PDA

View Full Version : sigil 02: How To Destroy Angels (debut EP)

ltrandazzo
11-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I actually liked this EP so all of the haters can move to the left. Yeah, it was all over the place, but it was no where near as bad as folks made it out to be. Who's with me? Who's against me?

NotoriousTIMP
11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
*high fives* I enjoyed it for what it was.....a side project / experiment. I still visit these tracks from time to time and find that they still hold my interest.

Sent from your girl's iPhone

spahn
11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I seemed to have enjoyed it quite a bit and I'm looking forward to what they are going to release.

bgalbraith
11-22-2011, 11:47 PM
I enjoyed it, plus the video for The Space in Between was cool. The EP was a standard part of my coding music rotation for awhile. Definitely looking forward to the full album release.

NIN64
11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I thought it was just OK when I first heard it. I went out and bought the CD, and it has certainly grown on me since.

NemesisNZ
11-23-2011, 03:46 PM
I actually really liked the EP, was a good taster of potential. Rather looking forward to a more structured album though.

steelnails95
11-23-2011, 07:19 PM
I quite enjoy it, looking forward to the new one, or anything they put out.

konstantin
11-24-2011, 06:41 PM
i was happy to hear some "scream free" music from Trent & co. reverb is fine with me.

Seven
11-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Didn't like it. I was very disappointed and even more so when I heard that will be Trent's next project but meh, maybe it will be better this time.

ManBurning
11-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Didn't like it. I was very disappointed and even more so when I heard that will be Trent's next project but meh, maybe it will be better this time.

FINALLY! someone who shares the exact same opinion as me!
It seems like everyone likes HTDA, I was starting to think someone was wrong with me, because I can't stand it. Mainly the wife's voice, The music is good, but I can't get over the vocals. If they took turns singing, I would probably be more inclined to like it.

I was dissappointed to hear the next project was more HTDA as well. I'd much rather have the so called "The Fragile Deluxe edition" over this.

REPLICA
11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I went back an listened to the EP again... All I can really say is that the only tracks that make me come back to it are The Space In Between and A Drowning. I thought Fur Lined was alright but the the other three were a little boring to me. I was pretty glad Trent did a little vocal work on BBB but I mean, it was still only whispering. I was hoping (before the release/leaks) that Parasite was going to be some sort of fast rock song just because of the way TSIB cuts off so abruptly.

Anyway, I hope the album is different than the EP. I would have to agree with ManBuring that I would like to hear Trent sing some songs as opposed to only his wife singing - an album of duets would be okay.

....play something....(thinking)....Danceable!

waffel
11-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I went back an listened to the EP again... All I can really say is that the only tracks that make me come back to it are The Space In Between and A Drowning. I thought Fur Lined was alright but the the other three were a little boring to me. I was pretty glad Trent did a little vocal work on BBB but I mean, it was still only whispering. I was hoping (before the release/leaks) that Parasite was going to be some sort of fast rock song just because of the way TSIB cuts off so abruptly.

Anyway, I hope the album is different than the EP. I would have to agree with ManBuring that I would like to hear Trent sing some songs as opposed to only his wife singing - an album of duets would be okay.

....play something....(thinking)....Danceable!

If I remember right it was stated on their tumblr (http://blog.destroyangels.com/post/719600316/from-a-43-yr-old-married-woman-silly-question-will) that The Believers was a duet of sorts. Her voice is the main focus, but TR's can be heard singing along in the background.

The EP has grown on me a lot and I'm curious on how they cement their sound. Of course I'm surprised that people are disappointed by TR's lack of singing. The whole point of HTDA is for him to work with a different voice, he's supposed to take the back seat.

iamanexit
11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I thought it was fine.
The music is arranged nicely, and Mariqueen has an absolutely stunning voice.
It's not as exciting as NIN, but with the direction NIN was going with The Slip and Ghosts, I was kind of glad to see him stop and move on to something else.

The EP sounded a little rushed, and some of the lyrics were a little cheesy here and there (BBB? Seriously?) but I think the project has a lot of potential.

