PDA

View Full Version : Wilco

Dinki Di
12-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Has anyone else gone to any of their recent shows with Nick Lowe opening? They are in top form lately. I just got back from my second night in a row seeing them and they are solidified as one of the greatest American bands touring today. At least in my book.

What did everyone think of The Whole Love?

Kid Charlemagne
12-02-2011, 01:58 AM
I was at the show tonight as well, and out of the five times I've seen them, this was by far the best. Opening with "Reservations" was a treat, and "Art of Almost" was fucking AMAZING! Nick Lowe was awesome too, especially when he covered "Alisson".

The Whole Love is pretty good. I think the first half is stronger than the second, but it's probably the best thing they've done since A Ghost Is Born.

Dinki Di
12-02-2011, 03:05 AM
I have to agree with you somewhat about The Whole Love. They were so close to hitting it out of the park. Great album none the less. All of the b-sides are stellar. Speak into the Rose really should have been included on the second half of the album.

Jinsai
12-02-2011, 03:23 AM
I have to agree with you somewhat about The Whole Love. They were so close to hitting it out of the park. Great album none the less. All of the b-sides are stellar. Speak into the Rose really should have been included on the second half of the album.

I like the album. It's my favorite thing they've put out since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Still, that b-side cover of "I Love My Label?" I hate the original version, and I hate Wilco's cover even more.

I'm going to the show at the Hollywood Palladium though. Should be good. I really really disliked that Wilco: The Album album, but the show I saw on that tour was amazing. Even the songs that I hated on that album came across pretty amazingly well live.

Kid Charlemagne
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
If I remember correctly, they only did one song off Wilco The Album, and that was "I'll Fight". The new songs sound pretty good live. Yet, every time I see them I tend to like the new album more once I actually hear the songs live. Oh, and "She's A Jar" was awesome, I've been dying to hear that live and I got goosebumps when I heard it.

Dinki Di
12-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure you are right about "I'll Fight". The night before they played "Black Bull Nova" and "One Wing" where Nels totally slayed. Dude looks like he is going to have an aneurysm whenever he does a solo. I was so excited to hear "Muzzle of Bees" after my friends and I requested it a few times on the Wilco website.

p.s. I think you were right behind me over by Nels last night? I vaguely remember your pic from the old board and just checked your twitter. I was The Road Warrior on the old board. I was on it since the beginning, but did not post too often.

Kid Charlemagne
12-03-2011, 02:01 AM
I was on Nels' side. I was the loser holding a tote bag.

Back to Nels though, the man is a GOD! The solo on "Muzzle of Bees" was so good, and then he had to play "Impossible Germany", which is probably the best guitar song in years, and he absolutely nails it, his hands were moving so fast. I was one of the guys leading the "NELS! NELS!" chant after he finished.

Dinki Di
12-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Haha. I was chanting with everyone else! Tweedy couldn't help but crack a smile when we did that.

Madmya
01-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Recommend me an album, bitches. I mean, please!

dlb
01-12-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm not a Wilco fan, but I had a swell time listening to their live record "kicking television".

imail724
01-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Recommend me an album, bitches. I mean, please!

Yankee hotel foxtrot for sure

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rdm
01-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Last tour I saw them on was the wilco the album tour and they were unbelievable live, defiantly one of the best live bands out there . I skipped the last show seeing how I disliked thier last album. I pretty much did not like anything on that album besides one Sunday morning, which sucks because I adore this band and I think they are capable of so much more .

Kid Charlemagne
01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I liked this last album more than I did Wilco the Album, saw them on The Whole Love Tour and they're still dynamic. I have a shitload of bootlegs and all of them are very good. Ryan, I'm surprised you didn't like "Art of Almost" off the last LP.

blackholesun
07-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Surprise! Wilco just released a new album for free on their website...called Star Wars!

http://images.jambase.com/features/newswirephotos/2015/wilcostarwarsJB.jpg

thevoid99
07-16-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm waiting for the email confirmation right now. That is awesome.

october_midnight
07-20-2015, 12:04 PM
And now....live dates to promote Star Wars.

