PDA

View Full Version : Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

Space Suicide
12-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Anyone care for Bad Meets Evil's EP? I never gave it a listen.

Might as well make this a general discussion and news thread.

I've had The Eminem Show on non-stop this week. So good. White America, Without Me and Hailie's Song are always choice cuts.

bgalbraith
12-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I was really into Eminem during the Marshal Mathers LP/Eminem Show/8 Mile era. When Encore came out, I wasn't impressed and kinda just forgot about him. Haven't really bothered trying to listen to the newer stuff, though I heard it was getting some decent reviews.

Space Suicide
12-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I was really into Eminem during the Marshal Mathers LP/Eminem Show/8 Mile era. When Encore came out, I wasn't impressed and kinda just forgot about him. Haven't really bothered trying to listen to the newer stuff, though I heard it was getting some decent reviews.

Oh god, Encore....Big Weenie, Ass Like That...the songs on that album were abysmal in intellect and not that good. Rhyming meanie with weenie? God, Marshall.

As for his newer stuff, I'd give Recovery a try. That has great reviews and people seem to like it. I personally prefer and enjoy Relapse much more than Recovery. I'm in that minority group. Recovery is good.

Goldfoot
12-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Oh god, Encore....Big Weenie, Ass Like That...the songs on that album were abysmal in intellect and not that good. Rhyming meanie with weenie? God, Marshall.

At least he can rhyme birthday with first place.

As for his newer stuff, I'd give Recovery a try. That has great reviews and people seem to like it. I personally prefer and enjoy Relapse much more than Recovery. I'm in that minority group. Recoveyr is good.

I also prefer Relapse to Recovery. I've listened to Recovery a fair amount of times, but I don't even remember many of the song names to go back and listen to the ones I specifically like. I like a good amount on Relapse, though, and I didn't even notice the accents I see people complaining about. Well, they didn't bother me at least.

zombielynx21
12-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Recovery is his pop album. It's solid, but it doesn't really move me like his older stuff does. Relapse is solid, but it's very much in the ridiculous ultraviolence mode of his early records. Also, that accent gets annoying really quickly. Haven't listened to Bad Meets Evil yet and Encore is still the only album I regret spending money on.

Harry Seaward
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Recovery has the greatest rapping skills I've heard of his in a long time. The subject matter just made me snooze. Relapse was pretty shit. I've only heard one of those Bad Meets Evil songs. It was okay, I guess. He'll never be able to outdo Slim Shady LP.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 03:11 AM
listen to old Bat Meets Evil EP instead. MUCH better.

cicada
01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I rate 'The Sauce' as one of the best things he ever put out. No hooks or chorus, just one long, venomous verse...

Blackbookpress1984
01-10-2012, 11:52 PM
bad meets evil is definitely his best work in a long LONG time.

Rdm
01-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't care what anyone says I think his last one was his best and I was a fan since the very beginning before he even released album, not that it matters. Just saying I believe all the pitchfork fanboys just followed along and parroted.:mad: His deliver in Recovery sounded if he was free-styling . I have always liked the way he raps such as in songs like " The way I am " " Till I collapse" I felt the new album all the songs had that same delivery and none of them were stupid joke songs. IMO Recovery was the album I been waiting for . Perfect album in my eyes

think i'm a fire engine
01-11-2012, 05:07 AM
I liked him when I was like 14. Nowadays, not so much.

BRoswell
01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Even though I'm not a huge fan of him anymore, I still consider The Marshall Mathers LP to be a fantastic album. I've enjoyed a few of his songs since then, but that's the only album I can come back to as a whole and enjoy.

Halo Infinity
01-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I haven't been into Eminem as much as I've used to, but The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP and most of The Eminem Show will always remain to be my favorite albums from him. I've also thought of getting back into him though.

allegro
01-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Still love Slim Shady and MM LPs. And I love how he's still a true believer in Detroit.

And this song will always make me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTGvq5WE0Q

Pillfred
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't care what anyone says I think his last one was his best and I was a fan since the very beginning before he even released album, not that it matters. Just saying I believe all the pitchfork fanboys just followed along and parroted.:mad: His deliver in Recovery sounded if he was free-styling . I have always liked the way he raps such as in songs like " The way I am " " Till I collapse" I felt the new album all the songs had that same delivery and none of them were stupid joke songs. IMO Recovery was the album I been waiting for . Perfect album in my eyes

Pretty much this.

Always been a fan though i have never listened to him a lot. I tend to agree that Recovery was one of his better albums. It will be interesting to see what he does next.

cashpiles (closed)
01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
I enjoy Relapse because of the hilarious lyrics and his accents and THE COHERENT, LINEAR STORIES found in the songs. What other rapper would be brave enough rap with different accents? Some of the beats and choruses though weren't that particularly good and sometimes actually boring. Still, it's a good album with some solid songs: 3am, My Mom, Bagpipes in Bagdhad, Medicine Ball, We Made You. Even Crack A Bottle was released during this era and it's very solid, with classic Dre beats (you can see the progression from 2001) and a high level verse from Eminem.

Recovery is more tuneful overall with some great songs: Not Afraid, Cold Wind Blows, On Fire, Going Through Changes. The problem is with the preponderance of mediocre lyrics DELIVERED IN A PASSIONATE, EMOTIONAL WAY that they don't warrant. He's rapping every song like it's his last day on Earth and he seems so full of confidence, yet much of the lyrics are just terrible, disconnected one-liners that suck. He seems to be taking things too seriously and it just shows his age and insecurity, like he's trying to cover it up.

Rdm
01-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Recovery is more tuneful overall with some great songs: Not Afraid, Cold Wind Blows, On Fire, Going Through Changes. The problem is with the preponderance of mediocre lyrics DELIVERED IN A PASSIONATE, EMOTIONAL WAY that they don't warrant. He's rapping every song like it's his last day on Earth and he seems so full of confidence, yet much of the lyrics are just terrible, disconnected one-liners that suck. He seems to be taking things too seriously and it just shows his age and insecurity, like he's trying to cover it up.

I disagree.

How can we say his lyrics don't warrant his emotional delivery ? Do we live in his shoes? How can anyone say he is taking himself too seriously. Also, I think its sort of neat how honest and straight forward the lyrics are. I just grow tiring to see such a great album, IMO, like recovery get bashed and criticized for lyrical content when an album like Kanye West's -Dark Fantasy gets such praise when the lyrical content is laughable at best, again my opinion. I have said this from day one Recovery >>>>>>>> Dark Fantasy . Not like thats even on topic, but it's relevant seeing how both albums came out the same year and one got great praise while the other got bashed. .

BRoswell
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
As sad as it is, I almost prefer Eminem when his life was in the toilet. He was a lunatic who had somehow gotten a hold of a microphone, but now he just reminds me of all the other rappers out there now.

Halo Infinity
09-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I can't believe that I forgot to bump this thread. The Marshall Mathers LP 2 is coming out on November 5th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marshall_Mathers_LP_2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=359na4NeaVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Af8RrmLPY

Vertigo
09-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Huh. Retrospective to a classic album? New band logo cut from the old? Song for a Call of Duty? Seems Eminem has nine inch nails in one of his eyelids.

tony.parente
09-06-2013, 06:48 PM
The new shit is so bad.
Oh my god it's so bad.

Magtig
09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah, pretty much. The Call of Duty thing falls flat. I want to like Berserk, it's got that great Beastie Boys vibe, but it's such a mess everywhere else.

Halo Infinity
09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZeVDyhzOQ

AgentofChaos
09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
The guy is obviously pretty funny and can rap pretty damn well. I'm not hugely into him by any stretch, but every now and again he will throw out a track that connects with me. I think he's at his best when he's doing emotional heartfelt songs like Stan or Spacebound OR when he's at his absolute angriest and most fuckin hateful with songs like Go To Sleep (which I'm not sure he even has in him anymore but I have no frame of reference to say that since I haven't listened to much of his new stuff). But to me Space Bound still proves he can put out some very decent pop music that isn't silly or cliched or irrelevant like some of his other singles these days which are just lamer rehashes of stuff he has done before. I will give the new album a couple spins and see what's up for sure, although I'm definitely not crazy about either track thus far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JByDbPn6A1o

And of course, I still love his scene in this film... so he'll always have that;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qWMjgpIECA

fillow
09-10-2013, 02:46 AM
1. He can't top The Eminem Show no matter what.
2. An army of asshole teenage Eminem fans fucking ruined my NIN show this year (well, at least the last three songs).

