PDA

View Full Version : Failure

Pages : [1] 2 3

ViN
10-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I searched and only found Autolux/Ken Andrews threads.

https://www.facebook.com/Failureband

If that's what it is I for one am very interested.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Considering how much talk of Failure there was in the Ken Andrews/DNA thread, I feel like this should go over there. But yeah, I damn near dropped my iPod when I read that on Facebook.

virushopper
10-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Holy shit!

Deadpool
10-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Wow.

I'm thinking they're planning a 2014 tour, but things are still vague enough that we can reasonably speculate about a new single or (dare I say it) a new album. Even if there is no new music, a small tour could be enough to get them inspired again (see: Soundgarden). The possibility of a reunion has been in the back of my mind ever since I realized Ken and Greg were friendly again, i.e. them spending time with each other's families now that they're both married with kids.

Can't wait to see where this goes...

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Ken posted on the Failure page -

Trust me, it's quite real.

Eeeeeee! Time to re-load every piece of Failure I have onto my iPod and listen to it until we get more concrete news.

caca
10-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Oh, hell yes!!!!

Failure
10-17-2013, 08:12 PM
I am going to be angry if they only play Cali shows. Don't piss me off Greg. Get on a plane..

It's unlikely that Troy will be involved.

perceptionnexus
10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I've waited for this since 1997. Cant.fucking.believe.it.is.happening. I'm sure Kelli will be on board, don't think he's up to much. As far as Troy goes, eh, hate to say it but he's replaceable in this context, though if they were doing a new record it would be interesting to see what he might bring to the table. A tour obviously would be preferred, but even if they just do a handful of shows in Cali, my best friend and I made a pact that if this ever happened we would fly to L.A. for it. Time to start saving some green I reckon.

gorny540
10-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Fuck yes!!!!! I've been dreaming of this since I got into them a couple years ago. I even met Troy over the Summer and asked him when the reunion was and he was like I don't know you tell me.

gorny540
10-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I am going to be angry if they only play Cali shows. Don't piss me off Greg. Get on a plane..

It's unlikely that Troy will be involved.

Troy listed in the Band Member section of the FB page, let the speculation ensue

Members
Ken Andrews, Greg Edwards, Kellii Scott & Troy Van Leeuwen

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-18-2013, 05:26 PM
^If that had been up there for a while, I'd think nothing of it. Considering it was just done in the last 24 hours...Oh, shit.

perceptionnexus
10-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Way too early to speculate on new material, but I'm really interested if they're working on anything new. Their creative peak seemed to really thrive from the tension in the band and the drug problems going on, it would be interesting to see what kind of themes they would explore now, middle aged and sober with families and whatnot.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Way too early to speculate on new material, but I'm really interested if they're working on anything new. Their creative peak seemed to really thrive from the tension in the band and the drug problems going on, it would be interesting to see what kind of themes they would explore now, middle aged and sober with families and whatnot.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm leaning less toward wanting more new material (primarily for that reason - I don't doubt they could work something up if they really wanted to, though) and more toward wanting to see them going on tour again, even if it's just a handful of club shows. I'd be on the first train out to the closest show, even if it's in LA.

Deadpool
10-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Yeah, it's crazy to think what Ken & Greg would create together now. I think there's definitely some truth to the turmoil of recording Fantastic Planet that led to some of its greatness.

That said, Ken has consistently rocked my world with every one of the releases he's been involved with: Failure, Replicants, ON, Year of the Rabbit, Ken Andrews solo, Digital Noise Academy, Blinker The Star, Charlotte Martin, etc. As for Greg, he almost makes up for his and Autolux's slow pace with the quality of both their records (I adore their self-titled and Transit Transit). Point being, I know they still have the potential to make some incredible tunes. Would be really interesting to hear Ken sing some new lyrics by Greg, too...

perceptionnexus
10-19-2013, 12:45 AM
I thought I remember awhile back wasn't Greg contributing to one of the DNA songs? I don't think anything from that was ever heard. Maybe that was the start of the Failure rebirth?

Deadpool
10-26-2013, 01:16 AM
"Magnified" is brilliant. Had no idea it was coming out on vinyl! Thanks for the heads-up!

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-04-2013, 11:33 AM
So yeah.

It's true, Failure has reunited and will play their first show in 15 years on Feb. 13 at the El Rey Theatre (https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Rey-Theatre/104005209636266?directed_target_id=0) in Los Angeles (tickets are on-sale on Thursday, Nov. 7 at 10 am. The first 250 ticket purchasers at Amoeba Music, Origami Vinyl and Ax.com will receive a limited edition 7-inch featuring two rarities. Ken recently spoke with SPIN (https://www.facebook.com/SPIN?directed_target_id=0) about all things Failure: http://www.spin.com/articles/failure-reunion-show-fantastic-planet/

Basically, things are good with Ken and Greg, they wanna see where this reunion takes them, they've thought about doing Fantastic Planet from start to finish someday, and they have a handful of little recordings to show that "they still have something to say."

Ugh. I WANNA BUY TICKETS. I don't know what to do.

theimage13
11-04-2013, 11:39 AM
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I have no shortage of people offering me places to crash in L.A., but I'm on tour from New Years through the end of April.

virushopper
11-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm there!

perceptionnexus
11-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Argghhhh great but frustrating news today. I'm gonna have to wait for the inevitable tour. Even a one-night trip to Cali for the show from here is gonna set me back at least 600 bones, not feasible. My buddy and I thought we could road trip it to save on the money end, but doing that we'd be gone for at least 5 or 6 days, also not feasible. I wonder what songs the bonus 7" will have on it for the first 250 ticket buyers?

A new record would be insane and make my life because I never thought it was ever possible. If they kept going and continued in the direction they were indicating on the Enjoy the Silence cover (Fantastic Planet kind of production with a little more going on electronically)........wow. Hopefully Kelli kept that same kit and I'm sure Greg still has the silver Wal laying around to break out again. Glad they feel they still have something to say, that's a good indicator of new stuff to come out. The only thing that kind of could suck is I think Autolux is finishing a new record at the moment, so that might put new Failure stuff on hold for Greg. I love Autolux and all, but anything related to Failure definitely is much more preferred!

StopRemembering
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Holy fuck, if they tour Fantastic Planet front to back there is nothing in this world that could stop me from getting to one of those shows. I've never traveled more than a few hours to get to a concert but I'll fly to fucking LA to see this if I have to.

I mean really. HOLY FUCK.

Deadpool
11-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Well... might be visiting L.A. for the first time in my life!

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Well... might be visiting L.A. for the first time in my life!

That's kinda where I'm at right now on this thing. I've always wanted to go, but I feel like if I don't get tickets right away, I won't be able to. That'd give me three months to plan. Blaaah, but that's such a huge commitment. First world problems, damn you!

Jinsai
11-05-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm assuming they mean the first 250 people altogether who buy tickets from those sites will get the 7".

The capacity at the El Rey is really not that large. According to teh interwebs the place only holds 771 people... I actually thought it was smaller than that. Regardless, this show is going to sell out in less than a second so don't book your travel plans just yet.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah. If I can't get tickets right away, I won't bother with it. But if I CAN get tickets, I have a little while to iron out details.

virushopper
11-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Woo Hoo!!!!

See ya all in February!!!!

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Apparently there's a little hot water over the recently-issued "Magnified" vinyl - which I apparently mistakenly purchased.

If you want to own a copy of our Magnified album on Vinyl, then you'll have to wait until someone actually releases it. The recent release by ORG music, claiming to be our album Magnified, is not. The people over at ORG Music, or perhaps the people at Rhino, (the catalog arm of Warner Bros) decided that they didn't need to check with the band before pressing, and actually left off a very important piece of the album. There is a Segue that comes right after the title track, that was left off. We are not talking about a disagreement in the quality of the mastering, or the type of Vinyl used. They actually left off content. Granted it was a Segue of roughly a minute and half in length, but to us, it is a very critical piece that is important to the flow of the album. Anyone who really knows the band's material, would know that Segues are one of our hallmarks. The one they left off is a particularly significant one that is a clear precursor to what we ultimately did with Segues on Fantastic Planet.

How this happened is anybody's guess, as the people we have spoken with so far are already pointing fingers at each other with no one willing to accept responsibility. It has nothing to do with the time restrictions of Vinyl, as there is clearly plenty of room at the end of Side A for the 1:40 Segue. This appears to be a simple case of negligence.

It is very easy for a label to get in touch with us, but even if one can't be bothered to spend the time and effort to contact the creators, and have them approve a new master before release, how hard is it to actually check the Vinyl Master against the CD or Digital version of the album, which are readily available, and as we intended, before you press up and release a 12"?

So, for the people who already bought this impostor, we're sorry you were duped. If your a collector type, maybe you'll be into this sort of thing. And for people who are thinking about buying it, we recommend that you not. At least not until they decide to put out the actual album we made.

-Ken Andrews

renholder
12-16-2013, 08:50 PM
I saw a copy of this at a store the other day... not sure if I should be glad I didn't buy a shitty pressing, or upset I didn't buy a pressing that will surely be sought after by collectors.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-16-2013, 09:19 PM
I saw a copy of this at a store the other day... not sure if I should be glad I didn't buy a shitty pressing, or upset I didn't buy a pressing that will surely be sought after by collectors.

The changes are noticeable, but...I mean, it's not like the record becomes some kind of horrible abomination to music. I'll probably still listen to it from time to time, but I'll probably just wait until a legitimate copy gets issued, then just see if this one's worth anything by then. If nothing else, I could probably make my $20 back.

Darkwing
12-17-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm hoping the Fantastic Planet album shows do happen someday, because that would be an experience to say the least. I won't be making it to the LA shows so I'm hoping there's a bigger tour at some point but I'm just glad they reunited because I got into them so late that I thought they were a band I'd never get the chance to see. It'd be amazing to get new material from them now and see what they'd come up with after over 16 years, but at the same time I'm just as satisfied with them touring.

