PDA

View Full Version : What to expect production wise for the North American tour?

Digital_Man
03-24-2014, 09:41 AM
The way it's billed I'm going to assume Nine Inch Nails is headlining every night. Does this mean they'll have their full production like on Tension and Soundgarden will just use basic lights and maybe a screen? Will it be updated to accommodate outdoor amphitheaters or will they have a stripped down version like on the Australian shows?

Really hoping they treat it like a Nine Inch Nails concert and Soundgarden just opens... there's no reason for SG to have their own lights and stuff if it's just going to detract from the main event.

halo eighteen
03-24-2014, 09:43 AM
There is no 'main event' - this is a co-headline tour. It's been stated absolutely nowhere that NIN will even play last every night. I'd expect something quite stripped down compared to Tension, but who knows with Trent.

fillow
03-24-2014, 10:25 AM
White strobes for Wish.
Red/blue strobes for Gave Up.
Red for Closer. Green for Reptile.

Sarah K
03-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah... I'm honestly not expecting much.

r_k_f
03-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Rob's been extremely quiet lately... i'd like to assume that he is constructing the ultimate light/glitch/aneurism inducing Voltron-esque Robot from all the lighting rigs from previous tour productions..

billpulsipher
03-24-2014, 10:53 AM
80 minute sets. plenty of performances of hurt, HLAH, THTF, Only, Survivalism, March of the Pigs, Piggy, no Fragile songs, no rare Broken or PHM songs, no rare TDS songs

WorzelG
03-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Rob's been extremely quiet lately... i'd like to assume that he is constructing the ultimate light/glitch/aneurism inducing Voltron-esque Robot from all the lighting rigs from previous tour productions..
if he is it better be for Europe is all I can say

implanted_microchip
03-24-2014, 11:41 AM
80 minute sets. plenty of performances of hurt, HLAH, THTF, Only, Survivalism, March of the Pigs, Piggy, no Fragile songs, no rare Broken or PHM songs, no rare TDS songs

I hate how much I've been agreeing with this guy lately. Is this normal?

gorast
03-24-2014, 11:45 AM
It's not like most of the things he's saying are bad. It's just the fact that it's coming from bill.

The last part is the only part to potentially worry about, but I don't know. I've heard that Soundgarden doesn't fuck around with stale setlists, so maybe Trent will acknowledge that and do the same thing.

sheepdean
03-24-2014, 11:47 AM
I imagine they will be rotating who opens as with QOTSA. Soundgarden are not support, and if you consider them such you won't enjoy their set.

As for the production, probably will be very similar to Oz, they can't do a big rig unless the bands share effects or something, which would be a pain. But you'll probably still get better than Europe.

Digital_Man
03-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Everything I've seen has Nine Inch Nails above Soundgarden or it says Soundgarden is supporting Nine Inch Nails. My bad.

I hope they use the tension set up again, it would be a shame if they just use it for one tour.

TheRealNs1
03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Everything I've seen has Nine Inch Nails above Soundgarden or it says Soundgarden is supporting Nine Inch Nails. My bad.

Agreed, the tour language most certainly makes it sound like SG would be opening up for NIN.

If SG opens up for NIN, I say a stripped down tension show is in order. If SG/NIN flips a coin, then I would presume it's a similar rig to the QOTSA/NIN shows?

sheepdean
03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Spoiler: NIN/QOTSA didn't really flip a coin

icecream
03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I expect something like the NINJA string of dates. Doubt Trent wants to pull off another huge production like Tension and the festivals just yet. But, he is a workaholic so you never know.

sick among the pure
03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
I personally hope we have a more stripped down visual show than Tension, simply because it opens up the possibility of changing setlists more. We all know a super visual show means a rigid setlist.

TheRealNs1
03-24-2014, 06:01 PM
I personally hope we have a more stripped down visual show than Tension, simply because it opens up the possibility of changing setlists more. We all know a super visual show means a rigid setlist.

LOL, you haven't seen "rigid setlists" until you've been a Tool fan.

Krazy
03-24-2014, 06:11 PM
I'd be super happy with something similar to what they pulled off during the '06 summer tour.

Alas a co-headlining tour doesn't really get my hopes up for anything, probably gonna use the stuff they had Down Under- which might actually look a bit better at amphitheaters that have tiered seating.

Ryan
03-24-2014, 06:12 PM
White strobes for Wish.
Red/blue strobes for Gave Up.
Red for Closer. Green for Reptile.

Orange for Burn.

draven
03-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Orange for Burn.
strobes, lasers & pyros for the frail

Ryan
03-24-2014, 06:23 PM
strobes, lasers & pyros for the frail

Rammstein-like rockets for La Mer.

icecream
03-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Alas a co-headlining tour doesn't really get my hopes up for anything, probably gonna use the stuff they had Down Under- which might actually look a bit better at amphitheaters that have tiered seating.
Some different Fragile songs would be nice. They have time off between S.A, Europe and the N.A legs, hopefully some different songs get into the setlists

Ryan
03-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Some different Fragile songs would be nice. They have time off between S.A, Europe and the N.A legs, hopefully some different songs get into the setlists

"Please" would be nice, plus the appendage. That's never been done live before with +Appendage and would sound ace.

