PDA

View Full Version : Semi-rare live songs you'd like to see more of in set lists?

Ryan
03-24-2014, 11:55 PM
You know those songs that aren't regular, aren't semi-regular, but aren't rare either? They kind of fall into the grey area? Things like "Please" and "The Line Begins To Blur" and "The Collector" and "Deep" and "The Downward Spiral" and "Not So Pretty Now" and "Non-Entity" and "Into The Void".

I'd call them "treats". As a fan, you know what I mean.

Anyway, which "treats" do you want to see more of? Realistic ones, ones that have been played but not that often.

I'd kill to see Please and Deep live one day.

As of 2014, the "treats" seem to be "La Mer" and "The Good Soldier" and "The Day The World Went Away" and "Suck" - for whatever reason.

ethan829
03-25-2014, 12:11 AM
I'd love to see Not So Pretty Now and/or Please. Metal and I'm Afraid of Americans would be cool too, although not quite as rare.

zeegrizzle
03-25-2014, 12:30 AM
I wanna see all of them :)

ophelia_
03-25-2014, 12:39 AM
We're in this Together Now would be amazing!

Or Kinda I Want To (not that that will happen anytime soon).

katara
03-25-2014, 04:29 AM
Anything from Year Zero to now, except for Survivalism, TBOTE, and 1000000.

I particularly want to see:

The Good Soldier
Vessel
Me, I'm Not
My Violent Heart
The Warning
The Great Destroyer
Head Down
Demon Seed (although I don't think this has ever been played live)

Anything from Ghosts
Anything from Hesitation Marks except Disappointed

Anything from The Fragile, especially:
Just Like You Imagined
The Great Below
The Way Out Is Through
Where Is Everybody?
The Mark Has Been Made
Please
Underneath It All (again, I don't think this has ever been played)

Oh, and Happiness In Slavery.

sick among the pure
03-25-2014, 04:52 AM
More Fragile songs.
More TDS-era non-staples. A return of The Becoming, Ruiner, Heresy, Mr Self Destruct, etc.
Head Down and Letting You.
In Two and Satellite.

SM Rollinger
03-25-2014, 05:16 AM
They played Suck again recently? I did not know this! Anyways...

Just Like You Imagined
The Line Begins to Blur
Ruiner
I Do Not Want This

and id love to see Eraser brought back again!

Ryan
03-25-2014, 05:25 AM
I think Suck appeared at one of the festivals in 2013.

SM Rollinger
03-25-2014, 05:34 AM
I believe you are correct sir.

I dont even need to mention it, but of course id love to hear Happiness in Slavery again, along with The Great Below (i was saddened to hear that it was on one of the setlists from thw Wave Goodbye shows with Mike Garson but they skipped it. Of all the songs that ive heard in person, Great Below and Warm Place really overwhelmed me. That and Vessel too, but they started playing that again so that doesnt count.

elevenism
03-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Please is my very favorite NIN song. I have had TERRIBLE struggles with alcohol, (not to mention vicodin and heroin and coke and heroin mixed with coke and...lol.) Yeah. I REALLY shouldn't be alive. And Please was my fucking theme song for the longest time...i swear to god i had it stuck in my head for a good solid 5 years.
And i don't think i've ever caught it live.
For me, ANYTHING other than the standard terrible lie-head like a hole-wish-closer-hurt-march of the pigs....is great, in my book, just because i've seen all those songs good and plenty live, and heard a lot of them on the radio to the point where i don't care if i ever hear them again.

Oh and i really miss pinion, and Love is Not Enough. For me, Trent is at his best writing about addiction.
Please and LINE are the best songs about addiction ive ever heard.

theimage13
03-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Any songs with Gary Numan on stage. I've seen both acts, but never together. Please, let have that mind-numbing awesomeness just once before I keel over.

r_k_f
03-25-2014, 09:09 AM
La Mar/Into the Void...

cahernandez
03-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I'd love to see Not So Pretty Now and/or Please. Metal and I'm Afraid of Americans would be cool too, although not quite as rare.

I'd say Not So Pretty Now is pretty rare...only played 4 times, according to the NIN Tour History page. It was played last in 2009, and only played once during that year!

Sarah K
03-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Oh and i really miss pinion, and Love is Not Enough. For me, Trent is at his best writing about addiction.
Please and LINE are the best songs about addiction ive ever heard.

I feel the same way... I know this song gets hated on, and I will get made fun of for this, but for me, With Teeth is that song. Never in my life have I heard a song that covers the highs(!), lows, ups, and downs of substance abuse like With Teeth. When I was on a quest to get myself clean, or at least functional again, I listened to NIN over and over again. I watched BYIT nearly every single night before bed. TDS saved me, and I truly believe that. None of my friends understand my obsession with NIN or Trent. But his music was there when I had nothing else to latch on to. I feel as if it saved my life.

nooneimportant77
03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Guys... guys... Perfect Drug.