That's all I've got to say.

The Doctor
09-10-2013, 07:54 AM
1. He can't top The Eminem Show no matter what.
2. An army of asshole teenage Eminem fans fucking ruined my NIN show this year (well, at least the last three songs).

That's all I've got to say.

I still think Marshall Mathers LP is his crowning achievement. Which is why he's biting the name for his new LP. I feel like he's only setting himself up for disappointment by doing that.

But how did Eminem fans ruin your NIN experience?

The Doctor
09-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Anyone care for Bad Meets Evil's EP? I never gave it a listen.

Some might disagree, but aside from his verse in Drake's "Forever," the Bad Meets Evil EP is his best work since 'The Eminem Show.' His flows for 90% of it are untouchable.

mfte
10-22-2013, 02:35 PM
I dont want to say it BUT Rap God is pretty amazing.

His technical ability is un matched.

He destroys everything on that song.

profane
10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Nah, Marshall doesn't Mathers anymore. The lyrical content is pretty laughable.

Rdm
10-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Eminem is currently making his best music. If it's anything like recovery then it will be amazing. The new song rap god is so good .

Procane- sounds like you are another indie kid who never understood Eminem .

p

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-22-2013, 06:35 PM
The Shady is back... so far.

Halo Infinity
10-22-2013, 06:54 PM
It didn't seem to be posted yet. I really like it when his songs flow like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cQ3b0iqLo

reseen_lamenti
10-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Eminem is currently making his best music. If it's anything like recovery then it will be amazing. The new song rap god is so good .

Procane- sounds like you are another indie kid who never understood Eminem .

p
Well first you have to listen to his older music and compare it to the things he's doing now you get to see Em's career leave out the window guess that's why they call it window pain.

Halo Infinity
10-22-2013, 07:06 PM
While I'm able to find things to like in his newer work, I've always loved The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mather LP, and The Eminem Show. And that's also not to say that I think his newer stuff is bad, or anything like that. Those three albums seem to be the best albums for potential/new fans of Eminem.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-22-2013, 07:30 PM
While I'm able to find things to like in his newer work, I've always loved The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mather LP, and The Eminem Show. And that's also not to say that I think his newer stuff is bad, or anything like that. Those three albums seem to be the best albums for potential/new fans of Eminem.

Those are my favorite albums from him... everything after has been hit and miss for me. I would add "Infinite" to that list since no one even knows that album exists and I love it.

slave2thewage
10-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Washed up has-been turns to homophobia. Nice.

Fredy_Brown
10-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Em fell off a long time ago. He's not even homophobic, he just doesn't have shit to say except for trying to shock - which doesn't quite work anymore - and how great and relevant he is - while neither holds truth these days. Just quit.

profane
10-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Drip drip drip.

tony.parente
10-30-2013, 12:08 PM

You do realize he's been saying the word faggot in his songs since infinite right?
And we'll take a look at the album sales and see how washed up he is.

#justsayin

Khrz
10-30-2013, 12:13 PM

He's been protesting against gay marriage since The Marshall Mathers LP at least. I remember that former friend cheering when he saw the clip for The Real Slim Shady...

tony.parente
10-30-2013, 12:16 PM
He's been protesting against gay marriage

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/eminem-i-support-gay-marriage-2010176
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/jun/18/eminem-gay-marriage
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1641778/eminem-supports-gay-marriage.jhtml
http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/entertainment-news/2010/06/17/eminem-supports-gay-marriage

Khrz
10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Nice ! No idea or interest in knowing if it's a PR move or an actual change of heart, but okay, good !

tony.parente
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Nice ! No idea or interest in knowing if it's a PR move or an actual change of heart, but okay, good !

I hope you don't think I was attacking you.
Same to you slave2thewage, nothing but love over here.

Khrz
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Oh, no worry, you corrected me, I am now better informed, that's all there is :)

reseen_lamenti
10-30-2013, 04:26 PM
MMLP2 is available for streaming. (http://www.howflyhiphop.com/2013/10/30/eminem-the-marshall-mathers-lp-2-album-stream-download/)

My thoughts.

The final third of the opening song and post-intro skit set the mood that this could be an interesting comeback. It is followed up by bland Garageband pop-rock/country production (neither Em, Dre, Bass Brothers, or Mr Porter contribute. You know... those kind of beats where you KNEW it was an Eminem song), corny love songs, cringe-worthy moments, and socially awkward overly dramatic emotion and yelling. Not better than Relapse, about the same as Recovery/Encore, possibly worse - the latter still considered one of the worst rap albums in history.

Can't wait for Needle Drop/Dead End Hip Hop's coverage, and anticipating Myke C-Town's thoughts on Stronger Than I Was.

Pillfred
10-30-2013, 04:36 PM
I hate it when form/style overtakes passion, if that is the right word.

Rdm
10-31-2013, 12:50 AM
I think Eminem is truly making his best work now. I think these last two albums are his best. His delivery is 1000 times better, almost like he is free styling. Every song feels like till I collapse off the Eminem show. I been waiting for him to make albums like this. Recovery is beyond good. This new album is right on par with his last.

Fredy_Brown
10-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Feel free to discuss the new album now.

Psychologypom
10-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Absolutely loving the new album. Other than relapse I think all of his stuff is excellent (and even that had 5 or 6 excellent songs on it). Can't understand for the life of me people criticising recovery which I would say is his finest to date. As for the new one - i'm hearing some real variations throughout the album, certainly not samey at all - the usual mix of humour, some great aggressiveness, some real heartfelt songs. Love it. If you like Eminem you'll love this. If you don't then I guess you won't, and why are you even reading this?

clodhopper
10-31-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm impressed. I enjoyed the last two, but immediately love this record -- easily his strongest since The Eminem Show or the first Marshall Mathers LP. Good on 'M.

allegro
10-31-2013, 10:57 PM
I am looking forward to listening to this, love him so much that I really want him to succeed, he's so so talented.

Charmingly Miserable
10-31-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm not the biggest Em fan but I have heard the new stuff. Rap God is by far the best so far.

ibanez33
10-31-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm impressed. I enjoyed the last two, but immediately love this record -- easily his strongest since The Eminem Show or the first Marshall Mathers LP. Good on 'M.

I'd put it somewhere between the two, definitely better than Eminem Show but it's too early to decide if it's as good as the SS or MM albums. I fucking love the opening song though, it's so fucking awesome.

tony.parente
11-01-2013, 08:18 AM
The songs released so far have been absolute garbage, really happy to hear the remaining tracks. Evil twin is incredible.

poinoup
11-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Damn...there's some great shit on here.

I love the choice of samples (Time of the Season(!), The Game of Love, Life's Been Good), and his flows sound pretty damn decent. There are a few throwaway tracks that seem like retreads though, and I don't know what to think of "Headlights" or "Stronger Than I Was".

I'm going 7.5 on this one though... I thought that slapping the "MMLP 2" was not the smartest move, but I approve.

Rdm
11-02-2013, 12:43 AM
If I was to rate like pitchfork I would give it a 9.3. Amazing release. Also I been listening to Eminem since Infinite so.......

