PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid

Pages : [1] 2

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
What do you guys think about the new HD collection? The art book that came with the ultimate edition is stellar...And with finals and the end of the semester going on, I haven't had time to sit down and play the games. But after finals, I'll be playing the heeeeeell out of this.

darktemplar007
12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm bummed the HD collection doesn't include any version of the original MGS.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I am too. I really wish they would have at least included it with the ultimate edition, as they did with some other super mega special Japanese edition (well, it was a downlaod voucher for MGS1, but same thing).

Piko
12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
If only they would port the twin snakes version... Man, that would be amazing.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
If only they would port the twin snakes version... Man, that would be amazing.

Right? I don't think it would have taken tooo much work, but I'm sure there was some kind of legal thing with it bring a Nintendo game, or they would have needed to go through and reconfigure all the controls and all that jazz...I never got to play Twin Snakes, but I would've liked to. At least those of us that never had a PSP can play Peace Walker.

I saw someone call this the "Metal Gear Big Boss HD collection" since we see more of him than Snake. Fitting. :P

Piko
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Haha, I didn't think of that. Weird to see Peace Walker included. I still have my Twin Snakes. Just a hassle to find and hook up the GameCube...

liquidcalm
12-01-2011, 05:39 PM
nicer graphics aside, Twin Snakes isn't *that* great. It's worth a play for sure, but I found playing the original still feels better. Then again the gamecube controller really didn't fit the game at all.

The HD collection isn't out till next year over here, I'll be getting it for sure though, can't wait to give Peace Walker a proper go, I just couldn't get into it on psp.

krush
12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I am too. I really wish they would have at least included it with the ultimate edition, as they did with some other super mega special Japanese edition (well, it was a downlaod voucher for MGS1, but same thing).

Well the JP release didn't include Peace Walker, so at least we have that.

DF118
12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Peace Walker on the PS3 is a dream come true.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Well, if that's the case, then it seems like a pretty fair trade. :P I haven't heard any really bad news about Peace Walker, and I loved the atmosphere of MGS3, so I think I'll be in for a surprise. I can always just get MGS1 on the PSN for 10 bucks.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I just came 2 seconds from shitting my pants after watching the new trailer for Rising. HE FUCKING FIGHTS A RAY WITH HIS KATANA?? (Someone should post a link here, since my iPod isn't letting me).

Piko
12-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Gameplay looks fine. But they totally fucked up the canon. It was supposed to take place between 2 and 4. Now it's after all of that. How does that make any sense? And Revengeance? Really? A little disappointed. Kojima should've finished this before tossing it over to Platinum. I'm officially skeptical now.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-11-2011, 04:25 PM
The Revengeance subtitle is a bit corny...waay corny. But Kojima's always had that little twist to everything he does when it comes to Metal Gear, in one way or another. Normally, I'd be skeptical. But if Kojima's involved, I think it's definitely worth a chance.

And as great as the action looks, I'm really hoping that they give us a peek at how the sneaking goes, too. I'd hate for this game to turn into a hack and slasher.At least we know they still have a lot of work to do on it, so hopefully that means they'll take the time to perfect it before they release it.

Piko
12-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Not sure how involved Kojima's going to be now. And I'm not expecting much sneaking.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Which is a major bummer. :/ But you never know. I have yet to be let down my a Metal Gear game, so I'm hoping this'll shape itself up.

But I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm a Metal Gear fanboy and will probably buy whatever installments come out that I can actually play. :P

liquidcalm
12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
watching the trailer for rising I was reminded of the 'reworked' cutscenes from Twin Snakes. Not a good thing...

Piko
12-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Dated? Because Twin Snakes was amazing...

liquidcalm
12-11-2011, 06:22 PM
not dated, just a little.. 'off the wall' even for MGS. Like Snake doging bullets and slapping his head is exaggerated freak outs. None of which happened in the original or in gameplay.. I know they were re-done by the guy who directed Verses, which I liked, but it didn't really fit for me.

The game itself was fine, it was MGS1 with MGS2's graphics, but the new cutscenes felt at odds with everything else. Thats how I feel about the Rising trailer..

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
As much as I hate to say it about an Metal Gear game, I think this article pretty much nails it. I'll still end up buying it, just because this is one franchise I'll bend over backwards for, and the action looks really sweet, but there's a good chance it won't hold up to what makes a Metal Gear game.

IGN: Revengeance Will Ruin Metal Gear Solid (http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1214596p1.html)

Space Suicide
01-06-2012, 08:55 AM
I got the HD Collection last weekend. I have always loved this series, one of my top for a favorite game series. I've played and beat every one ever released minus Peace Walker and MGS4. Glad I can do that now for Peace Walker.

Psycho Mantis, Vamp and The Fury are my favorite bosses.

Piko
01-06-2012, 10:21 AM
How's the remastering look on these? MGS3 looked amazing to begin with. Could probably fool people into thinking it was a PS3 game. I'd imagine just a little cleanup on that one. But what about MGS2? Because that's actually the one I'm curious about. Do they translate well in the current-gen. Amazing ggames regardless though. I have Peace Walker on PSP, and it was iffy... Good moments, then some not so good moments. Certainly different.

WorzelG
02-06-2012, 09:03 AM
As much as I hate to say it about an Metal Gear game, I think this article pretty much nails it. I'll still end up buying it, just because this is one franchise I'll bend over backwards for, and the action looks really sweet, but there's a good chance it won't hold up to what makes a Metal Gear game.

IGN: Revengeance Will Ruin Metal Gear Solid (http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1214596p1.html)

What it says in
the article doesn't bother me, I didn't mind Raiden in MGS2, love Snake but don't 'relate' to him particularly. It's always been the gameplay that I love about this franchise, the sneaking around etc, I also tend to skip most of the cinematic scenes once I've seen them once, if I want to watch a film, I'll just watch a film, with a game I want to be in control

The special missions in MGS2 substance were genius as was the ape extra in MGS3

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Definitely! The bonus stuff is really great. And I really don't mind Raiden at all. I just don't think that there's any way that Rising will be able to pull off the drama (no matter how over the top it was) that the Solid games have. But Kojima knows this, and I think he's even said that this game's mainly just meant to be a fun, different, action-based addition to the franchise. That's where I think the article had it right that it's way off the reservation even in the world of Metal Gear, but I don't think it's necessarily a sign of the end of the entire franchise or anything. Just a little spur off into different territory until (if ever) we get another "serious" game.

But if Rising brings in new fans, they're probably going to get some serious shock when they go back to play any of the previous games and realize that you can only even equip a sword in one of them, and in the latter portion of the game. :P (I STILL love using that thing ever chance I get.)

owinn
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
What it says in
the article doesn't bother me, I didn't mind Raiden in MGS2, love Snake but don't 'relate' to him particularly. It's always been the gameplay that I love about this franchise, the sneaking around etc, I also tend to skip most of the cinematic scenes once I've seen them once, if I want to watch a film, I'll just watch a film, with a game I want to be in control

The special missions in MGS2 substance were genius as was the ape extra in MGS3

Doesn't bother me either and sure as hell won't bother the game's Japanese audience of whom I'm sure Konami are far more interested in pleasing here. It seems to me there is a large proportion of western reviewers who have completely forgotten the roots of these games, they've even forgotten that these games weren't Tom Clancy games, they were absurdities - yes they were set on a realistic stage of battle but that was about it and although MGS was a nod to western action movies it was by and large a very Eastern affair - this new game will be no exception and it's going to be done in the style of game I particularly enjoy and have been thirsting for since Bayonetta. It's going to be awesome. Well, hopefully.

The other element of that article which I found ridiculous is that Raiden kicking Metal Gear ass is going to make an iconic character like Snake look positively frail in comparison - this is just because they don't like Raiden as a character which is really petty. If this game was starring a character like Gray Fox they'd be all over it, and that's the level of critiquing we're looking at here.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
So, uhhh...4.30.2012, something's going on.

http://metalgearsolid.com/

Featuring a video using what sounds like an altered version of a Ghosts track (though I don't know what number it is).

Space Suicide
04-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I have my friend's copy of MGS4, I should play and beat that shit finally eh?

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Maybe. :P Actually, I've got no idea exactly how much Rising will have to do with MGS4. First it was supposed to take place before MGS4, and now I guess it takes place after? Or maybe I have that backwards...

But yeah! I loved MGS4. It gets a lotta crap for basically being a huge movie with a few interactive moments in between cutscenes, but I still love it. Make sure you've got plenty of spare time to play it, if you want to watch all the cutscenes and all that stuff.

Space Suicide
04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Maybe. :P Actually, I've got no idea exactly how much Rising will have to do with MGS4. First it was supposed to take place before MGS4, and now I guess it takes place after? Or maybe I have that backwards...

But yeah! I loved MGS4. It gets a lotta crap for basically being a huge movie with a few interactive moments in between cutscenes, but I still love it. Make sure you've got plenty of spare time to play it, if you want to watch all the cutscenes and all that stuff.

I plan to. I have done so with every MGS game I've ever played. I wish they'd path the trophies like they mentioned before but nope, never.

Rising takes place after MGS4 I just read. It's a separate entity but involved with the universe, it looks like a fun hack and slash action game with a familiar character. I'll buy it for sure, nice change of pace and I'm sure it'll be cool.

Piko
04-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Didn't seem like it had anything to do with the series. Makes no sense if it takes place after MGS4, which is why I figure it non-canon. But hopefully they scrap that stupid Revengeance title.

nemesiswontdie
04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
nicer graphics aside, Twin Snakes isn't *that* great. It's worth a play for sure, but I found playing the original still feels better. Then again the gamecube controller really didn't fit the game at all.

The HD collection isn't out till next year over here, I'll be getting it for sure though, can't wait to give Peace Walker a proper go, I just couldn't get into it on psp.

I absolutely LOVE MGS1. It was the first game I ever beat. I played the hell out of the demo of it on the PS1 Underground disk when I first got my PS1. My mom got sick and tired of watching me replay the dock and helipad level that she went out to like 3 different Wal-Marts around Kansas City and bought me the game.
I have a major attachment and love for the original MGS1. It made me happy, made me sad and mad (RIP Gray Fox, my favorite character in all of MGS series) the story just sucked me in. I still play it at least 3 times a year.

But Twin Snakes in my opinion is a disgrace. I mean, MGS is obviously over the top but they took it a bit too far for my taste. Doing a back flip and jumping on his PSG-1 then doing a full 360 degree turn and shoots Sniper Wolf? mmmmm nope.
The voice acting is just god awful in Twin Snakes. If you can, look for a video of Twin Snakes when you find out
that Master Miller is actually Liquid
Campbell's voice is just so...uninteresting for lack of better words. In the original MGS1, he sounds shocked and freaked out, in Twin Snakes, it's just like he doesn't give a damn.

A major flaw in Twin Snakes is it's gameplay. First person shooting mode should not be used in that game. The environments in MGS1 are too...simple to say the least for first person shooting. It makes the game WAY too easy. It works great in MGS2 (my least favorite MGS) and MGS3 (my second favorite MGS game) and it was alright in MGS4, but it just doesn't work out for MGS1 levels in my opinion.

I hate Twin Snakes. I honestly hate it. Kojima didn't even have anything to do with Twin Snakes either. That may be part of the reason that it sucked so much.

