PDA

View Full Version : The Festival Thread

Pages : [1] 2

cicatriz
12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Yoink! I stole it from you, Kid! ;)

I only go to Bonnaroo. I know a few people on here do, and they're awesome. There's a more-than-likely fake line-up floating around for it. I want to believe it's true, because like 90% I'd want to see. It's too good to be true. All I need is a good fucking headlining combo like this year (MMJ into Arcade Fire) and a GOOD hip-hop co-headliner. I love you, Lil' Wayne, but you suck live. So do you, Eminem. Give me Watch the Throne, goddamnit. And OFWGKTA on the under-card. PLEASE?!

Oh yeah, I heard some band called Radiohead and the biggest band on the face of the Earth, NO DOUBT, will be headlining both weekends of Coachella. And Bjork. Fuck you, Coachella.

Kid Charlemagne
12-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Bjork or No Doubt will be odd woman out, looks like Coldplay along with Radiohead is one of the Coachella headliners.

As for Bonnaroo, something like Wilco into Radiohead would be nice. Achley Capps MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Kid Charlemagne
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Austin Psych Fest announced their lineup today. It's one of the better small fests in Austin and refreshing from the usual garb like SXSW or Austin City Limits. I'll certainly be checking this out. Here's the lineup: http://ow.ly/i/q0gd/original

Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Black Lips are more than enough to get me there.

Kid Charlemagne
02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Bonnaroo Lineup is out and I've had time to mull it over. I like it. It's good not great. I like the headliners with Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Phish. Beach Boys Reunion is going to be awesome, and I'm stoked that Ben Folds Five is reuniting. The hip hop lineup is weak, I like Black Star and Ludacris would be cool to see, but there's no huge wow factor. Then again, they have about 40 more acts to announce so we'll see if we get anyone else good.

richardp
03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Jack White, Justice, Die Antwoord, and The Weekend all confirmed for Lollapalooza via transportation advertisements around Chicago.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Jack White, Justice, Die Antwoord, and The Weekend all confirmed for Lollapalooza via transportation advertisements around Chicago.

Jack White would be an awesome headliner. Bonnaroo shit the bed by not booking him. I'm leery of Justice live since their last album sucked. And The Weeknd is a nice edition.

slave2thewage
03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I should be going to Electric Picnic this year here in Ireland.

http://www.todayfm.com/Libraries/WebsitePics/EP2012_StartingLineup.sflb

aggroculture
03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Sonisphere cancelled. I guess that's what you get if you put Adam Lambert as headliner.

richardp
03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Jack White would be an awesome headliner. Bonnaroo shit the bed by not booking him.

Yeah, I'm very excited to see his solo shows, especially considering he's been playing stuff from all 4 projects. Now as long as they get Sigur Ros and Radiohead, then I'll be sold.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2012, 11:40 PM
M83 and Bloc Party also rumored now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lolla put out as good as a lineup as Coachella. Pretty sure they'll get The Black Keys as well.

richardp
03-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh wow. Did M83 and Bloc have transport ads as well?

Kid Charlemagne
03-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah, one ad said " I See Signs Now All The Time" and the other said "Waiting for a Ride in the Dark".

richardp
03-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Nice! I wonder who they'll announce today, seeing as they're coming out daily?

EDIT----

Big Pink just confirmed.

richardp
04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Sigur Ros was confirmed for Lolla. Looks like I'll be going this year.

allegro
04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I *only* want to see Black Sabbath.

Blackbookpress1984
04-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Are they actually playing? I kind a thought that was a joke, lol.

On second, my girlfriend usually insists on going to Lollapalooza with her best friend (who I strongly dislike) But I have never been able to understand shelling out 200 bucks to stand with 20,000 nasty sweaty people in the summer heat when you don't know the line up.

Rdm
04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Sweet it looks like Sigur Ros will be playing shows around this time:D:D

richardp
04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Jack White and ATDI are the only good headliners in my opinion. I loathe RHCP so much. The rest I just don't care about. The mid card is pretty damn good though. Oh and I'm sorry but Sigur Ros should have EASILY been a headliner over fucking Florence and The Machine.

Rdm
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Jack White and ATDI are the only good headliners in my opinion. I loathe RHCP so much. The rest I just don't care about. The mid card is pretty damn good though. Oh and I'm sorry but Sigur Ros should have EASILY been a headliner over fucking Florence and The Machine.

In our world Sigur ros would headline but in reality more popular lame bands have came up. Although, SR last attempt wasn't critically acclaimed either .

richardp
04-11-2012, 05:57 PM
In our world Sigur ros would headline but in reality more popular lame bands have came up. Although, SR last attempt wasn't critically acclaimed either .

True, but I mean, it was still more interesting than both of the Florence albums combined, in my opinion.

Also, who the fuck is Avicii? Everyone online keeps saying how they should be a headliner and I have literally never seen that name before until the Lolla lineup. Am I that far out of the musical loop?

bobbie solo
04-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Avicii is a progressive house/commercial poppy house producer. google Levels...you've def. heard it. solid producer if you're nto that style of dance music.

You like Jack White and ATDI as headliners, but not Sabbath? you dont like Sabbath? What is wrong with you?

Kid Charlemagne
04-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Lolla has a good lineup, not great. I love The Black Keys, but how in the hell are they second billed...before SABBATH! And Rich, I don't think ATDI and Flo are headliners, they're highly billed, but if I remember correctly there's going to be two EDM headliners so Bassnectar and Avicii probably? Lots of good stuff though. Jack White, The Shins, Justice, The Weeknd, Sigur Ros, Miike Snow, Afghan Whigs(seriously, fucking awesome that they're on the lineup), M83, Franz Ferdinand, Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino, Wale, Tune Yards, Twin Shadow, Toro Y Moi, Alabama Shakes, Gaslight Anthem, SBTRKT, The Walkmen, Tame Impala, Band of Skulls, Neon Indian, Washed Out, Dum Dum Girls, Black Angels, Givers, War on Drugs, and First Aid Kit.

I'm just waiting for the weekend though. Looking forward to Coachella, even if I have a shit ton of conflicts.

allegro
04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Wait .. whoa! AFGHAN WHIGS?!?!?!?!

You like Jack White and ATDI as headliners, but not Sabbath? you dont like Sabbath? What is wrong with you?
Yeah! Seriously! The only non-original member in this lineup is the drummer, but who gives a fuck? And Toni Iommi has lymphoma but he's still gonna be there!

richardp
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Avicii is a progressive house/commercial poppy house producer. google Levels...you've def. heard it. solid producer if you're nto that style of dance music.

I don't NOT like them, I just don't really care about them. Ozzy is so washed up and unintelligible nowadays, and I've just honestly never been a fan. I appreciate and realize that like 99 percent of bands exist nowadays because of them, I just don't really care enough about them. As controversial as that may be. But if Jack White is playing against Sabbath I'll definitely choose him.

blackholesun
04-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I saw Sabbath a few years ago and they ripped. You wouldn't know you were watching a bunch of 60 year olds playing.

bobbie solo
04-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Ozzy is a mess off-stage, but i swear they hop him up on something and shove him on stage. his voice is pretty good in concert all things considered. Bill better end up playing playing these shows. What they're doing to him is complete bullshit.

allegro
04-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Bill better end up playing playing these shows. What they're doing to him is complete bullshit.
yeah, it does suck.

Mech
04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
apparently Tupac showed up at Coachella!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l9yFYmboERs

blackholesun
04-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Outside Lands Festival Lineup announced today.

http://lineup.sfoutsidelands.com/

A lot of good but also a lot of crap.

Kid Charlemagne
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Top lines are very good. The undercard suffers, but overall I think it's better than Lollapalooza. Fucking Grandaddy!

Kid Charlemagne
07-10-2012, 12:47 PM
HOLY SHIT BALLS RUN DMC ARE REUNITING! And for Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. The 14 year old in me is more than excited for this.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Anybody hitting up Camp Bisco this year???

liquidcalm
07-11-2012, 02:08 AM
I just got tickets to Latitude this weekend, last minute massive road trip planned! Super excite!

Kid Charlemagne
07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
http://funfunfunfest.com/artists

Haven't been this excited about a festival lineup in a while. Especially the Black stage.

theimage13
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
http://fireflyfestival.com/#lineup_official.php

Just found out I'll be working there next week. Curious to see which stage I end up patching.

Kid Charlemagne
10-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Just came back from ACL, here's my shit:
FRIDAY:
First Aid Kit- Saw these gals two years ago at ACL and they were awesome. Now they have a legit backing band and expanded their sound and audience and sound as beautiful as ever. Wouldn't be surprised to see them break out soon in the mainstream. Easily the best harmonizing of the weekend by anyone.

The War on Drugs- Absolutely love these guys. At times it sounded like they were the Dire Straits fronted by a Bob Dylan in his prime. Long songs with awesome build ups, perfect for the hot as hell weather that we got on Friday. Awesome performance, even if they did take a swipe at the Texas Rangers for sucking.

The Afghan Whigs- Holy fucking shit was this the set of the weekend. Greg Dulli is still in rare form, his voice is great, he can still scream and the three guitar assault was amazing. Every song off of 1965 and Gentlemen were perfect. This is how reunions are done kids. Dulli is still one of the last legit rock stars left and this solidified it. We then saw them the next evening at an aftershow and they tore that motherfucker down, easily a top 10 show for me. They included a Frank Ocean and a Drake cover on that show and cranked it even louder. They opened with "Crime Scene, Part One" and I got goosebumps that stayed till the show ended. If you want real rock and roll in your life, see this band.

Alabama Shakes- I love these guys (and gal), but the sound at the stage was awful so I couldn't hear much. They were also on a much smaller stage which is bullshit considering they're a legit popular rock band. I'm sure they wrecked it, but from where I was standing, it sounded like nothing.

Black Lips- My third favorite show of the weekend. If you haven't seen them, you need to. High energy, great pop punk songs and shenanigans including making out, vomiting, and humping blow up dolls. I was in the pit the whole time and shit went off during "O Katrina", "Modern Art", "Bad Kids", "Raw Meat", and "Family Tree". The crowd broke into a "Weezer Sucks" chant who were playing at the same time on a stage nearby which caused the members to say "the Blue album is okay". Quite possibly the most fun I had all weekend at a set.

M83- ACL made the mistake of putting them on the same small stage as Alabama Shakes earlier in the day, so the sound was an issue at the beginning. "Midnight City" was killer of course, then 70% of the crowd left and I got up front and they were awesome. The closed with "Colours" and everyone still there was shaking their ass. If any band deserves the success they've had in the past year of growing into a near arena act, it's M83.

Black Keys- Okay, so they're one of my favorite bands obviously, I've seen them more times than I can remember, and well their performance left a lot to be desired. There were sound issues, Dan didn't seem too interested, and they've played a set that they've been playing since El Camino came out. The best part of their set is in the middle where Dan and Pat do a bunch of pre-Attack and Release songs and even the songs off El Camino are good, but it just seems like they've gotten lazy with all the fame, not to mention the fanbase has changed drastically (those in the Muse forum know what I'm talking about). They've worked their asses off to this point, and I'm glad to see them as one of the world's biggest rock bands, but I'm ready for them to go away for a while because at this point, it's overload.

Metric (aftershow)- We saw Policia and Metric after the festival and it was a good gig, it was a short set, but Emily was energetic, they played a greatest hits set sans "Stadium Love" and the band is extremely tight. I've never been the biggest fan of them, but they sure did impress me and would see them again. Plus, I would do unforgivable things to Emily Haines.

Saturday:

Rufus Wainwright- Such an awesome performer with a voice to match. Homeboy sings standards better than anyone and looked humbled to be there. Who else can hold a Liza Mineli cover and have the crowd eat out of his hand? It was a rare treat, no other festival got him and he nailed it.

Big K.R.I.T.- This one was meh, may be my least favorite set of the weekend. He had energy, but the crowd wasn't very responsive (hip-hop usually doesn't fare well at ACL), and seemed like every other hip hop show I've seen. The best part of his set was when his DJ played "Never Scared" by Bone Crusher. Imagine that.

Andrew Bird- Another surprise, his band was awesome and he was probably the most accomplished musician all weekend. The new songs sounded great, and he can whistle with the best of them. It was raining for most of the day, but the sun was shining throughout the set. Like Rufus, it was a great set with two men who are some of the best at their craft, delivering and not looking back.

Band of Skulls- I love their first album, their second sucks. It started raining and their set was cut short after 10 minutes which means Mother Nature thinks they suck.

The Shins- Another disappointment. The first half of their set was great, but it got boring after a while since they front loaded it. I saw them do a taping earlier this year and it was great, saw them at Bonnaroo, and they were great, but here it was lacking. Maybe it was an off day, but James Mercer hasn't let me down yet, so Saturday was surprising from my standpoint.

Steve Earle- He's a genius, a legend, and is a bad motherfucker. His set was awesome and he was on fire, they crowd got rowdy, so he got rowdier. Even if you aren't a fan of the type of music, you can appreciate him.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Awesome as expected. I don't even think there was a song under 10 minutes. He can jam with the best of them and they still sound great after all these years. "Cinnamon Girl" was awesome, the guitar solo in "Down By the River" was the best moment all weekend, and from what I heard, he outclassed Jack White who was playing across the field at the same time. It's always good to see an amazing artist, still putting on stunning shows this late in his career. A bucket list performance for me and it was worth it.

Sunday:

Gary Clark, Jr.- Awesome guitarist, great backing band. As far as blues rock went, he beat the Black Keys at their own game. This guy is awesome, he's a showman, and I think he'll be a name we'll be hearing for a long time.

Tennis- It was hot as hell, so I couldn't think of a better band with their sunny disposition to listen to. Yeah, they sort of sound like Cults or Best Coast, but I think they make the most of it and write better songs. I think I have a crush on Alania Moore and Sunday didn't change that one bit.

