PDA

View Full Version : No "Everything" in Tension?

Bluebird
10-08-2013, 11:32 AM
So, unless I'm mistaken, all the Hesitation Marks songs have been played at the shows so far EXCEPT Everything and In Two. Will these be the two HM tracks to join the infamous ranks of never-played-live songs?

I remember hearing what I assumed was rehearsal audio of Everything, and I think I remember reading that it was originally on one of the festival set lists, but was then scrapped. So we know there were at least plans to play the song (and it still COULD be played in the future), but no sign of it yet. A reflection of the apparent scrapping of the music video/maybe TR souring on the song?

I really hope In Two is played in the future, I think it could be great live (especially the drop back into bass noise @ 5:02....god that would be killer live) and definitely one of my favorites on the album.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Why haven't these tracks been played so far? Do you guys want to hear these songs? Honestly I'd be fine without Everything, but I'd kill to hear In Two live.

tony.parente
10-08-2013, 11:35 AM
The hate over the song was incredibly high, and I bet it pissed trent off so bad he scrapped all plans involving it completely because his fans are cunts sometimes.

gorast
10-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Tour forum, right below this one next time.

Give it time, we've still got a year of touring.

billpulsipher
10-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Why hasn't Everything been played? Listen to the song...and there's your answer

screwdriver
10-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I remember hearing what I assumed was rehearsal audio of Everything, and I think I remember reading that it was originally on one of the festival set lists, but was then scrapped. So we know there were at least plans to play the song (and it still COULD be played in the future), but no sign of it yet. A reflection of the apparent scrapping of the music video/maybe TR souring on the song?

sorry to ask the obvious, but where was this rehearsal audio of Everything? I've been out of the loop for awhile so maybe I missed it.

in addition to fan cunt-ery, I could see that song being an absolute bitch to sing

botley
10-08-2013, 12:00 PM
You can hear the live band playing "Everything" in part one of the Vevo behind-the-scenes tour video. I think they'll play it eventually. "The Eater of Dreams" hasn't been played either.

r_z
10-08-2013, 12:03 PM
it would probably be a pain in the ass live, since he even needed to autotune his voice for that song in the studio-version.

he has background singers now though, so who knows. maybe he's saving this one up.

tony.parente
10-08-2013, 12:04 PM
sorry to ask the obvious, but where was this rehearsal audio of Everything? I've been out of the loop for awhile so maybe I missed it.

in addition to fan cunt-ery, I could see that song being an absolute bitch to sing

Cunt-ery.
lol

There were lots of songs that wern't on that rehearsal audio block that have been played so far, so I wouldn't use that as a "they'll only be playing these songs this tour" guide.

hobochic
10-08-2013, 12:09 PM
So, unless I'm mistaken, all the Hesitation Marks songs have been played at the shows so far EXCEPT Everything and In Two. Will these be the two HM tracks to join the infamous ranks of never-played-live songs?

I really hope In Two is played in the future, I think it could be great live (especially the drop back into bass noise @ 5:02....god that would be killer live) and definitely one of my favorites on the album.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Why haven't these tracks been played so far? Do you guys want to hear these songs? Honestly I'd be fine without Everything, but I'd kill to hear In Two live.

I've actually given up on Trent to play the harder/heavier NIN songs live. Trent's already abandoned a bunch of songs I personally think are among his best. Would I be in charge of the setlist for one night i'd include:
In Two, followed by, Happiness in Slavery, Heresy, The Becoming, Ruiner, I do not want this, WITT, NYD, Pilgrimage, Eraser, Please, Supernaut (1000 homos); I'm Looking Forward..., Closer to God and a whole bunch of Ghosts.

Don't get me wrong, NIN live is awesome but It could be so much more darker and thrilling.

And as for Everything, I think it's one of the more genuine and dark songs on HM, as upbeat as it might sound. There's a fresh and brittle energy to it that makes NIN interesting again and I wouldn't mind placing it in the middle of the setlist. It would act as a turning point after the darker songs.

screwdriver
10-08-2013, 12:24 PM
it would probably be a pain in the ass live, since he even needed to autotune his voice for that song in the studio-version.

he has background singers now though, so who knows. maybe he's saving this one up.

you think he auto-tuned the recording? I have no beef with that, and you're probably right because almost everyone does these days, but I don't really hear any obvious tells. He actually sounds pretty out of pitch in parts, which is one of the things I like about the song.

You can hear the live band playing "Everything" in part one of the Vevo behind-the-scenes tour video. I think they'll play it eventually. "The Eater of Dreams" hasn't been played either.

