View Full Version : NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3

FULLMETAL
10-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Anyone else hear about this surprise?!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXwnVKiCIAAZHPl.jpg

skullboy0
10-29-2013, 12:06 PM
"Nine Inch Nails are set to tape a performance on Austin City Limits on November 4. The show will air on PBS stations across the country in 2014."

http://tour.nin.com/acl

FULLMETAL
10-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, I should have put two & two together earlier. Since the festivals wouldn't have the full production, the tour personnel identified specific items that would be needed for the festival shows and labeled them as such. Turns out they also flagged "ACL" as well, but I didn't make the connection until now.

Corona Radiata
10-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Fuck yessssss

m15a
10-29-2013, 12:30 PM
wow. really hope some ETSers (is that what we're called?) can make it. and provide the rest of us with some spoilers. supposedly, attendance is limited to 800 people.

Fist Fuck
10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
What kind of show is this? A festival? Tension or festival production? I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a live dvd release.

Corona Radiata
10-29-2013, 12:59 PM
What kind of show is this? A festival? Tension or festival production? I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a live dvd release.They're playing at The Moody Theater. It's a small venue. I'm not sure if they can pull off the full Tension production. They'd be cutting it close. https://www.google.com/search?q=the+moody+theater&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KfdvUqu7Fval4APGvIGwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=553

m15a
10-29-2013, 01:04 PM
has anyone seen any similar bands on ACL? how has their shows compared to their regular concerts? i've only seen folk-type groups.

skullboy0
10-29-2013, 01:14 PM
They're playing at The Moody Theater. It's a small venue. I'm not sure if they can pull off the full Tension production. They'd be cutting it close. https://www.google.com/search?q=the+moody+theater&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KfdvUqu7Fval4APGvIGwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=553

They don't use the full theater for show tapings, there's a good hit on that page that describes it.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/08/57/35/image_1009735578.jpg

Edit: & here's a shot of the current stage setup for TV tapings I found on Wikipedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/ACL_Live_Stage_-_Ron_Baker.JPG

So it'll probably just be the band set up on this stage, probably none of the Tension production. I think the whole point of playing Austin City Limits is playing Austin City Limits, with, uh, all the Limit-ations that brings.

maryelle
10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh god the impossible pain of not being able to get there. A little too far to drive on a Sunday and fares a little too much. I hope some of you get in and tell the rest of us everything.

The Doctor
10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
has anyone seen any similar bands on ACL? how has their shows compared to their regular concerts? i've only seen folk-type groups.

I saw the Deftones there and it was awesome. The sound is great and there's not a bad seat in the house. But as far as stage size and production, I would guess it would be the festival amount of production, not the full Tension experience. But hey, if I could get into this, I'd take any kind of show/production I could get!

I registered for the drawing, so here's hoping.

frothy_ham
10-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Being just a few towns over from Austin, I was all over this like white on muthafuckin rice. I've always wanted to go to an ACL Live show and going to one for my favorite band of all time ever would be...indescribable

thevoid99
10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
OMG, I'm fucking DVRing that man. More NIN on TV is good!!!!!

Krazy
10-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Reading up on this- looks like every show is 60 minutes, and I'm guessing that's a rule stickler so all the shows are unique but the same. (Did that make any sense?)

Kind of glad it's airing next year, will be something to look forward to with them switching up from Tension to festival to Vegas in the coming weeks. (NIN overload)

ekrekel
10-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Woah...really hoping for a way into this one. The stage is only big enough to fit the band, not much else. They typically close off the upper balcony for tapings, but open it up for larger acts. I imagine NIN will get the full ~2500 capacity.

FULLMETAL
10-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Per http://acltv.com/faq/

What are these live streaming events?

Did you know that while tapings can last up to two hours, actual Austin City Limits episodes broadcast on PBS are only 57 minutes long? This means we are only able to include 10-12 songs per episode! In some cases that time is shared between two artists, meaning we may only be able to include 5-6 songs from the set! We collaborate with the artists to choose a mix of songs that best showcases the performance, but what about the rest of the songs?
This is why ACL Live Streams are so important; they’re a ONE TIME chance to catch the entire show, as it’s happening, in High Definition! You finally have a chance to see every song from these historic nights, produced and mixed by our award winning ACL crew! You can watch live streams on our YouTube channel. Be sure to subscribe to our channel so you don’t miss any!
Live Streams are a one-time deal! I repeat, you can only watch the live stream once, so stay tuned to our website, mailing list, and Facebook page for important taping and streaming announcements. If you miss it, you’ll have to wait for the broadcast on PBS. Moving forward we’re doing our best to bring you as many live streams of tapings as possible.

Will you ever repeat the program that includes (insert your favorite artist here)?

After an episode is produced, public television stations have rights to broadcast it four times in three years. Unless the program is still within its three-year window, it is not available for broadcast.

Are CDs or DVDs available?

As the programs are produced for public broadcasting and commercial release is not the priority, rights obligations have made issuing the programs on CD or DVD a challenge. Not an insurmountable one, however: KLRU has recently partnered with New West Records to begin releasing selected episodes from the archives as the Live From Austin TX series. Information on the current catalog can be found here.

Corona Radiata
10-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Record this motherfucker.

Kid Charlemagne
10-29-2013, 09:25 PM
There will be no fan recording of this, you do it, and you'll be kicked out. They film this for the series. Tapings are for the audience who are selected by a lottery system from the website. Judging by this one, very few people will be selected as tickets get handed out to people in the know. The special will be an hour long, but the show itself is usually longer. I saw Neko Case play it a few weeks back and she played for two hours. Sometimes artists will redo a song if they feel they missed something the first time around. Probably only 800 to 1000 will be in attendance, definitely no tour stage since it's small and they'll be in San Antonio the next day. It's not just for folk music, Austin City Limits has specialized in bringing together some of the most sought after acts in music for nearly 40 years, whoever said that borderline offended not me, but the great people I'm close to who help put this taping together.

sick among the pure
10-29-2013, 09:41 PM
There will be no fan recording of this, you do it, and you'll be kicked out.

I think Corona meant record the live stream of it.

m15a
10-29-2013, 09:45 PM
It's not just for folk music, Austin City Limits has specialized in bringing together some of the most sought after acts in music for nearly 40 years, whoever said that borderline offended not me, but the great people I'm close to who help put this taping together.

if you're referring to my post, i said that i had only seen folk music performance from ACL (on TV), not that that's all that has happened. i'm somewhat offended that you would interpret the presentation of folk music as a put down. (well, really, i just think you misread what i said. but if you are saying folk music is lesser music, i would be offended.)

i think Corona Radiata was talking about recording the broadcast. but if not, yeah, this is a free show where they obviously don't want tapers, so, i wouldn't try it.

Corona Radiata
10-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Yes, I was talking about recording the internet stream (assuming there is one).

allegro
10-30-2013, 06:11 AM
There will be no fan recording of this, you do it, and you'll be kicked out. They film this for the series. Tapings are for the audience who are selected by a lottery system from the website. Judging by this one, very few people will be selected as tickets get handed out to people in the know. The special will be an hour long, but the show itself is usually longer. I saw Neko Case play it a few weeks back and she played for two hours. Sometimes artists will redo a song if they feel they missed something the first time around. Probably only 800 to 1000 will be in attendance, definitely no tour stage since it's small and they'll be in San Antonio the next day. It's not just for folk music, Austin City Limits has specialized in bringing together some of the most sought after acts in music for nearly 40 years, whoever said that borderline offended not me, but the great people I'm close to who help put this taping together.
While I was growing up, ACL featured Texas music and I was never into any form of country so I avoided it like the plague. I was actually surprised to learn that they widely broadened their focus.

