Courtney for a mother can't be easy but Courtney has had little, if any, influence on Frances in her adult life. She specifically says in that Rolling Stone article how she's tired of seeing her father's legacy get exploited and misunderstood. Then she turns around and authorises dreck like this.

She could have easily seen what Morgan was assembling here for what it was, and vetoed it. Instead, you can get a deluxe MOH package that has nothing to vouch for its exorbitant, commerce-hungry price tag.

Believe me, I've done some homework on this. I wouldn't just bash Frances for this if it wasn't clear as day she is completely mismanaging what she set out to avenge in the first place.

allegro
11-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Courtney spent a lot of the money before she was finally cut loose, and now Franny needs to replenish her own funds? I don't think any of this has to do with "Kurt's legacy."

Prettybrokenspiral
11-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Courtney spent a lot of the money before she was finally cut loose, and now Franny needs to replenish her own funds? I don't think any of this has to do with "Kurt's legacy."

Read the Rolling Stone article from earlier this year. She clearly states that she wants to restore integrity to Kurt's legacy.

Kurt would have NEVER authorised this type of BS. His bedroom cassette tape experiments being packaged in needless bundles and sold for $100+?

If Frances didn't want Kurt's fans to completely misinterpret her intentions -- in the very slim chance that's what this is -- then she should have said "I really want to restore integrity to my father's legacy, just as soon as I make a fast buck off these bedroom scraps we have coming out later this year..."

allegro
11-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Read the Rolling Stone article from earlier this year. She clearly states that she wants to restore integrity to Kurt's legacy
Yes, and she was lying. That documentary and this release do neither, and only bring cash to her and more attention to her mother.

Kurt's legacy was not lacking in "integrity." Courtney's, however (if any), is another story ...

Prettybrokenspiral
11-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Yes, and she was lying. That documentary and this release do neither, and only bring cash to her and more attention to her mother.

I wasn't trying to get shitty with you or anything. I just think she did her father a huge disservice with this whole thing, authorising it and such, when only months ago she was speaking out against this very kind of thing. I think a lot of fans had hope that after her mother gutted Kurt's name with the release of his journals, the trashing of his bandmates, the whole Greatest Hits lawsuit, etc., Frances was going to be the one to carry Kurt's torch in a more credible light.

In the months leading up to this collection's release, I think people had a lot of faith in the whole thing, especially Morgan talking up all the stuff he found. And then when the tracklisting leaked and people saw it was stuff that had already been released more than a decade ago and 30-second bullshit snippets of Kurt going to the bathroom or tuning his guitar, people's hearts sank. And once it was revealed that you could only get the deluxe CD in that ridiculous boxset that isn't worth even $50, that was the final straw.

It's fine if people want this kind of thing, but it's clearly (and shamelessly) exploiting his legacy, and few are fooled.

perceptionnexus
11-16-2015, 10:58 PM
I tend to agree with the argument that this whole montage of heck project was kinda bullshit.

I watched soaked in bleach last night and, though it didn't really provide anything new in terms of facts surrounding his death, it made me really sad to think about brilliant his next record likely would have been, whether it was with nirvana or not. After the unplugged album, and the few post- in utero songs, I think the guy was just on the verge of writing an absolute masterpiece. I like to think the 4th nirvana LP would have been like their white album.

allegro
11-16-2015, 11:04 PM
I wasn't trying to get shitty with you or anything. I just think she did her father a huge disservice with this whole thing, authorising it and such, when only months ago she was speaking out against this very kind of thing. I think a lot of fans had hope that after her mother gutted Kurt's name with the release of his journals, the trashing of his bandmates, the whole Greatest Hits lawsuit, etc., Frances was going to be the one to carry Kurt's torch in a more credible light.

In the months leading up to this collection's release, I think people had a lot of faith in the whole thing, especially Morgan talking up all the stuff he found. And then when the tracklisting leaked and people saw it was stuff that had already been released more than a decade ago and 30-second bullshit snippets of Kurt going to the bathroom or tuning his guitar, people's hearts sank. And once it was revealed that you could only get the deluxe CD in that ridiculous boxset that isn't worth even $50, that was the final straw.

It's fine if people want this kind of thing, but it's clearly (and shamelessly) exploiting his legacy, and few are fooled.

I bought the Journal when it came out, read the whole thing, found it fascinating, I believe it's OBVIOUS that Kurt INTENDED for that stuff to be read and that he WANTED to be famous for all that shit and the kind of insight into his brillance, EGO and opinions, and none of that shit was "personal," it wasn't "dear diary" crap, it was "business plans," album cover designs, endless lists of his favorite bands and who he thought sucked or was underappreciated, etc.

Meanwhile, his MOM on some documentary telling me that Kurt was hyper and had to be put on drugs, etc. is not protecting any "legacy" except maybe everybody is trying to explain why he killed himself but nobody but Kurt knows that, and the Director leaves it like it's Courtney's threatening a ... dun dun DUN ... affair that tortured him so much, when MAYBE he couldn't get away from her so he realized a bullet in his head was better than living with her, meanwhile somehow Franny has (cough) enhanced his "legacy?" All the way to the BANK, baby!!

