PDA

View Full Version : NIN with Soundgarden - summer 2014 amphitheatre NA tour

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

frothy_ham
03-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Sooooooooooo I got this email today from Livenation that mentioned a tour date for NIN with Soundgarden in Dallas for August. Of course, the link now appears to be dead. Leak or complete mistake?

http://i.imgur.com/9Gy9J66.jpg

halo33
03-06-2014, 02:40 PM
I have it on good authority, that this is TRUE. Another date is Jones Beach on August 1st.

Could it be because both The Downward Spiral & Superunknown turn 20 on SATURDAY(?!)
I guess if TR is headlining, then he finally won the battle. (for those who dont remember, Superunknown beat TDS to #1 on Billboard that week and TR had some beef about it)

Sooooooooooo I got this email today from Livenation that mentioned a tour date for NIN with Soundgarden in Dallas for August. Of course, the link now appears to be dead. Leak or complete mistake?

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Whoa. That is a double bill I want to see.

WorzelG
03-06-2014, 02:54 PM
So has Chris Cornell forgiven Trent for his comments about Scream?? Ha ha

Bmw1185
03-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Hey all, I had a ninnie friend of mine direct my attention to an email that Live Nation sent out today for those who subscribe. I checked it and saw NIN with Soundgarden Aug 17 in Dallas (where I live). The site that the link directs you to no longer works. Live Nation must have jumped the gun, which means a possible tour announcement from the NIN camp soon? I'm hoping so. Here is a cropped image of the email: https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/10013625_10153876756795366_589521141_n.jpg

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
So has Chris Cornell forgiven Trent for his comments about Scream?? Ha ha
I know! That’s the first thing I thought of (after “Whoa”).

Bmw1185
03-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Oops I just posted the same thing in the NIN tour section. Overlooked this thread. Yeah this will be a show I'll want to see

halo33
03-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Its true. Jones Beach August 1st. Would be cool if they officially announced it on Saturday. (being the 20th anniversary of TDS & Superunknown)

tony.parente
03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
MY BODY IS READY

Caps

richardp
03-06-2014, 03:56 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/richardpepper/tumblr_n1v9wbkLY71qf1aoao4_r1_500_zps669e7055.gif

Soundgarden sucks.

Kyle
03-06-2014, 03:57 PM
http://youtu.be/nHdJXnEFRLQ

Fucking Soundgarden loving pigs

Kyle
03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Also I double checked my deleted email folder. No NIN/Soundgarden Philly date leaked.

Landshark
03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Strange. A Houston radio DJ mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, thought he was just confused because they were playing Lollapalooza together in South America. Very cool that it's looking like a real tour though. Will definitely be there.

sick among the pure
03-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Take the post down before Trent sees it and cancels the tour because it got leaked.
Sounds awesome, though.

sick among the pure
03-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Also I double checked my deleted email folder. No NIN/Soundgarden Philly date leaked.

You live in/around Philly? We'll have to meet up at the next near-by show then!

Also, I was watching a video on hip hop dance culture, and "the Carlton" came up and I thought to myself "I wonder if Trent scrapped Everything from the live setlists because he doesn't want the mosh pit to turn into a bunch of skinny vampire goth kids doing The Carlton in unison.

orestes
03-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Well, at least we have a clearer indication of when the US shed tour starts.

jessamineny
03-06-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm confused. First the Grammys, and now this (http://www.stereogum.com/?p=058321)? :D

RJK
03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Not looking forward to how expensive this is probably going to be.

SM Rollinger
03-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Im hoping this comes stupid close to me, lest it be difficult to afford it! Thankfuly i do get paid 3 times in August...

FernandoDante
03-06-2014, 06:23 PM
I really dig both bands, but never pictured them playing the same night. ALSO:

http://i62.tinypic.com/wrh0mt.jpg

gorast
03-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Wouldn't be the first time Trent's shit on somebody and repaired the relationship later.

Maybe he'll shit on Soundgarden over Twitter immediately after the tour ends.

FernandoDante
03-06-2014, 06:30 PM
To be fair, though:

“We had a chip on our shoulder about Soundgarden because their record [Superunknown] came out the same day Downward Spiral came out, and they beat us to No. 1 on Billboard. That became a kind of professional showdown. And we did show them.

I really have no personal issue with Chris at all. The thing I said on Twitter… it goes deeper than what have may appeared on the surface. We were on [Interscope]. And I have had Jimmy Iovine, the president of that label, come up to me on every record from With Teeth onwards saying I should do some sort of urban thing — it was Timbaland for a while, then it was Pharrell for a while — because ’that’s how you sell records.’ The idea seemed so preposterous and insulting.

I’m not talking about ’let’s go make a record with Dr. Dre,’ because that would be kind of cool. What he’s talking about is making your record sound like what’s on the radio, whether it’s appropriate or not. And that’s what Chris did. I think that when somebody who is respected like he is goes that route, it sends the message that it’s OK to give up any kind of core values you had to be the fashion of the moment. I don’t think that’s OK. I think it’s harmful. If I have one major fight in the world of the music business, it’s trying to keep art first and commerce second.”

butter_hole
03-06-2014, 07:24 PM
To be fair, that Cornell record was incredibly bad.

sweeterthan
03-06-2014, 10:02 PM
My high school self loves the idea of these bands touring together but my adult self feels strange about it. Is this a nineties nostalgia tour? Like when Mötley Crüe and def leopard tour together

suprefan
03-07-2014, 12:03 AM

Its real. I was just hoping for a later onsale date than this. Unless that mightve been the error. Figured it might go up in April. L.A. will for sure now cost an arm and a leg with Soundgarden on the bill, blah.

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Its real. I was just hoping for a later onsale date than this. Unless that mightve been the error. Figured it might go up in April. L.A. will for sure now cost an arm and a leg with Soundgarden on the bill, blah.

So if it's real, that's on sale next weekend... so should we expect the official announcement of the dates tomorrow? They usually release the dates a week before they go on sale. But they still need to do the NIN.com presale, right???? So.... i'm guessing dates tomorrow, NIN.com presale on either Monday the 10th or Tuesday the 11th and General Public sale on Friday the 14th?

Seems kinda rushed to me.

There goes my budget for the month... urgh... hello credit card, let's get in debt again!

Kyle
03-07-2014, 12:33 AM
So if it's real, that's on sale next weekend... so should we expect the official announcement of the dates tomorrow? They usually release the dates a week before they go on sale. But they still need to do the NIN.com presale, right???? So.... i'm guessing dates tomorrow, NIN.com presale on either Monday the 10th or Tuesday the 11th and General Public sale on Friday the 14th?

There goes my budget for the month... urgh... hello credit card, let's get in debt again!

Maube that was part of the problem. The on sale date was supposed to be march 14 which would have been a part of this email, but it got pushed back a bit and the emails didn't catch up?

i have no inside information at all. Purely speculation but it makes some sense.

FULLMETAL
03-07-2014, 12:57 AM
I was trying to search the last time NIN & Soundgarden played together (I remember seeing a t-shirt) and stumbled across this:

http://i.imgur.com/pkHoa0Il.png

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 01:15 AM
So, what have we pieced together so far...
Aug 1 - Jones Beach in NY
Aug 17 - Dallas, TX
Aug 25 in LA

Hmm... That opens up them to play the Osheaga festival in Montreal (Aug 2-4), which also aligns with Lollapalooza Chicago, but since Nails just played there last year there is almost a 99.99% chance they will probably not be going back to lolla. But Osheaga is very feasible.

billpulsipher
03-07-2014, 01:22 AM
would have preferred a co-headline amphitheatre tour with depeche mode, but Trent seems to be into touring with boring frat rock bands these days (janes/QOTSA and now soundgarden) I guess 2015 will be the co-headline tour with Green Day

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Hmmm. Some people clearly knew about this way before us.

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 01:32 AM
I personally think it's a great combination. Best band Trent has chosen to tour with since... well... The Fragility tour when APC opened.
Bauhaus wasn't a bad opening act for the 2006 summer amphitheatre tour. But Peter Murphy is kinda losing his touch these days.

And I know @Prowulf (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4194) would be stoked as hell if this is true, because NIN and Soundgarden are his 2 favourite bands.

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Hmmm. Some people clearly knew about this way before us.

Exactly, i'm surprised that had been up since March 1st (or longer) and nobody spotted it, or one of the bidders on that auction never thought of posting here etc.
This got kept in the dark quite well.

Kyle
03-07-2014, 01:38 AM
Looks like it's starting east and heading west. I'm going to guess August 2 in Camden for the "Philly" date. PURELY A GUESS!!! Just want to see if I'm right. I'm definitely calling Camden in that general time frame though.

WorzelG
03-07-2014, 01:40 AM
^^^for a second there I thought they had a support band called 'willows community school' till I realised the sale was for charity

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Looks like it's starting east and heading west. I'm going to guess August 2 in Camden for the "Philly" date. PURELY A GUESS!!! Just want to see if I'm right. I'm definitely calling Camden in that general time frame though.

If I had to guess, and I don't want to Jinx anything... I think it's gonna start in the northwest (mid to end July) and then head east across central canada/usa towards NYC for Aug 1st, Hit up the Osheaga festival in Montreal, then Toronto, then go down south to Flordia, over to Texas for the 17th date in Dallas and end in LA on Aug 25th.

fillow
03-07-2014, 01:43 AM
So much for long setlists on that tour.

WorzelG
03-07-2014, 01:46 AM
would have preferred a co-headline amphitheatre tour with depeche mode, but Trent seems to be into touring with boring frat rock bands these days (janes/QOTSA and now soundgarden) I guess 2015 will be the co-headline tour with Green Day
Although I disagree with qotsa. Depeche Mode are doing ok sales wise I thought, so there would be no need for them to join up with anyone to sell out arenas.
Luckily in Europe Janes were pretty much support. I was so disappointed in 2009 when there was this big show about Trent being in the studio with someone, and it turned out to be JA

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 01:53 AM
So much for longs setlists on that tour.

Yeah, we'll probably get like an hour and 20 min sets like how Australia is getting between Queens and NIN now.
Meh, i'd even take 45 mins of Nails live over no Nails at all, as I have a feeling after this tour of the USA he's going on hiatus from touring for a while again.

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Aug 17 - Dallas, TX
Aug 25 in LA

Hmm... That opens up them to play the Osheaga festival in Montreal (Aug 2-4), which also aligns with Lollapalooza Chicago, but since Nails just played there last year there is almost a 99.99% chance they will probably not be going back to lolla. But Osheaga is very feasible.

