PDA

View Full Version : Is Godspeed any good?

ninsp
10-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I LOVE Godspeed. I mean one of my favorite bands. From Godspeed fans, how was the performance?

brokenfragility
10-21-2013, 04:52 PM
I am interested as well, do they play anything besides the new album? (which I don't really like all that much) Lift Your Skinny Fists and F#A# is my shit

joplinpicasso
10-21-2013, 05:07 PM
They've been great. I've heard fans in both NJ and PA moan about their forthcoming set, but it seems many are won over by the visuals and the band's general non-pretentious attitude while performing. I'm a relatively new fan of GY!BE, and they've been top-notch. First show, they did Mladic + Their Helicopters' Sing + East Hastings, I think. Second show, it was slower, heavier stuff, most likely from Skinny Fists, with which I'm least familiar (I know...I know...). Certain fans still scoffed after the sets but honestly they made my ticket purchases all the more valuable.

(I'm also posting to say that I stayed away from ETS roughly immediately after the festival circuit was over. The quirks of these NIN shows were absolutely pleasant surprises!)

frankie teardrop
10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
i've been a fan of theirs for about 12 years and have never had the chance to see them live until this tour (what, with the long hiatus). i enjoyed their sets IMMENSELY, even though i agree with others who have said they'd sound even better in smaller venues. the visuals were incredible and the sound was immense, and it made me a fan all over again, which is more than i can say for explosions in the sky, who while operating in similar territory, i've never been able to enjoy over the years. seeing them twice in canada did nothing to change this...

the best part about seeing godspeed twice is that they played completely different sets both nights, which is very rare for opening bands in arenas. really made seeing them twice a treat...

Mr.Metheus
10-22-2013, 01:13 PM
They played a quieter song that I really enjoyed but the louder parts of their set ended up just sounding like a wall of noise, and not in a good way. Of course I might have just been in a bad spot for acoustics, and they might play something different at your show that will sound better in a stadium. The visuals were really cool!

(I do like them quite a bit, I just haven't listened to them enough yet to be able to identify the songs by name)

downward
10-22-2013, 02:59 PM
If you are into watching a dimly lit stage with a monotonous black and white movie playing on a screen with endless loops of noise then you'll like them. I on the other hand thought it was a complete waste of an opening band. An episode of Breaking bad played on the screen would've been more entertaining !

m15a
10-22-2013, 03:23 PM
i'm a fairly new, but fairly huge fan. i definitely enjoyed seeing them open twice. watching them from the front of GA was not really great due to missing out on a lot of the sound and visuals, but when i was seated, the sound was great. like frankie said, different set each night. i'm pretty sure it was a mix of old and new stuff. you can check on setlist.fm, but the different track names kind of confuse me. :)

i was kind of tired of listening to other concert goers complaining though, both those that don't like the group and fans that were expecting a 2 hour set. (it was about 40 minutes, btw.)

frankie teardrop
10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
there were people complaining about godspeed playing too short of a set? i heard a lot of people asking and hoping for a separate godspeed tour during or after this, but to expect a 2 hour set from an opening band is just...not going to happen anywhere ever.

Iran_Ed
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
They're my favorite band.
Friday was my third time seeing them, and to be honest I might not have gone if they weren't the openers.
I realize they aren't for everyone, but I would love to see how a NIN crowd responds to Mladic.
They only played Behemoth Friday.

Jinsai
10-22-2013, 09:13 PM
If you are into watching a dimly lit stage with a monotonous black and white movie playing on a screen with endless loops of noise then you'll like them. I on the other hand thought it was a complete waste of an opening band. An episode of Breaking bad played on the screen would've been more entertaining !

And then, on to a completely different and unrelated topic: the music that the band played

if you think Godspeed is "an endless loop of noise" your ears are broken.

m15a
10-22-2013, 09:52 PM
there were people complaining about godspeed playing too short of a set? i heard a lot of people asking and hoping for a separate godspeed tour during or after this, but to expect a 2 hour set from an opening band is just...not going to happen anywhere ever.

