PDA

View Full Version : The Playstation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I was going to make a thread for the PS Vita, but we might as well save space and keep all general Playstation Network/PSN Store/PS3/Vita-related news and discussion in one hub.

The latest rumor on the PS Vita is that it'll be able to play not just certain PS3 games, but 480p versions of ALL PS3-supported games - and future games may be made with an additional optimized resolution specifically for play on the Vita. If this is gonna be the case, then I'll definitely be investing in one if these babies. If not, I'll probably still be on the fence about it. Being able play all (or even just some) of my PS3 games on the go would make it a really sweet investment.

And in other news - I noticed that Plus members could get all of the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games for free in the PSN store. You bet your ass I downloaded every one!

Torgo
12-05-2011, 12:00 AM
My Playstation 3 makes a wonderful Netflix machine / Blu-Ray system.

Wretchedest
12-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Over the last year my PS3 has become my gaming machine of choice. It happened, in part because my X-Box is falling apart for the third time since I bought it, and is basically out of memory. I'm tired of paying for the XBox Live service and having to deal with their crappy Customer Service line. My Wii, which still function sand only very occasionally sees play, has succumbed to my former insane lifestyle and psychotic roomates, and is almost dead.

BUt my playstation strides along like a champ. NOw that I have an HD tv, HDMI makes everything look better than it would on the Xbox. And, yes, Blu-Ray, free online service, nice exclusive content, like Infamous and Little Big Planet. I'm not a fanboy, but PS3 is the bees knees as far as consoles go.

liquidcalm
12-05-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm gonna pick up a Vita for sure. Its got a new wipeout game on it.
Anything else is just a bonus really.

I've always been a Playstation gamer, I've never really gotten into that many other consoles exclusives (Zeldas and Marios aside) so yeah, I'll be sticking with my big black whirring device for a while yet. This year, despite having an awesome line up of games, was pretty rough for Sony with the hack and all, but still, its all about the games for me.

Space Suicide
12-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I want the Vita. My PSP is overused. Is it sad I use it more for music, internet and videos more than gaming? I bring it with me to school every day and plug it into my car's stereo to play it to relieve me of radio. I pretty much do it every day.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I want the Vita. My PSP is overused. Is it sad I use it more for music, internet and videos more than gaming? I bring it with me to school every day and plug it into my car's stereo to play it to relieve me of radio. I pretty much do it every day.

That was going to be my problem with the Vita. I didn't want to buy it and then end up only using it for things other than gaming if there weren't going o be a lot of games I wanted to play. But if it ends up supporting all PS3 games in a lower resolution format, I think that'll be the deal maker. Don't get me wrong, there are some Vita releases I'll be excited for, but I don't wanna drop 300 bucks on it and then only have enough expendable cash for a game or two until I can afford more.

Rémy
12-06-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm thinking of picking up a Japanese-imported Vita and getting it sent to the UK when it's released later this month. A quick Google search tells me that the Vita will be region-free, which is great, but do we know if the Japanese-release Vita will support English-language menus etc?

Jinsai
12-06-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm thinking of picking up a Japanese-imported Vita and getting it sent to the UK when it's released later this month. A quick Google search tells me that the Vita will be region-free, which is great, but do we know if the Japanese-release Vita will support English-language menus etc?

Not sure, but considering that the PS3 does, I would assume that you can set the language options on the Vita as well. You might need someone to help you get to the settings panel though if it's all in JP as a default.

Jinsai
12-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Namco finally announces a release date (march 13) for the US version of Tales of Graces F (http://www.neoseeker.com/news/17964-tales-of-gracesf-set-for-march-2012-release-in-north-america/)

liquidcalm
12-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Naughty Dog are making something that isn't Uncharted! This fact (and the pretty cool trailer aside) makes me pretty happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWzcYbtZQrk&feature=player_embedded

“The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague,” reads the description on the official TLoU channel “Abandoned cities are being reclaimed by nature and the remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.”

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
What seems really appealing to me about The Last of Us is that it seems to take place waaay after whatever disaster took place. At least it was long enough for that girl to grow up, if she doesn't even remember seeing cities with people in them. It makes me think of the scenery in I Am Legend, which I absolutely loved.

Edit: In the last couple weeks, I've managed to get all the Spyro PS1 games AND all the Crash Bandicoot PS1 games for free. I have a feeling I won't regret going with Playstation Plus. You really do save more than you spend on a membership, and you can save all your save data on the network in case you lose it (would have been nice to have when my hard drive fried). I just got the 3-month subscription, but I might cash out for the year one once this one runs up.

krush
12-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Deadmau5 Leaves Vita in a Cab, Handheld Still Lost in Los Angeles (http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/12/11/deadmau5-leaves-vita-in-a-cab-handheld-still-lost-in-los-angeles/)

liquidcalm
12-11-2011, 06:28 PM
It was all a dirty trick!
http://kotaku.com/5867063/surprise-that-ps-vita-wasnt-lost-at-the-vgas-after-all

S. Chonson
12-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Add me, fellas! SlimChonson

Jinsai
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Deadmau5 Leaves Vita in a Cab, Handheld Still Lost in Los Angeles (http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/12/11/deadmau5-leaves-vita-in-a-cab-handheld-still-lost-in-los-angeles/)

Turns out to be a joke.

Anyway, I got to play around with a Playstation Vita the other day. If you live in the Los Angeles area, it seems Sony has opened a shop in Santa Monica. They don't sell anything there that I could see, but they let you play the new Uncharted game on Vita. It's kinda weird.

But yeah, Uncharted Golden Abyss is incredible.

Space Suicide
12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
The Last of Us looks decent to great by that trailer. Might buy it...

Is it just me, or does the teen girl in that look like Ellen Page?

pequena
12-13-2011, 10:49 PM
I just download FFVI off PSN, playing it now. Great port! I have it on PS1 and it was my intention to play it there, but the loading reeeeally impeded the experience :/ This is much better :) In all it's original 16-bit glory.

Rossva
12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Dragon age 2 - how the fuck do you kick the high dragons ass?!!

Great game but honestly think I'm stuck now!!!

Rossva
12-19-2011, 01:29 AM
It's my 18th birthday today so I signed up for the playstation network and all that, but despite being 18 AND having disabled the parental controls, I can't play online Modern Warfare 3 because it says my parental controls won't allow it......help?

Happy birthday!

Presumably someone else in your household has a master account on that PS3?

Get them to sign on, maybe they need disable the parental controls.

If not, reply with the exact error message (include any error codes) and well fix it for ya!

Jord
12-27-2011, 03:29 PM
just bought a PS3 today after months of waiting.

BEST. DAY. EVER.

nemesiswontdie
12-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Turns out to be a joke.

Anyway, I got to play around with a Playstation Vita the other day. If you live in the Los Angeles area, it seems Sony has opened a shop in Santa Monica. They don't sell anything there that I could see, but they let you play the new Uncharted game on Vita. It's kinda weird.

But yeah, Uncharted Golden Abyss is incredible.

Good to know that Golden Abyss is incredible. I got a pre-order for a Vita and Uncharted for Christmas.

Have you guys seen the price for the memory cards for the Vita? Fucking ridiculous. A 8GB memory card is like $60 if I remember right.

Jinsai
12-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Have you guys seen the price for the memory cards for the Vita? Fucking ridiculous. A 8GB memory card is like $60 if I remember right.

They're pricey, but not as bad as the first released prices. I think the 32 gig is 100, so I doubt the 8 gig is 60... Still pretty up there.

kdrcraig
12-29-2011, 07:02 AM
They're pricey, but not as bad as the first released prices. I think the 32 gig is 100, so I doubt the 8 gig is 60... Still pretty up there.

The 8GB is $29.99 now. Here's a link to all the prices: http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1215455p1.html

kdrcraig
02-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Has anyone used the video service on the PSN? I wanted to watch The Ides of March last night and the copy I ripped had the sound get fucked up about a half hour into it so I thought I'd give the service a shot and rent it. It took 90 minutes to download, fucking terrible. I figured that the rental service would be streaming or something, definitely not an hour and a half before I could watch it. And it was 6 bucks, I'll never use the video service again.

Space Suicide
02-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I want the Vita but it's going to be such a money pit with games, the system and memory. Consider me out of the curve of getting it for a while.

Jinsai
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Has anyone used the video service on the PSN? I wanted to watch The Ides of March last night and the copy I ripped had the sound get fucked up about a half hour into it so I thought I'd give the service a shot and rent it. It took 90 minutes to download, fucking terrible. I figured that the rental service would be streaming or something, definitely not an hour and a half before I could watch it. And it was 6 bucks, I'll never use the video service again.

I used the rental service a while back, and I bought a couple movies to throw on my psp. To be honest it's been a long time, but I don't remember it taking that long. Then again, it seems like a lot of people have issues with slow downloads and updates on their ps3s, and I've never really run int that personally.

kdrcraig
02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
I want the Vita but it's going to be such a money pit with games, the system and memory. Consider me out of the curve of getting it for a while.

I pre-ordered it from Best Buy this morning. I had $105 in Reward Zone certificates and a $25 gift card from Christmas so I ended up getting the Launch Bundle for $181.69. Have a $100 Amazon gift card coming from my credit card rewards so I'll use that to buy a case and maybe another game. The Vita looks pretty bad ass and I've got a little extra money at the moment so I figured why not. I doubt I'll buy many games for it unless they get a bit cheaper, I'll probably just Gamefly stuff for it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I think I'll hold off until Black Friday for the Vita. No doubt it'll have an awesome bundle package for relatively cheap...Even if I had the cash now, I'd probably wait to see how well it does before I put any money down.

Any other Playstation Plus members in here? They announced their perks for February, starting tomorrow: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217595p1.html
(http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217595p1.html)
Free download of FF5, Simpsons Arcade Game, Far Cry 2, Sonic 1 and 2, and a bunch of other stuff.

Amaro
02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Add me, fellas! SlimChonson

Play Battlefield 3!

just bought a PS3 today after months of waiting.

BEST. DAY. EVER.

GOOD FOR YOU.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Has anyone ever heard about not being able to play any used games on PS3? Preferably Uncharted?

liquidcalm
02-07-2012, 02:24 AM
my used copy of Uncharted 1 + 2 says no?
The only thing that is in place is an online pass you have to buy if you pick up a used copy of UC3 to play online. The single player all works ok on its own tho.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-08-2012, 01:33 AM
my used copy of Uncharted 1 + 2 says no?
The only thing that is in place is an online pass you have to buy if you pick up a used copy of UC3 to play online. The single player all works ok on its own tho.

Cool.. Thanks a bunch. My girlfriends brother wanted her to get 3 for him, and he said to make sure to get a new copy because he said he wouldn't be able to play it. I thought that was wrong myself.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Cool.. Thanks a bunch. My girlfriends brother wanted her to get 3 for him, and he said to make sure to get a new copy because he said he wouldn't be able to play it. I thought that was wrong myself.

I'm gonna be really sad if that becomes a thing. Used games are part of the good in the gaming world. I'm less worried about buying used games for PS3 than 360 because I don't think I've bought a single used game that was in less than "new" condition, since the blu-rays are so much harder to really scuff up.

Also - I'm loving Playstation Plus today. Yesterday I managed to download Syphon Filter 1-3 and a bunch of other minis before they got taken off the discount list, and today I got FF5 and the Simpsons arcade game, plus MORE minis.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm gonna be really sad if that becomes a thing. Used games are part of the good in the gaming world. I'm less worried about buying used games for PS3 than 360 because I don't think I've bought a single used game that was in less than "new" condition, since the blu-rays are so much harder to really scuff up.

Also - I'm loving Playstation Plus today. Yesterday I managed to download Syphon Filter 1-3 and a bunch of other minis before they got taken off the discount list, and today I got FF5 and the Simpsons arcade game, plus MORE minis.

