PDA

View Full Version : 2014.07.19 - Las Vegas, NV @ Planet Hollywood

TheBang
07-20-2014, 01:03 AM
viva las vegas!

TheDavidMurphy
07-20-2014, 02:35 AM
I confess. Quite a technically glitchy show, including this memory that will be etched in me forever (sorry for the focus; was trying to get a snapshot as quickly as I could from like, all the fuck way back):

http://i2.minus.com/jVX5AJTKgJpJ0.jpg

I first thought "oh boy, something expensive is going to get broken," but I forgot that we're in the Subdued Trent era. In his brief show speech, he mentioned that a lot of shit was fucking up tonight but, well, "If you don't try..."

He also mentioned that this is the final nin tour for a very long time. Take that as you will -- whether it's Trent-speak for "until I release an album next year," or really a "seriously, I'm done" kind of a thing. That all said, it was quite fun to watch a general sense of panic overtake the general lighting board area during the aforementioned fuckups with the panels. I caught one tech guy hauling ass over to said lighting board, which I found entertaining.

In general, the show was... fine. Not the best one I've seen of the recent tours, which is partially due to the fact that it feels kind of fucking weird to be watching nine inch nails... standing at my seat. I guess I can bob my head really enthusiastically during MotP or something, but that's about all I can give it. Shit, I even got yelled at by security because my foot was about four inches over into the aisle. Four fucking inches and I got a flashlight on the foot for that. For an aisle that's about five feet wide.

I digress. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the band makeup... or perhaps the band+songs combo. It seems to me as if a number of the more technically complex songs / layered songs sound... sparse... in a four-person band. Would be curious to hear opinions on that. Perhaps I'm just crazy.

I also wish we got a little something different than just Ye Olde Festival Design... between that, and the merch being fairly generic and boring, I do wonder if this is more of an Obligation Tour for trent than something he really wants to invest a lot of time and thought into. Hopefully he's not bored with this all...

FULLMETAL
07-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Setlist:
http://i.imgur.com/6dAjxFX.jpg

The show started promptly at 8pm and a number of folks missed OPN's opening set. I'm not sure what he played, but it felt like a companion to the TRON LEGACY soundtrack. I thought I read he would be playing more guitar sounding drones or something, but could be mistaken. Anyhow, I didn't know what to expect and enjoyed his soundscapes, but I wasn't engaged with the performance.

Soundgarden took the stage at 8:45 and seemed to be in fine form. Their bass player walked out into the crowd during the first track and did a great job of roaring up the fans, but this was a Las Vegas crowd to be sure. I'm not the biggest SG fan so I only recognized their big hits, but they rocked it out and seemed to be having fun. It was a quick 85 minute set. The stage change-up was only 35 minutes and it was neat to see the contrast in how the two bands would utilize the stage space.

It was interesting to see the crowd's reaction to NIN's entrance. A lot of folks took a break during the intermission and since the house lights were still up, didn't expect the show to be starting anytime soon - especially since the stage crew were still walking about. Of course, a seasoned NIN fan knows once the single lamp is placed as the focal anchor - the performance has begun.

My seat was on the extreme right of the stage, so I didn't have the best angle for the show proper but had great views of the behind-the-screens action. It was a very shaky start. Robin's intro cue was fucked up and he had some minor technical issues during the first two songs. Otherwise, it was a fun show but this leg certainly isn't one aimed at the die-hards/superfans... especially with an 18 song set.

packetslave
07-20-2014, 03:47 AM
Interesting that "Hurt" was always planned to be the only encore. I halfway thought that Trent cut it short due to the shitty crowd, especially given that he didn't do the usual band introductions. Typical vegas audience, lots of dudebros and party girls that are only there to get drunk and be seen. There was a little life during Wish, THTF, and HLAH, but mostly dead, dead, dead.

Other than that, what can I say? A bad NIN show is better than most bands' good ones, but wow that was a bit of a mess.

Krazy
07-20-2014, 03:59 AM
Typical vegas audience, lots of dudebros and party girls that are only there to get drunk and be seen.

Other than that, what can I say? A bad NIN show is better than most bands' good ones, but wow that was a bit of a mess.

This, and this.

Id like to give a sincere "fuck you" to the stereotypical LV strip crowd (not everyone)- oh what would Axe body products and date rape drugs do without you?

Yeah, no one forced me to come here....again, but holy fuck I can't wait to catch my flight out of here.

pwing47
07-20-2014, 04:06 AM
I was in Row E down in the pit, and I wanted to facepalm infinitely when NIN started. Never have I seen or heard of a NIN show where ppl in Row 2 are SITTING DOWN. And also, I'd say about half or more of the pit crowd wasn't even present during most of the first song. I honestly wonder what Trent thought, or if he noticed.

