PDA

View Full Version : FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brasil FTW!)

Baphomette
06-11-2014, 11:20 PM
http://wp.streetwise.co/wp-content/uploads//2014/05/world-cup-2014.jpg

As per ETS tradition.
And thank you, @fillow (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=348), for the reminder and the picture. :D

Schedule of matches. (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/)

thevoid99
06-11-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm going with Brazil and any team that's from North America or South America.

Rubeninphoenix
06-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Brazil absolutely has to win this one on home soil or else the unrest over staging the Cup will get even worse. That being said, I think they are the favorites and rightfully so.

Baphomette
06-12-2014, 02:29 AM
For those of us without cable, Univision will live stream every match of the tournament’s first two rounds for free! (http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2014/06/no_cable_tv_you_can_still_watc.html) The games will be broadcast in Spanish but, honestly, watching a game without Spanish commentary (http://corporate.univision.com/2014/05/univision-deportes-announces-unprecedented-deployment-of-stellar-talent-to-cover-fifa-world-cup-brazil-2014/) is like eating a pizza without cheese (be it real or vegan)

Univision Live Stream (http://futbol.univision.com/fifa-copa-mundial/)
Univision Live Stream mobile app (http://movil.univision.com/apps/openpage/2011-10-14/aplicacion-de-futbol)

Vertigo
06-12-2014, 03:20 AM
Just going to leave this here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I&feature=kp

As for my picks... Brazil stand a very good chance of winning on home turf. Neymar is a force to be reckoned with, and they're fielding a very strong side. Still, as that would be too easy and obvious, I'm going for Portugal.

I feel very sorry for those two or three Americans who care about football, Group G is a nightmare.

cahernandez
06-12-2014, 10:58 AM
In my bracket I have Germany v Argentina in the final, with Germany winning. I reaaally hope that Brazil doesn't win this, in my opinion Neymar is nothing to be excited about. I predict Chile and Belgium will be the surprises of the tournament.

AgentofChaos
06-12-2014, 11:35 AM
I fuckin hate soccer with a furious passion so I'll stay out of the this thread from here on out (thank you by the way, for not making me read about this shit in the real sports thread) but hey at least it's good for some funny gifs, and I can't lie soccer broads wearing soccer shit is sexy as hell.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s2veJBCUJ6c/UCWiZAW-sLI/AAAAAAAAAFI/tpEHJxSbBYY/s400/Sexy-Soccer-Girls1.jpg

http://crazypicsworld.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/sexy_scoocer_babes_015.jpg

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/fastest-red-card-in-a-soccer-game.jpg

ambergris
06-12-2014, 02:38 PM
I actually thought a couple of times of boycotting this tournament because of FIFA, but I just can't. John Oliver was so right. I think it would be boring if Brazil wins, I hope someone else does it (like, uh, Germany). Interestingly, although no nation won the cup more often Brazil, they never did it at home. Everyone else but Spain in 2010 has at least won it once at home. (Uruguay in 1930, Italy in 1934, Germany in 1974, England in 1966, Argentina in 1978, France in 1998)

thevoid99
06-12-2014, 04:03 PM
The game so far has been pretty good. Croatia is doing all it can to defend while Brazil keeps attacking.

Tums206_BFY
06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Croatia's GK was Brasil's best friend today.

Soft Penalty too. Brasil outplayed Croatia overall but that wasn't that impressive of a game for them.

Vertigo
06-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Ref was Brazil's MotM.

Baphomette
06-12-2014, 08:24 PM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06/12/15/enhanced/webdr06/enhanced-buzz-26080-1402602113-10.jpg

The last samba of the Ents.

Tums206_BFY
06-13-2014, 01:21 PM
Some shitty refereeing thus far the first two matches hopefully that doesn't become a point of talk beyond those matches. Anyways an early heavyweight battle between Spain and the Netherlands, should be a good match. I'm interested to see Diego Costa's impact up front for Spain, who knows if he is even fully fit yet. Needless to say it is last World Cup's finals rematch.

thevoid99
06-13-2014, 03:07 PM
The Mexico-Cameroon game was alright though the referee really made things worse due to bad calls and 2 goals for Mexico that could've been counted even though they still won.

Tums206_BFY
06-13-2014, 03:37 PM
The Netherlands destroying Spain. Casillas is so bad.

october_midnight
06-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Poor, poor Ca5illa5.

dvdglss
06-13-2014, 03:54 PM
oooph that was bad on Spain's part...

thevoid99
06-13-2014, 03:58 PM
What the fuck? Spain just fucking collapsed. The Best Goalie in the World just became a laughingstock. Spain's defense was terrible.

Baphomette
06-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Wow. That was BRUTAL. Poor Casillas. Netherlands played great, though.

Digital Twilight
06-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Soooo happy with the Netherland's win. Well deserved, let's hope Chile can turn Spain over too.

Shocking decisions in the Mexico game.

Winter Is Coming
06-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Games so far today have been fun despite some poor calls in the Mexico game. Very excited for tomorrow. Forza Azzurri!

Digital Twilight
06-13-2014, 06:38 PM
England for sure, Italy are too old ;)

Sallos
06-13-2014, 06:51 PM
What the fuck? Spain just fucking collapsed. The Best Goalie in the World just became a laughingstock. Spain's defense was terrible.

And Mourinho went through hell couse he knew Casillas place's was on the bench, back when he was coaching Real. And lets not forget how he did in the Champions League final against Atletico.

Vertigo
06-13-2014, 07:16 PM
England for sure, Italy are too old ;)

Well, I'll grant it to Hodgson, he's gutted out the vast majority of England's old guard. Though curiously the position where we still have 30-something stalwarts, midfield, is by far our strongest area. And I can't help but feel that Peter Crouch could still have done something, he's one of those players who vastly excelled his usual performance when fielded in an international match. In his last appearance, he scored within five minutes of coming onto the pitch.

Currently we just have zero execution near the end of the pitch. Rooney's consistently underperformed for England for years somehow without any manager noticing, and though the other forwards are now comfortably into their '20s (except Lambert), they lack ultimate polish, confidence and consistency. Defence isn't anything special either. England can have 80% possession and still easily lose.

Digital Twilight
06-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Daniel Sturridge scored 21 goals last season, Rooney 17, Gerrard/Lambert 13, Welbeck/Sterling 9. We have great firepower going forward it's just a case if we can play well as a team which has always been England's problem. I have more optimism for this team than any other in recent memory. We have youth and pace as well as a decent spine of experience, we will top our group I think.

Italy are very ordinary at the moment but I would never write them off.

ambergris
06-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Every golden era ends some day... Now I can see the Dutch winning it all, but they always give this impression after their first game, let's see...

I looked at the FIFA world team ranking to see which group is the hardest one in terms of highest average ranking of the teams in each group. There are two groups that are significantly harder than the rest. Group D is the hardest one overall with an average team ranking of 13,5 (the one with England and Italy), Germany's group is second at 14 (with Portugal). The weakest group is Group F with 28,25.

About today, England are perennial favorites that underperform while Italy are always in trouble but always overperform. I think that England will not survive the group stage but for once, they seem to agree in general.

amancalledhorse
06-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Well, I'll grant it to Hodgson, he's gutted out the vast majority of England's old guard. Though curiously the position where we still have 30-something stalwarts, midfield, is by far our strongest area. And I can't help but feel that Peter Crouch could still have done something, he's one of those players who vastly excelled his usual performance when fielded in an international match. In his last appearance, he scored within five minutes of coming onto the pitch.

Up the Potters.

Crouch is perhaps past it now at int'l level (now in last year of contract at Stoke and I suspect Pulis will come sniffing, but personally I'd keep him), but there was a case that Crouch or Carroll would have offered something different to the squad.

The real crime from a Stoke fan perspective is that Chris 'Chris' Smalling is in the squad ahead of Shawcross, who has been monstrous this season.

Maul
06-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Spain got served like a volleyball.Let's see how they do against Chile.

Rubeninphoenix
06-14-2014, 04:55 PM
What a great game from Costa Rica. They definitely stunned the world today.

