PDA

View Full Version : Gone Girl (2014)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bloomy1992
12-14-2013, 02:19 PM
As I'm sure some of you are well aware, David Fincher's next movie is Gone Girl and its coming out in early October next year. Given the great relationship he's had with Trent, who thinks that Trent will score the film? I for one hope he finds the time but it might not be possible with the amount of touring he's planning on doing.

onthewall2983
12-14-2013, 05:43 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say TR isn't going to be involved. He's definitely touring next year, who knows how long. Plus this is the kind of project that I'm guessing he'd pass on as the plot sounds more standard Hollywood fare that would probably require a more conventional composer to do anyway. Jeff Beal (from House Of Cards) would be a good choice.

Bloomy1992
12-17-2013, 10:24 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say TR isn't going to be involved. He's definitely touring next year, who knows how long. Plus this is the kind of project that I'm guessing he'd pass on as the plot sounds more standard Hollywood fare that would probably require a more conventional composer to do anyway. Jeff Beal (from House Of Cards) would be a good choice.

I really liked Jeff Beal's score for HOC but i wouldn't be surprised if Fincher used Atticus Ross, given that he's the other half of the award winning duo. He might even go back to Howard Shore who did the music for Se7en, The Game, and Panic Room. Either way i really hope TR finds the time in his schedule for this.

That other guy
01-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Tr does have some open timeframes from now till what Oct?? when movie comes out..Hopefully will work on it , will see movie anyways.

RJK
01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Trent just confirmed that he and Atticus will be scoring this film.

Santos L Halper
01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Trent just confirmed that he and Atticus will be scoring this film.

Very exciting stuff. I did not see this coming at all. Now that it is confirmed it gives us plenty of time to save up for the super deluxe vinyl edition :D

gorast
01-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Holy shit. Time to get excited about film scores again.

And save up for the eighteen different formats it'll be offered on...

sheepdean
01-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Fucking A!
Hope I can afford the vinyl this time...

fortheloveofgod
01-21-2014, 03:34 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/53664-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-will-score-david-finchers-gone-girl/

pwing47
01-21-2014, 05:19 PM
YES. I'm going to lose my mind if he ends up putting out a Bluray/5.1 version, similar to the TSN. (Hardest item to find ever, btw.)

ninlive
01-21-2014, 10:43 PM
I am very very excited for this!! Honestly, having Trent and Atticus scoring movies has made me appreciate the soundtrack/score to a movie even more. When I go to a film now, I pay more attention to the music and how it effects the emotion on screen.

With just reading the premise of the movie, I hope this means there is some Swarmatron action in this one!!!

simonn
01-22-2014, 01:39 AM
So happy there's going to be another soundtrack. Loved the first two, and frankly, anything new from T & A is bound to be all kinds of great.

icklekitty
01-22-2014, 06:24 AM
anything new from T & A is bound to be all kinds of great.

You can never have enough T&A.

I though this film had already come out for some reason?

simonn
01-22-2014, 06:50 AM
You can never have enough T&A.

Glad someone picked up on my juvenile train of thought!

BenAkenobi
01-22-2014, 10:10 AM
I though this film had already come out for some reason?

mixed it up with 47 Ronin?

Reznor2112
01-22-2014, 12:38 PM
YES. I'm going to lose my mind if he ends up putting out a Bluray/5.1 version, similar to the TSN. (Hardest item to find ever, btw.)

It was only hard to find if you didn't purchase it from the nullco website at the beginning. It took me forever to track down the 2 that I have. One sealed, the other open.

As far as Gone Girl, I don't see this getting the same "release" treatment that TSN & TGWTDT scores had...I may be wrong and I hope I am but for some reason I see this getting a standard CD release.

gorast
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Why don't you think it'll get the same treatment as the previous scores? The book was very well-received, so there's going to be a good audience for the film. I hadn't really heard anything about it before this announcement, though.

I'm expecting a TSN-style treatment for it, especially after the GDT deluxe box fiasco. CD, standard vinyl, maybe some other weird format like TSN. But definitely a sampler to build hype. And besides, we're still nine months out from the film's release - we're not going to hear more about this for a while.

pwing47
01-22-2014, 02:15 PM
It was only hard to find if you didn't purchase it from the nullco website at the beginning.

Sadly, because I'm a fool, that's the category I fall into :(

Keeping my eyes open now, though. Can't even locate a good rip online (that being a last resort, of course :)), unless I'm not digging deep enough. Ah well, I will hopefully hear it one day.

theimage13
01-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Good. We're almost a month into 2014 and there hasn't been a single album I already knew I would buy on release day.

Reznor2112
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Sadly, because I'm a fool, that's the category I fall into :(

Keeping my eyes open now, though. Can't even locate a good rip online (that being a last resort, of course :)), unless I'm not digging deep enough. Ah well, I will hopefully hear it one day.

You wont find a "good rip" of the BD audio. You need the actual BD to really experience it. I would ask around int he NIN Marketplace here to see who is selling one.

Deepvoid
01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm not familiar at all with the book nor the movie adaptation.
Should we expect a soundtrack similar to TGWADT or does this story has a different atmosphere/vibe?

fillow
01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
I've only read novel synopsis at Wikipedia and I think we can expect something more similar to Dragon Tattoo score than to Social Network. It's about a guy who can't find his wife and investigates whether he himself killed her.

snaapz
01-27-2014, 12:07 PM
This is great news, personally I really enjoy listening to TSN/Dragon OSTs. Especially while I work (reporting & analytics; boring) I swear that my productivity improves when I listen to the Dragon OST.

butter_hole
01-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Should we expect a soundtrack similar to TGWADT or does this story has a different atmosphere/vibe?

Well it's a story about love, deception, greed, lust and...unbridled enthusiasm.
You see Deepvoid, Billy was a simple country boy. You might say a cockeyed optimist, who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.

Deepvoid
01-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Well it's a story about love, deception, greed, lust and...unbridled enthusiasm.
You see Deepvoid, Billy was a simple country boy. You might say a cockeyed optimist, who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.

Nice Kramer reference.

Arkadin
02-16-2014, 05:58 AM
Hitchcockian, or at least that is the approach I hope Fincher takes. It is difficult to talk about the story without spoiling it, but I expect it will be lighter than the previous two movies. Some potential scenes of humor that could be played more broadly than is written in the book. The composer most associated with Hitchcock is Bernard Herrmann, whose score for Taxi Driver has been mentioned by TR as a favorite.

Prettybrokenspiral
02-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Stoked for this! Hopefully in 2014 we get Gone Girl sndtrk, The Fragile deluxe and Interscope's Greatest Hits package..

ManBurning
02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Stoked for this! Hopefully in 2014 we get Gone Girl sndtrk, The Fragile deluxe and Interscope's Greatest Hits package..

I was almost ready to place money down that the Fragile deluxe re-issue would have dropped this September to go with the 15th anniversary of the album, but based on his recent comments on the new interview posted today in the NIN spotting section (i'll link it down below), I have doubts that this album will not come out now in time for September. He said the mixing and packaging is done, but the other day he found 40 unreleased demos from that era that he might want to include with the package. If that's the case, this release is NOT coming out this fall, he's way too busy. He has to still tour Europe and finish Gone Girl by the fall, which I barely see happening. And if the rumors are true with another supposive US tour this summer, there goes ANY time he had for Gone Girl, let alone The Fragile. I honestly have no idea how this man does it...

New interview from 3news is up.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Trent-Reznor-on-40-unreleased-demos-NZ-tour-Gone-Girl-Grammys/tabid/418/articleID/332710/Default.aspx

That other guy
02-21-2014, 08:21 AM
I hope we get a Dragon Tattoo style soundtrack ( lots of tunes)

Deepvoid
04-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Trailer is allegedly being released shortly.
According to some people who had the chance to review the trailer, we won't be hearing any new song from TR/AR.
Charles Aznavour "She" is allegedly used.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-03-31/first-trailer-for-gone-girl-is-creepy-dark-and-disturbing

Vertigo
04-09-2014, 03:06 PM
There wasn't any Trentticus in Social Network's advance trailer either, if I remember rightly (can't remember about Dragon Tattoo, but I think not there also). We're six months out from the film's release, I'd be surprised if they had any music ready for public consumption at this stage.

Deepvoid
04-09-2014, 03:23 PM
There wasn't any Trentticus in Social Network's advance trailer either, if I remember rightly (can't remember about Dragon Tattoo, but I think not there also). We're six months out from the film's release, I'd be surprised if they had any music ready for public consumption at this stage.

