PDA

View Full Version : Random Music Questions

wizfan
12-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Bring it on!

Here's one of mine:

I'm trying to find a hip-hop group that was posted in Ye Olde ETS a few months ago. I remember their name had four words and they had some very weird and unique performances with lots of staged stuff. They had played in a late night show (I think Ferguson or Letterman) once.

aurelius
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Help!
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out this song. It's an OutKast song that references their song Ms. Jackson (I'm not looking for the song Ms. Jackson). I believe there's a line like "we sang 'I'm sorry Ms. Jackson.'" I have since forgotten all the other relevant information. The radio station does not list their playlists from prior days, so I'm stuck. Google has not helped me.

RocketScience
01-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Bring it on!

Here's one of mine:

I'm trying to find a hip-hop group that was posted in Ye Olde ETS a few months ago. I remember their name had four words and they had some very weird and unique performances with lots of staged stuff. They had played in a late night show (I think Ferguson or Letterman) once.

Sounds like Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All and 'twas Fallon that they played.

Rakataz
01-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Help!
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out this song. It's an OutKast song that references their song Ms. Jackson (I'm not looking for the song Ms. Jackson). I believe there's a line like "we sang 'I'm sorry Ms. Jackson.'" I have since forgotten all the other relevant information. The radio station does not list their playlists from prior days, so I'm stuck. Google has not helped me.

i'm sure this isn't the song you're searching, but it's the closest i could find.
the track i've found has a similar line ("Listening To Outcast, I'm sorry Ms. Jackson")

"The Game - Better On The Other Side"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMdriIaDRis
(line comes at 2:23)

sadpanda
01-23-2012, 05:34 PM
because somebody posted a game track itt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJ3dO-x4-4

dlb
03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
So, since there is no thread on UNKLE and since I don't have any news that would warrant one, except for the occasional "who else likes UNKLE" talk, I'll ask my question here:

Google leaves me with pretty much nothing, but is there any live recording available? A (soundboard) bootleg maybe? I've seen some footage of a gig in Sydney, but what I'm searching for is audio from 2007 until now. Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance! ;)

Camille
03-06-2013, 04:07 PM
So, since there is no thread on UNKLE and since I don't have any news that would warrant one, except for the occasional "who else likes UNKLE" talk, I'll ask my question here:

Google leaves me with pretty much nothing, but is there any live recording available? A (soundboard) bootleg maybe? I've seen some footage of a gig in Sydney, but what I'm searching for is audio from 2007 until now. Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance! ;)

I'm a big fan of UNKLE and have never come across a circulating live recording other than an mp3 audio rip of the Sydney gig you mention from 2008. It's from the webcast of the show they played at The Metro. It's 1hr 25min, quality is sadly 128kbps mp3, but it's a really brilliant show and shows UNKLE's more guitar heavy live sound beautifully.
It's crazy that nothing else seems to be circulating audio wise. There are of course a ton of UNKLESounds and James Lavelle dj mixes all over the net, but nothing "live" wise. There used to be a Russian show from 2007 on dvd doing the rounds, and a rather poor quality rip from the Sydney webcast too.

I'll upload the Sydney gig to a wetransfer link if you want it. It's not tracked or anything though. I think I grabbed it from Dime, so it may still be available there too.

Lavelle just posted a wonderful new 2hr 30min mix on his soundcloud page if you're interested. https://soundcloud.com/james-lavelle/james-lavelle-presents-living

UNKLE really deserve their own thread I think.

dlb
03-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I'd be totally awesome if you could forward me that Sydney show somehow, since I'm too stupid to rip it on my own. It really is a shame that there isn't anything else. I'd kill for a live DVD since the visuals are amazing aswell as one can see from a couple of youtube videos. I really don't know why they never bothered to tour around these parts. I would pay good money to see them just once!

I really love what Lavelle does with his mixes and the amount of people he has worked with is utterly amazing. Besides Trent there is pretty much no one of my favorite artists missing within his discography. A very underrated genius IMHO!

Camille
03-06-2013, 04:17 PM
^^ I'll pm you the link when I get home later.

Deadpool
03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
^^ I'll pm you the link when I get home later.

If you could shoot me one as well that'd be awesome!

Thanks for the heads-up on that new Lavelle mix, too - I'll have to dig into that soon.