And the people who think that maybe Kurt killed himself so that he could never be mediocre, and could die before he flamed out like a desperate Michael Jackson trying to make another "Thriller," and that maybe Kurt knew that the next album might not ever top the last 2 albums, which is entirely possible, might be right, and combine that pressure with the crazy wife who wants a new Mercedes, and the drug addiction ... yeah, they should have just left the existing material from 1996.

Prettybrokenspiral
11-17-2015, 02:09 AM
I generally agree. As the years have gone on, the releases have gotten increasingly suspect

Unplugged in New York: Brilliant. A haunting, poignant last will and testament from a young artist who died far too young.

Muddy Banks of the Wishkah: Not bad. Would have been nice to have one complete show instead of a smattering of live performances from through the years, but still a good live document of Nirvana at the time.

Greatest Hits (Nirvana): Not really necessary, but I can understand the platform for Kurt's final song being unveiled. Anyone who bought this already had the other songs on their respective albums long ago. This was a compromise between Courtney, Dave and Krist.

Journals: Ghoulish and unnecessary, but entertaining as well. I'm not going to lie and say I don't own a copy of this. Like you said, nothing too revealing about his personal life. But this is definitely the point where it became obvious Kurt and Nirvana were now a brand being exploited for profit.

With The Lights Out boxset: I hold this one in high praise because it had a lot of worthwhile stuff on it and fans had been clambering for this kind of thing since the moment Kurt died. It was band endorsed and many of the recordings were of a much higher quality than the bootlegs that had already been circulating for years. A holy grail for Nirvana fans, no question.

Sliver - The Best of the Box: Okay...seriously?

Live at Reading: It's hard to argue with this release; it was a historic concert for the band and is legendary amongst their fans. Whoever created this package did a really nice job, too. I'd been listening to this on bootleg for years prior, so hearing it so loud and crisp came as a bit of a shock, but not in a bad way. Plus, this came out in that glorious November of 2009 when Live at Reading, The Foo's Greatest Hits and Them Crooked Vultures' debut all landed at the same time. Grunge was alive and well again.

Icon (Greatest Hits): *facepalm*

Nevermind 20th Anniversary remaster: Inevitable. No hardcore Nirvana fan was going to turn this away. Brickwall Bob Ludwig did his usual horrific remastering job -- managing to distort and clip fucking boombox cassette demos included with this set. Even seasonsinthesky can't defend this one. But overall, a beautiful package. Plus, the "Live at Paramount" DVD that was long-sought was finally released as well.

In Utero 20th Anniversary remaster: Inevitable. The Albini mixes are inconsequential because only a true fanatic is going to be able to discern the differences in the mix, but whatever. It also had the complete "Live and Loud" show, at last.

Montage of Heck: Again, the documentary-collage thing was interesting and has its place in Cobain legacy. But the accompanying album signifies the nadir in exploiting the guy's name. Read the reviews online and people are appalled by this barrel-scraping. What more can there possibly be, save for whatever obligatory live releases are out there? Maybe release the band's final concert or final filmed performance for the 25th anniversary of his death, but other than that, leave it be already.

cicada
11-17-2015, 09:36 PM
I generally agree. As the years have gone on, the releases have gotten increasingly suspect

This is kinda obvious when you think about it, anything worthwhile has already been unearthed and released long ago. The further we go on, the less valid material there is for the bottom feeders to attempt to monetize. Same phenomenon can be see with Tupac and Biggie Smalls. That said, MoH soundtrack is one of the worst posthumous releases I've ever come across. EVER.

On Frances, I'm not denying she made a terrible decision in authorising the release of MoH. I just think it's a bit unrealistic to expect someone with her upbringing to be some great champion of artistic integrity. She's surely gotta have some sizable chips on those shoulders.

allegro
11-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Or, she simply needs more money because Mom ran through a lot of the cash and it does not appear that Franny has any lucrative career plans of her own (she is a "visual artist") and she did not exactly marry a stock broker. She is what we call a "TFB" in the legal biz: Trust Fund Baby. They often never have money-making jobs of their own.

Look, Franny's Dad left her when she was 2 by killing himself and her Mom has issues but let us not forget that Franny gave guardianship to her Dad's family before she turned 18 (now expired), it isn't like she was an orphan; as a child of a single parent, I resent the implication that she is somehow doomed to a life of failure for that fact; if anything, her life of priviledge is even worse.

She was Executive Producer of the HBO documentary which means SHE PAID FOR IT.

cicada
11-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Yeah that too. In either case, I can't really feel disappointed or mad with her. Dealt a fairly shit hand IMO

allegro
11-17-2015, 10:11 PM
I don't agree. I think she is doing fairly well, an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, a career she wants, no worries about money, a Trust Fund, a new husband who appears to be a kindred spirit, she has decision-making abilities re her Dad's part of Nirvana, etc. More than a lot of what YOU people have. A lot of people in the U.S. have living Dads who might as well be dead, and she has way more than them.

I have a living Dad who has never once remembered my birthday or sent me a card (like Kurt's Dad). He is not on the cover of Rolling Stone, nobody gives a shit about him, and I don't have a Trust Fund. Boo hoo.

