PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Well figured I would restart a thread for these guys since the new album will be out this Tuesday! Hats off to the Bull is the name of the new album and all I have to say is it is their best material to date. Guitar solos, harmonies, organs, talk boxes and such have been used so they have stepped outside of their element just enough to show how much their maturity comes out in these songs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Hatsofftothebull.png

1. Face to the Floor
2. Same Old Trip
3. Ruse
4. The Meddler
5. Pińata
6. Envy
7. Hats off to the Bull
8. Arise
9. Revenge
10. Prima Donna
11. Clones
12. Indifference (Itunes bonus track)
13. Glimpse of the Con (Best Buy bonus track)

I recommend listening to Ruse, The Meddler, and Envy if you don't want to go through it in order.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 03:08 AM
agreed. this band is the best youre gonna get with safe radio rock nowadays.

scotty79
12-03-2011, 03:36 AM
is there a decent rip of this available yet?, only one I've found is a 128kb rip and was a pretty small file size so no doubt not that great a quality

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-03-2011, 12:46 PM
There is a rip out there for 320... I'lll have to send it to you when I get a chance. From Chevelleonline.net :)

scotty79
12-03-2011, 04:54 PM
that would be great, just had my hard drive replaced and having to rip all
my cd's again and download everythin else that I've lost so every little bit helps lol

Malechite
12-03-2011, 04:56 PM
I enjoy some Chevelle... seen them 2 or 3 times in concert, they always put on a great show. I listened to the new album but it just sounded like the same old Chevelle to me, so nothing really jumped out at me on the first listen.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-04-2011, 11:14 PM
^^ Yea man, give it another listen through. Envy and Pinata defintely show a newer side to their sound. I would say Revenge is very Toolesque in my opinion. Plus, Pete is playing the bassline in that song ;)

Ripe(withdecay)
12-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Just recently got into Chevelle like a month ago. A really good band that should get more recognition.

think i'm a fire engine
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
They get quite a bit of recognition. How many bands do you like that get as much radioplay.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Just recently got into Chevelle like a month ago. A really good band that should get more recognition.

Good time to get into them with the new album and all ;) And you are right on the recognition part. They are popular and get radio play, but only with their singles. Every time I bring them up in a conversation, people are like "O those are the guys that wrote Send the Pain Below and The Red right?" Ugh I just want to hand plant my face when people say that. But I digress. And the Tool references need to finally stop with these guys IMO.

I'm seeing them in February and cannot wait to hear the new material live.

Interesting interview: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/chevelle_it_is_in_our_human_nature_to_steal_things _like_music.html

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-13-2012, 05:33 PM
New single!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpbmXjH8WE

Reznor2112
02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
New single!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpbmXjH8WE

(deleted post) read your post wrong.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
New song called "Fizgig" off of their greatest hits album. Loving the 90's crunching riff in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WuVBpNR8Uyk

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Soo, the guys are in the studio making a new record and I was really surprised to hear some synth in this preview. Really intrigued what they have up their sleeves this time around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYq8Cophzo

spiralout
09-22-2013, 09:36 PM
That clip sounds great. I think these guys get better with every album, Hats Off to the Bull being my favorite. Definitely looking forward to new music from them.

MONKEYlovesYOU
09-23-2013, 12:06 AM
"You're rebirth can't hurt" - Closure

Family System fucken rocks as well

"I'm tired of your open mouth crawling inside my skin..." one of the best opening lines

Great band, Seen em a bunch live, was kinda underwhelmed by their live shows, although their studio work is great

This Type of Thinking is one of my all time favorite albums as well as Point #1

Point #1 I feel gets no fucken love

Dos is a great

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
That clip sounds great. I think these guys get better with every album, Hats Off to the Bull being my favorite. Definitely looking forward to new music from them.

I agree. HOTTB showed them branching off a little bit from what they're usually used to playing, but there are some real gems on that album. "Revenge", "Envy, and "Indifference" are my favorites from the bull era. I'd like to see them carry some of what they did on the previous album and mix that with what they are going to be doing this time around. Cannot wait for another update!

MONKEYlovesYOU
09-23-2013, 01:23 PM
I personally felt like HOTTB was Sci Fi Crimes Part Duex. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and am a big fan of chevelle period. I like all their albums and don't think they have put out anything bad. Ive seen em a bunch of times and would see them again in a heart beat.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Some studio updates from the guys:

http://loudwire.com/chevelle-hit-studio-to-work-on-new-album-offer-video-teaser/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152080605231131&set=vb.14740026130&t ype=2&theater

spiralout
02-01-2014, 07:43 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/150292_10152155971576131_1836612234_n.jpg

aggroculture
02-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I don't know what to think about Chevelle.
They're a Tool rip-off band and they're shitty live. But damn have they written some great tunes, especially on This Type of Thinking...

spiralout
02-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I can definitely hear the Tool influence, especially in their earlier stuff. But shitty live? I've seen them twice and both times they were far from it. Anyway, new single:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYV5VKz_U9U

Digging it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't know what to think about Chevelle.
They're a Tool rip-off band and they're shitty live. But damn have they written some great tunes, especially on This Type of Thinking...

A Tool ripoff band?? There is a difference between being a "Ripoff band", and being "Influenced".. but I know I don't have to explain that to you Aggro.. Chevelle is Chevelle.. Not only are they probably one of the only consistent heavy rock bands out there, they are still relevant to the music community and Tool hasn't done anything relevant since 2006. They had that Tool comparison on Point#1, and Wonder What's Next days.. but mostly for how Pete and Maynard's vocals sounded much alike with their deliveries. They have their own sound, and continue to make solid, rock records.

As far as their live shows?? I have seen them 4 times and they have been nothing but solid and energetic.. that's just me though. The single is a very nice surprise and everything I was looking for in a Chevelle single. Hard hitting, great lyrics, and some good old fashion raw Chevelle screams and different little side on the guitars as well. Cannot wait to hear all of "La Gargola".

kel
02-04-2014, 12:41 AM
i don't know anything about this band other than they make me pause before changing the alt-rock station. i like them and have thought many times of trying out a full record.

aggroculture
02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Chevelle is a bit like Sevendust: a second-tier band from the nu-metal era, not quite nu-metal, that seems to have a devoted core fanbase, but doesn't really break out of its niche. I would say Chevelle have never been "relevant" in a way that say, Staind have: Staind had their moment in the mainstream spotlight, but Chevelle have always seemed to be a little in the background. They have talent, but the derivative nature of their sound smothers their songwriting a bit. Sometimes they really hit the spot with me (such as in Jars, below). But for cultural and musical impact putting them above Tool is wrong. Tool have never really left the spotlight, Chevelle have never really been in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeHSC-kwlk

buckaroo
02-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Chevelle is a bit like Sevendust: a second-tier band from the nu-metal era, not quite nu-metal, that seems to have a devoted core fanbase, but doesn't really break out of its niche. I would say Chevelle have never been "relevant" in a way that say, Staind have: Staind had their moment in the mainstream spotlight, but Chevelle have always seemed to be a little in the background. They have talent, but the derivative nature of their sound smothers their songwriting a bit. Sometimes they really hit the spot with me (such as in Jars, below). But for cultural and musical impact putting them above Tool is wrong. Tool have never really left the spotlight, Chevelle have never really been in it.