SarahConnor
12-17-2013, 08:11 PM
I bet they play Coachella.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Jesus Christ. So much for my hopes of finding one for a reasonable price. I can only hope it gets reissued at some point or a used copy pops up at the local record store.

But yeah, the Magnified record does sound fine. Aside from the missing segue, there's really nothing "wrong" with it. The circumstances through which it came about just suck, especially presuming that the band didn't see a dime from this release.

Edit: Just wanted to take a minute to appreciate how awesome this song/album is. The second I played a couple songs off of it for this girl I was talking to a while back and she said, "What the fuck? This is so bad," and THEN told me about how good dubstep is, I knew it wouldn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Z2QjsmjWM

gorny540
01-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Bad news, QotSA is playing in Vegas the night of the Failure reunion so it doesn't look like Troy will be part of the live act, although it has been confirmed he has been writing with the band. It is so weird because it is the last night of a leg of the tour for Queens and a one off show for Failure, why not just have one of the shows the day before or after? Oh well, either way I really hope they end up doing an actual tour and come EAST

perceptionnexus
01-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Bad news, QotSA is playing in Vegas the night of the Failure reunion so it doesn't look like Troy will be part of the live act, although it has been confirmed he has been writing with the band. It is so weird because it is the last night of a leg of the tour for Queens and a one off show for Failure, why not just have one of the shows the day before or after? Oh well, either way I really hope they end up doing an actual tour and come EAST

where was it confirmed that troy is writing with them?

gorny540
01-13-2014, 07:38 PM
where was it confirmed that troy is writing with them?

It was posted on the queens forum as it was asked in an interview, interview is not in english though but here it is http://www.bäckstage.ch/music/interviews/elton-john-unterstützte-uns-emotional

renholder
01-23-2014, 12:41 AM
I'm going through stuff looking for things to sell and stumbled on something interesting. I have this cardboard box with a black frog silhouette on it. It says "Dissect This" on it, and contains a cassette tape with selections from Magnified. Seems like a neat little promo item. There's still a shipping label with Slash Records' return address on it.

Anybody know if it's worth anything?

perceptionnexus
01-23-2014, 12:58 AM
I'm going through stuff looking for things to sell and stumbled on something interesting. I have this cardboard box with a black frog silhouette on it. It says "Dissect This" on it, and contains a cassette tape with selections from Magnified. Seems like a neat little promo item. There's still a shipping label with Slash Records' return address on it.

Anybody know if it's worth anything?

I'm currently saving to see them 10 times on a hopeful tour and $150 mega deluxe version of their hopeful new album otherwise I'd be glad to take that off your hands! I'm sure you could fetch a bit for it on ebay, I've never seen that item before. Would you be willing to post a photo of it?

renholder
01-23-2014, 02:25 AM
I'm currently saving to see them 10 times on a hopeful tour and $150 mega deluxe version of their hopeful new album otherwise I'd be glad to take that off your hands! I'm sure you could fetch a bit for it on ebay, I've never seen that item before. Would you be willing to post a photo of it?

Sorry they're rotated weird.

http://imgur.com/a/R33yC

If you can't read it, it's 4 tracks - Frogs, Moth, Undone and Magnified. The other side of the tape is totally blank, no label on it or writing of any kind.

perceptionnexus
01-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Looks pretty cool, thanks for the photos. Not sure what something like that could go for, tbh. Maybe ebay list it and post a link on the failure tribute page on facebook?

perceptionnexus
02-13-2014, 08:47 PM
*Obligatory thread bump in light of the first reunion show taking place tonight* Please share anything in relation!

virushopper
02-13-2014, 10:49 PM
So I'm here in the venue and the merch available are shirts and posters with the guy with the gun from Fantastic Planet album cover.

The exclusive vinyl is also available.

Would try and grab a picture when I can.

And no opening band tonight.

virushopper
02-13-2014, 11:01 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/14/5uda7y6u.jpg

Poster

perceptionnexus
02-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Frickin awesome! Any idea whats on the limited vinyl?

virushopper
02-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Weird, let's show a 15 minute collage of movie clips. On Windows Media Player no less!

virushopper
02-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Frickin awesome! Any idea whats on the limited vinyl?

Nope. Didn't buy it, I only saw the words Solaris 2014 on it.

perceptionnexus
02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
An interview posted today, new songs in the works!

http://news.radio.com/2014/02/13/failure-the-return-of-the-greatest-90s-band-youve-never-heard/ (http://news.radio.com/2014/02/13/failure-the-return-of-the-greatest-90s-band-youve-never-heard/)

I wish so bad that I could be at the show right now

virushopper
02-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Okay technically one can't buy the vinyl as you need to have a specific ticket to do so.

Anyway the show was great. Lots of Fantastic Planet material but equally balanced out by the first two albums.

Sorry no set list from me, I couldn't remember them all. Troy missing did have some effect on the live show as both Greg and Ken had to constantly pause between songs to switch instruments and tune them. Oh for you guitar tone crazies, they both were using Fractals. And they played an hour and a half so I got my money's worth.

Overall it was a great show. Can't wait to see them again in May with A Perfect Circle.

HEY! SOMEONE POST THE SETLIST!
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/failure/2014/el-rey-theatre-los-angeles-ca-73c5021d.html

dtnd
02-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Failure Reunite For First Live Show In Sixteen Years, Footage Available (http://www.theprp.com/2014/02/14/news/failure-reunite-for-first-live-show-in-sixteen-years-footage-available/)

perceptionnexus
02-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Wow............mind blown and I wasn't even at the show. Sounds like theyre a ways off from releasing a new record from the sound of the interview. Wonder if theyll end up doing a tour before that would happen.

perceptionnexus
02-14-2014, 12:42 PM
And what is going on with the amp cabs?

armogi
02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
so jealous I wasn't there... must have been some good show, and it's on dime already!

oldschool
02-14-2014, 03:03 PM
And what is going on with the amp cabs?

http://www.pulido123.com/pa/items/Sunn Model 12.jpg

Sunn Model 12 Amps. I was mesmerized by them during the show. I saw the Sunn logo but had no idea if the cabinets were real or props until I just did an image search. They fit the feel of the band perfectly. Very Kubrickian.

The show was awesome. The band sounded great. I was hoping they'd play one of those new tunes, but I can't complain. They hit all the highlights and sounded great for a band playing its first gig in almost two decades.

I liked the film clips before the show. It actually did help put the pieces together of their inspirations for the band.

perceptionnexus
02-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Cool, thanks for posting about those cabs! Never seen anything like that before in my life. What clipswere they playing before the show? I saw on youtube just a glimpse of the fantastic planet movie. Also, would someone be so kind as to pm/post a boot of the show if they come across one in decent quality?
A

oldschool
02-15-2014, 04:08 AM
Cool, thanks for posting about those cabs! Never seen anything like that before in my life. What clipswere they playing before the show? I saw on youtube just a glimpse of the fantastic planet movie. Also, would someone be so kind as to pm/post a boot of the show if they come across one in decent quality?
A

I believe these were the clips (not in order):
Andrei Tarkovsky's "Solaris" and "The Sacrifice"
Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey"
The opening sequence of "The Spy Who Loved Me" spliced with parts of Failure's "Stuck On You" video
A clip from "The Ren and Stimpy Show" were they are in space
"Fantastic Planet"

Before the clips started they had a short explantation stating that in lieu of an opening band they decided to share films that were an inspiration to the band.

perceptionnexus
02-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I think it's pretty badass how they synced the sample they used in another space song with the movie, then boom! curtain drops

innerturmoil
02-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Was a great show, anybody come across Solaris 2014 rip yet? Didn't manage a vinyl ticket myself.

elevenism
02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Failure...i saw those guys at Lollapalooza 97 or so...the one with Tool and Prodigy and Tricky and Snoop.
I was frying, and they were SO mesmerizing.
That one show changed the way i play guitar forever....i just LOVE the octaving.

theimage13
02-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Failure Reunite For First Live Show In Sixteen Years, Footage Available (http://www.theprp.com/2014/02/14/news/failure-reunite-for-first-live-show-in-sixteen-years-footage-available/)

Sweet baby Jesus. That is a mind-boggling setlist.

gorny540
02-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Really happy this band is back together, now please tour somewhere outside of LA!!!

Bootleg of the reunion show, decent quality: http://www.darshun.com/2014/02/failure-to-success.html

perceptionnexus
02-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Solaris 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoMDGGeUgDk

Pretty kick ass me thinks. Very contemporary sounding, but still totally "Failure". I like Greg's vox here a lot too.

Deadpool
02-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Loving "Solaris 2014"! Really special to hear Ken and Greg share lead vocals. Here's hoping we get an official digital release before long (not to mention a tour and album announcement :) !!!)

perceptionnexus
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm listening to Alain Goraguer's score for Fantasic Planet and I just wondered how interesting it would be if Failure covered the entire soundtrack

armogi
02-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Loving "Solaris 2014"! Really special to hear Ken and Greg share lead vocals. Here's hoping we get an official digital release before long (not to mention a tour and album announcement :) !!!)

solaris 2014 is on NAR now!

dvdglss
02-28-2014, 04:39 PM
OH shit.. touring with Tool in March!

http://news.radio.com/2014/02/28/failure-to-join-tool-on-u-s-tour/

virushopper
02-28-2014, 06:14 PM
OH shit.. touring with Tool in March!

http://news.radio.com/2014/02/28/failure-to-join-tool-on-u-s-tour/
I'm disappointed they won't be at the Vegas gig I'm attending.

caca
03-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I wasn't planning on catching Tool this time around when they come to Phoenix, but I may have to reconsider. I would LOVE to see Failure.