Tums206_BFY
06-14-2014, 05:19 PM
-Costa Rica IMO outside the Netherlands played one of the best match thus far in the WC. I got some family from Costa Rica bet they are gonna be celebrating all night. Not over for Uruguay by any means but they are definitely in trouble.

-Colombia handle Greece, who couldn't really get anything going and the chances they did get they blew them.

Charmingly Miserable
06-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Which team has the hottest players?

Go Mexico.

Vertigo
06-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Welp, I take no pleasure in being right.
For what it's worth, Welbeck was amazing in the first half, and Sterling could have done some damage if he wasn't so heavily marked. Rooney surprised me by not being a lazy ineffectual shit in the first half, and the cross worked perfectly. Unfortunately it's that miss people will be talking about, both he and Welbeck seemed to be different players after half time.

Anyway. It was a clean, respectful match, which helped wash away memories of Brazil's opener, and flowed nicely. Brilliant play from Italy in most parts of the pitch, and the keeper proved there's life after Buffon.

Baphomette
06-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Holy fuck, Japan's goalie.

Rubeninphoenix
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Sterling was sterling tonight. It's a shame he couldn't do more and I agree about WR, great first half followed by a lack luster second. I would've liked to see him take that free kick Stevie G took in the second half though. I think Wayne could've gotten it in the back of the net from that angle.

thevoid99
06-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Costa Rica beat Uruguay.... I didn't see that coming and I'm kinda happy for it. England... what happened? Now Ivory Coast is winning against Japan 2-1.

Tums206_BFY
06-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Happy to see Drogba get some playing time one of my favorite players ever! They picked it up once he came in.

Rubeninphoenix
06-15-2014, 12:55 PM
What a way for Ecuador to lose. It was a great goal from the Swiss in stoppage time.

thevoid99
06-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Well, that was fucking terrible. Honduras gave France the fucking game. Hijo de puta! My dad was just pissed off and bitched over how bad his country blew the fucking game while also calling on the ref on those bad calls.

Vertigo
06-15-2014, 04:18 PM
I only watched the first half, but those calls didn't look bad to me. Some appalling behaviour out there.

Tums206_BFY
06-15-2014, 08:17 PM
-Honduras started out the match pretty positive but then ended up just pulling numbers back. Palacios' foul was dumb for a player carrying a yellow already but I will say this Pogba maybe should have been shown a red for some antics earlier in the match.

-Argentina was underwhelming and Bosnia got really unlucky with that own goal. Messi's goal was great though

fillow
06-16-2014, 12:44 AM
This WC has been absolutely awesome so far. No boring games, lots of drama for pretty much every team.
Can't say I'm pleased with all results (Japan goddamnit), but that's another story.

fillow
06-16-2014, 06:22 AM
Allow me to introduce: Netherlands head coal Joshua Homme Louis van Gaal
http://www.sofoot.com/IMG/img-louis-van-gaal-selectionneur-des-pays-bas-1394003681_620_400_crop_articles-181290.jpg

ambergris
06-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Van Gaal is an absolute pro. Bayern Munich's Chamipons League victory last year was almost more his work than that of Jupp Heynckes. Heynckes knows how to keep everyone happy and how to create team spirit, but the tactics were all Van Gaal. However his ideas always need some time to bear fruits. Maybe that's why his first attempt to coach the Dutch failed.

Dra508
06-16-2014, 08:59 AM
This

http://nyti.ms/SXysvD (Where Dishonesty Is The Best Policy, U.S. soccer Falls Short)

Tums206_BFY
06-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Germany marching all over Portugal right now. 3-0 at half time.

ambergris
06-16-2014, 12:58 PM
We had a little luck there... a penalty that was ok to call, but didn't have to be, a goal from a corner kick (which Germany hasn't had in ages), and then the red card for Portugal, and the game is over. We blocked Portugal's attack in the first 30 minutes very effectively, and after that Portugal was defeated.

cahernandez
06-16-2014, 01:26 PM
God forgives, not Die Mannschaft.

thevoid99
06-16-2014, 03:15 PM
BAD PEPE!!!!! BAD!!!!! That was stupid over what he did. Now the Americans might have a chance to beat Portugal. I want that to happen. I just hope the U.S. beats Ghana.

Sallos
06-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Portugal played like crap, just awful. Might as well start rooting for Costa rica

spiralout
06-16-2014, 07:04 PM
WOW! That USA Ghana Game.

Tums206_BFY
06-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Great win for the USA to start the Group of Death! They gave Ghana waaay too much space and respect it almost came back to haunt them but they held on after the winner.

I personally think Ghana is a better squad then Portugal but if they play the same way again next match could be some trouble. Great win though!

-Iran and Nigeria played the first draw of the World Cup, scoreless never the less.

leo3375
06-16-2014, 07:21 PM
This is totally called for right now. USA! USA! USA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Clint Dempsey, FUCK YEAH! John Brooks, FUCK YEAH!

Baphomette
06-16-2014, 07:36 PM
The US played HORRIBLY. Ghana outmatched them by far. Really bummed they didn't win.

Tums206_BFY
06-16-2014, 08:20 PM
The US played HORRIBLY. Ghana outmatched them by far. Really bummed they didn't win.

Gotta make your chances count Ghana didn't USA did (USA pretty much invited Ghana to score for most of the match), and it only took two great chances to win. I will say next match will be tougher just for the fact that Portugal will lay it all on the line and come out agressive....and yeah they gotta deal with Ronaldo.

I agree though def out matched and they will be for the rest of the tournament.

thevoid99
06-16-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm just happy the U.S. won. I just hope they play better against Portugal as I think they now have a chance since Portugal absolutely fucking sucked.

leo3375
06-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Yes, the US won ugly. But it's still a win. Portugal got their butts handed to them by Germany and I think they'll be out to prove themselves.

Rubeninphoenix
06-16-2014, 09:36 PM
*sigh* I love CR7 for what he did as a Manchester United player and for what he continues to do individually for Real Madrid but today I could not defend his constant whining to the ref trying to get calls against people. I know he did this as a member of United but today, it was hard to watch. At least he didn't try to dive in the box and get a penalty.

elevenism
06-17-2014, 02:32 AM
USA and J Brooks.... USA! USA!

there's probably not a snowball's chance in hell that we'll win the world cup, but at least we made it to the next round.

i hope we at least make it to the round of 8 again,,,cautiously optimistic.

ambergris
06-17-2014, 05:07 AM
I support Jürgen Klinsmann, and by extension and cultural affiliation, the US team. That was quite the battle yesterday, but Ghana never really broke through except for that one goal. Most of their shots were from outside the penalty box and terribly imprecise. And both teams played too fast for their technical abilities. Italy showed that it's better to play slower but more precise. I am looking forward to USA-Germany. I wonder if it's going to have an impact that Löw was once Germany's assistant coach under Klinsmann. I mean.... if Germany beats Ghana, then a draw between USA and Germany is enough for both.... (shades of 1982)

Edit: No wait, that's wrong unless Ghana beats Portugal, which I guess is possible.

Tums206_BFY
06-17-2014, 08:47 PM
-Ochoa was a wall vs Brasil
-Belgium was underwhelming vs Algeria for most of the match but they got it done. A trendy pick among some, they are def talented but it's not their time.
-Russia and Korea was okay. Akinfeev's bone headed goal keeping almost cost them lucky for him and Russia they were able to come away with a point.

thevoid99
06-17-2014, 09:42 PM
The Brazil-Mexico game was great. Ochoa is a fucking superstar. I bet he has balls of steel. The way he blocked every shot. England and Spain better get their checkbooks and go on a bidding war to get this guy.

Charmingly Miserable
06-17-2014, 11:05 PM
The Brazil-Mexico game was great. Ochoa is a fucking superstar.
Ochoa is my new dream man. Ilan Rubin has competition!

But yes, the Brazil/Mexico game was fantastic.

littlemonkey613
06-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Yeah Ochoa was incredible today.

Hope the US can pull through in their second game.