Thanks -- just listened. obviously that wasn't a full thing, but if that was any indication, it actually sounded sort of ... boring? I could see maybe wanting to make sure its got some impact later.

r_z
10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
you think he auto-tuned the recording? I have no beef with that, and you're probably right because almost everyone does these days, but I don't really hear any obvious tells. He actually sounds pretty out of pitch in parts, which is one of the things I like about the song.

They applied just enough tuning for it not to be off key. I'd say it's most noticeable in the beginning of the verses... "I surviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiived...". It's bold of Trent trying to sing those parts not being a very good singer.

screwdriver
10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
They applied just enough tuning for it not to be off key. I'd say it's most noticeable in the beginning of the verses... "I surviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiived...". It's bold of Trent trying to sing those parts not being a very good singer.

interesting. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just surprised, because I'm usually pretty good at picking that stuff up from doing it so much myself, that I just don't really hear it.

ltrandazzo
10-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm throwing this one in the tour forum. Find it there!

Moebius
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I remember hearing what I assumed was rehearsal audio of Everything, and I think I remember reading that it was originally on one of the festival set lists, but was then scrapped. So we know there were at least plans to play the song (and it still COULD be played in the future), but no sign of it yet.

Yep, it was on the "v1" Lollapalooza setlist.

Kyle
10-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I've actually given up on Trent to play the harder/heavier NIN songs live. Trent's already abandoned a bunch of songs I personally think are among his best. Would I be in charge of the setlist for one night i'd include:
In Two, followed by, Happiness in Slavery, Heresy, The Becoming, Ruiner, I do not want this, WITT, NYD, Pilgrimage, Eraser, Please, Supernaut (1000 homos); I'm Looking Forward..., Closer to God and a whole bunch of Ghosts.

Don't get me wrong, NIN live is awesome but It could be so much more darker and thrilling.

And as for Everything, I think it's one of the more genuine and dark songs on HM, as upbeat as it might sound. There's a fresh and brittle energy to it that makes NIN interesting again and I wouldn't mind placing it in the middle of the setlist. It would act as a turning point after the darker songs.

It used to be much darker back when Trent was a much darker person. He's not as dark a person now (although its still there) so pretending to be would be out of place.

Also supposedly In Two was sound checked today.

staleincense
10-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Also supposedly In Two was sound checked today.
Good to hear, it's one of my favourite songs on the album.

Now, if only we knew wherever it will be played on the European tour...

captainbeyond
10-08-2013, 06:46 PM
interesting. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just surprised, because I'm usually pretty good at picking that stuff up from doing it so much myself, that I just don't really hear it.

sounds more like really good layered vocals with some probable pitch editing.

the term "auto-tune" makes a lot of people think of shit like T-Pain....like the goofy vocoder sound used in most pop music these days.

screwdriver
10-08-2013, 07:00 PM
sounds more like really good layered vocals with some probable pitch editing.

the term "auto-tune" makes a lot of people think of shit like T-Pain....like the goofy vocoder sound used in most pop music these days.

aw, I like the goofy vocoder sound

its entertaining

Ryan
10-08-2013, 08:30 PM
In Two was just sounchecked in full... could appear tonight.

mistresswanda
10-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I am all about "In Two"... it's been on repeat in my car for a week now!

Halo Infinity
10-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I hope not. From the looks of it, In Two might have parts that sound like Now I'm Nothing and The Big Come Down live. I also like Everything, so I'd obviously be interested in hearing it live too.

burn.
10-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't get the hate for Everything, it reminds me a lot of Not So Pretty Now and Getting Smaller. I wish it had real drums tho.

In Two is great.

buckaroo
10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't get the hate for Everything, it reminds me a lot of Not So Pretty Now and Getting Smaller. I wish it had real drums tho.

In Two is great.

this. i actually sort of prefer this version:

http://youtu.be/Pqy4_HSe9pY

edit: i don't know why the copied embed code doesn't work and i am certainly too lazy to figure it out. sorry.

(admin edit: Because you can't use HTML here)

Amaro
10-10-2013, 10:36 AM
this. i actually sort of prefer this version:

http://youtu.be/Pqy4_HSe9pY

edit: i don't know why the copied embed code doesn't work and i am certainly too lazy to figure it out. sorry.

(admin edit: Because you can't use HTML here)

I guarentee you both of the songs highlighted in this thread would/will have real drums.

That cover was cringeworthy.