i would agree with this. i think chevelle never really reached the popularity/relevance that they probably deserve (in the rock or pop rock realm). there is nothing really special about them, but they make solid rock records. i wouldn't call them nu-metal as i don't find them overly heavy and they don't rap. they also are more interesting to listen to in my opinion. i would put them in a similar category as the deftones. as far as the tool references go i don't really get it. there is a slight similarity in sound, but it isn't really that noticeable. someone mentioned before that it really just sounds like a band that likes tool. when i think of a band that sounds like tool i think of soen. these days i listen to chevelle much more than i listen to tool. however, i rarely put on a chevelle album to really "listen" to it, but i put it on while driving quite a bit.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-04-2014, 06:02 PM

I hear what you are saying... but Sevendust is a heavy/ballad band to me. Yea, Lajon has a great voice.. but I cannot stand the cheesy lyrics, or love ballads from a band like them or even sounds like them. For me, Chevelle separates themselves from the rest of the bunch because I think they are a lot more talented than the crap that comes out these days especially in the Hard Rock scene. They were in the spotlight for a good amount when "Wonder What's Next", and "This Type Of Thinking" came out... they have always been in the spotlight, but like you said in the background. That's also what I like about Pete.. his lyrics can be deep, metaphoric, and he doesn't whine about relationships and how much he is a "Hollywood Star" like some "Hard Rock" bands.. (Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, etc...). His lyrics make you think, and even look up a word or two in the dictionary.

For me, I put them above Tool personally.. and I am not being biased.. I always found Tool to become old, and boring music. They have only been relevant recently because of Maynard and their devoted fan base..not musically. Not hearing anything from the band at all since 2006, Chevelle has released almost 4 records since then all which have reached gold status... it becomes more than just quality of music for me. Tool are a bunch of dicks, everyone knows that. But when a band like Chevelle is so personable with their fans, and makes consistent.. solid hard rock music.. they deserve a bit more here like many, many people and fans say and deserve to stop being compared to freaking Tool, or being labeled as a "Rip Off Band".

......And Jars?? One of their best songs ;)

kel
02-05-2014, 01:14 AM
i watched a couple youtube vids of them live. so underwhelming. semi-new songs with a vinyl sheet background? what was that, battle of the bands in schenectady? then read a bit about their christian rock background. gag.

kthx, but nevermind.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-05-2014, 02:27 AM
i watched a couple youtube vids of them live. so underwhelming. semi-new songs with a vinyl sheet background? what was that, battle of the bands in schenectady? then read a bit about their christian rock background. gag.

kthx, but nevermind.

They were never christian rock... they were just signed to a label that was and people assumed. Pete, and especially the bands drummer Sam, has clarified this several times.

Ripe(withdecay)
02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
I personally love the new song. The best thing about Chevelle is that they always sound like Chevelle. Can't wait for the new album!

Krazy
02-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Out of all the bands I even somewhat like and have seen, Chevelle is the worst live- and did it twice just to make sure it wasn't a one-time thing since everyone's got bad days and what not. They're awful and wouldn't see them again for free. Horrible HORRIBLE fucking drummer. (All the people I was with agreed, and the crowds were definitely not enthusiastic)

Gotta disagree with the Tool rip-off band though. Similar voice but that's about it.

Reznor2112
02-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Love the new single…and I agree. They are not Tool ripoffs, influenced.

And the band is even sick of this stereotype according to their song "Clones"

Amaro
02-06-2014, 11:49 AM
People talk about Tool/Maynard, musically I hear more Deftones.

I used to listen to the debut Chevelle back when I was younger... Very accessible sound, from what I know/remember. Anymore it's too angsty and would recall bad times for me.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-06-2014, 03:36 PM
People talk about Tool/Maynard, musically I hear more Deftones.

I used to listen to the debut Chevelle back when I was younger... Very accessible sound, from what I know/remember. Anymore it's too angsty and would recall bad times for me.

Totally agree with this. Most of their catalog is dark/heavy/moody music but that is what I prefer usually. They lightened up a bit on Sci-Fi Crimes but they still have that Chevelle sound that everyone discovered back in 2002. Give "Vena Sera" and "Hats of to the Bull" a spin or two.. some great gems on those albums.

And the band is even sick of this stereotype according to their song "Clones"

I was wishing they would release this song as a single, but it never happened :( Probably my favorite closer out of all their albums.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-27-2014, 01:10 PM
http://www.theprp.com/wp-content/uploads/chevellelagarg.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhRSeNJCQAAsURl.png

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Hunter Eats Hunter has leaked.. Chevelle is back to rare form. Everything I have been waiting for in a Chevelle song since Wonder What's Next. PM me for a link ;)

Ripe(withdecay)
03-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Hunter Eats Hunter is quite awesome. Just listened to it on YouTube. I want this album to be in the same realm as This Type of Thinking.

Reznor2112
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Only $12.99 for the LE CD.
http://getmorechevelle.com/cover/coverimage.png

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-18-2014, 03:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHZ6yVPRpU

spiralout
03-19-2014, 02:52 PM
^^^Heaviness!! If these two songs are any indication on how the whole album will sound, we're in for a treat. Pre-ordered my LE album.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-19-2014, 06:17 PM
^^^Heaviness!! If these two songs are any indication on how the whole album will sound, we're in for a treat. Pre-ordered my LE album.

As did I about a month ago :). My friend actually sent me the link before it was up on the tube and I was on my way home from a horrible day of work.. this song instantly put me in a good mood. This album has the leak like... now.

scotty79
03-25-2014, 06:23 AM
According to has it leaked, it has, will check this out when I get home

Reznor2112
03-25-2014, 08:33 AM
According to has it leaked, it has, will check this out when I get home
DAAAAAAAMNNNNNN!!!!

They got quite heavier on this album. Them some angry boys on this album hahaha Fucking fantastic record! I LOVED HOTTB but this puts the last 2 albums on their asses.

Reznor2112
03-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Sorry for the double post but the guitar riff in Jawbreaker is a COMPLETE ripoff of a NIN/TR song. I just can't figure out which one.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Just heard Ouija Board.... holy hell heavier than I was expecting from the guys. This fucking rocks.

Reznor2112
03-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Just heard Ouija Board.... holy hell heavier than I was expecting from the guys. This fucking rocks.

Maybe you can tell me where the riff on Jawbreaker came from. I know I've heard that in a NIN or TR related track.

Maybe the last 40 secs of Head Down?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Maybe you can tell me where the riff on Jawbreaker came from. I know I've heard that in a NIN or TR related track.

Maybe the last 40 secs of Head Down?

I can't put my finger on it... but I def hear some influence in there. I need a couple more listens.

Deepvoid
03-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Listening to it right now. Starts off with a bang. Damn! Ouija board is awesome.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Choking Game is probably my favorite right now... it just rocks your head off. Twinge is a very nice way to end the album as well.. like most Chevelle albums that end off with a slow one or an acoustic track.

Deepvoid
03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Very good album. I'm gonna have to give it a couple more spins to fully appreciate it but my first one was an enjoyable one.

Reznor2112
03-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Choking Game is probably my favorite right now...

I listened to that 4 times on the way to work. AMAZING song. Still trying to figure out the Jawbreaker riff. Maybe it isn't a TR track but maybe from a soundtrack??

Not sure, but I do love how Pete uses 4 or 5 different vocal styles throughout the song.

spiralout
03-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Just finished my first listen....heavy, dark, angry, definitely a departure from their past albums. They seemed to move away from conventional song structures a bit. Choking Game was a stand out for me. I need to listen to this again.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-26-2014, 05:47 PM
I listened to that 4 times on the way to work. AMAZING song. Still trying to figure out the Jawbreaker riff. Maybe it isn't a TR track but maybe from a soundtrack??