The Master
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
All I can remember about ACL was being tortured by it on PBS before Doctor Who would air when I was a little kid. I remember a bunch of hicks playing fiddles and blowing on jugs etc, lol. Just a bunch of country and folk singers. So it's pretty fucking awesome NIN will be performing on this show! First time in my life I'll look forward to Austin City Limits! :D

allegro
10-30-2013, 01:47 PM
All I can remember about ACL was being tortured by it on PBS before Doctor Who would air when I was a little kid. I remember a bunch of hicks playing fiddles and blowing on jugs etc, lol. Just a bunch of country and folk singers. So it's pretty fucking awesome NIN will be performing on this show! First time in my life I'll look forward to Austin City Limits! :D
Ha yeah it seemed like every time I happened upon ACL, ROY CLARK was on. So when I was a kid, I associated ACL with a kind of higher level of Hee Haw. :o If you would've told me that a band like NIN would play on ACL, back then, I would've accused you of ingesting PCP.

kevinbeetle
10-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Pearl Jam play ACL in 2009. If I remember correctly, the broadcast took about 6 months to air after the show. I had it on one of my DVRs before it blew up. Here's one of the songs so you can get an idea of what their setup was. The backdrop is the same as the one posted above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGORsGUJIyA

icecream
10-30-2013, 06:10 PM
For some reason I chuckle a little thinking about NIN on PBS.

TheBang
10-30-2013, 09:39 PM
It doesn't look like this will be streamed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AustinCityLimitsTV/

ACL had an upcoming event listing for Portugal The Man before their stream today. After their stream, it now shows the next upcoming event as Sarah Jarosz on Nov. 10.

Dinki Di
10-30-2013, 10:17 PM
I am so jealous of anyone that can get into this show. I've only seen Wilco and Willie Nelson at a taping, not to mention several other artists for regular shows. The sound is great and there isn't a bad seat in the house. The stage is only a foot or two off the ground.

Tickets for tapings usually get you a standing spot on the floor. Upstairs is mostly for VIPs and company sponsored booths. So don't be surprised if you see some empty seats up in the balcony.

Kid Charlemagne
10-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Tickets for tapings usually get you a standing spot on the floor. Upstairs is mostly for VIPs and company sponsored booths. So don't be surprised if you see some empty seats up in the balcony.
It's now a first come basis. The earlier you get there, the best chance you have to getting on the floor, the past few tapings I've been to, I got there about 20 minutes before showtime and we got seats in the balcony.

Dinki Di
10-30-2013, 11:37 PM
That's good to know. Last time we won our tickets through wilcoworld.net, not acl.com. We arrived 20 minutes and stood behind one of the camera set-ups.

Charmingly Miserable
10-30-2013, 11:44 PM
For some reason I chuckle a little thinking about NIN on PBS.
I was thinking the same thing too. If NIN did Live from the Artists Den, then that would be released to DVD.

k258
10-31-2013, 05:53 AM
The nin.com page says "standing will be required."

ekrekel
10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
I think there's hope for a live stream. I'm pretty sure the Portugal the Man taping was announced a few weeks out. NIN was 5-6 days.

mrfang
10-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Hope to win tickets to this one! Sound is definitely better on the floor than in the balcony in this venue.

Regarding fan recording: it can be done if you're stealthy. I recorded audio of Radiohead's taping there last year.

Bands normally play ~90 minutes and then a few songs are cut from the final broadcast so that it can be 57 minutes long.

The lighting setup will likely be even smaller than the Asheville festival setup last weekend, given space constraints.

billpulsipher
10-31-2013, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyKV12Gq0o this actually aired on PBS..they just bleeped out all of Phil's F bombs

ekrekel
10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm in, won a pair from the radio station. oh happy day!

Momito
11-01-2013, 12:16 AM
On the off chance anyone here ends up with an extra ticket, I would gladly give up my vinyl copy of The Fragile and more to be your +1. Just saying.

TheBang
11-01-2013, 02:55 AM
I think there's hope for a live stream. I'm pretty sure the Portugal the Man taping was announced a few weeks out. NIN was 5-6 days.
Well, the problem is that they have the Upcoming Events streaming schedule on YouTube, and the only thing listed is the Sarah Jarosz show, which is several days after NIN.

Dinki Di
11-01-2013, 08:54 AM
If anyone has an extra ticket I will gladly give you my extra GA ticket for the show the next day in San Antonio.

FULLMETAL
11-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, I might as well throw my name in the hat as well since I didn't get tickets. I'll be the sad guy in the standby line on Monday if you need a plus one.

jessamineny
11-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I would have driven from New York. But I'm a stupid addict. :P

BRH129
11-01-2013, 10:54 AM
One does not merely get tickets (a misnomer, anyway) for a show like this. One is chosen. I was chosen.

Leviathant
11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Were you chosen from the tour.nin.com/ACL sign up?

mrfang
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
It looks like winners through the ACL site were emailed half an hour ago. A friend won but I didn't.

BRH129
11-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Were you chosen from the tour.nin.com/ACL sign up?

tour.nin.com

ekrekel
11-01-2013, 11:44 AM
It looks like winners through the ACL site were emailed half an hour ago. A friend won but I didn't.

Anyone hear about a winner from NIN.com?

nvm

BRH129
11-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Anyone hear about a winner from NIN.com?

nvm

I was emailed yesterday at Noon. CST. Boom! (And then I changed my shit-stained pants). It was a very, very happy Halloween for one (well, two of us--since I get to bring a guest).

VampVertigo
11-01-2013, 10:46 PM
In Austin...will be your plus 1 and take you to dinner, free foot rubs, reach arounds, whatever you need to be your forever friend... 512-775-6899 for phone sex, etc...

Selfdestruction
11-01-2013, 11:56 PM
DIDN'T WIN Willing to pay handsomely for entry!

shagg_187
11-02-2013, 01:47 AM
And how the FUCK did I miss the giveaway?! Fuck!

For once I stopped visiting nin.com, I missed it... :/

Lisbeth
11-02-2013, 06:04 AM
I'll be there.

It's just going to be new music.

ekrekel
11-02-2013, 08:14 AM
I'll be there.

What makes you think that? A lot of the more established bands use it as an opportunity to dust off some obscure stuff as well as play a range of songs from the catalog. I bet the ACL folks encourage something unique mixed in to make their taping stand out. I'd like to think taping in the middle of a tour provides a chance to deviate from the nightly set list a bit. I doubt we'll hear Big Man W a Gun, but perhaps a few oldies but goodies or something not typically played.

Lisbeth
11-02-2013, 09:14 AM
What makes you think that? A lot of the more established bands use it as an opportunity to dust off some obscure stuff as well as play a range of songs from the catalog. I bet the ACL folks encourage something unique mixed in to make their taping stand out. I'd like to think taping in the middle of a tour provides a chance to deviate from the nightly set list a bit. I doubt we'll hear Big Man W a Gun, but perhaps a few oldies but goodies or something not typically played.

Because...I know.

BRH129
11-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Because...I know.
Why you gotta be like that?

And...so what? I assume you've you've heard the awesomeness that is HM? Unless, of course you are one of those "why did TR have to get clean and sober (as person whines like a toddler).

Lisbeth
11-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I absolutely love HM...haven't stopped listening to it. And I absolutely love the fact that Trent is sober and happy. Win-win.

m15a
11-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Unless I missed a post, I thought Lisbeth was just stating a fact (or rumor or lie). If true, that would be a pretty significant detail. All new stuff means the whole album, possibly. Anyway, just a rumor at this point.

Anyway, I'm just excited to find out the set list and read some reviews. Could be exciting.

BRH129
11-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I absolutely love HM...haven't stopped listening to it. And I absolutely love the fact that Trent is sober and happy. Win-win.