Two Door Cinema Club- Man, do these guys suck. This was my least favorite set of the weekend come to think of it. All these songs wound the same and they just sound like a cheap Vampire Weekend ripoff. The songs are catchy, but there's no substance or irony to what their doing. It's indie pop for the same crowd who think a band like Mumford and Sons is folk music.

The Weeknd- Motherfucker cancelled. Fuck that.

Iggy and the Stooges- Awesome, just awesome. Second best set of the weekend. He's 65 years old and still performing at the level of 25. He's screaming, acting disgusting, being profane, and it's all wonderful. He even encouraged us to bumrush the stage at one point just for the fuck of it. This is how it should be. Honestly, he upstaged all the younger artists on the weekend and he knew it. The Stooges are legendary, and Iggy has been a hero of mine since elementary school. They didn't disappoint and boy was it fun.

Crystal Castles- Not a fan of them in particular. They had a huge crowd, but to me it sounded like a bunch of noise with a lot of shrieking. It was energetic, but I don't get it.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Sound issues deflated what was otherwise a decent set. I had fun at their Bonnaroo set, and say what you want about the band and how they've sucked since "By the Way", but they can bring it. The impromptu jam sessions got boring after a while, but a three song cluster of "Under the Bridge", "Californication", and "By the Way" was awesome. We also got rare ones like "Otherside" and "Sir Psycho Sexy". They're arguably one of the biggest bands of the fast couple of generations and have an extensive catalog. I wasn't blown away, but it wasn't bad either.

Overall, it was a good weekend with bad weather, but the music overcame that to make it worth it. This is the last one weekend ACL before they do dual weekends next year, so that's cool. For a weekend where new stars were supposed to be made, it was the elders who showed us how it's done.

bobbie solo
10-16-2012, 05:24 PM
perfect description of how I feel about Black Keys now too. damn shame. Of course The Weeknd cancelled, dude is a headcase.

Kid Charlemagne
10-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Weird thing about The Weeknd is that he played a show the night before at Austin Music Hall and people said it was wonderful. Then he tweets that he can't go out the next day because of doctor's orders. I have a feeling he'll die pretty young if his songs are any indication.

Kid Charlemagne
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I attended Austin's Fun Fun Fun Fest last weekend. here's the good shit:
Friday:

Cursive- Pleasantly surprised by them. I hadn't picked up a Cursive album in a few years, but I was blown away by them. They still sounded tight, the bass parts were awesome, and who's fucking with a saxophone in a band?

Sharon Van Etten- Nice singer song writer music for the mid day, very gracious performer and reminds me of a more active Cat Power. She's also awesome on every instrument she touched and her band was terrific, well worth the buzz she's getting.

Napalm Death- I've never been too big into Grindcore, and I understand these guys are gods to the genre, but I thought they sucked. It honestly sounded like two different bands were playing at the same time. I wasn't a fan, and they seem like nice dudes, but this was probably the worst set all weekend.

Converge- Pretty awesome, I thought they should've been playing later in the day, but they kicked ass anyway. Along with about 90% of people on this board, I think the new album is pretty fucking fantastic and the new songs sounded stellar live. They had endless energy and Jacob is a great frontman. I wish they played longer, rest assured, I'll be seeing them again next time they come through Texas.

Black Lips- What is there to say? Rooney Mara was on guitar, Val Kilmer was supposed to be their frontman (all for a movie Terrence Mallick is shooting). Kilmer chainsawed an amp, hit all the members, referred to Mara as "Miley Cyrus", and even cut his hair with a hunting knife. As the performance grew more chaotic, the crowd became restless and it became a violent pit with debris on the stage on any given moment. I will never forget this performance.

Superchunk- Loved these guys, they've been doing it for so long and they're the consummate professionals. "Slack Motherfucker" was awesome as expected and they didn't say anything, they just rocked the fuck out. They're indie rock legends for a reason.

X- They performed Los Angeles, had a small crowd, but man it was awesome. For guys in their 60's, they schooled many bands on the black stage. John Doe is still awesome and Exene still belts it out. You really got the feeling watching these guys perform LA that you were seeing something special, and it was.

Saturday

Devin: Three piece garage act to start off the day. Reminded me of a reserved Cage the Elephant. Sort of generic.

Deathfix- This is Devin of Fugazi's side project and it sounds nothing like it. Pretty typical dad rock shit sounding like Wilco's lesser albums and everything had a guitar solo. Last year we had Joe Lally, so I'm hoping Fugazi will eventually reunite here.

Brendan Benson- Sort of disappointing. I thought all of his songs sounded the same after a while. His backing band was good, but nothing special. He's badass on guitar though.

Braid- I along with the dudes pushing 30 who never thought they'd reunite were stoked. It was awesome and all their grooves and breakdowns still sound as good as ever, also considering the fact they've probably influenced a huge number of bands playing there, it was an honor seeing them.

Why?- Very surprising in a good way. I haven't like much of what they've put out in the past few years, but they sounded great, the new songs sound livelier and they had great energy for the hottest part of the day.

OFF!- An okay set. They sound great, but Keith Morris killed the vibe preaching about how third parties are important and generally seemed miserable before even playing (he was pissed they shot off a Taco Cannon before their set). Keith is a cool dude, and a hero of mine, but I had a bad taste in my mouth considering he didn't appear to be in a particularly good mood.

Paul Banks- Sue me, I love his solo albums, I thought he put on a good show and loved how my buddy Brandon (from Secret Machines) was in his backing band. It's a little poppier than his Interpol work, but it beats the shit out of that last Interpol album.

Real Estate- It's weird to think how popular these guys are. I saw them at a packed tent at Coachella earlier this year and their set was packed here too. It was perfect, the sun was setting and the peaceful grooves and beachy vibes made the set for me. I'm surprised at their success, and they deserve all of it.

Wavves- Very good set. Similar to when I saw them at SXSW. Nathan is hilarious, he allowed a couple to propose and then played some new songs. They pride themselves on being sloppy and lazy, but they sounded as clean and tight as anyone this weekend.

Public Image Ltd- Classic case of a band being great, but a singer just sucking. Johnny Rotten seemed to have no interest whatsoever in being there. He was reading lyrics off a podium and was lifeless. The band was great and reminded me of all the DFA records material I've listened to the past few years, but Johnny should probably retire at this point.

Refused- Hands down the set of the weekend. Maybe the year. Constant energy, the band was flawless, Denis was on fire, and the song selection was bitching. You couldn't tell it was a reunion tour, because of how they sounded and looked. They were flat out perfect and appreciative about the packed stage. The reunion is ending now, and everyone at that stage got their monies worth and were sent home happy.

Black Moth Super Rainbow (Aftershow)- It was packed, but damn, they made me see stars, especially during "Tooth Decay". Tobacco has assembled a great band, the songs are given new life and it's amazing to watch these hip hop inspired beats played with live instruments. They made a new (bigger) believer out of me.

Sunday

Pallbearer- Good way to start the afternoon with some Sabbath inspired doom metal. They've put out one of the best albums of the year, they sound great live and I talked to the guys after the set, and they're sweethearts. They were as appreciative of me as I was of their set. I hope these guys get Mastadon huge.

Cult of Youth- Shitty Flogging Molly bullshit. Almost like Frank Turner without the everything.

Liturgy- You either hate them or like them. Two dudes playing guitars over a drum machine while one guy growls like a panther. I dig it, but I can see why people hate them.

A Place to Bury Strangers- Sort of disappointed with these guys as well. To be fair, their crowd was bad and they had energy, but the sound was louder than it needed to be and after a while they got sick of trying to win the crowd over. In a smaller room, these guys are awesome, but in an arena or festival setting, they don't benefit.

Valient Thorr- Classic cheesy power metal for the fuck of it. I liked them, I understood what they were doing, and they were perfect for the fact that Turbonegro was headlining the stage later that night. They won me over with their cheesiness.

Japandroids- Fuck these guys are so awesome it's absurd. They just flew in from Europe, play their balls off and the crowd goes nuts. Anthems describe their songs, they put out an album of the year contender and when it's just two guys on stage sounding like five, it's more blissful. The pit was rowdy, the best thing to do was grab a beer, get in the pit and have fun because it's all just fun music played by guys who look like they're having the time of their lives.

Titus Andronicus- Second best set of the weekend. I love Local Business and the tracks were good. But The Monitor is one of my favorite albums maybe ever and those tracks got their justice. They were in the smallest stage and had the rowdiest crowd all weekend. Nothing like a bunch of guys moshing and screaming "YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A LOSER", Patrick Stickles is a great singer, and him and the crowd fed of each other. If you weren't one of the people in this small tent, you missed out.

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead- They were awesome, their new album is tits, their new band lineup is the best its been in years. The crowd was shit though. But hearing "Relative Ways" and "A Perfect Teenhood" were awesome and they still have crazy energy on stage. They'd just flown in from Japan that afternoon and I talked to Conrad before their set and again, nicest dude in the world. For 40 minutes, I remembered why they were my favorite band in the world for a few years.

Fucked Up- I was drained from the previous three sets, so I was sitting for most of it. They sounded good. Damian is such an awesome leader and the songs off David Comes to Life were rad. I'd love to see them again in a smaller setting.

Black Moth Super Rainbow- It wasn't easy to skip Turbonegro, but I was so amped after seeing BMSR the night before that I had to do it again. A similar set from the night before, but with visuals this time. It turned into a dance party halfway in the set. I can't stress enough how great they are live. Fucking exhilarating.

Great weekend. Nice layout, everything was on time and the choice of bands was on point. If you can do one fest in Austin, this shits all over SXSW and ACL.

sa_nick
11-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Have to sell my Big Day Out ticket due to a herniated disc. This sucks .__.

Kid Charlemagne
02-19-2013, 02:52 PM
http://c438342.r42.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/bonnaroo-2013-lineup-poster.jpg

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Camp Bisco's lineup is incredibly weak this year :(

http://lineup.campbisco.net/

ibanez33
03-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Camp Bisco's lineup is incredibly weak this year :(

http://lineup.campbisco.net/
The majority of it is fairly lackluster but I'd say it's worth it just for Bassnectar, Wolfgang Gartner, Flux Pavilion, and KOAN Sound.

I'm heading up to Squamish Festival in August for Queens of the Stone Age and Childish Gambino, if anyone else there is good then it's just a bonus to me.

Jinsai
03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
what the fuck is up with R. Kelly showing up as a headliner at these festivals this year? Did I miss something? Last I heard, this guy pissed on children and his music was bullshit.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-02-2013, 10:05 PM
The majority of it is fairly lackluster but I'd say it's worth it just for Bassnectar, Wolfgang Gartner, Flux Pavilion, and KOAN Sound.

I'm heading up to Squamish Festival in August for Queens of the Stone Age and Childish Gambino, if anyone else there is good then it's just a bonus to me.

There is just a heavy abundance of trap and jam artists this year. I have seen Bassnectar twice, but he is always great.. but there is also what you mentioned, Paper Diamond, Break Science, Dirtyphonics, and Gramatik. I was really expecting Pretty Lights to show up this year since he has been to many Bisco's before.. but no go :/

For Squamish, that is a pretty good line-up.. you also have Pretty Lights, Vampire Weekend, and Jurassic 5. Seems like a good time.

ibanez33
03-02-2013, 10:17 PM
For Squamish, that is a pretty good line-up.. you also have Pretty Lights, Vampire Weekend, and Jurassic 5. Seems like a good time.

It's definitely a lot better than I was expecting. I haven't listened to very much of Pretty Lights, Vampire Weekend, or Jurassic 5, but I've heard good thigns about them all so I'm looking forward to seeing them. I'll dig into them all a bit eventually. I was REALLY hoping Postal Service would be announced as the big headliner, but I'm much happier to have QOTSA; I might be able to catch PS in Vancouver a few weeks beforehand.

Fixer808
03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
QOTSA, Jurassic 5 and Macklemore are the only ones I'd want to see, so hopefully if I end up going they're all on the same day!

Kid Charlemagne
03-03-2013, 12:12 AM
what the fuck is up with R. Kelly showing up as a headliner at these festivals this year? Did I miss something? Last I heard, this guy pissed on children and his music was bullshit.

Hehe, you know I actually kinda dig him. I think he's probably going to blow off these performances and they'll be trainwrecks but for me it's about just seeing him. I know all of his songs and it's ballsy booking, but it's definitely head scratching.

Metallica's festival looks amazing though, I'd go to that if I weren't going to Bonnaroo.

Also, Free Press Summer Fest in Houston is going to be pretty awesome!

The Postal Service

Bassnectar

Iggy Pop & the Stooges

TV on the Radio

Passion Pit

Calvin Harris

Alabama Shakes

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Social Distortion

Arctic Monkeys

Gogol Bordello

Of Monsters and Men

2 Chainz

Cat Power

The Head & the Heart

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

Matt and Kim

Borgore

Dawes

Mavis Staples

Geto Boys

The Bronx

Paul Banks

Soja

Japandroids

Chairlift

Mord Fustang

Devin the Dude

Baroness

Los Amigos Invisibles

Vintage Trouble

Machine Gun Alley

Milo Greene

The Octopus Project

The Men

Ume

cicatriz
03-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I would go just to see the Geto Boys.

Kid Charlemagne
03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Geto Boys and 2Chainz, this is amazing!

Alexandros
03-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Just bought my tickets for the Primavera Festival in Barcelona (http://www.primaverasound.es/). So fucking excited! It's the first time I will travel abroad simply for a festival and it's also the first time I'm going to such a big festival. The whole thing has left a sizeable void in my wallet, but dammit, it's worth it! Anyone else going to be there?

thefragile_jake
03-04-2013, 10:15 AM
As well as R. Kelly, Bjork & Belle and Sebastian playing Pitchfork Music Festival this year they recently added

Joanna Newsom, the Breeders play Last Splash, Swans, El-P, Killer Mike, TNGHT, Chairlift, Sky Ferreira, ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, Rustie, Mac DeMarco, Foxygen, Angel Olsen, Trash Talk, and Tree

I used to listen to Newsom but it certainly has been awhile. I really like the fact that Swans, El-P, Mac Demarco and TNGHT are on there. I'm seeing Foxygen this weekend and while I like Killer Mike and Trash Talk, I think they're better for an smaller venue.