Moebius
03-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Rammstein-like rockets for La Mer.

Confetti cannons for Hurt

TheRealNs1
03-24-2014, 06:46 PM
fuck it, house lights for the entire 2 hours.

#99ProblemsAndBudgetIs1

sick among the pure
03-24-2014, 07:40 PM
LOL, you haven't seen "rigid setlists" until you've been a Tool fan.

I went to 2 shows with the exact, song for song, same setlist. I don't think it gets more rigid than that?

implanted_microchip
03-24-2014, 07:41 PM

I'd say the same thing, but then looking at the Australia tour, I really doubt that would happen. The visuals were pretty stripped down compared to Tension but the setlists had little real change, more just change in ordering than anything.

I'd really be happy with something like the festival production from last year; it was cohesive and looked fantastic without being super-focused on the visual element of everything. If we're only getting 80 minutes of NIN, then I'd really like some amount of visuals to add to it.

Oh and as for the different effects for individual songs, you all know you want the Japanese backup dancers for God Given. It's gonna happen.

TheRealNs1
03-24-2014, 07:46 PM
I went to 2 shows with the exact, song for song, same setlist. I don't think it gets more rigid than that?

Might've gotten unlucky? If you look at all the songs played in NZ/AUZ/JP, it's quite a few. Hell just look at Day 1/2/3 in Japan.

Tool toured through CAN/MX/US and everyone got 9-11 songs out of a pool of 13 or 14.

here's how bad it was/is, fansite made this shirt:

http://i2.cpcache.com/product/398977163/setlist_lol.jpg?color=White&height=350&width=350
http://i2.cpcache.com/product/398977163/setlist_lol.jpg?side=Back&color=White&height=350&width=350

Krazy
03-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Here's a visual I'd like TR to get rid: his Bieber pants. Even he can't make those things look cool.

And no, I'm not talking about Trent doing a strip mid show. :P

TheRealNs1
03-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Here's a visual I'd like TR to get rid: his Bieber pants. Even he can't make those things look cool.

And no, I'm not talking about Trent doing a strip mid show. :P

they are indeed terrible.

gorast
03-24-2014, 10:49 PM
What are you talking about, those are the only reason I even go to shows.

icecream
03-25-2014, 12:11 AM
"Please" would be nice, plus the appendage. That's never been done live before with +Appendage and would sound ace.
I just want to hear The Way Out is Through at least once.

sick among the pure
03-25-2014, 04:46 AM
I will never understand how bands can do this. Play the same 9-14 song sets for an entire tour. Don't they get fucking bored playing the same stuff night after night after night?

Maybe, because I'm not a musician on tour, I have no clue. But I don't think too many people would give a fuck if forgoing a lazer light setup or a giant digital screen meant a handful of surprises in the context of a unique setlist each night. It might keep the band on their toes too, if they were delivering a truly different live experience to each city they rolled through.

I, for one, would even give zero fucks if TR walked out onstage and said "we're just going to let the lighting crew do whatever they want while they try to keep up with this headfuck of a setlist we're playing for you tonight." Because I don't remember and don't care how crazy the lights were during those six nights in 2006 when they kicked into 'Only', but I DO remember those 2009 NYC shows where they played TDS front-to-back and threw in that cover of "Atmosphere" somewhere along the way, too.

I remember both. My first LITS show, since I had avoided setlist and visuals spoilers, was amazing. Then I saw the second leg of LITS, and got the exact same set (actually, minus one song) and I remember thinking "well, yeah, the lights are still cool... but I know what song is coming up next... for the whole set". Even got the same 2 ZY trippy screen shit songs, which mostly upset me because Me, I'm Not and The Great Destroyer were my 2 favorite songs off that album and I never got to see them. What's really weird about having the exact same set list, while there were a few changes along with the YZ songs on a semi-regular basis, is that it was the same market. So if there were people seeing the show for a second time, they would have gone to the same first show as I did. If you're playing the same market twice, and have the option to switch up the setlist and have done so at other stops, why wouldn't you do it then of all times?

Actually, the light show that I remember the most is the winter WT arena tour, because it was my first show. I went into it not knowing at all what to expect. The only NIN live I had ever seen or heard was AATCHB. I knew the band lineup was different, but that was pretty much it. I remember I was in awe of the screen for TLBTB and I went between watching the line grow across the background and trigger the WT light things, and watching Trent, and it was an amazing show.