Joy Prevention Hotline
10-13-2013, 01:47 AM
OK, I'll be the one to say it: they just played In Two at the Mohegan Sun.

All that was missing was Various Methods of Escape to make it a perfect HM night.

Paul
10-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Yeah, they just played In Two last night... and I lost it

JessicaSarahS
10-13-2013, 01:29 PM
OK, I'll be the one to say it: they just played In Two at the Mohegan Sun.

All that was missing was Various Methods of Escape to make it a perfect HM night.

Yeah, they just played In Two last night... and I lost it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npesADApgU

OMG, yes! @_@ I really hope it sticks around a bit more.

ickyvicky
10-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Here's a short clip from my iPhone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwEtbZbvSY

opal
10-13-2013, 02:02 PM
As far as you can tell from these videos, this sounds amazing and the background singers really do fit this song.

SM Rollinger
10-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Yeah, In Two sounds real good. Hopefully Trents working up to an entire performance of HM in running order. Wouldnt that be a great time to debut Everything?

enoonmai
10-15-2013, 03:36 AM
In Two was played again tonight in Brooklyn...and it slayed. I'd wager it's going to be part of the set list for a little while.

enoonmai
10-15-2013, 03:43 AM

I don't think "Everything" would be that difficult to pull off from a logistical perspective; it's just the only song that has a motorik beat, and harmonies in a major key. Given the way that he's traditionally constructed the musical flow of his sets, it'd probably be a cast-iron bitch to find a place in the show where it actually "works".

You couldn't have it follow MOTP's, or Somewhat Damaged, for example; it'd be clunky as hell. I can't really think of a song that it could follow where it really would fit well.

WorzelG
10-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't think "Everything" would be that difficult to pull off from a logistical perspective; ...

You couldn't have it follow MOTP's, or Somewhat Damaged, for example; it'd be clunky as hell. I can't really think of a song that it could follow where it really would fit well.

What about the beginning of the encore? (so it has stuff to mitigate if it doesn't go down well!). The encore seems filled with depressing stuff actually. Does that work when you're there?

andre78
10-15-2013, 09:19 AM
I can easily see something fast like "Everything" being played after "1.000.000", just like "Letting You" used to be at the LITS tour.

blknick
10-15-2013, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npesADApgU

OMG, yes! @_@ I really hope it sticks around a bit more.

I didn't even know my videos could be linked...
Here's the link to my other NIN (and other concert videos)

https://www.youtube.com/user/blknick23/videos

Enjoy!

blknick
10-15-2013, 11:15 PM
My other favorite from that night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZZs0M6Ixc

blknick
10-15-2013, 11:17 PM
And from the night before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnKEXxtFHDc

ltrandazzo
10-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Made an edit to the thread title that I had forgotten to make. Much more up to date.

thefragile_jake
10-20-2013, 10:24 AM
It's a real shame that Everything has yet to make it's debut. I still love the hell out of that song anytime it comes up on iTunes shuffle or I listen to Hesitation Marks.

And from the night before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnKEXxtFHDc

UGH! This sounds so good, I wish this was played at the St. Louis show.

icecream
10-20-2013, 12:38 PM
It might still come up out of nowhere as there are quite a few dates left on this tour. However, Trent seems like he might be sensitive about the fan reaction to the song. Who knows. I hope it shows up eventually.

butter_hole
10-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Maybe his voice can't handle it every night

Krazy
10-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Not exactly sure what he means by this, but I'm guessing it's an irritant that he hasn't played it? It's an irritant that it got so much bad pub? Fuck, I don't know...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/17/3286273/nine-inch-nails-are-back-and-its.html

“There were a few moments of this album where I expected eyebrows to raise,” Reznor says. “But that actually was not one of them. To me, ‘Everything’ is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order. Somehow, that song has become representative of this as my ‘happy album,’ although I don’t hear it as such. It’s certainly not meant to make you feel like, ‘Look at how great everything is!’ But it seems to be the shocking moment of the record. We’ve not played it onstage, only in rehearsals. It’s become an irritant to me.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/17/3286273/nine-inch-nails-are-back-and-its.html#storylink=cpy

Ryan
10-20-2013, 04:19 PM
I wonder when we will get the deconstructed Everything (Irritant Remix) version?

Halo Infinity
10-20-2013, 09:59 PM
The hate over the song was incredibly high, and I bet it pissed trent off so bad he scrapped all plans involving it completely because his fans are cunts sometimes.
This compelled me to say that following. I wish Nine Inch Nails performs Everything live, and raises me a Kinda I Want To. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvo0wQ1kmH4