ViN
03-09-2014, 05:51 AM
How are the Tool opening shows going?

dtnd
03-09-2014, 11:29 AM
tonight is the first night they are opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8XGfCOQ0A

dlb
03-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Does anyone have the audio source for this edit with the tracks separated? this is too good to be true! thanks to whoever can provide a PM! ;)

fortysixand2
03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Does anyone have the audio source for this edit with the tracks separated? this is too good to be true! thanks to whoever can provide a PM! ;)

The show is on dimeadozen.org

dvdglss
03-11-2014, 04:31 PM
How are the Tool opening shows going? this sucks.. i've heard/read nothing so far from them. hope someone get's on that.

armogi
03-11-2014, 10:35 PM
this sucks.. i've heard/read nothing so far from them. hope someone get's on that.They just finished here in SF, 40mn, solid but too short set, mostly FP.Very happy I finally saw them, can't wait for tomorrow!

dvdglss
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Awesome! Is it the same set up, lighting from the 1st reunion show?

armogi
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
yes, i believe so, white lights stuffs and a big failure flag in the back (to hide Tool's lightning sh*t I presume)
I got in just in time for the start and they were playing a movie too, I assume it is the same one they played at the el rey show.

virushopper
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
More US tour dates:

May 10 Los Angeles, CA Cinquanta (The Greek Theatre)
May 11 Los Angeles, CA Cinquanta (The Greek Theatre)
May 14 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall*
May 15 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall*
May 17 Vancouver, BC Rickshaw Theatre*
May 18 Seattle, WA The Showbox*
May 21 Minneapolis, MN The Varsity*
May 22 Chicago, IL The Metro**
May 24 Milwaukee, WI The Rave II**
May 25 Detroit, MI St. Andrew’s Hall**
May 26 Toronto, ON Mod Club*
May 27 Toronto, ON Mod Club*
May 29 New York, NY Irving Plaza*
May 30 Philadelphia, PA Theatre of Living Arts*
May 31 Asbury Park, NJ The Stone Pony*
June 1 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club*
June 3 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg*
June 5 Silver Spring, MD The Fillmore*

Tickets for all dates, excluding Cinquanta which is already sold out, are on sale on April 11(*) and 12 (**).

dvdglss
04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
South Florida, fucked again for rock concerts... god, why do we have to be so far away...

awesome that they're touring the country though!

halo eighteen
04-07-2014, 02:19 PM
wow St Andrews! Too bad I'll be at Coachella when tickets go on sale. Probably going to sell out fast.

dlb
04-07-2014, 02:24 PM
hmm, what are the odds for them to come to Europe or even Germany? Fuck, I need to see them badly! That reunion show has been on repeat a couple of times already.

theimage13
04-07-2014, 03:32 PM
There's a dangerously high chance I'll be on tour when they come anywhere near me, but I'm thinking about saying screw it and getting a ticket for something anyway. Youtube footage from the reunion has me seriously missing them.

Deadpool
04-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Looks like I'll be going to both NYC shows! Can't wait.

StopRemembering
04-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Gonna try to grab tickets to the MHoW show for my brother & myself. I love that venue so much, when I saw it on the list I got goosebumps. It's gonna be an incredible show.

perceptionnexus
04-07-2014, 09:18 PM
May 21st can't come soon enough. 16 long years of waiting finally comes to an end. This will be THE concert of my life, if I never see another show again it won't matter a bit after this. So excited. Would be extra sweet if they debuted a new song or two.

elevenism
04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
i saw those guys back at Lollapalooza 97 in dallas with tool and prodigy and snoop dog...they were bad ass

gorny540
04-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Got tickets for the Stone Pony show in Asbury Park, so happy, I never thought I'd get the chance to see Failure live

blackholesun
04-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Sweet! 2 SF dates. At my favorite SF venue. And I won't have to pay the way-too-high-Tool prices either. Let the happiness ensue.

perceptionnexus
04-20-2014, 01:41 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALBUM # 4 IS CONFIRMED!!!!!

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/failure-interview-ken-andrews

dunebug81
04-20-2014, 04:20 AM
Im sad I won't make it to the LA shows next month with APC/Pucifer but glad they added an Atlanta show.

I have 2 tickets for the Sunday APC/Pucifer/Failure show for sale if anyone is in need PM me.

armogi
04-20-2014, 06:46 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALBUM # 4 IS CONFIRMED!!!!!

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/failure-interview-ken-andrews

Great interview and awesome news, thx for the link!

Deadpool
05-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Great news: there will be a tour exclusive live EP (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=318720964945576), titled "Tree of Stars", featuring 4 live tracks and Failure's first new studio song since Fantastic Planet - "Come Crashing." Fuck yes!!

Verthandi
05-11-2014, 01:55 AM
I'm so excited about the new music and can't wait to see them next month in Pomona!

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-14-2014, 11:54 PM
http://failureband.bandcamp.com/releases

Kodiak33
05-15-2014, 07:12 AM
http://failureband.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks, purchased.

dvdglss
05-15-2014, 10:42 AM
i LOVE it!!

it's kinda odd. because i feel like it has some elements of old, and bits of their respective post '97 projects in it. It's still their natural growth as artists.

man it's so beautiful...

armogi
05-15-2014, 02:01 PM
sweet song with great ambiance, very promising, some hints of the past but also a fresh twist on what the record could be.

perceptionnexus
05-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Very awesome song, but unexpected! Pretty much in line with what dvdglss said. Almost reminds me of a direct collision of old Autolux and Year of The Rabbit. My only gripe about it, and this is just a slight gripe, is that the production sounded a little too slick-sounding on the first couple listens. I'm sure it'll make sense to my ears in time.

Actually reminded me of the first time I heard The Fragile on its release day, when I knew what I was hearing was awesome, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around it right away because it sounded so different than Downward Spiral.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-15-2014, 07:30 PM
WELP. Looks like I'm officially going to the Chicago show now. What a fucking KILLER band to break my concert-going dry spell since NIN last fall. Anybody else gonna be there?

Piko
05-15-2014, 08:16 PM
The chemistry's still there! Great new track. As for the production. A lot of time has passed. Technology's changed, and Andrews has been very active in production throughout the years. So, of course, that experience is going to carry over. Glad they're back.

ophelia_
05-16-2014, 12:02 AM
So, don't shoot me, but I've never listened to Failure before... What album should I start with?

perceptionnexus
05-16-2014, 12:27 AM
So, don't shoot me, but I've never listened to Failure before... What album should I start with?

Failure were a band that imo got better with each record, but it depends on your tastes. All three albums sound pretty different from one another. Most likely, start with Fantastic Planet. Released in 1996. It's their swansong. The majority of fans will tell you its their favorite Failure album for any number of reasons. It has their best song writing, artistic vision, diversity, production, etc. I could honestly write a book on why it's my fav. album ever.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person who lives and breathes Touch and Go Records type stuff, Comfort would be a good start. It was their first album. Steve Albini produced it. Came out in 1992. You can tell they were still trying to find their sound on this one. It's pretty raw sounding and their definitely their noisiest album. For the most part the songs are pretty killer, though.

Magnified came out in 1994. The production is a little more polished and the songs are quite a bit catchier.

Overall:

Fantastic Planet 10/10
Magnified 8-9/10
Comfort 7/10

my top ten favorite songs:

Another Space Song
Heliotropic
Saturday Saviour
Pillowhead
Frogs
Undone
Macaque
Nurse Who Loved Me
Bernie
Blank

Also check out their b-sides collection called Golden. That contains outtakes from the entire career of the band. And also many of the bands they were working with in the 90s are awesome also: Replicants, Lusk, Blinker The Star, Self, Molly McGuire, etc.

barkhammer
05-16-2014, 12:27 AM

Definitely Fantastic Planet

ophelia_
05-16-2014, 01:57 AM
Failure were a band that imo got better with each record, but it depends on your tastes. All three albums sound pretty different from one another. Most likely, start with Fantastic Planet. Released in 1996. It's their swansong. The majority of fans will tell you its their favorite Failure album for any number of reasons. It has their best song writing, artistic vision, diversity, production, etc. I could honestly write a book on why it's my fav. album ever.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person who lives and breathes Touch and Go Records type stuff, Comfort would be a good start. It was their first album. Steve Albini produced it. Came out in 1992. You can tell they were still trying to find their sound on this one. It's pretty raw sounding and their definitely their noisiest album. For the most part the songs are pretty killer, though.

Magnified came out in 1994. The production is a little more polished and the songs are quite a bit catchier.

Overall:

Fantastic Planet 10/10
Magnified 8-9/10
Comfort 7/10

my top ten favorite songs:

Another Space Song
Heliotropic
Saturday Saviour
Pillowhead
Frogs
Undone
Macaque
Nurse Who Loved Me
Bernie
Blank

Also check out their b-sides collection called Golden. That contains outtakes from the entire career of the band. And also many of the bands they were working with in the 90s are awesome also: Replicants, Lusk, Blinker The Star, Self, Molly McGuire, etc.

Awesome! :D You've just made me way more excited to check that album out... Think I'll start with Fantastic Planet and then go through your top 10 fav songs.

theimage13
05-16-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm going to one of the shows.

Not "I need to go" or "I want to go". I actually have a ticket.

To see Failure. Live.

Well, scratch one band off the lists of artists I grew up loving and thought I would never have a chance to see.

perceptionnexus
05-16-2014, 10:43 AM

To see Failure. Live.

Well, scratch one band off the lists of artists I grew up loving and thought I would never have a chance to see.

This. It's a crazy feeling. Never thought the day would come. 5 more days until dreams come true!

armogi
05-16-2014, 12:40 PM
FYI, they dropped another new song last night in SF, called the focus. Looks like the songwriting is going well :)

pwing47
05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I wish I could go to the Milwaukee and Chicago shows, but I'm committed to going out to Sasquatch in WA those days. How do I go back in time 6 months and tell my friends that I'd rather stay home and get rocked by Failure instead?

If I'm lucky though, I might get to see them in MN the night before flying out.