Not sure, but I do love how Pete uses 4 or 5 different vocal styles throughout the song.

To be honest, I just hear some NIN influences throughout the album.. Jawbreaker kind of reminds me of The Hand That Feeds a bit. It's just a very different approach from Chevelle. Sometimes I had to really think it was them I was listening to in some songs. Twinge sounds like a song that could have come off of This Type Of Thinking, and Choking Game sounds like two different songs at one point. Listening to this with headphones is the way to go though.

wight rabbit
03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Damn! This may certainly be the heaviest thing they've done since Vena Sera. I liked the direction of "Take Out the Gunman" when I first heard it, but felt like it was barely touching the surface. I feel the rest of the album goes all in save for the typical mellow track or two you tend to get on a Chevelle album. I saw a commenter on a review of the album claim this as a more mature Wonder What's Next — I can totally stand behind that claim.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Damn! This may certainly be the heaviest thing they've done since Vena Sera. I liked the direction of "Take Out the Gunman" when I first heard it, but felt like it was barely touching the surface. I feel the rest of the album goes all in save for the typical mellow track or two you tend to get on a Chevelle album. I saw a commenter on a review of the album claim this as a more mature Wonder What's Next — I can totally stand behind that claim.

For the mellow tracks, Twinge is probably the best one they have done... it's haunting, creepy, and makes you think (At least for me). But as for the claim of a mature WWN.. that seems to be the census going around recently, and on the chevelleonline forums. Ouija Board and An Island I cannot seem to get past sometimes because of repeated listens.

wight rabbit
03-28-2014, 09:59 PM
I definitely didn't dislike "Twinge." I also understand some of the claims people have made about it being kind of Deftones-y. I look forward to listening to this all the way through without iTunes Radio reminding me that I'm listening to the album. "Fuck off! I know I'm listening..."

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-29-2014, 02:27 PM
I definitely didn't dislike "Twinge." I also understand some of the claims people have made about it being kind of Deftones-y. I look forward to listening to this all the way through without iTunes Radio reminding me that I'm listening to the album. "Fuck off! I know I'm listening..."

Yea, the itunes streams are soooo annoying. I know there is a legit 320 leak out there so try looking for that bad boy. I personally don't see the Deftones comparison.. Maybe on some tracks and some moments, but I hear some NIN influences here and there too.

wight rabbit
03-29-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm talking specifically on "Twinge." Listen to one of the mellower tracks on Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan​ and then listen to "Twinge." Maybe I'm just hearing it differently?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-30-2014, 02:58 AM
I'm talking specifically on "Twinge." Listen to one of the mellower tracks on Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan​ and then listen to "Twinge." Maybe I'm just hearing it differently?

Oohhhh ok man... I didn't know you were talking about that track specifically. I DEF hear some Deftones influence in there for sure.. I would say no older than the S/T, to the albums you mentioned. What I also like about it is it still has that Chevelle vibe as well. I always thought they did such a good job on the creepy/slower songs. It reminds me of This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In which is not only one of my favorite album titles ever, but my favorite Chevelle album next to La Gargola. What do you think of Hunter Eats Hunter??? I think it is one of the more stronger songs on the album.

wight rabbit
03-30-2014, 01:18 PM
"Hunter Eats Hunter" isn't one of my favorites on the album. Maybe a few more listens could do something for me, but right now I will say "I don't hate it."

ZeroSum
03-31-2014, 02:11 AM
I'm glad this band finally decided to get a little weird. I mean, they've always been a little darker than their peers, but it finally sounds like they're willing to push some boundaries, and they sound damn good doing so. To me it sounds like they're finally cashing in on their potential. This is more than the typical Chevelle record.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Yea, they started with the weirdness around the SFC days, but this is what I've been waiting for for so long.

spiralout
03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
The weirdness is a good thing. I finally had some time to sit down with this album and some good headphones. It rocks so hard. The experiments with different styles and general creepy vibe of the album really work. The absence of soaring choruses and catchy melodies was a little shocking on my first listen. But after being able to digest it I don't think it makes the songs any less powerful. An Island is a monster, as is Ouija Board and Choking Game. One Ocean and Twinge area very good slower songs as well.

Chevelle have been very consistent with their albums and their decision to branch out and change it up a bit is respectable. I can't wait to see what these songs sound like live.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-31-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm actually planning to pick this album up today, based on all the positive feedback awarded it here and elsewhere on the internet. I think the last Chevelle album I actually paid for was Vena Sera back in 2007. I still enjoy that one; Saferwaters and I Get It are excellent songs.

I'm excited to hear how weird Chevelle gets on this one..

If anything, it is their heaviest and most power driven album since VS. The album is just very fresh with it's sound.. and it's been years since Chevelle was this angry :).

wight rabbit
04-01-2014, 07:38 PM
I bought the CD today on my way to my internship and was pleasantly surprised to hear track segues. The copy I had been listening to had each track end naturally before the next track. It helps to make it sound more like an album rather than a compilation.

wight rabbit
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Damn it, I've burnt myself out on the album.

spiralout
04-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Damn it, I've burnt myself out on the album.

I'm getting there.

La Gargola is looking to debut at #3 on the Billboard 200. They deserve it. Hell of an album.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Yea, I had to give it a rest for about a week since my go to music in my car was La Gargola every time. #3 is HUGE on the top 200. Not to mention.. the #1 single in the country right now.

perceptionnexus
04-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Damn solid album, I love the rawness of the guitars, little bits of feedback and noise, and that they didn't try and make things so polished. Also glad they've put a couple ballad-y type songs on, felt like they were missing that on the last couple records. When HOTTB came out, I was in shock that Glimpse of the Con was given "bonus track" status. At least it was on the CD though I guess.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Damn solid album, I love the rawness of the guitars, little bits of feedback and noise, and that they didn't try and make things so polished. Also glad they've put a couple ballad-y type songs on, felt like they were missing that on the last couple records. When HOTTB came out, I was in shock that Glimpse of the Con was given "bonus track" status. At least it was on the CD though I guess.

Yea man.. they stopped using pro tools and that polished sound since Vena Sera. They used an old analog tape deck to record most of La Gargola :). Cannot stop listening to "An Island" and "Hunter Eats Hunter".

wight rabbit
04-11-2014, 02:00 PM
"Ouija Board" and "An Island" were in heaviest rotation for me.

spiralout
04-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Man, that part in An Island, "Force you to GO!"....gets me every time.

Choking Game is currently my favorite. The last half of that song rocks so hard.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-12-2014, 03:43 AM
Man, that part in An Island, "Force you to GO!"....gets me every time.

Choking Game is currently my favorite. The last half of that song rocks so hard.

Literally one, if not my favorite moment on the album. When he hits the riff the third time and adds that distortion.... it's probably one of the heaviest riffs I've heard in a long time; it is the epitome of a musical explosion :D.

And yes.... Choking Game is one of the best. I love how it sounds like two different songs once the end comes in.

wight rabbit
04-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Literally one, if not my favorite moment on the album. When he hits the riff the third time and adds that distortion.... it's probably one of the heaviest riffs I've heard in a long time; it is the epitome of a musical explosion :D.

And yes.... Choking Game is one of the best. I love how it sounds like two different songs once the end comes in.

Although not my favorite track, one of my favorite moments is when Pete holds a scream near the end of "Hunter Eats Hunter" and you can hear his voice strain a bit. Every time I hear that I get chills because of how raw, yet powerful that sounds.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Although not my favorite track, one of my favorite moments is when Pete holds a scream near the end of "Hunter Eats Hunter" and you can hear his voice strain a bit. Every time I hear that I get chills because of how raw, yet powerful that sounds.