Tell me about it. I think the whole thing is silly. I never have a problem with used games... ever. Like you said: You really have to go out of your way to scuff up a PS3 disc and fuck it up. The fact that if I cannot afford a game, I can't even go to a friends house and borrow a game, no less rent one. Here is an article from Ign.com saying how this is somewhat "Fantastic". I don't get it.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218051p1.html

Back on topic: I almost went and got Playstation Plus the other day. I keep debating if it is worth it to get it, but I see all these great sales for old games and such like you took advantage of. But in the end, after I beat those games and play the shit out of them again I will wind up just deleting them :/. I have some thinking to do.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Tell me about it. I think the whole thing is silly. I never have a problem with used games... ever. Like you said: You really have to go out of your way to scuff up a PS3 disc and fuck it up. The fact that if I cannot afford a game, I can't even go to a friends house and borrow a game, no less rent one. Here is an article from Ign.com saying how this is somewhat "Fantastic". I don't get it.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218051p1.html

Back on topic: I almost went and got Playstation Plus the other day. I keep debating if it is worth it to get it, but I see all these great sales for old games and such like you took advantage of. But in the end, after I beat those games and play the shit out of them again I will wind up just deleting them :/. I have some thinking to do.

I read that article! I can kinda see where they're coming from, but it's just hard for me to get behind the whole paid rental system they talk about, because I rarely eeever rent games. Even if I want to try it out, odds are I have a friend who can loan me their copy. I'm the kind of customer that doesn't really go out and even buy a game, used or new, unless I'm 100% sure I'll love it and get my money's worth. I don't wanna pay $8 just to try something out, because I rarely get a chance to play the rental for the whole rental period. I might get to play it for 3-5 hours over a week, then I'm just out money for being a little curious. ..I had some other thing I was gonna add to that, but I just had a total brain fart.

Oh yeah! The free one-hour full game trial that PS+ offers is pretty sweet. That way I can just play and play or a hour and see what it's all about without playing some kind of botched tutorial version that takes place later on in the game, when I won't have any clue what's going on.

But anyway...I think the Playstation Plus thing is a pretty good deal. At least the 3-month subscription is. It's only 18 ish bucks, and so far I can say I've probably saved at least 4 times that much on free stuff alone, not including the discounts they have from time to time. I've also been pretty lucky with what they've made available. A month or two ago they had the entire Crash Bandicoot PS1 collection for free, then the entire Spyro collection, and last week they had Syphon Filter, which I never played, but always wanted to look into. Now you can get Final Fantasy 5, which is awesome.

I mean, sure, for the most part, I'm paying for games I'm not too sure I would willingly spend the money on anyway. I wouldn't see a copy of Crash Bandicoot in the store and pick it up on the spot. But since I'm getting so much for less than 20 bucks, plus all the other little things (backing up save files to a cloud-type drive, starting games right from the save point without having to deal with the menus and stuff) it seems pretty worth it to me. I'll probably get the 1-year subscription once my 3-month one is up.

liquidcalm
02-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Aye, I've had PS+ since it launched.. and while I've can't say I've gotten any mind-blowingly awesome games, it has at least given me the chance to play a wide variety of stuff.. The other month Back to the Future was free, and I kinda liked that. Lots of Ps1 classics, a few good minis (Where is my heart was a good one) and day one discounts of things like Malicious, Oddworld etc are all lovely. Oh and a copy of Littelbigplanet and Sega Rally as well as the (for me life saving) Cloud saves. Has been good.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I read that article! I can kinda see where they're coming from, but it's just hard for me to get behind the whole paid rental system they talk about, because I rarely eeever rent games. Even if I want to try it out, odds are I have a friend who can loan me their copy. I'm the kind of customer that doesn't really go out and even buy a game, used or new, unless I'm 100% sure I'll love it and get my money's worth. I don't wanna pay $8 just to try something out, because I rarely get a chance to play the rental for the whole rental period. I might get to play it for 3-5 hours over a week, then I'm just out money for being a little curious. ..I had some other thing I was gonna add to that, but I just had a total brain fart.

It just seems retarded to me to have people being limited to how they share or use their games. I NEVER rent games due to the fact (like you said) I never have the time to play the game for the full time I have it and I wind up wasting money. Plus, Blockbusters are closing down everywhere so I can't just drive somewhere and rent a game anymore :/

But anyway...I think the Playstation Plus thing is a pretty good deal. At least the 3-month subscription is. It's only 18 ish bucks, and so far I can say I've probably saved at least 4 times that much on free stuff alone, not including the discounts they have from time to time. I've also been pretty lucky with what they've made available. A month or two ago they had the entire Crash Bandicoot PS1 collection for free, then the entire Spyro collection, and last week they had Syphon Filter, which I never played, but always wanted to look into. Now you can get Final Fantasy 5, which is awesome.

Thanks for the feedback ;). I think I am going to give it a run and see how I like it. I always find myself browsing through all the PSONE classics and such, and I see a lot of deals for them here and there when I sign in. Sucks I didn't know about the free games like Crash. I bought all three of them like a month ago for like 5 bucks each. If anything, I think I will play around with the 3 month subscription. We'll see..

liquidcalm
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Well. I got a Vita in the post yesterday. First console I've ever had on launch day since the PS2. I would post some more initial impressions as it also came with Wipeout however due to Amazon being odd, they sent the memory stick separate and you actually can't play any games (well, Wipeout or any downloads) without it. So My initial impressions are it feels really nice, the screen is lovely and Near is pretty cool. Coupled with wondering why Sony didn't bundle any memory in whatsoever. At all. I realize it gives you a choice, do you want to have a little card and just buy games in a store, or a big card and download lots, but would it kill you to include enough memory to start a game? Hmm.
That aside I'll come back once I get a memory card and play a game other than the welcome park thing and stop playing Motorstorm RC on the PS3 (which is really fun)

kdrcraig
02-23-2012, 07:14 AM
I picked up my Vita yesterday and messed around with it a bit last night, so far it's pretty cool. Lumines: Electronic Symphony is fucking awesome, gonna buy it from Gamefly. The free Welcome Park game that comes on it is just a tutorial for all the touch screen features, but it's actually still kind of fun and it has trophies with it.

But there is one thing about the Launch Bundle that really pisses me off. One of the selling points was you got a free month of the AT&T 3G Data Plan and a free PSN game(Super Stardust Delta + DLC). The thing is you have to pay for a month of the Data Plan and then you get your second month free, and you have to wait 30 days from when you sign up for it before they send you a voucher for the game. What the fuck?! A month of the cheapest data plan is $14.99, Super Stardust is $15 for the game and the DLC, so actually the game isn't free at all. I guess if you're going to use the 3G then this is a good deal but I know I won't so I'm not even gonna bother signing up for it, I'm just gonna buy Super Stardust so I don't have to wait 30 days to play it and sign up for a data plan that I'm never going to use.

Anyway, with the little amount of time I've spent messing with the Vita so far, I don't think I'm going to regret buying it at all.

liquidcalm
02-25-2012, 04:22 AM
I did write a big thing. But then I got confused and obviously didn't post it. Anyway. Had some time to play some games. Lumines is awesome, Wipeout is good, not quite up to the standard of HD, the tracks are pretty hard to learn due to lots of (very pretty) graphics and visual noise, but the gameplay is there. I'm having a little difficulty settling on a control scheme that works for me. I thought jumping in with the classic 'wipeout' controls would suite me, but the Vita's buttons are just a tad too close together.
Uncharted is gorgeous. It plays really well and is broken down into smaller chunks with a lot of exploration (much more like the first game, and by alot I mean a bit more than UC1 and a lot more than UC3). Plus I played it on the loo. Next gen portable ftw.
Stardust is perfectly suited to the handheld and great for short blasts, Motorstorm RC the same.

Now to earn some trophies and wait for Gravity Rush....

kdrcraig
03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Heads up for anyone that has a Vita, Motorstorm RC is free today, not sure for how long since it just says "limited time", US only

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/05/motorstorm-rc-driving-to-ps-vita-for-free-courtesy-of-scion/

Amaro
03-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Alright, I need help with gamesharing. Any experts here?

liquidcalm
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
depends if you are using recently bought software or older ones. new titles can only be active on 2 devices (this includes PS3, PSPs + Vitas). Anything bought before Feb can be active on 5 devices. So, if I own a Ps3, Vita and PSP (which I do) and hypothetically I bought a PSX that would work on all three (the Vita still doesn't have psx emu) I could only play that game on 2 of my three things.
Basically to gameshare you need to give your psn username and password away to someone else (unless it is your bestest buddy and you are round their house) and let them access your download history.

My advice: don't do it. I don't trust anyone with my passwords. One thing to remember is you can de-activate a ps3/psp/vita through the Sony site so if someone does fuck you over (and doesn't do it back to you, I have heard horror stories) you can go and remotely deactivate any device you have logged with your PSN account which is handy if a ps3 bricks or you buy a new one.

Amaro
03-25-2012, 01:42 PM
See...I have actually seen the process done, and I'd recently tried it. The receiver was able to get my stuff he wanted. But when I went back to my name, I had to redownload stuff (was not expecting that) yet one thing I wanted wasn't working...said I already had two devices active. That didn't make sense. Unless that one thing was just unusual with the system (it was something included free of charge from preordering the game but was something later on purchasable). I eventually had to opt for the big deactivate through the site (that you can apparently only do once every six months) after running into an actual error from trying to fix the first issue by activate/deactivate from the PS3, which prevented me from downloading anything I ever bought in the PS Store.

It just became a mess... Now I'm back to square one. My cousin no longer has what he got from me. And I'm reluctant to try again. But damnit, it should work right.

liquidcalm
03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
to be honest its not there to let you share your games with other people, it is so you can use your purchases on your own machines. The whole 'game-sharing' thing was people abusing (or using, I'm not one to judge) what was actually a fairly open way of d/ling content. You can't do this with Steam or XBLA (to the best of my knowledge). But really since they changed the license to only 2 machines, its kinda become more pain than its worth, I'm sure a few people with 3 ps3s in the house got butthurt by it, but I think if you've got 3 ps3s in your house you can probably afford to buy a game twice. A few games even expect you to be signed in on the psn you bought them with.

Its a bit of a messy thing really, publishers expect a game to work on only one thing at once, if you bought a disc based game, you can't play the game while your friend has it (unless its Portal 2). But downloads are not physical products, you can just make multiple copies. They see it as stealing, in the same way they see used games as stealing profits from them. If they are right or not is quite the debate...

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Possible new PS4 details leaked (but basically just a rumor at this point, from a "reliable source") http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221819p1.html

If any of this is close to true, it'll only deter me from buying a PS4. No Backwards compatibility with PS3, used game restriction, and tying blu-ray discs of any type to your PSN account?

Today, Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details) posted a story containing alleged details on Sony's next home console, the PlayStation 4. Kotaku claims that the details of the story "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publically about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with [the publication] before." According to this source, the next PlayStation is codenamed Orbis and will launch in the 2013 holiday season.

Kotaku notes that the predicted specs of the Orbis currently include an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU. The source told Kotaku that "select developers" have already received dev kits at the beginning of the year and revised kits arrived around the time of the Game Developers Conference earlier this month.

Furthermore, according to Kotaku's source, Orbis will not feature backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 games and will incorporate some sort of used-games restriction. Apparently, once a consumer inserts a Blu-ray disc into Orbis it must be tied to a PSN account and can no longer be shared. The data can be installed onto the system and flagged as "downloaded" from the PSN so it can be re-downloaded for future use. Sources are "unclear" as to how the disc functions following this, though one possibility is that the disc can allow consumers to access trial content before purchasing the full game on their console.

IGN contacted Sony for a comment on these rumors. The official response: "we don't comment on rumors or speculation." If any other details emerge, we will update this article.

Conan The Barbarian
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
So if all rumors are true, companies are ditching used games in general.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
That's kind of what it seems like. I mean, all this talk about the PS4 (and Xbox 720) is mostly rumors and speculation, so it's hard to believe they would actually follow up with any of this yet. But when we get some official details, and if this is all true, it'll really make me think twice before I decided to dish out $300 for a new console.

This just seems like too bad of an idea to be true.

Space Suicide
03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm not surprised to hear rumors like this and I am a believer of them all. Call me naive but this is just one more way to control their consumers and make them pay for every game, DLC and every item involved within a game console. I don't condone full on game trading and used selling but I do get my fair share of games at used and cheaper secondhand prices - it's just more economically sound to get a game at a cheaper price then shelling out top dollar for $60.00 (currently) for a game when you want it but are hesitant to buy it full price asap.

I'm sure with such a thing implemented, they'd probably pursue an increase in game prices - probably making a game at least (if not more) $70.00 for a new game at launch day. Such prices are steep and are close to being absurd. I think $60.00 for a game these days is high enough already.

