PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam

Pages : [1] 2

redshoewearer
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Celebrating 20 years, and having a big year this year. Anyone seen the PJ20 movie?

piggy
12-01-2011, 11:00 PM
I bought the DVD and am getting ready to watch it again soon. Not a ton of info that a big fan doesn't already know, but it's still a powerful film and I really liked it. I hear a lot of non or casual fans have liked it a lot, too. I only got the standard DVD, so I need to see the two bonus discs from the deluxe at some point.

onthewall2983
12-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I saw it on PBS. I wasn't as moved or involved in it as I was the George Harrison doc, but Crowe is not on the level Scorsese is. I should qualify this by saying I am a casual PJ fan and do admire their place in Rock history, but overall I found it a bit underwhelming.

Panopticon
12-02-2011, 12:53 AM
PJ20 just got added to Instant Streaming on Netflix.

redshoewearer
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I saw it on PBS. I wasn't as moved or involved in it as I was the George Harrison doc, but Crowe is not on the level Scorsese is. I should qualify this by saying I am a casual PJ fan and do admire their place in Rock history, but overall I found it a bit underwhelming.

There were actually a few PJ fans on their board that felt this way. Some felt there should have been a little less Andy Wood material for example, maybe a bit about Dave Abruzzese's departure, so I can see where you are coming from. I am a pretty hardcore fan, myself, and enjoyed the movie but can see the shortcomings some people commented on. I did think the drunken MTV Singles promotion footage was pretty funny, and I liked that Jeff had plenty to say. Since Ed is the frontman, you barely ever hear anything from Jeff.

And on other PJ rumors - there is are rumors that they are touring in 2012, but given that they have had shows every year since about 2000, it is probably not too far fetched.

Kid Charlemagne
12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I thought the doc was excellent. I really loved how they actually had a nice chunk of Mother Love Bone in there. I also didn't realize how the Roskilde Tragedy nearly broke them up.

fortheloveofgod
12-04-2011, 08:13 AM
PJ 20 rocked. It was like reliving my teenage grunge years.

redshoewearer
12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I thought the doc was excellent. I really loved how they actually had a nice chunk of Mother Love Bone in there. I also didn't realize how the Roskilde Tragedy nearly broke them up.

Have you ever seen the Daughter/Its Okay from Touring Band 2000? It is in the string of shows they did after Roskilde and is very powerful, particularly the Its Okay part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNKnFmIIh2k

Kid Charlemagne
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Have you ever seen the Daughter/Its Okay from Touring Band 2000? It is in the string of shows they did after Roskilde and is very powerful, particularly the Its Okay part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNKnFmIIh2k

You know? I have Touring Band, and I've never watched it. I got it for Christmas one year and have always forgotten about it. After seeing this, I may need to view it tonight. I do however watch Imagine in Cornice when I'm cleaning the house and such.

DS23
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I kind of hope the full Singles Special show they filmed but never aired surfaces at some point if it hasn't yet. 'Fuck mtv! Fuck all tv!' 'Don't be violent! Fuck you! Fuck you!' Also that ridiculous yellow shirt EV was wearing....

onthewall2983
12-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I kind of hope the full Singles Special show they filmed but never aired surfaces at some point if it hasn't yet. 'Fuck mtv! Fuck all tv!' 'Don't be violent! Fuck you! Fuck you!' Also that ridiculous yellow shirt EV was wearing....

I actually saw it pop on dimeadozen recently.

ltrandazzo
12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Merged both PJ threads into one.

Just watched the PJ20 movie on Netflix and ordered the Blu-Ray. No other band makes me wish I was a teenager when they first hit more than Pearl Jam. I've seen Eddie play here in town back in July but haven't seen the entire band yet. I'd have to say that if one band finally got me to head overseas for a trip with a main purpose, it would be them.

Reznor2112
12-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Bought the 3 Disc Limited Edition Blu-ray box set of PJ20. Totally worth the $65. Its funny because now they are selling for $400+ on ebay.

redshoewearer
12-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Merged both PJ threads into one.

Just watched the PJ20 movie on Netflix and ordered the Blu-Ray. No other band makes me wish I was a teenager when they first hit more than Pearl Jam. I've seen Eddie play here in town back in July but haven't seen the entire band yet. I'd have to say that if one band finally got me to head overseas for a trip with a main purpose, it would be them.

You must go! But I bet there will be some U.S. shows in 2012. The Northeast loves them and they love the Northeast and I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly, Boston, NYC, and/or Newark or a subset of these.

PJ doing Breath at MSG '10. I was at that - nice Mike solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_jwZ2cXWY&feature=related

And here is one of my favorite songs and this is a good performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklXRgV_PQg&feature=related State of Love and Trust from Boston 10

Just one more - PJ covering Ain't Talkin Bout Love Hartford 10- I was at this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcNjoM3kr8M&feature=related

Reznor2112
04-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Complete HD Lollapalooza 2013 show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=orgWG3clWlo&NR=1

LaneSax
05-31-2013, 10:27 PM
New single "Mind Your Manners" out July 16th!

thevoid99
05-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Sweet! More good music coming.

redshoewearer
06-02-2013, 10:43 AM
New single "Mind Your Manners" out July 16th!

That is good timing. They are playing in London Ontario that night, and I will be there. I'm guessing we'll get to hear it!

Kid Charlemagne
07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
New tour dates up. Looks like I'll be able to catch them in Dallas.

LaneSax
07-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Just heard Mind Your Manners on BBC1, did not expect such a heavy track!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pj-images.modlife.com/store_images/1/large/PJ Lightning Bolt.jpg

New album, "Lightning Bolt" out October 15th!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TIH0GIPQv-E#at=14

Besides that, anyone else check out Stone's new album "Moonlander"? I really like it, it's as good as Bayleaf.

henryeatscereal
07-11-2013, 03:00 PM
The complete track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhODYyZVL6Y&feature=youtu.be

Sounds great!

elevenism
07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
WOW. Punk. Crazy!

I fucking LOVE pearl jam. But i lost track of them after vitalogy. I've been on a PJ kick ever since i saw PJ20.

elevenism
07-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Complete HD Lollapalooza 2013 show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=orgWG3clWlo&NR=1

Killer! Thanks!

Space Suicide
07-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Not a bad single at all.

thefragile_jake
07-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Interesting single! I really dig it. I can honestly say I've never really listened to a full album of theirs in years. I used to work at Target and I always heard Fixer every time I walked by the electronics section and I really, really liked that song. I think it spoke to me at the time because my life wasn't in a good spot and I loved the "fight to get it back again" line.

Will be checking this album out for sure.

LaneSax
07-12-2013, 04:29 AM
it's a good single and I hope the album has more of Stone's influence which has been missing in the last albums.

I been enjoying "Moonlander" more than I have of "Avocado" and "Backspacer" combined.

skip niklas
07-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Anyone know if they'll be streaming or broadcasting the Wrigley Field show?

themethatyouknow
07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Can't wait for their next album "get off my lawn"!

But seriously, I've thoroughly enjoyed PJ's third(finally comfortable in their own skin) act. Not as much as the teenaged me enjoyed TEN, but still quite a lot, and the new single just adds to that.

ComaAlpha
07-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Just one question for you all, what would "A Dollar Short" sound like if Andy would've sang to it instead of Eddie?

redshoewearer
07-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Anyone know if they'll be streaming or broadcasting the Wrigley Field show?

I was at the London show on 7/16 when you posted, and then didn't make it back to this thread. I hope you got to hear it on the Earthcam posted outside of Wrigley. I listened to it on the archive (they save 24 hour's worth) - I don't know if you saw that the show had to be shut down for 2.5+ hrs due to weather. They started back up at almost midnight and played till 2am! I did get to see Mind Your Manners in London, and they introduced 2 new songs at Wrigley - Lightning Bolt and I think the name was Future Days - you can find footage from the show online.

allegro
07-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I was there, it was nuts. PJ was to go on at 7:30 but started at 8:15. We were in the upper deck, they played 7 songs then said they had to evacuate everybody on the field due to the storm heading our way. That was at 9 pm. Roadies covered all the equipment with plastic. We waited around for more than 30 minutes, then the storm hit. We waited around until 11:15 pm, we'd been there since 6:15. Another storm started hitting. We left. We were almost home when we heard that PJ went back on at midnight.

This pic is when they were evacuating the field.

redshoewearer
07-21-2013, 08:42 PM
^^^ That's a wild picture. Do you wish you had stayed? I am sorry you missed the rest of it. That guy who lost his wife, that Ed dedicated Come Back to is on the Pearl Jam board. I think overall I'm glad I went to the London show though - they played some rarities such as Sad and Alone.

allegro
07-21-2013, 08:52 PM
yeah the Come Back dedication was before the storm hit, was nice.

I also got to sing along to Release. :-)

I wish they would have started on time, then we would have seen more before they evacuated. I wish they would have kept us informed; the Wrigley curfew is at 11, nobody was sure if the neighborhood would let them play a lot later than that. The last Tweet from PJ was at 11, nobody knew what was going on. I had a sick dog at home with a sitter. Yeah I was bummed, but I couldn't stay, luckily I live in the North Shore not too far north of the city so I could get home by midnight.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/07/live-review-pearl-jam-at-chicagos-wrigley-field-719/

allegro
07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
This is before the evacuation ...

skip niklas
07-22-2013, 12:35 AM
I was at the London show on 7/16 when you posted, and then didn't make it back to this thread. I hope you got to hear it on the Earthcam posted outside of Wrigley. I listened to it on the archive (they save 24 hour's worth) - I don't know if you saw that the show had to be shut down for 2.5+ hrs due to weather. They started back up at almost midnight and played till 2am! I did get to see Mind Your Manners in London, and they introduced 2 new songs at Wrigley - Lightning Bolt and I think the name was Future Days - you can find footage from the show online.

