PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who

Pages : [1] 2 3

pequena
12-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Whovians unite!!

I know a fair bit of us are fans, and for some reason I don't recall there being a Doctor Who thread on olde ETS (but then again I wasn't watching it before this spring) so how about one now?

So, allons-y! Geronimo! Let's discuss :)

Who was your first? Who's your favourite? (Doctor and/or companion) How do you feel about the storyline right now?

And as always, remember to tag for spoilers ;)

new now
12-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Love River Song (in more ways than are appropriate) thought it brought an impressive new element to the Doctor and loved the tie in to the last companions - trying to veer away from 'spoilers!'

sessava
12-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I didn't begin Doctor Who until the relaunch, so Christopher Eccleston was my first. I'd say my favourite would be Matt Smith, he feels more Doctor-y to me than any of the others. Companion-wise, well, I used to love Amy but this season I've really come to despise her. Vice versa for Rory, used to hate him, now I love him. I'd have to say Rose is my favourite now. I'm really excited for the Christmas special and the next season as it should be amazing, but I don't know about the whole plot they're doing. I've never been a big fan of the River Song storyline and honestly the last half of season 6 was really disappointing to me. I'm sure they'll get their act together, but I suppose we'll see.

I'm one of those people who really appreciated what they did towards the end of 10's storyline - being companion-less and giving us a glimpse into what he could be, something much different from the Doctor we know and love. I'm very interested to see that story continue with 11, assuming it does, and would expect it to lead directly to the Valeyard plot-line that's so often discussed in fan communities.

kitz
12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
My first was David Tennant, because I started watching the series in 2008. I haven't watched the old DW episodes, only saw the film. The best companion was Donna WITH A MILE. I loved her humour!! :) and Alex Kingston as River Song is really good indeed. I'm biased, I just loved everything that is Doctor Who.

(and on the old ETS the thread's name was Dr. Who, and it was so bad. I hate when people write it this way)

DF118
12-02-2011, 04:01 PM
The timing of next season's proposed revelation is going to be interesting, coinciding with the show's 50th anniversary and all. If they give the game away on the "question", it'll be the end for the show, for sure.

My money's on a reintroduction of the Cartmel Masterplan.

sheepdean
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I think that if Amy left, the current lineup could be brilliant. I just can't connect with her at all as an assistant, and The Doctor hasn't travelled without enough men in nuWho

WingWalker
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Loving Matt Smith, he's such a mercurial Doctor. Amy Pond I could live without. Has to be the most narcissist, self-absorbed companion ever. Rory's good when the writers give him something to do other than die.

sheepdean
12-02-2011, 05:02 PM
My main issue with Amy is how HORRIBLE she is. She totally doesn't seem to give a shit about her husband/fiancée (depending which season), and didn't even seem to try that hard to remember him post-forest. She only wants to do what's best for her.

I say bring back Susan.

WingWalker
12-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I say bring back Susan.

Wouldn't be surprised, especially if River Song is involved in that bit of work. Seeing it only requires diddling in the TARDIS to make little Time Lords/Ladies. Would bring out the Doctor's paternal side, yada yada yada blah blah blah.

sheepdean
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't be surprised, especially if River Song is involved in that bit of work. Seeing it only requires diddling in the TARDIS to make little Time Lords/Ladies. Would bring out the Doctor's paternal side, yada yada yada blah blah blah.
Susan was born on Gallifrey though, and that might be rather difficult. Unless Moffat starts chugging cough syrup again

WingWalker
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah, well, look at the "12 regenerations/13 lives" thing. Retconning is now the rule not the exception.

sheepdean
12-02-2011, 06:15 PM
The 12 regenerations can be (very, very loosley) explained as being a law, rather than a species' requirements. After all, more than once a Time Lord beat the 12 (Master, Rassilon)

Endlessly
12-02-2011, 07:22 PM
My first Doctor was Eccleston-- I was introduced to the show with The Empty Child at 2AM (thanks for the nightmares, Moffat!). Definitely going to agree with Donna for favorite Companion, but admittedly I still haven't seen classic Who.

sheepdean
12-02-2011, 07:35 PM
My first Doctor was Eccleston-- I was introduced to the show with The Empty Child at 2AM (thanks for the nightmares, Moffat!). Definitely going to agree with Donna for favorite Companion, but admittedly I still haven't seen classic Who.
Every non-lost episode is online, and a hell of a lot are actually streaming legally (there's a few master torrents out there too, if you know where to look). If you ever feel like grabbing onto it, you should start from S1E1 though, to get the feel of how it evolved.

Nappyp
12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Are the older seasons worth it? / how do they compare?

Nappyp
12-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Im powering through my rewatch. Hoping to make it in time for the special on the 25th.

Rory brought a tear to my eye when they showed his life as a centurion... epic stuff.

DF118
12-02-2011, 10:57 PM

Go watch Remembrance of the Daleks. Basically Sylvester McCoy's 7th Doctor taking on the Daleks during (what would later be retconned as) the Time War- it brilliant and twisted and manipulative.

sheepdean
12-03-2011, 06:29 AM
You have to remember: without the decades of preceding awesome entertainment, the current show would not exist. The classic ones are brilliant, and whilst obviously they don't have the feature film budget in terms of special effects, every actor gives it 100%, and it can still be as scary and moving as anything from the modern ones.

And hey, if nothing else: it makes you understand the plot WAY better.

Go watch Remembrance of the Daleks. Basically Sylvester McCoy's 7th Doctor taking on the Daleks during (what would later be retconned as) the Time War- it brilliant and twisted and manipulative.
The time war was officially retconned to start with Genesis of the Daleks (also my favourite episode), and the idea seems to be that the war was fought since then, the culmination of it being between the TV movie and nuWho

Jadezuki
12-03-2011, 12:32 PM
When I first cut my hair super-short, one of the first things I wondered was if I could pull off dressing up as Tegan.

DF118
12-03-2011, 12:54 PM
The time war was officially retconned to start with Genesis of the Daleks (also my favourite episode), and the idea seems to be that the war was fought since then, the culmination of it being between the TV movie and nuWho

Genesis is excellent because it's daring- had the botched the origins story they'd have demystified the monster. The "Do I have the right?" speech is the Doctor's self-doubt at it's best. In Remembrance though, he really fucks them up. This was the 7th doctor through and through. Behind the bumbling exterior he really was a ruthless bastard. This is why Sylvester McCoy is my favorite of the old series doctors. Sure, the writing at the time might have suffered a little from attempts at being been on-the-nose political (Happiness Patrol) or outright secular (Ghost Light). But there was so much potential for the idea that the Doctor was something "other" than a time lord during this time. The Davros bait and switch is a masterstroke too.

Speaking of, was that an Omega symbol worn on a patch on River Song's arm, at the end of "The Wedding of..."? I'm pretty sure that was a massive hint as to where we're going now...

When I first cut my hair super-short, one of the first things I wondered was if I could pull off dressing up as Tegan.

Logopolis is brilliant too. Her introduction to the series was so damn cheesy though.

sheepdean
12-03-2011, 01:06 PM
And a modified Omega symbol was worn by the soldiers in the really awful Weeping Angels episode about a forest or some shit.

That should be its canonical name.

pequena
12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Eccleston was my first Doctor. I was told to start nuWho (hehe, I like that) by watching specific, earlier Moffat episodes and then going straight to season 5 and then going back to seasons 1 through 4 at my own leisure. But then one of my employees was like "NO WATCH FROM THE BEGINNING HERE'S THE DVDS" so I then went at started at the beginning. However, I DID watch the Moffat episodes first, so I watched the library and weeping angels episodes before a full season.

However, my first episode of Doctor Who that I watched start to finish was the Adipose episode sometime 2 years ago on the CBC.

Also, this is cute:
http://scifi.icanhascheezburger.com/2011/12/02/sci-fi-fantasy-doctor-who-cast-members-read-bedtime-stories/

I keep forgetting that David Tennant's accent is nothing like the Doctor's.

sheepdean
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Even weirder: John Barrowman is also Scottish, and when I saw him live, he dropped into his native accent for a bit and it sounds SO odd #offtopic.

Also, I wonder if the Doctor will ever stop by Torchwood? He was on Sarah Jane Adventures (RIP), so it's possible

DF118
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Even weirder: John Barrowman is also Scottish, and when I saw him live, he dropped into his native accent for a bit and it sounds SO odd #offtopic.

Rather hilariously, he's starring in the Pantomime (http://www.johnbarrowman.org/pantomime-20112012.html) in Glasgow this christmas with the Krankies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Krankies).

sheepdean
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I love it when he does panto, I keep meaning to go, but he's always in that weird country to the north

DF118
12-05-2011, 06:40 PM
It's probably best not to, we're currently dealing with a Panda infestation so we have our hands full enough as it is.

sheepdean
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Bamboo flavoured Irn Bru in 5, 4, 3

(who needs to be on topic?)

theimage13
12-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Like many here, I started with 9. And like many, I can't say I'm a big fan of Amy - although among my friends and family that watch, I seem to be the only one. While I do like Matt Smith's Doctor, I think I still enjoyed Tenant more. Eccleston was great, too - maybe even with Matt Smith, which each possessing different strengths. Rose has been my favorite companion though, hands-down. I was really hoping Rita (from The God Complex episode) was going to somehow end up being worked in to take Amy's place...oh well.