Harry Seaward
11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
I agree that it could have gained a few more points by having better lyrics, but overall it was quite good. I wasn't annoyed by Mariqueen as some people seem to be and I thought the music was great too. I can't wait to hear more.

peanoot3
11-30-2011, 11:41 PM
I think it's a good introduction for what is to come. I listen to it often, and I find the songs memorable. At times, a couple songs will get stuck in my head. I really enjoyed the EP after listening to it more times and dissecting the sound.

jhulud
12-01-2011, 07:38 AM
I haven't listened to is much as I thought I would. But each time I do, I greatly enjoy it. Most of the people that I have discussed the EP1 with, hate it because they were expecting and hoping a NIN pt.2...which is completely defeating the point of HTDA.

Kamelion
12-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I liked it. Nice and atmospheric, slow dark moods. Mariqueen's voice works well - looking forward to the full album!

JessicaSarahS
12-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I went back an listened to the EP again... All I can really say is that the only tracks that make me come back to it are The Space In Between and A Drowning.

Same here. I liked these two songs and the video. That's about it. Hopefully the album is a bit stronger.

adrenalinejunkie
12-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I think The Believers is the best song on the album. A Drowning was pretty good too. I was somewhat disappointed when the EP came out, but I actually have pretty high hopes for the upcoming LP.

sheepdean
12-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I keep meaning to buy the Japanese edition just for the lyrics sheet, because I'm weird and OCD.

hologram parade
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
i thought it was a good first effort, but it really didnt stick. i thought the video was the best part. i have high hopes for the full length and the track on gdt though

Lisbeth
12-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Trent just mentioned on a radio interview that there are some HTDA touring possibilities for next year!

Incendiary Lover
12-06-2011, 12:11 AM
It took a few listens but I really like the EP. Fur lined and BBB are workout staples and Ive used them a few times in a spin class I teach. Admittedly the lyrics for BBB initially sound cheesy and I couldn't listen to the whole track when it was first released but its really grown on me.

The video for The Space in Between had me from the fist watch though, its haunting and disturbing but not overly done. Really hoping to see HTDA live at least once!

Others have mentioned that they'd rather have this or that, but it just doesn't work that way. If we can get past those wish lists and hypothetical inclinations its easier to appreciate the EP for what it is- an introduction, or experiment. I like to think of the EP as TR jamming with his nearest and dearest.

Fred
12-06-2011, 07:28 AM
I thought it was a solid EP. The beats are among the best I've heard from Reznor. Especially The Believers, which sounds like it could have been on Niggy Tardust - and that's a very sincere compliment. I would like to hear Mariqueen doing more with her voice, though. I don't know her work prior to HTDA, but she's not exactly putting on a show on the EP. The stuff she does certainly works, but I would like to hear a few more chances being taken.

But overall, I enjoyed it and still do. Also, while that has nothing to do with the music, I always thought the artwork was killer, and I hope we can expect similar art for the upcoming album.

dogsipod
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
i felt the overall effort will hold my attention, the videos, music, and artwork as a whole are good. the music on it's own feels flat in a few spots. The singles are my favorites to this day.

TheLastKnight
12-07-2011, 02:00 AM
I love the entire album, my favorite probably being BBB or Fur Lined. I listen to it all the time. The music video is great for The Spaces In Between is great and I like how it perfectly portrays the feeling the song is supposed to instill. I look forward to more music and a possible tour in the future.

MAD
12-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Here's a great remix of The Spaces in Between

http://youtu.be/cn52ExijPcI

dzaver
12-13-2011, 08:12 AM
I love the EP :) just ordered the vinyl edition

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
So, I remember everyone on ETS passionatley hating the album art whilst I loved it. Has anyone accepted it as a work of brilliance yet? (Either cover)

dzaver
12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
So, I remember everyone on ETS passionatley hating the album art whilst I loved it. Has anyone accepted it as a work of brilliance yet? (Either cover)

it is a work of brilliance. Have a hi-def print on my wall.

carpenoctem
12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Myself, I'd like to see something more along the lines of what they reblog on their tumblr. Some really unexpected, exciting, mind-bending stuff there. I love musicians who are also dedicated to the visual aspect - Bat For Lashes comes to mind.

NIN64
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM

I like all of their art direction.