So yeah, I love cool visuals, but also love a varied setlist. Thing is, how many people at each show do you think have seen enough NIN shows to have a list of "I've seen these songs plenty"? Now cut that down to how many people have seen another NIN show on the same tour? I'm sure for the majority of people at these shows, having a super cool visual show is more important than how different the setlist was from the night before. Doesn't mean we can't complain, though.

WorzelG
03-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Even got the same 2 ZY trippy screen shit songs, which mostly upset me because Me, I'm Not and The Great Destroyer were my 2 favorite songs off that album and I never got to see them. What's really weird about having the exact same set list, while there were a few changes along with the YZ songs on a semi-regular basis, is that it was the same market. So if there were people seeing the show for a second time, they would have gone to the same first show as I did. If you're playing the same market twice, and have the option to switch up the setlist and have done so at other stops, why wouldn't you do it then of all times?
that sucks, I read somewhere he had a spreadsheet of all the songs played at every show so he could tell i he'd played X in a certain place so it could be changed next time. wonder if that still happens? It was some interview somewhere

ethan829
03-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Both LITS shows I saw were amazing. The setlists varied just enough to keep me from getting bored, but I still got to see all the staples and (imo) the best of the new stuff. Really, I was too in awe of the production to care about the setlists being similar. Then I saw the NIN/JA tour in Chicago and was blown away. The setlist was incredibe, even if we didn't get the planned encore and Trent forgot some words to Terrible Lie. The setlist flowed amzingly well, and I got to see some of my favorite "rarer" tracks, and more from The Fragile. Tension 2013 was also great, mostly just because NIN was touring again. I loved the 8-piece band and what each member brought to the stage. The Setlist wasn't the greatest, but I really have no complaints since I got to see Even Deeper. Here's hoping they can emulate what they did on the Nin/JA/Wave Goodbye tour(s).

http://i.imgur.com/gvJsvyu.png
EDIT: I know, typos. Fixed them in the actual spreadsheet.

Kyle
03-25-2014, 11:45 AM
I just put in my blu ray of Avengers and I'm pissed because it's the same fucking movie I watched last time. They didn't change anything.

(I was going to say Star Wars but I don't think this joke/analogy works for that movie)

minarets77
03-25-2014, 11:46 AM
I am pretty sure the backup singers are going to return.

Kyle
03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Might've gotten unlucky? If you look at all the songs played in NZ/AUZ/JP, it's quite a few. Hell just look at Day 1/2/3 in Japan.

Tool toured through CAN/MX/US and everyone got 9-11 songs out of a pool of 13 or 14.

here's how bad it was/is, fansite made this shirt:

http://i2.cpcache.com/product/398977163/setlist_lol.jpg?color=White&height=350&width=350
http://i2.cpcache.com/product/398977163/setlist_lol.jpg?side=Back&color=White&height=350&width=350

Nin circa FDTS tour

pinion
mr self destruct
sin
march of the pigs
piggy
reptile
gave up
happiness in slavery
eraser
hurt
the downward spiral
wish
suck
either Ruiner or the only time or nothing at all or sometimes burn I think
down in it
head like a hole
tracks 7-97 on broken
(assuming Trent wasn't too pissed off for an encore)
closer
dead souls
either I do not want this or skip to the next song
something I can never have

that was the setlist at every single show. I think there was a three night stint in Los Angeles where he mixed it up a bit but other than that it varied nothing from that setlist. And I don't care. It was a great show. If I had a time machine watching it again would be the second thing I would do (first=winning lottery ticket). I don't get the whole complaining about the same setlist bit. If you don't like it don't go. Or go once. I don't expect the whole show to be catered to the fans who are attending their twenty fifth NIN gig because if they're watching the band twenty five times and complaining about what they're getting then why the hell are they going to twenty five shows?

edit - only difference between the NIN and tool shows are the number of songs even though the tool show was probably longer.

r_k_f
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
I'd like to see a show close with "And All That Could Have Been"

slave2thewage
03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
I forgot how long those LITS setlists were. <3

m15a
03-25-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't get the whole complaining about the same setlist bit. If you don't like it don't go. Or go once. I don't expect the whole show to be catered to the fans who are attending their twenty fifth NIN gig because if they're watching the band twenty five times and complaining about what they're getting then why the hell are they going to twenty five shows?

I almost completely agree with this, but I think it'd be reasonable to guess (but not *assume*) that the set lists for this leg will have some variation to them, based on the NIN/QOTSA shows. But even if there is variation, if you are going to 2 or 3 shows, there's always the possibility of getting unlucky and getting 2 shows with very similar songs. (Assuming you don't want that. I saw two Tension shows and kind of wanted to see a couple songs a second time.)

I haven't followed the set lists of Tool shows quite as closely, but if their set lists are always similar, then I agree there's no real reason to complain about them being the same in the future. (Same is true if you're a time traveling NIN fan.)