But really, I'd like to see Deep. I think they played it when I saw them a whiiile ago.

ryanj101
03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
I think this is more than semi-rare (not sure it has actually ever been played) but Underneath it All would be amazing.

Also really like "No You Don't" and have never seen it live...

dvdglss
03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
I'd love to see some retired With Teeth Songs. Probably an unpopular opinion, but The Collector, TLBTB, or Getting Smaller.

And how about the return of other PHM era stuff? The Only Time on it's own!

But really, I see no reason why Underneath it All has NEVER been played live, especially with the Year Zero stuff already been proven to be able to be live. :mad:

I just really want to see that one live so bad!!!

implanted_microchip
03-25-2014, 11:52 AM
No, You Don't

Suck

Down In It

Please

I'm Afraid of Americans

Sin (I know it used to be a regular, but considering how it's been basically MIA for years upon years now I think it balances out into semi-rare)

Ruiner

Kyle
03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
I feel the same way... I know this song gets hated on, and I will get made fun of for this, but for me, With Teeth is that song. Never in my life have I heard a song that covers the highs(!), lows, ups, and downs of substance abuse like With Teeth. When I was on a quest to get myself clean, or at least functional again, I listened to NIN over and over again. I watched BYIT nearly every single night before bed. TDS saved me, and I truly believe that. None of my friends understand my obsession with NIN or Trent. But his music was there when I had nothing else to latch on to. I feel as if it saved my life.

The quiet piano part in the middle of the song is one of the most haunting parts of any NIN song (even if it's a little bit TOO quiet).

For my vote, it would be Physical just because then I would have seen everything on Broken live at one point or another. PHM would include a couple unrealistic songs as would TDS (namely BMWAG).

halo33
03-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Just Like You Imagined
anytime this song is played is just fine with me

And All That Could Have Been
maybe just once?

The Great Below
part of me is happy that this was only played during the Fragility tour. makes it feel special....
..but it *is* a damn good song, and I wouldnt mind seeing it live again.

The Perfect Drug
fer crissakes, when songs like Deep and Not So Pretty Now have been played live, there is NO excuse that this song should never be played.

Leaving Hope
so I could spontaneously combust.

I Would For You
because of the 9 damn Tension shows I went to, I had to miss this one EVERY TIME.

elevenism
03-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Shit, i FEEL you. No hate comin from this direction.
halo33 , my band is called just like you imagined. i fucking LOVE that shit. it sounds like...life.

Rubeninphoenix
03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
I definitely agree with La Mer. I was lucky to have caught Into the Void at the Las Vegas soundcheck that some of us were privileged to have been able to attend. I am also in agreement with The Great Below since it’s one of my three favorite tracks off of The Fragile.

magnolia
03-25-2014, 01:55 PM
No, You Don't

Suck

Down In It

Please

I'm Afraid of Americans

Sin (I know it used to be a regular, but considering how it's been basically MIA for years upon years now I think it balances out into semi-rare)

Ruiner

Big yes to all of these.
But also - The Fragile. It's my very favorite song. I know they played it a lot in 2008/2009, but I couldn't make any of those shows, and they didn't play it the only 2 times I've been able to see them. It's a long shot, but I am so hopeful that it will be one they play a bit on US leg... especially on their Austin date in August - it's my birthday. :) And I'm planning on a tattoo that day - finally going to get some of the lyrics on my wrist.

It would pretty much make my life complete to hear it live.

thefragile_jake
03-25-2014, 03:26 PM
This should be fun...

- Into the Void....(I know it was brought out a couple times during the Tension tour but I missed it...I highly doubt it will return in NIN 2014 without the 8 piece)
- The Great Below
- Everything (come on Trent, just do it already)
- We're in This Together....(would've made more sense at the Tension tour but alas)
- Metal
- Every Day is Exactly the Same
- I Do Not Want This
- Deep
- TDTWA (Another song I missed on the Tension tour)
- In Two

mfte
03-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Something random from PHM would be nice in addition to Sanctified. I would kill for Ringfinger 2014

I do not want this - probably my favourite from TDS

Eraser - such an epic jam

Where is everybody? - would it really be that hard to pull off live?

Inkė
03-25-2014, 04:13 PM
I'd love to get more songs from The Slip. I think it's the album that get the best treat live : Letting You, Head Down, Echoplex, Lights in the Sky...
Ringfinger 2014 is a great idea too.