Really thought they were gonna get Death Grips. =/

Kid Charlemagne
03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Death Grips were on last year's lineup no?

I hate SXSW, but they got some good shit next week, including a show with Japandroids, Iggy and the Stooges, The Specials, and Ghostface Killah. This needs to happen.

thefragile_jake
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Death Grips were on last year's lineup no?

Sadly no, otherwise I probably would have been there. Last year's Pitchfork line up was alright but my first year in 2011 I thought was one of the better lineups.

Kid Charlemagne
03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
My mistake, they were on the Pitchfork CMJ and SXSW showcases. But this isn't the final lineup, I'm sure more will get added.

onthewall2983
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599038_10151713353828277_74072670_n.jpg

Deepvoid
03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Osheaga Festival (Montreal) just announced its lineup. I would love to see The Cure and New Order but not gonna pay that kinda money just for those two bands.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/578050_10151501491960862_1391015264_n.jpg

Kid Charlemagne
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-lollapalooza-headliners-20130319,0,725418.column

Lollapalooza with some weak headliners: Mumford and Sons, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Postal Service, The National, and The Killers.

Not a HUGE name to knock it out of the park. I love VW and The National, I like Phoenix and Postal Service, but I don't know if this makes traveling to Chicago a possibility for me this year.

Deepvoid
03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Another festival in Quebec just announced its lineup. This is the Rockfest in Montebello.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482022_10151287970061862_403124830_n.jpg

richardp
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-lollapalooza-headliners-20130319,0,725418.column

Lollapalooza with some weak headliners: Mumford and Sons, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Postal Service, The National, and The Killers.

Not a HUGE name to knock it out of the park. I love VW and The National, I like Phoenix and Postal Service, but I don't know if this makes traveling to Chicago a possibility for me this year.

Yeah I can't believe those are the headliners this year. The other two headliner spots need to be fucking EPIC for me to spend the cash to go. And maybe I'm out of the loop because I don't care for VW, but it still blows my mind that they're apparently big enough to headline festivals. And I just wish Mumford would fucking die off already. When are people going to get bored with that sound?

Kid Charlemagne
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
There's nothing that separates the headliners. It's all new-alt rock with very little difference. I'm hoping The National get a headlining spot on the smaller part of the park considering they subbed in 2010 for Arcade Fire. Like you, I have a hard time believing Vampire Weekend and Phoenix can headline big festivals, considering VW are listed third at Coachella, and the new Phoenix single hasn't been lighting up the charts. Is it just a down year?

thefragile_jake
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM

I completely agree with you on this statement, this is incredibly weak for Lollapalooza...what's really crazy is VM already played Pitchfork last summer and tickets were half the price.

Kid Charlemagne
03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I completely agree with you on this statement, this is incredibly weak for Lollapalooza...what's really crazy is VM already played Pitchfork last summer and tickets were half the price.

I guess they're banking on the fact that the new album is going to be a huge hit. It made sense when they headlined Pitchfork last year which is basically half of Lolla (but with a lineup that's twice as good ironically), but man, this looks like there's going to be a shit ton of mid-tier bands on the lineup.

Other than Mumford, does it look like any of these acts can fill up the South Stage? I also wonder if the NIN rumor will come into fruition or if The Cure will be there by any chance since they're at Oshega the same weekend.

thevoid99
03-20-2013, 03:06 PM
I fucking hate Mumford & Sons. It's bad folk music. This is a totally weak line-up. And Vampire Weekend? I'm sorry but what's the big fucking deal about them? I don't think they're really that great.

richardp
03-20-2013, 11:33 PM
I guess they're banking on the fact that the new album is going to be a huge hit. It made sense when they headlined Pitchfork last year which is basically half of Lolla (but with a lineup that's twice as good ironically), but man, this looks like there's going to be a shit ton of mid-tier bands on the lineup.

Other than Mumford, does it look like any of these acts can fill up the South Stage? I also wonder if the NIN rumor will come into fruition or if The Cure will be there by any chance since they're at Oshega the same weekend.

With 3 of Osheaga's headliners also headlining Lolla, I'm betting it's doubtful that The Cure will also headline Lolla. I can't see Perry Ferrel just trying to copy the same lineup. Also starting to be very doubtful of NIN playing, too. If they're focusing so much of popular indie headliners, NIN would obviously stick out like a very sore thumb.

Kid Charlemagne
03-20-2013, 11:51 PM
NIN's dates overseas don't make much sense just to do one show in Chicago, then gear back up to go out again. Maybe the Cure, who knows? Also, there's a lack of an EDM headliner which was something Perry was stressing the past few years. Are you going to be doing any of the Chicago fests or Kanrocksas rich?

richardp
03-21-2013, 12:25 AM
NIN's dates overseas don't make much sense just to do one show in Chicago, then gear back up to go out again. Maybe the Cure, who knows? Also, there's a lack of an EDM headliner which was something Perry was stressing the past few years. Are you going to be doing any of the Chicago fests or Kanrocksas rich?

Eh, I'm not sure. I'm not really feeling the Pitchfork lineup this year all that much. I might still try for Lolla if the undercard is good or I can score these 75 dollar tickets, but Kanrocksas I'm only going to if I get accepted for a press pass. I can't bring myself to spend money on that lineup. Personally I think our Middle Of The Map fest here in a couple of weeks is a much better lineup, so I'll definitely be at that.

Kid Charlemagne
03-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Eh, I'm not sure. I'm not really feeling the Pitchfork lineup this year all that much. I might still try for Lolla if the undercard is good or I can score these 75 dollar tickets, but Kanrocksas I'm only going to if I get accepted for a press pass. I can't bring myself to spend money on that lineup. Personally I think our Middle Of The Map fest here in a couple of weeks is a much better lineup, so I'll definitely be at that.

Middle of the Map looks awesome, lots and lots of good up and coming bands. If you or Fragile_Jake find yourselves for one of South Texas' festivals, let me know. Just don't make it this one: http://rivercityrockfest.com/

richardp
03-21-2013, 01:11 AM
Middle of the Map looks awesome, lots and lots of good up and coming bands. If you or Fragile_Jake find yourselves for one of South Texas' festivals, let me know. Just don't make it this one: http://rivercityrockfest.com/

HA! I see your River City Rockfest and raise you one Kansas City Rockfest!
http://www.rockfestkc.com/home/schedule/

thefragile_jake
03-21-2013, 01:36 AM

Fireworks to End the Show!?

I love that band...finally...a Rockfest with a good group...wait, that's just real fireworks after the show? Son of a bitch.

Really guys. These festivals are so terrible.

I'm still contemplating Pitchfork because seeing Bjork live was one of those things I only once ever dreamed about and I've always loved Belle & Sebastian and R. Kelly as well. While the second bunch of names certainly had some acts I'd love to see (Swans, El-P, Killer Mike, Mac DeMarco and others...) it still hasn't made me NEED to get tickest immediately. Perhaps the last inital lineup will? Time will tell.

Middle of the Map always seemed like such a fun time, been to a couple venues in KC most of those bands are playing.

Kid Charlemagne
03-21-2013, 01:39 AM

Alice in Chains picking up these quick paychecks. This also answers the questions of "What ever happened to Papa Roach and Disturbed?", and also serves $5 mixed drinks. SOLD!

I'm still contemplating Pitchfork because seeing Bjork live was one of those things I only once ever dreamed about and I've always loved Belle & Sebastian and R. Kelly as well. While the second bunch of names certainly had some acts I'd love to see (Swans, El-P, Killer Mike, Mac DeMarco and others...) it still hasn't made me NEED to get tickest immediately. Perhaps the last inital lineup will? Time will tell.I would go to any festival that has R. Kelly and Trail of Dead playing on the same day!

thefragile_jake
03-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Alice in Chains picking up these quick paychecks. This also answers the questions of "What ever happened to Papa Roach and Disturbed?", and also serves $5 mixed drinks. SOLD!

I would go to any festival that has R. Kelly and Trail of Dead playing on the same day!

Hahaha!

Oh yeah, Trail of the Dread is there as well!

thefragile_jake
03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Okay, I think I'm officially sold on Pitchfork now.

M.I.A., Lil B, Solange, Wire, Yo La Tengo, Low, Savages, Toro Y Moi, Phosphorescent, Metz, Autre Ne Veut, Mikal Cronin, Parquet Courts, Merchandise, Woods, Julia Holter, Glass Candy, Andy Stott, Pissed Jeans, Frankie Rose, Ryan Hemsworth, Waxahatchee, Blood Orange, Daughn Gibson, Evian Christ, White Lung, KEN mode, and DJ Rashad added.

THANK YOU BASED GOD.

Autre Ne Veut has released one of my favorite records this year too and YLT and Toro are great live. Plus, holy shit M.I.A.!

Deepvoid
03-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Heavy MTL 2013 just announced its lineup. Not sure I'll attend this year. Last year's SOAD and Slipknot as headliners was way better.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269274_10151283637041910_1453647744_n.jpg

Kid Charlemagne
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Okay, I think I'm officially sold on Pitchfork now.

M.I.A., Lil B, Solange, Wire, Yo La Tengo, Low, Savages, Toro Y Moi, Phosphorescent, Metz, Autre Ne Veut, Mikal Cronin, Parquet Courts, Merchandise, Woods, Julia Holter, Glass Candy, Andy Stott, Pissed Jeans, Frankie Rose, Ryan Hemsworth, Waxahatchee, Blood Orange, Daughn Gibson, Evian Christ, White Lung, KEN mode, and DJ Rashad added.

THANK YOU BASED GOD.

Autre Ne Veut has released one of my favorite records this year too and YLT and Toro are great live. Plus, holy shit M.I.A.!
Yeah, this lineup is going to be better than anything Lollapalooza puts together. Make sure you bring your own spatula to Lil B's set.

Kodiak33
03-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Lollapalooza is sold out BTW. Took less than 4 hours.

thefragile_jake
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, this lineup is going to be better than anything Lollapalooza puts together. Make sure you bring your own spatula to Lil B's set.

Oh I will, when I saw him last fall tons of people had their spatula's ready. It was amazing, it was a smaller club show and he invited everyone on stage during Wonton Soup. After the show he signed whatever people wanted and posed for pictures. We're Facebook friends and he apparently remembered me from our chats before and told me "Hey Jake, good to see you here...hit me up on Facebook soon." Plus, whenever my dog was diagnosed with IMHA last year and was sadly passing away, he always was on my page showing support. Besides already liking all the wacky things he does, he's also a really nice guy.

Hopefully I see you at the festival! I'm really planning on going, my friend who I went to the 2011 one with may need some more convincing but I'm gonna plan on being there for sure.

richardp
03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Lollapalooza is sold out BTW. Took less than 4 hours.

Jesus christ. Didn't it take like well over a month for it to sell out last year? I remember in 2010, I bought my passes like, 3 months after they went on sale, and last year I bought them a couple of weeks after the lineup announcement in late april.

As much fun as I had last year and in 2010, Lollapalooza is kind of turning into the mecha for spoiled underage teenagers to come and get high and listen to DJs without giving a fuck about the music. So maybe its time for me to just let go of Lolla and invest my time in a different midwest festival.

Kid Charlemagne
03-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Oh I will, when I saw him last fall tons of people had their spatula's ready. It was amazing, it was a smaller club show and he invited everyone on stage during Wonton Soup. After the show he signed whatever people wanted and posed for pictures. We're Facebook friends and he apparently remembered me from our chats before and told me "Hey Jake, good to see you here...hit me up on Facebook soon." Plus, whenever my dog was diagnosed with IMHA last year and was sadly passing away, he always was on my page showing support. Besides already liking all the wacky things he does, he's also a really nice guy.

Hopefully I see you at the festival! I'm really planning on going, my friend who I went to the 2011 one with may need some more convincing but I'm gonna plan on being there for sure.

Right now I'm planning on it, this lineup is just stacked. I would love to finally see Belle and Sebastian.

As for Lollapalooza, that's just nuts, I'm thinking next year they'll have to move it to two weekends like they have with Coachella and Austin City Limits. I had a a blast in 2010, but it looks like the audience is changing and it's becoming (like Coachella and ACL) a festival in which it's just cool to go to and to be seen rather than listen to the music.

Dra508
03-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Jesus christ. Didn't it take like well over a month for it to sell out last year? I remember in 2010, I bought my passes like, 3 months after they went on sale, and last year I bought them a couple of weeks after the lineup announcement in late april.

As much fun as I had last year and in 2010, Lollapalooza is kind of turning into the mecha for spoiled underage teenagers to come and get high and listen to DJs without giving a fuck about the music. So maybe its time for me to just let go of Lolla and invest my time in a different midwest festival.A sign our economy is really rebounding. Those kids parents are opening the wallet.

Kid Charlemagne
03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
A sign our economy is really rebounding. Those kids parents are opening the wallet.
Does this mean you're taking your kids to Stagecoach?

Dra508
03-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Does this mean you're taking your kids to Stagecoach?
I used to like you.

Kid Charlemagne
03-27-2013, 12:07 AM
I used to like you.

C'mon, BAAHHSTAHN doesn't have a country music festival?

kenthebear
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
kenny rogers on the main stage of glastonbury alongside the rolling stones

lol

just lol

Kid Charlemagne
03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGZwjsCCcAAxYkz.jpg

Sort of a weak undercard after that third line, right?

Dra508
03-28-2013, 07:20 AM
C'mon, BAAHHSTAHN doesn't have a country music festival?Oh yes it does. Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley sell two nights @ Gillette every August.