If she makes decisions to sell things re Kurt, PT Barnum comes to mind (sucker born every minute).

She is not totally at fault. Just like the drug dealer is not totally at fault (they wouldn't exist if there were no junkies).

If she is selling, and you are buying ... that's just Capitalism.

cicada
11-17-2015, 10:20 PM
I note your disagreement. I am also disappointed your old man isn't on the cover of Rolling Stone, that's some bullshit.

allegro
11-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Yeah, he looks just like Elvis when he was blonde, he's disappointed, too. ;)

Prettybrokenspiral
12-19-2015, 11:14 PM
So has anyone watched that Soaked In Bleach documentary?

fishtifer
12-20-2015, 09:08 AM
I watched Soaked In Bleach, it's very good - makes you think it may not have been a suicide.

neorev
12-20-2015, 12:13 PM
So has anyone watched that Soaked In Bleach documentary?

Yes, an amazing doc. My girl was one of those people who thought "You're just a crazy fan for thinking Kurt was murdered." Then she watched that doc with me and it completely changed her point of view. She was like "What the fuck?" after it was finished. It really does show something went down and it's not the typical druggy commits suicide story. More folks need to watch this. There's just too much fucked up stuff surrounding this case.

emptydesk
12-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Utter garbage with the production values of a Dateline episode. Tom Grant has been beating this same dead horse for years and getting nowhere with it.

Notice how they presented edited phone conversations as if they took place in person? That should be a warning sign about the film's journalistic integrity.

Prettybrokenspiral
12-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Yes, an amazing doc. My girl was one of those people who thought "You're just a crazy fan for thinking Kurt was murdered." Then she watched that doc with me and it completely changed her point of view. She was like "What the fuck?" after it was finished. It really does show something went down and it's not the typical druggy commits suicide story. More folks need to watch this. There's just too much fucked up stuff surrounding this case.

Interesting.

I definitely don't buy into the whole "Cobain was murdered" thing, but I've been meaning to check out SIB regardless before I start saying the whole theory is bullshit. I'm going to check it out over the next week or so and see what I think.

armogi
12-21-2015, 12:19 PM
this is a must watch if you have any interest in Cobain, I also don't believe the murder thoery thing but there are several elements that are puzzling in this case and this movie/documentary despites its faults points them out rather well.

henryeatscereal
12-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Gonna check the documentary.

Funny, i was listening "Incesticide" today...

Hazekiah
06-11-2016, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-co0yfZK2co

Hazekiah
07-17-2016, 02:00 AM
Hate to double-post and all...

But the pal who filmed that for me had never heard "I Hate Myself and Want to Die" before that night so I made sure to play it for him. He's a BIG FAN now! Except he just posted a YT fan-made lyric video that was SO FUCKING WRONG I finally had to man up and step in, lol. Because apparently NO ONE ELSE ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET knows how to transcribe lyrics properly.

Or maybe I've just been doing this since the day The Beavis & Butthead Experience CD came out and I watched too many old surfing movies with my dad?

Either way, here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiu5whiUpXg

runny nose and runny yolk
even if you have a cold still
you can cough on me again
I still haven't had my fulfill

ENDLESS SOMEDAY
WHAT'S THAT SOUND?

broken heart and broken bones
think of plaster casts and the horse pills
one more quirky, clichéd phrase
you're the one I wanna refill

ENDLESS SOMEDAY
WHAT'S THAT SOUND?

most people don't realize
that two large pieces of coral painted brown
and attached to his skull ​with common wood screws
can make a child look like a deer

ENDLESS SOMEDAY
WHAT'S THAT SOUND?

runny nose and runny yolk
even if you have a cold still
you can cough on me again
I still haven't had my fulfill

ENDLESS SOMEDAY
WHAT'S THAT SOUND?

Bachy
11-01-2016, 09:18 PM
I finally checked out Soaked In Bleach. No way was that a suicide. At least he sure as hell didn't pull the trigger.

GulDukat
11-02-2016, 06:41 AM
I finally checked out Soaked In Bleach. No way was that a suicide. At least he sure as hell didn't pull the trigger.I'd recommend not watching the History Channel. You'll be convinced that aliens constructed the pyramids.

Bachy
11-02-2016, 01:08 PM
I'd recommend not watching the History Channel. You'll be convinced that aliens constructed the pyramids.

Apples to oranges. Maybe I came on too strong saying I'm absolutely convinced there was foul play involved. Honestly, I just don't see how anyone with that amount of heroin in their blood is operating a shotgun. It seemed clear to me though that there should have at least been more of an investigation into his death.

neorev
11-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Apples to oranges. Maybe I came on too strong saying I'm absolutely convinced there was foul play involved. Honestly, I just don't see how anyone with that amount of heroin in their blood is operating a shotgun. It seemed clear to me though that there should have at least been more of an investigation into his death.

Yes, the police horribly mishandled that case. I'm sorry, but there are still issues with what happened. I still don't believe the entire story. Even the head of police back then is saying it was handled poorly and should be independently reopened and reviewed. I think there was much more going on. The official story does not add up when you look at the whole picture. The suicide note itself is the biggest red flag. But sadly people have a way of dismissing people who are drug addicts.