Trains
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm a big Who fan. Used to watch my mum's old tapes of the classic show, and then followed the 'new' series from S1E1 to the present. I flat out love what Russell T Davis did with the show, it was pacey, charismatic and unashamedly emotional. Eccles and Tennant both made the character their own and were just so natural at it.

That said, the last two years have felt godawful to me. Am I the only one who despises Moffat's writing? I sort of wish they'd called it quits when Tennant left the show and not cast a new Doctor, maybe let it simmer for a few years before rebooting it all over again and coming at it with a fresh angle. Instead they seem to just draw it on and drag whatever they can from the dregs of what's left of the show, leaving us with forgettable episode after forgettable episode. Which isn't helped by the fact that Moffat's storytelling is so cluttered and confused and about as awe-inspiring as a fanfiction written by a 12 year old. All this bollocks about River Song, the Silence and the Pandora's box thing are so thinly constructed and just seem to come and go. It's like they take the narrative, tell it backwards and then chop up the chapters and cast them into the desert, expecting us to go after the pieces. And the worst part is, the writers think they're so clever, their stories so complex and intelligent. There's nothing wrong with a new direction for the show, but Moffat's taken Doctor Who in an iron fist and clung onto it as if its his to do with what he like.

Ugh, I know what the obvious answer to all this is: 'if you don't like the show, then don't watch it.' Well...I can't argue with that. To me, this Matt Smith-era doesn't seem to bare any comparison to what the show actually was, and the 2005-2009 reboot was everything it should and could have been. Maybe that was enough.

Nappyp
12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I dont mind this new doctor. He is doing what he can...I really like his companions. They, amy and rory, are the best excluding rose. The writing is terrible recently.

The Silence brain wiping monsters could have been so much more than they are.

sheepdean
12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
By the way, for anyone who hasn't seen the classic series and has 200gb of hard drive space, you may want to drop me a PM.

On topic, I wonder if they'll ever bring back Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston for a one-off episode/TV film/Film/Radio Play of their regeneration? It's the only one we don't know the details of after all.

Nappyp
12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_111211_01/Missing_Episodes_Recovered

Lost episodes found

DF118
12-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Amy and Rory are getting written out! (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/8960036/Goodbye-Amy-Pond-Karen-Gillan-to-leave-Dr-Who.html)

sheepdean
12-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Amy and Rory are getting written out! (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/8960036/Goodbye-Amy-Pond-Karen-Gillan-to-leave-Dr-Who.html)
Should've kept Rory =(

DF118
12-17-2011, 08:54 PM
They should make it so that Rory is unveiled to be THE VALEYARD ALL ALONG!

I bet somewhere there's some really bad fan fiction in which that happens.

theimage13
12-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Good. Two seasons of Amy was 1.5 seasons too many, and while I liked Rory, he had this extremely annoying habit of "dying" - but just kidding! - very frequently. Time to move on, Doctor.

theimage13
12-26-2011, 05:20 PM
So...Christmas episode.

Kinda sucked. A lot. And I've never said that about a Who episode before.

marodi
12-31-2011, 06:41 PM
It's New Year's Eve and I'm home. as always (never have been the one to go out to party on NYE). What's a girl to watch on this special night?

Why, the Doctor Who movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116118), of course!

I've been watching it on NYE (or on NYD) almost every year since it first aired in 1996 (I recorded it at the time; still have the tape). The script is godawful but Paul McGann was a splendid Doctor. It makes you wonder what he could have done with the role had this be made into a TV series as it was supposed to be.

sheepdean
12-31-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd kill for a special TV film of the Time War, McGann doing it all then becoming Eccleston

Trains
01-02-2012, 04:55 AM
I'd kill for a special TV film of the Time War, McGann doing it all then becoming Eccleston

I can't tell you how many hours I've lost imagining that sort of thing! Someone told me the other other day that McGann is considered the longest running Doctor because of the 70+ novels about the 8th Doctor. Pretty crazy, I'd love to read some of those.

theimage13
03-13-2012, 06:05 AM
So we may be months away from new episodes, but Season 6 has finally been added to Netflix streaming.

Trains
04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Trailer for the upcoming series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YLb4Z4jU0)

Goldfoot
06-03-2012, 12:10 AM
After seeing a couple random episodes at a friend's back home, and then a good friend online convincing me, I am starting this. I was informed that starting at 2005 is a good idea. I may go back and watch earlier stuff eventually, but at least this way I can discuss it with friends. Starting Rose now.

jmtd
06-03-2012, 04:07 AM
First doctor for me was McCoy, but I was a young-ling and can only vaguely remember. I watched Eccleston's series, and probably all of the following Tenant, then dropped out mostly until Smith, who I think is the best nuWho. I did watch the weeping angels tenant episode but the library is still queued.

I think Amy/Rory are the best companions ever, personally, and the last christmas episodes have been the best of the nuWho xmas ones, simply because the others have just been effects vehicles. Donna was the only redeeming feature of the one she was in.

Massively impressed with Moffat.

Sutekh
06-03-2012, 04:25 AM
I can't tell you how many hours I've lost imagining that sort of thing! Someone told me the other other day that McGann is considered the longest running Doctor because of the 70+ novels about the 8th Doctor. Pretty crazy, I'd love to read some of those.

Some of them are good, some not so. The New Adventures (7th doctor) & Eighth Doctor Adventures are surprisingly adult, very dark. The Human Nature 2-parter is adapted from one of them

orestes
06-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Trailer for the upcoming series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YLb4Z4jU0)

Was that Anthony Head at the beginning?

Trains
06-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Some of them are good, some not so. The New Adventures (7th doctor) & Eighth Doctor Adventures are surprisingly adult, very dark. The Human Nature 2-parter is adapted from one of them

Picked up a few of the Eighth Doctor Adventures cheap (The Eight Doctors, Alien Bodies and The Gallifrey Chronicles); like you say, far more adult-natured and mature. I rather enjoyed that to be honest, a complete move away from the accessibility of the TV show. It's a shame that they're out of print now and mostly forgotten about.

orestes
06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3szf0vY871qena6xo2_500.gif

Goldfoot
06-03-2012, 11:09 PM
I love Rose so much it hurts sometimes.

Edit: So, I'm really liking this show, and I'm flying right through it. Anyway, there's an episode where they encounter a lone Dalek and Rose ends up taking its side, claiming that it's changing. Now I'm onto an episode where this alien child thing is trapping people inside drawings because it's been alone, drifting through space. The Doctor is sympathizing with the alien, but Rose is against what the child is doing. The Dalek fucking killed people, whereas this alien child spore thing doesn't seem to have killed anyone. How is that okay, Rose? And then when everyone is returned from being trapped in the drawings, everyone goes back to where they disappeared from, yet Rose doesn't go to to where the Doctor disappeared and is convinced that somehow he didn't come back. What a stupid episode. It was the first one written by Matthew Graham. Hopefully that is an indication on why it was so shitty, and if that's the case, I hope he hasn't written any more.

Edit2: I just finished Blink and it may be my favorite episode yet. I love Carey Mulligan, and I was delighted to finally see her with long hair. Plus, the episode was exactly my kind of creepy. Love this show.

Goldfoot
06-27-2012, 12:06 AM
I really try to avoid posting twice in a row, but I want to bump this. That said:

I just finished season 6 and I have some serious issues with what went down. My whole post is SPOILERS, but I'm not going to bother tagging it, so if you haven't caught up, stop reading.

In Closing Time, the Doctor stops by to see Craig as he's on "a bit of a farewell tour." This is because he knows, from the episode with The Flesh, that he is going to die on April 22, 2011. In talking to my friend, he explained that apparently after the Doctor parted ways with Amy and Rory (when he gave them the car), he went off and did his own thing for ~200 years. If this is the case, then that alleviates one issue I have, even though they didn't explain this in the show. If this is not the case, and he's only been on his own for a little while, then there's ~200 years missing from his timeline. In conversations with River Song in The Impossible Astronaut, it's established that the Doctor who dies is 1102 years old, while the one they meet after this is 909. I realize the season starts with the Doctor going throughout history and Amy notices a bunch of his exploits, but I wouldn't say this was about ~200 years.

I'm willing to concede that ~200 years happened and they just didn't mention it explicitly, but the way they ended the season is a total cop-out. When River Song manages to not kill him, it completely fucks time, with the only way to reconcile it being physical contact between her and the Doctor. So he manages to trick time by being inside of the Tesselecta? That doesn't make sense because time isn't a sentient being that can be tricked. It also doesn't explain the energy coming out of him. Unless the energy release was only the first time we saw it, but it really seems like they are showing events happen the same as they did in The Impossible Astronaut. Still, the idea of him tricking time or the universe or existence or whathaveyou doesn't sit with me.

Trains
06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Riddle me this: If the Silence needed a Time Lord to kill the Doctor, that's all well and good. But if the Doctor dies by being shot, then why couldn't any old enemy do it? Why did they have to go through all the hassle of kidnapping River Song, training her to be a killer and then setting her upon the Doctor, when actually she doesn't even kill him of her own accord? As she points out in the finale, the spacesuit's mechanisms are locked so that she can't prevent the gun from firing. So if that's the case, then why does she even need to be there?

