PDA

View Full Version : Aphex Twin

Pages : [1] 2 3

Halo Infinity
12-02-2011, 12:05 AM
My favorite Aphex Twin releases so far have been Classics, ...I Care Because You Do., Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and Selected Ambient Works Volume II. I first discovered Aphex Twin through listening to Further Down The Spiral and then seeing the music videos of Come to Daddy and Windowlicker.

Aside from that, I still wonder when the new album's coming out, but I'm certainly not holding my breath either. Either way, I just know that I'm going to have an incessant urge to check it out if it actually comes out. :)

http://www.drukqs.net/

https://twitter.com/AphexTwin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphex_Twin

Rossva
12-02-2011, 12:23 AM
SAW2 is one of the mst amazing albums of all time; clearly inspirational for mr Reznor also.

Great news there's a new Aphex twin due out

BRoswell
12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Really wish he would come out with another album, although he's released stuff under AFX and other names. SAWII is my favorite album of his.

botley
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
New album? Who wants to put out a new album when you can do fucking awesome shit like this (http://www.prefixmag.com/mobile/post/59104/)???

jrdsctt
12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Really wish he would come out with another album, although he's released stuff under AFX and other names. SAWII is my favorite album of his.

Recently in an interview he announced that he has about 6 albums worth of material waiting to be released. So get ready!

jrdsctt
12-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Here's the article where he talks about them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/oct/29/aphex-twin-six-albums-interview

Frozen Beach
12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd be iffy trusting anything he's said. He's known to tell lies.

jrdsctt
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I'd be iffy trusting anything he's said. He's known to tell lies.

It's hard to know if he is telling the truth or not, but it's also hard to believe that he has been off the map for so long and to have not been working on anything. It's already been like 6 years since the AFX stuff came out, there's gotta be something new.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 02:52 AM
how old were u when u first listened to Aphex Twin? i was 15, and it blew my friggin mind having never heard anything remotely experimental like that before. I Care Because You Do as an entrance into the crazier side of electronic music was quite the intro.

BRoswell
12-03-2011, 04:23 AM
I was fourteen. A friend from Scotland sent me SAWII and from then on I was hooked.

xmd 5a
12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I read about him on Wikipedia when I was 15. I had my mum get me a copy of I Care Because You Do when she was in England once based purely on the "freaky" cover. Was instantly hooked. I think the next album I got was Chosen Lords, which remains one of my absolute favourite RDJ releases.

jrdsctt
12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I got into him right around when David Firth was making those Salad Fingers flash cartoons. Firth uses a lot of Aphex music in his animations so he got me hooked. I was probably like 13 or 14. Completely revolutionized my musical self.

wizfan
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I was about 19. SAW1 was the first thing of his I heard and I was hooked ever since.

botley
09-23-2013, 09:00 AM
*taps foot impatiently, checks watch* C'monnnn Richard! 2013's almost drawing to a close, so hurry up and announce something that will REALLY cap off this amazing year of music in style.

henryeatscereal
09-23-2013, 09:21 AM
I really like Aphex Twin, sadly their records are really expensive over here, so i just own: "Come to Daddy", "Windowlicker" and Druqks... thank god for Spotify!

Have you ever heard this cover of "Flim"? I think it's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjL0GtGVE

Halo Infinity
09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I still wished that he'd also put out albums of whatever other best works he had. It's such a tease, especially since he claimed he'd never do it, all because he thought they were too good. :p

On the other hand, I still can't blame him for feeling out of it though, since he's been doing it since his late childhood and early teen years, so it's probably been like another day at the office for him ever since.

aggroculture
09-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Eh, this goose is cooked. Drukqs was one big meh. Kind of like The Fragile in being an overbloated selfindulgent bland mess of a double album that has strangely become a fan cult favourite.
Chosen Lords was more meh.
Don't get me wrong Richard D James and I Care Because You Do are among my favourite albums of all time.
But this guy peaked about 20 years ago, let's admit it.
Listen to Venetian Snares instead, he puts out albums every several months.

Iran_Ed
09-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Eh, this goose is cooked. Drukqs was one big meh. Kind of like The Fragile in being an overbloated selfindulgent bland mess of a double album that has strangely become a fan cult favourite.
Don't get me wrong Richard D James and I Care Because You Do are among my favourite albums of all time.

Thanks for the info. Let me go throw all those albums in the trash real quick.
Let's admit it, how dare people have different taste than yourself?
I'm very sorry you don't like Drukqs, but did you consider that maybe you're the one who's a little self indulgent?
Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to your opinion, but why post it in a thread dedicated to fans of the artist?

Frozen Beach
09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I wish Richard would do more piano work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJHsT8kEyzs

BRoswell
09-23-2013, 06:11 PM
I wish Richard would do more piano work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJHsT8kEyzs

I like how the sound of the ropes being pulled kind of becomes part of the song in a weird way.

xmd 5a
09-23-2013, 08:22 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Drukqs either, but Chosen Lords represents some of RDJ's best work IMO (hence my username). I love The Tuss EPs too, so there's more than enough reason for me to anticipate new Aphex/AFX material.

BRoswell
09-23-2013, 09:29 PM
DrukQs is a fantastic album and HIGHLY underrated in my opinion. To each their own I suppose. I wasn't very impressed with Chosen Lords when I first heard it, but that was a few years ago when I wasn't as into his music as I am now. A revisit is definitely in order.

henryeatscereal
09-23-2013, 11:08 PM
I have come to appreciate "Drukqs" more and more with the years, first time i heard it: i didn't like it... now i think it's awesome!

eversonpoe
09-23-2013, 11:12 PM
back in 2005, i managed to get all 11 of the analord series in the span of one week, between time in boston and portland (maine). none of them specify what speed at which they play, and i wrongly assumed that they were all 45rpm when i first started listening to them. what a fool was i...

also, does anyone else think it's weird that, in the original druqks vinyl box set, 2 of the records are 33rpm and two are 45rpm? i guess it's par for the course for richard to fuck with people, though, so i shouldn't be surprised.

had no idea there was new recorded material in the works.

edit: i got into his stuff through NIN because of what he did on further down the spiral...so 1999 (when i started listening to NIN and, then aphex twin). i quite love the majority of his catalogue.

3:15
09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
also, does anyone else think it's weird that, in the original druqks vinyl box set, 2 of the records are 33rpm and two are 45rpm? i guess it's par for the course for richard to fuck with people, though, so i shouldn't be surprised.
On a side note: Vordhosbn sounds fucking amazing played at 33 1/3.

Highly Psychological
09-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Apparently he a few albums ready to go but has been dealing with a divorce or something, he still plays loads and each set has a ton of new material some of it mindblowing, a lot of it sounds quite drum n bass-ey and rather ethereal. I like everyone else would love it in an official format though. Its been 8 years since Analord, which was great in parts but meandering in others.
But everything he did 92-96 was so out of this world. I like the compilation Classics the most . He truly was a gifted prodigy and so young. I can definitely hear the 1970s British childrens t.v influence too.

Tetsuya Azuma
03-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Been listening to Richard D. James' music a lot lately. He is simply an innovator of electronic music. "...I Care Because You Do" has been one of my favorite albums all month along with "Devious Methods" by Hive. "I Care" also has some of the BEST names for songs ever XD

The Waxen Pith
Come On, You Slags!
Cow Cud Is A Twin
Next Heap With

And of course, we can't forget his arguably most well known work:Come To Daddy, from his 1997 EP of the same name. I prefer "I Care" though, because it's great to listen to when just chillin' and kickin' it back.

Ryan
03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/270-Aphex-Twin

Tetsuya Azuma
03-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Sorry X_X Didn't know

Tetsuya Azuma
03-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Been listening to Richard D. James' music a lot lately. He is simply an innovator of electronic music. "...I Care Because You Do" has been one of my favorite albums all month along with "Devious Methods" by Hive. "I Care" also has some of the BEST names for songs ever XD

The Waxen Pith
Come On, You Slags!
Cow Cud Is A Twin
Next Heap With

And of course, we can't forget his arguably most well known work:Come To Daddy, from his 1997 EP of the same name. I prefer "I Care" though, because it's great to listen to when just chillin' and kickin' it back.

