PDA

View Full Version : Gone Girl (2014)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

eversonpoe
10-08-2014, 04:32 PM
What is it with these 'film score aficionados' who think they know better than directors what music to use in their films?

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/10/06/gone-girl-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross/

Completely weird to be that into film scores anyway, why not just listen to classical music that's written to be listened to on its own if you like it that much

The greatest film composers all wrote film scores which worked in their films, but also took audiences on a journey. They were storytellers, almost as much as the director and screenwriter were. They were able to convey complex emotions to the audience – either overtly, in direct response to the images on the screen, or covertly, playing to the subtext or the hidden meaning of a scene. They were able to make the audience feel for the characters they were watching, and empathize with whatever situation the characters were in: love, exhilaration, danger, sadness, loss, freedom. And then they were able to pour years of musicality into their work, using interesting and intelligent compositional techniques to make their music satisfying on an intellectual level as well as an emotional one, guiding the audience through what may be difficult narrative ideas with structured thematic design, and recurring motifs, whether they be melodic or textural. From my point of view, it is when being judged under these criteria that Reznor and Ross fail entirely – not only here, but over the course of their entire film music career together.

wow, what an a-hole.

he really just comes off sounding like a snob who doesn't like anything but orchestral film scores.

WorzelG
10-08-2014, 04:51 PM
wow, what an a-hole.

he really just comes off sounding like a snob who doesn't like anything but orchestral film scores.
I read his Social Network soundtrack review and he liked it though, it's like he's backtracked since it won the Oscar

jessamineny
10-08-2014, 04:55 PM
wow, what an a-hole.

Don't take him too seriously. It's not like he's a journalist, or even someone with professional music credentials. He's just some dude with a blog on the Internet. He's actually a banker.

WorzelG
10-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Don't take him too seriously. It's not like he's a journalist, or even someone with professional music credentials. He's just some dude with a blog on the Internet. He's actually a banker.
Yeah this is his social network review

http://moviemusicuk.us/2010/11/18/the-social-network-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-2/

Its like all his film score blog mates ostracised him till he went on-message

scorpiusdiamond
10-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I immediately thought it sounded like Robin was playing on Technically, Missing.

I want the album credits for this shit.

That's got Trent written all over it. Very TDTWWA.

simonn
10-09-2014, 07:21 AM
That scene and track in the film are fucking intense. Many people in my audience actually gagged.

Bit of an overreaction!!

BenAkenobi
10-09-2014, 08:09 AM
At Risk is "album only" track in itunes, can somebody say why?

Lerxto
10-09-2014, 08:19 AM
At Risk is "album only" track in itunes, can somebody say why?
Because it's long.

eversonpoe
10-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Bit of an overreaction!!

eh, i beg to differ. almost the entire audience in my (very large) theater collectively gasped, and at least half of us covered our mouths with our hands. i felt like i could potentially be sick. it was pretty intense.

theimage13
10-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Finally getting around to listening to this.

On At Risk now, and initial reaction: hello, new tour bus soundtrack. This will be great for those 3:00AM rides in the jump seat, driving through who knows where, watching whatever the landscape has to offer. And then crawling into a coffin-sized bunk to get a little sleep.

This doesn't strike me as something I'll go to much just to hear a particular song at some random time, but as more of...well...a soundtrack. Yeah, I know. But there are songs from both TSN and TGWTDT that I'll pull up just because I feel like hearing them. This one, so far, feels a bit more like something to play in the background. Which is by no means a dig at it, because I'm really enjoying it.

Scarlet Siren
10-09-2014, 01:56 PM
That scene and track in the film are fucking intense. Many people in my audience actually gagged.

Last week I fell asleep listening to the sound track and woke up in the middle of Consummation. Scary as fuck and I felt nauseous.

Brilliant.

Reznor2112
10-09-2014, 03:22 PM
POTENTIAL SPOILER

Not knocking TR or Fincher…
but does the "Consummation" scene seem VERY similar to this reveal from Prometheus?

Not on in style, but editing, and the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ssgazf_Hp9s

I mean I just re-watched this with Consummation playing and…it works just as well. haha

hellospaceboy
10-09-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm sorry if it's been addressed before, but I don't have the brainpower to go through all 34 pages of this thread...
So why isn't the physical CD/vinyl release scheduled for the same time the movie is in the theaters?! Just stuck me as strange.

gorast
10-09-2014, 05:08 PM
There's no stated reason for it. Maybe art assets weren't ready in time or something - that might explain the lack of a PDF.

eversonpoe
10-09-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry if it's been addressed before, but I don't have the brainpower to go through all 34 pages of this thread...
So why isn't the physical CD/vinyl release scheduled for the same time the movie is in the theaters?! Just stuck me as strange.

not sure about the CD, but vinyl production is at a level it hasn't seen in i don't even know how long. so much stuff is getting pressed, and there are only a few pressing plants in the US. the amount of time it takes to press a batch of records is a fixed amount of time. there's no rushing the process. so everything is taking longer and longer, which is shitty for when you're trying to get something pressed (just put down the deposit for my band's record on tuesday, received an estimate of 12-18 weeks), but great for people like me who prefer buying all of their music on vinyl.

Omega
10-09-2014, 09:41 PM
He's actually a banker.

Lol. He should stick to finance. Dial-up modem? Ya, but even if there was a dial-up sound used in any of his stuff..he would make it sound freaking cool. Lol..don't wanna see what's in this dude's playlist.

sheepdean
10-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Nomination #1 http://www.hmmawards.org/2014-music-in-visual-media-nominees/

screwdriver
10-10-2014, 10:55 AM
He's actually a banker.

not that there's anything wrong with that

Reznor2112
10-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Im a completist and I NEED a copy of the SEALED Gone Girl FYC album.

When did the TSN and TGWTDT FYC albums begin showing up after the initial release?

And if anyone has any "inside" help in getting on, please PM me as I am very anxious to snag this. You will be compensated.

sheepdean
10-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Im a completist and I NEED a copy of the SEALED Gone Girl FYC album.

When did the TSN and TGWTDT FYC albums begin showing up after the initial release?

And if anyone has any "inside" help in getting on, please PM me as I am very anxious to snag this. You will be compensated.
Sealed? The whole point of them is to be opened to judge for awards

Reznor2112
10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Sealed? The whole point of them is to be opened to judge for awards

I own SEALED copies of the previous two…some judges don't open them.

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/10483394_713722888674283_1667414601_n.jpg

sheepdean
10-10-2014, 11:24 AM
That is a depressing image of the awards industry I guess

Reznor2112
10-10-2014, 12:51 PM
That is a depressing image of the awards industry I guess

Yes, it is all political. Some may listen to them but I assume most toss them aside. I have seen numerous SEALED ones in the past for sale.

Deadpool
10-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Somebody mentioned this is Fincher's most humorous film and I agree. More of a black comedy to be sure, but laughs and chuckles were abundant.

The first time I saw it, there were definitely some big laugh moments. Tanner Bolt's line at the end had me rolling - I think due in large part because it comes as such a fucking release at that point, not unlike Martin putting on Enya in Fincher's Dragon Tattoo. For me personally, I probably get the most laughs out of Social Network, and Fight Club registers the easiest in my brain as a comedy - which it is to Pitt and Fincher, and I agree with them.

I saw this a second time earlier this week and I think it fucked me up more than it did the first time. Outside of maybe The Shining, I can't think of a horror movie that has left me as shaken as Gone Girl - and even that's hard to gauge since I was very young when I first saw The Shining. Thematically, GG is just pitch black, isn't it? And that's the stuff - the ideas behind it, the implications, the dread, the ambiguity - that seeps into my bones and makes me ill.

Granted, the one major moment of physical violence is shocking, and watching it a 2nd time, I was almost dry-heaving, which never happens to me.

On repeat viewing I was certainly more aware of the abundance of delicious/terrifying inversions towards the end - whether it was just a look a character gave, a tiny action or a small line of dialogue. I think I might squeeze in a 3rd viewing this weekend, and a 4th w/ my brother who hasn't seen it yet next week.