PS4 and 720 might want to use these tactics in the next gen of consoles but I guarantee there'll be a lot less people involved with the generation for the simple fact of no backwards compatibility or used game sales. Such things will turn a lot of casual gamers off (who still are a good part of revenue). Whether publishers (mostly) or devs (often) want to believe or not, the used game commerce and sales are a major part of the gaming industry today. Taking away such things will sour a lot of people.

Whatever. In recent news I played my PS3 for the first time since October today. I should use it more often and blend to make a healthy 50/50 usage between it and my 360. I still think my 360 will continue to see more use though...

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-28-2012, 09:16 PM
It doesn't really affect me as much as it does other gamers. Most of the games I buy, I buy new. It's the same way I am with music and movies. I only buy when I know that I'm going to get hoouurs of enjoyment out of the product. For games I'm unsure about, I'll just rent. If I can do everything I wanna do with it, and don't feel like buying the game, then I'll just leave it at that. What I don't like is that they're making it impossible for the fans who buy used games regularly to enjoy games at a more manageable price. I can see where they'd be coming from, financially, but they have to think about the backlash that kind of thing would have. I'm just one guy. For every person that doesn't buy many used games, there are hundreds that usually buy games used. If they make a system that doesn't allow you to play used games, aaall of those people are going to be turned off on buying the new console. They'd probably lose even MORE money that way.

Conan The Barbarian
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm not surprised to hear rumors like this and I am a believer of them all. Call me naive but this is just one more way to control their consumers and make them pay for every game, DLC and every item involved within a game console. I don't condone full on game trading and used selling but I do get my fair share of games at used and cheaper secondhand prices - it's just more economically sound to get a game at a cheaper price then shelling out top dollar for $60.00 (currently) for a game when you want it but are hesitant to buy it full price asap.

I'm sure with such a thing implemented, they'd probably pursue an increase in game prices - probably making a game at least (if not more) $70.00 for a new game at launch day. Such prices are steep and are close to being absurd. I think $60.00 for a game these days is high enough already.

PS4 and 720 might want to use these tactics in the next gen of consoles but I guarantee there'll be a lot less people involved with the generation for the simple fact of no backwards compatibility or used game sales. Such things will turn a lot of casual gamers off (who still are a good part of revenue). Whether publishers (mostly) or devs (often) want to believe or not, the used game commerce and sales are a major part of the gaming industry today. Taking away such things will sour a lot of people.

Whatever. In recent news I played my PS3 for the first time since October today. I should use it more often and blend to make a healthy 50/50 usage between it and my 360. I still think my 360 will continue to see more use though...

My ps3 is mainly my blu ray, and when i want to play nba2k. I think I will be buying my sports games on it since my friends on ps3 play them. plus I think sports games handle a bit slicker on a ps3. but My xbox gets the most play time really.

liquidcalm
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
I guess (and hope) if these rumors are true, the service is as good as Steam. Steam locks your content to one account, and you can only use one account at a time, but its a damn fine service, so no-one complains.

kdrcraig
04-06-2012, 07:08 AM
When the hell did Amazon Instant Video get added to PS3? I was going to use Netflix the other day and noticed that app sitting there. I have Amazon Prime so I get a shitload of free streaming videos from that service, I never used it before because I didn't want to watch stuff on my computer. A lot of the free stuff on there is on Netflix too but they have some cool stuff that isn't.

orestes
04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
It was added this week. First episodes of TV shows are free, btw.

kdrcraig
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah I saw that when I was linking it with my Amazon account. Just another reason I don't need cable.

Space Suicide
04-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Questionario!

Why does my Uncharted 2: Among Thieves keep showing an endless loop of the Phurba Dagger at the initial loading screen? I read up and it stated that it occurs when a corruption is abound. It calls for deleting all updates and saves and re-downloading everything (including the 1.09 patch and every bit of DLC). I can't keep doing that. Any help or reasons or tips or anything is appreciated!

Space Suicide
05-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Questionario!

Why does my Uncharted 2: Among Thieves keep showing an endless loop of the Phurba Dagger at the initial loading screen? I read up and it stated that it occurs when a corruption is abound. It calls for deleting all updates and saves and re-downloading everything (including the 1.09 patch and every bit of DLC). I can't keep doing that. Any help or reasons or tips or anything is appreciated!

It's the game and it tends to do it, I found out.

What's the deal with the Vita? Any new reviews or experiences from the guys here that own it? I want it but watching videos, gameplay, reading bad reviews and etc make me think it's a better idea to wait for a price drop if I do.

kdrcraig
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
What's the deal with the Vita? Any new reviews or experiences from the guys here that own it? I want it but watching videos, gameplay, reading bad reviews and etc make me think it's a better idea to wait for a price drop if I do.

I like it, it's not the handheld to end all handhelds but it's pretty bad ass. I got it at launch for under $200 cause I had a bunch of Best Buy certificates/gift cards, not sure that I would've dropped the full price on it. Not a ton of good games out for it right now. I played Uncharted Golden Abyss for 5 minutes before I remembered that I don't like those games, it does look amazing for a handheld game though. Unless you really want to play some games that are already out or some that are coming in the near future like Resistance or Gravity Rush(which looks awesome) then I would say waiting for a price drop would probably be a good idea unless you have some money to burn. There are some pretty good PSN games for it though, Plants vs. Zombies and Super Stardust Delta are both awesome, and I've heard Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack and Escape Plan are great but I haven't gotten around to checking them out.

liquidcalm
05-23-2012, 01:54 AM
it has Wipeout on it, which meant for me it was an instant sale.
I've gotten some good play out of it so far, sure there has been bugger released since it launched, but Wipeout, Lumines and Uncharted are all excellent titles. I'll also vouch for Tales From Space and Stardust as those are great too.
Finally, Gravity Rush and Resistance come out next month and both look excellent, Gravity Rush in particular.

Don't pour water on a vita btw, I had to send mine back to Sony tech support with a phone call that went " yeah, it doesn't work anymore " "has it fallen, been dropped or gotten wet?" "... not to my knowledge?" "ok, we'll send a pick up" 3 days later, new Vita comes back, luckily, if you sign in with the same psn ID that is tied to the memory card, you don't have to install everything again and your saves are still there.

Jinsai
05-23-2012, 02:05 AM
I like it, it's not the handheld to end all handhelds but it's pretty bad ass. I got it at launch for under $200 cause I had a bunch of Best Buy certificates/gift cards, not sure that I would've dropped the full price on it. Not a ton of good games out for it right now. I played Uncharted Golden Abyss for 5 minutes before I remembered that I don't like those games, it does look amazing for a handheld game though. Unless you really want to play some games that are already out or some that are coming in the near future like Resistance or Gravity Rush(which looks awesome) then I would say waiting for a price drop would probably be a good idea unless you have some money to burn. There are some pretty good PSN games for it though, Plants vs. Zombies and Super Stardust Delta are both awesome, and I've heard Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack and Escape Plan are great but I haven't gotten around to checking them out.

I like my Vita, but the games I've liked the most on it so far have been Japanese imports. Tales of Innocence R and Ragnarok Odyssey have been a blast.
They'll probably never bring out Tales of Innocence in the US, but Ragnarok Odyssey is coming out in August. Other than that, I've really liked Uncharted, Super Stardust, Tales from Space, and Rayman Origins (which is fantastic on the little screen). The Vita version of Plants VS Zombies is a little frustrating and it glitches out when too many zombies come on the screen (really!!!). I'm trying to get into Ninja Gaiden, and it's been rough. I've been meaning to pick up Disgaea 3 and Escape Plan.

The downsides: You still can't play PS1 classics on it. More than half of the PSP games I'd already bought on the PSN are still not compatible with the Vita. For me these are MAJOR downsides, and if I'd known about this before buying it I might have hesitated. I'm happy I got it either way though, and I've been playing it a lot. Another issue is the button/stick layout. It seems fine for most games, but with playing Ninja Gaiden and Mortal Kombat I've run into some issues... namely that the left analog stick is a little too close to the D-pad, so it gets in the way. This is a big issue for fighting games imo. On that same note, trying to push X and Square together at the same time can prove to be obnoxious because (similarly) the right analog stick gets in the way.

The biggest problem with the Uncharted game is the unnecessary inclusion of EVERY gimmicky feature the Vita has to offer. The motion and touch controls are mostly useless, and it's fine generally because it usually allows you to use the normal button controls. But then, you're constantly running into lame mini"games," like "here dust off this shovel" or "tilt the device so Drake doesn't fall off the log." This kind of shit seriously ruins the momentum of the game, and occasionally it's just frustrating. The game is otherwise great, looks fantastic, but then there's this aspect where it feels like it's a tech demo for the Vita. At least it didn't require you to use those ridiculous AR cards.

Can't wait for Persona 4 Golden to come out, and I'm interested to see how Resistance is, vita Little Big Planet should be great, and Gravity Rush looks amazing. I'll probably pick up the US version of Ragnarok Odyssey when it comes out here, especially if I can sell the JP copy for enough to buy the US one. More games I'm excited about are New Little King's Story, Dragon's Crown, Final Fantasy X HD, Metal Gear Collection, and (eventually) Ys: Celceta no Jukai. I'll probably pick up the new Sly Cooper game for it.

Netflix is nice to have on a portable device, and the screen is great. The AR cards are a terrible idea.

Still, I'm more into niche games than most people. I'm not sure there's as much on there to keep people as occupied. They need to get some more announcements in at E3.

kdrcraig
05-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Oh yeah forgot about Lumines, that shit is awesome. I gotta get back into that game, haven't really played it since I picked up some other games.

Space Suicide
05-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the more insightful news, guys. I mainly want Uncharted: Golden Abyss for it because I love the PS3 counterparts. I'll get one someday but for only wanting one major title thus far it's asinine to get it I'll wait it out.

Jinsai
06-05-2012, 07:14 PM
This is hard to believe... just updated as free downloads for PS+ subscribers:

Infamous 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Little Big Planet 2, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Warhammer Spacemarine, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Hard Corps Uprising (awesome game), Choplifter, Zombie Apocalypse, and Sideway

craziness

bruised
06-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Wow! Too bad I recently bought VF5 for $5.99 haha.

This is hard to believe... just updated as free downloads for PS+ subscribers:

Infamous 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Little Big Planet 2, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Warhammer Spacemarine, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Hard Corps Uprising (awesome game), Choplifter, Zombie Apocalypse, and Sideway

craziness

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Lucky for me, I don't own a single one of those. I love the months where being part of Plus actually pays off. :P Infamous 2 and LBP 2 are actually on my list of things to rent, so that alone is saving me like, $40 bucks - and my 500 GB hard drive still has plenty of space :D

kdrcraig
06-06-2012, 07:01 AM
That's pretty nuts that all of those are free. If I didn't have games sitting around because I don't have the time to play them I'd sign up for PS+ just for this.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Wait a minute, all those games are free? I could've sworn I saw them all on the store last week and they were just discounted for PS+.

All 100% free for PS+. Downloading them all as I type!

kdrcraig
06-06-2012, 07:22 AM
All 100% free for PS+. Downloading them all as I type!

I must've edited my post after you quoted. I went and checked it out, that is an absurd amount of free games. I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my Gamefly and getting PS+. Between the games I have sitting around in my backlog and these free games I would have plenty of shit to do.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-06-2012, 07:31 AM
I guess I did, haha. To be honest, it is a pretty nifty service. Considering I never spend much on games anyway aside from the occasional day-one purchase or Black Friday sale and maybe a couple other buys, it's really cool to get at least 2 or 3 decent games to play (and keep!) every month. But 12? Jesus, they're literally giving those away. Even if you paid for a year subscription right now, you're still saving a TON of cash, just getting this month's freebies. I'll definitely keep this service for a while longer, I think.

kdrcraig
06-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Even if you paid for a year subscription right now, you're still saving a TON of cash, just getting this month's freebies.