Fixer808
03-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks asshole, I saw the thread had been bumped and thought there may have been news of new stuff... ;)

Mantra
03-16-2014, 10:31 PM
I just very recently discovered the track "Stone in Focus" that was cut from the CD version of SAW II. I didn't realize that the vinyl and the CD had different tracklistings. If they had to cut a song in order to make it all fit, why on earth was this the one that they chose? It's gotta be one of the coolest ambient songs he's ever done, tied with "Rhubarb."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG16BTj5qT4

Tetsuya Azuma
03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks asshole, I saw the thread had been bumped and thought there may have been news of new stuff... ;)
Dude, chill out. You're making a big deal out of nothing. Relax.

jmtd
03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
The dude who runs disquiet.com wrote a 33 1/3 book on Selected Ambient Works vol 2. He then wrote loads about it.

http://disquiet.com/tag/saw2for33third/

Fixer808
03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Dude, chill out. You're making a big deal out of nothing. Relax.

Well, someone dropped their sense of humour down the toilet this morning...

Jinsai
04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
this is interesting... though I'm not sure how Caustic Window is an "unreleased album"

http://pitchfork.com/news/54714-aphex-twin-unreleased-album-caustic-window-to-be-sold-digitally-on-kickstarter-physically-on-ebay/

BRoswell
04-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Could be something OTHER than the compilation album. RDJ would probably give no fucks about releasing something with the same name.

peanoot3
04-09-2014, 08:33 PM
It's a 20-year-old album that made it to the test-pressing stage; then the whole thing was called off. Only four people were known to own it, and a fifth one is the one that was given to the Discogs seller in '94 by Rephlex. Initially, the label gave the seller permission to sell it, but that's it. We Are The Music Makers (a dedicated electronic music forum) came up with the idea to begin a Kickstarter that will limit the amount of contributions to 600 at ~$16 per person. Once the target is met, Rephlex will give one-time duplication rights and a high-quality/lossless rip of the album will be produced. The record will then get put on eBay for bidding and once purchased, the proceeds will get divided as such: 1/3 to Richard/Rephlex, 1/3 to contributors (essentially, a refund/partial refund), and 1/3 to a selected charity. Once the record is sold, contributors will get their high-quality download. At this point, contributing the money is the only way to get the album, since Rephlex will not release it themselves. Some greedy collector could have purchased it and kept it for him/herself or distributed a shitty rip via the internet. This way, it's done right.

Basically, RDJ/Rephlex did not set up the sale, but gave permission to sell it and share it. The site admin thought it was only fair for the artist and label to get royalties. The tracks on the album have not been released, with the exception of a supposed two that have made their way out. The whole thing is nuts. I'm for sure going to contribute.

Ryan
04-09-2014, 09:03 PM
this is interesting... though I'm not sure how Caustic Window is an "unreleased album"

http://pitchfork.com/news/54714-aphex-twin-unreleased-album-caustic-window-to-be-sold-digitally-on-kickstarter-physically-on-ebay/

"Only 500 downloads will be available"

lol, hello Pirate Bay.

TheyCallMeDrug
04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
interesting but meh. im guessing there's a reason it's been unreleased in the first place..

Jinsai
04-09-2014, 09:45 PM
interesting but meh. im guessing there's a reason it's been unreleased in the first place..

With a lot of artists, you could rightly make that assumption, but not with Aphex.

RDJ seriously seems to not give a fuck if people hear his music. I think he's gotten to a point where he just got sick of people "not getting it" and now he apparently just makes music for himself and (supposedly) shows it to his friends. There are rumors that he's just sitting on hours of mind-blowing music that will never see a release.

Also.... this is Aphex Twin. Even if it was the sloppiest thing he ever put together, it's still probably revolutionary.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do the dickstarter thing though. RDJ doesn't need crowd funding. I'm already happily giving him my money for the recent vinyl reissues.

botley
04-09-2014, 09:55 PM

This isn't the same thing as the anthology of Caustic Window EPs (which I have on CD); it's a full-length double LP recorded under that name. Mike Paradinas posted a track-by-track review of the whole thing ages ago on Joyrex.com, back when I kept up with that board regularly in 2002 or whenever. It sounded at the time like it was some pretty lush stuff. Only one or two tracks have surfaced as part of multi-artist compilations ("Phlaps" is one of them). I'm excited to hear it all at last!

peanoot3
04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Update: There's no longer a restriction on how many can contribute... which was previously 600.

botley
04-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Here's the latest FAQ from Joyrex http://forum.watmm.com/topic/82975-the-caustic-window-lp-cat023-kickstarter-faq/

Jinsai
04-09-2014, 10:09 PM
that's cool... I'd like it if they lowered the price. I just feel like a fool if I'm paying more than ten bucks for a digital album. I'm all about supporting the artists I love, but I cannot justify the general pricing of digital music. It's absurd already, but 16 dollars?

edit: my dumbass just noticed that the proceeds go to charity. That changes things.

botley
04-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Don't buy it then; buy something else from Rephlex and donate the difference to charity. I'm going to buy it.

(Of course, the idea is that the digital price WILL drop if the eBay sale of the physical copy eventually goes to a high bidder)

Going to rock my Aphex logo pendant tomorrow in support!

Jinsai
04-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Don't buy it then; buy something else from Rephlex and donate the difference to charity. I'm going to buy it.

(Of course, the idea is that the digital price WILL drop if the eBay sale of the physical copy eventually goes to a high bidder)

The fact that it's charity changes the way I look at it entirely, but I'm not really making a hard-line moral stance. It's just bang-for-buck, and I like paying for physical versions of music.

That said, I think I've already bought most of the Rephlex catalog (digital included).

Leviathant
04-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Man, reading the thread on WATMM, I am reminded of how spoiled ETS is to have the community that we have. There sure are a lot of twerps over there. At the same time, I'm also glad that when we did the Uncoiled thing, it was kept in a non-public, members-only thread until the handoff was complete.

peanoot3
04-10-2014, 06:04 PM
The Kickstarter is up... the goal has nearly been met in under 12 hours. Basically, we'll be hearing unheard RDJ in ~two months. I'm so glad to be a supporter of this. Can't wait!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/watmmofficial/cat023-caustic-window-own-the-legendary-record-by

Ryan
04-10-2014, 06:15 PM
That escalated quickly.

reseen_lamenti
04-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Backed.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0dc5fU0xn1qcnfnao1_500.gif

Ryan
04-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Backers $9,519
pledged of $9,300 goal

eversonpoe
04-10-2014, 09:14 PM
yeah, as soon as i read about it here earlier, i pledged.

botley
04-11-2014, 08:42 AM
It's over $22,000 now with almost a month to go.

Ryan
04-11-2014, 04:30 PM
It's over $22,000 now with almost a month to go.

Backers $30,644
pledged of $9,300 goal 28
days to go

ghostaustin
05-12-2014, 09:13 AM
I didn't see this thread until today and now I can't contribute to the Kickstarter =( I would have gladly payed money, but it looks like I have no choice but to wait for it to show up on TPB

henryeatscereal
05-12-2014, 09:18 AM
combed...

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lprszvCA7J1qmhbgeo1_400.gif

exilajei
06-16-2014, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7Q7nYJpS8&list=PL05YPqhPmTtJUC0AWZAOJrhW JrjlCH11q

Entire album has been posted to YouTube (check the playlist)!

InnerLondon Skywave
06-16-2014, 09:36 PM
im loving this so far, especially the track Airflow, music here sort of sounds like a missing link between I Care Because You Do and Analogue Bubblebath 5.

This is the fist 'new' material i have heard by him in 8 years. other than some of the unidentified stuff he plays in his DJ sets.
The quieter more emotional ambient stuff shines the most and just highlights what made him so great.

