PDA

View Full Version : Are we allowed to talk about how awesome and awesome Pino Palladino is?

Jpaulregan
10-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Papagolash
10-14-2013, 06:13 PM
I have a feeling this would have been the same reaction with Adrian Belew. WHY IS HE SITTING ON A STOOL INSTEAD OF ROCKING OUT?!?!

orestes
10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a feeling this would have been the same reaction with Adrian Belew. WHY IS HE SITTING ON A STOOL INSTEAD OF ROCKING OUT?!?!

Actually, that ageist bullshit was pulled already when Belew was initially announced as a touring band member.

RJK
10-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Pino killed it on bass and is on a different level as a player than anyone who has ever been in this band. Who gives a fuck if dude doesn't move, he is an amazing player.

ninlive
10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But Pino is a BEAST. You don't have to be an absolute nut on stage to be an amazing bassist. You have to respect his musical talent. I honestly can't say JMJ was over the top on stage. He was just an amazing musician as well. Trent brings the most talented people on board to tour. Pino is no different. That is what you have to appreciate the most. Hearing him do the March of the Pigs intro synth on bass was pretty fucking epic.

Just my 2 cents.

orestes
10-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Having a bass player that isn't in berserker mode certainly has it's advantages on the rail. The times I stood in front of Jeordie were some of the calmest moments in the pit. ;)

nooneimportant
10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Pino is the best bass player NIN has ever had, and every video I've seen of him he seems to be grooving out to the tunes. He may not be swinging around everywhere like he is having an epileptic fit, but he's feeling the music and that's fine by me. Deal with it.

I love when people get into the music just as much as anybody, but sometimes it's not always the answer.

theimage13
10-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Dave Matthews has a similar problem -- Mr. Tim Reynolds, who has a freakish resemblance to Pino -- but DMB are smart enough to keep Tim and his amazing talents back near the drum riser.

Except for, you know, those entire tours where it's only Dave and Tim right next to each other at the edge of the stage.

Pino may not have been the most visually engaging member of the band (though I'll be honest, I was almost exclusively eyes on Trent for the show I saw), but the guy is a fucking fantastic musician. The only thing I could possibly complain about here is that I don't have the ability to facepalm posts.

BRoswell
10-14-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry to the asshole here...

Well, at least you apologized right away.

screwdriver
10-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Any and all complaints about Pino are null and void. That guy totally transformed the band I heard tonight. Having him be this calm, epic pillar next to TR just felt... right. As did his bass playing.

sick among the pure
10-14-2013, 11:03 PM
He sounds awesome, and I typically watch Trent, Robin, and the visuals. You can have your opinion, but it's just that, your opinion.

henryeatscereal
10-14-2013, 11:23 PM
He does seem "out of place" in NIN... yet i think that's a cool thing, not necessarily bad

TheyCallMeDrug
10-14-2013, 11:37 PM
why dont you listen to what he's producing sound-wise. its fucking amazing and next level compared to any nin bassist prior. period.

SMGDMFH

enoonmai
10-15-2013, 03:31 AM
He's probably one of the best rock bassists alive today, and he's been at it a long time...give a listen to the stuff that he did on Pete Townshend's "Give Blood", which was back in 1985; he was recording with Gary Numan back in '82, and his resume is pretty ridiculous. The guy's in his late 50's, so I wouldn't expect him to be throwing himself around a stage. If this was 1994, yeah...he would stick out a lot more, but the stage shows aren't absolute bedlam like they were 20 years ago.

I just came back from the show in Brooklyn tonight, and one thing stuck out: his sound was incredible. He ended up playing the initial bass synth line for "Survivalism" on a bass guitar, IIRC...and it sounded fucking fantastic. He was also the only core band member who didn't have a stage light on him, so it really wasn't a factor. He was just hanging back and nailing every song.

He's a ringer/hired gun the same way that Josh Freese is, and he's certainly in the same category from a talent perspective. Plus, he laid down one of the funkiest, nastiest basslines on any NIN album ever...I was psyched to see him get a chance to pull it off live.

Frozen Beach
10-15-2013, 02:27 PM
and scares any children in the audience.
any children took to a NIN concert deserve to be scared. It's a NIN show, not the fucking wiggles.

Band member kids get a free pass though.