Mexico and USA for me. :D

Tums206_BFY
06-18-2014, 04:01 PM
-The defending Champions Spain are eliminated from the World Cup after another poor display vs Chile.

-Australia and The Netherlands was a good match. Tim Cahill's goal was a thing of beauty but it wasn't enough. Robben continues to to tear shit up.

thevoid99
06-18-2014, 04:08 PM
The Australia-Netherlands game was good. Sucks that it's Tim Cahill's last game but at least he gave us a great goal.

Spain fucking sucked. Chile just steamrolled them. I just hope that Australia can get a win over Spain and then those crybabies back home.

henryeatscereal
06-18-2014, 04:24 PM
hilarious...

http://img.welt.de/img/wm-2014/crop129212722/1560717887-ci3x2l-w580-aoriginal-h386-l0/Twitter-Screenshot-ohne-RECHTE-Ochoa-Mo.jpg

Rubeninphoenix
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM
If I were Louis Van Gaal, I'm asking the Manchester United board for the transfer money to be used on as many of the Dutch squad as possible at the moment. He already has RVP, might as well go for Sneijder (who was rumored to be heading to Old Trafford 3 years running) and Arjen Robben at least.

With Spain gone, I say it's Germany, Netherlands, Brazil as the most likely to win the Cup. Spain looked really really human this tournament. No longer the tiki-taka titans of 2008, 2010, and 2012.

cahernandez
06-18-2014, 05:03 PM
If I were Louis Van Gaal, I'm asking the Manchester United board for the transfer money to be used on as many of the Dutch squad as possible at the moment. He already has RVP, might as well go for Sneijder (who was rumored to be heading to Old Trafford 3 years running) and Arjen Robben at least.

With Spain gone, I say it's Germany, Netherlands, Brazil as the most likely to win the Cup. Spain looked really really human this tournament. No longer the tiki-taka titans of 2008, 2010, and 2012.

Brazil will not win this one, not even with FIFA help. They looked terribly uninspired yesterday. They are going to face either NL or Chile in the Round of 16, and either of the two teams can hand their asses to them EASILY. Fred, Jo and Paulinho complete garbage.

amancalledhorse
06-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Not remotely a ManU fan (I really enjoyed Moyes!) but Wes is past it.

Frydek
06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Brazil will not win this one

Unless Refereenho plays in the team again ;)

But agreed, they don't look strong. They're likely to go through though and from the round of 16 on it will be another competition. They're definitely among the favourites.

Don't bury Argentina too fast. They can win it as well. Their 2nd half against Bosnia was better. And Messi doesn't have to be good throughout a whole match. A couple of his speedy moves and that's it.

Sallos
06-18-2014, 07:26 PM
It'll be funny to revisit this thread once the championship is over.

Rubeninphoenix
06-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Brazil will not win this one, not even with FIFA help. They looked terribly uninspired yesterday. They are going to face either NL or Chile in the Round of 16, and either of the two teams can hand their asses to them EASILY. Fred, Jo and Paulinho complete garbage.Uninspired and Guillermo Ochoa played one hell of a game between the sticks.

Not remotely a ManU fan (I really enjoyed Moyes!) but Wes is past it.Ah yes, the Davie Moyes Experience....10 months that I would like to forget about. I think Wes still has something to offer and especially with LVG as his club coach, he will play his best although I have a feeling Galatasaray will overprice him. I wouldn't pay more than £8.5 million for him.

Baphomette
06-18-2014, 09:29 PM
It'll be funny to revisit this thread once the championship is over.
In the meantime, enjoy the ones from 2010 (http://archives.echoingthesound.org/topics/49257/index.html) and 2006 (http://archives.echoingthesound.org/topics/17588/index.html). I miss azure. :(

Charmingly Miserable
06-18-2014, 10:27 PM
hilarious...

http://img.welt.de/img/wm-2014/crop129212722/1560717887-ci3x2l-w580-aoriginal-h386-l0/Twitter-Screenshot-ohne-RECHTE-Ochoa-Mo.jpg
http://instagram.com/p/pZTfI_hJHZ/

fillow
06-19-2014, 03:18 AM
Some of yesterday's highlights:

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/857368635.gif?1403135300

http://abload.de/img/songu2y6c.gif

Oh, and... Adios, Spain!

Sallos
06-19-2014, 04:24 AM
Some of yesterday's highlights:

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/857368635.gif?1403135300

http://abload.de/img/songu2y6c.gif

Oh, and... Adios, Spain!

what the hell i don't even

halloween
06-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Ugh, what the fuck...

ambergris
06-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Cameroon must be the prime example of how good players can be a terrible team. I feel sorry for their german trainer, Volker Finke, who is widely regarded as a capable man here in Germany. He coached the same team for about 14 years, a low budget club with occasionally exceptional success (getting into the Europa league with a bunch of no names). That club was a popular, "nice" club and he was a "nice" coach. But Cameroon doesn't work with a "nice" trainer. The national football organisation of Cameroon is a disaster. The players are rebellious. The big stars demand extra treatment and an impact on the team tactics. They can't control their aggressions.

Baphomette
06-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Gorgeous goal by Uruguay. I have a feeling this will end up being a tied game.

Rubeninphoenix
06-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Suarez strikes again....gah.

thevoid99
06-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Rooney is the only guy in that team who played his heart out. He tried to save his country. I'm sad that England is out. Very sad.

fillow
06-19-2014, 05:02 PM
England is not out yet. They need Italy to win both games and themselves to beat Costa Rico by 2 or more goals. Tough,but not impossible

Rubeninphoenix
06-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Rooney is the only guy in that team who played his heart out. He tried to save his country. I'm sad that England is out. Very sad.I still have hope that they advance. I know it's an uphill task but I have a feeling Balotelli really really wants that kiss on the cheek from Queen Elizabeth so he'll play his best to ensure Italy win against Costa Rica and Uruguay and throw England a bone for their game against CR.

Digital Twilight
06-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Typical England. Painfully average.

We had some great moments against Italy and for once it looked like we were evolving into a good, positive attacking team but all the old habits crept in against Uruguay. Too slow, too negative, not enough movement or any sense of creating anything, just the odd glimpse here and there. We need Italy to do us some favours but perhaps it's best they don't.

Tums206_BFY
06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
The match between Uruguay and England was one of wasted chances. Unfortunately for England, Uruguay had Suarez capitalize on both his chances. I mean Rooney finally scored a goal later in the match but missed a few really good opportunities before then. In the beginning of the second half Uruguay had everything going for them and should of scored at least a goal, Cavani missed the biggest chance during that stretch.

-Costa Rica is beating Italy right now 1-0 as they are about to start the second half.

Notes from yesterday:

-Japan vs Greece- Japan needs a physical force up top they lack that physicality it was extremely evident against Greece. They were the better squad all match long, were a man up for over half of it and had the better chances but got nothing out of it. Well a draw which might as well have a victory for the Greeks.

-Colombia is on a roll. Dangerous squad heading forward.

Digital Twilight
06-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Excellent performance from Costa Rica. They should be able to get something from their last game, either win or draw and finish top of the group. All to play for Italy vs Uruguay.

Rubeninphoenix
06-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Honduras should've gotten a penalty there late in the second half. Guy was hugging Costly as if Costly was his girlfriend before throwing him down. Bad missed call by the ref.

thevoid99
06-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Honduras should've gotten a penalty there late in the second half. Guy was hugging Costly as if Costly was his girlfriend before throwing him down. Bad missed call by the ref.

Agreed. It would've been 2-2 and Honduras would have a better chance in getting into the next round which will be tough since they need to do a lot against Switzerland. Costa Rica was awesome.

Rubeninphoenix
06-21-2014, 10:14 PM
That Germany-Ghana game was quite interesting. I think Klose squandered a good chance to not only get the 3 points for his country, but also to break the goal scoring record he had tied earlier in the game.

Maul
06-22-2014, 06:58 PM
USA - Portugal was pretty intense. But after the 2nd goal, USA started to lose time at every oportunity and the players started slacking big time,so Portugal scored at the very last minute. USA deserved that just for acting like idiots.