I really shouldn't be complaining, since I got to see them perform both nights at Cinquanta. So so good (was anyone else there?). Would love to be able to see them play a full set as a headliner, though!

Deadpool
05-16-2014, 02:53 PM
A fan tagged Ken Andrews on facebook for a photo of the tour's merch booth, and so it showed up on my feed: looks like there's a serious selection. I want it all!

http://i61.tinypic.com/2cyicmx.jpg

Also, while we're talking about our fav Failure songs, I have to give a shout to "Pro-Catastrophe" (especially the 7" version on Essentials) and "Something." I echo the sentiment to start with Fantastic Planet, but don't be surprised if you eventually start asking yourself if Magnified is really your favorite album :)

perceptionnexus
05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
A fan tagged Ken Andrews on facebook for a photo of the tour's merch booth, and so it showed up on my feed: looks like there's a serious selection. I want it all!

http://i61.tinypic.com/2cyicmx.jpg

Also, while we're talking about our fav Failure songs, I have to give a shout to "Pro-Catastrophe" (especially the 7" version on Essentials) and "Something." I echo the sentiment to start with Fantastic Planet, but don't be surprised if you eventually start asking yourself if Magnified is really your favorite album :)

I saw this photo too! Wish he could've gotten some of the other shirts in the shot. Looks like I'll need to bring at least $100 for merch alone, damn! Can anyone make out what the collector's bundle offer in the top corner is and the cost?

Still loving "Come Crashing" after about 25 listens since yesterday. Does anyone know anything about "The Focus" from last night? I wouldn't mind waiting til the show next week to hopefully hear it for the first time, but also wouldn't mind knowing a little bit about it, what it sounds like, etc.

renholder
05-16-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm going to see them in a couple weeks. That merch photo just made my wallet very unhappy. Hopefully the posters are just as good looking as the signed litho, so I can talk myself out of buying it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm noticing that "Collector's Special" option in blue text in the upper-right corner - Curious to see what that's all about, seeing as I'm gladly willing to throw money at almost anything in that picture. AND they'll have Golden and the Essentials CD/DVD. I wonder if there'll be any sort of vinyl available, like that Solaris 2014 7"? You never know. I suspect that not eeeverything in the booth is pictured/listed on the board.

Either way, I'm glad my wallet's nice and hefty for a change.

perceptionnexus
05-16-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm noticing that "Collector's Special" option in blue text in the upper-right corner - Curious to see what that's all about, seeing as I'm gladly willing to throw money at almost anything in that picture. AND they'll have Golden and the Essentials CD/DVD. I wonder if there'll be any sort of vinyl available, like that Solaris 2014 7"? You never know. I suspect that not eeeverything in the booth is pictured/listed on the board.

Either way, I'm glad my wallet's nice and hefty for a change.

It looks like it says you get a choice of litho, choice of shirt, and that you get everything signed, maybe? I can't read anything else on it. Wish I had some software to remedy that :(

renholder
05-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Wait, is the Tree of Stars EP vinyl or a CD?

armogi
05-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Wait, is the Tree of Stars EP vinyl or a CD?
Cd only, $10 too. Quite pricey for just 1 new song...
There was no vinyls for sale.

ViN
05-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Liking the new song, pretty good.

To see Failure. Live.

I really wish they'd come somewhere within 500 miles of me, so I can witness this. And to whoever said we need a HUM reunion, yes yes fucking yes.

theimage13
05-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Liking the new song, pretty good.

I really wish they'd come somewhere within 500 miles of me, so I can witness this. And to whoever said we need a HUM reunion, yes yes fucking yes.

I'm travelling 800 miles round trip. What's your excuse? (Just teasing...I'm not doing that just for the concert.)

perceptionnexus
05-19-2014, 01:45 PM
New interview with Ken, some good info here:

http://chicagoist.com/2014/05/19/interview_ken_andrews_vows_failures.php

FernandoDante
05-19-2014, 11:12 PM
FYI, they dropped another new song last night in SF, called the focus. Looks like the songwriting is going well :)
The song is on a bootleg, on dimeadozen.

perceptionnexus
05-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Show last night in Minneapolis was kick ass amazing, hands down best concert in my whole life. Great venue, great crowd, and the band was in great spirits! We didn't get to hear "the focus" but they did play "Bernie" during the encore! I'm pretty sure it was the first time its been played since the reformation. They were tight as hell, I'm still reeling.

On a side note, the merch section was pretty depleted of men's shirts. Not sure if they've sold out of them already, all they had was the brown tree of stars shirt. I picked up that, a shirt for the wife, the new EP, one of the $5 tour posters and the $100 signed spaceman lithograph. They also had the golden dvd/cd, the essentials 2 cd, a tote bag, and 2 or 3 other women's shirts. All in all an amazing night!

dtnd
05-26-2014, 11:38 AM
anyone need boston tickets? i have 3 i need to get rid of asap. paid $99, would be great to get $50 for 2, or $65 for all 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWKDaOAwm34

virushopper
05-27-2014, 12:53 PM
New interview: http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=48060

perceptionnexus
05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
New interview: http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=48060

Great interview, thanks for the link!

Lerxto
05-28-2014, 05:30 AM
The EP is up at NAR.

Jord
05-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Would anyone be able to hook me up with the EP? I'm having great trouble getting hold of it.

gorny540
05-29-2014, 06:28 PM
It looks like tickets are still available on ticketmaster and very very cheap on stubhub (atleast for the NYC area shows) I guess they over estimated their audience sizes, I sure hope they do gain some traction with a new album, definitely want to see them on more headlining tours in the future

perceptionnexus
05-29-2014, 08:46 PM
It looks like tickets are still available on ticketmaster and very very cheap on stubhub (atleast for the NYC area shows) I guess they over estimated their audience sizes, I sure hope they do gain some traction with a new album, definitely want to see them on more headlining tours in the future

Not sure how the attendance has been at other shows but the gig I was at in Minneapolis was at least 3/4 full in a 1000 capacity theater. I think they had a pretty big crowd in Chicago as well. I wanna say they're doing pretty damn good on this tour for how obscure they were in the 90s. Putting the new album out next year will hopefully lead to an even bigger tour. As far as after that, I'd love them to keep going for another 10 years but if they decided to call it a day after touring on the new album I'd be okay with it. Two tours and and a brand new failure album is way more than I could have ever hoped for as a fan before they got back together.

Speaking of the album, so Ken said they've got 4 songs done at this point for the album, which I'm assuming means its about 1/3 done, and Kelli said in a recent interview that they had took about 30 hours worth of jam session recordings and edited down to about 3 hours worth stuff they wanted to potentially use for the record. It'll be interesting if they get the album done by year's end. Kinda seems like a rush but they wrote and recorded FP in 6 months so who knows. Also curious if they'll go in the direction Ken stated he wanted to go for and make it a more stripped-down failure album, which could really be interesting. They said they want it be a natural progression from FP so maybe that's the way to go? I guess achieving that goal would leave me personally more satisfied as a fan than worrying about if its a "better" album than FP. From the interview I was kinda left with the impression that "come crashing" won't be on the album. I'm loving the hell out of that song, but I think right now I'm a little more partial to "The Focus". From the sound of the bootleg I'll bet the recorded version is going to be mind blowing.

On a side note, I'm shocked at how much their albums are going for on amazon and ebay at the moment. Doesn't look like there is a used copy of the FP cd anywhere for under $25, let alone the vinyl stuff.

Deadpool
05-30-2014, 02:22 AM
Just got back from the Irving Plaza NYC show. T'was amazing! I met up with my best friend (who I don't get to see that often unfortunately) and our High School English teacher who are the only people I know in the world who can geek out on Failure with me... so for all of us to be together seeing a really important band for us made the gig even more special.

Highlights:
-Ken's screams. I was kind of anticipating that he'd be avoiding these moments (especially since they're pretty few/far-between on Failure songs), but he went for it a few times and it paid off. He sounded goddamn awesome on "Pillowhead."
-Greg going berzerk at the end of "Small Crimes" for the guitar/noise solo. That song was incredible live.
-The end of "Heliotropic."
-"Wet Gravity."
-The lighting! It was spot on - not ostentatious or distracting, but just right. Supported the music perfectly. The lights for "Smoking Umbrellas" were particularly good, especially in conjunction with the projections. The stage looked like it was on fire. Brilliant!
-I saw Carina Round outside the venue eating dinner in front of the tour bus. Wasn't expecting that. Randomly made eye contact with her, realized it was her, got nervous, and decided to leave her in peace.
-Kellii.
-Loved the short film that played before the set.
-Seeing Ken smile on stage while playing - he later asked the crowd if they were having as much fun as the band was. :)
-Only bummer of the show was some fucker yelling 'that song fucking sucked!' after "The Focus" which on 1st listen I thought had an amazing bass groove and guitar lead on the verses. Whatever.

Very, very happy I'll be seeing them again in Brooklyn in a few days. And those lithos are GORGEOUS. They're pretty expensive and I have no wall space, but dammit, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist again... I did grab the Live EP and a shirt though!

gorny540
06-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Incredible show I witnessed at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ. Just a perfect concert, loved the setlist. The venue was incredibly intimate. There was no barricade between the stage and the stage was so small that they weren't each standing on their individual risers like they have been on other shows this tour. I stayed strong and didn't look at any setlists the last 2 weeks and it made it even better, I absolutely loved the setlist. Really enjoyed The Focus, I can't wait for this band to put out an album and tour again. Below is a photo to show how close I was, got to give Ken a high five when he came back on stage for the encore. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpDWGnrCIAAUOLe.jpg:large

Failure
06-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Sick show at the Stone Pony last night. I've been waiting 17 years to see them and it was all I hoped it would be. The band was incredibly tight. The set-list was amazing (except for no Empty Friend!). The sound at the venue was perfect. My personal highlights were Wet Gravity, Saturday Savior, Bernie, and Solaris. And Ken's screaming at the end of Pillowhead gave me head to toe goose-bumps. The whole thing was perfect and it was as close to a religious experience as I'll ever get.

