PDA

View Full Version : 2013.10.08 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Petersen Events Center

orestes
10-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Please post only if you attended tonight's show in Pittsburgh.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/77f0aaad8b38dcff679de34afd936d0a/tumblr_mnb9jtFEea1r54m4yo1_500.jpg

Krazy
10-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Holy fucking shit!!!

thats my review for now. They tightened some of the technical problems from the first show.

I'll be honest and say I can be too critical of them at times- this is one of, if not the best, "production" shows ive ever seen. Sounded fuckng fantastic as well. 10/10

Denim Chicken
10-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Fantastic show! Crowd was way better than Cleveland. Can't remember the full order setlist but we got satellite, into the void, the day the world went away! and even deeper. I think everything else was the usual. Trent sounds great and it's awesome to see the energy he still has for this.

xfocalinx
10-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Amazing show! like I expected!! Shout out to all my pre-sale homies who joined me on telling thet random people the different bands that we were seeing!

Krazy
10-08-2013, 10:46 PM
And to the dick head in sec 124 row S, seat 1: I seriously hope you burn in fucking hell, cocksucker. Not because I hate you (I do), just don't want you to pro-create, "dawg". Fucking pussy.

xfocalinx
10-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Go on...share the story.

thefooman007
10-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Awesome show.
1- Trent and crew sounded great.
2- Crazy cool to see Robin again.
3- Stage effects were sweet.
4- Long encore.
5- Merch was boooring. I bought some anyway for the cause.
6- The girl in 124 who was doing her Chewbacca war cry at random times during the show... please stop doing that... nobody wants that on their bootleg.

Krazy
10-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Go on...share the story.

Ehhh.... there's always a few potential people (I'll use that term loosely) that can ruin any concert, this one decided to do RIGHT AFTER THE BEGINNING Of 'Copy of a'.

Basically said moron doesn't know how to count, accuses me of stealing/being in his seat, he then might or might not wanted to fight (still not sure what he was trying to prove), gets upnear me and i out my hand him lightly in one of those "OK, just GTFO now gestures", moron then procedes to flop like Manu Ginobili circa 2005 playoffs like their was an NBA ref nearby to kick me out or some shit.

I'll leave it at that and move on. Otherwise I thought the crowd was pretty damn good, NIN sounded great, and they added a at least a couple of real-time visual effects that I definitely did not see at the first show. (been staying away from YT vids as to not get bored with upcoming shows)

jeffdill
10-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Damn. This show was way better than the Cleveland show. I bought a ticket at the last minute on a whim, I can't believe GA tickets were still available. The sound was PERFECT, kudos to the technicians. The crowd was actually getting into the show, the smaller venue helped I think. I loved that version of "The Day the World Went Away." The new tracks sound great live too.

Trent seemed really pissed off between two of the songs (I don't remember which two)...any idea what went wrong?

Protip: If you're standing in the front center of the floor at a Nine Inch Nails show, there will be moshing on some songs. If you don't like that then move to either side or buy a damn seat ticket. There's no need to act like a dick and roid rage on me when I get pushed into you. Also, some dude started throwing punches in the pit, no idea why. Don't be that guy. I'm pretty sure some big dude came in and broke his nose before throwing him out of the pit.

Also, LOL at the girlfriends who clearly didn't want to be at that show. I've been there before. I just find it funny. Cheers!

Ripe(withdecay)
10-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Best fucking show of my life. The setlist was great, I can't believe they played Into the Void, The Day The World Went Away, and Even Deeper! I can't express how great the show was, thank you Trent!

theperfectdruga
10-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Great show last night, it was like they were touring for The Fragile, unreal. I don't remember them playing that many Fragile songs during that tour.

head_lice
10-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Got there late for stupid reasons about 4 songs in and there was still a lot of room on the floor. Trent mentioned something along the lines he's happy he was able to perform in the first place, currently perform and thanked the audience for supporting him. Also that he's from north of here and that we all know how its like. Glad I purposely went to the back floor for disappointed, find my way, and haunted visuals compared to being on the rail for Montreal. Like others stated, the setlist was a fragile night. Hoping for the Big Comedown when he does the run down the Southern part of the States. Given, last night's somewhat damaged was one if not the best version I've heard played. It definitely sounded harder than usual. Im on my (not so smart)phone so apologies for the typos :)

head_lice
10-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Jeffdill, I think the sound or guitar was cutting out at the beginning of wish was one of the songs he was getting sore about.

xfocalinx
10-09-2013, 12:08 PM
So, I just counted, out of seeing NIN 3 times, last night, they played 15 songs I've never got to experience live before (with two of my favorites making their debut with The Wretched and Into the void!)

k258
10-09-2013, 02:13 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68720305@N04/10174093333/

It was a very special night!