Sutekh
11-22-2016, 07:51 AM
He had a sky high tolerance... if we accept tolerance exists then the idea he had too much in him to function totally falls apart.

As for the weird aspects of the investigation... call me cynical but cops going slapdash with the suicide of a junkie doesn't strike me as suspicious

I feel distasteful and uninformed commenting on the personal relationships of people I don't know, but I can't imagine Courtney making anyone's state of mind any better, especially when she was younger

Just doesn't seem fishy to me, and at the end of the day why would the cops cover up for her

allegro
11-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Exactly. Considering that CL and KC had once (temporarily) lost custody of their child due to heroin use ("Vanity Fair" incident), and the cops were LOOKING for KC because KC's Mom had filed a missing person report because he was suicidal and missing, there was a "history" there and the PD had no reason to dismiss a case if they even a tiny hint of foul play or a simple accidental overdose being covered up, etc. But with heroin, tolerance builds up and you eventually require a HELL of a lot of drugs. KC was ODing all the time, CL used to carry Narcan injections in her purse. NONE of us were all that shocked by this (not after Rome with KC in a coma); the suicide note wasn't fishy to us at all, it sounded exactly like KC. He was a complicated dude. When you consider how much trouble he went through in Rome (individually breaking into a SHITLOAD of blister packets), he found the easier and quicker way in Seattle. All the shit people are seeing now is conspiracy theory crap, courtesy of people trying to make money off of it.

See this article from back then (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kurt-cobains-downward-spiral-the-last-days-of-nirvanas-leader-19940602).

allegro
02-21-2017, 12:39 AM
Kurt would have turned 50 yesterday, Feb 20.

elevenism
02-21-2017, 01:01 AM
Kurt would have turned 50 yesterday, Feb 20.

There was a great "rare last interview" with him on the watchmojo.com YouTube channel. I will find a link.
Speaking of not being surprised when he died: I was SO sure he was dead in Rome that i convinced my middle school principal to announce it over the loudspeaker, that he was dead in Rome. I also remember watching the MTV unplugged when it aired and my best friend at the time saying "oh my God! This is a swan song! This is a suicide note!"

regarding the conspiracy theory, i was so sickened by that Kurt and Courtney doc. There wasn't a shred of evidence and I refused to watch anything by that filmmaker ever again.
As for the 'too much heroin to operate a shotgun bullshit, " as a longtime opiate addict and ex heroin addict, i can tell you first hand that, with the right tolerance, you can do all kinds of shit on ridiculous amounts of opiates. Fentanyl is the strongest opiate and is most commonly available in the form of a transdermal patch that is worn for 72 hours. The 100 microgram per hour patch is the strongest available.this stuff is many times stronger than heroin. It's most often prescribed for terminal cancer.
I used two cut a couple of them open and put all the gel into my MOUTH. Taken in that way, that amount of dope could kill twenty low tolerance people at least. As for me, i liked to do that and then drive around town.

But there is one thing that creeped me out about Soaked in Bleach: the last few lines of the suicide note look like they were added later, and Courtney's handwriting practice sheet. I've tried so hard to push it out of my mind. I REALLY don't want Kurdt to have been murdered.

Also, while I'm at it, Montage of Heck (the movie) was fucking awesome. Kurt intended for his journals to be read and they make for a fascinating read. And Kurt rolled over in his grave when the absurdly expensive In Utero edition was released. unnecessarily remastered tracks that were GODDAMN sure not better than the original, the album, and a concert we already had, for like $100 or some shit, right? THAT shit is what made Kurt roll over in his grave.

Disassociative
02-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Probably the first rock band I got into. Will always hold a special place in my heart and sometimes I wonder what could have been if Kurt didn't end up in such a dark place.

allegro
02-21-2017, 11:23 AM
elevenism, the suicide note has been examined by document experts who believe that all of it is in Kurt's handwriting and that all but the last few lines (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/96/e9/44/96e9446c52e5555d021f3072601de13d.jpg) (note "for" circled in the above and lower sections in that photo to indicate that the handwriting is the same) were carefully written in advance and the last portions were written at the scene while Kurt was high on Valium and heroin; the note was found in a planter in the greenhouse with a pen stuck through it (http://images.gawker.com/xgfsb3knfh35t7dpdrlg/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg), affixing it to the dirt in the planter. The date of death was determined to be 3 days before Kurt was found, when Courtney was in a rehab facility. The photos of the scene released a few years ago show Kurt's left arm (http://cbsnews3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/04/04/abcb328d-164c-4440-8328-c2040daaa74b/resize/620x465/e0b039ffe1ba899f9f51915f9ab25f5e/cobainnew1.jpg) with the hospital ID tag still on his wrist from the rehab facility where he had been before he left by climbing a six-foot wall. The electrician who found Kurt's body said at first he thought Kurt was sleeping until he saw a little blood coming from Kurt's ear and the shotgun resting below his chin; experts have indicated that the lack of copious blood at the scene is not unusual when a suicide victim puts the gun into his/her mouth.