Kyle
03-25-2014, 01:53 PM
I almost completely agree with this, but I think it'd be reasonable to guess (but not *assume*) that the set lists for this leg will have some variation to them, based on the NIN/QOTSA shows. But even if there is variation, if you are going to 2 or 3 shows, there's always the possibility of getting unlucky and getting 2 shows with very similar songs. (Assuming you don't want that. I saw two Tension shows and kind of wanted to see a couple songs a second time.)

I haven't followed the set lists of Tool shows quite as closely, but if their set lists are always similar, then I agree there's no real reason to complain about them being the same in the future. (Same is true if you're a time traveling NIN fan.)

dont get me wrong. As a multiple NIN show attendee I would love a completely different setlist at each show. I'm not expecting it though and I'm definitely not going to complain about it if they're not. I haven't been to a whole ton of concerts, but of the various bands I have seen, the only one with consistently different setlists every night is Pearl Jam (and soon soundgarden I guess). The norm seems to be a pretty consistent setlist with minor variation, usually less than we got on Tension. And yet if you go to message boards for those bands, you get post after post of people whining acting like their band is the only one that does such a thing and they'll find examples of the few bands that don't to show what their band should be doing.

Heck for for some shows if I'm not familiar with everything the band has put out, I'll go to setlist.fm and find the recent tour listings and make up my own playlist of the upcoming show. Usually works.

Krazy
03-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Nin circa FDTS tour

pinion
mr self destruct
sin
march of the pigs
piggy
reptile
gave up
happiness in slavery
eraser
hurt
the downward spiral
wish
suck
either Ruiner or the only time or nothing at all or sometimes burn I think
down in it
head like a hole
tracks 7-97 on broken
(assuming Trent wasn't too pissed off for an encore)
closer
dead souls
either I do not want this or skip to the next song
something I can never have

that was the setlist at every single show. I think there was a three night stint in Los Angeles where he mixed it up a bit but other than that it varied nothing from that setlist. And I don't care. It was a great show. If I had a time machine watching it again would be the second thing I would do (first=winning lottery ticket). I don't get the whole complaining about the same setlist bit. If you don't like it don't go. Or go once. I don't expect the whole show to be catered to the fans who are attending their twenty fifth NIN gig because if they're watching the band twenty five times and complaining about what they're getting then why the hell are they going to twenty five shows?

edit - only difference between the NIN and tool shows are the number of songs even though the tool show was probably longer.

Apples to oranges. TR had 2 full albums and an EP (along with a couple/few covers), and was touring for promotion of TDS.

Tool, as much as I enjoy the experience of their live shows, has been doing a brutally similar set list since 2009- and they aren't attempting to promote anything (unless you follow Maynard who attempts to shove his wine down your throat).

Outside of the Tool set list probably being longer in time, it really isn't- particularly if you're counting their BS fucking around for 3 minutes in between songs. Agree with the rest of your post.

tony.parente
03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
I hope it's absolutely zero production, literally just stage lights.
Then we can have a different setlist every night.

Kyle
03-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Apples to oranges. TR had 2 full albums and an EP (along with a couple/few covers), and was touring for promotion of TDS.

Tool, as much as I enjoy the experience of their live shows, has been doing a brutally similar set list since 2009- and they aren't attempting to promote anything (unless you follow Maynard who attempts to shove his wine down your throat).

Outside of the Tool set list probably being longer in time, it really isn't- particularly if you're counting their BS fucking around for 3 minutes in between songs. Agree with the rest of your post.

Fragility was the same thing. That was when NIN had 4.5 albums if we count TF as 2 and Broken as .5. Tool has 4.5 albums (if we count Opiate as .5). I just used FDTS as my example because it was the first NIN show I attended and it was so life changing that I had the setlist memorized by the time I left the venue (and I'm seriously not exaggerating at all). Fragility would require looking it up.

The rest kinda furthers my point. If you're going to a Tool show, clearly you should know what to expect and not be disappointed when you get it.

Krazy
03-25-2014, 06:24 PM
That was the point- Tool has been basically doing the same thing for at least 5 years. I don't fault any artist, including NIN, to have a mostly static set list when doing a tour for album promotion. Tool doesn't have an excuse, except MAYBE MJK's voice isn't what it once was. That might limit songs they want to do. He won't even scream the end of Vicarious anymore, when he actually even does the attempt to sing the end.

That being said I wouldn't expect NINJA/WG set lists for this tour. I would expect (hope?) that he varies the final songs a bit rather than the usual THTF/HLAH/Hurt- been there done that here in NA.

We'll see I guess. If people end up bitching about the 90 minute of songs, all I have to say is you've probably seen NIN too many times. Since it's going to be a varied crowd with SG fans we very well could get a greatest hits type of set list, I'm personally OK with that- "know your crowd" and all.

icecream
03-25-2014, 06:39 PM
If people end up bitching about the 90 minute of songs, all I have to say is you've probably seen NIN too many times.
Can you see NIN too many times? :p

I haven't seen Tool yet, as much as I would love to. Is it worth it now, has MJK's voice gotten worse?

sick among the pure
03-25-2014, 06:39 PM
I am pretty sure the backup singers are going to return.