That's why I've decided do it, the only one of the free games I've played is inFamous 2. I spend 18 bucks a month on Gamefly so spending $50 once to get all of these free games plus all the free ones in the next year is a no-brainer, fuck Gamefly. I'll just download the ones I'm not gonna play right away and then delete them from my HDD to save space until I get to them, well played Sony.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
No joke. Whoever came up with the idea's a genius, because they're still getting more money from me than they would be without PS+, because I don't think I'd go out and buy any of those titles, just because I've been buying games off and on for so long that I know what I wanna buy and what I should just rent instead. Well played, indeed!

bruised
06-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Lucky for me, I don't own a single one of those - and my 500 GB hard drive still has plenty of space :D
Haha same here, I have a 500 GB too, I dl/ed them all last night, what an awesome deal!

theburningreptile
06-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I got a PS3 a couple of days ago. It has a 160 GB HDD I'm already set up on the playstation network. I have all 3 current systems now. So i'm trying to get the PS3 exclusives. I got the first 2 Uncharted games. Still playing the 1st one, it's amazing. :D Also got Portal 2, which is always fun. What exclusives to the PS3 should I get now? I definitely want to get inFAMOUS.

Space Suicide
06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Killzone series, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, etc.

nemesiswontdie
06-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Killzone, Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain.

liquidcalm
06-19-2012, 02:10 AM
If racing is your thing, Wipeout HD, Motorstorm (Pacific Rift is the best one IMHO).
Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bloated double-album of a cutscene with some fantastic underlaying gameplay. If you liked any of the other MGS games then its at least worth a rent. If not, stay away.
God of War 3 is still eye-melting.
Some excellent games on the network too: Stardust HD, Journey, Flower, Shatter

johnbron
06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Today I traded a co-worker my extra 360 for his extra PS3. I know what exclusive retail games I need to look into buying, but are there any PlayStation Store games I should check out? I've downloaded a bunch of XBLA games that are $15 or less over the years and loved them. Any recommendations are appreciated. I'm new to this Sony thing. I did own a PS2 when they first came out, but that was practically a lifetime ago. <3

Jinsai
06-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Today I traded a co-worker my extra 360 for his extra PS3. I know what exclusive retail games I need to look into buying, but are there any PlayStation Store games I should check out? I've downloaded a bunch of XBLA games that are $15 or less over the years and loved them. Any recommendations are appreciated. I'm new to this Sony thing. I did own a PS2 when they first came out, but that was practically a lifetime ago. <3

Wipeout HD, Flower, Journey, Shatter, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk Eden, Dead Nation, Super Stardust HD, and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 are all worth checking out.

Especially Wipeout (if you like unrealistic racers w/ great graphics and silly/fun soundtracks that are insanely challenging), Shatter (just awesome), and Fat Princess (if you like competitive strategic online play). I have a very soft spot for Super Stardust too...

Also, if you don't have a Wii, the Back to the Future game is awesome imo.

Everyone seems to love Journey and FLower, and while I liked them, it's hard to recommend because they're pretty expensive for the length. Journey can be beaten in a little over 3 hours, but still, it's a completely unique and incredible game.

I would have included Joe Danger, but since that's on 360 now too I guess it doesn't count really right?

I also liked Closure, but I would hesitate to recommend it to people, just because the puzzles are maddeningly difficult at times. But if you're really into both Limbo and Braid, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

liquidcalm
06-20-2012, 02:00 AM
I forgot the Pixeljunk series! Nearly ever one of them is great, especially Monsters, Shooter, Shooter 2 and Eden. Racers is just okay... I would steer clear of 4am unless you want a trippy music visualizer... some interesting ideas though...
I'm also kinda a fan of some HD collections. You can download single games from these at pretty decent prices and they have trophies, mostly decent frame rates.. and look what got announced earlier (http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/06/20/okami-hd-confirmed-will-feature-move-support/)...

Jinsai
06-20-2012, 02:44 AM
look what got announced earlier (http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/06/20/okami-hd-confirmed-will-feature-move-support/)...

Yep... kind of unexpected that this is now my most anticipated game of 2012

spiralout
06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Question: If I subscribe to PS+ and I download a free game, will I still be able to access the game if my subscription runs out? I'm debating whether to subscribe or not because it seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Jinsai
06-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Question: If I subscribe to PS+ and I download a free game, will I still be able to access the game if my subscription runs out? I'm debating whether to subscribe or not because it seems like a pretty sweet deal.

No, if your subscription runs out, you can no longer play the games.

Still, it's completely worth it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Aw, really? I didn't know that part. I just assumed that you could still play even without the subscription. But you're right, it's still a lot cheaper than buying the games themselves. And I'm sure the 2 or 3 years from now I'll have played through them enough that I can part with them and unsubscribe if I need/want to. I don't regret subscribing at all.

spiralout
06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
No, if your subscription runs out, you can no longer play the games.

Still, it's completely worth it.

Thanks for the info, I'll be subscribing definitely before the current line up of free games expire

spiralout
08-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Both of the episodes of the walking dead are free on PS+

Hell yes.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Damn, I need to get on that. I'll gladly pay 5 bucks for each part, but I won't say no to free.

Piko
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Both of the episodes of the walking dead are free on PS+

Hell yes.

Know how big the games are? I'm still with the 40gb one... Plus isn't so ideal with 40gb. Especially when you only have a set amount of space for gaming...

spiralout
08-11-2012, 06:00 PM
ep 1 is listed as 2187 kb and ep2 is listed as 811 mb

Piko
08-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Ah cool. I'll have to check those out then.

Space Suicide
09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
So tomorrow I am going to buy a PS3 game for myself...but what? I'm thinking of one of these:

For value and nostalgia:

Splinter Cell: HD Collection
Prince of Persia HD Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
Jak and Daxter Collection
Ratchet and Clank Collection

or

inFamous 2

Jinsai
09-27-2012, 09:08 PM
So tomorrow I am going to buy a PS3 game for myself...but what? I'm thinking of one of these:

For value and nostalgia:

Splinter Cell: HD Collection
Prince of Persia HD Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
Jak and Daxter Collection
Ratchet and Clank Collection

or

inFamous 2

Well... I think Infamous 2 is still free if you get Playstation +.
Also, I think the Sly Cooper games were borderline free if you have +.
Not sure, you can check in the PS store. You need to renew the subscription fee if you want to be able to keep playing the games, but it's probably worth it considering.

Space Suicide
10-13-2012, 01:32 PM
So my grandparents heard me rambling in the past and as a surprise for an early birthday gift they bought me a WiFi PS Vita! Just got it today.

Excellent!

Such an amazing nice gesture but I have no memory card nor any games so looks like it's a fancy paper weight till I get the money to buy this junk. Such a money pit. Sony couldn't even bother to give even the shittiest built-in memory to do anything.

Jinsai
10-13-2012, 04:19 PM
So my grandparents heard me rambling in the past and as a surprise for an early birthday gift they bought me a WiFi PS Vita! Just got it today.

Excellent!

Such an amazing nice gesture but I have no memory card nor any games so looks like it's a fancy paper weight till I get the money to buy this junk. Such a money pit. Sony couldn't even bother to give even the shittiest built-in memory to do anything.

Yeah... And I would really suggest opting for a large memory card. I have a 16 gig in mine and it's constantly full. The (unacceptable) problem too is that if you want to delete a vita game and back up your save data, at this point it requires you to back the entire game up... You can't just back up the 500k save file onto your computer, no, you have to transfer the 2 gig game file.

That said, I love my vita, and there's some great games for it. Some are free too, so you'll at least get started on those once you get a mem card.

Space Suicide
10-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah... And I would really suggest opting for a large memory card. I have a 16 gig in mine and it's constantly full. The (unacceptable) problem too is that if you want to delete a vita game and back up your save data, at this point it requires you to back the entire game up... You can't just back up the 500k save file onto your computer, no, you have to transfer the 2 gig game file.

That said, I love my vita, and there's some great games for it. Some are free too, so you'll at least get started on those once you get a mem card.

Yeah, I was definitely just going to go all out and get that 16 GB one but as you just confirmed it still seems a little low for memory. Either way this upcoming week I am going to get the 16 GB card and some game, unsure of what. Either way I'm stoked.

I haven't had the time to mess with it outside of setting it up. The user interface and the overall handling is smoother than I thought and expected. The only flaw I might see is the fact the back also has a touch screen (as some have stated).

I flawlessly synced to my PSN account and can view my trophies with no problems as well which is very cool. Easily view what my friends are doing just like on the XBL. The screen's gonna need a protector methinks.

nemesiswontdie
10-20-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm going to be getting a Vita next week. I gotta thank Jinsai for the heads up on the memory card thing. I'm pretty excited to get one. Can't wait to play Persona 4: The Golden.

kdrcraig
11-20-2012, 08:01 AM
There's a new Vita firmware update out that adds PS+ support along with some other updates. Starting today the first free PS+ games for Vita are Uncharted Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, Tales From Space Mutant Blobs Attack(pissed I bought it last month but it was only 4 bucks or something so whatever), Gravity Rush and Jet Set Radio. Also Final Fantasy Tactics is thrown in there but it's not really a Vita game.

Really glad I held off on buying Gravity Rush and the other freebies are pretty awesome. I'll probably stop buying Vita games altogether and just play whatever I get for free from PS+. I've only ever played like 4 of the free PS3 games I've gotten from it so far, too many games too little time.

Space Suicide
11-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Looks like I'll need to boot up my Vita this afternoon then.

nemesiswontdie
11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
I'll have to download Uncharted then when I'm playing Persona 4: The Golden.

Clownboat
11-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm kinda pissed that I bought a Vita. Great system and all, but I haven't used it at all. Anyone interested in buying mine?

Wretchedest
11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
How much? (10 chars)

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
With the new Black Friday Vita bundles, I'm reeeeally tempted to get one. Especially with these games being given away for PS Plus. Almost every one of those games has been on my list to play.

White Vita and Assassin's Creed: Liberation for $200? Fuck. Sign me up.

Wretchedest
11-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes. That vita/acl bundle is really insanely tempting. Ao is the ps3 one...

Speaking of which, my ps2 is next to out of memory... is there anyway to sort my issues out without buying a computer harddrive. Is there a way to expand, or a cloud for dlc or memory i can send to?

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
I think there's a cloud for game saves with PS Plus. And any DLC you downloaded should be tied to your PSN account, so you can re-download it at any time.

If you really wanna take care of it, though, I'd say back all of your game saws up on the PS Plus cloud (you can get a 3-month membership for $18) and buy yourself a new hard drive. I got a 500 GB drive for about $65 and found some really good instructions online. It's actually not as difficult as you might think. I was kinda nervous about it, but it was super easy.

Aaand I think I've decided not to get that Vita bundle. I would, but there are a whole slew of things I can get done with that $200. Besides, I bought up all of the PS Vita games they have up for free for PS Plus members, so at least I have the games. I'll wait until I have a bit more cash and maybe treat myself to a Vita around Christmas.

bruised
11-20-2012, 07:37 PM
I upgraded my HD to a 500GB too over the summer, really easy. All you need is the latest version of the PS software, and to back up your current HD to an external. Then load the PS software file, then your saved data from the external. The copying to the new drive is what takes forever. Also, the new store layout sucks.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-20-2012, 07:48 PM
I wish I was lucky enough to be able to transfer all my old stuff to my new drive. HDD failure. :(

I don't mind the new store layout. Well, parts of it anyway. I like the menues on the left side of the window, but everything else is pretty cluttered and slow.

bruised
11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Ah man, that sucks. Luckily I had an external laying around, and was able to back up to that. I totally agree with you on the store, side menus are great, but the rest is terrible. Picked up Resident Evil 5 for free thanks to PS+ while typing this :)

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I love PS Plus. I just can't wait to see the inevitable Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals they're gonna have. I'm gonna buy the shit out of their Classics.

bruised
11-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Will they do that? I can't remember if they did last year (I've had it since they rolled it out, and love it too).

Jinsai
11-20-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm kinda pissed that I bought a Vita. Great system and all, but I haven't used it at all. Anyone interested in buying mine?

I can understand your frustration. If I wasn't able to import games from Japan and play those, the thing would have been sitting on my shelf for a while there.

Still, before you sell it, seriously consider playing Persona 4: The Golden first
The general consensus is that this is the best version of what is probably one of the best Japanese RPGs ever made. Even if the system completely bombs, it might have been worth owning just to play through this game.

nemesiswontdie
11-21-2012, 06:26 AM
I can understand your frustration. If I wasn't able to import games from Japan and play those, the thing would have been sitting on my shelf for a while there.

Still, before you sell it, seriously consider playing Persona 4: The Golden first
The general consensus is that this is the best version of what is probably one of the best Japanese RPGs ever made. Even if the system completely bombs, it might have been worth owning just to play through this game.