It was unique in that it was a venue that actually has a pit area, but still. I think most of the crowds from here on out will be a strange mix of 50/50 half "in-love-with-NIN" who really rock out, and half "think-NIN-is-cool-but-whatevs" and just kinda stand around and put up with our energy :)

Scarlet Siren
07-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Only 18 songs? :/

pwing47
07-20-2014, 04:12 AM

Based on the sets from the QotSA/NIN tour, I think it's about equal to what they did for those. Was longer than I was expecting, to be quite honest. At least they're going last and will get an encore. My guess is they'll switch up between A) just Hurt, B) TDTWW into Hurt, C) something like Even Deeper or ITT into Hurt. Will probably depend on time, crowd, other Trent factors, etc.

packetslave
07-20-2014, 04:15 AM

NIN didn't hit the stage until after 10:30pm, so I imagine there's a limit to how many songs they could shoehorn into the set.

Incidentally, I wonder if NIN & Soundgarden will flip a coin or something to determine who goes on first each night, or if it will be consistent.

packetslave
07-20-2014, 04:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FLCZ4jsl.jpg (http://imgur.com/FLCZ4js)

heavenly_bearded
07-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Good show. Great company. Next stop Red Rocks!

TheRealNs1
07-20-2014, 11:30 AM
So sorry your sections were Wack. Mine was awesome.

Your Name Here
07-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I've had some time to rest and reflect on last nights show. Here are the facts of what was said and mentioned. Yes, Trent said that there were some "fuck ups" onstage. Yes, Trent said they would not be touring for a long time, but he didn't say it was the last tour or that they were never going to tour again. Yes, it was sort of a greatest hits Setlist. However with all that was said, the Setlist and the glitches, I still really liked the show.
As for the glitches, it wasn't just NIN, but Soundgarden were having technical problems as well, the bass went out early in Soundgardens set. I'm not sure, if the start of last nights NIN show was supposed to happen the way it did. When it happened I thought it was part of the show. The stage was cleared of Soundgardens equipment and was basically empty, no drums, no keyboards, and the house lights were on, there were stage techs still setting up and this guy walks out, right up to the mic and people in the audience were saying "is that Trent"? And it was, he grabbed what I think was the Lamer midi controller that he uses and starts the intro to "Copy Of A" all with the house lights on and people still setting up. It reminded me of film Stop Making Sense by the Talking Heads where they start the show with an empty stage and David Byrne starts the show as the crew brings out the equipment all with the house lights on. The lighting screens this time around were on rollers that were moved around the stage by stage techs moving them from behind. At this point in the show I thought everything was going as planned. During the next song which was Sanctified when the lighting panels lit up they said "Cart 1" "Cart 2" " Cart 3" etc, up to 7 that was my first indication that things may not be going to plan. After that, was when Trent mentioned the "Fuck ups". After that, they pretty much pulled it together with the occasional guitar going out and the panels seemed like they were out of alignment during Closer.
Even with the glitches and the greatest hits Setlist I still really liked the show. The band sounded good I thought the NIN set was better than Soundgarden. Highlights from the NIN set for me were "Me I'm Not" ( I have a video I took of almost the entire song with my iPhone and I was in dead center if somebody can tell me how to post it)and "Eraser". I really liked the show almost better than last November at the Hard Rock, even with all the glitches.
Now, Soundgarden I have never seen them before and they were good but after awhile I was feeling a little like okay enough with the feedback, delay and echo. However that is their sound, highlights were Fell On Black Days, and Black Hole Sun. It did seem that the majority of the audience was there to see NIN and somebody sitting next to me did make a valid point that NIN is playing new music where Soundgarden seemed to be living off their past. I did like them but I liked NIN better. Would I go see Soundgarden by themselves probably not.
The opener nobody seemed to enjoy it, where I was sitting, but, I liked it and what was his name?
I couldn't really hear the pre show music the house sound was really quiet, I did hear Bowie's Stay and I would love to know what the song was that was played right after Soundgarden's set.

TheRealNs1
07-20-2014, 04:36 PM
They played HTDA "fur lined" during the pre music too. The beginning of sound garden set was very odd, bunch of stage hands grabbing the mesh screen that fell down and walking offstage. Really, that's the best they could come up with?

I thought "copy of a" started just as he wanted, because when he played wiltern 2009 be also started the set with house lights on.

madison
07-20-2014, 09:11 PM
...I think most of the crowds from here on out will be a strange mix of 50/50 half "in-love-with-NIN" who really rock out, and half "think-NIN-is-cool-but-whatevs" and just kinda stand around and put up with our energy :)

My thoughts exactly. I enjoyed the show but it wasn't nearly as much fun as shows where most of the crowd are in love with NIN.
This is making it tough to decide whether to go to Chicago on Thursday. Chicago seems to love NIN, so maybe it'll be better despite the crappy venue.