Jpaulregan
10-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Except for, you know, those entire tours where it's only Dave and Tim right next to each other at the edge of the stage.

Pino may not have been the most visually engaging member of the band (though I'll be honest, I was almost exclusively eyes on Trent for the show I saw), but the guy is a fucking fantastic musician. The only thing I could possibly complain about here is that I don't have the ability to facepalm posts.

Except for, you know, the fact that my post referenced a drum riser, which implies a full band being on stage and NOT one of the Dave and Tim acoustic tours. Nice try try though.

You do get a point for your face palm comment. Carry on.

Morad
10-15-2013, 04:23 PM
I think it actually adds to the maturity of Trent's new line-up. Along with the backup singers, Pino's cool on stage just shows how much the band has evolved. They don't need to be epileptic and frantic anymore. Now they can simply show off their spectacular skills by being composed and into the music itself. Trent himself was very much the same in Toronto, never really leaving his station, except for when he had to go a few steps back to play the piano, and I think it's wonderful. It complements the music itself much more this way.

ZASmusic
10-15-2013, 04:44 PM
I think it actually adds to the maturity of Trent's new line-up. Along with the backup singers, Pino's cool on stage just shows how much the band has evolved. They don't need to be epileptic and frantic anymore. Now they can simply show off their spectacular skills by being composed and into the music itself. Trent himself was very much the same in Toronto, never really leaving his station, except for when he had to go a feet steps back to play the piano, and I think it's wonderful. It complements the music itself much more this way.

You said it! I couldn't agree more.

Avarik
10-15-2013, 06:52 PM
I'll just go ahead and say I hate the fucking backup vocals and the vocalists

Mariqueen should have done it if he fucking insists that it needs to happen... Which it does not.

xmp3x
10-15-2013, 10:23 PM
What I remember from Pino, being in the GA front rows, is that I felt like he was looking at me with an expression of "is this good yet? what you wanted?" and it made me feel like "hmm... I guess I should jump around more". But, it was just in my head I reckon. I honestly thought he was a cool dude. He's like a giraffe with glasses grooving on a bass, which is pretty funny and cool. I like his inclusion in the live band and agree that it helps make for a mature, skilled vibe, which is very much in-tune with Hesitation Marks anyway.

Frozen Beach
10-15-2013, 10:56 PM
He's like a giraffe with glasses grooving on a bass
Damn it, why did Meathead have to quit making cartoons. This would be amazing to see in animated form.

theimage13
10-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Except for, you know, the fact that my post referenced a drum riser, which implies a full band being on stage and NOT one of the Dave and Tim acoustic tours. Nice try try though.

So what you're saying is that if Trent did a scaled down tour with just him and Pino, the "creepy" factor would suddenly be magically irrelevant, the way that "hiding" a Tim Reynolds at a DMB show only matters as long as there are also other people on stage. Check.

Frankly, the only really distracting thing about him being there was that I kept imaging Jeff Goldblum playing bass. And frankly, that's not really a big problem.

Broadbent
10-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Pino Adds a musicianship to the live band that has never been there before, the fact that he is playing bass guitar on songs that have never had that before(Wish, The Wretched) Just adds so much more bottom and groove to songs that just wasn't there before. Creepy and boring to watch? Yes, Soincally orgasmic? Yes Yes.

SM Rollinger
10-16-2013, 07:24 PM
All i gotta say is March of the Pigs with a real bass line for once! Man that shit was just skull crushing!

Yes, it is a little weird, with the mass of musicians on stage (my friend commented after the st. paul show he felt like he was watching a slipknot show for awhile, lol ) but it adds such a dense dynamic to the music that wasnt there before. The songs feel alive and whole, almost making older performances sound, well Trent said it best in those rehearsals, "light and shitty"

r_k_f
10-17-2013, 08:50 AM
All i gotta say is March of the Pigs with a real bass line for once! Man that shit was just skull crushing!

Yes, it is a little weird, with the mass of musicians on stage (my friend commented after the st. paul show he felt like he was watching a slipknot show for awhile, lol ) but it adds such a dense dynamic to the music that wasnt there before. The songs feel alive and whole, almost making older performances sound, well Trent said it best in those rehearsals, "light and shitty"
I was just going to mention the MOTP bass line!! sounded awesome... I can't wait until we get some soundboard recordings from this Tension tour..

tony.parente
10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
He looks like shit on youtube videos but I can promise you that you don't even notice him live. Kind of just fades away into the back, at least in my experience.

eversonpoe
10-17-2013, 05:00 PM
He looks like shit on youtube videos but I can promise you that you don't even notice him live. Kind of just fades away into the back, at least in my experience.

as all of us bassists are supposed to do...right?