He'd be rolling over in his ashes since his ashes were scattered in several locations including McClane Creek.

elevenism
02-22-2017, 11:28 AM
allegro have you read Heavier Than Heaven (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072LWQ6Q/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1)?
The ending gets kind of speculative which prompted more murder conspiracy bullshit (there are details that no one could have possibly had but Kurt) but despite this poor decision on the part of the writer, it's an amazing read and is the best and most complete KC biography available.
It pretty much suggests that Kurt was "interventioned to death." He just wanted to keep doing dope and playing music and that wasn't okay with his family and friends, and the prospect of getting clean horrified him, but they kept holding interventions and would not let him be.
It makes sense, and viewing everything in this light makes his story the ultimate example of what can happen when people are pushed to get sober when they aren't ready.
There are reasons for sayings like "attraction not promotion" and "it takes what it takes," and the notion of "wanting what we (recovered people) have and being willing to go to any length to get it" is a prerequisite for 12 step recovery for a reason.

At any rate, i think you would LOVE the book if you've not read it.

mfte
07-05-2017, 09:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaqWMsuu2I

tony_crisp
07-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Kurt Cobain is okay if you like pop music i guess.

thevoid99
07-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Kurt Cobain is okay if you like pop music i guess.

You got a problem with pop music?

armogi
07-06-2017, 10:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaqWMsuu2I

what an awesome video, I laughed so hard when kurt jumped in. And with dale on drums on top of that, not too many of those.
mike ziegler is a godsend for the nirvana community, makes me wonder what his relationship to the nirvana people is/was.

GulDukat
01-07-2018, 05:37 AM
What do you think of this?

https://shareably.co/smells-like-teen-spirt-major-chords/?utm_content=inf_10_4103_2&utm_source=TSE1&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=TSE&tse_id=INF_27ff3d90f33311e78f902fe1e08be610

armogi
01-07-2018, 11:32 AM

https://shareably.co/smells-like-teen-spirt-major-chords/?utm_content=inf_10_4103_2&utm_source=TSE1&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=TSE&tse_id=INF_27ff3d90f33311e78f902fe1e08be610

I am not sure I want to know. This looks like blasphemy indeed.

ghostaustin
01-08-2018, 07:02 AM

I heard someone comparing it to Everclear, and I think that's an accurate assessment.

october_midnight
01-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Rare demo tapes uploaded online. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/01/friend-of-kurt-cobain-uploads-rare-nirvana-demo-tapes-to-youtube-stream/)

armogi
01-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Rare demo tapes uploaded online. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/01/friend-of-kurt-cobain-uploads-rare-nirvana-demo-tapes-to-youtube-stream/)

Nothing new in there apparently, all these were already available and in better quality too.

neorev
02-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Kurt Cobain is turning over in his grave...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-rumHvmqCA

thevoid99
02-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Oh, that is wrong.

tremolo
02-06-2018, 08:53 AM
What the hell, no respect for the man, his art and vision.
What a shame.

Conan The Barbarian
02-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Is it because its in an ad or the lullaby?

tremolo
02-06-2018, 12:38 PM
The ad. It’s cringeworthy.

neorev
02-06-2018, 12:57 PM
They raped his corpse with that Montage Of Heck release. I just felt most of the material on it shouldn't even have been released as it was just Kurt fucking around and not meant for release. A huge money grab. I felt the documentary to be weak as well.

I much rather them re-release Incesticide remastered and in 24 bit hi-res and stop. Honestly, how come Incesticide got no love? We got Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero all remastered and expanded. Can we please get an Incesticide reissue? Aero Zeppelin is one of my favorite Nirvana tracks.

GulDukat
02-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Kurt Cobain is turning over in his grave...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-rumHvmqCAWho gave this the green light? Courtney?

halo eighteen
02-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Who gave this the green light? Courtney?

That's probably an impossible question to answer. I can't even figure out who, if any one entity, owns the publishing rights to the music anymore. A company called Primary Wave Music seemed to be in ownership of 50% as recently as 2013. Courtney infamously said the memory of Cobain was raped when SLTS was used in the Muppets movie in 2011, and she blamed Dave and Krist for signing off on that. Seems like Frances actually has ownership of Cobain's likeness right now, but I'm not sure if that's separate from the music.

http://www.businessinsider.com/courtney-love-lost-27-million-of-nirvana-money-2014-8

That link details Courtney's selling her publishing rights and claiming how she protected it over the years. I guess in a roundabout way, yes she's to blame for selling the rights.

GulDukat
02-06-2018, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't have really cared if they used, say, SLTS, but "All Apologies" was completely, totally inappropriate.

Boots
05-04-2018, 09:54 PM
I was going to start a thread about grunge, but I didn't want to sound like an uninformed idiot. I have been wondering about these things:
Did grunge really die when Kurt Cobain left this earth or did it slowly fade away?
Why is Kurt Cobain called the father of grunge when Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam were more commercially successful?
Is grunge still a musical genre in the present tense as the wikipedia would like us to believe?
If a lot of active bands are still drawing inspiration from the movement, is it possible that grunge never ended?