I love UNKLE. I've seen them live twice, both times at Webster Hall NYC. The second time Lupe Fiasco came out and rapped over "Chemistry" which was actually amazing. I distinctly remember him holding a white paper plate, which no doubt had lyrics handwritten on it, while he energetically moved around the stage. I've never really gotten into Lupe's solo stuff, but I like his collabs with UNKLE.

dlb
03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks alot! That show is so dope that I'm lost for words. Eventhough some of the vocalists are not present that doesn't take away from the dynamic of the live performance. A really great show and god do I wish there was more. :/

keys to the kingdom is one of my favorite songs of all time and the live version is even better in parts.

Alexandros
04-03-2013, 07:35 AM
I am trying to find a music video that I'm pretty sure I saw around the mid-90s. It was an electronic track (low key, sort of Bonobo-ish), no lyrics, and the video was mostly animated, or, if not animated, it was heavily processed to look like it was. It was full of imagery inspired by Soviet (or communist in general) propaganda art. Yeah I know it's all pretty vague. Help me ETS, you're my only hope!

Maximilian
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Question for some Brits who know. Wikipedia had this to say about The Stone Roses - Second Coming album:

"The second album by the influential Manchester four-piece, it suffered greatly at the time from the sheer weight of expectation generated by both the 5½ year gap between it and the band's eponymous debut, and the band's withdrawal from the live arena for 4½ of those years."

Damn, did England get that mad that The Stone Roses went away or what? I dig that album.

frankie teardrop
04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
they were considered to be the second coming of jesus. put out their rock solid debut and the hype and backlash was crippling. there are a few good songs on that album, but they mostly dropped the ball on that record for sure.

Pillfred
08-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Recently "found" Quantic 5th Exotic again and was really digging on it the other day. As i tend to be a more rock orientated person i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some music more along those lines, dare i say electronic?

dlb
10-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Anyone can recommend good train ride music? I used to listen the shit out of the Social Network soundtrack during my university days but it doesn't quite cut it anymore. I'm looking for something like this, a bit up beat, not too quiet or even shoegazey. What do you guys and girls listen to on your way to work?

Since I'm closing in on an hour right now I just can't listen to any NIN, BRMC, Black Angels, Primal Scream, QOTSA etc. anymore without going nuts when 100 people stand around you and you have to really crank the volume up.

Halo Infinity
10-09-2013, 08:36 AM
This question is only about physical mediums of music. I really am curious about this, because I remember CD players still being the "in" thing when I was in high school.

Wasn't the actual decline of the CD's popularity at least somewhere in the mid 2000s? Like at least around autumn or winter of 2004? When I was in my last year of middle school up until my last year of high school from 2000-2004, I still remember CDs still being a hot item in 2000, 2001, and 2002 in spite of file-sharing. CDs and CD players were still widely used in all of 2003 and most of 2004 from what I've seen.

I only ask because some people make it seem like CDs were the way they are now back in the early 2000s, but I still find that hard to believe. I'm sure it was at least around late 2004 to early 2005 when MP3 players really became the "in" thing altogether.

And well, knowing that there are vinyl fans here, which brand of vinyl players would you recommend?

piggy
10-10-2013, 03:24 AM
This question is only about physical mediums of music. I really am curious about this, because I remember CD players still being the "in" thing when I was in high school.

Wasn't the actual decline of the CD's popularity at least somewhere in the mid 2000s? Like at least around autumn or winter of 2004? When I was in my last year of middle school up until my last year of high school from 2000-2004, I still remember CDs still being a hot item in 2000, 2001, and 2002 in spite of file-sharing. CDs and CD players were still widely used in all of 2003 and most of 2004 from what I've seen.

I only ask because some people make it seem like CDs were the way they are now back in the early 2000s, but I still find that hard to believe. I'm sure it was at least around late 2004 to early 2005 when MP3 players really became the "in" thing altogether.
I think you're correct. While iTunes and the iPod were introduced in 2001, they didn't really catch on until the middle of the decade because that stuff wasn't originally cross-platform. I don't recall CDs really being in trouble before that time.

Khrz
10-10-2013, 04:52 AM
Also, most of the affordable mp3 player were quite weak on the storage departement, and phones weren't the omnipotent tools they are now.