SM Rollinger
10-17-2013, 05:08 PM
as all of us bassists are supposed to do...right?
Unless your Peter Steele (RIP) or Geddy fuckin' Lee (best bassist ever IMO)

henryeatscereal
10-17-2013, 06:56 PM
...or Les Claypool :P

icecream
10-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Who cares how boring he is to look at, he is great at his instrument. There are seven other band members to look at, Trent doing his thing, Robin swinging his guitar around etc... On top of that, an amazing light show. Despite all of this, you just focused on Palladino the whole night?

ericy210
10-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Would you rather have a pre programmed synth line?

SerialCarpins
10-19-2013, 12:12 AM
I don't agree....he was a quiet, powerful force...I am a HUGE JMJ fan and really enjoyed watching him play, but Pino just laid down a really solid bassline and anchored the band so well. He is really a great fit for this incarnation of nin...His bass sound was so damn thick. Yeah, he stands pretty still, but you can tell by watching him that he's really into it and pretty intense... I also found that Josh Eustis was pretty immobile during his first few gigs, but he perked up...I am really digging the band lineup....my fav since LITS.

witte
10-26-2013, 04:54 AM

...or Les Claypool :P

I know one who's more better. He runs the 100 m in 10.02 seconds

snaapz
10-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Fuck that! He is an amazing bassist and sounds excellent live. Mind you, I don't remember much from the show... I basically spent the whole time trying to not fall over (GA front).

ThinkIcouldburn
10-26-2013, 01:10 PM
The "I go to NIN concerts to hear awesome music" fans vs The "I go to NIN concerts to watch them fuck stuff up" fans

JonCh101
11-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Have you guys looked at his wiki page? Dude has played with the likes of David Gilmore and Paul Mcartney etc. etc. NIN is lucky to have this guy on board.

SarahConnor
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
This thread has turned into a great way to appreciate this musician, and learn things about his career.

theimage13
11-04-2013, 03:00 PM
First thing I did after the NIN show was...go to bed.

First thing I did after that was crack open the computer, head on over to good ol' Wikipedia, and plug his name in. To say he's had one of the most prolific careers for modern bassists would be a gross understatement. I'm glad Trent has him on board. I wonder if he'll end up in a position with creative input at any time, or if he'll simply continue on as an (incredible) hired gun.

Michalrose
11-05-2013, 12:24 PM
The guy's in his late 50's, so I wouldn't expect him to be throwing himself around a stage. If this was 1994, yeah...he would stick out a lot more, but the stage shows aren't absolute bedlam like they were 20 years ago.

He just turned 56 so he's not quite that ancient. Maybe 20 years ago he would have been throwing himself around the stage but I suspect his style has always been laid back. I was disappointed "old fart" Adrian Belew dropped out of the tour-he is an awesome guitarist, although I do love Robin and was happy to see him live again.

ekrekel
11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Trent cracked a joke last night about Pino breaking a sweat for the first time.

gorast
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Trent cracked a joke last night about Pino breaking a sweat for the first time.

In Orlando, when introducing We Take Mystery (To Bed), he mentioned that Gary Numan and Pino worked together "about 200 years ago" and Pino pointed at himself like "Me? naaaah." It was great.

Pino's an incredible bassist and while, from far away, it looked like he wasn't really moving, I quickly got over that once he played the synth line for March of the Pigs on bass. Like, who the fuck is even capable of that? Dude's a monster.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Have you guys looked at his wiki page? Dude has played with the likes of David Gilmore and Paul Mcartney etc. etc. NIN is lucky to have this guy on board.
Reading that was like a flashback to Josh Freese's wiki page. TR knows great musicians when he sees them.