08-01 Bridgeport, CT - Gathering of the Vibes
08-05 Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theatre
08-06 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
08-07 San Francisco, CA - Outside Lands
08-08 Bend, OR - Les Schwab Ampitheater *
08-09 Troutdale, OR - McMenamins Edgefield *
08-11 Seattle, WA - Marymoor Park #
08-12 Vancouver, British Columbia - Orpheum Theater #
08-14 Missoula, MT - Big Sky Brewing Company @
08-15 Sandpoint, ID - Festival at Sandpoint @
08-16 Ketchum, ID - River Run Lodge @
08-18 Salt Lake City, UT - Red Butte Garden @
09-16 Kalamazoo, MI - State Theatre !
09-17 Cleveland, OH - Masonic Auditorium !
09-19 Toronto, Ontario - Toronto Urban Roots Festival
09-20 Ottawa, Ontario - CityFolk Festival
09-21 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis !
09-23 Ithaca, NY - State Theatre !
09-24 Ann Arbor, MI - Hill Auditorium !
09-25 Bloomington, IN - IU Auditorium !
09-26 Franklin, TN - Pilgrimage Festival
09-28 New Orleans, LA - The Orpheum Theater !
09-29-30 Austin, TX - Stubb’s !
* with Speedy Ortiz
# with Jenny Lewis
@ with Vetiver
! with William Tyler

Kid Charlemagne
07-20-2015, 09:38 PM
New album is fantastic, reminds me a lot of A Ghost is Born as far as how it sounds. So stoked for the new tour though, I may skip the first weekend of Austin City Limits just to see two nights of Wilco at Stubbs.

blackholesun
07-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Was so happy to see they had a non-Outside Lands SF show (at a small venue nonetheless) only to find out it's already sold the fuck out. Of course it's an Outside Lands night show so OL ticket holders get the tix anyway. Damn.

chuckrh
12-03-2017, 05:26 PM
wilco is another favorite band of mine. nels cline is such a stunning guitar player. the whole band is tight. going back in time, just got the 2 new reissues. the one for being there is pretty awesome. 3 extra discs of basically unreleased material. 2 of them are an entire show from the troubadour in la with a morning becomes eclectic session also. very nice package. the am reissue sounds good but isn't quite the treasure trove but then again the album wasn't quite as good as being there either.

dvdglss
12-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Not really well versed with Wilco. I only know one song and I really like it:Impossible Germany. What record should I start with?

chuckrh
12-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Not really well versed with Wilco. I only know one song and I really like it:Impossible Germany. What record should I start with?
Kicking Television. Live record gives a good overview. Was done right at the beginning of current band. On the studio side probably Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Summerteeth. Ghost is Born & Being There are worth the effort, too. Sorry not precise. Hard to choose as they have a lot of great stuff.

allegate
10-02-2022, 10:54 PM
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Super Deluxe Edition) (https://wilcohq.bandcamp.com/album/yankee-hotel-foxtrot-super-deluxe-edition) has been released, and hey look it's on Bandcamp! Not only that but there's also a Deluxe Edition, Expanded Edition, Remastered Edition, and if you just want the album there's the actual release. All this is great, look at them go with technology!

Oh hold on, I'm getting reports that the only way they'll let you buy them is with a physical release. Well, the 'extra' versions at least. The Regular and Remastered have digital only options but not the rest. I'm not paying $212 for the Super Deluxe when I just want the extra tracks. I have a very nice HD music player that is attached to an excellent pair of balanced headphones. Give me the thing I can use wherever I want without the extras. Jesus.

talkingnothing
10-03-2022, 11:13 AM
Oh hold on, I'm getting reports that the only way they'll let you buy them is with a physical release.
I splurged for the 8 cd set, looks like still about $70 on Amazon. The Bandcamp listing looks like maybe you can get digital of the Deluxe (but not super-d). I've been listening all weekend to the various discs. in retrospect, the $30 for the digital deluxe on bandcamp may be a sweet spot. the live concert recording is pretty great as with most wilco concerts, and the in progress tracks included with that are the Unified Theory of Everything ones, which after hearing once are to me the most interesting. of course plenty of other interesting versions on the other 3 discs of in progress and demos, but no idea how much i will be going back to those. I also haven't compared the material here with the bootleg demos that i downloaded ages ago.

The book is pretty interesting, i finished reading the first part which is kinda a rundown of events written by a pro-liner-notes-writer. the second half is more a conversation between Jeff, Jim O'rourke who mixed the final album, and drummer Glenn Kotche. I still haven't read the copy of Jeff's autobiography i have so not sure how much is rehashed from there, but if you're into liner notes, maybe worth it.

I do agree (as with all these deluxe reissues by eveyone under the sun) that there should always be a way to get digital only of all included track (and throw in pdf of the liner notes too). Once i rip the disks i almost never touch any of my cds or box sets.

allegro
10-04-2022, 12:34 PM
September 18, 2001. Jeez.

https://youtu.be/zlxH9-TYseY