Halo Infinity
10-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Isn't a minimum of 2 to 3 years a normal gap in between albums? It also seems like 4+ years would be an actual hiatus of some sort, and the least amount of time I've seen between albums was around 1 year to several months. So yes, 2 to 3 years is the normal interval of time between LPs, right? It really does seem that way.

frankie teardrop
10-11-2013, 12:09 PM
1-3 years is reasonable. i don't think there's a set standard though, especially if the band is always playing live or recorded a few tracks/eps over the course of time. any longer than 3 years and you're in nine inch nails or even worse, scott walker territory. it's a far cry than the 6 months/1 year max there was in the 70s/80s...

piggy
10-11-2013, 10:54 PM
In the 90s, a 2 year gap was very common and that's still pretty common today. However, when dealing with an older band like U2 for example, they'll typically slow down and the gaps will get to be more like 4 years or so.

Halo Infinity
10-18-2013, 05:59 PM
So, to anybody that remembers, around what year, or years did compact cassettes decline?

I checked out Wikipedia, and it said that the peak of compact cassettes was around the late 1980s, and that CDs were gaining popularity in the early 1990s, but even with what little I remember, being too young to really get into or care about music, I still saw compact cassettes and portable tape players being regularly used in 1990-1997. I think I've even seen actual LPs on cassette still being sold in 1998-2000, and 1999-2002 were around the last few years I've seen anybody use portable tape players in from last year of middle school and second year of high school. (And that was definitely during the first half of 2002.)

I couldn't find any actual years being mentioned on Wikipedia though, but regardless of their diminished popularity by 2000, they still held out pretty well in the early 2000s anyway. I'm at least positive that compact cassettes were still "in" around 1990-1996 in spite of CDs taking over though.

piggy
10-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Well, personally I was still buying cassettes during my first couple of years of high school in the mid 90s, because I didn't yet have my own CD player and cassettes were still considerably cheaper than CDs in those days. I would say they started to die right around 1997 or 1998. I feel like there were a lot of albums that came out in the late 90s that didn't really get released on cassette. Also, when portable CD players first hit the market, I think Walkmans were still winning for a short time because the skip protection technology either didn't exist yet or needed lots of improvement.

Then CD burners became available in the late 90s as well and that was another nail in the cassette's coffin, since you could now make mix CDs instead of mix tapes. Oddly enough, however, cassette decks were still standard in some cars well into the 00s and the last car in the world with a cassette deck was made just two years ago.

Trains
11-09-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm looking for an album and it's driving me nuts. I have no idea who it's by or what it's called. I saw it in the 'rock & pop' section of HMV a few months ago and can't find it now. I think the artist was somewhere between A and D. It was in a hardcover DVD slipcase (like the delux edition of the new Manic Street Preachers album for example). The cover was plane white with some handwritten-style text on the front. It was about how the artist had written the songs on album during a period after he and his girl had broken up. I think it might have contained photos or a book as well as the CD. If anyone can tell me what this is, I will be eternally grateful.

Halo Infinity
11-10-2013, 12:05 AM
This isn't really a question, but I didn't realize that lots of casual fans also attended concerts. I used to think mostly die-hards, superfans, or hardcore fans attended concerts, and not that there's anything wrong with a casual fan, but as somebody that barely went to concerts, it certainly shows how much I know.:p

As for some actual questions...

1. From the looks of it, do rock musicians often get the most pressure and criticism for "selling out"? It happens in rap too, but not even rappers seem to be as pressured or criticized as harshly as rock musicians, and well, with pop stars, they're obviously expected to sell out.

2. Do rock musicians also get the most flack for guest appearances on albums? When it comes to rap and pop, guest appearances seem to be more encouraged.

3. And well, it's interesting how most rock musicians seem to outlast rappers and pop stars. I wonder why that's the case? (Although I could see more of why that would be the case with pop stars.)

wizfan
11-10-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm looing for a music video I had seen ages ago: there was this guy who kinda looked like a cross between Eminem and Chester Bennington (or maybe it was Eminem), he was wearing black rimmed glasses and was walking around a city. The song was very moody and he was rapping about stuff that sometimes were written on pieces of cardboard, and I only remember the lyrics "crap" and "kiss my ass".

Also, a rap song by a rapper with a very smooth voice, the only lyrics of which I could pick up were "walk away" and "that's life/that's my life".