Sutekh
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
He has 12 regenerations so there will probably be two more, unless he gets fired into the sun or something

Ive been a fan since the 7th doctor and while the last 5 or 6 series have had their moments, i dont really like the approach davies and moffatt take, i prefer the spooky 60s and 70s ones & if i was el presidente it would be time for a reboot. I hate the soapiness, light heartedness etc bah humbug. I think its been patchy since the late 70s

Also the incidental music on new who is awful, old who had some pioneering electronic music that was really unsettling (delia derbyshires inferno score, sea devils score spring to mind), now we have this really intrusive, OTT melodramatic john williams crap

Trains
09-01-2012, 11:39 AM
The new series starts in the UK this evening. Apparently there's going to be lots of Daleks in this one. I really hope this will be good, I'm optimistic for a strong run of episodes.

sheepdean
09-01-2012, 02:55 PM
That single episode was better than any of the previous season. The spoiler twist at the end was kind of obvious solely because he mentioned milk one too many times - if the Doctor HADN'T noticed that, it would've been nice for the audience to have the chance of figuring that out themselves. Very happy that Rory got a major role in this episode too, because Amy sucks.
Overall, I think the whole Dalekboner thing worked solely BECAUSE the Daleks weren't the plot point - they were a Macguffin, something that could've been any other enemy and it would've worked exactly as well. But I'm worried what wiping the Daleks' knowledge of the Doctor will do, hopefully that won't cause any stupid timey wimey bullshit later on.

playwithfire
09-02-2012, 03:00 AM
My name is Oswin Oswald. I fought the Daleks. I am human. Remember me.

Sutekh
09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Load of crap, they hyped it as the return of the classic daleka, and they barely featured at all.

Old school for life

Space Suicide
09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
So...what's so great about this long running TV series?

DF118
09-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Oswin- Daleks subtract love, add anger. Doesn't she seem a bit too angry to you?

Amy- Well somebody's never been to Scotland!

:D

Sutekh
09-02-2012, 01:47 PM
So...what's so great about this long running TV series?

It has a very flexible format and a relaxed attitude towards scientific plausability, the tardis (their ship) can travel anywhere in space or time, so one week it can be the fall of rome, next week they're fighting werewolves alongside queen victoria.

It has a very british feel (quirky characters, odd humour, references to uk culture), lots of dark humour and allegories for social/political issues (usually with a centre left sort of bias, although the writers in the 70s were pretty radical)

The original run (63-89) is in some ways pretty creaky compared to the new ones, but I prefer it.

sheepdean
09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
The show also follows a chain of characters throughout complex stories, the fact that no character is fixed into the series means people can leave when they've had their time, go off and get married and so forth. There's no rigidity as there is with, say, a sitcom where nothing can be changed without focus groups and opinion panels.

Also,
http://gaylondontravel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/john-barrowman-main.jpg

WorzelG
09-03-2012, 11:15 AM

I enjoyed the family of blood 2 parter until the end where the doctor went about putting the family in eternal chains, mirrors, scarecrows etc. My problem first of all was the doctor, not being vengeful and evil would surely just have waited a few minutes for them to die naturally (the doctor knows that immortality is a curse from the Five Doctors and what happens to Borusa) - it was just too cruel for me, even apart from my second issue with it which was that the doctor isn't a superhero - how could he lift chains from a dwarf star in the first place ? He solves problems with brains not brawn, that ending just seemed tacked on for it's 'darkness'

sheepdean
09-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I felt Dinosaurs was wrong on many levels.
First and foremost, the Doctor killed someone. Outright killed, no final chance for their life, no greed in themselves killing them, just murder. That's not the Doctor. Also, Mitchell and Webb, whilst being British comedy staples for this generation, are not very good voice actors, and should not have been given the part. The plot itself didn't carry much weight, with some vague missiles (which I'm sure the TARDIS could stop) threatening a space station that never really felt in peril. The inclusion of Nefertiti and [random explorer man] seems like it is meant for the season finale or something like that, and had no bearing on the plot, and really detracted from the fact a fair amount of time had passed since the last episode. Silurians being mentioned but not truly shown was a true kick in the teeth for fans too, they were a frequent Classic monster, and they've just not had the representation in NuWho.

Also, I noticed Amy acting a LOT like the Doctor, I'm sure this will be revealed in the Weeping Angels episode as some big scary thing, but I really just don't care enough about it. Sadly, I think this would've been a brilliant episode if it was serialised - spread it over a few hours and a few weeks, and you'd have an entertaining, exciting story, but the constraints of NuWho means it was a very poor episode overall.

DF118
09-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't like this habit of the show introducing old friends of the doctor's who we've never heard of before, but we're expected to go along with it like we're all best buddies. It's a bit like going home for christmas to find Uncle Peter sitting at the dinner table and you can't figure out why no one else doesn't know who he is.

jmtd
09-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Was it not a case that either the bounty hunter died or te doctor and co did? Not a hard call even for the doctor. That said he seemed to enjoy it. I think that points to him changing over the series.

themethatyouknow
09-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Was it not a case that either the bounty hunter died or te doctor and co did? Not a hard call even for the doctor. That said he seemed to enjoy it. I think that points to him changing over the series.

he didn't have to leave the guy on the ship. The doctor could've teleported him back with him and still ejected the ship into space to be hit by the missiles and saved the dinosaur ship.

I only go back to the restart with Doctor 9 and Rose, but I think sheepdean's right. The Doctor shouldn't be killing people. He should be giving them a chance and letting them ruin themselves. It may not make much of a difference in most cases, but it's what makes the Doctor who he is, and separates him from us humans.

themethatyouknow
09-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Well, I guess the writers knew what they were doing after all. They addressed the changes in the Doctor and brought him back to his old self. It'll be interesting to see if that was just a quick 2 episode ark, or if there's something more to it.

sheepdean
09-15-2012, 10:33 PM
I still think there'll be an Amy/Doctor reversal, to explain the dramatic mood changes in them. The episode was better than I expected, but Rory being put int the backseat AGAIN was annoying

orestes
09-16-2012, 11:29 AM
"He's called Susan and he wants you to respect his life choices."

sheepdean
09-16-2012, 01:37 PM
I kinda felt the horse moment was fan pandering, have a trans* human would be too much for the fairly sexist Moffat to handle, but he could let that slide. Not to mentioned apparent pronoun confusion, unless we are to assume the horse chooses male pronouns. Which is a bit too deep to go.

orestes
09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
What, you didn't think the Doctor "speaking" horse was silly enough? ;)

I have to say, I'm rather enjoying Matt Smith's gleeful moments right now because you just know shit will go horribly wrong before long.

DF118
09-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Is it just me or do the three lead actors seem to have aged 10 years in the past 3? I'm thinking they get paid in cocaine and cigarettes.

orestes
09-16-2012, 10:55 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ykbw3oax5k7gif/original.gif

eversonpoe
09-16-2012, 11:49 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ykbw3oax5k7gif/original.gif

are there a Doctor/Rory shippers out there (besides me...?) hahahahahaha

eversonpoe
09-16-2012, 11:58 PM
also, BEN FUCKING BROWDER! sorry, i'm watching saturday's episode right now, and i started jumping up and down when he showed up as the sheriff...

sheepdean
09-17-2012, 05:22 AM
are there a Doctor/Rory shippers out there (besides me...?) hahahahahaha
There are shippers for everything.

Except Doctor/River, because that pairing sucks, even if it is canon

eversonpoe
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
There are shippers for everything.

Except Doctor/River, because that pairing sucks, even if it is canon

i definitely liked it better when river was trying to kill the doctor...it was more fun!

playwithfire
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Is it just me or do the three lead actors seem to have aged 10 years in the past 3? I'm thinking they get paid in cocaine and cigarettes.
It's intentional. The Ponds are in their 30's now. Rory mentioned being 31 in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

sheepdean
09-17-2012, 09:09 AM
It's intentional. The Ponds are in their 30's now. Rory mentioned being 31 in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
Yeah, if you take into account all the time they spent with the Doctor, they have aged a few years (canonically, they're born in 1989)

DF118
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM

I knew that.

I did though!

Did anyone catch the Doctor's reference to The Master in this episode? Odd given Amy-Rory hasn't met him.

sheepdean
09-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Fuck The Master, bring back the Meddling Monk #ILiveInThe60s

sheepdean
09-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure what the point of that episode was, but it was enjoyable. Except the last line was ridiculous and I wanted to stab whoever wrote it.

DF118
09-23-2012, 02:48 PM
How come after Amy shocked him he didn't fall into a coma before regenerating days later as an amnesia suffering half human Paul Mcgann?

sheepdean
09-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Better question: why didn't the defribulator stop his other heart? I mean, we can accept the TV-land idea that one can restart a stopped heart (it can't), but the idea that it wouldn't stop the other one just as easily? Sci-fi shows need more of the sci sometimes

themethatyouknow
09-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Well assuming his bad heart was in cardiac arrest and not completely dead, the defibrillator would have stopped both of his hearts like it's designed to do to the bad one. If he was really lucky they both would have reset and started back up again. It's pretty unlikely that a single charge would work so well on two hearts in totally different conditions, but it is within the realm of suspend-your-disbelief-for-television possibility.