BRoswell
03-25-2014, 04:31 PM
The Becoming
Just Like You Imagined
Ringfinger
Happiness In Slavery
Eraser
Into The Void
La Mer
Somewhat Damaged
The Mark Has Been Made
Gone, Still
Love Is Not Enough
With Teeth
You Know What You Are?
The Greater Good
Anything from Ghosts I-IV
Letting You
Head Down
Lights In The Sky
I Would For You
Everything (fuck the haters, play it already!)

pwing47
03-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Agree with Where Is Everybody, Ruiner, Ringfinger, and of course WITT and TPD.

Also, I might catch some flack for this, but for quite awhile I've actually wanted to hear a "modern" live version of That's What I Get. I could totally rock out to that.

Tumnayar
03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
CLOSER TO GOD
Happiness In Slavery
Deep
Non-Entity
The Great Below
Head Down
I Do Not Want This (with the actual talking parts)

If all these songs got played in one setlist, I would die happy.

also more 2014 PHM versions, the Seed 7 Sanctified gives me chills every time I listen to it.

Ryan
03-25-2014, 05:11 PM
I Do Not Want This (with the actual talking parts)

Y'hear that Trent?!

Kyle
03-25-2014, 05:33 PM
In 1994/95 it had "the actual talking parts" but they were prerecorded. Are you referring to that or to having them actually spoken?

Ryan
03-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Actually spoken would be ideal.

Tumnayar
03-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Yeah actually spoken by Trent, not pre-recorded, though I would take pre-recorded over nothing at all.

Kyle
03-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Has he ever done spoken word parts live?

IDNWT - either prerecorded or removed
TDS - removed
Closer - either prerecorded or altered to be more sung (not quite rapped but not quite sung either)
La Mer - removed but that's a but different.

ophelia_
03-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Letting You.

I am so sick of hearing Letting You live after this Australian tour that I'd be quite happy to never hear it again.

It just seemed to be an odd choice of song to repeat throughout the same tour.

SM Rollinger
03-25-2014, 06:08 PM
I am so sick of hearing Letting You live after this Australian tour that I'd be quite happy to never hear it again.

Maybe the Slip did really well down in your part of the world? If it did, its a shame HEAD DOWN (yeah! too late for that! bee-e-ooo b bee-e-ooO!) hasnt been played in years. Glad I caught that in 08 when it was getting some love. You just gotta love that synth breakdown too.

ophelia_
03-25-2014, 06:09 PM
And how about the return of other PHM era stuff? The Only Time on it's own!

I would absolutely lose my shit if I heard The Only Time live... It would be amazing!

Fairly certain half the people in the crowd would simultaneously jizz in their pants if it were to happen.

Ryan
03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Has he ever done spoken word parts live?

IDNWT - either prerecorded or removed
TDS - removed
Closer - either prerecorded or altered to be more sung (not quite rapped but not quite sung either)
La Mer - removed but that's a but different.

I don't get why TDS vocals are removed. The Way Out Is Through are kept, and he even added "whoaaa whoaaa whoaaaaaa" to The Mark Has Been Made in 2000!

Ryan
03-25-2014, 06:13 PM
P.S. - I'd like to see "Complication" back.

icecream
03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
The Hand that Feeds

jk

Down in it, anything from the TDS & Fragile that they don't play anymore/often, Last, Something I can Never Have, Line Begins to Blur, Beside You in Time and Right Where it Belongs, Home, In Two.

I forgot about The Slip, Lights in the Sky is the only one I haven't heard that I would like to. I have a soft spot for Discipline too

Kyle
03-25-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't get why TDS vocals are removed. The Way Out Is Through are kept, and he even added "whoaaa whoaaa whoaaaaaa" to The Mark Has Been Made in 2000!

Neither of those (especially TMHBM) are really spoken the way I was referring to.

pwing47
03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Too many good songs in this thread already. This would be my perfect encore of semi-rarities, though:

Trent comes back on stage and starts TDTWWA (the Quiet/Still version) as the band slowly makes its way back out when their parts come up. The energy picks back up with The Four Of Us Are Dying, which segues into Demon Seed. The show ends with In This Twilight and the full version (not just an Outro) of Zero Sum.

implanted_microchip
03-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Too many good songs in this thread already. This would be my perfect encore of semi-rarities, though:

Trent comes back on stage and starts TDTWWA (the Quiet/Still version) as the band slowly makes its way back out when their parts come up. The energy picks back up with The Four Of Us Are Dying, which segues into Demon Seed. The show ends with In This Twilight and the full version (not just an Outro) of Zero Sum.

That's basically how the encore of the Halloween date last year started (with TDTWWA Still version).

If they played Demon Seed at all I'd be happy.

Tumnayar
03-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Ah yeah, I forgot Home and In Two in my list of songs!

ophelia_
03-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Down in it

I would pay ridiculous amounts of money to see Trent get all hyped up gangster styles and do Down In It.