SN had Scala's cover of "Creep" which was awesome.
Dragon Tattoo did have Immigrant Song.

simonn
04-12-2014, 04:22 AM

Dragon Tattoo trailer had Immigrant Song in it.

sheepdean
04-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Dragon Tattoo trailer had Immigrant Song in it.
Which, whilst on the score album, isn't a score piece by TRAR

simonn
04-13-2014, 04:09 AM
Which, whilst on the score album, isn't a score piece by TRAR

Technically not, but as they performed and produced it, it 'counts'. For me.

thevoid99
04-14-2014, 06:18 PM
It doesn't feature any music by them but this does look intriguing as it does have an excellent cover of "She" by Charles Aznavour that is famously covered by Elvis Costello.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hq62wyAwXg

cahernandez
04-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Here's the poster: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/first-poster-for-david-finchers-gone-girl-searches-for-amazing-amy-20140414

And apparently Gillian Flynn re-wrote the whole third act for the film (very intriguing): http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/good-or-bad-idea-gillian-flynn-writes-completely-new-ending-for-david-finchers-gone-girl-20140110

butter_hole
04-14-2014, 07:29 PM
and relieving

BRoswell
04-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Looks like the trailer has been taken down on YouTube, but you can still find it here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/video-gone-girl-trailer-ben-696101

Bloomy1992
04-14-2014, 09:24 PM
The music on the films website definitely has that Reznor/Ross feel to it. I love it.

http://www.findamazingamy.com/

FernandoDante
04-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Made an ironic comment about the music on the video being mellow for TR&AR standards. Some guy "corrects" me saying it's someone else performing the song. Fuck the internet.

and relieving
Why? Does it suck?

millhouse
04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
The music on the films website definitely has that Reznor/Ross feel to it. I love it.

http://www.findamazingamy.com/

Now, how do we get it out of the website.

sheepdean
04-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Game on motherfuckers #ARG2014

Also, if you can't get the site audio to work, http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/82766375459/findamazingamy-com-site-audio-trent-reznor-and

eversonpoe
04-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Game on motherfuckers #ARG2014

Also, if you can't get the site audio to work, http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/82766375459/findamazingamy-com-site-audio-trent-reznor-and

unghhhh it's so gorgeous

i hope there's a deluxe edition package that's as beautiful as this piece of music

you know, it actually sounds a lot like some of COIL's more ambient work

gorast
04-15-2014, 01:53 AM
I don't know if they'll do another deluxe package after Dragon Tattoo. That didn't go over too well.

I really like the feel of this new track, though. Did it have a name attached to it, or just something generic?

sheepdean
04-15-2014, 02:14 AM
So long as I can afford the vinyl without selling a kidney~

laci
04-15-2014, 03:44 AM
It was easy to download bg_audio_loop_128.mp3 :)

millhouse
04-15-2014, 04:05 AM
Totally missed the easiest way to get it. Cheers laci.

butter_hole
04-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Why? Does it suck?
Let's just say it's definitely on the terrible end of the spectrum.

slave2thewage
04-15-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't know why, but that piece reminds me of "Tomhet" by Burzum. Slightly similar melodies at places, probably.

BRoswell
04-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction for this new snippet of music? I've tried getting it through my usual methods, but they don't seem to work on the site.

EDIT: Got it.

witte
04-15-2014, 10:14 AM
....Dragon Tattoo (which is still available, amazingly)....
wrong, sold out for months already

cahernandez
04-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Made an ironic comment about the music on the video being mellow for TR&AR standards. Some guy "corrects" me saying it's someone else performing the song. Fuck the internet.

Why? Does it suck?

I thought it was ok, nothing extraordinary, but I've read elsewhere that people have found it a non-ending, or kind of flat. It's not the worst ending...hard to explain it without ruining it for you. But it's a really good sign that the book author is involved in this rewriting, as opposed to World War Z.

slave2thewage
04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I need help of getting it as well. Thanks.

Deepvoid
04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Love what I'm hearing so far. Dig the mysterious/atmospheric/intriguing vibe.
Can't wait to hear more.

TheBang
04-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I need help of getting it as well. Thanks.
For me, it was as easy as, right-click, "Save Video As..."

implanted_microchip
04-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Totally agree with the Coil comparison. Really looking forward to this; sounds really separate from TSN or TGWTDT. So does this basically mean TR&AR are the go-to Fincher scoring team from here on out?

BRoswell
04-15-2014, 07:02 PM
I imagine he'll come back to them at some point in the future, even if it's not the next film. He worked with Howard Shore on Se7en and The Game before working with The Dust Brothers on Fight Club, then he brought Shore back for Panic Room. It's clear that Fincher likes working with Trent and Atticus. He's talked about working with them more than any other composers he's worked with before.

FernandoDante
04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Let's just say it's definitely on the terrible end of the spectrum.
I've heard nothing but good things about the book elsewhere on the internet, so I'll take this with a grain of salt.

gorast
04-16-2014, 12:40 AM
wrong, sold out for months already

Oops. Talked out of my ass again. (Nothing new there.)

Regardless, it took years to sell out.

Ryan
04-16-2014, 01:10 AM
Reminds me of Salad Fingers episodes' background music.

butter_hole
04-16-2014, 03:57 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about the book elsewhere on the internet, so I'll take this with a grain of salt.
Just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's been universally well received.

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Girl-Gillian-Flynn/product-reviews/030758836X/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/2003/12173

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/388534945?book_show_action=false

ophelia_
04-16-2014, 08:00 AM
For a second there I thought I was listening to Brian Eno...

Which I'm definitely okay with.

elevenism
04-16-2014, 06:50 PM
hey i thought i already posted this, but i just thought really hard about posting it, i guess :p

so do you guys think this is the new project trent said he was working on that will come out in the fall?

i hope not. i was hoping he'd go on a YZ/Ghosts?TS kind of NIN album spree.

Fadeout54321
04-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Holy crap i haven't thought about Salad Fingers in years. Hey Ryan do you want touch this rusty kettle?

Ryan
04-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Holy crap i haven't thought about Salad Fingers in years. Hey @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) do you want touch this rusty kettle?

Yes please, Hubert Cumberdale.

Speaking of, there are two new episodes (well, newish).

The latest one is probably the most disturbing one so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSOnIS84x1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCVtPhFQNU

eversonpoe
04-16-2014, 11:12 PM

"beware the friendly stranger" is used a lot in salad fingers, but the darker, more ambient stuff is awesome, too, and i agree that this evokes a similar mood.

side note: one time i went up on the roof of my parents' house with an extension cord, and amp, some effects pedals, and a four-track and recorded a bunch of crazy/pretty noise which i called the "salad fingers suite."

elevenism
04-17-2014, 03:59 AM
So considering how much unopened vinyl goes for nowadays for TSN and TGWTDT, i'm starting to think that vinyl for this new thing might be a good investment! buy a few, don't open them, then sell to rabid collectors and make a profit.
Also, trent said in an interview that he was working on a new project that would be released in the fall. Is this the project?
this is my second time asking...does no one care about good old eleveno anymore? He would really like to know the motherfucking answer!
Does anyone think it might be a new NIN album? Or perhaps How We Destroy Angles?

fillow
04-17-2014, 04:28 AM
^^
Most of the time, when people assume anything about new unspecified TR projects, they're way off. I don't think it's new NIN or HTDA album.

wizfan
04-17-2014, 07:51 AM
I cannot for the life of me downoad the mp3 from the site. I'm right-clicking but all I get is the video. What am I doing wrong?

xfocalinx
04-17-2014, 01:54 PM

I believe the song you're refereeing to is "Rhubarb" by Aphex Twin.

This is such a cool song,any title popup yet?

xfocalinx
04-17-2014, 02:12 PM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/p480x480/10268456_10154016514915346_7097969313891242529_n.j pg

I called the phone number, there's a little bit of new music, Plus a male speaker talking about his wife. more details as I listen

I was told the male speaking was nick's perspective, possibly the beginning of the book, word for word

spahn
04-19-2014, 10:03 AM
@xfocalinc, it is the beginning of the book. I would have thought that they would have had Ben affleck narrate that instead of some generic voice actor.

elevenism
04-19-2014, 01:58 PM
1. no one has answered your question because no one knows. it's probably this that he was referring to, but none of us are sure.

2. if you're going to buy vinyl just to flip it for a profit, you're a dick. and you've never come off as a dick before, so i really hope you were joking about that.

3. if you're going to buy vinyl for any reason, leaving it sealed (in shrink wrap) is a bad idea. you have to at least slit the side open, but the best thing to do is remove the shrink wrap and put it in a protective plastic cover (i recommend putting the plastic cover opening on the spine end of the record). if the sleeve is a tight fit around the discs, take them out and put them outside the sleeve, inside the plastic cover (this will avoid ring-wear and physical compression of the discs).

i can't believe the two of you, @sheapdean and eversonpoe, could possibly think i was serious...i wouldn't talk about flipping shit to rabid collectors in a forum of rabid collectors. surely you two fuckers know by now that i'm not a dick, oh ye of little faith!

Thanks for the tip on the vinyl. When i was 14, my girl's dad killed himself and willed his records to me. and this motherfucker bought two of everything...one to keep and one to play. i'm talking every zeppelin, every pink floyd, even some beatles and hendrix.
and i, of course, being 14-15 years old, fucked it off post-haste.

I just LOVE records, and i'm thinking of starting to collect again. I love the idea of digging through crates and finding undiscovered gems, and i LOVE the way records sound. but i would play the motherfuckers, and i doubt i can afford two copies.

As far as what TR's project is, i didn't expect anyone to know, but then i didn't expect @mofoboy25 to pop up with all those soundboard recordings either...sometimes people here know and have things that shock the shit out of me.

elevenism
04-19-2014, 01:59 PM
sorry for the double post, but how are the soundtracks when listened to as albums? i have yet to do it.

BRoswell
04-19-2014, 02:11 PM
sorry for the double post, but how are the soundtracks when listened to as albums? i have yet to do it.

