PDA

View Full Version : With 2013 Tension over.... 2014 North America potential. Thoughts....

Sandy Phimester
11-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Didn't this happen other tours? I seem to recall from going to a bunch of shows that they did North America twice, with about a year in-between? Or am I wrong?

It's not really speculation on my part about 2014 coming back to Canada and USA (oh please do), but with Trent saying that it was probably the last time they'd do something as big as Tension, in terms of stage set up and such.... what would you be happy with (besides ANYTHING?!) for another round of touring? And what are your thoughts on 2013 Tension tour now that it's all done?

I'd personally be really happy with a reduced stage set up, I really loved the backup singers though, maybe something a bit more simple like parts of the With Teeth tour with the cloth type "Screen" that came down for some songs, I know it was a lot of work for that to work well with all the projection, but maybe something a bit more simple.

I saw the last two shows of Tension 2013 in Edmonton and Calgary, and Calgary (the very last show of the tour) had so big screens, just the lights .... and it was amazing. So I'd take anything. But still, my first NIN experience was in Vancouver in 05 or 06 with With Teeth, and that was just mind blowing for me. I know they did big cloth screens like that before, but still...

Did Tension 2013 do it for you, or did you feel like a previous tour was a better high for you?

Winter Is Coming
11-28-2013, 06:42 PM
I definitely hope that a tour of some of the smaller venues is in the works. For LITS they did Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver etc and on the second go around did places like Saskatoon, Kelowna and Victoria. I skipped Edmonton this time around, despite having a ticket, and had no idea that Calgary would have no screens (which is kind of strange to me because Calgary had no problem with the LITS set up), so Tension 2013 didn't do it for me. Not that the show was disappointing, it just wasn't absolutely mind blowing the way LITS was and didn't quench my thirst, so to speak, for NIN.

Like many NIN fans I would definitely do a trade off for a smaller stripped down tour if we got something more akin to what Pearl Jam does, which is play pretty much any song from their catalog on any given night. I know that is really beating a dead horse around here as I remember the same people hoping for surprises on LITS, were the same people hoping for surprises at the festival shows, were the same people hoping for surprises on Tension etc but for once dammit I want that to come true. And that is coming from someone who has at least seen a few of the rare surprises on the last few tours through Edmonton, Calgary and Kelowna. (like Getting Smaller)

It is really too bad most of Canada doesn't have any good ampitheatres because I'd love to see NIN outdoors on a late summer/fall tour but due to summer lasting about 30s up here, most cities don't really have good outdoor venues for music.

Sandy Phimester
11-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Haha... I remember that in both Edmonton and Calgary for Tension I ran into a few people, some of which are ETS members who were at the Saskatoon show.... it was probably the worst on that tour. Haha. Kelowna was awesome though, and I was sad I missed Victoria.

I think Tension had what I was hoping for, and was glad I got a few different songs across the two nights I was lucky enough to see them at. I felt like the screens and such, the over all stage show was better in some ways but also not quite as impressive or ground breaking in other ways. I'm pretty sure that LITS had more impact as an overall stage show, but as a purely band point of view I'm pretty sure that Tension was more solid and fleshed out, maybe.... I still need time to digest that thought.

Do you think we don't get as many surprises on the shows because it's a sense of not wanting to stray too far from the mark, like.... playing it a bit safer and such, or do you think there is just no interest for him in playing different stuff? I guess it probably has to do with the stage set up, hence why an easier set up might allow for more variance in songs played across the tour.

First and foremost I just want to see NIN live.... more and more. 9 times is good, but for me it's just so great every time.

gorast
11-28-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm very much fine with stripped-down/almost-no production so long as Pino and the backup singers (be it Sharlotte and Lisa or other equally-talented individuals) stay on for the long run.

m15a
11-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Do you think we don't get as many surprises on the shows because it's a sense of not wanting to stray too far from the mark, like.... playing it a bit safer and such, or do you think there is just no interest for him in playing different stuff?

surprises (differences from show to show) mostly only benefit people that are seeing multiple shows on the same tour, which is vast majority of people at any given show. the secondary benefit is the excitement of people following the set lists online, but really that's minor. for people (like me, and you, i'm guessing) that have gone to multiple tours, a more varied set list could easily mean seeing fewer songs for the first time. from the behind-the-scenes video, it sounded like trent realized that playing a lot of new stuff was important to him. and then pleasing audience members that want surprises has to balance out audience members that want the staples, rehearsal requirements, judgment of what actually sounds good live, etc.

i'm not sure stage setup is as big of a deal as people think. sure, for performances like Disappointed, it matters a lot. but if trent really wanted, he could probably switch out MOTP, HLAH, and Wish with Kinda I Want To, Ghosts 37, and A Violet Fluid repeated 5 times in a row. ;)

skip niklas
11-28-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm very much fine with stripped-down/almost-no production so long as Pino and the backup singers (be it Sharlotte and Lisa or other equally-talented individuals) stay on for the long run.

This and only this. If they drop the extra band members then I hope it's a full production tour. Having not been able to catch any shows on this, or the LITS tour, I really need a fix on their big shows but the idea of older material getting dusted off with the new bigger band interests me as well.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-28-2013, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the festival screen setup combined with a few of the Tension light pods for an amphitheater tour. I thought the whole "push the screens around the stage by hand" thing was clever.

Scarlet Siren
11-28-2013, 09:11 PM
More US dates in August 2014....

billpulsipher
11-28-2013, 11:56 PM
1) get rid of the backup singers forever. I fucking HATED them. This is Nine Inch Nails, NOT Sting for god sake.....the reality is, the album basically died after 2 months, so if TR is going to keep touring and touring, he's basically playing to the same set of people over and over again. Its pointless to tour 18 months on an album that has died after 2 months (other than the diehards who want you to believe the album is a massive crossover success)...

WorzelG
11-29-2013, 12:47 AM
1) get rid of the backup singers forever. I fucking HATED them. This is Nine Inch Nails, NOT Sting for god sake.....the reality is, the album basically died after 2 months, so if TR is going to keep touring and touring, he's basically playing to the same set of people over and over again. Its pointless to tour 18 months on an album that has died after 2 months (other than the diehards who want you to believe the album is a massive crossover success)...
Did you not even like them on While I'm Still Here / Black Noise?

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Touring isn't about album sales anymore. It's an end in itself, or else you're better off staying home. TR knows that as well as anyone.

BRoswell
11-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Did you not even like them on While I'm Still Here / Black Noise?

He doesn't like anything.

Anyway, I would love it if they kept the lineup but stripped down the production. You know, 2013 lineup but with 2009 production. It'd be interesting to see some other songs get re-engineered to fit in with the lineup. I also pray to whatever god or gods may be out there that they return to the States next year. I had to miss the one show I was going to see due to an illness, and it was honestly one of the most disappointing things that has ever happened to me. Fingers crossed that they return!

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-29-2013, 01:06 AM
He doesn't like anything.
But … but that would mean he hates Everything. :p

BRoswell
11-29-2013, 01:17 AM
But … but that would mean he hates Everything. :p

Shocking, but true!

Oh yeah. I'd also like to see this return to the setlist. Pwetty pwease, Trent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlq4W9eP7Ns

nooneimportant
11-29-2013, 02:40 AM

You are seriously clueless.

Sandy Phimester
11-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Last two shows on Tension I was at... and they didn't play Closer, although I guess they did do Head Like a Hole and Hurt... Wish.... etc. Pretty hardcore staples of the NIN show. But on both occasions I heard people say (on the way out after the show) "I thought they would play Closer"... me personally, since I was following the tour, knew that there was a good chance they wouldn't. And while I love that track, I didn't miss it from the show.