Here's the big Osheaga "lineup hint game." Can you find NIN or Soundgarden in it? Queens is there.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Exactly, i'm surprised that had been up since March 1st (or longer) and nobody spotted it, or one of the bidders on that auction never thought of posting here etc.
This got kept in the dark quite well.
I’m guessing the news trickled out on the Soundgarden side. Nothing about it in the nin.com forums until yesterday, either.

howdidislipinto
03-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Is there no chance this is just a mistake? This is the first time I've felt embarrassed for NIN since the Starsuckers vid.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Is there no chance this is just a mistake? This is the first time I've felt embarrassed for NIN since the Starsuckers vid.
That auction listing can’t be a mistake. But at this point it’s still possible that someone could back out.

That other guy
03-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Just my 2 cents , but I'd rather pay a little more and see another version of tension tour , If the NIN / Soundgarden tour happens (only guessing) , it will be nothing more than NINJA part 2 : NINSO , Trent would have to pull out some big songs barely or never played to make it an awesome show...

Is Soundgarden even that good anymore? Saw them years back in Barrie Ontario ( with NIN I think) , wasn't to impressed.

Ash512
03-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Here's the big Osheaga "lineup hint game." Can you find NIN or Soundgarden in it? Queens is there.

No Soundgarden, no NIN, no Queens.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Just my 2 cents , but I'd rather pay a little more and see another version of tension tour , If the NIN / Soundgarden tour happens (only guessing) , it will be nothing more than NINJA part 2 : NINSO , Trent would have to pull out some big songs barely or never played to make it an awesome show...
If NIN is the headliner — FWIW, it said “Nine Inch Nails with Soundgarden” — he might have more leeway. I doubt he holds Soundgarden in the same high regard as Jane’s Addiction, QOTSA or Bowie.

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Yeah, their most recent U.S. shows have included a nightclub in St. Louis and 3,000-seat theaters in Houston and Dallas. No way it's co-headlining.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Yeah, their most recent U.S. shows have included a nightclub in St. Louis and 3,000-seat theaters in Houston and Dallas. No way it's co-headlining.
Wow, really? They’re right up there with NIN and Arcade Fire for Lollapalooza in South America.

In fact I wonder if that helped to cover up any rumors of a NIN-Soundgarden US tour.

(Is there an accepted abbreviation for Soundgarden, like maybe SG? I still think it’s one of the great all-time band names, but I’m getting tired of typing it.)

fortheloveofgod
03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Fall US tour. See Vegas and Detriot in video I think.

http://instagram.com/p/lP8tsUjqph/

Black Sabbath
03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Teaser on both bands instagram accounts:

instagram.com/nineinchnails

instagram.com/soundgarden

Can't wait!

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Concert announcement as ARG. Of course.

As long as this (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2868-Dreams-with-Trent-NIN-in-them?p=38595#post38595)doesn't end up happening. :D

suprefan
03-07-2014, 11:26 AM

We'll find out soon enough with the video that just got posted.

Fall US tour. See Vegas and Detriot in video I think.

http://instagram.com/p/lP8tsUjqph/

Summer, outdoor amphitheatres. You missed L.A., San Francisco, Austin.

Black Sabbath
03-07-2014, 11:29 AM
If NIN is the headliner — FWIW, it said “Nine Inch Nails with Soundgarden” — he might have more leeway. I doubt he holds Soundgarden in the same high regard as Jane’s Addiction, QOTSA or Bowie.

I would easily rank Soundgarden above Jane's Addiction and especially QOTSA. Maybe even Bowie to an extent.

But, that's just me and my opinion, of course. I'm looking forward to the announcement of the dates. Been itching for more SG shows after their last tour.

sick among the pure
03-07-2014, 11:33 AM

If it's an amphitheater only tour, Camden would have to be the Philly date (it's the closest outdoor amphitheater to the city). I've been there for Mayhem Fest a few times, and it's a decent venue. I just hate amphitheater tours because GA is so much smaller so it's so much harder to get one, I'm going to have a heart attack when they go on sale. And if they go on sale this soon, I just graduated a 4-year university and have no job yet, so I might be fucked out of going and I don't like that. UGH.
But this sounds like an awesome show, and I am much excite.

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I have no money and can't go to any shows, so join the wah-wah club. :)

thefragile_jake
03-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Oh man. This is kind of a bummer if it does end up being Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails for a double bill. I saw Soundgarden for FREE last year in St. Louis (those tickets went up to $100 mind you) and was not impressed by the band or the incredibly cheesy CGI video screen they brought along with them. I would've much preferred to have seen another up and coming band open for NIN, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

I'm really hoping to see Nine Inch Nails again this year and while I wish they were coming to St. Louis or somewhere in Missouri again, I highly doubt we'll see that now. Looks like a Chicago show will be my best bet.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 11:38 AM
I would easily rank Soundgarden above Jane's Addiction and especially QOTSA. Maybe even Bowie to an extent.
So would I (except for Bowie). But TR? SG was a competitor.

billpulsipher
03-07-2014, 11:41 AM
You lost me when you said you rank SG above Bowie.....

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Oh man. This is kind of a bummer if it does end up being Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails for a double bill. I saw Soundgarden for FREE last year in St. Louis (those tickets went up to $100 mind you) and was not impressed by the band or the incredibly cheesy CGI video screen they brought along with them. I would've much preferred to have seen another up and coming band open for NIN, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

I'm really hoping to see Nine Inch Nails again this year and while I wish they were coming to St. Louis or somewhere in Missouri again, I highly doubt we'll see that now. Looks like a Chicago show will be my best bet.

The tickets in that little nightclub were $100? Good lord, I wonder what these double-bill tickets in an ampitheatre are going to be, if Soundgarden thinks they're worth $100 nightclub tickets.

Digital_Man
03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
I wish they would've came here with QOTSA before soundgarden :l

Five_Hole
03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
So far I've picked out from the Soundgarden teaser:

Red Rocks Amphitheatre - Morrison, CO
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater - Irvine CA
Nikon at Jones Beach Theater - Wantagh, NY
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater - Bonner Springs, KS
Xfinity Center - Mansfield, MA
MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre - Tampa, FL
DTE Energy Music Theater, Clarkson, MI
Molson Ampitheatre - Toronto, ON
The Austin360 Amphitheater - Austin, TX
Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA
First Midwest Bank Ampitheater - Tinley Park, IL
Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, Md
Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach - Virginia Beach, VA
Woodlands Pavilion - The Woodlands, TX
Gexa Energy Pavilion - Dallas, TX
Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM
Aaron's Amphitheatre - Lakewood, GA
Los Angeles, CA (Gibson Amphitheatre? Hollywood Bowl?)
PNC Bank Arts Center - Holmdel, NJ
PH Live (Planet Hollywood Theater) - Las Vegas, NV
XFINITY Live! - Philadelphia, PA
Sleep Train Amphitheatre - Chula Vista, CA

Digital_Man
03-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Red Rocks
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Irvine CA
Jones Beach
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater, KC
Xfinity Center, Mansfield, MA

Mansfield also confirmed in the NIN teaser.

nowimdowninit
03-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I spotted Atlanta's Aaron's Lakewood in the SG teaser. Nice!

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Sigh. Is it to too much to hope they’ll hit the Xfinity in Hartford? Not looking forward to another long drive to Mansfield.

sick among the pure
03-07-2014, 12:10 PM
I have no money and can't go to any shows, so join the wah-wah club. :)

We can sit around on ETS watching recordings together.

Also, it would be just my luck now that I live down in Philly that they book a show at Darien Lake and don't cancel it this time.

Deepvoid
03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Toronto is pretty much a sure shot. I think I saw the Molson Amphitheater seats chart (ok I really didn't but wishful thinking doesn't hurt anyone).
Montreal doesn't have any amphitheater but they do have 2 days for Osheaga with announcement to be made on March 11, 2014.
They could also book a stand-alone date at the Parc Jean Drapeau like they just did for Linkin Park/30STM/AFI tour.

botley
03-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I think Osheaga would be more likely, but we'll see.

Molson Ampitheatre, Toronto
Can someone change the thread title? Toronto's not in the U.S.A.

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
They're not in the ARG poste (http://www.osheaga.com/)r for Osheaga. (It must be something in the water.)

arsenic
03-07-2014, 12:25 PM
I didn't see that "NIN 2014" at first

http://i.imgur.com/me4jjCg.png

fortheloveofgod
03-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Add Jiffy Lube Live in VA or Meriweather in MD for DC date

fortheloveofgod
03-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Add Jiffy Lube Live in VA or Meriweather in MD for DC date
http://i.imgur.com/YX7iwsL.png

FULLMETAL
03-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Kudos to everyone that can identify locations in the video. I can't find squat. *edit* I was only looking at the NIN video. The Soundgarden clip is totally easy to identify.

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 12:40 PM
First Midwest Bank Ampitheater for the Chicago date.

http://www.livenationpremiumseats.com/images/510/620/400/image.jpg

Believe they used this exact shot in the SG video.

Edit: Who wants to meet up at this place from the NIN video

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/skullboy0/NINDragonPalace.jpg

halo33
03-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Not for nothing, as much as I've loved big production arena shows, and intense club shows, I've had a really good time at the amphitheater tours. (bauhaus/ninja)

I found that the setlists were usually pretty damn good, and being able to tailgate, BBQ, hang out on the beach, etc...with a bunch of NIN peeps was always good fun. They are all usually seats so no stress/waiting in line all day. ( signs of getting old )

I'm looking forward to it! (and I happen to love Soundgarden, so there is that.)

thefragile_jake
03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I didn't see that "NIN 2014" at first

http://i.imgur.com/me4jjCg.png

Welp. That settles it then I suppose.

That other guy
03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Teaser on both bands instagram accounts:

instagram.com/nineinchnails

instagram.com/soundgarden

Can't wait!

I like NIN's teaser better.. :D

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
There's this still from the NIN video of Vegas

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/skullboy0/NINVegas.jpg

Not sure if they'd be playing the Colosseum at Caesar's though, that usually has longer-term shows.

redshoewearer
03-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Soundgarden is playing the SXSW festival - you can see it live on itunes or after the show and see how you feel about seeing them. I saw them at Lolla in 2010 and thought it was good. I will plan on catching at least one of these dates - I had to sit the Tension tour out so I'm happy this tour is in summer when I can travel more easily.

That other guy
03-07-2014, 01:25 PM
We can sit around on ETS watching recordings together.