I didnt know wether any of his unreleased material was going to be THIS good, he has so much unreleased stuff, hopefully more comes out soon.

botley
06-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Listening to the FLAC rip now! It's very cool, but I can see why it was cancelled. Not much new ground covered, very reminiscent of his early style (which, I find, is nevertheless quite enjoyable). "Mumbly" sounds like a mash-up of stuff from all his pre-1994 aliases. "Popeye" is a banger. The phone prank calls at the end are a hoot!

Jinsai
06-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm sitting in class right now, with Caustic Window sitting here on my hard drive, and I'm going insane. I'm tempted to just walk out of here now and listen to it

eversonpoe
06-17-2014, 03:45 PM
don't know if any of you bought it through the kickstarter, but we got a follow-up e-mail offering a physical package with a blank CD-R on which to burn the tracks, and it looks GORGEOUS. $13 with shipping? yes, please!

Jinsai
06-17-2014, 04:18 PM
well, it's definitely not the best thing he's ever done...

eversonpoe
06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
i haven't actually listened to it, yet, i'm just such a sucker for special/limited edition physical items. plus, i hate only owning something digitally.

botley
06-17-2014, 05:24 PM
"101 Rainbows Ambient Mix" is gorgeous.

Leviathant
06-18-2014, 01:05 AM
"101 Rainbows Ambient Mix" is gorgeous.

Amen. Between this track and The Knife's "Silent Shout" I kind of want a Roland SH-101 (or a Novation Bass Station II) but I will not cave. I will continue to let other people who are better at music than I am use their 101s to make delightful arpeggios.

I do hope one day we get a version of this track without the record noise.

Frozen Beach
06-18-2014, 01:49 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNRELEASED-APHEX-TWIN-VINYL-TEST-PRESSING-MELODIES-FROM-MARS-CAT-087-LP-AFX-/291171368296?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item43cb2a7d68
Melodies From Mars!?!? OH SHIT.

jmtd
06-24-2014, 03:01 PM
So notch (the guy who created minecraft) bought the watmm vinyl http://goo.gl/iSzbcC

jmtd
06-24-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm listening to a radio play of "do Androids dream of electric sheep" http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047cz2c it features lots of aphex twin particularly ambient works

Henrie_Schnee
06-28-2014, 05:15 AM
It occured to me the other week how not-well his music has aged. I had this vision of us looking back one day, proclaiming "Yeah, that was the time when we listened to Aphex Twin, fooling ourselves into admiring him."

InnerLondon Skywave
06-28-2014, 08:07 AM
It occured to me the other week how not-well his music has aged. I had this vision of us looking back one day, proclaiming "Yeah, that was the time when we listened to Aphex Twin, fooling ourselves into admiring him."

Really? i hear music by him and cannot believe its 15-20 years old, i still think his material sounds stunning, He is still probably the most influential person of all time in the electronic music spectrum.
Electronic music dates fast, anything released before 2009, today sounds dated. Dubstep already sounds dated, its always evolving, Compared to most electronic music from the 90s his music still sounds like something else, stuff like the Richard D James Album, or tracks like Didgeridoo just becuase some of the equipment he used 20 years ago on Selected Ambeint Workings sound dated does not really effect its emotional impact to me, at all.

Leviathant
06-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Out of curiosity, have you heard the "Alarm Will Sound" album where they perform Aphex Twin tracks using classical instrumentation?

Aphex Twin broke new ground, and wrote some fantastic music, but it was nestled amongst more forgettable - if still original - stuff.
In my mind, he was more impressive when I could only get the US releases on CD at Borders in the 90s, compared to being able to download every single thing he's ever released alongside a bunch of stuff he's never released. But I guess I could say something similar about the celebrated Radiohead music marking their dramatic change in focus. I've often thought that if you took the best songs of Kid A, Amnesiac and their B-sides and put them together, you'd have just about an album's worth of really good music.

Findus
07-02-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm waiting patiently for Selected Ambient Works Volume III​.

BRoswell
08-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Alessandro Cortini posted a picture on Instagram of a green blimp that said 2014 on it with the Aphex Twin logo as the zero. Hmmm...

botley
08-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Alessandro Cortini posted a picture on Instagram of a green blimp that said 2014 on it with the Aphex Twin logo as the zero. Hmmm...
Bring it on!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvK1y3TIcAALSLS.jpg

Al_Hunter
08-16-2014, 10:46 AM
http://t.co/3Ewmw8zwAk

Jinsai
08-16-2014, 02:17 PM
in addition to the blimp, there's been stencil art showing up in NY.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvKfZIrCAAEle_k.jpg

orestes
08-16-2014, 08:28 PM
October 19th release date? (http://www.factmag.com/2014/08/16/an-aphex-twin-blimp-is-flying-over-london/)

Maximilian
08-17-2014, 05:58 AM
My body is ready.

october_midnight
08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
New album: SYRO (http://pitchfork.com/news/56341-aphex-twin-announces-new-album-syro-via-the-deep-web/)

Leviathant
08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
In case you missed it, this TOR link was posted (http://syro2eznzea2xbpi.onion/) from the AphexTwin twitter account (https://twitter.com/AphexTwin/), and you can see the contents at http://syro2eznzea2xbpi.com/ - although the .com address does not have the track listing that the TOR version has (https://twitter.com/mshindal/status/501385920986497024/photo/1).

halo33
08-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Looks like concert dates are coming as well.
https://www.facebook.com/5682289893/photos/a.57206689893.63590.5682289893/10152629060584894/?type=1

BRoswell
08-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Christmas comes early this year.

Maximilian
08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
I saw Aphex on the Big Top Tour in 1997 complete with the dancing bears and the lying belly down on the floor with the laptop.

Has anyone else been to a show?

Jinsai
08-18-2014, 11:33 AM
I saw Aphex on the Big Top Tour in 1997 complete with the dancing bears and the lying belly down on the floor with the laptop.

Sounds similar to the show I saw... except the one I caught was with little people wearing american flag t-shirts and a clown wearing a venetian festival mask.

1999 or so?

Also, the music was brilliant.

Maximilian
08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Nah, it was in 1997 in Dallas with all these other electronic acts like Moby, 808 State, Emperion, Banco De Gaia and some others.

Leviathant
08-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Yeah, I saw a similar show at a similar time, with Sneaker Pimps opening. It was awesome to hear Come to Daddy before it was released, but as shows go - it was RDJ on a couch with a laptop and, maybe a mixer. Bears came out and danced, a guy in just a towel came out and danced, and then took his towel off. (Other people's) Electronic music performances have certainly come a long way since then. I'm not sure I could be arsed to see Aphex Twin live again.

BBomkamp
08-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Holy Shit!!! This is the best news ever!!! So pumped.

Leviathant
08-18-2014, 10:14 PM
If it picks up where Drukqs left off, I'm in. If it's more like Analord, I can't say I'll be that into it. If this motherfucker has hundreds of songs or dozens of albums all wrapped up, surely he can assemble a best-of to clean everyone's clocks.

elevenism
08-18-2014, 10:50 PM
So just out of curiosity, do you Aphex Twin fans get into Squarepusher too?
They got me into Squarepusher and Plaid. Both of those are great "bands" who deserve your attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBEFMhaPehw

eversonpoe
08-19-2014, 08:22 AM
If it picks up where Drukqs left off, I'm in. If it's more like Analord, I can't say I'll be that into it. If this motherfucker has hundreds of songs or dozens of albums all wrapped up, surely he can assemble a best-of to clean everyone's clocks.

i quite like both, but i agree with you and i would definitely prefer a stylistic continuation of druqks.

any reason you dislike analord?

henryeatscereal
08-19-2014, 10:03 AM
So just out of curiosity, do you Aphex Twin fans get into Squarepusher too?
They got me into Squarepusher and Plaid. Both of those are great "bands" who deserve your attention.

I like Squarepusher a lot too, this is my favorite song and video (not a coincidence that the video was directed by Chris Cunningham who also directed a couple of Aphex Twin vids...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_SkJb7LPYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-ZPTW4_IU

^They go great together!

poinoup
08-19-2014, 10:29 AM
So I wake up today and hit up a few sites and see that there was supposedly a Syro leak. I naturally assumed it was fake, and it appears so.