My point is that I think (whoever said it) is right, that it's a fine line to walk between trying to please fans that want something new, and fans that want the same thing all the time. Or even new fans that want the new stuff, and new fans that expect the old stuff.... ugh.

My hope is that there is indeed more touring of Canada/USA in 2014, regardless of the stage set-up. But I'd love for them to have a scaled back version like we got in Calgary on the final Tension show, buy maybe with a more simple screen like in With Teeth era, projection style. Had to have been far simpler/cheaper to do. But whatever.

Tension was more groove based, right? A bit funky, a bit groovy and slower/mellow. He said the next wave is going to be more electronic, so it will be interesting to see what they do with that. Also interesting to see what a 2014 North American tour would be like, what the focus would be.... if any.

billpulsipher
11-29-2013, 11:20 AM
You are seriously clueless.The only bands who tour 18 months on an album that is dead after 2 months are bands like Depeche Mode, who are just touring to cash in the money. Rob made some statement on how the LITS tour was only seen by the diehards....No different than this tour..I think TR and Rob had this idea that the new album was going to be a massive hit and TR would be playing to a bigger/newer fanbase....reality is, he is playing to the same people who saw him on LITS or NIN/JA...just 4/5 years later....Like most bands who have been around 15-20 years, NIN has their core fanbase who will support them, but this idea they are breaking new ground and gaining all sorts of new people is BS. 18 month tour is idiotic.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-29-2013, 01:14 PM
You have no soul.

BRoswell
11-29-2013, 01:25 PM
18 month tour is idiotic.

So is whining about it. ;)

Seriously, you must be Trent's accountant or something. Why else would you be so bothered by the idea of another leg of touring?

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Seriously, you must be Trent's accountant or something. Why else would you be so bothered by the idea of another leg of touring?
I'm an accountant and I have no problem with it.

If the diehards are willing to come to the show, TR is stoked about the new songs and they aren't hemorrhaging cash, what else is a musician supposed to do with his time?

Charmingly Miserable
11-29-2013, 02:06 PM
I just remember seeing NIN 3 times over a course of a year ('05/'06) and it was great. I like the idea of a club tour for next year. However, I do understand that they are booked until the end of June. I'm sure that everyone involved will be exhausted and they will want to work on their own projects and return to family life.

Deepvoid
11-29-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure they are gonna hit secondary markets in 2014.

billpulsipher
11-30-2013, 12:13 PM
So is whining about it. ;)

Seriously, you must be Trent's accountant or something. Why else would you be so bothered by the idea of another leg of touring? The more he tours=the more burned out he gets=the longer break between the next album/tour...you people seem greedy like you just want TR to tour for the next 5 years nonstop for you own personal amusement

BRoswell
11-30-2013, 01:24 PM
The more he tours=the more burned out he gets=the longer break between the next album/tour

And the longer you have to wait to complain about said album/tour! :p

...you people seem greedy like you just want TR to tour for the next 5 years nonstop for you own personal amusement

Yeah, pretty sure nobody feels that way. We're just not interested in whining about things that really don't matter. Besides, waiting a few years for a new album/tour is the norm now.

icklekitty
11-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Sweet little babies. Remember when we went 6 years without barely a sniff of NIN news?

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-30-2013, 02:21 PM
No one's gonna ask him to do an insane run of touring like the last one. But did you notice that he only got burned out on the touring part of it?

Wish I had that kind of energy.

FULLMETAL
11-30-2013, 03:06 PM
It seemed like a quasi-vacation with the family, so I wonder if the burn-out factor might be mitigated for the time being? Regardless, I hope at least one of the European dates gets an FM broadcast.

billpulsipher
11-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Look at his history of long tours where he ended up burning out..He usually takes LONG breaks after each tour..So if you want another 2014 USA run, my guess it will be the last run til 2018.....besides, its been a long time since I got facepalmed, I missed it...

BRoswell
11-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Look at his history of long tours where he ended up burning out..He usually takes LONG breaks after each tour..So if you want another 2014 USA run, my guess it will be the last run til 2018

Wow. Four years. That's SUCH a long time to wait...unless you're a Nine Inch Nails fan.

The source of your annoyance still eludes me. If I'm reading correctly, your concern is that, because Trent and the gang are going to be touring well into 2014, that will mean that Trent will want to take a break from Nine Inch Nails again. If that's the case, then you are worrying over nothing at this point. If he wants to take a break, he'll take a break. It'll suck for us fans, but let's worry about that if/when the time comes. What you're doing right now is akin to feeling a raindrop and thinking the sky is going to come crashing down.

Frydek
11-30-2013, 05:57 PM
You guys never have enough! He's just finished touring in North America and you want him back already?

Let the rest of the world have a piece of TR and then he can go back to NA for an acoustic solo tour :p

icecream
11-30-2013, 06:34 PM
With all of the festival, Tension, Aus, then Europe shows I hope they take some time to rest. NIN puts on a great show but I would rather have a well rested band than a tired band if they decide to come back for a second N.A leg

gorast
11-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Much as I would like a two-month amphitheatre tour in 2014, I'd also be fine with him sitting out for a while after Europe. I've got my NIN live fix, I can die happy.

sick among the pure
11-30-2013, 08:33 PM
You guys never have enough! He's just finished touring in North America and you want him back already?

Let the rest of the world have a piece of TR and then he can go back to NA for an acoustic solo tour :p

I can wait 5+ years between albums and tours, but that doesn't mean I want to. And I think that is really the main thing to keep in mind when you see people talking about another leg in the US.
Sure, I just saw NIN in October, but knowing that there will be a show I can physically make it to within the next year or two is wonderful. I'm not saying "he has to play in my living room next month or else I'm going to lose it." and I don't think anyone here is. It's just knowing that he will be back, and knowing when, it's calming. Especially after that "I'm done touring forever" scare we just got over.

Sandy Phimester
11-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Not sure about anyone else, although I assume it's mostly the case, but I don't feel it's greedy or not giving a shit about what happens afterwards (ie: burnt out). It's just being a big fan of NIN, and speculating and having fun thinking about the possibilities. Whatever happens - happens, but I feel like every chance I get to go.... I should. So of course I want more, he's gonna do what he's gonna do, we can just have fun discussing what we think about it.

I was initially really curious because of how 2013 Tension held up for everyone (or not for some?), I was really pleased with my 2 shows this year...

billpulsipher
12-01-2013, 12:53 AM
The longer he tours, the more I am convinced this is the final NIN go round

littlemonkey613
12-01-2013, 09:42 PM
The longer he tours, the more I am convinced this is the final NIN go round

Idk about that but I do think next time he says goodbye its going to be to the entire brand. The thought horrifies me though.

icecream
12-01-2013, 10:44 PM
I was initially really curious because of how 2013 Tension held up for everyone (or not for some?), I was really pleased with my 2 shows this year...
I thought Tension was great, 100% satisfied. The bad really put a lot into making the show something really amazing. The lights were great too.

Your Name Here
12-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I heard a rumor that from the Hesitation Marks recording sessions that there was enough material for three albums, has anybody considered that sometime next year he drops another album and does another US tour?

Zipfinator
12-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I heard a rumor that from the Hesitation Marks recording sessions that there was enough material for three albums, has anybody considered that sometime next year he drops another album and does another US tour?

That's been said of The Fragile too. I doubt it.