Sallos
06-22-2014, 07:04 PM
as a portuguese im ashamed of our national team, they were pathetic and mediocre much like our first game, We should've won this one easly. Our players are old and washed up, they can't run and they can't pass. I wish we had lost today atleast i wouldn't be suffering anymore and we wouldn't be putting this poor show in the upcoming stages.

We're at our 2nd week and we already got 5 players injured....

thevoid99
06-22-2014, 07:08 PM
That was a good game. We almost won that. 30 seconds left and Portugal just came back alive. I just hope we pull a miracle or a tie against Germany.

Tums206_BFY
06-22-2014, 07:27 PM
The USA outplayed Portugal for a good majority of the match. Michael Bradley is not playing well at all his give away there at the end was costly. The first goal was costly too with that terrible defensive mistake and at the end two defenders got caught ball watching on that Ronaldo cross, which was nice, but could have been defended way better. 4 pts in the Group of Death is not anything to scoff at for the USA but they now have the tough ask of seeking a result against Germany.

That Ghana-Germany Draw yesterday hurt and the USA is feeling that. But kudos they played way way better then the first match.

leo3375
06-22-2014, 08:41 PM
It all comes down to Thursday's games. US vs. Germany, and Portugal vs. Ghana. The US can advance if either of these scenarios happen:

1. US beats or ties Germany
2. US loses to Germany but Portugal vs. Ghana ends in a tie
3. US loses to Germany but wins a tiebreaker against the Portugal vs. Ghana winner

cahernandez
06-22-2014, 09:04 PM
USA - Portugal was pretty intense. But after the 2nd goal, USA started to lose time at every oportunity and the players started slacking big time,so Portugal scored at the very last minute. USA deserved that just for acting like idiots.

Slacking big time? They were playing on the edge of the Amazon jungle, it was hot and humid, some of the worst conditions for playing a sport. They were indeed slacking, but they kinda had a reason. They were running at 100% for 80 minutes and that got to them, it's definitely not easy to play in those conditions. I wouldn't say that "they were acting like idiots" (and I'm not a USA supporter, I'm just giving you some context behind those last 15 minutes). But it was indeed a frustrating way to tie.

Tums206_BFY
06-24-2014, 12:43 AM
-Brasil destroys Cameroon today will face Chile in the first match of the Knockout rounds
-Mexico destroys Croatia (one of the more disappointing teams IMO this tournament) they get the Netherlands.
-Spain bows out with a victory against Australia. Maybe Villa should have played more then Costa.

-Mexico is playing extremely well right now will it be good enough against the Dutch, who knows. Miguel Herrera is the most entertaining manager in the sport right now.
-Not really sold on Brasil yet. Neymar having a great tournament so far.
-Robben best player in the World Cup at the moment. IMO of course.

Dra508
06-24-2014, 08:10 AM
I've been trying to figure out which are the most enthusiastic fans (based only what the tv shows me). As of today, I'm going to give it to Mexico.

henryeatscereal
06-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Herrera 4 life... http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/06/23/miguel_herrera_mexico_meet_the_most_gif_worthy_man _at_the_world_cup.html

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_spot/2014/06/23/herrera-4.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

cahernandez
06-24-2014, 10:01 AM
I've been trying to figure out which are the most enthusiastic fans (based only what the tv shows me). As of today, I'm going to give it to Mexico.

Argentina is right up there as well! Colombia too, as well as Chile.

Tums206_BFY
06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Oh boy Suarez strikes again. I am pretty sure he is done for the rest tournament, unless FIFA fucks shit up which isn't out of the question.

-Diego Godin is having a brilliant year, what a player!

-Costa Rica wins D after holding England goal less. Brilliant WC so far from the Ticos.

thevoid99
06-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Herrera 4 life... http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/06/23/miguel_herrera_mexico_meet_the_most_gif_worthy_man _at_the_world_cup.html

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_spot/2014/06/23/herrera-4.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

First Ochoa, now Herrera.... Mexico is already becoming the #1 team as far as the Internet is concerned. I love this guy. I gotta show my dad this. This is great.

I can't believe Suarez did that. He's fucked and I think Uruguay will play Colombia which means that Colombia will win.

fillow
06-24-2014, 02:03 PM
We're likely getting a sort of Copa America in the knockout.
Winner of Brazil vs Chile meets winner of Uruguay vs [most likely] Colombia.
And Argentina may meet Ecuador.

Digital Twilight
06-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Suarez is an embarrassing human being. Third time he has bitten someone on the field. I don't care if you are the greatest player in the world or playing for your local pub team on a Sunday afternoon there is no room for that kind of behaviour and to add insult to injury he went down playing the victim. I would ban him from the next world cup as well any suspensions for next season. He'll probably get off lightly though as FIFA are pretty useless, I expect any action that will be taken will be after the world cup anyway so he'll still be free to continue.

henryeatscereal
06-24-2014, 04:40 PM
First Ochoa, now Herrera.... Mexico is already becoming the #1 team as far as the Internet is concerned. I love this guy. I gotta show my dad this. This is great.

...don't forget to show him the mullet from his younger years:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeNppPACcAAozi9.jpg

Baphomette
06-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Phooey on you, Greece. :(

Alexandros
06-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Phooey on you, Greece. :(

Well ok, it wasn't a penalty, but dammit we deserved to get this game!

EDIT: Actually, it probably was a penalty after all. Sure, not the most clear-cut of cases, but not un-call-able (yeech, that word).

Rubeninphoenix
06-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Luis Suarez is scum on the pitch. It's a shame FIFA is useless (as mentioned above) and probably will do next to nothing in terms of punishment.

Fixer808
06-24-2014, 07:41 PM
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10300010_10152569863701803_3720088600103164921_n.p ng

leo3375
06-24-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been shared yet. All I know is that if Luis Suarez isn't suspended for the rest of the tournament he should have to wear this:

http://soccer.indonewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/suarez-bites.jpeg

thevoid99
06-24-2014, 10:24 PM
...don't forget to show him the mullet from his younger years:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeNppPACcAAozi9.jpg

He already knows about that. That is one rockin' mullet!

decadent
06-25-2014, 04:48 AM
FIFA is a joke and won`t do much, but I still expect that Suarez will miss at least the rest of the tournament. Such a despicable character, it is the third time he bites someone.

Was banned for 8 games for racially abusing another player. And during the first game back he did this:

http://i.minus.com/ibz2dg0uThuYMd.gif

baudolino
06-25-2014, 09:47 AM
best piece about soccer (and Suarez) you will most likely ever read: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10984370/portrait-serial-winner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player%20%E2%80%A6

amancalledhorse
06-25-2014, 08:29 PM
The way they seem to accept (even love) Suarez's shenanigans in Uruguay is mental. It's like Joey Barton being elected to parliament in the UK or something.

leo3375
06-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Hey, Kids! Now you can play your very own Luis Suarez Pac-Man game!

Luis Suarez is BITEMAN! (http://bitemangame.com/)

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/anigif_enhanced-17338-1403712792-9.gif

Maul
06-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Maybe I was a little harsh with my choice of words.But you could tell they were trying to desperately lose time, instead of actually playing the ball. Sure, the conditions are really tough and they deserve credit for everything they have achieved, I was rooting for them all game long. But the last goal of the game came as a result of one USA player literally passing it to a Portugal player.I just think it was a shame the way they played the last minutes of the game.

Dra508
06-26-2014, 09:05 AM
I don't know enough about soccer, but it sounded like all the talking heads and passionate soccer fans don't look for blaming one person out there for the US loss. See that, Americans take that match as a loss, not a tie. It's like ties aren't allowed in our subconscious.

elevenism
06-26-2014, 09:29 AM
i sure hope we make it to the next round. the us has never gotten past the round of 8, have we?
i wonder how our coach feels about playing against germany. he is german, right?