As for the HD collection. I went to the midnight release (threw the Gamestop employee off when he handed me a copy of MW3 and I told him no. He just looked at me with this wondering face and I said "MGS: HD")
The HD collection is great. Right when I popped it in, I went straight to MGS3 and it blew me away. After playing it a month before on my PS2 (Subsistence) on Euro Extreme and it having decent graphics (good for PS2) but the environment having this blurr effect to it kind of threw me off, but once I landed in the jungle in MGS3 on the HD Collection, it just blew me away. I could see everything crystal clear. The graphics just raised the bar for me on that game. I loved it.

I didn't play much of MGS2 because I honestly don't like MGS2. It's not because of Raiden or anything. I just don't like it. It doesn't feel right to me. I can't explain it. The lack of unique bosses sucked (Fat Man? Really?) and the games all around feel of it I just don't like.

I didn't get far in Peace Walker. I picked up Saints Row: The Third a week after the MGS HD collection came out and I ended up getting side tracked with that but since I played SR3 I haven't really been in a gaming mood. Not sure what's going on besides my personal problems, but I'm not feeling the 'gaming scene' so much except for me playing MGS1 and MGS1: VR Missions.

Speaking of which. Has anyone even played the MGS1 VR Missions (the actual full 300 mission game, not the 10 or 20 sampler on the MGS1 disk)? It's pretty fun. There are weapon specific missions, sneaking missions, mystery missions and even 3 missions were you play as Gray Fox. The Gray Fox missions are by far the best thing about that game. You only get 3 missions which suck, but those 3 missions are awesome. The first mission is you got to slice 15 wooden stands. The second mission is kill 30 genome soldiers and the 3rd mission is to kill Solid Snake (he's dressed up like a genome soldier). It's a fun game to waste time on if you feel like playing a game. Also if you 100% complete the game, you get concept art for Metal Gear Ray.

As for the art book, I wanted it, but didn't have the money for it at the time. I love Yoji Shinkawas art work. He's a influence on my artwork that I do. His character designs and his shading is just amazing. I love it and thanks to him, we have Metal Gear Rex which is the best Metal Gear (obviously lol. But then again, I'm an MGS1 fanboy) and I think he also did the art design for Metal Gear Ray too.

Has anyone ever completed Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2? I beat Metal Gear on my old phone when T-Mobile had it for sale. Took me about a month to beat it but I did it. I'm only about 5 minutes into Metal Gear 2 and so far, it's already better than MG1.

Long post is long. So have a picture :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/mxodraco/Metal%20Gear%20Solid/Gray_Fox_Concept.jpg

chris
04-26-2012, 12:16 AM
When I last looked into this about a year ago, there was a tentative release date of dec 2012. Is that still the case?

liquidcalm
04-26-2012, 02:09 AM
no idea.. its all gone quiet again.. I would guess E3 time is when (if) we hear anything new.
Might even hear what Kojima is up to with that Fox Engine of his.

Jinsai
04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Holy shit that teaser movie sucked!

liquidcalm
04-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah, I spoke too soon. and yes it did suck.

Piko
04-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Now I'm scared to bother watching it. Kojima canned it for a reason. Sucks, but it's something I could've accepted. Game will probably be fun. My expectations of a story are low to virtually nonexistent at this point.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Yeeeah...I had a feeling it would be kinda diluted into some kinda hack-n-slasher without substance, but with that video...Oi. I really hope that they're not just gonna show the full version of it on the 30th. If that's the only thing they're planning on doing, I might actually be disappointed.

I could walk upstairs right now with my younger brother and make a better trailer than that on the fly with my dad's handheld camera and Windows Movie Maker.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
...Yup. So far I'm pretty disappointed. :S I'm all for making fun hack n slash games, but this "campaign" they're pushing isn't very promising.

By the way, today they just uploaded another minute-long video.

xmd 5a
04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Recently finished MGS2 HD Edition, which was my first real experience with the series (I bought a cheap copy of it for the PS2 a couple of year back, but subsequently lost it :/ ). The controls were almost impenetrable at first, but I almost got the hang of them by the end of the game. I found Big Shell a bit repetitive and had to force myself through some parts, but the crazy story stuff that happens once you leave was totally worth it. Tried out MGS3 and PEACE WALKER, both of which seem to have some interesting gameplay mechanics. Once my backlog is a big smaller I'll come back to them for sure.

nemesiswontdie
05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Not sure if anyone here has seen or is interested in the new Uniqlo Metal Gear Solid 25th anniversary shirts. They're really cool too.
http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/japanese/info/index.php?d=201203&id=222

I already bought 2 of them.

I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-UNIQLO-Metal-Gear-Solid-25th-Anniversary-PS1-MGS-Cover-Print-Red-Tee-/380431311971?pt=US_Mens_Tshirts&var=&hash=item5893792463#ht_659wt_905

And my favorite one :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-UNIQLO-Metal-Gear-Solid-25th-Anniversary-Cyborg-Ninja-Gray-Tee-/380431204330?pt=US_Mens_Tshirts&var=&hash=item5893777fea#ht_1093wt_905

Dat Gray Fox shirt <3.

I really wanted the MSX Metal Gear shirt with Snake parachuting down the shirt and climbing up the back, but with $10 shipping (from eBay seller) these 2 shirts alone cost me about $63 together.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-17-2012, 04:26 PM
So, the "video data that was for some reason stored in an arm" is all decrypted and whatever. (That shit doesn't even make sense for Metal Gear.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=njZNPSwJBV0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njZNPSwJBV0)

I REALLY want this to be a good game. I do. I'm sure it'll be a fun slasher. But this promotional thing is really disappointing, especially since they hired a bald Nicolas Cage look-alike to play Raiden. I'm definitely less hyped for a new Metal Gear game than I thought I would be. :\ Playing this is gonna feel really weird.

chris
05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
This might be heresy for this series, but I try not to put too much stock in the storyline of any game. For me, it's all about the gameplay and that's about it. if I want a good story I'll watch a movie. This series does make that more problematic though since like half of every game is cutscenes.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-18-2012, 05:08 AM
But this is a franchise that I've always kinda relied on for an interesting story. :P Sure, MGS4 was kinda a rush job at explaining everything in one go, but building up to all of that after all the previous games was what I liked. I felt like it was the last time hanging around with a bunch of friends by the end of the game. I'm just glad that this is kind of being considered nothing more than a spin-off, and not MGS5. If this was going to be MGS5, I think I would have actually cried, haha. It'll be fun for what it is, but kinda like you said, I'm gonna try to not look too far into it, either.

WorzelG
05-18-2012, 06:33 AM
^^^i pretty much cut off all the cut scenes as soon as they start, I can probably read the story on wikipedia if I really wanted to. I'm pretty much just about gameplay too

owinn
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
So, the "video data that was for some reason stored in an arm" is all decrypted and whatever. (That shit doesn't even make sense for Metal Gear.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=njZNPSwJBV0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njZNPSwJBV0)

I REALLY want this to be a good game. I do. I'm sure it'll be a fun slasher. But this promotional thing is really disappointing, especially since they hired a bald Nicolas Cage look-alike to play Raiden. I'm definitely less hyped for a new Metal Gear game than I thought I would be. :\ Playing this is gonna feel really weird.

Wow, this is fucking terrible. It's almost as if they want to emulate Call of Duty Black Ops interrogation sequences but Konami are failing badly. This would probably be okay if it was 1994 but that's the era this kind of low budget sci-fi channel crap should stay.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Pretty much! I was expecting something better than this. Even if it were just like, a full 45 second clip from the game of Raiden standing there facing away from the camera and saying something cool. That would be SO much better than this.

nemesiswontdie
05-19-2012, 03:31 AM
What the fuck did I just watch?

Space Suicide
05-20-2012, 01:05 PM
What relevance does that have to Metal Gear, or even Reveangance? Fucking garbage!

nemesiswontdie
05-21-2012, 07:07 AM
I made my decision.

I'm not buying Rising or whatever it's called now. I'll get it through Gamefly.

Hey, Kojima!

Where's my SNATCHER remake?

kdrcraig
05-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I made that decision the first time I saw that Raiden was the main character.

nemesiswontdie
05-22-2012, 02:13 AM
I don't mind Raiden. I mean, he's not Gray Fox that's for damn sure. But he's alright to say the most.

Jinsai
05-22-2012, 02:35 AM
worst teaser campaign ever

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4lkq8uIg-8&list=UUwkUBN7foWU9GcY5cFmso-Q&index=2&feature=plcp

That alone looked better than any single promo video they put out recently. But I still don't know.

xmd 5a
05-24-2012, 04:26 PM
The involvement of Platinum Games is the only thing keeping me (cautiously) excited about this game.

Space Suicide
05-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Not a bad menu screen demo.

Piko
05-25-2012, 05:01 PM
What they need to do is stop releasing these stupid, medicore promos and actually show us what this is about. Because so far everything they've shown just about has left a bad taste in my mouth, and i'm certainly not the only one. Who knows? It could be amazing. But the way they've made it look so far, it looks like utter garbage. Short version - They're making themselves and the game look bad. I can accept it being non-canon, but at least make some sense... If they can make an Emo Dante non-canon, they can do the same for Raiden.

And believe it or not, i've never really been much of a Raiden-hater. I had kept hearing he was more whiney than Tidus (FFX), but no, he's not nearly as bad (although I don't mind either character). He was pretty badass in MGS4 though... Hate him, or not.

But I mostly worry about the plot making zero sense what so ever to anything. If it's non-canon, and you can just cut a bunch of people up for the hell of it, whatever. But don't try to sell me some nonsense that this takes place AFTER MGS4. Anyone who's played that one knows full well how much of a gigantic contradiction that is.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Okay. The new trailer they have for this (presumably what they'll be showing at E3) looks pretty fuckin' cool. Why didn't they show clips of THIS as promotion instead? Who came up with that idea?

Edit - Here's a youtube link to the trailer itself, but I'll leave the link the pre-E3 video in case anyone wants to watch that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_iAzKbco_U

http://events.konami.com/ (skip to about 15:25) There's some more info on Rising before and after that clip, though.

Also, a new Mega64 skit involving Raiden looking for employment, a few more clips from Rising, and the announcement of a demo of Rising being included with the Zone of the Enders HD Collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9nInG2GfM

The use of "Wrong" seems a bit out of place, though. I'm not really digging it at all. But on the other hand, this DOES look like it could be a really fun hack and slasher for the MGS series. And that's really all I'm expecting from this, because I still have that gut feeling that we're not going to get anything with nearly the same substance as previous Metal Gears. But for what it is, it looks like it could be good.

Consider my faith in this game (very) cautiously restored, for now.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Looks like they've announced our new Metal Gear game! Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. It'll follow Big Boss again, and it'll be open-world, too.

http://kotaku.com/5939164/konami-reveals-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-it-looks-fxxking-hot

I think I'm more excited for this than Rising. I just hope we get an official trailer soon.

Piko
08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Assuming Kojima has a hand in it, it should be.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Assuming Kojima has a hand in it, it should be.

It sounds like he did, to me. I mean, surely, he had to be keeping busy with something Metal Gear related lately. I don't know how much time he had to give to the MGS or ZOE HD collections, or to Rising, but considering he seemed to only supervise Rising, I'm sure this was what he was focusing on over the last several months.

I think I'm really just excited to hear that sneaking is gonna play a big role in MGS again. A hack-and-slasher MGS would be great in its own way, but stealth and subtlety defines Metal Gear. And the fact that we're playing Big Boss again is pretty neat. He's a great character.

SM Rollinger
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Awesome, just awesome. MGS3 and Peace Walker were 2 of my all time favorite games. Judging by the gear Big Boss is holding, this is gonna be another cold war era game. I just cant get enough of that stuff! Im hoping they are building on foundation of Peace Walker, with its massive meta-game system of managing Outer Heaven. Anyways, im way more excited for this than Revengance. Dont get me wong, Raiden is a badass, but im not a fan of Devil May Cry style hack and slash games.

