PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails - 2014 Tour Discussion/Speculation

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

tricil
02-28-2014, 07:12 AM
No march of the pigs and no wish

laci
02-28-2014, 07:22 AM
When was the last time they did not play MotP and Wish?

sick among the pure
02-28-2014, 07:39 AM
It does seem weird that Trent specifically mentioned The Fragile as being an album he's be visiting a lot in the setlists this year, but they've only played "one" song off TF, once. Either planning something big, or it didn't turn out the way he wanted it to (it didn't turn out quite the way that he wanted it).

slave2thewage
02-28-2014, 07:47 AM
That setlist is kinda making me hard.

Javra
02-28-2014, 08:03 AM
The Great Destroyer \o/

I'm actually wondering ? would you mind going to a NIN gig without MOTP / Wish (I just don't understand if people are saying they would miss those songs or are just surprised that they didn't play them).

Throw in this one a few Fragile songs to get it to 24/25 songs and it's perfect :)

Christopher Morris
02-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Pretty good setlist for night three too. Did Ilan actually sit at his kit during night three? ;)

(I know, of course he did)

gorast
02-28-2014, 08:53 AM
I don't know why people keep singling out The Fragile, when we're only three shows into 2014. These shows really seemed like just a warm-up trio - "let's see what we can do as a quartet." I'm expecting bigger things from the NIN + Queens tour.

That said, that's a great setlist. Tons of YZ stuff.

jessamineny
02-28-2014, 08:58 AM
I don't know why people keep comparing the shows in Japan to "warm up" shows. I would find that offensive if I lived there. And, from what I can tell, Japanese audiences are one of TR's favorites, so I'd be shocked if he had that attitude toward the performances.

r_k_f
02-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Nice RITC just tweeted he received a recording from night 1 and Alessandro's full set...

OchoBits
02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Please, please The Great Destroyer (Screaming Slave), pleaaaaase.

r_k_f
02-28-2014, 10:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-7vPsa6aY&list=UUIHqAz5bwEbHg3fUePd4jUQ&feature=c4-overview 518MT continues to come thru..

FernandoDante
02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm avoiding looking at the actual setlists, but could someone provide an estimate of how many different songs they played across these 3 shows?

ryanmcfly
02-28-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm avoiding looking at the actual setlists, but could someone provide an estimate of how many different songs they played across these 3 shows?

35 I think.

m15a
02-28-2014, 11:18 AM
It does seem weird that Trent specifically mentioned The Fragile as being an album he's be visiting a lot in the setlists this year, but they've only played "one" song off TF, once. Either planning something big, or it didn't turn out the way he wanted it to (it didn't turn out quite the way that he wanted it).

"something big" was the first thing i thought seeing this last setlist, too, but really it could just be something medium but just in early stages of development for later in the year. like, maybe Trent is planning out the Europe tour now so that is on his mind now, whereas the earlier shows were already planned rehearsed.

hooo nose . . .

Deepvoid
02-28-2014, 11:21 AM
I think the only reason why there was no MotP and Wish for the 3rd night is the fact that you can take out those songs when you play the same venue 3 nights in a row. Smart move.

icecream
02-28-2014, 11:34 AM
When was the last time they did not play MotP and Wish?
I can only think of the Austin City Limits show, but that doesn't really count.

Kyle
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
I think the only reason why there was no MotP and Wish for the 3rd night is the fact that you can take out those songs when you play the same venue 3 nights in a row. Smart move.

That's never stopped him before with those songs.

ManBurning
02-28-2014, 12:06 PM
I like night 3 the best! It was a mix of night 1 and night 2 with a few added sprinkles on top. So glad to see the return of The Great Destroyer!

slave2thewage
02-28-2014, 12:19 PM
The second Glasgow show in 2007 had no MotP and POSSIBLY one of the Wave Goodbye shows? I think Wish was previously played at every show though.

icecream
02-28-2014, 02:11 PM
The second Glasgow show in 2007 had no MotP and POSSIBLY one of the Wave Goodbye shows? I think Wish was previously played at every show though.
If I remember correctly, there was a Vegas show with no MotP, but it still had Wish.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Out of 20 songs, only four predate With Teeth. So basically this is designed to piss off anybody who hates everything he’s done since 1999. ;)

Volband
02-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Ooookay, 3 shows done, time to get (physical) critical.

The setlists from my subjective standpoint: It's OK, I guess. Wave Goodbye was pretty crazy, so a standardish setlist would be new for me, plus throw in some YZ stuff and there we go, probably half of the songs I'd see would be new ones. Still, I'm sad Disappointed is a go-to track from HM, and the lack of TF songs sadden me. I'd be fine with night 3's setlist though. TGD \o/

The setlists from my objective standpoint: Well, no Wish and MOTP could only mean some good stuff for the future dates, YZ is there after a long time, and we'll probably see MYM and Capital G too eventually. The lack of variety in the HM song selection is my main concern here, it'd be a pity if all the dates would get FMW/CBH/Copy of a/Disappointed +1. People should get the chance to have more variety from the new stuff. Again, if things we'll look like night 3, then everyone would get something cool, while Trent playing it rather safe.

The setlits from my godknowswhat-tive standpoint considering Trent's promises: LOL. I love how some say it's a warm-up tour. Sure, Trent and co. warms up at the very end of February, and 6 days later they will blast out tons of new songs. No way. Also, why would he need warm-up? The vast majority of the songs played have been played during the festival leg or Tension (or both); I doubt BYIT, Vessel and 31 Ghosts needed 3 days of warm-up. And don't even start with the "poor NIN, they probably did not have time to rehearse", when the started it after Tension, and it was an interview in FEBRUARY when Trent said this tour will be a blast with tons of TF stuff. Yeyeyeye, we could make up excuses fo him all day long, like he meant the other leg of the tour, or when he said this tour will be heavier, he meant the band members will gain weight, etc., but snap out of it. I don't doubt that the Fragile songs will eventually come (well, on second thought, I actually do), but something must be terribly wrong if that's all they could/wanted to squeeze out of TF. And where is the stuff they can finally do, being a 4-piece band? They returned The Becoming, that's cool, especially if it's not the still version they used to do, but it's really not much. Would it cause physical pain for Trent to just simply say "there'll be a lot of stuff from YZ" and end the sentence there? Because it's not heavy, and at night 3 there were more stuff from The Slip, than from TF. Like wtf.

There'll be more songs for sure, when they won't be limited by time (except when they'll lose the coinflip to QOTSA haha, man, I'd be so fucking mad then. wait, nevermind, our show got cancelled, so yeah.), but if Trent wanted to play/try out something really badly, he could. A random AATCHB or Love Is Not Enough might surface eventually for a show or two, but overall it's like Perf. 2007 but worse. We could always come up with something though. Now it's wait for the QOTSa tour, then it will be wait for the European tour, then it will be wait for the NA tour (which will be announced by then I guess), and then another year passed, while the wildest NIN-shit was the return of BYIT.

I like the involvment of MQ, and here I don't care that Trent went against his word. It gives me a fuzzy feeling that he can do a NIN show with his wife, and hell, if we won't get what we were promised (once again), at least throw in stuff like this. I guess playing HTDA songs is easier, than rehearsing some NIN songs, lol. I hope she'll sing on a NIN song as well. As fucking awesome and sexy it would be, I'm pretty convinced that Trent wouldn't drag her out for stuff like Sin/Deep/GDML (maybe ATL, it's HTDA-ish), because they could come off as jackasses in some people eyes (and they sing these songs at home anyway :D), but how fucking cool would it be to hear them on WITT or in LITS. These are the songs I could think of where it could work.

And yes yes, I should be grateful he even tours, and I want too much, and who cares what he promised, yesyes, save these please.

icklekitty
02-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Trent's promises: LOL.

Now that is going on a t-shirt.

BRoswell
02-28-2014, 04:39 PM
I think it's funny that Trent says something and he has to immediately deliver it on the first tour date lest he be called, in a roundabout way, a liar. We're THREE SHOWS into a set of tours that's probably going to last until the end of the year. Some of you need to cool your tits.

Also, you guys need to learn that your ideas and Trent's ideas may not be the same thing. People read that he was going to play more stuff from Year Zero and The Fragile and seemed to flip their shit over it. Did you ever stop to think that maybe he meant he was going to play more stuff from those albums OVERALL and not every single night? Besides, given how the setlists have varied just on these three dates, I don't see why people feel so betrayed.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-28-2014, 04:46 PM

* * * * ˝
Needs more words.

:p

WorzelG
02-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Volband sorry I can't quote as the wall of text would be too annoying. It's not the setlist that bothers me so much as the production. I wish they would do something slightly less extravagant in the US and take it internationally, as with YouTube it feels like this amazing footage like Tension or LITS is in your face but then it's oh sorry rest of world, here's some white strobe lights!

I'm just bitter because we didn't even get the festival production in mainland UK!

Volband
02-28-2014, 05:32 PM
I don't want to comment on the production just yet. Haven't seen footage of all the songs (I'm really curious about TGD), and that might change with the venue.

If we don't get shit though, then fuck me for not being an American I guess, but let's just wait with that for a bit.

FernandoDante
02-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I like the involvment of MQ, and here I don't care that Trent went against his word.

Wait, I'm curious about this. Did he ever promise Mariqueen would never go onstage with NIN?

TheBang
02-28-2014, 06:44 PM
So I was procrastinating had some extra time today, and looked at all the setlists since 1994, when MotP was first played. Austin City Limits and last night's show were the only two full shows ever where both MotP and Wish were not played.

sick among the pure
02-28-2014, 07:28 PM
why would he need warm-up? The vast majority of the songs played have been played during the festival leg or Tension (or both)

Not disagreeing with the over all message behind your post, just want to point out that while these songs have been played last year, the band setup was COMPLETELY different. I mean, really, we now have a drummer playing guitar. Don't act like this is the same band setup as it has been.