The Social Network is a pretty easy listen in my opinion. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a harder listen just because of the length and the mood of the whole thing, but it's very rewarding once you finish it. I tend to listen to The Social Network more, but I think The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is better overall.

elevenism
04-19-2014, 02:15 PM
i think i'm gonna check 'em out.

gorast
04-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Speaking from the position of listening to them as albums, I feel like Dragon Tattoo isn't nearly as rewarding. It works much better as shuffled background music for me.

Reznor2112
04-21-2014, 09:10 AM
The track on Findamazingamy.com (when listened to just as a piece of music and not a score piece) is a love letter to Brian Eno.

WorzelG
04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Speaking from the position of listening to them as albums, I feel like Dragon Tattoo isn't nearly as rewarding. It works much better as shuffled background music for me.
I agree with this, I find the social network soundtrack has three acts and really tells a story and has better flow as a stand-alone piece

Reznor2112
04-21-2014, 11:34 AM
I agree with this, I find the social network soundtrack has three acts and really tells a story and has better flow as a stand-alone piece

Absolutely. I listen to the TSN soundtrack religiously and to me when I see the film, the score almost sounds like a completely different album than when I listen it to it by itself. Does that make sense.

As far as Gone Girl, I'm assuming the album will be released in late September (going by the TSN & GWTDT score to film release dates).

Does anyone remember how soon those 2 album pre-orders went up before their subsequent releases?

gorast
04-21-2014, 12:08 PM
GDT was up in November, I believe, ahead of a late December release. May have been October.

ophelia_
04-22-2014, 08:51 PM
how are the soundtracks when listened to as albums? i have yet to do it.

TGWTDT soundtrack is great background music for reading.

That sounds like a bad thing, but I definitely mean it in a complimentary way.

ophelia_
04-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Just finished reading the book and holy cum, Trenticus are the perfect choice to score this. Cannot wait to see the movie!

Ryan
04-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Holy cum. That's a newie.

ophelia_
04-29-2014, 09:43 PM
My most favourite phrase.

jmtd
05-02-2014, 05:46 AM
TGWTDT soundtrack is great background music for reading.

That sounds like a bad thing, but I definitely mean it in a complimentary way.

I read The Silent Land (http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/11/13/book-review-the-silent-land-graham-joyce/) whilst listening to TGWTDT and it worked really well, but the side effect is I can't stop thinking about the book now if I put the music on.

ophelia_
05-02-2014, 09:22 AM
I read The Silent Land (http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/11/13/book-review-the-silent-land-graham-joyce/) whilst listening to TGWTDT and it worked really well, but the side effect is I can't stop thinking about the book now if I put the music on.

Lol, yep! That'll happen...

When I read TGWTDT I was listening to the first 2 Crosses EPs, and now I just instantly think of that book series and the eerie vibe of them whenever I listen to Crosses.

BrownEyedStatistic
05-03-2014, 11:14 PM
I was here to listen to recent score, but the Salad Finger orgasm distracted me.

Tra-lala-laaa

:D

theimage13
05-07-2014, 07:52 PM

I'm late to the party here, but generally speaking, I agree with what most others have said.

TSN is a great album on it's own; wonderful for listening to when you're out driving or going for a walk, working, reading, or listening to it just for the sake of listening to it.

Dragon, on the other hand, is definitely more of a background album for me. There are some standout tracks that I'll listen to on their own because I like them so much, but as a whole, this album gets most of its use in the form of "load out is done, I'm climbing into my bunk and putting my headphones in". I'm usually asleep within a few songs, but worst case scenario, I've got hours of music.

Prettybrokenspiral
05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm late to the party here, but generally speaking, I agree with what most others have said.

TSN is a great album on it's own; wonderful for listening to when you're out driving or going for a walk, working, reading, or listening to it just for the sake of listening to it.

Dragon, on the other hand, is definitely more of a background album for me. There are some standout tracks that I'll listen to on their own because I like them so much, but as a whole, this album gets most of its use in the form of "load out is done, I'm climbing into my bunk and putting my headphones in". I'm usually asleep within a few songs, but worst case scenario, I've got hours of music.

The next time you visit someplace special, take a bus or a train somewhere for a few hours and put it on. It will soundtrack your memory of the place for years to come.

I did this a few years ago when I traveled through Iceland, and it was incredible.

elevenism
05-08-2014, 04:27 AM
gone girl was one of the books i bought for my county jail vacation, so i will tell you guys what i think in a month.

theimage13
05-08-2014, 06:28 AM
The next time you visit someplace special, take a bus or a train somewhere for a few hours and put it on. It will soundtrack your memory of the place for years to come.

I did this a few years ago when I traveled through Iceland, and it was incredible.

Funny - that's actually how TSN works for me. When I got it, I was listening to it heavily during the first two weekends, which were spent driving between west Texas and New Mexico. It'll always remind me of driving through the streets of ABQ at night with the moon lighting up the mountains in the background, and driving through the mountains and White Sands Missile Range at dawn.

Listening to the first part of Dragon just reminds me of being on a tour bus, which to me, is a special place. When I've been out of work for too long (or on a tour where we fly everywhere), it still serves as the soundtrack to my memory of busing around.

arsenic
05-15-2014, 10:26 AM
The song form Gone Girl is playing just before the shows start here in Europe

ophelia_
05-15-2014, 07:13 PM
They played songs from TGWTDT before their Australian shows, so I'm not surprised.

Dammit Trent, play some new stuff off the Gone Girl soundtrack :P

leo3375
05-15-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm reading Gone Girl right now, and he is right about the book being "nasty." It also sounds like the film is going to be even darker than its source material. Definitely gonna see this one on Opening Night.

simonn
05-16-2014, 01:10 AM
The song form Gone Girl is playing just before the shows start here in Europe

Do you mean 'She' from the trailer, or is there actually a song called Gone Girl by someone else?

arsenic
05-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Do you mean 'She' from the trailer, or is there actually a song called Gone Girl by someone else?

The background music that was on the website when it launched, I cannot remember the name of the song. I also have the feeling that more unreleased ambient songs from Gone Girl are actually being played. Some really sounded like a Trent work

simonn
05-16-2014, 06:50 AM
The background music that was on the website when it launched, I cannot remember the name of the song. I also have the feeling that more unreleased ambient songs from Gone Girl are actually being played. Some really sounded like a Trent work

Nice. Looking forward to this being released...

jessamineny
05-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Someone who's recording one of the shows needs to record the pre-show/between act music, too. @RITCNIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) ... know anybody that you can give a heads-up to?

arsenic
05-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Someone who's recording one of the shows needs to record the pre-show/between act music, too. @RITCNIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) ... know anybody that you can give a heads-up to?

Actually at the Copenhagen gig I recorded a part of what I believe is a new song but I might be wrong and I yet have to check it on shazam. I'm still in Berlin and I'm going back to Switzerland in a few hours. I might upload it tonight

arsenic
05-16-2014, 07:31 AM
The track somewhat reminds me of "She Reminds Me Of You". I tried to shazam it and I got no results, although there are people talking over it so I don't know.

arsenic
05-16-2014, 06:14 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p272q8

edit: it's this track, false alarm https://soundcloud.com/invadauk/sets/cliff-martinez-solaris-ost-2/

It's not the first time I hear some martinez tracks before the shows (and before uploading this clip I was almost sure it must have been either reznor or martinez)

eversonpoe
05-16-2014, 11:51 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p272q8

edit: it's this track, false alarm https://soundcloud.com/invadauk/sets/cliff-martinez-solaris-ost-2/

It's not the first time I hear some martinez tracks before the shows (and before uploading this clip I was almost sure it must have been either reznor or martinez)

i was just talking to my friend about the Solaris soundtrack tonight because it's one of my favorite scores of all time.

elevenism
05-22-2014, 05:15 AM
I read the book and it was SOOOOOOOO fucking good. Creepy, menacing, sinister. And it hits a little close to home...i think that's kind of the point. They reel you in with this fucked up relationship, but want you to think "Oh, shit...my relationship is kinda like that.

I'm REALLY wondering how Fincher is going to pull this off in movie form, because it has such a peculiar, unconventional literary structure.
But i trust him. Can't wait to hear the music!

gorast
05-28-2014, 01:17 PM
I wonder if Trent will try out the deluxe package deal again for this one. Though, considering Hesitation Marks didn't get anything more than the 2CD thing, I'm not so sure this will get anything more than CD and vinyl. Especially with The Fragile (perpetually) on the horizon.

I really just want a cool deluxe package from the first day it's released, instead of buying it two years after the fact.

sheepdean
05-28-2014, 01:33 PM
I wonder if Trent will try out the deluxe package deal again for this one. Though, considering Hesitation Marks didn't get anything more than the 2CD thing, I'm not so sure this will get anything more than CD and vinyl. Especially with The Fragile (perpetually) on the horizon.

I really just want a cool deluxe package from the first day it's released, instead of buying it two years after the fact.
I hope the vinyl will be in something other than the $300 package though, still annoyed that I will probably never own the TGWTDT vinyl because that's too much money for me.

Reznor2112
05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
I am just going to be on the look out for the damn "For Your Consideration" copy to complete my collection… if hit is even considered

elevenism
06-02-2014, 01:48 PM
I can't believe what you're saying, butter_hole .

I thought Gone Girl was great, beginning to end.

And i would assume that Flynn rewriting the ending doesn't have anything to do with it being "terrible."

It's probably to match the director's vision, or to make it more palatable and stronger in the film version.