Jinsai
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
just found out that Metal Gear Solid 4 now has trophies?

Nifty. I'm now strangely more interested in playing through that game again than I am in Rising.

Space Suicide
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Nifty. I'm now strangely more interested in playing through that game again than I am in Rising.

I heard it would get trophy support in August and glad to hear it confirmed. I'll have to start playing it again.

Piko
08-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah, that bumped it up on my replay list. Haven't played it since launch... geez.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Yup! I hadn't been following that at all, so when it was finally announced, it was kind out of nowhere for me.

Awesome, just awesome. MGS3 and Peace Walker were 2 of my all time favorite games. Judging by the gear Big Boss is holding, this is gonna be another cold war era game. I just cant get enough of that stuff! Im hoping they are building on foundation of Peace Walker, with its massive meta-game system of managing Outer Heaven. Anyways, im way more excited for this than Revengance. Dont get me wong, Raiden is a badass, but im not a fan of Devil May Cry style hack and slash games.

I just realized I STILL haven't played Peace Walker. I loved Big Boss in MGS3, though. I think I'll jump into that as soon as I finish some homework.

But man, between finding time to play Peace Walker and replay MGS4 for the millionth time, plus probably playing MGS 1, 2, and 3 to get warmed up for Rising, AND the announcement of Ground Zeroes, the next year or so is gonna be pretty MGS heavy again. I haven't played this much Metal Gear since right around when MGS 4 came out.

OH. And then there's this.

http://www.examiner.com/article/metal-gear-solid-movie-is-officially-announced

I'm curiously excited, for sure, but I don't wanna make any big judgements until we find out more about the movie. I think it could be possible, but...but man, it'd be REALLY tricky. A lot of things can go wrong if they try bringing some of the common MGS motifs and memes onto the big screen. I trust that Kojima will help keep things in check, but I'll reserve judgement.

inb4 MGS 4 movie jokes. :P

Speaking of which, I think this is hilarious. I love these guys, and they have their friend Woolie with them, just giving commentary over cutscenes from different games (It's just one of the different shows they do, all the rest involve gameplay or animation). They put up a poll asking which game they should watch next from a selection, and guess which game blew the others out of the water? They're only on part 4, each video about 30 minutes long, and they're not even done with Act 2 yet. But the commentary's more than them bickering and talking about their opinions, it's also really informative, because they've all been MGS fans for years. Anyway, it's a really good way to kill time. :D I don't miss an episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXZrbWCnkwc

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Alright. The trailer for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4PPYC2nQg

More info here: http://www.metalgearsolid.com/events/pax2012/

Piko
09-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Dammit, Kojima, just take my money. And I'm a huge Big Boss fan as well. I struggled in MGS3 and never finished Peace Walker. Might have to get the HD collection now...

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Heh, I'm waiting to play through 2 and 3 again before I play Peace Walker. I just wanna get those two out of the way since I'm still kinda familiar with all the collectables and stuff. Just get them knocked out of the way before I dive into any new games, let alone new Metal Gear.

Right now, I'm playing through MGS 2 a second time. First playthrough is always just killing people and having fun. Second one? Zero kills, zero alerts, zero deathsand Game Over if seen by the enemy. :P One hard, at least. Maybe I'll try it on Extreme in the future.

liquidcalm
09-02-2012, 05:41 AM
holy shit Ground Zeroes looks awesome... I kinda feel its going to work out a lot like Peace Walker 2, with mother base and things, and Kojima was saying its the prologue to MGS5, So I'm thinking it will probably be similar to PW.. but then that ended up a HUGE game. Crazy.
Can't wait. If that is playing on current gen consoles. Whoa. If not, well.. the next gen sure looks purty.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Apparently, Kojima's also interested in doing a full-length game revolving around The Boss someday. That could be pretty cool...

Piko
09-02-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd love to see more about The Boss. What I REALLY want to see is the clash between Big Boss and Zero. That's where the series really took momentum. Foxhound, etc.

Space Suicide
09-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Ground Zeroes > Revengeance

I'll get it. The graphics look beautiful.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Well, there's a new trailer out that was shown at TGS 2012.

It basically proves that this game is at least gonna be fucking intense on the action. (I'd post a link, but this iPod doesn't like it when I do that.)

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Double post for pretty sweet trailer. I'm still kinda siding with Ground Zeroes as my most anticipated Metal Gear release on the way, but I'll admit that the trailers for Rising keep getting better and better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlApd1ZyHw&feature=g-all-u

WorzelG
09-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Right now, I'm playing through MGS 2 a second time. First playthrough is always just killing people and having fun. Second one? Zero kills, zero alerts, zero deathsand Game Over if seen by the enemy. :P One hard, at least. Maybe I'll try it on Extreme in the future.

I have never managed to get past that twat Fat Man on the hard level, I HATE him

BrokenSpiral
10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm tired of them trying to put all this action into the MGS games. Where's the sneaking element? I played through 4 again the other day and its pretty awful. The gameplay to cut scene ratio is horrendous. I would love a game more like MGS1. And do we have to keep playing as some form of old snake? Bring back young snake. And cut out half the cut scenes

WorzelG
10-10-2012, 03:20 AM
I wasn't keen on 4 either, I never finished it

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-29-2012, 02:10 PM
I am super stoked for the Rising demo. It's part of my motivation for getting the ZOE HD collection in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna play the HELL out of ZOE, but the Rising demo is icing on the robotic cake. I hope it's a fairly diverse demo in regards to what we can expect from the game. I wouldn't want everything to be given away, though.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Just finished the demo. It was pretty fun! The "cut anything" mechanic is fun to play with. The demo opens up with a small VR mission section (and yes, there are tables of watermelons for you to cut!) to brush you up on the controls, but then goes right into part of the story, including a boss fight. You can probably watch any of the videos online covering it if you want the details.

All in all, I like it! It's different for Metal Gear, but it's fun in its own right. Definitely worth checking out if you wanna get a feel for the game.

The Becoming
12-08-2012, 12:40 AM
I don't know if anyone watched Spike's Video Game Awards tonight, but they showed a trailer for a new game called The Phantom Pain. Apparently this is an elaborate troll by Kojima and it's actually MGS5. Here's the forum over at NeoGAF where it's being discussed. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503254

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Great. That thread/the trailer has my MGS jimmies all kinds of rustled now! It'd be really cool if MGS5 was one of the spearhead games for the PS4.

ghostaustin
12-08-2012, 12:54 PM
I have a feeling that Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are both a part of the same game. Kojima said that Ground Zeroes is the prologue to MGS5, but maybe he meant that in the same sense that the Tanker is the prologue to the Plant, and Virtuous Mission is the prologue to Snake Eater. He also mentioned something about being captured in GZ means breaking out of prison, so maybe one of the large scale boss battles leads to Big Boss being maimed and having to find his way out of this hospital.

or maybe it's a simulation, who fucking knows.

Space Suicide
12-08-2012, 01:19 PM
or maybe it's a simulation, who fucking knows.

Hideo Kojima.

Sorry, had to.

Piko
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Well, there's still that Project Ogre that no one really knows anything about. He claims it's something different though.. Should be interesting either way.

ghostaustin
12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
http://media.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/files/2012/12/The-Phantom-Pain-Metal-Gear-Solid-5-3.jpg

so, in this pic Snake has a hook for an arm before he gets to the hospital. Not a huge revelation I guess, but that means something terrible happened before this Phantom Pain incident.

wizfan
12-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Well, there's still that Project Ogre that no one really knows anything about. He claims it's something different though.. Should be interesting either way.

I thought Project Ogre was Ground Zeroes?

EDIT: Nevermind, http://www.twitlonger.com/show/j53jdm

Piko
12-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Maybe Ground Zeroes takes place in different time periods? It's obviously Big Boss in that trailer. The prosthetic arm seems weird though. Would make sense if maybe he lost a hand after losing to Snake. Or maybe they give him a prosthetic hand at some point. I think its just a new Trailer for Ground Zeroes. The fake studio name and everything else just seems weird.

Aladdinsanity
12-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Something interesting discussed in the NeoGAF thread linked above -- with the flying whale in the trailer and the completely bogus studio named "Moby Dick", it can give the impression of parallels being drawn between Ahab and Big Boss, both of whom suffer from monomania. The footage could be a first-person perspective of Big Boss's psychological decent, with all the various characters and symbolism already seen in his backstory.

Just my two cents.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Huh...An interesting collection/interpretation of all the Phantom Pain info, with video.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/divinediablo/2012/12/08/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-research

Space Suicide
12-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Started Metal Gear Solid 4 again today. Here's to hoping I finish it and/or stay invested with interest to get farther.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-11-2012, 05:15 AM
One of the things I wanna do over break is marathon MGS, just for kicks, and kinda to prep for Rising. 1, 2, 3, Peace Walker, and 4. I have yet to play Peace Walker at all, and it's been years since I had MGS1 available to me, so I'm gonna get that as soon as finals are done. And after I drink my semester sorrows away Friday night.

ghostaustin
12-11-2012, 11:04 AM
http://kotaku.com/5967442/is-there-really-a-hidden-message-in-these-phantom-pain-screenshots

now these people are just getting silly. Yes, there's Big Boss, yes, it looks like the Fox Engine, two phantoms, volgin, psycho mantis, etc. Yes, it's Metal Gear. How much deeper do these people think the trailer gets?

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-11-2012, 11:10 AM
It's mainly all the hype. Every gaming news outlet is gonna milk the hell out of it until the first bit of official news rolls along to destroy any speculation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited, but I've seen at least five Phantom Pain articles in the last 24 hours alone, and two of them were from the same place, just renamed articles.

Space Suicide
01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Pre-order shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpY3T1yWg5A&amp;feature=player_embedded

Don't know why they just can't be in game unlocks? Only one worth having is the Gray Fox skin (which is from Gamestop).

Space Suicide
01-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Demo came out today. Too overly difficult for my tastes or maybe I just suck. The combat system seems too over thought in my opinion.

I don't mind a challenge in a game but the boss fight was too hard for me to even get to 85% health. Don't really get the parrying system and how to time it, didn't really explain in the provided tutorial.

I'll probably pass on this game for awhile, even if I bother getting it really.

Jinsai
01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
ummmm.... well, I've only made it past the tutorial, but I have a hard time believing this is going to be my kind of thing.

So, now that I officially feel this way, it's time to say that Revengeance is the stupidest thing they could have possibly named this game.

PS: To parry, you point your left control stick towards the attacking enemy and hit the square button at the point of impact

Space Suicide
01-22-2013, 09:03 PM
ummmm.... well, I've only made it past the tutorial, but I have a hard time believing this is going to be my kind of thing.

So, now that I officially feel this way, it's time to say that Revengeance is the stupidest thing they could have possibly named this game.

PS: To parry, you point your left control stick towards the attacking enemy and hit the square button at the point of impact

Thanks, they just said left stick and X (I'm on Xbox). Didn't say much about it.

I'm not a huge fan of it after playing it. The mode to intiate slow-motion slicing is kinda awkward and the overall combat was a bit....meh.

Jinsai
01-22-2013, 11:13 PM
It mentions (really fast during the first fight) how to perform the parry move. It's incredibly easy to miss.

I'm not sure about this one, but in general I'm a pretty big fan of Platinum Games, so I'll at least be renting this one. At the very least, it'll be the "biggest" thing they've put out. I've warmed up to it a bit by playing the demo. Maybe I'll try it again and see if I get a better grasp on the controls.