Thanks, a couple tapers shared their tapes Saturday on various sites so I grabbed one. I actually live about 30 miles west of the field and had friends at the show, so when the storm hit me I gave them a heads up it was coming and 5 minutes later they emptied the field. Sounds like the ones who stuck around got a great show.

allegro
07-22-2013, 01:22 AM
there were a LOT of people who stuck around, a lot of the beer vendors ran out of beer.

they didn't do the entire planned set list, the Wrigley neighborhood association extended only until 2 am

LaneSax
08-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Mind Your Manners video out tomorrow!

http://instagram.com/p/dUkwL4pnCn/

LaneSax
08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQYYavheUA

Simple and effective video. love it!

ComaAlpha
08-23-2013, 11:24 AM
All I have to say is that this is great for the big names from Seattle. King Animal comes out, less than 2 years later Chains come out with Devil Put Dinosaurs Here and now Pearl Jam with a new album. The only thing that can cap this off is if the new STP album (if they make one) would somehow have Scott's voice on it instead Buster Chokington. *why can't I break up my thoughts into separate paragraphs? It refuses to let me use my enter button.* I've never seen them live, but I have seen plenty of enough footage. Bought Live At The Garden the same day I bought Bowie's Reality Tour. Didn't have the setlist I was hoping for, but Daughter/Own Two Hands was awesome. Yellow Ledbetter was awesome. Baba O'Riley was awesome. Black was not so awesome. Every time I get to hear a Mother Love Bone tune is a treat for me, so Crown of Thorns was awesome for me. It's just a great concert. If any of you don't have it. Grab it.

Digital Twilight
08-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Video is OK - It's just Do the Evolution without all the anger really. The last 2 albums have been very hit and miss and i'm thinking this one will be the same. With the exception of touring (amazing band live) they don't really excite me much anymore.

ninedead
08-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Video is OK - It's just Do the Evolution without all the anger really. wasnt that video 100% animated? dont get the comparison unless you are comparing songs then it sorta makes sense even though i see this song on vitalogy not yield.

Digital Twilight
08-23-2013, 01:42 PM
wasnt that video 100% animated? dont get the comparison unless you are comparing songs then it sorta makes sense even though i see this song on vitalogy not yield.

I mean the song and subject matter. Not necessarily the style but the purpose and its message.

elevenism
08-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Pear Jam, Pear Jam, Pearl Jam...one of my first loves. PJ ten at 11 and nin broken at 12.
I always wondered as a youngster which bands would be the pink floyds, the led zeppelins, the doors...of our generation.
Pearl Jam.
Fuck yes.

LaneSax
09-17-2013, 10:11 PM
fans are really hating on Sirens but I don't think it's that bad

http://popload.blogosfera.uol.com.br/2013/09/17/ouca-sirens-novo-single-lindao-do-pearl-jam/

LaneSax
09-18-2013, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQXP6TDtW0w

cahernandez
09-18-2013, 10:46 PM

http://popload.blogosfera.uol.com.br/2013/09/17/ouca-sirens-novo-single-lindao-do-pearl-jam/

Honestly I don't know what's so bad about it, I've had it on repeat for the last 30 minutes. I think it's awesome. Thanks for posting the link to the video.

Digital Twilight
09-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Huge PJ fan but this is terrible, just laughably terrible.

thevoid99
09-20-2013, 08:55 PM
OK, I know why fans are upset about it but seriously for anyone who has listened to rock music for the past 15-20 years. This is what a rock ballad should be. It's very simple and direct. Eddie's voice is clearly at the top of his game and he's not being sappy. Bands like Crud, Nickelturd, 3 Dull Dudes, and the rest of these godawful post-grunge bullshit bands should listen and learn. Unfortunately, they're just too dumb and bloated to realize what it takes to make a good rock song.

MONKEYlovesYOU
09-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I...I just dont even know what to think

It's not terrible

It's not..umm...

Who are these guys and what have they done with the real members of Pearl Jam

LaneSax
09-26-2013, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHE1A_C9QQ

scotty79
10-08-2013, 01:39 AM
New albums streaming on itunes now, I'm about half way through it and it seems pretty solid so far

poinoup
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Damn good little rock album here. Really digging "Getaway", "Infallible", "Pendulum", "Swallowed Whole" and "Let the Records Play". In fact, after "Sirens" (the only real dull track on here), it goes on a great run of tracks.

Another solid effort from the boys. I'd go 8/10.

It really hasn't felt that long since Backspacer, though, has it?

Digital Twilight
10-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Some good, some average and some awful. Overall a decent album but nothing special. Nothing I really love but Yellow Moon, Infallible, Pendulum and My Father's Son are great songs.

r_z
10-18-2013, 01:55 PM
so here's a nice little article revisioning the band's catalogue:

Ten (1991) It's Pearl Jam's best-selling record, it's the one that even people who don't care about Pearl Jam know fairly well, and it's generally regarded as the most essential entry in its catalogue. All of this seems just. Ten has Pearl Jam's signature song ("Alive"), its most affecting song ("Release"), its most popular deep cut ("Black"), its best song to hear live ("Porch"), its most iconic/caricatured song ("Jeremy"), its dumbest fun song ("Even Flow"), and its funnest dumb song ("Once"). If Pearl Jam's career had abruptly ended in 1992, it could still draw a couple thousand people at any county fair in the country tonight based solely on this album. PROPERLY RATED.

Vs. (1993) I'm strongly tempted to argue that Vs. is underrated, since it seems to be somewhat overshadowed retrospectively by later, more cultish entries in Pearl Jam's discography. (More on that in a second.) I suppose if this were 1993, I'd argue that Vs. is overrated, since it sold the most copies in its first week of release (just over 950,000) of any album ever at the time. But in reality the truth about Vs. lies somewhere in the middle. The density of Pearl Jam classics on Vs. (most notably "Daughter," "Rearviewmirror," and "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town") makes it attractive for newcomers to check out after Ten, and it will always be the second most overly familiar album for hard-core fans. This is exactly how Vs. should be regarded: as the Pepsi to Ten's Coke. Vs. actually sounds better than Ten, due to the reliable physicality of Brendan O'Brien's production. But the songwriting lags slightly behind, if only because of the occasional clunkiness of Eddie Vedder's political commentary. PROPERLY RATED.

Vitalogy (1994) This was the album that skeptical rock critics who had initially dismissed Pearl Jam as grunge carpetbaggers decided was OK to like, probably because it was easily the least likable Pearl Jam album to this point. The typeface on the album cover nods to Harvest, but the album's aesthetic is Time Fades Away. Half of Vitalogy is brilliant, and the other half is terrible; that this was by design doesn't make the tiresome parts any less tiresome. I've loved this album for nearly 20 years, but only recently did I realize that my version of Vitalogy consists of only six songs ("Last Exit," "Not for You," "Tremor Christ," "Nothingman," "Corduroy," and "Immortality") out of a possible 14. That is not a good percentage of plays for a supposedly classic record. I think other people similarly misremember Vitalogy's quality — it ranked no. 2 (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-the-10-best-pearl-jam-albums-20130724/2-vitalogy-0403927) in a Rolling Stonereaders' poll about Pearl Jam albums, which is far too high. More than 877,000 people bought Vitalogy the week it came out, and I'm guessing at least 416,000 were disappointed. OVERRATED.

No Code (1996) Pearl Jam's fourth album was underrated when it first came out, and now it seems a little overrated. No Code is the departure point in Pearl Jam's discography. Loving Ten means you were young and engaged with rock music in the early '90s; lovingNo Code (and everything afterward) is what makes you a "real" Pearl Jam fan. Let's split the difference: Arguing that No Code is Pearl Jam's best record is bogus, but not counting it among Pearl Jam's best is plain old ill-informed. Looking back, it's a little amazing thatNo Code, and not Vitalogy, marked the end of Pearl Jam's "biggest band in the world" period — this is a far more consistent and overall better record. It's also more successfully "weird" — investing time with No Code and endlessly traversing its prickly corners pays much higher dividends. "Hail, Hail" is a top-five Pearl Jam "rock" song, and "Off He Goes" is a top-five Pearl Jam "slow" song. "Sometimes" is my dark-horse pick for best side one, track one on a Pearl Jam record, and "Lukin" is its most credible "we're pretending to be a punk band" song. At the time, it appeared that No Code might end Pearl Jam's career, but ultimately it's the record that set Pearl Jam on a course away from being a strictly '90s phenomenon. PROPERLY RATED.

Yield (1998) This is the last Pearl Jam LP to go platinum, and the one with the worst album cover, which, given the high standard of awful Pearl Jam album covers, is saying a lot. Yield looks like one of those mid-'80s Roger Waters solo records that only dudes who work in used-CD stores claim to like. All of that aside, Yield is the single most underrated entry in Pearl Jam's oeuvre, a solid no. 4 behind Ten, Vs., and No Code, even though it marks the start of the band's "post-mass" period. Yield is the most purely enjoyable and least pretentious record that Pearl Jam made in the '90s; if it had come out after Vs., Pearl Jam might be bigger than U2 right now. It's a testament to Pearl Jam's perversity that it waited to deliver the album that many people wanted after those people had already evacuated the bandwagon. UNDERRATED.

Binaural (2000) I once had a conversation with this guy about Pearl Jam in which he claimed that the band's best era was 1998 to 2002. This is the sort of argument a person makes after digesting so much of a particular artist's work that it has driven him to the brink of insanity. It's like saying, "You know, Raging Bull and Goodfellas are solid, but they pale in comparison to Scorsese's output from 1997 to 2002." The early '00s were clearly a bad time for Pearl Jam — Mike McCready struggled with drug addiction, there was the Roskilde tragedy, and the band was perceived by many casual observers as passé. Pearl Jam should've taken an extended break after Yield, but instead it plowed forward with the most dispiriting and deeply confused record of its career. Binauralrepresents the worst instance of Pearl Jam attempting to make music least suited to its specific skill set — it's a record of dense atmospherics and measured brooding by the most stridently anthemic and emotive band of its generation. What's supposed to be a pained, delicate sigh comes off as a dull, thudding roar. Binaural is a three-dimensional sonic representation of a band being flattened against a psychic brick wall. PROPERLY RATED.