Dra508
03-28-2013, 07:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGZwjsCCcAAxYkz.jpg

Sort of a weak undercard after that third line, right?Thievery Corporation is pretty good live, if you like their sort of music.

Sutekh
03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
kenny rogers on the main stage of glastonbury alongside the rolling stones

lol

just lol

textbook glastonbury schedule, they'll often put rolf harris or something on before a big band that everyone will arrive early for

Kodiak33
03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty happy with this lineup to be honest. 2Chainz and Kendrick, QOTSA, NIN, Crystal Castles.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Thievery Corporation is pretty good live, if you like their sort of music.

I've seen them twice at ACL, they usually play there every other year, my dad fucking loves them.

Lollapalooza looks top heavy, but they hardly have any hip hop aside from Kendrick and 2Chainz, and their EDM lineup looks worse. Also The Killers being listed before NIN is sort of a joke.

Oh yes it does. Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley sell two nights @ Gillette every August.

Brad Paisley stands as one of the worst concert experiences of my entire life...and he's one of only a select few I can actually stand.

Kodiak33
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
That poster for Lolla was pretty much confirmed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-lollapalooza-lineup-20130328,0,2495045.column

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Man, there's hardly a midcard. NIN and The Cure are good gets, so is New Order. Biggest WTF goes to Eric Church. He can literally sell out arenas on his own, so I'm not sure why he's taking a demotion at Lolla, do people that attend the fest even like Country music?

thefragile_jake
03-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah I'm with you guys.

I mean I still have yet to see Hot Chip, Crystal Castles, Death Grips (holy crap) and Jessie Ware live but there's really nothing else incredibly jumps out at me.

Kodiak33
03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
The best Lolla (IMO) is still 2008...good Lord. I went to 2010 (one day) and 2011 and had a blast.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
2008 was the best year (possibly best festival lineup in recent memory), 2010 was awesome. Death Grips are going to be awesome, they should put them on the South stage before Mumford and Sons just to fuck with people. Lots of country/folk names, almost like they switched out the EDM for those acts. Not a bad lineup, but I think Coachella and Bonnaroo have them beat. Big ups for them booking The Cure though, I'm hoping for a US tour now.

kenthebear
03-28-2013, 12:57 PM
textbook glastonbury schedule, they'll often put rolf harris or something on before a big band that everyone will arrive early for

I understand a cool-down act between big names, but Kenny Rogers? The Gambler got to #22 over here. He's not even a one hit wonder. Everyone loves old Rolfy. Until the paedophilia accusations, I guess.

richardp
03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Hmm. Yeah there's probably only like 8-10 acts on that entire lineup that I want to see. NIN, The Cure, and New Order being the obvious three. Looks like I'll just shoot for getting accepted as Press for Lollapalooza and try to get in that way.

Sutekh
03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Until the paedophilia accusations, I guess.

PMSL... I'm saying nothing!

thevoid99
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM
The only acts I would want to see are NIN, the Cure, New Order, Beach House, Crystal Castles, Grizzly Bear, Hot Chip, and QOSTA. Everything else... BLAH... I hate the fact that Mumbles & Snores are headliners and the Lumineers are in the line-up. I hate that folk shit.

Blackbookpress1984
03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
So, does this mean that it's sealed in stone? or dow we have to wait till the "official" announcement? Also, if it is indeed set in stone, where and how do you buy tickets only for the day NIN is performing? Thats areally all that I am interested in.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Official announcement has been bumped to Tuesday, this is the official lineup, on that day is when they'll probably announce who's playing what day so you can buy day passes accordinglu.

Blackbookpress1984
03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
lol. Interesting. How do you have an official line-up that is in ticket buyers hands, without an official announcement?

richardp
03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Read the last page.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
So schedule may be something like: Sunday- The Cure and Phoenix headlining (this seems the most obvious), Saturday- Mumford and Sons and Nine Inch Nails, Friday- Vampire Weekend and The Killers. Maybe a chance that NIN and Vampire Weekend swap days.

richardp
03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm just excited about the prospects of New Order opening for The Cure on the same stage. Just an unbelievable thought, seeing those two bands back to back. Or hell, even New Order opening for NIN.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2013, 02:04 PM
New Order opening up for the Cure would be beast. I'd literally camp out all day to see that. Hopefully QOTSA opens for NIN, give this shit a 2005 vibe.

richardp
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Oh fuck, I didn't even think of that. They HAVE to be the opener for NIN. There's just no other way to do it. And just think about how good the crowd's will be for these two headliners. All the older chill people will be hanging around to catch the "nostalgia" acts while all the spoiled bro-step kids will be either at Perrys or seeing the popular "in" headliners.

Kid Charlemagne
03-29-2013, 12:20 AM
I would hope for Mumford and NIN to be on the same night, because NIN would have a very intimate crowd. Same shit happened in 2010 with Gaga and the Strokes, and 2011 with My Morning Jacket and Eminem. Em and Gaga had enormous crowds, while I had great views of MMJ and The Strokes, both of which who fucking killed it.

richardp
03-29-2013, 12:42 AM
I would hope for Mumford and NIN to be on the same night, because NIN would have a very intimate crowd. Same shit happened in 2010 with Gaga and the Strokes, and 2011 with My Morning Jacket and Eminem. Em and Gaga had enormous crowds, while I had great views of MMJ and The Strokes, both of which who fucking killed it.

Yeah that's how Black Sabbath was last year. EVERYONE was at either Bassnectar or Black Keys and Sabbath had such a small but incredibly chill crowd. It was fabulous. I hung out towards the back (which technically was the middle of the north field) and ended up standing next to the dude from Jeff, The Brotherhood and we ended up playing air guitar together throughout all of Sabbath's set. A total blast.

Kid Charlemagne
03-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah that's how Black Sabbath was last year. EVERYONE was at either Bassnectar or Black Keys and Sabbath had such a small but incredibly chill crowd. It was fabulous. I hung out towards the back (which technically was the middle of the north field) and ended up standing next to the dude from Jeff, The Brotherhood and we ended up playing air guitar together throughout all of Sabbath's set. A total blast.

Man that sounds awesome! I love The Black Keys as much as any band, but I would've been at Sabbath no question. Such a shame they had a small crowd, but good for those who truly wanted to be there. I imagine it'll be like that for NIN against Mumford and Bros. Also wondering if Phoenix will outdraw The Cure considering the landscape of the festival.

richardp
03-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Man that sounds awesome! I love The Black Keys as much as any band, but I would've been at Sabbath no question. Such a shame they had a small crowd, but good for those who truly wanted to be there. I imagine it'll be like that for NIN against Mumford and Bros. Also wondering if Phoenix will outdraw The Cure considering the landscape of the festival.

Oh I'm almost positive Phoenix will outdraw The Cure. Judging from last years crowd a vast chunk are all teenagers who couldn't care less who The Cure are. Also, another posibility for NIN's set is that many standard people might show up for them and then bounce after they get bored with the new experimental live arrangements and potential lack of Closer.

Although, I will say, sometimes Lolla surprises the fuck out of me. Case in point: Sigur Ros. I swear to god they had the biggest crowd all weekend, and you could hear a fucking pin drop in that south field during their performance. I was so proud of everyone who showed up and actually LISTENED to them.

Kid Charlemagne
03-29-2013, 12:57 AM
Oh I'm almost positive Phoenix will outdraw The Cure. Judging from last years crowd a vast chunk are all teenagers who couldn't care less who The Cure are. Also, another posibility for NIN's set is that many standard people might show up for them and then bounce after they get bored with the new experimental live arrangements and potential lack of Closer.

Although, I will say, sometimes Lolla surprises the fuck out of me. Case in point: Sigur Ros. I swear to god they had the biggest crowd all weekend, and you could hear a fucking pin drop in that south field during their performance. I was so proud of everyone who showed up and actually LISTENED to them.

Were you there in '08 when NIN went up against Yeezy? I'd like to hear what kind of crowd discrepancy they had there. I also wonder if The Cure will do one of the Trilogy albums in full, that'd be awesome.

As for Sigur Ros last year, that's pretty awesome. I guess they're more popular than we think. I was very surprised to hear they sold out an arena here in Austin. Wouldn't be surprised to see them have a huge draw on their night at Coachella considering Phoenix is headlining.

richardp
03-29-2013, 01:10 AM
No I wish I would have been at 2008. That lineup was incredible. I've heard some pretty interesting stories about NIN at Lolla '08 including the tech setup taking ALL DAY and being done in between bands, etc.

And you know, if Sigur Ros really gets aggressive with their touring and marketing for the new album, I think it's safe to assume they could very well end up playing the headline circuit during festival season next year.

Kid Charlemagne
03-29-2013, 01:14 AM
I would love to see Sigur Ros headline a festival for a change. They could easily be a North stage headliners at Lolla and ACL at this point. I'm praying for a Cure tour at this point, haven't seen them in about five years.

skullboy0
03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Were you there in '08 when NIN went up against Yeezy? I'd like to hear what kind of crowd discrepancy they had there.

I didn't go over to Kanye to see how big of a crowd he had, but here's a pic I took shortly before NIN hit the stage:

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/skullboy0/NINcrowd.jpg

allegro
03-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Really? I loooooove them.

ManBurning
03-29-2013, 10:19 PM
What do you guys think the chances of NIN appearing at the Oshega festival in Montreal the same weekend as Lollapalooza are?
It seems like both bills are sharing almost identical lineups, and it wouldn't make sense for NIN to fly back to North America for just 1 show and then back overseas again, right?
I have a feeling they might be hitting up Oshega as well. Hmmm...

Personally, i'd rather they announce them together so I have the choice of staying in Canada and going to the festival in Montreal, rather than having to cross the boarder and go to lollapalooza in Chicago.

I know EXACTLY what's going to happen... come Monday, April 1st, Lollapalooza is gonna drop the NIN bomb that they are officially confirmed, then on Wednesday, April 3rd tickets will go on sale and sell out in 4 hours again for NIN day. 2 weeks later Oshega will be like"hey, hey, hey guess what? NIN are our 3rd headlining act!" --thanks guys! I just wasted money on Lolla tickets... urgh....

The Oshega poster/website says over 20 more acts to be announced, and the poster only has 2 "MAIN" headliners at the top in big bold letters: "The Cure" and "Mumford and Sons" all the acts on the 2nd line seem to b supporting acts and not headlining acts (Phoenix, Vampire weekend, new order, the lumineers) which leads me to beleive that the 3rd and final headline act, could be none other than NIN, and they were told strictly to keep it confidential until Lollapalooza was ready to confirm their lineup.

Any thoughts on this?

richardp
03-29-2013, 11:44 PM
I guarantee you that NIN will not be announced for Osheaga. The headliners are already announced. When festivals say "more acts to follow" it's always smaller bands. THere is no way in hell that NIN is playing Osheaga. Sorry dude.

Kid Charlemagne
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Yeah, Osheaga has its headliners in tact already. The festival just adds smaller acts unfortunately like Rich said. If NIN does another festival in that timeframe, I'd bet it'll be Outside Lands in California.

ManBurning
03-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah, Osheaga has its headliners in tact already. The festival just adds smaller acts unfortunately like Rich said. If NIN does another festival in that timeframe, I'd bet it'll be Outside Lands in California.

Outside lands eh?? Hmm... now you've peaked my Interest! Short trip down from Vancouver. Hmm...
Now a predicament... Should I buy lolla tickets on Wednesday or wait and gamble with NIN playing at this Outside lands festival.

I don't suppose anyone has any idea when this lineup usually gets released? The facebook and actual website are less than helpful. "stay tuned for an annoucement soon!"

EDIT: based on 2012, the lineup came out on April 17th. So guessing it will be another 2-3 weeks yet. So none of you guys anticipate the lolla 1 day passes selling out immediatly? Wonder if I should wait for this festival to get announced and then decide. Decisions, Decisions.

richardp
03-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Honestly, based on how fast the 3 Day passes went, I wouldn't expect the single day tickets to last longer than a couple of hours.

ManBurning
03-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Honestly, based on how fast the 3 Day passes went, I wouldn't expect the single day tickets to last longer than a couple of hours.

That's what I figured, but tell that to @allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76)

(as per the response I got in the Nine Inch Nails 2013 tour thread with the exactly same above wall of text I just copied and pasted over there to see what other responses I would gather from people who don't come to this thread)

I don't remember Lolla Chicago ever selling out a one-day ticket that fast for anybody, are you sure? That's now 95,000 tickets. (Well, minus the Early Bird and cheap Three Days that are already sold out,).

edit: Tickets were still available the morning of the show (daily capacity in 2008 was 75,000): http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Maximum-capacity-Lollapalooza-2008-sold-out08804939

allegro
03-30-2013, 10:48 PM
The 3 Day passes always go fast, because they're cheaper and you get the wristband allowing you to come and go whenever you want (which you can't do with a single-day pass).

It appears that Perry and the three Chucks allotted a LOT less Three-Day passes this year, since they sold out in minutes with Mumford & Sons, Phoenix and Vampire Weekend (who've played Pitchfork twice already) as the only known headliners. $235 wtf. But scalpers are already selling those. Ugh the single days are gonna be stupid expensive.

I predict that whatever day THE CURE plays will go fast. That is the only day I give a shit about. I fucking hate Lolla now. I hope all the drunk talking through the whole show we're only here to get drunk and get laid assholes stay the fuck away from wherever I am.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9042769

Meanwhile, we also have Pitchfork. Bjork and Wire, hmmm ...
http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2013/03/26/full-pitchfork-music-festival-2013-lineup/65158/

Pitchfork is cooler than Lolla except you can't leave and come back, their infrastructure is ridiculous (wait in line for 30 minutes to pee in a porta-potty full of barf, not nearly enough drinking water and it's JULY, mud mud mud, piggy people leaving garbage everywhere and no staff cleans it up) and their food (which you're stuck with) sucks. At least Lolla has Graham Elliott and Connie's pizza. Pitchfork has cold vegan burgers soaked in spilled 312 beer. And the hippies don't have a wine tent.