Also, I second the idea of "Trent promises: LOL" shirts.

Kyle
02-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Also, I second the idea of "Trent promises: LOL" shirts.

The back of the shirt will just say "soon"

billpulsipher
02-28-2014, 10:55 PM
If he plays all YZ and Slip songs during the festivals in Europe, the shows are going to go down like an anchor in the fucking ocean....

sheepdean
02-28-2014, 11:15 PM
If he plays all YZ and Slip songs during the festivals in Europe, the shows are going to go down like an anchor in the fucking ocean....
So, very useful for their purpose and widely accepted as an essential?

m15a
03-01-2014, 12:18 AM
The back of the shirt will just say "soon"

that's actually not a bad idea for a shirt by itself, just "soon." in one of the well-known NIN font. (anyone done it before?) would make sense for the NIN hotline, actually.

Lerxto
03-01-2014, 01:25 AM
that's actually not a bad idea for a shirt by itself, just "soon." in one of the well-known NIN font. (anyone done it before?) would make sense for the NIN hotline, actually.
https://24.media.tumblr.com/c2d52171ada135951e4455e74e99bdb0/tumblr_n1r8q6hH2T1stnog7o1_1280.jpg
here's your prototype.

pukkelpop
03-01-2014, 03:14 AM
^^I wouldve give a million dollars for it if you didn't put the "god damn im cool" there . too bad

Cecil
03-01-2014, 03:42 AM
I can understand people being annoyed at the lack of TF material, because TR explicitly said that there would be a bit, but I don't get any complaints about not varying the setlist up enough. After 3 shows there have been 35 different songs performed. A lot of people are comparing it to the 2007/09 tours, but it's really not that different.

After 3 shows:
2007: 36 unique songs
2009: 31 unique songs
2014: 35 unique songs

Yeah, we are all big fans and would love every show to be different, but we are the minority in the audience. There will probably end up being 45-50 unique songs played for the tour and I'd say that's a pretty good amount.

icklekitty
03-01-2014, 06:00 AM

Sonisphere.

nooneimportant
03-01-2014, 08:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWKahsMc6b8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX2jVyFx42Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDS2uKHwpcw

It's not Tension production but the lights are still damn good. Also lol at The Great Destroyer mess up.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
billpulsipher … anchor … ocean.

:)

SM Rollinger
03-01-2014, 08:59 AM
I say this at the start of every tour...

There is only one deep cut that I want to hear live...

Happiness In Slavery

(and more obscure instrumentals too, like In Motion. Hand Covers Bruise is chilling though, and the transition into BYIT is awesome)

(although i shouldnt complain too much, i did get to hear my all time favorite instrumental live, A Warm Place. Prior to these film pieces and Tension 2013, the deepest of all NIN cuts!)

(well, except for maybe Kinda I Want To and Purest feeling :) )

BRoswell
03-01-2014, 09:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWKahsMc6b8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX2jVyFx42Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDS2uKHwpcw

It's not Tension production but the lights are still damn good. Also lol at The Great Destroyer mess up.

That breakdown was fantastic. Next to the Happiness In Slavery breakdown, that one would have to be my favorite.

sick among the pure
03-01-2014, 09:49 AM
"It's a remix!"
2014 catchphrase? Anyone?

Corona Radiata
03-02-2014, 02:38 AM
This guy has a lot of videos http://www.youtube.com/user/cocoao19/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Corona Radiata
03-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Holy shit that Robin solo on Ghosts 31 is the best thing ever.

Inkë
03-02-2014, 05:15 AM
The Great Destroyer is just MASSIVE. Best version i've ever heard.
And I'm so happy seeing Alessandro in front of the stage. He deserves it so much.

Javra
03-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Am I the only one being struck by how much of what we hear seems to be coming from Pro Tools / Tape on those videos ?

I'm well aware that on the electronic songs we can expect to have a buch of things on tape but the live challenge is also to produce a reinterpretation of the original sounds with the gear they have on their hands.
When half of the sounds seems to be coming unaltered from the tapes it feels weird to me, and even if the blip-blip produced live are cool (and trust me, I LOVE blips blips) it sometimes feels more like a "not so live version" then a "stripped down" version to me. (Especially on the HTDA songs)

(I know this has always been kind of true with NIN live but for some reasons it seems to be even more true on this tour)

With that said I also have to say this version of Burn is kind of amazing.

botley
03-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Am I the only one being struck by how much of what we hear seems to be coming from Pro Tools / Tape on those videos ?

I'm well aware that on the electronic songs we can expect to have a buch of things on tape but the live challenge is also to produce a reinterpretation of the original sounds with the gear they have on their hands.
When half of the sounds seems to be coming unaltered from the tapes it feels weird to me, and even if the blip-blip produced live are cool (and trust me, I LOVE blips blips) it sometimes feels more like a "not so live version" then a "stripped down" version to me. (Especially on the HTDA songs)

(I know this has always been kind of true with NIN live but for some reasons it seems to be even more true on this tour)
It's not tape or Pro Tools. Alessandro triggers individual elements from his Elektron rig: http://elektron.se/talk/744

Javra
03-02-2014, 09:25 PM
As much as I love Alessandro, his work and what he brings to the live version of NIN, I highly doubt he "triggers" much in the live perfomance (beside the drum pads)

For what I know having read a few articles and the explanations he gave on muffwiggler concerning his live rig :

A few audio parts are fed to his Octatrack he uses for live tweaking (not even sure if that is still the case on the current tour)
Keyboards are sometimes midi fed and tweaked live or live played (I guess on this tour he uses the OP1, Elektron Analog Keys, I think he got rid of his A4, not sure if the DSI is still here)
I think the Soundplane (midi controller) is also out (can't tell much from the recent videos)
The Tascan tapes are used to bring in / out some ambiance / drones
I'd bet the Verbos Eurorack Modular (That replaced the MakeNoise one for what I know) is synced to an "audio" clock (like the EAR modular was) and is responsible for the recurrent high pitch / glitchy sounds you can here coming up sometimes. (really typical of the Buchla-like sequencing / LPG)

Also in this tour with how much he has to do with the bass or additional guitars I'd guess he has less freedom to bring ambiances / drones in the songs.
Just as an example you can compare those two pics of the tapes he uses on a show (And I'd guess less tapes = less drones played live, more drones on the Pro Tools)
2013, 11 Tapes : http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/153039x868img14052jpgpagespeedicTW0bIcTv3.jpg
2014, 2 Tapes : http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/379a57be9ebc11e3be8712f881f9015c_8.jpg

sick among the pure
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Um, that first link... might wanna fix?

sheepdean
03-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Well we all know what Javra likes now

Javra
03-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I do LOVE blip blips.
Got a bit carried in my explanations but what I mainly wanted to say is that just by looking at the gear he has on stage you can kind of think they are more things on tape on this tour. And that from what I see they're isn't much getting "triggered", and less things getting "tweaked" on this tour.

(Didn't really get what / why I should fix a link, changed the first image link in case that was it ...)

Harry Seaward
03-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Can somebody explain why they use actual cassette tapes? It's 2014, what is this fuckery?

botley
03-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Can somebody explain why they use actual cassette tapes? It's 2014, what is this fuckery?
Pro musicians have never really stopped using cassettes to do rugged, portable multi-track recording and playback. They hold four discrete tracks of audio, at higher speeds they don't sound too bad, plus they're dirt fucking cheap.

As much as I love Alessandro, his work and what he brings to the live version of NIN, I highly doubt he "triggers" much in the live perfomance (beside the drum pads)
Poor choice of words on my part... the start of each song is cued offstage, and backing tracks are fed with it. That's why you can hear click tracks before the intro of some songs in the Studio Coast recordings on RITC. You're probably right that there are less on the TASCAM machine now, but the 2009 arrangements had a bunch of introductory sequencing cued by Trent's touch controller, which would then cut out after the count-in started and the backing took over.

Kyle
03-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Crap. Stop the show. Anybody have a pencil handy?

(and yes I know these are better cassettes than that, but it still made me laugh).

Harry Seaward
03-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Pro musicians have never really stopped using cassettes to do rugged, portable multi-track recording and playback. They hold four discrete tracks of audio, at higher speeds they don't sound too bad, plus they're dirt fucking cheap.

So it's just personal preference? Wouldn't a few flash drives with some FLAC be preferable? I doubt NIN is concerned with spending a few hundred on a bunch of high capacity digital media.

botley
03-02-2014, 11:05 PM
So it's just personal preference? Wouldn't a few flash drives with some FLAC be preferable? I doubt NIN is concerned with spending a few hundred on a bunch of high capacity digital media.
Yeah, but Ally obviously likes analogue better.

Kyle
03-02-2014, 11:07 PM
I do LOVE blip blips.
(Didn't really get what / why I should fix a link, changed the first image link in case that was it ...)

Yeah, having seen the original link I don't get it either. Only thing I could figure would be getting the wrong impression from the name of the URL.

Javra
03-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Well numeric is used by 99.9% of the pros when it comes to recording, portable setup or not.
I think here it comes down to their particular sound (depends heavily of the cassette and tape player) and the idea of having a constant flow of sound that you bring up or down compared to launching samples. Not sure if he also plays with the speeding/slowing effect you can get with a cassette.
I think it's a really cool and interesting approach like "okay I have 4 moving soundscapes per song that I can bring when I want they define my sound palette but I can mix and alter them as I want and I can't be 100% sure of how they're going to sound when I bring them up"

Also aly mentionned that he got the idea while playing with hurt having 1 chord on each track and bringing them up / down instead of playing them on a standart keyboard

botley You mean like in the WG version of Burn ? (Or the Echoplex version of LITS) or more like a drone that would cut at the start of the song ?

botley
03-02-2014, 11:24 PM
"Burn" and "Echoplex", yes, also the early (pre-WG) 2009 versions of "Terrible Lie" and "1,000,000" that started with Trent sequencing loops.