Completely agreed.

Not just coming from being a fanboy of Persona 3 and 4, but P4G is seriously awesome as fuck. I'm having a blast with it. All the new stuff they added in plus keeping everything from the original from the PS2 makes it worth it all.

I highly recommend Persona 4: Golden.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Gaaaah. You guys! Making it hard to resist that Vita bundle! ;P

Oh yeah! Hey Nemesis (And anyone else who's interested!). Guess who finally has a PS3 connected to the internet all the time? Add me and we can play some stuff sometime! ImTheWiseJanitor.

nemesiswontdie
11-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Gaaaah. You guys! Making it hard to resist that Vita bundle! ;P

Oh yeah! Hey Nemesis (And anyone else who's interested!). Guess who finally has a PS3 connected to the internet all the time? Add me and we can play some stuff sometime! ImTheWiseJanitor.

I sent ya a friend request awhile ago.

Wretchedest
11-22-2012, 02:17 AM
vita finally does have enough stuff to make me want it.

Any one else get All-Stars? Lots of fun!

Jinsai
11-22-2012, 03:41 AM

Funny enough, the only reason I'm thinking of getting this game is because it runs dual on my vita. Finally, a new game does this.
Considering that I'm watching this system die (hopefully not?), I'm actually down to buy the one game that it came around promising it would do.

But the game is actually fun and good? Fuck it... I'm on board.

Wretchedest
11-24-2012, 12:44 AM
I got a Vita and the playstation bundle during this whole Black Friday Shindig...

memory transfer was easy, but long.

Vita might end up being one of my all time favorite game machines. Powerful, easy to use, and lots of great games.... Why is this thing a sinking ship. If it does indeed fail, it will be a real tragedy.

Plus got me Gravity Rush for free, and that game is a blast. Great atmosphere, good story, a stand out for the year.

Space Suicide
11-24-2012, 06:06 PM

I'm tempted to get it as well, even though it's merely a Super Smash Bros. rip-off/clone.

dominik
12-10-2012, 05:53 AM
http://youtu.be/oMRmuNcr6iU

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm SO glad this is on PS3.

I don't mean I'm glad it's an exclusive, because I want everyone to be able to play it, but I'd be super butthurt if this wasn't gonna be releasd on PS3. :P This'll definitely hold us over until the next Uncharted game comes out.

liquidcalm
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
looks well good. Last massive game of this console cycle? Maybeeee

october_midnight
01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
SONY to make 'big announcement' on Feb. 20 at 3pm PST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFNLZmt_kk

Space Suicide
01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
New Console or a Revamped Network, I'm calling it.

Piko
01-31-2013, 05:58 PM
I really have a hard time believing PS4. Doesn't seem like they need to. They're already way ahead, tech wise. A Vita price drop would be pretty nifty though.

kdrcraig
01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Pretty sure Sony said they're going to wait for Microsoft to make an announcement about the next XBOX before they even say anything concrete. It will probably just be some more bullshit that Sony thinks is awesome but nobody actually cares about. Their marketing is god awful.

Jinsai
02-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't be surprised for it to be a PS4 announcement.

1. It's not a Vita price cut. You don't make a cg WOOSH WAH BLAAAAAAAH! teaser for a price cut

2. It's probably not a game, because you don't make a teaser for a game that just teases your brand logo.

3. It's actually the exact right time really. The PS1 came out in 1994 (95 in the US), the PS2 came out in 2000, the PS3 came out in 2006. They're not going to release it a week after the announcement, so to start hype about now makes perfect sense.

4. With regards to whatever they said about waiting for Microsoft to make an announcement... Sony is obviously playing chicken with their reveal. Neither side wants to show their hand to the public until they're sure they're on top. Saying "we're waiting for MS to say something" is a PR way of goading MS into a reveal.

5. Some specs for Sony's next gen system have been leaked recently, including info on dev kits. Unlike most of these leaks, this seems somewhat genuine. Who knows. Either way, there's no way that Sony isn't developing software for their next gen system at the moment. If the correct info has leaked, they might be just saying "fuckit" and making a big announcement.

6. This could also be another fake out to try to get Microsoft to make an announcement.

I'm expecting them to say "PS4 in time for Xmas 2013"
I'm also expecting them to list a new Uncharted game as a launch day game.

I don't expect them to talk about Final Fantasy Versus, but if I were to be optimistic, they would finally reveal that it is now a PS4 (or Orbitz or whatever) game... along with some BS about how the game proved to be too awesome for the PS3 to handle. This would actually make perfect sense as to why the game has completely blipped off the radar for the past 2 years, with Square/Enix being hesitant to even talk about it. Really though, all I care about is that I finally get to play FFVersus, which at this point I want to see come to light much more than even a remake of FFVII (or any other game), because it was looking like it was going to be the best game ever made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8

I know I love the JRPGs a little too much, but if this was updated w/ nextish gen graphics, and a launch title, I'd buy the PS4 on day one.

Also, to reiterate the timing point (and drop my personal hope for a moment), it makes too much sense (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/01/us-sony-playstation-meeting-idUSBRE91007O20130201)
I would bet money it's a new system announcement... though I'd expect them to not announce the definite price or release date outside of a general "pre-holiday season" window

thelastdisciple
02-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Would they actually have enough time to market the console though and make sure they've really pushed the thing internationally? obviously they've had a lot of time to move things along and obviously technology has come a long way so it isn't going to take too long for development but look at the PS3 it was announced when... at a May 2005 E3? and it didn't even come out til Fall 2006? similarly with the PS2 it took them a full 12 months to push that thing out after first announcing it.

I don't know about them having it ready in time for the fall of this year even if they did announce it now, these things are such massive business ventures with a lot of marketing involved.. i would think they'd need maybe more than 8 months to really reel everybody in and make sure it's a done deal, they need to make sure so many things are in the right places.

Even still granted what i said about how far things have come technologically.

Maybe I'll be surprised.

RJK
02-01-2013, 06:04 AM
The Wall Street Journal says PS4.

http://m.kotaku.com/5980781/report-sony-will-indeed-announce-the-next-playstation-on-february-20

Space Suicide
02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
If that's the case then I guess my PS3 and 360 will be outdated and irrelevant in the next year and a half.

I hate console upgrading! Took me forever to get my 360 and PS3 to begin with.

kdrcraig
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm really wondering what the price on these new systems is going to be, I imagine it won't be good. I definitely won't upgrade to the next Xbox until all my friends that I play online with do, PS4 will probably be a different story if some release titles are series that I play which I'd imagine is a sure thing

RJK
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
I think they'd be crazy to launch the PS4 at the same price they did the PS3 but you never know.

kdrcraig
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
That would be crazy, but this is Sony, they don't tend to learn from their mistakes.

RJK
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
That would be crazy, but this is Sony, they don't tend to learn from their mistakes.

They did launch the very powerful Vita at a respectable price.

thelastdisciple
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
If that's the case then I guess my PS3 and 360 will be outdated and irrelevant in the next year and a half.

I hate console upgrading! Took me forever to get my 360 and PS3 to begin with.
I hear you man, I'm always late to the party.

I didn't get my first "next-gen" console until about 4 years in to the PS3's run, damn things they were always so fucking expensive. So now i haven't really had as much time with it as everyone else and now they're going to stop making games for it once the PS4 comes out and I'll be screwed once again for any new games I'm interested in and will probably have to wait until half the gen has already passed by and it'll be the same thing all over again.....

Never fucking fails......

Jinsai
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I hear you man, I'm always late to the party.

I didn't get my first "next-gen" console until about 4 years in to the PS3's run, damn things they were always so fucking expensive. So now i haven't really had as much time with it as everyone else and now they're going to stop making games for it once the PS4 comes out and I'll be screwed once again for any new games I'm interested in and will probably have to wait until half the gen has already passed by and it'll be the same thing all over again.....

Never fucking fails......

Well, look on the bright side. You get to buy the system for a fraction of the price that the new adopters do, and you get access to the entire library at a discounted price in the "greatest hits" edition. Also, new software for the PS3 will still be around for a couple more years at least.

but yeah, if Sony's lineup is anything to go by, they're cutting it off after The Last of Us and Beyond. I wonder whatever happened to The Last Guardian? Maybe that's also been shifted to PS4 development.

october_midnight
02-14-2013, 02:37 PM
While of course it could still change a bit, an apparently very real PS4 prototype controller has been photographed.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18enam1jlakm2jpg/xlarge.jpg

Jinsai
02-14-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't know... it's possible it's a prototype, but there's no way it'll be launched looking like that. The ridges on the analog sticks would definitely be an improvement though. the thing that makes me the most skeptical though is the touchscreen in the middle. Maybe it's just because that's nothing like what I expected, but I don't see how that could be very useful at all?

october_midnight
02-14-2013, 06:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9t7BIBi.gif

Piko
02-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Looks very retro.

Madmya
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
I can't stand the dual shock. Avoiding for another gen.

Jinsai
02-14-2013, 11:51 PM
I can't stand the dual shock. Avoiding for another gen.

Maybe it's just because I'm so used to it, but I don't get what people have such a hard time with. Once upon a time, I managed to get by w/ the N64 controller, and if I can manage on that, I can make do with anything.

Looks very retro.

If it's real, the look is an unrefined prototype. The final version will be spiffed up and less game-gear looking.

liquidcalm
02-15-2013, 02:14 AM
I kinda like the way it looks, a bit of spit and polish wouldn't be too bad, and you can't see the back, which is where most of the ergonomics are required. I remember when everyone shat themselves over the Wii U touch pad saying it was just too big, and it turns out its really nice to hold. so yeah.. I reserve judgement, I've been using a dual shock style controller since Ape Escape, a subtle change like this might be good, or I could pick it up and go 'ewww!' and throw it to the ground.

Jinsai
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
it's weird how it looks so much cooler from a slightly different angle

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2013/02/ps4-controller.jpg

Iran_Ed
02-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Well, look on the bright side. You get to buy the system for a fraction of the price that the new adopters do, and you get access to the entire library at a discounted price in the "greatest hits" edition. Also, new software for the PS3 will still be around for a couple more years at least.

but yeah, if Sony's lineup is anything to go by, they're cutting it off after The Last of Us and Beyond. I wonder whatever happened to The Last Guardian? Maybe that's also been shifted to PS4 development.

“I should also mention that details regarding The Last Guardian‘s release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement.” - Fumito Ueda former head of Team ICO

There's a rumor going around that it's a PS4 launch title. If that's true I'm glad it's not lost, but I'm not ready to invest in a new console yet.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
it's weird how it looks so much cooler from a slightly different angle

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2013/02/ps4-controller.jpg

Wow, it really does. Looks a lot more sleek.. and I didn't even notice the speaker holes under the screen?

Jinsai
02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Wow, it really does. Looks a lot more sleek.. and I didn't even notice the speaker holes under the screen?

Also mystery headphone jack...

Madmya
02-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Talk about backwards compatibility of PS3 games and Last Guardian being a launch title have me interested again. I'd like to see what MS have to offer, but talk is power/grunt is being compromised to support other non-game related things. I'll have to wait and see if these 'things' are awesome or dud.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Also mystery headphone jack...

Ahh, I see I see. Interesting that they would put a jack on there since everything is wireless obviously. I wonder if it is a standard size jack?

Jinsai
02-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Ahh, I see I see. Interesting that they would put a jack on there since everything is wireless obviously. I wonder if it is a standard size jack?

Yeah, I don't know... if I were to make a guess, the headphone jack is for headphones, and that grill that looks like a little speaker is actually a microphone? building a headset into ever controller would be a good way to reverse the trend of people on PSN commonly not having headsets.

Whether or not that's a good thing though...
Also, how much is one of these things going to cost?! standard dual shock controller + PS Move sensor + touchpad + possible microphone?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I don't know... if I were to make a guess, the headphone jack is for headphones, and that grill that looks like a little speaker is actually a microphone? building a headset into ever controller would be a good way to reverse the trend of people on PSN commonly not having headsets.

Whether or not that's a good thing though...
Also, how much is one of these things going to cost?! standard dual shock controller + PS Move sensor + touchpad + possible microphone?