Also, it would be just my luck now that I live down in Philly that they book a show at Darien Lake and don't cancel it this time.

I'm thinking Trent hates Darien Lake ( would you blame hime?) , Although its a 35 minute ride for me , so one show will be close , see how things pan out maybe go to a second , dont want to ruin my memories of the tension show in Cleveland...

center27j
03-07-2014, 01:26 PM

First Midwest Bank Ampitheater, tinley park, il

hands down the WORST concert venue in the united states....if true, extremely unfortunate. it's a surprise bands still choose to play here after all the awful feedback it constantly receives in the Chicago area.

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 01:33 PM
There's pricing info somewhat visible on the Irvine seating chart.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/skullboy0/Irvine.jpg

Looks like about $80 for the red seats, $50 for the green ones, $30 for lawn? Can't quite make out what the good seats up front would be.

gorast
03-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Oh man, first Bruce Springsteen in Tampa, now NIN and Soundgarden? Bring this tour on now.

Moebius
03-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Here's all the location stills from the NIN instragram trailer (de-duped and cleaned up):

imgur.com/a/rX2zv
http://i.imgur.com/18To5m8.png (http://imgur.com/a/rX2zv)

EDIT: And from the Soundgarden teaser:

http://imgur.com/a/dYw1X (http://[URL)
http://i.imgur.com/IpP8LnD.png (http://imgur.com/a/dYw1X)

thefragile_jake
03-07-2014, 02:01 PM
For anyone in Missouri or familiar with St. Louis or Kansas City landmarks / venues...none of these look familiar do they?

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Here's all the location stills from the NIN instragram trailer (de-duped and cleaned up):

http://imgur.com/a/rX2zv

EDIT: And from the Soundgarden teaser:

http://imgur.com/a/dYw1X

You broke their site!

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/skullboy0/Overcapacity.jpg

Got that when I clicked on the SG link.

Moebius
03-07-2014, 02:07 PM
You broke their site!

Try again, should be working.

eversonpoe
03-07-2014, 02:29 PM
hands down the WORST concert venue in the united states....if true, extremely unfortunate. it's a surprise bands still choose to play here after all the awful feedback it constantly receives in the Chicago area.

yeah, when i saw peaches/bauhaus/nin there back in 2006(?) it was ABOMINABLE. and i had seen shows there before, and i think i've gone once or twice since. it literally is one of the worst venues in the entire country. NOTHING sounds good there. i don't understand why they're playing there. at all.

Scarlet Siren
03-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I want to fly over for the last 2 weeks of the tour, I hope they're good stops.

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 02:33 PM
yeah, when i saw peaches/bauhaus/nin there back in 2006(?) it was ABOMINABLE. and i had seen shows there before, and i think i've gone once or twice since. it literally is one of the worst venues in the entire country. NOTHING sounds good there. i don't understand why they're playing there. at all.

Maybe he didn't want a repeat of "I figured we were on a summer tour, I didn't bring my ski mask" from when they played the then Charter One Pavillion?

With the expansion & change to FirstMerit Bank Pavilion the capacity is slightly higher than First Midwest.

AgentofChaos
03-07-2014, 02:51 PM
I was at that show... was it cold? I honestly don't remember.

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I was at that show... was it cold? I honestly don't remember.

Probably not that out of line for late March, but below normal temps combined with the lake breeze made it pretty chilly. I had my light jacket on, the long-sleeve tee they were selling on that tour, plus the shirt I bought at the show & the one I wore to the show & was still a bit cold.

Looked it up online & the high that day was 41F.

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm working on the Soundgarden ones, in order from @Moebius (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=848) 's post, if anybody wants to play along.

1. Jones Beach.
2. PNC, Holmdel, NJ
3. First Midwest Bank, Chicago
4. Shoreline
5. Planet Hollywood, Vegas
6. Xfinity Live, Philadelphia
7. Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, Houston
8. Austin
9. DTE Detroit
10. Red Rocks
11. PNC REPEAT
12.DTE REPEAT
13. Aaron's, Atlanta
14. Isleta, Albuquerque
15. Molson
16. Philly REPEAT
17. Atlanta REPEAT
18. Irvine
19. Farm Bureau, Virginia
21. Midflorida, Tampa
22. Xfinity, Mansfield, MA
23. Cricket, Chula Vista

howdidislipinto
03-07-2014, 03:07 PM
This thread is putting me in the weird position of not totally disagreeing with bullpulsipher, and I fucking hate it.

Damn you, Soundgarden. Damn. You.

suprefan
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Aug 17 - Dallas, TX
Aug 25 in LA

NIN isnt doing Osheaga, they have their headliners pretty much at this point via the guessing game and piecing it together. Its not likely that they tie in any festival appearances with this one.

And L.A. is The Hollywood Bowl. Also, Gibson Amp doesnt exist anymore.

Deepvoid
03-07-2014, 03:18 PM
As per theprp

Wantagh, NY – Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
Holmdel, NJ – PNC Bank Arts Center
Virginia Beach, VA – Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
Atlanta, GA – Aaron’s Amphitheatre At Lakewood -
Tampa, FL – Midflorida Credit Union Amphitheatre
Austin, TX – The Tower Amphitheater at Circuit of The Americas
The Woodlands, TX – Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
Albuquerque, NM – Isleta Amphitheater,
Chula Vista, CA – Sleep Train Amphitheatre
Mountain View, CA – Shoreline Amphitheatre
Las Vegas, NV – PH Live at Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino
Morrison, CO – Red Rocks Amphitheatre
Tinley Park, IL – First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
Clarkston, MI – DTE Energy Music Theatre
Toronto, ON – Molson Canadian Amphitheatre
Philadelphia, PA – XFINITY Live!
Irvine, CA – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Mansfield, MA – Xfinity Center

TheBang
03-07-2014, 03:20 PM
I came up with a few more, doing Google Image search on the images. I updated Five_Hole's post as follows:

Red Rocks Amphitheatre - Morrison, CO
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater - Irvine CA
Nikon at Jones Beach Theater - Wantagh, NY
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater - Bonner Springs, KS
Xfinity Center - Mansfield, MA
MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre - Tampa, FL
DTE Energy Music Theater, Clarkson, MI
Molson Ampitheatre - Toronto, ON
The Austin360 Amphitheater - Austin, TX
Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA
First Midwest Bank Ampitheater - Tinley Park, IL
Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, Md
Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach - Virginia Beach, VA
Woodlands Pavilion - The Woodlands, TX
Gexa Energy Pavilion - Dallas, TX
Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM
Aaron's Amphitheatre - Lakewood, GA
PNC Bank Arts Center - Holmdel, NJ
PH Live (Planet Hollywood Theater) - Las Vegas, NV
XFINITY Live! - Philadelphia, PA
Sleep Train Amphitheatre - Chula Vista, CA

Moebius
03-07-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm working on the Soundgarden ones, in order from @Moebius (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=848) 's post, if anybody wants to play along.

6. Philly Live, Philadelphia, PA (http://blog.pennlive.com/fanbox/2009/07/architect_unveils_first_render.html)
11. PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ (http://www.ticketmaster.com/seatingchart/16839/49075)

EDIT: damn guys, I'm too slow :P

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 03:22 PM

1. Jones Beach.
4. Shoreline
7. Austin
8. DTE Detroit
9. Red Rocks
15. Molson
18. Irvine
21. Midflorida, Tampa

2 is PNC Bank Arts Center in New Jersey
5 is The Axis at Planet Hollwood Las Vegas
6 is Philly Live
Pretty sure 10 is also PNC
11 is DTE
12 is Aaron's Ampitheater in Atlanta
13 is Isleta Ampitheater in Albuquerque
14 is Molson
15 is a repeat of Philly Live
16 is Aaron's again
17 is Irvine
18 is Farm Bureau Live in Virginia
19 is not returning a result in Google Image Search
23 is Cricket Wireless Ampitheater in Chula Vista, CA

Can't believe it didn't occur to me until now to just run these through Google Image Search since that's how I identified First Midwest.

Edit: Aaaaand TheBang beat me to the Google Image thing.

Five_Hole
03-07-2014, 03:23 PM

1. Jones Beach.
2. PNC, Holmdel, NJ
4. Shoreline
5. Planet Hollywood, Vegas
6. Xfinity Live, Philadelphia
7. Austin
8. DTE Detroit
9. Red Rocks
15. Molson
18. Irvine
21. Midflorida, Tampa

7 thru 9 should be 8 thru 10.

Five_Hole
03-07-2014, 03:24 PM
19 is not returning a result in Google Image Search

I believe this is Dallas.

Moebius
03-07-2014, 03:25 PM
I came up with a few more, doing Google Image search on the images. I updated Five_Hole's post as follows:

That's 21 venues, should be two more... which numbers are unidentified?

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 03:25 PM
That auction listing (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3008-NIN-with-Soundgarden-for-upcoming-summer-amphitheatre-NA-tour?p=170560#post170560) said Hollywood Bowl.

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 03:30 PM
That auction listing (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3008-NIN-with-Soundgarden-for-upcoming-summer-amphitheatre-NA-tour?p=170560#post170560) said Hollywood Bowl.

& the Gibson was closed & demolished last year to make room for expansion of Universal Studios Hollywood's theme park.

(what can I say, I'm a theme park junkie)

dunebug81
03-07-2014, 03:39 PM
There's this still from the NIN video of Vegas

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/skullboy0/NINVegas.jpg

Not sure if they'd be playing the Colosseum at Caesar's though, that usually has longer-term shows.

CP does occasionally have one off shows in there, but it that place holds 5000 people, some new dates for Celine and Elton were just announced recently and they wouldn't have a 1 night show come in during a residency. Vegas doesn't have an amphitheater but there is the arena and Mandalay Bay and MGM....The Thomas and Mack Center....plus the theater of Planet Hollywood (which also only holds about 5000 people). Red Rock casino does have a small amphitheater but fuck me its hot in August! Britney Spears is doing her residency at PH but I'm not sure if August dates have been released. I'm hoping for 2 nights in Vegas, that would be fantastic!

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 03:42 PM
CP does occasionally have one off shows in there, but it that place holds 5000 people, some new dates for Celine and Elton were just announced recently and they wouldn't have a 1 night show come in during a residency. Vegas doesn't have an amphitheater but there is the arena and Mandalay Bay and MGM....The Thomas and Mack Center....plus the theater of Planet Hollywood (which also only holds about 5000 people). Red Rock casino does have a small amphitheater but fuck me its hot in August! Britney Spears is doing her residency at PH but I'm not sure if August dates have been released. I'm hoping for 2 nights in Vegas, that would be fantastic!

