PDA

View Full Version : Help, what would you call this list of authors? Vonnegut, bukowski, Huxley, etc

ericy210
10-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Amazon grouped these authors I love. What are they collectively called?
Vonnegut, bukowski, hunter s Thompson, aldous Huxley, ray Bradbury, Anthony burgess, palahniuk... What would you call the group? Thanks for the helphelp

Ryan
10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
"People who write"

aggroculture
10-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Vonnegut, Burgess, Huxley=satire, science fiction
Bradbury=science fiction
Thompson, Palahniuk=gonzo, satire
Bukowski=this style has recently been dubbed "dirty realism"

I suppose a category that groups them all - apart from being white male authors - might be satire (though I have yet to read Bradbury, and on reflection I wouldn't call Bukowski satirical)

Digital Twilight
10-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Essentials

elevenism
05-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Satire fits for me. Bradbury, while being the LEAST satirical of the bunch, did manage to weave some ironic social commentary into his work, albeit through an intergalactic motif.

Charmingly Miserable
05-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Huxley's Brave New World has to be the book of dystopian society. It's the most incredible book I have ever read.

Digital Twilight
05-25-2014, 11:27 AM
I would say '1984' is but I never really took to 'Brave New World' that much (I'll try it again one day)

Speaking of which I got Vonnegut's 'Mother Night' yesterday, not one of his most famous novels but it sounds like an interesting read.

allegro
06-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Vonnegut, Burgess, Huxley=satire, science fiction
Bradbury=science fiction
Thompson, Palahniuk=gonzo, satire
Bukowski=this style has recently been dubbed "dirty realism"

I suppose a category that groups them all - apart from being white male authors - might be satire (though I have yet to read Bradbury, and on reflection I wouldn't call Bukowski satirical)

You have a PhD in English Lit and were an English Professor at NYU, right? I think we have our answer.

elevenism
06-04-2014, 11:50 AM
You have a PhD in English Lit and were an English Professor at NYU, right? I think we have our answer.
well hot damn then i ALMOST got the right answer

Sutekh
10-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Well they all talk about the bleakness of the modern condition in a frank and visceral way that authors from previous generations didn't.

But yeah on paper they're different movements... I guess it's like the way early ministry, big black, butthole surfers, Nirvana, Killing Joke etc are apparently all different genres but have more in common with each other than their supposed genre stablemates