His first three under aftermath were good and showed a lot of potential but I always hated how gimmicky he was. In the last two releases he is showing his talent in every song.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-02-2013, 01:24 AM
I loved his older material because it was honest, raw, emotional, and Em was in his own world as far as lyrics and delivery and tone. He pretty much became everything that he hated when it comes to commercial/mainstream radio garbage. I cannot stand when he tries to sing melody, or sing at all. It just doesn't fit the character he flawlessly created and it makes me cringe whenever I hear a song of that mood. I'll take a Stan type of delivery over that mushy stuff any day of the week. The songs that shine on MMLP2 shine, but the others that I do not care for.. I will probably never revisit again. Good follow up I must say because it's been hit or miss for me since The Eminem Show came out which I think is the last great album he made.

allegro
11-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Em fell off a long time ago. He's not even homophobic, he just doesn't have shit to say except for trying to shock - which doesn't quite work anymore - and how great and relevant he is - while neither holds truth these days.
Yeah, that's true. I wish he'd stop saying faggot all the time. It's just ignorant, not shocking.

Krazy
11-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Eminem on SNL tonight, fucking lip syncing. Pathetic.

Been a fan of his for a long time. Pot meet kettle.

Kid Charlemagne
11-03-2013, 09:49 AM
I'll break the mold here and come out and say that this album is a steaming pile of shit. Better than the last two albums? Of course, but that's not saying much, if anything, this album bears more in common with Relapse and Encore where he tries to regain the old edge that made him a star in the first place only to be a shell of the rapper he once was. I'm glad he sorta died down on the screaming on this record, since Recovery just featured him shouting on nearly god damn every song, but the whole album smacks of desperation, it's the sound of someone trying way too hard to prove he has the edge, when it isn't necessary, hearing a 41 year old man say "faggot" and trying to be shocking isn't anything, it's weird and clumsy and stupid.

I also think the production on the album is very poor, this album has the weakest beats of any Eminem album and of any major label hip hop album this year, I understand that Shady was the producer for most of the album and oversaw a lot, so if anything, he's become too involved. I really wanted to like it, since Em was the artist for me in middle school and into high school, but there's not much positive I can add to it. Maybe him and Jay-Z can battle over who had the better attempted comeback album this year.

Broadbent
11-03-2013, 12:03 PM
SNL was awful. WTF is Rick Rubin doing on stage? And the lip syncing was awful.

Charmingly Miserable
11-03-2013, 01:47 PM
SNL was awful. WTF is Rick Rubin doing on stage? And the lip syncing was awful.I missed it but after watching the videos, Em was pretty bad.

Krazy
11-03-2013, 04:27 PM
WTF is Rick Rubin doing on stage?

Being useless, which is right in his comfort zone these days.

Space Suicide
11-03-2013, 05:30 PM
I've heard everything about this album and haven't yet bothered to listen. Recovery was very, very average and I really loved Relapse (don't know why people hate it, it has so much personality). If it's better than Recovery, I might like it somewhat. I'm keeping it in the realm of modern times for my like or distaste, since the huge gap between Encore (lousy) and Relapse is really wide.

elevenism
11-03-2013, 08:56 PM
can i just say i LOVE it when Em goes into beast mode on say, No Love.
I ESPECIALLY love how hard he goes on Forever with Drake, and i have i theory that he's actually talking shit about the other three rappers....

i love em...but that berzerk thing. Good god, it was awful

Vertigo
11-04-2013, 02:22 AM
can i just say i LOVE it when Em goes into beast mode on say, No Love.

No Love would be an amazing track if Lil Wayne hadn't gone anywhere near it. I've chopped his verse out on my version, which is a great improvement but sadly leaves it as half a song.

Krazy
11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm really digging 'Headlights' (w/Nate Ruess). Pretty damn powerful song IMHO.

cashpiles (closed)
11-05-2013, 08:07 PM
OK. I listened to it. My impression is that this album is much better than Recovery (had some strong material, but tons of songs with passionate rap with no substance), which I consider to be the second-worst Eminem album (1st place: Encore). So I think this one is enjoyable as a full album listening experience. This isn't greatness, but it's goodness and it's fun enough.

Second listen: the first half of the album is incredible, like in some ways some of his best. I need to spend more time with the second half, as it seems more hit and miss.

Krazy
11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
^^^^ Agreed cashpiles. Definitely not his best like the first few albums, and definitely not the turds that are Encore through the previous album.

Considering I had low expectations of it because of the above, I'm pleasantly surprised. I honestly think any artist/band/musician has so much creativity in them anyways before things go down hill or stale- something's that's probably even harder to do in the rap/hip-hop genre.

Pillfred
11-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I like it we'll enough, kinda seems like a good melding if his older style with his last album. Still only listened to it a couple times but I'm digging what I'm hearing so far.

Fredy_Brown
11-07-2013, 01:48 PM
The whole gay bashing fuzz is also kinda needless, though. I mean, he's been saying it for ages it's a part of Slim Shady persona. Get over it.

tony.parente
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
The whole gay bashing fuzz is also kinda needless, though. I mean, he's been saying it for ages it's a part of Slim Shady persona. Get over it.

This isn't really supposed to be an insult to this community because I love ETS, but this board has the most hyper PC memberbase of any community I have ever seen in my life. It approaches hilarity at times, I didn't even know ageist was a thing until I came here.

frankie teardrop
11-07-2013, 02:14 PM
wait, weren't you the one who complained about NSFW cover art in the what are you listening to thread, though?

frankie teardrop
11-07-2013, 02:17 PM
and no, misogyny and gay bashing is pretty inexcusable as far as posting is concerned. if an artist's lyrics are racist/sexist/ageist (for real or for satire), it's your own choice as to whether or not you want to support that.

none of this is really "PC" so much as it is "being a decent human being."

tony.parente
11-07-2013, 02:19 PM
wait, weren't you the one who complained about NSFW cover art in the what are you listening to thread, though?

Thats not complaining about something not being PC, thats me not wanting tits on my computer screen at work and trying to explain it. Big difference between getting butthurt for not being warned about nudity and being butthurt over someone saying backup singers were "shoo wopping".

littlemonkey613
11-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I've heard everything about this album and haven't yet bothered to listen. Recovery was very, very average and I really loved Relapse (don't know why people hate it, it has so much personality). If it's better than Recovery

GOD FUCKING THANK YOU!

I think Relapse is fucking excellent and I love that it just doesn't sound like a mainstream album. Idk, the textures are insane, the lyrics are insane and sound like someone actually trying to express their angst in a real way. I love that album man. I'm also way more into when he does real satire.

Space Suicide
11-08-2013, 02:56 PM
GOD FUCKING THANK YOU!

I think Relapse is fucking excellent and I love that it just doesn't sound like a mainstream album. Idk, the textures are insane, the lyrics are insane and sound like someone actually trying to express their angst in a real way. I love that album man. I'm also way more into when he does real satire.

Ditto, the accent everyone hated is what gave it its charm, I thought. There's a lot of great tracks too (Bagpipes from Baghdad, My Mom, 3am and Beautiful to name a few) and an amusing, yet serious demeanor to the album. Oh well, different strokes.

littlemonkey613
11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Ditto, the accent everyone hated is what gave it its charm, I thought. There's a lot of great tracks too (Bagpipes from Baghdad, My Mom, 3am and Beautiful to name a few) and an amusing, yet serious demeanor to the album. Oh well, different strokes.

Hell yes. My favorite tracks on it were Stay Wide Awake, Insane (mostly because it reminds me of Criminal which is one of my favorite Eminem tracks ever) and Underground. He's so good at comical horror and visceral, horrible descriptions. That shit juxtaposed with his playful tone is just choice.

Fredy_Brown
11-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Let's face it: if critics put so much scrutiny into other reviews as they to into MMLP2...

Pillfred
11-19-2013, 02:04 AM
With the exception of a syrupy track or two this is a fucking solid album IMO.

Rdm
12-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Finally got around to really digest Eminem's new album and as expected, as a minority, it's great. The song "headlights" will be another huge, I bet my life, hit for him. I just dont understand why younger kids praise kanye and put down eminem. Eminem is almost getting better as a lyricist. two solid albums in a row, congrates

Space Suicide
12-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Don't know why but Survival is really resonating with me lately when I think of current EM works. I've yet to listen to MMLP2.

ManBurning
11-06-2014, 01:52 PM
It seems like it was just yesterday a new Eminem album dropped, and now he's already back with new music. Gotta admit, I like it when artists work fast like this, but I hope the quick turn around time between records doesn't mean it won't be very solid material.