When I saw this thread was still alive, I wanted to scream. Glad to see that the thread title is no longer representative of the content. :)

m15a
11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
When I saw this thread was still alive, I wanted to scream. Glad to see that the thread title is no longer representative of the content. :)

ditto. i still kind of wish the title was changed, though. free speech and all that, but what if Pino decides to drop by some time? . . not saying he'd be hurt, but it'd be kind of embarrassing for us.

gorast
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
ditto. i still kind of wish the title was changed, though. free speech and all that, but what if Pino decides to drop by some time? . . not saying he'd be hurt, but it'd be kind of embarrassing for us.
"Pino Palladino is the greatest bassist alive and OP is just butthurt" is what I would recommend.

Sarah K
11-06-2013, 01:29 AM
This thread title makes me sad. This tour, at least to me, has been much more about the music and performance. I mean, the lights and everything are still great. But I get the impression that this is much more about presenting the music in the best way possible. That is why there are finally back up singers. Pino is never going to be running around the stage. He is not Aaron North. But he is a world class musician who basically cannot be matched. To hear people be disrespectful of that breaks my heart a little bit.

nooneimportant
11-06-2013, 02:32 AM
In Orlando, when introducing We Take Mystery (To Bed), he mentioned that Gary Numan and Pino worked together "about 200 years ago" and Pino pointed at himself like "Me? naaaah." It was great.

Pino's an incredible bassist and while, from far away, it looked like he wasn't really moving, I quickly got over that once he played the synth line for March of the Pigs on bass. Like, who the fuck is even capable of that? Dude's a monster.

It really surprises me that NIN has never had that MOTP bassline done that way before. I know Jeordie White did Sin on bass, which was pretty awesome but you gotta have the cheesy synth on that. Pino just turns MOTP into a hard ass rock song, and it rules.

maryelle
11-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Yeah that thread title is pretty mean. I almost feel like we could say that about Trent (theoretically; not that that particular assessment would apply at all) because he is NIN and he has put himself out there. Pino or any other band member is a little different, and considering the guy just joined, it seems kind of nasty to say such a thing about him.

It could have been worded a lot more constructively – “I’m not feeling the Pino here; could it be his stage presence that is so unlike what I’m used to?” would have been a nicer way to put things.

I know nobody has to be flowers and sunshine here. But nobody has to be a flaming dick either.

jessamineny
11-06-2013, 07:59 AM
People said JMJ looked idiotic in the band because of his Afro, and wondered if TR had lost his fucking mind by hiring a Scientologist. This thread does not surprise me. :(

gorast
11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
People said JMJ looked idiotic in the band because of his Afro, and wondered if TR had lost his fucking mind by hiring a Scientologist. This thread does not surprise me. :(

That afro was the best thing about JMJ's time in the band (besides, of course, the fact that he was the second-best bassist to be in NIN ever). Makes me wish Lisa Fischer was still rocking this 'do (http://www.ninwiki.com/images/3/38/Lisafischer.jpeg), like when she was touring with The Rolling Stones.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
That afro was the best thing about JMJ's time in the band (besides, of course, the fact that he was the second-best bassist to be in NIN ever). Makes me wish Lisa Fischer was still rocking this 'do (http://www.ninwiki.com/images/3/38/Lisafischer.jpeg), like when she was touring with The Rolling Stones.
Pino's glasses are the new afro. :)

Couldn't help but notice him grooving on ATLITW — surely that oughta lay the "Pino is boring" talk to rest.

gorast
11-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Couldn't help but notice him grooving on ATLITW — surely that oughta lay the "Pino is boring" talk to rest.

Well, that's because he had a real bassline to work with. I've always loved ALTITW's music.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Well, that's because he had a real bassline to work with. I've always loved ALTITW's music.
Bass is the redheaded stepchild of NIN, ain't it? First thing to get tossed when Trent needs another guitar. :p So having a dedicated bass player is something of a statement.

gorast
11-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Bass is the redheaded stepchild of NIN, ain't it? First thing to get tossed when Trent needs another guitar. :p So having a dedicated bass player is something of a statement.

Especially because Josh is still onstage playing guitar the entire time now, so not only can Trent murder us with eight thousand guitars, he can have a disgustingly good bassline underneath it all (heh) as well.

m15a
11-06-2013, 09:26 PM
yay! thanks for the title edit. :D

sick among the pure
11-07-2013, 12:36 AM

And then there was the time people made fun of Josh Freese for being blonde in an all dark hair band. Then he played the Almost Acoustic X-Mas and everyone shut up.

theimage13
11-07-2013, 06:11 AM

waitwaitwaitwaitwait....THEY PLAYED THAT?!??!???!?!?