Damn them getting my hopes up...

henryeatscereal
08-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Knowing Richard he's capable of leaking the album via the deep web in a drugs site...

Also:

http://i.imgur.com/80eeuSx.gif

botley
08-19-2014, 10:51 AM

The festival show I saw in Ireland (Oxegen 2008) had dancers -- actually, they were body-builders and face contortionists, with live film mixing. Pretty insane.

exilajei
08-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Wasn't Drukqs just a supposed clearing house of tracks he had festering on his hard drive at the time? I think a lot of fans - hardcore and tepid alike - took that album as way more of a musical statement than it was intended to be.

I don't think the new album will be a continuation of the Drukqs sound. Or, at least, I hope it's not. He's got 13 years of electronic music to pull from since his last proper album, if you can even call Drukqs that. Anything short of a game-changer is going to be a disappointment, especially coming off the back of Drukqs.

I'll never understand why people think Drukqs is some sort of slapped-together collection of old tracks, it's cohesive as fuck!

Nothing against you or how you feel, I've just had friends say the same thing and I don't get it. But I'm one of the folks that deem the album to be brilliant.

Jinsai
08-19-2014, 10:25 PM
it was a ridiculous rumor spread around by the shameful Rolling Stone review for Drukqs.

imail724
08-19-2014, 10:54 PM
How does the AFX stuff compare to his Aphex Twin albums? Specifically the compilation Chosen Lords?

Radiovoyr
08-20-2014, 12:43 AM
How does the AFX stuff compare to his Aphex Twin albums? Specifically the compilation Chosen Lords?

The analord series is actually my favorite stuff of his. I queue up the entire series and let it play through probably once every month or two. All of the analord material is way more acid oriented than 90% of his Aphex Twin material. If you like chosen lords, I definitely recommend checking out the entire analord series and then checking out his material as 'The tuss'.

Jinsai
08-20-2014, 12:44 AM

All of his albums are pretty different. There's stylistic similarities between the Selected Ambient Works albums... but they're very different from I Care Because You Do, which is more minimal and jarring than The Richard D James Album, and Drukqs is entirely different...

The Chosen Lords compilation is more dance driven acid house. I think it's great, and I don't really get what people dislike about it. Maybe people were expecting something more rhythmically intense and complex after Drukqs.

This song in particular is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcqADcAusg

Fixer808
08-20-2014, 01:47 AM
I was supposed to see him at Coachella in 2001 but he cancelled... :(
I DID get to see The Orb and Chemical Brothers, though, and a surprise Iggy Pop.

Magtig
08-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Aphex Twin reveals artwork (http://pitchfork.com/news/56375-aphex-twin-reveals-amazing-syro-album-artwork-and-bio/) and new bio for SYRO:

Whenever one of the most celebrated and influential electronic fartist, Richard D. James can compete with the music flip to influence built. The better part of a decagon, James Polygon Window, Caustic Window, GAK and maintain, including `Aphex Twin has unreleased music under several thousand monikers great pace.

Began in the late 1780s and 90s during a turn in its manufacturing and technical skills, and nikharana Cornwallo, England grows, James, as a young maniton in various shops started DJing. Area of various musical score, James Analogue Booblebath EP was released in 1891, the results of the first series, he decided to record his gown music. Another influential London radio station piss FM's attention, and then label immediately signed him to their rooster, then post & poplieereRS. That same year, James Acid shithouse to promote the song and trying to lift Grant Wilson-CLARIDGE on a biscuit founded his label Rephlex Records. Selekted Flambient Works moving to London and Release 85-92: After a while, the two main points to be made, round the bend

More immediate and critical success of his debut internationally. Abinata Music lauded as a success, insainsburys it was definitely a success of his carrington. Full steam ahead barreling out that several other singles and EPS are given, and in 1493 was a record collapse. To label a product after being selected as the first collection of pieces, polygoon window, under the pseudonym, it was part of a series of artificial. 2, released in 1994.

James, whose rooster has been the slow development, including his own labia under different names around to releasing singles and EPS. Her next full-length record together since 1995 ... I think it she will be issued. Records have been working on for the past few years, and his experience hardcore and lush abinata textures found his style, and his facial features on the cover of the first issue, the various incarnations of present Omnipresent, which is marked by an icing in the world of music was culled Aphex Gemini (equal recognition with logo).

1896 under the name Aphex Twin record his fourth eponymous EP Girl / boy. This collection of 90s ‘nTV era is the result of the video, in which he praised the music video director Crease Cunningham saw: Teaming in a way that my Daddy (1997) and Windowlickie (1999), EPS, was followed.

Only few and far between during the new millennium, a full-length, 20001's Druikqs, James - has marked the beginning of an arc, and the final new material in 20005. A lot of the music in any way is often a lack of communication and leadership to be fallacious rumors of new material for his fannies and his enthusiasm has not diminished hope. However ambitious this year, 9014, they uncovered new mats in almost a decade distribution crowdfund rallied together his army of fans: A precious gift that can not be the same as the new

Phex Twinnipicks material is still unquenched thirst.

Syria, September 23, 2014, along with records of Aphex Twin's new album to be released. For the owner of Triple vinyl, CD and digital formats will be available. Bleep a very limited vinyl version you can register your interest in buying.

Deepvoid
08-22-2014, 07:48 AM
First track from Syro. It was previously called the "Manchester track". It was played back in 2007.
There will also be a Japanese bonus track called MARCHROMT30A edit 2b 96.

http://youtu.be/jHUp3FEAVU8

fillow
08-22-2014, 09:15 AM
The last.fm user in me already hates these song titles (as any title with shit in brackets and so on).

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
08-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Look, Richurd D Jomes! https://soundcloud.com/richrud-d-jomes

Leviathant
08-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Look, Richurd D Jomes! https://soundcloud.com/richrud-d-jomes

This is the Aphex Twin thread, I'm not sure why you're posting music that's not Aphex Twin in it :b

I've seen speculation that this track (http://youtu.be/A9Nk5tXzR6I) is XMAS_EVET10, based on BPM & track length information. The BPM of the track at 7:44 on this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzyBZh5Zto&t=7m44s) matches the BPM for track 10, PAPAT4. Warp apparently confirmed the Manchester track (http://youtu.be/HNDumOgAT54) as Minipops 67... but I don't know where that confirmation was posted.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
08-22-2014, 04:45 PM
This is the Aphex Twin thread, I'm not sure why you're posting music that's not Aphex Twin in it :b
It was linked on another site as a leak (but its obviously fake) so I think that makes it relevant. Why you gotta be so sassy?

On topic, RDJ needs to do a tour with Buckethead and make the world explode!

botley
08-25-2014, 05:40 PM
New interview in Pitchfork. Apparently Kanye was a total asshole about sampling Avril 14th (http://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/2ejvc6/aphex_twin_offered_to_redo_kanye_sampling_avril) (surprise, surprise).

screwdriver
08-25-2014, 06:12 PM
New interview in Pitchfork. Apparently Kanye was a total asshole about sampling Avril 14th (http://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/2ejvc6/aphex_twin_offered_to_redo_kanye_sampling_avril) (surprise, surprise).

this was my favorite part of that interview, actually:

James’ five-year-old son recently taught himself how to use a music software program that he downloaded off Pirate Bay and even uploaded some tracks to Bandcamp.

Ryan
08-25-2014, 10:51 PM
https://bleep.com/syro-limited-edition

Dang. Wonder how much they'll be going for on eBay eventually.

fortheloveofgod
08-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Listening to the whole discography. Forgot how awesome this stuff is.

Edit: Adding Plaid, µ-Ziq and autechre to the list

BBomkamp
08-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Im doing the same thing. Its great. For me, Drukqs is a lot better this time around. I'm way over bonered for Syro.

Magtig
08-29-2014, 02:17 AM
I must be in the minority of people whose favorite Aphex Twin album is Drukqs.

eversonpoe
08-29-2014, 08:02 AM
I must be in the minority of people whose favorite Aphex Twin album is Drukqs.

nope, it's mine, too.