Sarah K
03-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Mmmhmmm. And The Only Time. It would be great. They should have done that when they had Pino on board.

Ryan
03-25-2014, 07:57 PM
I would pay ridiculous amounts of money to see Trent get all hyped up gangster styles and do Down In It.

He played that here in Australia back in 2007 or so near the encore:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2007/big-top-luna-park-sydney-australia-13d631a5.html

AgentofChaos
03-25-2014, 08:01 PM
I would say TDTWWA is a must for basically any set list. That jam is just all kinds of awesome. Much like Terrible Lie, I will never tire of seeing that song live. Only seen it twice in 15 tries.

TLBTB and BYIT combo also needs be a semi regular thing. It is the pinnacle of WT. And if he only played one song from The Slip I'd prefer it to be Head Down for sure.

I would also throw Ruiner into the mix, that guitar solo is an epic live moment - but it's very borderline since it was really only played a handful of times in the last 10 years, mostly during wave goodbye and the TDS shows. Some people are really missing the point here - if it hasn't been played since LITS then it probably isn't up for discussion, at least in this particular thread.

I was also lucky enough to see Into the Void once during Tension and it was flat out spectacular it should have been played waaaaay more, but not sure it would work as well as it did with the 4 piece now though.

ophelia_
03-25-2014, 08:13 PM
He played that here in Australia back in 2007 or so near the encore:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2007/big-top-luna-park-sydney-australia-13d631a5.html

Holy shit, I was at that concert! I didn't quite have the affinity for Down In It that I do now, so it probably didn't stick in my mind that much.

implanted_microchip
03-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Holy shit, I was at that concert! I didn't quite have the affinity for Down In It that I do now, so it probably didn't stick in my mind that much.

It also got played at least a few times that I know of in 2009. It was at the Wiltern "goodbye" show and the Bowery Ball Room show, the second Terminal 5 date, and the first Aragon show. I really think it could work its way back into setlists at some point; it's not been totally neglected!

ophelia_
03-25-2014, 08:40 PM
It also got played at least a few times that I know of in 2009. It was at the Wiltern "goodbye" show and the Bowery Ball Room show, the second Terminal 5 date, and the first Aragon show. I really think it could work its way back into setlists at some point; it's not been totally neglected!

Oh yeah, I know it's not the rarest song ever - but I didn't think I'd heard it live before (apparently that wasn't the case, haha).

I hope it makes its way into a few more setlists soon :)

Kyle
03-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Is it wrong that I'm reading this thread smiling because of how many of the songs people are listing I've seen? There's a lot I haven't though, so I'm not getting too smug or nothing. Just feeling a bit privileged I guess.

ophelia_
03-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Is it wrong that I'm reading this thread smiling because of how many of the songs people are listing I've seen? There's a lot I haven't though, so I'm not getting too smug or nothing. Just feeling a bit privileged I guess.

Yeah yeah, rub it in :P

Kyle
03-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Yeah yeah, rub it in :P

Dont worry. There's also a lot of songs on here that I haven't seen. Especially having missed (for various reasons, some financial some not) the wt shows and LITS.

Ryan
03-25-2014, 09:12 PM
I keep forgetting that I've seen Heresy, Last and Mr. Self Destruct live.

Kyle
03-25-2014, 09:25 PM
I keep forgetting that I've seen Heresy, Last and Mr. Self Destruct live.

MSD was actually the very first NIN song I've ever seen live (not counting Pinion of course).

Kyle
03-25-2014, 09:27 PM
My above post made me realize something. While we probably have all kind of different firsts, I'll bet well over half of the people here can say that as of now Hurt was the last NIN song they've seen live. It is for me.

pwing47
03-25-2014, 09:56 PM
I'll bet well over half of the people here can say that as of now Hurt was the last NIN song they've seen live. It is for me.

Same here, although "most recent" sounds better than "last," haha. I hope I will see at least one more live NIN song. (I'm not a grammar Nazi, I swear!)

There's a thread somewhere discussing which songs have fully ended the sets, and there aren't a ton of closers, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Sorry, I see you said "as of now" ... you win. I will read gooder next time.

