PDA

View Full Version : 2013.10.11 - Boston, MA @ TD Garden

orestes
10-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Please post only if you attended tonight's show.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3096/2811522088_da5fb22bb1.jpg

The Great Destroyer
10-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Holy shit that was a good show. My ears are still ringing!

I thought the setlist was really well balanced, the song visuals were great and I had a blast. Only two complaints: the idiot frat boys sitting around me kept complaining about how they didn't like the HM songs and sometimes Trent's vocals were too low in the mix. I think his mic wasn't working for the first verse of Terrible Lie, though.

ryanmcfly
10-11-2013, 11:53 PM
That was hands down the best show I've ever been too. We weren't too close when they started, but we ended up almost to the rail. The guy at the soundboard gave me a setlist on the way out! In This Twilight, Even Deeper, While I'm Still Here were the highlights for me. Now we have a the rest of the weekend to spend here in Boston, and the Patriots game on sunday!

Digital_Man
10-12-2013, 12:09 AM
It was great. Perfect setlist, amazing performance.

jhulud
10-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Show was awesome. Even though we had nosebleeds up in the third level side a and didn't get the full impact of the visuals and lights, it was still great. Setlist was balanced as already mentioned. The band sounded great. The addition of the two female singers was a great touch especially on the rearranged songs.

My only gripe was the very meh-ness of the merch, especially the shirts, and those prices. $45 for a shirt?!?! Yikes!

pibbsman
10-12-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't understand why t-shirts at concerts got so expensive. I stopped buying them when they went about $25. Hell, even the bootleggers outside are higher than that now.

That being said, definitely a great show. Always good to hear Into the Void. At least from the third level, the concert didn't sound as loud as I would have expected.

Andrew
10-12-2013, 08:07 AM
In This Twilight was completely unexpected, might have been my personal highlight. Also Ilan going nuts at the end of Black Noise, visuals during Satellite (looked like original Tron) and I forget what else. Great show and very glad I went.

TR camped out at front-of-house checking out Godspeed You! Black Emperor, right around the time they were melting their filmstrips
http://common.nincatalog.com/doc/20131011-tr.jpg

Rob Sheridan surveying the scene after the show (happy birthday Rob)
http://common.nincatalog.com/doc/20131011-rs.jpg

mutato
10-12-2013, 09:08 AM
That was my 6th NIN show and must say the best, outside of Bowery Ballroom. The crowd was amazing and into it. I always hate when it's a lackluster sit in your seat crowd. Just awesome. Only downside was that I didn't see the outside merch tent that had that 'limited' edition posters. Someone posted on the Upcoming show thread that TD Bank wouldn't allow them to have an outside tent. Was anyone able to find those limited posters inside? I didn't and ended up grabbing just the 'inside' arena one that's been posted on here.

jessamineny
10-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I think this was the best performance of "Find My Way" that I've seen so far. He was totally all-in last night.

And the house security team might have been the best I've ever encountered. All we had to do was point out to them that a gaggle of drunk assholes might cause them a problem for the night, and not only did they watch them but they sent security into the pit to have a talk with them. And when they kept causing problems after the opener, they actually pulled two of them out. Beyond impressed.

Dra508
10-12-2013, 10:26 AM
The lights, the lights were amazing.

Dude a couple down from me who sang every song like he was in his teenage bedroom, screaming at the mirror - awesome
Bro in the row in front of me who went for beer like 6 times. Did you pay for your seats because you missed half the show? - stay away, you obstructed my perfect view.

I personally don't like the set list to end with Hurt, but whatever - the lights for every song were amazing.

raehex
10-12-2013, 10:34 AM
(Wow I haven't been on here in so long I actually had to make a new log in...)

I was in the loge, section 5, had fabulous view, even if I was behind the front-of-house. Had an awesome time zoning out to GY!BE, someone in front of me who was significantly older than me goes "did you get that? I didn't get it..." Like, dude, I may only be 22, but my uncle introduced me to them when I was 11, and I appreciated the hell out of that opening act. Totally set the mood.

Trent needs to keep the female backup vocals forever, they KILLED it during Into The Void. And I audibly screamed "HE'S ACTUALLY PLAYING IT" when they started "Even Deeper." And, correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't play "Closer" at all except for the fleeting references to it during the end of "All Time Low," yes?

Just, best show, I had no words except high pitched whining to my boyfriend, because my brain was sufficiently melted. And Ilan Rubin deserves every bit of applause he got, good lord that man is a machine.