Pillfred
11-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Dude at work played me a band and I forgot to get the name I'll ask him when I see him again but I'd figure I'd ask here in the meantime. They were a metal band that had an almost dubstepy sound behind the riffs as well. Very heavy kinda reminded me of all shall perish but with electronic melodies and such. I thought they were really good. If I don't get a response here I'll post back when I find out if anyone is interested.

Trains
11-25-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm looking for an album and it's driving me nuts. I have no idea who it's by or what it's called. I saw it in the 'rock & pop' section of HMV a few months ago and can't find it now. I think the artist was somewhere between A and D. It was in a hardcover DVD slipcase (like the delux edition of the new Manic Street Preachers album for example). The cover was plane white with some handwritten-style text on the front. It was about how the artist had written the songs on album during a period after he and his girl had broken up. I think it might have contained photos or a book as well as the CD. If anyone can tell me what this is, I will be eternally grateful.

Hate to bump...but I reeally want to know what this album is. Anyone?

Pillfred
11-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Dude at work played me a band and I forgot to get the name I'll ask him when I see him again but I'd figure I'd ask here in the meantime. They were a metal band that had an almost dubstepy sound behind the riffs as well. Very heavy kinda reminded me of all shall perish but with electronic melodies and such. I thought they were really good. If I don't get a response here I'll post back when I find out if anyone is interested.

The Browning is the name of the band.

Halo Infinity
01-28-2014, 03:23 AM
1. I really was oblivious to this for the longest time, but are there more people out there that are into listening to a few or a couple songs instead of albums, especially since the mid 2000s up until now?

I was just curious, as I've spoken to people in real life and they told me that they don't really listen to albums. And not to bring the file-sharing discussion into this, although it's sometimes inevitably linked, and the fact that entire discographies can be downloaded. I could see that in a way now though, and have been understanding it more and more, as it's not so easy to digest album after album sometimes. As for me, I like to listen to albums in chronological order when getting into a band, and when I have the means, then the collecting begins.

2. This also lead me to ask the following question... does this mean that there's also a lot of casual fans that attend concerts too?

For quite a while, I used to assume that almost all the fans at concerts are the kind of fans that would get into the albums, buy the albums, T-shirts, posters, and other merch, whether they're a diehard or not. And please bear with me, as I think this really is one of those things that I've learned VERY late in life. My bad. I can't believe I didn't really consider these things for quite some time.

3. And for my last question, do you also get into bands by listening to their albums in chronological order?

I tend to do that every time... and see how that could look sort of OCD though. I also try to collect the CDs if I ended up liking them enough. Sometimes it's not easy though, since they might cost more than they should, and the fact that CDs are getting harder to find. And well, sometimes I simply don't have the money for CDs at all times.

piggy
01-28-2014, 11:31 PM
1. I really was oblivious to this for the longest time, but are there more people out there that are into listening to a few or a couple songs instead of albums, especially since the mid 2000s up until now?
I think it has shifted that way, in general. It's most definitely true for casual music listeners. I can go either way. I love to take the journey that an album can provide, but I do just as often listen to iTunes on shuffle because it's fun. At the end of the day, though, I hope that there are still plenty of folks who can appreciate albums... well, consistent ones, anyway.

2. This also lead me to ask the following question... does this mean that there's also a lot of casual fans that attend concerts too?
Definitely. When I first started going to concerts, I assumed that the other people would be just as nerdy as I was, but some of them are there simply to be entertained and may not even know the song titles or what albums they're on. I think that's probably been true for decades, though, and doesn't necessarily correspond to the changes in listening habits. On the other hand, if you're paying a lot of money for the tickets and don't have much disposable income, you're probably more than a casual fan.

3. And for my last question, do you also get into bands by listening to their albums in chronological order?
Nope. I usually start out with an album that I happen to be partially familiar with due to knowing of its reputation or its singles or whatever, and then branch out from there if I'm craving more. And I do sometimes go the best of/greatest hits route first, too.

cahernandez
02-02-2014, 11:58 AM
I went to see the movie '12 Years a Slave" yesterday and I was fascinated with the slaves songs. Do you guys know of a good compilation of slaves music/early days gospel?