Kyle
03-25-2014, 10:08 PM
I just wanted to use the word Last since that was one of the songs mentioned in the post that got me on this tangent.

edit - dammit. A better response would have been - it isn't meant to be the last. It's for right now.

implanted_microchip
03-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Since a lot of people are mentioning songs never played ever, I've gotta cast a vote for Tetsuo and Driver Down. If they played those two alongside Just Like You Imagined all in a row I'd die.

hani
03-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Heresy
Ruiner
No, You Don't
Please
All The Love In The World
The Collector
Getting Smaller
The Line Begins To Blur
Vessel
God Given
Echoplex
Head Down
Running

Volband
03-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Love Is Not Enough: Probably NIN's most underrated track, after the original Still songs. How can a show-opener dissappear in such a fashion?
Ruiner: This song is a killer. Much energy, so wow.
Anything from WT: I separated LINE, but the rest of the album is hated too for some reason. Something is up when you can rarely, or can't even get into the setlist on a series of tours that is named after the album you are on.
The Fragile: If I could ever see it live...
Deep: Again, a hated track, when it totally fits the TF-era. And it rocks. You hear me Trent? There are songs other than Wish and MOTP which rock!
Big Man With A Gun followed by Lights In The Sky: I just want him to open this way at a festival show. Those bitches won't even know what hit 'em.
Closer To God: It's like Closer, but better. (obviously with TOT breakdown, because every song with "Closer" in its' name needs it)

NINisamazing
03-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately, I dont think trent plays his best songs in a general setlist.

jmtd
03-28-2014, 05:05 AM
TLBTB I guess. I saw it at my first NIN gig and afaik not once since. Glad to see it in recent set lists.

elevenism
03-29-2014, 07:34 AM
but again, back in the days, pinion with trent slowly ripping through that cheesecloth thing...
i am really unhappy that i missed tension...cant fucking believe he didnt bring it to dallas...or tulsa...or somewhere around here. NIN usually hits dallas twice.
I (like a lot of you here) have been a fanboy nin geek for over 22 years, and i wanna see the NEW shit.
i've already seen the other shit, you know?
i wanna see new and rare shit...and honestly i would prefer NOT to hear Closer or THTF or Terrible Lie or MOTP or Only...they are all GREAT songs, and i understand a LOT of people want to hear them.
Those of us who want to see the new shit, and shit like Leaving Hope and The Way Out is Through etc... probably aren't the fans that pay the bills....
or are we? idk

implanted_microchip
03-29-2014, 12:46 PM
but again, back in the days, pinion with trent slowly ripping through that cheesecloth thing...
i am really unhappy that i missed tension...cant fucking believe he didnt bring it to dallas...or tulsa...or somewhere around here. NIN usually hits dallas twice.
I (like a lot of you here) have been a fanboy nin geek for over 22 years, and i wanna see the NEW shit.
i've already seen the other shit, you know?
i wanna see new and rare shit...and honestly i would prefer NOT to hear Closer or THTF or Terrible Lie or MOTP or Only...they are all GREAT songs, and i understand a LOT of people want to hear them.
Those of us who want to see the new shit, and shit like Leaving Hope and The Way Out is Through etc... probably aren't the fans that pay the bills....
or are we? idk

To be fair they did do 2 different Texas dates, not including Austin City Limits (although I realize that it's a gigantic state, but I'm really unfamiliar with the geography of it so they might've been pretty far from where you're at). And at the show I caught in FL there was no Closer and no Only (they actually didn't play Closer whatsoever that tour, and currently haven't played it this year either; Only was actually way less common on Tension than you'd think, too).

Also setlist-wise Tension seemed pretty fair to me. They played nearly all of Hesitation Marks at each show (I got 10 out of 14 at my date), played things like Even Deeper and The Day the World Went Away, and A Warm Place became a staple in the setlist -- a song that had only ever been done twice live before, and that was during full performances of TDS. While there were a lot of the standard tracks, I still think that's a fair makeup for such a visual-heavy and elaborate tour, where not much is going to change night to night.

elevenism
03-29-2014, 02:38 PM
dude...they played in el paso and that's it if i'm not mistaken...several hundred miles from the D. It's damn near california.
and as far as the setlist, that's what i meant...i WANTED to see the tension setlist, NOT the one that they will play with soundgarden

implanted_microchip
03-29-2014, 02:56 PM
dude...they played in el paso and that's it if i'm not mistaken...several hundred miles from the D. It's damn near california.
and as far as the setlist, that's what i meant...i WANTED to see the tension setlist, NOT the one that they will play with soundgarden

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/20131105.html

There was a San Antonio date.

I really do not know my own country well enough, sorry; didn't realize El Paso is that far away. Nevertheless there were 2 dates along with the ACL taping (I know that was a really exclusive show, but nevertheless I think it still does count as a tour date). I'm sorry you missed it! I know it must've sucked, and I don't want to seem insensitive or mean, just letting you know that there were a few different dates.