Yes.. you really have to listen to this album with headphones or a good system because there is so much going on in the background you cannot hear. Hunter Eats Hunter I believe is the best song on the album.. but yes, the rawness of this album and his voice really packs a punch this time around. Wish there were bonus tracks :(.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-17-2014, 12:59 AM
Very cool to hear that La Gargola hit number 3 on the billboard top 200. It stayed at #1 for hard rock, alternative, and top rock albums for 3 weeks against some stiff competition. Just glad to see the guys are back to form with all the crap that is on the radio these days.. just my opinion.

Seems like Hunter Eats Hunter will be the next single off the album. The downside is it will be cut short for a radio edit so I hope they don't butcher it.

spiralout
05-13-2016, 02:02 PM
New single: Joyride (Omen)....digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmUJF6Z9tEo

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Damm, you beat me to it. This single is miles away from what they did on La Gargola, even though that album was pretty rad. Cannot wait to see them this August and see what's in store for the new album. Very strong here.

spiralout
05-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Agreed, I loved La Gargola but this is a much stronger lead single than Take out the Gunman. I attempted to pre order the new album last night but their servers crashed due to heavy traffic. I was finally able to pick up the CD/vinyl after about three hours.

Deepvoid
05-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Awesome song! I had been waiting for this and it did not disappoint.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Agreed, I loved La Gargola but this is a much stronger lead single than Take out the Gunman. I attempted to pre order the new album last night but their servers crashed due to heavy traffic. I was finally able to pick up the CD/vinyl after about three hours.

Same here! Cool that they issued a vinyl package this time around. I ordered pretty early, so hopefully I get an autographed copy.

bobbie solo
05-14-2016, 01:41 AM
great song. VERY Tool-ish at times (so what else is new though right?). One of the best & most consistent radio hard rock bands out there.

Space Suicide
05-14-2016, 11:17 AM
great song. VERY Tool-ish at times (so what is new though right?). One of the best & most consistent radio hard rock bands out there.

I always think Tool on Sci-fi Crimes and Jars.

New song is also good.

spiralout
05-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Same here! Cool that they issued a vinyl package this time around. I ordered pretty early, so hopefully I get an autographed copy.

Turns out due to the site crash, the band will be signing all pre-ordered albums (CD and Vinyl)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Turns out due to the site crash, the band will be signing all pre-ordered albums (CD and Vinyl)

Yesss, just read that. They are pretty hands on with their fans which is pretty awesome. I feel like the special edition cover would have been just fine without the little boy on it. I believe the little boy is Sams son believe it or not :P.

wight rabbit
06-03-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm a little late with this question, but are there two different versions of La Gárgola? The copy I have on CD has segues between tracks, but I also have a FLAC copy on an external drive with full endings to each song. When I was still subscribed to TIDAL, they had the non-sequenced version uploaded. I just found it fascinating that both exist, and was curious if this was intentional or not.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-01-2016, 07:12 PM
I'm a little late with this question, but are there two different versions of La Gárgola? The copy I have on CD has segues between tracks, but I also have a FLAC copy on an external drive with full endings to each song. When I was still subscribed to TIDAL, they had the non-sequenced version uploaded. I just found it fascinating that both exist, and was curious if this was intentional or not.

There are two different versions, but I believe it wasn't really announced. It was intentional, but it wasn't really brought to light. Awesome that you realized this. On the other hand, here are two more songs released as of late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QW0tYd4n5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uTrXBQ3k2I

GulDukat
07-01-2016, 07:23 PM
When Chevelle go out on tour with Bush this summer, does anyone know who goes on first? When they toured in 2011, Bush closed the show, at least the one I went to.

spiralout
07-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Judging by the songs released so far, this is shaping up to be their heaviest album yet. But I don't think heavier necessarily means better. I'm hoping this album doesn't end up being completley loud, screaming and in your face because I really think Pete is great at writing hooks and melodies. I dig Joyride and Rivers....Young Wicked still has yet to really grow on me.

With that being said I'm still very much hyped for this album.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-02-2016, 02:08 PM
I hear that, but I feel he has been taking the melody approach for awhile now. He said in an interview with billboard that he knew right away how he wanted the new album to sound which was heavy heavy. I think they needed to get this out of their system before they start experimenting some new sounds again. Plus, the fans have been asking for it.

wight rabbit
07-06-2016, 02:16 AM
Is it Friday yet? I've been refraining from listening to the two other songs so I can have only one song spoiled for me on the first listen. From what previous comments suggest, this might end up being my favorite Chevelle album next to, or in place of, Vena Sera.

spiralout
07-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Is it Friday yet? I've been refraining from listening to the two other songs so I can have only one song spoiled for me on the first listen. From what previous comments suggest, this might end up being my favorite Chevelle album next to, or in place of, Vena Sera.

I know.....I got real excited when I saw in my inbox that my package has been shipped. Friday can't come soon enough.

wight rabbit
07-07-2016, 02:25 PM
https://scontent.fsnc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13615519_10154252922832822_2814898041193042179_n.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=4d851b475bd7fb93a069657615f10b02&oe=582E3493

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-07-2016, 05:10 PM
https://scontent.fsnc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13615519_10154252922832822_2814898041193042179_n.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=4d851b475bd7fb93a069657615f10b02&oe=582E3493

Niceee, you got the vinyl. I passed on it, but ordered pretty early and mine still didn't come :(. The album however is fucking tits. Punchline and Last Days are fantastic. Plus, it's odd seeing a Chevelle track over 8 minutes.

wight rabbit
07-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Niceee, you got the vinyl. I passed on it, but ordered pretty early and mine still didn't come :(. The album however is fucking tits. Punchline and Last Days are fantastic. Plus, it's odd seeing a Chevelle track over 8 minutes.

I got the vinyl and CD for Gore, too. I think it was more worth it in this case, though, because I get a bonus track with the CD, a different cover (which I prefer over the standard) on the vinyl, and then autographs on both (I've never been much for those, but it's still pretty cool they signed everything). I've only listened once so far, but I remember really enjoying "Punchline," too. At times, the music reminded me of something that could have been on The Fragile. One thing I'm disappointed in is the mastering. Much like Gore, the whole album clips so much. I wish this loudness war bullshit would just end.

I was one of the early ones, too, but I ordered with 2-day shipping. That's probably why I got it a day early.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-07-2016, 08:18 PM
I didn't find the mastering to be all that bad, even though there are so many guitar layers that are drowned out by it unless using headphones. I get really frustrated with listening to Gore because I found the mastering to be awful to where it is unlistenable at times. This brings me back to Thursday albums where the instruments were so drowned out, the terrific guitars were so hard to hear. This album crunches.

wight rabbit
07-07-2016, 08:29 PM
Well, I noticed it the most on the intro of "Door to Door Cannibals." Maybe I'm just confusing it with the distortion on the guitar, but my Mackie MR8s shouldn't make it sound that harsh. It got better as the album went on, but then it also started to sound a bit too "flat." Sonically, it reminds me of the darker and heavy parts of Wonder What's Next and Vena Cera mixed with the raw rock sound of Hats off to the Bull. Maybe I'm being too critical for having only listened once, and it'll get better with more listens.