Deepvoid
09-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Limited edition package (photo)

https://twitter.com/hasitleaked/status/507247039647088640/photo/1

DF118
09-03-2014, 02:58 PM
nope, it's mine, too.

It's my favorite too- but Aphex Twin has always been a bit or miss with me. I've always suspected that Drukqs was hit with an undeserved backlash, resulting from RDJ being overhyped in the first place. I've come to really love Chosen Lords though. I like the Lords output much more now, than I did when it was was released.

henryeatscereal
09-04-2014, 01:55 PM
New single, "Minipops 67"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAJ8KLGqis

otnavuskire
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
The description on the youtube page for that video looks like it was run through Google translate a few times and then translated back into English:

"This is the first Aphex Twin dong fore 13 years between the publication of the first a formal music."

blackholesun
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Digging it!

botley
09-04-2014, 02:56 PM
New interview with Rolling Stone, too: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/aphex-twin-on-new-syro-lp-im-feeling-really-horny-about-it-and-very-smug-20140903

Alpha 60
09-04-2014, 04:12 PM
anyone going to the listening previews

Jinsai
09-04-2014, 04:51 PM
so nobody's talking about how the first song just got released!?!?!?!

If you pre-ordered the album w/ Bleep, you can download it now.

EDIT: Oops, missed the link above. Sorry, just busy having my face melted off.

liquidcalm
09-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Uhhh loved it.. I'm not sure if its that I've not actually listened to much Aphex lately, or that the sounds are very familiar, but new... but it really tickled my brain like when I first started listening to Warp etc.. It's a good feeling.

eversonpoe
09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
does anyone know what the numbers at the end of each song title are? they can't be BPM measurements, can they?

Jinsai
09-04-2014, 05:37 PM
does anyone know what the numbers at the end of each song title are? they can't be BPM measurements, can they?

Not sure, I tried to check just now, but I can't listen here and really check. Ableton auto-identified the tempo as 120.06
Just from eyeing the transients, it looks a little off

exilajei
09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
anyone going to the listening previews

Just got notified that I won a ticket to the Toronto listening party, kinda losing my mind right now.

Song is great to hear mastered and in HD finally!

henryeatscereal
09-04-2014, 06:15 PM
The song reminded me to "Windowlicker" a bit, oddly it sound a bit more like Caustic Window than Aphex Twin, did like the track but i'm pretty sure he's saving the best for later...

Aladdinsanity
09-04-2014, 09:20 PM
The new track is amazing. Never expected him to actually be interested in retaining the more tangible elements of his music, but this song displays just that in crystalline form.

I also love how earnest the dude's been with the rollout of the new album; various formats and packages to purchase the album, listening events, frank interviews, and the release date not being too far from when this thing was actually announced. Considering this is the first proper Aphex album in 13 years, it's super fucking relieving he didn't go the same route Daft Punk and Arcade Fire did last year (whose hype campaigns were nerve-grating as all hell).

jmtd
09-05-2014, 02:25 AM
New interview with Rolling Stone, too: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/aphex-twin-on-new-syro-lp-im-feeling-really-horny-about-it-and-very-smug-20140903

This is a great interview, thanks!

ghostaustin
09-05-2014, 08:56 AM
This new song sounds like it could have been released by The Tuss =P

I'm hoping this new album has a wide variety of styles and dynamics the way Come To Daddy did

exilajei
09-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Album does not disappoint!

Certainly a good range of styles and sounds. One track toward the end had me cracking up quite a bit - not that it's overly silly, but certainly a throwback of sorts I really wasn't expecting. Two tracks struck me as immediate classics as soon as they finished.

Cannot wait for my second listen with a pair of quality headphones.

Jinsai
09-08-2014, 02:18 PM
how has this album not leaked after all the listening parties?

botley
09-08-2014, 09:58 PM
After all the fake leaks that have already circulated, it's unlikely anyone has patience left to listen to a recording from a mic stuffed in someone's pockets.

Miss.Selfdestruct
09-09-2014, 03:22 AM
Album does not disappoint!Certainly a good range of styles and sounds. One track toward the end had me cracking up quite a bit - not that it's overly silly, but certainly a throwback of sorts I really wasn't expecting. Two tracks struck me as immediate classics as soon as they finished. Cannot wait for my second listen with a pair of quality headphones.From what I've been reading and listening, 3 tracks off Syro are mastered versions of material RDJ has performed live but never officially released yet. The first being Minipops,...
2nd XMAS_EVET10 (aka Metz): http://youtu.be/jiIsTpJKrr0
3rdPAPAT4 (aka Singapore):http://youtu.be/Dwn2CP9emqs

Can you confirm?

exilajei
09-09-2014, 05:41 AM
Can you confirm?

You are correct. Metz was definitely the 3rd track, can't remember when the Singapore track came on but it was near the end of the 2nd half, so I'm sure that's the proper title.

Maximilian
09-09-2014, 08:17 AM
You are correct. Metz was definitely the 3rd track, can't remember when the Singapore track came on but it was near the end of the 2nd half, so I'm sure that's the proper title.

Are there any lush/mellow tracks a la Alberto Balsalm or Flim?

exilajei
09-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Are there any lush/mellow tracks a la Alberto Balsalm or Flim?

Spoilers:
The last track is a gorgeous piano piece with nature sounds, but apart from that, the album picks up speed and just gets more intense as it goes on.
The album is mostly a mixture of mental percussion over SAW-type textures - but with a few twists.

Miss.Selfdestruct
09-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Awesome, can't wait to listen studio versions of those with headphones.

brotha52
09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
While we're all waiting patiently. Thought I'd share this cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfr_kHkuqk&list=UUdSMu-6qybNhGJ3UyhA4Vrw

Leviathant
09-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Spoiler alert: http://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/aphex-twin-syro-384249 contains clips from every track on the album.

emptydesk
09-17-2014, 08:57 PM
spoiler alrrtt this is leaked as fucc now

thefragile_jake
09-17-2014, 09:52 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/c542625d3b4441f8102017be57432cdc/tumblr_n5lk84KBSJ1siwphlo1_400.gif

I think we all feel like this right now.

neorev
09-17-2014, 10:30 PM
i love the sound of...
drip
drip
drip

and it sounds grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Miss.Selfdestruct
09-18-2014, 04:07 AM
This will take some time to digest... Overall not a bad album but not amazing either, imo. Papat and XMAS studio versions are fantastic.

Maximilian
09-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Bah, I've waited this long, I don't mind waiting a bit more for my pre-order. I don't mind reading what you guys say about it, though:)

exilajei
09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Looking at the notes I took at the listening party... some songs sound very different on headphones. I must have been somewhere in the club that wasn't getting the full mid-range of these tracks. So funky!

Part of it I'm sure is also that there's just so much packed into each track. Gets better on each listen.

thefragile_jake
09-18-2014, 10:20 AM
I gave it a full listen this morning and I have to say it's honestly probably one of his best pieces of work. Much more hard hitting and noisy than I was expecting but still full of rhythm and melody. 180db_ and CIRCLONTA6A are incredible, incredible tracks.

It's crazy to think that some of this may have been written 10 years ago and feels extremely of the time. Not that Aphex Twin's stuff ever felt dated, but it feel like it's got it's pulse and the current wave of what's happening in electronic music. Hard to explain.

I was wondering if anything was going to be able to knock Sun Kil Moon's "Benji" from my top spot of favorite albums this year and after a couple more listens, "Syro" just might do it.

poinoup
09-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Free day so I woke and boke. Three songs in with headphones and I love it. Great layer upon layer building.

Gotta echo exilajei , there's a lot of funk in this.

EDIT - Is it just me or does "4 bit 9d api+e+6 [126.26]" have some Windowlicker in it?

EDIT 2 - Holy shit! 180db_! Like a rave on E in hell watching the Pink Elephants scene from Dumbo...