Riot Act (2002) This album barely went gold, which means that for its entire album cycle Riot Act sold about half what Vs. did in its first week. That's an incredible tumble for the ex–world's biggest rock-and-roll band in just under 10 years. But if Riot Act is truly considered Pearl Jam's rock bottom, I think it deserves a smidge of redemption. I'm not saying it's great (or even good), but Riot Act has two songs I like ("Thumbing My Way" and "Green Disease") and Binaural has none. UNDERRATED.

Pearl Jam (2006) The "return to rock" album that every veteran band is legally required to make 15 years into its recording career, Pearl Jam was greeted with relative enthusiasm after the grumpy doldrums of the band's previous two records. Pearl Jam is loaded with fast songs in the mold of "Spin the Black Circle" — it's all flat, trebly riffs and flat, throaty vocals. Me, I never thought Pearl Jam did "fast" all that well. Its ideal tempo is exemplified by "Corduroy," which I'd describe as "midtempo plus." Pearl Jam is more like "unconvincingly rabid" — though I will ride for "Unemployable," which is a fine Tom Petty rip-off. OVERRATED.

Backspacer (2009) This is my favorite Pearl Jam album since Yield, because in many ways it reminds me the most of Yield.Backspacer is just a batch of good, melodic rock songs played in straightforward fashion without a trace of fuss or furrowed brows. The first half is likable enough, but Backspacer doesn't really take off until the middle of the record, with two fine examples of "midtempo plus" chest-beaters: "Amongst the Waves" and "Unthought Known." Backspacer deservedly became Pearl Jam's most popular album in years, debuting at no. 1 on the Billboard albums chart and spinning off a rock radio hit with the zippy "The Fixer." But Backspacer still feels a touch undervalued. Fans loved it, but the album didn't quite reestablish the concept of "new Pearl Jam" as an exciting proposition in the minds of non–Pearl Jam cultists. UNDERRATED.

Lightning Bolt (2013) When a band has lasted for 10 albums and 22 years, the best you can hope for out of a new record is a handful of good tunes that you'd happily put on your best-of-band playlist. For me, Lightning Bolt has two of them, and they're both ballads: "Sirens" and "Future Days." Thematically, these songs are close cousins, detailing the hard-won rewards (and potential pitfalls) of fidelity, whether it exists between romantic partners or a band and its audience. Pearl Jam arrives as a full-fledged nostalgia band onLightning Bolt, but only in the anticipatory sense — this is music for ruminating on where you came from, expressing gratitude for where you are, and/or feeling wistful about how we are all headed toward the same place. As to how this album is rated, I can only speculate. I suspect that fans will love this record, critics will be respectful of it, and the rest of the world will be largely uninterested. And Pearl Jam will keep on marching forward. PROPERLY RATED.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9825387/pearl-jam-career-overrated-underrated-properly-rated

thevoid99
10-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I've been hearing the new album a few times as of late and I really like it. I think it's better than the last album and it sounds like a band that is getting better and more confident in their craft as musicians. It's what a rock record should be.

henryeatscereal
10-18-2013, 09:55 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9825387/pearl-jam-career-overrated-underrated-properly-rated
Vitalogy isn't overrated, the album is only reminded for those six songs, yet most of the "mainstream fans" don't give a shit about "Satan's Bed" or "Inmortality" (just watch the reaction when they are played live)

I don't think Vitalogy is a great album, but certainly is very interesting, yet, you have to be a fan to appreciate it ...that's why the album ISN'T overrated...

LaneSax
10-19-2013, 02:46 AM
Lightning Bolt is a definite improvement from Backspacer.

I think the Stone and Jeff songs stand out. Infallible, Let the Records Play and Pendulum are pretty cool.

In relation to the article.
I think the only overrated PJ album is their self titled one. Til today I will not get why fans jizz all over Marker in the Sand.
I completely agree with Riot Act being underrated, I honestly think that's their last really good effort.

Kid Charlemagne
10-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Selftitled is my second favorite Pearl Jam album behind No Code. Seriously, the first half of that item is some of the best material they've penned. "Parachutes" may indeed be my favorite Pearl Jam song ever.

Highly Psychological
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I think everyone agrees the first two Pearl Jam albums are classics, after that it varies for everyone. I could never get into Vitalogy either yet really liked Binaural when it came out in 2000.
I thought the Riot Act era was their rock bottom, they sounded much older than they were, the album had a real VH1 vibe about it, didnt seem to exciting. After that they sort of came back re-energised with the 2006 self titled album and they were great live on that tour too.
And Yeild is good too. Given to Fly is an epic ballad.

Digital Twilight
10-20-2013, 05:32 AM
For me Riot Act was their last great album. After that it seems something just disappeared.

LaneSax
10-20-2013, 06:21 AM
For me Riot Act was their last great album. After that it seems something just disappeared.
I had that feeling too, then I got Lightning Bolt.

the album has exceeded my expectations. Everything from Eddie's vocals to the album artwork have impressed me.

Digital Twilight
10-20-2013, 06:33 AM
I just can't get into Lightning Bolt at all. There are a few good songs on there but nothing I love, even Backspacer had a few that I fell in love with. Ah well, Pearl Jam have always been a live band for me rather than a studio one. As long as they're still great live then I'll stick around.

Madmya
10-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Having only listened to Ten previous to this album, I really enjoy Lightning Bolt.

LaneSax
10-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Been a week and I am still not bored of Lightning Bolt

PJ week on Fallon was awesome too!

simonn
10-26-2013, 05:25 AM
Just heard Lightning Bolt for the first time today. Really liked it, they sound fresher than they have for a while. Will give it a few more spins, certainly. (If you can spin an mp3 file that is).

GulDukat
10-26-2013, 12:23 PM
I just can't get into Lightning Bolt at all. There are a few good songs on there but nothing I love, even Backspacer had a few that I fell in love with. Ah well, Pearl Jam have always been a live band for me rather than a studio one. As long as they're still great live then I'll stick around.

I personally liked the s/t album and Backspacer a lot more than the two that came before it. I can appreciate Binaural and Riot Act--they're fine pieces of music, but I just couldn't really get into them. I like Lighting Bolt, but it's not one of their better albums, IMO. It's kind of like a slicker Vitology.

The first five albums are my favorites and really the ones that I always go back to.

GulDukat
10-26-2013, 12:27 PM

That's awesome. No Code is my favorite, right behind Ten.

cahernandez
10-29-2013, 07:03 PM
What are the chances of Ticketmaster releasing more tickets for the Seattle show?

blugel
10-30-2013, 08:58 AM
count me in as liking Lightning Bolt a lot more than i expected to..

i've never seen them live (just never worked out) but this album has convinced me i have to this time around...

and of course no midwest dates....

always hope for next year, i suppose...

GulDukat
10-30-2013, 09:05 AM
For fans who like Ten, make sure to buy the 2009 B'OB remix. It's a lot rawer than the original album and is the best thing that they've ever released, IMHO.

r_z
10-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Yield remains my favorite, still.

LaneSax
10-30-2013, 09:24 PM
for me, Vs. and No Code are my favorites, hard to choose between them.

I'd rank their albums as such.

= Vs.
= No Code
3. Riot Act
4. Ten
5. Lightning Bolt
6. Yield
7. Vitalogy
8. Binaural
9. Pearl Jam
10. Backspacer

henryeatscereal
10-30-2013, 10:02 PM
If we're "playing" the "raking game", here's mine:

1. VS
2. No Code
3. Ten
4. Vitalogy
5. Pearl Jam
6. Riot Act
7. Lightning Bolt
8. Binaural
9. Yield
10. Backspacer

GulDukat
10-31-2013, 06:14 AM
10. Binaural
9. Riot Act
8. Lightning Bolt
7. Backspacer
6. Peal Jam
5. Yield
4. Vitalogy
3. Vs.
2. No Code
1. Ten

LaneSax
11-06-2013, 06:45 AM
where's the love for Riot Act? haha
For me it was such an awesome era for Pearl Jam.

Great tour, great dvd L@TG and the band going back to releasing promo videos.
It was the last album with good B-sides too.

But back to Lightning Bolt
Based on this extended version of the EPK, looks like there will be videos for Lightning Bolt & Getaway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq5ZgMIVGt4

henryeatscereal
11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
where's the love for Riot Act? haha
For me it was such an awesome era for Pearl Jam.

I really like it, obviously they have better albums, but i consider "Riot Act" one of their most mature and varied works with awesome tracks like: "Save you", "Ghost", "Thumbing my way", "Get Right", "Green Disease" and "1/2 Full", not all PJ recent work is essential but i do think that "Riot Act" is a great album...

cahernandez
12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Anyone going to the Seattle show? I'm staying there for the night and then going to this: http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/22108/pearl_jam%E2%80%99s_ten_club_hosts_a_one-day_pop-up_shop_at_seattle%E2%80%99s_showbox_on_december_7

I'm planning to get the backpack, it looks really cool. Plus I need a new backpack.

cahernandez
12-09-2013, 11:50 PM
As 2013 comes to its end, I think it's time to post the photo of the year. Although barely visible, in that stage there's Kim Thayil (of Soundgarden), Mark Arm and Steve Turner (of Mudhoney) and all of Pearl Jam playing MC5's Kick out the Jams, in other words, the perfect dream of a punk rock fan. Behind them are two big Mexican flags (and an Argentinian one). This homecoming show was the last date of their tour. I don't think it can get any better than this. The show was freaking awesome.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2805/11302750266_8a4a1bbced_b.jpg

cahernandez
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Sorry for the double post but it's been a while. I've been listening to No Code a lot and I think it's my favorite Pearl Jam album. I don't know why I got too late into it, almost 20 years later! But I can relate a lot to it. With Nine Inch Nails, I like the music big time (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be here), but at this stage in my life I cannot relate to The Fragile and previous albums, lyrics-wise. But with No Code...man, Smile, Off He Goes and specially Present Tense, I'm Open and Who You Are. These last three songs speak to me quite a bit, specially as I'm turning 30 this year. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, I think Pearl Jam made the perfect record for the act of growing up. And the Eastern sounding guitar and the crazy drumming pattern of Who You Are= pure genius.