Update: Listening again now. It's definitely not as bad as Gore, but I think this could have sounded even better with a larger dynamic range.

spiralout
07-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Two listens in, once on vinyl last night and once during work today. I don't want to be a bummer but so far it has not connected with me. This is definitely an "experimental" album of sorts and maybe that's why it hasn't clicked yet. Enemies is a stand out so far.....gonna give this one a few more spins and see what happens.

(Found my name on the shirt!)

wight rabbit
07-08-2016, 06:43 PM
I feel it definitely gets better with additional listens. Although, I think these may be the weirdest lyrics Pete's ever written. I was typing them into iTunes before putting the album on my iPod, and read a few lines and thought, "What the hell?" I feel like he took a cue from Gavin Rossdale on this album and did a lot of freeflow lyric writing. Fitting considering they will be going on tour together.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-09-2016, 08:05 AM
I always loved Pete's lyrics since they always came through as cryptic and very metaphoric. Who knew Hunter Eats Hunter was about one of them taking the garbage out, and being worried about a demon eating them? Pete doesn't like to talk about what his songs are about and I like that because it leaves the listener with even more interpretation.

The album is definitely a grower. I listened to the entire album on my way to work and it felt like it was just Chevelle going through the motions, but dam... it didn't take long until I was headbanging to every song. The album slows down perfect with Punchline which is a standout track for me, and the bridge in Last Days just shreds. Listen to that part with headphones, there is so much going on instrumentally it is almost overwhelming.

wight rabbit
07-09-2016, 02:28 PM
I keep getting "Door to Door Cannibals" stuck in my head. I'll be listening to the album for the first time in my car today. So far, I've listened on my computer through my Mackie MR8s and my iPod in Apple Lossless format with some stock Samsung headphones that came with my phone. Tomorrow, I will likely be listening to the vinyl on a pair of speakers my dad is going to give me now that I have a stereo receiver (I was previously plugging into an Mbox 2 Pro and playing it through a DAW).

wight rabbit
07-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Okay, the album underwhelmed me on first listen, but I'm happy to say it's completely grown on me and I'd say it's my favorite Chevelle album now.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Same exact thing happened to me as well. How did the vinyl sound? This is definitely my favorite album from them next to Sci-fi Crimes and This Type Of Thinking. TTOT brings me back to this specific time in my life when I was about 14, so the nostalgia takes over for it. Man, it really is hard to try and rank a Chevelle album but I'll try.

This Type Of Thinking
The North Corridor
Sci-fi Crimes
La Gargola
Vena Sera
Point #1
Wonder What's Next
Hats Off To The Bull

wight rabbit
07-10-2016, 12:54 PM
I haven't listened to the vinyl just yet. I plan on doing that later today, though, so I'll let you know.

The North Corridor
Vena Sera
Sci-Fi Crimes
Wonder What's Next
Hats Off to the Bull
This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)
La Gárgola
Point #1

That is hard!

Space Suicide
07-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Never ventured into this band outside of The Red (generic choice right?) and Sci-fi Crimes (thanks solely to Jars amazing radio playtime). I loved that album and have since release. maybe I should venture more into their catalog? Where to go? Is Sci-fi Crimes by itself in style or is there more like it? I always heard of La Gargola being a good and similar follow-up but I never listened.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Never ventured into this band outside of The Red (generic choice right?) and Sci-fi Crimes (thanks solely to Jars amazing radio playtime). I loved that album and have since releas.e maybe I should venture more into their catalog? Where to go? Is Sci-fi Crimes by itself in style or is there more like it? I always heard of La Gargola being a good and similar follow-up but I never listened.

I would say SFC is in a spot of itself, but LA Gargola and The North Corridor I found very similar in style and even Wonder What's Next. If I were you, I would just go in order from Point #1 and follow in order. You can get more of an idea of how their sound progressed throughout every album. This type of thinking could do us in is their most melodic, but SFC seems to be a mixture of everything they have done and more. It's really tough to point out a specific album to check out first since they are all solid fucking albums. Point #1 I would say is the most jarring since the production is very low and it has a more grungy, raw approach.

wight rabbit
07-10-2016, 10:35 PM
I always heard of La Gargola being a good and similar follow-up but I never listened.

La Gárgola isn't a terrible album, but I found that it was trying too hard to capture the Wonder What's Next sound and take it further. It's definitely heavier and a little bit darker than everything in between those two albums (WWN and LG), but I feel that The North Corridor does a much better job of balancing a dark and heavy sound without sounding forced. Given that the band went into the studio wanting to create something that they could enjoy playing live, I think it came out sounding much more natural. As for something similar to Sci-Fi Crimes, what, specifically, are you after sonically?

How did the vinyl sound?

It definitely doesn't clip as much as the CD does, but it does still have some moments where it does. Overall, though, I found it to be a lot more pleasant to my ears.

Space Suicide
07-11-2016, 05:31 PM
I would say SFC is in a spot of itself, but LA Gargola and The North Corridor I found very similar in style and even Wonder What's Next. If I were you, I would just go in order from Point #1 and follow in order. You can get more of an idea of how their sound progressed throughout every album. This type of thinking could do us in is their most melodic, but SFC seems to be a mixture of everything they have done and more. It's really tough to point out a specific album to check out first since they are all solid fucking albums. Point #1 I would say is the most jarring since the production is very low and it has a more grungy, raw approach.

I figured as such but I'll venture through and see what every album has to offer me. I Think I should enjoy there majority of their material but I just never really dove into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

La Gárgola isn't a terrible album, but I found that it was trying too hard to capture the Wonder What's Next sound and take it further. It's definitely heavier and a little bit darker than everything in between those two albums (WWN and LG), but I feel that The North Corridor does a much better job of balancing a dark and heavy sound without sounding forced. Given that the band went into the studio wanting to create something that they could enjoy playing live, I think it came out sounding much more natural. As for something similar to Sci-Fi Crimes, what, specifically, are you after sonically?

Hard for me to say and describe...I guess the themes and tone of the album couples with the unique sound on the album is what drove me towards it initially as well as now. Something with me just clicks, it has this sarcastic but genuine meaning to the songs and lyrics. I can't pinpoint it and those adjectives probably don't even make sense to use...haha. Halp?

wight rabbit
07-11-2016, 06:38 PM
Hard for me to say and describe...I guess the themes and tone of the album couples with the unique sound on the album is what drove me towards it initially as well as now. Something with me just clicks, it has this sarcastic but genuine meaning to the songs and lyrics. I can't pinpoint it and those adjectives probably don't even make sense to use...haha. Halp?

My immediate thought is Vena Sera. I think it set the tone for every album that followed, which was probably helped by it being the first album without Joe/first album with Dean.

Space Suicide
07-11-2016, 09:22 PM
My immediate thought is Vena Sera. I think it set the tone for every album that followed, which was probably helped by it being the first album without Joe/first album with Dean.

http://i.imgur.com/VZc6YTJ.png

wight rabbit
07-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Right on! Let me know what what you think of it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Vena Sera is so polished, but dam... If you're looking for a sonic album, that is where to start. The Fad and Humanoid are stellar tracks. It's funny with Chevelle. As soon as I rank the albums, I go back to Hats Off To The Bull and realize how much I love that album and the melodic songs on there. Revenge and Envy are freaking beautiful, but dam... Revenge is a tear jerker.

wight rabbit
07-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Vena Sera is so polished, but dam... If you're looking for a sonic album, that is where to start. The Fad and Humanoid are stellar tracks. It's funny with Chevelle. As soon as I rank the albums, I go back to Hats Off To The Bull and realize how much I love that album and the melodic songs on there. Revenge and Envy are freaking beautiful, but dam... Revenge is a tear jerker.