Halo Infinity
02-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Nope. I usually start out with an album that I happen to be partially familiar with due to knowing of its reputation or its singles or whatever, and then branch out from there if I'm craving more. And I do sometimes go the best of/greatest hits route first, too.
I think I've finally fully realized why I've done this. I tend to look at albums like seasons to a TV show, and try to take each album as a whole movie even when I'm not listening to the albums back-to-back. I'll understand if that doesn't make any sense, and would look a little OCD, since not all albums are connected, and not all of them have a story. I also like to look at albums as a snapshot as to who, what, and where the band or musician was at the time. I also like to collect the CDs as well, and they can also take a lot of time and money to find and get.

Your approach is much better though, and I've also started to get into bands that way, way before even considering to check out the rest of the discographies. I also try to branch out from time to time, but I'm also far from being among the biggest music buffs. I was ironically never that big of a music guy to begin with, as video games were my first love, but Nine Inch Nails really struck a nerve with me. I was into other bands way before getting into NIN too, but ever since discovering NIN, he's been one of my most favorite musicians for quite a while, and a long time coming.

fillow
05-22-2014, 02:51 AM
What are everyone's favorite songs for tapping/table drumming?
I can go on forever tapping, for example, Pumpkins (I Am One, United States), Tool (The Grudge, T&L, Jambi, The Pot etc) and tons of other stuff.

wizfan
05-22-2014, 03:24 AM
What are everyone's favorite songs for tapping/table drumming?
I can go on forever tapping, for example, Pumpkins (I Am One, United States), Tool (The Grudge, T&L, Jambi, The Pot etc) and tons of other stuff.

Propellerheads' Take California.

Trains
06-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Anyone know of any musicians/bands who sound at all like these guys? (FYI the first 1:35 is gibberish...)

http://youtu.be/Xgzbyd2MhbE?t=1m35s

WorzelG
06-27-2014, 12:29 PM

I made the mistake of doing this with Radiohead and was put off listening to other stuff by them for a while because I thought Pablo Honey was indie landfill

BenAkenobi
07-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Question for copyright know-it-alls. Recently a band announced album and i made a parody artwork based on other artist's famous album cover from many years ago, changing faces, artist name and album title accordingly, which i posted on the band's forum with a note it was "quick messing around". It was removed by moderator with a "possible copyright infringement" note. Do i absolutely have to contact publisher of the old album to grant permission for parody?

Halo Infinity
07-27-2014, 11:16 AM
I've been actually thinking about this ever since I've graduated high school, and I'll understand if it never mattered to some people. I also wanted to see what other people would've thought of this. I also kept forgetting to ask this question here. Anyway, as for the actual question, here it goes.

If a band comes out with their debut album in your late teens or early 20s, would that mean that the band is outside of your generation?

icecream
07-27-2014, 12:13 PM
I made the mistake of doing this with Radiohead and was put off listening to other stuff by them for a while because I thought Pablo Honey was indie landfill
I did too. Then my ex made me listen to In Rainbows and it changed the way I check bands out. Now I either do their popular or critically acclaimed album, sometimes the most recent. If they are an older act usually it's greatest hits then the album with the most songs I enjoy.

allegro
07-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Question for copyright know-it-alls. Recently a band announced album and i made a parody artwork based on other artist's famous album cover from many years ago, changing faces, artist name and album title accordingly, which i posted on the band's forum with a note it was "quick messing around". It was removed by moderator with a "possible copyright infringement" note. Do i absolutely have to contact publisher of the old album to grant permission for parody?
I'm ASSUMING you mean violating U.S. copyright laws, since you are posting this in a forum owned and operated in the U.S., in which case: U.S. Copyright prohibits "substantial use" without permission. Yours is absolutely substantial use so, yes, you need permission.

For info re duration of their copyright, see this: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

piggy
07-27-2014, 11:13 PM
I've been actually thinking about this ever since I've graduated high school, and I'll understand if it never mattered to some people. I also wanted to see what other people would've thought of this. I also kept forgetting to ask this question here. Anyway, as for the actual question, here it goes.