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Whoops. Sorry for letting that escape from the spoilers thread.

JamesCmuse
11-07-2013, 09:55 AM
This tour better hurry it's ass up and get to Europe...

Halo Infinity
11-07-2013, 08:46 PM
To whoever changed the thread title: Yes, that was both funny and cool. Good on you, and mad props and respect. ;)

Halo Infinity
11-07-2013, 08:56 PM

Oh yes they did! :D And this video obviously deserves a hell of a lot more fucking views. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0saQeqIx_o#t=11

Krazy
11-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Haha!! I've been wondering who he keeps reminding me of and finally got it. Flame on if you want but not kidding on the part of me wondering who in the hell he resembled. (Photoshop experts have at it)....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/84341558-E9E9-4A30-85BD-C45402D4CD4A-466-00000080BFE376E0_zpse0509048.jpg

Ryan
11-07-2013, 09:15 PM
hhahahhahhaha mmmmmkay

Ryan
11-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Trent: "Pino, move around more!"

Pino: "mmm... mmmkay..."

icecream
11-11-2013, 12:48 AM
I had a teacher in high school who looked and talked like Mr. Mackey. Only think missing was the mmmkay. Every time I watch SP I always think of him now. Back on topic, the new title is awesome XD

littlemonkey613
11-11-2013, 01:24 AM

You've literally killed me.

Damn Palladino slays. Such a technical guru. I'm all about that.

Charmingly Miserable
11-12-2013, 09:03 PM
So, I kinda stayed out of this thread until now. After hearing him play Sanctified live, he's pretty damn cool.

Frozen Beach
11-12-2013, 09:48 PM

Trent: "EVERYTHING IS NOT..."
Pino: "mmmkay!"

Charmingly Miserable
11-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Trent: "EVERYTHING IS NOT..."
Pino: "mmmkay!"
Ok. So I could totally see this as an ETS running joke.

theimage13
11-13-2013, 05:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRLIZZd7zP8

gorast
11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Hey, that's the show I was at! I got to see that in person!

Pino really is a monster, listen to that bassline.

Ryan
11-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Haha!! I've been wondering who he keeps reminding me of and finally got it. Flame on if you want but not kidding on the part of me wondering who in the hell he resembled. (Photoshop experts have at it)....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/84341558-E9E9-4A30-85BD-C45402D4CD4A-466-00000080BFE376E0_zpse0509048.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4130/m1fo.jpg

Krazy
11-14-2013, 09:27 PM
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4130/m1fo.jpg

Thats good Ryan. I actually went to ninwiki to see if someone fucked with it, LOLLLLL.

I was slightly disappointed that wasn't his pic there. :-(

Ryan
11-14-2013, 09:29 PM
lol I edit ninwiki a lot, but just made that for shits and giggles.

Kyle
11-18-2013, 12:05 AM

Everytime I see him now I can't unsee this.

TheRealNs1
11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I will agree with others and say that Pino might be the most amazing session bassist ever, but I would much prefer any one else from NIN's historic lineup to be a live bass player. Eric Avery would've been awesome....hell Eustis was fucking awesome.

Broadbent
11-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Eustis was awful. Easily the worst in the history of the band.

Kyle
11-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Josh is still there.

TheRealNs1
11-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Josh is still there.

but not on bass. I vastly prefer Josh' Sanctified vs Pino's Sanctified. And WRT stage energy there really is no contest. FFS you could move Pino right in the back with Allessandro and nobody would ever know. The goddamn BACKUP SINGERS were grooving harder than Pino was.

Kyle
11-18-2013, 07:54 PM
It also sucked on the Dissonance tour when they had that old David Bowie guy on stage for a few songs. The old fucker hardly moved. They should have hid him in the back.

TheRealNs1
11-18-2013, 07:56 PM
It also sucked on the Dissonance tour when they had that old David Bowie guy on stage for a few songs. The old fucker hardly moved. They should have hid him in the back.

lead singer =/= bassist, but I agree with you ;)

srsly, there was something incredibly wrong watching Pino play "Wish" in a live setting. I can only imagine him during the heaviest part of "Wish" wondering what time tea and crumpets was going to be served.