Yes! I just don't want this bucket list experience (for me) ruined by whiners. Remember that scene in Hi Fidelity when the other record store clerk (not Jack Black) uses/takes a phone to Tim Robbins' face? I have visions of this for people who could ruin this once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Glad to have like-minded fans who will be attending too! Didn't mean to provoke.

ltrandazzo
11-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I'll be there.

Who's your source? Will they be playing Everything? How about AATCHB?

icecream
11-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I think it will be a Wave Goodbye type setlist with HM material sprinkled in to where TS material was previously.

mrfang
11-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I predict that it will be an abbreviated version of what they're playing every other night on this tour, but would love to be proven wrong.

jessamineny
11-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I predict I will be jealous of you kids. :)

ekrekel
11-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Feels like Christmas Eve. Trent could play a 2 hour kazoo rendition of the 2001: space odyssey soundtrack and I'd be happy.

Might have to track the setlist the old fashioned way. The ACL folks are downright mean about cell phone use once the show starts.

Trepkos
11-04-2013, 02:00 AM
I wish he didnt save this show for a surprise. I've prayed for a Austin or Dallas date. I cant afford the travel to South TX. Didn't check the ninternet for a week and this is announced. People in North TX wanna see you too Trent! DFW is the 4th largest Metroplex in the country and Trent hasn't been here since 2008. I'm so jealous of everyone who attended or is attending a show on this tour. I'd sell my soul to be at this show.

EDIT: sorry for ranting. I had to let out some steam...

Emil Dorbell
11-04-2013, 10:26 AM
So... no stream?

m15a
11-04-2013, 11:05 AM
So... no stream?

not unless it's super super secret. nothing about it on the site or youtube. something to look forward to in a couple months, i guess.

billpulsipher
11-04-2013, 12:01 PM
I look forward to watching the broadcast 9 months from now

BRH129
11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Well...I am here. I am ready. Will call opens at six.

ekrekel
11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
^^^^PM'ed BRH129 ^^^^

frothy_ham
11-04-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't usually bitch about anything that the NIN camp does, and I know this is extremely immature, but I am so fucking bummed that I didn't win tix to this show. I live SOOOO close to Austin, and it would be so easy to go to this but the fact that I had absolutely zero control over my chances of getting to be able to see this show...that I just had to throw my name in a few hats and cross my fingers...just feels bad...and I'm frankly just bitter about it.

Oh well, San Antonio is going to be amazing tomorrow and I'll get over it eventually... *dejectedly kicks floor with hands in pockets*

dunebug81
11-04-2013, 02:40 PM
There are a few people selling tickets on Craigslist. I'm down in Laredo and thought about driving up but unfortunately that's not going to work out for me. I don't know if they are scams or not but there is that.

i hope another taper was able to go so we can have the entire performance since it doesn't look like the entire thing will air on the Internet or TV.

Selfdestruction
11-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I'd happily bring anyone who let me to be there plus one to the san Antonio show I've got a hotel there and would provide transport back to Austin call or txt 817-901-9one52

mrfang
11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
There are fewer than 50 of us in the standby line, so come join us. We are almost guaranteed to get in, based on past experience.

Momito
11-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Based on past experience what time does standby get in? Can't make it downtown for a couple of hours and thinking that's too late.

gorast
11-04-2013, 04:50 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/46cb7ee5b75ce48549af27aeda93ddd2/tumblr_mvrbf0KgR61suyyx7o1_1280.jpg

Stage setup. Looks like they're rehearsing Disappointed, based on Josh and Robin. From NIN's Instagram.

Corona Radiata
11-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Hopefully they bust out something cool if they're rehearsing before the show. And hopefully it makes it into the broadcast.

Ryan
11-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Hopefully they bust out something cool if they're rehearsing before the show. And hopefully it makes it into the broadcast.

Like The Cure did with "Burn" from The Crow soundtrack yesterday.

mrfang
11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Based on past experience what time does standby get in? Can't make it downtown for a couple of hours and thinking that's too late.

Standby line isn't allowed in until 7:55, but if you don't get in line soon your chances are smaller.

jessamineny
11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Someone thinks the bus with red flames all over it, parked outside the Moody, is TR's. :p

dunebug81
11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Damn, I wish I would have known about the standby line earlier, I would have made the drive!
Selfdestruction I would have gladly bought you a ticket for tomorrow for one for today.

FULLMETAL
11-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Motherfuck the standby line.

jessamineny
11-04-2013, 08:18 PM
What happened??

FULLMETAL
11-04-2013, 08:26 PM
No one got in from the standby line. Supposedly, there's 15 open seats but the show has started. I've got the setlist and there was an exclusive poster.

gorast
11-04-2013, 08:30 PM
No one got in from the standby line. Supposedly, there's 15 open seats but the show has started. I've got the setlist and there was an exclusive poster.

Man, that's fucked up. Sorry to hear that. :/

icecream
11-04-2013, 09:01 PM
What's on the set list? Typical Tension tour or the Voodoo fest?

Ryan
11-04-2013, 09:11 PM
What's on the set list? Typical Tension tour or the Voodoo fest?

Check the Tour Tug thread.

I also put it on ninwiki.

icecream
11-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks! Very interesting set list.

Corona Radiata
11-04-2013, 09:21 PM
The show will air in spring 2014. I asked one of the producers on twitter.

Krazy
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
ACL promo poster is up on Twitter. Blown up, is this a skeleton playing frisbee in the street?....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/0CAD7E7B-21FD-41BE-811D-98981B24ED69-546-0000004D0947D41A_zps71589cd0.jpg

FULLMETAL
11-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Through the kindness of a couple who left early & a dear young woman named Ashley, I was able to get in for the last third of the show (Satellite onward). Tiny space, lots of people, and cameras moving all about. Was it worth the headache? Probably not. If I hear or see my dorky ass on telly... TOTALLY!

mrfang
11-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Barely got in thanks to a friend. All the Love was on the setlist but not played.

mrfang
11-04-2013, 10:49 PM
First show ever with no HLAH?

ekrekel
11-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Perhaps in a really long time if you don't count CRC or KROQ events.

Ryan
11-04-2013, 11:20 PM
barely got in thanks to a friend. All the love was on the setlist but not played.

fffffffuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

mrfang
11-05-2013, 12:32 AM
i hope another taper was able to go so we can have the entire performance since it doesn't look like the entire thing will air on the Internet or TV.

Quality isn't the best, but it was covered. There will be a torrent eventually.

dunebug81
11-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Meh, I saw the setlist. Nothing special played just all the heavy stuff stripped out. If I would have paid big money to see this I would have been disappointed. I hope this isn't what the Vegas shows will be like.

gorast
11-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Barely got in thanks to a friend. All the Love was on the setlist but not played.

Are you fucking joking? That would've been The Best. Damn it Trent, you have like fourteen people singing on stage, you can do this song now.

FULLMETAL
11-05-2013, 12:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pZ5DTUAl.jpg

Program & ticket. On both of the set lists I saw, I didn't see "All The Love in the World."

mrfang
11-05-2013, 12:56 AM
I took this photo of a paper setlist someone was holding right after the show, though a few of the songs are in the wrong order in addition to All the Love being included. I don't know if this was an early draft different from what the band used onstage?

http://i40.tinypic.com/30j68ic.jpg

WorzelG
11-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Some great photos from this on the Brooklyn Vegan blog

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/11/nine_inch_nails_17.html

FULLMETAL
11-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Fuck. I'll never be as good as the photogs from BV. Totally jelly.

mrfang
11-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Fuck. I'll never be as good as the photogs from BV. Totally jelly.

What's really amazing is how fast he edited his shots and uploaded them.

I shot NIN at Mountain Oasis over a week ago but haven't even gotten my photos up yet. But also I didn't have a deadline, and I have a different day job.