I was trying to explain to my friends that even though the book and the movie are almost exactly the same in terms of the story and ending, the movie makes me feel sick by the time the credits roll, whereas the book left me with this darkly comic vibe when I read the last sentence. To simplify it, I guess it's the power of audio & visuals? TR & AR's credits theme really nails the mood, and I find it hard to get back up out of my seat because I need to recover from everything. If only every movie had that power!

Speaking of which, I still haven't listened to the score/album separate from the movie. Planning on doing that this weekend and very excited for my first, uninterrupted listen!

cahernandez
10-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Completely agreed on how I felt that the movie was more satisfying than the book, and I think you're right on the power of audio & visuals having a major impact on our perception of this story. Best use of a TR/AR score so far.

RedderRoss
10-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a lurker here but never had any good reason to post before.

There is a film critic in Ireland that I have been following for a few years that does really good 15-20 minute critiques of movies (usually ones that have been out a few years).

This week he did one about Gone Girl and talks about the score about 10 minutes in or so.

That is only partially why I think it is a good listen the other is his conclusion on Gone Girl which completely changed the movie for me.

I warn you though. Do Not Listen to the podcast until after you have see the film.

I hope you guys like it as much as I have. http://www.stevenbenedict.ie/2014/10/gone-girl/

implanted_microchip
10-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I was so thoroughly impressed and pleased with this score when it first released, and like everyone else now, having seen the film, it enhanced so many tracks. The use of Sugar Storm, Consummation, and What Have Done/Are We Going To Do were so stunningly perfect and just melded with the scenes they were a part of so well. Maybe it's not popular to say, but I honestly felt that with Dragon Tattoo, the score was mixed too loud in some scenes to where it over-powered the scene itself and took me out of the scene, but here there wasn't a single moment where the music didn't feel totally intertwined. The way it's mixed in and used alone makes me really, really hopeful that Trent and Atticus could get another Oscar.

seasonsinthesky
10-11-2014, 08:22 PM
i am totally addicted to the album now that i've seen the film. the only piece i found inappropriate/jarring was "The Way He Looks at Me" — awesome, noisy music, almost a brother or cousin of the Tetsuo: The Bullet Man piece, but completely mismatched with the procedural (or whatever it was) montage in the film. it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

really digging the Cliff Martinez/Solaris vibe all over. pretty sure it was a massive inspiration, as one or two of the pieces directly rip off "First Sleep" (and its recurrences) from that soundtrack.

R-Dot-Yung
10-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Any stems for this one yet? Love me some trent stems

sheepdean
10-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Any stems for this one yet? Love me some trent stems
*and Atticus

And no, I doubt there will be. Labels REALLY hate releasing remix files, the lack of any for HM tells me Columbia's not letting any out for a while.

Aywok
10-12-2014, 09:40 AM
...really digging the Cliff Martinez/Solaris vibe all over. pretty sure it was a massive inspiration, as one or two of the pieces directly rip off "First Sleep" (and its recurrences) from that soundtrack.

Pretty sure this (http://alesis.com/andromeda) might have something to do with it, too.

askthedust
10-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Pretty sure this (http://alesis.com/andromeda) might have something to do with it, too.

Yep, pretty sure all those beautiful string pads are coming from an A6, but that might be the MKS-80 pictured on Tumblr as well...

ericy210
10-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Hello. Anyone else still waiting for their physical CD? I'm loving the digital download but am still old school and like the CD. Cheers

sheepdean
10-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Hello. Anyone else still waiting for their physical CD? I'm loving the digital download but am still old school and like the CD. Cheers
It doesn't ship until November, so yes.

sheepdean
10-12-2014, 04:47 PM
New promo site with what appears to be alt (aka probably FYC) of Appearances http://www.riverofsecrets.com/

And, as always, http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/99850558012/a-new-promotional-website-has-been-added-for-gone

ambergris
10-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Listening to the soundtrack for the third time now, I obviously need to watch the movie soon...
I like the vibe of it, it's reminding me of Eno's dark ambient albums, Apollo and On Land. Plus, the NIN-isms here and there are very welcome. I wonder if Trend or Atticus have heard of Jan Bang.

Reznor2112
10-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Listening to the soundtrack for the third time now,

Damn…I'm like on listen 24 or 25.

Been listening to it on repeat ever since it came out. Maybe I'm too obsessive.

R-Dot-Yung
10-14-2014, 12:09 PM

I can't stop listening. It's their best work for sure.

eversonpoe
10-14-2014, 10:33 PM
finished the book today. still can't stop listening to the soundtrack. i think i'm up to around 24 times through, as well.

does anyone notice that a couple of the songs have really, really abrupt transitions into others? or is there something wrong with my files? i'll be interested (if no one else has noticed) to see what they sound like on CD/vinyl.

butter_hole
10-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Same here ^ almost as if the downloads cut off early

eversonpoe
10-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Same here ^ almost as if the downloads cut off early

my only thought is that they did that intentionally to make it a little unsettling...but it might just be very slightly corrupted files. guess we'll find out!

ambergris
10-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Well, it's really good! Just Like You, such a surprisingly ...mature... piece of music.

Appearances... shades of early 90s techno...

onthewall2983
10-15-2014, 03:32 PM
At some point during watching it today, I thought someone behind me was fidgeting with their seat. About a few beats in I realized it was the score, and remembered there were no seats directly behind me at all.

elevenism
10-15-2014, 04:03 PM
i loved the soundtrack while i was watching the movie.
but i just can't get into listening to the movie scores by themselves like you guys do :(

Vertigo
10-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Most movie scores I can't listen to in isolation, particularly not the orchestral ones. Aside from Trentticus' instrumentation being more my cup of tea, they also make an unusual effort to arrange the music into a format that's easily listenable.

burninglard
10-15-2014, 09:38 PM
I have seen the movie and loved the score and how it fit in. But I haven't listened to the score by itself yet. I want to save that for when the cd comes out and I can just put on my headphones and let the music soak into my brain :)

AlanMorlock
10-16-2014, 02:07 AM
That throat slit was pretty intense on its own.

butter_hole
10-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Trentticus'
Atticent**

sheepdean
10-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Atticent**
Rosnor****

eversonpoe
10-16-2014, 09:24 AM

dude, seriously, use a spoiler tag. that's a pretty important and unexpected part of the movie.

edit: thank you!

Aywok
10-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Rosnor****

Trenticus Rezross

Vertigo
10-16-2014, 03:31 PM
'Rezross' sounds like something you'd expect to find daubed in red on a hotel wall.

I do however 100% condone Trentticus Rossnor.

sheepdean
10-16-2014, 03:57 PM
TRAR is just easier, or Atticus and the other guy

Wolfkiller
10-16-2014, 04:34 PM
I worry about the lot of us. I got on here thinking I'd be funny using Trentticus Rossnor only to find it already being thrown about.
Technically Missing is awesome. Want to watch the movie again this weekend!

butter_hole
10-16-2014, 05:04 PM
I like the new soundtrack but I think it's missing something with the emotional intensity of 'What if We Could?'

But then again, I guess that's not what this movie is about.

Omega
10-17-2014, 03:52 AM
Rezicus Rockidocious-Latin for Trent and Atticus rock.

elevenism
10-17-2014, 07:36 PM
but GODDAMN, the music was PERFECT!

Omega
10-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Rezicus deservous magnificus awardus- Latin for Reznor and Atticus deserve another Oscar.

leo3375
10-18-2014, 11:55 PM
This is all I have to say about this soundtrack: in my opinion, it is an instrumental adaptation of the book. If you've read the book and have the score, but have yet to see the film, you can still identify the scenes that go along with the music. This is a sign of a great soundtrack, I think.

Reznor2112
10-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Fell asleep last night listening to the soundtrack and fuckin Consummation woke me up from a dead sleep Scary shit. I believe someone on here has had this happen in the past week or two.

Scarlet Siren
10-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Fell asleep last night listening to the soundtrack and fuckin Consummation woke me up from a dead sleep Scary shit. I believe someone on here has had this happen in the past week or two.

Me. O.o. It's pretty brutal isn't it?

Reznor2112
10-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Me. O.o. It's pretty brutal isn't it?