I would guess headphones as well. Maybe there will be a way to access the music library one would have from the PS to the controller itself.. maybe even a playback function through the speaker? Also maybe for certain games it might have some functionality with the speaker and the game. Hopefully the announcement will have some more answers.

And the cost I don't even want to think about. Since the DS3 goes for about 50 bucks.. I can see these costing easily $100.00. But what about games?

profane
02-17-2013, 07:43 AM
I want the PS1 boot screen back. That was like magic!

http://youtu.be/OIx-e07PmyM

Space Suicide
02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Truly identifiable and classic. I knew I was playing PS when I heard the sound of the PS Logo splayed across the screen.

Jinsai
02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
yeah, I was never really a fan of the "tuning orchestra" load opening for the PS3.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Nostalgia at it's finest. It brings me back to putting in my very first PS game which was Crash Bandicoot; Along with Twisted Metal and Jet Moto haha.

Space Suicide
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Nostalgia at it's finest. It brings me back to putting in my very first PS game which was Crash Bandicoot; Along with Twisted Metal and Jet Moto haha.

Is it bad I still have all three of those games in physical form? Except I have Jet Moto 2.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Is it bad I still have all three of those games in physical form? Except I have Jet Moto 2.

Not at all. I actually envy you for still having them since I sold all of my old hardware years ago. I also remember those three games being greatest hits soon after the time they came out? Unless I am remembering wrong.

Ha!

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/9/8/6/196986_71203_front.jpg

liquidcalm
02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
I got my psx at christmas 1997.. with Micro Machines v3 and Crash Bandicoot 2.. I still play both fairly regularly.. admittedly v3 on the n64 and Crash 2 via the PS-store... I loved that system to death (to the point where it had to be upside-down and smacked before it would load anything).. what a console. Got a PS2 on launch day in the UK too, with Timesplitters and Dead or Alive 2, again.. classic stuff but I have to say aside from titles that have had the HD remake treatment, it doesn't get much love, mostly because a lot of the games I still own are massive JRPGs I know my wife and I will never finish..

october_midnight
02-19-2013, 04:24 PM
New PS4 article with a bunch of new info. (http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the-ps4-will-be-out-this-november-and-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Big points:

- November 2013 release all but confirmed.
- Two models planned for the new machine, pricing won't be announced until later this year, possibly around E3. $429 and $529, but that could change.
- You'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine.
- "Most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.
- PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

Wretchedest
02-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Being that we pretty much know everything about this thing already i really hope we get to see the next gen games tomorrow. Based on rumors this might be the only next gen console i get...

Jinsai
02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing

no fucking thank you

frankie teardrop
02-19-2013, 04:42 PM
yeah that's just bizarre on so many levels.

Jinsai
02-19-2013, 04:58 PM
and screw making basic online play require a paid subscription. Fuck you Microsoft for setting that precedent, and fuck you Sony for jumping on board. I subscribe to PS+ because it's worth it, not because my system is gimped without it.

I'm really hoping this recent info turns out to be false. I guess we'll find out tomorrow

Wretchedest
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Hmm... its probably not as creepy as it sounds. So far rumors imply this thing is so much less orwellian than its microsoft counterpart.

It reads like you log in and have the option if watching me play Ni No kuni with my balls hanging out, but its probably just a feed of the game. Its probably consensual too...

Jinsai
02-19-2013, 05:02 PM
"I can't wait to control my playstation with my phone!" said nobody ever.

Hmm... its probably not as creepy as it sounds. So far rumors imply this thing is so much less orwellian than its microsoft counterpart.

It reads like you log in and have the option if watching me play Ni No kuni with my balls hanging out, but its probably just a feed of the game. Its probably consensual too...

I'm sure you can opt out of it, it just sounds incredibly misguided and pointless.

thelastdisciple
02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
"I can't wait to control my playstation with my phone!" said nobody ever.

I'm sure you can opt out of it, it just sounds incredibly misguided and pointless.
Wouldn't it be more akin to watching a "Let's Play" walkthrough in a way though? i mean if it was planned and your buddy just said start watching my stream now to check such and such out and maybe you could also hear their commentary.

It could be an interesting feature if implemented right.

Jinsai
02-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't it be more akin to watching a "Let's Play" walkthrough in a way though? i mean if it was planned and your buddy just said start watching my stream now to check such and such out and maybe you could also hear their commentary.

It could be an interesting feature if implemented right.

Sure. I've definitely been very wrong about this sort of thing in the past, so maybe it'll turn out to be more interesting and useful than it seems.

I'm more concerned about the subscription requirement for online (if that turns out to be the case). I'd pay for it, and I guess I already am in a way because I already subscribe to PLUS, but I know that some of my friends are NOT going to go along with it, and I'll basically just have fewer people to play with.

Maury
02-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah I'm not going to pay for an online play service, I've already started my transition to PC gaming, if these details are true that's just going to further cement that I won't be buying this system.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-19-2013, 07:06 PM
I really hope it doesn't come down to having to pay for online services from now on. This alone is one of the top two reasons anyone even buys a PS3 to begin with including myself so if Sony goes through with this they might as well give up the race now.

Conan The Barbarian
02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't understand why not paying a cheap yearly subscription fee is such a hassle to the PS community.

I always thought the ps3 online was complete trash compared to Xbox. You got what you paid for.

I'm all for a subscription plan if that is what it takes for the PlayStation to finally have a great online experience.

thelastdisciple
02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
It's just never made sense to me, I'm already paying a fucking monthly $60 bill for the internet..... to do it TWICE just to unlock the ability to use the SAME fucking internet connection that I'm already paying for is ridiculous.

Could imagine constantly paying to unlock Steam every so many months or what have you....for use toward your games, an application that uses an existing connection on a PC THAT YOU'RE ALREADY FUCKING PAYING FOR?

I will never support such bullshit.

Just wait till consoles start to have activation and hidden fees like cell phones, i will unsub from everything if that happens. Corporate greed, that's all it is.

The Becoming
02-19-2013, 09:58 PM
It's just never made sense to me, I'm already paying a fucking monthly $60 bill for the internet..... to do it TWICE just to unlock the ability to use the SAME fucking internet connection that I'm already paying for is ridiculous.

Could imagine constantly paying to unlock Steam every so many months or what have you....for use toward your games, an application that uses an existing connection on a PC THAT YOU'RE ALREADY FUCKING PAYING FOR?

I will never support such bullshit.

Just wait till consoles start to have activation and hidden fees like cell phones, i will unsub from everything if that happens. Corporate greed, that's all it is.

Yeah, because fuck a business for trying to make money. Speak with your wallet if it upsets you this much.

Hopefully current PS Plus subscriptions will just roll over if they do decide to charge for online.

Jinsai
02-19-2013, 10:04 PM
I always thought the ps3 online was complete trash compared to Xbox. You got what you paid for.

People say this sort of thing, and I have no idea what they're talking about. The PS3's online is fine, and aside from that one time that hackers took it down for a while, I've never really had a problem.

How exactly is PSN trash?

Besides, there's no guarantee that the profits from a subscription service would necessarily be directed towards improving the online network. Sony could very well pocket the profits and redirect it to a completely different department. Even if you think Xbox Live is better than PSN, you can't really justify the claim that it's because they charge for it. You don't have to pay to play online on your PC, so is it therefore "trash?" It's business, and I understand that. I'll pay to play online if I have to, but I sure as hell am not going to be happy about it or try to justify why that's a good thing for me for some reason.

thelastdisciple
02-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Yeah, because fuck a business for trying to make money.
I'm sorry did i not just buy their $600 fucking device to begin with?

I swear people have this masochistic nature toward being milked for every dime they have and don't believe in standing up for anything.

You want to continue to see bullshit like on-disc DLC and shady practices of that nature then be my guest, continue paying into the system and see where it gets you.

The Becoming
02-20-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry did i not just buy their $600 fucking device to begin with?

I swear people have this masochistic nature toward being milked for every dime they have and don't believe in standing up for anything.

You want to continue to see bullshit like on-disc DLC and shady practices of that nature then be my guest, continue paying into the system and see where it gets you.

I'll be completely honest with you, money is not an issue with me when it comes to console gaming. I've never had an issue with Sony and their business practices. I understand fully that people are tight on cash these days. I was there at one point, but Sony doesn't owe you or me a damn thing. Like I said before, if you're upset by this, speak with your wallet. The only way to be heard is by doing just that.

thelastdisciple
02-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Regardless, Robin Hood must have took a trek through Sony.. just got a free $10 voucher. Most likely due to tomorrow's announcement.

Anyone else?

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/18ves7/sony_just_sent_me_10_store_credit_for_the_psn/

Jinsai
02-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Having a free online network should be a thing that everyone likes... especially because having a functioning online network is essential to your system being something that people want to buy (with money).

Here's the problem. Sony probably would have held to that "free is a good thing" business model if the Microsoft fans didn't try to justify paying for it. It blows my fucking mind, and I'm still waiting to hear why "PSN is trash." However, Microsoft somehow proved that not only could they charge people a monthly fee, but their users would exhibit gratitude for it and claim it's the reason their online service is better. MEANWHILE THEY NEVER EXPLAIN EXACTLY HOW THE SERVICE IS BETTER BECAUSE IT REALLY ISN'T. IT'S THE SAME SHIT. Do you people honestly think Sony has not put tons of money into how to compete with Xbox Live? Do you REALLY think they require money from a monthly subscription in order to justify making their online network competitive?

And here we go, the new lame version of the PSN store. It sucks and everyone hates it, but whatever, it's not worth getting excited about... right? but it looks more like Xbox LIve, and it has just as many ads! Thanks a lot guys!

People say things like "dude, Xbox Live is so much better because I pay for it" and astonishingly, this form of discourse isn't laughed at. I don't get lag, I have never had matches or games disconnect. What are you people talking about?! PSN is fine, and it's free. Free is better than paying, so please explain why what you're paying for is so much better, and for the the love of whatever, be specific, because I'm sick of seeing people say "it just is." And yes, I get what I pay for, and I paid for the system, so I get online gameplay, which is dependent mostly upon the servers for the games, and I'm ok with not paying for that because it makes complete sense. The companies that choose to close their online servers for their games don't keep the Xbox ones online.

Please STOP defending Microsoft here. You guys are fucking it up for the rest of us.

nemesiswontdie
02-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Having a free online network should be a thing that everyone likes... especially because having a functioning online network is essential to your system being something that people want to buy (with money).

Here's the problem. Sony probably would have held to that "free is a good thing" business model if the Microsoft fans didn't try to justify paying for it. It blows my fucking mind, and I'm still waiting to hear why "PSN is trash." However, Microsoft somehow proved that not only could they charge people a monthly fee, but their users would exhibit gratitude for it and claim it's the reason their online service is better. MEANWHILE THEY NEVER EXPLAIN EXACTLY HOW THE SERVICE IS BETTER BECAUSE IT REALLY ISN'T. IT'S THE SAME SHIT. Do you people honestly think Sony has not put tons of money into how to compete with Xbox Live? Do you REALLY think they require money from a monthly subscription in order to justify making their online network competitive?

And here we go, the new lame version of the PSN store, that sucks and everyone hates it, but whatever, it's not worth getting excited about... but it looks more like Xbox LIve, and it has just as much ads! Thanks a lot guys!

People say things like "dude, Xbox Live is so much better because I pay for it" and astonishingly, this form of discourse isn't laughed at. I don't get lag, I have never had matches or games disconnect. What are you people talking about?! PSN is fine, and it's free. Free is better than paying, so please explain why what you're paying for is so much better, and for the the love of whatever, be specific, because I'm sick of seeing people say "it just is." And yes, I get what I pay for, and I paid for the system, so I get online gameplay, which is dependent mostly upon the servers for the games, and I'm ok with not paying for that because it makes complete sense. The companies that choose to close their online servers for their games don't keep the Xbox ones online.

Please STOP defending Microsoft here. You guys are fucking it up for the rest of us.

Agree with all of this.

I really dont want to pay for online, especially one that shows basically no fucking difference whatsoever. You know how to not get lag and drop matches on PSN? Get good internet.

I pay for enough [expensive] shit as it is. The console itself, plus an extra controller which is $65, then the games themselves which is another $65. I really shouldn't have to pay for online.

Regardless, Robin Hood must have took a trek through Sony.. just got a free $10 voucher. Most likely due to tomorrow's announcement.

Anyone else?