New "compilation" album to drop later this month. 2 Discs. first disc has new tunes and the second is a collection of classic tracks. Seems like it's a collaboration album with a few other artists called "Shady XV"

details here:
http://www.fuse.tv/2014/08/eminem-new-album-shady-xv

First song from the record:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2pYNk-Gxxk#t=139

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Liking the new song right there. I haven't really given anything Eminem has done since The Eminem Show a good listen, and his last album seemed to be him getting more in touch with his roots so I enjoyed it. I don't really enjoy it when an artist comes out with new material really quickly within a year or a bit over a year. I think the material should give some time to sink in because that is when other tracks or even the feel of that album get forgotten or lost in the mix... unless the previous album just sucked hard.

Vertigo
11-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Eminem did have a ridiculously frequent release rate back in his prime, too.

Speaking of which, my opinion, The Eminem Show represents his best work - anyone else in the same camp?

mrselfdestruct94
11-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Eminem did have a ridiculously frequent release rate back in his prime, too.

Speaking of which, my opinion, The Eminem Show represents his best work - anyone else in the same camp?

I would have to say The Marshall Mathers LP is my favorite. It's very dark, very personal, and the emotional weight throughout every track resonates even to this day. The Eminem Show is a very good album. In my opinion, it's a step down from MMLP, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10, and it's overrall a damn good record, but when compared to how near perfect the previous album was, it simply doesn't reach the same heights.

Haven't really enjoyed any Eminem albums since The Eminem Show. Encore was meh, I couldn't get into Relapse, Recovery felt more fresh but I listened to it three times and was done, and The Marshall Mathers LP 2 felt like a forced attempt to capture the feel of the glory days, ultimately falling flat and being a disappointment considering all the positive reviews and hype surrounding the release.

Vertigo
11-07-2014, 03:24 AM
MMLP does maintain a consistently high level of quality through nearly all of its tracks, but it's so nasty and brutal that it can make for difficult listening - I have to be in the right mood. The Eminem Show has every bit of the emotional depth in my opinion, almost matches it for wit, and has a bit more variety. It's also totally unique, nobody else will ever make an album like that.

What I don't like about Eminem's more recent material is that it seems he's just trying to rap as quickly as possible; back in the day he'd take his time, making the lyrics memorable (plus, they tended to be more clever). I prefer the dirtier, simpler, more hooky Dre-esque production style of the older songs, too. Recovery wasn't bad though.

NotinCnStopMeNow
08-29-2017, 08:15 PM
https://goo.gl/images/XfvWmkHis new logo looks familiar...

Space Suicide
08-29-2017, 08:15 PM
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/webkit-fake-url://3af8de03-271e-4077-8695-44567f0f4a27/imagepng His new logo looks familiar...

Stealing The Riddler's logo?

Boots
08-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Eminem is the only rap artist I listen to.

bobbie solo
08-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Eminem is the only rap artist I listen to.

try harder. here's one of the greatest songs ever made, with arguably the best beat of all time in rap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONgL61snlM

AndItKeepsRepeating
08-30-2017, 03:51 AM
try harder. here's one of the greatest songs ever made, with arguably the best beat of all time in rap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONgL61snlM

BRB going to play NBA STREET

elevenism
08-30-2017, 06:00 AM
Does the new logo suggest the possibility of a new record coming soon?

Also, as much as I LOVE Em, he's always been a little hit and miss imho (ass like that is a MISS, for instance.)
I never listen to his albums straight through. I make my own compilations.

Finally, Boots , that's a damn crying shame. Get you some of this right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRV6G1xQBRA it's got Saul Williams. You can thank me later.

sonic_discord
08-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Does the new logo suggest the possibility of a new record coming soon?

That logo that someone posted yesterday is NOT new. He's been using that for about 4 years (since 2013). Even the image link says so. There IS supposedly a new album in the works, including a track that he and Dre were working on in the recording studio together.

bobbie solo
08-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Finally, @Boots (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5779) , that's a damn crying shame. Get you some of this right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRV6G1xQBRA it's got Saul Williams. You can thank me later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdcNoGmt7Ws

Kendrick destroyed everyone a few years back with this verse.

thevoid99
10-10-2017, 11:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LunHybOKIjU

cashpiles (closed)
10-11-2017, 02:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LunHybOKIjU

I found his rhymes weak

Krazy
10-11-2017, 02:46 PM
I found his rhymes weak

Yeah, thought he couldve done better. Also doubt it's an actual "freestyle". Pretty sure it wasn't made up on the fly, seemed staged.

elevenism
12-14-2017, 10:13 PM
So Revival leaked.

I'm hearing mixed reviews.
As for me, i didn't like Walk on Water at first, but then it grew on me.

Untouchable: i like what he's saying, but goddamn, he keeps talking about "us" as though he's fucking black. He talks about the cop being a "rock star," but it occurred to me that Em is LITERALLY a white rock star. So seriously, what the fuck does he know about being black? I know he lived in black neighborhoods, but so did i. in fact, i've lived WITH black folks in four or five living situations in my life, but i've goddamn sure never had the audacity to claim that i know what it's like to actually BE black. I understand that he's playing a role on this track, but it's still kinda cringey for me.

I still look forward to hearing the album though. IMHO, Em belongs in the GOAT conversation for sure: he's just so goddamn good at the craft of rhyming.
Also, i'm hearing rumors that this is seriously going to be the man's last album, so i feel like i ought to thoughtfully listen to it as he's made such a massive fucking mark on the culture of my (i'm 37) generation. He seems fucking addicted to both the work and the attention though, so i doubt it will REALLY be his last album.
It's interesting that guys like him and Hova are pushing 50. I wonder when they will stop?

So have you guys heard the record yet?

Krazy
12-14-2017, 10:51 PM
I just heard a new song on the radio. Collaboration with Ed Sheerhan (or however you spell his name). Song was titled Rivers I think.

Yeah, uhh... no.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-15-2017, 04:15 AM
Album is straight up trash...with a few songs are that worthy, this gives Encore a run for it's money. Ugh.

elevenism
12-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Ah, it ain't great but it's not that bad either.

Arcspiral
12-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Yup, this record is a turd. Gonna give it a few more chances, but it basically sounds like the vocal delivery of Encore with the rap-pop structure of Recovery. Pretty damn boring IMO.

I don't understand why Dre wasn't involved on the music side. Production-wise, this album is really lackluster. Even the Just Blaze track falls flat. There isn't a memorable beat on the entire album, save the Rick Rubin track where he samples Joan Jett, but I've personally always hated that song so meh. The whole thing is really sloppy, boring and forgettable.

cashpiles (closed)
12-15-2017, 06:26 PM
In Eminem’a heydey, an eNINem collaboration album would have been sick..... when Eminem would have been able to get really dark and brutal...and Trent Reznor could match his production and song-writing to Eminem’s world.

Eminem - Revival:

The chorus to Believe sucks. The verses are strong.

I deleted a song from the album’s playlist. It was a song with such an annoying chorus... he kept stretching his voice in this other song... really great sound and technical ability. Chloroseptic is kind of good overall because of flow.. but Eminem feels afraid.

Rock Star has a great verse. The chorus is funny as hell....dissing this certain type of white boy.

Rock Star’s verses are epic. Best verses in music I’ve heard in a long time. The real Eminem appears in the coda. He’s portraying the part of a black person in America. If his portrayal is true, it’s interesting that American pop culture portrays black people in much the same way. The influence of American pop culture on World culture should not be underestimated. But is the portrayal of black people in pop culture the whole story? What influence does racial bias have on the portrayal of black people in American popular culture?

Eminem and Rick Rubin are geniuses to do a rap song with I Love Rock n’ Roll by Joan Jett

The song Revival sounds like a gospel song for white people...weird......who is it for?

This album is going to sell millions. 2 awful songs threaten to ruin the experience.