With this being said, this morning I gave Lightning Bolt a spin while cleaning my bedroom and I thought it was amazing. No song I'd skip in that album, Swallowed Whole and Yellow Moon don't do that much to me (although I wouldn't skip them, they still make the album flow well). Infallible...AMAZING song. During the end of the year reviews, the guys at Alternative Nation wrote that Infallible could become one of the next PJ live staples/anthems and I did not think much of this at the time, but this morning, listening to the song real loud, I understood what they were saying. Great album.

So the only albums I still need to listen to are Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam and Backspacer. I read the last two pages of this thread to try to get a feel of which album I should get next and the opinion seems divided (although no one really mentioned Binaural, for the better or the worse). So between Riot Act, Pearl Jam, and Backspacer, which one should I get next?

Soma
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
So the only albums I still need to listen to are Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam and Backspacer. I read the last two pages of this thread to try to get a feel of which album I should get next and the opinion seems divided (although no one really mentioned Binaural, for the better or the worse). So between Riot Act, Pearl Jam, and Backspacer, which one should I get next?

I've never quite understood why Binaural doesn't get as much love. It's got quite a few solid tunes.

Personally, Riot Act is among my top 3 PJ albums. A lot of my favorite tracks are on there e.g. Thumbing My Way, You Are, Love Boat Captain, Green Disease..

S/T is probably my least favorite, although Unemployable is a ridiculously cool song. I have yet to give Backspacer a proper listen.

henryeatscereal
02-09-2014, 10:21 PM
"No Code" is my favorite along with VS, i've been listening to it a lot lately, don't know why
I would get "Binaural", since it's more "similar" on style to "No Code", but i like "Riot Act" a little better, still any of those two albums is a good buy...

Digital Twilight
02-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Riot Act and Binaural should be your next listens. They both sound amazing with good headphones (Binaural using the binaural recording technique on some of the songs really shines).

LaneSax
02-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Go with Riot Act! I feel it's an easy album to digest as well.

I introduced Riot Act to people who had lost interest in PJ, and the album made them fans again.

GulDukat
05-15-2014, 10:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyvNUwhQoI
Never heard this before, sounds great.

ninedead
05-30-2014, 11:41 PM
been a fan for 25 years now and for some reason have never made a show, well that streak ends on october 3! just got tickets to my first pearl jam tour, the show was a little high priced especially since i had to get mezzanine level, but i dont care i know its going to be an awesome night in st louis!!

Reznor2112
07-15-2015, 07:31 PM
So it is widely know that PJ allows fans to download and share their official bootlegs without purchasing after 3 years...that being said...does anyone happen to have the 9 disc Philly Spectrum box set they'd be willing to share? Thanks in advance for the PM.

UPDATE: I have found the 10/27 show and 10/31 show. Still looking for the 10/28 & 10/30 shows.

onthewall2983
05-05-2016, 08:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPHns8WKmg

armogi
05-05-2016, 09:16 PM
damn i love this band, so bummed I couldn't get ticket to those MSG shows. Cant wait for Wrigley!

october_midnight
07-20-2016, 01:16 PM
How's this for a fuckin' bump?

Temple of The Dog to release 25th anniversary edition of album, play small U.S. tour. (http://pitchfork.com/news/66951-pearl-jamsoundgarden-supergroup-temple-of-the-dog-announce-first-tour-ever/)

May have to hit that Seattle show up for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q76evvcilfI

bobbie solo
07-20-2016, 02:49 PM
I will without a doubt be there November 7th at MSG. Eddie better fuckin' be there too.

armogi
07-20-2016, 08:49 PM
I'll be there too, already entered the 10C drawing, with or without Ed it will be awesome.

TheyCallMeDrug
07-21-2016, 12:09 AM
what else is eddie doing for 5 dates? lol

Reznor2112
07-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Are any of you on the 10C forums? (Irish_Aenima over there). Hi!!!!

armogi
07-29-2016, 02:27 PM
2nd show are being added, probably to each stop in the end, I'm all set for both shows here, hope you guys got in too.

bobbie solo
07-30-2016, 01:34 AM
MSG "sold out" instantly. typical TM sham. Obviously a ton of the tickets were held back for the on-sale. That's alright, I'll hopefully score a free ticket through my hook-ups or i'll wait till the very last minute the day of and buy a cheap one.

GulDukat
08-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Ten turns 25 today!

allegro
08-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Holy shit. Doesn't seem that long ago.

(edit: it's still my favorite PJ album)

GulDukat
08-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Nope. Feels like yesterday. The 2009 mix, ftw.

allegro
08-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Yup, love that remix. And the "Pearl Jam Twenty" documentary!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y80pstZMymA

onthewall2983
08-23-2017, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B85SIjDZ_Jw

ghostaustin
08-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Any news on a new album? It's about that time, right?

armogi
08-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Any news on a new album? It's about that time, right?

They are taking their sweet time again it seems.

Reznor2112
08-25-2017, 11:40 AM
They are taking their sweet time again it seems.

well, they were on tour all of last year (or at least most) and they took this year off. Eddie did a solo tour.

Lightning Bolt was released 4 years ago...if the extra time is what they need than take it.

Boots
11-12-2017, 04:37 PM
I'm glad I got to see them at the Virgin Festival. The last grunge band whose lead singer is still alive. They need to lock Eddie in a vault.

chuckrh
02-24-2018, 08:08 AM
got some tix for the 2nd Seattle show. have seen them many times since the beginning of the band but its been over 10 years. got good seats & am pretty excited. they haven't done much for me on an album level for a long time but they are an excellent live band. people here (seattle) are losing their little minds over these shows. first hometown shows in over 5 years.

bobbie solo
02-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Seeing them in Berlin a few days after I see the NIN show there. Then coming home a week later and seeing Radiohead at MSG. You'd think I was one of those guys stuck with the music of his youth. I'm not (my hook up just confirmed me for Turnstile/Touche Amore & Kendrick this spring and I saw Architects last week), but man would it appear that way by that itinerary haha.

armogi
02-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Can't make it to Seattle and it bums me big time, I would be all over this if I was here.
These will be some very special shows even though the quality of their performances has gone down in the last decade they still deliver live, Chicago 2016 was awesome.

ghostaustin
03-13-2018, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkaOPcfeV0Y

ltrandazzo
03-13-2018, 01:33 PM
I got this via Ten Club email Saturday along with a general announcement email this morning that said this is coming from the band's forthcoming album so... new album confirmed!

The track is OK. A little short, but I'm sure there will be some gems.

Reznor2112
03-13-2018, 01:58 PM
I got this via Ten Club email Saturday along with a general announcement email this morning that said this is coming from the band's forthcoming album so... new album confirmed!

The track is OK. A little short, but I'm sure there will be some gems.

Got it through the 10C email as well. Funny that they are making this the "2017 annual single" haha. Even though it is just a new single. May change my mind on continuing to pay for Analog.

Like the track but EV sounds a little strained on parts.

ltrandazzo
03-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Got it through the 10C email as well. Funny that they are making this the "2017 annual single" haha. Even though it is just a new single. May change my mind on continuing to pay for Analog.

Like the track but EV sounds a little strained on parts.

Well we'll get a cool 45 out of it at least so that's kind of cool. I'm wondering if they'll save the B-side for when those ship out.

Reznor2112
03-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Well we'll get a cool 45 out of it at least so that's kind of cool. I'm wondering if they'll save the B-side for when those ship out.

True. Just miss how cool the club singles were back in the day.

Assuming the b-side will be EV's Tom Petty cover from the Oscars...but I hope I am wrong haha.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
03-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Holy shit that song is awful. Worst song since Evacuation. Wow....They should pull a Robert Smith and just stick to touring (their strength). Making music for them has become a huge weakness (its been that way since Yield)...

bobbie solo
03-31-2018, 04:21 AM
Eddie Vedder covered Hurt again in Brazil the other night. I think it's been a long time since he did so.

chuckrh
03-31-2018, 07:01 AM
Eddie Vedder covered Hurt again in Brazil the other night. I think it's been a long time since he did so.
I think he does a good job with it. Different but still powerful.

chuckrh
08-10-2018, 05:39 PM
I'm heading out to see Pearl Jam right now. All reports are they were brilliant Wednesday. It's been a real long time....

elevenism
08-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Holy shit that song is awful. Worst song since Evacuation. Wow....They should pull a Robert Smith and just stick to touring (their strength). Making music for them has become a huge weakness (its been that way since Yield)...
idk
i like Yield. I like their cover of Going to California (they call it Given to Fly :P )

I like the song Lightning Bolt.

But i have to admit that there was a MASSIVE drop in quality after Vitalogy. Those first three records captured lightning in a bottle.
Yield was GOOD, but the first three were fucking AMAZING.

I've not listened to an entire PJ album since Yield. Life is too short for mediocre records.

r_z
08-11-2018, 09:33 AM
I respectfully disagree as I listen to the albums from No Code to Riot Act way more than to the first three. Yield is my favorite of theirs.

Dryalex12
08-11-2018, 10:29 AM
I think The Avocado album had a lot of good stuff on it. I remember loving Life Wasted a lot when i first saw the oddly fucking creepy ass video for it

armogi
08-11-2018, 03:20 PM
It really started to go downhill after riot act, the last 3 records were hit or miss but there is definitely a good EP in each of them. The live shows are the savior, but for how long... this is one of my top 3 bands, i worry they are slowly but surely losing it.