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/18ves7/sony_just_sent_me_10_store_credit_for_the_psn/

I just logged onto my PS3 just a few minutes ago and got a message from Sony giving me $10. Cool shit.

Maury
02-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Yeah, uh, I've played a good chunk of online games on the PS3 and have had little to no issue. Also, I don't have to pay to have Netflix on my TV with the PS3, which I would have to with an XBox. There's pretty much no sensible rationalization for XBox live. These companies are already making billions on us, and paying shit minimum wage or less to chinese workers to make their parts, you can't logically justify it.

thelastdisciple
02-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Yeah, uh, I've played a good chunk of online games on the PS3 and have had little to no issue. Also, I don't have to pay to have Netflix on my TV with the PS3, which I would have to with an XBox. There's pretty much no sensible rationalization for XBox live. These companies are already making billions on us, and paying shit minimum wage or less to chinese workers to make their parts, you can't logically justify it.
Exactly i mean don't get me wrong, I'm not some brat that thinks they're entitled to everything under the sun but i like things reasonable for the average being and i am morally for everyone getting their due, everyone needs to eat but these corporations have been in the game god damn long enough, I'm pretty sure they can afford to pay their workers and make sure those under their employment are satisfied it's absolutely no excuse, it shouldn't ALWAYS have to be up to us especially when businesses like these clearly have a lot of show for themselves. Anything else is just plain greed.

liquidcalm
02-20-2013, 03:00 AM
I barely play online games at all.. a few co-op ones now n then, but competative multiplayer just does not do it for me most of the time.. I pay for Plus as its a great great service, not just for the 'free' games (that I rarely play) but more for the cloud storage on Vita and PS3. If they keep plus the way it is, but roll in more features, I can't see how that is bad, particularly with all the 'cloud streaming' gaikai stuff thats been rumored But thats exactly what these things are, rumors, sure some may be right, but take most things with a pinch of salt until tonight.
In other news, I'm totally pumped to see some GAMES tonight. subscription or not, its the games I'll wanna play, not the hardware.

thelastdisciple
02-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Hold on to your butts - http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/psmeeting/live.html

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 05:05 PM
oh man this multicam editor is a fucking jackass. Cutting to multiple angles of the screen during the video presentation, THAT'S WHAT WE WANT TO SEE. wtf?

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
The PS4 will 'learn about the user'...I can't wait for a sea of people looking for a horror game and having it recommend Peggle 3.

Maury
02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
fucking buffering :|

Tums206_BFY
02-20-2013, 05:35 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415654,00.asp Pretty good feed of the event

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 05:37 PM
The PS4 will allow your friends to post messages on your screen while you play. Can't wait for the first 'DUDE U R GAY' during a boss fight...

Jinsai
02-20-2013, 05:39 PM
have they shown any games besides that one called Knack? I mean, it looks cute and all, but when the guy said it was "using the full graphical power of the PS4" I wanted to laugh.

Iran_Ed
02-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Looks like gamers are going to have to take out a loan to afford this.

Space Suicide
02-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Looks like gamers are going to have to take out a loan to afford this.

Agreed. I really can't stand that new consoles are being made. It took me years to get PS3 and later on Xbox, 2009 and 2010 respectively. Now it's time to be outdated yet again. Ugh. I was becoming relevant too.

Jinsai
02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
hahahaha... I loved how the guy was all serious and dramatic about his game.. "the US government is monitoring your every move, we are not free... but what... what if... people developed super powers?!"

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah they're getting a bit overdramatic for my tastes...

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
I was actually half expecting to see infamous here, its been so long since we heard from it...

so far it looks good. I like how it can broadcast to the vita, and the graphics look pretty intense, especially keeping in mind this is the first wave of games.

The social element is... whatever... but its not what I'm looking at here. But Gaikai looks like it can bring something nice.

I'm glad they're really putting it all on the table here.

*edit*
dude quantic dream's graphics engine. that's just fucking nuts...

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Sweet, it's Riff Raff from Rocky Horror!

Iran_Ed
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry I don't like David Cage and his brand of emotion. He's not making games, he's making movies you can control. There's a difference.

Jinsai
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
what the hell is going on?!

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
'You can record your dreams.' So apparently the PS4 will make Olivia Wilde and Anna Torv show up at my place with a few bottles of pinot noir? YOU WIN, SONY. YOU WIN.

sentient02970
02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
I haven't been impressed by anything yet.

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Not even the panty raid engine?

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
dude panty raid engine was definitely the most impressive part. that was nuts.

*edit

second best,
I'm also digging the ridiculously heavy japanese accents. What's that square enix? What the fuck are you saying?

Jinsai
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Square Enix... you bastards

Seriously, what the hell was that? Here's a CG movie that's been shown before, but it's not related to a game project at all... oh, and by the way, we brought out a guy to tell you that something related to Final Fantasy is in development, but we're not going to say what. Great. Given that you just paraded out a video you've already revealed before, maybe you'll surprise the world by announcing that the mystery Final Fantasy game is... Final Fantasy 14!

Whatever.

At this point, they're running out of time to reveal The Last Guardian, the rumored new God of War game, or even what the system looks like, what it will cost, and whether or not the online play is going to require a subscription service.

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
This Watch Dogs presenter is the bad guy in the next Seagal movie.

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Holy shit watch dogs looks unbelievable.

Iran_Ed
02-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Blizzard, I just threw a chair!

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Square was actually kind of sad.... they showed the same e3 demo and then mumble... "next time" incoherently.

Watch Dogs graphics wise looks like more a bridge when compared to the capcom and quantic dream stuff. I like it though. Like a modern set assasins creed. I'm sure it will be fun.

Blizzard is talking about Diablo 3? Fuck off?

Iran_Ed
02-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Plot twist the controller is the console and everything is downloadable.

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 07:05 PM
No box... wtf?

Jinsai
02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
no details on what it actually looks like or what it will cost. No news about FF Versus or The Last Guardian. No Uncharted. no backwards compatibility (outside of gaikai streaming?!)

But oh boy, there's a port of Diablo III? Consider me disappointed.

dominik
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't know but when you announce a new console shouldn't you at least show it?

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 07:11 PM
the fact that we don't know what it looks like might mean its download only for games, meaning that the thing might not have a disc drive...

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Diablo III was the biggest WTF moment. Of course there is Square disappointing fans once more, but I was kind of expecting that.

The coolest aspect of the system so far I think is when you are downloading a game, you can start playing it as it is downloading, and of course the new Vita streaming is sweet.

And that Capcom game? Shit that was some awesome stuff. The only thing is, what games of these are actually exclusive??

I would also like to see the console god dammit.

liquidcalm
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Its got some games, thats always good. Will run Unreal Engine 4 etc... Capcoms thing looked awesome.. Watchdogs still looks good... Square Enix... lets not talk about them.. But yeah.. streaming to the Vita will be pretty good if they get it right, I've wanted remote play to work properly forever and Gaikai ran really well on my PC when they were demoing things. Oh and inFamous. That looked sweet. Apparently in Killzone you shoot stuff.
So. Its a potential yes from me. The controller looks good.. not too sure about the cameras but hey, if thats the standard.. I'm guessing they are saving the hardware/price reveal for e3. If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg then I'm game. I'm guessing they want Microsoft to now make their move and see how they respond.

slave2thewage
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
The idea of a console without a disc drive feels... odd.

Maury
02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Eh with the way Sony is behind the blu-ray thing I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a disc drive.

I think the most exciting prospect about the system that I heard was the ability to just press the power button to get back into a game and not have to wait through load times. I want to see the Watch Dogs footage, my browser wonked out when they were showing it so I missed it.

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm sold just based on InFamous... some of my favorite games... but I'm going to miss Cole. a lot. The fact that InFamous and Watch Dogs were the highlights doesn't surprise me. In the span of a console generation there will be lots of games and to see 2 - 3 that I like before the thing is out is relatively promising...

That capcom game that blatantly rips off dark souls really sold the graphics too.

Iran_Ed
02-20-2013, 07:30 PM
For me personally I'll be 24 next month. I didn't get my PS3 till 2009, and after I got all the games I really truly wanted everything else was a letdown. Until something just blows me away this current generation just might be my last. Watch_Dogs looks nice, but that's not worth the price of a console Sony or Microsoft.

Edit: Watch_Dog is for everything 360, PS3, Wii U and PS4.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-20-2013, 07:57 PM
For me personally I'll be 24 next month. I didn't get my PS3 till 2009, and after I got all the games I really truly wanted everything else was a letdown. Until something just blows me away this current generation just might be my last. Watch_Dogs looks nice, but that's not worth the price of a console Sony or Microsoft.

Edit: Watch_Dog is for everything 360, PS3, Wii U and PS4.

So because nothing blew you away in their first announcement of the system, you are contemplating throwing games out all together? Everything looked great, and these are only demos/techdemos.. this is just a tip of what we will see to come in the near future. Once the developers find a way over the years to utilize the systems full power, we will get even better games than what they are showing us now.

My favorite happened to be The Witness. It reminds me of a Flower, or Journey type game.

sentient02970
02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I also liked and was looking forward to The Witness (edit: it reminded me of Myst). Although it's disappointing it's only going to end up on PS4 console. I'm not real thrilled by what I saw (so far) with PS4. It felt like this "event" jumped the gun a bit as I don't think I'm getting the full picture of what this next console can really do. To be fair, it is really just an announcement and not a run down of full capability. I'm not closing judgment yet.

Maury
02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
specs

http://i.imgur.com/GnZ3Hdq.png

Yeah so it is going to have a disc drive.

Iran_Ed
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
So because nothing blew you away in their first announcement of the system, you are contemplating throwing games out all together? Everything looked great, and these are only demos/techdemos.. this is just a tip of what we will see to come in the near future. Once the developers find a way over the years to utilize the systems full power, we will get even better games than what they are showing us now.

My favorite happened to be The Witness. It reminds me of a Flower, or Journey type game.

No, I mean gaming in general. It just doesn't excite me the way it used to. Blockbuster games and and most disc based game aren't my type. The uprising of downloadable indie games in the last few years has been wonderful for me. Journey last year was the type of game I've always wanted to play since I was a child. You should find that thread and read about the 10 minute sob fest I had after I played it. I can't justify buying a new console just to play downloaded games. The only known thing on the horizon I have any interest in is The Last Guardian and that's in limbo. I'll buy a PS4 for that experience, but not at whatever the launch price could end up being. I might just buy a Vita and be done with it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-20-2013, 08:47 PM
specs

http://i.imgur.com/GnZ3Hdq.png

Yeah so it is going to have a disc drive.

Where did this come from?

Piko
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
They would be insane not to include a disc drive. Gamestop would take a massive hit, and I don't see them doing that. I gotta say, I'm pretty lukewarm about the whole thing. Watch dogs looks amazing though. I kinda wish they would've divulged a bit more, like a price tag.

I'm on the fence. Can you even pre order/reserve consoles? I was originally saying "hell no". But after some of the videos, I changed my tune, a little. I need more facts before considering throwing out all that money.

Iran_Ed
02-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Gamestop would take a massive hit, and I don't see them doing that

Gamestop and used games are in gaming company's cross-hairs. To be destroyed at any cost.

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 09:06 PM
If im not mistaken, this makes the machine 32 times more powerful than ps3? Before setting aside memory for insanity level video and streaming capabilities?

october_midnight
02-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Why no console today? From the head of SONY: 'We had to keep something new for later. Otherwise you'd get bored.' (http://kotaku.com/5985824)

Fair enough...

Wretchedest
02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I think thats really the best answer he could have given unless it wasb shockingly honest in some way.

Maury
02-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Where did this come from?

I got it from Somethingawful.com's Games forums, but it's pretty much everywhere now.

http://kotaku.com/5985769/the-ps4s-specs-in-brief for example

Maury
02-20-2013, 09:40 PM
More stuff:

http://s12.postimage.org/kr1exub9p/controller.png

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-20-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm gonna start saving for one of these now, but only as a back-up. The system sounds pretty interesting, and the launch games are inticing as fuck. Watch Dogs AND a new Infamous? Those alone would keep me entertained for a while. But I'm not fully sold on it quite yet.