Yeah, playing with Google Image Search we figured out that one of the stills from the Soundgarden vid was for the venue Britney's show is at.

TheBang
03-07-2014, 03:45 PM
CP does occasionally have one off shows in there, but it that place holds 5000 people, some new dates for Celine and Elton were just announced recently and they wouldn't have a 1 night show come in during a residency. Vegas doesn't have an amphitheater but there is the arena and Mandalay Bay and MGM....The Thomas and Mack Center....plus the theater of Planet Hollywood (which also only holds about 5000 people).
It's already been identified as Planet Hollywood. PH Live is one of the photos in the Soundgarden video.

That's 21 venues, should be two more... which numbers are unidentified?
The videos are not comprehensive. There were a lot of duplicates in each videos. For example, the NIN video had, I think, 3 pictures of San Francisco. Soundgarden had a couple venues twice. Each video had some that were not in the other video. So the total number of dates/venues is unknown, and there may be some that are not even in the videos.

Moebius
03-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Yeah, playing with Google Image Search we figured out that one of the stills from the Soundgarden vid was for the venue Britney's show is at.

Another smaller show for Vegas... why does Las Vegas always get special treatments on his tours?

center27j
03-07-2014, 03:46 PM

agreed...it's too bad, bc this venue is so terrible i'll bail on this show. i've been to first midwest prob a dozen times and each time I told myself i'd never go back (no tailgating, sightlines are a joke and the acoustics are terrible)....i've stuck to my guns for 3 yrs. i'll never return, really disappointing.

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 03:50 PM
We're still missing #20 (http://imgur.com/a/dYw1X#19). Someone thinks it's Dallas.

dunebug81
03-07-2014, 03:52 PM
It's already been identified as Planet Hollywood. PH Live is one of the photos in the Soundgarden video.

Ahh, I didn't see the SG video. That does make the most sense. Hopefully there will be 2 shows. The final show to the WT tour was there in 06 and what a killer show it was!

Another smaller show for Vegas... why does Las Vegas always get special treatments on his tours?

Las Vegas is one of the smallest markets for being a "major market". the population of LV is just over 2 million hence the smaller venues (but sometimes multiple nights)

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Shall we try the NIN list?

1. Chicago
2. Vegas
3. Morrison Inn, Morrison CO
4. Colorado River, Grand Canyon
5. Toronto
7. Detroit
8. D.C. area
9. San Francisco
13. San Francisco
14. Columbia, MD
15. Cape Henry Lighthouse, Virginia Beach, VA?
21. The Woodlands Waterway, The Woodlands, TX
22. Dallas County Courthouse, Dallas, TX
23. Nob Hill Business Center, Albuquerque, NM
25. Irvine, CA?
27. San Francisco, CA
29. Liberty Hall, Crawfordville, GA
32. Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles, CA

Moebius
03-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Las Vegas is one of the smallest markets for being a "major market". the population of LV is just over 2 million hence the smaller venues (but sometimes multiple nights)

Right, they don't have bigger venues, but many large tours skip Vegas completely. NIN seems to hit it nearly every single tour, it's unusual.

sick among the pure
03-07-2014, 03:55 PM
This is why Trent put us through the ARG. It was preparation.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
This is why Trent put us through the ARG. It was preparation.
But … but … I NEVER WENT THROUGH THE TRAINING!

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Shall we try the NIN list?

2. Vegas
8. D.C. area

1. Art Institute of Chicago
2. Corner of Flamingo Blvd & Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas
3. Morrison Inn, Morrison CO
4. Colorado River- Lava Falls - Grand Canyon
5. Bay Street, Toronto, ON CA
6. No Result
7. Detroit Auto Graveyard
8. ?
9. No Result
10. No Result
11. Best guess for this image: Nine Inch Nails
12. No Result
13. No Result
14. Columbia, MD
15. Cape Henry Lighthouse, Virginia Beach, VA?
16. No Result
17. No Result
18. No Result
19. No Result
20. No Result
21. The Woodlands Waterway, The Woodlands, TX
22. Dallas County Courthouse, Dallas, TX
23. Nob Hill Business Center, Albuquerque, NM
24. No Result
25. Strawberry Farms Golf Club, Irvine, CA
26. No Result
27. San Francisco, CA
28. No Result
29. Liberty Hall, Crawfordville, GA
30. No Result, but may be #4 rotated & zoomed.
31. See #30

virushopper
03-07-2014, 04:14 PM

I think they are referring to the Greek Theater which is below the Griffith Observatory.

thevoid99
03-07-2014, 04:18 PM
If this is true... I'm going to sit this one out. I like Soundgarden but not enough to make me sit and listen to them just so I can wait for NIN. Yet, if NIN ends up having to play before them. That's an insult. I have other things to do right now. I would've preferred if it was NIN/QOSTA or NIN/Depeche Mode, or NIN/Bowie.

Moebius
03-07-2014, 04:24 PM
11. Best guess for this image: Nine Inch Nails

Heh. Some of these are probably unidentifiable, but I left them in in case they are distinctive to locals.

If this is true... I'm going to sit this one out. I like Soundgarden but not enough to make me sit and listen to them just so I can wait for NIN.

They're almost all seated venues, you don't need to show up early when you're not in GA.

Kyle
03-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Heh. Some of these are probably unidentifiable, but I left them in in case they are distinctive to locals.

They're almost all seated venues, you don't need to show up early when you're not in GA.

and most of them have a small enough pit area that getting early won't make a huge difference. If you have lawn tickets though get there early.

dunebug81
03-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Right, they don't have bigger venues, but many large tours skip Vegas completely. NIN seems to hit it nearly every single tour, it's unusual.

Yeah I guess that's true. I see quite a few shows in Vegas these days and pretty much everyone I've wanted to see in the last few years has hit Vegas.

billpulsipher
03-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Dave Gahan said in an interview recently that he would like Depeche to do a summer amphitheatre tour in the US like they did back in 94...Trent should have looked into that, rather than tour with a washed up 90s nostalgia act in Soundgarden

Kyle
03-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Dave Gahan said in an interview recently that he would like Depeche to do a summer amphitheatre tour in the US like they did back in 94...Trent should have looked into that, rather than tour with a washed up 90s nostalgia act in Soundgarden

But based on your posts, NIN is also a washed up 90s nostalgia act, so it should be a perfect fit.

And besides, if he tours with Depeche Mode, DM would be the headliners. Tour with Soundgarden, NIN is the headliner (I looked them up on setlist.fm and saw the size of the recent venues they've played in - NIN is the headliner definitely). That means more NIN. Also, higher ticket prices. That's a bigger one for me. I'd rather see DM than Soundgarden, but not at the higher price that it would entail.

icecream
03-07-2014, 06:23 PM
JA and QOTSA are frat rock? You should write for Pitchfork

Kyle
03-07-2014, 06:26 PM
JA and QOTSA are frat rock? You should write for Pitchfork

As someone who is back in school and spending my days with this generation of frat boys, it's clear that Bill is showing his age.

icecream
03-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I saw a show called Bob Dylan with Mark Knopfler and they both did 1.5 hr sets. Both co-headlining but Bob's name was first. Don't know if NIN is the same way or not, depends on the promotion team?

suprefan
03-07-2014, 07:08 PM

If you were going to be cool with $300 ticket prices, then by all means.

icecream
03-07-2014, 07:10 PM
As someone who is back in school and spending my days with this generation of frat boys, it's clear that Bill is showing his age.
Frat boys here listen to lots of electronic music and dubstep. If they do like rock its always like ACDC or Led Zeppelin

Raffman
03-07-2014, 07:55 PM
from what I was told nin might be playing at the hollywood bowl on aug 25th.

icecream
03-07-2014, 08:09 PM
I head Tool's new album is finished. A NIN/Tool show would be fucking amazing. I would travel many miles and hours to see that. Not so much soundgarden...

Kyle
03-07-2014, 08:32 PM
I head Tool's new album is finished. A NIN/Tool show would be fucking amazing. I would travel many miles and hours to see that. Not so much soundgarden...

I hate to burst your bubble, but Adam told a fan who asked about the album "yeah it's done. It'll be out tomorrow" and someone missed the sarcasm and reported it as fact (conveniently leaving out the "tomorrow" part which would make it clear it wasn't serious) and the band immediately corrected the reports.

With that said, they are working on it. It should be out this year, but it's not done.

icecream
03-07-2014, 08:36 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but Adam told a fan who asked about the album "yeah it's done. It'll be out tomorrow" and someone missed the sarcasm and reported it as fact (conveniently leaving out the "tomorrow" part which would make it clear it wasn't serious) and the band immediately corrected the reports.

With that said, they are working on it. It should be out this year, but it's not done.
hahahahah thanks for the update. Just read the story before work and haven't seen anything else about it.

Krazy
03-07-2014, 08:43 PM

First thing I thought of...

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp060823.htm

and yes that new Tool thing got out of hand FAST. Adam Jones was joking about it with a fan during Q&A in Portland and someone ran off with it.

Krazy
03-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Also as cool it was to finally hear that US dates are right around the corner to be announced, I think it sucks to be a co-headliner again. The crowds are going to be a bit divided, the couple NINJA shows I saw were a bit "awkward" in that regard and shortened setlist for NIN. SG is OK but I don't think they'll take a complete back seat to NIN and simply be an opener- although if that happens then this would be a pretty damn good tour (again, not counting on it).

skullboy0
03-07-2014, 09:02 PM

I was surprised at how many were identified by Google Images, even if it couldn't find a hit with the actual image.

The "auto graveyard" one it couldn't identify the actual base image, but it figured out that it was an "auto graveyard" & in the hits for that search it had the actual base image.

suprefan
03-07-2014, 09:12 PM
from what I was told nin might be playing at the hollywood bowl on aug 25th.

Is playing.

Kyle
03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Also as cool it was to finally hear that US dates are right around the corner to be announced, I think it sucks to be a co-headliner again. The crowds are going to be a bit divided, the couple NINJA shows I saw were a bit "awkward" in that regard and shortened setlist for NIN. SG is OK but I don't think they'll take a complete back seat to NIN and simply be an opener- although if that happens then this would be a pretty damn good tour (again, not counting on it).

Soundgarden - may 22 2013 St. Louis. The Pageant. Maximum occupancy between 1,000 and 2,300 depending on setup
NIN - oct 1 2013 St. Louis. Chaifetz Arena. Maximum occupancy 10,600

i think you're overestimating Soundgarden. I don't think they'll be just an opener, but they're definitely the second stringers on this tour.