It genuinely scared me because I woke up not realizing i was still listening to music and FURKKKK! Hahaha It was spooky.

Bachy
10-21-2014, 01:08 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-talk-742355

boyinterstellar
10-21-2014, 03:21 PM
So I'm guessing Trent and Atticus are pretty much a lock for an Oscar nom at this point, right? I mean, the Gone Girl score is pretty amazing. Understated but vital. It's the best movie score I've heard in a while.

sheepdean
10-21-2014, 06:10 PM
So I'm guessing Trent and Atticus are pretty much a lock for an Oscar nom at this point, right? I mean, the Gone Girl score is pretty amazing. Understated but vital. It's the best movie score I've heard in a while.
Maybe, maybe not. TGWTDT didn't get one, and Atticus' solo stuff hasn't (though releasing in January is just a bad idea to win an award). Not to mention, the academy is so obsessed with orchestral music that they often flat out ignore stuff that is more different.

Also, best score of the year ... might have to go to The Imitation Game for me anyway #sorrynotsorry

Arkadin
10-21-2014, 07:37 PM
There is apparently an interview with Ross/Reznor in the Film Score Monthly October issue, for those willing to pay. I don't know if it is anything new or just blurbs taken from other interviews.

sheepdean
10-21-2014, 07:50 PM
There is apparently an interview with Ross/Reznor in the Film Score Monthly October issue, for those willing to pay. I don't know if it is anything new or just blurbs taken from other interviews.
Argh I don't want to drop $5.95 on a possible 1 paragraph thing

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/fsmonline/main.cfm?issueID=118 for those who do and feel like sending me a screengrab

Arkadin
10-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Absolutely not. They'll be among those considered, but what you have to realize is that non-orchestral scores are rarely nominated. The Social Network score was aided by the overall worth of the movie, as indicated by the number of nominations. The way I understand the nomination process is that for many of the categories voting is closed to most of the Academies 6000 members. Instead the members who are in that particular field (composition, in this case) would select the five who are nominated, then the voting is opened up to all 6000 members to select a winner from the five. What this means is that the Gone Girl score could be heavily favored among the 6000, and still not be one of the top five as selected by the small minority. Generally this is an old boys club, with the same people receiving votes every year (John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Desplat), along with one or two fresh faces. No John Williams this year helps, but Zimmer and Desplat might take up three of the nomination spots.

onthewall2983
10-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm not even sure if it'll be something up for Best Picture. I think what is the closest thing to a lock by now is that Rosamund Pike will get a nom for Best Actress.

richardp
10-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Maybe, maybe not. TGWTDT didn't get one, and Atticus' solo stuff hasn't (though releasing in January is just a bad idea to win an award). Not to mention, the academy is so obsessed with orchestral music that they often flat out ignore stuff that is more different.

Also, best score of the year ... might have to go to The Imitation Game for me anyway #sorrynotsorry

A guy I work with who has already seen Interstellar said that Hans Zimmer is pretty much sure to knock TR/AR out for Best Score as his work for Interstellar is the best work he's ever done and he can see the Academy tapping all over it.

sheepdean
10-21-2014, 11:52 PM
And Zimmer is allowed to use pre-made music in his scores so he has an advantage :P

(still sore that Inception wasn't called out for that, and yes, I have the FYC to be sure)

martin_b
10-22-2014, 07:41 AM
A guy I work with who has already seen Interstellar said that Hans Zimmer is pretty much sure to knock TR/AR out for Best Score as his work for Interstellar is the best work he's ever done and he can see the Academy tapping all over it.

Hans should get an Oscar for "The Thin Red Line". Besides "The Prince of Egypt" it is considered as his "the best" score. "The Lion King" was not so bad, but when we will compare it to TTRL or TPOE, then we will realize that Hans should get an Oscar for one of these scores instead of "The Lion King". If Hans composed a score for the "Interstellar" as good as TTRL or TPOE then it is quite possible that Academy will award him with another Oscar.

But I hope that Trent and Atticus will win once again. :-)

Lastentrance
10-22-2014, 09:04 PM

Not a lock but I'd say they have a good chance. TSN got noticed as it was a unique film in many ways and a score that was different and powerful and made by already established popular musicians doing something different (notice Nick Cave's done a lot of score work, but nothing interesting enough to garner any kind of accolade - although Jesse James is great). The likes of Cliff Martinez and David Holmes have been doing good electronic scores for a while, but none with the power of TR/AR, but it was the overall quality of the film that helped the score get noticed.

Gone Girl's score is fantastic, and the music is such a massive, massive part of the film - much more than TGWTDT and arguably TSN. There's also been so, so much press about the production behind the score and TR/AR's methods (this is rare when it comes to BTS production on a film) and I've read loads about TR being recognised as a composer in his own right now after only 3 films. Judging by Gone Girl's success I think it will definitely get nods for best picture, best director and potentially best actress (and probably a nod for Affleck to while they're at it). With this I reckon a best score nod for TR/AR is likely and if so they have every chance of going on to win it, but who really knows! Fingers crossed.

howdidislipinto
10-23-2014, 01:48 AM
Whether they get nominated or not is up in the air of course, but I'd venture that all this press Trent is doing is a sign that they definitely WANT to get nominated.

sheepdean
10-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Whether they get nominated or not is up in the air of course, but I'd venture that all this press Trent is doing is a sign that they definitely WANT to get nominated.
For both ego and pay packet, I'm sure anyone would want to get nominated for a major award in their field :P

martin_b
10-23-2014, 02:04 AM
Gone Girl's score is fantastic, and the music is such a massive, massive part of the film - much more than TGWTDT and arguably TSN. There's also been so, so much press about the production behind the score and TR/AR's methods (this is rare when it comes to BTS production on a film) and I've read loads about TR being recognised as a composer in his own right now after only 3 films. Judging by Gone Girl's success I think it will definitely get nods for best picture, best director and potentially best actress (and probably a nod for Affleck to while they're at it). With this I reckon a best score nod for TR/AR is likely and if so they have every chance of going on to win it, but who really knows! Fingers crossed.

I have read and watched a few polish reviews of the movie. In case of every review - the reviewer(s) was(were) impressed by the way how this score actually works in the movie. I have never seen such attention to a score of Fincher's movie reviews before - especially in polish magazines, websites, etc. And that sounds very promising for TR/AR for getting at least a nomination.

jessamineny
10-23-2014, 07:10 AM

He's probably doing it more for Fincher and the film in general. He seems to really respect that man, and I'd wager sees doing all that press as an extension of "being in service" to the film.

WorzelG
10-23-2014, 10:52 AM
They did another Q&A thing last night - that Atticus Finch! (what is it with that, I've seen Atticus called this so many times on twitter, is there an atticus finch somewhere or are they confusing with fincher somehow???)

https://twitter.com/serenamckinney/status/525285643568832512

jessamineny
10-23-2014, 11:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atticus_Finch

onthewall2983
10-25-2014, 08:50 AM
So there's some Badalamenti/Lynch influence in there, some of the other expected influences, but the track "Procedural" almost has a Jan Hammer/Harold Faltermeyer in the sequencing feel to it which surprised me.

WorzelG
10-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Picture from another Q&A just with Trent this time
https://twitter.com/ASCAP/status/526775115959533568

Is it just me or was there none of this really for TGWDT? - I wonder if there is a tipping point at which, because a film becomes deemed 'successful' and an Oscar contender, suddenly this promotional machinery goes into overdrive, which never really happened with the last one? (this is like The Social Network all over again)

jessamineny
10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
TGWTDT was released on Dec. 20, 2011. TR's second kid was born Jan. 1, 2012. He was preoccupied. :)

onthewall2983
10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm guessing it's because Gone Girl opened right towards the beginning of awards season, and because the last one opened closer to Christmas.

WorzelG
10-27-2014, 02:10 PM
TGWTDT was released on Dec. 20, 2011. TR's second kid was born Jan. 1, 2012. He was preoccupied. :)
What a shit day to be born??? Everyone will be hungover on your birthday

HurtinMinorKey
10-27-2014, 05:28 PM

I see it the other way, everyone will be completely hammered when your birthday begins at midnight.

eversonpoe
10-28-2014, 12:31 AM

I see it the other way, everyone will be completely hammered when your birthday begins at midnight.

my birthday is january second. no one ever wants to celebrate it. i feel bad for that kid.