I may end up doing what I did with the PS3: Hold out until a new Metal Gear release turns me on to buying a whole new console. :P

thelastdisciple
02-20-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm not so concerned with not having seen what the actual PS4 looks like as i am with not getting important generation changing making or breaking info like whether or not single player disc based games that have no multiplayer or internet bells and whistles being pigeon holed into always being online, paid subscription for said connection, anti-used games etc.

You know the things console gamers really should be giving a shit about.

Amaro
02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty freaking pumped. The controller is so slick (I have teh boner)...the tech specs are really promising. Um...sign me up.

Probably launch day if Battlefield 4 is out for it by the time of its release.

The last system I got giddy about was PS2 (I was off playing music during PS3), so this is just fun for me. I hope the system itself looks goofy and/or unpredictable.

FUCK YEHA.

Wretchedest
02-21-2013, 12:09 AM
i know its wierd they didn't show the box, but if they ONLY showed the box it would have been a lot worse...

Madmya
02-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Jesus, it's got every gimmick from each other system tacked onto it.

liquidcalm
02-21-2013, 06:33 AM
at least they have clarified the used games rumors etc:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

and good for them.

edit:
Also the new Killzone game is a launch title : http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_GB/blog/news/2013-02-20_announcing-killzone-shadow-fall.html
Which is good.. I liked Killzone 2 a whole lot.. I didn't like 3 that much, but look.. they added more colours!

That future cityscape is begging for Mirrors Edge 2... just saying..

kdrcraig
02-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Figures they're making the new Infamous a launch title, it's gonna be so hard for me to not buy the PS4 at launch just for that damn game. Considering I still have a bunch of PS3 games I've bought and haven't played and just bought a new 360 cause my second one crapped out, I'm going to do my best to hold off on the new generation of consoles for as long as possible. This thing looks like it's going to be crazy powerful though.

thelastdisciple
02-21-2013, 07:34 AM
PlayStation 4 owners will be able to play the system offline, a Sony executive has confirmed.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392715/ps4-will-not-demand-always-online-connection/

Well that's a relief, along with the clarification against used games.

Piko
02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
i know its wierd they didn't show the box, but if they ONLY showed the box it would have been a lot worse...

I mostly find it weird since the whole point of the announcement was "look at this! Come buy it!". I honestly believe they don't have a finalized design yet. Which would explain the lack of what the console looks like. Assuming by E3, we'll see it and probably get a hands-on.

And yes, it's insanely powerful. I might suck it up and reserve one. If I can pay it off until launch, all could be OK, financially.

Conan The Barbarian
02-21-2013, 08:03 AM
I will pick one up, just not at launch. I will wait till there are a good amount of games. This seems like a cool system. Cant wait to see what MS has in store for its next console as well.

Gaming FTW!

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Figures they're making the new Infamous a launch title, it's gonna be so hard for me to not buy the PS4 at launch just for that damn game. Considering I still have a bunch of PS3 games I've bought and haven't played and just bought a new 360 cause my second one crapped out, I'm going to do my best to hold off on the new generation of consoles for as long as possible. This thing looks like it's going to be crazy powerful though.

I'm sorta in the same boat. I have plenty of games I haven't played yet or haven't touched in a long time and still need to finish. But I'm thinking that since there aren't a whole lot of games (that I'm interested in) coming out between now and the holidays, I may work on the games I already have and hold off on buying some new (or even used) games for a few months, maybe start buying up the digital versions of the ones I have as they become free or cheap. Hell, I can get all the Assassin's Creed games (before AC3) in digital format for like, what, 30 bucks or something? Not to mention I have at least 40 digital games that I've played and enjoyed just from PS Plus giveaways. The transition to the PS4 will be smooth-ish for me, just a little inconvenient. But PS Plus really helps. If Sony keeps that service up, I'll gladly fork over 50 bucks a year.

And it's not like I'm selling my PS3 if I get a PS4. I'll still have that around. I'll just have my PS2, 3, and 4 all together on the entertainment center, heh. :P

kdrcraig
02-21-2013, 08:18 AM
And it's not like I'm selling my PS3 if I get a PS4. I'll still have that around. I'll just have my PS2, 3, and 4 all together on the entertainment center, heh. :P

Once I get these new consoles I'm gonna have to buy a new entertainment center just to hold them all.

Wretchedest
02-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Confirmed now that it will play used games. And it does require an online connection. Huzaah.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Once I get these new consoles I'm gonna have to buy a new entertainment center just to hold them all.

I'm really thinking about it. I have 4 consoles that I kinda swap in and out from the top of my dresser every few feeks when I feel like it, it'd be nice just to have something to put everything on and not have to switch things out. Maybe someday, because I plan on getting a Wii U in the future, and maybe even the new Xbox way down the line, but only after a price-cut or two.

Gah...it just sucks that there's no backwards compatibility with PS3 games. How hard would it possibly be to make that happen? Don't they know how many more people would buy one if they could play their (soon to be old) PS3 games?

Screw it. I'm gonna disassemble my PS2, 3, and 4 and build myself a mega-station that houses all four consoles. In a plywood shell. YOUR MOVE, SONY.

kdrcraig
02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Gah...it just sucks that there's no backwards compatibility with PS3 games. How hard would it possibly be to make that happen? Don't they know how many more people would buy one if they could play their (soon to be old) PS3 games?

I heard somewhere that they said eventually the PS4 will be able to stream PS3 games, not sure if there's any truth to that. But I agree, new consoles should always be backwards compatible with the previous generation. Apparently Sony/Microsoft do not agree.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
I heard somewhere that they said eventually the PS4 will be able to stream PS3 games, not sure if there's any truth to that. But I agree, new consoles should always be backwards compatible with the previous generation. Apparently Sony/Microsoft do not agree.

Yeah, the backwards campatiblity with streaming games is great and all, but that's just going to make me pay for my current PS3 games again just to have them in digital form. In a perfect world, they'd set up a system where you could at least prove that you own Game X, and in turn get a free digital copy of that game. :P Not that many of the games I own would be too expensive anymore, but that's probably gonna end up being another $100 I'll have to spend if I decide to go digital with the games I already bought.

But it's whatever! I'm not worried about it. I'm still on the fence until I hear more, so I'll just wait and see what else we hear about it. My PS3 will be a part of my collection for a long time before I retire it, whether I get a PS4 or not.

Edit:

Games bought through the PSN are also not backwards compatible. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122284-PSN-Games-Wont-Transfer-to-PS4 And Sony's stock has dropped. This is turning into a clusterfuck. I completely understand the need to make the PS4 easier to develop for. If you've played the PS3 version of The Orange Box trust me you know, but after I spent $300 on this technology you're just going to abandon it cold turkey?

V For fuck's sake. Do they want people's money or not? "It would overstretch the abilites of the PS4's processor." My ass. They know they can make it happen, but then they wouldn't make any money off people re-buying old games.

Iran_Ed
02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Games bought through the PSN are also not backwards compatible. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122284-PSN-Games-Wont-Transfer-to-PS4 And Sony's stock has dropped. This is turning into a clusterfuck. I completely understand the need to make the PS4 easier to develop for. If you've played the PS3 version of The Orange Box trust me you know, but after I spent $300 on this technology you're just going to abandon it cold turkey?

Jinsai
02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
wait... ok, so it won't be compatible with the games I've bought on PSN, but surely they'll take note that I bought them already and allow me to add them to my streaming library, right?

Also... I'm sorry, I just don't buy this shit about how the PS4 won't be able to run PS3 games. It's the same kind of lie they trotted out as an excuse for why they cut out the backwards compatibility for PS2 games for the PS3. "Oh, without the PS2's chip which drives up the price of the hardware, the PS3 cannot emulate the PS2 properly." And then, a little while later, you start seeing PS2 games showing up in the PSN store. In other words, bullshit.

Considering that the PS4's specs exceed the recommended system requirements for the homebrewed PS3 emulator for PC...

Space Suicide
02-21-2013, 02:30 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you buy a PS4 and only play PS3 games they're not making any more additional money.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
^ Edit: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous. And I wouldn't ONLY be playing PS3 games, but you know, people would probably like to play more than the handful of games that would be available at launch on a new console. We're not exactly making the jump from cartridge to disc, here. It just seems so basic for them to do it, but nope, gotta make that paper.

Ah. So the Dualshock 3 controllers won't be compatible with PS4, either. Because that would've been...such a technological stretch for the hardware.

They're really trying to force people into give them more money now, aren't they?

Wretchedest
02-21-2013, 02:35 PM
I remember back in 07 the ps3 had very few reasons to own it, but my ps2 crapped ot and i bought one just for backwards compatibility.

That said my ps3 works just fine and im content to hold onto it to play the games i have. Itd be nice if tey manned up thpugh.

Space Suicide
02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
^ Edit: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous. And I wouldn't ONLY be playing PS3 games, but you know, people would probably like to play more than the handful of games that would be available at launch on a new console. We're not exactly making the jump from cartridge to disc, here. It just seems so basic for them to do it, but nope, gotta make that paper.

Ah. So the Dualshock 3 controllers won't be compatible with PS4, either. Because that would've been...such a technological stretch for the hardware.

They're really trying to force people into give them more money now, aren't they?

Pretty much. I LOVE video games and I know devs are passionate about making them but this industry is nothing but mind on the money. I find it sad really, video games and the market were never like this.

Jinsai
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you buy a PS4 and only play PS3 games they're not making any more additional money.

And if I choose not to buy a PS4 because it can't play the majority of my existing library without further milking me, they're not making any more additional money from me buying their new crap or their new games.

I know you're not presenting that argument and that you're just explaining the business angle here, but I just don't get how they could possibly think this is a good business move in the long run. I bought a PS3 at launch, even though there was only ONE game out at the time that I was interested in playing. Why did I buy it? Because it offered backwards compatibility with my PS2 and PS1 games, and my PS2 was broken.

The PS3 is a sturdy machine, but it breaks after enough use. We're running into a 7 year cycle for the machine, and I'm seeing more and more of my friends having issues. If the PS4 offered people with failing blu ray drives and other issues to just upgrade to a new system that can handle all their old library, it would have significantly more appeal.

If the PS3 hadn't offered backwards compatibility at launch, I would not have bought it at launch. However, once I'd bought one, I wanted to get some new games for my system that would make use of what it was capable of. That's how you can sell a shitty game like Lair to me, but first you need to convince me to buy the goddamn system.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Pretty much. I LOVE video games and I know devs are passionate about making them but this industry is nothing but mind on the money. I find it sad really, video games and the market were never like this.

The sad thing is, I'd almost be willing to spend another 50 bucks on the console if that was what it would take to make it backwards compatible. I WANT to put my money into the console, really. But they're making it really hard for me to really justify doing it, at least right away.

Edit: *sigh* It just hurts to read again.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-not-backwards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital-games

In a roundtable conversation with journalists, President of Sony’s Worldwide Studios noted that PS3 games of both the retail and downloadable variety will not be compatible with PlayStation 4, at least not natively. In other words, your PS3 discs won’t work in the new console nor will the games you downloaded. This means that hits like Journey, The Unfinished Swan, Shatter and hundreds of other games available in the digital space will not be carried over to PlayStation 4 in addition to the collection of PS3 discs sitting on your shelf.

There’s a catch, though: emulation. The PlayStation 3 doesn’t read PlayStation 2 discs (at least not anymore), but it can play PS2 games via the PlayStation Store in an emulated environment. Yoshida concedes that this is possible for PlayStation 4 supporting legacy PlayStation consoles as well. Indeed, the Gaikai presentation during PlayStation 4’s reveal touched on this “everything, everywhere” mentality. But for now, downloaded PS3 games won’t work “unless, somehow, some games work on emulation. And the easiest thing, technically, would be to make PSone games work on PS4 with emulation. But we’re not talking about our emulation plans as yet.”

In short, “There are two ways [to play legacy content]: emulation or cloud services [from Gaikai]. But native support [of digital games from PS3], no, sorry. It doesn’t work.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG3dfwEkGos

Jinsai
02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
The sad thing is, I'd almost be willing to spend another 50 bucks on the console if that was what it would take to make it backwards compatible. I WANT to put my money into the console, really. But they're making it really hard for me to really justify doing it, at least right away.

If it meant I could import my entire library on my current PS3's HD and also play all PS3 (and PS2 and PS1) disc based games, especially if they unlocked region restrictions for PS1 and 2 games, I would eagerly pay twice that for a "special version" of the system.