I'll admit, the ending wasn't perfect, but it damn sure wasn't "terrible."

jhulud
06-05-2014, 02:53 PM
From the movie's Twitter:

Gone Girl‏@GoneGirlMovie21 mins (http://www.echoingthesound.org/GoneGirlMovie/status/474634636606197762)The community rallies to support friends & family of missing Amy Dunne. #GoneGirl (http://www.echoingthesound.org/hashtag/GoneGirl?src=hash) 855-4-AMY-TIPS

It's a recording of a monologue by the narrator but in the background you can hear what could be some of the soundtrack music.

Reznor2112
06-24-2014, 02:57 PM
I have a bad feeling that this soundtrack is going to get a lackluster shitty release without any thought or time put into the packaging or presentation. Just from how far behind the whole camp is with the Tension DVD and the fact that NIN is about to go back on tour up until the release of the movie and Rob, Im sure, will be on tour taking band photos for NIN.com rather than working on this OR the Tension dvd.

WorzelG
06-24-2014, 03:05 PM
I have a bad feeling that this soundtrack is going to get a lackluster shitty release without any thought or time put into the packaging or presentation. Just from how far behind the whole camp is with the Tension DVD and the fact that NIN is about to go back on tour up until the release of the movie and Rob, Im sure, will be on tour taking band photos for NIN.com rather than working on this OR the Tension dvd.
I've got to be honest, I'm not too bothered about the packaging for this, I just want to hear the music and I'll probably go and see the film too. Perhaps they'll do a scavenger hunt type thing while on the Soundgarden tour? (like that mouthtapedshut for girl with the dragon tattoo)

sheepdean
06-24-2014, 08:12 PM
I really don't see an importance to the packaging, considering the "nice" packaging cost $300 last time, it's not something that is going to affect me, I just want good music

elevenism
06-25-2014, 08:37 PM
have you guys read the book? i really dug it.

edit: actually i more than really dug it.
it's the best writing i've read in years.

and i think it's perfect for trent and atticus.

Santos L Halper
06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Nothing really earth shattering just a few new pictures of Atticus and Trent in the studio

https://twitter.com/GoneGirlMovie/status/483682964388065280 (https://twitter.com/GoneGirlMovie/status/483682964388065280)

sheepdean
06-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Nothing really earth shattering just a few new pictures of Atticus and Trent in the studio

https://twitter.com/GoneGirlMovie/status/483682964388065280 (https://twitter.com/GoneGirlMovie/status/483682964388065280)
Those were already on TR's instagram, but they're way higher res here so thanks!

Santos L Halper
06-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Those were already on TR's instagram, but they're way higher res here so thanks!

Whoops didn't even check his instragram...my bad.

butter_hole
07-01-2014, 02:00 AM
it's the best writing i've read in years.
read more books!

elevenism
07-01-2014, 03:27 AM
read more books!
there is never a point that i am not reading a book.
perhaps i'm reading the wrong books.
turn me on, who writes exquisitely these days?
i'm not so much talking about story or plot...when i say it's the best writing i've read in years, i'm talking sheer beauty of prose, page by page.

elevenism
07-01-2014, 05:20 AM
for instance, this quote from gone girl: “I felt a queasy mixture of relief and horror: when you finally stop an itch and realize it’s because you’ve ripped a hole in your skin.”

her writing is so sharp. i remember another near the end where amy talks about growing into every part of nick like a vine, something along those lines. there are several other such passages. It's been a while since i read a book where lines really stuck out in my mind.
The last one i've read that had prose as striking as the prose in gone girl was The Loop, by Nicholas Evans.

Unfortunately, in the small town in which i am stuck, the closest bookstore is a wal-mart, so i just buy what seems like it might look good.

I am a Steven King fanatic, and an obsessive and prodigious reader. So anything you guys could recommend to keep me reading between king releases would make me happy.

Edit: I started a thread over in literature; it's called Favorite Books and Authors. So, butter_hole , sheepdean , please weigh in!
My mind is bored. I'm reading something that i don't really like right now...i need good recommendations!

Back on topic, i gave TGWTDT a spin for the first time, and i fucking LOVED it! Now i'm really looking forward to the soundtrack to Gone Girl.

That other guy
07-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Really looking forward to this , Don't care about extras , just care about quality work..

sheepdean
07-01-2014, 03:44 PM
https://twitter.com/GoneGirlMovie/status/484074741720825856

New trailer dropping 7/7, hopefully that means new music too

sheepdean
07-05-2014, 07:28 PM
The website just updated, and whilst the audio is the same, the filename changed: it's now "Echoes-2-42-160.mp3", so I take it the track is probably
called Echoes.
http://www.gonegirlmovie.com/

edit: my bad, there's a different outro, with feedback. Dumped it onto Atticus blog if you can't run the flash-heavy gone girl site http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/90895102502/new-website-audio-for-gone-girl-composed-by-trent

butter_hole
07-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Hope to hear some soundtrack news with the trailer release tomorrow!

ninlive
07-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I just recently read the book and I am very excited to see the movie now. Whatever Fincher uses for filters in his movies (dark) it's amazing. I can only imagine how dark they make this film between Fincher/Reznor+Ross.

butter_hole
07-06-2014, 09:17 PM
for instance, this quote from gone girl: “I felt a queasy mixture of relief and horror: when you finally stop an itch and realize it’s because you’ve ripped a hole in your skin.”

her writing is so sharp. i remember another near the end where amy talks about growing into every part of nick like a vine, something along those lines. there are several other such passages. It's been a while since i read a book where lines really stuck out in my mind.
The last one i've read that had prose as striking as the prose in gone girl was The Loop, by Nicholas Evans.

Unfortunately, in the small town in which i am stuck, the closest bookstore is a wal-mart, so i just buy what seems like it might look good.

I am a Steven King fanatic, and an obsessive and prodigious reader. So anything you guys could recommend to keep me reading between king releases would make me happy.

Edit: I started a thread over in literature; it's called Favorite Books and Authors. So, @butter_hole (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=179) , @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) , please weigh in!
My mind is bored. I'm reading something that i don't really like right now...i need good recommendations!

Back on topic, i gave TGWTDT a spin for the first time, and i fucking LOVED it! Now i'm really looking forward to the soundtrack to Gone Girl.

Let me pre-empt and caveat or what-have-you this entire post by saying: feel free to tell me to go fuck myself. What someone else reads is not my business and affects me in no way whatsoever and you are obviously more than welcome to keep doing what you want; my post was a total kneejerk reaction.

If your only source of books is a Walmart, then that explains it, doesn't it? Gone Girl is an airport book. It's something lightly thrilling that you don't have to think about too hard. Something to keep the pages turning while you circle La Guardia. Gillian Flynn used to write for Entertainment Weekly and it completely shows. It's the exact perfect thing for a David Fincher movie (just like GWTDT); lot's of shouting and moody sets and Nick and Amy looking pensively out of windows in nice lighting. I didn't like it because the characters were unbelievably self-entitled, Amy's psychosis didn't make sense and everyone acted like they knew they were on a film set. But I did read the last 200 pages in one sitting. And then threw the book at a wall. It's junk food for your mind, basically.

But our tastes are different. You might hate anything I suggest, like The Goldfinch (orThe Secret History) by Donna Tartt (Junk food for your mind, but high-brow junk food. like a crème brulee at a French restaurant) or Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, or these collections of stories (http://sesquipedalism.com/shop/) by a member of this very forum (@Sesquipedalism [how do you tag a forum member?!?!]).

Bottom line: do what you want, but basically I hated the book and replied to your comment in an asshole-ish way and now I'm paying the price of getting called out for it.

elevenism
07-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Let me pre-empt and caveat or what-have-you this entire post by saying: feel free to tell me to go fuck myself. What someone else reads is not my business and affects me in no way whatsoever and you are obviously more than welcome to keep doing what you want; my post was a total kneejerk reaction.

If your only source of books is a Walmart, then that explains it, doesn't it? Gone Girl is an airport book. It's something lightly thrilling that you don't have to think about too hard. Something to keep the pages turning while you circle La Guardia. Gillian Flynn used to write for Entertainment Weekly and it completely shows. It's the exact perfect thing for a David Fincher movie (just like GWTDT); lot's of shouting and moody sets and Nick and Amy looking pensively out of windows in nice lighting. I didn't like it because the characters were unbelievably self-entitled, Amy's psychosis didn't make sense and everyone acted like they knew they were on a film set. But I did read the last 200 pages in one sitting. And then threw the book at a wall. It's junk food for your mind, basically.

But our tastes are different. You might hate anything I suggest, like The Goldfinch (orThe Secret History) by Donna Tartt (Junk food for your mind, but high-brow junk food. like a crème brulee at a French restaurant) or Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, or these collections of stories (http://sesquipedalism.com/shop/) by a member of this very forum @Sesquipedalism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=287) [how do you tag a forum member?!?!]).

Bottom line: do what you want, but basically I hated the book and replied to your comment in an asshole-ish way and now I'm paying the price of getting called out for it.

ahh, shit...i certainly wasn't trying to be a dick or "call you out."
i personally loved gone girl. I LIKED the character's nastiness. As far as amy's psychosis not making sense, i agree with you. it wasn't perfect.
basically it had an amazing twist, and some of the writing WAS exquisite. And yes, the ending was kind of off.