Digital Twilight
06-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Suarez has gotten off lightly I think considering this is his third offense. He's been banned for 39 matches since 2010 without recieving a red card. An amazing feat. I think part of the punishment should be mandatory counselling. You would think after the second time, if not the first, Suarez himself would have taken steps to ensure he wouldn't lose his marbles again. If the ban doesn't include transfers he will go in the summer I think.

For today's games I hope our American cousins can secure their place into the next round. Only a loss and a heavy win for Ghana or Portugal will knock the US out. All to play for in Group H too with three teams can join Belgium. Great tournament so far.

Digital Twilight
06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
and of course, what the hell happened to Ghana today as well? Two players sent home and an overnight flight carrying cash for the players? Nuts!

Vertigo
06-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Fingers crossed for the US here too. You guys got very unlucky with Portugal at the end. The match is starting recede into memory, but I vaguely remember them pulling out their usual bag of dirty tricks.

cahernandez
06-26-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't know enough about soccer, but it sounded like all the talking heads and passionate soccer fans don't look for blaming one person out there for the US loss. See that, Americans take that match as a loss, not a tie. It's like ties aren't allowed in our subconscious.

As a soccer player myself, that tie felt like a loss for sure, the way it happened. If Portugal had tied 10 minutes earlier it would had felt more like a tie. It's the psychological effect.

I don't know if y'all have seen this letter: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-06-25/sports/chi-juergen-klinsmann-soccer-note-20140625_1_juergen-klinsmann-u-s-soccer-national-team

It could help the Americans skip a couple hours off work today!

cahernandez
06-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Suarez has gotten off lightly I think considering this is his third offense. He's been banned for 39 matches since 2010 without recieving a red card. An amazing feat. I think part of the punishment should be mandatory counselling. You would think after the second time, if not the first, Suarez himself would have taken steps to ensure he wouldn't lose his marbles again. If the ban doesn't include transfers he will go in the summer I think.

For today's games I hope our American cousins can secure their place into the next round. Only a loss and a heavy win for Ghana or Portugal will knock the US out. All to play for in Group H too with three teams can join Belgium. Great tournament so far.

Sorry for the double post...Ghana doesn't need a heavy win to make it to the next round. Say the US loses by one goal, Ghana would need to win by two to make it. Or, if the US loses by two goals (possible), Ghana would only need to win by one. Portugal is the one that's basically eliminated.

elevenism
06-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Wow! some international support for the US!
a LOT of us from my generation are NOT oblivious to soccer.
we played it as kids at the YMCA and such, and some of us joined select clubs, and then a TINY handful of us went and played on the international level. I actually had one friend do that.

And when we made it to the round of eight, my best friend and i went to a local dallas bar called Ben's Half Yard House to watch. I think the game was at like 6:30 am here. the cool thing was, the bar was JAM ASS PACKED! And it was packed with all of us kids who played soccer growing up, all grown up.

Come to think of it, germany knocked us out that year.
Damnit, i hope we at LEAST get that tie today!

amancalledhorse
06-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Geoff Cameron's performance at the WC seems to be much like he is at Stoke - manages to convince a load of the fans he's a decent player while also managing two mistakes (good ball from Ronaldo, but he should have positioned to clear it) that cost games.

Rubeninphoenix
06-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Wow! some international support for the US!
a LOT of us from my generation are NOT oblivious to soccer.
we played it as kids at the YMCA and such, and some of us joined select clubs, and then a TINY handful of us went and played on the international level. I actually had one friend do that.

And when we made it to the round of eight, my best friend and i went to a local dallas bar called Ben's Half Yard House to watch. I think the game was at like 6:30 am here. the cool thing was, the bar was JAM ASS PACKED! And it was packed with all of us kids who played soccer growing up, all grown up.

Come to think of it, germany knocked us out that year.
Damnit, i hope we at LEAST get that tie today!The 2002 World Cup...the first one I watched. I am hoping for a draw (but let it be 1-1 or 2-2 please) but even then against Germany it will be a hard fought draw.

In other news, I think Suarez getting a 9 match batch from Uruguay games and a 4 month total ban from the sport is not enough (in addition to being fined 100,000 Swiss francs). Yes, this may be the heaviest non-drugs related suspension FIFA has handed out but they could've made a real example out of him and they didn't. Shame on FIFA.

Digital Twilight
06-26-2014, 11:48 AM
So far so good...

Tums206_BFY
06-26-2014, 01:16 PM
-Well glad FIFA took care of the Suarez incident. Did more then I thought they would even though in all honesty he deserves way more.

-Ghana weighed down by the $3 million cash stack they got delivered yesterday from their federation fall to Portugal on a game winning Cristiano Ronaldo goal. Which....

-Sends the USA to the Knockout Round despite falling to Germany 1-0! Germany could have made things far worst earlier in the match when they had some really good chances but Muller continues to score that's 9 goals in 9 World Cup matches and 4 assist as well, Phenomenal! USA had some a couple really nice chances late in this match to draw but just couldn't get their. Played a good first half despite some trouble early and sorta ran into a wall most of the second half. But they played the match they wanted minimizing the damage and letting Ghana/Portugal battle it out.

Group of Death lived up to that billing.

amancalledhorse
06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
In other news, I think Suarez getting a 9 match batch from Uruguay games and a 4 month total ban from the sport is not enough (in addition to being fined 100,000 Swiss francs). Yes, this may be the heaviest non-drugs related suspension FIFA has handed out but they could've made a real example out of him and they didn't. Shame on FIFA.

I think the ban should have gone further into the domestic season, absolutely.

I'd have preferred four-ish months starting mid-august so more like six in essence.

The fine was always going to be a paltry amount, but the fact he isn't even allowed to train with Liverpool is a nice touch. The loss in sponsorship and potential signing on fees will end up hurting him more in any case.

thevoid99
06-26-2014, 03:11 PM
i sure hope we make it to the next round. the us has never gotten past the round of 8, have we?
i wonder how our coach feels about playing against germany. he is german, right?

At the very first World Cup, we won 3rd place but that was back in 1930. In 2002, we made it to the quarterfinals which was our best showing to date.

Maul
06-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Apparently,Barca is still interested in getting Suarez.

Rubeninphoenix
06-27-2014, 12:09 AM
I think the ban should have gone further into the domestic season, absolutely.

I'd have preferred four-ish months starting mid-august so more like six in essence.

The fine was always going to be a paltry amount, but the fact he isn't even allowed to train with Liverpool is a nice touch. The loss in sponsorship and potential signing on fees will end up hurting him more in any case.

It would've been nice if they suspended him the whole season. A complete and total 12 month ban instead of 4. That would've been nice (saying this as a non-biased Manchester United supporter of course).

Apparently,Barca is still interested in getting Suarez.He's still banned regardless so I don't see why they would want to give up two players plus cash (if the rumors are true) for him. Publicity stunt I would say.

fillow
06-27-2014, 01:06 AM
I bet Suarez' price tag will go down tho.

fillow
06-27-2014, 02:42 AM
OK, now it's getting serious.

http://clip2net.com/clip/m0/1403854875-clip-33kb.png

littlemonkey613
06-27-2014, 03:21 AM
What blew my mind about the Suarez thing the most was the coach's words. "This is a tournament of soccer not a tournament of morality." I was like dang man there are kids watching this! Seriously, I couldn't wrap my head around that kind of amoral trash.

Also happy to see Mexico and the USA in the top 16. :) I hope they don't have to play each other. I don't want to admit to myself how unadulteratedly American I am. lol

cahernandez
06-27-2014, 09:12 AM
What blew my mind about the Suarez thing the most was the coach's words. "This is a tournament of soccer not a tournament of morality." I was like dang man there are kids watching this! Seriously, I couldn't wrap my head around that kind of amoral trash.

Also happy to see Mexico and the USA in the top 16. :) I hope they don't have to play each other. I don't want to admit to myself how unadulteratedly American I am. lol

It would only be until the semifinal (Mexico v USA). Highly unlikely.

henryeatscereal
06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Netherlands-Mexico should be a fun game, both teams are strong and European football always bring out the best of Mexico

Maul
06-27-2014, 11:46 AM
He's still banned regardless so I don't see why they would want to give up two players plus cash (if the rumors are true) for him. Publicity stunt I would say.
I really hope it is because if it turns out true, that shows poor judgement from Barca imo.

