PDA

View Full Version : Mario

Halo Infinity
08-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Mario was my introduction to video games. I think the first three video games that I've ever seen and played would have to be Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Anyway, discuss all Mario games here. I've also played Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 quite a lot. I have been out of the loop for quite some time though, as the latest Mario game I have is Super Mario Sunshine, but I still intend to catch up a bit. I'm also still happy that I have at least lived to have beaten Super Mario Bros. 2, as in the "Lost Levels" version. I sometimes play it, and it makes me wonder how I even got past it at all.

I suppose this can also include Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Super Mario Strikers and *Insert Random Multiplayer Mario Game Title Here* games, as a means to just keep all Mario-related games in one thread.

And speaking of Mario Kart, I still enjoy Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. I also enjoyed Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, and loved it when playing against 4 players. I still have yet to get the later Mario Kart games though.

Millionaire
08-08-2014, 01:02 AM
I'd recommend the Super Mario Galaxies, Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Mario 3D World if you want to get in on some modern Mario action. Those are all excellent. I play the NES ones every couple of years as well. They really are classics(and surprising difficult, as well. We had to be real gamers in the 2D days).

Wretchedest
08-08-2014, 01:27 AM
I love/loved Mario but I can't help but ignore almost every title he is in anymore. Man, people say call of duty is played out? Mario has been doing the same thing for DECADES.

To be sure, they are well crafted. No one ever accused a Mario game of being underdone or poorly crafted. Mario 64 COULD BE the single most important and influential game of all time. It's difficult to think of what the world would be like if Nintendo didn't pull it off as smoothly as they did. I remember picking up that game for the first time, the first 3D game like that ever, and it just fucking worked! on a wonky-ass three handle controller no less.

Always sucked at Mario Kart, though. But I do ok on the new one! Great party game. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

ALSO! CONTROVERSIAL OPINION! The movie isn't that bad. I mean as far as a "Faithfulness to the material standpoint" it's definitely not all there, but I think that that is an especially unfair measuring stick. Not everything can be faithful to the material, and for that screenwriter to be handed a 16 bit mario game and be told to write 2 hours of material from it.... I mean what would anyone have done? How could it have ever been good. I think it's a fairly neat enjoyable movie!

Never played Mario sunshine.

elevenism
08-08-2014, 03:04 AM
I had an atari, but then one fateful day in 1987 (i was seven,) i went to a friend's house who had Super Mario Brothers.
I swear to god, i remember that first round of mario better than i remember my first time having sex.
All these years later, i'm still a sucker for anything Nintendo, and of course, all things Mario.
A mario title of any kind (take, for instance, paper mario on the game cube,) is like an old pair of jeans, even if it's new. It's pleasant and familiar. It's somehow comforting. The music, the familiar faces, the sense of nostalgia...it's true love for me.

Mario 64 WAS amazing , Wretchedest . And if you are looking for mario doing some new, different things, check THIS shit out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOKVABfrzw

as for me, i'm a purist: i LOVE the old 2-D style games and mostly play retro games.
New Super Mario Bros on Wii is pretty much a sequel to Super Mario 3. If you guys haven't played it, it's fucking GREAT: an oldschool style game with wii caliber graphics, sound and size. Have you played it @Millionaire (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2070) ? It's pretty fucking hard!

niggo
08-08-2014, 03:15 AM
I love/loved Mario but I can't help but ignore almost every title he is in anymore. Man, people say call of duty is played out? Mario has been doing the same thing for DECADES.

Those guys over at Nintendo at least try to come up with some innovative and new gameplay elements (just look at Mario Sunshine/Galaxy) and, if you ask me, are pretty damn good at it. That's a totally different thing to Call of Duty, which really IS the same fucking game over and over.

Sure, Mario still jumps on the heads of angry mushrooms, but that's just part of the whole genre. Just like you're always shooting stuff in first-person shooters.

I don't want to come off as an angry Nintendo fanboy, but seriously, COD is so much worse.

elevenism
08-08-2014, 03:28 AM
I don't want to come off as an angry Nintendo fanboy, but seriously, COD is so much worse.

i am a MILITANT nintendo fanboy! ;)
but i'm afraid they jumped the shark with this wii u contraption. I also read that they can't lower the price because it would seriously fuck them off financially (which blows because i REALLY want one.)

What i hope to see Nintendo do is, in the next couple of years, come out with a new, gimmick-free console. No funky controller or anything like that.
Just a nintendo with specs comparable to that of what Sony and Microsoft are doing.

And at launch time, they should have ready INCREDIBLE versions of Mario, Zelda, Metroid...maybe something like Contra.

AND, the system should be cheaper than the microsoft sexbox or sony gamestation. I believe they could cut these costs by leaving out the blu ray players and whatever the fuck else those new systems are doing (idk, because more often than not, if i'm playing a video game it's a gameboy advance game or an SNES game on my softmodded wii.

Picture it. Nintendo. Doing what nintendo has always done best, bringing the first party titles that only nintendo can, with one eye on the past to invoke our rich, rich nostalgia and one eye on the present, creating a truly amazing top notch console.

I actually believe this is inevitable...and that it doesn't happen, Nintendo will be reduced to making games for other systems.

niggo
08-08-2014, 04:00 AM
I don't have a Wii U but I just recently bought a 3DS XL. I never had any DS system so this is all completely new to me. I seriously fell in love with it; I'm amazed by the quality of the 3DS itself but also by all the frickin' awesome games that are available.

I think the biggest problem with the Wii U is the pretty average first party line-up. I don't care for multiplatform games.

I do like the concept of the Wii U however, and I'm 100% sure I'll be getting one in the next couple of months. With the new Smash Bros. coming up and other games like Mario Kart 8, 3D Mario World and Wind Waker HD there are a few great titles to start out with. Not to mention the new Zelda which is announced for 2015!

Anyway, I hope Nintendo will be making some cash again in the near future. It's kinda hard to imagine, however, that they will ever go back to the roots and make a gimmick-free console. It seems those gimmicks are the last things that are keeping them alive.

Space Suicide
08-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Anyway, I hope Nintendo will be making some cash again in the near future. It's kinda hard to imagine, however, that they will ever go back to the roots and make a gimmick-free console. It seems those gimmicks are the last things that are keeping them alive.

Me too. I'd be the first to buy one of their consoles if they dropped this stupid ass "gimmick functionality" crap. it's stupidly shallow and a real lame brain attempt to make them fresh. I have zero interest in a controller the size of a tablet.

Millionaire
08-08-2014, 01:01 PM
New Super Mario Bros on Wii is pretty much a sequel to Super Mario 3. If you guys haven't played it, it's fucking GREAT: an oldschool style game with wii caliber graphics, sound and size. Have you played it @Millionaire (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2070) ? It's pretty fucking hard!
I intend to. I have it lying around somewhere in my embarrassingly high backlog of games to play.

elevenism
08-09-2014, 02:58 AM
niggo , i hope you're wrong. i sincerely hope...in fact, i believe, that there are enough of us who grew up strictly with nintendo, to warrant a gimmick free contemporary system.
They could call it the Nintendo, or something back to basics like that.

I think that if they could manage to make it CHEAPER than the other two, they would have a winner.