It is pretty brilliant to have a four-track machine onstage and mix those four channels in and out to get a playable tactile feel from pre-recorded drones. IIRC that's how Pink Floyd did the introduction to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" using wine glass drones in the studio.

Javra
03-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Oh right I see (Mr Self Destruct in the WG shows also then). Even if that's cool it feels much more like an intro then anything to me.
Yeah I think it's a really interesting approach, he might also use it for pads or more melodic things on some songs.
The choice of hardware tapes might also be related to the whole "limitation and concrete instruments leads to creativity" approach

Ryan
03-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Check the Sydney, Australia threads in upcoming shows. I have 2 spare tickets for the first one and 1 spare ticket for the second one.

sheepdean
03-03-2014, 12:18 AM
I mean, pre-recording all instruments and just laying down the vocals live (through a tuner) would sound even better. Sometimes purity isn't the best approach.

sick among the pure
03-03-2014, 03:58 AM
Yeah, having seen the original link I don't get it either. Only thing I could figure would be getting the wrong impression from the name of the URL.

Before you fixed it, the link re-directed to a NSFW image.

Javra
03-03-2014, 06:03 AM
Doubt it actually did. (Checked a few times)
Is it just that the image comes from a synth forum that you could consider has a kinda NSFWish name ?

Kyle
03-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Before you fixed it, the link re-directed to a NSFW image.

I clicked it before he fixed it. Since I'm getting email notifications of posts to this topic since I subscribed to it, I still had the email with the original post and clicked the link from there and saw nothing dirty.

I feel ripped off. :(

Javra
03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, some might find those sweet tapes pretty hot :)

sheepdean
03-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Doubt it actually did. (Checked a few times)
Is it just that the image comes from a synth forum that you could consider has a kinda NSFWish name ?
It was an image of what appeared to be a pregnant woman's breasts. And this is spiralling off topic.

sick among the pure
03-03-2014, 11:18 AM
I clicked it before he fixed it. Since I'm getting email notifications of posts to this topic since I subscribed to it, I still had the email with the original post and clicked the link from there and saw nothing dirty.

I feel ripped off. :(

Idk why I got a "redirect" warning on chrome, followed by the link redirecting to a chick popping out of her bra (as mentioned by sheepdan)... wtf internet?

Anyway, I don't know shit about the tech side of a live NIN show (tapes, loops, stuff, things, Anything Ally touches ever on stage) so I wish I could contribute more to the convo, but I'm learning a lot, so that's cool.

I just wish they'd play his remix of The Great Destroyer. I mean, I am SO HAPPY they're playing that song again, and hope it stays in rotation enough that when they come back to the states I have a chance to finally see it.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Judging by Alessandro’s retweet of this (https://twitter.com/muffwiggler/status/440539938384535552), we can conclude that muffwiggler.com is indeed legit.

Oh well, it sounded promising there for a moment.

fillow
03-04-2014, 06:48 AM
I don't like that they still have Ilan playing piano in MOTP ('doesn't it make you feel better' part), despite Ally being back in the band.
This song fucking needs that drum hit right before TR says 'Doesn't...', and now (and ever since 2009) it's not there since Ilan is running to the keyboard.

That other guy
03-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Yes , i'm greedy , but wake me when US tour is announced , i'm guessing should be soon..

WorzelG
03-05-2014, 12:10 PM
So I think I'm doomed never to see a proper elaborate NIN show

http://thequietus.com/articles/14651-nin-nine-inch-nails-tour-interview-trent-reznor-grammys

simonn
03-05-2014, 12:55 PM

http://thequietus.com/articles/14651-nin-nine-inch-nails-tour-interview-trent-reznor-grammys

Totally ready for the facepalms here - but to be honest, I feel slightly conned - I invited friends along to this on the basis of 'look at this amazing show that NIN put on', referencing both Tension and LITS, and on the back of TR himself saying they'd be coming over with 'all the trimmings' on Zane Lowe's show, just before tickets went on sale (I think that was the timing anyway, certainly before and not after we bought tickets. Coincidence? I think not).

Don't get me wrong, I will undoubtedly still have the time of my life, but I now feel like I've kind of conned two friends into going on the basis of 'most elaborate show you'll ever see' - they're fans, but not 'sit on ETS for two hours a day' types...and to be honest, all three of us really wanted to experience something that ticked both musical and visual boxes. Leaves a slightly sour taste.

WorzelG
03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Totally ready for the facepalms here - but to be honest, I feel slightly conned - I invited friends along to this on the basis of 'look at this amazing show that NIN put on', referencing both Tension and LITS, and on the back of TR himself saying they'd be coming over with 'all the trimmings' on Zane Lowe's show, just before tickets went on sale (I think that was the timing anyway, certainly before and not after we bought tickets. Coincidence? I think not).

Don't get me wrong, I will undoubtedly still have the time of my life, but I now feel like I've kind of conned two friends into going on the basis of 'most elaborate show you'll ever see' - they're fans, but not 'sit on ETS for two hours a day' types...and to be honest, all three of us really wanted to experience something that ticked both musical and visual boxes. Leaves a slightly sour taste.
I feel the same. Trent's promises - lol. And they spent an entire month arseing about for that pointless Grammys performance. What a waste

BRoswell
03-05-2014, 01:41 PM

I'm prepared for the facepalms here as well, but...this IS your fault. You promised your friends something that you didn't actually KNOW you were going to get (Trent saying "all the trimmings" didn't mean full Tension production). You might have done a bit more research as well, since both Lights In The Sky and Tension productions never left the Americas and the shows in Europe are usually more stripped down in terms of production. Not trying to be an asshole about it, but blaming Trent is kind of silly.

FernandoDante
03-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I kinda wonder if the Japan production is the same thing they'll bring down to South America. To tens of thousands of people at a time. On festivals. Which are broadcast to the world then uploaded to YouTube.

It reminds me of how they originally planned to "wing it" on the first reunion shows until they heard they were headlining the same festivals as the likes of Beyoncé, and "Beyoncé's not gonna wing it", so they came up with that really really awesome festival production. Not LITS-level, but still blowing every other act out of the water.

If they bring that exact same festival production to South America, I'll be very happy. I don't care if it's a repeat, it looked great and provided some setlist variety.

WorzelG
03-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm prepared for the facepalms here as well, but...this IS your fault. You promised your friends something that you didn't actually KNOW you were going to get (Trent saying "all the trimmings" didn't mean full Tension production). You might have done a bit more research as well, since both Lights In The Sky and Tension productions never left the Americas and the shows in Europe are usually more stripped down in terms of production. Not trying to be an asshole about it, but blaming Trent is kind of silly.
So what you're saying is we've been disappointed internationally so many times that we should just be used to it.

WorzelG
03-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I kinda wonder if the Japan production is the same thing they'll bring down to South America. To tens of thousands of people at a time. On festivals. Which are broadcast to the world then uploaded to YouTube.

It reminds me of how they originally planned to "wing it" on the first reunion shows until they heard they were headlining the same festivals as the likes of Beyoncé, and "Beyoncé's not gonna wing it", so they came up with that really really awesome festival production. Not LITS-level, but still blowing every other act out of the water.

If they bring that exact same festival production to South America, I'll be very happy. I don't care if it's a repeat, it looked great and provided some setlist variety.
If they brought something of the festival production level to the UK I'd be very happy too. It doesn't have to be Tension or the 8 piece band, just something a bit special and not just white strobe lights that were actively irritating like in 2009, especially as they are playing arenas where a load of people will have crap views and not be able to see the band playing. (I'm just relieved that I got presale tickets so I'm close to the stage)

BRoswell
03-05-2014, 01:55 PM
So what you're saying is we've been disappointed internationally so many times that we should just be used to it.

Yes. Sorry if that's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's the truth. Trent has never (to my knowledge) brought full production over to Europe on the tours that had full production, so why would you expect it? Because Trent makes some vague comment that boils down to the same thing that all bands say when they're embarking on a tour ("We're bringing it! Fuck yeah!")? You can be mad that he doesn't EVER bring it over, but to be mad about something he never promised in the first place is a bit ridiculous.

WorzelG
03-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Yes. Sorry if that's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's the truth. Trent has never (to my knowledge) brought full production over to Europe on the tours that had full production, so why would you expect it? Because Trent makes some vague comment that boils down to the same thing that all bands say when they're embarking on a tour ("We're bringing it! Fuck yeah!")?
I'm a hope springs eternal kind of person, I don't go around in life expecting to be disappointed which is probably really weird considering my music taste. I'm very glass half full

BRoswell
03-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm a hope springs eternal kind of person, I don't go around in life expecting to be disappointed which is probably really weird considering my music taste. I'm very glass half full

There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't blame him for not delivering what he never promised to deliver in the first place.

simonn
03-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Disagree. Whatever history there was with European (and other territories) getting less than USA - understandably, I admit, due to the cost of carting that show around, the fact that he made a point of saying that, mid-Tension, suggested that was exactly what we were getting. What else could it have meant?!

BRoswell
03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Disagree. Whatever history there was with European (and other territories) getting less than USA - understandably, I admit, due to the cost of carting that show around, the fact that he made a point of saying that, mid-Tension, suggested that was exactly what we were getting. What else could it have meant?!

Like I said, Trent's remark is basically the same thing that every band says before a tour that's being promoted. Unless he said "We're bringing the production over to the UK", I wouldn't have expected it. Trent's reputation on that subject supersedes any vague comments he might make.

sheepdean
03-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Honestly, I don't consider NIN a show that I care much about the visuals for. It's nice to have shiny lights, but I was never into NIN for the art side of things. If stripped down = less stress for the crew and thus maybe a more intense set, I'm all for it.