JessicaSarahS
12-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Nope. Still don't care for the artwork.

butter_hole
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't hate the artwork, I just think everything Mark Weaver does looks EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME

butter_hole
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/413/210407/Internet_Addiction_Online.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/413/767742/htdacover%20_final.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/413/209836/Wired_UK_1209_final_500.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/413/210072/3958840474_3fb854df51.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/413/1079870/HP_MW_Wallpaper1_1000.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/413/210419/NYT_RFD_500.jpg

it goes on

eversonpoe
12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
having a thematic thread flow through one's artwork doesn't make it all "look the same." it's why we like bands...because their music SOUNDS LIKE THEM. it's fine if it's not your taste, but don't hate on the guy just because he has a theme to his artwork.

butter_hole
12-14-2011, 12:49 AM
having a thematic thread flow through one's artwork doesn't make it all "look the same." it's why we like bands...because their music SOUNDS LIKE THEM. it's fine if it's not your taste, but don't hate on the guy just because he has a theme to his artwork.

There's a difference between a thematic thread and EVERYTHING LOOKING EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME. I can understand a painter being like 'hmm I might do circles for a while', but this guy is doing computer based stuff, and a lot of it is commission based. If I paid for something of his and found out it was just another retro landscape with a circle and some layer blending I'd be pissed.

But I'm jus saying

JessicaSarahS
12-14-2011, 02:15 AM
I heard he's shaking things up and going to try working with triangles for the next project.

Hula
12-14-2011, 02:50 AM
I heard he's shaking things up and going to try working with triangles for the next project.

Heh.

The way I see it, it's like commissioning Dalí to do the artwork for your album, and instead of giving you something relevant to your music which still smacks strongly of his signature smile, he slaps down The Persistence of Memory on your desk with a picture of one of your band members melting from the branch in place of that clock. Granted, Weaver's work for the EP isn't that much of a copy of his other work, but as butter_hole so succinctly put it, when you look at all of his images together it's not so much a theme as the same idea rehashed repeatedly with slightly different subjects. Photographers and artists have this wonderful way of putting out pieces that can look completely different but still show a signature style. The circles, mountains and portrait 'theme' Weaver uses is akin to a photographer posing every one of his subjects in the same manner in front of the same background, just in slightly different colours. While that would make for a cool series, it's not really sufficient to buoy an entire career.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't see anything wrong with the artwork for the EP or the single. It just seems a bit dull that he put out the exact same template for the work he's been doing over the years, just with slight variations to make it relevant to the band (and that relevance becomes tenuous when it comes to the EP, since there's no picture of Mariqueen's face slapped on it).

sheepdean
12-14-2011, 08:08 AM
From a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't see anything wrong with the artwork for the EP or the single. It just seems a bit dull that he put out the exact same template for the work he's been doing over the years, just with slight variations to make it relevant to the band (and that relevance becomes tenuous when it comes to the EP, since there's no picture of Mariqueen's face slapped on it).
Playing against my own argument, but the Single cover art:
http://www.ninwiki.com/images/thumb/b/b3/Adrowning.jpg/300px-Adrowning.jpg

Warped_Savant
12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/413/210407/Internet_Addiction_Online.jpg
Okay, I admit, I had to laugh when I looked at the single art compared to this one.
Landscape upside-down? Check.
Face faded over top? Check.
Face in circle? Check.

It's almost as bad as the two with the kids' heads in them.

dzaver
12-14-2011, 09:24 AM
if you think you can do better. do it and let's see :) stop just complaining.

princessomega
12-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I find nothing wrong with the art.
Its hard to judge art in my opinion, because I feel that its something personal between the artist and their work.
I do love the EP.
I would love to hear Q really let go with her vocals and just wail. I did appreciate her vocals live with WIG, so I know that she can really let go and give it more vocally.
I am very excited to see what 2012 will hold for HTDA!

Agent Dale Cooper
12-24-2011, 05:46 PM
The E.P is a spunky little critter. I look forward to a full length release.

sheepdean
03-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Anyone else noticed the standalone CD isn't in the HTDA store anymore? http://store.destroyangels.com/

henryeatscereal
04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Are HTDA releasing anything for the Record Store Day? just wondering

eversonpoe
04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Are HTDA releasing anything for the Record Store Day? just wondering

nope. the one EP is still the only thing available (besides the digital "A Drowning" single) and we haven't heard any announcements about anything off the new album. plus, the RSD list has already been fully posted on the website.

henryeatscereal
04-12-2012, 01:37 PM
nope. the one EP is still the only thing available (besides the digital "A Drowning" single) and we haven't heard any announcements about anything off the new album. plus, the RSD list has already been fully posted on the website.