JessicaSarahS
11-18-2013, 07:59 PM

Haha, might as well! ;)

I think Pino is doing a fantastic job. Sounds so lush.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-18-2013, 10:05 PM
srsly, there was something incredibly wrong watching Pino play "Wish" in a live setting. I can only imagine him during the heaviest part of "Wish" wondering what time tea and crumpets was going to be served.
When was the last Wish had a bass player?

They could stick him in the middle of the stage playing with his pinkie while everyone else ran around like it was 1994 and I still wouldn't care.

TheRealNs1
11-18-2013, 10:25 PM

They could stick him in the middle of the stage playing with his pinkie while everyone else ran around like it was 1994 and I still wouldn't care.

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpMgNWgqEOE

memories <3

Kyle
11-18-2013, 10:34 PM

Heck with not caring. I'd think that was pretty awesome.

gorast
11-18-2013, 11:39 PM
LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpMgNWgqEOE

memories <3

I never found Dillinger Escape Plan to be all that impressive, honestly.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that NIN/DEP combo.

I can't get into them either, but I love what they bring to that song. You can never have too much chaos.

Put Pino in there as a rock to anchor the whole thing and it would be perfect.

TheRealNs1
11-19-2013, 10:34 AM

I don't like them at all, but they fucking destroyed that encore.

Kyle
11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
lead singer =/= bassist, but I agree with you ;)

If your implication is that the lead singer shouldn't be in the back of the stage, you should go to a Tool concert. :)

TheRealNs1
11-20-2013, 09:50 PM
If your implication is that the lead singer shouldn't be in the back of the stage, you should go to a Tool concert. :)

I've been to my fair share. He's even hidden in the back for APC/Puscifer shows...just not as deep in the shadows.

Fuzn
11-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Been a fan of his since seeing him play with David Gilmour. After listening to the tapes and going to a few shows, I really can now have a deep appreciation for what he brings to the table when you listen closely. Satellite at the LA show is one I definitely remember sounding pretty great.

Anyone that can even attempt to replace John Entwistle is alright in my book.

Krazy
11-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I've come around to appreciate PP (heh) the last couple shows I've been to. To be fair to previous bassists though I'm wondering how much of a leash they had to duplicate bass lines in for some of the electronic stuff.

Thats definitely part of what's awesome about live NIN though, it's rare that tours are alike. Hope I'm not sounding like a fan boy here but TR definitely has a knack for not fucking things up particularly when things seem a bit odd. (I'll admit to not liking the Belew thing, then having PP and back-ups added into Tension a week before this tour kicked off)

Ryan
11-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I've come around to appreciate PP (heh)

I see what you did there, mmmkay.

Krazy
11-20-2013, 10:41 PM
I see what you did there, mmmkay.

Meathead needs to come out of retirement, minimum just for some South Park meets NIN parodies.

icecream
11-23-2013, 01:43 AM
After seeing Pino play bass for the first time tonight, I must say he was amazing. Trent has put together such a great band this time around, it was really special to see them all together. Hope they do a second leg I can catch.

Broadbent
12-05-2013, 06:36 PM
According to the AMA today no more Pino!!! :(

No more backup singers or Josh Eustis either.

gorast
12-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Speaking of Pino, seeing pro footage of Sanctified fucking destroyed me. That man plays bass like no one else in the world.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Watching the Tension video, this was the first time I could hear him on HLAH. The synths still dominate, but that fretless bass finds stuff to do around it.

martin_b
12-06-2013, 02:43 AM
According to the AMA today no more Pino!!! :(

No more backup singers or Josh Eustis either.

Josh was awesome. I started to like him more than Robin. Well, based on the news, it seems that the upcoming 2014 tour will be something similar to Wave Goodbye tour in 2009.

WorzelG
12-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Pino Palladino's bass in the vevo video is awe-inspiringly good - none of the youtube uploads seem to have brought it out at all

ryanp16
12-06-2013, 07:35 PM
That Sanctified bass makes me want to dance and have sex and never stop.

Amaro
12-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Yes, I had to rewind the intro of Sanctified. Then I watched the whole song a second time. And again...

Fretless intercourse.

konkelo
12-07-2013, 06:54 AM
His playing on the Tension 2013 live video was very impressive! And he looks cool on stage.

icecream
12-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Pino Palladino's bass in the vevo video is awe-inspiringly good - none of the youtube uploads seem to have brought it out at all
He was a probably my favorite part of the show when I saw them. The bass during MOTP and Survivalism was amazing

theimage13
12-07-2013, 12:07 PM
That Sanctified bass makes me want to dance and have sex and never stop.

