PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars : The Old Republic (NOW IN BETA)

owinn
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Anyone currently testing this game out? I'm really enjoying this so far - it's miles ahead of Galaxies and so far has felt a bit like playing Dragon Age with a multiplayer community to help you out. The main draw for me having tried out numerous MMORPG titles and not getting into them is the story which is voice acted all the way through with all your regular Bioware actors (mmm Cam Clarke!). Voice acting is good for me as my workload requires me to shut my brain off a bit after hours and having to read a whole book's worth of text when all I want to do is chill out with a game like this and THEN read a book before bed makes this more attractive to me. What I will say is that all I seem to be doing as a lightside Jedi is snitching on all the other padawans who are either falling in love or getting mad or displaying any kind of emotion. This, for me is making the Jedi quest seem like I'm preparing to be a somewhat preachy evangelist.

PooPooMeowChow
12-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Hows the combat? really interested in this, after.....

.....you know, Pandas.

dolemite
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I greatly enjoyed the beta. I felt like the Jedi Knight combat was a bit of a letdown at low levels, but I tried Trooper and thought it was awesome. Other people said that Smuggler was awesome as well.

The combat is a little too similar to traditional MMO's, I think, especially if playing a Jedi, but overall, I thought the game was great. I'm sure there will be haters bitching about everything, but I really liked the game.

Maurish
12-07-2011, 01:53 AM
My experience during the beta weekend was similar to Dolemite.
The gameplay feels really great although it is very similar to traditional MMO's (especially to World of Warcraft in many aspects). The story element is great though, I really like the fact that there are no quests which you just pick up without reading and kill ten boars. Everything is voice-acted and just like in KotOR games, you'll have multiple possible solutions. Every class has its own story and as far as I know, the story branches into multiple stories, depending on your choices. Light side or dark side will play a huge role but I am not sure how much little decisions affect your story later in the game.
The fact that you can be a dark side Jedi Knight or whoever from the Republic side is interesting. Completely ignoring the Jedi Code and going all "unlimited power!" on your enemies (sadly I don't think you can shoot lightning out of your hands as Republic so Sith is more rewarding in that part).

You can have companions (six of them if I'm not mistaken). Every companion has their stories and I guess since it's a Bioware game, you can go romance with one of them as well. Your crew takes care most of your professions. You'll get your own ship, just like in KotOR. Space battles and lots more. This game has a lot to offer so I'm interested to see how it turns out!

dolemite
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I've read that you can play dark side, but build your jedi as a light side, so you are rebelling against the dark side...and that you can play light side, but become evil by picking dark side choices. Of course, you will still be limited to a specific class based on which side you chose, but, if true, this concept presents interesting ideas.

Ken
12-07-2011, 12:29 PM

jehuty
12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
By the way, I'm not even sure if your choices will have an impact on the story. The only impact of your alignment (light or dark side) is that you get access to gear for light and dark side respectively. The gear will have the same stats, but look differently. So those who go in between and stay neutral get fucked over.

edit: I meant to say: "the only impact that I know of"

heroicraptor
12-07-2011, 01:04 PM
So those who go in between and stay neutral get fucked over.

It always seems like that's the case in SW RPGs. :/

dolemite
12-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Early game access starts on December 13th. I'm downloading the non-beta game client right now. EA has started sending out to everybody that pre-ordered. Not everyone has gotten the emails yet, but they should soon. They're going to email us codes to activate the client in a few days, but at least I can go ahead and get the downloading over with.

edit: By the way, you can remove the "now in beta" from the thread title. ...Beta is over and full client is in the wild. Full game access to those who pre-ordered stats Dec 13th.

Zimbo
12-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I had the beta last weekend and I have to say, I think I will no purchase the game now. I was bored throughout, plus, I don't want to pay the monthly fee during a time I won't have a job.

dolemite
12-10-2011, 07:01 PM
If anybody tries this game and does not like it, I highly suggest playing the smuggler and trooper classes as they appeared more fun at low levels than the Jedi classes.

dolemite
12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm in on early access on the server Mind Trick, in case some other ETS people are looking for a server to join.

Space Suicide
12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Meh, I have the old PC games for both of the Knights. If anyone wants either or both of them, we can work out a deal in a PM. I'd sell them cheap as I don't want them and they are taking up space.