I love to read, CONSTANTLY, and am happy to take ANY suggestions. As a matter of fact, i have a good buddy who has been trying to turn me on to David Foster Wallace lately.

I don't know how you feel about the lush religious symbolism of Steinbeck in books like east of eden, or the heady insanity of William S. Burroughs, but i enjoy those things as well. It's not as if i haven't been exposed to good literature.
And yes, i currently get my books from the walmart. it fucking sucks. i used to live a few blocks from the biggest used book store in the fucking country in dallas. So i buy 12 or 13 best sellers (actually my MOMMY buys them for me, lol, that is part of the problem here,) and read a lot of ultra-forgettable thrillers. i HAVE to read.

I DO love stephen king...i adore his "voice."
And i know many people look down on him, but he, too, uses some fine literary techniques, like, say, weaving Daphne Du Maurier's incomparable Rebecca into the pages of Bag of Bones.

As far as Gone Girl, like i said, some of the WRITING was exquisite, especially compared to the drudgery i've been reading. That's ultimately why i liked the novel...Flynn's writing talent, sentence by sentence, shined at times.

You didn't respond in an asshole-ish way, you responded in a @butter_hole (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=179) ish way. i thought it was clever.

But it isn't that i need to read MORE books, it's that i need to read BETTER books!

And you are on the right track for tagging people, you just have to remember it's case sensitive... @Sesquipedalism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=287) perhaps?

i ain't mad atcha! i'm just here to spread love and happiness and shit :p

butter_hole
07-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Ah there we go. Sesquipedalism get in here and sell elevenism a copy of your book!

And I'm with you 100% on the King love. But we've derailed this thread enough...

Reznor2112
07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
NEW Gone Girl Trailer New music towards the end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3LB0lOJ0o

dvdglss
07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
the music just made this movie more interesting.

the first trailer with the stock music didn't make it seem as intense. thanks T and A!

Deepvoid
07-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I can't freaking wait for this soundtrack. Trailer looks and sounds great.

gorast
07-07-2014, 11:20 AM
The tone of that track is really nice - it feels more like Ghosts than the other soundtracks.

Q-NeilL
07-07-2014, 11:23 AM
New music started from 0:18.
I like new music and guitar sound with piano. I hope there more music from official film-site.

Bloomy1992
07-07-2014, 11:33 AM
I hope the music in the trailer is used in the actual film. In GWTDT most of the trailer music was used specifically to score the trailer.

WorzelG
07-07-2014, 11:37 AM
This music sounds almost Downward Spiralish with the kind of buzzing underneath

sheepdean
07-07-2014, 11:59 AM
So, given that the website music seems to be the trailer (and so possibly movie) theme, I wonder if the original site audio vs the current one is like Hand Covers Bruise, with the no piano version that was only on the site.

Also, gorgeous music, still not super excited for the cast though.

elevenism
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
that piano run, it's a scale/relationship of notes that shows up SO often in trent's music.
if i had paid more attention in music theory i could tell you what it is.

Whatsamatter, sheepdean. Do you not appreciate Aflac? AFLAC! ;)

All joking aside, he finally won me over with "The Town." Believe it or not, he CAN act! (little known fact)
He just doesn't do it in a whole lot of his movies. I think Afflack will be good in this one.

The woman playing amy...i'm not familiar with her, so idk what to expect.

sheepdean
07-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Dude, Tyler Perry too...

Lastentrance
07-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Good trailer. Music stood out more than anything, that's from a non biased standpoint. I love Fincher but the trailer makes the film look a bit like flavour of the month in comparison to the teaser. The music makes it something deeper. Cannot wait for more!

henryeatscereal
07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Now it's a must see for me...

Reznor2112
07-08-2014, 08:34 AM
All joking aside, he finally won me over with "The Town." Believe it or not, he CAN act! (little known fact)

TROOF!

The woman playing amy...i'm not familiar with her, so idk what to expect.

She was a Bond girl in Die Another Day, Brosnan's last, you know, the one with the awful Madonna theme song.

wizfan
07-08-2014, 08:54 AM
I really liked her in An Education and The World's End.

WorzelG
07-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Instagram from 20th century sound stage with an orchestra. I'm really excited for this

http://web.stagram.com/p/760279948971537967_2549924

sheepdean
07-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Instagram from 20th century sound stage with an orchestra. I'm really excited for this

http://web.stagram.com/p/760279948971537967_2549924
I'll give a lot of money for whatever's on that piece of paper :P
Also, live orchestra, fuck yeah

Vertigo
07-08-2014, 07:43 PM
*Is imagining two hours of the Tetsuo theme and reaching for the tissue box.*

elevenism
07-08-2014, 07:50 PM
wow, mothafuckin t-rez with an orchestra...
when did we get so fucking old?

WorzelG
07-10-2014, 03:21 AM
Okay I'm ridiculously excited for what Trent and Atticus will do with an orchestra. And I'm relieved that Gone Girl is out in the cinemas in the UK on Oct 3rd as well, I'm sure we had to wait a few weeks for The Social Network after the US release

simonn
07-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Okay I'm ridiculously excited for what Trent and Atticus will do with an orchestra. And I'm relieved that Gone Girl is out in the cinemas in the UK on Oct 3rd as well, I'm sure we had to wait a few weeks for The Social Network after the US release

Hoping for both slower and quicker orchestral stuff myself, but whatever comes out, I'm sure it'll be excellent. The orchestral element has definitely upped my excitement levels for this!

snaapz
07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm very excited for this. I still listen to TSN and TGWTDT soundtrack quite often while I work and plug away at my desk.

I find OST 'music' to be more descriptive than conventional 'music'. I find more emotions and complexity in the 'music'.

I guess that's why there are so many fans of instrumentals from Nine Inch Nails.

Side note: Some classical/orchestral/symphony music has more chaotic and intense riffs than Cannibal Corpse or Meshuggah. Beethoven was a modern day punk ass rocker!

eversonpoe
07-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Side note: Some classical/orchestral/symphony music has more chaotic and intense riffs than Cannibal Corpse or Meshuggah. Beethoven was a modern day punk ass rocker!

my friend and i were eating at kuma's corner (a chicago burger place known for always playing metal and having burgers named after metal bands) recently and discussing the fact that (good, technical) metal is basically classical music played on rock instruments, with vocals.

simonn
07-10-2014, 07:40 PM
my friend and i were eating at kuma's corner (a chicago burger place known for always playing metal and having burgers named after metal bands) recently and discussing the fact that (good, technical) metal is basically classical music played on rock instruments, with vocals.

Wholly agree. Cliff Burton's biggest inspiration was Bach after all....(2 legends)

laz001
07-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Actually, it's not a direct relationship. Metal is based originally off of blues. You only need to listen to some Sabbath to hear all the elements of blues.

Which is why I don't understand why Metallica 'load' was so hated. Load is a heavy blues album, Metallica exploring their roots.

But modern metal is taking on more influences, with multiple time signatures, dissonance etc, it's gone very 'classical'

sheepdean
07-13-2014, 01:58 PM
I'd argue all modern rock, metal and pop is based in blues and jazz.

On topic, this is about the time of year we get our album sampler isn't it?

eversonpoe
07-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Actually, it's not a direct relationship. Metal is based originally off of blues. You only need to listen to some Sabbath to hear all the elements of blues.

Which is why I don't understand why Metallica 'load' was so hated. Load is a heavy blues album, Metallica exploring their roots.

But modern metal is taking on more influences, with multiple time signatures, dissonance etc, it's gone very 'classical'

sabbath has always seemed more "hard rock" to me, and not so much metal (but i do love them). hard rock was obviously a gateway to metal, but i'm also talking about more modern stuff, not the classics.

Vertigo
07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Zeppelin's the best example of the transition between blues and metal, in my opinion.

sheepdean
07-13-2014, 06:11 PM
"transition" is a funny way to say "literally stole blues standards" :P

Conan The Barbarian
07-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Gonna have to disagree. I believe zep is the party band while sabbath brought darkness and heaviness.

Charmingly Miserable
07-13-2014, 07:46 PM
That whole orchestra pic kinda threw me into a loop. I always imagined (and assumed) that Trent and Atticus did all the work including playing all the instruments for both previous soundtracks. Now the orchestra. It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the addition of the orchestra.

sheepdean
07-14-2014, 01:12 AM
That whole orchestra pic kinda threw me into a loop. I always imagined (and assumed) that Trent and Atticus did all the work including playing all the instruments for both previous soundtracks. Now the orchestra. It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the addition of the orchestra.
Atticus used a full orchestra on Book of Eli, so if you've not picked up that OST yet, it'll give you some strong ideas of what they can do with 'em (spoiler: it's awesome).

simonn
07-15-2014, 06:45 AM
On topic, this is about the time of year we get our album sampler isn't it?

Nope, apparently for TSN, there was just an eleven day gap between the sampler and the official release...seemed longer, though a bit hazy now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Network_(soundtrack)

sheepdean
07-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Damn, must be losing my mind.

At least we probably won't have to pay $300 for vinyl this time because it didn't go too well before. And maybe Sony will think to press more than they did for TSN considering the price that that goes for.

gorast
07-15-2014, 11:50 AM
The gap between the sampler and the final release was even smaller for GDT - a week.

Still got a few months to go.

Reznor2112
07-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Damn, must be losing my mind.