Unfortunately, I am 99% sure they're not, as per conversing with them.

Krazy
03-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Can you see NIN too many times? :p

I haven't seen Tool yet, as much as I would love to. Is it worth it now, has MJK's voice gotten worse?

1) If people come on here or anywhere else to bitch and NIN's set list ruined THEIR evening, yes, said person has seen NIN too many times.

2) MJK's voice isn't "bad", he's just getting older and harder to belt some of the stuff out (not a whole lot different than Trent, but MJK does seem to put less effort in- not a deal breaker though), and he uses the voice box quite a bit. I would absolutely tell a person to go check out a Tool show if they haven't seen one yet. Much like NIN's past high production tours it's quite the visual experience.

TheRealNs1
03-25-2014, 07:34 PM
nah there is no excuse for tool. they even have a 15 minute intermission now - with house lights. it's a total money grab but IDGAF, stinkfist me you fucking hookers with penises. just take my fucking money.

didn't want to totally side track this thread with Tool stuff, but you guys seriously have no idea how good you got it. Tool fans are shitting bricks because they bought the 2009 LITS screens for the 2014 tour and use it for like 2 songs.

(I don't know if they actually bought it from NIN, but it's the same goddamn rig with less awesomeness)

Krazy
03-25-2014, 07:44 PM
nah there is no excuse for tool. they even have a 15 minute intermission now - with house lights. it's a total money grab but IDGAF, stinkfist me you fucking hookers with penises. just take my fucking money.

didn't want to totally side track this thread with Tool stuff, but you guys seriously have no idea how good you got it. Tool fans are shitting bricks because they bought the 2009 LITS screens for the 2014 tour and use it for like 2 songs.

(I don't know if they actually bought it from NIN, but it's the same goddamn rig with less awesomeness)

2008! ;)

Yeah, not a whole lot going on with the screens like NIN's LITS or Tension even though it appears at the front a couple times. Pretty sure it's their own and probably not donated since NIN's were convex and concave from left and right, this one is flatter.

Heres a pic I snapped from Spokane. They also had technical problems with the vertical middle part of the screen all night (note the LED's not syncing up with the rest of the screen). That would've been awesome if Trent sold them a lemon though, BWAHAHHAHAHAA!!!...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/FA69D5F6-AAC3-483A-8789-2A779FA390EC.jpg (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/GoatKrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FA69D5F6-AAC3-483A-8789-2A779FA390EC.jpg.html)

TheRealNs1
03-25-2014, 07:45 PM
^^

I hate you. I had tix to SD and LV but shit came up so I missed them, again. You post on 4E? Those pics look familiar.

m15a
03-25-2014, 07:49 PM
it's a total money grab

Aargh! A money grab doesn't just mean doing something for money. Tool (like NIN on this tour) are doing something that takes effort and is generally appreciated by the consumer. It's not a money grab if the audience reasonably knows what they're getting. A money grab is like if you sued someone just because you thought you could get money you don't deserve.

Sorry, but I'm just tired of seeing the word so much on here.

TheyCallMeDrug
03-25-2014, 07:50 PM
my guess is roughly the same set up they've been touring with. the US hasn't seen it yet.

TheRealNs1
03-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Aargh! A money grab doesn't just mean doing something for money. Tool (like NIN on this tour) are doing something that takes effort and is generally appreciated by the consumer. It's not a money grab if the audience reasonably knows what they're getting. A money grab is like if you sued someone just because you thought you could get money you don't deserve.

agree to disagree, esp. on level of effort.

srsly I just fire up "hooker with a penis" every time Tool goes on tour.

anyways, enough of that tangent. back to NIN.

I'm hoping to hear that sick drop on "me I'm not".

wait, what?

Krazy
03-25-2014, 08:05 PM
^^

I hate you. I had tix to SD and LV but shit came up so I missed them, again. You post on 4E? Those pics look familiar.

Yup, user name is Krazy_blah after the update (used to just be same "Krazy" but couldn't log in). You?...

Krazy
03-25-2014, 08:10 PM
my guess is roughly the same set up they've been touring with. the US hasn't seen it yet.

Most of it, if not all, is Tension lighting minus the screens. I rally do want to see it changed up a bit and definitely in the group that wants some type of cool production.

TheRealNs1
03-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Yup, user name is Krazy_blah after the update (used to just be same "Krazy" but couldn't log in). You?...

Ns1 over there, both before and after the reset.