Jon Griffin
10-12-2013, 11:15 AM
My first NIN show and they did NOT disappoint. Absolutely blown away. Got rail too, which made it even better. Can't wait for next time (PLEASE DO A SECOND NORTH AMERICAN LEG TRENT)

Kiki2u
10-12-2013, 11:23 AM
And the house security team might have been the best I've ever encountered. All we had to do was point out to them that a gaggle of drunk assholes might cause them a problem for the night, and not only did they watch them but they sent security into the pit to have a talk with them. And when they kept causing problems after the opener, they actually pulled two of them out. Beyond impressed.

Agree. Those guys were great. I was center rail and about a dozen people were pulled out over me. Did you see the 40ish guy that they got over?? He must have weighed close to 300 lbs..no lie..I don't know how the hell those guys got him out. It took like 8 of them to do it.

Highlights:
Into the Void..really happy that got into the set.
Even Deeper.. love that arrangement.
Rob was filming Satellite (correct me if I'm wrong)..can't wait to see that video.
Ilan killed it during Survivalism, Black Noise..insanity.

Overall I loved the Fragile heavy set..Trent was really into it. Pit was a bit rougher than usual..for some reason it got even a little pushy during A Warm Place (really, people?). Got a few of the usual bruises, but avoided getting kicked in the head, didn't lose any teeth...so that's always good..

Oh and a special shout-out to the 6'-5' guy pressed against me at the rail for wearing a FLEECE jacket..good choice, buddy. It really felt fucking great being next to a furnace all night, so thanks for that.

thom25
10-12-2013, 11:30 AM
WOW, what a GREAT show (31st). I saw most of the YouTube videos prior, and the production still exceeded my expectations and blew me away. We barely made the show because one friend was supposed to fly in from Philly, but US Air cancelled his flight, so he drove up leaving Philly at 1 PM. (true dedication) All three of us got to the Garden at 8:30, while the third person in our group (20 yo) LOVES HTDA, had never really listened to NIN, and had never been to a full production arena show, so we insisted he check it out. Needless to say, he was more than impressed, and think NIN now has another fan. Because he was new to NIN and arena shows, we were on the floor about half way back to avoid the "crush" of people up front, and to take in the full production (we have 8th row center in CT). Due to our floor position, the sound was good, but there were a few minor problems, like what appeared to be a dead mike during the beginning of Terrible Lie, and some echo during a couple of songs due to the building's acoustics. Minor observations. The show rocked, the crowd as great and on their feet throughout the show, and it was certainly the best production I've ever seen. I personally believe this blew the LITS tour out of the water - the song selection and visuals were just perfect. I do miss Gave Up and Closer, and would have loved to have heard Just Like you Imagined, but given the breath of the entire NIN catalogue, I doubt I'll ever hear all my favorite songs in one show because there are just too many. Can't wait for CT tonight and Vegas next month - AMAZING show !

Oh, and thank you Rob for the set list.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3771/u1p4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/u1p4.jpg/)

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9083/bvit.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/bvit.jpg/)

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2181/wjrc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/30/wjrc.jpg/)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4569/mhz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/mhz3.jpg/)

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/908/d4rp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/d4rp.jpg/)

Amazing show - and shocked how good my Nexus 4 took the pictures above - and epic night.

Doug Whitehorn
10-12-2013, 12:22 PM

I think I was right next to you then. Those assholes were right behind me when the pushed up. The security was ready for them.

Anyway, the show was amazing. 9th time seeing NIN and they never fail to impress. The ending to While I'm Still Here was amazing. I'm actually very happy that they left Closer and Gave Up off the setlist. I thought wire to wire, it was a fantastic show.

bgalbraith
10-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Really enjoyed the show and happy to get a Fragile-heavy set list. Good to see @jessamineny (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=342) and @ItsJustDave (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6), and sorry I missed @Andrew (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=87). We were in loge 8, behind and to the left of the sound booth, so we had a pretty decent view of the visuals, which were great. The inevitable shouting during Hurt wasn't too bad -- I was actually more annoyed by it during The Frail, when a guy near us thought that "Bring it, Trent!" was an appropriate thing to shout at that moment. The crescendo at the end of While I'm Still Here / Black Noise was intense and amazing.

Also, I had no concept of what GY!BE was going to be like, but I enjoyed their performance. Definitely will check out more of their music.

Rob was filming Satellite (correct me if I'm wrong)..can't wait to see that video.