Krazy
12-01-2013, 11:44 PM
"They" signed a record deal with Columbia (that also includes HTDA). I know Jack shit about record deals/contracts but I'm willing to bet it wasn't for just one record (HM).

I personally hope TR rides this out through 2014 with these changing mini tours, takes a break, and does it all over again. This is his profession and it's how he pays the bills- no one should be complaining as long as they're entertained by it. And you aren't then move on. Simple as that.

brokenfragility
12-02-2013, 12:26 AM
1) .....the reality is, the album basically died after 2 months

I just want to respond to this by saying....you know this because of sales numbers right? Are you living in the fucking stone ages, an album's continued success at reaching new people has nothing to do with album sales. The hardcore fans are the only people that ever buy albums from anyone anymore, have you ever heard of Spotify, this really big streaming service that a lot of casual listeners use? Well, I'll assume your head isn't buried in the ground and you have, so you should go look at the continued plays Hesitation Marks gets on there. I know a lot of non-NIN fans and very casual NIN fans who love Hesitation Marks. Did any of them buy the album? Nope. They listen on Spotify, or Grooveshark, or whatever. You're an idiot.

With that said I would like to hope all this is just building momentum for more NIN stuff, if there is a possibility of a new album, I would rather him work on that than tour again in 2014 (but we all know he can do both at the same time *cough* Year Zero *cough)

billpulsipher
12-02-2013, 11:55 AM
IF you think this album is a success, then you're the idiot. The fucking arena's didn't even sell out half the time. Take your head out of TR's ass and look at the facts for once. I would guess he lost money on Tension or broke even if he was lucky. He didn't sign to a major label so people could listen to the album on fucking spotify

ethan829
12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
IF you think this album is a success, then you're the idiot. The fucking arena's didn't even sell out half the time. Take your head out of TR's ass and look at the facts for once. I would guess he lost money on Tension or broke even if he was lucky. He didn't sign to a major label so people could listen to the album on fucking spotify

Yeah, he said he was paying for the tour/effects/light show out of pocket in a recent interview. So? That doesn't make the album or the tour a failure.

BRoswell
12-02-2013, 02:03 PM
The fucking arena's didn't even sell out half the time.

You do realize that a concert doesn't have to be completely sold out for it to be a success, right?

And Jesus, I've never seen a fan so obsessed with Trent's finances.

Ryan
12-02-2013, 03:26 PM
billpulsipher, stop being a cunt.

billpulsipher
12-02-2013, 04:00 PM
HM is no longer in the top 200 charts btw....sounds like grounds to book another US tour....My point is, when TR signed to a MAJOR LABEL, and booked this massive tour playing huge arena's, he even said it seems like NIN is bigger than ever...I think they all misjudged everything and assumed the album would do huge numbers and sell out every single arena and it will be 1994 all over again...When all was said and done, its 2008 all over again. The band isn't any bigger, they still have problems selling out arenas (play smaller places for god sake) and the album didnt sell any better than Slip..I am sure Columbia isn't too happy.....When an album dies, you usually stop touring and start working on the next project, you don't keep touring and touring and touring unless you're Pearl Jam or Depeche Mode and wanna make money before disappearing for another 5 years

frankie teardrop
12-02-2013, 04:28 PM
billpulsipher, stop being a cunt.

pretty please?

Sandy Phimester
12-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Not sure why the negative attitude is necessary.

I suppose the obvious truth about this touring thing in 2014 is that.... we will just have to wait and see. The tours get announced with some good time between.... so if we wanna know... we shall know by spring for sure. I suppose. I'm fairly certain that he didn't just come back to NIN for 1 album and 1 year of touring. We'll get something else either way. I was pleased with Tension, loved the show, want more, but will wait however long (NIN wait times!) it takes.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Oh man, this thread is just begging for Trent to come crashing through here and rip us all a new one. But I guess he already has his hands full with two small children of his own. :p

Seriously though, the music industry is going through a massive transition. Nobody knows how it's gonna fall out. I'm sure TR has a little billpulsipher on his shoulder telling him he's an idiot too. The difference being that they actually have enough info to know if there's any truth in it.

All any of us has got is pure speculation, and our billpulsipher would be good to remember that he's in the same boat. ;)

Scarlet Siren
12-02-2013, 07:00 PM
There WILL be a second US leg in August 2014. Just wait and see... Be patient.

Krazy
12-02-2013, 08:50 PM
and the album didnt sell any better than Slip.

I, uhhhhh.... I don't even know how to answer THIS! Are you basing it off the 250,000 printed copies of TS? I'm sure a shit load of those are still floating around unsold on shelves. Only people that bought it are die-hards and collectors.

While I agree the popularity of NIN live isn't what it was in '94, I guarantee they weren't selling out every show back then either. Like others have already said a "technical sell out" isn't the only way to judge how well a show did. I'm sure they know better than us- there were shows right from the beginning where the arena was half blocked (example: Phoenix), and if a show like that ended up selling well they'd open up more of the venue (example: Seattle). There were others that ended up with the upper sections closed off and moved all people to lower bowls.

I've got no way of judging it but my guess would be attendance figures were better than LITS.

billpulsipher
12-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Point is there is no reason to even be booking big arena's and doing 18 month tours anymore. You do that shit when the album is blowing up....Just tone it down to a 4-5 month tour playing clubs and amphitheatre's, which is what they should be playing anyway. NIN is not a 10-15,000 seat arena band....The fact they are booking big arenas in Europe is going to even be a bigger shellshock when those are half empty considering how badly NIN is supported over there

BRoswell
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Point is there is no reason to even be booking big arena's and doing 18 month tours anymore. You do that shit when the album is blowing up....Just tone it down to a 4-5 month tour playing clubs and amphitheatre's, which is what they should be playing anyway. NIN is not a 10-15,000 seat arena band....The fact they are booking big arenas in Europe is going to even be a bigger shellshock when those are half empty considering how badly NIN is supported over there

Uh huh, and where did you get your knowledge of how bands should tour, O Wise One?

The POINT is this: the person who knows for sure whether or not touring on that level is a good idea or not...is the guy who is singing into the mic every night of said touring. I don't think he would be doing this if it wasn't financially viable, cause putting on this level of production isn't cheap, and I'm not just talking about all the fancy lights and screens. The rest of the band has to be paid, as well as the crew who sets everything up. Trent's not an idiot, and I can't imagine him setting up these tours without figuring in ticket costs, promotion travel expenses, salaries, etc. But hey, what do I know? I'm not Trent, and neither are you.

sick among the pure
12-02-2013, 10:19 PM
HM is no longer in the top 200 charts btw ... assumed the album would do huge numbers ... the album didnt sell any better than Slip..I am sure Columbia isn't too happy..

Didn't The Fragile bomb in week #2? And most people would agree that The Fragile is either Trent's best, or second best, album he's ever released.

RECORD
SALES
DON'T
MEAN
SHIT

Just shut up nobody is going to change their mind because of your constant pissing. All you're doing is whipping out your metaphorical diseased shriveled dick, shoving it people's faces, and yelling at them to look at it.

Krazy
12-02-2013, 10:24 PM
- They did the festival go-round late this summer (which looks like a success and I'm sure they got paid handsomely for it).

- Arena fall tour was only 2 months, and while some shows that didn't sell so well there were a number of them that sold very well.

- They are NOT doing an 18 month tour ala WT- it's clearly a world tour with mini segments, giving them time to regroup and not get burnt out in between.