Krazy
03-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Soundgarden - may 22 2013 St. Louis. The Pageant. Maximum occupancy between 1,000 and 2,300 depending on setup

i think you're overestimating Soundgarden. I don't think they'll be just an opener, but they're definitely the second stringers on this tour.

We'll see soon I guess but that's like saying NIN is a smaller band because of the Wave Goodbye venues. SG is headlining Sasquatch and that SXSW iTunes festival.

I REALLY hope your right but I doubt it. There's also the recent news article with TR getting all giddy about co-headlining tours. Here it is in case anyone missed it:

Dammit, I can't find it. It was from a few days ago and was TR talking up about how co-headlining tours are a great alternative to the typical festivals we all get now, and how much he misses them (I honestly didn't even know they really existed). Searching "NIN tour co headliners" under news has fucked Google with today's news. Maybe someone else has tht link around here.

Kyle
03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I went back a few years and in 2011, Soundgarden played bigger arenas so maybe you're right. However that LiveNation ad clearly said NIN with Soundgarden. I don't have any doubt that NIN is the headliner here. How big a difference it will be is the question. I'm thinking longer than the QOTSA tour setlists but shorter than Tension.

I'm not fooling anyone though. I'm going to as many shows as I can afford. That's just a given.

icecream
03-07-2014, 10:33 PM
First thing I thought of...

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp060823.htm

and yes that new Tool thing got out of hand FAST. Adam Jones was joking about it with a fan during Q&A in Portland and someone ran off with it.
"Besides, if I really want a four-hour wankfest, I can do that at home."
Gold

FULLMETAL
03-07-2014, 10:55 PM

To add some perspective, NIN sold 7,500 seats at Chaifetz Arena while MUSE sold 8,700 which was one of the largest crowds for the arena.

billpulsipher
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Soundgardens last album tanked and got awful reviews. Apparently Cornell's voice is shot based on what friends told me, who saw them in concert, so riding NINs coat-tails will be good for them....Shocked TR hasn't called up Scott Weiland to tour

botley
03-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Oh — so NIN fans are being bitchy about the opening band? Huh, weird, that's totally never happened before

Krazy
03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Oh — so NIN fans are being bitchy about the opening band? Huh, weird, that's totally never happened before

Not sure who that's directed to, but I'll bitch about a co-headlining tour. They (dual headliners, not necessarily SG) suck.

GulDukat
03-07-2014, 11:35 PM

How is Depeche Mode any less "washed-up" than Soundgarden?

Krazy
03-07-2014, 11:39 PM

I'd way rather see SG than DM personally, I actually can't stand DM, but they do very well in ticket sales for whatever reason.

ninlive
03-07-2014, 11:43 PM

This has nothing to do with NIN, but I don't think selling out arenas and having the one of the top grossing tours of the summer (source: billboard charts), I'd highly doubt that. Probably their best tour since 1993-1994.....

BACK TO NIN: I'd really like to see some reasonable ticket prices on this one. I get more anxiety with getting a good amphitheater seat than just buying a GA ticket.

GulDukat
03-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Soundgardens last album tanked and got awful reviews. Apparently Cornell's voice is shot based on what friends told me, who saw them in concert, so riding NINs coat-tails will be good for them....Shocked TR hasn't called up Scott Weiland to tour

King Animal actually received pretty-favorable reviews:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Animal#Critical_response

Not sure about sales. I think I read (and again, I'm not sure, can't find anything online) that it sold a few hundred thousand copies. You know what? That's not bad. Rock bands (especially veteran acts) don't have huge record sales anymore. How many copies did the last Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, etc. albums sell? The sales of King Animal are way down from the sales of Superunknown, but that's to be expected and as far as 90s bands selling albums in the 2010s go, the sales were respectable.

Cornell's voice isn't quite what it was, but he's still a very powerful singer. I for one would love to go to a NIN/Soundgarden show. It's disappointing to see so much complaining. John Lennon and George Harrison could come back from the dead, do a tour with NIN and people on this forum would still bitch.

Kyle
03-07-2014, 11:54 PM
To add some perspective, NIN sold 7,500 seats at Chaifetz Arena while MUSE sold 8,700 which was one of the largest crowds for the arena.

Dont misunderstand me. I'm fully aware of the fact that NIN is certainly not at 1994 levels of popularity. But 7,500 is still more than triple the maximum capacity at the Pageant.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Not sure who that's directed to, but I'll bitch about a co-headlining tour. They (dual headliners, not necessarily SG) suck.
Perhaps the folks Down Under will have something to report. Is NIN is getting shortchanged sharing with QOTSA?

Kyle

Not sure about sales. I think I read (and again, I'm not sure, can't find anything online) that it sold a few hundred thousand copies. You know what? That's not bad. Rock bands (especially veteran acts) don't have huge record sales anymore. How many copies did the last Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, QOTSA albums sell? The sales of King Animal are way down from the sales of Superunknown, but that's to be expected and as far as 90s bands selling albums in the 2010s go, the sales were respectable.

Cornell's voice isn't quite what it was, but he's still a very powerful singer. I for one would love to go to a NIN/Soundgarden show. It's disappointing to see so much complaining. John Lennon and George Harrison could come back from the dead, do a tour with NIN and people on this forum would still bitch.

Keep in mind that everything Bill said about Soundgarden, he's also said about NIN. If he wants to remain consistent, he shouldn't be complaining at all since they're clearly a perfect match in his eyes.

BRoswell

Yeah, but who needs facts when you can just make shit up?

Krazy
03-07-2014, 11:58 PM
John Lennon and George Harrison could come back from the dead, do a tour with NIN and people on this forum would still bitch.

Meathead already covered that, heh.

Again, I think the disappointing thing is the co-headliner BS. Two bands with fairly good fan bases make for an awkward situation.

Theres an echo in here.

GulDukat
03-07-2014, 11:59 PM

I'm looking through the reviews in that list and guess who did NOT give it a good review...PITCHFORK! WOW, so shocking! I guess not everyone can be as awesome as fucking Vampire Weekend.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Meathead already covered that, heh.

Again, I think the disappointing thing is the co-headliner BS. Two bands with fairly good fan bases make for an awkward situation.

Theres an echo in here.

IDK, a lot of the same people bought both TDS and Superunknown 20 years ago. There's going to be a lot of cross-over fans. It's not like NIN is touring with Limp Bizkit, which would be a really bad match.

Most of the fans who buy tickets are going to stay for both acts and enjoy themselves, even if they only love one of the bands and are just casual fans of the other. The malcontents on the internet make up only a fraction of the population.

BRoswell
03-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Personally, I've never listened to a single Soundgarden song. There's no particular reason behind it either. I just haven't heard their stuff. Maybe that's why this news isn't that interesting for me beyond "Awesome! I get another chance to see Nine Inch Nails live!". I've only been lucky enough to see them once, and my second opportunity to see them failed because I had to have emergency surgery the day of the concert. I guess that's why I'm not so concerned about who they're touring with (though I am pissed that they've played with two of my all time favorite bands and I was not able to see those shows due to simple logistics). I'm just glad they're touring AT ALL.

kittiekorn
03-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Taking a closer look at the Verizon seating chart, the closest seats look to be about 100/ea. I didn't see that anyone posted it, so there. hi.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Personally, I've never listened to a single Soundgarden song. There's no particular reason behind it either. I just haven't heard their stuff. Maybe that's why this news isn't that interesting for me beyond "Awesome! I get another chance to see Nine Inch Nails live!". I've only been lucky enough to see them once, and my second opportunity to see them failed because I had to have emergency surgery the day of the concert. I guess that's why I'm not so concerned about who they're touring with (though I am pissed that they've played with two of my all time favorite bands and I was not able to see those shows due to simple logistics). I'm just glad they're touring AT ALL.

If you want to explore out Soundgarden, check out Superunknown, which is a true 90s classic and a landmark album.

Krazy
03-08-2014, 12:13 AM
IDK, a lot of the same people bought both TDS and Superunknown 20 year ago. There's going to be a lot of cross-over fans. It's not like NIN is touring with Limp Bizkit, which would be a really bad match.

Most of the fans who buy ticket are going to stay for both acts and enjoy themselves, even if they only love one of the bands and are just casual fans of the other. The malcontents on the internet make up only a fraction of the population.

I know what your getting at and sounds good on paper- but thought the same thing about the NINJA shows. It was a bit of a divided crowd. Not terrible or anything but like I said before somewhat "awkward". Crowd was a bit dull compared to a proper NIN tour. (my experience anyways)

gorast
03-08-2014, 12:15 AM
I like the opportunity to see both of them at the same show - two birds, one stone type deal. Especially since I wouldn't go see Soundgarden by themselves, but I'm fine with seeing them co-headlining or whatever's going on with this tour.

Chris still sounds great, too. The first Audioslave album is when he really sounded like shit.

Kyle
03-08-2014, 12:18 AM
I know what your getting at and sounds good on paper- but thought the same thing about the NINJA shows. It was a bit of a divided crowd. Not terrible or anything but like I said before somewhat "awkward". Crowd was a bit dull compared to a proper NIN tour. (my experience anyways)

Go see NIN at a festival where the rest of the days entertainment includes Kendrick Lamar and Mackelmore and the previous nights headliner was Beyoncé and then we can talk awkward. :)

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 12:20 AM

I caught the Mansfield show and some of the folks left after NIN's set, but most of the audience stayed for Jane's. I thought that it went fairly well.

The mistake on that tour, IMO, was having NIN go on first. NIN has a larger fanbase and their show would have been better at night. As one writer put it (paraphrasing) "it's hard to enjoy a song like "heresy" when it's a beautiful day and the crowd is bouncing a beach ball."

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-08-2014, 12:25 AM
I’ve been checking out videos from last year. Some songs are a bridge too far, but he sounds OK for the most part.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 12:30 AM
I saw Soundgarden last year and they f.cking rocked. It was something like a 2.5 hour set. It was mostly BMF/SU/KA with a couple of older songs thrown in the mix.

When I saw Soundgarden they didn't have an opening band, which is kind of my wish for this tour. I'd rather just have more NIN and SG.

Kyle
03-08-2014, 12:38 AM
For a bit in the 90s the smashing pumpkins were their own opening band. They'd come out and play a half hour acoustic set (I seem to remember hearing they were in pajamas for it but I wasn't at any of these shows) and then leave the stage and play their regular show. I'd love to see NIN open with Still-style NIN (pajamas not necessary though) but I know that won't happen.