Aywok
10-28-2014, 12:47 PM
my birthday is january second. no one ever wants to celebrate it. i feel bad for that kid.

Especially if he gets gift cards.

butter_hole
10-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Trent is a badass leather daddy

eversonpoe
10-29-2014, 01:07 AM
i've gone a week without listening to this soundtrack and i feel weird. like, i'm exhausted right now but i feel entirely compelled to stay awake for another hour and a half just so i can listen to it. i guess i do constantly have pieces of it running through my head, so it's almost like i never took a break from it.

WorzelG
10-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Interview with Wired about Gone Girl (and Beats Music)

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2014/11/play/movie-maestro

zaps30
11-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Amazon updated the CD ETA to December 2nd now...

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Girl-Trent-Reznor-Atticus/dp/B00O0MBSH8

sheepdean
11-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Amazon updated the CD ETA to December 2nd now...

Ugh and still no European vinyl date. How on Earth can it take so long

Vertigo
11-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Ben Affleck may or may not have killed the album.

Butterscotch
11-02-2014, 12:41 PM
I like this score more than their first two, though that might just be because the newness of it hasn't worn off yet.

It's at least on par with them.

Reznor2112
11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Holy FUCK. Okay. Go listen to "Weeping Wall" by Bowie on Low around the 1:20 mark. Listen for a minute or so. Then...Procedural. Trez really is following in Bowie/Eno's footsteps.

I Really see Trent as the modern day Bowie and Atticus as the modern day Eno. Personally, I'd love for Atticus to release a solo instrumental album not tied to a film.

sheepdean
11-02-2014, 04:09 PM
I Really see Trent as the modern day Bowie and Atticus as the modern day Eno. Personally, I'd love for Atticus to release a solo instrumental album not tied to a film.
Don't we all, though his other score collabs are still fantastic - still waiting on the Touching Evil OST to get released

WorzelG
11-05-2014, 11:25 AM
That Billboard conference Q&A will be live streamed if anyone would be so kind as to record it

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6304554/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-billboard-hollywood-reporter-film-and-tv-conference-keynote-qa-livestream

cynicmuse
11-05-2014, 01:19 PM
That Billboard conference Q&A will be live streamed if anyone would be so kind as to record it.
I should be able to get it.
Edit: This reminds me of the event with Atticus Ross... except Elvis Mitchell was a much better interviewer. He covered the basics, but he also asked in depth questions that hadn't been asked before. What I've seen so far is just a rehash of the interviews for promoting the movie.
Edit 2: And now we've hit the audience participation part. It's a bad sign when most of the question is exposition.
Edit 3: I missed the last 6 minutes the first time around. I'm recording it again, so I should have a good version in an hour.
Edit 4: I have a good copy now. I'll post it later tonight.

gorast
11-05-2014, 01:43 PM
I would love it if this stream actually fucking started. Jesus.

sheepdean
11-05-2014, 01:51 PM
I would love it if this stream actually fucking started. Jesus.
It's live now, with a hashtag #FilmTVConf

FernandoDante
11-05-2014, 01:59 PM
I feel like I've seen/read this interview before. Is there going to be a Q&A where someone asks him about the new DVD/Tapeworm/Manson?

FernandoDante
11-05-2014, 02:01 PM
That's a great clip, this movie is so dark.

EDIT: oh it seems they don't have the rights to show the clip on the stream, so we have to watch a black screen for a few minutes.

r_k_f
11-05-2014, 02:15 PM
That's a great clip, this movie is so dark.

EDIT: oh it seems they don't have the rights to show the clip on the stream, so we have to watch a black screen for a few minutes.

Ugh I hate not knowing what clip/piece of music they are talking about..

sheepdean
11-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Atticus, don't show kids Psycho dude

r_k_f
11-05-2014, 03:28 PM
I didn't get to listen to the entire thing but what I did get out of it when they were ask to describe how they created "x" song they couldn't.. So are they super secretive or just so talented they can totally wing it and improvise? And then not remember what or how they did it... Lol

Arkadin
11-05-2014, 03:51 PM
The questions weren't the best. As is typical at these things, the same questions that we've heard over and over were asked once again. The 3 or 4 questions from the audience were mostly a waste of time. Even the guy who said he was a composer didn't come up with much of a question. I have a feeling that the two Q&As from last week were much better--if only we had access to them!

Toadflax
11-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Chauncey Gardner! Love that Trent made a Being There reference.

cynicmuse
11-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Now everyone can play name that tune (https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f487b37a9651892225d262344eb9851f20141106064226/7e50d7)!
Edit: I'm referencing the three sections where they played clips from Gone Girl but nixed the feed to the stream.
Edit2: Now with proper file extension. Thanks TheBang!

Corona Radiata
11-05-2014, 09:54 PM
what what

TheBang
11-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Now everyone can play name that tune (https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/73877426c2b4d95ed6f2d06f3e8de66920141106032815/1fe7685156bd9f0e21c59090c6f5d7b820141106032815/0ecd90)!
After you download the file, everyone will probably want to change the file extension from .m4a to .mp4.

cynicmuse
11-06-2014, 12:40 AM
After you download the file, everyone will probably want to change the file extension from .m4a to .mp4.
Oops. That's what I get for processing the file after taking my cough medication. I'll re-upload it and fix the filename. I'd forgotten that VLC will play anything, even if I've screwed up the filename.

simonn
11-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Well I guessed Background Noise and Strange Activities for the first two, but could be way off...maybe Appearances for the party scene?

As for Atticus' answer to what's in the pipeline, he might as well have answered 'stuff', would have been as informative as to what he actually replied:rolleyes:

Liked Trent copping to liking the $6 million dollar man music and then almost immediately regretting saying it!

All off to see Birdman I presume, now it's been given the T&A stamp of approval?

What was the film that Fincher was going to film which got delayed so that Gone Girl's schedule moved, meaning it clashed with NIN activities, which he's just started filming? I wonder as this may be the next score?

Horican
11-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Well I guessed Background Noise and Strange Activities for the first two, but could be way off...maybe Appearances for the party scene
I'm pretty sure it's background noise, the way he looks at me and just like you.

WorzelG
11-06-2014, 02:06 AM
What was the film that Fincher was going to film which got delayed so that Gone Girl's schedule moved, meaning it clashed with NIN activities, which he's just started filming? I wonder as this may be the next score?
Wasn't it 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? Isn't that a type of film requiring a more orchestral score though? (would love to hear them do that though - all the scores I've heard them do are within a certain comfort zone)

simonn
11-06-2014, 06:51 AM
Wasn't it 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? Isn't that a type of film requiring a more orchestral score though? (would love to hear them do that though - all the scores I've heard them do are within a certain comfort zone)

Apparently not, Ch4's overrated Utopia gets a US remake, all he's concentrating on next year. So we can give up any idea of The Girl Who Played With Fire for another couple of years then...:mad:

http://io9.com/david-finchers-20-000-leagues-under-the-sea-would-have-1636220699

Arkadin
11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Apparently not, Ch4's overrated Utopia gets a US remake, all he's concentrating on next year. So we can give up any idea of The Girl Who Played With Fire for another couple of years then...:mad:

http://io9.com/david-finchers-20-000-leagues-under-the-sea-would-have-1636220699
Fincher had talked about Leagues for quite a while, before revealing that Eric Roth was working on the screenplay. Not long after that Fincher suddenly shifted to Gone Girl. I'm guessing it was really more that the screenplay didn't come together well enough to keep it from being a mess of a movie. Hopefully Fincher is done working with Eric Roth.

onthewall2983
11-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Good news is that in the last interview I read Fincher was quite positive about the direction the screenplay for it was going in. Also it would appear that Sony's rights to the books will expire next year, so maybe Fox and Regency would pick them up because of the numbers Gone Girl has pulled in at the box office (it's currently Fincher's highest-grossing film ever now).

simonn
11-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Good news is that in the last interview I read Fincher was quite positive about the direction the screenplay for it was going in. Also it would appear that Sony's rights to the books will expire next year, so maybe Fox and Regency would pick them up because of the numbers Gone Girl has pulled in at the box office (it's currently Fincher's highest-grossing film ever now).