I got in a conversation with some people while waiting for the Stones to play in Madrid and some of them said things like: ''Can't blame the guy,it's an intense competition and sometimes it gets physical'' and a few other apologetic f*cked up quotes. I can't believe that train of thought when the truth is someone started biting some guy's arm in the middle of a sports event. I really believe that when it comes to soccer,sometimes morality takes a dive.

thevoid99
06-27-2014, 02:07 PM
It would only be until the semifinal (Mexico v USA). Highly unlikely.

True but it would be awesome. 2 CONCACAF teams getting a chance to be in the finals. Yet, if the U.S. beats Belgium, they might have to play Argentina and that won't be easy.

Dra508
06-27-2014, 09:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/efEYx9w.jpg

Baphomette
06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm about to vomit from nerves. C'MON BRAZIL!!!! The last thing anyone wants for this game is to have the winners determined by penalty kicks.

Rubeninphoenix
06-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Penalty kicks, always a cruel mistress for one team. Chile definitely deserving of passing through to the next round but only one team can and it was determined by the PKs.

thevoid99
06-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Chile played great as I think this is their best team to date. They really pressed hard on Brazil yet it came down to the penalty kicks. That last one was so unlucky. I felt sorry for Chile.

Vertigo
06-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Chile was brilliant. That performance is something they can be damn proud of.

Tums206_BFY
06-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Brasil was saved by the cross bar late in extra time or they would be sitting at the home the rest of the tournament. But I thought they were the better team but I agree Chile was pretty brilliant. Honestly I honestly think the only reason people say Brasil are favorites are because of the home field advantage that could carry them a long way. Neymar has been brilliant but Fred, Hulk, and Jo haven't provided any support up top and neither has their midfield. They are vulnerable against their next opponent.... by no means am I saying Brasil is bad because they aren't or that they can't win it all they are fucking Brasil after all but I don't think they are the best team in the tournament.

Colombia have been sensational! James Rodriguez is just playing out of control. Maybe will have the goal of the tournament when it is all set and one. Uruguay hurt without Suarez. Cavani will be on my list of most disappointing players when its all set and done. They had some chances but couldn't do anything.

thevoid99
06-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Colombia was awesome. James Rodriguez is a true star and their goalie did some great saves. That is truly one of the best teams I've seen. I don't think they could beat Brazil although it would be awesome. I have Costa Rica over Greece and Mexico over Netherlands for tomorrow. I wanna see Mexico vs. Costa Rica at the quarterfinals.

Charmingly Miserable
06-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Dammit Mexico.

henryeatscereal
06-29-2014, 01:15 PM
well... at least we were "internet champions" for the last weeks, one more for old times sake:

http://i2.wp.com/www.sopitas.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/mmmh2.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=640%2C360

thevoid99
06-29-2014, 02:29 PM
I really wanted Mexico to win. That is their best team so far. Bunch of bad calls and diving Dutch players ruined the game for them. I just hope Ochoa, the rest of the team, and Herrera get some good deals for advertisement. After all, they are the Internet World Cup champs.

henryeatscereal
06-29-2014, 05:39 PM
just like Chile we got robbed, can't believe how bad the refs are...

Tums206_BFY
06-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Robben Island has made a career of diving. Terrible call but Rafa Marquez put himself in a position that allowed Robben to fully exploit it.

-Man Costa Rica played a brilliant match vs Greece. Going a man down and allowing a game tying goal could have sunk them but they held on to win in Penalties. Greece dominated a good portion of the match but their finishing capabilities let them down they had plenty of opportunities to win it.

thevoid99
06-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Costa Rica was great. I'm happy for them. I hope the U.S. can win against Belgium so that 2 CONCACAF teams can be in the quarterfinals.

Baphomette
06-30-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm fucking blown away. Algeria's goalie is AMAZING.

EDIT: OMG I can't believe I jinxed him. FUCK.

Charmingly Miserable
06-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Do you know how pissed I was after they lost yesterday? My blood pressure was through the roof. I was so upset that I couldn't do anything for a couple hours. So you know what my Mexican ass did to compensate? I went shopping once I calmed down.

henryeatscereal
06-30-2014, 11:02 PM
Do you know how pissed I was after they lost yesterday? My blood pressure was through the roof. I was so upset that I couldn't do anything for a couple hours. So you know what my Mexican ass did to compensate? I went shopping once I calmed down.
lol... i hear you! ...it took me 2 Ramones albums, some apple strudel and some vanilla Ice Cream to calm my nerves, my girlfriend helped too, even my cat looked at me with a "WTF is your problem" face...

Tums206_BFY
06-30-2014, 11:18 PM
Outside that 4-0 victory over Portugal I don't think Germany has looked that great but Neuer was great today!!!! The man came out of the box something like 18 times in the match and made the correct choice every time. I like the way he plays, kinda wish they would have gone to penalties to see if he would have taken a try. Algeria was stingy for the whole match and had a couple really good chances they owe a lot to their goalkeeper as well.

Germany and France should be an entertaining encounter. France is a complete 180 from the last disaster in South Africa.

littlemonkey613
07-01-2014, 06:24 AM

god that was just awful wasnt it

henryeatscereal
07-01-2014, 08:55 AM
god that was just awful wasnt it
Yeah, to be fair last minutes we played safe and that was our end, Holland capitalized on the mistaken penalty and all was over, we needed at least one more goal to stay on defensive...

Chile's case was even worse, Chile played miles better than Brazil and proved themselves worthy of winning, i hate it when it comes to penalty kicks

Tums206_BFY
07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
The Swiss were a few minutes away from taking Argentina to penalties before Di Maria struck late. Shaquiri some how managed to miss a golden opportunity to draw it late. Crazy last few minutes at Arena Corinthians.

Dra508
07-01-2014, 02:15 PM
I believe the US maybe can win. Maybe.

Baphomette
07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Really, Belgium? Really??? This is embarrassing.

littlemonkey613
07-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Really, Belgium? Really??? This is embarrassing.

Seriously can't believe ya'll aren't winning. In all but the score I guess.....

Come on USA!

Digital Twilight
07-01-2014, 04:56 PM
USA have been brilliant again, one of the most enjoyable teams of the tournament for me. Belgium have been disappointing considering the quality they have in their squad.

Baphomette
07-01-2014, 05:11 PM
USA have been brilliant againYou've got to be kidding me. They can't play offense at all. They've only been playing defense (and not that impressively either) and they've been as off on their kicking as Belgium. If they score a goal, it'll be pure luck.

Perdita
07-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Come on Belgium!! :D

Dra508
07-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Of course when I change the channel, the US scores.

Digital Twilight
07-01-2014, 05:26 PM
What a free kick that was!

Squeeky bum time...

Amaro
07-01-2014, 05:34 PM
US had their second goal in reach, not to mention a third or fourth... Ugh! Seriously.

Tums206_BFY
07-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Valiant effort. Tim Howard was playing out of control. Blew that Ochoa performance out of the water!

Lukaku's introduction to the match was the changing moment and spark Belgium needed. Talented squad no doubt about that should be a good match vs Argentina.

Minus those two defensive breakdown or Courtois's big save. Missed chances. We might be in penalties right now. BTW near the end of regulation Wondolowski missed an incredible chance to most likely win it.

thevoid99
07-01-2014, 10:16 PM
As sad as I am in the U.S.'s loss, Tim Howard's performance is truly the most unreal thing I've seen. He should be given a lot of praise for what he did. I read that he was the #1 trend on Twitter. It was a good game and I'm glad the U.S. didn't give up.

Right now, the teams I'm rooting for are Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, and Costa Rica. I really hope the Costa Ricans pull an upset on the Dutch.

leo3375
07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Sigh…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-bIeJ4zOY

henryeatscereal
07-01-2014, 10:53 PM
On the bright side...