A question for the old school fans. What was the back story on the woman (Stewart I think her name was) whose father apparently knew the doctor?

orestes
09-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Her father was The Brigadier.

sheepdean
09-23-2012, 05:39 PM
The Brigadier was a high ranking member of UNIT who shared many adventures with the Third and Fourth Doctors, and appeared thorughout the series too. That moment in The Wedding of River Song, where a nurse informs the Doctor that someone has died? That was the Brigadier, and related to the fact the actor had sadly passed away before he could be brought into the new series (although he WAS in the Sarah Jane adventures).

eversonpoe
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
just signed up for Amazon Prime and found out that they have all of the Sarah Jane Adventures in their library of free-for-Prime-members streaming programs. woo!

Sutekh
09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Brigadier had the funniest line in the whole series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqK6LnXmK0k

orestes
09-24-2012, 05:31 PM
​Wowwwwwwwww.

sheepdean
09-30-2012, 07:47 AM
The most predictable, mundane, unemotional story I've ever seen for Doctor Who. I mean, at least Amy has left now, but every single play I saw coming a mile off.

WorzelG
09-30-2012, 08:12 AM
We saw an advert for a recent Dr Who and my husband just said 'that's Hellraiser'. they do have this habit of borrowing from other sci-fi / horror themes, like Planet of the Dead was the Langoliers but with a less interesting explanation. The weeping Angels are definitely the most interesting concept in years in my opinion

orestes
09-30-2012, 10:38 AM
I liked the episode up until the very last scene. The afterword scene was a safe ending after putting everyone through the ringer, emotionally.

ibanez33
10-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Trying not to read this thread right now but had to pop in to say HOLY GOD DAMN. I never really payed any attention to this show and kind of wrote it off as weird nerdy sci-fi stuff until about a week ago. Since then I've managed to get through 4 and a half of the new seasons and I'm kind of pissed at myself because A) I put off watching it for so damn long and B) I've seen enough references to it all over the internet that I've spoiled pretty much everything that's happened so far, which wasn't so bad in the first few seasons but the whole mystery behind River Song is totally ruined :(

Question though, does the 11th Doctor ever get really likeable? I thought David Tennant was extraordinary as the 10th Doctor, and so far Matt Smith is good but he just doesn't feel right.

The weeping Angels are definitely the most interesting concept in years in my opinion
"Blink" was one of the most interesting and entertaining TV shows I've seen in a while, it could've easily been fleshed out and made into its own movie.

*EDIT* I'm halfway through the Van Gogh episode, starting to really like Matt Smith now :)

SeeOhDeeWhy
10-14-2012, 10:46 PM
^^^I'm in the same boat. I just started watching Doctor Who over the summer after a friend of mine convinced me. I just finished The End of Time Part 2 and watched the 10th Doctor regenerate. I really don't want to watch Matt Smith as the Doctor, but I'm sure he'll be fine. It's just that I loved David Tennant as the Doctor so much (as I'm sure the majority of fans do.)

The 10th Doctor's last words before regenerating were "I don't want to go." The feels...

ibanez33
10-15-2012, 03:25 AM
The 10th Doctor's last words before regenerating were "I don't want to go." The feels...
I know, man. That was rough.

I'm on board with Smith now, but he definitely took some getting used to. I'm not really a fan of his childishness but after reading through this theory (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/08/not-some-new-man-the-hidden-pattern-behind-the-doctors-regenerations) on regenerations it kind of makes sense, so I'm OK with it.

jmtd
10-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I got really tired of the 10th doctor. He started off great but it all felt too comfortable and samey after a while. His departure really summed that up. Tennant is a great actor and had some excellent moments but Smith was a much needed breath of fresh air IMO.

Edit: re Originality. Who really borrows/steals, as many other great shows have (x files series one?) - what I like about that is it makes some great scifi accessible to people who would otherwise not see it. Example, the impossible planet/Satan pit was a blatant doom and event horizon homage, that my partner, parents, niece etc could enjoy but id never get them to appreciate doom :)

ibanez33
12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Trailer for the new Christmas special, "Snowmen":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3KVpvEUTns

Trains
03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Not long until the second half of series 7 now. The new trailer looks pretty good!

http://youtu.be/SRQu3MvRySA

plusminus
03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Loved that trailer. Discovering details about the new lady friend of the Doctors should be interesting and the new series looks like a ton of fun!

Trains
03-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Well, the first episode of the new series was pretty good. I really like Clara, I already think she's a much stronger companion than the Ponds ever were. And I have absolutely no idea how the 'mystery' surrounding her deaths is going to be resolved. Fingers crossed for a great series, next week's episode looks interesting.

orestes
03-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Clara's mystery will be answered in the season finale, according to Jenna-Louise Coleman.

Also, it was announced yesterday that David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning for the 50th Anniversary special.

sheepdean
03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Can't we just have one companion who isn't the key to saving the universe or whatever. Just someone normal.

orestes
03-31-2013, 08:21 PM
What, like Jo? :p

(Secretly I wish to myself that Clara is Romana.)

ibanez33
04-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Can't we just have one companion who isn't the key to saving the universe or whatever. Just someone normal.

Martha was normal. Yes, she was "the key to saving the universe" but only because she had been around with the Doctor, that could have happened to anybody else.

sheepdean
04-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Martha wasn't human enough, she was TOO good at not dying (come on, surviving on Earth for a year when the Master wants you dead? Most companions can't leave the TARDIS without dying at least twice). Martha was the closest we got but still, Mickey was the only companion (and I use that loosely who wasn't the messiah.

orestes
04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
A bit of a niche episode, what with the Doctor introducing Clara to the wonders of the universe, but boy, did I get a bit teary when he fed all his memories to the parasite.

sheepdean
04-07-2013, 02:28 PM
He mentioned Susan, it could've been the worst episode ever but mentioning her makes it 100% fine with me

theimage13
04-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Oof. I thought Rings was shit. Up there with "Star Whale" in terms of just "...*sigh*...really?" kind of sentiments

I like Clara. A lot. Much, much more than Amy and Rory. Much better than Martha. Much better than Donna. And I'm eager to see where they're going with her. But the episode last night was rough.

Trains
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
^ Agreed on every point, really liking Clara but didn't dig the episode at all. In its defense though, it did look pretty spectacular at times; the rings, the pyramid, all the new alien costumes, the parasite-god-world-thing at the end. It's just the writing which lets this show down sometimes, there was so much set-up and character moments that there just wasn't room for anything to really happen. They should bring back two parter episodes.

Oh, and it was cool that the time war got a shout out. Been a while.

sheepdean
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
They should bring back two parter episodes.
Hell no, bring part 6 parters

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Sutekh has received a momentous bounty

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/544163_10151321338047821_22732341_n.jpg

Trains
04-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Hell no, bring part 6 parters

Having sat through all six episodes The Invasion of Time in one sitting, I'm quite happy for them to relegate the six-parter format to the annals of history. I will never, ever get those hours back...

This week's was far, far better than the Rings episode.

playwithfire
04-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Okay then- That’s what I’ll do. I’ll tell you a story.

Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people whose ancestors devoted themselves, sacrificed themselves, to you. Can you hear them singing?

Oh you like to think that you’re a god. You’re not a god. You’re just a parasite, eaten out with jealousy and envy and longing for the lives of others. You feed on them. On the memory of love and loss and birth and death and joy and sorrow. So…

So… come on then. Take mine. Take my memories. But, I hope you’ve got a big appetite. Because I have lived a long life, and I have seen a few things.

I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe, and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained, no time, no space… just me!

I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman. And I watched universes freeze and creations burn. I have seen things you wouldn’t believe. I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things. Secrets that must never be told. Knowledge that must never be spoken. Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze.

So come on then. Take it! Take it all, baby! Have it! You have it all!

orestes
04-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Name of the series finale revealed. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Name-of-the-Finale)

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Is this the last episode of series seven or forever?

Trains
04-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I think it's just the finale to the current series. There's still the 50th anniversary special to come in November, and I'm pretty sure Steven Moffat's confirmed there'll be a Christmas episode this year. Beyond that, who knows? There's been a couple of rumors about series 8, though I'm guessing we'll have to wait at least another year after the 50th for it to come around. They've still got a lot of unanswered questions to address: the 'first question', the fields of Trenlore (or whatever it was called) and the whole Silence will fall arc. Whenever Matt Smith gets asked how long he intends to stay with the show he gives vague, non-committal answers, so who knows how much longer it will be until they recast for the twelfth Doctor.

As for the Doctor's name being revealed in the finale...well, I'm not too fussed. It isn't something I urgently need to know, but I am pretty curious to see whether they'll pull it off.

ibanez33
04-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Okay then- That’s what I’ll do. I’ll tell you a story.

Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people whose ancestors devoted themselves, sacrificed themselves, to you. Can you hear them singing?