GulDukat
08-11-2018, 05:03 PM
My ranking (updated)

10. Riot Act
9. Lightning Bolt
8. Backspacer
7. Binaural
6. Pearl Jam
5. Yield
4. Vitology
3. No Code (extremely underrated)
2. Vs.
1. Ten (I prefer the 2009 mix)

Those first five helped define my youth, are the discs (I typed disc, as I am very much a child of the 90's) that I grew up with and I sort of see those as a closed body-of-work. But even the albums I ranked at the end were good, imho, or at least worthwhile efforts.

chuckrh
08-14-2018, 05:35 AM
I hadn't seen PJ in 10-15 years & was impressed by the show on Friday. Very punk setlist. Lot of surprises. I'm not fanatical about them but I'd go see them again.

ZeroSum
08-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Binaural is way, way better than people give it credit for IMO. It's a weird album, because its opening and closing batch of songs range from just average to some of the worst songs in the bands catalog, but the middle portion of that album is godly.

bobbie solo
08-14-2018, 01:53 PM
I hadn't seen PJ in 10-15 years & was impressed by the show on Friday. Very punk setlist. Lot of surprises. I'm not fanatical about them but I'd go see them again.

I love that, despite their aging classic rocker status, they are keeping up their punk side with their new material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fecw2m0PDDI

halo eighteen
08-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Binaural is way, way better than people give it credit for IMO. It's a weird album, because its opening and closing batch of songs range from just average to some of the worst songs in the bands catalog, but the middle portion of that album is godly.

I was definitely a fan of the band in the 90s, but it was my stint working in retail at Meijer and having access to employee discounts for their slew of official bootleg releases in 2000/2001 that really turned me into a bit of a hardcore fan. I didn't actually get to see any shows on that tour unfortunately, but I listened to enough of those recordings to get quite familiar with the Binaural material. Needless to say, when I was at their Toronto show a couple years ago and they played the entire thing front to back, I was over the moon. Took me right back to a time and place of all those bootlegs.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
08-15-2018, 02:12 PM
Eddie is going back into Richard Patrick mode

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmd2xv7HI1L/?utm_source=ig_embed

95% of the comments are PJ fans claiming they are done with the band...Way to alienate your fanbase with divisive political shit Ed...

Personally I dont give a shit about Trump, Hilary or PJ so I can sit back and laugh

halo eighteen
08-15-2018, 02:24 PM
^Except Ed had nothing to do with that poster, but Jeff Ament did. 95% of comments anywhere on the Internet are trolls, so I wouldn't really put any faith in Instragram comments.

And for what it's worth, "Soon Forget" in Toronto a couple years ago was dedicated to Trump and the entire place cheered.

Cookster426
08-15-2018, 02:42 PM

95% of the comments are PJ fans claiming they are done with the band...Way to alienate your fanbase with divisive political shit Ed...

Personally I dont give a shit about Trump, Hilary or PJ so I can sit back and laugh

Loved that you said 'Richard Patrick Mode'. That guy is so triggered it's laughable.

bobbie solo
08-15-2018, 02:44 PM

oh please. Hush.

Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam have been a political band for practically their whole career, and where they stand on issues has been very, very clear for that entire time. I'm not saying their Anti-Flag, but Eddie has ranted about various issues at length during concerts for decades. If you're a PJ fan in 2018 and offended/surprised by what the band is gonna do or say in that realm, then you're braindead. They are clearly a group of strongly left guys politically, if not all fully progressive. They've done events for Dem politicians both in the recent & distant past.

allegate
08-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Also: "fans" done with the band could mean anything in this day and age.

ltrandazzo
08-15-2018, 03:36 PM

LOL.

I'd like to introduce you to "Bu$hleaguer," a song that Pearl Jam played in 2003 and specifically in Uniondale, NY in front of a bunch of firefighters post-9/11 and right when the Iraq War was authorized. Eddie wore a silver coat and a George Bush mask and the crowd turned on him, chanting USA USA over and over. Eddie shot it back to the crowd, the band played Neil Young, and then threw his mic down and walked off the stage.

A concert poster with a burning White House, Washington Monument, etc. is small fries. I just smashed that like button.

GulDukat
08-16-2018, 10:21 PM
I find it amusing that (a small vocal minority) of PJ fans are somehow surprised and upset to learn that the band doesn't like Trump and are left-leaning politically.

allegate
08-17-2018, 09:50 AM
I still don't think they're fans though, just people who like being outraged.

GulDukat
08-17-2018, 11:41 AM
I still don't think they're fans though, just people who like being outraged.I remember reading headlines around 2003 that would say something like "Dozens of Pearl Jam fans walk out of concert" I guess during the Bush song..."Dozens..." like that's a huge number in an arena that holds 17k fans.

halo eighteen
08-17-2018, 12:14 PM
I wish "fans" getting all outraged over a fucking poster would share the same kind of outrage over all the countless and very real human rights and ethical violations from this current administration, but I guess that's just me.

zecho
08-17-2018, 01:18 PM
This is almost as ridiculous as the Pink Floyd "fans" that walked out of the Roger Waters concerts last year and the year before. Like, really? If you didn't know these bands were political, you haven't payed attention at all. That'd be like going to a Ted Nugent show and getting mad about his far right views. You have no one to blame but yourself.

muad'nin
08-17-2018, 03:54 PM

There are some real gems on that LP, and yes, the middle run from ‘Light Years’ to ‘Insignificance’ are so good. But for me, it’s ‘Sleight of Hand’ that comes closest to perfection - what a stunning song.

r_z
08-17-2018, 03:59 PM
I love the album and I wish they would've gone through with the whole binaural recording technic and whatnot.

allegate
08-17-2018, 04:44 PM
There is a fan-made Deluxe version of Binaural that a bunch of Tchad blake mixes on it:

13 Breakerfall (Tchad Blake Mix)
14 Insignificance (Tchad Blake Mix)
15 Sad (Tchad Blake Mix)
16 Light Years (Tchad Blake Mix)
17 Hitchhiker (Tchad Blake Mix)
18 Education (Tchad Blake Mix)

ZeroSum
08-25-2018, 04:04 PM
There are some real gems on that LP, and yes, the middle run from ‘Light Years’ to ‘Insignificance’ are so good. But for me, it’s ‘Sleight of Hand’ that comes closest to perfection - what a stunning song.

YES!! That song is top ten PJ for me, maybe top 5

allegate
01-10-2020, 02:22 PM
New album "Gigaton" coming this year?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EN8Y0bAWAAIBYvR.jpg

don't know why the image won't embed but whatever.

https://twitter.com/PearlJam/status/1215717551457689600

https://twitter.com/demetriosns/status/1215725415844716545

imail724
01-10-2020, 02:53 PM
@allegate (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/1739-allegate) Where did you get the title from?

allegate
01-10-2020, 05:15 PM
@allegate (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/1739-allegate) Where did you get the title from?

top left of the picture, above the guys right eyeball.

halo eighteen
01-10-2020, 08:02 PM
NA Spring Tour being announced Monday as well!

versusreality
01-11-2020, 05:35 AM
I wonder if Gigaton is just the name of the tour? "Gig a Ton" ?

imail724
01-13-2020, 09:02 AM
NA Spring Tour being announced Monday as well!
When?!

snaapz
01-13-2020, 10:08 AM
I wonder if Gigaton is just the name of the tour? "Gig a Ton" ?

Likely related to emissions/pollution or something.... The flame, or whatever it is, for Australia is upside down maybe out of respect for the current fires there.

halo eighteen
01-13-2020, 10:19 AM
When?!

1pm EST I believe. This is the heavily rumored list..

3/18 Toronto Scotiabank Arena
3/20 Ottawa Canadian Tire Centre
3/22 Quebec Centre Videotron
3/24 Hamilton FirstOntario Centre
3/28 Baltimore Royal Farms Arena
3/30 NYC Madison Square Garden
4/2 Nashville Bridgestone Arena
4/4 St. Louis Enterprise Center
4/6 Oklahoma City Chesapeake Arena
4/9 Denver Pepsi Center
4/11 Phoenix Gila River Arena
4/13 San Diego Viejas Arena
4/15-16 Los Angeles Forum
4/18-19 Oakland Oracle Arena

Another run in the Fall is likely.

snaapz
01-13-2020, 10:29 AM
Where to people come up with these speculations? I've seen so much speculation these past few weeks and no rumors have really come to be true.

All I want is a spring or fall tour (TORONTO) and album details!!!!!!!!!!!

halo eighteen
01-13-2020, 10:32 AM
Where to people come up with these speculations? I've seen so much speculation these past few weeks and no rumors have really come to be true.

All I want is a spring or fall tour (TORONTO) and album details!!!!!!!!!!!

lol I dunno, 10club people are legit on top of things though! I'm miffed that neither Toronto nor Hamilton are on a weekend. Those are the closest to me, but either of those would mean I'd have to take 2 days off work. Maybe just 1 for Hamilton if I can swing out early that day.. Guess I'll just put in for those for the 10c lottery and see where I land.

April 4 St Louis was confirmed via Ticketmaster this morning

LaneSax
01-13-2020, 10:48 AM
We need a new album from them. Quite bored of these tour announcements

snaapz
01-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Wow I didn't even pay attention to that list; Toronto and then Hamilton six days later??? That would be fun, and expensive!! I'm in London so it's not too bad of a hike but may need to stay over night as we enjoy a cold beer with our show!