You know, I don't think I give Hats Off to the Bull enough credit. I was thinking about that one after I suggested Vena Sera and it might be a good album to go to after Sci-Fi Crimes.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
You know, I don't think I give Hats Off to the Bull enough credit. I was thinking about that one after I suggested Vena Sera and it might be a good album to go to after Sci-Fi Crimes.

If you wanna talk experimental, HOTTB is probably their most next to SCF.

spiralout
07-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Alright alright.....after letting this one marinate and after accepting this album for what it is, I really enjoy it. It's heavy, it's loud, it's intense....its another evolution of this band. They are not afraid to take chances and it really does pay off. Highlights include Door to Door Cannibals, Rivers, Warhols Showbiz and Got burned and I still find Joyride to be very enjoyable. Hoping to catch these guys live this for this album cycle, though I may need to think about bringing earplugs.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Alright alright.....after letting this one marinate and after accepting this album for what it is, I really enjoy it. It's heavy, it's loud, it's intense....its another evolution of this band. They are not afraid to take chances and it really does pay off. Highlights include Door to Door Cannibals, Rivers, Warhols Showbiz and Got burned and I still find Joyride to be very enjoyable. Hoping to catch these guys live this for this album cycle, though I may need to think about bringing earplugs.

I'm seeing them on the 2nd. Will be my sixth time and they bring their A game every time. They are going on tour with Disturbed and would love to see that as well. Have you heard "A Miracle"?? It doesn't really fit with the album, but dam... they always have the best bonus tracks.

spiralout
07-16-2016, 09:01 PM
I'm seeing them on the 2nd. Will be my sixth time and they bring their A game every time. They are going on tour with Disturbed and would love to see that as well. Have you heard "A Miracle"?? It doesn't really fit with the album, but dam... they always have the best bonus tracks.

Yes, A Miracle is great too. I was listening to an interview with Sam and he mentioned that A Miracle is a leftover from the La Gargola sessions....guess that explains why it doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of The North Corridor.

Let us know how these new songs translate live.....and I agree, seeing them with Disturbed and Nothing More would be a blast.

bobbie solo
07-16-2016, 11:06 PM
I would much prefer to see them how I am: with Bush in a few weeks. Disturbed is one of the worst and least talented bands I've ever seen. And Draiman's stage banter is more painful than Hetfield's.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-17-2016, 12:53 AM
I would much prefer to see them how I am: with Bush in a few weeks. Disturbed is one of the worst and least talented bands I've ever seen. And Draiman's stage banter is more painful than Hetfield's.

If I do attend the Disturbed tour, it is mostly to see Chevelle of course, with the exception of some nostalgia from Disturbed... but that is about it. I saw them at Mayhem Fest back in like 03' and he was pretty painful to listen to with his gigantic ego, but Dragonforce took the cake as one of the worst bands I have seen live. I saw them with Bush on the last tour they were on with them. Almost made the trip to go to New Jersey to see them, but they decided to come right on Long Island :D.

Space Suicide
07-17-2016, 01:47 PM
I dug the additional 2 albums I downloaded. I'd be interested to exploring more and I probably will be. I nearly bought the new album at the store on a whim along with La Gargola since they were both at a nice price but I didn't. Maybe I should?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-18-2016, 04:40 PM
I dug the additional 2 albums I downloaded. I'd be interested to exploring more and I probably will be. I nearly bought the new album at the store on a whim along with La Gargola since they were both at a nice price but I didn't. Maybe I should?

You deff should. The North Corridor is actually on sale on their offish website for only 8 bucks. Also cool to see them in the top ten on the billboard 200. Debuted at #8. I remember La Gargola Debuted at #3.

mrselfdestruct94
07-19-2016, 11:29 AM
After two weeks The North Corridor is finally growing on me. The first half of the album is solid, but with the exception of Punchline and Shot Through a Cannon the latter half of the album isn't doing it for me. As someone who was a huge fan of Hats Off to the Bull and considers La Gargola some of their best work, I'm a little letdown. There are elements from both of those albums here, but everything feels stripped down, and to me the lyrics are weaker than their past albums. I'm coming around to The North Corridor, but I think it's one of their weaker releases.

bobbie solo
07-19-2016, 01:40 PM
this album is GREAT. finally listening in full today. Some really heavy songs for them. Pumped to see them open for Bush...hope they get an hour (unlikely).

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-06-2020, 02:09 PM
FINALLY. Acoustic version for "Endlessly" premieres tonight!

https://youtu.be/xx1FQtDMUyg

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-06-2020, 07:09 PM
https://youtu.be/brmghPp7iOQ

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-08-2021, 10:33 AM
2021 just got a whole lot better. Pete's vocals never seize to amaze me, and sure as hell not used to seeing them as a duo after all these years, but they sound tighter than ever.

https://youtu.be/QhPn5EPGN4c

New album "Niratias" (Nothing is real, and this is a simulation) out March 5th.

https://knotfest.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Chevelle-NIRATIAS-Artwork.jpg

Archive_Reports
01-08-2021, 10:42 AM
Awesome track and Pete's one handsome motherfucker.

ickyvicky
01-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Were they always a two-piece band? I don't remember.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Were they always a two-piece band? I don't remember.

They have always been a three-piece band. First line - up was all three bros, Pete, Sam and Joe, second was Pete, Sam, and Dean (Brother in law) now just Pete and Sam :D.

richardp
01-08-2021, 11:31 AM
They have always been a three-piece band. First line - up was all three bros, Pete, Sam and Joe, second was Pete, Sam, and Dean (Brother in law) now just Pete and Sam :D.

I'm pretty sure I was at the final show with the original three brothers line-up. It was a halloween festival in '04 and if I remember correctly after that set is when they had the huge blowout and the bassist caught an Amtrak back home or some shit like that. I honestly always assumed they were a two piece since then and just used session bassists.

spiralout
01-08-2021, 11:32 AM
This song is long, all over the place, and it has a piano outro. This is how 2021 should have started. Great track and entertaining video. Album preordered. Wonder who will be taking Dean's place on bass.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-08-2021, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure I was at the final show with the original three brothers line-up. It was a halloween festival in '04 and if I remember correctly after that set is when they had the huge blowout and the bassist caught an Amtrak back home or some shit like that. I honestly always assumed they were a two piece since then and just used session bassists.

Correct. The problem with Joe was brewing for awhile before that, and he literally didn't write any music and pretty much sat back until the other two had enough of it; extremely toxic person. The track Brainiac from their album Vena Sera is all about him. Dean, on the other hand joined when Vena Sera released and has been an essential part of the band; he bowed out to focus on his fam and artwork.

I think other stuff went on behind the scenes. They pretty much scrapped the first batch of songs and re/recorded the entire album so I'm very curious to know more details. The track being all over the place actually works for me lol... I was like "Piano? Sure!"

halo eighteen
01-08-2021, 12:21 PM
Awesome track and Pete's one handsome motherfucker.

Um yeah, his touch of grey is certainly doing it for me. I've been checked out from this band since well before the Joe era was over even, but have to say that was a great song. Heard quite a bit of Muse-isms in that underlying guitar line, and that's not a read or a knock at all.

richardp
01-08-2021, 12:46 PM
Correct. The problem with Joe was brewing for awhile before that, and he literally didn't write any music and pretty much sat back until the other two had enough of it; extremely toxic person. The track Brainiac from their album Vena Sera is all about him. Dean, on the other hand joined when Vena Sera released and has been an essential part of the band; he bowed out to focus on his fam and artwork.