Shame, Hope he releases the new album soon he's taking an awful lot of time for Trent Reznor, Thanks for the update!

MrSlfDstruct
04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Shame, Hope he releases the new album soon he's taking an awful lot of time for Trent Reznor, Thanks for the update!

I take it you weren't around for the 90's/first half of 2000's? ;)

henryeatscereal
04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I take it you weren't around for the 90's/first half of 2000's? ;)

Lol, you're right, i meant the NEW Reznor, the one that doesn't do drugs and wins Oscars...

MrSlfDstruct
04-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Lol, you're right, i meant the NEW Reznor, the one that doesn't do drugs and wins Oscars...

Yeah, we got spoiled there for a few years, especially with three new albums within a year and a half and pretty aggressive touring from pretty much 2005-2009. At least he's kept us on a semi-constant drip of new material. Almost takes your mind off the fact that it's been FOUR years since the last NIN record.

henryeatscereal
04-12-2012, 10:58 PM
so true, but im spoiled and mean... maybe he's doing a double type of deal? new NIN with new HTDA??? am i asking too much??? :p

fillow
04-13-2012, 04:33 AM
am i asking too much??? :p
is your love STRONG ENOUGH?

henryeatscereal
04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
is your love STRONG ENOUGH?
...like a rock in the sea, LOL

jonypony81
04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
;)I think it was good and showed the range of Mariqueens voice, but I wish there were more collaborations with Trent on vocals. I know its supposed to showcase her, but come oin let us hear the passionate musical fornication that could be. Perhaps in the next installment of HTDA we will get more of that.

sheepdean
06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Are there any Japanese fans out there (or people who have the Japanese edition), who feel like scanning the lyrics booklet? I know there's nothing special on there, but I'm a completist and can't afford the shipping to buy the whole thing myself.

jessamineny
06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Are there any Japanese fans out there (or people who have the Japanese edition), who feel like scanning the lyrics booklet? I know there's nothing special on there, but I'm a completist and can't afford the shipping to buy the whole thing myself.

If there's anything additional you'd like to own, this site offers free global shipping with orders over $39US (HTDA is $18.49).
http://www.yesasia.com/global/en/home.html

sheepdean
06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
If there's anything additional you'd like to own, this site offers free global shipping with orders over $39US (HTDA is $18.49).
http://www.yesasia.com/global/en/home.html
That was too much, but it inspired me to check elsewhere and I got it for a tenner, so thanks anyway :)

sheepdean
07-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Japanese lyrics scan, because why not http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/26487984525/official-japanese-lyrics-from-how-to-destroy

sore_and_crucified
07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
How great does that HTDA logo look in the corner? Like something that could appear on a wall in Alien. Just thought I would share that.

sheepdean
07-09-2012, 09:02 AM
CD, CD-J, EP and custom Chrome theme.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6wc9a4miB1qbn738o1_500.jpg
I like this EP.

witte
09-22-2012, 02:52 AM
I just noticed that the 10" vinyl is sold out! Maybe old news?

spahn
09-22-2012, 07:33 AM
@nine_inch_nerd, i noticed that too. although i do own the cd, i never got the chance to pick up the 10" vinyl. that being said, if anyone has an extra one they would be willing to part with, please PM me so we can arrange something.

sheepdean
09-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Vinyl was sold out a while ago guys, you should stalk HTDA more

gorast
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Ugh, I was intending to get the vinyl too so it would match the one for An Omen when that comes out.

Ah well. I'll get it somehow.

witte
09-22-2012, 04:53 PM
for a reasonable price (http://www.musicstack.com/item.cgi?item=99098457&find=)

gorast
09-22-2012, 05:02 PM
for a reasonable price (http://www.musicstack.com/item.cgi?item=99098457&find=)
I snagged one on Amazon for about 28, shipping included.

Rudi
11-05-2012, 11:51 PM
First EP is now a free 320k download from http://store.destroyangels.com/

sheepdean
11-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Hm, so we can't buy it in FLAC anymore?