The camera he had was being used to generate the background visuals during the song.

RobinTMP
10-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Terrific show (of course), although I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not especially familiar w/the HM material, seeing as I haven't bought the album yet (have pity on me, please--I've been out of work since January, am brokeass as a result, and was only able to go to the show at all thanks to the kindness of a friend who gave me one of her tickets because she knew I couldn't afford one...). We were in Loge 8, so the view of the light show was phenomenal. I think I've been spoiled over the years, though, having spent most of the shows from 2005 on in fan club sections/on the floor; I swear I don't recall there being quite as many drunken bros in those sections as there were near me last night. The guys in front of me had at least 5 beers each and started smoking to boot (tobacco, to which I'm allergic, grrr...), and were very into the "hugging each other and yelling" thing all night long; the clincher was during "Hurt," when they turned around to yell at the bunch of drunken bros behind us who were also yelling, to tell them to stop yelling. (Irony, we has it...)

This was Show #26 for me (which impresses everyone except other longtime NIN fans, since we all know people whose show count is doubtless in triple digits by now), and was the first in which they didn't play "Closer"--presumably Trent's decided to shake up the set list a bit, eh? (I mentioned this to the cabbie on my way home last night, and his response was a shocked "What do you mean they didn't play the 'I want to fuck you like an animal' song?!?" Sorry, Trent, but your tombstone isn't going to say "Said 'fist fuck', won a Grammy;" it'll be "Wrote the 'I want to fuck you like an animal' song"...just warning you now, bubela. :rolleyes: ) Have to say I did miss that one, along with "Gave Up," which is possibly my favorite NIN song live, and always very cathartic for me ever since the 2nd Orpheum show in May '05, when I pounded on the back of the seat in front of me so hard I ended up bruising my hands. This is all a matter of "I wish that...", though, and is not intended as criticism of the band at all, since they (of course!) Kicked Major Ass. And yes, Ilan is scary good, and the backup singers a good addition to the sound as well.

Have fun at Mohegan Sun, everyone, and if you see Rob Sheridan, tell him I would definitely have brought him chocolate chip cookie dough truffles yesterday had I known it was his birthday! (Hey, as the Pamela Des Barres of baked goods, I have a reputation to uphold... :) )

otnavuskire
10-12-2013, 12:42 PM

The camera was feeding directly to the visuals on the screen, creating an abstract, 3D image of whatever he was pointing the camera at. I'm guessing he's on stage doing that every night.

Last night was my 15th time seeing them and they never disappoint! I was on the rail right in front of Pino. Crowd wasn't too rough on that side. Got one of Josh's picks that he threw at the end of the show, too!

mutato
10-12-2013, 04:15 PM
One of my fav shots of the night, makes a perfect background for my computer.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1377492_10100825737337632_1493115100_n.jpg

Kiki2u
10-12-2013, 04:36 PM
The camera was feeding directly to the visuals on the screen, creating an abstract, 3D image of whatever he was pointing the camera at. I'm guessing he's on stage doing that every night.

Thanks! Planning on hanging in the back of the pit for 1 show so I can enjoy the visuals...otherwise I never know what the hell goes on overhead ;)

theimage13
10-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Both bands are up on Dime now. Haven't looked to see if RITC also has it.

millionmilesaway
10-12-2013, 08:57 PM
great show loved the visuals, had an excellent view of them from lodge 5. I think Survivalism was my favorite, the beginning I couldn't figure out if Trent was actually there because of the effect of the lights on him made him look all stop motion glitchy. The guys next to me totally lost their shit when they played the frail/The wretched which I can understand because they are also in my top of live favorites. I was glad he didn't play Closer, but sad we didn't get TDTWWA. I didn't really care for the newer songs to be honest. The singing style where he stretches the words (especially in Find my way) bothers me, I just think its not a good fit for his voice. The backup singers were a cool addition though. and Ilan is a crazy drumming machine.

my boyfriends review wasn't so positive, his opinion was that they weren't really trying and relied on the lights to entertain instead. I agree that the band gets a bit stiff when the production is so complex, when I saw them during wave goodbye they at least moved around the stage a bit. Also Trent is older and definitely not going to be destroying anything these days. I probably shouldn't have taken him since he is not a fan but he insisted on on me not going alone and wanted to see GY!BE. After the opener he sat in his seat the entire time and sulked while wearing earplugs, he didn't even try to have fun which really put a damper on the show for me :(

Strangely my ears had no ringing sensation afterward even though it was plenty loud. After the show I went to my Bosses apartment right next to the garden and we drank absinthe till 2am, snuggled with cats and looked at old pictures of her goth days from 25 years ago. This was her first show and she loved it +10 cool points for Dr. P

ItsJustDave
10-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Andrew We were within a few feet of one another for most of the show. I was standing to the right of the soundboard. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.