And hey, maybe Trent can bring a saxophone in place of 300m of surgical tubing.

simonn
03-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Like I said, Trent's remark is basically the same thing that every band says before a tour that's being promoted. Unless he said "We're bringing the production over to the UK", I wouldn't have expected it. Trent's reputation on that subject supersedes any vague comments he might make.

'We're coming over with all the bells and whistles', is what he said - pretty much the same thing in my book.

Unless it's actually that - some bells and whistles, and I just REALLY misunderstood what he meant...

simonn
03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Honestly, I don't consider NIN a show that I care much about the visuals for. It's nice to have shiny lights, but I was never into NIN for the art side of things. If stripped down = less stress for the crew and thus maybe a more intense set, I'm all for it.

And hey, maybe Trent can bring a saxophone in place of 300m of surgical tubing.

He'd certainly better bring his tambourine over...!

BRoswell
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
...in my book.

Yes, in YOUR book. ;)

simonn
03-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Yes, in YOUR book. ;)

...and most other english speakers I'd guess...anyway, not here for a row - not that I'm suggesting you are...!:rolleyes:

xolotl
03-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Man, that version of The Great Destroyer on Smores' recording from the 28th is sick as all hell. Too awesome.

FernandoDante
03-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Ok, Tension never left the US, you have a point there. But they brought LITS down to South America, which is even harder to do than Europe. I think Trent was just too bored of that format to bring it over to Europe.

Not to mention the festival production, which, as I said before, was not quite LITS, but it was far more than what they're currently doing. They took that shit to Asia, Europe, and the US.

I trust Trent, and I honestly believe we'll see a screen pop up when they hit festivals. As he said it himself, when it's just 4 guys onstage, it tends to lose people's attention. It won't lose mine, but I'm not the only person watching that gig.

SarahConnor
03-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Wow, a setlist featuring no tracks from the latest LP. Who does that?

Corona Radiata
03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
http://instagram.com/p/lL6QoiDqv7/#

FernandoDante
03-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Wow, a setlist featuring no tracks from the latest LP. Who does that?

Say what????

simonn
03-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Say what????

Presumably talking about the second Japanese show...

thatguymark
03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
http://instagram.com/p/lL6QoiDqv7/#

Well, it looks like the 3x3 'tic-tac-toe' lights survived. Those things arguably did more in terms of versatility and overall effect than the stealth screens did for Tension, so while it may not be the full production, the light show should certainly be nothing to scoff at.

Ryan
03-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Some tv show or radio show just interviewed me, said Trent is gonna see it and I begged him to play the song AATCHB live haha

Ryan
03-06-2014, 12:57 AM
I also mentioned ETS, NIN hotline and Matt Dunphy and Gary Numan etc. they said they'll edit it together and Trent will see it yada yada. I think they asked me 10 questions in total

ManBurning
03-06-2014, 01:18 AM
Some tv show or radio show just interviewed me, said Trent is gonna see it and I begged him to play the song AATCHB live haha

How did this come about? Did you win a contest or something, or were you just walking by wearing a NIN t-shirt and the pulled you into the studio?

Harry Seaward
03-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Well, it looks like the 3x3 'tic-tac-toe' lights survived. Those things arguably did more in terms of versatility and overall effect than the stealth screens did for Tension, so while it may not be the full production, the light show should certainly be nothing to scoff at.

We got the 3x3 lights in Vegas without the rest of the elaborate setup and I was amazed by all the cool shit they did with those. They're certainly orders of magnitude cooler than just the laser beam lights.

Corona Radiata
03-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Brody https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiB8nYKCUAAUYP_.jpg

Corona Radiata
03-06-2014, 02:58 AM
NIN up first http://instagram.com/p/lMfYWjyutl/ http://instagram.com/p/lMflkjE01O/#

Looks like they opened with A Warm Place into Somewhat Damaged

WorzelG
03-06-2014, 03:46 AM
The tambourine is back (not that it went away). The lights are actually looking pretty cool

https://mobile.twitter.com/Doctortriplej/status/441505399611465729/photo/1

ManBurning
03-06-2014, 03:58 AM
Now we're up to: A warm place, somewhat damaged, terrible lie, sanctified and only.

Interesting start... @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) is probably hopping mad that Only is making an appearance, and so early in the set as well, odd.

I'm gonna attempt round 2 of trying to sleep. I was laying in bed for nearly an hour and then I remembered, hey, NIN should be on stage now in AUS... let's go online and see if the setlist has started.

EDIT: And 1 quick edit before I go, Burn just got added.

reseen_lamenti
03-06-2014, 04:04 AM
Now we're up to: A warm place, somewhat damaged, terrible lie, sanctified and only.

Interesting start... @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) is probably hopping mad that Only is making an appearance, and so early in the set as well, odd.

I'm gonna attempt round 2 of trying to sleep. I was laying in bed for nearly an hour and then I remembered, hey, NIN should be on stage now in AUS... let's go online and see if the setlist has started.

EDIT: And 1 quick edit before I go, Burn just got added.
I was the one editing setlistfm. The stuff on setlistfm is not in order (barring warm place and sd), this is just what I'm seeing via instagram, twitter and vines. Once everything gets revealed since nin's set finishes in 10-15 mins from now, the running order will be fixed.

Ryan
03-06-2014, 04:46 AM
How did this come about? Did you win a contest or something, or were you just walking by wearing a NIN t-shirt and the pulled you into the studio?

I was just standing at the front of the presale line (non NIN.com one) and they asked me.

and yes, fuck Only! Pretty standard set list.

in the interview they asked me what would open and I guessed Somewhat Damaged... go
me! Ps recorded it all. Hopefully tomorrow more interesting stuff is played.

Not sticking around for QOTSA.

Ryan
03-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Also no, not wearing anything NIN, just black.

telee.kom
03-06-2014, 05:26 AM
So really only 10 songs? That's.. not a lot

reseen_lamenti
03-06-2014, 05:30 AM
So really only 10 songs? That's.. not a lot

Setlistfm is obviously incomplete. People are still watching Queens (eg. (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queens-of-the-stone-age/2014/qantas-credit-union-arena-sydney-australia-5bc28f10.html)) and haven't even got home yet. Patience. Check again in a few hours.

telee.kom
03-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Someone just posted this on NIN facebook group

"The best show of my
Fucking life! They didn't even take a fuckinh break!!
In perfect order-tonight's set list-
:a warm place
somewhat damaged
letting you
terrible lie
march of the pigs
piggy
sanctified
came back haunted
me I'm not
copy of a
survivalism
wish
burn
gave up
hand that feeds
head like a hole
hurt
I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures, but I wanted to enjoy my first NIN concert!"

fillow
03-06-2014, 05:44 AM
nice Wave Goodbye setlist! Oh wait

Corona Radiata
03-06-2014, 05:46 AM
They definitely played Only.

Ash512
03-06-2014, 06:22 AM
They definitely played Only.
Can't blame anyone for forgetting they did though...

simonn
03-06-2014, 06:53 AM
19 songs as the 'support act/coin toss losers' not bad!! Ryan - why didn't you stick around for QOTSA, seeing them tomorrow, or not a fan?

dominik
03-06-2014, 06:56 AM
did qotsa have their screen? If yes they could've merged their productions (qotsa using the hanging light beamers and nin using the screen)..

WorzelG
03-06-2014, 06:58 AM
This setlist would have gone down really well at the Soundwave festival I think

Flashheart
03-06-2014, 06:59 AM
QotSA were well worth sticking around for. In fact, their screen and light show outdid NIN, plus they had five piece band (something NIN could have done with). Queens really outdid themselves, I'm impressed and i'm definitely far more a fan of NIN. I enjoyed certain things about the NIN set, but they were definitely nowhere near their best.

slave2thewage
03-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Did Trent go down to the front for Piggy?

Deepvoid
03-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Video of THTF. It's the only video I could find right now. Looks like they brought the Tension ceiling lights, which are in my opinion, the coolest set of lights NIN (aside from the screens) has used. The things those lights can do is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gui4JkIdOaw

dominik
03-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I wonder how many people came for NIN and how many people came for QOTSA.

r_k_f
03-06-2014, 08:07 AM
new RITC download from Smores' 2-28 show is ridiculous... crazy good.

jessamineny
03-06-2014, 08:42 AM
QotSA were well worth sticking around for. In fact, their screen and light show outdid NIN, plus they had five piece band (something NIN could have done with). Queens really outdid themselves, I'm impressed an i'm definitely far more a fan of NIN. I enjoyed certain things about the NIN set, but they were definitely nowhere near their best.

Yeah, but Queens also played the same basic setlist that they've been playing for a year. So y'know.

nooneimportant
03-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Video of THTF. It's the only video I could find right now. Looks like they brought the Tension ceiling lights, which are in my opinion, the coolest set of lights NIN (aside from the screens) has used. The things those lights can do is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gui4JkIdOaw

Hell yes! They kept the Magic Panel lights!

You're absolutely rigiht, they're the best lights NIN ever used. It's absolutely crazy, especially during Copy of A where it looks like they're beaming onto the fucking Enterprise in Star Trek.

ManBurning
03-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Not sticking around for QOTSA.

LOL!!! The same thing I did with Jane's addiction on NINJA.
What's that Trent, you're gonna play first and not have me suffer through Jane's set? You really are a nice guy, thank you!