BenAkenobi
11-06-2012, 12:54 AM
wasn't it from the beginning?
also, Comic Sans font, really, Rob, really? Is that your role in the game?

sheepdean
11-06-2012, 01:19 AM
I don't see comic sans?

BenAkenobi
11-06-2012, 02:12 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/ae1dls.png

reloaded the page and it's gone. weird.

gorast
11-06-2012, 12:59 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/ae1dls.png

reloaded the page and it's gone. weird.
Looks like Rob decided to have some fun for a little while.

So, EP1 can only be downloaded in HD formats (officially) if you buy some merch, then?

witte
11-15-2012, 02:57 AM
OMG, price rises more (http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Destroy-Angels-DEBUT-EP-NIN-NINE-INCH-NAILS-TRENT-REZNOR-/321021905657?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4abe658af9) and more (http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Destroy-Angels-SOLD-OUT-10-Vinyl-Record-Nine-Inch-Nails-NIN-Reznor-/251184396438?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a7bc1b896)!

gorast
11-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Good thing I bought the damn thing two months ago.

sheepdean
04-03-2013, 09:28 PM
https://vine.co/v/bI9YOhLtWnE
Mariqueen is listening to a remix Ally did from the EP? Plus we know Peter Christopherson was doing one, not clear if he finished before he died though. Potential remix EP plz.

RJK
04-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I feel like she totally cock teased us with this. I was very excited and disappointed when she posted she was listening to his remix. I doubt they would release it at this point. :-( I hope I'm wrong.

sheepdean
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Idk, why mention it at all? Did we know abot it before now?

RJK
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
I think she wanted to see what the reaction would be. As far as I know this was an unknown remix.

gorast
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM
I'd never heard anything about this remix before today, so I'm hoping that she was teasing us because some sort of remix EP is coming in the near future, either as an official release or through Soundcloud or something.

Deadpool
04-04-2013, 12:24 AM
That tease she posted sounds great. Really hoping we get the full thing at some point. We know that Nosaj Thing has an HTDA remix in the works (https://twitter.com/nosajthing/status/316642195920801793), so a forthcoming EP doesn't seem so far-fetched luckily!

butter_hole
04-04-2013, 12:43 AM
(guess: the version of The Space In Between that they'll be playing live is the remix version)

butter_hole
04-04-2013, 05:42 PM
is it just me or can you no longer get the EP as a standalone product?

gorast
04-04-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it's been completely removed from the HTDA store as a separate download, yeah. Only way to get a physical copy is secondhand.

I tried to check the store and it wouldn't load just now, though. Is this happening for anyone else?

sheepdean
04-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it's been completely removed from the HTDA store as a separate download, yeah. Only way to get a physical copy is secondhand.

I tried to check the store and it wouldn't load just now, though. Is this happening for anyone else?
The vinyl went first, then the download, then the CD. CD is still on Amazon, but otherwise nowt.

And yeah, store's down. Maybe Mariqueen took it down for her birthday.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
I've got an extra of the vinyl. Anyone wanna trade? Tell me what you've got! Anyone down?

dtuck90
04-14-2013, 03:11 AM
I massively regret not buying this vinyl when it was available

jmtd
08-19-2017, 12:49 PM
I massively regret not buying this vinyl when it was available

yeah Ditto.

Pbgut
09-25-2017, 02:32 AM
Having come back to NIN for the reissues and AV, the EP has some of my favorite Trent-related material on it. I remember seeing the "The Space in Between" video and finding it both amusing and a little stale (ah yes, graphic and disturbing imagery ... yawn), but "Parasite" and "The Believers" are two of his/their better tracks in awhile – Parasite, especially, in terms of its "rock" energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trollmanen
04-19-2020, 02:17 PM
What is the highest resolution audio files they released for this EP? I seem to remember a controversy about how it was recorded in 88 Khz and not 96 Khz, and TR addressing that. But I'm looking through my files and I just have 24/44.1 files.

zecho
04-20-2020, 10:28 PM
What is the highest resolution audio files they released for this EP? I seem to remember a controversy about how it was recorded in 88 Khz and not 96 Khz, and TR addressing that. But I'm looking through my files and I just have 24/44.1 files.

You're thinking of the next one, I believe. Welcome oblivion was recorded at 48 instead of 96. I believe what you have is the highest this one was released in.