And another photographer at tonight's gig thinks the BV guy left after three songs.

FULLMETAL
11-05-2013, 02:06 AM
Oh man, I can only hope that ATLITW gets played in LA. I'll be pissed if it's only a Texas thing.

WorzelG
11-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Here's a blog about it where for some bizarre reason the blogger reckons the guitarist is Robert Fripp from King Crimson??

http://www.austinbloggylimits.com/2013/11/review-nine-inch-nails-for-acl-tv.html

theimage13
11-05-2013, 05:00 AM
So wait...is THIS (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2013/the-moody-theater-austin-tx-1bc4b5b4.html) the accurate setlist? Because if so....fuck me, that's about the best set list I could have asked for given what's being played on the current tour. It's all of the HM tracks that I wanted to hear and didn't, plus two of my favorite Fragile tracks and In This Twilight. So eager to see what makes the cut for the broadcast. Was there any news at the studio in regard to the potential air date?

reseen_lamenti
11-05-2013, 05:33 AM
So eager to see what makes the cut for the broadcast. Was there any news at the studio in regard to the potential air date?

The show will air in spring 2014. I asked one of the producers on twitter.

ten characters

mrfang
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
So wait...is THIS (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2013/the-moody-theater-austin-tx-1bc4b5b4.html) the accurate setlist? Because if so....fuck me, that's about the best set list I could have asked for given what's being played on the current tour. It's all of the HM tracks that I wanted to hear and didn't, plus two of my favorite Fragile tracks and In This Twilight. So eager to see what makes the cut for the broadcast. Was there any news at the studio in regard to the potential air date?

Yes, that's accurate. And they don't schedule a broadcast date this far ahead, just some time in the spring.

Dinki Di
11-05-2013, 10:18 AM
What an amazing show! I waited all day in the standby line which eventually grew to 100+ people. I was up at the very front and not a single person was 'officially' let in as all tickets had been claimed. The few of us that got in had the ACL volunteers looking out for us and snuck us in when a few people left after the first few songs. I finally got into the show during Came Back Haunted and was surprised to see a few more empty seats.

The screenprint sold out in 40 minutes and was limited to 250.

BRH129
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Meh, I saw the setlist. Nothing special played just all the heavy stuff stripped out. If I would have paid big money to see this I would have been disappointed. I hope this isn't what the Vegas shows will be like.

1. When mentioning a live NIN show, the word "Meh" should never be used.
2. I was there. It was a setlist appropriate for the venue, which is why I believe some of the "heavy stuff" may have been avoided.
3. I've been to enough NIN shows (though never a festival unfortunately) to know that the crowd on the floor--where I was--spread out for my movement during The Wretched. The group of obviously wealthy (donors) middle-agers (I am nearly middle-aged, so I can judge) next to me practically feared for their lives when Survivalism got going. Can you imagine if something like Wish had been played? A funny daydream...
4. Why would Vegas be different from the rest of the non-festival shows on this tour? This isn't a smart-ass answer, but a legitimate question. Is there a reason--other than they added a second night?
5. I saw them in STL on this tour, only a month after HM came out...and I didn't know the album that well. With two kids, I don't have the kind of free time to give albums like this their proper attention. After seeing the show, which was heavy on the HM stuff, I listened to the album with more vigor. His sound is evolving, maturing, and he's obviously A. so confident that his new stuff is THAT good that his fans will embrace it B. "over" the self-loathing, bratty-but-nihilistic music he put out in his twenties and thirties. Don't get me wrong--I still like it, but I've matured too. C. a capitalist who realizes that this is the "old-fashioned" way of selling new albums.

I would bet, after reading some interviews, that the correct answer is D. All of the above for #5.

All I wanted was an experience unlike ANY other NIN experience I've had--and I left satisfied, sweaty, and grateful.

Frydek
11-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Full Tension production? Or more like a festival date?

The Doctor
11-05-2013, 03:13 PM
It was netiher Frydek. Just the standard ACL backdrop and use of typical stage lights. So a tradeoff--intimacy unlike any other show but we lose all the crazy production. And that was ok by me.

As BRH129 said, I went in hoping for a completely unique NIN experience and I got exactly that. So I am grateful. I loved hearing all of the new stuff. Opening with "All Time Low" was incredible and getting to hear "Satellite" live made me swoon with excitement. The highlight for me personally was "Big Comedown" tho. So much energy and...tension...heh. Plus the backing singers really shined in that song.

Bring on the arena show in San Antonio tonight!!!

Corona Radiata
11-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Neither. Review and pictures from ACL's site. http://acltv.com/2013/11/05/nine-inch-nails-exceeds-expectations/

m15a
11-05-2013, 04:27 PM
2. I was there. It was a setlist appropriate for the venue, which is why I believe some of the "heavy stuff" may have been avoided.

also, the "venue" in this case includes TV, which is a different audience than at a regular NIN concert or a festival. i'm sure plenty of people watch ACL just to be introduced to music they don't know about. and there's no ticket price or huge time commitment, so if someone watching doesn't like it, it's not a big deal.

4. Why would Vegas be different from the rest of the non-festival shows on this tour? This isn't a smart-ass answer, but a legitimate question. Is there a reason--other than they added a second night?

the las vegas shows are supposed to not have the full tour visuals because of constraints of the venue. i don't think there's any reason to think the las vegas shows will be so close to this one. ACL is ACL - it's not just a small venue.

btw, love that you edited your post to change "different than" to "different from". :D

billpulsipher
11-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't see how broadcasting the show 6-9 months from now is going to benefit the promotion of the album. By that time, the album will be dead anyway. they should air the damn thing this month

m15a
11-05-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't see how broadcasting the show 6-9 months from now is going to benefit the promotion of the album. By that time, the album will be dead anyway. they should air the damn thing this month

you even interpret "spring" in the most pessimistic way . . .

ninlive
11-05-2013, 06:09 PM
because I am a sucker for posters/lithos etc, anyone have a pic of it? Not that I want it... just want to see.

gorast
11-05-2013, 06:13 PM
because I am a sucker for posters/lithos etc, anyone have a pic of it? Not that I want it... just want to see.
http://i.imgur.com/G7yeTb7l.jpg

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I don't usually bitch about anything that the NIN camp does, and I know this is extremely immature, but I am so fucking bummed that I didn't win tix to this show. I live SOOOO close to Austin, and it would be so easy to go to this but the fact that I had absolutely zero control over my chances of getting to be able to see this show...that I just had to throw my name in a few hats and cross my fingers...just feels bad...and I'm frankly just bitter about it.
I would have been overjoyed to lose a hypothetical lottery for the NY club shows in 2009, rather than seeing my dreams crushed by something as capricious as an overloaded web server. At least you had a shot, remote as it may have been.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I agree that being yoked to a TV network schedule in the 21st century makes no sense at all.

If I were them, I'd put the whole thing online next week. The venn diagram of PBS viewers and motivated NIN fans probably has minimal overlap in 2013, so I don't think it would harm their broadcast audience all that much.

ninlive
11-05-2013, 06:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/G7yeTb7l.jpg

Oh... That's nice.

m15a
11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I agree that being yoked to a TV network schedule in the 21st century makes no sense at all.

If I were them, I'd put the whole thing online next week. The venn diagram of PBS viewers and motivated NIN fans probably has minimal overlap in 2013, so I don't think it would harm their broadcast audience all that much.

not saying i wouldn't want to see the concert online right now, but there is some value* to keeping interest up over a longer time. an album release and tour already have promotional power. maybe someone will not really be paying attention now, but in a few months, they might see the show and think, "oh yeah. i've been meaning to check out what NIN has been up to."

it's good for us big fans, too. there's a lot to talk about now with the touring and all. in 4 months (in the US), there might be much less to talk about, and it'll be good to have a reason to get excited again.