Dryalex12
05-04-2018, 10:09 PM
The thing about Grunge is it was more of a scene then a genera. Nirvana didn't sound like Pearl Jam who didn't sound like STP, who didn't sound like Soundgarden, who didn't sound like AiC...etc

Imo, Nirvana was mostly a punk band with some hard rock and noise mixed in

Pearl Jam is just straight up classic rock as far as im concerned.

Stp is sorta a post grunge band but it has a lot of jazz, blues and psychedelia influences.

Soundgarden was like, Stoner, Doomy some of the times and the other was more metal influenced and riff heavy with some slight punk edge

AiC started as a glam metal band but quickly changed into this Sludgy, Doom and Gloom metal band but also has no problems busting out a meaningful acoustic song.

tremolo
05-05-2018, 06:59 AM
I was going to start a thread about grunge, but I didn't want to sound like an uninformed idiot. I have been wondering about these things:
Did grunge really die when Kurt Cobain left this earth or did it slowly fade away?
Why is Kurt Cobain called the father of grunge when Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam were more commercially successful?
Is grunge still a musical genre in the present tense as the wikipedia would like us to believe?
If a lot of active bands are still drawing inspiration from the movement, is it possible that grunge never ended?

I see it just the way Dryalex12 put it.

It was more of a scene. Nirvana got and still get a lot of credit because they were the band we could call responsible for the shift in attention to what was going on musically. Before Nevermind, the under scene was already very vibrant, but it didn’t have the mainstream media attention. Then Smells Like Teen Spirit and Nevermind came out and the rest is history.

I don’t listen to the radio or actively look for new bands to listen to. I’m in a point where the new music I listen to is new to me, but was released 10-50something years ago. So I don’t know if there is a scene, but there must be bands somewhere that are heavily influenced by the 90s “grunge bands”.

GulDukat
05-05-2018, 07:22 AM
When I think "grunge" as a style of music (not a scene) I think Tad, Green River, Mudhoney, Nirvana and early Soundgarden.

r_z
05-05-2018, 07:25 AM
I feel like even if those bands didn't sound alike musically, they still shared similar views on the world, art and - not the least - fame. And those views were expressed time and time again during interviews, actions and, of course, their music.

GulDukat
05-17-2018, 04:16 AM
Francis Bean's doofus ex-husband gets to keep Kurt's guitar used from MTV unplugged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/frances-bean-cobain-loses-father-012236654.html

tremolo
05-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Francis Bean's doofus ex-husband gets to keep Kurt's guitar used from MTV unplugged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/frances-bean-cobain-loses-father-012236654.html

Well, that was a very stupid mistake of Frances or Courtney or whoever gave him the fucking guitar in the first place.

What a fucking cunt though... he’s a gold digger, the lowest a man can be.

ickyvicky
05-17-2018, 12:49 PM
That sucks

thevoid99
05-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Ugh..... that is awful.

Sutekh
05-17-2018, 05:12 PM
He'll sell it, it will end up behind glass somewhere

WorzelG
08-24-2018, 11:48 AM
In a recent interview Frances Bean Cobain says she regrets working on Montage of Heck and Kurt Cobains mother calls Brett Morgen ‘that man’ which is a negative expression if I ever heard one. Wonder what the actual deal with that documentary was

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/frances-bean-cobain-i-feel-like-i-have-a-deep-spiritual-understanding-that-most-people-probably-dont-37165902.html

kaydraven
08-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Oh wow....Yeah I wonder why. I actually really liked Montage of Heck.

neorev
10-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Why the fuck is no one talking about this?!?!?!?!?!

Nirvana reunite!
For Foo Fighters encore this past Saturday, Dave Grohl, Kris, Novoselic, and Pat Smear reunited as Nirvana with Deer Tick's John McCauley, Joan Jett, and Brody Dale at Cal Jam 2018.

https://www.maxim.com/.image/t_share/MTU4OTgzMTE3MTY2NjE4MjYx/nirvana-reunion-gettyimages-1047044174.jpg

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5bba074d5817d4032087c460/2:1/w_790/Nirvana.jpg

Serve The Servants (w/ John McCauley)
Scentless Appreciate (w/ John McCauley)
In Bloom (w/ John McCauley)
Breed (w/ Joan Jett)
Smells Like Teen Spirit (w/ Joan Jett)
All Apologies (w/ Joan Jett & Brody Dale)

I must admit, after watching footage, I would pay to see Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, and McCauley tour as Nirvana. He did an amazing job on vocals/guitars. Someone get Nirvana and The Smashing Pumpkins to tour together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4hXromhgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGLTJjkmctM

Failure
10-08-2018, 07:04 PM
I guess nothing is sacred anymore.

neorev
10-08-2018, 07:09 PM
I think it's awesome and I'm a huge Nirvana fan. I think McCauley did a great job. Kurt was big into covering songs and honoring bands he loved and respected. I think the rest of the band deserves to play these songs. These songs belong to Dave and Kris too. I always loved Pat and thought they were at their peak as a live band with him. I will admit that Joan Jett felt a little gimmicky. But if these guys tour with McCauley, I am in. No one can replace Kurt, his heart and soul are still in the music, but damn did McCauley did a great job.

dvdglss
10-08-2018, 07:20 PM
I guess nothing is sacred anymore.

sorry, i definately prefer this than to having to hear Nirvana covers by shitty '00 numetal bands in festivals....