Wretchedest
01-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Yeah when I got the demo with ZOE that parry was almost a deal breaker until I finally figure it out.... still .... its kind of dumb...

Love the cut shit up mechanic though. I hope they take that kind of thing somewhere in the next generation.

Piko
01-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Played a few minutes of the demo this morning. Very rough around the edges. Going to hope it grows on me some. I was automatically put off by on how much they couldn't get parrying right. If all fails, I'll just cancel my reserve and put it towards Bioshock or Injustice.

ghostaustin
01-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Once I figured out the parrying (you have to hold X/Square somewhat in preparation of the attack, like you're remaining stiff in anticipation of impact) I felt like I total badass. I also spent a lot of time listening to the codec conversations, which thankfully have a lot of references to 2 and 4, so they're not totally abandoning the story here. I wouldn't be surprised if some events from the Plant come back to haunt Raiden in this one. and christ, the ways you can slice dudes up gets pretty nasty, especially when you make one good diagonal slice across the torso and watch it fall off.

I'm super pumped for this game! and I'm actually surprised that more people aren't.

Space Suicide
01-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Once I figured out the parrying (you have to hold X/Square somewhat in preparation of the attack, like you're remaining stiff in anticipation of impact) I felt like I total badass. I also spent a lot of time listening to the codec conversations, which thankfully have a lot of references to 2 and 4, so they're not totally abandoning the story here. I wouldn't be surprised if some events from the Plant come back to haunt Raiden in this one. and christ, the ways you can slice dudes up gets pretty nasty, especially when you make one good diagonal slice across the torso and watch it fall off.

I'm super pumped for this game! and I'm actually surprised that more people aren't.

I was initially and felt a bit more reserved after more information and those god awful live action trailers came out. My faith was restored by gameplay videos and more information. This demo dashed it.

The game has a cool style and I really enjoy the blade mode aspect but to me, it seems like they over thought the combat and mechanics and made them overly difficult when they shouldn't have been. Parrying, as in every game is about timing, was abysmal to me in this demo. I am decently paced in Devil May Cry and Tekken to parry moves and pull off counter attacks but in MGR I didn't have a single prayer at doing it properly once.

I'll still give it another shot and try the demo again after some tips you all gave me but sadly I don't think this will warrant a day one, full price purchase from me.

spiralout
01-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Demo came out today. Too overly difficult for my tastes or maybe I just suck. The combat system seems too over thought in my opinion.

I don't mind a challenge in a game but the boss fight was too hard for me to even get to 85% health. Don't really get the parrying system and how to time it, didn't really explain in the provided tutorial.

Played the demo last night. Its goddamn hard, tutorial doesn't teach much other than blade time. I also have a hard time parrying, and as far as the boss fight, I must've restarted it about 10 times before I quit, got it down to about 30% each time.

I really want to like this game because I love metal gear. Will try again tonight.

Jinsai
01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
after messing with the demo a bit, the only thing that still concerns me is the implementation of "blade mode." It seems like it will be constantly frustrating unless they tweak it a bit.

Space Suicide
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
after messing with the demo a bit, the only thing that still concerns me is the implementation of "blade mode." It seems like it will be constantly frustrating unless they tweak it a bit.

They did probably.
(http://kotaku.com/5980442/the-full-metal-gear-rising-will-probably-feel-quite-different-from-the-demos)

Denied, suckah!

I actually found how to be decently good at parrying and I've really fine tuned how to play with my style after a dozen (yikes) playthroughs of the demo to where I dominate all enemies in it. The boss is the only thing where I falter, so I guess it's not as bad as I made it to be.

Either way, I became a hypocrite and pre-ordered it. Thanks eBay money!

ghostaustin
02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Fun fact: If you wait for the first three enemies to charge at you, then parry their attack, you can go into blade mode and decapitate all three in one slice =D

Also, aside from the first Gecko fight, you can beat the demo without setting off an alert. I definitely did not expect much stealth from this game, so now I'm even more excited.

Space Suicide
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
As usual, Sony withholds content as a special deal that holds exclusivity to the Playstation for 30 VR Missions. (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/04/metal-gear-rising-gets-exclusive-vr-missions-on-ps3/)

As usual, Xbox passed over...cool.

liquidcalm
02-13-2013, 03:53 PM
I would hardly say its 'as usual', both companies pull the 'exclusive DLC/content' card nearly all the time. Frustrating though it maybe...

Piko
02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Eh, probably nothing worth bragging about. I'm sure

Space Suicide
02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
I would hardly say its 'as usual', both companies pull the 'exclusive DLC/content' card nearly all the time. Frustrating though it maybe...

Xbox tends to get timed exclusives, PS gets full on permanent exclusives that are never released.

The issue really isn't a big deal to me as I have both systems but I only buy exclusive titles on the PS3. PS's track record with exclusives over Xbox's is a huge overhaul for games I enjoy:

Assassin's Creed games have bonus missions for PS3 only
Far Cry 3 will have exclusive DLC co-op chapters Xbox won't ever get
LA Noire had Consul's Traffic Case
etc.

Eh, probably nothing worth bragging about. I'm sure

I'm inclined to agree actually.

liquidcalm
02-14-2013, 05:47 AM
As a PS3 owner in 2007, it was rare to even get a decent version of a cross platform game or the game at all!... not justifying locked DLC in any way, but MS made a lot of big deals to keep content from ps3 gamers early on this gen, it really worked to their favor too and its taken til the dawn of a new gen to see Sony catch up (which is what they did this whole cycle it seems)
It's still shitty and I hope it stops because that 'grass is greener' feeling should not impact on a game you play for fun. I'm sure ps3 gamers will not have 10% more fun with Rising than 360 gamers so they should just cut it out.

Space Suicide
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVv2omGGZQ8

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots skin available on Launch for $1.99 aka 160 MSP. Bit overpriced and should be free like in Japan but I'll still buy.

ghostaustin
02-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Can't I just like... play the fucking game and unlock it like I used to? I'd rather show how much I love the game by collecting all the dog tags (or left hands) than by shilling out more money for a game that's already overpriced.

spiralout
02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Both Gamespot and IGN gave it an 8.5.

I just picked up my copy and am stoked to play it after work tonight!

Space Suicide
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Game rules but it's hard as hell.

Loved the Mistral boss fight.

konkelo
02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I downloaded the demo for the Revengeance a while ago and I still haven't played it. Must fix the situation as soon as I can! I'll definitely buy it when I just get some money.

About the MGS games, these are easily my favourite games of all! All of them have been really great, even Peace Walker which was different in good ways. The second one might be my favourite, maybe because it was the first MGS that I ever played.

Space Suicide
02-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Look what I found in my PS shelf stash. I will probably play it too since Rising came out and I'm in the mood.

http://i.imgur.com/1pdkRgN.jpg

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Game rules but it's hard as hell.

Loved the Mistral boss fight.

It was a pain in the ASS until I figured out parrying. I kinda skipped a few instructions, so I was randomly pushing buttons for a while until I gave up and checked it out in the tutorial again. The game's really fun, controls are smooth, the story is a total Metal Gear story. I approve so far. I'm far from the ending, but if they decide to do a sequel down the road, I think I'd be on board.

I'm just past the Mistral fight, which was indeed pretty awesome. :P I've got a snow day tomorrow and the rest of the weekend to play this bad boy. If finances allow, I might end up dropping cash on the Limited Edition. That lamp is SO awesome, I just wish it wasn't so pricy. But after seeing its size and seeing it in action, I'm a little more tempted. We'll see!

spiralout
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Ahhh....Monsoon is kicking my ass right now. Taking a small break before I throw my controller through the TV.

nemesiswontdie
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Look what I found in my PS shelf stash. I will probably play it too since Rising came out and I'm in the mood.

http://i.imgur.com/1pdkRgN.jpg

My favorite game of all time. I even still have my MGS1 figures from when I was a kid. My Gray Fox figure sits right in front of my NIN collection. I'll pop in MGS1 every few months just to relive it. It really is my favorite game ever. Can't get enough of it. I love MGS3, but to me, the original MGS1 is the best.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Goood, I'm so glad Metal Gear Rising turned out so awesome. It's impossible not to feel like a badass, even when you ragequit while fighting Sundowner.

FUCK YOU, OLD MAN!

spiralout
02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Goood, I'm so glad Metal Gear Rising turned out so awesome. It's impossible not to feel like a badass, even when you ragequit while fighting Sundowner.

FUCK YOU, OLD MAN!

I absolutely agree with everything in your post.

Will attempt to beat Sundowner again tonight.

Ruined
03-02-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm stuck on the Sam Rodriguez boss fight (I get him down to around 20% health and fail). I have a love/hate relationship with this game as it's got a good story and cool graphics but the controls are hit & miss (no pun intended): I manage to get through the boss fights, doing my own thing. For example, I know there is a common technique, involving blade mode, to beat Sundowner. However, after hours attempting to master that technique, I said fuck it and whittled him down with simple slash 'n dash. The mechanics for blade mode are frustrating; I know the concept and just can't get it down. Hopefully, a light bulb will go off as I know I'll need to master the blade mode to earn platinum.

Wretchedest
03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
This might be the silliest game ever....

Space Suicide
03-25-2013, 06:21 PM
I beat Metal Gear Rising today after letting it sit around after about a month. I only had to beat the final mission and jesus christ is Senator Armstrong annoying difficult. Gonna replay some missions for fun and get left arms, hidden box soldiers, VR stations, etc. BUT just in time as...

April is gonna see the Samuel Rodriguez Story Mission DLC release. (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/03/13-1/metal-gear-rising-blade-wolf-jetstream-sam-dlc-arrives-in-april)

Earlier this month, the playable character side of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's DLC—which includes separately released Jetstream Sam and Blade Wolf missions—was set for an April release. Now, thanks to a handful of new screens, we can see a bit of what's to come with Jetstream Sam's slice of the action.
There are a few things to take away from the screens below. Not surprisingly, it looks like Sam rocks a Zandatsu technique like Raiden, as well as some VR missions of his own. It also looks like he'll be treading familiar ground, but hopefully the $6.99 pack will offer up a new area or two.

october_midnight
03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Remember that Phantom Pain viral promo from E3?

Metal Gear Solid V. (http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-official-fox-vs-xof-461177345?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Now updated with trailer here (http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-official-fox-vs-xof-update-t-461177345?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow).

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-27-2013, 02:40 PM
My Metal Gear boner is SO HARD right now. I love this franchise so much.

Piko
03-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Remember that Phantom Pain viral promo from E3?

Metal Gear Solid V. (http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-official-fox-vs-xof-461177345?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Now updated with trailer here (http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-official-fox-vs-xof-update-t-461177345?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow).

First time I saw the Phantom Pain video, it seemed pretty obvious. What I'm now finding out is that it was original two games (Ground Zeroes), and now they're combined. Either way, I'm excited for this as I am every MGS game. I wish there would be a game with Zero though. So much story with him that I find it ridiculous that he hasn't appeared in other games (Peace Walker and probably this one as well).

Space Suicide
03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
I seen it. Looks awesome. I hope it's on this generation of platforms, butttttt doubt it. Sadly.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Me too. It looks for sure like it could be next gen (I haven't done any research yet, so I don't really know), and if it ends up being a launch title for the PS4, I'll probably throw every dollar I have at an inevitable MGS5/PS4 bundle.

exilajei
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
I seen it. Looks awesome. I hope it's on this generation of platforms, butttttt doubt it. Sadly.