Liked the premise, but it just didn't hold my attention, so I ended up confused a lot of the time about why stuff was going on - to the point where we still have the last one sat on our Sky box unwatched at the moment! With a tighter more coherent script, maybe it could fly...

BRoswell
11-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Just saw the film at the theater. I'm so amazed that Fincher managed to sneak a black comedy under everyone's noses. People were making comparisons to Se7en and Zodiac, but when it was done, I felt like it was more like Fight Club or The Social Network. The humor is jet black, but I honestly haven't laughed as much at a lot of true blue comedies as I have watching Gone Girl. I'm still kind of shocked about it.

Also, Trent and Atticus' score was just as good in the film as it was on its own. I honestly wouldn't mind if they scored every Fincher film from now on. They get what he's going for so perfectly.

onthewall2983
11-20-2014, 12:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-RuNwINE8

sheepdean
11-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Omg the thumbnail is Resner

Omega
11-21-2014, 01:54 AM
Lol, that was a great interview:). Lol, not sure why ppl get an 's' in the word, Reznor. But great interview. I wonder if ppl get over having to repeat themselves in interviews over and over. Like, 'Haven't I talked about the making of TSN for the millionth time?' But one probably gets used to the repetition though and maybe it doesn't seem repetitive if you are talking about the kick butt work of NIN and Atticus:).

Arkadin
11-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Lol, that was a great interview:). Lol, not sure why ppl get an 's' in the word, Reznor. But great interview. I wonder if ppl get over having to repeat themselves in interviews over and over. Like, 'Haven't I talked about the making of TSN for the millionth time?' But one probably gets used to the repetition though and maybe it doesn't seem repetitive if you are talking about the kick butt work of NIN and Atticus:).
At this point TR has done interviews with just about everyone about the scoring, so he won't have to repeat that "making of TSN" story anymore.

I could hear a change of tone in TR's voice (relief, renewed interest) when they moved on to the relatively new territory in talking about the orchestral stuff.

onthewall2983
11-21-2014, 10:06 PM
I wish someone did an interview with him, just talking about his experience with the orchestra here. Hopefully we'll get it on the DVD/Blu release. I'd like to see him work more in that area, I think it could be easier than he might think it is.

zaps30
11-24-2014, 07:51 AM
I just got a shipping notice for the CD from Amazon. What's weird is the listing says unavailable now.

perceptionnexus
11-24-2014, 04:33 PM
I just got a shipping notice for the CD from Amazon. What's weird is the listing says unavailable now.

Yeah I thought that was weird too that it says its unavailable now. I got my shipping notice also, says it'll be here Wednesday, a week ahead of release date.

Reznor2112
11-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Yeah I thought that was weird too that it says its unavailable now. I got my shipping notice also, says it'll be here Wednesday, a week ahead of release date.

Still haven't gotten a shipping notice from nin.com

eversonpoe
11-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Still haven't gotten a shipping notice from nin.com

if you ordered it with the vinyl, it's gonna be a while, unfortunately. if not, then i have no idea what's happening.

BenAkenobi
11-25-2014, 09:52 AM
At least you guys were able to order something, in the first place...

Reznor2112
11-25-2014, 02:10 PM
if you ordered it with the vinyl, it's gonna be a while, unfortunately. if not, then i have no idea what's happening.

I ordered CD from nin.com, Vinyl from amazon

perceptionnexus
11-25-2014, 09:01 PM
cd set arrived today from amazon. nothing special, packaging-wise. your standard dual-cd digipak

gorast
11-25-2014, 09:35 PM
No Null number or anything? This release seems super bare bones.

perceptionnexus
11-25-2014, 09:51 PM
No Null number or anything? This release seems super bare bones.

No Null number, looks like a strictly Columbia affair. Cool to see Mike Garson on it though in the credits. I didn't know he even played on it.

xfocalinx
11-25-2014, 10:17 PM
No Null number or anything?

This breaks my heart.

it almost is like this album doesn't matter! :(

piggy
11-25-2014, 10:31 PM
It's not that it doesn't matter, it's just that they can't technically put a Null number on something that wasn't released through The Null Corporation.

gorast
11-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Ah, yes, the arbitrary rules of Null numbering say they can't do it.

piggy
11-26-2014, 04:57 AM
It just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense is all I was trying to say. I guess I shouldn't have worded it the way I did.

gorast
11-26-2014, 10:15 AM
No, I'm just being a dick because I find their adherence to this silly numbering system particularly annoying when they don't do it. Sorry about that.

sheepdean
11-26-2014, 10:45 AM
cd set arrived today from amazon. nothing special, packaging-wise. your standard dual-cd digipak
Pics/scans? The credits would be nice for nerding's sake

And of course it should have a null number, seeds are meant to be "free promotional releases" but Seed 8 is only on a premium music site. Though the nulls seemed to be for Null Co items, all Nulls thus far had been TRAR scores, so it makes sense to maintain that.

Reznor2112
11-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Has anyone who ordered from nin.com received their CD?

piggy
11-26-2014, 10:35 PM
No, I'm just being a dick because I find their adherence to this silly numbering system particularly annoying when they don't do it. Sorry about that.
It's all good.

richardp
11-27-2014, 12:46 AM
Im really happy that in the CD version, "The Way He Looks At Me" ends the first disc so that now "Technically, Missing" starts on it's own and doesn't have a crossfade at the beginning of it.

Krazy
11-27-2014, 02:39 PM

Not here. Haven't received any email either.

ethan829
11-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Nope, mine hasn't shipped yet as far as I know

Swykk
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
I haven't received my CD yet, either.

jessamineny
12-01-2014, 05:13 PM
If you ordered from nin.com, modlife has specifically told me that they do not mail out preorders until the actual release date, so you would probably get it at the end of the week. (Unless they changed their policy recently.)

gorast
12-02-2014, 12:36 AM
I was about to be a bitch and say "they should've shipped out in Fall 2014 then" but I just checked and the release dates are accurate on the nin.com store now. I guess that means I'm not getting my package until "early 2015," then.

implanted_microchip
12-02-2014, 07:58 AM
If you ordered from nin.com, modlife has specifically told me that they do not mail out preorders until the actual release date, so you would probably get it at the end of the week. (Unless they changed their policy recently.)

I feel like Modlife goes out of its way to guarantee that as many fans as possible order through Amazon. There's no way they can be that ineffective and shoddy and it not be on purpose, I swear.

It's pretty frustrating knowing that people who pre-ordered the vinyl on Amazon will probably be getting it a week earlier than everyone who pre-ordered it the minute it went live on nin.com, that's just fabulous.

jessamineny
12-02-2014, 08:21 AM
I vowed to never order vinyl from modlife several cycles ago, after it arrived in shitty packaging that caused damage.

eversonpoe
12-02-2014, 08:35 AM
I vowed to never order vinyl from modlife several cycles ago, after it arrived in shitty packaging that caused damage.

to be fair, they're VERY good at replacing (or just sending out new copies of) damaged items.

PhoenixML
12-05-2014, 07:50 AM
I ordered my cd from amazon.ca. They had a December 2 release date. I ordered some other stuffs to go with it and have free shipping it sent together.

I got an email today saying they shipped everything but Gone Girl...

redshoewearer
12-05-2014, 01:23 PM
And... it is nominated for a Grammy for best score.

Deepvoid
12-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Something tells me Trent won't be attending the Grammys this year following last year's debacle.

simonn
12-05-2014, 02:09 PM
And... it is nominated for a Grammy for best score.

Well deserved imo, fingers crossed he pulls another one in!

Wonder whether he's happy about it or not - after all, after last years QOTSA farce, he's washed his hands of it all...I await any comment on social media with bated breath!