Since I let my hair revert to its natural color (gray), I've been looked on as something of a curiosity. Older chick, rocking out on the barricade. I feel like like a pit mom, of sorts - giving pointers and telling war stories. I really enjoy sharing the excitement of the young fans experiencing their first shows, their first barricades. Hearing about their entry points: Year Zero, The Slip. It's like the tide from 5 or 6 years ago is finally washing ashore with people now old enough to experience NIN live. It was also interesting to see which other veterans were present - vets that have racked up far more shows than I have. This was number 39 for me.

Best part of the pre-show hours was the drama-free line. I've been through all sorts of hell over the years. But to arrive in the afternoon to find an indoor, stanchioned line with access to rest rooms and food made me feel like a valued patron. And to be given a numbered wrist band made a long-time dream come true. It alleviated the stress of wondering how many line-jumpers and careless venue personnel might fuck-up my hours in line and my concert viewing position inside. Instead, I had a really fun day. Thank you Kristin! (Kristen?)

And, I can't say enough about the friendly (but firm!) head of band security! This gregarious man went out of his way to make us feel welcomed and protected. I'm sorry I didn't catch his name, but will make a point of finding out. BIG thanks to him!

k258
10-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Explosions in the Sky are one of my favorite bands, anyway. They played an epic set, as usual. I was heartened by the enthusiasm of the crowd in general and of many of the fans around me. There will always be those unwilling to like any band standing between them and NIN, but for me, this was an ideal opener. Musical, beautiful, loaded with emotional crescendos - the music fills the room and fills your spirit. I can't watch those guys without getting swept up and swept away.

thefooman007
10-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Did anybody meet NIN? I waited by the buses for like an hour after the show let out and gave up after that.

xfocalinx
10-09-2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68720305@N04/10174093333/

It was a very special night!

Since I let my hair revert to its natural color (gray), I've been looked on as something of a curiosity. Older chick, rocking out on the barricade. I feel like like a pit mom, of sorts - giving pointers and telling war stories. I really enjoy sharing the excitement of the young fans experiencing their first shows, their first barricades. Hearing about their entry points: Year Zero, The Slip. It's like the tide from 5 or 6 years ago is finally washing ashore with people now old enough to experience NIN live. It was also interesting to see which other veterans were present - vets that have racked up far more shows than I have. This was number 39 for me.

Best part of the pre-show hours was the drama-free line. I've been through all sorts of hell over the years. But to arrive in the afternoon to find an indoor, stanchioned line with access to rest rooms and food made me feel like a valued patron. And to be given a numbered wrist band made a long-time dream come true. It alleviated the stress of wondering how many line-jumpers and careless venue personnel might fuck-up my hours in line and my concert viewing position inside. Instead, I had a really fun day. Thank you Kristin! (Kristen?)

And, I can't say enough about the friendly (but firm!) head of band security! This gregarious man went out of his way to make us feel welcomed and protected. I'm sorry I didn't catch his name, but will make a point of finding out. BIG thanks to him!

OH MY GOD! Sharon was your name, correct? I'm Steve, The dude who was standing right next to you
! Thanks for being so awesome! I felt like it was just you and me that were rocking out! Glad to see you made it back home!

k258
10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
OH MY GOD! Sharon was your name, correct? I'm Steve, The dude who was standing right next to you
! Thanks for being so awesome! I felt like it was just you and me that were rocking out! Glad to see you made it back home!