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/fifa-facepalm-worldcup-meme.jpg

...BTW the logo also looks to a former mexican president called Benito Juarez, lol...

fillow
07-02-2014, 01:40 AM
So many great goalkeeper performances this year

ibanez33
07-04-2014, 05:37 AM
2 amazing games are going to happen today. I'm pulling for Germany to win against France and Brazil over Colombia, but mo matter which way they go, they're going to be a great pair of games to watch.

ambergris
07-04-2014, 06:10 AM
There are only two teams that won all their games in regular time: The Netherlands (though they were losing to Mexico until the 88th minute), and Colombia who have been the team with the least problems so far. I could imagine that Colombia is going to beat Brazil. Brazil finally needs to show that they're a great team. And of course, I hope that Germany is going to win. But the two teams are evenly matched. Penalties, maybe?

ibanez33
07-04-2014, 06:20 AM
as long as nobody tries to pull any bullshit, I'm thinking Germany and Brazil are going to win their quarterfinal games. But if they're up against each other in the semis, I have no idea which way it could go.

henryeatscereal
07-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Go Colombia Go!

Vertigo
07-04-2014, 08:43 AM
France. Haven't been remotely impressed with Germany in the games I've seen.

Amaro
07-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Anybody have a link I can watch the France game at?

Digital Twilight
07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Anybody have a link I can watch the France game at?

http://www.ronaldo7.net/live/livestream/livestream.html

Digital Twilight
07-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Germany are looking good for their lead but France look dangerous and I can see them scoring in the second half. Regardless of the result I would love to see Klose break the record.

henryeatscereal
07-04-2014, 12:42 PM
A bit late but what the hell...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BquZLmcCAAAZAux.jpg:large

Digital Twilight
07-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Well I think France will look back at that game with deep regret. They never really went for it and I think if they did they could have gotten something out of the game. Germany weren't amazing but I guess they didn't have to be.

The linesman in this game was terrible.

Amaro
07-04-2014, 04:31 PM
What a FUCKING GOAL, DAVID LUIZ.

My body top to bottom had chills. Perfect drop.

Let's keep this going, guys.

Tums206_BFY
07-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Well I think France will look back at that game with deep regret. They never really went for it and I think if they did they could have gotten something out of the game. Germany weren't amazing but I guess they didn't have to be.

The linesman in this game was terrible.

I agree France played too passive they could have exposed Germany's high line but choose not too and it cost them. Benzema outside of the first match against Honduras was pretty dismal. I don't understand why Giroud came in so late into the match. By the time they started being more aggressive it was already too late. Neuer was outstanding again.

Brasil pull one out against Colombia. BTW how many fouls did Fernandinho have to commit on James Rodriguez before he deserved to be carded? Neymar's injury is costly and Thiago Silva's absence next match against Germany will be too. David Luiz's goal was pretty nice. Are Fred, Jo, Hulk or Oscar ever gonna show up?

Maul
07-05-2014, 05:39 AM
The referee in this match let too many things slide and violence sure escalated pretty quickly. People usually complain when a referee interrupts the game a lot, but it's necessary almost everytime.

Digital Twilight
07-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Agreed, the ref was very poor and Rodriguez was being punished for it all night long.

Oddly I have a feeling the Argentina - Belgium game could end up being a little flat. Hope I am wrong.

thevoid99
07-05-2014, 01:58 PM
That was a good game. The Belgium defense was all over Messi but Higuian's goal was great. I hope Costa Rica wins.

Dra508
07-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Go Costa Rica

thevoid99
07-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Go Costa Rica

I'm sad they lost to the Dutch but they played brilliantly. That is a great team and I just hope some of those guys would get to play in big European teams.

Vertigo
07-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Getting the furthest your country ever has in the World Cup, and only losing to the tournament's most prolific goalscorers on a penalty shootout, that's something everyone on the Costa Rican squad can be extremely proud of.

It could very easily have gone the other way, too.

thevoid99
07-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Not to mention that Costa Rica beat Italy and Uruguay in the group stages as they were seen as absolute long-shots. They made their country proud.

decadent
07-07-2014, 01:27 AM
No other coach would have changed the goalkeepr in the 120th minute. Van Gaal is a genius, he was expecting penalties and had this change prepared in his mind, even the goalkeepers themselves didn`t know about the plan.

Now my team - Germany - should have an easy win against Brazil, since they are without two of their main players. The other semifinal is less predictable, I guess it depends who will have a better day - Messi or Robben.

Nyx
07-08-2014, 03:29 PM
What the actual fuck...?

october_midnight
07-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Stephen Hawking could score on Brazil at this point.

cahernandez
07-08-2014, 03:47 PM
This is awesome. Oh man I'm so happy right now, finally Brazil are unmasked for the crappy team they really are. This version of Brazil only had the defense going for them but even that has been shattered now. The final I predicted before the start of the World Cup was Germany v Argentina with Argentina winning it all :)

fillow
07-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Ain't rooting for anyone tonight, but this is painful to watch. Pretty sure my tv would be outta window by now if I was a Brazilian.

thevoid99
07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
5-0 in the first half. I'm shocked but then again, Brazil didn't really play great at the World Cup as they did coast by. The U.S. played better than this against the Germans.

Tums206_BFY
07-08-2014, 03:57 PM
That was an embarrassing half by Brasil.

When this is set and done barring an epic collapse/comeback this match will have a bigger impact than the Maracanazo ever did.

henryeatscereal
07-08-2014, 04:03 PM
They are getting raped without a condom

fillow
07-08-2014, 04:44 PM
At least the shocking turn of events made our commentator stfu about ref and Suatez bite, which went on until second goal nonstop

miss k bee
07-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Haven't been following the football much but even I feel sorry for Brazil, that score is brutal. Team might need counselling!

Tums206_BFY
07-08-2014, 05:14 PM
That was a dismal performance from Brasil. I said it before the WC began the only reason these guys were even in the favorite talk was because they were at home. Jo, Fred, and Hulk were pure garbage the whole tournament. I'll eat some crow too because I didn't have Germany going to the final but man they deserve to be there. Neuer and Schweinsteiger were pretty angry at that half ass shot Ozil attempted that could have made it 8-0 before Oscar scored. What a dismantling.

thevoid99
07-08-2014, 05:18 PM
My mother hoped that Germany would score an eighth goal to inject more pain. Man, that was brutal to watch. The Germans were amazing as they were playing with confidence and chemistry. Brazil acted like amateurs with a few people really trying to play. I hope whoever loses the Argentina-Netherlands game beats the crap out of Brazil in the third place game because Brazil played like shit.

henryeatscereal
07-08-2014, 11:04 PM
https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/909A0DEEDE1098393527559286784_10ca8946e17.3.2.mp4? versionId=j4D2zRRY261phrIpgene.Pr0TDDe0Mk1

thevoid99
07-08-2014, 11:22 PM
https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/909A0DEEDE1098393527559286784_10ca8946e17.3.2.mp4? versionId=j4D2zRRY261phrIpgene.Pr0TDDe0Mk1

Goddamn.... that is mean.

ambergris
07-09-2014, 05:16 AM
That was a nice game, heh! Though the game was over after the second goal. I mean, in knock-out games either you win or you lose. If you're already down 2-0 after 20 minutes, you lose your confidence and if the other team really wants to, they can exploit your confusion. Brazil just had too much pressure, with the protests, being the home team, and well, an average team giving up its playing style and using tactics, winning by any means... it turned an average team into an official title contender, but there was only so much that mentality could do. After the 2-0 (and Klose taking the record away from Ronaldo), there was just nothing there anymore, the team collapsed. I expected Germany to win, 3-1 was my guess, but once the floodgates are open you never know...
Of course, it would be funny if Germany lost the final now. I think the Netherlands will advance. And since I expect Germany to beat the Netherlands, they will have lost two consecutive World Cup finals. Very cruel, but it happened before! (1974/78) That's why I'd rather like to see Argentina to advance, but I think it won't happen (Though I think that Messi deserves a World Cup title - in 4 years).