Wondering how Frozen can be up for both best compilation soundtrack and best score soundtrack (never seen/heard it , but seems like they should be mutually exclusive...)

gorast
12-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Did either of the other soundtracks get Grammy nominations for best score?

jessamineny
12-05-2014, 02:20 PM
TGWTDT won

That other guy
12-05-2014, 03:32 PM

this is from my email to modlife (useless) ,

Reply to me:

Hello Mark,

CDs are in production now and should be shipping in the next few weeks. You will be e-mailed the moment your order begins to ship.

On 11/26/2014 9:32 PM, Mark wrote:

Is there any updates on the actual cd version, as to when it will be shipped?

jessamineny
12-05-2014, 04:20 PM
They sent CDs to Amazon before Modlife? Lord

That other guy
12-05-2014, 07:42 PM
This one may be a challenge for them to win, some very popular movies there..

http://www.grammy.com/nominees (http://www.grammy.com/nominees)

59. BEST SCORE SOUNDTRACK FOR VISUAL MEDIA

FrozenChristophe Beck, composer
Label: Walt Disney Records

Gone GirlTrent Reznor & Atticus Ross, composers
Label: Columbia Records

The Grand Budapest HotelAlexandre Desplat, composer
Label: Abkco Music & Records

GravitySteven Price, composer
Label: WaterTower Music

Saving Mr. BanksThomas Newman, composer

sheepdean
12-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Grand Budapest Hotel will win

gorast
12-05-2014, 09:14 PM
As long as fucking Gravity doesn't. Awful score.

leo3375
12-05-2014, 11:16 PM
Grand Budapest Hotel will win

I think it's gonna be Saving Mr. Banks. Alexandre Desplat has a lot of awards to his name, but the Grammy voters like giving awards to the most mind-boggling things, and I don't mean that in a good way.

somethingelse
12-05-2014, 11:25 PM
So has everyone who pre-ordered the vinyl received their copy?

genloovers
12-06-2014, 02:50 AM
This one may be a challenge for them to win, some very popular movies there.. http://www.grammy.com/nominees (http://www.grammy.com/nominees) 59. BEST SCORE SOUNDTRACK FOR VISUAL MEDIA FrozenChristophe Beck, composer Label: Walt Disney Records Gone GirlTrent Reznor & Atticus Ross, composers Label: Columbia Records The Grand Budapest HotelAlexandre Desplat, composer Label: Abkco Music & Records GravitySteven Price, composer Label: WaterTower Music Saving Mr. BanksThomas Newman, composer Label: Walt Disney Records Trent sends the Grammys a 'FUCK YOU', then proceeds to call the Grammy awards 'BULLSHIT' and then gets nominated for a Grammy, all in the same year! This must be some kind of record!

jessamineny
12-06-2014, 08:38 AM

I didn't think that was due for release for another 6 weeks.

sheepdean
12-06-2014, 12:44 PM
It's not due out until the end of January, and I've not pre-ordered because I'm waiting on ANY UK/EU store to stock it to avoid the import charges.

Maybe the issue is there's so many pre-orders they need a second pressing? It is possible, with vinyl's resurgence.

Corona Radiata
12-07-2014, 05:18 PM
GRAMMY NOMINATIONS

59. Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media
FrozenChristophe Beck, composer

Gone GirlTrent Reznor & Atticus Ross, composers
Label: Columbia Records

The Grand Budapest HotelAlexandre Desplat, composer
Label: Abkco Music & Records

GravitySteven Price, composer
Label: WaterTower Music

Saving Mr. BanksThomas Newman, composer

http://www.grammy.com/nominees?genre=All&=Go

Bookmark
12-09-2014, 10:18 AM
The Envelope Trent Reznor says spare 'Gone Girl' score was crafted to evoke dread (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-en-trent-reznor-20141209-story.html)

Sharelines:

Trent Reznor said David Fincher wanted 'Gone Girl' score to evoke 'an insincere sense of calmness'
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross wrote the bulk of the 'Gone Girl' score while touring with Nine Inch Nails
'I tried to feel what the characters felt,' Trent Reznor says of creating the music for 'Gone Girl'

To my mind, the interview contains nothing really new, but might be worth reading nevertheless.

Deepvoid
12-09-2014, 12:53 PM
In case this info has not been shared.
Important dates to remember

Golden Globes nominees announcement is this Thursday December 11, 2014. Ceremony is January 11, 2015.
Oscars nominees announced on January 15, 2015. Ceremony is February 22, 2015.

It appears there's a general consensus that Alexandre Desplat is the favorite to win both with his score for The Imitation Game. Zimmer comes 2nd with Interstellar.
Gone Girl is in everyone's top 5. So I would safely bet on it being nominated for both a Golden Globes and an Oscar.
We'll find out soon enough.

WorzelG
12-09-2014, 01:26 PM
In case this info has not been shared.
Important dates to remember

Golden Globes nominees announcement is this Thursday December 11, 2014. Ceremony is January 11, 2015.
Oscars nominees announced on January 15, 2015. Ceremony is February 22, 2015.

It appears there's a general consensus that Alexandre Desplat is the favorite to win both with his score for The Imitation Game. Zimmer comes 2nd with Interstellar.
Gone Girl is in everyone's top 5. So I would safely bet on it being nominated for both a Golden Globes and an Oscar.
We'll find out soon enough.
Just checked him out, this would be Desplat's first Oscar if he won, can't begrudge him that! I haven't even seen a film this year including Gone Girl so can't even compare

Vertigo
12-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Really? I didn't even notice the score for The Imitation Game. Then again, that's what a lot of people have been saying about Gone Girl.

genloovers
12-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Good to see Trent getting recognition at all these awards gigs leading to the GG nominations. Can't wait for Thursday to see his name in the nominees circle!

Pillfred
12-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Finally saw this movie, what in the fuck? Now I suppose I'll have to read the book.

Akahige
12-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Has everyone else received there copy from Nin.com yet?

I ordered the Cd version from there when it came up for preorder.

gorast
12-09-2014, 10:55 PM
If you bought the vinyl too, then you'll be waiting until January.

If not, then I don't know what the fuck is going on. Thanks for another seamless, perfect release, Modlife. It's like they don't even care about this soundtrack.

sheepdean
12-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Good to see Trent getting recognition at all these awards gigs leading to the GG nominations. Can't wait for Thursday to see his name in the nominees circle!
& Atticus *

butter_hole
12-10-2014, 12:24 AM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/gone-girl-blu-ray-arrives-january-2015-collectible-amazing-amy-book/

GG blu ray. doesn't look like there are any TR/AR features.

genloovers
12-10-2014, 02:05 AM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/gone-girl-blu-ray-arrives-january-2015-collectible-amazing-amy-book/ GG blu ray. doesn't look like there are any TR/AR features. Well, that SUCKS.

eversonpoe
12-10-2014, 01:35 PM
what. the. fuck. expected release date: 1st august, 2016

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Trent-Reznor-%26-Atticus-Ross-%252d-Gone-Girl-2XLP.html

that has to be a typo. right?

pwing47
12-10-2014, 03:16 PM
what. the. fuck. expected release date: 1st august, 2016

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Trent-Reznor-%26-Atticus-Ross-%252d-Gone-Girl-2XLP.html

that has to be a typo. right?