Says PS3 at the end of the trailer :)

Looks great. My understanding from what I saw: super bizarre shit that relates to past MGS games while he's in the coma, and then a bunch of other weird shit when he awakens? Sign me up!

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
It could still be on next gen, though. Look at Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

Wretchedest
03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
I liked the look of the Phantom Pain for the few hours before i realized it was an MGS game. A trippy game whrre you have to deal with PTS and overcome war injuries? Sounds awesome and unique. But when I found out it was MGS i was a little disappointed. To be honest i have mixed feelings about the games. But when i saw this new trailer my hopes have been slightly renewed. It seems like it IS the above described game, but its also an MGS game.

Im a little confused, though. Theres MGS 5, MGS 5 Ground Zeroes, and MGS 5 the Phantom Pain? Three different games?

Piko
03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
I liked the look of the Phantom Pain for the few hours before i realized it was an MGS game. A trippy game whrre you have to deal with PTS and overcome war injuries? Sounds awesome and unique. But when I found out it was MGS i was a little disappointed. To be honest i have mixed feelings about the games. But when i saw this new trailer my hopes have been slightly renewed. It seems like it IS the above described game, but its also an MGS game.

Im a little confused, though. Theres MGS 5, MGS 5 Ground Zeroes, and MGS 5 the Phantom Pain? Three different games?

One game. Think MGS2. Originally it was two games with GZ being the prologue. Same thing, but now a single game. Apparently Phantom Pain takes place years after zeroes. I'm a huge MGS fan, so I'm excited either way.

I have one gripe though. No David Hayter... completely new voice actor for Snake/Big Boss. Maybe its to reflect him getting older? Still, it's going to be weird without him.

Wretchedest
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Ok one game. I go to game stop, pick up one MGS 5... ok, theyre doing a terrible job of making that clear though.

One of the things that repels me from this series is ita convoluted/over complicated mythology. It was something that almost instantly sunk my enjoyment of MGS 4... so theres more than one solid snake? Or theres a few of them?

Piko
03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Big Boss/Naked Snake (MGS3, portable ops, Peace Walker and MGS5)
Solid Snake (MGS1-2, 4)
Liquid Snake (MGS1)
Solidus Snake (MGS2)

Wretchedest
03-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Ha! Even in such a simple delivery it seems kind of tough to grasp...

My phone is a cunt by the way.

Piko
03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
If you REALLY want convoluted and hard to grasp, try Kingdom Hearts. MGS is a cakewalk compared to that.

Space Suicide
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Metal Gear Solid isn't hard to follow at all.

Wretchedest
03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I disagree... Ive always found it to be one of the most challenging, if not the most challenging plots to follow in any medium. The stories have been told in very lengthy installments across multiple platforms for more than fifteen years. Ive never had any of the games take a moment to relate to me the details of its predecessors. With the exception of Reveangence, they all just expect you to show up with your homework finished. The details are usually related during lengthy moments of exposition, through a monologue, before or after some ontense boss fight. And most of the series primary characters are different people with the same face and an only slightly different name. It couples these with exagerrated and breakneck tonal shifts, where youll go from getting high scores for the number of pieces you slice your enemies into, to be lectured by a man who supports the harvesting of the brains of kidnapped mexican orphans, where he asks you to consider the feelings of said enemiess while preaching about the war economy.

To me, it seems like an absolutely insane plot to try to grasp, but i havent invested as much effort into it, if only because it seems so intimidating, and with pretty low reward for that effort

BrokenSpiral
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
So this is the first I've learned that Hayter isn't voicing Snake. That's ridiculous!

Piko
03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
So this is the first I've learned that Hayter isn't voicing Snake. That's ridiculous!

Yeah... I'm not sure how I feel about that. Big Boss looks older, and his voice will eventually change to reflect that, so i'm not too disappointed. But, at the same time, Hayter's voice has been a huge staple for the series. So seeing them move on without him is "weird" and unexpected.

Piko
03-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Apparently, its two games again. Confirmed, no Hayter. MGS without him is like an Oreo cookie without the creme. Makes no sense.

edit: why facepalm it? I've been following the news on it. One day, they say it's one game, with Zeroes being a prologue. And the other, it's two games. And how the hell do you facepalm posts?

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Metal Gear "Legacy Collection" is on the way?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/18/metal-gear-legacy-collection-outed-by-korean-ratings-board?abthid=51705fb0ee399f7e5d000022

If it features some kind of HD remake of MGS1 or even a port of Twin Snakes, I might be on board. Granted, I own the HD collection, MGS1 on PS1 disc, and MGS4...Eh. I'll wait to hear more, but I'm probably gonna sit this one out.

Piko
04-18-2013, 06:39 PM
I had already picked up the HD collection. But! And this is a huge BUT! If they were to port Twin Snakes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If not, I'll just either play the gamecube version, or buy the PSN version.

liquidcalm
04-19-2013, 02:26 AM
I'd be a bit narked off if I had to buy the HD versions of 2, 3 and Peace Walker again.. I already have it on both Ps3 and Vita, but MGS1 in HD would be mighty hard to resist.. What if they used the fox engine? (they probably won't) Yum...

nemesiswontdie
04-19-2013, 03:19 AM
If it's a Twin Snakes port you can count me out. I can't stand that game. The original MGS1 is my favorite game of all time but TTS is a slap to the face to the original.

Piko
04-19-2013, 07:50 AM
I tried going back to the first game. It's a rough transition going back to it after playing TTS and everything else. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

liquidcalm
04-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Gameplay wise it was great, but I took some issue with Snake flipping the fuck out and going "GWWAAAAUHH??" a lot kinda off putting. Plus flat voice acting.. and frankly none of the charm. It's a bit like how the Square iOS remakes of Final Fantasy V just lacks the lovely pixel art.

Aladdinsanity
04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure how game designing works, but I wonder -- would it be possible to retain the visual and engine overhaul of Twin Snakes while putting back in place the music, script, voice-acting and cutscene mo-caps from the original MGS?

Space Suicide
05-02-2013, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rRzB6_sDPQ

Well, what else is new? Shame really. I own a PS3 but seriously don't want it or any of them on it. Rather my Xbox. I own MGS4 but I'd love to have it on Xbox.

Other news, the new Bladewolf DLC for MGR hits Xbox Marketplace and PSN on May 14th.

Piko
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I can't ever imagine MGS4 on any other console. It was specifically developed for PS3. If they would port it, they would have to change a great deal of stuff. Particularly, the battle with Screaming Mantis, which relies heavily on sixaxis.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-23-2013, 07:06 PM
If you haven't bought MGR yet and are interested in the Jetstream Sam and Bladewolf DLC packs, you can get all three bundled together on the PSN Store for $63.99, and Playstation Plus members can get it for 44 fucking dollars and 79 cents. Just throwing it out there.

You could actually buy 3 months of PS Plus ($17.99) AND THEN the MGR bundle ($44.79) and still save yourself a dollar ($62.78 total). If you're wanting to buy this game and don't have PS Plus, I'd definitely take that route. You can get Sleeping Dogs and a bunch of other goodies for free right now, for both PS3 and Vita.

Apparently, it comes with some skins, too.

For a limited time, download the complete Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance experience with this “Ultimate Edition”. The items included in this bundle are:

• METAL GEAR RISING: Revengeance (Full Game)

• 8 MGR Downloadable Content Items:
- VR Missions
- Jetstream Mission (Side-Story)
- Blade Wolf Mission (Side-Story)
- Cyborg Ninja Armor Skin (w/ powerful “Fox Blade”)
- METAL GEAR SOLID 4: Raiden Skin
- Commando Armor Skin
- White Armor Skin (Healing Power Increase)
- Inferno Armor Skin (Max Throwing Weapons Increase)
Experience Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance like never before. Buy it now!

nemesiswontdie
05-24-2013, 02:06 AM
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/pop4m6/Video%20Games/PlayStation%203/81RUeIjPdlL_SL1500_.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/pop4m6/media/Video%20Games/PlayStation%203/81RUeIjPdlL_SL1500_.jpg.html)

If you bought the HD collection on the PS3, you pretty much got screwed. MGS Legacy Collection is a PS3 exclusive and comes with every main story game.

MGS3HD
Peace Walker HD
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid 1 (original PS1)
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (Get to play as Gray Fox!)
Metal Gear Solid 2 HD
Metal Gear Solid 4 (with trophies)

I haven't read anything about MG, MG2, MGS1 and VR Missions having trophies or not. I really hope they add trophies to them. I'd platinum the fuck out of MGS1 and VR Missions since MGS1 is my favorite game of all time.

liquidcalm
05-24-2013, 02:58 AM
MG1 and 2 are included on the MGS3 special edition.
The new content is the VR missions for one (They said that 1 is just the psx classic version) and the Ashely williams digital comics. The comics are on PSP/Vita already.
So you are only really as screwed as any other directors cut/reissue package.
Sounds pretty nice, they haven't confirmed it for Europe though.. sad face,

konkelo
05-24-2013, 03:52 AM
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/pop4m6/Video Games/PlayStation 3/81RUeIjPdlL_SL1500_.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/pop4m6/media/Video Games/PlayStation 3/81RUeIjPdlL_SL1500_.jpg.html)

If you bought the HD collection on the PS3, you pretty much got screwed. MGS Legacy Collection is a PS3 exclusive and comes with every main story game.

MGS3HD
Peace Walker HD
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid 1 (original PS1)
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (Get to play as Gray Fox!)
Metal Gear Solid 2 HD
Metal Gear Solid 4 (with trophies)

I haven't read anything about MG, MG2, MGS1 and VR Missions having trophies or not. I really hope they add trophies to them. I'd platinum the fuck out of MGS1 and VR Missions since MGS1 is my favorite game of all time.

And I had to buy the HD collection......

Jinsai
05-24-2013, 04:20 AM
meh, I bought the HD collection for PS3 and Vita, so I already felt ripped off.

Piko
05-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Unless you want the graphic novels and VR Missions, I wouldn't bother. MGS1 is downloadable, I think. So it's basically the HD collection in a nicer package with DLC (MGS1 and VR), and two books if you don't feel like playing the first two games...

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just gonna try to track down a copy of VR Missions for PS1, and if I can't get that, I guess I'll just shrug it off. This should have been the HD Collection. I would've bought the hell out of it, even if they wanted $100 for it.

But hey, what better way to make money off new fans of the franchise after Revengeance?

Piko
05-24-2013, 10:32 AM
I'd rather hear more about MGS5. Not reissues they're repackaging after six months.

Clownboat
05-24-2013, 12:09 PM
For the price of a normal game, this is fucking awesome.

Space Suicide
05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
I'd rather hear more about MGS5. Not reissues they're repackaging after six months.

Which for MGR in general is also unfair to the Xbox 360 players yet again.

I'm interested in buying this for my PS3 but lack the funds to do so. If I had some I'd definitely do it.

Piko
05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm considering the option of "just to have it". Would probably look cool on a bookshelf. Trade in my HD collection. Something cool for the collectors I guess.

nemesiswontdie
05-24-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm considering the option of "just to have it". Would probably look cool on a bookshelf. Trade in my HD collection. Something cool for the collectors I guess.

I already traded in my HD Collection and MGS4 towards the Legacy collection. For $50 we get all of those games, plus the novels and an artbook. That's pretty awesome. It would also look good in my game collection as well.

Plus my copy of VR Missions doesn't work on my PS3 for some strange reason.

october_midnight
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Kiefer Sutherland is the new voice of Snake in MGSV. (http://kotaku.com/watch-konamis-e3-press-conference-right-here-511662592?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Go to about 10:35 in the video. Also, David Hayter is apparently unimpressed at his firing...