At least we probably won't have to pay $300 for vinyl this time because it didn't go too well before. And maybe Sony will think to press more than they did for TSN considering the price that that goes for.

Yeah, still not understanding the price inflation for the TSN vinyl. They quit pressing it because it was a bad pressing. Ive seen nothing but shitty reviews for the that release as far as sound quality….not sure what happened there.

sheepdean
07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
The price inflation is because it's Oscar winning more than crazy nin fans I think. And I know it's imperfect but I really wish I had it, maybe if there's a second pressing I'll be able to get it

snaapz
07-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Atticus used a full orchestra on Book of Eli, so if you've not picked up that OST yet, it'll give you some strong ideas of what they can do with 'em (spoiler: it's awesome).

I listened to it for the first time today while at work. Interesting! Thanks for the 411, I love this type of music for background music while I work.

sheepdean
07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
I listened to it for the first time today while at work. Interesting! Thanks for the 411, I love this type of music for background music while I work.
*casually points out Broken City (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJFZZRY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KJFZZRY&linkCode=as2&tag=theninhotli0a-20&linkId=NDCQCUJOYEKNPLOZ) and Days of Grace (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F4UHZW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007F4UHZW&linkCode=as2&tag=theninhotli0a-20&linkId=Q7HZDVNRORLKAAEB) OSTs too*

I think the orchestra could really change the sound of the soundtrack, have TRAR ever used orchestra before, from Tapew*rm to NIN/HTDA?

simonn
07-16-2014, 01:16 AM
*casually points out Broken City (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJFZZRY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KJFZZRY&linkCode=as2&tag=theninhotli0a-20&linkId=NDCQCUJOYEKNPLOZ) and Days of Grace (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F4UHZW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007F4UHZW&linkCode=as2&tag=theninhotli0a-20&linkId=Q7HZDVNRORLKAAEB) OSTs too*

I second the Broken City recommendation, some excellent stuff on that. Not heard Days Of Grace yet.

cynicmuse
07-16-2014, 09:39 AM
I second the Broken City recommendation, some excellent stuff on that. Not heard Days Of Grace yet.
They're both good, and I really like the rest of the Days of Grace OST in addition to the AR stuff. Back on topic, I'm looking forward to hearing what they do with a full orchestra.

Reznor2112
07-16-2014, 11:05 AM
The price inflation is because it's Oscar winning more than crazy nin fans I think. And I know it's imperfect but I really wish I had it, maybe if there's a second pressing I'll be able to get it

It would be awesome if Mondo did a repressing of it with LE art.
http://mondotees.com/view_category.asp?cat=19

cahernandez
07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Hey Reznor2112, did not know about those Mondo repressings, went to check the website and saw the Gravity vinyl, wanted to buy it but it was sold out, and I'm not willing to pay $85 for that on Ebay. Thanks for sharing.

I went to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yesterday, it had the Gone Girl trailer preceding it. I have to say that my crap computer speakers did not do justice (at all) to the magnificent piece of music TR/AR have created. Honestly I watched the trailer in my computer and was not to impressed by it, but now watching it on the big screen, I can say with all confidence that this soundtrack is going to kick some huge butt. The music was perfect to create tension...Hopefully Fincher pushes the music to the forefront, like he did on TSN and not like TGWTDT.

Reznor2112
07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey @Reznor2112 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=536), did not know about those Mondo repressings, went to check the website and saw the Gravity vinyl, wanted to buy it but it was sold out, and I'm not willing to pay $85 for that on Ebay. Thanks for sharing.

Not a problem, and yeah I snagged the Jurassic Park one. glad i did, because it sold out that day.

Michael_Vens
07-28-2014, 08:22 PM
.... changes have been made to the site; lots of new stuff up:

sheepdean
07-29-2014, 09:48 AM
.... changes have been made to the site; lots of new stuff up:

Forgive me, but what's new since the update from the 6th?

Michael_Vens
07-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Well fuck me! Guess I was late for the party ....20 fucking days late! Ha!

Forgive me, but what's new since the update from the 6th?

nothing8
08-03-2014, 06:50 AM
So I finished reading the book this morning and I can't get over how "holy shit" this movie is going to be. I can't wait to hear what Trent and Atticus have put together, how it'll fit with the story, etc

elevenism
08-05-2014, 05:46 PM
So I finished reading the book this morning and I can't get over how "holy shit" this movie is going to be. I can't wait to hear what Trent and Atticus have put together, how it'll fit with the story, etc
ok so you liked the book too?
the ending was weak but i thought all in all that it was fucking great.

nothing8
08-06-2014, 07:15 AM
ok so you liked the book too?
the ending was weak but i thought all in all that it was fucking great.

I had to re-read that last part of the book about 3 times because I wasn't sure if I missed something or whether I was missing pages, or maybe I just don't fully understand the way it ended. The ending as a whole was pretty good, but that last section just didn't do it for me. I've got my girlfriend reading it at the moment, she's just about finished as well, I'm very interested in hearing her thoughts on how it ended.

That being said, the fact that the entire third act has pretty much been re-written for the film has me VERY excited.

elevenism
08-06-2014, 07:24 AM
I had to re-read that last part of the book about 3 times because I wasn't sure if I missed something or whether I was missing pages, or maybe I just don't fully understand the way it ended. The ending as a whole was pretty good, but that last section just didn't do it for me. I've got my girlfriend reading it at the moment, she's just about finished as well, I'm very interested in hearing her thoughts on how it ended.

That being said, the fact that the entire third act has pretty much been re-written for the film has me VERY excited.

me too. i assume it will be better, and we who read the book will be surprised.

Hey nothing8 , are you a Dexter fan? Because i thought that the twin sister in Gone Girl was either consciously or accidentally based on Dexter's sister Deb.

nothing8
08-06-2014, 07:56 AM
me too. i assume it will be better, and we who read the book will be surprised.

Hey nothing8 , are you a Dexter fan? Because i thought that the twin sister in Gone Girl was either consciously or accidentally based on Dexter's sister Deb.

Not a Dexter fan...yet. I've had plenty of people recommend I jump on it ASAP though and I've been meaning to start watching another series.

elevenism
08-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Not a Dexter fan...yet. I've had plenty of people recommend I jump on it ASAP though and I've been meaning to start watching another series.
oh shit...get on it.
it's in my top 3 of all time

jmtd
08-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Finished the book earlier in the week; pretty good. Didn't like the ending but I think I understand what the author was getting at. Looking forward to see how the movie differs.

elevenism
08-07-2014, 05:07 PM
i fucking LOVED the book, loved her writing style and the twist...but yeah, i'll admit, the ending was lacking.

what it felt like to me was an omniscient narrator getting further and further away from the characters somehow, you feel me? the narrative distance changed. before we had REALLY in depth description of the characters' thoughts and feelings and whatnot.
also the way the time speeds up in the end is fairly disconcerting.

but like you said jmtd , i can't wait to see how the movie differs myself.

BBomkamp
08-07-2014, 11:26 PM
I guess Fincher has tweaked the ending. I thought the same about the ending, it wasn't amazing <----- see what I did there? But I don't know how else I would have liked it to end. I also don't see the middle of the book happening til a lot later in the movie. Either way I can't wait. More importantly I can't wait to get a Trent Reznor score on Vinyl. Seeing as I was broke for the first two and can't afford either still (GWTDT = $300 = ...fuck... AND TSN being like $60 around the net) But Il be ready for this release.

jmtd
08-08-2014, 04:38 AM
Flynn herself tweaked the ending: she wrote the screenplay.

nothing8
08-08-2014, 05:51 AM
I've got my girlfriend reading it at the moment, she's just about finished as well, I'm very interested in hearing her thoughts on how it ended.

She finished reading the book last night, same thoughts from her as well, the ending was a bit of a let down.

elevenism
08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
nothing8 , i couldn't get my girl to read it. i even bought two copies.
you know what, i think i'm gonna get an audio version...we've been listening to a lot together through our Plex channel.

and yes, isn't it cool that Flynn wrote the screenplay?

I have high hopes for this one!

But as far as buying a $300 record...i think i'm more in the "i'll probably listen to it on youtube" income bracket at the moment.

Maul
08-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Finished the book last night. I really liked it even when the ending left me a little confused. Can't wait to see the movie! David Fincher nails this kind of thriller and if the soundtrack is as cool as the little bits we've been able to listen or the SN or GDT ones already released, it's going to be a hell of a ride.

WorzelG
08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Instagram post of backstage multitasking on the tour - I'm really excited for this
http://websta.me/p/784912643965908920_2549924

butter_hole
08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
"consequence reprise"

Atu
08-13-2014, 04:30 PM
If someone is interested in the song from the trailer PM me.
It's not extracted from the trailer itself but audiotrack used in it.

elevenism
08-13-2014, 06:08 PM
i posted this in the thread about the book, but i decided to post it here too.
I got to thinking about the Flynn's writing style and the fact that she had written a book called "Sharp Objects," and i wondered if it was the same book i read in '08 or so about the journalist who cut words into her body with a razor blade.

Sure enough, it was.