* there's such a thing as non-monetary value, btw. (note not specifically directed at JPH.)

WorzelG
11-05-2013, 06:56 PM
The timing makes perfect sense to promote a 2014 second US tour leg whereas this leg is almost over. (and they're doing that Jimmy Kimmel thing this week aren't they?). Now all they need to do is appear on Later with Jools Holland and announce the April UK show/s finally! (or release a video or two even)

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
not saying i wouldn't want to see the concert online right now, but there is some value* to keeping interest up over a longer time. an album release and tour already have promotional power. maybe someone will not really be paying attention now, but in a few months, they might see the show and think, "oh yeah. i've been meaning to check out what NIN has been up to."
I can see the value in that. I'm just not sure that PBS is the ideal venue for propping up long-term interest, unless you're aiming for the "who the hell is Nine Inch Nails?" demographic. Some dishes are better served hot. :p

m15a
11-05-2013, 07:51 PM
I can see the value in that. I'm just not sure that PBS is the ideal venue for propping up long-term interest, unless you're aiming for the "who the hell is Nine Inch Nails?" demographic. Some dishes are better served hot. :p

i'm not so sure about that. i think i'm a pretty typical NIN fan, being in my 30s and, uh, liking NIN, and i'm a big fan two shows on PBS (Downton Abbey and Sherlock) and have watched a lot of one of their web-based shows, Off Book, which has some aesthetic overlap with NIN, too (talking about glitch art and such).

BRoswell
11-05-2013, 07:56 PM

You guys don't seem to get it. The shows are done as part of a season. They tape the performances, then spend the next few months editing ALL the episodes. It's not like a live stream where they edit as they go, and it's not as if this show takes priority over the others.

Plus, I doubt they would go on the show to promote the new album if they knew ahead of time that the episode wasn't going to air until the spring.

icecream
11-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Trent is almost 50. He's probably got fans older than that who have lost interest in NIN. Maybe he wants to recapture them by being on PBS :p

Ryan Tollefson
11-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Anyone have info about the program, what's that all about?

Arkadin
11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Looking at the list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Austin_City_Limits_performers) of past performers, it seems that the last few years have featured many more rock type performers than was typical in the 80s and 90s. Radiohead was there last year. And some names very familiar to TR have also performed there-David Byrne and Them Crooked Vultures.

This is not the first thing TR has done on PBS. TR is also no stranger to NPR.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-05-2013, 08:52 PM
You guys don't seem to get it. The shows are done as part of a season. They tape the performances, then spend the next few months editing ALL the episodes. It's not like a live stream where they edit as they go, and it's not as if this show takes priority over the others.
Of course. I'm just arguing that for someone as forward looking as Trent, this is like a throwback to Ye Olden Days.

I don't think we should overlook the novelty factor at work here ("Nine Inch Nails on PBS? On Austin City Limits?"). For casual fans — or even knowledgeable non-fans — it's a not-so-insignificant hook. When the show finally airs months from now, we're the only ones who'll even remember, let alone be looking forward to it. I'm not saying this would go viral or anything, but there's a limited window to capitalize on the curiosity of the whole thing.

i'm not so sure about that. i think i'm a pretty typical NIN fan, being in my 30s and, uh, liking NIN, and i'm a big fan two shows on PBS (Downton Abbey and Sherlock) and have watched a lot of one of their web-based shows, Off Book, which has some aesthetic overlap with NIN, too (talking about glitch art and such).
Yeah, I could be way off base about that. It's been years since I've had the patience to watch TV, and I was a fan of PBS back then. But then, I'm not a typical NIN fan either.

theimage13
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM

I couldn't possibly care less about whatever other Late Night show he's playing later this week. Honestly, I probably won't even be bothered to check Youtube for clips.

But you can bet your ass I'll be keeping an eye out for the Austin City Limits performance. One of my favorite live DVDs still is the Ben Folds Five session from the 90s. I don't have cable, and of the networks that I get, PBS is the only one I really give a shit about. So while I may very well be in the minority, I for one am still absolutely thrilled to see that this has happened.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I couldn't possibly care less about whatever other Late Night show he's playing later this week. Honestly, I probably won't even be bothered to check Youtube for clips.

But you can bet your ass I'll be keeping an eye out for the Austin City Limits performance. One of my favorite live DVDs still is the Ben Folds Five session from the 90s. I don't have cable, and of the networks that I get, PBS is the only one I really give a shit about. So while I may very well be in the minority, I for one am still absolutely thrilled to see that this has happened.
And speaking strictly as a NIN fan, so am I! But I'm also looking at it from a wider perspective where bending the TV paradigm a bit could produce dividends. I.e., put a rough edit on YouTube now, but also broadcast the fully polished show next year as scheduled.

I'll shut up now. :)

m15a
11-05-2013, 09:29 PM
The fans are the people that know about the show now. After PBS has more time for promotion, nonfans might know too. Most people don't follow when TV shows tape, just when they air. Downton Abbey and Sherlock both have a pretty big broad fan base, and those shows are airing in January/February. Plus, there are the people that regularly watch ACL or will just check to see if anything interesting is on this spring season.

NINisamazing
11-05-2013, 10:04 PM
First show ever with no HLAH?

NO............

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-05-2013, 10:38 PM

http://acltv.com/2013/11/05/nine-inch-nails-exceeds-expectations/

Charmingly Miserable
11-05-2013, 10:51 PM
I love the very last pic of Robin. He has that look saying, "Uh, Trent. Are you sure we're supposed to be playing this kind of show? On PBS?"

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Looks like the show could air as early as January. http://acltv.com/2013/09/23/austin-city-limits-announces-its-new-season/

rampface
11-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Seems like this was a great opportunity to capture the new lineup as well as a special treat for us, the fans, to have for our viewing pleasure. Don't see what the big deal is. Would you rather they skipped this all together? What if this is the only professionally shot footage from this leg of the tour with this band? Chill out guys! Relax and enjoy! Let's just hope they air the right songs....

WorzelG
11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
I really enjoyed reading Leslie Nichols' Twitter feed. She's a producer of the show and put up some photos and tidbits about the recording

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOtherLeslie

BRH129
11-06-2013, 12:12 PM
I really enjoyed reading Leslie Nichols' Twitter feed. She's a producer of the show and put up some photos and tidbits about the recording

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOtherLeslie

I was there, and that feed was awesome. I wouldn't have found it without you WorzelG, thanks!

BRH129
11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
I love the very last pic of Robin. He has that look saying, "Uh, Trent. Are you sure we're supposed to be playing this kind of show? On PBS?"

LMAO! There were a couple of times during the show when I saw Robin looking out into the audience trying to pick out who were the real fans and who were the rich douchebags (who probably didn't even know his name).

WorzelG
11-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I was there, and that feed was awesome. I wouldn't have found it without you WorzelG, thanks!

From her feed, all the ACL crew seemed really excited and into it, it was quite heartwarming

BRH129
11-06-2013, 12:40 PM

About half way through the show, an entourage of people with a small-ish child (probably age 2-4) sleeping on the shoulder of one adult walked through the theater, (couldn't tell you who the kid was) around the cameras and out. That made me think. Maybe this ACL appearance is for posterity. Maybe he's letting the best in the business capture this moment for them (his sons--and I'm not saying the child I saw was one of his sons). Will they ever understand just how important their father was in this landscape of music? This ACL episode just might be that credential. Seeing is believing, after all.

BRH129
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
A few of these photos are better than the ACL photog. Wow.

BRH129
11-06-2013, 12:45 PM

You will all be invited to STL for a viewing party. I hope they keep the part where TR jokes about his choice in antiperspirant. (Seriously, I couldn't make that up.)