Wish I could go to the Brooklyn show.

Jord
06-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I hope they eventually reach the UK, I haven't had much luck finding gigs I want to go to this year but looking at the footage of Failure online, and having kinda started listening to them more recently, I'd love to see them live. The show looks like a lean as hell, tight solid gig. Maybe the new album will bring more extensive touring.

theimage13
06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
So. Freaking. Good.

Might write more later. But that's the gist of it.

gorny540
06-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Maybe the best video of The Focus so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdSgO18qr1s

perceptionnexus
06-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Maybe the best video of The Focus so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdSgO18qr1s

I love that video they posted from a few days ago when they were working on this song during soundcheck. It's cool to see the writing in progress. It will be cool to see how the song develops from these live shows to the final recorded version.

renholder
06-02-2014, 08:37 PM
The Boston show got taped (full show audio, pretty good quality). I'll post a link when it's available.

The show was amazing.

The merch made me sad. They only had small and XXL shirts, and they had the tree of stars poster, but they were all signed and $75. No space man litho, no $5 posters. The EP sold out by the end of the night, as well.

perceptionnexus
06-02-2014, 10:13 PM
The Boston show got taped (full show audio, pretty good quality). I'll post a link when it's available.

The show was amazing.

The merch made me sad. They only had small and XXL shirts, and they had the tree of stars poster, but they were all signed and $75. No space man litho, no $5 posters. The EP sold out by the end of the night, as well.

Yeah it sucks how dates on the last half of tours really get the short end of the stick with merch sometimes. They were sold out of all of the shirts but the brown one in men's sizes at the gig I was at and that was like the 4th or 5th tour date. Still ended up dropping over $200 though on the stuff they did have. Maybe the numbers of tickets sold exceeded their expectations? Hopefully they'll be stocked and loaded on the next go around. Also hoping for some massive, kick ass pre-order packages when the new album is released.

theimage13
06-03-2014, 06:09 AM

Awesome; looking forward to hearing it! Was I just imagining things, or did Greg's bass need to be taken down a bit? It was usually good to just a hair much when Ken was playing, but on the songs Greg played bass it, it just seemed overpowering.

StopRemembering
06-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Looks like they're filming tonight, saw a crew member set up a camera stage left. Same guy took a pic of my brother's ticket right before we went in (we were first & second on line). Dunno if they've done that for any other shows though, maybe it's nothing.

renholder
06-03-2014, 08:53 PM
https://www.mediafire.com/?0722epbmbi947al

Boston full show audio

gorny540
06-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Looks like they're filming tonight, saw a crew member set up a camera stage left. Same guy took a pic of my brother's ticket right before we went in (we were first & second on line). Dunno if they've done that for any other shows though, maybe it's nothing.

They were filming the line coming in at the NJ show and I saw the same guy filming some of the concert as well. I'm sure we will get some type of live compilation video after the tour is over.

Deadpool
06-05-2014, 12:01 AM
I must say, I'm pretty jealous of those of you that were at the Stone Pony show - looks like it was intimate and awesome. I was there once in my life to see my brother's old band play YEARS ago but never made it back.

However, I was lucky enough to be at last night's Brooklyn show and I'm happy to say that the crowd was extremely warm and enthusiastic towards the band.

Ken: "What's happening Brooklyn? Never played here before. I like it."

Ken: "Sorry it took so long for us to get back together, but y'know, things happen."
Random girl in crowd: "You're here now!"
Ken: "Yes! We are here now."

Random girl: "Thank you!"
Ken: "No, thank you. Seriously. This has been the most gratifying tour I've ever been on."

Greg (walking back on for encore): "Why didn't anyone leave? The show's over." Egg Gregwards cracks me up.

Ken (walking back on for encore - taking in the crowd): "Thank you. This is actually really humbling."

It was so heartwarming to see the band, especially Ken, so visibly moved by how well they were being received when they stepped back on stage. Even my friend who I gave a free extra ticket to remarked "Everyone here is really into this band. More than I expected."

elevenism
06-05-2014, 12:32 AM
I never listened to Failure, but i actually saw them in '97 at Lollapalooza (god, and Perry, know, how to spell it) 97.
I was all full of that amber acid, and they were fucking GREAT.
i am a huge APC fan, and bitch slap me if i'm wrong, but billy from APC was the guitar player for Failure, no?
I can DEFINITELY hear his playing, what with all the octaving and whatnot.
I've been playing guitar for 27 years, and oddly enough, i count billy as one of my bigger influences.

Edit: ok, feel free to bitchslap me. it wasn't billy who was in failure, was it? it was Troy.
That explains the big change in guitar sound as APC went on.
So it was TROY who has influenced me so much.

renholder
06-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I never listened to Failure, but i actually saw them in '97 at Lollapalooza (god, and Perry, know, how to spell it) 97.
I was all full of that amber acid, and they were fucking GREAT.
i am a huge APC fan, and bitch slap me if i'm wrong, but billy from APC was the guitar player for Failure, no?
I can DEFINITELY hear his playing, what with all the octaving and whatnot.
I've been playing guitar for 27 years, and oddly enough, i count billy as one of my bigger influences.

Edit: ok, feel free to bitchslap me. it wasn't billy who was in failure, was it? it was Troy.
That explains the big change in guitar sound as APC went on.
So it was TROY who has influenced me so much.

Actually, Troy wasn't a member of Failure for any of their recordings (except their cover of Enjoy the Silence). I believe he was their guitar tech and they eventually asked him to play live on their later tours. It does seem like he picked up his tone and style from Greg/Ken, though.

virushopper
06-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Actually, Troy wasn't a member of Failure for any of their recordings (except their cover of Enjoy the Silence). I believe he was their guitar tech and they eventually asked him to play live on their later tours. It does seem like he picked up his tone and style from Greg/Ken, though.
Was that him on "Enjoy the Silence"? I am still under the belief it was just Ken, Greg and Kellii on that one off and then Troy came into the picture.

dvdglss
06-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Re listening to Magnified, and I just realized Greg sings backing vocals on Bernie's chorus and it's not Ken overdubed.

Little things you notice so many years later....

perceptionnexus
06-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Studio version of "The Focus" now premiering on 91X. DJ said it will be up on bandcamp here in a bit

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Studio version of "The Focus" now premiering on 91X. DJ said it will be up on bandcamp here in a bit

Indeed!

http://failureband.bandcamp.com/track/the-focus

perceptionnexus
06-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Indeed!

http://failureband.bandcamp.com/track/the-focus

And it kicks ass!

virushopper
06-19-2014, 01:16 AM
Had a great time seeing them tonight. I didn't know it was Ken's birthday and no one told me there was an intermission during the set. I have to say "The Focus" is amazing live. The band is tight as nook.

Overall I enjoyed the show.

FernandoDante
06-19-2014, 01:22 AM
Had a great time seeing them tonight. I didn't know it was Ken's birthday and no one told me there was an intermission during the set. I have to say "The Focus" is amazing live. The band is tight as nook.

Overall I enjoyed the show.
Ken's Facebook says his birthday is in September though. EDIT: I can't see his birthday on FB anymore?

virushopper
06-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Ken's Facebook says his birthday is in September though. EDIT: I can't see his birthday on FB anymore?

There you go.

I'm sure someone will post the video of him blowing the candles.

innerturmoil
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
my L.A. source is now up on DIME.

virushopper
07-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Ken and Greg's guitar rigs from the recent tour:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21068-rig-rundown-failures-ken-andrews

virushopper
07-24-2014, 02:44 PM
New interview: http://www.sunsetstripmusicfestival.com/saturday-920-savior-the-failure-interview/

virushopper
08-12-2014, 03:06 PM
More interviews:

http://smellslikeinfinitesadness.com/ken-andrews-interview-failure-frontman-discusses-bands-reunion/

http://www.gearphoria.com/e-mag/v2n4/#40

fortysixand2
08-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Patiently waiting for these guys to announce more tour dates to fill in the gaps between festival appearances. Even though I'll be seeing them at Riot Fest Chicago, I'd love to catch a headlining show. I can't get enough of them live!

pwing47
08-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Patiently waiting for these guys to announce more tour dates to fill in the gaps between festival appearances.

Same here! I haven't been able to see them headline yet either. Even though I saw them twice at Cinquanta and I'll see them at Riot Fest Denver, I still really want to see a "regular" show by them!

I was unable to see them in Milwaukee, Chicago, or in MN when they toured nearby. Normally I could have hit all 3, but I was out of town for that entire week. It drove me insaane :mad:

Emil Dorbell
11-06-2014, 03:02 AM
Watching bass covers on youtube yesterday I stumbled upon Smoking Umbrellas and got intrigued. I'd heard of Failure before from this board and from the APC cover, but never got around to listening to them. I put on Fantastic Planet around this time yesterday and I've listened to the album non-stop since then. This band just blew me away... I might be onto one of my new favorite bands. I feel like this music takes me somewhere I haven't been before.

dvdglss
11-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Watching bass covers on youtube yesterday I stumbled upon Smoking Umbrellas and got intrigued. I'd heard of Failure before from this board and from the APC cover, but never got around to listening to them. I put on Fantastic Planet around this time yesterday and I've listened to the album non-stop since then. This band just blew me away... I might be onto one of my new favorite bands. I feel like this music takes me somewhere I haven't been before.

that album made me learn to play bass.

I loved it. would play along with it EVERYDAY. except for Heliotopic. still havent quite figured it out and havent tried to yet.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
"Heliotropic" is one fucking fantastic piece of music. Even the live version on the Tree of Stars EP is fuckin' siiick, the way it just suddenly STOPS at the end? Goosebumps every time, but not nearly as amazing as it was hearing in person for the first time in Chicago.