I tried to make a gif of the Sanctified video from 0:36-0:40, but apparently the internet doesn't want me to do that. If anyone here is good with that kind of stuff, please do. And add ryan's above quote to it.

screwdriver
12-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes, I had to rewind the intro of Sanctified. Then I watched the whole song a second time. And again...

Fretless intercourse.

dude, his tone on this song is fucking amazing ...

Kyle
12-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Josh was awesome. I started to like him more than Robin. Well, based on the news, it seems that the upcoming 2014 tour will be something similar to Wave Goodbye tour in 2009.

Actually, it sounds the exact opposite. For Wave Goodbye, they got rid of the electronics (or at least on stage) and had mostly guitar, drum and bass. This time, they're getting rid of their bass player and extra guitarist, but keeping the synth guy.

copy_of_b
01-13-2014, 11:38 AM
I only just found out that Pino won't be there for the European shows... damn it, he really was a great addition to the band.

sick among the pure
01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Actually, it sounds the exact opposite. For Wave Goodbye, they got rid of the electronics (or at least on stage) and had mostly guitar, drum and bass. This time, they're getting rid of their bass player and extra guitarist, but keeping the synth guy.

Keeping in mind "the synth guy" can also play bass (not like Pino, obviously) I feel like they'll be able to pull off "typical rock" songs, but are focusing on the more electronic side this time around. And I think Martin meant similar in the way of being a 4-piece with 3 of the 4 same people.

Kyle
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Keeping in mind "the synth guy" can also play bass (not like Pino, obviously) I feel like they'll be able to pull off "typical rock" songs, but are focusing on the more electronic side this time around. And I think Martin meant similar in the way of being a 4-piece with 3 of the 4 same people.

Yeah I definitely didn't mean like that. I don't think you'll ever see a NIN show without some of those big rock songs just like the Wave a Goodbye tour wasn't devoid of electronics either.

Toadflax
02-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Aaand he's back to his old tricks again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UJ54CFrDZo

gorast
02-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Poor Seth Meyers, he looks terrified at the beginning of that video.

SM Rollinger
03-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Lol, yes he does!

That was rather excellent though, never would have know if not for the post.

simonn
03-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Never knew Pino was involved in this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjiMN2qJHI&amp;list=RDsFgFFNXahcg&amp;feature=pla yer_detailpage

elevenism
03-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Pino is the best bass player nin has ever brought, imo, and i hope they keep him.

Twiggy, i mean, sorry, "Jeordie," (it's funny how bad he doesn't want to be twiggy anymore...he should have chosen a name like steve or bob or something to REALLY distance himself,) anyway, THAT guy is a mediocre musician who has been VERY lucky. I'm not trying to hurt his feelings if he winds up reading this, but you know, i've seen him fuck up bass lines live i could play when i was ten years old, in NIN and APC too!

I'm sure some of you guys love him, especially Manson fanatics, and this is just my opinion. But Pino is fucking AWESOME, and again, i hope "georgie" or whatever twiggy wants to call himself these days, would like ummm...not play at any nin shows anymore ever.

m15a
03-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Pino is the best bass player nin has ever brought, imo, and i hope they keep him.

Twiggy, i mean, sorry, "Jeordie," (it's funny how bad he doesn't want to be twiggy anymore...he should have chosen a name like steve or bob or something to REALLY distance himself,) anyway, THAT guy is a mediocre musician who has been VERY lucky. I'm not trying to hurt his feelings if he winds up reading this, but you know, i've seen him fuck up bass lines live i could play when i was ten years old, in NIN and APC too!

I'm sure some of you guys love him, especially Manson fanatics, and this is just my opinion. But Pino is fucking AWESOME, and again, i hope "georgie" or whatever twiggy wants to call himself these days, would like ummm...not play at any nin shows anymore ever.