@DavidBHayter Ah well, Can't fault @RealKiefer Great actor, good man. The game will probably still be excellent. Like New Coke!

@DavidBHayter To my beloved Tweeps, I can't thank you enough for all your support. Getting fired was never so heartwarming. You all rock, DH
(https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter?tw_i=342691595436556290&tw_p=tweetembed)

Piko
06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Still bummed to see Hayter go. But, I'm pretty happy that they got Kiefer to replace him. I'm curious to hear his take of Big Boss now.

ghostaustin
06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm still holding out hope that Hayter is still bluffing and is going to appear in the game as Solid Snake.

GavinCollins420
06-10-2013, 12:56 PM
MGSV looks incredible. Dunno how I feel about Keiffer Sutherland voicing Snake, but I'm sure I'll get over it if the new trailer is anything to go by.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 01:39 PM
As far as Sutherland goes, I can dig him taking over as Big Boss. He's not Solid Snake, which I think is important to remember. We could still see Hayter later on, I think.

Oh yeah, and FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvhMqU9QKE

Edit: It's probably about time for me to finally play Peace Walker, huh?

Piko
06-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes, play Peace Walker. I'm kinda lost as to what they're doing with Ground Zeroes. Are they simply combining them? It's been said that it's the prologue though.

Game looks incredible though. Seems like it's part red dead, farcry, assassin's creed and MGS in one game.

GavinCollins420
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Apparently, Ground Zeroes is to MGSV what Tanker is to MGS2.

Piko
06-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Yeah. But they aren't very clear if it's a single game with two parts, or two separate games. It'd be nice if it plays out like MGS2 though.

exilajei
06-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Red band trailer holy shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMyoCr2MnpM

KarenLeslie
06-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm still holding out hope that Hayter is still bluffing and is going to appear in the game as Solid Snake.

Me too. I know it's not likely and he keeps swearing up and down that he hasn't been asked back for the game, but the big essay he wrote explaining that was released on April Fools Day, so...hope springs eternal.

50 Volt Phantom
06-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Me too. I know it's not likely and he keeps swearing up and down that he hasn't been asked back for the game, but the big essay he wrote explaining that was released on April Fools Day, so...hope springs eternal.
This is my hope too, the Kiefer switch up is really keeping me from fully being excited about this game, but a Solid Snake Hayter tease would make up for it.

Wretchedest
06-11-2013, 07:28 PM
This looks really, really good. It looks like it has the potential to be one of the best games ever. But I know from my experience that the depth in story implied by that trailer is likely to be hampered by wacky, over the top writing and that the gameplay will possibly suffer from retarded control schemes.

I REALLY hope this doesn't happen because I'm going to buy the game anyway.

Space Suicide
06-11-2013, 08:07 PM
As long as it isn't mostly cutscenes like 4 I'm good.

nemesiswontdie
06-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Anyone else think that the blonde kid in the trailer is

Liquid? I mean, he is a kid at that time and he was raised over seas PLUS it just looks like him. It has to be Liquid.

Piko
06-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Well...

It's definitely possible. He was born in the early 70s, and Phantom Pain takes place in the 80s, so he could be in it as a teenager. So timing could make sense.

And what about the old guy? Code Talker. Why do I have a feeling that he's Zero. Zero was in his 50s during MGS3. He looks awfully old, like 80s old. Plus, he ended up living past 100. Of course, though, I'm going by his codec info from MGS3..

nemesiswontdie
06-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Well...

It's definitely possible. He was born in the early 70s, and Phantom Pain takes place in the 80s, so he could be in it as a teenager. So timing could make sense.

And what about the old guy? Code Talker. Why do I have a feeling that he's Zero. Zero was in his 50s during MGS3. He looks awfully old, like 80s old. Plus, he ended up living past 100. Of course, though, I'm going by his codec info from MGS3..

Code Talker could be Zero. I mean, honestly, with Kojima, anything is really possible. There was some speculation that the sniper girl in the trailer (can't think of her name, Quiet, I think?) is Sniper Wolf.

Still waiting on that Snatcher remake, Kojima.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGP9bc8Imo

Piko
06-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Code Talker could be Zero. I mean, honestly, with Kojima, anything is really possible. There was some speculation that the sniper girl in the trailer (can't think of her name, Quiet, I think?) is Sniper Wolf.

Still waiting on that Snatcher remake, Kojima.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGP9bc8Imo

There's quite a few references from Snatcher throughout the series. Especially MGS1.

I'd be cool to see Sniper Wolf, but I seriously doubt that's her. Would definitely fit the trend since Psycho Mantis even makes an appearance. But I doubt it's her. But, if it is, it'd interesting. But I doubt it, considering her past referenced in MGS1

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
If there are going to be so many connections to MGS1 characters and lead-up to the events in Shadow Moses, I wonder if this is leading up to a super secret complete HD remake of MGS1.

Hey, while we're speculating...You never know.

nemesiswontdie
06-11-2013, 09:35 PM
There's quite a few references from Snatcher throughout the series. Especially MGS1.

I'd be cool to see Sniper Wolf, but I seriously doubt that's her. Would definitely fit the trend since Psycho Mantis even makes an appearance. But I doubt it's her. But, if it is, it'd interesting. But I doubt it, considering her past referenced in MGS1

Well, actually. It could be her and it makes sense if it was because she was saved by Big Boss (said so in MGS1 when she is dying) and she was around those parts when MGSV takes place. So I mean it COULD be her, but I'm not saying that's 100% correct either.

And actually MGS4's chapter 3 is basically a whole reference to Snatcher. Snakes young face camo looks EXACTLY what a modern day Gillian Seed would look like. Plus Gillian also wore the brown trench coat. Plus with MK. II following him around, it just makes it blatantly obviously.

Also, you find the song One Night In Neo Kobe City for the iPod in that chapter as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCq06Q5GS4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOwyvD2ecg

Piko
06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
I went back and watched Sniper Wolf's death. She could very well be Silent. She's a kurd, so she's from that general area.

nemesiswontdie
06-11-2013, 10:12 PM
I went back and watched Sniper Wolf's death. She could very well be Silent. She's a kurd, so she's from that general area.

Yeah, the place just seems right plus mentioning "Saladin" saving her and then seeing what looked like her strapped to that chair in the extended trailer (maybe when Big Boss saves her) it very well could just be her.

GavinCollins420
06-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Confirmation of Ground Zeroes = Tanker theory via Kojima retweet?

“@Ken1555: MGS: Ground Zeroes(Prologue) + The Phantom Pain(Main part) = MGSV: The Phantom Pain.”

Piko
06-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Yeah, the place just seems right plus mentioning "Saladin" saving her and then seeing what looked like her strapped to that chair in the extended trailer (maybe when Big Boss saves her) it very well could just be her.

Or, she's not Silent, but she's connected to her somehow. The girl in the chair could very well be her though. This game will definitely show the beginnings of Foxhound, most likely. And i'm starting doubt whether or not Code Talker is Major Zero. He's missing the scar under his eye. But knowing Kojima, it could have been done on purpose to throw people off with the trailer.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-12-2013, 08:38 PM
I think this is something people will be happy about -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-like-a-tv-series

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has explained that The Phantom Pain will be less like films than previous games, and more like a television show.
"I'm sure you're worried about if the cutscenes are as long as Metal Gear Solid 4," Kojima said during an E3 roundtable. "Since this time around we're using an open world environment," Metal Gear Solid V will have "less cutscenes [than before]." Because you'll be exploring, you'll have fewer opportunities to run into a cutscene that takes control away.

"If you think of Metal Gear Solids 1-4 as movies," Kojima continued, "[The Phantom Pain] is going to be like a TV series with episodes." Each episode breaks down into a non-linear missions with that eventually "come together to complete the story we have designed."
Ground Zeroes perhaps best represents this idea. "Phantom Pain is the big game, and included in that is the prologue, Ground Zeroes," Kojima said.

nemesiswontdie
06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Or, she's not Silent, but she's connected to her somehow. The girl in the chair could very well be her though. This game will definitely show the beginnings of Foxhound, most likely. And i'm starting doubt whether or not Code Talker is Major Zero. He's missing the scar under his eye. But knowing Kojima, it could have been done on purpose to throw people off with the trailer. Now that you mention it, Code Breaker didn't have the scar. So it's most likely not him. A friend of mine posted his prediction for MGSV, figured I'd post it here since it'd make for a good discussion.

I bet you Big Boss' arm was removed during his coma for use in Les Enfants terrible. The person who wakes up after a nine year "coma" is -actually Solidus Snake after he's grown up enough to resemble Big Boss. He was purposefully made to look exactly like Big Boss' exact clone.Therefore he has to pay for the "Sins of his Father". Just a theory though.

nemesiswontdie
06-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I was looking at the Legacy Collection cover that had the remake render of Solid Snake from MGS1. MGS1 is my favorite game of all time and I absolutely HATE The Twin Snakes. I like nothing about it. I was thinking though that I'd be alright with a MGS1 remake if they do a it properly.

I'd be 100% alright with a MGS1 remake IF:

1. Get ALL the ORIGINAL voice actors from MGS1 and give them enough money to where they wont half ass their work (Twin Snakes voice acting sucked)
2. Make it 3rd person with the option of over head view. Also, no first person viewing. Shadow Moses isn't designed for FPS. Makes it WAY too easy.
3. No over the top stupid shit. No back flips off rockets, no jumping on to Rex's leg (stupid idea) and so on. The ONLY over the top character needs to be Gray Fox and that's because he can actually pull it off with the exoskeleton.

Not asking for much. Just don't fucking RUIN IT LIKE TWIN SNAKES DID.

Space Suicide
06-12-2013, 09:13 PM
I quite liked Twin Snakes. But I don't compare it to the original version whatsoever.

Piko
06-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Now that you mention it, Code Breaker didn't have the scar. So it's most likely not him. A friend of mine posted his prediction for MGSV, figured I'd post it here since it'd make for a good discussion.

I bet you Big Boss' arm was removed during his coma for use in Les Enfants terrible. The person who wakes up after a nine year "coma" is -actually Solidus Snake after he's grown up enough to resemble Big Boss. He was purposefully made to look exactly like Big Boss' exact clone.Therefore he has to pay for the "Sins of his Father". Just a theory though.

Les Enfant Terribles already happened, before Peace Walker (1974), and it's even brought up during a phone call that you unlock aftef finishing all of the missions. The idea of it being solidus would be interesting though. And it would explain the voice change, and the bandaged guy's voice being the same.

Problem is, Solidus was created sometime after solid/liquid. He's definitely different from the other two, DNA-wise. But he also faces the affects of accelerated aging. So I dunno...

But, I figure the voice is different because of age (like ocelot sounding like Will Arnett).

The word Phantom must have some significance though.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Any idea if VR Missions will be available separately for a digital download? I mean...so far, that's really the only thing in the collection I can see myself buying it for. Maybe if I can still get some money for my HD collection, I'll trade that in and just switch it up, but eh. I'd much rather just pony up 10 bucks for VR Missions by itself.

Piko
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Any idea if VR Missions will be available separately for a digital download? I mean...so far, that's really the only thing in the collection I can see myself buying it for. Maybe if I can still get some money for my HD collection, I'll trade that in and just switch it up, but eh. I'd much rather just pony up 10 bucks for VR Missions by itself.

Think I read somewhere that MGS1 and VR are downloadable.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I downloaded MGS a while back, but I don't remember seeing VR anywhere on the PSN. Maybe I missed it, but if it is up there, I'm so all over that.