Definitely your pics I saw then LOL

Digital_Man
03-25-2014, 08:37 PM
There's about thirty something days between the end of the European tour and the start of the North American tour. I hope they're either:

A. Creating a new stage show or re working the Tension production for amphitheaters.

or

B. Rehearsing a bunch of new songs with a new member

Hopefully both.

fragility3.1
03-25-2014, 09:01 PM
2008! ;)

Yeah, not a whole lot going on with the screens like NIN's LITS or Tension even though it appears at the front a couple times. Pretty sure it's their own and probably not donated since NIN's were convex and concave from left and right, this one is flatter.

Heres a pic I snapped from Spokane. They also had technical problems with the vertical middle part of the screen all night (note the LED's not syncing up with the rest of the screen). That would've been awesome if Trent sold them a lemon though, BWAHAHHAHAHAA!!!...

You are correct about the screen. Having seen the tour in Portland, SF, and SD, and being on the rail in SF and row 2 in SD, that front screen is not like the LITS screens. It more closely resembles the old LED "fence" that NIN ran in the 2006 summer NA tour, and it unrolls from the ceiling as opposed to dropping down as a solid panel.

TheRealNs1
03-25-2014, 09:14 PM
You are correct about the screen. Having seen the tour in Portland, SF, and SD, and being on the rail in SF and row 2 in SD, that front screen is not like the LITS screens. It more closely resembles the old LED "fence" that NIN ran in the 2006 summer NA tour, and it unrolls from the ceiling as opposed to dropping down as a solid panel.

that's even MORE disappointing.

Krazy
03-25-2014, 09:27 PM

No shit?? Explains why I didn't notice it from my seat for the majority of the time, thought it was just a bad angle from my view when it was raised up.

Honestly thats fine though. Tool's production evolves over time of the concert and becomes really big, mostly the screens display the same image (usually the songs video obviously, for us nerds) anyways rather than involving the musicians. It works for what they try to do artistically and the other band members haven't lost a step. Ticket pricing is reasonable too.

paul_guyet
03-26-2014, 12:50 AM
I'm thinking this NIN/Soundgarden tour is going to look a lot like the NIN/JA tour as far as production, i.e. not very much of it, but, what we don't get in stage production, we'll get in setlist variation, although we're going to probably see the usual suspects every night, including THTF, HLAH and Hurt closing, every night.
Kind of wish there wasn't an opener, that way, at least both NIN and Soundgarden could have fuller sets.
18 songs does not a Nine Inch Nails concert make.
This might sound shitty, but I'm lowering expectations so, as long as the show doesn't actually suck (something I've never experienced from NIN), I'll be happy.
Although I'd gladly remove any three fingers to never have to hear THTF>HLAH>Hurt again.

m0reta
03-26-2014, 01:20 AM
My eternal hope.

http://i.imgur.com/tIQnQW8.jpg

Soon Trent soon...you will have to give in!!

minarets77
03-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately, I am 99% sure they're not, as per conversing with them.

http://i.imgur.com/G3UbsDj.jpg

*shrug*

Callahan
03-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Both LITS shows I saw were amazing. The setlists varied just enough to keep me from getting bored, but I still got to see all the staples and (imo) the best of the new stuff. Really, I was too in awe of the production to care about the setlists being similar. Then I saw the NIN/JA tour in Chicago and was blown away. The setlist was incredibe, even if we didn't get the planned encore and Trent forgot some words to Terrible Lie. The setlist flowed amzingly well, and I got to see some of my favorite "rarer" tracks, and more from The Fragile. Tension 2013 was also great, mostly just because NIN was touring again. I loved the 8-piece band and what each member brought to the stage. The Setlist wasn't the greatest, but I really have no complaints since I got to see Even Deeper. Here's hoping they can emulate what they did on the Nin/JA/Wave Goodbye tour(s).

http://i.imgur.com/gvJsvyu.png
EDIT: I know, typos. Fixed them in the actual spreadsheet.

I hope you didn't do all of that manually! if you haven't been there yet, check out nintourhistory.com, that's the best way to keep track of all the shows you've been to. Keeps track of all the dates, setlist, various songs you've seen live, it's pretty slick.

sick among the pure
03-26-2014, 12:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/G3UbsDj.jpg

*shrug*

What's weird is it was three days before that post that Lisa responded to me via FB (Sharlotte did the day before that) both confirming they they would not be with NIN anymore but had a wonderful time, are glad the fans enjoyed their addition.
If they only meant for the world tour, but they would return for the US, I have no problem with that, I loved them both very much.

Deepvoid
03-26-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the backup singers will not be back. I expect a laid back production like the NINJA tour. Anything beyond that will be a welcome addition.

r_k_f
03-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Can we start a @dannylohner rumor and just hope it comes to fruition? Can we do that? Yeah, let's do that...

Volband
03-26-2014, 07:23 PM
The moment I saw the thread title I knew it's gonna be fun.

r_k_f
03-26-2014, 07:33 PM
The moment I saw the thread title I knew it's gonna be fun. come on in the waters perfect...