"2 hours" was my exaggeration, but there were people that were hoping for longer that i heard. some might have just been asking for more without real expectation, but i heard others that sounded sincerely disappointed.

Findaway
10-23-2013, 03:14 PM
They were really good. I had heard of them in the past but never really listened until last night at the Nashville show. They were really good. Don't pay attention to visual stuff. Just listen to the sound. They really know how to manipulate feedback and it was a good post rock session.

icecream
10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
I prefer them over Explosions.

captainbeyond
10-23-2013, 07:40 PM
They fucking rule! very moving.

R-Dot-Yung
10-23-2013, 10:13 PM
I never heard them before my Tension shows and really enjoyed their sets, keep forgetting to download their stuff.

rampface
10-24-2013, 01:52 AM

And then, on to a completely different and unrelated topic: the music that the band played

if you think Godspeed is "an endless loop of noise" your ears are broken.
@Jinsai (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272) : these are EXACTLY the type of fans I was referring to over in the music forum.

killer
10-24-2013, 03:09 AM
In my personal opinion, Godspeed is decent. I saw them 3 times this tour, and Explosions once. People really don't seem to enjoy Godspeed, though, so you will hear a bunch of haters complaining loudly during their set. Be prepared.

SarahConnor
10-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Godspeed are one of the best bands, period. I liked seeing Explosions, but they're sub-standard post-rock (not as good as Mogwai, etc.). I don't know what's not to like about them, unless of course you're one of these morons that can afford arena tickets.

captainbeyond
10-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Of course the lady in front of me hated Godspeed. Called it a "bunch of shit."

Same lady who had ZERO interest into any of NIN's new stuff and even "Sanctified" and The Fragile stuff. Goes from dancing and singing to "Piggy" to acting severely mellow and not enthused for the rest. She pretty much ruined the first 5 songs of NIN by terrible dancing that featured her acting out the lyrics. You don't realize how much Trent's block of HM songs actually saved the show for me.

OF COURSE it was that lady.

thevoid99
10-24-2013, 11:39 PM
I saw most of their performance a few hours ago. I liked it though I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

GrayscaleRain
10-25-2013, 03:47 AM
I didn't care for them.

I would be interested in hearing an actual album and from what I've heard on youtube, they aren't actually that bad. Rather interesting in some ways, but regardless, the performance at the Phillips was rather horrid. The mixing must have been bad because the whole thing sounded like a constant drone for a good portion of the 'set' and it was hard, if impossible to pick out any actual playing for the most of it. I would have liked to actually be able to hear individual instruments, but no go on that. The melodies that did show up were simple and drawn out, and though the visuals were very nice, the performance came off as art rock with a lot of style and not any real substance.

I suppose if they wanted to get someone to feel something, then they accomplished their goal. It was teeth grinding, nearly the whole incessant forty minutes of it. I was numb by the end of it.

That said, I'm glad Trent's getting them exposure and I hope they do well. I'm fully aware that they might not be my cup of tea, but then again I'm also fully aware that musical taste is rather subjective and I did see glimpses of potential there. Also, the 'show' itself was very good with very "Shadow Man" reminiscent visuals. I think they'd do well at scoring movies or video games at the very least, so I can see why there'd be some fan overlap between Nine Inch Nails and these guys.

Just my honest opinion.

50 Volt Phantom
10-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I really enjoyed them a lot, equally as much as NIN. Loved the intro they did, loved the screens, I was thoroughly impressed. They had a massive sound, it was quite an experience.

JonCh101
10-25-2013, 11:55 PM
I get a Pink Floyd vibe from these guys, there live show would benifit from a badass light/laser show.

heroicraptor
10-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Godspeed! was fucking excellent.

fortheloveofgod
10-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Love these guys after seeing them live in DC. Went and found the live archive and downloaded Behemoth. Great song. Listening to Rosetta, pelican, and mogwai!

Trunkjob
10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
I saw them for the first time in September at a full show and they were excellent. I imagine they would be at their best in a small venue like where I saw them.
EITS will be at my NIN show next month, and though I'm not very familiar with them I imagine I will enjoy them.