Oh you like to think that you’re a god. You’re not a god. You’re just a parasite, eaten out with jealousy and envy and longing for the lives of others. You feed on them. On the memory of love and loss and birth and death and joy and sorrow. So…

So… come on then. Take mine. Take my memories. But, I hope you’ve got a big appetite. Because I have lived a long life, and I have seen a few things.

I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe, and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained, no time, no space… just me!

I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman. And I watched universes freeze and creations burn. I have seen things you wouldn’t believe. I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things. Secrets that must never be told. Knowledge that must never be spoken. Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze.

So come on then. Take it! Take it all, baby! Have it! You have it all!

http://i.imgur.com/P7cQGFg.jpg

sheepdean
04-20-2013, 11:00 PM
I really, really, really, really hope that the Doctor's name isn't revealed. Ever.

playwithfire
04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/P7cQGFg.jpg

You just couldn't leaf it alone, could yew. :(

theimage13
04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Liked the last episode.

Did not like the reference to things sounding like the devil knocking, then going to bed in an empty house and waking up to knocking sounds I'd never heard before.

Sutekh
04-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Name of the series finale revealed. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Name-of-the-Finale)

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Is this the last episode of series seven or forever?

Big rule of Doctor Who - if the episode title is slightly too dramatic, that means it probably doesn't accurately reflect the plot or outcome of the story, ie resurrection of the daleks (the daleks are not dead and are never resurrected in any way), day of the daleks (they lose), city of death (some of it is set in a city I guess, but not that many people die), the death of doctor who (he doesn't die), or remembrance of the daleks (???), and so on

I honestly have a life :D

sheepdean
04-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Did not like the reference to things sounding like the devil knocking, then going to bed in an empty house and waking up to knocking sounds I'd never heard before.
Try being 6 years old and watching Tomb of the Cybermen before going to bed

theimage13
04-23-2013, 06:00 AM
Try being 6 years old and watching Tomb of the Cybermen before going to bed

Yeah...no thanks.

theimage13
04-30-2013, 07:50 PM
So...Journey to the Center of the TARDIS. Thoughts?

Trains
05-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Thought it was excellent! Lots of little fan-pleasing tibids and nods to old stories. I thought it was good to finally see the library and swimming pool, and there a couple of nice little nods to the 1996 TV movie -- the Eye of Harmony, obviously, as well as the Gothic architecture in one of the rooms. The 'energy circuit tree' looked fantastic, and the Time War book was pretty intriguing. I thought the story held up pretty well too; Fringe it was not, but it was the first episode of Who that required me to use my brain in a very long time.

Criticisms? Too much time spent wandering through the same corridor, weak acting from the three brothers, and maybe a slightly duff ending. But still, the best episode of series 7 so far, and potentially my favorite Who story since 2010.

Also, am I the only one who thought that when Clara scanned through the Time War book and said 'so that's who', she was referring to the Daleks?

ibanez33
05-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Also, am I the only one who thought that when Clara scanned through the Time War book and said 'so that's who', she was referring to the Daleks?

Never thought of that. I thought it was Moffat making another little joke, more like "so that's Who (wink wink nudge nudge)". He's been poking at calling him Who all season long, and now we know we're going to find out the Doctors actual name in the finale with the whole "Silence will fall when the question is answered" thing.

theimage13
05-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Never thought of that. I thought it was Moffat making another little joke, more like "so that's Who (wink wink nudge nudge)". He's been poking at calling him Who all season long, and now we know we're going to find out the Doctors actual name in the finale with the whole "Silence will fall when the question is answered" thing.

That's what I thought, too. To me, that was obvious - so if I'm wrong, well done Moffatt.

On the whole, I liked this episode. Loved the different sets, although I can agree about maybe spending too much time in the same corridor. And I thought he got rid of the swimming pool?

Yeah, brothers' acting wasn't all that great. But Smith seemed to be in pretty good form in this one. And the creatures kind of creeped me out a bit, which is always a plus.

orestes
05-01-2013, 06:38 AM
The Pond room. :(

Trains
05-01-2013, 07:16 AM
That's what I thought, too. To me, that was obvious - so if I'm wrong, well done Moffatt.

Probably me reading too much into things, I tend to do that with Who. I am curious about his name though, I wonder if it'll be something Gallifreyan (like Romana or Rassilon) or an English name. And if they're going to give us the answer to the Clara mystery as well as the Doctor's secret in one episode, surely the two things must be linked right? My 2 cents: what if they're two parts of the same entity, like a yin-yang or something, with Clara being the light to complement the Doctor's darkness? Or maybe all his companions are actually the same person, and perhaps all the female companions in the show's history have always been Susan, just different regenerations of her, and somehow they both forgot?

Nah, that all sounded pretty rubbish...:p

orestes
05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Maybe it's just projecting but someone on tumblr pointed out that Clara and the Doctor's daughter are sitting in the same black pilot chair.

Oh, here it is: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/04/doctor-who-clara-mystery-solved

WorzelG
05-01-2013, 02:06 PM
What's all this doctors name stuff? I just spoke to my uber-Who dweeb husband who said in The Armageddon Factor episode you found out the doctor was called Theet Sigma (no idea how to spell it) at the Time Lord academy - whether they've included this in the current series I don't know

DF118
05-01-2013, 02:16 PM
What's all this doctors name stuff? I just spoke to my uber-Who dweeb husband who said in The Armageddon Factor episode you found out the doctor was called Theet Sigma (no idea how to spell it) at the Time Lord academy - whether they've included this in the current series I don't know

Yep, River Song wrote it on a cliff face at the beginning of The Pandorica Opens.

WorzelG
05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Yep, River Song wrote it on a cliff face at the beginning of The Pandorica Opens.

Thanks for that - I just researched it myself on wiki and found Theta Sigma was a nickname, so they have accounted for it. I've not been paying attention!

sheepdean
05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Theta Sigma has varied between being a nickname and being his real name for a while, but I think the new canon has stated it firmly as a nickname.

I'm hoping against hope that his name will be said but not HEARD, that is, the viewers won't hear it. Fuck, in the early episodes, the end credits listed him as "Doctor Who", that WAS his name.

Also, this is good reading for people who are interested but haven't seen much outside of the new stuff http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Aliases_of_the_Doctor

(also: John Smith is totally a contender due to a lapse in canon - the alias was originally given to him by companion/lover Jamie in his SECOND incarnation, but in the Vampires of Venice, there's a library card shown on screen with "Dr J Smith" and a picture of his FIRST incarnation. Probably continuity error, possible Moffat overarching nonsense).

edit: that got me thinking so I wrote a thing about it http://sheepdean.com/post/49379388041/i-think-the-doctors-name-is-john-smith

theimage13
05-01-2013, 05:09 PM
I wonder if Clara could actually be The Doctor...just the product some uber-bizarre timey-wimey mixup thing. I know...99.99% chance unlikely.

But then again, I called (spoiler: Amy being pregnant with River) during the first episode of Season 6.

sheepdean
05-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm assuming Clara is human, it'd be a pointless dick move to constantly reaffirm that she is otherwise.

Of course, I'm also totally down for her being Susan but using the magic watch thing that I hate SO MUCH as a plot mechanism, because I just love Susan

DF118
05-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Clara is quite obviously THE RANI.

orestes
05-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Great episode thanks in part to Diana Rigg. Loved the little nod to Monty Python!

Also, the Doctor and Mrs. Smith.

sheepdean
05-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Rigg senior's character choices made like, no sense?

The reference to Tegan was nice though. Generally good episode, though I did get the feeling it was made primarily so the Doctor could say "There's trouble at t'mill".

orestes
05-05-2013, 04:33 PM
What kind of trouble?

sheepdean
05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
One o'crossbeams gon' ou'skew on'tredle

DF118
05-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Diana Rigg isn't nearly as hot as she used to be.

thevoid99
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Diana Rigg isn't nearly as hot as she used to be.

That didn't stop Daniel Radcliffe from hitting on her in Extras.

orestes
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't know if it's because of the children, seriously stfu Angie, but that was a meh episode. The back and forth between the Doctor and the Cyberman was disengaging. I did like the callback to Elizabeth X, though.

The sneak preview for next week's episode looks great!

sheepdean
05-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Fast cybermen are ugh. They're scary because they don't go fast, just never stop until they reach you. Also, the kids were only there for being a bargaining chip and to reveal Porridge was the emperor WHICH WAS OBVIOUS ANYWAY. Not a bad episode but would've been 100x better without the kids and the deus ex machina.

The web-only preview of the next episode throws loads of extra speculation out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtaIpkjF6Ss

orestes
05-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Fast Cybermen gave me flashbacks to flying Daleks. The pivoting head was cool, though.

Is it just me or has this season been hit and miss?

sheepdean
05-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Flying Daleks started in Classic Who though, and whilst fans didn't like it, it was well established canon.