My wife will get in on that lottery and give it a shot, we NEED GA; cant stand regular seats.

snaapz
01-13-2020, 11:41 AM
“Huge Concert Announcement “ on 102.1 The Edge in Toronto at 1:00pm

halo eighteen
01-13-2020, 11:50 AM
https://us.v-cdn.net/5021252/uploads/editor/nc/x5c6rmoeo03p.jpg

New album GIGATON coming March 27th, per the tour ad!!!

allegate
01-13-2020, 12:06 PM
i was coming here to post that.

that's a terrible image all-round.

snaapz
01-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Awesome! New tunes to jam to this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

halo eighteen
01-13-2020, 12:10 PM
omg.. the tenclub presale is through fucking Ticketmaster now. They're saying they have access to more tickets than in the past now. Now I need to decide if I should deal with any of this or just hold out for hopefully Detroit in the fall (which could interfere with Tori ugh)

allegate
01-13-2020, 12:20 PM
https://pearljam.com/news/ten-club-ticket-presale-info

Christ.

allegate
01-13-2020, 12:20 PM
We need a new album from them. Quite bored of these tour announcements
https://pearljam.com/news/new-pearl-jam-album-gigaton-available-march-27

The first single, “Dance of the Clairvoyants”, will be released in the coming weeks.

ok...

haven't heard of the dude producing it, though apparently he's worked with Jeff a lot.

halo eighteen
01-13-2020, 12:32 PM
My Toronto 10c tickets last tour were US$157 for the pair. Now a pair is US$240 if I'm lucky enough to "win"... THANKS ticketmaster.

allegate
01-13-2020, 12:43 PM
seriously. I get the why of Ticketmaster but it's still rough thinking back to the court case.

r_z
01-13-2020, 03:25 PM
Not a fan of the artwork, but looking forward to the music!

McCready's quote about experimentation and 'O Brien not returning to executive produce this time sounds intriguing.

armogi
01-13-2020, 10:34 PM
this may essentially be a fan club tour, i could be wrong but it seems like they have allocated a large number of tickets for this and they expect certain dates to sell out during this presale.

And i hate TM as much as the next guy but this was a real breeze to go through, unlike usual presales.

allegate
01-14-2020, 12:05 PM
According to an email from Universal, the single arrives Jan 21st.

snaapz
01-16-2020, 08:29 AM
Is anyone here trying to get tickets via lottery?

It's cool what PJ is doing but wow you gotta be on the ball. If the lottery fails then you use the verified fan method, if that fails then use traditional method (ticketmaster at 10AM like eveyone else).

It's kind of a pain in the ass actually because I REALLY WANT GA but my wife selected best available as a safety just to ensure we get tickets. But Im worried the lottery will give us some shit tickets whereas the fan method or normal way would leave it to me to get online at 10:00:00AM sharp and get GA.

In the end it's a huge blow to scalpers and resales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

halo eighteen
01-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Is anyone here trying to get tickets via lottery?

It's cool what PJ is doing but wow you gotta be on the ball. If the lottery fails then you use the verified fan method, if that fails then use traditional method (ticketmaster at 10AM like eveyone else).

It's kind of a pain in the ass actually because I REALLY WANT GA but my wife selected best available as a safety just to ensure we get tickets. But Im worried the lottery will give us some shit tickets whereas the fan method or normal way would leave it to me to get online at 10:00:00AM sharp and get GA.

In the end it's a huge blow to scalpers and resales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hamilton confirmations are going out right now, reserved seating odds ended at 99% so you're pretty much guaranteed winning with best available. Unfortunately, people are saying the confirmation email does NOT state whether best available people are getting GA or reserved!! Have to wait until Jan 27 to find out (where you'll also find out exact seat location if reserved), which is of course after tickets go on sale. That's insane.

I only put in for GA and I haven't received anything yet. Odds were around 40%..

snaapz
01-16-2020, 08:54 PM
My wife just got her Hamilton confirmation! Reserved! Now waiting on Toronto! Hopefully the seats are prime based on this 10 Club process... like it would be a slap in the face to get any seat which is not close or in the 2nd or 3rd level... ya know?

edit: email received does not say reserved, no one know if they got ga or seats unless they only went all in for ga.

halo eighteen
01-16-2020, 08:58 PM
Yay! Seating is still supposed to be assigned by seniority AFAIK

snaapz
01-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Toronto emails are being sent!

versusreality
01-17-2020, 04:55 AM
I tried for the NYC show and was sent an email saying I'll know next Wednesday.

halo eighteen
01-17-2020, 05:00 AM
Shut out for both Hamilton and Toronto GA haha. Kinda expected it. Wasn't about to drive 5 hours each way for whatever my high 10c number would have me sitting, so I gave it a shot!

snaapz
01-17-2020, 07:37 AM
Shut out for both Hamilton and Toronto GA haha. Kinda expected it. Wasn't about to drive 5 hours each way for whatever my high 10c number would have me sitting, so I gave it a shot!

Damn sorry to hear, such a let down :(

halo eighteen
01-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Damn sorry to hear, such a let down :(

It's all good! I'm sure they'll come closer to me at some point. A Chicago station announced they'll be there later in the year so there's def more dates on the way.

allegate
01-17-2020, 11:07 AM
Here's a link to the Bill Simmons podcast. 2 mins in.

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2020/1/16/21069796/the-titans-round-3-bets-mlb-cheating-scandal-peter-schrager-joe-house-mallory-rubin-bills-dad

Could be Matt's drumming, but with a really compressed sound. Bass could definitely be Jeff. Synths sound interesting. I think if it is PJ that the clip is probably slightly misleading as it's faded out before I'd envisage the guitars come in. Can't imagine Ed singing over it with just the bass and synths alone. Doesn't sound like his voice would necessarily be a good fit.

(It'll probably turn out that this isn't PJ at all now, but hey, it's fun to speculate).
Click on the podcast because the video cuts out the beginning. That's an exciting sound if it's them.

AndItKeepsRepeating
01-18-2020, 01:09 AM
Click on the podcast because the video cuts out the beginning. That's an exciting sound if it's them.

Shazam confirms that it is

halo eighteen
01-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Gigaton tracklisting

Buckle Up
Superblood Wolfmoon
Quick Escape
Never Destination
Who Ever Said
Comes Then Goes
Alright
Retrograde
Take the Long Way
River Cross
Seven o'clock
Dance of the Clairvoyants

allegate
01-20-2020, 05:42 AM
https://i.imgur.com/PQN9ckA.png

versusreality
01-20-2020, 06:46 AM
starting to get excited. can't believe it's been 7 years since Lightning Bolt, wow. saw them in Brooklyn then, so far my first and only time seeing them live and it was the most communal experience I've ever seen at a concert.

halo eighteen
01-20-2020, 07:18 AM
starting to get excited. can't believe it's been 7 years since Lightning Bolt, wow. saw them in Brooklyn then, so far my first and only time seeing them live and it was the most communal experience I've ever seen at a concert.

It's really weird. I saw 3 shows on that tour cycle and yet Mind Your Manners and Lightning Bolt are the only two songs I got to hear live. I did manage to get Binaural in full though!

allegate
01-21-2020, 10:29 PM
half an hour to new music and I'm going to bed. I'll hear it in the morning.

armogi
01-21-2020, 11:07 PM
HOLY SHIT! this rules, pearl jam is back!!!

Soma
01-21-2020, 11:12 PM
If this is any indication of the rest of Gigaton, I'm all in! Getting some strong Talking Heads vibes on this one.

poinoup
01-21-2020, 11:41 PM
^This, immediately hit me too. "Save your predictions/burn your assumptions!"

halo eighteen
01-22-2020, 05:42 AM
Immensely better than I had any inkling of a hope that it would be! Toronto is gonna be off the hook if there's a bunch of equally amazing new material getting debuted that night.

*edit - Just noticed that Seattle 12/8/93 is up on Spotify. Not sure if that's a mistake but holy hell is this an essential listen.

snaapz
01-22-2020, 08:13 AM
Echoplex'y!!

I immediately love this track, the outro (final 60 seconds) sounds amazing.

allegate
01-22-2020, 10:53 AM
Echoplex'y!!

I immediately love this track, the outro (final 60 seconds) sounds amazing.
you know what, you're right. I was wondering why the drums were so immediate for me.

there's an interview with Stone where he talks about the song and how it was written. Interesting that they were using a drum machine until Matt said "I got this."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI6hVmekhSc

allegate
01-22-2020, 11:43 AM
Unexpectedly...there's a music video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwuP5wPCLQ

edit:

I got sneaky and looked up the album on Google Play, they don't have individual track times, but they have the album length!

57:03

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Pearl_Jam_Gigaton?id=Bq7xz4k25folpithamcgu6hnoxi&hl=en

Long album at 57 mins!

snaapz
01-22-2020, 02:01 PM
Trent once told me to go fuck myself and stop pissing on the parade, maybe I do have a bad habit of finding similarities and pointing them out.

Echoplex and DOTC both have a similar beat and guitar style (sliding up the fret(s))

Again... Vedders vox are amazing!!!! The final 60 seconds are dreamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MFfj_ZXWU

bobbie solo
01-22-2020, 03:24 PM
That...is not what I'm looking for from PJ. But not a bad song. Strong Talking Heads vibes as said.

henryeatscereal
01-22-2020, 04:14 PM
New song is great, sound like something out of "Binaural" or "Riot Act"

allegate
01-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Putting the tea leaves together, maybe we're getting a few more singles before the album drops. The DOTC clip has the first of these logos at the bottom of it, but not the other two. One of the people who leaked this title said Superblood Wolfmoon is the next one in mid-February.

https://instagram.com/p/B7JLRiRFK6G/

https://instagram.com/p/B7JLRiRFK6G/

interesting.

snaapz
01-22-2020, 07:03 PM
you know what, you're right. I was wondering why the drums were so immediate for me.

There's an interview with stone where he talks about the song and how it was written. Interesting that they were using a drum machine until matt said "i got this."

thank you for sharing that!

allegate
01-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Seriously, You’ve Got to Hear This New Pearl Jam Song

Long ago, during a brief “ecstasy phase,” Eddie Vedder tried to write some techno music. “I was listening to all this stuff on ecstasy,” he told me in 2006, during an all-night chat in a Cleveland hotel room. “But I was wondering, ‘Are they writing it on ecstasy?’ I decided that the pure way to do it is to actually take ecstasy, and then write ecstasy music. That didn’t work out. But I enjoyed the ecstasy.” Around the same time, guitarist Stone Gossard revealed a desire to experiment with Pearl Jam’s sound — if it were up to him, he said, the band might record a song or two that sounded like Steely Dan.