Though Queens isn't bad, i'd take them over Jane's anyday. Probably wouldn't stick around for the end of their set myself though.
Good luck tonight though... I have a feeling They're gonna switch it up and Queens is gonna go on first and NIN 2nd for night 2.

billpulsipher
03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Trent should stop touring with horrible bands (QOTSA/Janes Addiction) whats next, the Foo Fighters co headline tour? He should tour with someone good, like Faith No More

Kyle
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Trent should stop touring with horrible bands (QOTSA/Janes Addiction) whats next, the Foo Fighters co headline tour? He should tour with someone good, like Faith No More

I just want everyone bashing QOTSA and JA to know that you just agreed with Bill. So there.

with that said though a NIN/FNM tour would easily make me cream my pants. But it's ok to agree with Bill when he makes his occasional positive comment about someone/something. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Especially since FNM isn't doing anything right now anyway so it isn't going to happen.

brokenfragility
03-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Faith No More sucks. Janes Addiction sucks. QOTSA is the only awesome one out of the bands mentioned here.

FernandoDante
03-06-2014, 11:56 AM
QotSA were well worth sticking around for. In fact, their screen and light show outdid NIN, plus they had five piece band (something NIN could have done with). Queens really outdid themselves, I'm impressed an i'm definitely far more a fan of NIN. I enjoyed certain things about the NIN set, but they were definitely nowhere near their best.
Cool that QOTSA have gotten to this level of live awesomeness. Sad that NIN didn't outdo it.

Kyle
03-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Faith No More sucks. Janes Addiction sucks. QOTSA is the only awesome one out of the bands mentioned here.

I'm not asking this to get into a "my band is better than your band" pissing match. It's an honest question. How much have you heard from FNM? I ask because it annoys me that they're considered a one hit wonder in America when that one song isn't even remotely close to their best. Not even in the same ballpark. QOTSA and JA (and I like both bands) can't even hold a candle to FNM at their best.

http://youtu.be/hiyvw5AD-C8

fillow
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I can't wrap around my head how can one not stay for QOTSA. This band is beyond awesome. And you don't even have to pay or drive, you already there at the show goddamnit.

Kyle
03-06-2014, 12:19 PM
I can't wrap around my head how can one not stay for QOTSA. This band is beyond awesome. And you don't even have to pay or drive, you already there at the show goddamnit.

Agreed.

But after seeing all the people who left when David fucking Bowie came on stage, nothing surprises me anymore.

ryanmcfly
03-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Rob Sheridan made an appearance on stage.
http://fuckyeahnothinc.tumblr.com/post/78752389537/gnarlycharli3-nine-inch-nails-were-basically

BRoswell
03-06-2014, 12:40 PM
whats next, the Foo Fighters co headline tour?

Or worse: OPENING for them!

Oh wait. That already happened.

Kyle
03-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Or worse: OPENING for them!

Oh wait. That already happened.

really? When did they open for Foo Fighters?

bowler_hat
03-06-2014, 01:10 PM
2007 in Ireland if I remember correctly. Didn't go myself.

cahernandez
03-06-2014, 01:11 PM
really? When did they open for Foo Fighters?

http://www.ninwiki.com/2007/08/22_Dublin,_Ireland

bowler_hat
03-06-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm beginning to think that whoever booked six arenas in the UK has made a big mistake. They didn't sell out two arenas back in 2009 so I can't see tickets for six arenas selling too well. I'd figured that the only reason for arena shows this time round was to get the big production in but that is starting to look ever so more unlikely.

I'm just hoping that they bring something like the screens they used for the European festivals last year. I caught that setup in its only arena show (Milan) and it was phenomenal. I actually preferred it to the tension show I saw in LA.

Flashheart
03-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Cool that QOTSA have gotten to this level of live awesomeness. Sad that NIN didn't outdo it.

Indeed. I think Queens were at the top of their game last night and...I think they deserved to headline, which is a sad thing to say as a NIN fan. Maybe if NIN borrow the Queens bass player and screen, they could be on a more even footing! Both bands were great though and NIN still delivered even if it was only half of what NIN was last year.

Flashheart
03-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Did Trent go down to the front for Piggy?
Yes. Yes he did.

halo33
03-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Was the show interrupted by a Delta commercial?

pukkelpop
03-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Probably said before, but gotta ask: Are tickets on the name of the (credit card) buyer? Cause i would give my friends tickets as birthday gifts...
But if they wont get in with it?? (i remember times when this was the case)

icklekitty
03-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Probably said before, but gotta ask: Are tickets on the name of the (credit card) buyer? Cause i would give my friends tickets as birthday gifts...
But if they wont get in with it?? (i remember times when this was the case)
No there's a separate box where you write the name.

draven
03-06-2014, 03:36 PM
anyone know if trent joined qotsa for 'kalopsia' last night?

reseen_lamenti
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
anyone know if trent joined qotsa for 'kalopsia' last night?
Kalopsia wasn't played.

fillow
03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Soo nobody even posted QOTSA setlist?
Straya, I'm disappoint.

reseen_lamenti
03-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Soo nobody even posted QOTSA setlist?
Straya, I'm disappoint.
You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, but I Feel Like a Millionaire
No One Knows
My God Is the Sun
Burn the Witch
Smooth Sailing
…Like Clockwork
If I Had a Tail
Little Sister
Fairweather Friends
I Sat by the Ocean
Make It Wit Chu
Sick, Sick, Sick
3's & 7's
Better Living Through Chemistry
Go With the Flow

The Vampyre of Time and Memory
Feel Good Hit of the Summer
A Song for the Dead

Night 2 is tonight. Might get some changes, who knows?

Ryan
03-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Rob Sheridan made an appearance on stage.
http://fuckyeahnothinc.tumblr.com/post/78752389537/gnarlycharli3-nine-inch-nails-were-basically

Yeah he was filming Letting You.

nowimdowninit
03-06-2014, 06:31 PM
$1 says they add a bass player before the European dates.

On a related note. Just listened to RITC's 2/28 boot, and well, uh not sure who is playing bass on "Various Methods of Escape" but he is pretty much failing. Cannot even find "the pocket." It sounds like a lousy cover band trying to cover the song. The fellas should really work on that.

slave2thewage
03-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Was the show interrupted by a Delta commercial?
What sort of ridiculousness is this?

It was a Quantas commercial.

Scramasax
03-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Got my ticket today for the Hydro in Glasgow. Gotta book my ferry over and hotel now. So excited!

butter_hole
03-06-2014, 07:21 PM
What sort of ridiculousness is this?

It was a Quantas commercial.

Queensland, Uh, And Northern Territory Aerial Services

slave2thewage
03-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Queensland, Uh, And Northern Territory Aerial Services

Oh for fuck's-

NEVERMIND.

simonn
03-07-2014, 01:43 AM
$1 says they add a bass player before the European dates.

On a related note. Just listened to RITC's 2/28 boot, and well, uh not sure who is playing bass on "Various Methods of Escape" but he is pretty much failing. Cannot even find "the pocket." It sounds like a lousy cover band trying to cover the song. The fellas should really work on that.

With the false start on TGD, and the shoddy intro to 1,000,000 - bearing in mind that must be Robin playing - they seem rusty!

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 01:50 AM
With the false start on TGD, and the shoddy intro to 1,000,000 - bearing in mind that must be Robin playing - they seem rusty!

The probably just need the extra hands. Shuffling that many intruments between 4 guys for an hour an a half to 2 hours can get quite tiring. I hope they add a 5th member for when the return to North America. It doesn't surprise me that they might be a little rusty, in the AMA on Reddit in December, didn't Trent say he was taking a break from practicing? That would imply they started practicing right away after tension ended, and then he probably gave everyone a winter break for the holidays around Christmas/New Years time and then resumed rehearsals maybe end of Jan / mid Feb before taking off to Japan. And that month and a half "break" he gave everyone he was probably working on The Gone Girl soundtrack day and night getting as much in before he left.

He's tired... He really needs the extra hired hands for this tour.

Flashheart
03-07-2014, 02:42 AM
The probably just need the extra hands. Shuffling that many intruments between 4 guys for an hour an a half to 2 hours can get quite tiring. I hope they add a 5th member...

He's tired... He really needs the extra hired hands for this tour.
Exactly. Do we know why Pino Palladino is no longer touring member, if so, can someone direct me where I can read about it. I know why Josh Eustis left (really wish he stayed with them, but it's how it is...the same as Eric Avery and Adrian Belew before)...but why couldn't Pino stick around? Just for the sake of actually having a bass player, irrespective of stage presence.

bowler_hat
03-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Exactly. Do we know why Pino Palladino is no longer touring member, if so, can someone direct me where I can read about it. I know why Josh Eustis left (really wish he stayed with them, but it's how it is...the same as Eric Avery and Adrian Belew before)...but why couldn't Pino stick around? Just for the sake of actually having a bass player, irrespective of stage presence.

Why did Josh Eustis leave? I thought he was a great addition to the line up. I think he'll be missed this year.

ManBurning
03-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Why did Josh Eustis leave? I thought he was a great addition to the line up. I think he'll be missed this year.

I think he felt like he was given the shaft when Pino and the others stepped in and pretty much deemed him useless for half the show. They had to figure out what to give him, and he got stuck playing random crap like a triangle.

But, it could also be because he had previous commitments with playing with Puscifer for Maynard's birthday. Little bit from collumn A, little bit from collumn B... or a whole fuck lot from collumn A and collumn B was a last minute "I need a job" backup.

Fist Fuck
03-07-2014, 04:07 AM
Josh Eustis? You mean that "guy that used to be in the band"?

WorzelG
03-07-2014, 04:21 AM
I wonder if all the coin tosses are going to work out as neatly as this in places where they play two nights, hmmm!

Flashheart
03-07-2014, 04:36 AM
"Kalopsia" was played tonight....sans Trent. That's like if NIN and Bowie toured together again and one of them didn't sing on "I'm Afraid of Americans" despite actually being there. Odd and slightly disappointing, but sounded alright.

fillow
03-07-2014, 04:55 AM
IMO, Kalopsia isn't really a song that needs TR so bad.
Now, if QOTSA were to play Era Vulgaris without bringing TR for his verse, that'd be weird for sure.