That's strange ... this is what it says for me:
http://i.imgur.com/XIZ15pg.png

But seriously, I'm guessing it's just a typo or error. It does say "Release Date: January 20, 2015" right above the 2016 message, but I guess I dunno.

sheepdean
12-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Golden Globe nomination
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/golden-globes-2015-list-of-nominees-in-full-9918054.html

WorzelG
12-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Golden Globe nomination
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/golden-globes-2015-list-of-nominees-in-full-9918054.html
Can't believe they missed out Atticus' name, thats just rude - if that's the Independent doing that even more shame as they're British and should celebrate British success

jessamineny
12-11-2014, 08:59 AM
It is correct on the Globes' site

sheepdean
12-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Can't believe they missed out Atticus' name, thats just rude - if that's the Independent doing that even more shame as they're British and should celebrate British success
It's being manually typed and the Indy's entertainment copy editor isn't great, they'll all be right soon. Not as bad as the BBC listing the British nominess and missing out Atticus (and a couple of other non-face talent)

Deepvoid
12-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Johannsson's score is another favorite. Heard good things about it.
The category is stacked this year. Gone Girl is clearly the underdog.

sheepdean
12-11-2014, 05:05 PM
http://www.indiewire.com/awardsspotlight/article/gone-girl-composer-atticus-ross-how-to-write-a-score-without-seeing-the-film-20141210

Atticus Ross: How to Write a Score Without Seeing the Film

jessamineny
12-11-2014, 05:09 PM
"His search for a sound "to define the film" starts well before the film is shot, as Ross and his colleagues write music with the only the tone in mind."

lawl

sheepdean
12-11-2014, 05:12 PM
"His search for a sound "to define the film" starts well before the film is shot, as Ross and his colleagues write music with the only the tone in mind."

lawl
Considering how apparently Trent works alone in a bubble making all music according to 90% of reviews, I am totally ok with the language of this article :P

Erik
12-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Technically, Atticus works with Claudia, Leopold and Kirk making scores for feature films and commercials as well. That may be what the article was alluding to.

sheepdean
12-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Technically, Atticus works with Claudia, Leopold and Kirk making scores for feature films and commercials as well. That may be what the article was alluding to.
And of course he's working with Harry Gregson-Williams for Blackhat, so I guess that works

simonn
12-12-2014, 07:31 AM
UK release date is 2/2/15.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Girl-Blu-ray-UV-Copy/dp/B00JLC4W0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1418390677&sr=1-1&keywords=gone+girl+blu+ray

Disappointed there's no TR/AR feature, but the music itself is enough for me.

PhoenixML
12-12-2014, 08:02 AM
So, amazon.ca also has no more release date at all.

wizfan
12-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Just wanted to say how amazed I am that TRAR managed to make this score while NIN was on tour. It must have been the most exhausting thing in the universe.

onthewall2983
12-12-2014, 05:44 PM
And of course he's working with Harry Gregson-Williams for Blackhat, so I guess that works

I'm not sure on it but if Mann's previous work is any indication, don't expect their work to be a collaboration. His films often use multiple sources of music instead of one, and has been known to use multiple composers working separately.

jessamineny
12-12-2014, 06:00 PM
If amazon.com is to believed, this thing is going to be out on DVD a week before vinyl. Oy. (They say they'll have CDs one week before the DVDs, Jan. 6.)

FineFinchTails
12-12-2014, 07:19 PM
What's the story of these promo discs on eBay? Are they the FYC score or the same music as the official release?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gone+girl+reznor+%28fyc%2C+promo%29&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

sheepdean
12-12-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure on it but if Mann's previous work is any indication, don't expect their work to be a collaboration. His films often use multiple sources of music instead of one, and has been known to use multiple composers working separately.
Which wouldn't bother me too much, as Dias de Gracia was the same deal of multiple composers with their own tracks, and Atticus+Claudia+Leo's were still awesome - though the only press release we've had over it implied otherwise.

ninjaw
12-13-2014, 02:53 AM
Hello, just wanted to give a view from france, cause it's kinda fun.
-Amazon fance still doesn't know about OST CD, well, it came out this week as a prorder with no date, but at least you can preorder it, and i finally could have access to the free amazon mp3 version
-Fnac.com is waiting it for ... 2020 http://musique.fnac.com/a7778845/Trent-Reznor-Gone-girl-2-CD-CD-album
-Fnac.com is announcing a Zone2 limited digipack dvd (for the retarded) edition for 11feb2015 however, it may simply be a crappy "special fnac" version with ridiculous bonus. Hopefully the regular bluray is announced too (for the normal people) http://video.fnac.com/a7895115/Gone-Girl-DVD-Ben-Affleck-DVD-Zone-2

ninjaw
12-13-2014, 03:04 AM
What's the story of these promo discs on eBay? Are they the FYC score or the same music as the official release?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gone+girl+reznor+%28fyc%2C+promo%29&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

They look like FYC but very similar

botley
12-13-2014, 08:51 AM
I emailed Modlife yesterday and they said "CDs should be here in a week or two".

gorast
12-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Didn't they learn their lesson with Dragon Tattoo? When's Modlife gonna ship the vinyl out, huh? March? April?

And I'm sure Amazon will ship that shit out two days before it's even supposed to come out. This is fucking stupid. It's unbelievable how little they care about this.

otnavuskire
12-14-2014, 06:10 PM
NPR included "The Way He Looks at Me" on their favorite songs of 2014 list, under the electronic genre.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/10/369652480/npr-musics-favorite-songs-of-2014

implanted_microchip
12-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Didn't they learn their lesson with Dragon Tattoo? When's Modlife gonna ship the vinyl out, huh? March? April?

And I'm sure Amazon will ship that shit out two days before it's even supposed to come out. This is fucking stupid. It's unbelievable how little they care about this.

If I could I'd get a refund and just pre-order the vinyl through Amazon, but I'm guessing you can't do that after downloading the digital version. I remember someone asking why I pre-ordered Hesitation Marks through Amazon and not nin.com to give Trent the most money, shit like this is why. I've never had a single issue with Amazon shipping new items on time and have gotten some things early in the past, and with Prime the amount I save in shipping and the 2 day delivery it's hard to justify buying through other sites where I pay 8 dollars for 1-2 week delivery.

sheepdean
12-14-2014, 06:44 PM
90% of artists, I will buy from their store to support them. Not NIN/TRAR, so long as NIN sticks with Modlife.

Reznor2112
12-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Technically, Atticus

giggle :rolleyes:

Edo
12-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Don't wanna be a creep by linking to someone's personal photobomb, but what's the deal with all these awesome people in one place? :eek: http://instagram.com/p/wKay4Owdiv/

(and where's Atticus?)

Akahige
12-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Don't wanna be a creep by linking to someone's personal photobomb, but what's the deal with all these awesome people in one place? :eek: http://instagram.com/p/wKay4Owdiv/

(and where's Atticus?)
Most likely one of those Hollywood Reporter Roundtables, they do them at the end of every year with the best of Actors/Directors/Writers/Etc.

Arkadin
12-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Most likely one of those Hollywood Reporter Roundtables, they do them at the end of every year with the best of Actors/Directors/Writers/Etc.
And it should be posted very soon. In addition, Scott Feinberg tweeted on Nov. 19 that he interviewed TR for 1 hour, so that should be posted soon too.

WorzelG
12-16-2014, 01:14 AM

(and where's Atticus?)
The guy tagged the photos with the names so people can search for the stuff, so I wouldn't worry.

I wish Trent would do half the promotion he does for these films for NIN and htda

genloovers
12-16-2014, 02:42 AM
Don't wanna be a creep by linking to someone's personal photobomb, but what's the deal with all these awesome people in one place? :eek: http://instagram.com/p/wKay4Owdiv/ (and where's Atticus?) Hollywood Reporter composer roundtable! Great find! I'm so excited for this! All these great composers sitting down to talk about music for an hour and Trent is there, too! Awesome! Can't wait for the video!

Reznor2112
12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Contacted Modlife about Gone Girl Cd and response was:

"The CDs should arrive soon and we will turn them around as soon as possible."

What. The. Fuck.

How is it ordering a CD for $8 more plus shipping gets you nothing extra plus a late delivery. FUCK MODLIFE

Could had free 2 day shipping and only pay $11 on Amazon. Fuck me for wanting to support TR and AR

WorzelG
12-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Contacted Modlife about Gone Girl Cd and response was:

"The CDs should arrive soon and we will turn them around as soon as possible."

What. The. Fuck.

How is it ordering a CD for $8 more plus shipping gets you nothing extra plus a late delivery. FUCK MODLIFE

Could had free 2 day shipping and only pay $11 on Amazon. Fuck me for wanting to support TR and AR
Yeah, I only got this score digitally and put my faith in the 'cloud' but if I was going to buy a physical cd I'd go with amazon I think

Leviathant
12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Remember how shipping on the HTDA EP was unusually high? And then it turned out that they shipped a white label bonus disc with preorders?

Pure speculation, but I wonder if the delays in shipping are because of something like that.