I've seen 3 shows at this point and hands down the best spot is on the floor. The visual effects don't really get their full effect unless you're viewing them straight on. I was amazed at the amount of perceived depth during Disappointed. I knew full well that there were only 3 screens, but it seemed like so many more.

Regrettably, the drive into Boston was horrible and we ended up getting to the venue so late that we missed much of GY!BE's set.

Andrew
10-13-2013, 08:28 AM
exactly. After being in an off-center seat for the LITS tour, this time I wanted to be on the floor and as centered as possible for visual experience, and I got that, and it was worth it.If you were wearing an ETS shirt, definitely spotted you. I wasn't giving up my comfy leaning spot on the fence there, though. I took a panorama from down there of the whole crowd right before NIN started, will post that in a bit.

edit: here's the panorama (http://common.nincatalog.com/doc/20131011-pan.jpg). Note the lack of projectors. This photo's timestamp is 9:06 and I think NIN kicked off around 9:15.

Dra508
10-13-2013, 09:44 AM
. The inevitable shouting during Hurt wasn't too bad -- .I had one of those twits near me. More interesting was how many people left during the encore. Btw, I like it when there is no encore.

FULLMETAL
10-13-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm still loving this fucking tour! A great stop in Boston and great queue minus the crazy TD Garden security. Card games were played, oreos were thrown, t'was nice having a civil bunch of like minded people tailgating for the show.

"While I'm Still Here" continues to be my defining moment for this tour, but "The Wretched", "Into The Void", "Even Deeper", and "Survivalism" are not far behind.

zaps30
10-13-2013, 12:48 PM
The show was great despite being in the nosebleed section. Hearing Into the Void live for the first time was great. You can add people yelling during the Frail to people yelling during Hurt...annoying. Overall, fantastic.

mutato
10-13-2013, 03:58 PM
@Andrew (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=87) We were within a few feet of one another for most of the show. I was standing to the right of the soundboard. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.

I've seen 3 shows at this point and hands down the best spot is on the floor. The visual effects don't really get their full effect unless you're viewing them straight on. I was amazed at the amount of perceived depth during Disappointed. I knew full well that there were only 3 screens, but it seemed like so many more.

Regrettably, the drive into Boston was horrible and we ended up getting to the venue so late that we missed much of GY!BE's set.

We must have hit the same traffic on 90 east. Felt like 40 miles of going 10-20mph. Was awful.

ItsJustDave
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
We must have hit the same traffic on 90 east. Felt like 40 miles of going 10-20mph. Was awful.

Yeah, we came in from Buffalo. Looking over the trip data from http://automatic.com now. 48 miles traveled between 4pm (Blandford) and 6pm (Charlton). That was followed by about an hour and a half to drive the last 50 miles. Toll plaza was a disaster area. 3 accidents just as we were coming through. I was very afraid for my Veloster.

ryanmcfly
10-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Well, after that football game, and the NIN concert, this was the best weekend ever for me. I don't want to go back to Texas, but I guess I have to. Can't wait to come back to Boston next year.

pibbsman
10-14-2013, 12:21 PM
95 and 93 North Traffic weren't any better. Hit about 10 miles of traffic on 93, then finally picked up a bit of speed once we got past the machine shutting down the HOV lane. Got back into traffic as we got to the tunnel.

Parking prices around the Garden are absolutely ridiculous. $36? I walked about 4 blocks from where we parked, and all it cost me was $12 for the night.

GulDukat
10-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Amazing show. Hope to get an official DVD of this tour. Luckily I wasn't around any drunk assholes, just irritating people with smart phones.

NoneOfThisIsReal
10-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Anyone have a solid download link for this? RITC's is half-decent at best...

NoneOfThisIsReal
10-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Dime link? Less than impress w/ RITC's.

theimage13
10-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Dime link? Less than impress w/ RITC's.

It's the same recording.

darktemplar007
11-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Highlight of the show for me, 2 minutes in a guy in front of me was trying to swim through A Warm Place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3zmIjGf78&feature=youtu.be