PDA

View Full Version : A Warm Place Live?

ZASmusic
10-16-2013, 05:05 PM
I was pretty excited to see A Warm Place get played live in Brooklyn the other night...

So I was kinda bummed during the show to find out that A Warm Place isn't being played live at all. It is sequenced and plays while the band go offstage for 3 minutes while the stage hands switch gear and Trent switches shirts.

From where I was sitting, it was obvious that there were no musicians onstage playing, it was a backing track and a ton of fog.

icecream
10-16-2013, 06:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUKPHdQKmE This is the best video I can find of it. I can't tell when they leave, but near the end, the lights shine and that's when they appear to come back to make it look like they were there the whole time. What did you see from where you were sitting?

gorny540
10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
looks like it's just Alessandro playing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0nfTYLN6o8

Kiki2u
10-16-2013, 08:22 PM
looks like it's just Alessandro playing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0nfTYLN6o8

Thats what I assumed..looked like Alessandro was still on stage. And makes sense..

gladcarrot
10-16-2013, 08:23 PM
When the smoke started to clear in Detroit, I could see Alessandro, but I can't confirm he was there the whole time.

orestes
10-16-2013, 08:35 PM
At the St. Louis show, I had a clear shot of the right side of the stage, watching band members and tech come and go. Alas, A Warm Place isn't played live. It kind of bummed me out too. :(

RJK
10-16-2013, 08:57 PM
So does that mean NYC and LA in 09 are the only times it has actually been played live?

Joy Prevention Hotline
10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Huh. I was squinting through the smoke at Uncasville trying to see who was playing and it looked like Allesandro and maybe Pino were there. But that could have been toward the end when the band was starting to come back onstage…

At least it doesn't sound like they just ripped it from TDS.

kevinbeetle
10-16-2013, 09:22 PM
i took this last last night in Newark from the right side of the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVLkdfMetuk

orestes
10-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Hmm interesting. You can definitely see Alessandro onstage. I was in attendance at the start of the tour so maybe they were still working the kinks out live (lack of rehearsal time? etc.)

reseen_lamenti
10-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Those synth textures sounds like a Sonoio remix of A Warm Place. Ally is probably out there supervising and adding his own layers to a backing track.

screwdriver
10-16-2013, 10:54 PM
it definitely sounded like a *new* version of it, even if pre-recorded. it sounded faster, the textures were different, etc. I dont know if it was played "live" so to speak but I thought I saw Ally up there the whole time -- I could see him doing a version with the octatrack and analog four

Tomp252
10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Probably my favorite part of the show. Amazing

frankie teardrop
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
i'm pretty sure alessandro is playing all or most of it between his various sequencers/samplers/synths. he was on stage for the whole song, and the recording is noticeably different, pad-wise, from the album version.

slave2thewage
10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Hey, at least you guys have heard MY FAVOURITE SONG EVER at a show.

SM Rollinger
10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Fully or partially sequenced, I still got goosebumps and teared up like a wimp when it was played.

frankie teardrop
10-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Hey, at least you guys have heard MY FAVOURITE SONG EVER at a show.

for someone who always gloats about those uk/we're in this together shows, let us have this one, huh?

EDIT: girrrrl you know it's true.

nooneimportant
10-17-2013, 06:53 PM
So does that mean NYC and LA in 09 are the only times it has actually been played live?

I would say the only time they played the original version, yes. The one during Tension seems to be different.

R-Dot-Yung
10-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I couldn't see if anyone was on stage or not but whatever is being played this tour whether it's Allesandro or an MP3 is new and beautiful. Hope that it gets a proper release somewhere somehow it's wonderful.

sick among the pure
10-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Pre-recorded, live synths done by Ally, or the full band, it's just awesome to experience (not just hear it, but fucking experience it, with the lights and the fog and the atmosphere of being at the show) A Warm Place. Sure, I would love the live performance like at the 2 Wave Goodbye TDS shows, but I would rather have this than nothing.

GoodSoldier333
10-17-2013, 08:15 PM
I asked him on twitter if its his own edit.

"yes. A mixture of original elements, prophet 5 a and Buchla Music Easel."

fillow
10-18-2013, 01:34 AM
I would say the only time they played the original version, yes. The one during Tension seems to be different.
RJK meant that in 2009 they played it live on instruments. Entirely.
Robin on slide guitar, Justin on upright bass and Ilan on synth, while TR took a break offstage. Need to rewatch though, I may be mistaken about someone.

Kiki2u
10-18-2013, 08:31 AM
RJK meant that in 2009 they played it live on instruments. Entirely.
Robin on slide guitar, Justin on upright bass and Ilan on synth, while TR took a break offstage. Need to rewatch though, I may be mistaken about someone.
That's how I remember it too...but my memory could be a bit foggy as I was in mid-heart attack.

slave2thewage
10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
for someone who always gloats about those uk/we're in this together shows, let us have this one, huh?

EDIT: girrrrl you know it's true.
I suffered through Ladytron, I deserved them!