Do you mean this half of the season, or just the season generally? I thought the pre-xmas episodes weren't too bad, esp Asylum of the Daleks

orestes
05-12-2013, 03:30 PM
This half of the season.

sheepdean
05-18-2013, 03:31 PM
FEELINGS COPYPASTED FROM MY TUMBLR
Obviously, spoilers

They actually made the clara thing make sense which is awesome
So happy for john hurt being in it
SO FUCKING HAPPY FoR WILLIAM HARTNELL GETTING SIGNIFICANT SCREEN TIME
so much classic who references asdfdsgdhj
I AM VERY HAPPY WE DID NOT FIND HIS NAME
jenny is still awesome
strax being evil made me sad
yay that the kids weren’t in it
evil faced men were scary
taaardiiiiis
WHAT IF SUSAN COMES BACK, WE’VE SEEN HER PROPERLY NOW
ahhh idk, but easily the best episode of this season

JOHN HURT IS THE BEST ACTOR EVER

gorast
05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
FEELINGS COPYPASTED FROM MY TUMBLR
Obviously, spoilers

They actually made the clara thing make sense which is awesome
So happy for john hurt being in it
SO FUCKING HAPPY FoR WILLIAM HARTNELL GETTING SIGNIFICANT SCREEN TIME
so much classic who references asdfdsgdhj
I AM VERY HAPPY WE DID NOT FIND HIS NAME
jenny is still awesome
strax being evil made me sad
yay that the kids weren’t in it
evil faced men were scary
taaardiiiiis
WHAT IF SUSAN COMES BACK, WE’VE SEEN HER PROPERLY NOW
ahhh idk, but easily the best episode of this season

JOHN HURT IS THE BEST ACTOR EVER
My absolute favorite parts of that episode were the scenes with the classic Doctors, and Clara taking the place of various companions (that's what the scenes were implying, right?)

Especially the end scene where she shows up and tells him which TARDIS to take. Golden.

sheepdean
05-18-2013, 05:20 PM
She wasn't taking the part of the previous companions, just lurking about and guiding him

Also, iirc, that's the first time we've seen the TARDIS in its natural form

gorast
05-18-2013, 05:25 PM
She wasn't taking the part of the previous companions, just lurking about and guiding him

Also, iirc, that's the first time we've seen the TARDIS in its natural form
Ah, alright. The outfits just reminded me of screenshots and clips I've seen. My mistake.

orestes
05-18-2013, 07:11 PM
OMG best episode of the season by far and definitely one the best episodes. The opening scene alone made me pick up my brain off the floor.

Susan!
William Hartnell!
River Song & the Doctor feels!

I knew that John Hurt was going to be in the 50th Anniversary special but I was not expecting him to be revealed at the end. I literally leapt off the couch when they showed his credit.

This gif sums things up: http://media.tumblr.com/8d5fc3df403752cd4bdfb169b0c076e3/tumblr_inline_mn0efshb7d1qz4rgp.gif

sheepdean
05-18-2013, 08:07 PM
If susan returns i will literally explode

literally.

orestes
05-18-2013, 09:24 PM
So the show won't return until the anniversary special, right?

sheepdean
05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Yeah, until 23/11/13 all we've got is re-runs. Oh for the days when it twice a week

Trains
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Damn, that was pretty great. Hands down the best series finale for years, though it did remind me of an old spin-off book called Interference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference:_Book_One). I was really impressed by that episode. That ending! Man, it made me realise how much I've been missing cliffhangers in Doctor Who.

First off, am I getting this right? John Hurt is an incarnation of the Doctor we have never seen before, either from before the First Doctor or somewhere along the line in between all the regenerations that we do know? Or is he a future version of the Doctor who committed the atrocities that the Great Intelligence was talking about (slaughtering ten million on Trenzalore, or something like that?). Or was it not meant to be clear yet?

Loved the flashback sequences with the old Doctors, I thought they did that really well, and I loved that the Valeyard got a mention! I was pretty disappointed I didn't see Paul McGann anywhere both times I watched the episode. Anyone else spot him? Loved seeing Susan and First taking the Tardis from Gallifrey, especially as we've never seen a Tardis in its default appearance before. The Clara resolution was well done too, much simpler to how I expected.

The only thing I didn't quite like? Not 100% sure I like the idea of the Doctor dying as a war tyrant in the middle of a battlefield on some apocalyptic planet in the future. I prefer it when he's just the classical, romantic traveler journeying through time and space in pursuit of fun. Don't get me wrong, I love it when it gets slightly darker, but that's taking things a bit far IMO.

gorast
05-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Damn, that was pretty great. Hands down the best series finale for years, though it did remind me of an old spin-off book called Interference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference:_Book_One). I was really impressed by that episode. That ending! Man, it made me realise how much I've been missing cliffhangers in Doctor Who.

First off, am I getting this right? John Hurt is an incarnation of the Doctor we have never seen before, either from before the First Doctor or somewhere along the line in between all the regenerations that we do know? Or is he a future version of the Doctor who committed the atrocities that the Great Intelligence was talking about (slaughtering ten million on Trenzalore, or something like that?). Or was it not meant to be clear yet?

Loved the flashback sequences with the old Doctors, I thought they did that really well, and I loved that the Valeyard got a mention! I was pretty disappointed I didn't see Paul McGann anywhere both times I watched the episode. Anyone else spot him? Loved seeing Susan and First taking the Tardis from Gallifrey, especially as we've never seen a Tardis in its default appearance before. The Clara resolution was well done too, much simpler to how I expected.

The only thing I didn't quite like? Not 100% sure I like the idea of the Doctor dying as a war tyrant in the middle of a battlefield on some apocalyptic planet in the future. I prefer it when he's just the classical, romantic traveler journeying through time and space in pursuit of fun. Don't get me wrong, I love it when it gets slightly darker, but that's taking things a bit far IMO.
I think the implication of the episode was that the Doctor's death on Trenzalore was supposed to happen in that episode, which was averted by Clara (see - the crack in the TARDIS's window that they made a point of showing, and that very same crack visible on the full-size TARDIS grave).

The rumor mill is saying that John Hurt is playing the actual Ninth Doctor, which the Doctor blocked out of his mind because that Doctor is the one that committed atrocities during the Last Great Time War, hence the 'not in the name of the Doctor' line. That would make Eccleston the tenth, Tennant the eleventh, and so on. Of course, that's just a rumor based on John Hurt saying he's part of a "trinity of sorts" with Tennant and Smith. Another rumor is that he's just Eight at the end of his life, hence why he's so old and has the jacket that Paul McGann started using in promo photos for the non-TV stuff. I don't know how to reconcile that with the whole 'not the Doctor' thing, though - wouldn't he just block out his entire eighth life, or just what Eight did towards the end?

Man that ended up being longer than I thought it would be.

orestes
05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
So Doctor Who was awarded a special Peabody Award yesterday. Picking up some serious Nine vibes from Matt Smith. ;)

http://wpc.4d27.edgecastcdn.net/004D27/2013/Awards/MattSmithJennaLouiseColemanPeabodyAwards2013/Matt+Smith+Jenna+Louise+Coleman+Peabody+Awards+201 3+1.jpg

Also, I realized some of my attraction to Smith was his hair. :/

Trains
05-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I think the implication of the episode was that the Doctor's death on Trenzalore was supposed to happen in that episode, which was averted by Clara (see - the crack in the TARDIS's window that they made a point of showing, and that very same crack visible on the full-size TARDIS grave).

The rumor mill is saying that John Hurt is playing the actual Ninth Doctor, which the Doctor blocked out of his mind because that Doctor is the one that committed atrocities during the Last Great Time War, hence the 'not in the name of the Doctor' line. That would make Eccleston the tenth, Tennant the eleventh, and so on. Of course, that's just a rumor based on John Hurt saying he's part of a "trinity of sorts" with Tennant and Smith. Another rumor is that he's just Eight at the end of his life, hence why he's so old and has the jacket that Paul McGann started using in promo photos for the non-TV stuff. I don't know how to reconcile that with the whole 'not the Doctor' thing, though - wouldn't he just block out his entire eighth life, or just what Eight did towards the end?

Man that ended up being longer than I thought it would be.

That would make a lot of sense, the only room for Hurt's Doctor is between 8 and 9 which is when the Time War is supposed to have happened. And I swear they kept mentioning the War in this series. But to be honest though, I kind of hope they don't just fall back on the Time War again, there was a period where everything seemed to revolve around it. In fact the majority of the 'big episodes' in series 1-4 directly relate to the Time War, so it isn't anything that special tbh. If the Doctor's greatest secret is that he was responsible for terrible things during the War...well then that isn't really much of a secret at all; we've known that since literally the first episode of the 'new' show. I really can't see Moffat wanting to celebrate the 50th by doing a story surrounding the Time War...he didn't even come up with that idea in the first place. I'm guessing there's more to it than that, but we'll see. Either way I'm just happy John Hurt is the Doctor.

Edit: Also, if I write Time War one more time I'm going to start one myself...

sheepdean
05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Spoiler tags are ugly, but here goes:
John Hurt is playing an incarnation of the Doctor that the Doctor has chosen to block out. The first truly is the first, that's well catalogued, so the only Doctors he could be are the ones we didn't see him actually turn into: 3 and 9. Logically, it's not going to be 3 because not THAT much time passed in-universe, so he's got to be 9. Which means, of course, Time War. The reason for the same jacket as 8 is logically to show that he was wearing it when he regenerated.
Also, I wonder if the 50th anniversary special will be on at 17:15, to make it truly 50 years since the first?

ibanez33
05-23-2013, 04:25 AM
I realized some of my attraction to Smith was his hair. :/

Have you seen Tennant without his hair all "Doctor"y? Good god, it's horrible.