MENDOZA
03-08-2014, 12:52 AM
I remember in 1998 when a bunch of bands from the 80s Adam and the Ants and Human League and Culture Club all got together to go on a tour.
A package nostalgia fest woefully out of date with the times.
When i saw NIN were touring with Soungarden in 2014 it reminded me of that.

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 12:59 AM
^^^but I would have loved that 80s nostalgia tour!
Anyway just because NIN are touring with Soundgarden doesn't mean their show is going to be completely nostalgic. Would you really complain though if they did a Downward Spiral all the way through thing as a 20 years commemoration?

Krazy
03-08-2014, 01:06 AM
None of those bands/musicians have had the sustained level of success here in the US compared to NIN or SD (both groupings are from different sides of the pond). Stupid thing to compare it to or "remind" anyone of- not even mentioning NIN's reputation of elaborate production/great live shows.

VenturaLocal
03-08-2014, 02:08 AM
07/04 - George, WA - Gorge Amphitheatre (feat. Punch Brothers, Sol, Chad VanGaalen)
07/06 - George, WA - Sasquatch! Music Festival

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...ml?no_takeover

shaw'ba

BenAkenobi
03-08-2014, 02:18 AM
looking forward to medley of songs Head down by both bands.

MAD
03-08-2014, 02:37 AM
I made this earlier, the trailer frame-by-frame.

http://youtu.be/y1MTH8KXcQg

billpulsipher
03-08-2014, 02:40 AM

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17300-king-animal/ bad review

bobbie solo
03-08-2014, 02:40 AM
This will absolutely be a co-headlining tour. You can expect the same set times as the current Australian tour. Soundgarden isn't going to go out & open for anyone. They will play equal, maybe even flip a coin like they're doing now. Soundgarden is headlining a few summer festivals, and did an arena tour or two back when they first reunited. Yes their crowds have died down since then, but that's bc they were touring so much. People will come out in droves to this since it's being rolled out as a summer outdoor event. Casual fans eat that shit up, and many of them bro out & tailgate all day. Yes it's lame & a super 'Murica thing, but these shows will be near capacity each night. Trent ain't trying to take another loss on a tour like Tension. This will be big $ for both bands.

Maybe their won't be an opener as suggested above and we can get more than 90 minutes from each band, but that's doubtful. People just don't go into shows like this early, so promoters are wary to put a draw act on stage at 7pm. I'd love to be wrong though.

Oh, and about the bad Illinois venue: the bands don't pick where they play. Doesn't matter what Trent's view on this is. The promoter, who in this case looks to be Live Nation (not sure yet though), routes the tour. And they're not going to skip a huge market like Chicago. There may be other outdoor venues, but Live Nation might own the one you're referring too, hence the tour going through there....keep the $ in house.

billpulsipher
03-08-2014, 02:41 AM
another awful review http://www.musicomh.com/reviews/albums/soundgarden-king-animal

billpulsipher
03-08-2014, 02:41 AM
and yet another awful review http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/soundgarden-king-animal

billpulsipher
03-08-2014, 02:42 AM
shall we continue http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-soundgarden-album-review-king-animal-reviewed-20121110,0,4826653.column

TheBang
03-08-2014, 02:56 AM
This is just pure conjecture on my part, and the full list of venues may not be complete. But here is my guess at what the tour route could look like.

Tinley Park, IL
First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre

Clarkston, MI
DTE Energy Music Theatre

Toronto, ON
Molson Amphitheatre

7/29
Mansfield, MA
Xfinity Center

8/1
Wantagh, NY
Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

Holmdel, NJ
PNC Bank Arts Center

Xfinity Live!
Philadelphia, PA

Columbia, MD
Merriweather Post Pavilion

8/5
Virginia Beach, VA
Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach

8/7
Charlotte, NC
PNC Music Pavilion

8/8
Lakewood, GA
Aaron's Amphitheatre

Tampa, FL
MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre

Bonner Springs, KS
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater

The Woodlands, TX
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

Austin, TX
The Austin360 Amphitheater

8/17
Dallas, TX
Gexa Energy Pavilion

Morrison, CO
Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Albuquerque, NM
Isleta Amphitheater

Las Vegas, NV
The AXIS at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino

8/24
Mountain View, CA
Shoreline Amphitheatre

8/25
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Bowl

Irvine, CA
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater

Chula Vista, CA
Sleep Train Amphitheatre

And here's a custom Google Map with all the points laid out:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zyI-rLFt-keI.kAnL9kWlE8xU

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 05:21 AM
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17300-king-animal/ bad review

Yeah, but that's Pitchfork...

Overall, it was very well received.

Again:

spahn
03-08-2014, 06:33 AM
there better be a miami or west palm beach amphitheater date in there as well, dammit!

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 06:39 AM
RE: billpulsipher:

You can find some bad reviews, sure, but again, referring to Wiki:

At Metacritic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacritic), which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from critics, the album received an average score of 70, which indicates "generally favorable reviews", based on 32 reviews

Over at amazon, the album received 4/5 stars, based on 363 customer reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/King-Animal-Soundgarden/dp/B009AZZEU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1394282230&sr=1-1&keywords=king+animal

So there you go, the album was, overall, well received by both fans and critics.

thom25
03-08-2014, 06:49 AM
The Axis at Planet Hollywood is where Brittney Spears is the resident performer. I heard they took out a ton of seats to accommodate her "set", but there are plenty of open dates for the theater, all of which are mid-week.

sweeterthan
03-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Soundgarden's Head Down > NIN's Head Down

I loved Soundgarden when I was 13. So I checked out the lastest album when it came out. King animal isn't a great album. It sounds like Soundgarden, yes, but it feels uninspired. I only listened a few times before giving up on any connection. That said I saw SG last year and they sounded great. They played a 1200 seat venue and it was packed. Cornell seemed peeved that no one cared about KA but otherwise played a good set. They opened with spoonman. No rusty cage. The visuals were lame.

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Go see NIN at a festival where the rest of the days entertainment includes Kendrick Lamar and Mackelmore and the previous nights headliner was Beyoncé and then we can talk awkward. :)
I don't think this is as awkward as a bunch of Fall Out Boy fans (seriously, why???) absolutely lapping up their shit, then totally indifferent to NIN at Reading festival

slave2thewage
03-08-2014, 07:26 AM
The Axis at Planet Hollywood is where Brittney Spears is the resident performer. I heard they took out a ton of seats to accommodate her "set", but there are plenty of open dates for the theater, all of which are mid-week.
I wish they were doing amphitheatres with Britney. At least then they would be touring with someone who has a modicum of talent.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 07:37 AM
I wish they were doing amphitheatres with Britney. At least then they would be touring with someone who has a modicum of talent.

Are you saying that Spears has more talent than Soundgarden?

slave2thewage
03-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Are you saying that Spears has more talent than Soundgarden?
Absolutely. Defining figure in pop music vs generic 90s rock. You do the math.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Absolutely. Defining figure in pop music vs generic 90s rock. You do the math.

I was in the middle of writing a lengthy reply when I decided not to--your post is just too absurd to really take seriously.

Canuckle
03-08-2014, 07:58 AM
This thread is full of great laughs. Couple points of perspective:

1) 100% there is a Soundgarden board/thread somewhere that mirrors the complaints and narrow-mindedness of this one (including the resident troll pulling up targeted critical reviews of Hesitation Marks).

2) I wonder how our friends from overseas will react to North American fans complaining about NIN co-headlining a show with a band they don't enjoy; when they, for the most part, need to shell out equal if not more money to see a 45-60 minute NIN set with Eminem.

Digressions aside, I'm intrigued by this tour. I have never latched onto Soundgarden but have a very good friend who worshipped Kim Thayil when he was younger. I've listened to King Animal with him and it didn't jump out at me. Gonna give the catalogue another spin if this rumour holds up.

Definitely going to give the tour a shot given I missed out on NINJA here in TO, and decided (stupidity I might add) that the Wave Goodbye Virgin Festival wasn't my thing.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 08:04 AM
This thread is full of great laughs. Couple points of perspective:

1) 100% there is a Soundgarden board/thread somewhere that mirrors the complaints and narrow-mindedness of this one (including the resident troll pulling up targeted critical reviews of Hesitation Marks).

2) I wonder how our friends from overseas will react to North American fans complaining about NIN co-headlining a show with a band they don't enjoy; when they, for the most part, need to shell out equal if not more money to see a 45-60 minute NIN set with Eminem.

Digressions aside, I'm intrigued by this tour. I have never latched onto Soundgarden but have a very good friend who worshipped Kim Thayil when he was younger. I've listened to King Animal with him and it didn't jump out at me. Gonna give the catalogue another spin if this rumour holds up.

Definitely going to give the tour a shot given I missed out on NINJA here in TO, and decided (stupidity I might add) that the Wave Goodbye Virgin Festival wasn't my thing.

Good points. With regard to King Animal, it's a "grower" IMHO. I felt that it was sort of by-the-numbers Soundgarden at first, but I started to really get into it with repeated plays.

I hope that NIN/SG aren't playing Mansfield on 8/15, as that's when I'm seeing Tori Amos.

DonkeyBoner42
03-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Would it not be safe to assume 2 nights at RED ROCKS (capacity 9,500) Every other venue outside of Las Vegas is in the 20,000 or more range. Definitely interested in flying in for 2 nights at Red Rocks and purchasing some legal THC infused edibles.

DonkeyBoner42
03-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Good points. With regard to King Animal, it's a "grower" IMHO. I felt that it was sort of by-the-numbers Soundgarden at first, but I started to really get into it with repeated plays.Totally agree. Today's culture just calls something a classic or a dud after one listen. Really a grower and I like it a lot better than Down on the Upside. The last 3 tracks on the album are awesome.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Poor Down on the Upside. A lot of people seem to view it as a letdown. When I saw Soundgarden last year they only played one song from it. I thought it was good.

k258
03-08-2014, 08:39 AM
The hard part of this is having to compete with Soundgarden fans for tix/rail spots. It's hard enough with one headliner. And being in a crowd with split affections is not as much fun as a unified crowd. NINJA is not a very fond memory. At least in August, it should be warm enough.