Makes sense. I remember the bassist just fucking standing there and not really being into the performance. That was a weird show. Fuckin' Jackyl opened for Chevelle and dude was slicing through pumpkins with his chainsaw.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-08-2021, 01:35 PM
Makes sense. I remember the bassist just fucking standing there and not really being into the performance. That was a weird show. Fuckin' Jackyl opened for Chevelle and dude was slicing through pumpkins with his chainsaw.

Hahaa, they always have opening acts that do wild stuff on stage. Halestorm brought out a gigantic drum set with oversized drum sticks... It was goofy as hell, along with Finger Eleven's guitarist a bit TOO into the performance. Dude was all over the stage like it was a heavy metal song and broke his strings 3 effing times.

I saw them with Joe once, and all I wanted him to do was put his shirt back on.

wight rabbit
01-08-2021, 02:38 PM
Dig the new song, but I had a little giggle at the video when I noticed Sam's kit has Zildjian low-volume cymbals on it. There's no way those would sound like they do in the track.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-08-2021, 03:17 PM
Dig the new song, but I had a little giggle at the video when I noticed Sam's kit has Zildjian low-volume cymbals on it. There's no way those would sound like they do in the track.

I believe Sam uses a Pearl drum kit. There should be some photos on their insta, but you'd have a better eye than me lol.

wight rabbit
01-08-2021, 03:40 PM
I believe Sam uses a Pearl drum kit. There should be some photos on their insta, but you'd have a better eye than me lol.

Yes, he does. He also used Paiste cymbals before the gear theft incident years back. I think he switched to Zildjian shortly after.

BrokenSpiral
01-11-2021, 08:58 AM
Love the new Muse song. Haha, kidding. Riff is very Matt Bellamy-esq though.

what’s with the production on this song though? Good bands have been putting out some bad sounding mixes lately.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-11-2021, 11:10 AM
Love the new Muse song. Haha, kidding. Riff is very Matt Bellamy-esq though.

what’s with the production on this song though? Good bands have been putting out some bad sounding mixes lately.

I think they brought in Joe Barresi again to produce which is usually a solid choice for them. What bothers me is not hearing much of the deep bass tones you would normally get from a Chevelle track.

poinoup
01-11-2021, 02:26 PM
Digging the new track. I think "La Gargola" is my favorite album by them and I didn't feel anything on the last one, but this shows promise.

Plus, how swank is that album cover?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-11-2021, 04:43 PM
^^^ It has a Logans Run feel to it, so I can dig it.

BrokenSpiral
01-11-2021, 08:10 PM
Vena Sera and Sci-Fi Crimes are definitely my favorite.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-28-2021, 11:27 PM
I love how raw this one sounds. Lyrics are simple, but it works enough. Seems like these tracks need to be heard in a more complete listen once the album releases.

https://youtu.be/gg1pK31X71c

Krazy
01-29-2021, 01:39 PM
Anyone else getting Prison Sex* vibes from this song?

*the Tool song, you sickos

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-21-2021, 08:31 PM
Last single before March 5th.

https://youtu.be/7k2Yc36MoPo

BrokenSpiral
02-22-2021, 09:32 AM
The production sucks but so far this album sounds more like a return to the big melodic chorus style they had on earlier albums. The last couple of albums have felt... screamy, just to be screamy. I don’t know if that makes sense.

elevenism
02-22-2021, 10:07 AM
Wow. I had totally forgotten about this band. They had one album I REALLY liked, or, maybe it was a mix CD someone made for me, back in 06: the one with Vitamin R, was it? Edit:I don't mean it came out then -just that that's when I was listening to it.
And it also had a track called The Clincher, I think- that's the one that says "this body's left the soul" and "now saturate." I was a cna in a respiratory and wound care hospital at the time, so that "saturate" business, like O2 Sat, really fired me up.
Awesome to see these guys still kicking ass

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-22-2021, 02:22 PM
@elevenism" ("https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/24 75)
If you wanna brush up, check out Vena Sera or Sci-fi Crimes.

The production sucks but so far this album sounds more like a return to the big melodic chorus style they had on earlier albums. The last couple of albums have felt... screamy, just to be screamy. I don’t know if that makes sense.

It does lol. Pete said he wanted to cater to the fans a bit for asking for heavy heavy and they well, got that lol. La Gargola captured that allure much better than The North Corridor, even though that album holds two of their best tracks ever, "Young Wicked" and "Joyride". They strive when they have the sound I'm hearing on Niratias so far.

Track off their remastered album I don't think many have heard. Love the lyric video on this one.

https://youtu.be/WuVBpNR8Uyk

wight rabbit
02-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Wow. I had totally forgotten about this band. They had one album I REALLY liked, or, maybe it was a mix CD someone made for me, back in 06: the one with Vitamin R, was it? Edit:I don't mean it came out then -just that that's when I was listening to it.
And it also had a track called The Clincher, I think- that's the one that says "this body's left the soul" and "now saturate." I was a cna in a respiratory and wound care hospital at the time, so that "saturate" business, like O2 Sat, really fired me up.
Awesome to see these guys still kicking ass

This one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Type_of_Thinking_(Could_Do_Us_In)

La Gargola captured that allure much better than The North Corridor

As heavy as La Gárgola is, that album actually turned me off of Chevelle for a while. I felt like it came off simultaneously as trying too hard and not trying enough (the latter applying more to the lyrics). The North Corridor is probably my favorite album as it feels more natural to me.

elevenism
02-23-2021, 03:51 PM
This one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Type_of_Thinking_(Could_Do_Us_In)
Yeah man. That one was fucking STUNNING. That was the one I had.

Whoever did the song writing for that record has a legitimate god given gift for the craft. Their music is so...idk, it's like, SERIOUS. It sounds IMPORTANT, at least on that record.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-23-2021, 05:20 PM
Whoever did the song writing for that record has a legitimate god given gift for the craft.

That is all Pete. He writes all the lyrics with a few exceptions from Sam. This is my all time favorite effort from them.

As heavy as La Gárgola is, that album actually turned me off of Chevelle for a while. I felt like it came off simultaneously as trying too hard and not trying enough (the latter applying more to the lyrics). The North Corridor is probably my favorite album as it feels more natural to me.

Whattt, complete opposite for me. I feel La Gargola is more focused and driven all around. Songs like Ouija Board, An Island, Hunter Eats Hunter, and Choking Game (Which is sort of two songs in one) just all feel much more cohesive. Even the lyrics give a haunting vibe... There is just more meat to the tracks here.

The North Corridor sounds forced, lazy, and quite forgettable to me. Besides Young Wicked and Joyride, there isn't much variety with some song structures feeling exactly the same. This feels like they were burnt out from Gargola and simply ran out of ideas lol. It's my least favorite Chevelle album.

wight rabbit
02-23-2021, 05:32 PM
That is all Pete. He writes all the lyrics with a few exceptions from Sam. This is my all time favorite effort from them.

Whattt, complete opposite for me. I feel La Gargola is more focused and driven all around. Songs like Ouija Board, An Island, Hunter Eats Hunter, and Choking Game (Which is sort of two songs in one) just all feel much more cohesive. Even the lyrics give a haunting vibe... There is just more meat to the tracks here.

The North Corridor sounds forced, lazy, and quite forgettable to me. Besides Young Wicked and Joyride, there isn't much variety with some song structures feeling exactly the same. This feels like they were burnt out from Gargola and simply ran out of ideas lol. It's my least favorite Chevelle album.