Kid Charlemagne
03-31-2013, 12:03 PM
I only figured NIN for Outside Lands as wishful thinking. It happens a week after and to me it would be strange if NIN just does one festival, while Lolla and OSL usually share a nice chunk of acts and NIN have yet to play OSL. I would purchase single days to be on the safe side for Lolla. If they end up playing OSL, you can always sell the Lolla tickets because I'm extremely sure someone will take them off your hands. The more I look at it, Lolla doesn't seem too bad for a lineup, I don't care too much about NIN anymore, but I would give my left nut to see The Cure again.

ManBurning
03-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Before the Lolla lineup leaked, The Cure updated their facebook page that they would be attending Fuji Rock fest, and THAT was actually the push that made me *almost* want to fly to Japan for Fuji Rock. I mean for NIN alone... yeah, I was just gonna wait for the US arena tour. I don't need to see NIN at a festival *That* bad, but when They announced the Cure and NIN would BOTH be attending, holy smokes, all hell broke loose.

So naturally, when the lolla lineup leaked and the 2 acts I was almost ready to fly to Japan for, were rumoed to be there, that's where this whole "Hey, let's just go to lolla" idea came from. I have a feeling The Cure is gonna go on a whole US trek this summer though, they might just be waiting for lolla to release their lineup and they'll announce headling area shows a few weeks later.

As for the rest of the festival, 90% of the stuff I have no idea what any of it is but, a few other acts that are decent for me would be QOTSA, New Order, Cat Power, Crystal Castles and Robert DeLong.

I really can't see NIN flying back to North America for just 1 show though, since there are 2 weeks between the end of the Japan dates and the next European dates, lolla makes sense for sure, but there has to be something else thrown in there. So in that sense OSL makes alot of sense. since this seems to be a festival run.

allegro
03-31-2013, 03:30 PM
we'd read that Robert Smith developed a flying phobia and would never fly again so we figured, that's it, no more Cure in the U.S. But I guess he was miraculously cured (no pun intended), or he took a boat here and then he'll stay a while, touring.

thevoid99
03-31-2013, 06:07 PM
No, I heard he still takes the boat.

Kid Charlemagne
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
And it looks like QOTSA will open for NIN on that Friday of the festival. Big WTF to the Postal Service headlining, I'm guessing they're sharing the bill with The National on their day, no Vampy Weeks headlining, and New Order opening up for The Killers.

allegro
04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
So what day is The Cure gonna be?

edit: never mind, just saw answer to question: Sunday.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/04/lollapalooza-confirms-2013-lineup-day-by-day-breakdown/

richardp
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
And it looks like QOTSA will open for NIN on that Friday of the festival. Big WTF to the Postal Service headlining, I'm guessing they're sharing the bill with The National on their day, no Vampy Weeks headlining, and New Order opening up for The Killers.

Yeah I don't understand how The Postal Service can headline based soley on ONE album that is only 45 minutes long. And it kind of sucks that New Order will probably be opening for The Killers because I really don't want to have to book it a mile up north to see NIN as soon as New Order ends their set, if I end up getting press passes and going.

redshoewearer
04-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Do you think NIN will play opposite The Killers? I might be going with someone who really likes The Killers and NIN, so that would be devastating for them. If we go, I'll buy day 1 and day 3 passes and do something else besides Lolla on day 2. I would love to see The Cure again.

allegro
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Do you think NIN will play opposite The Killers? I might be going with someone who really likes The Killers and NIN, so that would be devastating for them.
They're opposite each other, yes.

We're gonna go for Sunday, only. G's already off that day so it's kismet. I fell asleep the last time I saw The Cure (they were, like, the 90th band to go onstage) but they won't go on so late this time because there's a curfew heh.

Kid Charlemagne
04-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Yeah I don't understand how The Postal Service can headline based soley on ONE album that is only 45 minutes long. And it kind of sucks that New Order will probably be opening for The Killers because I really don't want to have to book it a mile up north to see NIN as soon as New Order ends their set, if I end up getting press passes and going.

To be honest, that whole Saturday aside from Postal Service, The National, and Death Grips is going to suck. But I'm willing to bet they give Postal Service an hour, but National with 90 minutes to compensate for them going on earlier.

ibanez33
04-02-2013, 12:54 AM
To be honest, that whole Saturday aside from Postal Service, The National, and Death Grips is going to suck. But I'm willing to bet they give Postal Service an hour, but National with 90 minutes to compensate for them going on earlier.

The Postal Service have a few new songs to add to their set too, and Ben always manages to throw in a cover song or 2 when he's on stage, but this could still be very different from a Death Cab show.

richardp
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Single Day passes for Lollapalooza all sold out within a couple of hours. Next year they're going to really have no other choice than to pull a Coachella and do a second weekend.

What shows you the demographic going to Lolla though, is that Saturday sold out almost immediately.

Blackbookpress1984
04-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Single Day passes for Lollapalooza all sold out within a couple of hours. Next year they're going to really have no other choice than to pull a Coachella and do a second weekend.

What shows you the demographic going to Lolla though, is that Saturday sold out almost immediately.

So true. I had a friend by my friday ticker (solely to see NIN) cause I'm at work. When you hover over the artists to see how many people had added them to their "setlist" the killers blew everyone away, and no one seemed to care about NIN or the cure. Which made me happy to be honest, cause I knew I would ge the friday ticket with no issue.

ManBurning
04-03-2013, 12:03 PM
I didn't care for Saturday either, not a single act I know of on that day, so i'm shocked that was the one that sold out the quickest. Guess i'm just stuck in the 90's and don't know what's "cool" and "with it" these days. Mumford and Sons? What is that? lol... I also keep hearing the name "The Postal Service" everywhere I go and how so many people are excited this band got back together... back together? I never even knew who they were in the first place. Wow... where have I been?

But yeah, you hover over The Killers on the lolla page and it shows almost 7000 people have it as their most viewed/excited about band (whatever you want to call it) of Friday night, where as NIN only has 3555. But hey, that works out better for us (the people that are going for NIN) Rather have the NIN stage less crowded so i'm not fighting for a decent spot.

allegro
04-03-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm kinda relieved because I really didn't want to go to Lollapalooza. I am completely and officially Lollapalooza'd out. And The Cure is allegedly doing a full tour in the States so I'd rather blow my money on seeing them in a non-festival environment, instead.

Kid Charlemagne
04-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Always thought the logical first step should be just to offer 3-day passes. Coachella and Bonnaroo do that, and they do very well, then you can go to a two weekend deal. Saturday selling out in record time scares me, mostly because I didn't think Mumford and Sons were that popular within Lollapalooza's demographic. I remember seeing them in 2010 on a side stage on the North side of the park which was the smaller side.

allegro
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
The Lolla demographic is constantly changing.

I think these sold-out tix just indicates that Perry is trying to push those VIP tickets.

Seriously, though, tix for all of these days will be available on StubHub by tonight, guaranteed. edit: already there (http://www.stubhub.com/search/doSearch?searchStr=lollapalooza&pageNumber=1&resultsPerPage=50&searchMode=event&start=0&rows=50&geo_exp=1)

There are also a shitload of other ticket brokers in Chicago. It's legal, here.

becoming
04-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I honestly don't understand how everyone got tix for Friday like no problem... I sat at my pc screen for an hour only to get nothing.

Now I guess I'm gonna get charged $65 more a ticket because Frontgate fucking blows.

redshoewearer
04-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I got passes for day 1 and 3, but there's nothing really on day 2 that we want to see, so we'll do other Chicago things that day. I'm going with my daughter - she wanted to see The Killers, but she said and I quote, 'I'm not passing up a chance to see NIN just for The Killers'.

I'd rather see The Cure in a non-festival setting too, but summer is the only time we'll be able to do anything together, and I don't know what the my fall schedule will be like.

fortysixand2
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I honestly don't understand how everyone got tix for Friday like no problem... I sat at my pc screen for an hour only to get nothing.

Now I guess I'm gonna get charged $65 more a ticket because Frontgate fucking blows.

Same. A friend and I had both our iPhones and laptops trying to get Friday tix only to come away empty handed. We were able to get Sunday tix though. We were there the minute they went on sale. There's currently 481 tickets available on Stubhub though! Such bullshit. It'd be really cool if they switched Sunday's lineup with Saturday or Friday with Saturday. Now I have to pay probably $150+ for a hotel Saturday night just to see NIN and The Cure. This festival's going to hurt.

Kodiak33
04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
That's horrible about the single days, I don't understand what's up this year with that.

ManBurning
04-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Now I have to pay probably $150+ for a hotel Saturday night just to see NIN and The Cure. This festival's going to hurt.

Good luck getting a Hotel for under $200! My girlfriend and I already booked ours, literally one of the ones right across from Grant Park (don't recall the name) and it was $222 a night, and that was the best in the area considering proximity to the festival. There were hotels that needed an hour worth of transit to get to from the festival that were STILL around $200 a night.

This festival is defintaly going to hurt (the wallet) pretty damn hard. We booked an extra day on Thursday just so we can get settled in the night before the festival. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. 4 night stay x $222 = $888 + any other ridiculious hotel fees they decide to throw our way, + the $400 we spent on our tickets and travel fare which is going to be around $1000 (we're stopping in my hometown of Winnipeg on the way to the festival to visit friends as family). So this trip is gonna cost us an arm and a leg hahaha... bwtween $1700-2000 each no doubt. Damn... think about how many west coast arena shows I could have attended for that money...

Nearly 2 grand on a shortened NIN setlist, I must be insane!

richardp
04-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Always thought the logical first step should be just to offer 3-day passes. Coachella and Bonnaroo do that, and they do very well, then you can go to a two weekend deal. Saturday selling out in record time scares me, mostly because I didn't think Mumford and Sons were that popular within Lollapalooza's demographic. I remember seeing them in 2010 on a side stage on the North side of the park which was the smaller side.

I was there too, because I was waiting for them to end to grab rail for MuteMath, who were playing that stage next. That was the first time I'd heard Mumford and even then I was severely unimpressed.

Kid Charlemagne
04-04-2013, 01:01 AM
I was there too, because I was waiting for them to end to grab rail for MuteMath, who were playing that stage next. That was the first time I'd heard Mumford and even then I was severely unimpressed.

I remember my brother's friend telling me to check them out because she said they were like Fleet Foxes, I left after two songs. I decided to wait it out for Yeasayer instead. If I had money, I'd go to Osheaga.

allegro
04-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Good luck getting a Hotel for under $200! My girlfriend and I already booked ours, literally one of the ones right across from Grant Park (don't recall the name) and it was $222 a night, and that was the best in the area considering proximity to the festival.
The Congress? We ARE a big city, so hotels aren't cheap although we're not nearly as expensive as NYC. But that's a nice weekend vacation in Chicago, too; you should have a lot of fun,

ManBurning
04-04-2013, 03:40 AM
The Congress? We ARE a big city, so hotels aren't cheap although we're not nearly as expensive as NYC. But that's a nice weekend vacation in Chicago, too; you should have a lot of fun,

Yeah, it is the Congress! When I first saw your post and the name, it didn't ring a bell and was about to dismiss it, until I went back to expedia hotel search to look at the map of hotels to find the one we booked, and yep it's the Congress, good guess.

Our summer vacation last year was actually 5 days in NYC, and we paid out the ass for that trip as well. We stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania in downtown Manhattan. Don't remember what the nightly rate was, but it wasn't cheap considering the tiny ass room we got. The window was permenantly stuck open as well about 4 inches, just wouldn't close. We basically chose it because it was one of the very few hotels in NYC that actually came equipped with a fridge. Fridges are an absolute necessity in my mind!

allegro
04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
The Congress is the only hotel right there at Michigan and Congress Pkwy across from the Auditorium Theater, it's the closest hotel to Grant Park. It's not luxury, it's old and tired, but its location and fairly cheap rate make it popular for Lolla attendees. Zagat gives Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC a 10 and the Congress a 14 so you're moving up heh.

edit: the husband is now bummed because HE wanted to see the Cure at Lolla. Scalper tix may be in our future

Kodiak33
04-04-2013, 07:09 AM
I remember my brother's friend telling me to check them out because she said they were like Fleet Foxes, I left after two songs. I decided to wait it out for Yeasayer instead. If I had money, I'd go to Osheaga.

Holy shit Yeasayer was great in 2010. I went to mainly see Soundgarden, so we saw Wolfmother too...all of their songs sounded very similar.

Kodiak33
04-04-2013, 07:10 AM
If you're going to Chicago, I would highly suggest taking the El and getting a cheaper hotel. It's really easy to navigate, although you might have some issues getting back because of the crowd leaving.

allegro
04-04-2013, 07:14 AM
You've heard of our current CTA crime problem? Actually, our all over the place crime problem hahaha. Ugh.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-04-01/news/chi-cops-multiple-arrests-after-mag-mile-disturbances-20130330_1_woman-police-station-strong-arm-robbery

I can't recommend the CTA to the average tourist right now. The Metra is really safe, though.

just be sure to check the bed bug registry

Dra508
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Really? I loooooove them.

I've seen them twice. Early evening main stage at Coachella which admittedly was a stretch for them + my brother dragged me away for something else. They opened for Massive Attack and I'll probably get disowned here for this statement, but I thought Thievery Corporation was better than Massive Attack in a 1,700 cap. theater.

One week till I fly to Palm Springs. Really looking forward to 100+ degrees!

Kid Charlemagne
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
One week till I fly to Palm Springs. Really looking forward to 100+ degrees!