Gotta find some amusement parks on route to make the travel more fun. Rye Playland, Canobie, Lake Compounce...

filmfanb
03-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Meh, regardless of their issues fuck it. Soundgarden are supporting nails right ?That says it all.

skullboy0
03-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Oh, and about the bad Illinois venue: the bands don't pick where they play. Doesn't matter what Trent's view on this is. The promoter, who in this case looks to be Live Nation (not sure yet though), routes the tour. And they're not going to skip a huge market like Chicago. There may be other outdoor venues, but Live Nation might own the one you're referring too, hence the tour going through there....keep the $ in house.

Live Nation owns First Midwest Bank Ampitheater, & "operates" FirstMerit Bank Pavilion. (the Chicago Park District owns the land)

jessamineny
03-08-2014, 10:28 AM
I’m not sure why people are so sure Soundgarden will be co-headlining. Here are some facts.

In 2011, Soundgarden had not toured in 13 years. That should have made for crazy demand once they reunited. However, upon their return in July 2011, they only managed one months’ worth of gigs in larger venues (the kind NIN is currently playing).

After going overseas for a bit, and releasing a new album (hello, ticket sales, right???), they played for about three months (off and on from November 2012 to May 2013) in small venues in some of North America’s largest cities. Places like the Phoenix in Toronto, the Fonda in L.A., Terminal 5 in NYC, the DAR Constitution Hall in D.C. and the Tabernacle in Atlanta. This was no 10-concert, three-city vanity tour like NIN’s Wave Goodbye. This was three months, across North America, after releasing a brand-new album, and still “fresh” from a 13-year-long touring absence.

This is not a band that TR holds close to his heart, that he would elevate to co-headlining status because of mutual respect. If it truly happens, with trading opening/closing slots, they better be playing Superunknown in full like they are at SXSW iTunes. That’s the only reason I can think of that they might pull in enough ticket sales to earn the spot.

slave2thewage
03-08-2014, 10:33 AM
I was in the middle of writing a lengthy reply when I decided not to--your post is just too absurd to really take seriously.
What's so absurd about wanting NIN to tour with an act that can actually sing?

becomingwater
03-08-2014, 10:53 AM
NIN and Sound Garden to come to the Woodlands pavilion Houston, TX date TBA. Sis works there

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I’m not sure why people are so sure Soundgarden will be co-headlining. Here are some facts. In 2011, Soundgarden had not toured in 13 years. That should have made for crazy demand once they reunited. However, upon their return in July 2011, they only managed one months’ worth of gigs in larger venues (the kind NIN is currently playing). After going overseas for a bit, and releasing a new album (hello, ticket sales, right???), they played for about three months (off and on from November 2012 to May 2013) in small venues in some of North America’s largest cities. Places like the Phoenix in Toronto, the Fonda in L.A., Terminal 5 in NYC, the DAR Constitution Hall in D.C. and the Tabernacle in Atlanta. This was no 10-concert, three-city vanity tour like NIN’s Wave Goodbye. This was three months, across North America, after releasing a brand-new album, and still “fresh” from a 13-year-long touring absence. This is not a band that TR holds close to his heart, that he would elevate to co-headlining status because of mutual respect. If it truly happens, with trading opening/closing slots, they better be playing Superunknown in full like they are at SXSW iTunes. That’s the only reason I can think they might pull in enough ticket sales to earn the spot.

Some good points. On the other hand, NIN have been touring and releasing music for years, maintaining a loyal fanbase. Soundgarden, on the other hand broke up in 1996. What if Soundgarden had toured/released music since the mid-90s and Trent had not toured or released music since TDS? The two bands might be in the other ones shoes.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 11:04 AM
What so absurd about wanting NIN to tour with an act that can actually sing?

Cornell sounds just fine, and were would Britney be without autotunes? Besides, a NIN/Britney Spears tour being the biggest mismatch since Hendrix opened for the Monkees. That's the last I'll say on such nonsense.

slave2thewage
03-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Cornell always sounded like a drunken goat having a stroke to me. This tour is just... weird, and such a downgrade compared to the other acts that Trent and co have toured with this year.

thefragile_jake
03-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Soundgarden's Head Down > NIN's Head Down

I loved Soundgarden when I was 13. So I checked out the lastest album when it came out. King animal isn't a great album. It sounds like Soundgarden, yes, but it feels uninspired. I only listened a few times before giving up on any connection. That said I saw SG last year and they sounded great. They played a 1200 seat venue and it was packed. Cornell seemed peeved that no one cared about KA but otherwise played a good set. They opened with spoonman. No rusty cage. The visuals were lame.

Yeah the visuals were INCREDIBLY lame when I saw them.

jessamineny
03-08-2014, 11:35 AM
What if Soundgarden had toured/released music since the mid-90s and Trent had not toured or released music since TDS? The two bands might be in the other ones shoes.

I'm not sure what your point is. They didn't. They're not.

That's like saying: What if I had been born as Bill Gates? LIFE WOULD BE SO DIFFERENT

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure what your point is. They didn't. They're not.

That's like saying: What if I had been born as Bill Gates? LIFE WOULD BE SO DIFFERENT

My point is that part of the reason why NIN is still relevant is because of constant touring/releasing music over the years and that's not the case for Soundgarden.

gorny540
03-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Amphitheater tours over arena tours all day. If the dates match up well I might go for the Jones Beach-NJ-Philly trifecta

Papagolash
03-08-2014, 12:09 PM
I'm glad NIN is touring with someone enjoyable for once.

richardp
03-08-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm glad NIN is touring with someone enjoyable for once.

Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, QOTSA, MEW, The Horrors, Boris, Crystal Castles, HEALTH, Deerhunter, TV on The Radio, etc.

I think it's safe to say that NIN have been touring with some extremely enjoyable bands for quite some time now. Soundgarden? Not one of them.

This Soundgarden "comeback" is nothing more than a cash-grab for Cornell since his solo-career didn't pan out.

dunebug81
03-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Explosions In The Sky

Terrible

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Even more terrible

QOTSA

Great!

HEALTH

Terrible

Deerhunter

Terrible

TV on The Radio

Surprisingly good

I think it's safe to say that NIN have been touring with some extremely enjoyable bands for quite some time now.

Nope, thats wrong.

ManBurning
03-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm with @dunebug81 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2756) and @Papagolash (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=181), all those opening acts that @richardp (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=139) mentioned, with the exception of QOTSA (and I wouldn't even put them high on a pedestal), are absolute GARBAGE!

I said it before, and i'll say it again.. Soungarden is the best opener Trent has had since A Perfect Circle opened the fragility tour.

slave2thewage
03-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Dresden Dolls, Saul Williams, Explosions in the Sky, Crystal Castles, Alec Empire, Autolux, Gary Numan, Mew, The Horrors, Bauhaus, Peaches.

Sigh, it's a shame.

Krazy
03-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Dresden Dolls, Saul Williams, Explosions in the Sky, Crystal Castles, Alec Empire, Autolux, Gary Numan, Mew, The Horrors, Bauhaus, Peaches.

Sigh, it's a shame.

All those bands/musicians have little to no effect on ticket sales. SG will which is the point of trying to fill 20,000 seats.

Papagolash
03-08-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm talking more about bands that I've actually seen play with NIN recently, not all of the bands that have toured with them. QOTSA and Janes Addiction sucked. The Horrors were an absolute joke. Whoever opened for them in Vegas recently were so forgettable I can't even remember who they were. Whoever opened for them in Vegas for LITS were god awful, MEW did the other 2 NYC Wave Goodbye shows right? They were OK.

Soundgarden for me is hearing who's going to be opening for them that I've heard prior and actually being excited for,because a majority of bands NIN has toured with since 2005 I have never heard of before. The only other time I can think of that I heard of a band opening for NIN that I knew I would enjoy was Dresden Dolls. Trying to think of the last time I saw an opener for NIN that I never heard of before but I liked when I saw them and became a fan. Think it was Saul Williams and Does it offend you, yeah? I'm sure if I saw Crystal Castles/Bauhaus/Peaches the feeling would be about the same.

tl;dlr I really haven't cared for any band NIN has toured with since Wave Goodbye, and I'm happy they will be touring with a band I like for once.

skullboy0
03-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, QOTSA, MEW, The Horrors, Boris, Crystal Castles, HEALTH, Deerhunter, TV on The Radio, etc.

Outside of MAYBE QOTSA, those bands didn't draw anybody to the show that wouldn't have gone if it was just NIN.

My buddies who couldn't be bothered to go to any of the Wave Goodbye shows with me in Chicago were instantly in when I said NIN & Soundgarden were touring together.

DonkeyBoner42
03-08-2014, 02:01 PM

I think it's safe to say that NIN have been touring with some extremely enjoyable bands for quite some time now. Soundgarden? Not one of them.

This Soundgarden "comeback" is nothing more than a cash-grab for Cornell since his solo-career didn't pan out.

Not true. Cornell sells out 3,000-5,000 seat theatre on his solo tours. His solo tours do just as well as the Soundgarden business honestly.

dunebug81
03-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Of the 45 or so shows I've seen it's definatly been more lousy openers then good ones.

Good:
marilyn manson, APC, qotsa, Saul Williams, street sweeper, tv on the radio, and Gary numan.

Bad:
the list is nearly endless. The worst being Godspeed, death from above, and janes addiction.

somewhat_
03-08-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm guessing tickets aren't going on sale next week, otherwise we would already have the dates announced?

richardp
03-08-2014, 02:42 PM
I guess if anything, this tour is just reminding me of how many butt-rock fans NIN still have under their belt who are afraid to branch out into modern music, rather than clinging onto hopes of more tired ass Tool albums and such.

sweeterthan
03-08-2014, 03:00 PM
It reminds me how close minded and elitist nin fans can be. Just coz someone liked or doesn't mind or even loves Soundgarden does not mean they're afraid "branch out into modern music". Hilarious.

billpulsipher
03-08-2014, 03:07 PM
At least Trent is into washed up 90s artists these days, as opposed to washed up 70s artists (Numan, Muprhy)

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
^^^those are low blows billpulsipher

Spacemunky
03-08-2014, 03:45 PM
As for the opening band/co-headliner wish & judgement list, meh.
It is what it is. Crap in one hand, wish in the other.
What makes me scratch my head is the 'Philly date' listing xfinity live as a venue. It's a bar complex across from the stadiums of the eagles, flyers,& phillies.
I'm guessing they are hinting at Camden across the bridge?
Really wish it would be the Mann music center instead of murdertown usa. F'n hate the Camden venue!
Mann Center is so much cooler. Plenty of space, much cleaner,& you can't buy crack right out front.
It's like the Red Rocks of Philly!
Oh well. Hope they spill the beans soon. Suspense is killing me!