WorzelG
03-07-2014, 06:59 AM
From the tour spotting thread, Ryan says some htda was played, I would love to hear BBB but would be great if they replaced Ice Age with A Drowning, still showcases Mariqueen but I prefer the song. Ice Age is great in a small dose but I think goes on a bit long.

simonn
03-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Copy of A
Survivalism
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)!
The Frail
The Wretched
The Warning
Came Back Haunted
All Time Low
The Big Come Down (great 1-2!)
Gave Up
Ice Age
BBB
Wish
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole
Hurt

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/qantas-credit-union-arena-sydney-australia-7bc28a08.html

Only 18 songs is the first thing I notice (after The Big Come Down getting played of course!) I'm presuming the Piggy version is correct, makes a nice change.

If they'e going to play HTDA - I second the 'not Ice Age' comment! Literally anything but...

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 07:33 AM
I was never much of a fan of Ice Age (didn't dislike it, just meh), but in person it was riveting.

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 07:56 AM
So who went first this time?

r_k_f
03-07-2014, 08:16 AM
I don't think Ilan is doing a terrible job on bass..

r_k_f
03-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Pino's back with the John Mayer trio.... not sure if they're touring but they were on the Tonight Show the other day... Pino's on a level that i'm surprised he even stuck through that entire NIN tour. Eustis left to go back to doing his own thing, trying to get a Telefon Tel Aviv album out soon I believe in addition to Puscifer..

pukkelpop
03-07-2014, 08:48 AM
I think it's a matter of time before HTDA and NIN melt together.

RJK
03-07-2014, 09:01 AM
I think it's a matter of time before HTDA and NIN melt together.

I sorta disagree. I think Trent is realistic in the fact that HTDA isn't going to Japan or Australia any time soon or if ever and wants to provide a taste of it to those fans in those regions.

dvdglss
03-07-2014, 09:14 AM
I think he felt like he was given the shaft when Pino and the others stepped in and pretty much deemed him useless for half the show. They had to figure out what to give him, and he got stuck playing random crap like a triangle.

But, it could also be because he had previous commitments with playing with Puscifer for Maynard's birthday. Little bit from collumn A, little bit from collumn B... or a whole fuck lot from collumn A and collumn B was a last minute "I need a job" backup.

It could be that due to Tension production, Trent just doesn't have the $ to afford another member. Unfortunate sacrifices have to be made then. (Stupid non sold out shows in SoFLa)

icecream
03-07-2014, 09:19 AM
So the setlists are kinda average NIN setlists. Every time they start a new tour I get my hopes up they will play half of Still or some shit. I have no idea why, it always ends up the same.

Except for the HTDA stuff of course

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-07-2014, 09:34 AM
So the setlists are kinda average NIN setlists. Every time they start a new tour I get my hopes up they will play half of Still or some shit. I have no idea why, it always ends up the same.
Maybe because audiences wouldn’t take it well? I’m still amazed how long the Ghosts section of LITS was.

botley
03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Regardless of what YOU think of the song selection — and I really doubt TR thinks about trying to please us hardcore fans, most of the time — there is absolutely no rigidity to the setlist anymore. For the first time since 2009, there are zero restrictions on what opens the show (THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH "A WARM PLACE", WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK), what closes the set, what they do and don't have to play... and given how many songs have been rehearsed, that's pretty exciting.

arsenic
03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
This was posted a while ago

http://instagram.com/p/lP8tsUjqph/

edit: ???
http://i.imgur.com/YX7iwsL.png

Digital_Man
03-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Boston? I think I saw something with an outline of massachusetts

jessamineny
03-07-2014, 11:50 AM
There's more discussion of it in the NIN/Soundgarden tour rumor thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3008-NIN-with-Soundgarden-for-upcoming-US-tour).

fortheloveofgod
03-07-2014, 12:25 PM
That is in DC.

This was posted a while ago

http://instagram.com/p/lP8tsUjqph/

edit: ???
http://i.imgur.com/YX7iwsL.png

SarahConnor
03-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Maybe anyone thinking about the 'predictability' of the setlists needs to decide on another 'favorite artist/band?'
Its burnout.
Has anyone written a setlist?

icklekitty
03-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Regardless of what YOU think of the song selection — and I really doubt TR thinks about trying to please us hardcore fans, most of the time — there is absolutely no rigidity to the setlist anymore. For the first time since 2009, there are zero restrictions on what opens the show (THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH "A WARM PLACE", WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK), what closes the set, what they do and don't have to play... and given how many songs have been rehearsed, that's pretty exciting.

I actually like the look of the setlists so far. Consider most of these people have heard any of Hesitation Marks live yet.

Ash512
03-07-2014, 01:57 PM
I actually like the look of the setlists so far. Consider most of these people have heard any of Hesitation Marks live yet.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/44850246.jpg

Flashheart
03-07-2014, 04:08 PM
More songs from Hesitation Marks could be used in the Australian tour in fact. "Satellite" would be awesome. I'm grateful that they're mixing things up a all. Songs from The Slip aren't necessary, although "Discipline" wouldn't go astray. Considering this is an arena tour with a lot of Queens fans in the audience, it seems unlikely they'd pull something obscure that hasn't been played (much or at all) live before. Though you would think if anything they would have the QotSA "Era Vulgaris" and "Kalopsia" duets given the opportunity. Or have Josh Homme play guitar on "Copy of a"...so far, there's been none of that but it's still early in this tour.

simonn
03-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Having watched a couple of DVD's tonight (and still going) makes me think how much I'd love surprises like The Line Begins To Blur and Suck to pop up just once in a while.

r_k_f
03-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Maybe anyone thinking about the 'predictability' of the setlists needs to decide on another 'favorite artist/band?'
Its burnout.
Has anyone written a setlist?
Lol I just tried t make a short lil NIN playlist on Beats and it spiraled into 45 tracks..

telee.kom
03-08-2014, 05:23 AM
I was kinda hoping they would play whole Downward Spiral tonight or something, since today is the 20th anniversary of DS

sheepdean
03-08-2014, 05:31 AM
Ugh did NIN really play a popular NIN song again? Such a poseur, if Trent was a REAL musician he'd only play [50 song setlist of hard to play, unrehearsed, and unknown tracks].

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 05:34 AM
I would LOVE to hear Vessel live, until Reading I felt I really missed out on Year Zero (playing the beginning of the end and survivalism doesn't count)

sheepdean
03-08-2014, 05:37 AM
I would LOVE to hear Vessel live, until Reading I felt I really missed out on Year Zero (playing the beginning of the end and survivalism doesn't count)
Though I'm not the biggest fan of HM, I really hope the UK/Europe shows feature a heavy amount of the newer set of albums (YZ/G/TS/HM). We haven't had much of them played in general, and the fans I'm sure are itching for something new.

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 05:46 AM
Though I'm not the biggest fan of HM, I really hope the UK/Europe shows feature a heavy amount of the newer set of albums (YZ/G/TS/HM). We haven't had much of them played in general, and the fans I'm sure are itching for something new.
I agree, somehow every show i've been to since 2007 seems to have been a nostalgia show (except Reading festival) which is a bit annoying since Trent is always banging on about not being a nostalgia act, well bring on the new stuff then

sore_and_crucified
03-08-2014, 05:52 AM

Agreed. It's a shame we don't get the 'full' production. I'd loved to have seen the backing singers, Josh and Pino at least once, along with the full lighting etc. I'm still hoping for at least a couple of HTDA tracks in the set-list @ Manchester and Nottingham.

Volband
03-08-2014, 06:00 AM
Ugh did NIN really play a popular NIN song again? Such a poseur, if Trent was a REAL musician he'd only play [50 song setlist of hard to play, unrehearsed, and unknown tracks].
Ugh did NIN really play their go-to songs again despite all the promises? Such a trustworthy guy. If Trent was a REAL musician he'd play Hurt at least 3 times per set, God forbid some guys were late and missed the first 2.

Anyway, who cares about all that? I want info on the groundreaking new visuals for the new US tour. 7 cages. 30 screens. backup dancers. backup singers. All The Love In The Worlds. longass setlists... Did I miss something?

(On a sidenote, Piggy (NCSMN) is awesome, so I guess it's all cool)

(On a second sidenote,, I don't know either why they want to murder the HTDA experience with Ice Age, when they have songs like Fur Lined, How Long, Drowning, etc.)

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Setlist from Newcastle looks really cool, lot of YZ and HM. I'd be happy with that

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/newcastle-entertainment-centre-newcastle-australia-73c2829d.html

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Anyway, who cares about all that? I want info on the groundreaking new visuals for the new US tour. 7 cages. 30 screens. backup dancers. backup singers. All The Love In The Worlds. longass setlists... Did I miss something?
I can safely say this time I'm really not jealous of missing a Soundgarden / NIN co-headlining thing.

Freshcat
03-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Less than a week now until back-to-back Melbourne shows.
Hoping for set lists as diverse as the experiences; one show GA, one seating.

*crossed fingers for YZ, TS and HM heavy sets*

ryanmcfly
03-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Where are people getting the info that they played the Nothing Can Stop Me Now version of Piggy?

Volband
03-08-2014, 11:45 AM
I can safely say this time I'm really not jealous of missing a Soundgarden / NIN co-headlining thing.
yep, co-headlined tours kinda suck if you are not crazy into the other band as well, but at least durig NINJA Trent and co. busted out some decent surprises. Now after 3 shows, aussies have A Warm place (Tension staple, mind you), The Great Destroyer, and we are waiting for confirmation aout the Piggy version. Now look at the setlist from the first ninja show that even lacked encore:http://www.ninwiki.com/2009/05/08_West_Palm_Beach,_FL No one can fucking argue with RWIB V2, and guess when you'll have the chance to see Home ever again?