Rubeninphoenix
07-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Losing the heart of that back line really messed them up. They had no coordination in the back. Who would've thought Thiago Silva was actually more valuable than Neymar? Yes, dribbling skills and goals are nice but without a leader to coordinate the defense, you are toast.

Amaro
07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
I hope whoever loses the Argentina-Netherlands game beats the crap out of Brazil in the third place game because Brazil played like shit.

So they need to be punished more in your eyes? I don't get it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Germany simply outplayed Brazil...and kept it up. I don't think Brazil were slouching as some are saying.

But whatever. I feel bad for my Brazilian team, I was/am hurt for them, and nobody else.

Respect to Germany.

henryeatscereal
07-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Let's go Argentina!

fillow
07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Germany simply outplayed Brazil...and kept it up.

You do not simply outplay someone in soccer with 7-1. You fucking destroy them. Wipe them off the field. I would get such outplaying in hockey, where teams score much more, but not here.

I understand that Germany was on fire, but Brazil totally failed to adjust. Get some extra player to the center of defence, I dunno. Do fucking something, if you pretend to be a team aiming for a title.

Amaro
07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Maybe not the best term to describe it...I'm thinking literally here.

By all means I just mean Germany were at another level. Simply too good for Brazil this time, from the get-go...they ran with the momentum they sparked, and yes, Brazil didn't adjust...couldn't, apparently.

Vertigo
07-09-2014, 02:03 PM
It felt like Brazil was playing with 10 men, or even 9. Still, Germany were determined to keep the steamroller fuelled, even with a sure victory.

thevoid99
07-09-2014, 03:15 PM
It felt like Brazil was playing with 10 men, or even 9. Still, Germany were determined to keep the steamroller fuelled, even with a sure victory.

The commentators on ESPN were saying that. Man, we're still talking about it. Will it be bigger than what happened in 1950?

Fixer808
07-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Heh, my cousin: "Well, there's no way that team is not in protective custody surrounded by heavily armed guards right now."

Baphomette
07-09-2014, 05:50 PM
So fucking happy right now!

henryeatscereal
07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
World Cup 1990 finals reloaded, i hope Argentina wins

Tums206_BFY
07-09-2014, 07:06 PM
I thought the Netherlands were the better team and it felt Argentina played exactly for what they wanted in the end: penalties.

Germany vs Argentina part 3 Messi has the chance to ascend to the pantheon of all time greats and shut Maradroga up for some of his earlier comments concerning this team. The Germans IMO are the stronger side on paper but this is all falling into place for Argentina. Will it happen? who knows just hoping for a great final.

Argentina winning it all in Brasil....Oh man could it possibly get any worst for the host.

ready 2 post
07-09-2014, 08:17 PM
I love Messi but the team ethic of Germany has me rooting for them in the final (I'm also an Arsenal fan so I gotta root for our three Germans). However, after all is said and done, I'm gonna be so sad after this tournament comes to a close. This World Cup has been amazing!

thevoid99
07-09-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm going for Argentina as I want to see Messi finally achieve his dream. My dad told me about the 1990 game which was a re-match itself of the '86 game when Germany was West Germany and lost to Argentina.

Vertigo
07-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Sigh. Holland really should have saved the final substitution for the keeper, like they did against Costa Rica. The keepers won them that match - and they lost this one for the same reason.

Don't like either of the teams in the final. I'll need a big-arse jug of coffee to get me through Sunday's match.

Sallos
07-10-2014, 04:47 AM
as a portuguese i was rooting for Brasil, and boy was that painful to watch. Atleast my brasilian friends stopped making fun of Portugal's 4-0 score, and we had played with one less player, had a penalty and played with injured players.

Now im rooting for Germany, Argentina is probably wondering how they got into the final, like Italy usually does.

ambergris
07-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I think Germany is going to win. Then in four years, the final will again be Germany vs. Argentina and Argentina will win. IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE.

Charmingly Miserable
07-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm going for Argentina. I have a friend who looks like Messi.

henryeatscereal
07-11-2014, 10:07 PM
I hope Netherlands wins the third place, in my country it's a sin to say this but they played WAY better that Brasil during the tournament and they deserve the cup someday, still i think Brasil could easily win/cheat the game so they'll get some redemption for their disastrous game against Germany.

Charmingly Miserable
07-11-2014, 10:11 PM
I hope Netherlands wins the third place, in my country it's a sin to say this but they played WAY better that Brasil during the tournament and they deserve the cup someday, still i think Brasil could easily win/cheat the game so they'll get some redemption for their disastrous game against Germany.
Sinner! What kind of Mexican are you? lol

I want Netherlands to lose just for the fact that they shut out muy guapo Ochoa & Co.

henryeatscereal
07-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Sinner! What kind of Mexican are you? lol

I want Netherlands to lose just for the fact that they shut out muy guapo Ochoa & Co.
I'm just being objective, lol...

also: i'm already taking "Anger management lessons" with my Robben piñata, lol:

http://img.telediario.mx/53bfdc5a659f6_robbenne222.jpg

thevoid99
07-12-2014, 10:35 PM
The Dutch wins 3-0 to end their World Cup performance on a high note. Yet, Brazil just continues to cry.

ambergris
07-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Go Germany!!!

thevoid99
07-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Go Argentina!!!!

Fixer808
07-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Go banana!

Amaro
07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Banana wins.

thevoid99
07-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Germany is going to get shit-faced tonight w/ all of that beer, chocolate, and sausages. They're going to be blasting a wild mix of Kraftwerk, Neu!, Can, Scorpions, Accept, Helloween, Rammstein, and David Hasselhoff. That is a great team and they deserved to win.

And I think we should close this thread on a high-note w/ this....

http://d2yhexj5rb8c94.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/styles/sliderimage_crop/public/Angela-Merkel_Twitter_0.jpg

Vertigo
07-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Lionel Messwho?

Digital Twilight
07-13-2014, 06:46 PM
How the fuck did Messi win player of the tournament? He wasn't even Argentina's best player.

Congrats to Germany. They deserved it.

Tums206_BFY
07-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Congrats Germany! They were the best team during the World Cup and deserved to win.

But........Argentina will be having nightmares about some incredible missed chances. Higuain had an opportunity early in the match gift wrapped to him by the German defense and blew it. Messi had an incredible chance as well and couldn't get it on target. Palacio also had a good chance late.

How did Messi win the Golden Ball? Schurrle deserved it more then him...

Anyways great tournament from start to finish, the best team won in the end.

Charmingly Miserable
07-13-2014, 07:05 PM
How the fuck did Messi win player of the tournament? He wasn't even Argentina's best player.

Agreed. I feel like Rojo played better than Messi.

thevoid99
07-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Mario Gotze. Scores the winning goal of the World Cup. A World Champion... and gets to home to this....

http://p1.trrsf.com/image/fget/cf/619/464/images.terra.com/2014/03/04/ann-kathrin-brommel0portada.jpg

Man, life is very damn good for him.

Alexandros
07-13-2014, 11:57 PM
This was an amazing final from start to finish, and it could have gone either way. Germany seemed to be more in control on the whole, but Argentina had the most clear cut, how-did-he-miss-that chances. But yes, based on the overall picture and the entire tournament, Germany was indeed the best team and rightly deserved the cup. I'm glad it didn't go to penalties, it would have been a shame for this final to be overshadowed by that dreaded procedure!

bgalbraith
07-14-2014, 12:54 AM
The final was great. Evenly matched, high tension, lots of chances, good refereeing, beautiful goal to win it, not ending in penalties. I'm happy Germany won as they were my preferred team going into it, though I would have been good with Messi winning as well. Really great tournament overall.

Sallos
07-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Agreed. I feel like Rojo played better than Messi.

Di maria was by far Argentina's best player throughout the tournmanet, anyway i think the award should've been given to Robben.

Congratulations to Germany, happy this one didn't end in a penalty shoot out.

ambergris
07-14-2014, 06:16 AM
Yes! We're world champions! That means I am world champion! Well, I really deserved it.