Also I misunderstood what you meant about the setlists, sorry. Honestly at the moment even though I'm not the biggest fan of the current setlists, I still think songs like Beside You In Time, The Great Destroyer and Me, I'm Not will make for some good moments and I'd be surprised if the setlists stayed identical; there's a full month between the final Latin America date and the first European date, and then over a month from the last Europe date and the first US date. I'd be really surprised if NIN didn't rehearse new songs and work on new visuals; TR has said over and over recently that he plans on doing just that, and call me naive but I actually believe him considering the timing is absolutely perfect for it. They put Tension together in what, 2 weeks or so? They got 8 members rehearsed on the 30-40 tracks the played alongside the massive visuals and really incredible technical accomplishments of that tour, and kept improving small things as it continued. I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible about the NIN+SG tour.

elevenism
03-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Thank you so much cause you kinda hurt my feelers. kleiner352, man, switching to a four piece isn't a good sign.
I doubt the setlists will be up to par with the tension setlists.
But we can hope!

MrSlfDstruct
03-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Last and WITT . . . although both of these were a little more satisfying in their album versions as the key is changed for live performances. The blistering vocals are really the highlight of both, but I'd love to get my face ripped off by the guitar riffs in Last.

Mr. Self Destruct isn't super rare, but it isn't super common . . . Ruiner . . . I'd really like to hear Kinda I Want to revamped, I love the I WANT TO!! parts . . . The Only Time . . . The Great Below . . . Into The Void, again not super rare, but not common either . . . Get Down Make Love . . .

I'd love to see any one of these take the place of MOTP, Piggy, THTF especially, TF/Wretched, maybe even HLAH. HLAH isn't quite as good without Trent on the chorus.

Kyle
03-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Am I the only one that the following is true of? The song Reptile doesn't do much for me. I don't dislike it but it's far from my favorite. But I love to hear it live. And I don't mean a live recording. In fact I usually zone out when I see or hear a live recording of it whether it be professional, audience or other. But when I'm there in the crowd it grabs me.

edit - and I realize this post doesn't completely fit this thread since Reptile isn't exactly rare, but we are dying with what we want to hear live.

MrSlfDstruct
03-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Live versions of Reptile are what made me love the song. It wasn't one of my favorites for years, until live recordings started to become readily available and it clicked for me. Now it's one of my favorite tracks, period. Great to listen to LOUD, I can't help but move along with the chugging guitar.

I was actually just watching the Halloween recording with Gary Numan about 20 minutes ago. I was lucky enough to catch that show live, great version.

elevenism
03-30-2014, 10:45 AM
yeah part of what is so dope seeing reptile live for me is hearing the little noises at the beginning and thinking OH SHIT, HERE IT COMES...
and then those motherfucking green lights. i say goddamn!

WorzelG
03-30-2014, 11:18 AM
I'd love to hear Reptile or Something I Can Never Have in one of the UK shows. For some reason I never thought SICNH was rare till I discovered I'd only heard it live once out of 10 times

hobochic
03-30-2014, 12:08 PM
It's mind-bending to me that Trent doesn't appreciate Happiness In Slavery and insists on playing old watered down versions of his most overplayed tracks.
HIS isn't even semi rare these days, it's just a legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdt3I8DyUKI

Volband
03-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Live versions of Reptile are what made me love the song. It wasn't one of my favorites for years, until live recordings started to become readily available and it clicked for me. Now it's one of my favorite tracks, period. Great to listen to LOUD, I can't help but move along with the chugging guitar.

I was actually just watching the Halloween recording with Gary Numan about 20 minutes ago. I was lucky enough to catch that show live, great version.
I was the same, except I had to see it live. It was always just a song for me, and I don't know what happened there, but totally blew me away.

implanted_microchip
03-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I've always loved Reptile, but seeing it live definitely brought a whole new element to it for me. I'm really hoping I get to see it again, especially since the only time I have was with Gary Numan, and despite loving that performance immensely I'm really looking forward to seeing it the "proper" way, if that makes sense. I didn't really think Reptile was all too uncommon, though; it seems to get played quite a bit on every tour.

Ruiner really ought to make a comeback in the setlists -- out of everything on TDS, that's easily my number 1 choice of what I want to see live. If that and Mr. Self Destruct could replace some of the other TDS songs that are staples (I know it'll never happen, but if they took out Piggy and put in Ruiner -- just imagine going from MotP into that), I'd be so incredibly happy that they could just play an hour long version of THTF after that and I'd be okay with it.

No You Don't is definitely a Fragile-era semi-rarity that I want to see back in setlists. It's got a ton of energy and sounds great live, and it's been played often enough before that it doesn't seem like an impossibility.

Non-Entity is my choice for uncommon b-sides. I can't get enough of it.

Do remixes count? Because Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) has gotten played a fair amount of times in the past, and if that was to replace the normal version of Piggy for a whole tour, I don't think most of us would complain.