That other guy
03-26-2014, 07:42 PM
I for one have not seen a NIN club show ( you all suck who have ;) ) , But it's weird how Trent has started this tour off big ( Tension production) , did festivals , overseas shows , then what "could" be a great touring package ( NinJA was cool) , I'm thinking the only way NIN/Garden will be amazing if both bands don't puss out and but on the show of there careers ( Well Woodstock, killed that idea). Put some effort into a stage show. We all know Trent is going to tour to many more times with NIN , HTDA maybe a few more...

PS: Still pissed no Buffalo date... Toronto is close but border hassles are a pain in ass ( not that I would cross with 10 pounds of Coke or 100 sheets of acid)

ethan829
03-26-2014, 07:47 PM
I hope you didn't do all of that manually! if you haven't been there yet, check out nintourhistory.com, that's the best way to keep track of all the shows you've been to. Keeps track of all the dates, setlist, various songs you've seen live, it's pretty slick.

I used my nintourhistory.com account to fill out my own spreadsheet because...well...I don't really know.

sick among the pure
03-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Can we start a @dannylohner rumor and just hope it comes to fruition? Can we do that? Yeah, let's do that...

We tried that for Tension when there were sudden dropouts. :( Didn't work.

Kyle
03-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Knowing Trent it's probably more likely to have the opposite reaction.

r_k_f
03-26-2014, 08:21 PM
We tried that for Tension when there were sudden dropouts. :( Didn't work. quitter.....

BRoswell
03-28-2014, 01:52 PM
The chances of it happening are probably slim to none, but I'd like to see the return of the projections. Obviously the newer productions were designed to replace that sort of thing, but seeing the images of war and death behind Trent for Hurt on the last tour really made me want to see that sort of thing return in full. I love the lights and the screens, but there's something a bit more real (more human perhaps?) about the projections.

Kyle
03-28-2014, 02:03 PM
The chances of it happening are probably slim to none, but I'd like to see the return of the projections. Obviously the newer productions were designed to replace that sort of thing, but seeing the images of war and death behind Trent for Hurt on the last tour really made me want to see that sort of thing return in full. I love the lights and the screens, but there's something a bit more real (more human perhaps?) about the projections.

I'm sure they're cheaper so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Volband
03-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Guys, wait. Trent did not even say anything regarding the production and possible song selections for your NA tour. Wait for it, and then you'll have a good basis, knowing what you can asbolutely not expect.

He's always up for surprises though; recently he changed the lights for Gave Up. (or just simply ran out of blue and red bulbs)

elevenism
06-14-2014, 02:50 AM
i was kinda underwhelmed by some of the new four piece arrangements after watching the manchester show.
why in the fuck was robin playing keyboard on 1,000,000?

i THINK they were i four piece when i saw them in 08 and they kicked ass...
i guess the keyboard on 1,000,000 thing is my main bitch.

oh and i don't expect much in the way of production on NinGarden.
I feel like everything from here on out is gonna be the "We Spent Too Much On Tension" tour

Fist Fuck
06-14-2014, 04:07 AM
i was kinda underwhelmed by some of the new four piece arrangements after watching the manchester show.
why in the fuck was robin playing keyboard on 1,000,000?

Uhm, it's been like this since the very first show of the tour 1 year ago...

Trent likes to rearrange songs, which is a good thing.

The only song that I think didn't work quite as perfect as a 4-piece was Copy of A. It was missing something, either the powerful live drums from Tension, or the little details from the festival run in 2013. Usually the new arrangements work though, Find My Way blew me away when Trent grabbed his guitar and played the outro.

dominik
06-14-2014, 06:32 AM
The only song that I think didn't work quite as perfect as a 4-piece was Copy of A. It was missing something, either the powerful live drums from Tension, or the little details from the festival run in 2013. Usually the new arrangements work though, Find My Way blew me away when Trent grabbed his guitar and played the outro.

You think? I thought it was perfect this tour because the pounding synth bass works way better than doing the same thing with drums + pino.

WorzelG
06-14-2014, 08:19 AM
You think? I thought it was perfect this tour because the pounding synth bass works way better than doing the same thing with drums + pino.
I agree on this and I think people forget that, unless something is pro-shot , you can't really judge what it sounds like from a YouTube video?

About the production this tour, hasn't Trent said he will be expanding the festivals idea? So I think it will be big production

Fist Fuck
06-14-2014, 08:19 AM

I just thought it wasn't as powerful. Also, the way Copy of A was performed on the festival tour with the members coming on stage one by one was just incredible.

elevenism
06-15-2014, 01:44 AM
Uhm, it's been like this since the very first show of the tour 1 year ago...