WorzelG
03-08-2014, 11:55 AM
yep, co-headlined tours kinda suck if you are not crazy into the other band as well, but at least durig NINJA Trent and co. busted out some decent surprises. Now after 3 shows, aussies have A Warm place (Tension staple, mind you), The Great Destroyer, and we are waiting for confirmation aout the Piggy version. Now look at the setlist from the first ninja show that even lacked encore:http://www.ninwiki.com/2009/05/08_West_Palm_Beach,_FL No one can fucking argue with RWIB V2, and guess when you'll have the chance to see Home ever again?
I saw Home actually in the first London Astoria show on the 2005 tour (comeback thing) - I didn't know it at the time though because the record hadn't come out so I hadn't heard Home before. So I don't really remember hearing it if you know what I mean, I'm sure I liked it though. The song With Teeth really stood out to me at that show because the bass was so awesome

GibbonBlack
03-08-2014, 08:48 PM
I saw Home actually in the first London Astoria show on the 2005 tour (comeback thing) - I didn't know it at the time though because the record hadn't come out so I hadn't heard Home before. So I don't really remember hearing it if you know what I mean, I'm sure I liked it though. The song With Teeth really stood out to me at that show because the bass was so awesome

I remember 'Home' from that show vividly. I hadn't heard it before but I loved it so much, still do.

That other guy
03-09-2014, 06:21 PM
I dunno , maybe it just me , But I think Trent is selling himself short , I would think if he got a decent / really good opening band , did A set up like Tension , he could sell out arenas or more than he did last year.I'm sure im not they only one that thinks NIN touring will end for good sooner than later , he seems real bored ( in some of his interviews).

Having had sometime to sleep on it , NIN/ Soundgarden should be good , would be amazing if NIN played mostly older stuff ( 3/4 of setlist is NON greatest hits). I'm thinking if NIN fails to keep up or match wits with the heavier Soundgarden songs , this tour will fail...

Joy Prevention Hotline
03-09-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm thinking if NIN fails to keep up or match wits with the heavier Soundgarden songs , this tour will fail...
Based on the videos I’ve seen from last year, I think SG will be the ones working to keep up — NIN can do the heavier songs with more conviction.

simonn
03-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Where are people getting the info that they played the Nothing Can Stop Me Now version of Piggy?

That was what was written on setlistfm at the time I wrote the setlist out - it now just says Piggy, someone obviously got carried away...

WorzelG
03-11-2014, 05:40 AM
The fact that they are taking so much care to film each of these tour legs makes me feel a bit despondent that this will be the final round of NIN touring, even though I don't think he'd ever say it was a final tour again after last time wasn't

fillow
03-11-2014, 06:33 AM
They have so much video stuff on their hands that when NIN retires for good, they can pull a Bowie and release a new live DVD every couple of years.
From the top of my head: Wave Goodbye shows, Brixton '05 shows, 2006 Amphitheater tour. I'm pretty sure TR can reach out and recover that '95 arena tour footage, if he'd feel like it.

nooneimportant
03-11-2014, 08:02 AM
They have so much video stuff on their hands that when NIN retires for good, they can pull a Bowie and release a new live DVD every couple of years.
From the top of my head: Wave Goodbye shows, Brixton '05 shows, 2006 Amphitheater tour. I'm pretty sure TR can reach out and recover that '95 arena tour footage, if he'd feel like it.

That 1995 footage still exists and is being held in captivity if someone on these forums is to be believed. I'd love for it to see the light of day as we never got a really good visual of the Self Destruct shows.

billpulsipher
03-11-2014, 10:37 AM
That 1995 footage still exists and is being held in captivity if someone on these forums is to be believed. I'd love for it to see the light of day as we never got a really good visual of the Self Destruct shows.

Its only been 8 months since the guy claimed to have the 95 show. Im sure the guy is taking his time...um yea...I called bullshit on that within 2 weeks and got decimated for it

WorzelG
03-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Found Perth setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/perth-arena-perth-australia-43c2ebe3.html

Line Begins to Blur, great. On the Wing and Parasite from Htda

SarahConnor
03-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Lol I just tried t make a short lil NIN playlist on Beats and it spiraled into 45 tracks..

I don't mean 'dream vicariously setlist,' but a setlist for music of one's own

simonn
03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Found Perth setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/perth-arena-perth-australia-43c2ebe3.html

Line Begins to Blur, great. On the Wing and Parasite from Htda

Who says Trent doesn't read these forums. Wished for TLBTB one page back!! Bit more variety is always good news, and good to know there's more to NIN's HTDA repertoire than the 2 original songs played...

FernandoDante
03-11-2014, 12:39 PM
what the fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2t-uj8iS0A

FULLMETAL
03-11-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm digging the fact TR is bringing out a little HTDA surprise here and there. It seems like this version of the band has a decent repertoire given Ally performed with HTDA and Ilan & Robin have been together since Wave Goodbye. I assume they're rehearsing new additions during soundcheck, but I'd kinda like to see TR join QOTSA or Josh to come in during NIN to really mix it up.

Oh, one more plea for the tour merch thread. If you have the chance, please take photos of the merch setup so we can catalog any new additions or exclusive items.

talkingnothing
03-11-2014, 01:53 PM
umm... which live Bowie dvd's are you talking about? to my knowledge, there are only a handful. ziggy, serious moonlight, glass spider, vh1 storytellers, and reality. the last couple are the only ones from like the last 15 years. are there some I don't know about? i want all the bowie i can get...

but hopefully you're right about stock piles of nails footage. i want all of that i can get too.

Kyle
03-11-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm digging the fact TR is bringing out a little HTDA surprise here and there. It seems like this version of the band has a decent repertoire given Ally performed with HTDA and Ilan & Robin have been together since Wave Goodbye. I assume they're rehearsing new additions during soundcheck, but I'd kinda like to see TR join QOTSA or Josh to come in during NIN to really mix it up.

Oh, one more plea for the tour merch thread. If you have the chance, please take photos of the merch setup so we can catalog any new additions or exclusive items.

Except for Wave See You Later, Ally has actually been with the band since WT. Between him and Robin, I'm not sure who has more NIN shows under their belt, but yeah - there is definitely comraderie with this incarnation of NIN.

skullboy0
03-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Except for Wave See You Later, Ally has actually been with the band since WT. Between him and Robin, I'm not sure who has more NIN shows under their belt, but yeah - there is definitely comraderie with this incarnation of NIN.

Robin - 450, Ally - 365 http://nintourhistory.com/tours.php

fillow
03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
umm... which live Bowie dvd's are you talking about? to my knowledge, there are only a handful. ziggy, serious moonlight, glass spider, vh1 storytellers, and reality. the last couple are the only ones from like the last 15 years. are there some I don't know about? i want all the bowie i can get...
I guess you can also count Reailty bonus DVD (the one where they played entire album front to back), Black Tie White Noise, Oy Vey Baby (alas, not released on DVD yet) and Live Aid show (released on a various artists box set).
But yeah, I probably combined his videos and live albums together in my mind. There were also Reality tour CD, Santa Monica, Glass Spider CD (with different show), Beeb, Beeb bonus CD (2000 show), Nassau Coliseum, reissues of Stage and David Live, and almost all of it came in between 2000 and 2010.
I really hope that he releases Outside/Dissonance show on official CD or DVD one day.

Corona Radiata
03-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Who played last @ the Perth gig?

Leviathant
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM

According to the first non-admin post in the Perth thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3021-2014-03-11-Perth-Australia-Arena?p=171599#post171599), Nine Inch Nails went on last.

Corona Radiata
03-11-2014, 04:48 PM
According to the first non-admin post in the Perth thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3021-2014-03-11-Perth-Australia-Arena?p=171599#post171599), Nine Inch Nails went on last.

Yes, I read that but I was unclear on if they meant NIN went on after Brody or after QOTSA.

Vee_One
03-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes, I read that but I was unclear on if they meant NIN went on after Brody or after QOTSA.

NIN went on last. Really, really good show. Much better than Newcastle (did both). I assume setlist has been posted, haven't checked as still in hotel room recovering and trying to sleep. If not will post.

Kyle
03-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Nobody did. They haven't played it at all this tour.

Corona Radiata
03-11-2014, 07:49 PM
On The Wing...fuck yes. Nine Inch Angels ftw.

TheBang
03-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Was bored. Number of shows for each band member (didn't bother with some of the really small ones).

Guitarists

Robin Finck - 448
Aaron North - 244
Richard Patrick - 175

Bassists

Danny Lohner - 251
Jeordie White - 244
JMJ - 142

Drummers

Chris Vrenna - 280
Josh Freese - 213
Jerome Dillon - 139
Ilan Rubin - 136
Jeff Ward - 71
Alex Carapetis - 31

Keyboardists

Alessandro Cortini - 366
James Wooley - 146
Charlie Clouser - 144
Lee Mars - 66

tricil
03-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Was bored. Number of shows for each band member (didn't bother with some of the really small ones).

Guitarists

Robin Finck - 448
Aaron North - 244
Richard Patrick - 175

Bassists

Danny Lohner - 251
Jeordie White - 244
JMJ - 142

Drummers

Chris Vrenna - 280
Josh Freese - 213
Jerome Dillon - 139
Ilan Rubin - 136
Jeff Ward - 71
Alex Carapetis - 31

Keyboardists

Allesandro Cortini - 366
James Wooley - 146
Charlie Clouser - 144
Lee Mars - 66

We gotta do something for Ally's 400th show and Robin's 500th this year.

r_k_f
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
We gotta do something for Ally's 400th show and Robin's 500th this year. Like what? Bake a cake?