EDIT: I WAS HIGH WHEN I WROTE THIS REVIEW. THERE ARE MORE THAN 2 BAD SONGS... THERE ARE LIKE 4 OR 5 BAD SONGS. ...AND THEN THERE ARE LIKE 4-5 REALLY GOOD SONGS.... THE REST ARE MEDIOCRE..

LIKE HOME HAS A GOD-AWFUL CHORUS. BELIEVE HAS A GOD-AWFUL CHORUS... This is where many of these songs are faltering... shit choruses.

EDIT 2:

There are a handful of songs here that would make an incredible EP. He could have called it REVIVAL EP and had people salivating about what a full album of songs like that could have been... instead... we have a 5-Star Michelin Grade dish topped with poop.

r_z
12-16-2017, 03:37 AM
In Eminem’a heydey, an eNINem collaboration album would have been sick..... when Eminem would have been able to get really dark and brutal...
Good god, with the amount of seriousness/humorlosness involved in such a collaboration, my cd-player would have never survived...

Merriweather
12-16-2017, 08:33 PM
I liked it more on the 2nd listen through. A couple good songs. A bunch of forgettable songs. It just seems repetitious at this point. He's back to songs about him and Kim and how they love each other, but just can't be in a relationship. Or songs about how he was an addict and almost died, but pulled through. Those were already on Recovery, which was a better album.

Louie_Cypher
12-16-2017, 08:42 PM
so far every one pre-order from iTunes has been a dud except i can't believe I'm typing this Taylor swift oh and foo-fighters, still trying to figure out how pre-oder payment works, with expected release date i know they don't bill you when you pre-order pre-ordered a Hendrix album still trying to wrap my head around that.
-Louie

Krazy
12-16-2017, 09:08 PM
I liked it more on the 2nd listen through. A couple good songs. A bunch of forgettable songs. It just seems repetitious at this point. He's back to songs about him and Kim and how they love each other, but just can't be in a relationship. Or songs about how he was an addict and almost died, but pulled through. Those were already on Recovery, which was a better album.

Just got into the first few songs. Don’t forget the “woe is me, I’m past my prime, people have forgotten about me already, blah blah blah” angle he’s done since at least 8 Mile.

So far not hideous, not good either though. I’m tired of all the “pop” collaborations he’s done over the years though- at a certain point it becomes watered down.

so far every one pre-order from iTunes has been a dud except i can't believe I'm typing this Taylor swift oh and foo-fighters, still trying to figure out how pre-oder payment works, with expected release date i know they don't bill you when you pre-order pre-ordered a Hendrix album still trying to wrap my head around that.
-Louie

^^^ Brah, you’ve been drinking?...

(I’m not one to judge, heh)

Pillfred
12-16-2017, 11:13 PM
Heard it three times at work today because boss man is all up on his nuts. Nothing really grabbed me about it, granted i was working so i wasn't giving it full attention and i knew i'd be hearing it for the foreseeable future. I don't wan't to say it's bad, however it just felt a bit flat.

HWB
12-22-2017, 02:42 AM
Castle -> Arose is amazing, don't care about the rest

sonic_discord
12-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Castle -> Arose is amazing, don't care about the rest

I've read two reviews that specifically call out those two tracks as being the cream of the crop, as well.

Dryalex12
12-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Im not gonna lie............I kinda like Encore

cashpiles (closed)
12-22-2017, 11:44 PM

I’m also not gonna lie.....I like Relapse... lots of dark humour and sick beats and personas... I wish Eminem would do multiple personas again... The only one he still uses sometimes is his 30s era gangster persona... I like that one...

To me, Relapse was solid.

thelastdisciple
12-23-2017, 01:04 AM
It had some diamonds in the rough.

Like Toy Soldiers and Mosh are a couple favorites.

sonic_discord
12-23-2017, 01:44 AM
I also like Relapse. It took a few years for me to appreciate a lot of it, though. I barely ever listen to anything from Encore, that's easily my least favorite album Em has put out. Regarding Revival, I don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone in the comments all over Facebook makes it out to be (like every comment I see is someone saying it's absolute garbage. It's not one of his better albums, but it has some pretty good songs on it. I've only listened to it about 1.5 times, but I already know I like it more than Encore. I do get a little annoyed with his newer style of choppy vocal delivery. Also, the obligatory Rick Rubin-produced song that's set to a sample of a classic rock song is wearing a little thin already. Still, I don't think it's bad. I must say I AM disappointed in the lack of Dr. Dre on this album. I remember seeing an article earlier this year that said they were recording together, yet he doesn't appear on the album. That's probably the biggest let-down for me, I was hoping for at least one song with him featured on it.

burnmotherfucker!
12-23-2017, 06:19 AM
Kind of surprised by this thread's existence and had to drop a comment. I've wondered before but just assumed there weren't many crossover NIN/Eminem fans just because of the vast differences in the music but glad to see I was wrong. Strangely, the two are connected in my mind in a number of coincidental ways. For example, they are both my go to artists for when I work out. NIN gets played for anaerobic exercises and Em for cardio. They also were both in with interscope and their logos are pretty much the same damn idea. They also both let early fame/extensive touring and perfectionism ruin their personal lives and became addicted to drugs only to turn it around later and end up putting out plenty of material after getting sober and staying sober.

Anyways, I'm with the small minority here that kind of like encore. Is it the best? No, but its just fun. Rainman is one of the most ridiculous funny songs ever to me. Relapse, while heavy on accents, is a genius album when it comes to wordplay and I've always thought it would make a great animated movie. As for the new record, I understand why some people can't stand it but I think at this point if someones not already an Em fan they're probably not going to be. Is it true that some of the hooks are subpar? Yes. Would it be infinitely better if Dre produced instead of Rubin? Absolutely! Is it some sort of innovative musical revelation? NO! If people are listening to Em's music for a steady beat to bob their head to at a party then I think they're doing it wrong. Eminem's strength is and has always been his insane wordplay. He's the best at bending words and phrases and coming up with double entendres and doing it in such a passionate, hysterical, or humorous way that it takes repeat listens to fully appreciate. Which reminds me of something else people who hate Eminem always seem to not understand, the guy is a comedian too. A juvenile sense of humor but one that is self aware. Much of the controversy he has stirred up over the years usually results from people not being in on the joke. I think this is due to the fact that he makes serious songs as well so it actually takes a good ear for casual listeners to catch what is real and what is said for the sake of insane wordplay and entertainment value. Both of those aspects are prevalent on Revival and as long as they are I'll be a fan. Would I prefer it over Dre instrumentals and non-pop hooks? Yep, but I can't let those things deter my enjoyment of one of the world's best wordsmiths.

Also, someone above commented about what if Trent and Marshall had worked together and it got me thinking. I watched some of "defiant ones" documentary and how crazy would it have been to have had a joint album with both Trent and Dre producing and performing along with Manson and Eminem? I mean I think it would either end up a complete disaster or the best thing that ever happened. Maybe both. One can dream anyway.

r_z
12-23-2017, 07:52 AM
I kinda like Encore too! He's a great rapper ->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPdSqttLsvs

Dryalex12
12-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Encore to me is like....kinda a fun album. Em doesn't have to always write genius level lyrics, why cant he have fun and just dick around? Nothing says he can't. While it's not perfect, I feel like...people kinda take it to serious.......kinda like how people take his insults to serious

bobbie solo
12-24-2017, 03:37 AM
I kinda like Encore too! He's a great rapper ->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPdSqttLsvs

underrated album.

Space Suicide
12-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Encore to me is like....kinda a fun album. Em doesn't have to always write genius level lyrics, why cant he have fun and just dick around? Nothing says he can't. While it's not perfect, I feel like...people kinda take it to serious.......kinda like how people take his insults to serious

It was released after the phenomenal Eminem Show so I get it.

Ass Like That still makes me laugh.