I think there's even a copy at the local game place. It costs a pretty penny, too, if I remember correctly...

nemesiswontdie
06-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I downloaded MGS a while back, but I don't remember seeing VR anywhere on the PSN. Maybe I missed it, but if it is up there, I'm so all over that.

I think there's even a copy at the local game place. It costs a pretty penny, too, if I remember correctly...

MGS1 and VR Missions will be a download code (was pissed when I found that out since I wanted trophies for the games but oh well. Now I can play them on my Vita).

You should be able to pick up VR Missions on eBay for decently cheap. I've had my copy of MGS1 and VR Missions since I was a kid and they're both in spectacular condition, but VR Missions wont play on my PS3 for some weird reason.

I don't think it's up on PSN, but it's also been awhile since I've checked. But they should be separate downloads as well since they're both completely different games.

VR Missions is worth it since you can play as Gray Fox and slit some throats. The other mini games though like time trails and the Mystery missions are great as well.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-12-2013, 10:33 PM
No kidding. I remember renting it when I was a wee lad and keeping it for close to a month. I should've picked it up back then!

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Heyo! http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/kojima-seeking-studio-to-remake-metal-gear-solid-in-fox-engine

Hideo Kojima is currently seeking a developer to remake the original Metal Gear Solid. In a roundtable interview, Kojima said he is in the process of finding a studio to use Kojima Productions' Fox Engine, which powers Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and improve the outdated gameplay systems of the stealth classic.

Previously, Kojima sought a western developer to work on the Metal Gear spinoff, Metal Gear Rising. Eternal Darkness developer Silicon Knights previously created a Gamecube remake of Metal Gear Solid, The Twin Snakes.

What would you want from a Metal Gear Solid remake, and who should develop it?

BrokenSpiral
06-25-2013, 06:45 PM
I haven't really followed the new MGS stuff in awhile. What is the new game and when is it supposed to come out? Is it Phantom Pain or Ground Zeros? Sorry for my ignorance.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
The short answer is that it's both. You can think of it like the Tanker/Plant chapters in MGS2. And there isn't a specific release date yet, as far as I know, but I think I remember reading 2014 somewhere.

nemesiswontdie
06-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Heyo! http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/kojima-seeking-studio-to-remake-metal-gear-solid-in-fox-engine

Like I said a few posts above

1. Get ALL the ORIGINAL voice actors from MGS1 and give them enough money to where they wont half ass their work (Twin Snakes voice acting sucked)
2. Make it 3rd person with the option of over head view. Also, no first person viewing. Shadow Moses isn't designed for FPS. Makes it WAY too easy.
3. No over the top stupid shit. No back flips off rockets, no jumping on to Rex's leg (stupid idea) and so on. The ONLY over the top character needs to be Gray Fox and that's because he can actually pull it off with the exoskeleton.

Not asking for much. Just don't fucking RUIN IT LIKE TWIN SNAKES DID.

Make it nothing like TTS and keep it true to the original and I'll be happy.

MrsMeowMeow
06-30-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new games.
I just wish they'd remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2:solid snake as well, they both didn't age that well whereas Metal Gear Solid is still playable these days imo.

Piko
06-30-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new games.
I just wish they'd remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2:solid snake as well, they both didn't age that well whereas Metal Gear Solid is still playable these days imo.

I'm sure that someday they'll remake those games. Especially considering that it's a major part of the lore. Im not sure if they want to do anymore games with Solid Snake though. And I think I rear somewhere that they don't want to use Campbell in any future games since the japanese voice actor for him isn't around anymore.

nemesiswontdie
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
I had so many damn problems with the Legacy Collection today.

First is that Gamestop didn't even get their copies of the Legacy Collection in. Then I cancelled on them and went to a local game store here and bought it from them. Then the voucher for MGS1 and VR Missions wasn't working because the PSN store didn't update yet.

And now since it has updated, the voucher is only showing VR Missions and not MGS1. Konami Support on Twitter is talking about fixing it, but damn. This collection has been a damn pain my ass all day.

The artbook is pretty cool. It's just a bunch of promo posters for each game (MGS1-MGSPW)

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/20130709_191006_zpsa2702ca5.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie3/media/20130709_191006_zpsa2702ca5.jpg.html)

Basically it's just the HD Collection with MGS1 and VR Missions and the graphic novels. Even when you put the second disk in (the second disk has MGS2,MGS3,PW and the rest, which is weird because MGS4 is the first disk. Printing error maybe?) on the XMB is says HD Collection and when you're at the main menu, it's the same as the HD Collection.

This really is just a glorified HD Collection with 2 extra games (I won't bother with the graphic novels since they apparently suck really bad).

Space Suicide
07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
This whole Legacy Collection seemed like a flopped idea. Your post about today's mess and the fact it's not even released on Xbox shows this was a rather bad execution with subpar handling.

nemesiswontdie
07-09-2013, 07:52 PM
They've said the reason that the Legacy Collection isn't on the Xbox is because MGS4 would take up to like 6 discs. So that's why they didn't put the Legacy Collection on the 360.

But yeah, it's been one giant fvcking mess. I haven't played any of the other games because I just want to play MGS1. I might already have a copy of MGS1 on disc but I want to play it without that weird clicking noise (on the original PS1 version, if you play it on PS3, you'll hear some clicking noises during codec conversations and cutscenes).

Space Suicide
07-09-2013, 07:54 PM
They've said the reason that the Legacy Collection isn't on the Xbox is because MGS4 would take up to like 6 discs. So that's why they didn't put the Legacy Collection on the 360.

But yeah, it's been one giant fvcking mess. I haven't played any of the other games because I just want to play MGS1. I might already have a copy of MGS1 on disc but I want to play it without that weird clicking noise (on the original PS1 version, if you play it on PS3, you'll hear some clicking noises during codec conversations and cutscenes).

I know, I believe I was the one to post that video about the disc space when it was first announced.

I just meant they originally wanted to release it on Xbox too but that idea fell short and now all this nonsense you told me.

Never knew that, I wondered why my disc sounded like it was being scratched hardcore the last time I played it.

nemesiswontdie
07-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah it's not your disc being scratched or anything. It's just a really weird bug.

Honestly, the reason I got this Legacy Collection was so that I could get MGS1 and VR Missions on my Vita and for the artbook. I sold my HD Collection to a friend for $25 so I just put that towards this LC.

nemesiswontdie
07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
So apparently the problem was 'resolved' with the voucher for MGS1 and VR Missions. This is what Konami said:

METAL GEAR SOLID: THE LEGACY COLLECTION

An update on the voucher code issue,
This issue was fixed early last night but if you redeemed your code and only received VR missions--you will need to contact SONY to get a new code for Metal Gear Solid. Please contact SONY via the options listed on this link:
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options/
We apologize for the issues that occurred with the voucher codes and the inconveniences that were caused.
-KONAMI Customer Support (http://www.konami.com/supports/#) Team

Well, I took the time to call Sony so I could get my voucher for MGS1 and guess what? I didn't get it. All they said was that they'll file a report for it. Then the guy told me to go through my download list even though I fucking KNEW it wasn't in there because I never bought MGS1 from the PSN store. He kept saying "well I see VR Missions in your download list. Are you sure that it's supposed to include Metal Gear Solid PS1 classic?"

I told him a million times that it was supposed to include MGS1 AND VR Missions.

This Legacy Collection was a big waste of time and a huge fucking pain in the ass. I'm debating if I should just buy the MGS1 from the PSN store just so I don't have to deal with the bullshit anymore.

Space Suicide
07-10-2013, 07:04 PM
So apparently the problem was 'resolved' with the voucher for MGS1 and VR Missions. This is what Konami said:

Well, I took the time to call Sony so I could get my voucher for MGS1 and guess what? I didn't get it. All they said was that they'll file a report for it. Then the guy told me to go through my download list even though I fucking KNEW it wasn't in there because I never bought MGS1 from the PSN store. He kept saying "well I see VR Missions in your download list. Are you sure that it's supposed to include Metal Gear Solid PS1 classic?"

I told him a million times that it was supposed to include MGS1 AND VR Missions.

This Legacy Collection was a big waste of time and a huge fucking pain in the ass. I'm debating if I should just buy the MGS1 from the PSN store just so I don't have to deal with the bullshit anymore.

You're not going to get the game code. Just buy it off PSN. I've been in several situations like your's before and they never wanna cough up a code and they play the blame game with each other.

Thiah
07-27-2013, 03:19 AM
Sunny Emmerich avenging the death of Hal would make for a great future storyline.(Hasnt happened) After playing Revengeance, I've been thinking of where the future timeline would go.

Piko
07-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Revengeance isn't canon though. Not sure where else they can really go with the series after MGS4. Lots of room inbetween though.

Space Suicide
07-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Sure? I heard it was canon as of 2018, way after the events on MGS4.

Piko
07-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Considering how they ended mgs4, and how much of a contradiction it is, yes. The timeline is 2018, and takes place after. It's not canon though. They even confirmed it in interviews prior to release.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-28-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty sure it's definitely canon, just not a Metal Gear Solid game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7BTtiAQuZ0#at=38

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Rising:_Revengeance

It is the ninth canonical entry in the Metal Gear series, set four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, where players control Raiden, a cyborg who confronts the private military company Desperado Enforcement.

The game is a spin-off that is "not part of the Metal Gear Solid series", although it is considered part of the same universe, and thus "canon".

And here I was hoping that there was news about MGS: VR Missions being available as a stand-alone purchase on the PSN. D:

nemesiswontdie
07-29-2013, 02:29 AM
Yeah I thought Rising was canon as well.

Piko
07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
I just remember reading something with Kojima before the game released and saying it's non canon. Dunno, maybe it was bogus.

Edit - just watched the video. Guess it's canon

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I just remember reading something with Kojima before the game released and saying it's non canon. Dunno, maybe it was bogus.

Edit - just watched the video. Guess it's canon

It's super confusing! Basically before he switched the project over to Platinum, it wasn't canon, and then something changed when they revamped the project, aaand it became canon. Doesn't really matter much to me, I guess, because it doesn't really FEEL canon; mainly because it's completely different from every Metal Gear game. Cool to know, though. I wonder if they're ever gonna build on the gap between MGS4 and MGR, or if they'll just continue Solid Snake's story after MGR/MGR2.

Piko
07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, originally it was to be set inbetween MGS2 and MGS4, likely explaining how he became a cyborg. They ended up cancelling it, until eventually handing it over to Platinum, who ended up going the safe route and basing it four years after MGS4. I was always under the impression that while it took place in 2018, that it was non canon and had it's own contained storyline, which I guess is wrong.

And it's impossible to continue Snake's story as he's likely long dead by the time of Rising. He only had six months to live, so he likely died not too long after MGS4.

It's kinda dumb for them to completely contradict the mgs4 ending though. let's make raiden human again, and a family man. Then, four years later doing the complete opposite.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
How human WAS he by the end of MGS4, though? I don't remember him becoming any more human. I wanna say I remember them just fixing him up, making him appear to be less of a killing machine from the Patriots messing with his body, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I saw the ending. Didn't he essentially just go back into a downward spiral after he started remembering his childhood and all the things he'd been through, then fucked off again? I don't even remember.

I REALLY need to give the entire franchise a good play-through again to re-familiarize myself with the story, but man. Metal Gear has one far-fetched story as is. MGS4 just mixed things up even more. Sometimes I wonder if playing through would even help much!