Wait, are you making fun of him for wanting to be known by his birth name?

elevenism
03-30-2014, 02:11 PM
yes, i was....but i didn't realize that was his birth name. So now i just feel sorry for him.
That's a name for which people would give you a hard time where i come from...both in the rough parts of dallas where i grew up AND the redneck ass place i live now.
You know, that post was a little on the harsh side.
I probably should have never brought poor old twiggy into it...i wouldn't want people talking about me that way.

sheepdean
03-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I probably should have never brought poor old twiggy into it...i wouldn't want people talking about me that way.
Quite

And Jeordie's not the best bassist in the world, but he's far from bad, and he's a talented musician on top of that

elevenism
03-30-2014, 02:40 PM
perhaps i'm somewhat bitter at only having had minimal local success in all of the bands i've been in while watching people...people i can play circles around...making fucking millions of dollars.

Krazy
03-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Jesus.

If Jeordie goes missing soon I guess we know where to alert the cops to.

sheepdean
03-30-2014, 02:47 PM
perhaps i'm somewhat bitter at only having had minimal local success in all of the bands i've been in while watching people...people i can play circles around...making fucking millions of dollars.
Jeordie is far better than bassists from most popular bands though? And perhaps you're actually not as good as you think if you've been in so many bands...

Fist Fuck
03-30-2014, 03:32 PM
What's the point of bringing up Jeordie in this thread? He's a great musician, just didn't really fit in NIN. He's way happier with Manson now, and that's a good thing.

Pino wasn't the "typical NIN bassist", but he's an amazing player and Trent was happy to work with him.

sick among the pure
03-30-2014, 04:10 PM
What's the point of bringing up Jeordie in this thread? He's a great musician, just didn't really fit in NIN. He's way happier with Manson now, and that's a good thing.

Pino wasn't the "typical NIN bassist", but he's an amazing player and Trent was happy to work with him.

Jeordie was as lively on stage as Pino, but wasn't nearly the same technical level, so it was boring to watch AND listen to.
I don't see why they were ever compared.

Kyle
03-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Listening to what happened to Manson after Jeordie left, his real strength was songwriting. There was a huge jump in quality from Portrait to ACS which was when he started. An a huge jump the other way when he left.

And songwriting ability will get you infinitely further in popularity than technical skill.

sick among the pure
03-30-2014, 09:17 PM
And songwriting ability will get you infinitely further in popularity than technical skill.

But since Jeordie wasn't brought in for songwriting, it's a mute point.

Krazy
03-30-2014, 09:21 PM
"moot" :|

Kyle
03-30-2014, 09:25 PM
But since Jeordie wasn't brought in for songwriting, it's a mute point.
For NIN yeah. I just mean in general.

elevenism
03-31-2014, 12:33 AM
sheepdean, i am a damn good guitar player.
and i didn't say i had been in a whole lot of bands ...i said that all of the bands i had been in had only achieved minimal success, and it may have embittered me.
i've been playing guitar for 27 years...starting at 7 years old, and that's one of the few things that i actually do REALLY well.

VERY few people "make it."

But this thread isn't about Jeordie White and it's DAMN sure not about me.
Like i said, i shouldn't have talked shit about the man in such a rude way.
But i am sticking to my guns on this. His bass playing bores the shit out of me and i've heard him make rookie mistakes live.
Pino, on the other hand, was fucking AWESOME.

I apologize for stepping on anyone's toes.

sick among the pure
03-31-2014, 03:58 PM
"moot" :|

"Mewt." :3

theimage13
04-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Let's just get back to talking about how awesome Pino is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKvmEJbsB-A

TheRealNs1
04-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Pino is awesome.

As part of the John Mayer Trio.

//edit

Pino's basslines during satellite is fucking badass though.

http://vimeo.com/90368293

elevenism
04-12-2014, 09:14 AM
pino kicks ass. i love to see nin with some fucking technical prowess. i hope it becomes a trend....there is so much that could be done live with hot shot hired gun musicians.

Charmingly Miserable
02-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Pino slapping bass for D'Angelo on SNL (http://www.stereogum.com/1733594/watch-dangelos-stunning-saturday-night-live-debut/video/). Does anyone know if he played bass for D'Angelo on the record? If so, I'm gonna have to listen to Black Messiah again and appreciate it even more.

Camille
02-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Pino slapping bass for D'Angelo on SNL (http://www.stereogum.com/1733594/watch-dangelos-stunning-saturday-night-live-debut/video/). Does anyone know if he played bass for D'Angelo on the record? If so, I'm gonna have to listen to Black Messiah again and appreciate it even more.
Yes he does, and is currently in his touring band.