Rdm
12-25-2017, 11:49 AM
I think the rhymes are fine it's the hooks that are terrible, but the production is on point. I'm also on the side, minority, that thinks recovery is his best album to date, I cant stand when he raps about celebrities and makes joke songs. I like the songs where he's more serious such as Till I collapse, the Bezino diss track, The Way I Am, Kim, Renegade...... I thought Recovery was in the same vain with more serious type of flow. Pitchfork Review on Recovery was terrible and Objectively wrong ,LOL,and it kind of felt like they did the review as sheeps. Fuck those guys they reviewed Kanye's MBDTF a perfect 10 and gave Recovery a 1. Pitchfork has terrible taste in rap/Hip Hop

Krazy
01-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Anyone ever seen Eminem live? I (mostly) love what he’s done with his career, but the handful of live clips I watched there doesn’t seem to be a band (a hype man, yes) and he just plays over the complete track. Basically it seems like he sucks live, lol. Thoughts?...

Dryalex12
01-14-2018, 03:55 PM
So I gave Revival a listen. Im pretty indifferent on it...but when i got to Framed, I about lost it at the chorus

But hey man, I was
FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMED
I know what this looks like, officers
Please just give me one minute
I think I can ex
PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIINNNNNNN
I ain’t murdered nobody
I know these words are so nutty
But I’m just here to ent
TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIINNNN
How come your shirt is so bloody?
There’s a missing person, so what? He’s
Got nothin’ to do with
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHH
I’m almost certain I was fraaaaaaaaamed

ryanmcfly
08-31-2018, 09:03 AM
Eminem dropped a surprise album last night entitled Kamikaze. Four songs in, so much better than Revival.

Haysey_Draws
08-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Well this was a surprise!

Krazy
08-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Liscense To Ill cover. Da fack?

https://twitter.com/eminem/status/1035379283554983938?s=21

bobbie solo
08-31-2018, 02:30 PM
called Tyler the Creator a fa**#t, people are pissed. Must be nice to spend all your time on twitter being outraged.

Conan The Barbarian
08-31-2018, 02:52 PM
called Tyler the Creator a fa**#t, people are pissed. Must be nice to spend all your time on twitter being outraged.

They obviously forgot the nature of a "diss" track.

elevenism
08-31-2018, 03:40 PM
I FINALLY have Revival a listen and I liked some of it. It's nowhere near as bad as people were saying.

Although I DID say that he needed to release one more, better album.

And now this. Interesting.

I love Tyler though. I hope this beef is over soon and Em is on one of his tracks. Eminem is obviously a BIG ass influences on OF.

Krazy
08-31-2018, 08:14 PM
Album is pretty “meh” thus far. Nothing’s sticking for me, unlike something as recent as Marshall Mathers II.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
08-31-2018, 09:32 PM
Time for Em to go to the old rapper retirement home. Its all over....Go hang out with LL Cool J and Kool Moe Dee and Snoop and reminisce about the good old days.....

loopcloses
08-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Album's, uh, alright. The first track was really good, there were some great verses here and there, but the whole thing doesn't really feel coherent and feels more like a mixtape--just a very big budget one with a bullshit movie ad at the end. There's definitely a few out-and-out stinkers in the mix too. Revival convinced me that Em is just out of touch and he's too isolated by extreme wealth and fame to really get his finger back on the pulse. Too for-profit and image-concerned to compete with more underground stuff, too concerned with proving himself with lyrical acrobatics to compete with the mainstream hip-hop. His roasting ability is really his finest asset now--hearing him spoof the triplet-flow that's the big thing in shitty derivative hip-hop nowadays was fun.

Krazy
08-31-2018, 11:52 PM
reminisce about the good old days.....

He actually does that in a lot of his lyrics now!

thelastdisciple
09-01-2018, 02:30 AM
I took one pass through on Kamikaze so far, nothing production-wise really stood out for me... kind of boring in that department. I do like however that the album is less commercialized with pop artists like Pink and Ed Sheeran, that's a step in the right direction. Some great verses peppered about and i LOVE hearing him shit all over mumble rap but yeah I'm not sure how much I'll feel like listening to this one.

ManBurning
09-01-2018, 03:28 PM
I took one pass through on Kamikaze so far, nothing production-wise really stood out for me... kind of boring in that department. I do like however that the album is less commercialized with pop artists like Pink and Ed Sheeran, that's a step in the right direction. Some great verses peppered about and i LOVE hearing him shit all over mumble rap but yeah I'm not sure how much I'll feel like listening to this one.

It's very boring. It's him just rapping over very basic beats. His rapping is top notch, and I like his lyrics, but there aren't any catchy hooks and the music is very sub-par and under-produced. It's like he turned on fruity loops and grabbed a book of lyrics, started freestyling and recorded this in a weekend.

I kind of like the more commercialized emenim. "Stepping Stone" is the best track on this record, because it strays away from the formula of the rest of the songs.
MMLP2 was a FANTASTIC return to form. I don't know what happened. After a few dud's (relapse, recovery) he back back strong, but everything after MMLP2 he has been phoning it in.

thelastdisciple
09-01-2018, 06:56 PM
I miss when Eminem had other rappers feature on his songs, is he afraid of being outshined on his own tracks now or what? where's Dr. Dre? where's Xzibit? where's Snoop Dogg? No 50 Cent or The Game or Obie Trice anymore? I wish Nate Dogg was still alive and killing it on his choruses. About the only notable dude on his albums lately is Royce and he's awesome but I'd love to see more guests.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-01-2018, 09:26 PM
It's very boring. It's him just rapping over very basic beats. His rapping is top notch, and I like his lyrics, but there aren't any catchy hooks and the music is very sub-par and under-produced. It's like he turned on fruity loops and grabbed a book of lyrics, started freestyling and recorded this in a weekend.

I kind of like the more commercialized emenim. "Stepping Stone" is the best track on this record, because it strays away from the formula of the rest of the songs.
MMLP2 was a FANTASTIC return to form. I don't know what happened. After a few dud's (relapse, recovery) he back back strong, but everything after MMLP2 he has been phoning it in.

I agree with the first half, but for me, the commercialized Em is not my cup of tea. When he sings melody, I cringe pretty hard and cannot even listen to it. Funny because Stepping Stone is probably my least favorite song on the album. I love the beat, but it sounds so washed out with the production and the chorus ruined it for me. I do agree with the latter part of your post with everything after MMLP2 being lackluster for sure. This album is very inconsistent, but it does have its standouts like the opening track (Phew, had to catch my breath at that mid way point) Fall, Lucky You, and Not Alike are fantastic.

I can easily say I like this much better than Revival. He shows glimpses on every album post The Eminem Show that he still has it with a track here and there... but I find myself skipping almost more than half of every album.

thelastdisciple
09-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Does anyone listen to or like Machine Gun Kelly? This is his Eminem diss track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sNCyiyIc_8

Dryalex12
09-04-2018, 10:19 AM
welp. send prayers to MGK, cuz he's a dead man

kaydraven
09-05-2018, 11:16 AM
I've only listened to the new LP once and I will say it's better than Revival. I'm not sure how I feel about it outside of that honestly. A good chunk of the album impressed me, while the rest of it left me feeling meh.

ryanmcfly
09-05-2018, 11:36 AM
I like a couple of his features, but generally have found MGK to be meh at best. Rally hope Em does a full diss track.

Callahan
09-14-2018, 02:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxQTY-W6GIo

tony.parente
09-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Fucking accused Diddy of putting a hit out on Pac.

YIKES

elevenism
09-14-2018, 06:14 PM

RIP, MGK.
Hahahaha
I actually like mgk but em just murdered him

Prettybrokenspiral
09-14-2018, 07:03 PM
Em's shit is WEAK. His insults are cartoonishly bad and it's just more of the same rhyming-words-for-the-sake-of-rhyming bullshit he's been doing since Encore. Hilarious how he just backpedaled yesterday about calling Tyler the Creator a faggot, and yet here he is hurling homophobic insults at this dude the next..

People will give Em the sympathy vote but MGK murdered him on that Labor Day diss and he just sounds like he's flailing here. A desperate middle aged rapper getting scorched by a hungrier performer. They're both idiots, but yea...this has nothing on that MGK diss.

bobbie solo
09-14-2018, 11:32 PM

Fatality.