GulDukat
10-08-2018, 07:31 PM
That is cool and all, but hardly a Nirvana reunion. It would be like Noel Redding and Mitchell doing a gig and calling it a Jimi Hendrix Experience reunion.

otnavuskire
10-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Wow, McCauley did a great job.

P.S. that's how you spell his name.

Failure
10-08-2018, 08:18 PM
I don’t mean to come off as obtuse, but this just feels weird. Kurt was Nirvana. And while it’s fine for his band mates to honor the legacy; don’t do it at a damn Foo Fighters festival. Dave Grohl has taken it upon himself to be the torch-bearer for all rock and roll; the cool dad that transcends generations and “still knows how to rock”. Good job Dave. But get off your throne for one minute and leave Kurt’s songs out of your incessant positivity.

PS- Perhaps I am being unfair, but the guy isn’t even capable of singing a song properly anymore. It’s all “whoo whoo”’s, “here we go’s”, and “come on’s”. Might as well be Bon Jovi at this point. Kurt would not like any of this.

armogi
10-08-2018, 09:17 PM
As good as this sounded and as much as i'd like to hear these songs live i am also part of those who wish they'd leave it alone + It's hardly a reunion without the guy who is behind this legacy.
And yes, this feels even more weird happening at a freakin' foo fighters show.
keep it special if you are going to do this, do it at a benefit show or something.

tremolo
10-09-2018, 05:05 AM
Relax people, it’s just an encore, a one-off.

I still haven’t seen any videos of it, but that was a great choice of songs. So far my favourite thing is Kim Gordon singing Aneurysm.

A Kurt-less Nirvana tour would be disgusting, and I’m sure it will never happen. Kurt was the mind and soul of that band, and without him there is no Nirvana, period. But I don’t think the guys playing a few Nirvana covers to be some sort of sacrilege.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
10-09-2018, 10:45 AM
The ONLY Nirvana reunion that would be legit is with J Mascis singing and playing guitar, considering J's voice is already similar to Kurts, Kurt asked him to be IN Nirvana multiple times, and J is fuckin J and has earned his cred.....I know they did 3 songs together at that secret show thing a few years back. Thats the only Nirvana "reunion" that was sincere, the rest feel like corporate Dave rock n roll star refusing to let sleeping dogs lie...It could be worse. Dave could have actually sang and played guitar at these Nirvana "reunions"

tremolo
10-10-2018, 03:52 AM
The ONLY Nirvana reunion that would be legit is with J Mascis singing and playing guitar, considering J's voice is already similar to Kurts, Kurt asked him to be IN Nirvana multiple times, and J is fuckin J and has earned his cred.....I know they did 3 songs together at that secret show thing a few years back. Thats the only Nirvana "reunion" that was sincere, the rest feel like corporate Dave rock n roll star refusing to let sleeping dogs lie...It could be worse. Dave could have actually sang and played guitar at these Nirvana "reunions"

I had no idea they had played with Mascis... fuck! I would have loved to be there.

GulDukat
10-10-2018, 08:30 AM
The ONLY Nirvana reunion that would be legit is with J Mascis singing and playing guitar, considering J's voice is already similar to Kurts, Kurt asked him to be IN Nirvana multiple times, and J is fuckin J and has earned his cred.....I know they did 3 songs together at that secret show thing a few years back. Thats the only Nirvana "reunion" that was sincere, the rest feel like corporate Dave rock n roll star refusing to let sleeping dogs lie...It could be worse. Dave could have actually sang and played guitar at these Nirvana "reunions"Kurt Cobain and two scabs would be Nirvana. Kurt was Nirvana like Trent is NIN. Again, this was a cool tribute and all, but not a "Nirvana reunion."

snaapz
10-10-2018, 10:50 AM
I don't know about Kurt = Nirvana; is "Green Day" Billy? Is "STP" Scott? Is "Alice in Chains" Layne?

I think Nirvana was 65% - 70% Kurt.

Kirst was there all along. He formed the band, and his bass lines are just as smart and important as Kurts guitar; look at how many songs are bass driven!! I absolutely love Kirsts techniques and style in almost every song. He has his place and he doesn't simply follow Kurts guitar.

Then Dave was the icing on the cake. I don't know what his involvement was with writing, but his drumming is what brought everything together. I'm a huge fan of his drumming; he makes Bleach sound like a 15 yr old drummer in a garage. Dave did help design and produce the sounds we hear on Unplugged in NY.

Pat is just awesome.

10-10-2018, 10:55 AM
I had no idea they had played with Mascis... fuck! I would have loved to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092bFcVqT5s

Unfortunately this is the only vid available. Dave claims they filmed the show and will release it one day...I doubt it

tremolo
10-10-2018, 11:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092bFcVqT5s

Unfortunately this is the only vid available. Dave claims they filmed the show and will release it one day...I doubt it

That was beautiful.

neorev
10-16-2018, 02:43 PM
"When Pat, Krist and I sat down to go through those songs in a small rehearsal room with concrete walls, it fuckin’ sounded like Nirvana,” he told Kerrang!