We'll probably get it over here, if 2014 is arenas. If not, they should play it anyway. Perhaps Josh can twerk and then all my dreams will come true in one fell swoop.

frankie teardrop
10-18-2013, 01:16 PM
yeah, i think he legitmately enjoys having it as a staple this tour- probably didn't realize how important it was to some people until the wave goodbye shows. it's a harsh transition after 'running' but it works so well into 'somewhat damaged.'

i will try to restrain myself somewhat in saying so, but josh was very friendly and personable and very easy to talk to. we chatted about the chameleons for a while.

ps- we specifically chose the show where the faint was headlining over ladytron. blew them off the stage, as expected...

slave2thewage
10-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Remember the online rage about all the off-beat clapping during A Warm Place during the TDS shows? That was glorious.

frankie teardrop
10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
i overheard people bitching about the song at both webster & barclays.

slave2thewage
10-18-2013, 01:28 PM
i overheard people bitching about the song at both webster & barclays.
These people can get the fuck out of this fandom. Were they, perchance, the type who wanted Closer and more stuff from Broken?

TheyCallMeDrug
10-18-2013, 02:32 PM
bitch about this song at webster makes no sense. it was the whole album...

frankie teardrop
10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
that's peoples for you, though.

Wish9
10-18-2013, 09:00 PM
This has probably been covered above, but I had a clear view of the stage during A Warm Place in Toronto and Ally is absolutely the only member of the band on stage during the entirety of the song.

trollmanen
10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Given that it sounds like the Buchla and that Ally is on stage for this song, I'm guessing he is actually playing it. You'd be surprised how that one synth can sound with all the effects pedals he's running it through, so it could be actually live.

slave2thewage
10-21-2013, 12:51 AM
I hope we get a studio version, like we got with Ally's remix of The Spaces In Between that HTDA played live.

r_k_f
10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
it does sound slightly different in the last Pa. show then it did it previous shows, Ally must be doing something..

r_k_f
10-21-2013, 09:28 AM
I hope we get a studio version, like we got with Ally's remix of The Spaces In Between that HTDA played live.
i'd be very happy with another round of Soundboard Rehearsal tracks...

halo33
10-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Let me just add that this version, hearing live for the first time in Montreal almost had me in tears. The song always has had an effect on me, but I wasn't really prepared for it. So many memories attached to that song. The way the fog and the lights come up with it was very powerful.

I have to say, the only thing I didn't like, was that it was preceded by "Running".
Thankfully it was followed by Somewhat Damaged, which made up for it.

theimage13
10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Let me just add that this version, hearing live for the first time in Montreal almost had me in tears. The song always has had an effect on me, but I wasn't really prepared for it. So many memories attached to that song. The way the fog and the lights come up with it was very powerful.

I more or less broke down when I heard it start. I went into the show knowing a lot about the production, but nothing about the setlist. I've been to hundreds upon hundreds of shows, but that single moment is now among the most powerful for me.

NINfan04
10-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Here's A Warm Place straight into Somewhat Damaged from 10/19/13 Bryce Jordan Center. I only noticed Alessandro Cortini on stage. I think with all the lights and energy the band gives throughout the show, they deserve a break.

http://videobam.com/aqkut

sick among the pure
10-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Trent just needs to put on a dry shirt at that point.

ZASmusic
10-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the observant replies on this, everyone.

Yeah it definitely seems like Ally is playing the main synth parts to A Warm Place live over a sequenced track. The version they are playing on this tour sounds very Philip Glass to me.

Alvetica
11-09-2013, 06:40 PM
There was a lot of fog and smoke, but I think I saw Ilan show up in the middle of the song. He had a stringed instrument.

r_k_f
11-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I would like Trent to one day say... "this next one is called Crystal Japan"...

Omega
11-15-2013, 03:53 AM
I am so bummed I missed NIN this tour around, just for that reason. But I *think*, not sure, he played it during the Fragility 2.0 show I went to. Those were the days!!!:D.

RJK
11-15-2013, 05:55 AM
I am so bummed I missed NIN this tour around, just for that reason. But I *think*, not sure, he played it during the Fragility 2.0 show I went to. Those were the days!!!:D.

If you are referring to "A Warm Place" it was never played live until Webster Hall in 2009.

TheRealNs1
11-15-2013, 03:17 PM
With each passing day my anger for the 2 people next to me who kept talking during "A Warm Place" increases.

icecream
12-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Is it just me or was the main part of A Warm Place not played live? I couldn't hear it in Van.

Sandy Phimester
12-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I think some parts of the plucky/string sounding instrument thing aren't played? not sure though, I only heard it live the one show, and was so excited that I was hearing this live that I sorta didn't notice until someone else mentioned it later. I just remember me saying "I've been waiting half my life to see this song live". :)

icecream
12-03-2013, 12:32 AM
I think some parts of the plucky/string sounding instrument thing aren't played? not sure though, I only heard it live the one show, and was so excited that I was hearing this live that I sorta didn't notice until someone else mentioned it later. I just remember me saying "I've been waiting half my life to see this song live". :)
hahaha, That was my reaction too. Didn't even think of it until after the show.

Sandy Phimester
12-03-2013, 12:33 AM
It was indeed a massive highlight of the night for me... no matter what. So many memories attached to that song.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I assume that the replacement for the "plucky" part — that absolutely haunting synth line over the top — is what Allesandro is playing on stage. Could be wrong about that. But live or taped, that part alone justifies putting it in the show.