Interesting. I might have to give them both a listen back to back and see if my opinion changes. I definitely do like some of the tracks on La Gárgola, but songs like Jawbreaker sounded corny to me.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-23-2021, 05:57 PM
Interesting. I might have to give them both a listen back to back and see if my opinion changes. I definitely do like some of the tracks on La Gárgola, but songs like Jawbreaker sounded corny to me.

Hahaa, that was a "What were they thinking" moment for me. I will say that Warhol's Showbiz is a fun little track with a really cool sounding little solo in the bridge. I'm listening to them now back to back to see if my opinion changes lol.

richardp
03-04-2021, 10:51 PM
This album FUCKS.

Way way better than North Corridor, and has all the Gargola vibes. This is the first time Chevelle has done instrumental bangers since Point #1 right?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-05-2021, 01:04 AM
This album FUCKS.

Way way better than North Corridor, and has all the Gargola vibes. This is the first time Chevelle has done instrumental bangers since Point #1 right?

They did this track which was originally a bonus track for Sci-fi Crimes. Other than that, you're right.

https://youtu.be/o89vVCo4wu0

Just went through my first listen and this is by far the best material they have put out. Everything sounds focused, carefully crafted and placed, and doesn't even sound like Chevelle at times. Sleep the Deep is the only track that doesn't fit so I'll try to throw that in somewhere else if I can. Pete's vocals are heightened, all the instruments sounds tight, the vocals can be turned up a bit for sure. Lost In Digital Woods also caught me off guard and the way it borrows from something else on the album really hits... I won't go too far into that track because I want whoever is a fan in here to hear it for themselves.

Btw... I'M ON MY WAY TO MARS.

https://youtu.be/liG9EpPPeBA

https://youtu.be/cZpwxH1DU5s

https://youtu.be/boVuzMUuVKc

Archive_Reports
03-05-2021, 07:11 AM
Oh hell fucking yeah this album rocks.

scotty79
03-05-2021, 01:55 PM
great album, don’t care too much for the instrumentals but other than that it’s pretty solid

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-05-2021, 02:38 PM
I threw Sleep the Deep before Lost in Digital Woods and it works so much better for me. Why they didn't let it bleed into Self-destructor is beyond me.

VVormhole can arguably not be a track, but for me, it just adds to the theme and I'm a sucker for tracks that bleed into each other. Piistol Star/VVormhole/Peach is a very nice cohesive little piece.

richardp
03-05-2021, 04:12 PM
To me, you can really hear how much Pete liked that last TOOL album. They've always had a smidge of that TOOL sound, but it's super overt on this album. And honestly Pete's voice has never sounded better than it does on this one.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-05-2021, 05:57 PM
To me, you can really hear how much Pete liked that last TOOL album. They've always had a smidge of that TOOL sound, but it's super overt on this album. And honestly Pete's voice has never sounded better than it does on this one.

There are a lot of little things he does with his voice in here that I love; it sounds incredibly clean. Honestly, it is the most Toolesque they have sounded since Point #1, but it still has that Chevelle sound in it. If anything, I would think Pete listened to past Tool albums instead of the new one from what I hear.

BrokenSpiral
03-06-2021, 09:24 AM
Album fucking kills. Chevelle has given me Tool-lite vibes in the past, but they might be doing it better here. Also love the return to big melodic vocals.

caca
03-08-2021, 10:36 PM
I've given this album a few listens now, and yeah... it's one of their best. Really digging it.

Reznor2112
03-09-2021, 04:20 PM
Goddamn Pete sounds like 2002-era Maynard on this record more than ever lol especially on Ghost and Razor -- Not a dig. I love it.

This record is pretty great, really diggin it. Some great bangers and Pete (as I mentioned) sounds better than ever on this one.

wight rabbit
03-10-2021, 03:37 PM
I think this album definitely took over as my favorite.

Krazy
03-10-2021, 10:08 PM
This album FUCKS.

What does THIS even mean!?!?!? I don’t know!!!

AndItKeepsRepeating
03-10-2021, 10:27 PM
What does THIS even mean!?!?!? I don’t know!!!

The album fucks other albums?

But who can say what anything actually means when nothing is real and this is a simulation

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-10-2021, 11:41 PM
The first 3 tracks really do not let up. The album has heavy, there is a lot more melody (At their best imo), there is slow, weird, and I am all for it. It is most definitely a Chevelle record, but that is not a bad thing being known as one of the most consistent rock/alt bands out there. I need a TOUR!

There are track by track breakdowns on the itunes section for the new album.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/niratias/1545068576 (Click read more)

poinoup
03-11-2021, 10:27 AM
This is really good, but it needs another listen today. "Peach" gives me "Prison Sex" vibes.

caca
03-12-2021, 09:14 PM
This album's got me going back and revisiting their whole catalog, and goddamn, they don't have a single turd. I admittedly didn't like The North Corridor when it came out, and haven't listened to it since... until today. I'm not sure what stick was up my ass in 2016, because it's a fucking banger. Shame on me.

allegate
03-16-2021, 04:28 PM
Doing a re-listen to the discography and I never really noticed it but yeah he's got a MJK thing going on vocally.

Krazy
03-16-2021, 06:44 PM
I never really noticed it but yeah he's got a MJK thing going on vocally.

No kidding? Pretty much where the Tool resemblance comes into play since Chevelle got big about 20 years ago. Dude simply has a similar voice, kind of why Greta Van Fleet always gets compared to Zeppelin (although I think GVF’s music is more similar to a LZ too than Chevelle is to Tool).

allegate
03-16-2021, 09:16 PM
I mean, you want to drift a little further you got this APC-sounding band from the middle-aughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5cYjpmRS8

bobbie solo
03-17-2021, 03:23 AM
Would be excited to see a Chevelle show when the world opens up. They would likely play alot of this excellent record, along with plenty of their bigger old stuff. Would be awesome. Always nice when you really dig & want to hear live the new material from a band that's been around as long as they have.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-17-2021, 04:32 PM
Would be excited to see a Chevelle show when the world opens up. They would likely play alot of this excellent record, along with plenty of their bigger old stuff. Would be awesome. Always nice when you really dig & want to hear live the new material from a band that's been around as long as they have.

Fucking agreed man. I have been watching some old live shows on the tube, and they are so darn tight. Love that Pete mixes up the riffs and vocals and even adds little change ups to keep it feeling fresh; Mars Simula and Verruckt would sound absolutely killer. They have a new touring bassist from the band Aeges: Kemble Walters, so excited to see what he brings.

Really hard to read this latest interview with Pete. It's about time they stray away from Epic and do their own thing. https://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/42564/Chevelle-Havent-Made-Any-Money/

Reznor2112
03-17-2021, 04:58 PM
Had this damn album on repeat since release to my surprise. ITS JUST SO DAMN GOOD and sticky.

I can't help but cranking every song -- and I am smitten with Pete's vocals on Ghost & Razor. That fuckin track is top notch.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-01-2021, 01:16 PM
New video for Mars Simula!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBeOzVp6dc

BrokenSpiral
05-01-2021, 01:50 PM
So Long, Mother Earth is so fucking good. This album had staying power. Great stuff.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-01-2021, 10:14 PM
So Long, Mother Earth is so fucking good. This album had staying power. Great stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out what my favorite track is! The vocals alone put So Long at the top. Pete said there is a version of Verruckt that has lyrics... I'm dying to hear it.

bobbie solo
05-04-2021, 03:12 AM
Doing some socially distanced shows with Sevendust.