When in the hell are they supposed to do the ampitheater tour for HM like you suggest? It's/was too damn cold out. Look at who and when they do those things- it typically starts late spring and can go through summer (again, a timing thing- it is what it is). Also amphitheaters typically hold more people than an arena so attendance is a moot point with that (I'm guessing its cheaper to book an ampitheater compared to an arena due to operating costs though, whether that gets passed down to ticket buyers is anyone's guess).

I'd agree with the Europe thing- curious to see the turn out for those shows. I did look at the London O2 tickets and last I saw was only upper level seating available.

nooneimportant
12-02-2013, 10:28 PM

What is your idea of success? Is it to end up becoming mainstream? You would hate that shit if he became mainstream probably, so what the hell are you trying to say? You wouldn't be happy if Trent paid a visit to your house and had a conversation with you or would you kiss his ass in an attempt to make up for all the dumb shit you've said about him?

Do you even think before you post?

Krazy
12-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Didn't The Fragile bomb in week #2? And most people would agree that The Fragile is either Trent's best, or second best, album he's ever released.

Well put.

A good comparison to TF is Tool's Lateralus- although I think that sold better than TF early on (goes to check wiki). People didn't care much for it at first, too "proggy" and at times boring, and what not, now it's considered their benchmark masterpiece.

gorast
12-02-2013, 11:24 PM
This is off-topic, but I have to say, billpulsipher vs the entirety of ETS is my new favorite thing.

sick among the pure
12-02-2013, 11:27 PM
This is off-topic, but I have to say, billpulsipher vs the entirety of ETS is my new favorite thing.

Same. I don't know which side to cheer for. :D

Krazy
12-02-2013, 11:37 PM
America's favorite pastime:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/16B28582-291F-4FE8-82C8-48B1F0B31536.jpg (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/GoatKrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/16B28582-291F-4FE8-82C8-48B1F0B31536.jpg.html)

fillow
12-02-2013, 11:56 PM
billpulsipher doesn't like new josh wink album. WE FUCKING GET IT.
now can we please stop feeding him?

m15a
12-02-2013, 11:57 PM
yeah . . . any chance we can not let one poster derail every thread?

uhhhm . . for the next tour, i want NIN to play the last 3 or 4 tracks from every album. but, honestly, i'm not dying for another NIN tour right now. i'm really happy with the tension shows i saw, and i'm really poor. :D

billpulsipher doesn't like new josh wink album. WE FUCKING GET IT.
now can we please stop feeding him?
twinsies!

Sandy Phimester
12-03-2013, 12:35 AM
I'll go broke! Haha. I wonder if he will be taking the backup singers for the next bits of touring or if the more stripped down electronic sound is sorta..... not gonna jive with what they bring?

sick among the pure
12-03-2013, 12:50 AM
I'll go broke! Haha. I wonder if he will be taking the backup singers for the next bits of touring or if the more stripped down electronic sound is sorta..... not gonna jive with what they bring?

I love the backup singers, but I'm worried that they won't be around. Hope I'm wrong.

Hyperpower
12-03-2013, 01:39 AM
i was only able to attend one show on this tour (Toronto) and i couldn't find an empty seat so im not sure what to make of some of these comments about other shows being half empty.
as for a club tour? i've never been able to get tickets to any nin club tour and seeing the demand for nin around these parts, i doubt i can get tickets for a club tour.

personally, i would like to see one more show at least, i'll keep hoping :)

jessamineny
12-03-2013, 07:33 AM
i was only able to attend one show on this tour (Toronto) and i couldn't find an empty seat so im not sure what to make of some of these comments about other shows being half empty.

That's not unusual. QOTSA also sold out the ACC in Toronto, but had trouble filling some 3,000-capacity venues in smaller markets. In Nashville, for instance, they only sold 2,300 of 5,300 seats. (And their tickets were about half of NIN's price.) But in two weeks, they'll be headlining Barclay's in Brooklyn, which is bigger than the ACC.

nashstat
12-03-2013, 10:06 AM
My $.02 on this:

1. Historical Facts -History dictates that NIN will be back next year in the US. Look at the Fragility tours, LITS, With Teeth Tour era etc. They always did a first round in NA, then followed it up with around the world, then back in the US. I don't expect the second round production to be as complex as Tension, but at the same time I don't think it will be NINJA either.

2. Production - NIN just put a special production for festivals this past summer, not sure how many bands do that, but it was exclusively made for the 14-15 or so festivals they headlined. Even though it might be minimalist for NIN, it beat any other exclusive festival production that I have seen. They followed that by a full NIN production. Again history dictates that Tension won't be the last big production tour they do. TR loves doing these big shows, and as he said he feels responsible to the fans! TR even said the same thing about LITS, and here we are with Tension 2013.

Bottom line - They will tour again and they will tour big. I went to Seattle and Phoenix for Tension 2013, while in Phoenix they only had the lower bowl seats avail (upper sections were blacked out), Seattle was a completely packed house and they even sold out the upper sections! Phoenix though is not a music market, the only acts that sell out there are your everyday radio sellouts!

billpulsipher
12-03-2013, 11:38 AM

RECORD
SALES
DON'T
MEAN
SHIT

Just shut up nobody is going to change their mind because of your constant pissing. All you're doing is whipping out your metaphorical diseased shriveled dick, shoving it people's faces, and yelling at them to look at it.

Fragile ended up selling over 1 million and "bombed"...HM wont hit 25 percent of that......The fact you people want TR playing 15,000 seat arenas when he cant fill them is laughable.....Don't blame me. Blame the assholes who aren't buying tickets

jessamineny
12-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Perhaps it was more important to TR that he present a grand stage show in arenas that (mostly) weren't full, than to present a more generic stage show in mid-size venues that would sold out.

You know. Perhaps.

skullboy0
12-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Perhaps it was more important to TR that he present a grand stage show in arenas that (mostly) weren't full, than to present a more generic stage show in mid-size venues that would sold out.

You know. Perhaps.

Or maybe some of the markets that didn't sell out don't have a smaller venue than the one they played that was still large enough to handle the production & have enough seats to fill demand?

In Minneapolis they played the Xcel Energy Center which Wikipedia claims has capacity of around 13k for end stage concerts. I couldn't find exact numbers for the Target Center, but their website listed the top 20 events with the highest attendance & they're in the 19-20k range.

Since I'm not familiar with other venues in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, here's the capacities of the larger venues in the Chicago area (per wikipedia). United Center 23.5k, Allstate Arena 18.5k, Sears Centre 11.8k, UIC Pavillion 10k, Rosemont Theater & Aragon Ballroom are both around 4.5k. The Joint in Las Vegas is listed as 4k, the production didn't fit the venue, & they played two nights (granted a lot of out-of-town people went to both nights)

So I would say something in the 10k range is the smallest they could play & still accomodate the Tension production. (obviously the ceiling needs to support the rigging for the show, Calgary had capacity to spare for the crowd, but couldn't handle the rigging)

cahernandez
12-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Fragile ended up selling over 1 million and "bombed"...HM wont hit 25 percent of that......The fact you people want TR playing 15,000 seat arenas when he cant fill them is laughable.....Don't blame me. Blame the assholes who aren't buying tickets

Well, welcome to 2013. No one buys records anymore. Miley Cyrus sold 270k of her album and she's one of the best selling artists of this year. It's not 1999 anymore.