As far as retconning storylines, I'm pretty sure Kojima's rationale for any of that is just "because fuck you, that's why." Maybe that was why they just kinda gloss over that in MGR.

Piko
07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Maybe it's "not canon" because kojima doesn't like it? He almost refuses to acknowledge portable ops. So it wouldn't be that surprising. He has no problems letting people know how little of an involvement he had in those games.

And I think they did turn him back into a human. In one game his blood is white, and in thr other, it isn't. That probably means nothing though. Just seems like they moved stuff around so they could make a game.

darktemplar007
07-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Finished MGS2 last night in my replaying of the series. I forgot how much I loved the last hour of that game, it just gets fucking wacky fast, and it's a blast.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Finished MGS2 last night in my replaying of the series. I forgot how much I loved the last hour of that game, it just gets fucking wacky fast, and it's a blast.

I replayed that shit so many times! Especially the fight after you get the HF blade. Hell NO, I'm not gonna use my guns!

Maybe it's "not canon" because kojima doesn't like it? He almost refuses to acknowledge portable ops. So it wouldn't be that surprising. He has no problems letting people know how little of an involvement he had in those games.

And I think they did turn him back into a human. In one game his blood is white, and in thr other, it isn't. That probably means nothing though. Just seems like they moved stuff around so they could make a game.

That's probably exactly what happened. Honestly, like I said, it doesn't FEEL canon to me, but if it is, then hey...any sort of conflicts with previously established plot points and details are pretty much par for the course in the Metal Gear universe.

MrsMeowMeow
07-30-2013, 11:23 AM
MGS2 was an awesome game, except for the fact that in the end everyone was like "haha, I double crossed you" "no, I fooled you all, I actually work for XY" etc it got really confusing imo.

Usually I like stuff like that and the part where Campbell started acting all weird was great. And I loved the idea of a secret organisation running things.

But I always forget parts of the plot thanks to all these revelations... and that was the first step to complicate the MGS4 plot

Piko
07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
The multiple plot twists towards the end got very confusing. That final hour made the entire series a mindfuck. Cool idea, just poor execution imo to an otherwise stellar game. I kinda think that MGS4 (and the database) is there to not only add closure to the series, but really sit down and explain what the hell is really going on. It literially takes you by the hand and tells you EVERYTHING Darpa Chief = Sigint? Mind. Blown...

Either way, it's still one of my favorite series of all time.

nemesiswontdie
07-30-2013, 03:57 PM
MGS2 is actually my LEAST favorite in the series (not including Portable Ops).

MGS1 being my favorite game of all time, it's pretty hard to top it and MGS2 just didn't do it for me. Going from characters like Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf and Vulcan Raven, we get Fortune, Vamp and....FAT MAN!

The story didn't do it for me either.

I will say this though. The ending sword battle with Solidus is fun as fuck though.

When they released MGS2: Substance and I saw that you could unlock a Gray Fox skin for Raiden in VR, I was all up on that.

Space Suicide
07-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Why is there always the least amount of love for MGS2? I love(d) that game a lot and found the pacing and plot really picks up after dismantling those fucking bombs. Lots don't give it a chance after the Tanker portion (this isn't aimed at anyone here).

That Harrier fight is fun.

nemesiswontdie
07-30-2013, 04:36 PM
For me, it was just that was no where near as good as MGS1 in my opinion. I'll still play it when I replay the series before MGSV, but it's not a game I just pop in to play when I'm bored.

Piko
07-30-2013, 04:40 PM
I love MGS2. I just didn't like all of the plot twists in such a small period of time. Other that that, the gameplay AND the story was good. I just think the ending could've been less convoluted.

darktemplar007
07-31-2013, 12:35 AM
This is an amazing in depth analysis of Metal Gear Solid 2 that I recommend any fan of the series check out. (http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm)

reseen_lamenti
07-31-2013, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

reseen_lamenti
07-31-2013, 03:11 AM
holy HELL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ziXMBuqOQ

ComaAlpha
08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
The only thing I really have to say, is that Metal Gear kicked ass. Great story, simplistic playing (what do you expect for a cartridge console game from the 80s) and a real puzzler of a game to beat. I loved it. I know I've played some of the Metal Gears between the first and Solid, but I don't remember beating any of them.

Now on to Metal Gear Solid. GREAT game. The only thing I had a problem with is that I needed a turbo controller to save Meryl. (Just like I needed a turbo controller for my Genesis to do the couch fishing on Beavis & Butthead). I would've liked to seen Sniper Wolf live, but I didn't write the story, so oh well. The gameplay was awesome. The story was awesome. It was just awesome. I kept playing it on the Pizza Hut demo disc and kept thinking "I'm going to get past this damn DAARPA Chief"

2 to me felt EVEN MORE AWESOME! I did not like playing as Raiden though. For the most part I looked past that and envisioned Snake in Raiden's place. Another thing that pissed me off is that his name is spelled Romeo-Alpha-India-Delta-Echo-November yet it's pronounced "Ridin". When I know of a certain other video game that has a character with the same spelling of the same name and it's pronounced "Rayden"

Anyways, I actually liked the boss battles in the second one. Don't remember much of the story though.

I bought 3 and returned it immediately. I couldn't get out of the fucking jungle. Tried to download different camos, but of course Sony had to make it a pain in the ass to try and connect to the internet with your PS2. So like 2, I don't know any of the story.

I'm sure what I forgot in 2 and what I missed in 3 was more than filled with 4. After playing (or watching I should say) 4, I feel that as far as cinimatics and plot goes, I was more than satisfied. Although it felt like there was only 10 minutes of actual gameplay. They should've just released MSG4 as a CGI movie instead of as a video game. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that Snake scratched, clawed, climbed and crawled through a micowave without his body exploding like Meatwad's in the newest episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

I donno, I guess I have to go back and get all the different consoles from NES on up and play them all one by one again.

darktemplar007
08-20-2013, 10:57 PM
^^I suggest giving MGS3 another go. It's amazing, my favorite in the series and definitely in the running for my favorite game of all time.

Piko
08-22-2013, 12:21 AM
I was iffy about it as well. Eventually, I sucked it up and played through. Quite possibly my favorite.

nemesiswontdie
08-22-2013, 02:27 AM
I bought 3 and returned it immediately. I couldn't get out of the fucking jungle. Tried to download different camos, but of course Sony had to make it a pain in the ass to try and connect to the internet with your PS2. So like 2, I don't know any of the story.

MGS3 is my second favorite in the series and is usually regarded as the best in the entire MGS series. MGS3 is a really good game, though figuring the controls out and with the jungle being such a vast and open space, it's kind of overwhelming at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, trust me dude, you'd love it.

Also, if you can, play the Subsistence version (the Subsistence version comes with the HD Collection and the Legacy Collection) because Subsistence has updated controls. It has 360 camera control. The original MGS3's camera was really really awkward.

ComaAlpha
08-23-2013, 10:15 AM
well, three different replies with praises to MSG3. I think I'll have to buy it and borrow my buddy's PS2

Piko
08-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Now that I think about it. I think I've only ever played the subsistence version, and never the original.

Space Suicide
08-24-2013, 11:50 AM
MGS3 is my second favorite in the series and is usually regarded as the best in the entire MGS series. MGS3 is a really good game, though figuring the controls out and with the jungle being such a vast and open space, it's kind of overwhelming at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, trust me dude, you'd love it.

Also, if you can, play the Subsistence version (the Subsistence version comes with the HD Collection and the Legacy Collection) because Subsistence has updated controls. It has 360 camera control. The original MGS3's camera was really really awkward.

The only issue I ever had with MGS3 jungles being confusing were the areas where you fought The End. That boss fight was annoying as hell anyways. Fucker runs way too fast. Getting his camo is even more a bitch. I've never even bothered.

Now that I think about it. I think I've only ever played the subsistence version, and never the original.

I have the original still and I have the HD Collection on my Xbox 360. The camera is different and there's some control tweaks but it's largely the same.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-24-2013, 12:16 PM
The only issue I ever had with MGS3 jungles being confusing were the areas where you fought The End. That boss fight was annoying as hell anyways. Fucker runs way too fast. Getting his camo is even more a bitch. I've never even bothered.

Duuude! The End is one of my favorite MGS bosses ever. I can see where it'd be a hassle for others, though. It's definitely not a fun fight for everybody.

Piko
08-24-2013, 12:19 PM
First time I ever fought The End, I was completely clueless. Had no idea where he was, or where to go. Eventually, I found out about the cheat way of beating him. Finally beat him legit when the hd collection came out.

nemesiswontdie
08-24-2013, 05:36 PM

I never had a problem with The End and the area you fight him in. The most trouble I have when it comes to a boss is believe it or not, The Fear. Without thermal goggles, that boss fight is fucking brutal.

Piko
08-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Last playthrough I had of it, I struggled more with The Fury. I don't remember having much hassle with him before, but this time I did. The Fear can just be a real pain in the ass if you don't have the goggles or know what to do beforehand.

Space Suicide
08-25-2013, 10:23 AM
The Fury was my favorite MGS3 boss and Cobra Unit member. His monologues were great as well.

When I was younger and just got MG3, I created a separate save file to make sure I could play that fight again and again when I wanted to.

nemesiswontdie
08-26-2013, 07:04 AM
The Fury was my favorite MGS3 boss and Cobra Unit member. His monologues were great as well.

When I was younger and just got MG3, I created a separate save file to make sure I could play that fight again and again when I wanted to.

The Fury is my favorite as well. My least favorite is The Pain. His fight was boring and he's just kind of a dumb character.

Space Suicide
08-26-2013, 08:31 AM
The Fury is my favorite as well. My least favorite is The Pain. His fight was boring and he's just kind of a dumb character.

The Pain was just annoying due to being untouchable on that rock.

The Sorrow is a cool character but can be super easy/boring if you're a stealth master. Whenever I boot up my HD Collection again, I might have like 3 enemies in that tunnel trek to worry about.

nemesiswontdie
08-26-2013, 09:56 AM
I think The Sorrow is cool, but yeah if you don't kill anyone the entire game, then his part is beyond boring.

Am I the only one who can't get into Peace Walker? I've tried it a few times but each time I never made it far. I just don't like the whole tactical RPG feel that it has to it. I don't know. I just can't seem to get that much into PW.

MrsMeowMeow
08-26-2013, 12:28 PM
I really loved The End nd the fact that you could end that fight in more than just 1 way. The Fear and The Sorrow were also cool, especially the first time when you don't know whats going on exactly.

I still can't decide which game I prefer, MGS or MGS 3 Snake Eater..

Space Suicide
08-26-2013, 03:03 PM
I think The Sorrow is cool, but yeah if you don't kill anyone the entire game, then his part is beyond boring.

Am I the only one who can't get into Peace Walker? I've tried it a few times but each time I never made it far. I just don't like the whole tactical RPG feel that it has to it. I don't know. I just can't seem to get that much into PW.

Basically summed it up.

I also can't get into or like Peacewalker and I've tried several times to play it then get halted with enthusiasm. I should just try to beat it sometime.

Thiah
08-30-2013, 09:44 AM

For the longest time I didn't play Peace Walker. I didn't like the controls and the graphics. Once I got past that, it was good for me. The story isn't too much but it's VERY essential for MGSV. I like the way you can go on little missions as well. Researching all your gear and tech is pretty neat too. From what I read, this feature will return in MGSV.

On another note, I'm one trophy away from getting platinum on MGS2 HD but the last trophy is completing all the vr missions...that's over 550 missions. :(

Piko
11-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Ground Zeroes - spring 2014. Apparently won't be 60 bucks. Can't imagine it being too long of a game...