If a band comes out with their debut album in your late teens or early 20s, would that mean that the band is outside of your generation?
I would say no because a fair number of bands are in their early 20s when they put out their debut albums, so basically same generation. And really, generation lines get blurred when it comes to music and other aspects of pop culture. If an album or movie came out when you were a kid or well into adulthood, it doesn't necessarily mean that your generation didn't experience it firsthand.

perceptionnexus
10-20-2014, 02:35 PM
An older thread revival, wasn't sure if to post here or to create an "I'm looking for..." thread for everyone, but wondering if someone might be able to point me the right direction here or recommend some artists cuz I for the life of me can't find any that fit the bill. I'm trying to scratch an itch to discover some new music that is real atmospheric and kinda spacey, but still at least quasi-melodic, primarily has a lot of dark pad synths that's not dance-y or really upbeat. Vocals are optional. Cloest thing I can think of would be like haxan cloak with more melody and song structured arrangements. This is the kind of stuff I usually write and I'm not that original so I know there has to be something else out there! :) any recommendations are most appreciated

perceptionnexus
12-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Does anybody know if Flood (Mark Ellis, producer) has ever released any of his own music? I can't seem to find any info, just wondering if he ever has.

piggy
12-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Not that I know of. Would be cool if he did, though.

kel
03-07-2015, 12:50 PM
i was gonna start a thread about the first album or record that made you take pause, stop in your tracks and love music in a non-casual way. i'm thinking the topic might be too vague and just clog stuff up, but i really like the idea.

for example, the first album/record i absolutely loved and listened to constantly start to finish was scritti politti's 'cupid and psyche '85' when i was probably six or seven. when i was 13, i was obsessed, start to finish, with ace of base's 'the sign.' yeah, i know.

but the first headphone-obsessed album i was totally absorbed with was janet jackson's 'rhythm nation 1814.' i listened to it end-to-end relentlessly. every track felt weak if it wasnt part of the whole.

and, believe it or not, it led me to other headphone-preferred, package deal stuff like 'the downward spiral.'

make sense and worth it or should i go back to bed?

Khrz
03-07-2015, 12:53 PM
I'd love to say it was something amazing, but well that's really relative to your own musical culture at the time, so it was probably either the black album, or A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

piggy
03-08-2015, 12:47 AM
The album that made me fall in love with music was Ten by Pearl Jam in about 1994/5 when I was a freshman in high school. I was just floored by how raw and nakedly emotional it was. At the time, I had no idea that music could be that cathartic (imagine my amazement upon then discovering the catharsis offered by The Downward Spiral.) Ten also got me to pick up a guitar again and become serious about it after a few times of picking it up and putting it down during childhood. I've been a player ever since.

WorzelG
03-08-2015, 01:24 AM
i was gonna start a thread about the first album or record that made you take pause, stop in your tracks and love music in a non-casual way. i'm thinking the topic might be too vague and just clog stuff up, but i really like the idea.

for example, the first album/record i absolutely loved and listened to constantly start to finish was scritti politti's 'cupid and psyche '85' when i was probably six or seven. when i was 13, i was obsessed, start to finish, with ace of base's 'the sign.' yeah, i know.

but the first headphone-obsessed album i was totally absorbed with was janet jackson's 'rhythm nation 1814.' i listened to it end-to-end relentlessly. every track felt weak if it wasnt part of the whole.

and, believe it or not, it led me to other headphone-preferred, package deal stuff like 'the downward spiral.'

make sense and worth it or should i go back to bed?
Probably the Human League - Dare when I was about 8. The trio of Get Carter, I Am the Law into Seconds is genius. First proper album in pop music I heard where the album tracks beat the singles IMO.

Halo Infinity
03-09-2015, 12:04 PM
How long is an actual set-list supposed to be? 1 hour and 30 minutes at the shortest? 2 hours?

@piggy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568) @Hazekiah (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1162) - I don't really know since I don't go to rock concerts that much, and reading about Marilyn Manson having a 1 hour set-list was clearly considered to be a lot shorter than a typical set-list, which I'd also actually happen to agree with.

So, would 1 hour and 30 minutes be a regular minimum? I've actually timed the set-lists with the few concerts I've attended, and they all clocked in at 2 hours at the very least, and maybe somewhere in between 2 hours and 15 minutes or 2 hours and 30 minutes at the longest.

piggy
03-09-2015, 10:24 PM
I don't have a huge amount of experience, but yes I would say that 1.5 hours is a regular minimum with 2 hours being fairly average. Shorter sets sometimes happen with older artists who maybe don't have the stamina or newer artists who don't have enough songs to make a longer set.