And regarding your tickets comment: I went to the Toronto show and had to go through StubHub to get GA tickets. Floor was sold out and most of the lower level sold out. I looked into going to the Seattle and Vancouver shows and TM showed that both floors were sold out. I ended up buying (on TM) lower level seats for Vancouver, they were not the best but still good. But, three shows I looked into, three shows with floor sold out. The lower bowl of Vancouver was pretty much sold out, the upper bowl was not as packed but not empty. Same for Toronto. So, from my personal experience, I can say that NIN sold a good amount of tickets (not excellent, just good, but that was to be expected with the higher prices).

Did you go to multiple dates in this tour, and if so, which ones and what kind of attendance did you notice?

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Selling out a large arena isn't necessarily a good thing when a large percentage of the audience is gonna have seats that suck.

BRoswell
12-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Did you go to multiple dates in this tour, and if so, which ones and what kind of attendance did you notice?

I hate to speak for Mr. Expert, but it would seem he's been to a whopping ZERO shows this year.

Selling out a large arena isn't necessarily a good thing when a large percentage of the audience is gonna have seats that suck.

Not to mention that selling out an entire arena is impossible, since 1/3 of the arena is usually blocked off because the seats are behind the stage.

billpulsipher
12-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Slayer plays clubs and amphitheatres and they are as big as NIN at this point...and I have been to 2 shows for the record

cahernandez
12-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Slayer plays clubs and amphitheatres and they are as big as NIN at this point...and I have been to 2 shows for the record

Yeah, but I asked you how many people did you see at those shows. I'm not trying to bash you or anything, I'm just asking for your personal observation, I'm curious about why you're saying that NIN did not sell well. I told you that in Vancouver and Toronto it was mostly packed, and I looked into going to Seattle but there weren't many good seats left (only upper bowl available on TM - I did not buy tickets right away because I'm looking into moving away from the PNW so when the tickets went on sale I didn't know if I was going to be here or not by the time of the shows). So my personal experience tells me that NIN indeed sold well for this tour (but it's only considering three shows).

So, what kind of attendance did you notice in the two shows you went to?

Krazy
12-03-2013, 07:17 PM
I love me some Slayer, but I HIGHLY doubt they're getting attendance numbers like NIN where they're the only headlining act (i.e. not counting things like Gigantour, festivals, etc.). And with Lombardo out of the line-up it probably strayed some people away from seeing them, and the recent death of Hanneman. Last time I saw them was here in Milwaukee a few years back at The Rave/Ballroom (it would be in the category of a "club"- capacity max of 5,000 I think) headlining with Megadeth and Anthrax- that show barely sold out, I think it did a day or two before the concert. NIN played the same venue early in '06 for WT and it sold out very quickly.

FULLMETAL
12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Fun fact: In October of last year, I stayed in the same Japanese hotel as Slayer & sat behind Kerry in the hotel's executive lounge (sadly, i was too chicken to say anything). It was metal as fuck!

jessamineny
12-03-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't know why I'm bothering with this, but these are recent tour dates for Slayer and Nine Inch Nails.

New York City: Slayer played the Theater at Madison Square Garden (5,600 capacity). NIN played Barclay's (19,000 capacity)
Montreal: Slayer, Universite de Montreal CEPSUM (5,100). NIN, Bell Centre (15,000).
Toronto: Slayer, Kool Haus (2,000-3,000, depending on the source). NIN, Air Canada Center (15,800).
Pittsburgh: Slayer, Stage AE (2,400 indoors). NIN, Petersen Events Center (9,000).
Washington Area: Slayer, Fillmore in Silver Spring (2,000). NIN, Verizon Center (20,000).

Aaaaand etc.

vv??? Yours and mine are the only posts refuting him.

Krazy
12-03-2013, 08:14 PM
I think the point is taken. Can we not turn this into a NIN vs Slayer thing? I like* Slayer, lol.

*but I LOVE NIN. ;-)

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Not to mention that selling out an entire arena is impossible, since 1/3 of the arena is usually blocked off because the seats are behind the stage.
Somehow, I think bill won't be happy until they sell the seats behind the screens and all the bathroom stalls — double occupancy.

billpulsipher
12-04-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm not dissing Slayer lol. All I meant is they should be playing the same size venues

Krazy
12-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm not dissing Slayer lol. All I meant is they should be playing the same size venues

If NIN played those same venues we would all be bitching about how much if a pain in the ass it is to get tickets, along with scalpers insane prices/Ebay. (See the '09 Wave Goodbye shows for reference)

That other guy
12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
If Trent was visiting this site I would say "Please , Please" do another round of Tension staging , then finish with club tour " I myself have not seen NIN in this format" , Oh and Add Buffalo NY on the tour list , been over 13 years ,

http://www.nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=415

cahernandez
12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
If Trent was visiting this site I would say "Please , Please" do another round of Tension staging , then finish with club tour " I myself have not seen NIN in this format" , Oh and Add Buffalo NY on the tour list , been over 13 years ,

http://www.nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=415

You should had gone to the Toronto date, it was a stone's throw away!

That other guy
12-04-2013, 01:33 PM
You should had gone to the Toronto date, it was a stone's throw away!

I went to Cleveland , planned on going to more after that , but surgery of the arm screwed that up...

billpulsipher
12-04-2013, 02:37 PM
http://www.ninwiki.com/Fall_1995_Club_Tour why isn't more known about this tour, it sounds fucking epic.

icecream
12-04-2013, 03:20 PM
I just hope TR doesn't wear himself out like he did from WT to LITS and want to retire NIN again. I don't mind waiting 4+ years for a new album and tour. He has a fam with young kids now, that should come first.

WorzelG
12-04-2013, 03:43 PM
The way people are talking in this thread you'd think TR was hobbling about in a zimmer frame. This isn't an abnormally long tour, 14 festival dates, a north American arena tour then proper international tour and maybe more us dates after. With months off inbetween each leg.
I'm sure the reason for being burnt out before was because he did this length tour and then did the same thing twice more straight after each other, so it was 5 years of touring. This is just normal IMO

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-04-2013, 06:26 PM
If NIN played those same venues we would all be bitching about how much if a pain in the ass it is to get tickets, along with scalpers insane prices/Ebay. (See the '09 Wave Goodbye shows for reference)
Groan … don't remind me.

Ash512
12-05-2013, 06:38 AM
I don't know why I'm bothering with this, but these are recent tour dates for Slayer and Nine Inch Nails.

New York City: Slayer played the Theater at Madison Square Garden (5,600 capacity). NIN played Barclay's (19,000 capacity)
Montreal: Slayer, Universite de Montreal CEPSUM (5,100). NIN, Bell Centre (15,000).
Toronto: Slayer, Kool Haus (2,000-3,000, depending on the source). NIN, Air Canada Center (15,800).
Pittsburgh: Slayer, Stage AE (2,400 indoors). NIN, Petersen Events Center (9,000).
Washington Area: Slayer, Fillmore in Silver Spring (2,000). NIN, Verizon Center (20,000).

Aaaaand etc.

vv??? Yours and mine are the only posts refuting him.

Not that it really matters (your point still stands) but your numbers are wrong. Bell Center has an 11 000 capacity when set up with a an end stage (15 000 is for center stage and 21 000 is the theoretical absolute, making it the biggest arena in North America). Air Canada Center has a similar capacity of 11,000 but Barclay's is much, much smaller, probably around 8,000 with end stage.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Amazon is putting HM (CD and vinyl) on sale from 1-4 pm PST today, which is … about 90 minutes from now.

Maybe this will be the big sales spike billpulsipher is waiting for. :p

F-JD
12-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Trent on Reddit:

Yes, we are planning to return to North America in 2014

Sandy Phimester
12-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Yesssssssssssss!