Dryalex12
09-15-2018, 03:37 AM
Em's shit is WEAK. His insults are cartoonishly bad and it's just more of the same rhyming-words-for-the-sake-of-rhyming bullshit he's been doing since Encore. Hilarious how he just backpedaled yesterday about calling Tyler the Creator a faggot, and yet here he is hurling homophobic insults at this dude the next..

People will give Em the sympathy vote but MGK murdered him on that Labor Day diss and he just sounds like he's flailing here. A desperate middle aged rapper getting scorched by a hungrier performer. They're both idiots, but yea...this has nothing on that MGK diss.

Are you drunk?

ManBurning
09-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Are you drunk?

Must be. This shit was on fire. Blew Kelly's diss out of the water.

elevenism
09-15-2018, 01:48 PM

You know I love you. But EM'S insults are weak? He fucking murdered MGK.

And I'm a big MGK fan.

But Jesus dude. Em's shots are weaker than "your beard's weird?" Weaker than " you're the greatest rapper alive but you're a dweeb? " or whatever kels said? REALLY?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Yea, I have to agree with the masses here. MGK was surprisingly good, but EM straight up slaughtered. I had to listen to EM's track a few times because I literally didn't know everything that he was referencing which is the separation for me. I give it to MGK for at least trying :D

Jinsai
09-15-2018, 04:08 PM
I generally think rap battles are stupid, but Eminem destroyed this coattail riding dipshit.

09-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Wish one of these dudes would diss Ice Cube, so Cube can slaughter them....BTW Cube dissed Em back in 2010 and Em never responded...Didnt wanna fuck with the G.O.A.T. Ice Cube

elevenism
09-16-2018, 02:08 AM
Ok so I just gotta say: while Eminem is an incredible MC, I've NEVER really been into ANY of his whole albums.
Idk what it is. I like a lot of his songs; I make like mix cds of his tracks. And his rapping skills are fucking unreal.

But there's just something about ALL of his records that I don't really feel.
I mean they're GOOD, just not something I would listen to regularly.

So while em might be the best technical rapper with the most skills, I've never got into a single one of his albums they way I have Jay Z or Busta Rhymes or Outkast or the Fugees or MF DOOM, or, hell, even Tyler, The Creator.

I can't put my finger on what it is.

Rdm
09-16-2018, 02:08 AM
EDIT- I literally almost said the exact same thing a page ago. Literally LOL

I honestly think Eminem’s new material is better than all his old material, even the marshall mathers LP. I never like the jokie style of rap, I prefef the style of rap when he’s “ riding beat.” All his old albums you could see the potential like - Till I collapse, fight music, Renegade, Kim, and all his rap battles you get to see how talented he really is. I really disliked the Pitchfork review of recovery- the album was incredible but the stereotypical hipster will tell you it’s trash, it’s ass, FACTS- They should kill a YouTuber every time the word FACTS is said.:rolleyes: JK

elevenism
09-16-2018, 03:30 AM
EDIT- I literally almost said the exact same thing a page ago. Literally LOL

Yeah dude, ha. I think the "joke songs" and "rapping about celebrities" is a big part of the problem.

Renegade is where it's at, indeed.

My, how i'd love a dark ass album full of Jay Z/Eminem collabs like that.

Prettybrokenspiral
09-16-2018, 10:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6oF39GslM

LMFAO a fake Eminem diss track that apparently posted three days before that weak ass Killshot diss and absolutely smokes MGK at the same time. And people actually thought Killshot was one of the greatest diss tracks of all time? The fuck out of here..

This speaks volumes about how far Eminem has fallen, when a random fan can respond with a far superior diss track days ahead of the official one and does it way better. The mere thought that a fan can do Eminem better than Eminem can these days is sad beyond belief, lmao..

elevenism
09-16-2018, 03:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6oF39GslM

LMFAO a fake Eminem diss track that apparently posted three days before that weak ass Killshot diss and absolutely smokes MGK at the same time
The random fan you're talking about is Denace, and he's a strange dude. That's WHAT HE DOES: rap EXACTLY like Eminem, more or less.

I thought his track was pretty good.
You really think it was better than Killshot though?

Eminem can still rap his ass off.
I'm actually an MGK fan.
And I'm not some Eminem fanatic.

But, again, I feel that Eminem bodied MGK.

Magtig
09-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Kamikaze is okay, but Eminem's obsession with his own bubble has become exhausting. His recently published four part interview with Sway on youtube confirms he's myopically chasing his own tail. Yeah, we get it, best-selling [white] rapper of all time, you're an outsider under siege. You don't really need to prove your technical prowess anymore. We are all sufficiently impressed, even the people who don't like you. As I listened to the new record, I couldn't help but think he's demonstrated an ability with narrative and empathy (Stan) on a number of occasions. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear him rapping about, you know, life, and maybe even inventing characters, etc. It would also be a breath of fresh air to hear him actually articulate an evolution on misogyny and homophobia, two things I'm convinced he knows better about, but exploits in order to push people's buttons. For fuck sake, put down the vanity mirror, and let us see you in a place a vulnerability: growing as a person and artist instead of all the posturing and unconvincing arrested development. Eminem's skills are undeniable, but he manages to be mostly boring despite them, and it's a shame.

brotha52
09-16-2018, 05:05 PM
For fuck sake, put down the vanity mirror, and let us see you in a place a vulnerability: growing as a person and artist instead of all the posturing and unconvincing arrested development.
Sounds like you should be listening to Atmosphere.

Jinsai
09-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Sounds like you should be listening to Atmosphere.

Nobody should be listening to Atmosphere...

And I gotta disagree with Prettybrokenspiral there... that Eminem clone guy's track fucking sucked and I felt embarrassed listening to it.

Mantra
09-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Kamikaze is okay, but Eminem's obsession with his own bubble has become exhausting. His recently published four part interview with Sway on youtube confirms he's myopically chasing his own tail. Yeah, we get it, best-selling [white] rapper of all time, you're an outsider under siege. You don't really need to prove your technical prowess anymore. We are all sufficiently impressed, even the people who don't like you. As I listened to the new record, I couldn't help but think he's demonstrated an ability with narrative and empathy (Stan) on a number of occasions. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear him rapping about, you know, life, and maybe even inventing characters, etc. It would also be a breath of fresh air to hear him actually articulate an evolution on misogyny and homophobia, two things I'm convinced he knows better about, but exploits in order to push people's buttons. For fuck sake, put down the vanity mirror, and let us see you in a place a vulnerability: growing as a person and artist instead of all the posturing and unconvincing arrested development. Eminem's skills are undeniable, but he manages to be mostly boring despite them, and it's a shame.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. Such a good post.

To be honest, I'm kind of skeptical that we'll ever see another great Eminem album again. He seems to live a very unusual, isolated life. I remember reading some article a few years back, and they described him living behind a wall of security in what was basically a big compound. It's not really his fault, because he's a celebrity and also because he has to vigilantly protect his sobriety, which for him means staying home and chilling. But still, the guy has spent years living a somewhat detached and "unnatural" life. I just don't see how he can rap about anything that people can relate to. It doesn't feel like he's immersed in our world anymore. He's in a very different place and he has no access to us.

This isn't unique to him, btw, it's a problem that all celebrity artists have to deal with.

Krazy
09-16-2018, 09:25 PM
To be honest, I'm kind of skeptical that we'll ever see another great Eminem album again.

This isn't unique to him, btw, it's a problem that all celebrity artists have to deal with.

Agreed, it’s not isolated to one musician/band/artist/rapper/etc. Most have a time window and it’s what they do with it. I don’t see many bands put out their best material 15-20 years into their careers.

Ice Cube was mentioned in this thread by someone, and I love for what he’s contributed in the past. But WTF has he done musically recently? A lot of nothing, and some crappy movies.

Magtig
09-17-2018, 01:12 AM
It doesn't feel like he's immersed in our world anymore. He's in a very different place and he has no access to us.

True for the most part, but he does have access to books, documentaries, other elite creatives, therapists, and unlimited resources. There are plenty of ways he could step outside his paradigm.