I was really hoping we'd get the cold weather again. That was ideal for me.

the duder
04-12-2013, 09:19 PM
So...anyone who likes folk/americana, vote for my cousin's band to play Bonnaroo (http://bonnaroo.sonicbids.com/artist/hive-robbers/)!

richardp
04-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Watching the Coachella webcast and just caught Victoria from Beach House get super irate at someone off to the side of the stage during a song, and seemed to have ended Irene a bit pre-maturely. I wonder what the hell happened there.

Deepvoid
04-23-2013, 05:11 PM
The Quebec Summer Festival just announced its lineup.

The Black Keys, Bruno Mars, Tiësto, Wu-Tang Clan, Def Leppard, Weezer, Rush, Wiz Khalifa, MGMT, Foreigner, Bad Religion, Bassnectar, Belle & Sebastien, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, Passion Pit, Lisa Leblanc.

Very diversified. Might end going afterall.

thefragile_jake
04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Finally got my Pitchfork Fest tickets!

JamesCmuse
04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
For those going to Reading and don't know who Biffy Clyro are, I just thought I'd post a link. I think they're pretty good..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYzPEXOy5w

EDIT: I put the wrong video in the tags, it's correct now.

thefragile_jake
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
LouFest, St. Louis' indie rock festival going on three years, is having a game where they're having a letter announce the lineup everyday until next the official lineup announcement next week.

http://www.loufest.com/2013-lineup/

So far people have been going with the Killers, Wilco, The National, Alabama Shakes, Edward Sharpe and several others in that vein. Pretty lackluster stuff in my opinion. I love the National...but I with with the people behind Oshega and Lollapalooza apparently behind this now...if you're two biggest acts are Killers and Wilco, I'm not sure what to think really.

People have been saying Tame Impala and Toro y Moi could possibly be on the bill which is exciting...and that Wilco COULD be Bjork instead...which I wouldn't mind seeing her twice in one year....but with the rest of the twang-friendly acts playing so far on the bill...Wilco makes the most sense.

ibanez33
04-30-2013, 05:11 PM
The Shambhala (http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/) line-ups were just released and look amazing! Going to have to miss it again, though, since it's the same weekend as Squamish... Maybe next year I'll finally get out there and experience it.

richardp
04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Mountain Oasis FTW guys. NIN, HTDA, Gary Numan, GY!BE, Animal Collective, Chromatics, Tricky, The Bug, Zola Jesus, and Bassnectar. Unreal.

ManBurning
04-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Mountain Oasis FTW guys. NIN, HTDA, Gary Numan, GY!BE, Animal Collective, Chromatics, Tricky, The Bug, Zola Jesus, and Bassnectar. Unreal.

Don't forget about Robert DeLong! Damn, I love that guy! First saw him open for the Faint last November and have been following him ever since! He's got some wicked stuff. Lookin' forward to his set at Lolla. He's on every major festival this year. Guy's getting pretty recognized.

Kid Charlemagne
05-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Austin City Limits knocked it out of the park this year:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJq4OVnCIAE2eH5.jpg

Rdm
05-07-2013, 03:41 PM

I bought two tickets to the show. I can't pass up a show like this. No fucking way

Rdm
05-08-2013, 02:44 AM
ummmmm Mountain Oasis Electronic Music Summit just added BIOSPHERE HOLY SHIT. Best show ever, plus still to come. WTF. how can this thing get better?

ManBurning
05-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Set times for Lollapalooza were released today. A few acts I want to see overlap, so I guess i'll have to do some planning.

http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/events/2013/08/02/

So far here's what I have:

* = Must see, everything else is just to fill the gaps based on the time blocks.

Robert DeLong - 12:15-1:00*
San Cisco - 1:00-1:45
Ghost (BC) - 2:15-3:15*
Monsta - 3:15-4:15
Crystal castles - 4:15-5:15*

After that probably just head over to the QOTSA/ NIN stage so I can score a good spot for Nails.
QOTSA - 6:15-7:30
NIN - 8:15-10*

Stuff that I would like to see, but conflicts with other stuff would be:
New Order, Hot Chip and Brick & Mortar. But, I think I have a pretty good schedule for Friday.

As for Sunday, the other day I am attending. Pretty much just going for the Cure, but will also check out Alt-J and Dog Blood. Nothing else interests me.

richardp
05-15-2013, 12:15 AM
QOTSA vs New Order is the harshest conflict of the entire Lolla weekend, in my opinion.

ManBurning
05-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Yeah, i'd rather see New Order, personally. However, i'm not gonna sacrifice a good spot for Nails. If I go anywhere close to the New Order stage, I won't be able to get anywhere close to see NIN's show that won't make them look like ants on a stage.

However, The Killers do have a pretty massive fanbase, so maybe NIN's area might let up a bit.

allegro
05-15-2013, 03:12 AM
New Order is missing Peter Hook, sooooooooo ...

Kodiak33
05-15-2013, 07:12 AM
I think the Killers crowd will be pretty busy. I would like to see NIN, but I may wait for the separate tour. I really want to see New Order and Hot Chip.

richardp
05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
New Order is missing Peter Hook, sooooooooo ...

And Paul McCartney is missing the rest of The Beatles but people still go to see him

Kodiak33
05-15-2013, 11:04 AM
The Killers are great live, I saw them in Indy at a theatre a few years ago.

allegro
05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
And Paul McCartney is missing the rest of The Beatles but people still go to see him
Paul McCartney had successful a solo career and a band (Wings) after the Beatles, so bad analogy.

Have you seen New Order lately? A lot of us saw them in 2005 (twice!). Meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsnM9qQ0_u0

frankie teardrop
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
in all fairness, new order were NEVER a tremendous live band. barney can barely sing, though he sounds "fine" on record. if you watch a lot of the old footage, the band sounds rickety at times (though solid at others) but bernard's voice always is the biggest downside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VcGJZpfl1c

and that's at their peak...

that said, hook not being involved is a major downside to seeing new order in 2013. maybe the new guy can get the job done but that's a pretty key component to new order's sound. hook's parts aren't hard to play necessarily (i cut my bass chops on him and gallup without any lessons), but there's something to be said about the personality behind the playing.

i'm not defending hook, either. i feel that both camps are doing a fantastic job of tarnishing their legacy. press barbs between both camps, barney wearing their own t-shirts on stage, hook's joy division concerts and general attitude... it's all kind of embarrassing and the fact that the live show was never great kind of makes it worse.

long story short, new order are a complicated mess these days. unless you're forgiving or they're on your bucket list, you can probably pass on them and secure a solid spot for NIN.

Kid Charlemagne
05-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I saw New Order last month at Coachella and they fucking killed it, I also saw them in 2005 and they were good then. They are a legacy act and I wouldn't mind seeing them againwith or without Hook (I'll be seeing them in July as well). Any of you downplaying their shows because Peter Hook is gone should actually see them live before you press judgement.

If I go to Lolla, which is still a possibility, I'd go:

Friday: IO Echo>Icona Pop>Ghost BC>Father John Misty>Band of Horses>Thievery Co>QotSA>NIN
Saturday: Pujol>Charles Bradley>Local Natives>The National>Death Grips>Postal Service
Sunday: Jake Bugg>Baroness>Wavves>Vampire Weekend>The Cure

Bullshit that Vampire Weekend conflicts with Grizzly Bear and Beach House, also two hours isn't nearly enough time for The Cure.

frankie teardrop
05-15-2013, 12:30 PM
the two of us downplaying their live show have seen them, KC. hook being gone is just the icing on the cake, as they are generally underwhelming. it was just an OK show, at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpgF-YLYrE

the vocals at 2:20-->2:30 are just dire. didn't get much further than that.

honestly they're one of my all time favorites, so i'm not hating on them for no good reason. new order and jesus and mary chain are two of the biggest disappointments i've ever seen live. my bloody valentine are way up there, too.

Kid Charlemagne
05-15-2013, 12:38 PM
the two of us downplaying their live show have seen them, KC. hook being gone is just the icing on the cake, as they are generally underwhelming. it was just an OK show, at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpgF-YLYrE

the vocals at 2:20-->2:30 are just dire. didn't get much further than that.

honestly they're one of my all time favorites, so i'm not hating on them for no good reason. new order and jesus and mary chain are two of the biggest disappointments i've ever seen live. my bloody valentine are way up there, too.

That clip doesn't do him justice. The band sounded great and had more energy and the crowd was pretty electric.

I totally disagree with you on all accounts. Having seen New Order, JAMC, and MBV within the past four years, all of those shows were great. MBV nearly destroyed my hearing and JAMC put on as professional as a show as possible. No fighting, no miscues, they killed it.

richardp
05-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Paul McCartney had successful a solo career and a band (Wings) after the Beatles, so bad analogy.

Have you seen New Order lately? A lot of us saw them in 2005 (twice!). Meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsnM9qQ0_u0

Well, you know, some of us HAVEN'T ever seen New Order and still would like to cross that off of our bucket lists regardless of if some of you weren't satisfied with the multiple performances that you saw.

frankie teardrop
05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
i love when you guys get bent out of shape about a negative opinon/review.

i was just sharing my experience to help ManBurning make a judgement call based on his desire to be closer for NIN's set. which i would prioritize, considering my own experiences vs. how generally consistent NIN can be. i'm probably a bigger new order fan and listen to them more regularly, but given the choice, i'd definitely see NIN's live show over new order.

i did say go if they're on your bucket list. you'll have fun dancing to substance and joy division classics but you can forget it if you want to hear anything else from movement or other album tracks. they don't flat out suck but there are some flaws that are hard to ignore, especially if you're paying an arm and a leg to see them. then you add in all the band drama, etc. and it just complicates matters more. new order are a difficult band these days, as i said, and it's hard to look past all this especially when the band has never been known to be a great live act.

KC- that video was a pretty fair representation of my own experiences last year at roseland. it's not the sound mix or anything that could be misinterpreted in a video stream- he clearly missed those notes and sang poorly. that's been barney's problem since new order started, this shouldn't be news to anyone.

as for the other bands, i've discussed this at length elsewhere, but JAMC had zero energy, played with their amps turned down too low, and generally couldn't give a fuck about playing which gave the impression that they just reunited for the paycheck. no urgency/necessity there- it was lame. MBV on the other hand, were so punishingly loud that all the beauty and melody that's present in their recordings was completely overshadowed by the volume.

Kid Charlemagne
05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
I had as much fun seeing New Order at Coachella then I did any other act, sans Blur. Having seeing them in 2005, they were good and even now they're still good. I even skipped seeing Phoenix and Sigur Ros to see them, and I don't regret a thing about it. I stood by the soundboard the whole time and enjoyed every minute of it. Every band has miscues, but it's not like there were a substantial amount that took me out of the show.

I saw JAMC when they did SXSW at the Belmont last year and they sounded great. It was an intimate venue and they seemed into it. They did two encores and schooled most of the young bands that whole week. They even gave us something like six songs off Psychocandy, I wasn't expecting a great show, but I was satisfied. It was also near the beginning of their US jaunt, so that may have had a lot to do with it.

As for MBV, they were probably the second loudest band I've seen (Dinosaur Jr. is first), but it wasn't to the point where I couldn't take it. The only gripe I had was the 20 minute version of "You Made Me Realise" which is ridiculous in its own right, but other than that I got what I expected had some good earplugs.

frankie teardrop
05-15-2013, 03:02 PM
i have heard more positive reviews about JAMC's latest tour (the one you saw them on) but i was so burnt by that first experience that i haven't been willing to give them a second chance. unfortunately outside of their original riotous performances, they also have a pretty poor reputation as a live band.

i AM willing to give new order another shot though and have tickets to their williamsburg waterfront show this summer (though i'm on the fence about it). i'm not expecting anything to be different (sets so far seem identical, as well), but perhaps i'll be surprised...

despite everything i've heard and seen over the years, i expected them to better the first time around, so perhaps with dimmer expectations i can just let it go and enjoy it for what it is. i'm not holding my breath for a dramatic improvement, but well, i do love them so i'll give them another chance. but that's the takeaway here to anyone dying to see them live. high hopes, medium priority, low expectations is generally a safe way to play it.

allegro
05-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Well, you know, some of us HAVEN'T ever seen New Order and still would like to cross that off of our bucket lists regardless of if some of you weren't satisfied with the multiple performances that you saw.
My original post wasn't directed toward YOU. It was directed toward ManBurning, who wants to get a good spot for NIN. And if you want THAT, you have to get there in front of the NIN stage in the MORNING and suffer through everybody else, honestly.

frankie teardrop: We saw New Order in 2005 at the Aragon and while I guess we get to say "we saw New Order" (like anybody gives a shit), seeing Gang of Four a few times that same year was MUCH MUCH better.

I thought New Order was better at the Aragon than at a festival. So if you want to give them another chance, give them another chance at a club and not a festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-kDh7mTS8

ManBurning
05-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the recomendations folks. I'll definatly stick to my guns with QOTSA/NIN, I mean, NIN are the sole purpose of me even going to Chicago for Lollapalooza this year.
I'm not a die hard New Order fan, and those videos made them seem decent in my mind. I'm just a casual New Order fan who likes a few of their songs. Just would rather see them over QOTSA if I had the chance as I saw Queens open for NIN so many times on that [With_Teeth] tour, that it would be nice to watch a new band I haven't seen for a change, but they're not exactly on a bucket list of mine.

As for standing in line all morning to stand in front of the NIN stage, nah i'll pass on that. Not gonna stand in a mosh pit for 10 hours in the blazing sun with little to no water haha, that's just suicide. I've done the rail thing for NIN plenty of times, wouldn't wanna do it at a festival, doing it in a club environment or area setting is torture enough.

As long as I am, say 20-30 rows back or so, i'm happy. Don't need to be super close, but don't wanna be too far away either. I'll make a judgement when I get to the festival on how much time will be needed to secure a decent spot.
Ghost (BC) is playing the same stage as them, just many hours earlier in the day. They are on my list of bands I don't wanna miss, so i'll see how the crowd is over at the stage for them.