Krazy
07-20-2014, 10:33 PM
My thoughts exactly. I enjoyed the show but it wasn't nearly as much fun as shows where most of the crowd are in love with NIN.
This is making it tough to decide whether to go to Chicago on Thursday. Chicago seems to love NIN, so maybe it'll be better despite the crappy venue.

Just another shitty part about co-headlining tours, the crowd isn't there for the same reason. I like SG but it's not like I was screaming and clapping after every song either.

virushopper
07-21-2014, 01:41 AM
Just made it back home.

OPN: I'm not sure what to make of his songs. They weren't bad or anything but it was kind of average sounding at times. I will say though the visuals complimented the music really well.

Soundgarden: I am by no means a fan of theirs, I only know the hits but I have to say I really enjoyed Soundgarden. They were tight, really congeal as a band. I know some might say Chris' voice has been shot but I like what I heard and man I love their guitar tones. Especially the heavy doomy riff songs. Can't wait to see them again next month.

NIN: Prior to the gig I did not bother seeing the setlist from the night before. I wanted to assume it was a setlist catering to the festival settings but I was wrong. Anyway, I didn't mind it actually. I love seeing and hearing "Eraser" since 2009. Yes the show was mired with technical problems but I love how Trent kept pushing on like it didn't matter. My only complaint of the show was the audio mix at this gig. There were times where the sound was just empty. "Wish" is a great example, Trent's guitar mix got lost in the beginning and the single guitar tone from Robin was thin. Also when Trent goes Rob Halford at the end of MOTP, yeah I didn't hear it.

Overall I enjoyed the show. Technical and audio problems aside, everyone brought it.

Random tidbits from the show:
Dead crowd at times.
If your guitar does not work do what Robin does by dropping it hard on the floor.
Roadies need to work on the stage choreography of the panels.
Trent used a Fender Jazzmaster on Eraser
And @TheRealNs1 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/2946-TheRealNs1) no need to rub it in.

Yoshata
07-21-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't get to see that many concerts, so just being able to see this one was personally really amazing. I'm really glad these two bands are touring together.

Oneohtrix Point Never was really good; I really enjoyed mixture of the visuals and the sound. It was a nice way to start off the whole event.

LOVED Soundgarden. This was only my second time seeing them, and I loved every minute. Didn't even notice the glitches during their set.

I loved NIN's set as well - awesome stage setup (which I've never seen in its entirety before since I was avoiding videos prior to this show). I did notice the "Cart" glitch at the beginning, but after that, I didn't catch anything else. I loved the opening because I wasn't sure how they were going to start, but then I saw Trent walking out on the stage, almost thought he was another stagehand, and then figured it out.

I feel really glad that I was able to participate in this experience. I know I've already said this in a different thread, but this was a dream come true for me because I have been a huge fan of both of these bands for a long time, and getting to see them in the same show and talking about each other between songs was really amazing. I wish it wasn't all over already, but I'm happy to have been there. :)

TheRealNs1
07-21-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't see where I was "rubbing it in"? Wasn't my intent anyway cuz I have no idea what you're referring to.

erikiksaz
07-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Vegas crowds are crap. Reminds me of watching concerts back in the inland empire. A bunch of drunk, rednecks who'd rather talk during the concert then listen to they paid for. I forgot about the shitty crowd at the Joint the year before, but was unpleasantly reminded.

This was one of the poorer NIN experiences for me, save for a couple songs.

One, the audio was not of typical NIN-quality. I don't know if they have a new sound guy, but fire that asshole. Guitars came and went throughout the show (notably the bassline on Terrible lie, finale to MOTP, Wish, Gave Up). And as for Only, it sounded like the beat was a 96kbps mp3 recording, it was ridiculously poor-sounding for any concert standards.

The light show was fine, I think we're all a little spoiled in hoping that Trent could continuously top himself with each tour iteration.

Truthfully I'm not a fan of having all the band members play every single instrument. I prefer the five piece where each respective members plays the instrument that they're good at playing.

I'll be seeing them in Irvine and in LA next, hopefully the details get ironed out then.

virushopper
07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't see where I was "rubbing it in"? Wasn't my intent anyway cuz I have no idea what you're referring to.

So sorry your sections were Wack. Mine was awesome.

I can't speak for everyone but I am sure there are some like me who might not have gotten great angle like you did.

TheRealNs1
07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Sorry about that....most certainly was not my intent...

VenturaLocal
08-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Why no unique posters for las vegas?