Hazekiah
03-16-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm hardly any kind of expert myself, but nonetheless I've still been to thousands of concerts...even not counting Manson, lol.

But I would certainly say that hour-and-a-half setlists are definitely NOT "the regular minimum," any more than two hours is "fairly average."

I've seen TONS of shows where the headliner barely even played 45 minutes, for instance. And two hours is actually a pretty damned long set for anyone.

In terms of BIG rock shows, though, I think it's important to remember that it's ultimately a business. Contractual obligations and/or penalties are always involved. For general (co-) headlining shows and festivals and stuff, it seems like an hour is typically the minimum, although I'm sure that's flexible and open to negotiation.

Likewise, if a band starts late but has room to extend their set to the minimum length anyway then they can do that, but will likely incur fines in the process. But if a weather delay shuts down an outdoor festival for a couple hours (or whatever) then it's not unheard of for the organizers to skip a few bands or give everyone a chance to play shorter sets until the schedule's back on track for the headliners. In which case, I'm SURE there would be no fines levied against the bands who weren't given time to meet their contractual requirements for minimum set-length. Shit happens.

In short, as long as the headliner plays for about an hour, and especially if they go beyond that, I'd say they're on pretty sound legal ground and the bulk of the audience will leave satisfied.

piggy
03-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Fair enough, but...

1. I get the impression that Kris wasn't thinking about festival shows when he asked.
2. My experience is with "regular" concerts, as I've never really attended a festival.

Hazekiah
03-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Yeah, sorry...I didn't mean to make it sound like I was talking about festivals exclusively up there. What I said was meant to apply more generally than that.

I just meant to clarify that I wasn't talking about relatively up-and-coming bands at a smaller club or w/e and that, even in terms of more tightly-scheduled shows with larger bills with less wiggle-room, an hour-or-so seems pretty standard.

And obviously weather conditions affect outdoor shows more, so I mentioned festivals again there for the sake of an example of the business practices in question.

In terms of general rock shows, I still wouldn't say that an hour-and-a-half would be the MINIMUM set-length or that two hours is AVERAGE, though.

Well...at least not unless you're seeing Bruce Springsteen or the String Cheese Incident or some shit, lol.

;)

piggy
03-17-2015, 10:16 PM
I knew what you meant, I was just saying that if a person generally only attends regular shows and not festivals, they wouldn't really be seeing shows that short at all. Since Kris was mentioning longer shows to begin with, I assumed festivals were a moot point. Anyway, my experience is far more limited than yours, but I was basing it on the fact that I've only ever seen two sets that were shorter than 90 minutes and I don't go to jam band shows.

Frozen Beach
05-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Does anyone know of a good place where to download David Sylvian live gigs? Dime and Zomb only have a few. I'm trying soulseek as well, but everything pretty low quality so far. I'm trying to build an archive because I'm thinking of making a compilation of live only tracks plus tracks with different variations live.

Pillfred
05-04-2015, 03:42 PM
You check archive.org? I've found some random live recordings there before.

Frozen Beach
05-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Yep, didn't find anything except artwork. His live material seems to be quite elusive in high quality.

ZRFTS
05-04-2015, 04:09 PM

I always listen in chronological order. Just to note the improvements that they've made. Many artists can make a good debut album, or they can make a shit one and then the second album comes out and it either blows my mind or makes me hate the artist entirely. It's better than listening to albums in random order and then discovering that debut album that may sound good or bad. Many hip-hop artists are tough to get through because you're waiting for that masterpiece to come. NIN is the only exception where they have a good debut and a sophmore album. Head in a Hole (best synthpop album ever) and Broken/The Downward Spiral. (either one is the most influential/independent albums in music.)

What can I say, I'm a completionist.

Frozen Beach
05-07-2015, 02:19 AM
Why the hell does no one on Dimeadozen tag their files? It's incredibly annoying having to have unlabeled files. It also doesn't help that actually tagging them would fuck up my ability to seed them.

wizfan
09-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Why the hell does no one on Dimeadozen tag their files? It's incredibly annoying having to have unlabeled files. It also doesn't help that actually tagging them would fuck up my ability to seed them.

Word.

My question:

I'm looking for music videos with a narrative that is close to the lyrical material of their songs. Examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

Any more recommendations? Weird Al and other parodies do not count.