Come to think if it, I don't really need to stray away from that stage for much throughout the day. maybe just for Crystal Castles at 4:15-5:15, after that I can just head on over there to secure a spot before Queens goes on. That probably is a better plan.

allegro
05-16-2013, 04:22 AM
When we saw NIN at Lolla last time, we didn't head over there until Love and Rockets (on just before NIN) and we ended up right next to the sound tent, it was packed to about that point.

ManBurning
05-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh really? Wow... you're making me rethink my game plan now...
I'm still banking on The Killers taking alot of the crowd away.

When you go to the lolla page and hover over the name of the artist to find out who has added it to their watch list, Killers has twice as many people than NIN does.
12982 VS 6806. That probably gives a good idea. And last time NIN did lolla, didn't they go up against Kanye West? There's no surprise there that the NIN stage was packed, lol.

allegro
05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
And last time NIN did lolla, didn't they go up against Kanye West? There's no surprise there that the NIN stage was packed, lol.
Well, but there are a LOT of people at Lolla each day (nearly 100,000 people per day). So even if Kanye took more than half the entire crowd (Kanye is FROM CHICAGO and has a HUGE following, here (http://archives.dawn.com/archives/107914)), that still leaves a LOT of people over at the NIN stage. Simple math, nevermind the shoddy math over at the Lolla site which assumes that every attendee is responding to the watch list. I'm just saying guide yourself accordingly. The last time I went to Lolla (I used to go every year for 3 days but I can't hack it anymore, even though it's a 20 minute drive from my house), I PRIMARILY wanted to see Frightened Rabbit on a side stage. It's so crowded, now, I couldn't even get anywhere near the fucking Frightened Rabbit side stage at 2 pm.

Behold Kanye's crowd in 2008:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mWZfhcLRXho

richardp
05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Oh really? Wow... you're making me rethink my game plan now...
I'm still banking on The Killers taking alot of the crowd away.

When you go to the lolla page and hover over the name of the artist to find out who has added it to their watch list, Killers has twice as many people than NIN does.
12982 VS 6806. That probably gives a good idea. And last time NIN did lolla, didn't they go up against Kanye West? There's no surprise there that the NIN stage was packed, lol.

You absolutely cannot base those "added to my watch list" things as being accurate accounts of who will go see who. Half the time people don't end up making it to other bands because of conflicts or just walking distance. Hell, last year I think only like 5,000 max added Sigur Ros and they legitimately had one of the biggest crowds all weekend. The Killers aren't remotely as big as you think they are, anymore. NIN will still be pretty damn packed regardless.

Kid Charlemagne
05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm betting on NIN having a bigger crowd this time around (this guy was at Kanye). Kanye is arguably the biggest artist on the planet, so of course he had a fucking packed area. The Killers have stalled in popularity, they played an arena here last week that was half the size of the one they played in 2009, and they didn't sell it out, they were giving away $5 tickets. The Killers may still outdraw them, but it's going to be closer than most people think. It'd be different if it were Black Keys or Mumford and Bros, but The Killers haven't been legit in about four years. NIN on the other hand is a nice reunion.

allegro
05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Yup. And if Kanye was packed over where you were, and I wasn't able to get (without being a total DOUCHE) closer to the NIN stage than the sound tent (having arrived at the NIN stage for the band just before NIN), then it's safe to say that if ManBurning wants to be closer than "20 rows back," he'd better start checking the crowd levels pretty early.

Kid Charlemagne
05-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Yep, I'd get there before QOTSA plays, because I'm willing to bet at least 75% of that crowd overlaps. I never saw the crowd size for NIN, but Kanye had a crowd that took up the whole South Field and then some. RATM had a pretty lopsided crowd that weekend also, they went up against Wilco who literally had one of the smallest headlining crowds I've seen at any festival.

ManBurning
05-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Hmm, yeah... this is getting rather frightening. Maybe I might have to sit there in front of that stage all day long. I should take the advice from people who have actually attended this festival in the past. Well, there goes a fun Friday, lol. 10 hours in the 100 degree heat it is!

Or, I could not worry about it and just be happy i'm at a festival with Nails regardless of where I am and wait for the North American fall arena dates to do my close up NIN rocking, heh.

JessicaSarahS
05-17-2013, 12:56 AM
As for standing in line all morning to stand in front of the NIN stage, nah i'll pass on that. Not gonna stand in a mosh pit for 10 hours in the blazing sun with little to no water haha, that's just suicide.

You can bring in two 1-liter factory sealed bottles of water to Lolla. I did that and put it in a camelpak once inside, no water issues.

allegro
05-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Or, I could not worry about it and just be happy i'm at a festival with Nails regardless of where I am and wait for the North American fall arena dates to do my close up NIN rocking, heh.
Now THAT is a good idea!! :-)

Yep, I'd get there before QOTSA plays, because I'm willing to bet at least 75% of that crowd overlaps. I never saw the crowd size for NIN, but Kanye had a crowd that took up the whole South Field and then some. RATM had a pretty lopsided crowd that weekend also, they went up against Wilco who literally had one of the smallest headlining crowds I've seen at any festival.
The south field area is much bigger, that's why they put artists like Radiohead and Pearl Jam over there. Wasn't the Rage crowd the ones that trampled the fence to get in? That shit was nuts. Tom is from Chicago (wait, but so is Wilco) so I expected increased interest but nothing like THAT shit.

I think Kanye actually had a bigger crowd than when we saw Radiohead or Pearl Jam on the south stage, based on the You Tube vids.

BIGGEST festival crowd I've ever been in was when 78, 000 people decided to show up for a free Stevie Wonder show at Taste of Chicago in Grant Park, holy shit that was nuts. Great show, though. (http://blogcritics.org/music/article/concert-review-stevie-wonder-at-taste/)

ManBurning
05-17-2013, 01:11 AM
You can bring in two 1-liter factory sealed bottles of water to Lolla. I did that and put it in a camelpak once inside, no water issues.

i'd hate to find out the answer to this, but out of curiosity, what does a bottle of water cost at Lollapalooza?

allegro
05-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Hint: Water fountains near the rest rooms at Buckingham Fountain can be used to re-fill water (if the free water refill stations are packed).

http://lostinreviews.com/2012/07/free-water-at-lollapalooza/

Also, the porta potties over by Kidsapalooza are the least disgusting, if you aren't near the flushing toilets by the Buckingham Fountain.

JessicaSarahS
05-17-2013, 01:41 AM
i'd hate to find out the answer to this, but out of curiosity, what does a bottle of water cost at Lollapalooza?

I have no idea. I brought in a camelpak and when I went through my 2 liter water ration, I was able to refill the pak for free at one of those Klean Kanteen stations. Find one that is away from the larger stages. If you don't have a camelpak, there are some radio station or other info booths that give away water bottle bags with a convenient carabiner on it and you can refill that. Sometimes they're set up right before the Lolla entrance in the morning.

Kid Charlemagne
05-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Now THAT is a good idea!! :-)

The south field area is much bigger, that's why they put artists like Radiohead and Pearl Jam over there. Wasn't the Rage crowd the ones that trampled the fence to get in? That shit was nuts. Tom is from Chicago (wait, but so is Wilco) so I expected increased interest but nothing like THAT shit.

I think Kanye actually had a bigger crowd than when we saw Radiohead or Pearl Jam on the south stage, based on the You Tube vids.

BIGGEST festival crowd I've ever been in was when 78, 000 people decided to show up for a free Stevie Wonder show at Taste of Chicago in Grant Park, holy shit that was nuts. Great show, though. (http://blogcritics.org/music/article/concert-review-stevie-wonder-at-taste/)
Yeezy had a bigger crowd than Radiohead from what I heard. Would you say the South Field is about twice the size as the North, because it seems that way each time I've gone.

That Rage crowd was nuts though, they trampled fences and the show had to be stopped multiple times. I just remember the annoying sound bleed from it as Wilco were playing.

Blackbookpress1984
05-17-2013, 01:07 PM
tickets acquired. :) :) :) :) http://2a56b976980e0793ddee-5cc5435fcbc367bb03f9a415e7067a97.r91.cf2.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/riot-fest-20131.jpg

richardp
05-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeezy had a bigger crowd than Radiohead from what I heard. Would you say the South Field is about twice the size as the North, because it seems that way each time I've gone.

That Rage crowd was nuts though, they trampled fences and the show had to be stopped multiple times. I just remember the annoying sound bleed from it as Wilco were playing.

Lady Gaga's crowd in 2010 was absolutely insane too. I heard rumors of 80,000 people at south field for her and the remaining 10-20 thousand at The Strokes. I was fairly close to the stage for her and it took slightly over half an hour to get out of that field once she ended her set.

Kodiak33
06-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Lolla Aftershows Posted:

http://do312.com/lollaaftershows

No NIN, but maybe it won't be official or out later. I like to goto the Kendrick show, but I don't know what else yet.

jessamineny
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Riot Fest just added... The Replacements. Holy shit. On top of the Femmes. And X. And Bob Mould. It's like a musical high school reunion for me.

theimage13
06-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Working Firefly again this year.

Public Enemy plays before Grizzly Bear on the same stage.

:confused:

allegro
06-13-2013, 06:37 AM
The only festival I'm even vaguely considering is the annual Hideout Block Party:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/C-Notes/May-2013/The-Hideout-Block-Party-lineup-is-here/

ILoveFestivals
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm going to buy tickets to Riot Fest Toronto, but only the 2nd Day. The 2nd day is unreal, but the 1st day is well...shit.
http://riotfest.jcrf9879.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Riot-Fest-Toronto-Lineup.jpg

ILoveFestivals
06-14-2013, 10:57 AM
NXNE has taken over Toronto for the week.
I saw Social Distortion play a free show last night at Yonge and Dundas Square. Tonight they have the National performing at Yonge and Dundas, so I have to check that out!

Lew
06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
going to osheaga this summer. pretty excited and sort of nervous. i have never been to a multi day music festival. not overly thrilled at the headliners, but not crying over it either. very looking forward to seeing some of the smaller acts, though.

richardp
06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
going to osheaga this summer. pretty excited and sort of nervous. i have never been to a multi day music festival. not overly thrilled at the headliners, but not crying over it either. very looking forward to seeing some of the smaller acts, though.

Festivals are better if you're not 100% on the headliners. Just enjoy your time and see bands that you normally wouldn't see.

jarj
06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Just got back from Glastonbury. It is unbelievable.

Blackbookpress1984
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Ok, so I have never been a huge festival person, but this year, I somehow am able to work a lot of Chicago festivals. I do like 4 to 5 hours of work, I get in for the rest of the day for free, so I'm asking for help on acts I should not miss while I am there. I'm know I am going to the following: Lollapalooza Friday (bought tickets for this) lollapalloza (working Saturday & Sunday) Pitchfork (working Saturday July 20th) North coast (working sunday 9/1) let me know your thoughts!! thanks!!

Kodiak33
07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Here's my schedule...Friday night has a ton of conflicts that I need to figure out. If I go to see NIN, I may have to go by myself.
http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/user/465089/schedule/2013/08/02/

Kodiak33
07-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Got my wristbands today, so they should be coming for Lollapalooza.

thefragile_jake
07-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Ok, so I have never been a huge festival person, but this year, I somehow am able to work a lot of Chicago festivals. I do like 4 to 5 hours of work, I get in for the rest of the day for free, so I'm asking for help on acts I should not miss while I am there. I'm know I am going to the following: Lollapalooza Friday (bought tickets for this) lollapalloza (working Saturday & Sunday) Pitchfork (working Saturday July 20th) North coast (working sunday 9/1) let me know your thoughts!! thanks!!

You're only working Saturday for Pitchfork? Stay by the blue stage for a majority of the day so you can check out Parquet Courts, Merchandise and a little bit of METZ before Swans starts over at the red stage. I have yet to see Swans but I love them and I can't wait.

The only other two things I'm extremely excited about on Saturday are the Breeders and Belle and Sebastian so don't miss out on those as well!

Kid Charlemagne
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Parquet Courts, Merch and METZ all on the same stage? My body would be beat to hell before Swans would start.

Fun Fun Fun Fest should be releasing their lineup this week, so far we got Flag, Ice T, Walkmen, and Judge. I can't wait to see how they top last years.

thefragile_jake
07-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Parquet Courts, Merch and METZ all on the same stage? My body would be beat to hell before Swans would start.

Fun Fun Fun Fest should be releasing their lineup this week, so far we got Flag, Ice T, Walkmen, and Judge. I can't wait to see how they top last years.

I know right? Haha. Sadly, METZ starts fifteen minutes before Swans does over on the other side of the festival grounds. PC, Merch and METZ are all on the smaller blue stage which is about I'd say a two minute walk next to the two main stage areas (red and blue) so I'll have to cut my METZ time short to go over and check out Swans.

I'm interested to see what Fun Fun Fun Fest has this year as well, you think you'll be going? If I had more vacation time this year with work, I'd really consider going down there. This girl I've been seeing recently became a flight attendant and I've been trying to get a free flight deal out of her....so I'd completely love to use it for that.

Kid Charlemagne
07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I know right? Haha. Sadly, METZ starts fifteen minutes before Swans does over on the other side of the festival grounds. PC, Merch and METZ are all on the smaller blue stage which is about I'd say a two minute walk next to the two main stage areas (red and blue) so I'll have to cut my METZ time short to go over and check out Swans.

I'm interested to see what Fun Fun Fun Fest has this year as well, you think you'll be going? If I had more vacation time this year with work, I'd really consider going down there. This girl I've been seeing recently became a flight attendant and I've been trying to get a free flight deal out of her....so I'd completely love to use it for that.