WorzelG
03-12-2014, 02:41 AM
I don't know anything about Oz politics but a senator was at one of the shows the other day
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152289905964470&set=a.10150326711144470.368416.17351204469&type=1&relevant_count=1

fillow
03-12-2014, 03:03 AM
Did Trent ask about NIN CDs prices yet?

r_k_f
03-12-2014, 10:00 AM
sure hope some more videos of Parasite surface...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbNXw3o-5K8

matvei15
03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
How is this not being discussed now?

http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/nin-soundgarden-tour-dates-nine-inch-nails/

The bad:

-Terrible venue choices by amphitheaters over venues/arenas
-No standing floor in many of these
-No Matt Cameron for Soundgarden (https://www.facebook.com/Soundgarden)

The good:

-Must I say?

r_k_f
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Found a good On The Wing though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjRr0AX6MDE

RJK
03-12-2014, 10:17 AM

http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/nin-soundgarden-tour-dates-nine-inch-nails/

The bad:

The good:

-Must I say?

It is being discussed over here. http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3008-NIN-with-Soundgarden-for-upcoming-summer-amphitheatre-NA-tour

As far as the venues go, amphitheaters are probably cheaper to get than an arena.

Kyle
03-12-2014, 10:17 AM

The bad:

The good:

-Must I say?

i think the fact that they used us as a source should tell you this is all old news.

matvei15
03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
i think the fact that they used us as a source should tell you this is all old news.

Right, but I am not introducing it as new news, I am questioning why it isn't being discussed at all.

Kyle
03-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Right, but I am not introducing it as new news, I am questioning why it isn't being discussed at all.

It is. That article was linked somewhere and barely discussed because there was no new news in it.

RJK
03-12-2014, 10:30 AM

But it IS being discussed in another thread.

I know it is weird but this one currently is being used more to discuss the shows that are actually happening right now.

skullboy0
03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Was bored. Number of shows for each band member

Interesting that Robin & Ally have more shows under their belt than everybody else on their instrument combined. Would've guessed it for Robin since he's been there so long.

& pretty soon Ilan will move into #3.

sore_and_crucified
03-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Just checking the set list for the Perth gig. I note that On The Wing and Parasite were played with MQ. Now, I recall everyone have a hissy fit about the choice of HTDA tracks performed thus far, what with the Everything video being canned. I guess TR really does tune in on here frequently.

fillow
03-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Nah. If he did, we'd hear The Perfect Drug a lot by now.

Inkë
03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
I think it justifies exactly why he never played it.

SM Rollinger
03-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Trent is obviously in touch with what the fans (both casual and hardcore) want to hear live.

I remember Josh at one point saying they rehearsed it but were just unable to find a way to finish the song that sounded and felt right. Im sure someday with the right lineup and live 'focus', that we will hear TPD live. (I remember a time when Trent said no way in hell when it came to playing Last, and that got played. Same with A Warm Place (i dont think trent said he wasnt going to play that though, but its just another example of a deep cut making its way into the setlist)

fillow
03-13-2014, 12:45 AM
It's not (and never was) about the lineup. It's about the arrangement and even more about TR's own attitude to the song. It already was far from being his favorite, and these rehearsals Josh mentioned pissed him off even more. With the amount of material they learn for each tour and tight rehearsals schedule, I doubt he'll want to spent more time on this song again.

Kyle
03-13-2014, 10:31 AM
It's not (and never was) about the lineup. It's about the arrangement and even more about TR's own attitude to the song. It already was far from being his favorite, and these rehearsals Josh mentioned pissed him off even more. With the amount of material they learn for each tour and tight rehearsals schedule, I doubt he'll want to spent more time on this song again.

unless he just wants to get us to shut up.

Deepvoid
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM
TPD was released 17 years ago. People have demanded to hear that song live for 17 years.
Nothing to date.
If you ask me, it will never happen. It's sucks yeah, but that's the way it is.

Volband
03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Trent is obviously in touch with what the fans (both casual and hardcore) want to hear live.

I remember Josh at one point saying they rehearsed it but were just unable to find a way to finish the song that sounded and felt right. Im sure someday with the right lineup and live 'focus', that we will hear TPD live. (I remember a time when Trent said no way in hell when it came to playing Last, and that got played. Same with A Warm Place (i dont think trent said he wasnt going to play that though, but its just another example of a deep cut making its way into the setlist)
I would not be so sure about that. He had Wave Goodbye, which he treated as a possible last NIN tour ever. TPF wasn't even at a setlist. I really don't get Trent's song selection. It makes sense he doesn't like all of his songs. so he doesn't play them (TPF, Deep), or he can't sing them (WITT, Sunspots), but then he said things like The Collector was his favourite track from WT, yet it was barely played. He also said he's fucking tired forcing himself into moods he's just not in for certain songs, yet he still plays Wish (26 years on his way to hell, while touring with his wife and having 2 kids, mhkay) or The Wretched (now we know how it feels like being happy. you can try to fucking stop it, but it keeps on coming!!!).

I like these songs, I'm just saying it doesn't makes any sense to me. The only thing I didn't meantion is how well a song translates into a live version, but if he feels like the 3 minute ending of Disappointed when the band sounds like some native african musicians is something cool, then I don't see how [insert song here] is barely or never ever played.

Kyle
03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
TPD was released 17 years ago. People have demanded to hear that song live for 17 years.
Nothing to date.
If you ask me, it will never happen. It's sucks yeah, but that's the way it is.

While i do think you're right, Last took 15, so the time doesn't mean anything.

Kyle
03-13-2014, 12:05 PM
I would not be so sure about that. He had Wave Goodbye, which he treated as a possible last NIN tour ever. TPF wasn't even at a setlist. I really don't get Trent's song selection. It makes sense he doesn't like all of his songs. so he doesn't play them (TPF, Deep), or he can't sing them (WITT, Sunspots), but then he said things like The Collector was his favourite track from WT, yet it was barely played. He also said he's fucking tired forcing himself into moods he's just not in for certain songs, yet he still plays Wish (26 years on his way to hell, while touring with his wife and having 2 kids, mhkay) or The Wretched (now we know how it feels like being happy. you can try to fucking stop it, but it keeps on coming!!!).

I like these songs, I'm just saying it doesn't makes any sense to me. The only thing I didn't meantion is how well a song translates into a live version, but if he feels like the 3 minute ending of Disappointed when the band sounds like some native african musicians is something cool, then I don't see how [insert song here] is barely or never ever played.

And again..... while I agree TPD will probably never be played All The Love in the World was also not on any Wave Goodbye setlists either.

sheepdean
03-13-2014, 12:15 PM
But the show isn't just for Trent's mood, it's also for the thousands of people who paid to be there. Not playing Purest Feeling or AATCHB isn't as bad as not playing a high charting, popular, and fan favourite single. Maybe he doesn't want a drug reference because he's clean ... but then there's Parepin all over YZ. Even if he really hates it (like Kinda I Want To), he didn't even play it on what might've been the last show.

Sure, he doesn't owe us any particular song, but this long without it, I'd really like to know why it's never reared its head.

Kyle
03-13-2014, 12:20 PM
But the show isn't just for Trent's mood, it's also for the thousands of people who paid to be there. Not playing Purest Feeling or AATCHB isn't as bad as not playing a high charting, popular, and fan favourite single. Maybe he doesn't want a drug reference because he's clean ... but then there's Parepin all over YZ. Even if he really hates it (like Kinda I Want To), he didn't even play it on what might've been the last show.

Sure, he doesn't owe us any particular song, but this long without it, I'd really like to know why it's never reared its head.

And again.... Sanctified is all about his addiction.

BRoswell
03-13-2014, 12:34 PM

I think it comes down to the actual DEMAND for the song, which seems to be fairly low among fans. I'm talking about the fans who REALLY want to hear it, not the passive fans who are like "Yeah, that might be cool". I'd like to hear it live, but I can think of a bunch of other songs I'd like to hear first. That, and I don't think a live performance would be able to compare to the studio version.

Deepvoid
03-13-2014, 01:06 PM
I think the likelihood of hearing HiS is higher than TPD.

jmtd
03-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Whenever I relisten to TPD now I tend to think its not as good a song as I used to hear. It's quite possible that it doesn't merit the investment to play because it's just not that great. And, with 4+ albums since, fairly obscure now.

FernandoDante
03-13-2014, 03:33 PM
And again.... Sanctified is all about his addiction.
Really? I never saw it as a song about addiction. I also didn't figure he'd be addicted at age 24. I still see it as a song about fucking, but different interpretations and whatnot, right? If anything, some Fragile stuff he still plays has more to do with drugs, or recalls that period of addiction, more than TPD.

Speaking of Sanctified, I was surprised to see Ilan is playing bass on it. Was Alessandro not up to the task?

Also, I remember how awesome Alessandro sounded playing bass for HTDA. Then I listened to the version of Piggy NIN are playing now, and it doesn't even sound like the same person. Then some songs like Terrible Lie seem to have their bass parts removed altogether. If you ask me, having no synth player (2009) made more sense than no proper bass player (2014). I'm fine with the band playing to a tape of the stuff they can't reproduce live. I don't care if it's just Trent pressing Play on some device when the song starts, as long as there's a proper bass guy - the 4-piece format is more "rock" anyway, and I think bass is more important in that setting. As much as I think Alessandro was playing great with HTDA, it doesn't seem to be the case right now - which makes no sense, because it's the same guy. I hear Beck only starts touring in mid-April?

But what do I know, I'm watching YouTube videos. Anyone who's actually seen the 4-piece care to comment on Alessandro's bass skills?

sheepdean
03-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Really? I never saw it as a song about addiction. I also didn't figure he'd be addicted at age 24. I still see it as a song about fucking, but different interpretations and whatnot, right? If anything, some Fragile stuff he still plays has more to do with drugs, or recalls that period of addiction, more than TPD.
He made a (probably joking) mention once that it was about a crack pipe I believe.