PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Nothings

TheyCallMeDrug
04-01-2014, 07:47 PM
their new album sounds great. im looking forward to seeing them as a 3 piece on this upcoming tour. and i believe theyre also releasing an album with wavves soon which could be something good.

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/23/291167029/first-listen-cloud-nothings-here-and-nowhere-else

ZeroSum
04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
These guys are pretty good. I like the new album a lot, but not sure if it's as good as the last one. Maybe I just like Steve Albini too much...

thefragile_jake
04-05-2014, 03:04 PM
I want to like this new record but my god, is it boring and lacking of any identity. I thoroughly enjoyed Attack on Memory and that was a record that I revisit from time to time and I still never get sick of it. All the melodies get stuck in my head and I feel like the record is really trying to have something to say. On this one, the similar style is there but the energy and voice feels sucked dry. It's weird that the single is the only thing that I can latch on to and even the singer admits that it's kind of a poppy song to make fans think "Oh this is good...." and then upon hearing the record thinking "Oh well...this isn't as good". There's a quote of that somewhere online but I'm paraphrasing....

Shame too because while I'm still excited to see them at Pitchfork Festival in July, it looks like I'll just be amped up on the the last record's stuff.

Aladdinsanity
04-05-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm completely in love with the new record. I feel like it's the perfect evolution of the sound they originally carved out in Attack on Memory. It may lack the pyrotechnics and instrumental assault of that album (which obviously had a huge hand in their sound's appeal), but they've definitely made up for this by sharpening their pop elements into something much more potent this time around. The new production also helps -- Albini's previous contribution is the obvious stepping stone here, being twisted into a more crisp and organic sound with the instruments being much less disparate.

Dylan Baldi has also improved tremendously as a singer, which is a huge plus. I can't say I particularly cared for him as a vocalist in the previous record. At best, he was passable; at worst, he bordered on annoying.

TheyCallMeDrug
04-05-2014, 05:25 PM
i think their new drummer adds a lot. makes everything more frenetic by playing almost completely ahead of the beat in every song.