NotoriousTIMP
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
So I just got my CE from Amazon.com and I'm pretty furious over how shitty they packaged it. Look at the pictures below, im currently fighting with them trying to get a replacement:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/9b76813e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/a5711118.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/e87088b3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/b7606406.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/21a3249b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/69e03c2c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/3dc2eebe.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/d2330ca0.jpg

and this is how Amazon.com packed it. /sigh They should have put it in the center of the box and put the air packs each side, this sort of thing wouldn't have happened. If you plan on buying the CE from Amazon, think twice. At $150 they should have taken better care when sending this out....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/c4b3f37f.jpg

october_midnight
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh damn, that's pretty piss poor packaging man...

Shout out to packaging some bubble cushioning in the box, but just next to the actual box itself. Jeez...

dolemite
01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Amazon generally has great customer service. Send those pictures, and hopefully, they will send you a replacement.

NotoriousTIMP
01-08-2012, 03:10 AM
I sent in the pix to amazon and today I had a free replacement at my door step :D

Tapatapa?

dolemite
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM
^^^But you still have the Collector's Edition registration code from the first shipment too...so basically, you got a $150 collector's edition code for free? You gonna ebay that second code or did you already use it or what? Just curious. For the code alone you can probably get some serious cash because the CE comes with exclusive in-game items.

Torgo
01-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Playing this right now and it's pretty fun.

I don't know if you can find me under 'Ipokemonkeys' or 'Azraella' (my character name) - but feel free to add me. Fucking Sith Inquisitor, motherfuckers.

Mech
01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
My Dad is playing this so I tried it when I was visiting and it seemed pretty cool. The game isn't as fun at lower levels I am aware, but it was cool that the controls were nearly identical was they are/were in WoW, so that made it easy to play. He let me play a couple of the space missions too, and thought those were also fun, but sometimes I wasn't sure what to do exactly, or which targets were for the quest. would definitely play it, if I thought I had the time for an MMO that is :)

Torgo
01-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Holy fuck, I've been playing this too much. I leveled a character to 20 in a matter of 3 days. :-/

NotoriousTIMP
01-13-2012, 06:19 PM
^^^But you still have the Collector's Edition registration code from the first shipment too...so basically, you got a $150 collector's edition code for free? You gonna ebay that second code or did you already use it or what? Just curious. For the code alone you can probably get some serious cash because the CE comes with exclusive in-game items.

That's not a bad idea!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Torgo
01-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Or you know... if you want to give it away for free to someone... ;)

*insert creepy wink here*

NotoriousTIMP
02-12-2012, 02:34 AM
So I pretty much don't have time for this game anymore. Would anyone be interested in buying my collectors edition that's unopened? You'll get the key fob thing + all the in game goodies. Ill let it go for $100 shipped inside the US

Sent from my RAZOR MAXX using Tapatalk.

thelastdisciple
11-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Has anyone else started up some FTP?

Fixer808
11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Or you know... if you want to give it away for free to someone... ;)

*insert creepy wink here*
I only just saw this post, and here's what I found when I googled "creepy wink animated gif"
http://netanimations.net/Animated-gif-creepy-picture-moving.gif

scorpiusdiamond
12-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Started playing this as I'm on a Star Wars kick at the moment. For the cutscenes alone it's awesome.
You can get it for free now, although it took all night to download.

Torgo
12-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I only just saw this post, and here's what I found when I googled "creepy wink animated gif"
http://netanimations.net/Animated-gif-creepy-picture-moving.gif

Oh god, that's terrifying.

As for the game, I haven't played this for a while. I sort of moved on to Guild Wars 2 and haven't moved away from that...

thelastdisciple
12-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I've leveled up to 22 so far, my HP could be way higher though.... the goods seem to be very few and far between or i just really suck.

This is also the first MMORPG i've ever played so my noobishness is probably showing through like crazy.

Lots of homework to do on tanking (i didn't know what the fuck this was or meant just days ago or even that i was one, just thought the route i chose for my character sounded interesting, didn't know it came with all these legit responsibilities and that people would be barking at me all the time for doing the wrong thing) and all the damn chat lingo... ugh....

Once i get through the story that'll be it for me anyways, so I'm not complaining too much about the free playability cap at level 50 or any of the other limitations.

Fixer808
12-01-2012, 11:12 PM
See, that's the kind of thing that makes me shy away from MMPORGs. I don't want to feel like I'm at work, I want to hack the shit out of people with a lightsaber, or blow up some hookers and gang members with an RPG, or cut down a squad of Nazis with a heavy machine gun.