Halo Infinity
03-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Did any of you also ever hear how bad a band was and try it out of curiosity and then actually ended up liking the band?

I thought this would fit in here more than the Shitty Music and Controversial Music Opinions threads, but asking this question makes me feel like I'm entering both types of topics. This also made me realize that while it's good to keep an open mind and listen to differing opinions, or opinions other than your own, it's also still ultimately up to yourself to figure out what works for you and you alone. It also occurred to me that this type of topic could be easily lumped up with Guilty Pleasures.

Anyway, this was exactly what happened to me in regards to the Insane Clown Posse and Limp Bizkit. I don't really follow them now, nor am I into them like I used to be, but at the same time it just increased my curiosity as I listened to their albums over and over while checking out and collecting more albums of both bands. I wanted and analyze and dissect why and how it was bad. And looking back at it, I totally got it from the start, but I still found some things I ended up enjoying in spite of how many people told me how bad they were.

Then again, there's as many opinions as there are people, so I've already heard and read negative opinions of bands that were also adored and praised my many that even ETS would love.

It's helped me also learn how to separate what I like and what other people see, think and hear, so I'm able to like something and also still try my best to consider as to how and why one person's trash and another person's treasure and vice-versa.

It was also very humbling, since it's a constant reminder that we all might like things lots of people love, but for all the lovers, there are always inevitably haters, and at the same time, it also reminded me just how personal musical preferences/interests can sometimes be, and that pleasing everybody, yet again is always impossible.

And then, if music is really bad to somebody, it has led me realize and further accept that it is literal mental, emotional and aural torture to the max to those that hate it, like a virus that spread all across the world for those to subject to it.

But anyway, has it happened to you? As in you kept hearing how horrible a band's (Or rapper/singer.) music is, only to check it out while trying to figure out why people hate it, only to actually like it yourself?

And this was even way before I even knew of ETS or NIN, but I've always found the way opinions about music/musicians were articulated, developed, constructed as well as how they evolve, fascinating since it seems harder to explain and grasp than say reviews on movies, TV shows and video games since they're visual mediums.

SchwarzerAbt
10-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Is there a page like flickchart.com for music/albums?

Maximilian
12-20-2020, 12:03 PM
When are R.E.M. coming back?

allegate
12-23-2020, 11:43 AM
I don't know if Eve6 (https://twitter.com/Eve6) recently joined twitter or not but they're* tearing it up.

Also when did Macklemore join the band?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/17998052/1566406133/1080x360

their social media intern, more likely

Jon
12-23-2020, 11:49 AM
I don't know if Eve6 (https://twitter.com/Eve6) recently joined twitter or not but they're* tearing it up.

Is that 40ish tweets in the last 2 hours? Someone is manic...

allegate
12-23-2020, 11:54 AM
I mean, some of it reads like someone hacked the account and no one's bothered enough to care.

ickyvicky
10-05-2021, 12:46 PM
Do artists get more money when you stream their music or purchase their online music? I know it varies with each streaming service, but what's like a general rule of thumb?

r_z
10-05-2021, 04:03 PM
purchase.

Soma
10-06-2021, 03:00 PM
1 album purchase = 10 song downloads = 1500 song streams

https://blog.musicscribe.com/2019/02/cds-vs-streaming-part-one-short-term-gain-long-term-loss/

If we use the RIAA model of 1,500 streams, with an average of 3 minutes per song, a single person would have to stream 75 hours of music to qualify as one unit sold.

ickyvicky
10-06-2021, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking like - if I'm sitting in my office and want to have some background music playing, is it better for the artist that I stream their music, or listen to my downloaded stuff instead?

r_z
01-31-2023, 04:29 PM
I'm looking for 90s albums by singers that were produced by 'club scene guys' (for lack of a better term). Think "Ray of Light" (produced by William Orbit) or "Homogenic" (Mark Bell). I love those glitchy, trance infused, trip hop-y 90s sounds!

Any recommendations?

Erneuert
01-31-2023, 04:50 PM
I'm thinking like - if I'm sitting in my office and want to have some background music playing, is it better for the artist that I stream their music, or listen to my downloaded stuff instead?

I guess streaming gets the artist revenue, but listening to downloaded stuff will ensure no interruptions for you.