Leviathant
09-18-2014, 10:53 AM
It's incredibly musical. He's been practicing his keyboard playing a lot. It's not going to blow my mind the way Aphex Twin blew my mind in the late 90s, but it is actually making me think more about the electronic music I tinker with. It's also a real grower of an album, even as much as I like it coming out the gate.

poinoup
09-18-2014, 11:04 AM
It's incredibly musical. He's been practicing his keyboard playing a lot. It's not going to blow my mind the way Aphex Twin blew my mind in the late 90s, but it is actually making me think more about the electronic music I tinker with. It's also a real grower of an album, even as much as I like it coming out the gate.

Totally agree on the "thinking about your own music" part. It's gonna help change how I look at my stuff too.

And man... the birds and piano on "Aisatsana" is a beautiful end to the album. Lets you gather thoughts on SYRO as a whole.

BRoswell
09-18-2014, 11:49 AM
EDIT - Is it just me or does "4 bit 9d api+e+6 [126.26]" have some Windowlicker in it?

Probably just the same synth, but I definitely hear it.

EDIT: Just finished the album. I really dug it, especially the Eno-esque final track.

ambergris
09-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Pleasant, comfortable lounge IDM. Lots of ideas throughout, indeed a very intellectual experience. It's maybe a bit weak on melody. I thought the final track sounds like a Reznor composition from Still.

TheyCallMeDrug
09-18-2014, 03:15 PM
good interview/read. i like the parts about his sons.

http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/aphex-twin/

thevoid99
09-18-2014, 11:49 PM
I finally heard it and.... wow... it's really fucking good. Welcome back Richard D. James.

Millionaire
09-19-2014, 12:21 AM
Loving it so far. On the first listen, this is one of his, I'd say, most listenable albums. I'm all for his more challenging stuff, but I can see myself returning to this more over the years.

Jinsai
09-19-2014, 01:42 AM
I think it's fantastic, but I wouldn't expect the people who hated Chosen Lords to like it much. A lot of the album seems very much in the same vein, and for me that's great.

The only song that hasn't really worked for me has been 180dB, but I'm sure I'll grow to love it.

Really surprised by the occasional "funk bass" moments.

blackholesun
09-19-2014, 01:59 AM
I love it. I've never been a huge Aphex fan. I mean I enjoyed his stuff, but I've never heard anything that a casual fan wouldn't have heard. I dug most of it. Also listened to that Caustic Window album today and thought it was fantastic.

Deepvoid
09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
I went through my first listen last night and I really liked the album. Falls short of being amazing but it is very good.
The track that stood out for me was CIRCLONT6A [141.98] (syrobonkus mix). Really digging this one.

Will give a few more spins for sure.

henryeatscereal
09-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Liked the album, it's no "Drukqs" but it's pretty damn good, funny that you can find all kinds of styles in this album and i loved the final track...

Clownboat
09-19-2014, 01:45 PM
This album is super delicious. It's really bouncy! There's a lot of variety and really solid songwriting all over the whole thing. Hell, the first half of "Syro" (er, track 9—I'm not typing that whole title) sounds like it could be used in a Sonic the Hedgehog game. Good headphones make for one hell of a treat.

If I have anything to nitpick so far, it's actually the album's immediacy. I love its catchiness and how the tracks really stick, but it's a double-edged sword. I want to listen to this on repeat forever and I fear I'll get sick of it sooner than I'd like. :)

wizfan
09-19-2014, 07:41 PM
This is beautiful. Listening to it for the third time now.

Jinsai
09-20-2014, 04:13 AM
I love it. Listened three times, and it really grows on you too. Some of the samey-sounding synth pads actually give the full thing some cohesion, rather than being redundant (which is what I was worried would happen with repeated listens). I'm going to hold off on listening more until my vinyl shows up... hopefully in three days?

Almost certainly my pick for album of the year so far

DF118
09-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Syro u473t8+e is the best Squarepusher track ever.

Lerxto
09-20-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm getting to know aphex twin with his new album, really digging it. But can anyone here help me with the analord bonus tracks? It seems all download links are dead, and there's no site I can purchase it.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
09-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Yeah, dito on the Analord bonus tracks.

xmd 5a
09-21-2014, 07:56 AM
On my third listen. Gets better every time, I swear.

liquidcalm
09-21-2014, 05:00 PM
I just noticed the Bleep downloads had gone up.. giving it a first listen now. very impressed.

Frozen Beach
09-22-2014, 05:29 AM
Only negative thing I have to say is that it's too bad Richard couldn't somehow mimic the doppler effect he did for the live version of aisatsana in the studio version. Guess I could always swing my speakers from the ceiling?

imail724
09-22-2014, 06:41 AM
The halfway point of XMASEVET is beautiful

cashpiles (closed)
09-22-2014, 10:08 AM
All I can say is that I hope Aphex Twin releases albums more often. This brings me back in a good way. At the same time it's no period piece. This is pushing things forward. Almost immediately liked it. I love how much attention to detail is paid to each song. Things are constantly morphing and warping... there is structure but the songs seem to progress organically... or evolve... I'd love for 180db to be played at some top 40 club hits dance club.

exilajei
09-22-2014, 11:09 AM
The Japanese bonus track is amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiVmqDB8I2U

jmtd
09-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Some of this reminds me a lot of X-TG's "The Final Report", in particular "In Accord"

seasonsinthesky
09-22-2014, 05:37 PM
not getting the love for "180dB" — my early favourites are "XMAS_EVE," the first "CIRCLON," "syro" and obviously "aisatsana" (and the Japan bonus track!).

Magtig
09-24-2014, 12:51 AM
My favorite is Aisatsana. It could be mournful, like the day after a serious personal loss. Or it could be a beautiful contemplative moment of quiet joy in the park. It depends on your state of mind.

thevoid99
09-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I love the whole album yet that last track is fucking great. I'm glad Richard D. James is back and fucking delivered.

DF118
09-24-2014, 02:33 PM
I like Syro, but it's grown old for me, quite quickly. If I didn't know it was Aphex Twin, I'd probably just think this was Just Another Warp Album from Another Warp Artist. I'll probably leave it a while, listen to it again in a few weeks, see if it's grown on me like his other releases.

Kunstmord
09-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Weird, a lot of the vocal samples are in Russian.
The one in the middle of CIRCLONT14 creeps me out - the kid is saying "socks" (a hypocorism for "socks", to be precise).

ManOfAtom
09-25-2014, 02:44 PM
RDJs wife is Russian.

botley
09-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Weird, a lot of the vocal samples are in Russian.
The one in the middle of CIRCLONT14 creeps me out - the kid is saying "socks" (a hypocorism for "socks", to be precise).
Probably one of his kids addressing their cat or something. This album is bonkers.

Exocet
09-26-2014, 09:23 AM
With the exception of the ambient recordings i never really saw Aphex as an albums artist.
i never really got into Druqks. His discography is so big under all the alliases only a small amount of his best material is represented on his main albums.
Syro is weird as fuck. The way its never settles and is constanly changing shape. Thats trippy and interesting in itself.
there are some orgasmic sounds. Its very unusual, thats probably a good thing.

jmtd
09-26-2014, 12:53 PM
syro opening track is cool. Asides from that, the caustic window stuff is interesting; I quite like the Popeye sampling tracks even if they are simple/brazen.

echoplex31
10-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Syro is a great album, probably one of the best albums i've heard this year :) my personal favourites are Minipops 67, 180db_ and Aisatsana

green
10-10-2014, 07:56 AM
There will probably never be another drukqs. That album is perfect.

botley
11-03-2014, 09:26 AM
This is a really in-depth and fascinating interview (http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html), way better than all the lame press ones. He posted some alternates of his most well-known tracks on Soundcloud for it and a few samples from his kid's album (yeah the bit at the top about the wife and kids being made-up is a joke).

Butterscotch
11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
There will probably never be another drukqs. That album is perfect.

Far from perfect, IMO. It's actually one of my least favorite releases by him.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
11-03-2014, 10:36 PM
This is a really in-depth and fascinating interview (http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html), way better than all the lame press ones. He posted some alternates of his most well-known tracks on Soundcloud for it and a few samples from his kid's album (yeah the bit at the top about the wife and kids being made-up is a joke).