BRH129
11-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Love the photos. Hate the comments. If I could personally punch all the haters, I would.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Love the photos. Hate the comments. If I could personally punch all the haters, I would.
Someone actually called NIN "Dad Rawk"…? :rolleyes:

Heh. Let's see if your dad is still standing after March of the Pigs.

Dinki Di
11-06-2013, 07:48 PM
If anyone is still interested in the silkscreen poster, the artist Rob Jones will have a small number for sale on his site later this week. He does lots of work for Jack White and Third Man Records, so I am sure this poster will be sought after by more than just NIN fans.

http://instagram.com/p/gWpCvNgsEK/

http://www.animalrummy.com/

dunebug81
11-06-2013, 11:27 PM
That poster is stupid. He slaps a NIN logo on a screen grab off google maps and is charging god knows how much? Wow.

icecream
11-07-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm not shocked the readers to a blog called BrooklynVegan doesn't take kindly to NIN, (I'm assuming it's hipster trash). If it doesn't sound like some Fleet Foxes/Mumford and Sons knock off then it's shit. Or, if it isn't European eletropop then it isn't worth listening to. It's just pop music for College kids. In my opinion, it's quite the achievement when Kanye West in 2013, arguably one of the biggest and most influential artist of the last ten years, makes an album that is clearly influenced by the industrial music Trent was making almost 20 years ago. More impressive, to me at least, than some guy playing a banjo and a bass drum in 4/4 at the same time.

BRH129
11-07-2013, 09:26 AM
If anyone is still interested in the silkscreen poster, the artist Rob Jones will have a small number for sale on his site later this week. He does lots of work for Jack White and Third Man Records, so I am sure this poster will be sought after by more than just NIN fans.

http://instagram.com/p/gWpCvNgsEK/

http://www.animalrummy.com/

Cannot thank you enough. I had no idea how badly I'd want one of these until after the whole experience. You are my new BFF!

ekrekel
11-07-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm interested to see what he winds up charging. There's potential for him to look like a huge jerk if he sells 250 of them to the band that are sold at the show for $25 then reserves or reprints a set for his sale at $100+.

Dinki Di
11-07-2013, 10:27 AM
No, they would be part of the 250. I'm guessing he has 10% of them based on what I've seen with other screenprint artists.

mrfang
11-07-2013, 11:31 AM
I had a friend buy one for me before I got in, without having seen the image, but it's really not that exciting.

BRH129
11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
For all you who are interested, here's my version of the events that happened on Monday. I still cannot believe that I was there.

http://welldocumentedlife.blogspot.com/2013/11/good-karma.html

mrfang
11-07-2013, 11:30 PM
For all you who are interested, here's my version of the events that happened on Monday. I still cannot believe that I was there.

That's obviously Charlie Clouser in the photo with TR and Dr. Dre.

And only one song from TDS was played. :)

BRH129
11-07-2013, 11:42 PM
That's obviously Charlie Clouser in the photo with TR and Dr. Dre.

And only one song from TDS was played. :)

Thanks, man! My memory is really, slipping, slipping in my old age! It will be fixed soon...

Ryan
11-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks, man! My memory is really, slipping, slipping in my old age! It will be fixed soon...

Charlie Clouser at the mixing desk with Trent and Dr. Dre, Danny Lohner in the background.

BRH129
11-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Charlie Clouser at the mixing desk with Trent and Dr. Dre, Danny Lohner in the background.

You rock! Thanks. There was no caption on the photo I lifted--and I'm just not that good. :eek:

BRH129
11-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I linked the JKL "All Time Low" in my blog post since it was so similar to the one I saw at ACL. Also, the version of "Various Methods of Escape" didn't do justice to how it was performed at ACL or St. Louis in October, for that matter (and is NOT linked as a result). The front row video of "Sanctified" was a also a pretty close match. It goes to show you that if you get good musicians (Ilan Rubin and Pino Palladino) you can really be inventive and new every time you play.

mrfang
11-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Sound is always too reverby up in the balcony, but here's a link to download or stream an mp3 of Came Back Haunted from my audience recording of the ACL taping.

http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/60767804/file.html

screwdriver
11-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Sound is always too reverby up in the balcony, but here's a link to download or stream an mp3 of Came Back Haunted from my audience recording of the ACL taping.

http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/60767804/file.html

that sounded great, thanks -- any others?

jesus
11-08-2013, 10:42 PM

AWESOME REVIEW! Thank You!

mrfang
11-08-2013, 11:04 PM
that sounded great, thanks -- any others?

I'll torrent the whole show eventually, but it needs remastering and I have other projects to work on first.

screwdriver
11-09-2013, 01:07 AM
I'll torrent the whole show eventually, but it needs remastering and I have other projects to work on first.
Thanks!!! Can't wait

ekrekel
11-09-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm hoping Varoius Methods of Escape makes the ACL final cut. Hearing Even Deeper for the first time was pretty cool as well.

I took a closer look at the poster today someone described a skeleton playing frisbee is actually a skeleton with a paintbrush and a spilled bucket of paint. It's about 1" wider and 1" taller than the old NIN show posters. The same size as the HM Tour Dates poster. Once it flattens back out, I'll find space for it.

Ray1971
11-17-2013, 03:01 PM
As a pioneering artist, Nine Inch Nails constantly seeks new ways to present its vision to the public. As America’s longest-running music television show, Austin City Limits regularly pushes the envelope of presenting music on the small screen. So it was only natural for NIN and ACL to bring their acronyms together for an electrifying performance.
Fronting an eight-piece band that included longtime NIN guitarist Robin Finck, backing vocalists Lisa Fischer and Sharlotte Gibson and British bass legend Pino Palladino, Trent Reznor created an atmosphere of tension and release, with songs that offered both discomfort and catharsis. Opening with “All Time Low,” from the new album Hesitation Marks, the band rode an atmospheric funk groove married to classic NIN bile – “Everything is not OK!” Reznor seethed. NIN moved into the broiling “Sanctified,” from the debut Pretty Hate Machine, but pulled back from the original’s pound for a slow burn that raised the temperature in the theater. The droning “Disappointed” and the electrofunking “Copy of a” also grew in power, but never quite exploded, preferring instead to make the crowd sweat. The band constantly kept us on our toes with contrasting flavors – the pretty piano of “The Frail” leading directly into the scorched landscape of “The Wretched,” the noisy guitar swatches that punctuated the Reznorized soul of “Satellite,” the nervous electronic percussion under the soaring vocal of “While I’m Still Here,” the drum-heavy rumble leading into the singalong chorus of “The Big Come Down.” NIN challenge their audience even as they entertain them.
When the tension was given release, the results were awesome, whether it was the roaring rock & roll crunch of “Came Back Haunted” or the melancholy piano and floating groove of “Find My Way.” NIN ended the show with its classic anthem “Hurt” – the ultimate in cathartic performance art. We can’t wait for our viewers to experience this show for themselves – watch this space for broadcast information.

Ray1971
11-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Link to artical on the austin city limit's site http://acltv.com/2013/11/05/nine-inch-nails-exceeds-expectations/

Corona Radiata
12-10-2013, 08:44 PM
A producer for ACL just told me that the show will be airing sometime in April and they should be confirming soon. April is going to be a great month.

mrfang
12-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Additionally, the audience audio of the full show will be torrented before Xmas, it just needs a bit more remastering.

Scarlet Siren
12-11-2013, 04:14 AM
I want one of those silkscreen prints, Rob Jones is one of my favourite silkscreen artists :( I'd contact him myself but I've already hounded him enough for certain prints this year!

MrSlfDstruct
12-20-2013, 02:22 PM
This will air April 5 according to NIN's Facebook.

fillow
12-20-2013, 02:29 PM
uhhh is it Apr 5th or May 4th?