It was gimmicky, like gone girl, but also wildly entertaining. I highly recommend it.

richardp
08-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I as well just finished reading Gone Girl. Out of her three books, it was definitely my favorite. I feel like she couldn't figure out a way to end it other than what the reader already expected and wanted to throw in a cheap twist, that in effect cheapened the ending a bit. So I'm hoping she decided to do what SHOULD be done with Nick choking her, realizing he's just as bad as Amy, and then walking away to continue to figure out how to expose Amy's lies with Go and Boney, leading to Amy's arrest

I am extremely curious to hear how TR&AR make the film sound. I listened to the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack almost all of the time while I was reading this AND her previous book Dark Places (a story that I think is also suited extremely well for David Fincher), and the tone fits perfectly. Can't wait for them to finally announce the soundtrack.

elevenism
08-22-2014, 05:38 PM
I as well just finished reading Gone Girl. Out of her three books, it was definitely my favorite. I feel like she couldn't figure out a way to end it other than what the reader already expected and wanted to throw in a cheap twist, that in effect cheapened the ending a bit. So I'm hoping she decided to do what SHOULD be done with Nick choking her, realizing he's just as bad as Amy, and then walking away to continue to figure out how to expose Amy's lies with Go and Boney, leading to Amy's arrest

I am extremely curious to hear how TR&AR make the film sound. I listened to the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack almost all of the time while I was reading this AND her previous book Dark Places (a story that I think is also suited extremely well for David Fincher), and the tone fits perfectly. Can't wait for them to finally announce the soundtrack.
so, yeah, you dug the other books too?
i recently realized that i read sharp objects when it came out and thought it was pretty dope.

richardp
08-22-2014, 09:54 PM
so, yeah, you dug the other books too?
i recently realized that i read sharp objects when it came out and thought it was pretty dope.

Yeah I read all three in order. Sharp Objects is probably her weakest book, but it's still pretty great. I though Dark Places was super riveting. It reads incredibly fast, and has just as good of a plot twist as Gone Girl. It's dark as shit, and like I said, the thing is just oozing "David Fincher". Him doing Gone Girl is still perfect, though, and thematically it's pretty cool that his last two films have been about a murder investigation where the victim was alive the entire time.

elevenism
08-22-2014, 11:03 PM
richardp , it's funny, an ex girlfriend turned me on to Sharp Objects back in 08 or so and i loved it. I didn't, however, remember the title or the author.
I only recently made the connection. I suppose i will be reading Dark Places next.
A lot of people here didn't seem to be impressed with Gone Girl, but i fucking loved it.
I've been reading this book by a writer called Ben Coes, and it is pretty awful, but i'm the type who always has to be reading SOMETHING.
I went to jail a few months back and thought i was going to be doing a month, and also thought i was going to have my psych meds, so i bought a dozen books as i usually read one every couple of days in jail. But there was a problem with my prescriptions and i wound up in benzodiazapine withdrawal (preventing me from being able to concentrate enough to read for about a week), and my sentence was reduced to 2 weeks, so i have a bunch of random books i bought at walmart that i'm still slaving through. I think i'm gonna go ahead and get Dark Places now.

burn.
08-26-2014, 12:18 AM
This truly looks and sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKYibT5J87w

sheepdean
08-26-2014, 06:47 AM
I am liking the direction that the opening music is taking, something very natural about it

snaapz
08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Trent is still working on the soundtrack?? Phht. Danny Elfman woulda been done long ago!

Kidding. I'm very eager to experience this soundtrack.

WorzelG
08-26-2014, 11:23 AM
I am liking the direction that the opening music is taking, something very natural about it

It sounds to me like more guitars are being used, so I'm hoping for quite varied musical styles given we can assume there is an orchestra involved as well

Reznor2112
08-26-2014, 03:36 PM
New Trailer!!! Music sounds amazing!!!

http://youtu.be/cKYibT5J87w

Leviathant
08-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks Reznor2112. You're about fourteen hours later than the post just four above yours ;)

Krazy
08-26-2014, 05:09 PM
guitars are being used,

^^^This! Sounds pretty bad ass. Bit OT for the "Scores" thread but would love to hear TR do some crunchy distorted guitar for new NIN.

Reznor2112
08-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks @Reznor2112 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=536). You're about fourteen hours later than the post just four above yours ;)

Oh…..oh dear…ohhhhh dear...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcl28iB0qg1r657z8.gif

gorast
08-26-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure how to word what I think about the new music we've heard so far. It seems more...out there? Further towards the front? Dragon Tattoo was very subdued, very quiet, focusing more on creepy, but this seems bolder and more willing to be noticed and heard, rather than fading into the background like Dragon Tattoo's soundtrack often did.

I don't know what I'm talking about. The point is that it sounds good.

butter_hole
08-26-2014, 09:17 PM
im rock hard listening to that. i got a lot of wood. damn

Leviathant
08-26-2014, 09:29 PM
im rock hard listening to that. i got a lot of wood. damn

Surely, you can post something better than that next time you reply in a thread, butter_hole.

xfocalinx
08-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Information about this soundtrack should be released soon, right? Details usually get released about a month before the movie comes out..right?

gorast
08-27-2014, 12:24 AM
The big reveal certainly has to be coming up, but wasn't there only a week's notice with Dragon Tattoo? We might be looking at that situation again, which would place the soundtrack release in mid to late September, a couple weeks ahead of the film.

That's actually not too far away. Hm.

howdidislipinto
08-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Totally thought until this very minute that the movie was coming out in December. Had no idea it's actually close enough that we can get excited about new music soon!

Edit: I wonder if they might go digital-only release style?

Jon
08-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Thought this would be just as relevant here as in the Film section...

While a homevideo release of Gone Girl is still a ways off, Blu-ray.com currently has 2 versions listed:

• The first one is listed as a single BD with an iTunes video copy, as well as an Ultraviolet copy.
• The second one is listed as Limited Edition, with 2 BD's, as well as an Ultraviolet copy. Original Pressing is noted as including a slipcase.

No mention, at the moment, of either including a DVD copy. That 2nd option sounds like TGWTDT, so I'm personally thinking there will be a copy on DVD. The 1st one sounds like a "standard" HD studio release.

EDIT: more TR/AR behind-the-scenes goodness, please!

sheepdean
08-27-2014, 06:01 AM
Good, blu-ray is over a decade old, we don't need BD/DVD bundles anymore. Ultraviolet is fine for those who don't upgrade

Jon
08-27-2014, 06:27 AM
Good, blu-ray is over a decade old, we don't need BD/DVD bundles anymore. Ultraviolet is fine for those who don't upgrade

First a note, the 2nd version was listed as a "Digipak", not "Limited Edition". I guess I should have used the iPhone and iPad instead of relying on memory. The "slipcase" part is still true.

To your point, Mr. 'dean, I agree with you to a point. I personally buy Blu-ray 3D copies because they typically come with 3 physical versions of each movie, as well as 1-2 digital versions. That's my own personal preference, however, and is far from the way a typical consumer looks at homevideo (and multimedia overall) these days.

The Bootleg-style DVD fit with TGWTDT for obvious reasons.

sheepdean
08-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Consumers would stick with VHS if the manufacturers didn't force them to upgrade :P

DVD isn't obsolete yet, but it's getting there, and relying on it too much is holding back BD development

Back on topic, anyone started digging through nullco site files or anything to see if we have any early uploads

cahernandez
08-27-2014, 11:34 AM
I, for one, would like to hear Mariqueen in a badass song in this soundtrack (and I know I'm not alone here). Or some other strong female vocalist in a non-instrumental track. Even though they are covers, I think some of the best Reznor tracks post The Fragile are Immigrant Song and Is Your Love Strong Enough? Can't get enough of those!

jmtd
08-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Blu ray will never replace DVD and nor is it designed to. I'd not be surprised if media-less digital kills bd before DVD. The price of bd-r is pegged artificially high which IMHO is hurting bd adoption.

slave2thewage
08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
People still watch movies on discs?

thevoid99
08-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Yes. I'm one of those that still watches films on DVD and I've managed to attain a pretty good collection so far.

Leviathant
08-27-2014, 01:47 PM

When I want high quality, I watch on disc. Streaming from YouTube/Netflix/Hulu means compression artifacts, limited color palette, limited audio options, and fewer bonus features. I bought "Planet Earth" on BluRay before I even had a BluRay player. I got the Alien Quadrilogy on BluRay when it was on sale for something absurd like $25. Same with the super duper mega Blade Runner release.

I still only use my BluRay player maybe three times a year, but it's there when I want it.

eversonpoe
08-27-2014, 02:32 PM

:p

i love owning a physical product (and literally will not pay for a digital download of something unless that is my only option). also, discs usually come with a plethora of bonus features (audio commentary, gag reels, deleted scenes), whereas streaming services don't often offer those things. and yes, i could probably find those things on youtube (in really terrible quality), but i like owning all of them.

all that said, i totally understand the move to non-physical media. it makes sense for the majority of people. but it also makes me feel like a "get off my lawn" grandma.

butter_hole
08-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Dragon Tattoo didn't make a whole lot of money. This should do better, having a bigger star, half the budget and the (more recent) weight of its huge book behind it; I still see piles of GG every time I go anywhere near an airport and it's currently #6 in the NYT Bestseller list after 90 fucking weeks. So the home release should be a bit more expansive than the Dragon Tattoo one, which looked amazing and yet wasn't replete with features, was it? But will TR and AR have much left to say? The Social Network soundtrack was pretty ground-breaking, this is just... soundtrack #3. I doubt Hans Zimmer has a special feature for all of his work.