Hey you! The name's Kathy. You were a great rail buddy!

xfocalinx
10-09-2013, 04:51 PM
NO IDEA where I got "Sharon" from..Clearly I hit my head too much!

k258
10-09-2013, 08:10 PM
One of the things I love about Trent that he continually updates his style. He looked great. I love the hairstyle. I love the drop crotch trousers. He rocks it. I thought the added leather jacket was hot, but I had to wonder about how they deal with the sweat situation. It's a great-looking jacket. Is it expensive? Do they clean it? Are there a bunch of them so that they can throw one out each time? Idle thoughts from a sometimes costume designer. Who selects wardrobe, anyway? Who maintains it? I'd love either of those jobs.

xfocalinx
10-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Trent's Drop-crotch pants looks like he has a diaper full of poo-poo

sins0ffreck
10-10-2013, 06:59 AM
xfocalinx our chunk of the line was pretty awesome, i was the blond girl with glasses who got into line around 10am :)

Sarah Hailey
10-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Where can I find pictures of the show? I got some, but my camera phone suxorz. Seriously, what a visually stunning, high-sound-quality, awesome show!

k258
10-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Trent's Drop-crotch pants looks like he has a diaper full of poo-poo
Heidi Klum on Project Runway calls them "poopie pants." But I like them. I own a couple of pairs myself.

k258
10-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Trent knows how to masterfully construct a show. He manipulates the crowd like a dj in a dance club: working up to a frenzy, backing off, cooling it down, then working back up again. You are always ensnared in a visual and musical net. Never bored. Time flies. Copy of A makes a great lift hill, leading into 1,000,000 and Terrible Lie with MOTP as the first crescendo. A classic power opening. I always brace myself for MOTP. It's the point in the show where you learn the level of mayhem in the crowd. The surge, the crush, the surfers. On a mayhem scale of 1 to 5, this crowd rated about 1.25. That's not a value judgment. Times have changed. Maybe this culture of NIN fans just isn't into or accustomed to the sweat-swapping, sternum-bruising crush. Most of the people around me were quiet couples. Or maybe the guy behind me saw my gray hair and felt like he had to protect me, absorbing the crush behind him. Either way, I didn't need the change of clothes I brought with me in the car. I kind of missed the crush. It's viscerally exciting. I didn't miss having to dodge surfer feet and squinting through steamed up glasses. The best part, though, was being able to move around, jump, rock out. Crushes of yore sometimes had me hanging on for dear life. In a good way.

k258
10-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Here's the thing about seeing the show from the barricade, it is not the best vantage point from which to experience the visuals. Especially when the grid comes down. It's also not the best place for a well-balanced sound mix. These are things you give up in exchange for being close. I can say that I loved the way the show transforms from intimate to vast, from monochromatic into richly colored and textured. From soothing to a sensory onslaught. There is always something interesting to look at. And, wow, instant smoke!

I love this band line-up. Ilan hits those drums with explosive energy. Josh can play anything, and looks damned good doing it. Pino is cool. His bass feels like an earthquake sometimes. He has this bemused expression that makes me imagine what he might be thinking. Alessandro quietly does his job incognito, as usual. Robin is well-loved for good reason. His guitar spews real emotions.

I loved the back-up singers! But here's where the sound mix, or my high end filtering earplugs, got in the way. There were times when I saw their lips moving, but could not hear them - Came Back Haunted was one place in particular. Was Trent playing it safe by dialing them back? He doesn't need to. When you think about back-up singers, you immediately think they are going to transform the songs into R&B. That wasn't the case. Instead, it kind of added an extra dimension, an extra vocal layer, leaving Trent free to maybe do something different with his vocals. Or to save his voice a little. I was surprised at how many songs they sang in. I thought they were going to be mostly used in the newer material, that some of the older songs would be considered sacred. Back-up singers in The Wretched? Really? It was fantastic! My favorite use of the singers was the solo vocalization by - I haven't learned their names yet, sorry! - during Even Deeper. Chilling and thrilling. More, please!

xfocalinx
10-10-2013, 12:45 PM
@xfocalinx (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=778) our chunk of the line was pretty awesome, i was the blond girl with glasses who got into line around 10am :)

No offense, but due to being at the venue all day, and hitting my head as much as I do, I don't recall who you were. Sorry :-X

k258
10-10-2013, 03:18 PM
And then there was Trent. If he wasn't such a dynamic, charismatic performer, we wouldn't all be here, would we? He's the shining orb around which all of these sights and sounds swirl. The more stable his life, the more commanding his performance. I'd say, he's the best he's ever been. Present, focused, powerful, honest. Some things get better with age.

Okay, here's my one and only complaint about this tour - the merch prices. I can't pay that much.

FULLMETAL
10-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Well, I don't have anything to add that hasn't been so eloquently stated by k258. I have some pictures, but this hotel has ass connectivity. I'm enjoying the tour thus far and am looking forward to the new opener in Boston.