Trent likes to rearrange songs, which is a good thing.

i didn't know this because i try not to watch live video if i can help it.
i just REALLY didn't like 1000000 that way.
the rest of it was fine

F-JD
06-15-2014, 02:55 AM
That Find My Way outro indeed, damn that was great.

slave2thewage
06-15-2014, 06:52 AM
LOL, Copy with live drums sounds awful IMO.

nooneimportant
06-15-2014, 08:38 AM
LOL, Copy with live drums sounds awful IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty badass, but it can go either way. It's like The Becoming for me, I can go for that sick 2009 version but I do enjoy the album/1995 versions for the electronic style.

SM Rollinger
06-15-2014, 09:39 AM
I enjoy Copy with live percussion, but not CBH for some reason though.

And not that im going to any of these shows, but id still love to hear Head Down get some more playings :)

LOVEANDZOMBIES
06-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Speculation can be put to rest, Trent stated in a recent interview that this last leg with Soundgarden will utilize primarily the Festival setup from 2013, which was not seen in the US except for a few shows and online broadcasts..

Found it: Entertainment Weekly (http://music-mix.ew.com/2014/05/23/nine-inch-nails-soundgarden-tour-trent-reznor-interview/)

jessamineny
06-15-2014, 04:10 PM
"utilize primarily"? That's not what it says. It says it will be based on elements of that tour production. It sounds like they will use the same basic idea of the stage starting bare and then building into a spectacle of some sort for the first number. Past that, I honestly wouldn't expect a whole lot of similarity. Why spend so much energy, time and money making every other leg significantly different, and then just re-use a stage show from a year ago in the same country?

implanted_microchip
06-15-2014, 05:03 PM
I definitely don't think he meant it would be the same, or else he would've said "We're using the same rig as the 2013 festival run." I think he more than anything means it'll have that "interactive" quality of things evolving/changing throughout the set and like others have said, starting bare and building up into something larger. If anything it has me more excited to see what's in store, because between Trent confirming there's going to be a visual setup and that one guy from Soundgarden saying the biggest reason NIN plays last is because their visual setup is too big makes it seem like we're going to get something really unique/special, and I'm all for it.

Krazy
06-15-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm sure they also have the 2 curved stealth screens lying around still. Bet they can incorporate that somehow- LITS was able to fit into festivals and Planet Hollywood in LV (think it was dumbed down a bit at Red Rocks though).

One thing that has me worried about lack of production is SG basically being a co-headliner. Kind of feel bad for the Aussie fans that didn't get the full arena treatment.

icecream
06-16-2014, 08:38 AM
I think they will have a light or two

slave2thewage
06-16-2014, 10:21 AM
That guy in the crowd with the lightsaber. He's the entire light show this leg.

Deepvoid
06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Two hours of strobes.

K-Rice
06-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Finally the debut of Strobelight.

implanted_microchip
06-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Finally the debut of Strobelight.

Only if it's followed up with Crack Slap Clap Trap and finishes with Still Hurts.

Kyle
06-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Only if it's followed up with Crack Slap Clap Trap and finishes with Still Hurts.

Im usually good with tongue twisters and I can not say Crack Slap Clap Trap for the life of me.

Yogibear303
06-17-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm sure they also have the 2 curved stealth screens lying around still. Bet they can incorporate that somehow- LITS was able to fit into festivals and Planet Hollywood in LV (think it was dumbed down a bit at Red Rocks though).

no...RR's got the full LITS show

elevenism
06-25-2014, 09:37 PM
im excited. we'll know in a few weeks.
what i'm REALLY interested in is the setlist.

you know, as far as production, it wouldn't bother me if they went back to the lighting setup of 94-95, with the cheesecloth thing or whatever the hell they projected on.
gotta be a hell of a lot cheaper than led walls.

Krazy
06-25-2014, 10:17 PM
no...RR's got the full LITS show

Checking YT- you are right, I stand corrected.

rofl@cheesecloth. I forgot the technical term put it's some kind of gauze screen. The one cool thing about that is it takes up the entire stage compared to the stealth screens, which only really look "big" when all 3 are staggered. The 06 summe tour cage thing was really cool too.

elevenism
06-26-2014, 07:19 AM
The 06 summe tour cage thing was really cool too.

yeah, lolz at cheezecloth.
funny that you were thinking about that "cage" thing...i was thinking about it when i typed my post.
That thing was fucking awesome...you are talking about the thing on BYIT when they do somewhat damaged, right?

Krazy
06-26-2014, 08:34 AM
yeah, lolz at cheezecloth.
funny that you were thinking about that "cage" thing...i was thinking about it when i typed my post.
That thing was fucking awesome...you are talking about the thing on BYIT when they do somewhat damaged, right?

Yup, loved the one show I saw for that tour. Pretty weird they went through all that just to tour with that production for about a month and a half.

khris
07-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I really would love to see the opening of Copy of A like they did in Japan. That was amazing. Love the lighting and shadow effects.