The band’s shockingly light-on-its-feet new single, “Dance of the Clairvoyants,” from March 27th’s Gigaton, doesn’t sound anything like either “ecstasy music” or Steely Dan, but it is definitely the band’s funkiest song in forever, with an obvious debt to Talking Heads (Vedder comes close, at points, to an actual David Byrne impression, which somehow works) rather than the Jane’s Addiction/Red Hot Chili Peppers vein the band liked to tap back in the days when Jeff Ament was borrowing his hats from Strawberry Shortcake.

There are also welcome touches of mid-’00s dance rock, with guitar stabs that could be off Franz Ferdinand’s debut (or perhaps from Vedder faves the Strokes) alongside what sounds like a mix of live and programmed drums and a striking bass line played by Gossard. It’s also illustrative of Pearl Jam’s continuing commitment to anti-commercial perversity that they’d choose to release one of their most radio-friendly songs of the century now, when the prospect of Top 40 radio playing Pearl Jam is about as likely as MTV rehiring Kennedy for an Alternative Nation revival.

In 2013, on the eve of the release of the band’s last album, Lightning Bolt, Vedder told me that his goal for every Pearl Jam release, even now, is to top the rest of the band’s catalog. The vibrancy of “Dance,” alongside quotes from band members suggesting the song, co-produced by the band and longtime engineer Josh Evans, was a true collaboration, are welcome signs that — despite fears that solo projects, touring, and family life were taking priority over new music — they’re still trying.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/new-pearl-jam-song-dance-of-the-clairvoyants-gigaton-941221/

M1ke
01-23-2020, 08:43 AM
I'm trying to get through with the ticketmaster verified fan presale now.....fingers crossed!!!

snaapz
01-23-2020, 09:39 AM
I'm trying to get through with the ticketmaster verified fan presale now.....fingers crossed!!!

Any luck?

(Toronto/Hamilton) There are a lot of seats in the 300's and some 100s behind the stage. I'm waiting on some floor to open up by chance! My wife already got 4 tix but I'd love to secure floor!!!

Two floor did show up at like 10:05 but I was too slow!!

Soma
01-23-2020, 09:45 AM
I was preparing to get tickets for OKC when I saw the Roger Waters tour announcement.. Woof! Decisions, decisions!

halo eighteen
01-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Any luck?

(Toronto/Hamilton) There are a lot of seats in the 300's and some 100s behind the stage. I'm waiting on some floor to open up by chance! My wife already got 4 tix but I'd love to secure floor!!!

Two floor did show up at like 10:05 but I was too slow!!

GA or the seats on the floor?!

My Canadian friend got a pair in 227. I might be making it out for this after all haha

allegate
01-23-2020, 09:49 AM
PJ Radio on Sirius, after playing DotC, said it will be playing more songs from Gigaton over the coming weeks.
hmm.

M1ke
01-23-2020, 10:43 AM
Between the girlfriend and I we managed to snag 6 tickets for Hamilton.

She got 2 in 117 that we're going to sit in, and I grabbed 4 in 210 that we'll end up either giving to friends or selling at face value.

snaapz
01-23-2020, 11:24 AM
I will be at Toronto and Hamilton; unsure on where the seats are as we got them via 10C and they will let us know if we got GA or seats on or after the 27th; nice that we have tickets but wish I knew if they were decent or 300's and crappy; I could at least nab presale or tix tomorrow.

Either way TORJAM and HAMJAM it is!!

GA or the seats on the floor?!

My Canadian friend got a pair in 227. I might be making it out for this after all haha

I had (2) Toronto Floor LEFT tickets on my screen ready to be claimed but I face-timed my wife and asked if it was worth it since the seats were at the very back; she said YES tickets went bye-bye! I forgot to proceed to next step to lock them in lol.

allegate
01-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Interesting tidbit. As far as I'm aware, and I could well be wrong, Boom is pretty much nothing more than a touring member, he hasn't had any notable recorded contributions since Riot Act, so there's no reason to assume he wouldn't be, but I was listening to Marc Maron's pod with Josh Klinghoffer (recently binned Chili Pepper) today and he (Maron) mentioned that Klinghoffer would be doing some stuff on stage with PJ on this upcoming tour as well as opening.

Could just be a throwaway comment with zero truth in it, but if this was the case I can't see any need for a 4th guitarist onstage, and given that the guys album he's touring behind is basically piano/keyboard based songs, maybe there's something there. Perhaps I've just become a mad Pit conspiracy theorist.https://media1.tenor.com/images/4ae2cfb5beef1a218335fe7f9a53ce4f/tenor.gif?itemid=14420548

imail724
01-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Was on at 10, waited in the virtual queue for about 30 minutes just to be told "These tickets went fast and are currently sold out. But more tickets may become available soon. Check back for updates.". Guess I just gotta hope they add additional nights at MSG.

M1ke
01-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Was on at 10, waited in the virtual queue for about 30 minutes just to be told "These tickets went fast and are currently sold out. But more tickets may become available soon. Check back for updates.". Guess I just gotta hope they add additional nights at MSG.

I saw that message when buying for Alanis Morrissette in Toronto not long ago, about a week later tickets were available again. Might be worth checking in a few days!

versusreality
01-24-2020, 10:14 AM
well, looks like I won't be going to the MSG show

snaapz
01-24-2020, 11:14 AM
https://www.stubhub.ca/pearl-jam-tickets-pearl-jam-new-york-madison-square-garden-3-30-2020/event/104548235/?sort=price+asc&sid=1990443

LMFAO $8,000 - $11,000 for GA tic

allegate
01-24-2020, 03:14 PM
https://i.redd.it/fd1m9fepcrc41.jpg

4:25 begs the question (sorry Peter): why is there a 7" cut of the song?

allegate
01-25-2020, 12:49 AM
Eddie Vedder Unveils Pearl Jam’s New Album, ‘Gigaton,’ at Intimate Listening Session

(https://variety.com/2020/music/news/pearl-jam-eddie-vedder-unveils-new-album-gigaton-1203479780/amp/)
Produced by the group in tandem with longtime collaborator Josh Evans, the 12-track “Gigaton” is arguably the band’s strongest and most diverse work since 1998’s “Yield.”I am excite.

Dolby Atmos sound
god damn this is going to be an expensive album to listen to.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-dolby-atmos-music-and-how-to-get-it/

Jon
01-25-2020, 10:11 AM
god damn this is going to be an expensive album to listen to.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-dolby-atmos-music-and-how-to-get-it/

I hope they actually release a physical Atmos version. Regardless, the 360/3D versions will be available on TIDAL and Deezer. Under the TIDAL app, enable 360 Reality Audio (must be HiFi tier) and set up your Atmos-approved device; for Deezer it's a separate program called Deezer 3D. They just rolled this stuff out last month so it's in the early stages.

allegate
01-25-2020, 10:15 AM
yeah, that sounds expensive since I A) don't have a Tidal account and 2) don't have an Atmos-approved device.

but the physical release would be great because it would have hi-res on it and I can play that right now at least.

allegate
01-29-2020, 11:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okly4ZVkQFU

2nd version of the video, because...reasons?

poinoup
01-29-2020, 02:02 PM
Now I just need to memorize the lyrics, but that's going to take a bit because there's a lot going on here. I think I figured out that simple bass tab though.

LaneSax
01-31-2020, 11:13 PM
unreleased Even Flow video finally leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaPRpdt72r8

GulDukat
02-01-2020, 08:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okly4ZVkQFU

2nd version of the video, because...reasons?

I like it. Different for PJ for sure, but cool.

halo eighteen
02-06-2020, 02:37 PM
That previously rumored Sirius show on March 26 will be at the Apollo in Harlem, NY.

https://www.siriusxm.com/PJApollo

bobbie solo
02-07-2020, 12:49 AM
Ugh. Good luck getting into THAT. Looks like they're gonna do a bunch of covers of Apollo type artists too.

allegate
02-07-2020, 08:04 AM
https://www.twitter.com/PearlJam/status/1225555268362215426

Mach III dropping today.

allegate
02-07-2020, 10:28 AM
In 30 minutes apparently:

https://twitter.com/PearlJam/status/1225812708358008833

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymf7DZUeVow

versusreality
02-07-2020, 06:26 PM
That previously rumored Sirius show on March 26 will be at the Apollo in Harlem, NY.

https://www.siriusxm.com/PJApollo
sigh...another NYC show I won't be able to go to on this tour. hope they add another MSG date

AndItKeepsRepeating
02-07-2020, 09:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z02Y54Ce3U

allegate
02-13-2020, 10:16 AM
https://azrockradio.com/pearl-jam-presentara-premier-de-gigaton-en-cines-de-todo-el-mundo/

Pearl Jam's Gigaton will be in Atmos theaters March 25th. There had better be a physical release but the fact I've not seen one for preorder doesn't fill me with hope.

Jon
02-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Pearl Jam’s New Song Only Accessible by Pointing Your Cellphone at the Moon
Universal Records teams with Powster app to premiere ‘Gigaton’ single ‘Superblood Wolfmoon’

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pearl-jam-superblood-wolfmoon-app-augmented-reality-951836/

imail724
02-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Pearl Jam’s New Song Only Accessible by Pointing Your Cellphone at the Moon
Universal Records teams with Powster app to premiere ‘Gigaton’ single ‘Superblood Wolfmoon’

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pearl-jam-superblood-wolfmoon-app-augmented-reality-951836/
I think the headline is a little misleading here. My understanding is doing this will only give you a preview of the song, which will be released in full next week.

allegate
02-13-2020, 06:02 PM
just found out about the whole "look at the moon" bull. they live in the PNW and know just as well as anyone else here that there's no fucking moon out right now.

I'm glad there's other options because if I had to wait for a clear night for this I'd be waiting until the song was actually released.