BRoswell
08-27-2014, 07:55 PM
So the home release should be a bit more expansive than the Dragon Tattoo one, which looked amazing and yet wasn't replete with features, was it?

There were quite a few bonus features actually.

Reznor2112
08-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Surely, you can post something better than that next time you reply in a thread, @butter_hole (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=179).

Not sure whats wrong with his statement. He simply expressed his love for the new music tease. Yes it was a tad…"unclean" (I'm sure worse has been said on this board) but as far as the statement not "giving" the topic anything…there's technically nothing to talk about besides liking the new music.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure ill get bitched out for questioning an admin but damn…when did this board get so strict?

Deepvoid
08-28-2014, 12:16 PM
So what's the general rule of thumb for soundtrack release? A week before or after the movie is released?
Release date is October 3 so we should get more details about the soundtrack very soon I assume.

Leviathant
08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure ill get bitched out for questioning an admin but damn…when did this board get so strict?

FFS. Please, show me where on ETS it is that people get bitched out for questioning admins - here, on a board with a forum dedicated specifically to questioning admins.

In my opinion, the post I quoted when chiding butter_hole is a fine example of why we have a "Like" button. You contribute as much to the conversation without taking up as much space. Anyhow, I'm getting off topic. If you'd like to follow up further, do please start a thread in Reports & Suggestions, and I promise we can have a constructive and open conversation on the topic. I'm always open to ideas about how we can improve the community.

butter_hole
08-28-2014, 06:08 PM
There were quite a few bonus features actually.
Actually, you're right. Just none dedicated to Trent...

In my opinion, the post I quoted when chiding butter_hole is a fine example of why we have a "Like" button.
Perhaps a 'this got me hard' button as well.

ancientlasers
08-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Just a random observation but the piano theme from the Gone Girl trailers sounds exactly like the music from this Portal movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drucg1A6Xk

Ryan
08-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Perhaps a 'this got me hard' button as well.

I vouch for this.

sheepdean
08-29-2014, 01:47 AM
I'm not gonna link to the daily mail because fuck them, but there's a brief thing with Atticus there:

Now their third project with the filmmaker is getting ready to hit cinemas, Gone Girl, with Atticus saying it's 'the best thing we've done'.

I feel like the music fits beautifully with the picture but it also feels like our most experimental work,' he said.

'The process was different partly because Trent and I were working on it in between his Nine Inch Nails tour and there was something magical about that.'
Starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike in the lead roles, with Neil Patrick Harris and Tyler Perry making up the supporting cast, Gone Girl follows the plight of a husband who becomes accused of his wife's murder after she goes missing under suspicious circumstances.

As one of only a select handful of people in the world to have seen the finished cut of the film - and loved the best-selling novel it's based on - Atticus said audiences are in for a treat.
'I like it when I go into a cinema and I'm not aware that I'm there, I'm totally involved in the film for two hours.
'With Gone Girl I sat down and suddenly the end credits were rolling, you just become so engrossed in it.
'From the very first time I saw it I thought it was a superb film.
'From day one it seems like David has had a clarity of vision before he even picked up the camera.'

wizfan
08-30-2014, 03:00 AM
I hope they'll be able to release a 5.1 mix this time. Their surround stuff are brilliant. In Motion, with its thumping bass and that synth outburst towards the end, should be a benchmark for surround speaker systems. I remember watching Dragon Tattoo in a theater and I could hear similar surround outbursts when Infiltrator was playing. Oh, the surround release that Tattoo could have been... sigh.

On another note, the guitar theme on the trailer reminds me a lot of the Call of Duty theme. Similar tempo and beat, distorted guitar...

Sarah K
08-31-2014, 07:53 PM
I stayed away from all of the threads until I finished the book. The first part of the book was boring, and I actually stopped reading. But last week at work, I had nothing to do, and picked it back up. The middle part is interesting, and that should make for good movie... The ending was lazy and horrible. I'm really thankful that it is being rewritten!

I'm excited for this now!

elevenism
08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Yeah I read all three in order. Sharp Objects is probably her weakest book, but it's still pretty great. I though Dark Places was super riveting. It reads incredibly fast, and has just as good of a plot twist as Gone Girl. It's dark as shit, and like I said, the thing is just oozing "David Fincher". Him doing Gone Girl is still perfect, though, and thematically it's pretty cool that his last two films have been about a murder investigation where the victim was alive the entire time.

thanks for the tip on "Dark Places."
I'm listening to a digital copy...halfway through and i'm fucking LOVING it.

i remember reading sharp objects pretty vividly now and thinking that it was so REFRESHING and, well, sharp. I love Flynn's "voice."

Unlike a lot of folks here, i really liked Gone Girl.
I think i'm going to wind up liking Dark Places even more. Maybe it will get a film treatment too.

richardp
09-01-2014, 03:11 AM
Maybe it will get a film treatment too.

There already has been one made with Charlize Theron as Libby Day, but it's stuck in distribution limbo. Sucks too, the film's got a great cast.

elevenism
09-03-2014, 10:42 AM
JESUS dark places was fucked up.
i think it was better than gone girl.

sheepdean
09-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Anyone else set up alerts on every music marketplace for anything called "gone girl"?

BenAkenobi
09-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Is it fair to assume it'll pop up in the same alerts set up for "nine inch nails"?

sheepdean
09-04-2014, 04:41 AM
Is it fair to assume it'll pop up in the same alerts set up for "nine inch nails"?
Not always, if a music site simply lists the soundtrack, they may not add a description of origin. A search for Trent/Atticus should trigger it, but it can't hurt to add Gone Girl too

WorzelG
09-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Interview with Trent and Atticus in the Wall Street journal. I imagine the amount of interviews etc will depend on the film buzz / critical and commercial success

http://online.wsj.com/articles/david-fincher-turns-to-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-for-gone-girl-soundtrack-1409845014

I wonder if they will go to the premiere at the New York film festival?

sheepdean
09-04-2014, 12:53 PM
"Their score for David Fincher's new movie, Gone Girl, in theaters October 3, is due the following week."

*initiate boners*

otnavuskire
09-04-2014, 01:01 PM
"Their score for David Fincher's new movie, Gone Girl, in theaters October 3, is due the following week."

*initiate boners*

I'm pretty sure that sentence meant that they had to be finished creating the score the week after this interview was happening, not that it'll be released the week after the movie.

WorzelG
09-04-2014, 01:09 PM
I like the idea of it starting with lilting melodies and then becoming something quite sick, also I can't get enough doleful piano!

Brokenfern
09-04-2014, 01:51 PM
"As soon as the score is in, he'll be hitting the road on a NIN tour,..."

Wait, this can't be right. Another tour as soon as the score is in? This is the first I hear of this.

botley
09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
This interview was conducted before the Summer tour.

otnavuskire
09-04-2014, 01:56 PM
"As soon as the score is in, he'll be hitting the road on a NIN tour,..."

Wait, this can't be right. Another tour as soon as the score is in? This is the first I hear of this.

The score was in before they went on tour. This interview happened when he was still working on the score, which he finished before going on tour.

cahernandez
09-04-2014, 03:29 PM
The score was in before they went on tour. This interview happened when he was still working on the score, which he finished before going on tour.

He kept working in the score during the tour. Check his instragram, he was working on it in the Florida date.

Moebius
09-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Consequence of Sound is misreporting that PHM also included a live orchestra (http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/09/trent-reznors-score-for-gone-girl-recorded-with-live-orchestra-inspired-by-really-terrible-massage-parlor-music/). Looks like they missed a word when they read this part:

Today they'll listen to music for the film they recorded the day before with a live orchestra. That was a first for Reznor, who since the 1989 release of his first Nine Inch Nails album, Pretty Hate Machine, has been a pioneering figure in the genre of heavy, machine-made music classified as "industrial."

otnavuskire
09-04-2014, 03:35 PM
He kept working in the score during the tour. Check his instragram, he was working on it in the Florida date.

I'm sure he was tweaking it, but the bulk of it would have been finished before the tour.

sheepdean
09-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Consequence of Sound is misreporting that PHM also included a live orchestra (http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/09/trent-reznors-score-for-gone-girl-recorded-with-live-orchestra-inspired-by-really-terrible-massage-parlor-music/). Looks like they missed a word when they read this part:
I love how CoShit managed to totally miss Atticus being all over that article and are STILL calling it Trent's

eversonpoe
09-04-2014, 05:36 PM
I love how CoShit managed to totally miss Atticus being all over that article and are STILL calling it Trent's

i actually have quite a few friends (and one of my bandmates) who write for CoS. a lot of what they do is great. but i also know the guy who started it, and he's a giant dick.

anyway, yeah, there are some people who write for the site who do not do a great job.

butter_hole
09-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Trent looks good with sideburns

fillow
09-04-2014, 07:03 PM
That article is actually why tend to hate music journalism. Mostly due to obligatory (unnecessary) flashbacks and retrospection in each paragraph.

Trent Reznor (of [bullshit smartass genre] Nine Inch Nails) and Atticus Ross... bla bla...
Reznor... who just got off the X-month tour in support of [bullshit smartass description] Hesitation Marks... bla bla... returning to scoring Fincher's (who ... bla bla... also shot Only video and used Closer in Se7en) new movie, after TSN and TGTTDT... bla bla... Lost Highway... Natural Born Killers...
Jesus, get to the point already.