Demogorgon
03-08-2014, 03:51 PM
i hope there's an Ohio show still to be revealed, or a PA show that's closer to Cleveland than Philly. Philly is way out of my driving preferences, but i'd love to see Soundgarden, and i'm never one to pass on a NIN show if i can help it. Erie i could do, or Pittsburgh. Cleveland of course would be the best option for me, but i'll take what i can get i suppose.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 03:59 PM
I guess if anything, this tour is just reminding me of how many butt-rock fans NIN still have under their belt who are afraid to branch out into modern music, rather than clinging onto hopes of more tired ass Tool albums and such.

Are you calling Soundgarden "butt-rock"?

Krazy
03-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I had to google WTF butt rock was, honestly never heard of or seen the term before...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buttrock

Butt Rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Butt%20Rock&defid=3302891)
1. A rock you sit on
2. A rock that looks like a butt
3. ???
4. Profit!
Bob 1: I'm gonna go sit on my butt rock!
Bob 2: What is wrong with you.
by I Hate All The Internets (http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=I+Hate+All+The+Internets) August 24, 2008

1436 681

Words related to Butt Rock:

rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rock) butt (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butt) cock rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cock%20rock) creed (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=creed) hair metal (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hair%20metal) buttrock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buttrock) metal (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metal) butt rocker (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butt%20rocker) hard rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hard%20rock) heavy metal (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=heavy%20metal) nickelback (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nickelback) glam rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glam%20rock) hair bands (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hair%20bands)hesher (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hesher) metalhead (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metalhead) 80's (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=80%27s) 80's rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=80%27s%20rock) ass rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ass%20rock) staind (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=staind) white trash (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white%20trash)

Random Word (http://www.urbandictionary.com/random.php)

Upload a picture of Butt Rock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/images.new.php?word=Butt+Rock)

Buttrock (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Buttrock&defid=2825906)
1)A term to identify a band trademarked with cheap, unoriginal song lyrics; the vocalist hiding his lack of vocal talent by producing a deep and 'raspy' voice (i.e. Nickelback, Creed).

2)A term to identify any song composed by a buttrock band or any individual song which possesses buttrock qualities (see def. 1)

3) A term to identify anything, absract or concrete, that is distasteful, poorly concieved or overtly offensive.
1)Dude 1: Don't tell anyone but Lips of an Angel is my favorite song.
Dude 2: Friggin' A dawg! You're a closet buttrock fan!

3) Why is that guy wearing all real-tree camoflauge in the middle of downtown? That is so buttrock!
3a) Your sense of humor is buttrock.
by Mason S. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Mason+S.) January 30, 2008

dragonkal
03-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Man, I'd enjoy this thread so much more if it was about speculation over the tour vs. whose musical preferences are "right."

Some people love things other people hate. Some people hate things other people love.

Who cares? It's individual taste.

It's not like using the magic "suck" word will suddenly convince fans they were wrong all along and the music they've loved all this time suddenly conforms to your personal worldview.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 04:12 PM
NIN has never toured with anything that resembles "butt rock," unless there was a Winger/NIN tour I am unaware of.

tricil
03-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Proof of an Atlanta date: http://www.boxofficehero.com/boh-event/414736-nine-inch-nails-atlanta-ga-08-08-2014-tickets

I predict a Superunknown/The Downward Spiral tour personally. I don't think Webster hall / palladium will have been the only two performances.

FULLMETAL
03-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Proof of an Atlanta date: http://www.boxofficehero.com/boh-event/414736-nine-inch-nails-atlanta-ga-08-08-2014-tickets

I wouldn't say that site is proof as they're a ticket re-seller, but it is disturbing that they even have information before an official announcement. This just reeks of scalpers having an inside edge.

Kid Charlemagne
03-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Some of you really need to lighten the fuck up. Don't like the opener? Grab a fucking beer or a shirt. I've sat through some bad NIN openers (Ghostland Observatory and Dresden Dolls) that absolutely sucked, but I didn't care, I had a good time regardless. I love NIN and I hated Hesitation Marks, I still ended up having a good time at the Tension tour. I happen to like Soundgarden and saw them in Chicago in 2010 when the reunion was fresh and enjoyed them immensely. I know they're not for everyone, but Jesus, this isn't fucking Macklemore opening up. From a business standpoint, it probably makes sense for both bands to split costs on a larger production and Trent and the boys in the SG camp probably have dome cool things in store. Let it happen, don't be an asshole to anyone enjoying Soundgarden around you, because I'm sure it'll still be a killer show for NIN, and that's the main reason we're here, right?

richardp
03-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Are you calling Soundgarden "butt-rock"?

100% yes I am.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 05:00 PM
100% yes I am.

Buttrock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QcgCSkExEI
Not Buttrock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rei5VFFtO8

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Gotta find some amusement parks on route to make the travel more fun. Rye Playland, Canobie, Lake Compounce...
I wish they still had concerts at Lake Compounce. It was super convenient for me. :(

gorast
03-08-2014, 05:06 PM
This thread became utterly hilarious really quickly.

Who cares if Soundgarden's there? NIN's coming back to the US, that's all I give a shit about.

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Having Soundgarden open up (or co-headline) with NIN is a major coup. I can't believe people would complain about that.

dtnd
03-08-2014, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't say that site is proof as they're a ticket re-seller, but it is disturbing that they even have information before an official announcement. This just reeks of scalpers having an inside edge.
they have the information because it appeared briefly on live nation (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:M36eW475XooJ:m.concerts.livenation. com/event/0E004C5A062590C9+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us), and the information was scraped by the reseller before it was pulled

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 05:20 PM
they have the information because it appeared briefly on live nation (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:M36eW475XooJ:m.concerts.livenation. com/event/0E004C5A062590C9+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us), and the information was scraped by the reseller before it was pulled
No news on the Masfield date?

dtnd
03-08-2014, 05:32 PM
No news on the Masfield date?
mansfield will be opened by this great band called the 495 bottleneck clusterfuck, and there will be an hour long post-show set by idling motor vehicles

GulDukat
03-08-2014, 05:34 PM
mansfield will be opened by this great band called the 495 bottleneck clusterfuck, and there will be an hour long post-show set by idling motor vehicles
I would much rather the show take place at the Banknorth Garden, oh well.

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 05:34 PM
They should really bury the hatchet with everyone Trent has had twitter beefs with and invite Biffy Clyro to open the show!

marodi
03-08-2014, 05:59 PM
It was only a few years ago that everyone was depressed at the idea that we would never see NIN live again. Now, there's whining about whom they tour with?

All I want is to see NIN live again. They can tour with Bozo the clown for all I care.

Krazy
03-08-2014, 06:04 PM
It was only a few years ago that everyone was depressed at the idea that we would never see NIN live again. Now, there's whining about whom they tour with?

All I want is to see NIN live again. They can tour with Bozo the clown for all I care.

That'd pretty damn awesome if Bozo joined the Jim Rose Circus. Whoever wouldn't enjoy that has a black heart made of coal.

billpulsipher
03-08-2014, 06:19 PM
no opening band and NIN playing for 2, 2 and a half hours a night, as opposed to touring with a generic rock band, paying high ticket prices, and seeing an 85 minute show because the co-headlining band also has to play their 85 minute sets. I prefer option one

Kid Charlemagne
03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
no opening band and NIN playing for 2, 2 and a half hours a night, as opposed to touring with a generic rock band, paying high ticket prices, and seeing an 85 minute show because the co-headlining band also has to play their 85 minute sets. I prefer option one

How about you just don't go to the fucking show, better yet, get the fuck out of here while you're at it.

thom25
03-08-2014, 06:41 PM
That's a little harsh Kid, since I agree with Bill. I'd much rather see a longer NIN set regardless of the circumstances. I think the double billing is a very good match and looking forward to seeing NIN and Soundgarden together, assuming SG plays their hits. Half the arena walked out of Bowie because he didn't, when they co-billed here in Boston.

Melissa A. Veal
03-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Even though I'm sure that this speculation is correct, I'm not gonna get my hopes up until NIN officially confirms it. With that being said, if they do tour with Soundgarden, I will crap my pants. Soundgarden is on my bucket list. In the past I was hoping for them to tour. In the back of my head, I knew Trent wouldn't do this. I sit here anxiously waiting. I hope some dates are added as well. Hopefully this week??? Monday??? please god. The tension is killing me (literally).

Charmingly Miserable
03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
This is just a dream come true for me. My two favorite bands touring together. I could really see SG playing first and then NIN really pummeling the audience. So stoked for this. I wonder who is gonna replace Matt Cameron on drums?

Melissa A. Veal
03-08-2014, 06:46 PM
I can't believe people are bitching about this. I guess you can't please the whole fanbase. I bet you it is the same people who bitched about Jane's touring with them. You should be glad NIN is touring. I'm sure Trent is exhausted. :p

Melissa A. Veal
03-08-2014, 06:48 PM
I hope they add more dates than the speculation dates. NC date please? I know they did at the last minute on the last leg. I thought I was going to have to go to ATL, but then they added more dates. :)

HurtinMinorKey
03-08-2014, 06:49 PM
All those bands/musicians have little to no effect on ticket sales. SG will which is the point of trying to fill 20,000 seats.

And this is what really pisses me off. It's not about the art, or the music, or the show, it's about what type of PRODUCT they can bundle together to maximize profits.

Kid Charlemagne
03-08-2014, 06:49 PM
That's a little harsh Kid, since I agree with Bill. I'd much rather see a longer NIN set regardless of the circumstances. I think the double billing is a very good match and looking forward to seeing NIN and Soundgarden together, assuming SG plays their hits. Half the arena walked out of Bowie because he didn't, when they co-billed here in Boston.

Harsh? Are you not familiar with billpulsipher?

It isn't like this is the last time NIN will tour. Hell, we still don't even know if this is a coheadlining tour, for all we know NIN could getting a full show with SG playing an abridged set to the tune of 75 minutes. It's purely speculation at this point. If this were like the NIN/QOTSA shows where they flip a coin and share time, that would be one thing, but I hardly doubt that. I'm sure both bands have a huge overlapping fanbase which this is geared towards, as well as their respective die hard crews. I applaud Trent for trying something new, and I'm sure 75% of the crowd will eat it up, taking in account that a small percentage of people who classify themselves as NIN fans are represented on message boards.

Melissa A. Veal
03-08-2014, 06:57 PM
damn. I hope this date is wrong. (In regards to the ATL show listing on box office hero). I need a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday show. Unless they add a NC date.