The Greater Good is an over-looked song as far as I'm concerned and the version they did of it mixed with Pinion during LitS was absolutely god-tier as far as I'm concerned. If they used that as an opener some time (not soon, since Pinion/Eater of Dreams seems absolutely amazing) it would kick so much ass.

ophelia_
03-30-2014, 07:17 PM
HLAH isn't quite as good without Trent on the chorus.

Take that back! :O lol.

I love RFs vocals and I'm pretty happy to hear him sing as much as possible, especially with HLAH.

Actually, RF needs to start a band and front it.

ophelia_
03-30-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd be so incredibly happy that they could just play an hour long version of THTF after that and I'd be okay with it.

Woah woah woah, let's not get too crazy there!

implanted_microchip
03-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Woah woah woah, let's not get too crazy there!

Fine, Maybe Just Once.

ophelia_
03-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Fine, Maybe Just Once.

oooh No, You Don't!

Tumnayar
03-30-2014, 08:03 PM
It's mind-bending to me that Trent doesn't appreciate Happiness In Slavery and insists to keep on playing old watered down versions of his most overplayed tracks.
HIS isn't even semi rare these days, it's just a legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdt3I8DyUKI

No shit, that's the one song I have always really really wanted to see live.

Your Name Here
03-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Non-entity
The Becoming
Sunspots
Last
Into The Void
Heresey
Home
Dead Souls (Joy Division cover)

HurtinMinorKey
03-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Head Down. It's easily his best song since Year Zero.

Anomander
03-30-2014, 11:10 PM
The Great Below
Ringfinger
That's What I Get
Into The Void

Ryan
03-31-2014, 05:11 AM
Take that back! :O lol.

I love RFs vocals and I'm pretty happy to hear him sing as much as possible, especially with HLAH.

Actually, RF needs to start a band and front it.

Robin is working on a solo album with him singing on all the tracks isn't he? There was an article about it recently.

ophelia_
03-31-2014, 06:57 AM
Robin is working on a solo album with him singing on all the tracks isn't he? There was an article about it recently.

Seriously? How did I not know about this!

it's not April 1st yet, so I'm gonna assume this is not April fools trickery :p

Ryan
03-31-2014, 06:58 AM
Google Robin Finck solo album!

http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/01/robin-finck-has-a-solo-album-in-the-works/

pinata89
03-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Happiness in Slavery - I think it is totally doable, personally. If TR would let Finck and the rest of the group do the "slave screams" parts, I believe it would be a success.

Please - Probably one of my favorite Fragile-era tunes. Even though I do not confidently think that TR can capture the desperation vocally due to his now more baritone vocal range, I would still love to see it live....and, not to mention, a nod to this excellent message board:D.

Underneath It All - This has never been played live, and I know this is kind of a strange choice, but I find myself very interested in how TR would approach this for a live setting.

I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally - (Same reasoning as "Underneath It All")

Sin - Hasn't played this much lately; would love to hear it live again as well.

elevenism
03-31-2014, 10:37 AM
SICNH wasn't rare back in the day.
And somehow i never got to see the becoming.
Trent would sing "and goddamn this noise inside my head...." and then play something different.

Volband
03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Happiness in Slavery - I think it is totally doable, personally. If TR would let Finck and the rest of the group do the "slave screams" parts, I believe it would be a success.
He clearly has something against it, that song was never not doable.

I wish one day Trent would go through all of his songs in an interview, and explain why did he chose them to be always played, and why did he abandoned them, or never play them. Some of them are kinda obvious, like ILFTJYF, which is a very personal song and it would only be mediocore live. Yes, great lyrics, great drums, but it would never work live the way it is. That being said, every song could appear once in a while.

jmtd
03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
That'd be a long interview. There are nearly 200 songs if ninwiki is to be believed.

Wretchedest
04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
When they put TGWTDT on the live table, they opened a. Can of worms. Anything off of that would be great.

Ive seen most of my favorites live... Except for Sunspots, And All That Could Have Been, Happiness in Slavery, Kinda I Want To.

Those are really rare or altogether have never been played. Also, I only really like the demo version of Kinda I Want To, so my chances of getting that are really slim.

Merovee
04-01-2014, 04:14 PM
"Various Methods of Escape"

demo
04-10-2014, 01:22 PM

this blew my mind. What?

I'd choose Letting You over MOTP, for example.

Anyway, a lot of people already mentioned a lot of previously played, semi-rare tracks. It's odd to consider Sin "semi rare", no?
I'm quite surprised Head Down didn't stick around for this era.. and Echoplex came back. Another "wtf" moment, personally.

I'd be totally happy if Heresy, Last, God Given, Ruiner, The Fragile (more of a Jerome-type drumming tho) and WITT all came back a little bit more often.

vvv -- Yes, add Meet Your Master to my list. :)

homphgomph
04-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I've been waiting years to see Meet Your Master make a comeback.
And I'm hopelessly waiting for We're In This Together because I think it's technically been played multiple times...