Edit: Sorry, my happiness got the best of me :)

This is something that was sort assumed by some, like.... "they probably will", but it's nice to know they'll be back in North America in 2014! Yay.

Sandy Phimester
12-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Interesting to read the entire response from the reddit thread...

Trent, can we expect another U.S. leg of touring in 2014? If so, any thoughts of playing rarer or previously un-played songs?

permalink (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdueqls)

[–] (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/#)trent-reznor (http://www.reddit.com/user/trent-reznor)[S (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/)] 521 points 7 hours ago
Here are some thoughts on touring: When we commit to a touring cycle, it usually is at least a year long, and can start to feel stale after X amount of time. What I'm doing this cycle is making each leg of the tour have its own identity. The festival run we did over the summer was very different from the Tension tour we just finished. We're currently rehearsing with a new incarnation of the band for what's ahead. This keeps things fresh from a musician's perspective, but also keeps things interesting for fans in an era where every show ends up on YouTube. The setlist and presentation moving forward will be very different from what we just did. That's part of the incentive behind releasing the Tension footage now. That was one very specific look at Nine Inch Nails in the Fall of 2013, that I wanted the whole world to be able to see (just like you can see the festival footage on YouTube, which was its own thing). Yes, we are planning to return to North America in 2014...

So good chance that it's gonna be a lot of different songs, and in different ways..... maybe. Either way, I love it.

Omega
12-05-2013, 10:49 PM
'The setlist and presentation moving forward will be very different from what we just did.'

Interesting!

'Yes, we are planning to return to North America in 2014...'

:D

Sandy Phimester
12-06-2013, 12:48 AM
So whoever said it before, that it was a good guess that he was breaking up the touring instead of like 2 really long tours in a row, breaking it up into smaller chunks with time in between + different sort of vibe to each tour...... was right. Good call. and feels great to hear.

trollmanen
12-06-2013, 07:07 AM
I wasn't surprised to hear Pino and the backup singers weren't going to continue on into 2014, but I was surprised to hear that Josh won't be in the band. Ally played bass for the HTDA shows, but I wouldn't think he'd do that for a NIN show where he's got enough keyboard stuff going on. So no bass player, weird. I hope Trent didn't just kick him out.

maryelle
12-06-2013, 09:34 AM
He could always add someone - the lineup changed several times before this tour.

I can't imagine that Ally would be on bass full-time; nor that they'd just do without a bass player. I guess they could but it would be jarring to see nobody up there.

What I wouldn't give to see Lohner back up there but I know that's not gonna happen.

m33k
12-06-2013, 12:16 PM
though the chance is just about zero, it's fun to think about trent picking up bass duties.

thevoid99
12-06-2013, 02:25 PM
While I do like the idea of a four-piece NIN band again, I really think they need a bass player. Either get Justin or Danny back in the band. Maybe they can get someone established in the same line like Pino.

screwdriver
12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
though the chance is just about zero, it's fun to think about trent picking up bass duties.

he played a healthy amount of bass in fragility

nashstat
12-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Sorry to say but Slayer is not as big as NIN. I have not done the math or checked the stats, but NIN has headlined some of the biggest music fests in the world (Coachella, Outside Lands, Voodoo, Made in America, Bonaroo etc.) Slayer would not be asked to headline these fests, they would just be a "regular" band there! Some of the peeps that NIN has co-headlined with in those festivals? Coldplay, Paul McCartney, Beyonce, Red Hot Chili Peppers... list goes on and on! You get my point!

Sandy Phimester
12-06-2013, 04:13 PM
The bass player thing is odd, but it's true that line-up changes happened a lot before this previous tour. Who knows. Although he did say the next immediate round was more electronic based, so....maybe to keep things simple for the further away stuff they went with the easiest possible solution....

That other guy
12-07-2013, 01:21 AM
While I do like the idea of a four-piece NIN band again, I really think they need a bass player. Either get Justin or Danny back in the band. Maybe they can get someone established in the same line like Pino.

Its a bass player who cares.. Im sure 4 of them can work it out..

TheRealNs1
12-07-2013, 02:11 AM
trent on reddit:

SO MANY LIKES. JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

caps.

TheRealNs1
12-07-2013, 02:12 AM

Am I the only one that liked Josh!? He has that energy about him that I so equate with NIN.

//edit

But I see he's not coming back :(

icecream
12-07-2013, 12:31 PM
We are probably all over thinking this. I bet they are having bass players come in and audition as I type this lol. Sometime before the Aus/NZ tour we will find out who it is.

thevoid99
12-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Oh!!! What if they got Nick Oliveri on the bass?

fillow
12-07-2013, 02:42 PM
I believe Manson isn't touring or recording now... c'mon Jeordie we need you back.

On another note, the bass guitarist is the only position in NIN lineup which hadn't a returning member even once.

RJK
12-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I believe Manson isn't touring or recording now... c'mon Jeordie we need you back.

On another note, the bass guitarist is the only position in NIN lineup which hadn't a returning member even once.

Danny Lohner was on Self Destruct and Fragility......

fillow
12-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Danny Lohner was on Self Destruct and Fragility......
Yeah, I meant a member who quit and then rejoined. Danny didn't.

sick among the pure
12-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I meant a member who quit and then rejoined. Danny didn't.

When has a drummer left and come back?

gorast
12-07-2013, 05:31 PM
When has a drummer left and come back?

NINwiki says (I'm saying this too much) that Vrenna was fired in 1991 and came back after, that's probably what fillow is counting. It's the only one that makes sense, since Jerome and Ilan didn't leave and come back, they just had a huge gap in their tenures because of NIN's inactivity.

nooneimportant
12-07-2013, 10:00 PM
NINwiki says (I'm saying this too much) that Vrenna was fired in 1991 and came back after, that's probably what fillow is counting. It's the only one that makes sense, since Jerome and Ilan didn't leave and come back, they just had a huge gap in their tenures because of NIN's inactivity.

Yeah, Jeff Ward played drums in 1991. Chris Vrenna came back for Self Destruct in 1994.

Jeff Ward was also the first NIN drummer to use an acoustic kit too, I think.

gorast
12-08-2013, 01:45 AM
I always thought Ward played guitar for some reason. He just seemed like a guitarist to me, I guess.

TheBang
12-08-2013, 03:53 PM
I found something just as good!

http://www.blueberryhill.com/images/chuckberrystatue/ChuckBerryStatue_site.jpg

nooneimportant
12-08-2013, 11:50 PM
I always thought Ward played guitar for some reason. He just seemed like a guitarist to me, I guess.

You might be thinking of Rich Ward from Stuck Mojo and Fozzy.

Charmingly Miserable
12-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Justin! Justin! Justin!

ryanmcfly
12-12-2013, 10:41 AM
I wonder what kind of venues the North American tour will be. I'm hoping for small to medium size ones.

Dom_
12-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I am really hoping for an amphitheatre tour like '09

That shit would make me happy

m33k
12-12-2013, 09:39 PM
he played a healthy amount of bass in fragility

fragility was a long time ago and i said "about zero.." ... of course there's a "chance" but that chance is slim to none.

i tend to think he's weighing his options.

Kyle
12-13-2013, 09:57 PM
If this is going to be a more electronic set why are people assuming there will be a bassist at all?

and regarding the previous dead horse - I was at Newark. That was supposedly one of the lower selling shows of the tour. And while there were definitely empty seats there, if that's as dead as it gets, the band is fine. It was definitely more than half full. And definitely way too full to fit those people in a smaller venue. And the people I were standing near? One group of people who were seeing NIN for the umpteenth time and one group seeing them for the first. Both that show and Made in America had a good mix of thirtysomethings who are clearly long time fans and younger people who are clearly not. But I know facts and logic are irrelevant to Bill so I'll stop now.