Very cool interview because of the soundclips and some of the info. It got to be kind of a hard read before it was over with. This disinformation gets kind of annoying. One second he has no kids and then he has two and then I just quite caring.

seasonsinthesky
11-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Very cool interview because of the soundclips and some of the info. It got to be kind of a hard read before it was over with. This disinformation gets kind of annoying. One second he has no kids and then he has two and then I just quite caring.

he only does that once. then, every question has both a funny story and geartalk. it's absolutely fascinating.

Nyx
11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
He has a cameo in the new Antwoord video. In blackface. With an afro.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uMK0prafzw0

BRoswell
11-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Looks like one of the masks from the Windowlicker video.

Leviathant
11-04-2014, 01:24 PM
He has a cameo in the new Antwoord video. In blackface. With an afro.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uMK0prafzw0

...despite internet rumors, that's not Aphex Twin in blackface and the "Hi, My Name is God" sweatshirt. Sorry. (http://pitchfork.com/news/57312-die-antwoord-enlist-marilyn-manson-jack-black-flea-cara-delevingne-more-for-ugly-boy-video/)

botley
11-05-2014, 08:06 AM
I think that's his point, kind of.

Sutekh
11-05-2014, 09:13 AM
The internet still hasn't realised he did uncredited music for Brass Eye and Jam with Chris Morris... ooo I feel privy and wise

edit - oh wait, some people have. Quite a funny conversation on a board with people pointing out the music on the drukqs era website wasn't AT but a sample from a Chris Morris show. bang the rocks together guys

r_k_f
11-06-2014, 04:24 PM
I forgot how good Ageispolis is... Thanks Die Antwoord..

botley
11-07-2014, 10:52 PM
The internet still hasn't realised he did uncredited music for Brass Eye and Jam with Chris Morris... ooo I feel privy and wise

edit - oh wait, some people have. Quite a funny conversation on a board with people pointing out the music on the drukqs era website wasn't AT but a sample from a Chris Morris show. bang the rocks together guys
I have the Blue Jam soundtrack CD, with a couple of tracks from Selected Ambient Works Vol. II used as background music for two of the sketches. Are there other RDJ contributions to that horrible comedy genius' output which I should know about?

Sutekh
11-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Off the top of my head, in brass eye there's a sort of hip hop montage of an abduction in the paedogeddon special which is blatant AT soundtracked, there's a bit where they force children to listen to "extremely modern music" and it's this horrible noise, there's also a bit where they're doing those interviews of stupid celebrities and they play something on a boombox and ask them what they think of it, all of it has the AT sound about it, I got the impression that RDJ is Morris' go-to guy for bits of music

Ok that was ridiculously vague... I think I might watch brass eye again and take some detailed notes! PS have a look at the TV series of Jam/Blue Jam if you haven't already, the 2nd episode is one of the most perfect things I've ever seen. It's more or less just blue jam set to visuals

Also now I think about it, I don't think anyone is credited for the few small cues in Four Lions (mashups of that Acid Brass LP and Middle Eastern music IIRC), and Warp records made that film, so who knows

edit - about 6:19, very short cue with what sounds like a cornish/west-country accent (they sound like pirates, basically) shouting FAKKK ARRRFFF. my gut feeling is it's RDJ, might not be though, but like I say the impression I get is that little cues here and there would be done by him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcU7FaEEzNU

Frozen Beach
11-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Apparently if you sync Syro u473t8+e and CIRCLONT6A together, you get awesomeness
https://soundcloud.com/jesus-vegas/aphex-twin-syroclont473t8-syroluminescence-mix-stereo

BRoswell
11-09-2014, 11:16 PM
That syncs up too well to be a coincidence. This may also be the best track that both is and isn't on the album. :p

ghostaustin
11-10-2014, 07:17 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/57369-aphex-twin-shares-over-30-unreleased-tracks-in-part-two-of-dave-noyze-interview/

So far the "unreleased tracks" seem to be a lot of sound and texture experiments, not fully fleshed out songs. But I am absolutely loving the slowed down version of CIRCLONT4A

botley
11-10-2014, 08:53 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/57369-aphex-twin-shares-over-30-unreleased-tracks-in-part-two-of-dave-noyze-interview/

So far the "unreleased tracks" seem to be a lot of sound and texture experiments, not fully fleshed out songs. But I am absolutely loving the slowed down version of CIRCLONT4A
That's why he put them up, as context for the interview (http://t.co/u4zaxLfDIU). Doesn't make sense to post them as a playlist without the full commentary. Stupid fuckers at Pitchfork ruin everything, as always. You can of course enjoy the tracks without reading but you won't know what the fuck you're listening to...

Thanks Sutekh, I will go digging now!

Jinsai
11-10-2014, 03:53 PM
it sounds like him jamming on his synths, and it sounds like there's parts of songs from Syro in there... And some of the synth jams are awesome, if you're into this sort of synth noodling awesomeness. I think it's great. I would love to just sit and listen to RDJ noodle around on a Buchla 200e for hours.

Magtig
11-10-2014, 04:41 PM
This interview is fucking bonkers! Christ, you could spend weeks in this thing.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
11-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Does anyone who noodles around on a Buchla think that everyone else should hear it? Alessandro did the same crap. https://soundcloud.com/richarddjames/sets/syrobonkers I am really into synths (I own a couple) and really dig modular equipment but I just don't understand these loopy/boring ass tracks that people consider listen worthy. I might make something like that for myself as an experiment but I wouldn't want anyone else to hear it!

botley
11-11-2014, 08:29 AM
It's interesting for a while, but websites curating "the 5 best unreleased Aphex Twin tracks of the 40 he just dumped on SoundCloud" are missing the point entirely.

Ryan
11-12-2014, 03:22 AM
That's why he put them up, as context for the interview (http://t.co/u4zaxLfDIU). Doesn't make sense to post them as a playlist without the full commentary. Stupid fuckers at Pitchfork ruin everything, as always. You can of course enjoy the tracks without reading but you won't know what the fuck you're listening to...

Thanks @Sutekh (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1595) , I will go digging now!

dave: ok, so finally don’t you feel a bit guilty about pretending to be richard for this interview!?

rich: nah, rich asks me or couple of his other friends to do most of his press for him , don’t think he did any this time around!
i’ve done several email interviews for him in the past, so im used to it, he always says to say whatever the fuck you like and not even sure if he reads them, he usually gives me some good freebies, I got copy 02 of the Syro limited edition this time, which should be worth a few quid!
laters!

^ Trolling, right?

seasonsinthesky
11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
does it matter?

rampface
11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I think that's RDJ's point. It doesn't matter. Just listen to the goddamn music

Leviathant
11-14-2014, 09:47 PM
All of the Soundcloud files for the Syrobonkers! interview have gone offline.

Off Soundcloud, anyway. The internet didn't lose track though (http://we.tl/X43ZWBdqhP).

BRoswell
11-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Glad I downloaded most of them. :D

green
12-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Far from perfect, IMO. It's actually one of my least favorite releases by him.
More so than Syro? I'm a pretty big fan of anything he puts out, but the more I listen to the new album then more I turn up nose at it.

Deepvoid
12-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Syro received a Grammy nomination for Best dance/electronic album.

Magtig
12-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Groove Magazine contacted 25 of their former cover artists to each ask a question of RDJ.

http://www.groove.de/2014/12/25/25-questions-for-aphex-twin/

BRoswell
01-09-2015, 02:55 PM
New EP coming in two weeks:

http://www.avclub.com/article/aphex-twin-already-releasing-more-new-music-213651

botley
01-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Pre-ordered (in 24bit lossless, natch).

Magtig
01-10-2015, 02:33 PM
A 13 track EP? How is this an EP? Do we know how long it is?

Also: YAY!!!

botley
01-10-2015, 02:52 PM
A 13 track EP? How is this an EP? Do we know how long it is?

It's under thirty minutes, lots of shorter tracks. Running times here (https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/computer-controlled-acoustic/id956454376?l=en).

perceptionnexus
01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
If the EP title is literal, this is gonna be seriously interesting if it matches what my head thinks it will sound like

perceptionnexus
01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Also, is there a Pt. 1 or is James just being James?