Charmingly Miserable
04-11-2014, 12:40 AM
When they put TGWTDT on the live table, they opened a. Can of worms. Anything off of that would be great.

Oraculum, baby.

Throw_it_away9
07-06-2014, 12:17 PM
And All That Could Have Been-although it would seem that we would need to have another round of intimate radio shows (a la summer 2006) to get something like that.

Then, Sunspots and Happiness in Slavery!

Otherwise, duh, The Perfect Drug!

Ryan
07-06-2014, 06:57 PM
And All That Could Have Been-although it would seem that we would need to have another round of intimate radio shows (a la summer 2006) to get something like that.

Then, Sunspots and Happiness in Slavery!

Otherwise, duh, The Perfect Drug!

None of those are semi-rare apart from Happiness In Slavery, we aren't counting ones that haven't been played live at all. :)

trollmanen
07-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Deep live was awesome, would definitely want to hear that again. Please would be at the top of my list, along with Ruiner, Down In It, and The Fragile.

kel
07-06-2014, 09:53 PM
"non-entity" was neat during the wt summer amphitheater tour. i also loved seeing "home" at the reno hilton. they should both come back (maybe speed up "non-entity," and "home" as an opener).

implanted_microchip
07-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Since it seems to have been a Tension exclusive, does Running count? Because I'd definitely love to see Running again. One of the most interesting songs musically and visually from Tension, and one of my absolute favorites from HM.

hani
07-07-2014, 04:06 AM
Get Down Make Love again would be really cool. although probably Trent won't do it ever again.

+ God Given, Echoplex, Head Down, RUNNING and In Two plsssssssss

tony.parente
07-07-2014, 04:52 AM
The Becoming, La Mer, The Great Below

Ash512
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
THTF, HLAH and Hurt.

r_k_f
07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
please please please do another block of instrumentals.....

martin_b
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Running
In Two
I Would For You

Sin
Suck

Into The Void
No, You Don't
PLEAAAAAAASE

HERESY
RUINER

implanted_microchip
07-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Mentioned it in another thread: Suck. Has the right mix of anger and grooviness that would fit with what NIN has been this past year.

Non-Entity

I Do Not Want This

Ruiner

Down In It (at this point I'd think it counts as semi-rare, though it's one of the most played overall, from what, 2008 on it's been sporadically played)

The Way Out is Through (got a ton of play at festivals last year, since then, nothing; maybe the top Fragile song that's played enough to hope for that I want to see, alongside TBC)

Love Is Not Enough (seriously, it's been too long!)

Meet Your Master

virushopper
07-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Probably Ruiner. I have heard Aaron's version and seen Robin perform it back in 2009.

Love that solo.

Throw_it_away9
07-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Probably Ruiner. I have heard Aaron's version and seen Robin perform it back in 2009.

Love that solo.

I want to say I remember an interview where Aaron was talking about how he loved the Ruiner solo - there was a funny name that he/the interviewer had for it too.

But if not Ruiner, Deep for me.

Papagolash
07-18-2014, 02:22 AM
Deep, grossly underrated song live. Other songs I'd like to see since they were done on one tour or era would be With Teeth, God Given, and Non Entity.

[73]
07-19-2014, 07:13 AM
La Mer / The Great Below
Into The Void
Please
With Teeth
The Line Begins To Blur

Atu
07-19-2014, 07:18 AM
;199429']La Mer / The Great Below
Into The Void

La Mer/Into the Void

FTFY :)

KStawski
07-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Please
Ruiner
Sin
No, You Don't
Deep

And I may be the only one on these two: Starfuckers and Not So Pretty Now

theSplinter04
07-19-2014, 10:02 AM
More Ghosts. No, seriously.

The_Prowler
07-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie
I'm Afraid of Americans
Into The Void
Please
The Becoming
Heresy
Down In It
Get Down, Make Love
Deep
Demon Seed
Love Is Not Enough
Non Entity
Metal
We're In This Together
Starfuckers Inc.
Complication
No, You Don't

I know the thread is "semi-rare" and not "never been played", but I would love to hear his version of Zoo Station live. And I can't be the only one who wants to hear them do Immigrant Song with either Mariqueen or one of his backup singers (preferably Mariqueen).

velvetgrass
07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. I'm going to finally see Nine Inch Nails live for the first time this Thursday, July 24 in Illinois. Three songs that would be an unlikely dream for me to see live since they haven't been played on the Hesitation Marks cycle thus far (as far as I know) are Heresy, Right Where It Belongs, and Capital G.

telee.kom
07-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Literally this https://soundcloud.com/nineset19/sets/nine-inch-nails-ritc-playlist