FULLMETAL
12-20-2013, 02:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Nbik790l.png

WorzelG
12-20-2013, 02:44 PM
^^^do these performances get streamed on the acl website soon after they air on PBS do you know?

suprefan
12-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Its available at the same time. But its not going to be hd, if thats what youre expecting out of it.

theimage13
12-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Good thing someone posted this here, because Facebook hasn't bothered to put any of the last three NIN posts on my newsfeed. Why the fuck do I even use that site anymore if they don't actually show the posts of the people I'm supposedly following?

mrfang
12-23-2013, 03:24 AM
Audience audio of the full show is now available on Dime.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Its available at the same time. But its not going to be hd, if thats what youre expecting out of it.
Since I don't have a TV these days, I'll take what I can get.

Do they ever put shows out on DVD?

mrfang
12-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Select songs may end up on a DVD at the end of the program's season, but the full episode will not.

Fans are likely to torrent an HD rip of the video at Dime after the first broadcast.

theimage13
12-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Yes. I don't know how often, but one of my favorite live DVD releases to this day is Ben Folds Five at ACL, circa 1997(ish).

Corona Radiata
01-27-2014, 02:39 AM
I just realized this airs on the same night that NIN play Lollapalooza Brazil, and if there is a stream we may have to make a choice...

mrfang
01-27-2014, 11:16 PM
I just realized this airs on the same night that NIN play Lollapalooza Brazil, and if there is a stream we may have to make a choice...

The ACL TV program will be aired several times by dozens of stations, not just once.

Corona Radiata
01-28-2014, 03:58 AM
I know. I'm just saying on the actual night it premiers we might have to choose which one to watch first.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-13-2014, 09:06 PM
From the NIN-Spotting thread:

CBH from ACL is up: http://video.klru.tv/video/2365178305/
Great audio, and I like the camera work.

screwdriver
02-13-2014, 11:36 PM
From the NIN-Spotting thread:

Great audio, and I like the camera work.
holy shit this is great

r_k_f
02-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Came Back Haunted Video http://video.klru.tv/video/2365178305/

theimage13
02-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Mix is far better than the other late night gig they did in that time frame. Looking forward to April.

r_k_f
02-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Mix is far better than the other late night gig they did in that time frame. Looking forward to April. agreed, they seem to know what they're doing..

That other guy
02-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Psst: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2640-NIN-playing-Austin-City-Limits-11-4/page7

:p

theimage13
02-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Psst: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2640-NIN-playing-Austin-City-Limits-11-4/page7

:p

Which is exactly why I'm glad there's a new thread for this. That's been up since before I went to bed last night, and I never even knew about it because I don't compulsively check the "random..." threads. Obviously the mods are free to lock this up if they think it's redundant (or at least move it to the ACL thread and change the title).

r_k_f
02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
blah.. I like this location better.. :)

Halo Infinity
02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Which is exactly why I'm glad there's a new thread for this. That's been up since before I went to bed last night, and I never even knew about it because I don't compulsively check the "random..." threads. Obviously the mods are free to lock this up if they think it's redundant (or at least move it to the ACL thread and change the title).
Perhaps a good merger and bump can be in order? I'm just saying, and from the looks of it, merging is done so frequently and smoothly that almost nobody seems to notice. :p

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2855-Merging-Duplicate-Threads?p=159830#post159830

Toadflax
02-14-2014, 04:30 PM
The mix is solid, the direction is great, and the band is on fire. Should be a great show!

Volband
02-18-2014, 12:18 PM
That CBH video is (intentionally or not) pretty fucked up, but I can't wait to see that milf in hd who's doing that lsd dance or whatever it is.

mrfang
02-18-2014, 11:51 PM
This audio mix sounds substantially better than what was coming out of the speakers in the room that night. :)

elevenism
02-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Damn. I sure do have a hard-on for an "unplugged/still" style nin show.
I was hoping that this would be it, but i guess it wasn't.
I KNOW it's gonna happen someday, i can just feel it.

theimage13
02-24-2014, 03:34 PM
This audio mix sounds substantially better than what was coming out of the speakers in the room that night. :)

Shoots done specifically for broadcast are rarely concerned too much with house audio. It's not entirely neglected, but it's far from the priority. Especially in a studio environment (versus a theater or arena).

mrfang
02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Shoots done specifically for broadcast are rarely concerned too much with house audio. It's not entirely neglected, but it's far from the priority. Especially in a studio environment (versus a theater or arena).

Speaker placement and the shape of the space are also issues in that venue. The mix always sounds much better on the floor than up in the balcony.

reseen_lamenti
02-26-2014, 09:04 PM
EPISODE SETLIST:

All Time Low
Sanctified
Came Back Haunted
Copy of a Copy
The Frail / The Wretched
The Big Come Down
In This Twilight
While I'm Still Here
Hurt

Source (http://acltv.com/episode/season-40/nine-inch-nails/)

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Seems like a pretty good over all selection. We know they have to make it fit inside of an hour, so they can’t use everything.

dunebug81
02-26-2014, 10:46 PM
In This Twilight, nice!

gorast
02-27-2014, 12:14 AM
That's a good mix of old and new. Really glad In This Twilight made the cut, that song is so damn good. While I'm Still Here, too.

That weekend's going to be fucking incredible. Captain America on Friday, NIN on Saturday, Game of Thrones on Sunday...

martin_b
02-27-2014, 01:32 AM
I thought that there will be a full concert...

I did not know this show before (I read about it for the first time in this thread). But now, I do.

Fist Fuck
02-27-2014, 01:39 AM
Too bad they skip the entire Hesitation Marks middle section, but I'm glad In This Twilight made the cut. Will we ever see the other footage from this show?

Corona Radiata
02-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Its possible. I noticed ACL uploading a bunch of unaired songs from other ACL shows on their Youtube channel a couple weeks ago.

WorzelG
02-27-2014, 02:58 AM
In the band credits they didn't credit Josh Eustis with saxophone, did they play Black Noise? I really hope they do as it will be really weird to edit it out from While I'm Still Here. And I hope Even Deeper turns up somewhere

jessamineny
02-27-2014, 07:11 AM
That's a good mix of old and new. Really glad In This Twilight made the cut, that song is so damn good. While I'm Still Here, too.

That weekend's going to be fucking incredible. Captain America on Friday, NIN on Saturday, Game of Thrones on Sunday...

You're a month ahead of yourself for NIN on ACL. :(

tricil
02-27-2014, 09:26 AM
How is there a track list already?

jessamineny
02-27-2014, 09:44 AM
It's been almost four months since the concert. They're probably finished with the edit.

skullboy0
02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
How is there a track list already?

Coz the Austin City Limits show website posted one?

tricil
02-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Coz the Austin City Limits show website posted one?

Ah. I didn't know that. Has there ever been a commercial release of ACL footage? It would be cool if this made it onto the Tension release

gorast
02-27-2014, 11:37 AM
You're a month ahead of yourself for NIN on ACL. :(
What? No, they're all the weekend of April 4th, right?

Kyle
02-27-2014, 01:51 PM

I think it's the following week (not a month though).

AgentofChaos
02-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Maybe I'm alone in this but that setlist is pretty frustrating if you consider the Tension DVD that's on it's way. It would have been nice to have properly recorded of versions of songs that werent on the LA set list, like Various Methods or I Would For You. But every single song played in this episode will be on the other DVD. Hopefully they see the light of day in some way outside of the episode.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Austin City Limits announces a special broadcast featuring NINE INCH NAILS making a rare television appearance in an epic, full-hour performance. The new episode premieres on Saturday, April 5th as a preview of ACL’s 40th Anniversary Season.
Same weekend indeed.