Arkadin
12-16-2014, 02:54 PM
There is a lot of opportunity for promotion of the score work because all three movies were released in the last quarter of the year and up for Oscar nominations. It wouldn't surprise me if TR sees the promotion as part of earning his paycheck for the movie. I suppose there are fewer opportunities for meaningful promotion on the NIN and HTDA side of things, especially if TR doesn't like doing live performances on TV shows due to lack of control. And we saw how the Grammy thing turned out. Still, the promotion might be more aggressive on the next release if the activity since the new management took over is any indication.

The guy tagged the photos with the names so people can search for the stuff, so I wouldn't worry.

I wish Trent would do half the promotion he does for these films for NIN and htda

gorast
12-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Remember how shipping on the HTDA EP was unusually high? And then it turned out that they shipped a white label bonus disc with preorders?

Pure speculation, but I wonder if the delays in shipping are because of something like that.

This would be the only justification for such awful handling of this release. But, in that case, they blew their load the moment fans started complaining. There's been nothing of the sort this time around.

sheepdean
12-16-2014, 05:16 PM

But that wouldn't explain the issues with sites other than modlife not having solid release dates etc. Methinks Sony just don't give a fuck about getting it out promptly.

Leviathant
12-16-2014, 05:30 PM
But that wouldn't explain the issues with sites other than modlife not having solid release dates etc. Methinks Sony just don't give a fuck about getting it out promptly.

You could always just search Sony's hacked emails. :p

ninlive
12-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Vinyl + FYC CD bonus. :) *Wishful Thinking*

sheepdean
12-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Vinyl + FYC CD bonus. :) *Wishful Thinking*
At this point in, I don't get why TRAR don't sell the FYC version too for everything

timdotexe
12-18-2014, 05:42 AM
The australian release date for the CD was tomorrow (this friday) until a few days ago. Its now listed as end of Jan :(
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/soundtrack/gone-girl-ost/663592/

Reznor2112
12-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Would anyone be willing to upload some images of their Gone Girl CD. Like those that would be on nincatalog (not complaining as I know that site is a damn handful) but Id just like to see some high res scans if possible.

jessamineny
12-18-2014, 11:55 AM
This person (http://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/2nerqu/still_gone/) got one a while ago from Amazon

timdotexe
12-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Would anyone be willing to upload some images of their Gone Girl CD. Like those that would be on nincatalog (not complaining as I know that site is a damn handful) but Id just like to see some high res scans if possible.

You can see my USA Promo copy here:
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/25-Show-us-your-collection!/page54

Unopened though.

onthewall2983
12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1OT3bBoRoQ

jessamineny
12-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I <3 Shirley Halperin.

I also love how much glee he seems to take in poking Atticus. :::chuckles:::

sheepdean
12-18-2014, 03:54 PM
"Hey atticus got any more to say on your other scores"

"oh look a butterfly"

pwing47
12-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Good interview! (Although every time, once the Q&A is opened up, I can just imagine Trent thinking: "alright, let's see how long it takes before someone is asking me how soon we'll have new NIN stuff.")

"We would like to do another How to Destroy Angels record. We're going to work on a new Nine Inch Nails record."
Seems like it's time for a 1-post user to revive that "New NIN album" thread in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

It sounds like Trent is actually balancing the "making new stuff" with the "give me some breathing room/time to regenerate" pretty well. I'm all for him taking whatever time he needs, but that's cool to hear.

Reznor2112
12-19-2014, 08:39 AM
I wonder how long it will take before we never have to hear the "how we became composers/working with Fincher" story...

Getting sick of hearing the same shit every interview. haha

eversonpoe
12-19-2014, 11:09 AM
i always forget what atticus' voice sounds like because i've heard him speak so few times. i expect it to be deeper or something. but he sounds so gentle.

and yes, agreed on the not needing to hear the story of how they started working with fincher. however, it is cool to note that i compose my theater scores pretty much the same way they compose film score.

Edo
12-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Yet one more Trent & Atticus interview (podcast with transcript) http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-gone-girl/

I love how enthusiastic Trent is about possibly working more with an orchestra. "It was an amazing day that I hope was the tip of the iceberg of what’s to come in the future."

The more I read of it... composing GG the way it was done -- in between tour dates, in *panic* mode -- seems to be a truly amazing feat. Hats off.

nufan
12-22-2014, 10:33 AM
The vinyl has now finally appeared for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Soundtrack-Motion-Picture-VINYL/dp/B00O0MBU0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419265945&sr=8-1&keywords=gone+girl+soundtrack+lp

;)

WorzelG
12-23-2014, 04:17 AM
Another interview with Trent and Atticus

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-gone-girl/

sheepdean
12-23-2014, 04:54 AM
The vinyl has now finally appeared for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Soundtrack-Motion-Picture-VINYL/dp/B00O0MBU0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419265945&sr=8-1&keywords=gone+girl+soundtrack+lp

;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRQ2mNwMMQ

Deepvoid
12-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Am I the only one who thought it was Trent playing the "lounge" piano part in Just Like You?
Mike Garson is actually playing.

WorzelG
12-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Am I the only one who thought it was Trent playing the "lounge" piano part in Just Like You?
Mike Garson is actually playing.
I think Trent tweeted about this ages ago so I knew for a while, but yeah when I first heard it I thought he was branching out a bit piano wise and was quite disappointed that it wasn't him

Deepvoid
12-23-2014, 11:17 AM
I think Trent tweeted about this ages ago so I knew for a while, but yeah when I first heard it I thought he was branching out a bit piano wise and was quite disappointed that it wasn't him

I completely missed that piece of information.
Glad to know I am not the only one who felt disappointed upon finding out.

Krazy
12-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Damn, it's about time! Pretty much forgot about it...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/4D64BC2D-3C9F-4752-9839-F182DFCF76B3.jpg (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/GoatKrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/4D64BC2D-3C9F-4752-9839-F182DFCF76B3.jpg.html)

gorast
12-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Mine just came in, too. It seems like they're shipping the CD and vinyl separately and eating the shipping costs, because my order had both in them.

That, or I'm about to get a very pleasant surprise in about a week when it arrives.

Krazy
12-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Amazon orders already got their CD physical copy, correct?...

Swykk
12-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Got my shipping confirmation for the CD as well. Fucking finally.

Lerxto
12-23-2014, 08:09 PM
My CD+Vinyl order was shipped! Finally..

sheepdean
12-23-2014, 08:10 PM
My CD+Vinyl order was shipped! Finally..
Vinyl too? Thought that wasn't dropping until January

Lerxto
12-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Vinyl too? Thought that wasn't dropping until January
https://31.media.tumblr.com/9d85789dfcc9f94a672d046c26b5d2b2/tumblr_nh2e6bKmzq1stnog7o1_500.jpg

Me too. I am pleasantly surprised!

gorast
12-23-2014, 08:53 PM
They might just be shipping them separately.

sheepdean
12-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Possible - check the shipment tracking tomorrow I guess, see if both are moving?

implanted_microchip
12-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Pretty sure that's the case. I pre-ordered the vinyl as soon as it became available and haven't gotten any confirmation, and I didn't order a CD from them (I'm planning on eventually picking it up on Amazon).

leo3375
12-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Looks like Antonio Sanchez' score for Birdman is ineligible for the Oscar for Original Score, due to its dependence on pre-existing classical music. I'm curious as to how this affects Gone Girl's shot at the award:
How classical music torpedoed 'Birdman' composer's chances at an Oscar (http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2014/12/24/birdman-oscar-antonio-sanchez)

If Gone Girl lands a nomination for this Oscar, would it be because of Birdman's ineligibility, or would it have been inevitable to be nominated?

Omega
12-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Cd was shipped as well:)

botley
12-27-2014, 11:22 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/9d85789dfcc9f94a672d046c26b5d2b2/tumblr_nh2e6bKmzq1stnog7o1_500.jpg

Me too. I am pleasantly surprised!

The vinyl is going to ship separately. Modlife just reprints the entire order whenever they ship one part of it. They included my poster — the one that had already arrived — in their last email update when the CD shipped.

leo3375
12-27-2014, 12:07 PM
My CD just arrived today! :D