And has has trent actually said that the production would be more stripped down? I know he said its expensive but he knew it was going to be expensive going in. His big complaint seemed to be that the bills were starting to come in while the tour was still going on. Which isn't necessarily the same thing as losing money.

Sandy Phimester
12-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Yeah I don't think he ever actually said he was losing money, just that it was really expensive, and was coming out of his pocket, etc. (which does not necessarily mean anything other than he's helping to pay, or is paying). Dunno, I can't find the exact quote right now (probably my laziness at this hour).

The next go around, it isn't surprising there would be no bass player, due to the supposed emphasis on electronics on the next bit. If that's because it's a crazy distance and lots of far away places, and it's just easier to do it with less people and less instruments, then that's cool, or maybe it has nothing to do with that, and he wants to explore different set lists and ways of doing things. From the VEVO part 2 video it really seemed like that was the case, he wanted to break the year or year and a half of touring (cause he said they're coming back to NA as well) up - break it up into different ways of doing things so it's not getting stale.

Volband
12-14-2013, 06:03 AM
I really hope this "more electonic stuff" was only meant for the AUS leg of the tour, or at least it will be something like Perf 2007, where he played songs like NYD or Ruiner.

fillow
12-14-2013, 10:14 AM
To think about it, I'm now pretty sure that 'more electronic stuff' just means reintroducing songs like Vessel and The Warning back into setlist, reverting to festival versions of Copy of A and CBH, maybe reworking into new arrangement another song or two. Songs like Wish, The Hand that Feeds, March of the Pigs, Hurt and a lot more others aren't gonna get much different.

Kyle
12-14-2013, 10:21 AM
To think about it, I'm now pretty sure that 'more electronic stuff' just means reintroducing songs like Vessel and The Warning back into setlist, reverting to festival versions of Copy of A and CBH, maybe reworking into new arrangement another song or two. Songs like Wish, The Hand that Feeds, March of the Pigs, Hurt and a lot more others aren't gonna get much different.

thats pretty much what I assumed from the start. Although an electronic version of wish would definitely be interesting.

Volband
12-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Songs like Wish, The Hand that Feeds, March of the Pigs, Hurt and a lot more others aren't gonna get much different.
Did they EVER?? Changing MOTP's intro to bass, having slightly different electronic sounds during THTF and having/not having screens during Hurt is nowhere near playing Copy Of A or CBH with real drums, Closer merging with TOT, Sanctified being remade, etc.

Wish could get its' original lyrics. An electronic version of it also sounds very very interesting, not sure how it would translate, but imo it's worth a try. NIN's song catalog is huge enough to introduce a new heavy song into the setlist (Starfuckers (plssssssss), No You Dont, HIS, The Collector, YKWYA, Letting You) if he feels that the new version of Wish would not fill up the metal category enough in the live set.

MOTP is a crazy-ass song, it's definetly the easiest foreverstaple NIN song to shake up. Just from the top of my mind, he could merge it with BMWAG, or just make the "all the pigs, all lined up" ending even crazier with throwing - electronic? who knows - more shit there.

THTF's live version is way more electronic-heavy than the album version, so it gives some room to play around. If I were Trent I would take the 2013 festival version of the song (where he - most of the time - sang each chorus differently), and the only major change would be about the ending. For me, that's the only "not-that-interesting" part of the song though I know a lot of you loathe THTF for some reason.

Honestly, the less going on during Hurt, the better. There's no point brainstorming how could you shake it up, it's not meant for that.

And the last immovable object is HLAH, which if fucking HLAH, just keep the chorus and no one cares, just let us scream the chorus until our throat bleeds, and that's all. Hell, HLAH doesn't even need the band, just start up the lights and the pre-programmed background music, and the crowd will do just fine.

P.S.: - make Sunspots a staple during the next tour
- ???
- Trent's pocket will be filled with $$$

P.S.2: Trent, make a one-time only show in billpulisipher's bedroom, where you play Broken with a 3-piece band - no women; ain't no pussy gonna fuck this show up, they'll be in the kitchen cooking sth or other women stuff yo -, smoke a joint with bill, beat your two bandmembers up, then puke on bill while dedicating his Self Destruct Tour shirt.

BRoswell
12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
I really hope some Ghosts tracks make their way into the setlists on the next tour. There's so much potential there, and the fact that the last two tours haven't featured any tracks from the album is kind of frustrating in my opinion.

billpulsipher
12-14-2013, 03:17 PM
The less Year Zero songs the better......

fillow
12-14-2013, 03:43 PM
✓ no women
✓ no Aaron North
✓ no Year Zero
✓ no songs from new album (it's been dead for a while anyway)
✓ bring back DL and CC
✓ no lame talk show performances

Jesus, somebody give this guy a time machine already.

Volband
12-14-2013, 03:45 PM
YZ is not that beep-boopy as one might think.
- TBOTE and TGS are solid rock/metal/alternative (WHATEVER...) materials
- Capital G and God Given - with slight tweaks - could be songs on Hesitation Marks, they are rather groovy, than electronic, though I know you don't really dig that either
- Meet Your Master could easily be made into a track that could've been on Broken
- MVH would be crazy live, and just like MYM, it's not that hard to make it sound like a new MOTP
- AVOTT could be merged with another instrumental track
- In This Twilight and Zero-Sum are beautiful songs. I can see why one would detest Me, I'm Not, Vessel, The Warning, The Great Destroyer and The Greater Good, but in the case of these 2, the electronic sounds are just barely assisting the tracks, and definetly not leading them.

No, I don't think they will do a metal-heavy live version of MYM on a tour which will be more electronic-oriented, I'm just saying that if we are talking about NIN-live, we have to think outside of the box, especially since Trent is on fire now, and he's preaching everywhere that he doesn't want to do the same stuff twice. Also, I just don't think you can entirely label Year Zero. Less In This Twilight or less Vessel? It's not the same at all.

Kyle
12-14-2013, 04:16 PM

Cool. I thought I was the only one who liked Year Zero. But if Bill doesn't like it, clearly that's proof it's a good and well received album.

sick among the pure
12-14-2013, 06:24 PM
✓ no women
✓ no Aaron North
✓ no Year Zero
✓ no songs from new album (it's been dead for a while anyway)
✓ bring back DL and CC
✓ no lame talk show performances

Jesus, somebody give this guy a time machine already.

To be fair, I think a lot of us would love to go back in time and catch a Fragility performance. It's just that he's the only one hoping Trent will do it again. (in b 4 Bill tells us doesn't like The Fragile)

billpulsipher
12-14-2013, 10:36 PM
I think there's A LOT of people who would prefer TR play Fragile era songs over Year Zero...call me crazy but I would much rather here 'We're In This Together' or 'Looking Forward to Joining You' or Great Below over fucking Discipline or Survivalism..

ryanmcfly
12-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I would go batshit to see Year Zero in it's entirety.

BRoswell
12-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I think there's A LOT of people who would prefer TR play Fragile era songs over Year Zero...Including me

And that's perfectly fine. Just don't expect Trent to cater to your group's whims.

billpulsipher
12-14-2013, 10:41 PM
And that's perfectly fine. Just don't expect Trent to cater to your group's whims. He said recently that Fragile is his favorite album of his...so why not

ryanmcfly
12-14-2013, 10:43 PM
He played plenty off The Fragile on this last tour. Give me Ruiner and Heresy.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-14-2013, 11:05 PM
He said recently that Fragile is his favorite album of his...so why not
“Favorite” and “everything else sucks” are two different things, though.