EndlessLoveless
12-05-2014, 03:02 PM
"Heliotropic" is one fucking fantastic piece of music. Even the live version on the Tree of Stars EP is fuckin' siiick, the way it just suddenly STOPS at the end? Goosebumps every time, but not nearly as amazing as it was hearing in person for the first time in Chicago.

Heliotropic might be my favorite. But that whole last section of Fantastic Planet, from "the nurse" on is perfect. Fuck i cant say that, the WHOLE album is truly perfect. The soundtrack of my youth. But going back earlier, "small crimes" has that same slow, sludgy feel to it. Another favorite.

perceptionnexus
12-07-2014, 03:09 AM
I'm really curious about the studio process going on for the new record. I love "Come Crashing" and "The Focus" but hope they aren't on the actual album and we get all completely new tracks. I was kinda worried that they were going to follow through with a potential plan Ken mentioned earlier in the summer where they were just going to release the songs one at a time until they were all out and then release the songs together in proper album format. Not exactly the way I way I would want to experience a Failure album as a fan, especially if they happen to be doing another concept record, but they haven't released any more new songs since "the focus" early this summer, so I want to hope that idea didn't pan out.

The only other beef I have with the new stuff we've heard so far is that everything sounds so polished and clean, esp. the drums and vocals. You can really tell how far Ken's ability has come behind the boards since the 90s (hell, just listen to the new Paramore album), but personally I'd like the production with Failure to stay a little more on the grittier side like their earlier stuff was.

virushopper
01-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Open your fucking wallets!!!

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/failure

dvdglss
01-14-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm crying because I am poor :( *weep*

Piko
01-14-2015, 03:37 PM
They got my 10.

perceptionnexus
01-14-2015, 05:21 PM

No kidding, and thank God for school loans! I picked up the album credit with the signed CD, the vinyl, and the t-shirt that we have no idea what even looks like. Best $200 I think I ever spent.

I'm even more jacked now listening to the stuff they were jamming on in the video, which to me sounds wayyyy more like the Failure we know and love than the other two new songs we've heard thus far, which are damn great stuff, don't get me wrong, but "Come Crashing" comes off to me more like an old Autolux track until the build up at the end, and I think "The Focus" sounds literally like it almost could have been lifted off the YOTR album. Can't wait for this sucker to be released!

botley
01-14-2015, 08:01 PM

LOL @ Audiophile WAV option. "Highest quality available, higher than FLAC."

Somebody's certainly high if they think I'm paying that much for a USB stick.

barkhammer
01-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Yeah, the prices for all of the physical options seem way too high for some reason.

gorny540
01-14-2015, 09:54 PM
All about Failure, like this idea. $50 for the vinyl seemed too high, so I went with that $30 shirt + download option, not even knowing what the shirt will look like, god I love this band.

perceptionnexus
01-14-2015, 11:56 PM
I thought the prices were initially a little steep too, but I didn't really mind as they have no label supporting them and, from what I can only assume, are likely using these proceeds to help fund all the merch getting made and giant tour they have planned. Plus, even though it was exclusively a result of a monetary transaction, having my fucking name listed in the album credits of my favorite all-time band is to me, as a rabid fan, truly priceless. I'll fuckin brag about that shit to my grandkids, someday.

armogi
01-15-2015, 12:04 AM
tempted by a signed CD but damn this is all quite pricey, though it includes shipping and that's often close to $10 if you purchase from a band's website, maybe all in all it's not so bad, but definitely more than amazon or else.

StopRemembering
01-15-2015, 12:49 AM
I don't think they're intentionally trying to overcharge but they are definitely off in some of their pricing. $110 for a litho of the album artwork without knowing who designed it or having any idea of what it looks like, $24 for a regular CD & $50 for a USB stick with WAV files on it (lol) is pretty bullshit. But $50 for a double album on 180 gram vinyl, plus shipping cost and insider peeks of the album's recording process is acceptable. A typical double album on quality vinyl costs $30-35, and since they're doing this without a label or distribution it'd be a special order at a local shop (if they could get it at all) so one would probably have to pay $6-8 shipping. Between that & the quality of the 2 new tracks that've come out so far I don't mind spending a little bit more to just get the record directly from the band.

Making people pay $90 extra to have their names included in the credits for the record is the only thing I take umbrage with, IMO everyone who funds this thing should be on that list.

perceptionnexus
01-15-2015, 02:05 PM
The date on my order receipt for new album download says May 26. Likely release date? Hoping for another long opus. How much music can fit on 2 180g vinyl records?

Deepvoid
01-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Love Year of The Rabbit but never had the chance to listen to Failure.
How do they compare?

armogi
01-15-2015, 03:06 PM
The date on my order receipt for new album download says May 26. Likely release date? Hoping for another long opus. How much music can fit on 2 180g vinyl records?

One of the reasons we have so many double LPs these days is loudness war, the other would be that it's always financially more interesting to sell 2LPs at 30/35 than one at 20... Not sure the quantity of music is really what matters in most case, I sure hope this new one is as long as FP but lately artists tends to stick to the minimum 10 tracks + eventually a few bonus ones here and there to entice you to buy the damn thing again.
Looking at these prices I have a feeling this reunion is a bit of a cash grab, anyhow I am more than happy it is happening and will give them my money :)

Piko
01-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Love Year of The Rabbit but never had the chance to listen to Failure.
How do they compare?

Little bit of a difference but not much. Rabbit is a little more straight forward than Failure. Failure is more "space-like" and varied. Ambient Space Rock?

perceptionnexus
01-15-2015, 06:31 PM
One of the reasons we have so many double LPs these days is loudness war, the other would be that it's always financially more interesting to sell 2LPs at 30/35 than one at 20... Not sure the quantity of music is really what matters in most case, I sure hope this new one is as long as FP but lately artists tends to stick to the minimum 10 tracks + eventually a few bonus ones here and there to entice you to buy the damn thing again.
Looking at these prices I have a feeling this reunion is a bit of a cash grab, anyhow I am more than happy it is happening and will give them my money :)

I remember Greg said in an interview last year that he wanted to do the new record in proper album format with segues and everything, so I would imagine its going to have some length to it. This in addition to the fact that they've actually been writing new stuff since they started playing together again around late 2012-early 2013. The entirety of FP aside from a couple guitar riffs was written and recorded in 9 months, so it's entirely possible to have a 60-75 min. record coming out. Remains to be seen, though. I know theyre probably under a lot of pressure to make a record they feel is better than their past work. Whatever this album looks like, I'm satisfied. I only hope beyond hope that they don't call it a self-titled album or something.

armogi
01-15-2015, 07:01 PM
let's geek out for a bit, there is a whiteboard in the video they have on the pledge page, at about 1:55 mark, the list is pretty short...

perceptionnexus
01-15-2015, 08:20 PM
let's geek out for a bit, there is a whiteboard in the video they have on the pledge page, at about 1:55 mark, the list is pretty short...

Oooh good observation! I count five songs listed that look completed and about 13-14 blank spaces. No telling how old the footage is, though, or if they're using that board to show the entire album's progress or just sessions from one studio.

I think I remember Ken or Greg saying around the time when they were on tour last spring that they were already 4-5 songs in to the new album, so this footage could maybe be from back then, or more likely a session since, post-tour.

For some reason my gut is saying the album will be somewhere around 11-13 tracks and somewhere around 50-60 minutes long.

dvdglss
01-16-2015, 10:07 AM
they were recording before the holidays. Kelli posted some pics in the studio and all.

I wonder if this album will feature all Greg on guitar. signs seem to be pointing that way.

Piko
01-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Did they switch on the earlier albums? They did on some live videos. Threw me off a little

dvdglss
01-16-2015, 10:45 AM
yep. after Comfort, they would switch back and forth. Greg is guitar on "Frogs" and "Wet Gravity" "Another Space Song," etc.

Greg's guitar is a little more avant-garde than Ken's, but at the same time not all failure songs really required that.

Either way, not complaining.

Piko
01-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Not at all. Pretty cool to find out it was Greg playing those songs. Always figured it was Ken.

perceptionnexus
01-18-2015, 11:10 PM
http://www.theprp.com/2015/01/17/news/failure-share-more-new-studio-footage-from-sessions-for-next-album/

Looks like a new version of "Petting the Carpet" has been recorded.

I love the song, but not sure about the idea of an old outtake being on the new album. Would be cooler if it was released as a digital bonus track or something. I think somebody mentioned they had said they were considering recording "I See Houses" also, which would be badass.

Also, that Lisa girl who works with the band on their pledge site said recently on there that "The Focus" and "Come Crashing" will likely be on the album.

virushopper
01-27-2015, 11:59 PM
http://www.digmeoutpodcast.com/post/109310952501/kellii-scott

Great in-depth interview

perceptionnexus
01-28-2015, 03:10 PM

Great in-depth interview

Very awesome interview, thanks for posting! Glad to hear the album is going to be a long one

EndlessLoveless
01-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Cannot fucking wait for this. I keep thinking i should pay to have my sons name in the album. That would be really cool to show him when he is older (he is 1). The signed copy will have to do.

Failure is the sound of high school to me. Seeing that nice live EL REY reunion video for the first time....the build up and open with 'another space song'.....i got choked up. What a band and what a way to re introduce youself. Wouldve killed to have been there.

perceptionnexus
02-03-2015, 01:54 PM
There's a good shot of the studio blackboard checklist in the new pledge update, some of the new songs are called "snow angel", "big trash", "atom city queen" and something "amnesia" It's lookin good! Glad to see Greg taking on some bass duties in the photos also, I love his style of playing. :)

EndlessLoveless
02-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Greg is fucking awesome. I love autolux too. Wouldve loved to see him play the joerdie/JMJ/eustis roll (bass/guitars/keys/backing vox duties) with nin live at some point in thier career.

Deadpool
02-03-2015, 03:59 PM
I still haven't pledged! I'll probably end up going for the t-shirt option since I'm broke. I wonder if they'll add more meet & greets when the next tour is booked... that would be worth shelling out for methinks.