Also I saw this today:

http://i.imgur.com/h3dJJuR.jpg

orestes
05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a Tardis-sized hole in my heart so I've started to watch classic episodes until the November return.

"Nightmare of Eden"-- holy hell, what the fuck? Romana's outfit, no no no.

sheepdean
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
I have a Tardis-sized hole in my heart so I've started to watch classic episodes until the November return.

"Nightmare of Eden"-- holy hell, what the fuck?
They've just re-released the Cushing films on Blu Ray if you wanna watch some fanfiction

orestes
05-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Shaaaaada.

I love how nobody really blinked an eye at Skagra's outfit.
http://www.dvdactive.com/images/reviews/screenshot/2012/12/vlcsnap29276.jpg

Trains
05-26-2013, 04:52 AM

"Nightmare of Eden"-- holy hell, what the fuck? Romana's outfit, no no no.

You could always check out Big Finish (http://www.bigfinish.com/hubs/v/doctor-who) in the meantime, they produce original audio stories featuring classic Doctors and companions. They sort of fill the gaps between the classic series, pretty good for the most part. They're a little pricey, but worth checking out. The Eighth Doctor stories in particular are awesome, Paul McGann's voice acting alone makes up for the lack of tv-serials featuring Eight.

orestes
05-26-2013, 11:59 AM
The Shada box set I've been watching comes with a Big Finish version to fill in production gaps.

orestes
06-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Matt Smith leaving after Christmas special. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10093520/Matt-Smith-to-quit-Doctor-Who-after-Christmas-special.html)

I'm genuinely chuffed. :(

gorast
06-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Didn't he say he was doing series 8?

That's some shitty news to come home to. That Christmas special better send him off properly.

Trains
06-02-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm surprisingly gutted about the news. Matt's been consistently brilliant as the Doctor, even though I felt the show took a turn for the worse during series six. Of all the Doctor's, I find him the funniest. I will miss his giddy arm movements, his cowboy-esque strut, his quirky lines and his impossible chin.

WorzelG
06-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm really hoping for Damian Lewis to be the next Doctor, I loved Homeland. I've yet to catch up on most of Matt Smiths episodes, only the first series has been on our BT TV service, I did enjoy most of it though

WorzelG
06-02-2013, 08:33 AM
They've just re-released the Cushing films on Blu Ray if you wanna watch some fanfiction

Those films were utter shite - my little brother went through a phase of watching them all the time, terrible gaudy daleks

orestes
06-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Maybe this will make it um, tolerable. http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/dr-who-and-daleks

Hula
06-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm genuinely chuffed. :(

That sentiment and that emoticon don't go together :P

I'm quite pleased myself that Matt Smith's going. He's the main reason (along with Amy Pond) that I've watched very little of this current incarnation of the Doctor. He just rubbed me up the wrong way and kind of coincided with the shift of the show to whatever it is that the Superwholock idiots love about it.

sheepdean
06-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Emma Thompson for next Doctor, who's with me

SeeOhDeeWhy
06-02-2013, 01:47 PM
The next Doctor better be a fucking ginger.

ibanez33
06-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Didn't he say he was doing series 8?

That's some shitty news to come home to. That Christmas special better send him off properly.

Technically the Christmas specials are the first episodes of each series... I really hope he gets a good send off but I want it to be a happy one, kind of like 9s "You were fantastic, and so was I" moment, not "I don't want to go" and make me cry myself to sleep about it.

orestes
06-02-2013, 08:11 PM
That sentiment and that emoticon don't go together :P

Blimey, you're right. ;)

Sutekh
06-18-2013, 09:10 PM
90 missing episodes may have been found... Been following the missing episode hunt since 1995 and this is the first time I feel compelled to repeat a rumour...!!!

orestes
06-18-2013, 09:24 PM
^ ^ http://io9.com/maybe-those-doctor-who-missing-episodes-rumors-are-true-514194463

Sutekh
06-18-2013, 10:04 PM
I started paying attention when underwater menace episode 2 appeared on youtube a few weeks back! Exciting stuff

I actually can't watch that single existing episode of web of fear... It is so good I end up mourning the missing episodes. Dalek masterplan and web of fear... Hnnnnnnnn

ibanez33
06-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Doctor Who monsters explained by redditors as if they were Hagrid from Harry Potter. (http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeIAmA/comments/1glabe/explain_a_doctor_who_monster_of_your_choice_like/) Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

eversonpoe
06-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Maybe this will make it um, tolerable. http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/dr-who-and-daleks

has anyone else besides me watched this? it was great (i'm a huge rifftrax/mst3k fan). there were two or three points where my fiancee and i had to pause it and go back because we were laughing so hard that we were missing jokes.

Trains
06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Edit: nevermind

Sutekh
06-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Those films were utter shite - my little brother went through a phase of watching them all the time, terrible gaudy daleks

Lol I love them! They're so weird, it's like willy wonka and the dalek factory, except it's made by amicus (seedy UK horror studio) and has peter cushing so it has a weird hammer-ish streak running through it

also best looking daleks until 2005 IMO... The dalek voices are amazing as well (so much more depth and reverb than the tv ones)

i saw the hd version of invasion earth at a recent cinema screening, fanboy overload

orestes
07-13-2013, 10:30 AM
So this happened.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/955152c5f7409bd682d9b45d9e0401f8/tumblr_mpvg37z01J1rk3vsdo1_500.jpg

eversonpoe
07-13-2013, 02:54 PM
it looks like there's something in the middle of his bow tie...

sheepdean
07-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Rumour hath it that new Doctor is announced today

My money is on it being Steven Moffat as he completes the cycle of masturbation he's been doing the past few years

orestes
07-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Well, the BBC Prom is going on today and so far, I've seen photos of the Fifth Doctor and Susan on twitter.

Trains
07-22-2013, 05:43 AM
Daleks confirmed for the 50th anniversary special (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23398212)

There's a trailer being shown at the San Diego Comic-Con, but I read that it won't be uploaded to the web for some time.

sheepdean
07-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Wow, Daleks on the 50th, no one expected that :P

Sutekh
07-22-2013, 10:35 AM
The tenth planet cybermen in the upcoming drama about 1963 look LUSH (not sure exactly how they fit in seeing as they don't turn up til '66)

orestes
07-29-2013, 09:54 AM
50th Anniversary special airing at same time worldwide. (http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3667802)

GibbonBlack
07-30-2013, 07:49 AM
50th Anniversary special airing at same time worldwide. (http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3667802)

I'm having a viewing in my little cinema that I've made. Full HD, 3D, 9ft screen, and DTS [though I imagine it won't be broadcast in DTS]. Though I don't have a TV license so I'll be the only Doctor Who fan that has to wait for an hour or so. I'm not expecting the 3D to be great either. They'll probably just throw things at you throughout the whole episode.

sheepdean
07-30-2013, 09:43 AM
That has got to SUCK for west coast US and Australian fans

Kid Charlemagne
08-04-2013, 01:36 PM
I watch this show on and off, but I'm in with Peter Capaldi. I hope to God he brings some of the Malcolm Tucker grit to the character. Excellent choice.

theimage13
08-04-2013, 01:40 PM

Doesn't matter one bit to me - I don't have cable, so I have to get it after the airing anyway. During the regular seasons, I wait until night to watch it anyway, so I just stay off of social media for a few hours. Not the end of the world.

sheepdean
08-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Peter Capaldi is one of the best actors out there, this is fantastic

Sutekh
08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Great choice. But please god get rid of murray gold, he has been on doctor who as long as tom baker, how depressing is that

DF118
08-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Great choice. But please god get rid of murray gold, he has been on doctor who as long as tom baker, how depressing is that

Another Scottish doctor. Awesome.

An older doctor will really playing havoc with the BBC's target-audience-mogriphier machines.

sheepdean
08-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Another Scottish doctor. Awesome.

An older doctor will really playing havoc with the BBC's target-audience-mogriphier machines.
Older? Try OLDEST. He'll be older than Hartnell was when he started by xmas.

ibanez33
08-04-2013, 03:22 PM

I'm west coast Canada and it works perfectly for me.

jmtd
08-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I'd have preferred Olivia Coleman but I'm pleased it's a senior person.

orestes
08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Scotland for the win!

sheepdean
08-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Scotland for the win!
3rd Scottish Doctor, and still no Irish. Maybe Gallifrey really ISN'T in Ireland?

jmtd
08-04-2013, 05:04 PM
It's in Wales half the time.

Trains
08-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm a bit late to the game, but man am I chuffed that they decided to cast Peter Capaldi as Doctor number 12. I can see him being excellent in the role, and a real change from Matt Smith (even though I do love him and will miss his energy, physicality etc).

Also, are we ever going to see the trailer for the 50th? Those who attended Comic Con this year got a screening of it.

theimage13
08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
He'll be older than Hartnell was when he started by xmas.

So he's not older now?

;)

Sutekh
08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
It's in Wales half the time.

Cardiff is to new who what quarries were to the old series

sheepdean
08-08-2013, 10:40 AM
So he's not older now?

;)
That is correct.

theimage13
08-08-2013, 11:44 AM
That is correct.