I picture him right now saying to himself, “Deeeeep breaths, deeeeeeep breaths…”

RGM81
12-15-2013, 12:17 AM
A little bit of everything (including Everything) is what I like to see for a band that has the deep catalogue that NIN does at this point in their career. They will never be able to please everybody simply because there are so many good songs from so many albums that work in a live environment regardless of whether TR is in an "electronic" or "rock" or "industrial" phase. When you've only got a couple hours worth of time in a set, some stuff that people really love isn't going to get played every night. I'm sure that, while many "long time" or "die hard" fans were really happy Closer got some time on the shelf during Tension, there were a lot of people wondering where it was. Me, I love the song Capital G but I'm not holding my breath waiting to hear it and that's fine. He's not going to build a setlist to satisfy me, nor any one individual. You just gotta go in there, enjoy your two hours, soak in the visceral experience of it all, and hopefully come away feeling better about the whole thing.

Now, play WITT.

Frydek
12-15-2013, 07:02 PM
To be fair, I think a lot of us would love to go back in time and catch a Fragility performance. It's just that he's the only one hoping Trent will do it again. (in b 4 Bill tells us doesn't like The Fragile)

I've seen NIN every tour since Fragility and as much as I love the era, I think the live performances have much improved since then. They almost looked like a
bunch of junkies back then where it feels more mature now.

Kyle
12-15-2013, 07:16 PM
They almost looked like a
bunch of junkies back then

Can't imagine why that would be.

NINisamazing
12-15-2013, 09:49 PM
I am good with not hearing year zero in its entirety. With that being said , I doubt that will ever happen.

Kyle
12-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Purest Feeling or GTFO!

icecream
12-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Billpulsipher can go fuck him/herself. NIN not selling out every show isn't the end of the world. http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/5820092/top-25-tours-of-2013

Roger Waters had the 11th highest grossing tour of the year and sold out 0 shows.
Beyonce had 19 shows that didn't sell out, almost half of One Directions shows didn't sell out. All through the list are the top acts touring this year and very few of them had 100% of the tickets sold. Many of them didn't play as many shows as NIN did. If Tension didn't stop in so many towns, I bet most of the shows would have sold out. Especially the ones in markets with large population density but smaller geographical region. I.E pacific northwest with the Van, Seattle and Portland shows. Or parts of New England or Florida that they played lots of shows in for a small region.

billpulsipher
12-16-2013, 09:55 AM
You lost me when you started comparing NIN to One Direction

Kyle
12-16-2013, 11:59 AM

You lost me when you implied that you weren't already lost.

sick among the pure
12-16-2013, 12:26 PM
PLOT TWIST
Bill is Trent trolling us, as revenge for bugging him about Tapeworm for so long.

I honestly keep going between "should I just put him on ignore so we can go back to having real conversations around here?" and "fuck no he's too amusing" to "oh god I think I'm having a stroke".

Kyle
12-16-2013, 12:42 PM
PLOT TWIST
Bill is Trent trolling us, as revenge for bugging him about Tapeworm for so long.

I honestly keep going between "should I just put him on ignore so we can go back to having real conversations around here?" and "fuck no he's too amusing" to "oh god I think I'm having a stroke".

Everything you posted here has already gone through my head.

edit - except the tapeworm part. I figured it was just for fun.

FULLMETAL
12-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Heh. I don't even know what we're talking about here. TR confirmed a 2014 US tour in his AMA. We've surmised the four piece version of NIN is going in a more electronic direction for the Asia/Australia/Latin America/Europe dates.

By the time NIN gets back to the US next summer/fall, he could decide to revise the lineup to a hybrid human & animatronic version and hit pizza restaurant venues.

Or, I could just be making that up after finding this link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbnN6QmdrH4

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I figure Rob and Trent would have like a dozen accounts between them so they can spread chaos and confusion amongst us. Whole threads might be nothing but Trent’s alter egos flaming each other.

sick among the pure
12-16-2013, 05:44 PM
I figure Rob and Trent would have like a dozen accounts between them so they can spread chaos and confusion amongst us. Whole threads might be nothing but Trent’s alter egos flaming each other.

ARG!!!!!

But honestly, I would love to see that, only because we've learned over the years that Trent is kinda great at trolling, and loves to fuck with us. Shut up sheepdean it was funny. I need sleep.

Kyle
12-16-2013, 07:46 PM
I'll bet you're Trent trying to throw us off.

icecream
12-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Are you dull? As I said, on that link I posted are the top 25 touring acts of 2013. Obviously major pop stars like One Direction or Justin Beiber are going to be on that list. My point of comparison was in the fact that like NIN; One Direction, Beyonce, or any other pop act was a touring force in 2013. Not only pop stars, but rock legends like Roger Waters and Fleetwood Mac had toured. Out of all the acts on that list, very few of them were 100% at capacity for the whole tour.

Sandy Phimester
12-16-2013, 11:05 PM
It's just someone being a bit dense, obviously.... as clearly what you wrote before was not comparing the two groups/artists/bands.... just the #s of people going to the tours, and their relative success and chart placement. Every forum has one or two.... :)

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-17-2013, 01:22 AM
I'll bet you're Trent trying to throw us off.
He does “sheepdean” with his pinkie fingers. True!

sheepdean
12-17-2013, 01:49 AM
I am really confused by this thread

skullboy0
12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Billpulsipher can go fuck him/herself. NIN not selling out every show isn't the end of the world. http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/5820092/top-25-tours-of-2013 (http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/5820092/top-25-tours-of-2013)
Would be nice if the list didn't use November 12 as the cutoff date, 9 of the 32 non-festival shows on the Tension leg were after that date. (don't think festival shows would count for gross & attendance as it's not just NIN)

Wonder if NIN would've made the list if the cutoff was more like November 30th?

FULLMETAL
12-17-2013, 11:49 AM
What you're asking is if NIN could have taken Iron Maiden's slot if the cutoff was November 30th? Probably not. It's an apples to oranges comparison at best, but Maiden was touring Europe for a lot of the dates (plus a fair number of festivals) during the sample with Megadeth/Anthrax/Slayer as openers. They sold out 13 of their 34 dates, and the total capacity was 764,186 with only 79,986 seats unsold.

I don't think we have any hard numbers for Tension, but I do recall the tour hitting a number of small arenas with a fair amount of unsold seats. So, I don't think the capacity of Tension was in the same level as Maiden's tour. I could be mistaken, but until we have real data… http://www.maniacworld.com/question-is-moot.html

FULLMETAL
12-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Following up on Iron Maiden's tour, this article was quite interesting in terms of how they targeted their online fans: http://www.citeworld.com/consumerization/22803/iron-maiden-musicmetric

Bringing it back to NIN, I hope 2014 will see a bit of a surge in ticket sales given the positive buzz of Tension, the release of the Tension DVD, the ACL broadcast, plus whatever happens with the early 2014 shows.

Cecil
12-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Does anyone have any sort of rough idea when the US14 tour would be? I'll be heading over to the States in July/Aug-ish, so hoping I can fit in a couple of shows if the times line up.

Sandy Phimester
12-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Does anyone have any sort of rough idea when the US14 tour would be? I'll be heading over to the States in July/Aug-ish, so hoping I can fit in a couple of shows if the times line up.

Like the last time this happened, I think it would be roughly around the same time Tension occurred. So like late fall 2014.