One of the only things I'm really hoping for on the new album is more stuff akin to "Solaris 2014" where Ken and Greg shared lead vocals: the overlapping vocal melodies toward the end of the original version are already so good to begin with - but with Ken taking one part and Greg taking the other, it elevated the song to a whole new level. Their singing voices are both so distinct, and in my opinion, happen to sound great together. More of that please!! :D

dvdglss
02-03-2015, 04:12 PM
it was a pleasant surprise to see Greg do vocals.

i remember reading some things post break up on Greg's end was complaining about Ken's singing. i don't think it's a real gripe on his end now, but maybe ken is more open to greg singing the lyrics he actually wrote.

perceptionnexus
02-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I remember that. I think it was back in 2000 in a magazine interview (an article about the ON album, which had just come out) that he felt FP had an emotional hole in it because Ken was singing the vocals to lyrics that he wrote, and Ken didn't understand where he was really coming from with the lyrics or something like that. I think he also said they had a lot of huge arguments over the lyrics back then. I hope Greg does some lead vox on the album too. He sang lead on a few songs on the last Autolux album so maybe itll happen. I also hope on the album we see Ken doing more of the slightly more aggressive style he did on the tour last year on a few songs. Also:

http://www.theprp.com/2015/02/03/news/failure-revisit-another-rare-track-new-album/

I Can See Houses. Yes!! I'm curious how these '91 era songs will fit on the album. If they do go on the new album, that is.

barkhammer
02-03-2015, 08:50 PM

Great in-depth interview

Thanks for turning me onto that podcast. Now have a large backlog of episodes to get through!

Deadpool
02-04-2015, 01:59 PM
This Pro Tools video starring Ken, JMJ, Char Mar, and Mat Mitchell is a dream. I'm not a gearhead in any real way, but watching these musicians (all of whom I love) re-create & update a song from one of fav albums is just too cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3pG2gI2OoQ

Listen to the end result here:

https://soundcloud.com/avid/what-its-like-2014

virushopper
02-25-2015, 11:21 AM
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/failure-and-the-enduring-mystique-of-fantastic-planet

perceptionnexus
02-25-2015, 11:50 AM
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/failure-and-the-enduring-mystique-of-fantastic-planet

That was a damn good interview. I really loved reading Greg's explanation of the concept of FP and where the new album is going thematically with identity loss and self-amnesia. My wife has been struggling very much with that same thing since early last year so it's a concept that really hits home in my life lately.

On a side note, last night I happened to fall asleep watching the Tarkovsky film "The Sacrifice" on Netflix and noticed that the same subject of identity loss is one of the big focuses of the film. Ironically, or maybe not, one of the pieces of dialogue in the beginning is pretty much exactly what Greg was talking about in the interview. It's also the source of the "words words words" sample from the song "Solaris", and I got to wondering if "The Sacrifice" is possibly a muse for the new album in the same way that the "Solaris" and "Fantastic Planet" films were huge inspirations for the FP album.

I'm so fucking excited for this album, it's going to be unreal. And if they're 10 songs in at this point chances are probably good for a release before fall. Also, had no idea this was reissued on vinyl. Pretty sure it is a limited press run so I grabbed a copy right away:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NX5CDP4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

armogi
02-25-2015, 02:18 PM
I wonder what happened to autolux #3 now... soon to be?

perceptionnexus
02-25-2015, 03:51 PM
I wonder what happened to autolux #3 now... soon to be?

It'd be badass if it came out the same time as the failure album and they just toured together.

perceptionnexus
03-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Reports from the band's SXSW show last night indicate the new album is called "the heart is a monster", here's the live debut of "hot traveler":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNZW5gTJ59M

Deadpool
03-21-2015, 03:46 PM
That new song sounds amazingggggg

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Must...pre-order...more...copies...

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Double post - YOU CAN ORDER FANTASTIC PLANET ON VINYL NOW. Spoilers: It's 99 fucking dollars.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/failure

I'm glad that this is coming directly from the band, though - not another random unofficial repressing like with Magnified.

virushopper
03-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Wow $99?! I bought it for $30 something when it was reissued a couple of years ago.

perceptionnexus
03-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Wow $99?! I bought it for $30 something when it was reissued a couple of years ago.

Was that version 180 gram? I bought one back then for $30 also and its still unplayed and packed away in a box in my house as I don't have a hi-fi set up. Just wanted it to have it. Someday I'll have a decent stereo and it'll make sweet love with a nice expensive needle. Someday.

virushopper
03-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Was that version 180 gram? I bought one back then for $30 also and its still unplayed and packed away in a box in my house as I don't have a hi-fi set up. Just wanted it to have it. Someday I'll have a decent stereo and it'll make sweet love with a nice expensive needle. Someday.

Yeah that one. I mainly run my record player to an headphone amp for listening. Can't have speakers in my apartment.

perceptionnexus
03-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Or you could sell it on Ebay for about $500, buy two of the autographed ones the band is selling for $99, and have yourself $300.

Not to mention a sealed, signed copy of Fantastic Planet that will be worth about $1,000 a year from now..

I would love that, but my stupid ethical standards are in the way. :)

dvdglss
03-26-2015, 01:26 PM
wait, that video update is the EPK from when the vinyl was released back in 2010. So what's new exactly with this version?

perceptionnexus
03-26-2015, 01:40 PM
wait, that video update is the EPK from when the vinyl was released back in 2010. So what's new exactly with this version?

Not much, other than this 180 gram version is clear, and there is a 120 gram version also available.

virushopper
03-29-2015, 05:41 PM
The new song "Hot Traveller":

https://soundcloud.com/gravitymetaphorically/failure-hot-traveller

perceptionnexus
03-29-2015, 10:30 PM

I absolutely can't wait to hear it, gonna try my hardest to hold out until I have the album in my hands though! Really hoping they announce a release date in the next week or two.

Emil Dorbell
03-30-2015, 02:19 AM

Fantastic. I suffered through A LOT of shitty nu/core/screamo or whatever they call it nowadays to hear it on bbc last night. So worth it.

dvdglss
03-30-2015, 11:09 AM
man...

this song is so..... FAILURE... more than come crashing or the focus. I love it!

Deadpool
03-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Album title and release date revealed!!!

The Heart Is A Monster is out on June 30th!! 18 fucking songs!!!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/failure-to-release-the-heart-is-a-monster-album-in-june/

perceptionnexus
03-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Methinks this means quite a few kick ass segue songs. Arrrgghhhhhh 3 more months!!

Emil Dorbell
03-30-2015, 03:02 PM
The Heart Is A Monster is out on June 30th!!

That's my god damned 30th birthday. It must be a sign.

armogi
03-30-2015, 03:12 PM
The pledge thing really is a letdown so far, useless updates all along and overpriced merch, and then the album release info + a new song appear out of nowhere and all of us who pledged get 0.
I can't wait to finally listen to the music and forget this circus.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Well, I went into the pledge campaign expecting that, so maybe it's just different for me. But then again, I make enough money to afford to splurge in cases like this one, where I'm basically rubbing money against my computer screen and yelling "take my money!" I was just happy to be able to support something that I NEVER would have guessed I'd get to see alive again, hah.

Besides, for something like this, I WANT minimal updates, but that's just me. I had to give in and listen to "Hot Traveller" JUST to scratch the itch a little, but after this, I doubt I'll listen to any new material before the release date, just to keep myself from making any conclusions before it's all ready. (As sexy and as "Failure" as that song was...)

perceptionnexus
03-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Well, I went into the pledge campaign expecting that, so maybe it's just different for me. But then again, I make enough money to afford to splurge in cases like this one, where I'm basically rubbing money against my computer screen and yelling "take my money!" I was just happy to be able to support something that I NEVER would have guessed I'd get to see alive again, hah.

Besides, for something like this, I WANT minimal updates, but that's just me. I had to give in and listen to "Hot Traveller" JUST to scratch the itch a little, but after this, I doubt I'll listen to any new material before the release date, just to keep myself from making any conclusions before it's all ready. (As sexy and as "Failure" as that song was...)

That's my feelings on it, also. I spent 200 bones for a t-shirt, a signed CD, a digital download, a 180g double vinyl and the liner note thank you credit, and felt it was worth it just to be able to make a small contribution to making something happen I never thought would, let alone for my all time favorite band. I've also briefly met Greg and Ken after Autolux and Year of the Rabbit shows a few years apart from one another back in the day, and they were both really cool and polite guys. Instances like that always go a long way in my book.

I've held off on listening to Hot Traveler and its damn hard not to give in, but I figure the wait for this goes back to 1997 so a few more months won't kill. The pure joy of soaking it all in for the first time with my best friend on June 30 over some cold beers will be worth the wait by far. I really hope there's no leak before then, or I'll have to avoid the internet entirely.

gerbil
03-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Hot Traveller... Wow. I'm glad it's not just a throwback. It's a nice progression from where the band was and where the members have gone.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-02-2015, 07:48 AM
If you haven't seen your pledge e-mail yet, "Hot Traveller" is officially a free download for pledgers! Give them your money if you haven't managed to yet.

perceptionnexus
04-28-2015, 12:45 PM
All the deets on the new album:

http://www.theprp.com/2015/04/28/news/failure-detail-new-album-the-heart-is-a-monster/

After seeing the title "segue 4" my anticipation levels are exploding, almost to a point of being unhealthy

armogi
04-28-2015, 01:12 PM
interesting track listing. 6 segues, come crashing + the focus are on there too. And.... petting the carpet is on golden, i can see houses is an old track too, seems like they recycled some stuff. Not necessarily a bad thing as I am sure it will sound great in the end but I now wonder how much "new stuff" has been written.

perceptionnexus
04-28-2015, 02:05 PM
interesting track listing. 6 segues, come crashing + the focus are on there too. And.... petting the carpet is on golden, i can see houses is an old track too, seems like they recycled some stuff. Not necessarily a bad thing as I am sure it will sound great in the end but I now wonder how much "new stuff" has been written.