Pillfred
09-17-2018, 02:33 AM
I agree with the above posts that he isn't what he once was. I disagree with the Denise thing, 12 year old kids pull of excellent covers of songs. I feel like Kamikaze is a step in the right direction, possibly.

Also, am I the only one that hears nods to Ice-T on his earlier albums?

elevenism
09-17-2018, 10:31 AM
I think em's problem is like, I guess, basically insecurity?

I mean look at Hova. Magna Carta Holy Grail kind of flopped.

But did Hova go on some sort of offensive? Hell no. He eventually put out the mature and introspective 4:44 and keeps touring with Beyonce etc.

Could you imagine Jay Z picking a fight with Earl Sweatshirt or some shit?

Idk.

Someone was saying, and I don't remember where, but I think it's true: if Eminem saw himself the way the world sees him, he wouldn't be acting like this.

This constantly trying to prove himself and starting shit with everyone at 46 is just kind of fucking awkward.

Edit: I'm still laughing every time I think of "SON. Stan. Dad's . Not. Mad. But." though. Hahaha

Mantra
09-17-2018, 05:33 PM
True for the most part, but he does have access to books, documentaries, other elite creatives, therapists, and unlimited resources. There are plenty of ways he could step outside his paradigm.
Yeah, good point. Not to mention, he's got the internet, which basically IS our world these days.

09-18-2018, 03:19 AM
Agreed, it’s not isolated to one musician/band/artist/rapper/etc. Most have a time window and it’s what they do with it. I don’t see many bands put out their best material 15-20 years into their careers.

Ice Cube was mentioned in this thread by someone, and I love for what he’s contributed in the past. But WTF has he done musically recently? A lot of nothing, and some crappy movies.

Cube took himself out of the game musically by not releasing any albums for 8 years. Something Eminem should have done instead of embarrassing himself with His recent solo output....Every now and then Cube drops a new song to remind everyone that he is still the goat....Case in point, this song he dropped last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKRLZSzCXA

This goes harder than anything Eminem has done in the past decade

Krazy
09-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Cube took himself out of the game musically by not releasing any albums for 8 years. Something Eminem should have done instead of embarrassing himself with His recent solo output....Every now and then Cube drops a new song to remind everyone that he is still the goat....Case in point, this song he dropped last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKRLZSzCXA

This goes harder than anything Eminem has done in the past decade

Yeah, Eminem maybe should maybe take time off and act in some shitty fam-com movies!

I love Ice Cube BTW, but your just trolling now. And no, I don’t think Kill Shit was very good. Musicians careers are weird- they more often than not peak at some point and live off that legacy- and there’s nothing wrong with that.

09-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Yeah, Eminem maybe should maybe take time off and act in some shitty fam-com movies!

I love Ice Cube BTW, but your just trolling now. And no, I don’t think Kill Shit was very good. Musicians careers are weird- they more often than not peak at some point and live off that legacy- and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I agree Cubes movie choices have been odd...Friday was great and he did this thriller Dangerous Ground in the late 90s that was cool....But ever since then, it seems like he just wants a paycheck and takes mainstream shit....But you gotta respect that he is trying to make it as a business mogul, rather than disappear and count his millions like Dre or embarrass himself and becoming a meme like Snoop

bobbie solo
09-19-2018, 12:21 AM
MGK looking a bit silly now. Dumb move.

elevenism
09-19-2018, 03:36 AM
MGK looking a bit silly now. Dumb move.
The Fall Out Boy photo you mean?
Hahahahaha
Yeah.
Jesus.

Haysey_Draws
09-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Just started looking through this thread to see what people thought of the new record, and i keep seeing KGK mentioned...i have literally no idea who that is and never heard of them...and by the sounds of it i don't think i want too lol

elevenism
12-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Jesus christ, did you guys hear the new freestyle? The wordplay is unreal and the rhyme schemes are supernatty like, but what in the FUCK?

He's rapping about kidnapping a girl and feeding her roofies, how he goes hard like the SUICIDE BOMBER from the ariana Grande show, he says fa**ot again.

Why is he so fucking angry? Like, back in the day, with songs like Kill You, you at least felt like he was kind of joking. Why is he so fucking angry now? Who the fuck is he even talking to?

My wife (who is a huge fan) and I both had mixed feelings: his technical skill is incredible, but the content is fucking ROUGH.

Edit: also, it would be different if I honestly thought he just didn't give a fuck. But I feel like that isn't the case, and this shit is carefully calculated, so it's like, WHY?

ManBurning
01-17-2020, 05:19 AM
Eminem just dropped a surprise album.

https://kingdom-leaks.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://is2-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music113/v4/81/2b/c8/812bc810-b309-2e44-5b1a-fefdd7e45b00/source/600x600bb.jpg&key=ef6ab893b48c01fbbb9a3c8d87b4cc3f2f8f36c7d363ec a04097faa597dc2265

Tracklist:
01. Premonition (Intro) (2:53)
02. Unaccommodating (feat. Young M.A) (3:36)
03. You Gon' Learn (feat. Royce da 5'9" & White Gold) (3:54)
04. Alfred (Interlude) (0:30)
05. Those Kinda Nights (feat. Ed Sheeran) (2:57)
06. In Too Deep (3:14)
07. Godzilla (feat. Juice WRLD) (3:30)
08. Darkness (5:37)
09. Leaving Heaven (feat. Skylar Grey) (4:25)
10. Yah Yah (feat. Royce Da 5'9", Black Thought, Q-Tip & Denaun) (4:46)
11. Stepdad (Intro) (0:15)
12. Stepdad (3:33)
13. Marsh (3:20)
14. Never Love Again (2:57)
15. Little Engine (2:57)
16. Lock It Up (feat. Anderson .Paak) (2:50)
17. Farewell (4:07)
18. No Regrets (feat. Don Toliver) (3:20)
19. I Will (feat. KXNG Crooked, Royce da 5'9" & Joell Ortiz) (5:02)
20. Alfred (Outro) (0:39)

mfte
01-17-2020, 09:15 AM
I'm not a big Eminem fan but I listened to the first 14 songs and this feels like the most solid material he's put out in years.
I don't remember him yelling rapping once. Godzilla and Marsh are the standout tracks for me.

But what will Fantano say about it?

ryanmcfly
01-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Digging it so far. I really loved Kamikaze too. Feels like it's a natural progression from that one so far.

tony.parente
01-17-2020, 09:21 AM
The Darkness video is fucking crazy.

sonic_discord
01-17-2020, 02:19 PM
I was just saying this morning to a co-worker that this feels like a return to form for him. It reminds me a lot of Recovery, but I'm glad he's back to sounding more like his old self again. Revival was disappointing, Kamikaze was a big improvement, but still felt a little underwhelming to me. This is the best album since Marshall Mathers LP 2 for sure.

ManBurning
01-17-2020, 02:40 PM
Eminem always seems to Ebb and Flow for some reason. He'll put out a great record, and his next one will suck. It's odd how inconsistent an artist can be.

Either way, I haven't listened to the full thing yet (since I found it at 3:30am last night before going to bed and now just woke up, heh) but I listened to some of the tracks that were getting praise (Godzilla, Darkness, I will) and enjoyed all of them so far. Which is hell of a lot more than I can say for Kamikaze. I liked 1 song off that record.

snaapz
01-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Fun fact: A few days ago I was talking with my wife about Eminem (who we both like)... I said "the ole Marshall Mathers".

She said ... ohhh is that why he is Eminem? M&M? Marshall Mathers? MM?

I was like :confused::eek: Mmmmmaybe?!?!?

ManBurning
01-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Just finished the record. This is actually some really good stuff.

thelastdisciple
01-17-2020, 05:26 PM
Haven't listened yet but took a look at the track listing, Ed Sheeran is awful why can't Eminem bring back the people he used to work with like Akon or what happened to the other rappers like Obie Trice, did they all fall out? At least Em still fucks with Royce.

EDIT: God damn it, i just realized i said almost the same thing a couple pages back.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/287-Eminem-The-Slim-Shady-Thread?p=427127#post427127