Man. Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff is confusing.

orestes
09-10-2013, 07:07 PM
The title of the anniversary special has been announced: The Day of the Doctor.

ibanez33
09-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Promo Poster

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1275385_10153210241425389_1566111558_o.jpg

_minus
09-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Pictures from the filming of the Christmas Special be found here: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/first-xmas-filming-pics-smith-in-the-wig-53043.htm

Notable observations:
- Excellent wig!
- They changed the TARDIS to a brighter blue and the windows are back to a Fourth Doctor-ish pattern.
- Jenna is unbelievably short.
- And Matt is having a hard time not looking at her ass.
- Prediction: Eleven chokes on a turkey leg and regenerates.

Sutekh
09-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I imagine he'll sacrifice his life to save her, zzzzzzzzzz

Bring on the Tenth Planet DVD, the Doctor announcing he was feeling a bit knackered before keeling over and regenerating was a lot cooler :D
http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/10th-planet-dvd.jpg

gorast
09-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Jenna Coleman is absolutely adorable. Can't wait for the end of the year specials.

Trains
09-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Wooow that poster is fantastic, really looking forward to this. Anybody else spot the Bad Wolf graffiti in there?

And also...

Jenna Coleman is absolutely adorable.

I couldn't agree more. I would marry her in an instant and happily eat souffle for the rest of my life.

orestes
09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
(She's dating Richard Madden.)

Anyone notice the red sonic screwdriver John Hurt is carrying?

Trains
09-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Nice spot! I didn't see that at all.

I'm taking it from all the exploding Daleks that at least some of the special will indeed be set in the Time War. Maybe we'll get to see Paul McGann regenerate into John Hurt?

Eh, I'd still marry her. It's not like Rob Stark's exactly around to put up a fight anymore[/lame nerdy joke]

sheepdean
09-12-2013, 02:48 PM
I have a friend who's father is working on it and Christ it is taking all my strength to not seek out spoilers

DF118
09-12-2013, 03:55 PM
So the 12th Doctor's a Glaswegian. Just like me.

Yeah, that's right.

DF118
09-12-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm from GALLIFREY.

sheepdean
09-12-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm from GALLIFREY.
Isn't that in Ireland

eversonpoe
09-12-2013, 04:21 PM
my friend reblogged this on tumblr and i couldn't help but feel it was pretty accurate (i'm a fan of all of these things)

Supernatural fandom: So yeah, we got a five minute promo, several interviews, couple of deleted scenes and a title card. No biggie.
Doctor Who fandom: Poster! Poster! Poster! Fiftieth! Poster! Anniversary!
Supernatural: Hey, anything from Sherlock lately?
Sherlock: *snaps* We're currently going through the fifty second promo to find out exactly where John was eating when Sherlock entered the room and who did Sherlock's hair. Quiet.
Doctor Who: Sorry, man. Hope you get series three soon.
Supernatural: Hey, what's that sound?
*room starts to rumble*
Doctor Who: Is that...
Supernatural: No. It's...it's not possible.
Sherlock: *looks up* Wait, you don't think...?
Harry Potter fandom: *breaks through ground brandishing wands* ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!

DF118
09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Isn't that in Ireland

:(

gallifray though

orestes
09-12-2013, 07:11 PM
my friend reblogged this on tumblr and i couldn't help but feel it was pretty accurate (i'm a fan of all of these things)

Ugh, I hate SuperWhoLock.

eversonpoe
09-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Ugh, I hate SuperWhoLock.

well, normally i don't ever delve into fan-fiction or crossovers or any of that hufflepuff (see what i did there?), i just thought this was pretty funny.

ibanez33
09-12-2013, 11:10 PM
What does Supernatural have to do with either of those shows? I get the WhoLock thing because Moffat is running them both, but he's not doing Supernatural too, is he?

eversonpoe
09-13-2013, 07:55 AM
What does Supernatural have to do with either of those shows? I get the WhoLock thing because Moffat is running them both, but he's not doing Supernatural too, is he?

there have been a few actor cross-overs (mark a. sheppard, in particular), but it's mostly that a lot of people are just as obsessive about all them.

Trains
09-30-2013, 12:14 PM
New interview with Steven Moffat.

http://youtu.be/JeCM7LiThEs

Nothing new really, but this is probably the most nerdtastic interview I've seen in a long time.

GulDukat
10-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Huge fan of old-school DW (first four Doctors were by far the best) and have met a few of them (Pertwee, Baker, Davidson, McCoy). Not really into Nu-Who but am glad that the series was brought back from the dead for a new generation of fans. When I was a kid no one had heard of DW--unless you watched PBS. Huge bummer that most of the Patrick Troughton episodes are lost, I'd love to see those.

theimage13
10-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Just watched the first series of The Thick of It.

I can't wait to see Capaldi's Doctor now.

GulDukat
10-01-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm glad that they went for an older actor--Dr. Who should not be played by someone who looks like they are in the Libertines.

theimage13
10-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Nine missing episodes of 1960s Doctor Who have been found at a TV station in Nigeria, including most of the classic story The Web of Fear.

BBC article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337)

DF118
10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Nine missing episodes of 1960s Doctor Who have been found at a TV station in Nigeria, including most of the classic story The Web of Fear.

BBC article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337)

Completely, completely confirmed? Awesome!

Here's hoping Web of Fear doesn't turn out to be total cack.

theimage13
10-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Completely, completely confirmed? Awesome!

Here's hoping Web of Fear doesn't turn out to be total cack.

Well, sort of (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/doctor-who-the-web-of-fear/id704945256) confirmed...

;)

Sutekh
10-12-2013, 10:35 AM
The first episode of web was so good it was actually painful to watch (knowing the rest are gone)

thank fuck I didn't buy the audio!

DF118
10-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Well, sort of (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/doctor-who-the-web-of-fear/id704945256) confirmed...

;)

I wont believe it until it's on Netflix.

theimage13
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
I wont believe it until it's on Netflix.

Wait...so the fact that you can purchase it for immediate download from one of, if not the, largest digital content providers isn't proof enough? Or is there a joke I'm missing?

DF118
10-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Wait...so the fact that you can purchase it for immediate download from one of, if not the, largest digital content providers isn't proof enough? Or is there a joke I'm missing?

I was just kidding. There'd been unverified rumors about this discovery for ages.

marodi
10-19-2013, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRy2N2CMhQ

I don't see the Eighth Doctor but I think his voice is in the voice over?

Trains
10-20-2013, 07:49 AM
He's between the Ood and Billie Piper towards the end, on the left hand side.

Awesome trailer. I'm happy to wait another month with no new footage, I want the next episode to be as big a surprise as possible.

marodi
10-20-2013, 11:17 AM
He's between the Ood and Billie Piper towards the end, on the left hand side.

Awesome trailer. I'm happy to wait another month with no new footage, I want the next episode to be as big a surprise as possible.

Oh yeah, at 0:39!

I've always felt like he's the "we barely remember him" Doctor even though it was him who was a part the Last Great Time War (presumably). And he's my favorite.

gorast
10-20-2013, 12:12 PM
That trailer got me super hyped. One more month.

eversonpoe
10-21-2013, 05:22 PM
why does he say "over 900 years" when he's actually almost 1200 now? that baffled me.

DF118
10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
why does he say "over 900 years" when he's actually almost 1200 now? that baffled me.

My guess is, that while's he's over 1200, he only stole the Tardis 900 years ago. So he spent the first 300 years on Gallifrey.

Either that or it's a Retcon / the trailer takes place earlier in time / or just sounds better than saying "one thousand, two hundred / twelve hundred years".

Trains
10-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Oh yeah, at 0:39!

I've always felt like he's the "we barely remember him" Doctor even though it was him who was a part the Last Great Time War (presumably). And he's my favorite.

I really like him too. He seems the most excitable, enthusiastic and romantic out of the Doctor's personalities. Plus he's easily the best thing about the TV movie. Such a shame they never went any further with him, so much wasted potential. I've listened to a few of the audio adventures featuring Paul McGann, they do kind of make up for it I guess. Still, it's a bummer.

eversonpoe
11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
got my newest tattoo today!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/e42797dc1e4a9b0a0af13ec1f66ca3a1/tumblr_mvt5fdhv5U1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

i won't tell you what it says, but it's a recurring theme in the lyrics of the band Rosetta, and is a concept that means quite a great deal to me.

Trains
11-06-2013, 05:27 AM
^ Nice. Forgive my considerable ignorance, but is it meant to be a Gallifrey/Time Lord symbol like the ones sometimes seen in the Tardis?

Also, got my two tickets booked to see Day of the Doctor in the cinema! Roll on the 23rd.

eversonpoe
11-06-2013, 08:03 AM
^ Nice. Forgive my considerable ignorance, but is it meant to be a Gallifrey/Time Lord symbol like the ones sometimes seen in the Tardis?

thanks! and yeah, that's the language of the time lords (gallifreyan). every main circle can represent a single word or a whole phrase, and each one on the inside of the tardis says something different.

mine is three words together as one phrase.

sheepdean
11-06-2013, 09:56 AM
I have no desire to see it in the cinema, am I weird? I just think DW should be on TV