Good question. Kelli said in a recent interview that they recorded a couple hours' worth of jam sessions at first that they didn't even end up really using any ideas from because they kept coming up with new ones as they were starting to record the album, so I'm thinking that most of it is newly written material. 6 segues though, and the last one is 4 minutes long! Son of a bitch, this is gonna be a fuckin' ALBUM!

I'm wondering if there will be the requisite "heavy-ass bass riff with a tom beat" song on this record, like "Small Crimes" on Magnified and "Heliotropic" on FP. "Houses" kind of fits that vibe, I guess. Also praying that there's a couple moodier tracks in the vibe of Another Space Song or Blank. "Otherwhere" is the one I'm most curious about at a first glance.

dvdglss
04-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Do you think they re-recorded Focus or Come Crashing? probably not. But already the re-recording of Petting the Carpet (per Kelli's vids) show that its a whole new beast than on Golden. damn man... i wish it was the 30th...

Deadpool
04-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Do you think they re-recorded Focus or Come Crashing? probably not. But already the re-recording of Petting the Carpet (per Kelli's vids) show that its a whole new beast than on Golden. damn man... i wish it was the 30th...

I'm predicting that The Focus and Come Crashing will be largely identical, except that they'll be mixed into the context of the album with transitions a lá Fantastic Planet (especially with Come Crashing being sandwiched between 2 segues).

Also, Petting The Carpet and I Can See Houses are so old school that I can't imagine how much better and different they'll sound now with Ken & Greg's combined studio experience/wizardry at a peak. :D

perceptionnexus
04-29-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm predicting that The Focus and Come Crashing will be largely identical, except that they'll be mixed into the context of the album with transitions a lá Fantastic Planet (especially with Come Crashing being sandwiched between 2 segues).

Also, Petting The Carpet and I Can See Houses are so old school that I can't imagine how much better and different they'll sound now with Ken & Greg's combined studio experience/wizardry at a peak. :D

Exactly. The only thing I fear that might be missing from the originals is the tone of Greg's old fretless bass on "houses", which to me was was the biggest element of that song, from the live version on the Golden DVD anyway. In the studio clips Kelli posted he's tracking it on a Fender P bass.

As a bassist, I've actually been pretty curious since they started again as to why Greg doesn't use that old silver Wal anymore. It would suck if ended up selling it or something. That thing sounded so unique and incredible.

virushopper
05-02-2015, 02:44 AM
Just got back from tonight's gig.

The new songs that were played tonight is:
Hot Traveler - Exactly like the studio version
Counterfeit Sky - This song has a very "Magnified"-era vibe. Clean vocals with the feedback.
Mulholland Drive - A dark ballad. Keyboard, drums and guitar. Greg and Ken share vocals on this track.
One other song that I am not sure what the title is. I believe I heard "(something) Africa" in the lyrics or something. I really don't know the name but it was heavy. Like mid-tier "Sargent" heaviness. The ending is intense.

Other tidbits:
Not a single song from the first album tonight.
The band was very tight tonight.
No speakers on stage, Fractals all the way!
Small crowd.
Balcony of the theater was not open.
Lot's of hot chicks around.
Segue 2 was on tape.

And sorry armogi I did not see Greg at the end of the night. Heck non of them were hanging at the end of it.

perceptionnexus
05-02-2015, 06:52 AM

Counterfeit Sky - This song has a very "Magnified"-era vibe. Clean vocals with the feedback.
Mulholland Drive - A dark ballad. Keyboard, drums and guitar. Greg and Ken share vocals on this track.
One other song that I am not sure what the title is. I believe I heard "(something) Africa" in the lyrics or something. I really don't know the name but it was heavy. Like mid-tier "Sargent" heaviness. The ending is intense.

Other tidbits:
Small crowd.
Segue 2 was on tape.

And sorry @armogi (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4352) I did not see Greg at the end of the night. Heck non of them were hanging at the end of it.
Thanks so much for the post, virus. I was waiting for someone to report on the show. Could the mystery song be "macaque" off of the comfort lp? That's the only one I know that fits the description

Jord
05-02-2015, 08:43 AM

I would imagine they've both (The Focus & Come Crashing) been remastered in the context of the album, the quality of recording of them previously wasn't on the scale that Hot Traveler is and I can't imagine a dip in quality throughout the album like that.

virushopper
05-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Thanks so much for the post, virus. I was waiting for someone to report on the show. Could the mystery song be "macaque" off of the comfort lp? That's the only one I know that fits the description
You are right that was the song I heard last night. Clearly I need to listen to "Comfort" again.

Emil Dorbell
05-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Other tidbits:
Small crowd.
Segue 2 was on tape.

And sorry @armogi (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4352) I did not see Greg at the end of the night. Heck non of them were hanging at the end of it.

Thanks for this, very interesting! I'm still holding out for them to show up in Sweden. I'll gladly take any reports from shows overseas until that day comes :)

Landshark
05-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Found a clip of Counterfeit Sky, sounds great:

https://youtu.be/sB9T9qpOnUc

dvdglss
05-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Kelli and his wife really are some of the best people lol.

virushopper
05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Someone wrote a review from Friday's show:

https://audioeclectica.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/live-review-failure-at-the-ventura-theater/

virushopper
05-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Make what you will on this:

http://i.imgur.com/pIzzeHP.jpg

dvdglss
05-05-2015, 02:02 PM
I dunno... i still see June 30th fulfillment date.

I have a question about pledges though, if i picked jsut the audio download and want the CD now, can i upgrade paying the difference or do i have to pay full price again?

anyone else know?

thanks.

perceptionnexus
05-05-2015, 03:36 PM
I dunno... i still see June 30th fulfillment date.

I have a question about pledges though, if i picked jsut the audio download and want the CD now, can i upgrade paying the difference or do i have to pay full price again?

anyone else know?

thanks.

I would just send a note to pledge music and make the request. They were cool about switching my tshirt size after I ordered so maybe. I generally always advocate ordering directly from a band, but given your situation if pledge music can't help, the cd is listed on amazon now for $13.99, and in my experience prices on there usually drop before release date.

May 26 would be awesome, even if its just the digital download release. Not gonna assume anything at this point but seems like Kelli kinda confirmed it

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-13-2015, 06:54 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/05/failures_new_al.html

New little featurette thing! Part 1 of 6. I'm about to read through it myself, so I don't know what all's there yet, but I skimmed it and noticed some new tour dates I hadn't even seen mentioned until now.

May 18 THE GARAGE London, United Kingdom
Jul 02 MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMN (Liberty Hall) OMGWTFUCK (Lawrence, KS)
Jul 07 LC Pavilion Columbus, OH
Jul 10 Stage AE Pittsburgh, PA
Jul 12 Ottawa Bluesfest 2015 Ottawa, Canada
Aug 8-9 The Wrecking Ball Atlanta, GA (w/ Descendents, Judge, many more)

Edit: Looks like it's a sort of "reverse timeline" of the making of the album, so...safe to assume there are gonna be some good bits in there.

Gray Grimez
05-13-2015, 07:04 PM
So on monday, being a UK failure fan, that thing I never thought would happen is gonna happen. Gonna see them live.

I might die during another space song.. Haha..

perceptionnexus
05-13-2015, 10:25 PM
So on monday, being a UK failure fan, that thing I never thought would happen is gonna happen. Gonna see them live.

Have a great time and enjoy, they're an amazing live experience!

I'm kind of baffled by the dates announced thus far. I bet they've got a lot more touring planned for the next year, but why go all the way to europe right now for only one gig?

virushopper
05-15-2015, 11:18 AM

Dude it even got better now that Queen Kwong is opening.

Don't miss her set too.

virushopper
05-18-2015, 04:25 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/05/read_part_2_of.html

perceptionnexus
05-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks for posting that link! I'm really enjoying these articles so far and really liked what Greg had to say about sequencing. Sigh.........still over a month to wait...

dvdglss
05-18-2015, 07:13 PM
It's really interesting to see their dynamics. Greg focused on sequence and ken more of the mix. I'm guessing by the sounds of it the same on Fantastic...

ViN
05-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Failure announced a date in Cleveland. Finally going to see another band I thought I'd never see in a million years, the last concert like that was Deltron 3030 last year. Always awesome to see these somewhat obscure groups come back that I missed out on by being a kid in their prime.

Still haven't seen Nine Inch Nails live.

EndlessLoveless
05-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Holyshit just preordered tickets with vip package for Mojoes in Joliet Illinois. Its about 20 mins from my house. This will be epic!

dvdglss
05-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Holyshit just preordered tickets with vip package for Mojoes in Joliet Illinois. Its about 20 mins from my house. This will be epic!

Lucky! wish they could come down to florida

StopRemembering
05-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Got a pair of tickets for Syracuse, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the listing for the show. The Westcott only holds 700 people, it's gonna be so much fun to see them in such a tiny place.

perceptionnexus
05-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Dammit, was hoping for the digital album download to be released today for the pledgers, no such luck, and the date on the order site for it has changed to June 30. Maybe if the album leaks they will let us have it early? :)

virushopper
05-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Dammit, was hoping for the digital album download to be released today for the pledgers, no such luck, and the date on the order site for it has changed to June 30. Maybe if the album leaks they will let us have it early? :)
I think that date was the original date for release but I guess with the logistics of producing the physical product and what not, they pushed it back.

perceptionnexus
05-31-2015, 02:47 PM
"mulholland drive" now available to download for pledgers on pledgemusic, and will be available for streaming to general public later in the week. As expected, it's totally outstanding. Loving the 70s floyd vibe on it.

dvdglss
06-01-2015, 01:20 PM
It feels very Autolux-y since Greg is singing on it (of course), but awesome song either way.

virushopper
06-08-2015, 12:27 PM
I don't know if anyone has noticed on Twitter but Failure and HUM are touring together this August!