Kyle
02-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Same weekend indeed.

My bad. I was looking at the thread title and was wondering why it wasn't Americanized. But that was the performance date, wasn't it?

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Maybe I'm alone in this but that setlist is pretty frustrating if you consider the Tension DVD that's on it's way. It would have been nice to have properly recorded of versions of songs that werent on the LA set list, like Various Methods or I Would For You. But every single song played in this episode will be on the other DVD. Hopefully they see the light of day in some way outside of the episode.
VMOE was played in LA, according to RITC (http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/20131108.html). So other than IWFY, the Tension DVD should cover everything that’s been edited out of ACL.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-27-2014, 03:59 PM
My bad. I was looking at the thread title and was wondering why it wasn't Americanized. But that was the performance date, wasn't it?
Yup, November 4.

eversonpoe
02-27-2014, 04:01 PM

i believe they played the actual performance on november 4th, hence the thread title.

gorast
02-27-2014, 04:52 PM
I think it may be time for the thread title to be changed, to reflect the broadcast date of 4/5.

ekrekel
03-17-2014, 11:40 PM

I really hoped Various Methods of Escape would have made the list. It's one of my favorites from the new album.

This is thread should move to the tour journal at some point. I'd hate for it to get buried forever in the main tour forum.

Yogibear303
03-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Ah. I didn't know that. Has there ever been a commercial release of ACL footage? It would be cool if this made it onto the Tension release

there has been commercial release of certain (not all) ACL shows both Best of Season XX and band specific, i don't know who or what determines the release of the band specific shows on dvd but those are owned/mfg/distributed by ACL/PBS so i don't think any of this footage will be on the TENSION DVD...i'm hoping PBS releases the full show on DVD. : fingers crossed :

redshoewearer
03-19-2014, 10:44 AM
there has been commercial release of certain (not all) ACL shows both Best of Season XX and band specific, i don't know who or what determines the release of the band specific shows on dvd but those are owned/mfg/distributed by ACL/PBS so i don't think any of this footage will be on the TENSION DVD...i'm hoping PBS releases the full show on DVD. : fingers crossed :

Has PBS done this with other bands? Is there a precedent?

theimage13
03-19-2014, 10:46 AM

I keep thinking the answer is yes, and wanting to cite Ben Folds Five. But I just realized that that was Sessions at West 54th, not ACL.

Damnit.

Kyle
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM

A quick amazon search found me this

R.E.M. - Live From Austin TX
http://amzn.com/B0041WM9WA

Yogibear303
03-19-2014, 08:16 PM

Oh yeah! I don't know the contracts or parameters of what goes into a single band release DVD for ACL but the answer is yes, I mean, you can buy them in the airport here in Austin.

http://www.shoppbs.org/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2831220

WorzelG
03-31-2014, 02:01 PM
Really looking forward to watching this. Anyone able to find out when this stuff is on next week and if it's watchable online at the time of broadcast (via tunnelbear in case of region locking) ? And will it be generally viewable after the broadcasts?

BRoswell
03-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Fucking hell. Just checked the listing for our local PBS station, and while they'll be showing the show on Saturday, it'll be on one of their subchannels that I don't get. Just my luck.

thevoid99
03-31-2014, 02:16 PM
I already got the episode set to record on that night as I'm very excited to see this on HD TV.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
03-31-2014, 03:08 PM
"Copy of a Copy"...

WorzelG
03-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Leslie Nichols, a producer of the show says on twitter it will be available online at this address on the evening of the 5th
http://video.pbs.org/

Mr.Metheus
03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
If anyone's looking for a simple way to stream it on their TV, PBS has an app on Xbox and episodes are usually posted the morning after they air including ACL. I think they're available for at least a few weeks.

TheBang
04-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Fucking hell. Just checked the listing for our local PBS station, and while they'll be showing the show on Saturday, it'll be on one of their subchannels that I don't get. Just my luck.
My PBS station isn't showing it until April 12. Bleh.

hollowsminion
04-01-2014, 12:16 PM
My local PBS station doesn't have it on the schedule this weekend or next nor on any of the other 3 subchannels they broadcast. I've emailed them about any Austin City Limits airings because I tuned in for QOTS and they didn't air that either! All they seem to like to show are repeats of BBC shows....don't get me wrong I LIKE those shows but when PBS has new content shouldn't that actually AIR?! Hopefully I get a response from them about when/if it airs....waiting....hoping.

Canuckle
04-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Sorry if I'm late on this but this sounds pretty darn awesome... (I haven't heard the new Sanctified until now).

http://vimeo.com/89662554

Ryan
04-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Sorry if I'm late on this but this sounds pretty darn awesome... (I haven't heard the new Sanctified until now).

http://vimeo.com/89662554

Ya'll been living under a rock?!

Leviathant
04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Ya'll been living under a rock?!
Apparently, Canuckle, your apology wasn't good enough for Ryan :p

Ryan
04-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Yes hurry up and impress me! :p

Canuckle
04-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Yes hurry up and impress me! :p

As an avid NIN fan, I avoided this version until now! Are you not entertained?! Impressed?! AGASP?!

Frankly, I wanted to avoid the majority of poor sounding versions of Sanctified given the rave reviews it received. I broke on this version seeing at was endorsed specifically by NIN themselves. The video is new though... so I hope it was still a worthwhile contribution (unless it's not new and I am again, unimpressive).

cynicmuse
04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
The highest quality on the website is 480p, after you give them either a facebook account or gmail profile so that they can shake you down for money. If you have access to OTA PBS HD, that's 1080i. My local PBS station is playing this at midnight on 4/6. I know what I'll be doing early Sunday morning.

ekrekel
04-01-2014, 07:40 PM
"Copy of a Copy"...

HD Copy of A...

sick among the pure
04-01-2014, 09:00 PM
The highest quality on the website is 480p, after you give them either a facebook account or gmail profile so that they can shake you down for money. If you have access to OTA PBS HD, that's 1080i. My local PBS station is playing this at midnight on 4/6. I know what I'll be doing early Sunday morning.

Guess I'll be waiting for an HD broadcast rip instead of watching on their site. I can see having it lower, but holy fuck 480...

cynicmuse
04-01-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm recording OTA into EyeTV from KOCE-TV. Hopefully, we'll get a number of HD captures so we can identify the cleanest recording without lower-thirds or other obtrusive station inserts.
Same PBS station for me. I'll probably run two captures with different antenna and tuners to be safe

SM Rollinger
04-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Lol, i dont even have cable anymore. Im going to watch it old school, over the air waves via antenna :)

Conan The Barbarian
04-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Has it been confirmed that it will be shown as a whole and not cut up into different parts?

virushopper
04-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Has it been confirmed that it will be shown as a whole and not cut up into different parts?
In parts.

Probably running time is 50 or so minutes and an interview with Trent at the end.

m15a
04-02-2014, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by cut up, but it will be only part of the concert. 10 songs, I think. (Maybe a bonus song online if we're lucky.) I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's a little less than an hour.

gorast
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Each episode focuses on a single artist, right? Maybe that's what Conan's confused about. (I've never watched ACL.)

Kyle
04-02-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by cut up, but it will be only part of the concert. 10 songs, I think. (Maybe a bonus song online if we're lucky.) I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's a little less than an hour.
The broadcast setlist was posted somewhere but I don't remember what it was. Probably on this thread.

spahn
04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
The broadcast setlist was posted somewhere but I don't remember what it was. Probably on this thread.

See here: http://acltv.com/episode/season-40/nine-inch-nails/

Charmingly Miserable
04-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Lol, i dont even have cable anymore. Im going to watch it old school, over the air waves via antenna :)
I don't even own a tv, so I'm either gonna have to watch it on my sister's tv or crash someone's house and watch it there.