Lerxto
01-20-2015, 05:58 AM
http://cdn.pitchfork.com/news/58005/ab33c17b.png

Great EP! Track 1 blew my mind instantly.
Pleasantly surprised by this 28-minute musical experiment (and a musically amazing one at the same time).
Tracks 1, 3, 9, 10, 12, 13 will definitely be added to my Aphex Twin playlist.

BBomkamp
01-20-2015, 12:02 PM
PM me for megaupload link

seasonsinthesky
01-20-2015, 02:36 PM
the stuff he does with a piano on this is nuts. sounds like a clock shop upon the strike of the hour!

Magtig
01-20-2015, 02:48 PM
This is so fucking good, can we have a full album please?

eversonpoe
01-21-2015, 03:18 PM
anyone notice this image on the bleep page for the new ep?

https://bleep.com/media/images/extra/ReleaseFormat-137297-6686

i'm not sure how i feel about that :|

seasonsinthesky
01-21-2015, 06:37 PM
why? everything he does is microtonal now. of course he wants the record of acoustic instruments playing out of tune!

botley
01-21-2015, 08:14 PM
why? everything he does is microtonal now. of course he wants the record of acoustic instruments playing out of tune!
Out of tune? Unless your turntable is broken nothing would be out of tune. I interpret that to mean one side of the EP plays at 33.33 RPM and the other at 45.

seasonsinthesky
01-21-2015, 09:58 PM
i was reading the thing in between the numbers as the word "or," so the difference in tuning and speed would be intended as an interactive part of the experiment: RDJ presents the controlled instruments, then you control them further. i mean, he would. right?

eversonpoe
01-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Out of tune? Unless your turntable is broken nothing would be out of tune. I interpret that to mean one side of the EP plays at 33.33 RPM and the other at 45.

i was reading the thing in between the numbers as the word "or," so the difference in tuning and speed would be intended as an interactive part of the experiment: RDJ presents the controlled instruments, then you control them further. i mean, he would. right?

yeah, it definitely says "33 or 45" meaning it's a "variable speed" record. which to me is kind of bullshit, as a vinyl enthusiast. if it's not mastered at the speed at which you're playing it back, it's not going to sound right. and as a sound engineer/musician, it also pisses me off, because it's basically him saying "i don't care what this sounds like when you listen to it".

Jinsai
01-22-2015, 02:11 AM
yeah, it definitely says "33 or 45" meaning it's a "variable speed" record. which to me is kind of bullshit, as a vinyl enthusiast. if it's not mastered at the speed at which you're playing it back, it's not going to sound right. and as a sound engineer/musician, it also pisses me off, because it's basically him saying "i don't care what this sounds like when you listen to it".

I do not feel so strongly, and I think it's a fun way to say "fuck it, and you" to vinyl purists, while at the same time giving us something to dork out about.

I haven't heard the music, so I don't know how it sounds at different speeds. But I have some old horror movie soundtracks that sound great when played at the wrong speed.

As a vinyl enthusiast this should be the most fun way to be handed an album. You actually get to check out both versions of the playback. It's fun. He's having fun.... and you, as a vinyl enthusiast, are the only one equipped to enjoy the joke.

eversonpoe
01-22-2015, 07:57 AM
I do not feel so strongly, and I think it's a fun way to say "fuck it, and you" to vinyl purists, while at the same time giving us something to dork out about.

I haven't heard the music, so I don't know how it sounds at different speeds. But I have some old horror movie soundtracks that sound great when played at the wrong speed.

As a vinyl enthusiast this should be the most fun way to be handed an album. You actually get to check out both versions of the playback. It's fun. He's having fun.... and you, as a vinyl enthusiast, are the only one equipped to enjoy the joke.

that's fair. maybe i'm being too judgmental, too early.

seasonsinthesky
01-22-2015, 10:45 AM
and as a sound engineer/musician, it also pisses me off, because it's basically him saying "i don't care what this sounds like when you listen to it".

same, but i guess i interpreted it the opposite way: he probably does care how it sounds, so either he tried it at the wrong speed and thought it was cool, or – more likely – he wants it used as much as possible in remixes and DJ sets and whatnot, so this is a way of emphasizing its sampling use.

in all likelihood, he's probably just taking the piss. and that's just RDJ, so...

Magtig
01-22-2015, 10:51 AM
... or – more likely – he wants it used as much as possible in remixes and DJ sets and whatnot, so this is a way of emphasizing its sampling use.
I was thinking this exact thing. Some of those 30 second(ish) long songs are begging to be sampled and fleshed out. They're pretty much ready to go as is.

Magtig
01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Oh check this out: RDJ posted an alternate mix to his soundcloud today (download while you can!): https://soundcloud.com/richarddjames

exilajei
01-26-2015, 11:18 PM
He's also posted 28 (so far) older tracks/demos to this weird account (https://soundcloud.com/user487363530). Some amazing stuff here!

Radiovoyr
01-27-2015, 01:39 AM
He's also posted 28 (so far) older tracks/demos to this weird account (https://soundcloud.com/user487363530). Some amazing stuff here!

I can't tell if he is really good at pretending to be someone else with his comments, if he is really bad at pretending to be someone else because the music sounds so much like AFX, or if this unknown guy is really good at sounding like a guy pretending to be AFX.

botley
01-27-2015, 05:57 AM

All 100% real unreleased vintage Aphex. What a great time to be a fan!

Exocet
01-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Some of the demos are stunning and have the atmosphere and sound as though they are from about 1990-1992 sort of resembles Selected Ambient Recordings, Analogue Bubblebath, Surfing of Sine Waves, GAK, Bradley Stynder Ep.

lloyd_dhr
01-27-2015, 10:39 AM
I was about two thirds into downloading them all, then the account vanished :(

Leviathant
01-27-2015, 10:58 AM
I was about two thirds into downloading them all, then the account vanished was renamed :(

https://soundcloud.com/user4873635301 :)

lloyd_dhr
01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
https://soundcloud.com/user4873635301 :)

You're a star :)

lloyd_dhr
01-27-2015, 11:52 AM
4 more tracks were added to the account 'user4873635301', then it went down again. Got them all now, bar one!

Leviathant
01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
4 more tracks were added to the account 'user4873635301', then it went down again. Got them all now, bar one!

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001

Magtig
01-27-2015, 05:32 PM
51 fucking tracks.

Jesus.

edit: Now 52.

How far do you think this will go?

Leviathant
01-27-2015, 05:42 PM
It's too much. I can't handle all this, all at once.

Jinsai
01-27-2015, 05:45 PM
this is insane and awesome

TheyCallMeDrug
01-27-2015, 06:16 PM
good stuff

Leviathant
01-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Square Dance = Heliosphan from SAW 85-92
bcr78 has a synth line that comesi n around 1:25 that would later become Next Heap With, the closing track on ICBYD.

There's a lot more like this in here, and I LOVE IT.

botley
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
This would have probably made my 13-year-old head explode. Unbelievable!

Oh and the new EP is really good, too.

Demogorgon
01-27-2015, 06:41 PM
i'm super late to the party. are these all still available? if not, anybody have a torrent or something put together for them yet?

edit: I'm asking mostly because they won't seem to download for me, with three separate download plugins. hmm.

binaryhermit
01-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Not sure if I should care or not, but pitchfork gave Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Part 2 an 8.3
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20156-computer-controlled-acoustic-instruments-pt2-ep/

EDIT: Also, if someone could collect these demos and put them in one easily downloadable chunk (like a torrent), that'd be great.

Magtig
01-27-2015, 07:56 PM
They'll wind up in a torrent eventually, but he's still uploading. We're downloading them from Soundcloud with a Chrome extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/soundcloud-downloader-fre/libedajeiljdoodmokbppgapcfbignci?hl=en

Magtig
01-27-2015, 07:59 PM
It's too much. I can't handle all this, all at once.
It's like discovering an artist that you fall completely in love who has an extensive back catalog. Except that we've all been fans for years -starved fans- so it compounds the effect. Has anyone ever done anything like this?