“It was like being shot into outer space,” he said. “Being able to play that drum fill and break into the chorus…it’s spiritual, physical, emotional.”

He continued: “We would look at each other and smile, but the emotions would kind of go in waves, because there was someone missing – and you wish that you could still share those songs with Kurt.”

Novoselic said that he was “beaming” during the performance of ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit.’

“I will cherish that moment for a long time because it was pretty special,” he said.

Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/music/dave-grohl-nirvana-reunion-krist-novoselic-pat-smear-2390618#Tt4dZOeqCiwDyO5M.99

Haysey_Draws
10-18-2018, 08:15 AM
File this is the 'random' section, but on my walk to London Bridge along Embankment you get a lot of buskers doing their thing, some great, others good, rarely anything bad. Anyway yesterday some dude was playing Nirvana Come as You Are which...if your after tips is a bit of an odd choice. He was doing a pretty solid Cobain impression with a heavy distorted guitar...but he also had a friend providing support on bongo drums which was very odd.
It's not the weirdest thing i've seen in London...but it was odd.

Toadflax
10-18-2018, 07:47 PM
File this is the 'random' section, but on my walk to London Bridge along Embankment you get a lot of buskers doing their thing, some great, others good, rarely anything bad. Anyway yesterday some dude was playing Nirvana Come as You Are which...if your after tips is a bit of an odd choice. He was doing a pretty solid Cobain impression with a heavy distorted guitar...but he also had a friend providing support on bongo drums which was very odd.

I was in Ireland many years ago and passed by some buskers covering Molly's Lips. I got so excited I had to turn around and give them some money (I didn't know at the time it was a Vaselines song, which is probably how they knew it).

Twiggy
10-19-2018, 08:23 AM
I think it sounded amazing to see them out playing such great music which changed a generation. There will be nothing like that ever again, in this digital age. I'm so lucky to have lived through it as a teenager when everything just exploded in the early 90's.

Dave Grohl is unique and has done a lot to keeping great music alive, if you don't like how he sings or not a fan of his other work fine, yes Kurt was Nirvana but it was nothing without Dave and Krist as well. I just wish we got a chance to hear more music from them.

Sutekh
10-19-2018, 07:32 PM

have you met the johnny cash guy on the tube yet (usually on northern line trains in the early weekend evenings)? He can do cashed up nirvana, it's pretty good

Haysey_Draws
10-22-2018, 02:43 AM
have you met the johnny cash guy on the tube yet (usually on northern line trains in the early weekend evenings)? He can do cashed up nirvana, it's pretty good

I don't tend to use the tube in London, if i can walk it i will (i currently walk from London Bridge to Kings Cross everyday) so i don't think i'll catch this guy.

tremolo
10-23-2018, 02:50 PM
I think it sounded amazing to see them out playing such great music which changed a generation. There will be nothing like that ever again, in this digital age. I'm so lucky to have lived through it as a teenager when everything just exploded in the early 90's.

Dave Grohl is unique and has done a lot to keeping great music alive, if you don't like how he sings or not a fan of his other work fine, yes Kurt was Nirvana but it was nothing without Dave and Krist as well. I just wish we got a chance to hear more music from them.

Dave and Krist could have been Peter and Johnny, or Manuel and Igor, and we would have still got Nirvana.

It was so powerful and short-lived... I wish Kurt’s idea of working with Stipe had materialized, or any musical endeavour of his... we missed out big time.

10-23-2018, 03:44 PM
yes Kurt was Nirvana but it was nothing without Dave and Krist as well..

Kurt didnt need either one. Dave was a drummer boy who contributed nothing. Kurt wanted J Mascis to be the drummer. If J joined in 1990 (when he was asked) Nevermind and In Utero would have been just as great, if not better.....Krist contributed nothing except telling stupid jokes mid concert to try and break up the tension....

zecho
10-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Krist contributed nothing except telling stupid jokes mid concert to try and break up the tension....

And bass.

Sutekh
10-24-2018, 02:41 PM
dave and kris brought something to the table, but you can listen to cobain only demos and they are unmistakably nirvana

In dave's defence, what's the first thing that plays in your mind when you think of scentless apprentice

bobbie solo
10-29-2018, 12:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dcjXpgIlc&ab_channel=mcnama12

Never saw this before. Guess it was supposed to be a music video for the song since the audio here is actually the album version. 30 years ago...sheesh. Talk about simpler times.

neorev
10-29-2018, 02:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dcjXpgIlc&ab_channel=mcnama12

Never saw this before. Guess it was supposed to be a music video for the song since the audio here is actually the album version. 30 years ago...sheesh. Talk about simpler times.

Now I wanna go and listen to Bleach

onthewall2983
12-11-2018, 01:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3LVZyJaWgw&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0k QYRjHkMw7zzAfcbFSldBjgMoRKoXgkcYWDhtiep1WjoXBgi6kn H0h4E

armogi
04-06-2019, 12:42 AM
25 years. Where did time go?