This AfternoonRain. High near 44. South wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
TonightShowers likely. Snow level 2100 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. South southwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
FridayA chance of showers before 4pm, then a chance of rain after 4pm. Snow level 2300 feet. Increasing clouds, with a high near 48. West southwest wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Friday NightRain, mainly after 10pm. Snow level 2400 feet. Low around 41. South wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
SaturdayRain. High near 46. South wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday NightRain. Low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
SundayShowers likely. Snow level 2300 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Sunday NightA chance of showers, mainly before 4am. Patchy fog after midnight. Snow level 1900 feet. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.
Washington's BirthdayA chance of showers, mainly after 10am. Patchy fog before 10am. Snow level 1500 feet rising to 2200 feet in the afternoon. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 47.
Monday NightPatchy fog between 11pm and 1am. Patchy frost after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 35.
TuesdayAreas of frost. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 50.
Tuesday NightWidespread frost. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 34.
WednesdayAreas of frost. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 52.
Wednesday NightA slight chance of showers. Areas of frost. Snow level 2300 feet lowering to 800 feet after midnight . Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 35.
ThursdayA chance of showers. Snow level 800 feet rising to 2200 feet in the afternoon. Partly sunny, with a high near 51.also what kind of name is Ste.

allegate
02-13-2020, 10:55 PM
https://moon.pearljam.com/sounds/moon_audio.mp3

direct link for those who are also in moonless skies.

AThousandDaysBefore
02-17-2020, 11:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLnnx-MnJMI

Niceeeee!!

M1ke
02-18-2020, 08:53 AM
Anyone actually figured out how to use the fan-to-fan face value exchange thing? It's supposed to start today, but when I try to list my extra tickets it just says that I'm not allowed to sell them.

allegate
02-18-2020, 10:05 AM
It's weird to me that the only place I've seen the Atmos announcement is on not-English web pages. I mean, the Dolby Atmos "coming soon" page doesn't list it, but maybe they don't list special engagements like this?

I just want to know how to start planning my day, whether I'm taking time off to see if or if it's an evening thing.

cahernandez
02-18-2020, 10:14 AM
This morning I woke up listening to this gem, PJ/Eddie Vedder solo played this when they opened their second encore here in Monterrey fifteen (!!) years ago. In general I'm not a fan of The Beatles (don't crucify me) but I do enjoy their songs by other bands (see:Across the Universe - Fionna Apple, Imagine - A Perfect Circle, Helter Skelter - Soundgarden, Johnny Cash - In My Life):

https://youtu.be/ZVqGpE10zaA

imail724
02-18-2020, 10:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLnnx-MnJMI

Niceeeee!!
Album's shaping up nicely.

M1ke
02-18-2020, 09:28 PM
Anyone actually figured out how to use the fan-to-fan face value exchange thing? It's supposed to start today, but when I try to list my extra tickets it just says that I'm not allowed to sell them.

Just in case anyone is curious how this exchange thing works, it's pretty fucked up.

I tried to list them early in the morning today, and they didn't turn the option on until around 5pm. Then the option was there, but if you clicked it, it just error-ed at you. Chatting with their support wasn't helpful.

It finally let me go in and supposedly list them about 20 minutes ago, so now they show as for sale on my end, but they still don't show for sale on the website.

This whole thing seems to be a bit of a clusterfuck.

Space Suicide
02-18-2020, 10:37 PM
These two new songs are so different than any other Pearl Jam material I've ever heard. I kinda dig it.

I only ever really liked Ten and a few songs here and there throughout their career since.

allegate
02-19-2020, 12:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSazphh_C8

ok, that's different.

allegate
02-19-2020, 05:14 PM
https://twitter.com/scottgum/status/1230235403032158208

AndItKeepsRepeating
02-24-2020, 04:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSazphh_C8

ok, that's different.

It's been a few days, I've listened a few times

And this might be my favorite Pearl Jam song since Yield

At least nothing since then has been caught in my head like this, except maybe The Fixer but that song isnt nearly as good as this one.

halo eighteen
02-27-2020, 05:45 AM
10c forum has something about a two-night run at Chicago United Center on Sept 11, so that's probably a good indication of when the second US leg will be.

Jon
02-27-2020, 03:40 PM
It's weird to me that the only place I've seen the Atmos announcement is on not-English web pages. I mean, the Dolby Atmos "coming soon" page doesn't list it, but maybe they don't list special engagements like this?

I just want to know how to start planning my day, whether I'm taking time off to see if or if it's an evening thing.

Still nothing specific, other than the date, but it's listed on AMC Theaters' site. You can't order tickets, but you can do the "Remind Me" thing. I suppose the most correct answer would be to check your local AMC and see if it's showing; I doubt it will be around here, but yeah.

allegate
02-27-2020, 04:09 PM
I saw that, yeah. the thing is there's a theater ~2 miles from me that a few years ago was the first one in the nation to be outfitted with screens for the 48hz screenings of The Hobbit. years later it was one of the first to get Atmos. now the site doesn't even mention Atmos, nor is it listed on the dolby web page.

grr.

allegate
03-06-2020, 12:58 PM
yeah, I'm not going. apparently there are only two fucking theaters in the entire state of Washington with the capability to do this? fucking hell.

https://pearljam.com/onenightonly/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNj2-J9bXYs

ghostaustin
03-06-2020, 01:41 PM
lolllll nothing in Ohio or PA. Oh well, looks like it would have been a great time

Jon
03-06-2020, 02:44 PM
yeah, I'm not going. apparently there are only two fucking theaters in the entire state of Washington with the capability to do this? fucking hell.

Damn, that sucks. St. Louis and Chicago are more-or-less equidistant for me; there looks to be 6 in the Chicago area and 3 in/around St. Louis (2 in MO). That being said, it'd be a 5-6 hour round trip.

aleywwu
03-06-2020, 06:19 PM

https://pearljam.com/onenightonly/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNj2-J9bXYs

It's a bummer Cinerama is closed for remodeling. I saw PJ20 there whenever it came out and it was a cool experience.

imail724
03-09-2020, 08:51 PM
Tour's been postponed due to Coronavirus fears.

M1ke
03-09-2020, 09:13 PM
tour's been postponed due to coronavirus fears.

fuck!

ltrandazzo
03-09-2020, 09:23 PM
fuck!

Tickets will be honored and they’re working with TM to make the process smooth.

M1ke
03-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Tickets will be honored and they’re working with TM to make the process smooth.

After the fiasco that was selling the extra tickets I had for the Hamilton show, I have zero faith in this process being smooth.

I'll still go when they reschedule, but we were only about 2 weeks away, I was pretty excited. :(

snaapz
03-10-2020, 11:23 AM
After the fiasco that was selling the extra tickets I had for the Hamilton show, I have zero faith in this process being smooth.

I'll still go when they reschedule, but we were only about 2 weeks away, I was pretty excited. :(

I was HAM too! And TOR.

I'm not sure how I feel about this cancellation, whether it was really necessary or not. I think the governments (CAN/USA) need to run awareness programs and ads informing people to STAY AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC if they have a fever and flu like symptoms.

And cover your fucking mouth when you sneeze in public, I fucking HATE people at the mall or grocery store who sneeze and do nothing to reduce icky; like sneeze into shirt, elbow pit... or hold it in or look down at least!

Should gatekeepers at arenas start temping people?

PS. NHL is still in full swing, how is a concert any different? (Other than GA).

allegro
03-10-2020, 03:50 PM
STAY AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC if they have a fever and flu like symptoms.
Except now they’re saying you’re contagious before you start exhibiting the symptoms. Like, perhaps even WEEKS before.

NHL: We have one season game left, and we’re not going.

Not because of people sneezing, but because it’s hard to avoid touching anything. And people touch EVERYTHING. And those surfaces are Petri dishes.

This is gonna be reality for a while.

allegate
03-17-2020, 05:13 PM
so the theater thing is officially cancelled. I do hope they make the Atmos mix available via a blu-ray release.

https://twitter.com/PearlJam/status/1240031393792565248

allegate
03-19-2020, 01:28 PM
https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/FHJAU04_KITFAU_01-4.jpg

happy hunting. at work so I don't know where to look, just that it's somewhere. went home for lunch and I put a cup out for the leak. I'm pretty sure I might know something.

44.1/16/256 is what I've seen as the quality.

allegate
03-20-2020, 10:14 AM
it's, uh....it's pretty good. I've listened to it twice now, working on third. I don't know what I was expecting after the wild swings of the two singles but this is great.

This quote from someone captures my feelings pretty well:

This is an album about surviving past the end. It’s an unexpectedly appropriate subject for this day and age, and Pearl Jam is a uniquely authentic musical voice for it. They are capable of capturing, without fetishistic assumption or romanticism, the real experience of survival. They know what it means to live with losses that you can’t outlive. They know it’s not always going to feel like it was worth it.

So save your predictions, and burn your assumptions. But the band also wants you to feel the natural jubilance of the phrase “there’s much to be done.” Its reaction to the bitter end isn’t trademark fury, but just the same I’m still alive, different day.

The inspirations were clearly (primarily) Trump and climate change, but the band’s empathetic fixation on surviving hardships (both physically and spiritually) make this the ideal album to carry into uncertain quarantine. It’s an album that wants you to feel less alone. First, do no harm. Then: buckle up.

Even the president, lazily disparaged, is then immediately sympathized with in terms the band cannot help but understand. “His best days gone, hard to admit,” and here the smugly-strutting song becomes a mother’s hug. “Angry punches, with nothing to hit.” It’s like a Riot Act song all grown up...still furious for all of the denied and powerless, but now able to find its own reflection in the failures of the powerful.

Pearl Jam used to make albums about surviving the moment. Then, for a while there, they sort of made albums about remembering what it was like to be surviving the moment. Now, they’re finally ready to talk about you do next. Which in its way is just another kind of promise to survive. Whoever said it’s all been said gave up on satisfaction.

I could very well end up humiliated by how much I like this. I’ll live with it. Because whether or not this is a great record, it hits me right now because I’m pretty scared but hoping, and a hope dies last.