FFF is a go for me. I'm trying to do both ACL weekends, but with the new job I'll be starting, I'm not sure how much time I can have off in October, rather than November for FFF. If you end up going, I got you covered for a place to crash. FFF is set up similarly like Pitchfork with three stages (it also has a small comedy tent that features smaller acts like BMSR, Trail of Dead, Titus Andronicus, Atlas Sound), they're coated by Black for punk and metal, Blue for hip hop and dance, and Orange for Indie/Alt. The Orange stage features the bigger headliners (last year it hosted Run DMC, Girl Talk, and Edward Sharpe). It's a cool fest to go to, everyone has a good time, and it's not too hot like ACL is. One year I met Wayne Coyne, Ryan Gosling, and Ted Leo all in the same night.

thefragile_jake
07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
FFF is a go for me. I'm trying to do both ACL weekends, but with the new job I'll be starting, I'm not sure how much time I can have off in October, rather than November for FFF. If you end up going, I got you covered for a place to crash. FFF is set up similarly like Pitchfork with three stages (it also has a small comedy tent that features smaller acts like BMSR, Trail of Dead, Titus Andronicus, Atlas Sound), they're coated by Black for punk and metal, Blue for hip hop and dance, and Orange for Indie/Alt. The Orange stage features the bigger headliners (last year it hosted Run DMC, Girl Talk, and Edward Sharpe). It's a cool fest to go to, everyone has a good time, and it's not too hot like ACL is. One year I met Wayne Coyne, Ryan Gosling, and Ted Leo all in the same night.

Dude, that would be fantastic...I'll let you know if I plan on hitting it up. I remember watching some of the webcast in 2011 and it just seemed really cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lineup now for sure, I think I heard a rumor of Deerhunter playing there so we'll have to see!

Kid Charlemagne
07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Dude, that would be fantastic...I'll let you know if I plan on hitting it up. I remember watching some of the webcast in 2011 and it just seemed really cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lineup now for sure, I think I heard a rumor of Deerhunter playing there so we'll have to see!

Yes sir, Deerhunter will be there. I'm thinking so will Yeah Yeah Yeahs since they're headlining FYF in Los Angeles which is their sister festival.

richardp
07-07-2013, 08:38 PM
One year I met Wayne Coyne, Ryan Gosling, and Ted Leo all in the same night.

That's cool and all buuuuut last year at Lolla I high five'd Tim Meadows before ATDI and then stood next to:
THIS DUDE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il-gKZyMJ-Q)
from that awesome 90s teen party comedy Can't Hardly Wait during Bloc Party. Some drunk kid puked next to him and he thought it was the funniest shit and was like patting his back the whole time screaming "GET IT OUT MAN GET IT OUUUUUUT" while laughing hysterically.

Kid Charlemagne
07-07-2013, 08:50 PM
That's cool and all buuuuut last year at Lolla I high five'd Tim Meadows before ATDI and then stood next to:
THIS DUDE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il-gKZyMJ-Q)
from that awesome 90s teen party comedy Can't Hardly Wait during Bloc Party. Some drunk kid puked next to him and he thought it was the funniest shit and was like patting his back the whole time screaming "GET IT OUT MAN GET IT OUUUUUUT" while laughing hysterically.

Imagining Tim Meadows wanting to hear deep cuts from Relationship of Command is amazing. Meeting someone from the 1999 underrated Jennifer Love Hewitt vehicle "Can't Hardly Wait"...AWESOME.

Lew
07-23-2013, 10:53 AM
i am fucking almost suicidally bummed...it looks likely i am going to have to miss osheaga. a) never been to this kind of music festival b) what with being mom i don't go anywhere or do anything, anyway. :'(
health reasons, or what i am calling excema apocalypse 2013, look like they are not going to be resolved enough to make it.
fuck fuck fuck. seriously?????????????? i can't believe this is happening. bad enough i have been barely been able to use my hands for 2 months now (i can use my fingertips but cannot do any type of sustained grip...oh beavis and butthead could have fun with that info!), bad enough that i didn't even look like myself for over a month, couldn't eat for almost 2 weeks and my arms/hands/neck and face feel like they are burned ALL DAMN DAY ...but to lose out on this trip and festival. fuck fuck fuck.

Lew
08-13-2013, 02:07 PM
ha. so despite excemaocalypse 2013 i DID make it to osheaga.
it was fucking A W E S O M E.
friday was a happy spot making show by "a tribe called red". never heard them before and was, frankly, a little surprised i wanted to see someone playing the techno stage but HOLY FUCKING CRACK IN MY ARSE was that electric.
saturday was a happy spot making performance by imagine dragons. yep. i am still in shock with how fucking vivid the set was. the crowd and the band were in synch and on fire. really glad i did not forgo this set. i like a few of their singles on the edge, but i just wanted to see 'radioactive' because my eldest son loves the song. good call, kid. i also happened to be rocking out with a friend in the crowd and that just made the happy spot happier.
sunday. oh sunday. HOLLERADO. i need a fifty foot font for this. H O L L E R A D O, who were my main reason for going (once it became clear nin was not going to be showing up...) put on a fucking epic little set. they played my fave stage (the tree stage). they came on 15 minutes early. they had some really fucked up sound issues. and they still put on a show that is still making my blood cells jingle jangle. god DAMN. good god damn, at that. i have a new fave band.
shout outs to: hyphen hyphen, tricky, mumford and sons and this high octane quebec band called "we are wolves". i had my first, and likely only, rail position at a show for "we are wolves". apologies to the band for my falling over laughing whenever the guitarist got down on the ground to play. i guess i am too old to find that anything but hilarious. still, i am betting some of you on here would love this band. i couldn't understand them in french or in english, but great live act.
so yeah. my first three day festival. i survived shredding my hands by clapping too much, and i survived being away from my kids for the first time in their lives.
i swear it is so hard to get back to "normal" life after an epic show(s). all i want to do is play youtube footage of where i was so i can recapture how alive i felt.
:) woop woop.

ILoveFestivals
08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
So Riot Fest Toronto is 3 and half days away. 2 and half if you count Saturday. That means the Replacements first show in 22 years is 3 and a half days away!!!

draven
08-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Soundwave 2014 (first lineup announcement) just posted.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/542206_10152050217462262_1561300334_n.jpg

voidnz
08-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Awesome linup, i'm there.

AJ ruled out NIN. Said they're up their own arse. Probably due to the stage show demands.

jessamineny
08-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Went to Riot Fest yesterday in Toronto. Hole-ee-shit was it unreal and amazing to see The Replacements again, and from right-center rail. It's been so long, I'm not sure when was the last time I saw them. It might have been a show in a little auditorium when Paul was so wasted that they brought out a stool for him to sit on, but even that wasn't enough. He played the last song-and-a-half flat on his back, and they finally had to abort the show halfway through. Heh.

In any case, what a difference 20-however-many-years makes. Paul totally forgot *so* many lyrics to songs -- but this time for charming and funny reasons. Fun seeing Freese again (instead of drumsticks, he threw the crowd his shoes after the show hahaha). During "Bastards of Young" (last song of the main set) it started sprinkling -- seemed like such an emo way to end an absolutely surreal fucking night.

Iggy played right before. He came down several times to the rail directly in front of me. :::swoon::: A few songs into the set, he invited people on stage to dance (of course), and we got slaughtered on the rail. Besides a setlist, my souvenir for the night: bruised boobs. Oh, Iggy. :P

botley
08-26-2013, 10:02 PM
I was there! I wore my ETS shirt! One dude recognized it too, was that someone in your party?

jessamineny
08-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I was there! I wore my ETS shirt! One dude recognized it too, was that someone in your party?

Nope. Went all by my lonesome. But wasn't lonely. :)

Dra508
01-06-2014, 07:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/a7unyga9.jpg

Kodiak33
01-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Is that confirmed?

Dra508
01-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Is that confirmed?

No, it's a fake. Someone does this every year. I don't know exactly, but maybe less than half are accurate.

Dra508
01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/hy5eseme.jpg

The real one

cicatriz
02-06-2014, 09:40 PM
bonnaroo is gonna have a killer line-up come the 19th, you just wait and see

elton john + kanye

richardp
02-21-2014, 03:29 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/as/pitchfork-festival-2014.jpg

Usually I feel fairly lukewarm about Pitchfork's lineups, but this year's is outstanding. I couldn't help but buy tickets. Gonna be my first time going to Pitchfork.

kel
02-24-2014, 07:11 PM
gets better every year.

http://apesontape.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/treefort-lineup-2014.jpg

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Just bought my tickets for Tomorrowworld!! Cannot wait to see what this festival has in store :D

theimage13
02-25-2014, 06:36 AM
coachella lineup

The real one

Arcade Fire are the headliners...ahead of Beck?

Coachella, you pretty much just lost any respect I had for you.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Holy Hell

http://www.dubera.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Hudson-Project-452x700.jpg

UnjollyIrishman
04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
http://sonisphere.co.uk/line-up-poster/
I wish I could got to Sonisphere Knebworth this year, as it looks like a pretty good line-up. Friday is decent (Other than Shit Bizkit), and Saturday and Sunday look great, and it would be a tough choice between Slayer and Maiden.

neveroddoreven
07-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Great news!!! (http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2014/07/23/moogfest-return/13054091/) Moogfest returns to Asheville in 2016...

Deepvoid
02-11-2015, 12:22 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10649854_783765644992749_3005135895406298717_n.jpg ?oh=00cef821b30e599fed7860049d898dd7&oe=554AB461

fortysixand2
02-11-2015, 04:16 PM
The fuck is System of a Down doing headlining festivals?

Deepvoid
02-11-2015, 06:23 PM
They drew a pretty big crowd 2 years ago at Heavy MTL. They'll do fine at the Rockfest.
Can't wait to see Ministry for the first time

ManBurning
02-11-2015, 11:49 PM
That looks like a damn sweet festival to be held in Canada... *tempting*... *tempting*... need to save money... have limited vacation... to Wait and gamble with this years Pemberton festival or scrap it and attend this... hmmm...

EDIT: I *JUST* noticed the fine print beside The Offspring, Rancid and Deftones showing the are preforming some of their classic albums in full. That almost makes it worth it alone for that. "And Out come the wolves" is Rancid's best album! Americana's not so bad either. I'd rather hear Smash in full by the Offspring, but i'd live with Americana, have a lot of fond memories with that album as a teenager.

EDIT 2: The price scale is hilarious. It starts out with just a regular general admission pass for $135 and then goes all the way up to this for $4068:

VIP Weekend Pass - Ultra Mega Ultimate Package Includes (for 2 people): Access to all the outdoor shows (over 100 shows!) • Access to all showcase nights at intimate venues • Priority access to the official after party • Priority access to the secret shows • A spot in the new Front Stage area of the main stage. You will be close to the stage and have some space to move! • Private bar • Private restroom • Private tent (shade!) • Access to the Backstage area to hang out with our awesome team and check out what goes on behind the scenes of a rock festival! • Access to the Ultimate VIP Zone to watch some of the shows on the side of the stages for a very up-close and personal experience!** • 3 nights stay at the artist hotel, located in the backstage area (check-in June 18th, check-out June 21st) • 4 meals for 2 people in the backstage catering area (lunch and dinner on June 19th and 20th) • Access to the artist boat rides on the Ottawa River • Privilege of being able to brag because you are extremely way too much cooler than your friends! * This package does not include access to dressing rooms, tents or stages. * This package does not ensure meet & greet with bands. * It is strictly prohibited to solicit artists, obstruct the work of the technical staff and the security staff. * The festival reserves the right to revoke these privileges and expel without a refund anyone who doesn't follow the rules. ** Every artist decides whether or not they allow people on stage, so we cannot promise any guarantees

$4000. for a festival pass... haha, wow.

SuperNINtendo Chalmers
02-12-2015, 01:05 AM
That looks like a damn sweet festival to be held in Canada... *tempting*... *tempting*... need to save money... have limited vacation... to Wait and gamble with this years Pemberton festival or scrap it and attend this... hmmm...

Heh heh, was kinda thinking the same thing, but replace Pemberton with Wrestlemania. I don't foresee great things on the festival forecast this year tho (unless you're into a lot of mainstream DJs and hip hop); not like NIN's touring or anything. Hmmmm indeed...

ManBurning
02-12-2015, 01:15 AM
Heh heh, was kinda thinking the same thing, but replace Pemberton with Wrestlemania. I don't foresee great things on the festival forecast this year tho (unless you're into a lot of mainstream DJs and hip hop); not like NIN's touring or anything. Hmmmm indeed...

Agreed, so far I am not at all impressed with any of the "major" summer festival lineups. This comes the closest to suit my taste in music. Unless Pemberton miraculously pulls TOOL out of thin air, I think it's safe to say this Festival wins the Summer.

fillow
04-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Just bought my ticket to Primavera 2015

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/103081453/Primavera+Sound+Barcelona+2015+Primavera+sound+pos ter+2015.png

Dra508
04-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Did both weekend at Coachella.. Saw and my opinion
Kiesza - best costume
War On Drugs
Marques West
Interpol
Tame Impala
AC/DC
Royal Blood - twice. They won Coachella IMHO
Cashmere Cat
Run The Jewels - literally didn't see any of the stunt guests like Madonna and Beyoncé. These guys win for the best guesting with Zack from ROTM.
Kasabian - twice
Jack White
Panda Bear
Sturgill Simpson
St. Lucia
St. Vincent
Fitz and The Tantrums
Gesaffelstein
Sylvan Esso
Kimbra
Ride
Alabama Shakes
Steely Dan
Flying Lotus
Toro y Moi
Chet Faker
alt-J - best lights though others will say Tame Impala
FKA Twigs
Desaparecidos
Martin Solveig
Philip Selway
Jamie xx - actually mixes
ODESZA

Dra508
06-04-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm becoming rather redundant, but I just can't say no to my brother.We're just got tickets to Coachella 2016, 10 months in advance. Least painful purchasing experience with Frontgate ever - wait time and purchase totaled 30 minutes.